Speaker 1: It's just before seven am on January twenty ninth, twenty twenty five, in Scottsdale, Arizona, willase search war. Arizona has a reputation for relentless heat, but after years of living there, I know better. Winters in the desert can be chilly, and this morning was one of those days. It was forty five degrees and still dark outside.
Speaker 2: We have a search warn Okay, we're serving on the behalf of the Maricopa County's Attorney's office.
Speaker 3: You need to open up the door.
Speaker 1: The Scottsdale Police are at the home of thirty four year old Laura Owens. She and her parents live in one of the most desirable areas of Scottsdale. Think upscale ranch style homes on spacious lots. It's a rare urban neighborhood that still allows horses. But this morning the calm and quiet was interrupted.
Speaker 4: We might entry.
Speaker 5: We're you're contacting the character right now.
Speaker 3: You're good to move to the.
Speaker 1: Laura lives in a casida on her parents' property, which is kind of like a little studio apartment that's separate from the main house. Through a sliding glass door, officers can see Laura who is already awake and feeding her dogs.
Speaker 5: Laura, scott Stale police.
Speaker 4: Can you see my badge?
Speaker 5: What with the scott step Police department?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Can you come out and talk with us police?
Speaker 4: No, the county attorneys have a search warm for your property, so we need you to come out.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: It's not even seven in the morning.
Speaker 6: That's fine.
Speaker 1: Laura looks incredibly thin, dressed in an oversized Fleetwood mac t shirt and leggings. Her dark hair is pulled back in a ponytail. She's not exactly shocked to see the police, but she is annoyed by their timing.
Speaker 3: I was told that if the police were going to calm they would come during business hours. Can I call my attorney please?
Speaker 1: Laura reaches for her cell phone and calls her attorney, David Jingers.
Speaker 3: David, do you know what's going on right now?
Speaker 1: The Scottsdale Police are trying to handle this as calmly as possible, but Laura's getting more agitated by the minute.
Speaker 5: Our target is very animated at this point. The season to come out. She's speaking to us through a.
Speaker 4: Sliding glass door.
Speaker 5: We're getting her an.
Speaker 4: Opportunity to talk to her attorneys and they don't have to escalate things.
Speaker 5: But that's just where we're at right now.
Speaker 3: I'm going o'clock in the morning. She's on speaker with her attorney, and the attorney's advising her.
Speaker 5: To come out.
Speaker 7: There's a lot open the door.
Speaker 3: Did you think of authority to search for i'n o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: With her lawyers? Okay? She slowly opens her screen door and the Scottsdale Police lead her into the main house where her parents are waiting. Laura's having a meltdown.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 5: I agree. This is so. Laura is a subject of an investigation by the courts is regarding that.
Speaker 6: Even when it's not even seven o'clock, get pregnant by the fucking wrestler.
Speaker 1: The Bachelor, as in the hit reality TV show Imagine, one of its stars a former lead at the center of a major paternity scandal. The man whose story prompted this early morning police raid is none other than Clayton Eckered. He's one of the most notorious and unpopular bachelors of all time. His season fell to pieces, leaving him single and rejected by the woman he'd fallen in love with. After the show, he moved to Scottsdale, Arizona, hoping for a fresh start on the show. Clayton didn't meet his person, but after moving to Arizona, he would meet the person that would change the course of his life forever. I'm Stephanie Young and this is Love Trapped Tractic. Nearly two years before the police raid, Laura Owens hooked up with Clayton eckered and allegedly became pregnant. That is only the beginning of the story, a story that is still very much going on. It's about how difficult it can be to verify the truth, especially when facts are constantly shifting.
Speaker 7: Anytime someone doesn't want to give you the full information, they lose all credibility.
Speaker 4: I don't know what she did, but we certainly didn't rule out the spit maneuver. The things that she said to Clayton, the famous lines about don't want you to feel how tight I am and stuff like that. Why would she have said that if they had already had sex.
Speaker 7: She says, we were sexually intimate. Okay, well, now he's saying you only had two blowjobs.
Speaker 5: Blowjobs don't make babies.
Speaker 6: It's like a miracle somehow that she got pregnant.
Speaker 7: She could have shot herself in the ass with fertility drugs.
Speaker 6: They hooked up, but they didn't have sex.
Speaker 7: Turkey Basters. It's just so chaos.
Speaker 1: In the end, the man at the center of this drama would begin to question everything, setting him on an all consuming path to prove the truth.
