Speaker 1: We celebrate in love and we danced.
Speaker 2: Then it was amazing.
Speaker 1: Then the rockets started in gunshots everywhere.
Speaker 2: We managed to escape, but.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of friends that didn't.
Speaker 4: What we will do to our enemies in the coming days, will reverberate with them for generations.
Speaker 2: A missile hit in the square and there was rubble hitting us. As we were walking. There was glass metal. It was like doomsday.
Speaker 5: There are civilians here whom are not our enemy, and we do not want to target them. We are asking them to evacuate.
Speaker 1: There are fifty people in the house without any food, drink, water, or electricity.
Speaker 2: I don't know how we'll provide food for our children.
Speaker 6: War isn't what we're looking for, but war was forced upon us by a bloodthirsty terrorist organization.
Speaker 5: On the seventh of October, Hamas attacked Israel. One two hundred people were killed and more than two hundred others taken to Gaza as hostages. It was the largest loss of Jewish life since the Holocaust. Israel's military response was swift. At the time of this recording, Gaza's Hamas run government says more than fifteen thousand people have been killed there, including thousands of children a moment ago. You heard from some of those at the heart of this story in Israel and in Gaza, but the impact of the conflict is being felt far beyond the Middle East, from Cape Town to Paris, London and New York. Reports of hate crimes have risen dramatically. It's a difficult evolution to measure, but our global team of Bloomberg journalists have been collating the data, allowing us to build a unique picture of rising anti Semitism and anti Arab, anti Muslim sentiment. For this special program, we've brought together some of the journalists who worked on this project to hear what they found out and some of those affected. Let's start in New York, and our bureau chief, Katia Poorzakanski is with us for this. Katia, what's changed in New York for the Jewish and Muslim communities since the seventh of October.
Speaker 4: I'd say New York is on edge. The city is a home to the largest Muslim population in the United States, but also the largest Jewish population outside of Israel. We've had demonstrations in the streets starting the day after the attacks in Israel and seemingly haven't stopped it's been a constant flow of demonstrations in the streets and on campuses, and it's putting all the communities on edge.
Speaker 2: Kati.
Speaker 5: A lot of this discourse has been playing out, as you've said, in universities. What is the conversation that's being had there? What sorts of things have we been hearing from from people attending those universes.
Speaker 1: So in the.
Speaker 4: United States, universities are in large part bound by freedom of speech, which means you can say a lot, you can protest, of course, you can hold signs, you can say hateful things. In large part, universities, however, are also bound by the Civil Rights Act. They have to protect students from discrimination. So you're having this kind of strange situation happening on campuses where the bounds of free speech are really being tested, but at the same time administrators are being scrutinized to make sure that they're not allowing for discriminatory environments. The Anti Defamation League has seen a tremendous surge in anti Semitism incidents in the country and says a large bulk of them are happening on campuses. You have assaults, threats in Cornell University a student was arrested for making threats to kill Jews on campus and to shoot up the Kosher dining hall. But then you also have, you know, the perceived anti Semitism that students are feeling, for example, from some of the signs that are being held at some of the demonstrations on campus. And that's where you get into kind of this gray area where one student is saying, look, this is a direct threat on my life, and another student I say, you're misinterpreting what I'm saying here. I spoke with two individuals who are trying to bring the two communities together, Rabbi Mark Schneider and Imam shamzi Eli, and they met with a Jewish community of students from different schools in the New York area, and then they met with a community of Muslim leaders similarly from the schools in the area. And you know, one of the first things that happened in their meeting with the Muslim leaders was the Muslim students that we are not pro Hamas, and we are being conflated as being pro Hamas. We are trying to demonstrate for the city of Gaza that are being killed. When you talk to Jewish students. You know, they're saying you have signs that are saying from the river to the sea, and that is a direct threat for the eradication of Israel and a threat on my life potentially. So these are the nuances that are appearing. But then they're also very blatant acts of hate that are really concerning to leaders.
Speaker 5: We'll come back to New York in a moment, but I want to go next to Paris and Bloomberg's Jenny Chain and France's home to the largest both Jewish and Muslim communities in Europe. That's numbers based though on survey evidence, because official statistics in France don't include religion due to the seculers and principles and trined in French low Jenny, I want to talk to you about how much we know about how much hate crime has increased in France since the seventh of October.
Speaker 7: It's really hard to quantify the change in a number of hate crimes in France since the start of the war. The French government has been very vocal about the rise of the anti Semitic acts in the last few weeks, but authorities have not been very good at providing comparative data, particularly about the number of acts totaling Muslims in the same period, and you have seen the government is taking a different approach to these two different communities. There was a cross country march against Scientism held earlier in November that drew one hundred and eighty thousand people and several government officials, including the Prime Minister, Elizabeth Won.
