Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to Marin Talk Your Money, the personal finance edition of Merin Talk's Money. In these bonus podcasts, we talk about the best strategies for making the most of your money. I'm Marin Sumset, web Editor at Large for Bloomberg UK Money, and in this episode we're going to talk about it slightly less conventional investment choice. Fine jewelry, vintage jewelry, antique jewelry, however you want to talk about it, Jewelry that you are not buying new now the time of market volatility and ongoing inflation. Jewelry is not only held as value, but in many cases it has appreciated more than many cases nicely. So if you are thinking about this in terms of real assets, how might it actually fit into your wider portfolio? With me today is Emma Discibil, a former banker who's now the director of Baroque Rocks, a company which specializes in vintage jewelry, which is a keen eye for there's stuff, and that has led to partnerships with various brands, including fashion retailer Jigsaw and the label Paul Smith. Along the Way. Welcome to Merin talks money.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's wonderful, wonderful to be with you, meren.
Speaker 1: Listen, let's just start back.
Speaker 2: Tell it.
Speaker 1: Tell me a little bit about what you do and the type of jewelry that you are interested in and that you sell.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I sell predominantly vintage jewelry, and from those nineteen sixties to early two thousand's vintage is quite interesting. It's actually fifteen years old, the technical term for vintage. But it's fine vintage jewelry, which has intrinsic value effectively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when you say fine vintage jewelry, what you mean is jewelry with actual gems and pressures, metals.
Speaker 2: It's exactly. It's not costume jewelry. So it's anything from nine carrot to fourteen character eighteen carrot. I don't go any really higher than eighteen charrot because it just yeah, it's just there's not really the marketplace for that. But it's very much well. I love it because it's it's got intrinsic value. It's also really funky, it's very cool. So, yes, you've got your intrinsic metal value. You've got real gemstones in there, which also have another value. And they're sustainable. I think the second hand market is a bit like driving a car off a fore cord. You know, the moment you've driven a car, brand new car, it loses some of its value, but there's still your secondary market. And I think that's the same thing for Vince's jewelry. There's very much this big secondary market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So looking back at the jewelry before the period when you're interested in buying jury, there are various things that you can't really get anymore. There's old cut diamonds. You sometimes see it auction, et cetera. I'm quite interested in those because diamonds in particular, when you look at the modern diamond world, do you think, why on earth would you go into a shop and buy a piece of diamond jewelry when we know that you that man made diamonds are identical exactly, And so the value of modern diamond jewelry like a little levy. But older diamond jewelry maybe holds its value.
Speaker 2: It very much does earn, especially old minecut diamonds. No two are the same, and then a lot of them were recut again in the twentieth century. So basically surviving old mind cuts are actually becoming scarceer, so again, so that's why the value's gone up.
Speaker 1: But they don't. But they don't have quite the same sparkle as a modern cut diamond.
Speaker 2: No, they really don't. They really don't. But I'm real traditionalists, so I don't touch lab growns. I will not touch them. And that's ridiculous really, because chemically they have.
Speaker 1: They are exactly the same.
Speaker 2: They are exactly the same, but one is grown in a test tube and the other one comes from the earth.
Speaker 1: You might not touch them, and other jewelers might not touch them, but nonetheless, it makes a diamond worthless, doesn't it. A mind diamond is still worthless because of the existence of lab grown dimonies. Someone told me about a decade ago that if you were going to buy a diamond, with the rise of lab grown diamonds, you should always buy a flawed diamond or a colored diamond, which may be one of the reasons why champagne diamonds, etcetera. Took off a few years back.
Speaker 2: Exactly they did, and actually, really the only diamonds that have held their value recently are the fancy colored diamonds, pinks, the blues, and they really are genuinely rare. I think we're going back to the lab growths. There's no resale market for a lab growner, So I'm going to go back to my emotional earlier argument of it was formed billions of years ago versus back in a laboratory.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The key point is that a labyrin diamond is never going to be an investment, but its existence devalues your investment in mind diamonds.