Speaker 5: Hello, this is Clayton speaking.
Speaker 3: Hey Clayton and Stephanie from Glass Podcasts.
Speaker 5: How are you today, Hey, Stephanie. I'm doing good. It's honestly just another slow Friday today.
Speaker 1: When I first heard about this case, it sounded simple, but as I began looking into it myself, the twists and turns became increasingly strange. So I gave Clayton a call.
Speaker 3: We have emailed back and forth a few times about this whole Laura Owen saga and I want to tell your story. I want to tell it in a podcast and get all the details out there. I know you've shared some, but I don't think that you've shared all of them yet.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's so much I do want it out there, just full transparency. I just I hope it's told correctly.
Speaker 1: This would be my first of many phone calls with Clayton. I live in Chicago now, but I used to call Arizona home. It's one of my favorite places. It's where I attended college, It's where I got married and began my career in radio and podcasting. I was actually in Arizona shopping for a wedding dress when I first heard about this on the news, and I'll be heading back there soon to start reporting on this case myself.
Speaker 3: So how do you feel about letting me share your story?
Speaker 5: I mean, Stephy, I hope that over time that this becomes a budding friendship and like I can trust you and it can be told in the way that it needs to be told and how I would like for it to be told. But I'm going to also just again be completely honest because that's how I live my life. I've been screwed over so many times by producers that have told me this is how I'm going to be seen and then it's complete opposite. So, like, is there a little bit of hesitancy? Yeah, I'm going to definitely want to be in the know as much as possible.
Speaker 1: Clayton's story is an epic battle of he said. She said, It's a story about who you believe and why. Over the past two years, it's ignited the Internet, becoming a kind of viral cautionary tale. Along the way, dozens of citizens, sleuths, and armchair investigators joined the conversation, scrutinizing every little detail. But here's the thing. When the news broke that Clayton was part of this paternity scandal, no one believed him at first because he was a reality TV star and an unpopular one at that. All of a sudden, his word was at the center of a case that would put him back in the spotlight in a way he never expected.
Speaker 3: Just so you know, I have family that lives in Phoenix, So next time I'm in Arizona, I'd love to try to get together and maybe have a conversation to see how we can tell this story together in a way that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I think that'd be great. I mean, I'm a huge believer in just face to face interaction, and I would really like that that way, obviously, we can get to know one another and understand what seriously we're both getting into. Because I you were going to be in over your head.
Speaker 1: And he was right. I had no idea how big this story really was. To really understand what's going on here, you first have to understand how Clayton was portrayed on TV and why he was so unpopular. You see, his season of The Bachelor ended in flames.
Speaker 4: The Rose ceremony from hell. It's one of the most memorable moments in the history of the show that basically blew up his whole season.
Speaker 7: I promise you, when you look back at this.
Speaker 1: This is gonna a hant you.
Speaker 5: The fact that you let me go.
Speaker 1: It didn't help that the three final contestants were some of the most likable in the entire franchise. Clayton came off as almost insensitive, but that's only part of what earned him the title of most hated Bachelor ever. He left the show in embarrassment. The internet turned on him.
Speaker 5: This is going down as an all time bad season. He's going down as an all time bad Bachelor. I've been saying all season that I think this guy sucks.
Speaker 1: His words and his actions did not line up.
Speaker 7: I see any of these people defending this guy, how many Shame on you.
Speaker 1: And in the end, Clayton was left alone. He was at an all time low.
Speaker 5: I was the worst Bachelor ever. At this point, people were hating me everything that they were watching on TV. I thought, how am I ever going to recover from what I've done.
Speaker 1: I'll admit it. I have always been a fan of The Bachelor franchise, but I missed Clayton's season, and it turns out a lot of people did. Before I began reporting on this story, I went back and watched Clayton's season. I've got to be honest. While I was definitely entertained, it was also a bit of a train wreck. I could see why he got the reputation he did. Even his brother Nate didn't think he did a very good job.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't give him the best grade. I think he was authentic. I think he was himself, but it just ended up getting him in more trouble.
Speaker 1: Respectfully, there have been many other Bachelor contestants who have actually committed crimes. Clayton's only crime was not being likable. He's blunt and truthful, and oftentimes that lands him in hot water.
Speaker 5: When people watch a show like The Bachelor, they think that they know you based on what they watch on TV. And what sucks is that I didn't get a great edit, and so now people were less likely to want to rally behind me with this whole cause because they didn't like me based off of what they saw on TV.