Speaker 1: Obviously, it was important for me to be here with my government to say that France must protect all of its citizens who may be worried because of their origins, all their religion. The government and all ministers want to say to all our fellow citizens of the Jewish faith that we are at their sides, we are alert, and we will not let anything pass us by.
Speaker 7: On the other hand, a few days after the war, the government tried to issue a blanket ban on pro Palestinian demonstrations. Later a court rule that it was up to regional authorities to decide on a case by case basis. But we're seeing this uneven data in this different approach to the communities, and that's it's made it hard to track the difference in acts targeting Jewish people here and Muslim people here.
Speaker 5: France has seen several high profile anti Semitic attacks in recent years, the attacks on a Jewish school and Toulose in twenty twelve, the supermarket attack in twenty fifteen as well. How have the community been responding to this latest rise in anti Semitism?
Speaker 7: So the government has given numbers on Antisemitic acts since the start of the war, and there have been more than fifteen hundred and that's more than three times all of two thousand and two. But it's partial data, so they haven't produced data on anti Muslim acts. But the result has been that there is more concern within the Jewish community and Juna dan Ashi, the president of Kreef, which is an umbrella organization for Jewish groups in the country, said that some Jewish people have changed their day to day behaviors and that may include a notably kind of removing outward religious symbols such as taking the star of David Arthur Nicholas or changing their names to a lesser Jewish stunding name when they're putting in in order on food delivery apps.
Speaker 5: Let's go to South Africa next. Michael Cohne is our South Africa government reporter in Cape Town, of course, Michael. The history of racial division as well known as South Africa. But this is a conflict that's created a very different kind of schism. The government's position on the Israel Hamas War. How is that effect during the Jewish community there.
Speaker 8: Traditionally relationships between the Jewish community and the government have been pretty cordial. We've seen the Rebbils being invited to speak at major nationally ben So, You've seen the president going to the synagogue and so on. Since startbreak of the war, the relationship has really gone down the tube, and the Jewish community is really really unhappy about the position that the government has taken of Africa. Is one of five Developing Nathans that's called on the Criminal Court to investigate where the Israeli authorities are guilty of war crimes. They are really very disappointed at the government's failure to express their sympathies about all the people that were killed in southern Israel. The relationship really is at an all time and low. Incidance of anti Semitism here I've also spiked We've seen a number of protests on a weekly basis. We've seen protests from both sides. The situation really is at its lowest ever.
Speaker 5: Michael I wanted to bring in one of the interviews that our team has conducted for this piece. Karen Milner is the national chairperson of the South African Jewish Board of Deputies. Let's take a listen to what she has to say about this.
Speaker 3: And we've seen over eighty incidentss of antisemitism in the last month, and the severity of those.
Speaker 8: Are much much worse.
Speaker 3: We've seen a rabbi who was a TechEd in his car, there was an attempt to drive him to put him off the road that he was subject to gross into Semitic abuse, and there was an.
Speaker 2: Attempt to raim his car.
Speaker 3: So that's one example of the level of fun and anti Semitism that we're starting to see unfortunately.
Speaker 5: So that's Karen Milner from the South African Jewish Board of Deputies. We've also been speaking to Roshan Dado, who's the coordinator of the South African Boycott, Devestment and Sanctions Coalition. Let's take a listen to her position.
Speaker 8: Well, I would.
Speaker 3: Question the fact that there's been a search of anti semitism because again, I think people who are opposing what the States of Israel is doing opposing this genocide and desigonists. It's against designs projects.
Speaker 5: Of course, that's a very strong language that some people would find offensive, and Jewish people would in d say is representative of the sentiment that they're experiencing in many parts of the world as well. Michael, how complex is this relationship in terms of its evolution and how we can consider how serious this increase in anti sim incidents has been.
Speaker 8: The Jewish community is a really very small component of the population, less than zero point one percent, but they have quite a prominent role in the legal fraternity, in business and so on. I think it's a really tricky time for the Jewish community here. We've seen leaders saying that the government is not standing up for them and that they're really concerned about their future here. Most of the protests that we've seen have been recently peaceful. We had one pro Israel protest that was broken up by some pro Palestine supporters and four people were arrested. I think there are concerns that things could spiral out of control.
Speaker 5: Of course, the Muslim community in South Africa is much larger. The country home to almost a million Muslims. Have there been a rise in incidents of Islamophobia as well.
Speaker 8: I haven't picked that up in any meaningful way. I think partly because the Jewish community is so small. But there'll be no incident of anything in that direction. I mean, we've seen security at schools and synagogues being intensified. I don't think them get Muslim schools and mosques.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's come back to London next. Our reporter aim and Firehat is here with me now. London, aiming like New York, is somewhere where there is a significant amount of data that can help us to understand what's happened since the seventh of October. What numbers are available first of all, and what have they told us about the trend?