Speaker 2: Depends on when your diamond was. If it's an old mindcots, then that's value. Yeah, it has to be. Sadly, it has. I mean the prices are down fifty twenty percent, so yes, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's talk about other gemsy other gems? What is popular? What is fashion?
Speaker 2: Mom?
Speaker 1: When I bought something the other day, I bought a zircon ring. Everyone said to me, why would you buy a man made them? Because people hear zircon and they hear.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: But actually, this is a beautiful gem. But I think it's really undervalued because no one recognizes it as being the equivalent of.
Speaker 2: A Selfhi, no, exactly, So zircons. I love a zircon. I'll talk about the blue one. So the blue circons really do rival the sapphires, and they are a fraction of the cost. Obviously, because saphars again have going back to dimons, diamonds, sapphars, emeralds, and rubies. With a big four and those are the big four, then everyone else is jostling for the next place. But within the jewelry world, you can no longer talk about the big four. You have to talk about all gemstones. But I'm still going to talk about the big four.
Speaker 1: Hang on, why aren't you allowed to talk about the big four?
Speaker 2: I think there are We can't call them the big four anymore. You have, okay, just put them into a slightly bigger bucket with everyone else, but zircons. If I've got a chipped diamond in there, for example, sometimes I'll replace it with a white circon, which again right balls for diamonds. For they're brilliant blue circons. They're vastly undervalued, So there I'd say they are a great investments. I am going to if I may just take us onto going back to the big four. Emeralds and emeralds are part of the beryl family, and the reason I wanted to talk about beryls are because going back to undervalued gemstones are aquamarines and morganites, because morganites and aquamarines are not an emerald, but they are in the same again chemical formula, chemical makeup the same family. But again they haven't had the marketing, they haven't had the history, they haven't had the folklore that an emerald has enjoyed. For example, because they were found discovered in nineteen ten, they don't have the same market value.
Speaker 1: Is it also about Is it also about rarity? It is an emerald, what we think of as an emerald and nice green color, etc. Is that more rare than an ach marine or a morganite, Because I think one of the big drivers here is rarity. No, really not no, So.
Speaker 2: They're really rare. They are rare, but they just haven't had the marketing around them. And that's why I always say, actually have a look at when you're if you're buying jewelry, look at the morganites, look at the acromarines. And what's really interesting going back to diamonds, because a diamond market has fallen so significantly, a lot of investors are pivoting now to the colored gemstone market, and that's been very interesting and people are asking me for different colored stones, et cetera, et cetera. Another fascinating undervalued gemstone, in my opinion, is a spinell. Now, I don't know if you know what a spinella.
Speaker 1: I don't visit you, okay.
Speaker 2: So spanell is really exciting. So in so, when King Charles had his coronation back in twenty twenty three, he wore out of Westminster Abbey, he literally strutted off wearing the black Prince's ruby in the Imperial straight crown. Right apart from that ruby in the State crown that hangs just above the visible just above the cross, is not a ruby. It's a spinel. It's still referred to as a ruby, okay.
Speaker 1: And is it the same chemical makeup?
Speaker 2: Is it no different, totally different gemstone? It's and it's found from Burma. But basically for centuries, miners didn't distinguish between the two, between a ruby or a spanel. They couldn't tell the difference. Then they went into the labs where they were properly assessed and discovered that they're very different. Why they're compelling now is that there's no lab grown disruption. They're very underpriced equivalent to rubies and auction prices again, the collector base of growing and the color range, just like diamonds, is quite large.
Speaker 1: Burmese rubies used to be all the raids, right. Is it possible that quite quite a few of the things that were flagged as Burmese rubies are actually spinels?
Speaker 2: I would say they probably are one hundred percent yeap interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, Here's another gem that I've always been interested in, which is relatively new one. I remember when the first marketing campaign for it started about twenty years ago, which is tanzanite, which apparently only comes from one mine at the bottom of Kilimanjaro, et cetera. There is this huge Marilani Hill exactly huge marketing campaign around it about twenty years ago, and they then they seem to lose traction. But I saw an auction the other day. Quite a few tanzanites come up, tansanit rings, etctera come up, but what looked like reasonable prices in line again with I don't know, peridose or they're sort of not big four gems. What's going on with tanzanites.