Speaker 1: I had my own preconceived notions about Clayton before I met him, kind of thought the same thing a lot of people did. He was your typical playboy. I had to get to know him myself because the story isn't about the bachelor.
Speaker 5: Hey, how's it going.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you really are that tall.
Speaker 5: I got less with some hight. Good to see you too, Absolutely welcome to the humb little abode.
Speaker 1: I met Clayton for the first time last August when I was visiting my parents in Arizona. He's a big guy. His hands are double the size of mine. He's got a killer smile, hazel eyes, and a square jaw. He has thick, curly hair most men or women would die for, and at six', five he towers over.
Speaker 5: ME i drank cream soda growing, up and my parents, said you, know if you keep drinking, that you're gonna stunt your. Growth SO i switched over to, milk AND i think there was hormones in the. Milk all those hormones were probably pumping up.
Speaker 1: My, Today clayton is a pretty normal. Guy he's in solar, sales he's a, realtor he takes hip hop dance, classes and he owns and manages An airbnb In. Scottsdale in, fact the DAY i met, him he shared his original concept of an Optional airbnb add, on where for an additional, fee he would personally provide guests with the Private Rose ceremony.
Speaker 5: EXPERIENCE i give them the exact same spiel THAT i would have given to the women on the. Show i'm so grateful that you all are here tonight's for this incredible. Moment what a journey we all have.
Speaker 1: Had as a lifelong fan of the. Franchise when he recreated This Rose ceremony, moment for, me it was Like clayton became The bachelor.
Speaker 5: AGAIN i had a videographer here to film all of, that AND i released it in THE abc hit me with The Seasoned.
Speaker 1: Assist The Season assist wouldn't be the last of his legal, troubles as you'll soon find. Out so how Did clayton even get here in the first? Place what was his path to becoming The? BACHELOR i wanted to start from the. Beginning clayton grew up In, missouri and spent twenty eight years of his life. There And clayton is your Normal midwest.
Speaker 5: GUY i grew up with my two younger brothers and we're just a household of, boys and we competed in every single, thing from sports to. Grades so a lot of WHO i am today stems from those early childhood. Challenges amongst me and my.
Speaker 1: Brothers clayton says his younger brother outshined.
Speaker 5: Him he had a lot of confidence growing up THAT i never, possessed and so he succeeded at a higher level than. ME a lot of the girls loved. Him he was smooth because he didn't overthink. Things, MEANWHILE i was getting friendzoned by all the girls in my. Grade even girls in my grade liked my brother more than they liked.
Speaker 1: Me When clayton got to high, school he was determined and to prove.
Speaker 5: Himself that's WHEN i, Decided, hey the way THAT i establish worth is by becoming the best on the football field and becoming like the most sought after man THAT i can.
Speaker 1: Be clayton had a good senior football, season not good enough to get a, scholarship but good enough to walk on the team at The university Of.
Speaker 5: Missouri everyone expected me not to make. It it's A DIVISION i, program top program in the, state.
Speaker 1: And he made. It he became a tight end on the team and even went on to play in THE. Nfl he was cut early, on but, hey he made. It that's what mattered to, him and this experience led him to the next chapter in his, career medical device.
Speaker 5: Sales they love their, athletes so they're, like, hey we don't care if you don't have any sales. Experience we love, athletes and so they bring me. On SO i get this, nice great job out of.
Speaker 1: College clayton paid his dues in the industry while living In, Columbia. Missouri he was big into fitness and posting his workout videos On, instagram but on his twenty eighth, birthday he had what he referred to as a quarter life.
Speaker 5: CRISIS i had this epiphany WHERE i REALIZED i had not grown as a person in five. Years that's HOW i. FELT i was doing the same job That i'd been doing for the last five. Years, ROMANTICALLY i was just dating. CASUALLY i hadn't grown in that regard, whatsoever AND i REALIZED i need to get out of this. Environment i'm.
Speaker 1: Stagnant that's when everything changed for.
Speaker 5: HIM i got A dm from a casting producer On. INSTAGRAM a producer From The bachelor was searching via fitness, hashtags WHICH i had put on one of my, pictures and that's how they found.
Speaker 1: Me it wasn't the first time he'd been. Scouted he'd been approached to be On Love island and AN Hbo christmas dating. Show he turned them both down and told his brother that the only show he would considers The. Bachelorette but then when the opportunity was actually presented.