Speaker 9: So according to the Metropolisan Police, on average is about sixty cases of ant Semitic crimes in London every month, but in October, just after the attack, there have been five hundred and thirty three. That's almost nine times more than usual. And for ssymophobic attacks it's the same thing. It's about two to three times as much as the norm. So definitely been a huge surge of it. It's also what we hear we talk to people in the street. I spoke to different community leaders. I spoke to rabbiosmams and they're saying that tensions are very, very high. You know, we've had mass protests on the street basically every Saturday, and this culminated in the eleventh of November. We had this big protest that kind of came to clash with some far right groups. So the eleventh of November is remembering today in the UK, remembering the fallen soldiers across different wars, but specifically for World War One, and lots of people from the far right decided to call on their supporters that conduct to London to protect the monuments and this did cause some clashes with the police. Eighteenth police officers I think were injured, lots of violence there. The protesters were mostly peaceful, but there is a lot of tension around this.
Speaker 5: One of the interviews that you have conducted around this issue, Merian Berger, is the senior rabbi of the Finchally Reformed Synagogue, and you spoke to her just before that demonstration in London.
Speaker 10: I think it's a really difficult time to feel safe after.
Speaker 9: June in London.
Speaker 10: At the moment, I don't think that cancelling the rally would have been something that would have made us feel safer. It would have potentially made more people more committed to doing something that you know, this way comes under the auspices of the police to be able to patrol, to be able to work in dialogue with the organizers, and to be able to be in dialogue with the Jewish community to say how can we help them make you feel safe at this time. So, you know, I think everyone's doing what they can do and hoping for the bests that extremists don't win out. But actually the nuance and moderate voice is the one that we hear going forward and the one that's able to bring people together.
Speaker 5: And it was the question of policing that was central to the political debate around that particular protest. Is there a sense that authorities have moved on from that response? Now, how are they approaching this issue given the rise and incidances that you've told us about.
Speaker 9: You exactly right, politicians, some call for these marches to be banned. At the end of the day, the met police they have you know, plans in place to keep people safe and all that, and when you talk to the different community groups, whether it is you know, Miriam who you just had the clip there, or to different people in the Muslim community.
Speaker 4: They do.
Speaker 9: You see that they are working constantly with the police to make sure the people are safe on public transport and these marches, and most of the time it works very well. You know, that has been quite a positive message. And Sidi Khan, who's a mayor of London, he's also really put an emphasis on this kind of bringing communities together. You know, at the remembrant service for this that was just before this march, he had a multi faith element where he had people from different communities giving prayers and he really really tries to get people to work together on this issue and really not talk about the divisive topics but more bring people together.
Speaker 5: Let's take a listen to some of that interview with Citi.
Speaker 11: Can you know these things have happened in the past. This is the worst I've known it. I used to be a communities minister in two thousand and nine when Israel was involved in a military altercation with Gaza. I think to Selle's really serving to the middle of January and I remember then as a community of minister the impact of communities across the country. But this is worse than that.
Speaker 5: That was the Mayor of London City can there aim And I wonder when we look at the response from authorities, from the likes of Citi can as well. Does this give the communities in London a sense of safety in somewhere where we have seen the rise and incense like these.
Speaker 9: I mean, right now, safety is not worth that most people talk about. I mean people do feel unsafe, you know, at the moment. I think a lot of people say that as this war goes on, if this will continuees for however long these tensions will continue. There is a realization that London is a good place for different communities and eventually things will get better. But right now people do not feel safe.
Speaker 5: But let's go back to Paris and our reporter Jenny Chay. We talked earlier about the French government's attempt to ban some of these demonstrations and the subsequent legal cases that came around. Is there a sense the French government has come with a coherent response to this problem.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure they have. I spoke to Abdella Zecre, president of the French Council of the Muslim Bates Observatory, on Islamophobia, and you told me that it would have been better to have a march for peace, because when you have government officials, of course, joining a march against antisemitism, it can leave the impression that the government is mainly supporting Israel, and some people in the Muslim community might feel alienated. At the same time, the government has also not really been able to provide coherent data on the exacts. I mean, they're obviously speaking a lot about the rise of anti Semitic acts since the war, but the fact that they haven't given comparative data for acts against Muslims over the same period it raises questions about the kind of data that is being compiled and whether it's being compiled in a way that makes it easy to analyze so that the country can track these racists and discriminatory acts during times of conflict, but also during normal times.
Speaker 5: Katia Poisikanski in New York, you talked to through the debates that are happening in universities, the demonstrations that are happening in the streets of New York City are communities both Jewish and Muslim, feeling comforted by the actions taken by authorities.