Speaker 2: Again, going back to the rarity. I love wearing something that is rare, that has a story behind it. And so with the with tanzanite, as you said, it's only found in one space and one place on Earth, and that's in tanzaniair they are paled as a one generation gemstone. There's hardly anything left in the in the mines, So again the tanzanites are probably undervalued for where they are now. And again they've never been successfully synthesizer. So again this is another great stone to be buying, genuinely rare and genuinely rare.
Speaker 1: Let's move further up. We've talked about a lot of things that give jewelry gems their value. We've talked about rarity, We've talked about condition, We've talked about we haven't really talked about history and provedance. That's more antique jwelry. But that's all important.
Speaker 2: But actually, do you know what I think for what I do the bit like George and silver. So I'm going to go back to the nineteen seventies stuff. So early nineties, in seventies when gold was relatively cheap, I hadn't had the Nixon effect their gold. You know, jewelers were far more generous with their gold, and so you get in the seventies really heavy gold pieces, and what's happened now Because the gold price back in January twenty twenty six hit five hundred and eighty nine US dollars per Troy out everyone was like going, Oh my gosh, what's going on? Blah blah blah blah blah. A lot of the nineteen seventies early seventies stuff with any weight got smelted. So then we're going back into that vicious circle of there's not enough supply ye rarity value. So the gold nineteen seventies pieces will go up in value, et cetera, et cetera, and in the same grace for silver. Silver again has gone up, not as exponentially high as gold, but it has gone up. But again, the smelting process, in my world is so painful and so heartbreaking. That is craftsmanship gone. People cannot make or don't make pieces like they really used because again the old antique jewelry to even mid century, the jewelers made their own, made their own implements to make the jewelry wise, so a lot of it and nowadays a lot of it's machine made. Yeah, So if you see like a pave diamond looks that's all machine made, and five part I mean like less dotted diamonds in a same ring, that's machine that's not handmade. And so the handmade stuff is really valuable and those techniques aren't being passed down because the jewelry world works in a silo effect. No one talks to the right hand or the left hand, and that's a real shame. I think that's the one thing in the jewelry world I think we could probably be better with and.
Speaker 1: Today what you say about things being melted down, because we often say when we're talking, when I've talked about and letting inventage, surry etc. In the past, I've often said that quite often you can buy pieces for not much more than the value of the precious metal and the gem itself. So it's very exciting you're getting that great craftsmanship for free, but you're saying that in many cases free and enough. No one wants a offsmanship, so they will melt it down and separate the pieces.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately. Yes, actually, because gold has dropped, I'm going to be taking myself straight back up to the Birmingham Jewelry Quarter. Any jewelry quarter in the UK is a great place to go and start looking for jewelry. I would be still while it's now low, what is it today? Today's live spot price is about I talk to US dollars four thousand and fifteen US dollars per Troy ounces about three thousand pounds and that's really come down from its heightened in January. So I'll be going to have a look what's around. I'll be buying now.
Speaker 1: And when you speak to all the jewelers, when you go up to the jury quarters, et cetera, are there expectations from them, given their decades of experience buying that mister, where the gold price might go next?
Speaker 2: Yes, they think it's still going to go up again, JP Morgan. I had a quick look at what their forecasts are. They still think it's going to go well over six six hundred and JP Morgan's conservative, They're not like Goldman's. Goldmans always give far larger forecasts. So I do think it's now going to go up, and I think in this little dip is a really interesting time to invest. And also because you'll go back to the craftsmanship which you are would be buying into again the rarity, there will be a secondary market I mean, and going back to rarity. What the luxury houses were very interesting at the moment.