Speaker 5: To, Him i'm, like there's no WAY i can do. This so my brother brings it up one day and he's, like you're you going to go on the? Show AND i, SAID i don't think. So he, goes, oh so you're not a man of your. WORD i, said what do you? Mean he, goes don't you remember that conversation we? Had he, said you said the one show you would go on as a. Bachelorette he, goes and so now you're not going to do, It so you're not a man of a, Word and that's ALL i.
Speaker 1: Needed he agreed to go On The. Bachelorette he barely watched the, show except when he was glancing over his mom's.
Speaker 5: Shoulder it was my mom's favorite show growing. Up it was always on in our.
Speaker 1: House clayton was cast On Michelle young's season Of The bachelorette in twenty twenty. One michelle's a natural beauty with wavy black. Hair she's a college basketball player turned elementary school. Teacher clayton thought she was dropped dead, gorgeous but when he got on set for the first, time he was overwhelmed by the production of it.
Speaker 5: ALL i will never forget my first night BEFORE i walked onto reality. Television he was.
Speaker 1: A nervous wreck when he got out of the limo to Meet.
Speaker 5: MICHELLE i step out the. Limo lights are blinding. Me they, said if you mess, up keep. Going there are no. Redos when the cameras were thrown on, me it was just a. SHOCK i was in that, moment wondering IF i was swaying my arms too much WHILE i was. Walking that's how hyper FIXATED i was on the minute, things because all of a, sudden in that, moment you're like nothing is, hidden everything is out, there.
Speaker 1: And things didn't get any better once he met the other guys.
Speaker 5: First GUY i see ends up being the guy that won the whole. Thing he's six foot, eight light, skin looks like a. Model i'm, like, Oh i'm. Done there's no Way i'm gonna make this last longer than one night if this is my.
Speaker 1: Competition clayton made it past night, one but he didn't get a lot of screen.
Speaker 5: Time it was hardly Any it was like eight minutes. Max.
Speaker 1: Maybe ultimately he was sent home before hometown. Dates michelle walked into the limo and he was driven off the, set but the next Morning clayton was called for one final exit. Scene michelle was an elementary school, teacher and earlier in the, Episode clayton met two of her. Students he was brought in to shoot a final scene where the two kids gave him handwritten goodbye. Letters we Watched clayton read each letter and well up with.
Speaker 5: Tears it was surprising because you are super genuine AND i liked you a, lot AND i know you'd be a really great husband for Miss. Young you will probably meet someone else and fall in love and have lots of kids and be a great.
Speaker 1: Dat clayton didn't realize it in the, moment but this scene was his screen test to be The. Bachelor this is one to.
Speaker 5: Find love so badly AND i have a, Family, Well i'll do whatever it takes in.
Speaker 1: Them he nailed, it and then his producer made the. Offer they wanted him to be the Next. Bachelor Even clayton was.
Speaker 5: SURPRISED i got sent home with seven guys ahead of, me SO i figured that wasn't even. Contention so when he said, THAT i was, like, Yeah i'll do.
Speaker 1: It clayton said something that stood out to. Me he was sent home earlier in the season than most future, leads so picking him was kind of a strange. CHOICE i wanted some insight on, this SO i turned To Reality. Steve he's a, podcaster, blogger and de facto authority on The bachelor. Franchise he knows how the show works behind the. Scenes here's why he thinks the show Casts clayton as the.
Speaker 4: Lead my guess was to control, him a guy that they could clearly, See, hey he's going to do what we tell him to do because he's so grateful for this.
Speaker 1: Opportunity the thing, Is clayton was grateful for the.
Speaker 5: Opportunity it was validation THAT i was, special which the people pleaser and me was always. Chasing so to have that moment come to a place where it was, like we want you to be the. GUY i was, Like i'm the, guy and you don't just become the guy without having a whole track record of.
Speaker 1: Success he finally found the validation he was looking, for but he didn't realize that once you invite the world, in you can't tell them when to.
Speaker 5: Leave i'll never forget. This producer looks at me and she, goes take this moment in because this is the last moment of silence that you'll likely have in your life for a long. Time if, ever that's the MOMENT i, remember because my life has never been the same since that. Point the noise has never.
Speaker 1: Stopped clayton began filming his season of The bachelor in Late september of twenty twenty, one and he was ready to find.