Speaker 4: In terms of school authorities. No, I think everyone is displeased on both sides. The Department of Education has now opened seven investigations into schools in the United States. Three of those schools are in New York for discrimination, so the pressure is on for them to kind of get the situation under control, but both sides are disappointed. For example, in Columbia University, they suspended temporarily two of the pro Palestinian student groups for repeated violations when it comes to their demonstrations, including one that proceeded against the rules that included intimidation. But by shutting down those groups, they've now spurred all sorts of accusations of shutting down free speech, chilling criticism of Israel, and faculty and students have written in protest against the school for doing that. From the Jewish community, they want to see more action taking place. They want to see quicker responses to acts of anti Semitism. A few students at Columbia University gave press conference a few weeks ago about anti Semitism that they've faced at the school and how there has been an unsatisfying response from administrators to investigate those accusations.
Speaker 12: My Jewish sisters and brothers and I are on the receiving end of death threats from our peers. Undergraduates who have filed reports about these intents have been left with no emotional support, no feedback, and no consequences for the perpetrators of these hateful actions. As a result of this in action, there are Jewish students who do not feel physically safe on campus.
Speaker 4: At Cooper Union, several students came out and said they felt completely unsupported by the school. When there was a protest that got intimidating and there was some students that entered a library. There were some Jewish, visibly Jewish students in the library behind a glass wall and the protesters were banging on the wall. That was a very intimidating moment for those students. So there was a lot of scrutiny on that event, like what happened? Did the school not have control over that protest? So there's an investigation there too, So that is something that administrators are currently grappling with. There's also been a tremendous scrutiny from alums, donors, and employers. We reported about a list of dozens and dozens of law firms that wrote to the top law schools in the country, saying you have to do more to protect against anti Semitism on your campuses with kind of you know, a veiled threat there. If you don't know, we're going to be thinking twice about hiring from your schools.
Speaker 5: Indicative of some of the high profile attentions that's being paid to this issue in New York Michael Cohen and Cape Town. Is there a sense that that same attention is being paid to this issue where you are.
Speaker 8: I think there have been recent attempts by the government to kind of cool things down, But we had a prison sam up of the writer a weekly letter to the nation in which you was saying there's no place for violence or threats or threats of violence against those who hold country reviews, that South Africa's painful history must be a reminder about the cost of a divided society. And there have been meetings between Jewish organizations and the government, but at the same time, the government's actions are clearly reiterating its extremely pro Palestinian and anti Israel stant I don't think while the Judicia organizations that said they appreciate that the meetings with the government and so on, and don't they through the authorities are taking any kind of steps to defuse the situation in a way, and they're still really unhappy at the stunts of the government to take.
Speaker 5: Okay, I want to come back here to London and bring you one more clip of another interview. This is with imman Ata, who's the director of tel Mamma, which is the national Anti Muslim Hater, Islamophobia Monitoring and support service.
Speaker 6: Listen, as long as the conflict is right, Palestini is going, I don't think things will stop here, although it's thousands of miles away from us, by impacting our communities here heavily. Unless that conflict stops, that's when things maybe would start coming back to normal. And I wouldn't say it would come back to normal as you'll see everyone happy and everyone talking with each other. No, it will take a lot of time, and there are bridges that must probably have been broken through our bridges that are shaken. Certain ones almost probably can get back to reconnecting, but there's many bridges unfortunately got broken this time because people are just too angry, people that have got too many emotions going, People are grieving, people lost loved ones, and people just don't seem to see the humanity in each other.
Speaker 5: That's a Manuta of Tealmama speaking to Aim and fire house Aim and I wonder we've heard this from various interviews, there being a sense of breakdown among the community's. London prides itself on being this multicultural city that welcomes communities from all over. Is there a sense that the damage that has been done can be repaired.
Speaker 9: I think what happens in the Middle East is a huge, huge impact on what happens in London. Even though it's thousands of miles away, it still affects people here. There's just so much trauma. You know, as you said in that clip, you know, people have lost loved ones and people are very angry with you know, on both sides. The politician's rhetoric doesn't help either. You know, some people have been flaming things. Social media as well is a huge issue. I think, is this whole debate tell mom Actually, in their own data, they showed that more than half of hate crimes is online. I think the online community, the online space, is helping stick a lot of this hate, keep people angry, keep people in these echo chambers, and so right now it seems very very difficult until things get resolved in the Middle East.
Speaker 5: Bloomberg's aim in Farhat in London, Katti of Porzikanski in New York, Jenny Chay in Paris, and Michael Cohen in Cape Town. Thank you to you all. After we recorded this conversation, three college students of Palestinian descent were shot and seriously injured near the University of Vermont's campus in Burlington, or Police said they have no additional information to suggest a motive. They noted that two of the victims were wearing traditional Palestinian scarves known as cafeas at the time of the assault. I'm Stephen Carroll. Thank you for listening. This is Bloomberg.