Speaker 1: Oh no, this is exactly what I was about to ask you about when we got sidepacked on something else? Is the brand, the Chanelle, Tiffany, Cardier, etc. When you're buying a bit of jewelry, how much does that matter?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I would say nineteen seventy is going back to my normal. Nineteen seventy is the line Borgary nineteen seventy is great place to buy into. And guess what I was having a chat with the borgery guys down on Bond Street last year or the year before. Anyway, they have been busy buying back vintage pieces. So for example, when Elizabeth Taylor's incredible trousseau went to auction, they were in the market buying back. Now, if the luxury houses are buying back their pieces from those times like Bankkeep and Apples or Cartial Drifty, and they're all buying back their vintage mid century pieces, that is another indicator of a good investment, I personally think. So they'll be then releasing it trip feeding it into the market.
Speaker 1: God it really is or back to the seventies, isn't it? Do you know if Vinda story held its value well in the nineteen seventies in that inflation re environment, I.
Speaker 2: Think people found nineteen seventies jewelry really quite hideous. I think they were really preferred an art deco and all the rest of it. And again it comes down to jewelry in the eye of the beholder. Really.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here we are in the environment where we are feeling a little bit back to the seventies in terms of inflation, in terms of politics and all that kind of thing. We've talked about the various gems that you think of value at the moment, and we've looked a little bit at the various eras. But if you wanted to go out right now and by in your view opinion only not advice, in your view, what would be the thing to go out and buy now? It's just a little extra of your portfolio. We're talking about, not to your portfolio here, everybody, we're not suggesting you go out but ten percent into gems. If you wanted to have a time a little bit on the side and also wear it gridally, what would you go out and buy now?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I fight with my husband who's in the industries, not in the jewel industry, but in the financial industry. And I would say gold is so much more fun to wear, right, I don't want it in my portfolio. I want to be able to have the physical thing, and I also want to be able to wear it. I don't want to have to wait for someone to liquidate my shares, thank you very much, And I'm sure lots of other people do love that. But I want to be able to wear my pieces. I want to look like a Christmas tree. I want to have a trousseau of physical gold, physical silver where I know that goodness forbid. I could just take the whole lot, and I need a cash. I could go straight up to the bullion guys and get it. So I would go out now. While gold is low, silver is low, I still think both gold and silver are going out. My tips for you, if you've got deep pockets, I would buy vintage bullgery. I would purely because I love bullgery. I'd buy the big houses because they've held their value. First, EBS is a great place to look. Then I would go to antique shops. Grays Market is a fantastic if you're in London. Grays Market silver vaults. Go to these places. They're amazing. A lot of the secondhand kind of vintage antique places have been closing down. So there was one on the King's Road and they've just closed and that that's been there for the years and years and years and they just closed down. So again the whole market there is scarcity. People is it's more difficult to get your jewelry into jewelry. Of course you can go to the emporium which is Barock Rocks. But I would go have a look on first. AB's great place to look, and I'd say go and buy now, because that's what I'm going to be doing.
Speaker 1: Everyone's going to be bidding against you, Emma.
Speaker 2: I know at the auction houses. Oh there's a great auction website which I will tell everyone to have a look, and especially where called the sale Room dot And this is a disaster for anyone, and I mean anyone who who loves bidding, because the Sealroom is like a big umbrella. It hosts every single auction website all of the UK, sometimes in South African ones. It has European auction sites, so you could then effectively buy and sometimes they've got some American auction houses, but it just means that you'll reach so you can type in I don't know, nineteen seventy seven, Bulgary, and then you can start watching it and they'll give you a lot. So let's give me my tips. It's a disaster be able to buy anything. So Salum dot com, seerum dot com. Okay, it's amazing, it's amazing, look it up.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Emma. We really enjoyed having you on. Thanks so much for joining us today.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Moren an absolute pleasure, and probably weekly went totally off piece, but yeah.
Speaker 1: That's how it works. Thanks for listening to this weeks marrin talk to your money. If you like us, your rate, review and subscribe whereever you listen to podcasts, or if you're Georg, follow me and John on ex or Twitter at Marinus w and John Underscore step Back. This episode was produced by Some Society and Jennifer Seeley's sound designed by Blake Maples and Aaron Casper. Questions and comments on this show and all our shows are always welcome. Get in touch, let us know about your favorite gems. I'll show emails. Merrimaney at Bloomberg dot net.