Speaker 5: Love POINT i was so overcome with just. Excitement what is my? Life this isn't even. Real pinch, me but don't actually pinch, me because if this is a, DREAM i don't want to wake up from. It that's how grateful and EXCITED i. WAS i was just soaking it all in AND i felt Like i'm going to give everyone the love story that they're looking, for BECAUSE i got the genuine heart that's actually looking for something. Serious this is gonna be a fairy tale. Ending i'm going to write off at the sunset and be the hero that everybody was anticipating i'd, be or it wants me to. Be that's WHAT i believed was going to. HAPPEN i really believed that up until like the last. Week where the fuck DID i go?
Speaker 1: Wrong so here's what. Happened When clayton got down to the, finalists he broke an unspoken rule of The, bachelor which is the show doesn't really work if you tell all the finalists you're in love with, them especially while they're all standing in front of.
Speaker 5: YOU i still to this, DAY i didn't REALIZE i was an untold. RULE i believe in radical. Honesty it's probably gotten me and actually has gotten me in trouble more than a few times in my.
Speaker 1: Life not only Did clayton admit to falling in love with all of the, finalists he also revealed that he'd had sex with two of. Them here's what he. Said he was.
Speaker 5: Thinking every emotion was rushing. In it was a LOT i, MEAN i was so drained at that. POINT i had a mix of frustration with myself. Sadness to see the looks on the faces of the. WOMEN i realized that things were going and the exact opposite direction THAT i planned for them to.
Speaker 1: Go The Rose ceremony From hell was filmed In, iceland And clayton's parents and two brothers were there. Too while it was being, filmed his family was out to dinner with some of the show's, producers who were getting frantic texts from the production. Team Here's clayton's, Dad.
Speaker 2: Brian even the producer told me WHEN i was sitting in a room with. Her she, goes you, know mister, record your son gave us some great. Material unfortunately it's just gonna look like. Shit she, GOES i don't know why anybody to save. Him it was, like, well we'll see what it looks like when it comes.
Speaker 1: Out the producers were, right it didn't look good For clayton in the. End there were three. Women the first Was, rachel a radiant blonde who was also a. Pilot next Was Gabby, wendy a nurse and FORMER nfl cheerleader with a quick. Wit she's since become a pop culture icon who you might have seen On The traders And dancing with The. Stars when she was On clayton's season Of The, bachelor she was not happy with how he handled.
Speaker 8: Himself i'm pissed BECAUSE i spent the last two days away from my family and my friends who actually get the bit about me and you.
Speaker 1: Don't that was. Rough then there Was. Susie she was a wedding, photographer Former Miss virginia, actually and she was the One clayton was leaning. Towards But susie decided to leave the competition. Early right before the, finale she got cold feet about getting. Engaged in a very unusual and risky, Move clayton sent the other two finalists. Home he wanted to propose To, susie and, surprise, surprise she was still In. Iceland so he made a grand gesture and asked her to come to the final rose. Ceremony she agreed to show, up and when he handed her the, rose she said what no other contestant has ever said.
Speaker 8: BEFORE i have made the decision to Leave iceland. Alone it doesn't like take away from everything that we've had and the love THAT i genuinely feel in my heart for.
Speaker 1: You in other, words she said. NO i Asked clayton, if in that moment he regretted becoming The.
Speaker 5: Bachelor, yes one thousand. PERCENT i Wish i'd never answered THAT dm WHEN i, yeah, Absolutely that's HOW i.
Speaker 1: Felt clayton told me that he felt like the producers pushed him to develop a strong connection with more than one, woman and they encouraged him to try that last ditch effort With.
Speaker 5: SUSIE i felt like the producers were trying to lead me and potentially produced me into reacting a certain, way and SO i started to, question are we on the same, Team, like AM i able to really just do WHAT i? Want or is there some type of motive here from you all THAT i need to fall in line.
Speaker 1: With it's telling That clayton didn't realize this until the. End here's, Reality.
Speaker 4: Steve they took advantage of a naive guy who didn't know television and didn't know the process of this show and had a field day with.
Speaker 1: Him shortly After clayton returned from filming the, show he received A dm From susie On instagram asking if they could talk about what happened In iceland And clayton.
Speaker 5: Agreed we had a three hour conversation that night and talked a lot about producer involvement and how it stopped us from being able to pursue the relationship.
Speaker 1: Further susie felt the same way that producers forced them into a. Decision at the, end.
Speaker 6: It just felt like producers got really, involved AND i felt like the whole situation felt manipulated and, orchestrated AND i didn't know who to trust, anymore whether it was not Trusting clayton or, producers AND i was, LIKE i just need to leave.
Speaker 1: Here after that, conversation they decided to reconnect and give the relationship a go on their own terms without. Cameras But america couldn't know yet because the show hadn't. Premiered Living Through it had been one. Thing Then clayton joined the millions Of americans watching his season play out ON. Tv it did not go well the premiere.
Speaker 5: Trailer it started off all, happy go, lucky and then the back half of the trailer they just showed everything blowing. Up they showed that clearly there's no love story. Here it's full, drama and they set me up for failure right out the.
Speaker 1: Gate and the internet was. Ruthless clayton knew it had been, bad he didn't know it had been this.
Speaker 5: Bad so many of those people that sent me death threats told me THAT i never deserve, love told me that they would put a bullet in my head if they ever saw me in, person tell Me i'm, stupid. Ugly my physique was, attacked my actions were, attacked and it's like they all forgot THAT i was a. Human i'm, like, Guys i'm still a human. Being this stuff.
Speaker 1: Hurts the show provided mental health resources for as long As clayton needed.
Speaker 5: Them it's just a shame because you would hope that you wouldn't have to ever utilize them in the first.
Speaker 1: Place clayton knew he wasn't, perfect but as the finale, approached the online hate took its toll on.
Speaker 5: Him my mental health was the worst it's ever been in my. LIFE i, thought wouldn't it better IF i just wasn't. Here there was a point WHERE i focus in on the closed drawer in front of me that had my pistol inside the, drawer AND i start having the thought just that it's, there AND i felt weak in that, moment AND i almost felt guilty, for you, know even considering, that BECAUSE i thought there's no WAY i could ever put this type of pain in my, family AND i knew at that, POINT i was, LIKE i got to get out of this. Environment this is not.
Speaker 1: Good clayton reached out to The bachelor producers for.
Speaker 5: HELP i, SAID i am in a terrible place right. Now i'm having extremely dark. THOUGHTS i feel. WORTHLESS i need.
Speaker 1: Support he desperate wanted to see his Girlfriend, susie but the rules were if they wanted to meet in, person they had to go through producers, first since the show was still. Airing susie was genuinely worried about. Him Here's.
Speaker 6: Susie at the, time he didn't mention the gun in the, drawer BUT i remember also calling producers at the same time AND i, said, HEY i really think something is very wrong AND i don't think he should be alone right.
Speaker 5: Now thankfully they understood the severity of. It they got me out on a red, eye they got her out on a red, eye AND i then had at Least susie there to support.
Speaker 1: Me, soon during the live, Finale america would find out the truth About clayton And susie's. Relationship are you guys back?
Speaker 5: Together that's my.
Speaker 1: Boyfriend you'd think this news would have Started clayton's redemption. Arc he And susie did end up together after, all but that's not what. Happened the online trolls started to come For susie.
Speaker 6: TOO i received some of the most, like, disgusting, graphic nasty Messages i've ever received in my life after the final.
Speaker 1: Show that was a lot to go. Through susie felt like The bachelor left them out to dry and let them take the fall for producers. Decisions there's a.
Speaker 6: Lot of criticism On clayton on how things, happened AND i think some of that is deserved and some of it is also, like, okay we have to take a step back and recognize that there's a whole production behind.
Speaker 1: It when the show, Wrapped clayton And susie had to deal with being a publicly hated. Couple their relationship wasn't celebrated like Most bachelor, couples and their social media accounts were spammed with hate. Comments they were both just trying to feel normal again after nine months of dating under intense online, Scrutiny clayton And susie decided to call it.
Speaker 6: QUITS i think our relationship was just too tumultuous to. Last LIKE i think that we went through something really really traumatic together and that could have brought us. Closer but we both were two people that went through something really really hard and we just didn't have the toolkit to like make it.
Speaker 5: Work WHEN i lost, HER i lost a, rock you, KNOW i lost somebody that really fully understood.
Speaker 1: Me he took the breakup, hard so we spent the next year working on. Himself at the end of twenty twenty, Two clayton wanted a fresh.
Speaker 5: START i moved To, Scottsdale, arizona which is the hot. Spot there is so much happening. Here it's very close to all The West coast.
Speaker 1: Cities having lived, THERE i can tell you it's kind of a party, town.
Speaker 5: Very fast, paced a lot of, distractions a lot of problems as.
Speaker 1: Well it's almost fitting At scottsdale is one of the most popular destinations for bachelorette.
Speaker 5: Parties WHEN i got To, SCOTTSTOWE i didn't have dating on my. MIND i HAD i had a big old party, mindset AND i, THOUGHT i get to be, single AND i get to be single as The, bachelor Former, bachelor And i'm going to just milk this moment And i'm going to have my.
Speaker 1: Fun he thought it would be smooth sailing now That The bachelor was behind. Him damn was he. Wrong after a nightmarish stint in the public, Eye Clayton eckerd began building a new life In, Scottsdale. Arizona In april of twenty twenty, three he announced On instagram that he got his real estate. License he figured that his notoriety from the Show i'd even help him launch his. CAREER a few short weeks, later he got a message On LinkedIn from a potential real estate, client someone Named Laura.
Speaker 5: Owens The LinkedIn message, Said, Hi i'm looking to connect with similar minded young entrepreneurs In. SCOTTSDALE i see that you work for the AND i actually contacted them. Recently they were going to connect me with someone who could help me find investment, properties but haven't. Yet let me know if you can.
Speaker 1: Help Laura's LinkedIn profile didn't have a, photo But clayton's.
Speaker 5: Did it was My bachelor, photo the photo From night one of The.
Speaker 1: Bachelor you'd think that her not having a photo might be a red flag. Right, Well clayton saw it.
Speaker 5: DIFFERENTLY i, Figured i'm the, bachelor AND i have a level of fame to. Me this is not at all that's. SURPRISING i, MEAN i had people that came up to me once at a coffee shop and said they wanted to work with me in real. Estate SO i exchanged my contact info with her to get in front of her so THAT i could hopefully get my first real estate deal.
Speaker 1: Done And laura didn't waste any.
Speaker 5: Time the text messages started right, away constant, texting and she knew a lot about real, estate more THAN i even knew BECAUSE i just got my. License SO i felt LIKE i was trying to play keep up with.
Speaker 1: Her laura was asking all the right, questions But clayton also realized she was testing the.
Speaker 5: Waters at, first she was flirting a. BED i was keeping it very. Professional was twenty thousand dollars commission on the, line good amount of, money AND i was trying to keep the transaction going.
Speaker 1: ALONG i sat down With clayton and had him walk me through the printouts of their initial. Messages you mentioned she was flirting with you a little. Bit can you read one of those messages and kind of give me an example of what you're talking.
Speaker 5: About in all, honesty, THOUGH i had a great time talking to you and would actually love to get a drink with you next week if you want.
Speaker 1: To and how did you handle that?
Speaker 5: FLIRTATION i, Thought i'll just continue to be, professional push this, along let her feel however she, feels and if she wants to flirt here and, there whatever we can let that.
Speaker 1: Be so you told me your profile picture was the photo of you from The. Bachelor do you think she had any idea of who you?
Speaker 5: WERE i don't think she did know WHO i. WAS i, mean of, course you, know she could have googled me and found out very, quickly but based on what she had said to me and her, TONALITY i assumed that she didn't.
Speaker 1: Know, Okay so then you thought she was flirting with, you not because you were famous or the Former, bachelor but because you're you a, tall thirty something year old guy.
Speaker 5: HANDSOME i, mean, HEY i appreciate all those, compliments but, YEAH i, mean, TRUTHFULLY i just, thought, like, yeah she Thinks i'm, Attractive, okay no big. Deal i'm just really fixated on getting my first real estate deal done and starting a new chapter out here in Scott still and also just having people see me for WHAT i truly, am not what was shown ON, tv which was produced and.
Speaker 1: Edited clayton set up some showings For laura later that, week and the flirtatious messages.
Speaker 5: Continued and, then obviously there was a turn of. Events one.
Speaker 1: Night clayton had just moved into a new. Apartment that, evening he went To, ikea ordered a, pizza and started to put his new furniture.
Speaker 5: Together SO i took this edible And laura was texting, me SO i sent her a text.
Speaker 1: Back this was three days After laura's initial message To. Clayton at that, Point clayton started to feed into the. Flirting Then laura made a bold. Move she sent a.
Speaker 5: Photo the SECOND i got that, PHOTO i was, like, okay well the logical brain kicked.
Speaker 1: Off clayton invited her to come.
Speaker 5: Over she was a little hesitant at. FIRST i think she was surprised THAT i was inviting her, over but then she decided that she would come.
Speaker 1: Over from, there the exact details of what happened that night are only known to two, People clayton And. Laura as we continue this, series we'll hear a few different versions of what allegedly went, down but we're going to start With clayton's.
Speaker 5: Version that, NIGHT i was looking for a hook up one thousand. PERCENT i assumed we both were on the same page because she was coming over at eight o'clock at night on A. Friday we know why you're. Coming you just sent me a photo of your.
Speaker 1: Ass, technically she's wearing leggings in the. Photo i've seen a copy of, it and if you can believe, it this picture would later be released as part of an investigation report by The Maricopa County Attorney's. Office to call a spade a, spade the photo looks like a thirst. Trap that, Night laura arrived At clayton's. Apartment they started talking and getting to know each other a little.
Speaker 5: Better i'll be honest with, you all of the conversation was, forgettable and then probably after an hour hour and a, HALF i told her to come over closer to, me and she, did and then that's when we started hooking.
Speaker 1: Up it's awkward to go into these details With, clayton but they all become critical to this. Story SO i asked him to define what he means when he says he And laura started hooking.
Speaker 5: UP i don't know how descriptive you want me to, get but, like there was no penis and vagina.
Speaker 1: Penetration laura spent the night and left early the next.
Speaker 5: Morning eleven days, LATER i received a message From laura stating that she was pregnant and attached was a photo of a positive pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Test clayton couldn't believe.
Speaker 5: It and there's no way that she could have been pregnant because we did not have. SEX i mean not in the way that would get you.
Speaker 1: Pregnant everything that happens next all comes back to this one night and two. Blowjobs on one of our first phone, calls you said THAT i was going to be in over my, head And i'm kind of understand a little bit why you said, that but, like what did you?
Speaker 5: Mean once you get fully caught up to speed and over your head just doesn't do a. Justice every time you think it couldn't get, crazier it just. Does you have the dating, contract you have forged medical. Documents there are so many layers to this story that you peel. Back one couldn't get. Crazier oh, surprise there's another, layer and it just keeps going for straining, orders a criminal, investigation and also just the hope that at the end of it, all someone's going to be held.
Speaker 1: Accountable this season On Love, Trapped.
Speaker 5: Hey, clayton this is not your typical naked video of a woman trying to impress. You my life is. Ruined everything That i'm working towards is.
Speaker 7: Gone this is either the craziest story of a bachelor villain or the biggest scam is. Happening it's one or the.
Speaker 1: Other i'm not the.
Speaker 5: Devil i'm genuinely not wanting to cause any trouble in your. Life this is where it was a whirlwind of text. Messages she's probably text me twenty five thirty times a.
Speaker 7: Day it's hard to explain to somebody how the hairs on your neck immediately go up when you see you get an email From Laura. Owens no privacy, anymore no, reputation no.
Speaker 1: NAME i can't even count how many armchair investigators who did ten times better than ANY PI i have ever.
Speaker 7: Hired we need, accountability and more, importantly we need. Protection no human could imagine another person would fake something that is so.
Speaker 5: Sensitive the crazy thing about all of this is IF i was not the. Bachelor none of this would have happened to.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 1: Tratt thank you so much for. Listening please be sure to Follow Love trapped On Apple, podcasts The iHeartRadio, App, spotify or wherever you get your, podcasts and please leave us a. REVIEW a five star rating helps others find this. Show we're grateful for your. Support if you would like to reach out to The Love trapped, team email us At Love trapped pod at gmail dot. Com That's Love trapped pod at gmail dot. Com Love trapped is a production Of Glass, podcasts a division Of Glass Entertainment, group in partnership With iHeart. Podcasts this show was executive produced By Nancy, Glass Andrea gunning And Ben, fetterman, written, produced and hosted by Me Stephanie. Young our story editor Is Monique. Laboard additional production support From Todd. Gans our production man Is Kristen. Melchiri For iHeart, Podcasts Ali perry was our executive. Producer audio editing and mastering By anna McClain And Matt. Delvecchio additional editing support By Zach. Proto this podcast was developed in collaboration With Danny passman And Leb abramoff At Crybaby. Media The Love trapped theme is composed By Oliver Bains music library provided By Mybe. MUSIC a special thanks To Carrie, Lieberman Will, Pearson Jessica, Crincheck Ali, canter and the Entire iHeart podcast. Team and for more podcasts From, iHeart visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts