Speaker 1: A Birdland. Welcome into the latest edition of Birdland Territory, Steve tim Brad and today Big Ben mccond, a loreal broadcaster and as the Oil fans well know, the first time the Oil has ever had a one to one pick in the draft nineteen eighty nine out of LSU. So we're getting used to Big Ben around the Birdland here because he's been around for a minute. And Ben, thanks for joining us today. Man, great to have you on today. You've got a day or two break from the O's, but you'll be right back when they're in Sacramento, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be back to Sacramento and then up to Denver play the Rocky, So looking forward to that. And I appreciate you, know, you guys having me on. I watched the show. You guys do a wonderful job as always entertaining and informative, so I appreciate being on. Well.
Speaker 1: I' thrilled to have you today, and I know you've experienced it as much as anybody as we have two the up and downs of this season. So how do you characterize chronicling the twenty twenty six Oriols who we've seen beat some of the best teams in the league lose to some of the worst and still frustrating. As we talk today on the outside looking in for postseason, I.
Speaker 2: Think frustrating sums it up for me. You know. It's been one of those years. I don't know what to say. People have asked it and explained it in a lot of different ways, and I don't know how to explain it other than it's frustrating, you know. And it's been so many times this year that you go, Okay, here they go, here they go here. That was the win that we needed, that was the moment, that was the break we needed. And you feel like there's a lot of momentum and then it backs up and then you about ready to give up on them. You go, this team is terrible. I give up. I throw my hands up. It's over. And then here they come again, you know, and they get right back in the hut again and you get amped up again, and it's back and forth, you know. And so it's just been one of those years. It's been a love hate relationship, has been frustrating, it's been all those things. But at the end of the day, I still love the Orioles. I still pool for these guys. They're still trying so hard to get in this and because of some struggles that are going on. And look, there's no doubt the Orioles have underperformed. There's no there's no other way to say that they have underperformed for a lot of different reasons, I feel like. But the good news is they're still right there and we're going, you know, off that to day, but still two games out of the final wildcar spot. It's been a tipsy turpsy kind of season in the American League and it's just up for grabs for anybody right now. And whoever grabs it here with the last thirty something games to go or get that final wildcar spot, because it looks like the first two is pretty well locked in. This the third and final spot, it's up for grabs and there's four or five teams that are right there that could do it, you know, And so it's gonna be fun. I mean, I'm just glad they're playing meaningful games in August. There'll be meaningful games in September. It's good for the young guys, but it also gives them a chance. Man. And look, if it just feels like if they can go on one of these runs where you wins seven out of ten, they're gonna be right there. They're gonna be in that final rock card spot where they were it felt like a week ago, you know. And so the standings are always moving around. Man, you look at them two three days later, it's like this, you know, and three days later it's back like this with those four or five spots. And so it's fun, it's gonna be meaningful, but it has been a very frustrated season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey Ben, thanks for joining us. And I think I've seen Bozz's season this year. Can you ever remember having a season where it just felt like you'd have to put up Brazil runs in order to put yourself in line for a win. It's just been a crazy anomaly of a season where he's going out there, pitching well and just no run support. Could you have any experiences like that in your career at all?
Speaker 2: I had an exact same season that Shane Boz had in ninety three. I think it was the third or fourth lowest run support in the American League. And you go pitch your tail off and I went thirteen and fourteen that year with a three point three ERA in the American League. You know you felt like I remember looking at my numbers at the end of the year and Pat Hinchkin number over in Toronto minds were very similar to his. He won twenty one games and won to Cy Young, and I had a losing record that year. But you know how it is. I mean, if you can't if you don't get run supports, you can't win ball games. That's that's the reality. We saw what de Gram did some years ago when he won to Sy Young with no run support at all. And so the good news is is that they don't value wins as much in today's game for starting pitchers as they did, say many years ago. But it's still very frustrating to go pitch like that. And anytime you know you're not getting to run support every pitch that comes out of your hand, you know that it can mean the ballgame. So from a mineral standpoint, those are the kind of games that could just and it's the kind of season that over time, it can wear you out both mentally and physically to know that every time this thing leaves my hand, it's a difference from the ballgame because they're not scoring runs for me, and so that's always in the back of your mind. It's so much easier. I'm gonna say that it's not ever easy to pitch with the big leagues, but it is easy or to pitch at the big league. When you get on the mountain, you got a two run league, you got a three run lead. They're averaging five runs a game for you, because I know if you make a mistake, you go, Okay, I got the count of offense. It's gonna come back, and they'll get me right back. In this ball game. That's not been the case for Shane Boss, so I feel for him. It's very frustrating to go through a season like that. But I remember it happened when Rick Sutcliffe was here with the Oriels many years ago, and he just kind of grabbed me and he said, Ben, you can only control the things that you can control. And that's easier said than done, but it's so true. And then Sutcliffe explained to me, he said, this is a team game. Yes, it is a team game that takes everybody to be successful up here, but it's also an individual game and sometimes you have to be selfish in a team game and say, okay, the only thing that I can control is what I'm doing. I can't control if they catch the ball behind me. I can't control if they score runs behind me. I cannot control any of that. And that was the point he wanted to make. Go out and do your job and hope that everybody else does theirs too, and if they do, it'll be great. If not, you just keep doing your job at the end of the day. And yes, that sounds simple, but it was very difficult for me to swallow that because I was just so frustrated that year. And I know where Shane Bobs is that I saw him yesterday on the TV, just in the dugout when he came out, y'all saw him. He just he's got his head down. He's just shaking his head, you know what he's saying. He's gone, my gosh, why can't I ever get any runs? Why my gosh, why can't they do this? But you feel sorry for yourself in same ways. But I'm happy for Shane. Shane's throwing the ball very well. He's given the Oriels and plenty of opportunities to win ball games. It just haven't happened. But you hope over time it straightens back. Out and maybe next year for Shane Bobs and maybe his last four or five starts, they'll put some runs on the scoreboard for him.
Speaker 4: Ben, Let's focus on one huge positive of the Orioles this year, and that's Pete Alonzo. And I remember having you on my show on one of five seven back in February March. It was early spring training, and you told us the story on air that you went into Craig alburn as his office and said that type of leader hasn't been in this club over the past couple of years, but you're seeing him carry the team, especially offensively. We know how Grady's been defensively. Just how meaningful of a signing has Pete Alonso been from a leadership standpoint and in on the field standpoint.
Speaker 2: It's been huge. I mean it's been huge. And when I saw that in spring paint, I just happened to be in uniform and for the for y'all's fans, they didn't hear it. I was in spring training in the uniform and the whole team got together on the infield in spring trending. They went through butt plays, pickoffs, relays a little bit. It took about ten or fifteen minutes to go through the drills. It was kind of sloppy. They were throwing balls around in the outfield, throwing balls around, missing balls in the infield, and Craig Albern had stepped up. He said, okay, we're gonna break up and we're gonna go to our individual spots. We'll take bat practice, we'll beer, pictures are gonna be out here. Whatever they were moving on if Pete Lowndes was just kind of raised his hand. He goes, guys, that's stump. That's stump. He said, that's not winning baseball. It came out of nowhere. Craig Auburn has didn't know he was gonna say it that. Pete just kind of stepped up and said, let's run it back. Let's do it again, because that's things. Chris Bassett, another veteran guy, was in on it the two. He said, hell, yeah, guys, that's not winning baseball. That's not winning baseball. And Bassett spoke up and said, hey, I came from the to the Orioles here to get back in the playoffs. I'm forwarding the end of my career and I want to get back in the playoffs. Well, the two veterans got together and said, bye, Gos, let's run it back. Let's do it again. That's winning baseball. And they repeated the same grill for fifteen minutes, and it was Chris. And at that point I knew the Orioles had two leaders, that Chris Bassett and Pete Alonso. Peter Alonso has been everything that I think the Oriols hoped and that I think this fan base hoped that he would be. And he's been a leader in the clubhouse. We know about the slow start in April, but look where he is now. The numbers are in line yet again. And he's the kind of guy that and I've said this before on the air, that you know, if I'm Kobe Mayo and I'm younger hitters, I'm getting my locker right next to that guy. I'm sitting next to him on the airplane. I'm gonna be in next to him and I'm gonna pick his brain about everything that he does. Because Peter Alonzo has a system that he follows, He's consistent about what he does, and yes, numbers are consistent every year for him, and so he's just been He's been, in some ways a miracle for me for the words, because they've been needing this kind of leadership from a position player standpoint, in my opinion, for three or four years now. They've not had that, And now that Peter Alonzo's in the fold, I think it's only going to be best. Scott bores knew what he was doing, and it just so happened that Peter Alonzo ends up in Baltimore. But I think Scott had a bigger plan in place to say, Hey, I've got Gunner Henderson over in Baltimore. I've got Jackson Holliday, I've got Jordan Westburgh over in Baltimore. If I can get a veteran guy and I know that can lead, it's going to only help me individually as an agent. It's gonna help the Baltimore Orioles too. And I think y'all starting to see the fruits of that labor now.
Speaker 1: Man great story. Ben McDonald is with us today. Oh was broadcaster on Birdland Territory. We got more questions for Ben coming up.
Speaker 5: One of the things that I wasn't very good at, well, it's playing Major League Baseball. One of the things that I'm really good at is sweating. Even now when I'm not playing, I need hydration. I need to make sure it's convenient.
Speaker 6: That's why I choose Quints yep Quints electrolyade stick packs to the rescue Kratz. They taste great and the zero sugar options are Stevia free. They're Keto approved, naturally sweetened with fermented rice, and like everything Quince does, they're thoughtfully made and priced well. At twenty dollars for thirty servings, they're less than half of the leading brand. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui Ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns Quinns dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, street cure or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: Ben McDonald with US Today on Birdland Territory first started working those broadcasts in twenty ten and became a full time member of the broadcast crew in twenty eighteen. And I think Ben all Oriol fans know you're you're prepared. You know the data, you know the new stats, you know the old stats, you know the guys. I mean, you do a great job, and you have a way of presenting it that doesn't talk over anybody's head. I mean, it's just a great job. You're very popular as a broadcaster.
Speaker 2: As you know.
Speaker 1: How do you balance being critical at times and you do that too and still having the line of communication open with the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, it's a that's a great question. And that's the difficulty in what we do as former players. And I tell people, and people say, what's the hardest thing for you? And I always say the hardest thing for me is remembering how difficult this game is. Because where I sit now, the game looks easy, and I always go back to my time. Although it's been a while, I remember how difficult this game. Yes, always have it in the back of my mind, you know. And I think that's the advantage that I have over played by play guys and other people that's never played the game before. I know how difficult and how frustrating the game of baseball can be. I know how things can get sideways with teams that are supposed to win. I know how overachieving happens. Sometimes the teams come out of nowhere. It's just the game of baseball. We see crazy things all the time. So that's the advantage I have on this. But I always try to remember how difficult this game is, because where I sit now, it does look pretty easy, and it's it's not. You know, and so, But I think from a credibility standpoint, as you guys know the Baltimore fan base, they understand the game of baseball. They know the game of baseball. When I go around and do ball games, always keep in the back of my mind you can't pull the wool over people's eyes. And I've always tried to be honest about what I'm seeing. But I never try to mean a player, and I won't ever demean a player, especially with the Orioles in any way or for him. I might say Henderson probably should have caught that ball, and if you would ask him after the ball game, he would tell you he probably should have caught that ball. But that's a play that needs to be made at the big league level. Things like that, you know, But you got to be honest about what you're seeing because If you're not honest as an analyst about what you're seeing, I think you lose your credibility with the audience that's out there because it's not always Roses. It's not we know this game. And look, the Oriels have stunk it up many times this year, but they've also played well many times this year as well, And so I just try to be honest about what I'm seeing. I don't talk over people head people's head sea because I can't. I'm not that educated. I only got five semesters in at LSA, so I can't talk over people's head. I like to keep the game soup. And I'll give you all a quick story. When I was first started doing this back in two thousand and two thousand and one, it was Cox Sports Television here LSU games were on Cox Sports Television and there was no SEC Network or that kind of stuff. And I ran to an older lady in Walmart right here in my hometown of Dennis Springs, and she goes sow and someone. I said, yes, ma'am, I am. She goes you do the game Israelisu. I said, yes, ma'am, I do. She said, I love the way you call the ball game, and I said, well, listen, I'm trying to figure this out because I didn't know anything about broadcasting when I got into and I still today, I'm still trying to figure it out. But she's like, no, I understand what you say because when you say it, you keep the game simple. And she said, I don't know anything about baseball, but when you talk about the game of baseball, I understand what you're saying. And that was like my AHA moment in broadcasting many years ago, and I went, you know what, those are the people I'm going far. We could complicate this game and I can talk about force balls and all kind of weird stuff and analytical world and all that, and I feel like you lose viewers when you do that. There's a certain percentage of people that do like that concept. But my goal was always I'm going to keep the game simple where everybody understands the game of baseball, because that's the person I'm going for. I'm going for the person that's turning the TV on that's new to the game of baseball, and I want to all people in to the wonderful game of baseball. And that's why I've always tried to keep it as simple as possible. Yes, I do dabble, and you guys probably know by now I'm not a huge analytical guy, although I do dabble in it. I think there are I think there are really cool things about the analytical world, Like I love the fact now that that I'll know in my time. I go back when we used to face Nolan Ryan and Batters would come back to the dugout after striking out and they go, gosh, dang, the Paul just feels like it's rising, like it's it's upshooting. Well, now we know that Nolan probably had a high spin rate fastball, and obviously he threw hard, but he's probably spun it perfectly end over end, and it had that good carry through the zone. So now I feel like I'm in a perfect world to be an analyst because I didn't play in the analytical world, but I remember what guys would say, and I remember certain guys, and now I can kind of take the data that's out there now remember and go, yes, that's what made Mike Messina special because me and Sunfliffe used to sit on the bench all the time and Mike would throw two zero heaters at ninety four right down the middle of guys would swing under and pop it up, but we'd look at each other and go, how the hell's he getting away with that? I throw a two zero heater at ninety six and it goes four hundred feet right down the middle, but Moose right over the top. Go look at the highlights right over the top. Spun the baseball end over end perfectly, and he had that ride through the zone. Moose had a high spin rate fastball. So now a lot of the data that I see now and all the things I can go back at my time and go, yes, it makes sense to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ben, you have the advantage of getting to watch some guys in college too, along with the pro game. Just on the pitching side of things, What do you think kids today are doing better and on the other side worse than maybe say your generation, Because I know when I got the triple A my last year, I felt like I was playing a completely different game. The way they were explaining things, like you said, with the analytics, it just felt like a different game and it made me almost feel self conscious about what I was doing. What do you see now that these kids are doing that's better than say your generation? My generation, and what would you say they could improve on based off what you get to see on the nightly basis on both college and the pro level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, whatever happens at the pro level, I've said this for years, it trickles down to the college level. It always does. Everything trickles down to the college level from the MLB level. I think there's good and bad in pitching. Right now, I'm still not a fan of Max's effort every pitch, no matter what the situation is. I'm not a fan of that. You'll never convince me that that's not causing injuries in our game. I'm just not You guys heard me tell this story before. But in my time, if ten pitchers got hurt, it was nine shoulders and one elbow. Now you go back, if ten pictures gets hurt the last ten years, it feels like it's nine elbows and it's one shoulder injury. Now, Dick Devy out to that is we know more about the shoulder now. You talk to doctors, and you talk to physical therapists, you talk to trainers at big league level, they'll tell you we know how to keep the show are in shape a little bit more than what we did twenty or thirty years ago. But we're still blowing out elbows. Why are we blowing out we elbows? You'll never convince me. It's not max effort. It's not trying to chase spins and shapes and what we torque and how we torque our elbow and the things that we do. But and it's also max effort on VLO. You guys know that. And so those things are leading to a lot of injuries that I wish that we weren't having. Look, I'm a big fan of keeping our stars on the field. We need to keep our stars on the field. But VLO is king. And it's hard to argue because you talk to the analytical world out there and they'll tell you, well, Ben, it's working, it's working. And look with big league hitters, and they're not wrong. Big league hitters are hitting two forty four. That's what they're hitting. Man, That's the average big league batting average is two forty four today. In my time, you go back in the mid ninety is the average big league hitter hit to sixty five? Okay, but we weren't max effort every pitch. So a few things that I would change, and I would in the minor leagues and I would start working on hitting spots again. I show up every year in spring training and I watch in uniform, and I don't see guys trying to hit spots. I see guys thro breaking balls that bounce five feet in front of home plate. To turn around and look at the computer or ask the analytical guy what was the spin rate on that curve ball? And I go, I'm thinking to myself, I don't care. I don't care what your spinner rate was. You just missed the spot by five feet. Who gives the crap what your spinner rate was. Learn to throw it for a strike first. I think we need to get back to commanding the baseball and throwing. And you heard Jim Palmer last night. Me and him talk about this all the time. I'm not a fan of showing the glove. And as the picture winds up, the glove disappears. What am I throwing to right now? What am I throwing to right now? And then the glove comes back up as the ball travels towards home plate because we feel like we're still in strikes. Look, that may be the case. Maybe you do feel you steal a few more strikes by dropping the glove. But what's more important having a picture throw the ball where he and needs to throw the ball, or maybe stealing a few strikes here or there. And for me, the glove needs to be there because when I was right in Brad, you could probably talk about this. When I was right, I wasn't looking at just the glove. I was looking at a portion of the glove. I'm gonna hit right here, or I'm gonna hit right here. When I was right, okay, And so we don't have that anymore because glove goes up, glove goes down, ball travels towards home plate, then we pick it back up. I don't even know if I could pitch it today's game without a target being there. From the time you're a kid, you pick up a rock or a ball, you throw it something, you're throwing it at a target. Okay, now I'm having to pick up. Am I throwing for the left shoulder? Am I throwing for his chest? Am I throwing for the mask? If I'm elevating the fastball, It's tough. It's tough right now to be a picture. So I wish we would get back to more of control in command and maybe not max effort because we pissed it ninety percent. Guys, we pissed it ninety percent max effort. Now, when I got a runner on second base and nobody out, okay, it was hump time. It was time to go and get out of an inning. And you get out of an inning, you dial it back and then you get back to ninety percent until you get in trouble again. That's how we went out and throw one hundred and twenty five pitches. That's how we went out and through two hundred innings a year. Is to go out and do those kind of things. And so the game's changed. I get it, and listen, I'm not arguing with the numbers again because pitchers are still dominating this game. They are dominating this game. But I think they're dominating because of v Low and the new spins and the shapes that we have out there. I just wish we could keep them on the field a little bit more consistently.
Speaker 1: Tim, you are up next with a question, But let's get in a little bit of business and then we'll come back. Tim's question for Ben on Birdland territory.
Speaker 6: It's time to remind everyone why baseball is glorious, especially nowadays where you could think your team is out of it, but they might be back in it again. Let me introduce you to the American League Wild Card KP, and let's tell everyone why they might need to head back to Sea Geek grab some more tickets for what is a playoff race before the playoffs actually begin.
Speaker 7: Well, speaking about being out of it, I'm an American League East guy, and I'm talking to you Toronto fans, I'm talking to you Baltimore fans. A couple of weeks ago, probably not a reason to come out of the games. Look at the standings right now. Both of you teams are right back in this wildcard race.
Speaker 6: Rangers fans, we can go on and on. Mariners fans, you might be feeling a little queasy, but you're still in this thing too. So all of you should head to See Geek and get yourself ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets ten percent off MLB tickets with the promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link of the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later.
Speaker 1: And we continue on bird Land territory, benmc out of our guests today and Tim, you're up.
Speaker 4: Ben, he's kind of continuing the conversation that was ongoing. I just wonder how this game continues to evolve because having these type of conversations, whether it's with Brad. You talked to Mike Bordick about this all the time, because he does, you know, one on one sessions with kids and they're chasing Launch Angle, they're chasing Velo and they're you know, just young kids. And I think back to that post game at the trop Ben, and and you know, you got fired up, and look it was in the moment all that.
Speaker 2: But I don't think anything you said was wrong. You know, during Massive, you either do or you don't.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the biggest thing where analytics are a tool, and I think, like you were saying, Ben, there's definitely things that if they were available back when you were pitching, that maybe you would have learned and would have leaned into. And then there's stuff where ah, that's that's just kind of eyewash that's not really needed. So Ben, I guess five ten years from now, we're only going to continue to get more of these analytics and more of these different numbers, Like what does this game look like in five or ten years?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Sometimes I look at it now, although what it looks like, you know, I don't know what it's gonna look like five or ten years either, you know. But and listen, I will be on we need smart people in our game, and don't so don't. I don't want people to get it sideway that I'm totally anti analytical. I am not. We need smart people in this game. The point I've always made is I don't think it's the end all be all. I look at analytics as like a compass. It's a compass that will tell you how to get from point A to point B. But a lot of times analytics don't tell you what's in between, what kind of terrain is in between where you're going and where you've got to pivot and took a quick ride and go two miles this way and then get back on course again to where you got to go. And so it's a tool that we have. I do love that tool. I do love the analytical world where it kind of tells us okay, yes, your baseball as a picture it plays well in these quadrants. This is how you could have a lot of success. I love that, but we also need the old school part of it. Well, tell me how I can get that ball in those quadrants to have success. In other words, if you're an analytical guy, you can't just say, well, Ben, look you got to throw your fastball here, here, and here. This is where you can have the best success. If you spend your breaking ball here, here, and here, you'll have a lot of great that's great information, But now I need somebody tell me mechanically how I can get those balls. And that's an old school approach, how I can get those balls in those quadrants you see. So it's to me the analytical world has to be a perfect blend of the old school world too. I think that's where we need to be in Major League Baseball. I think that's a big part of it. And again, analytics point the way, but it's not the end all, be all, And sometimes we're realizing, Okay, well we thought this was going to work. Now we got to figure out a way to pivot because this isn't working anymore, you know. And I think Michaelias pivoted in the draft. This year. You guys have covered that it was a very heavy college draft overall. Mike's always been a very heavy college drafter. Well, he went heavy in the high school world. This year a very heavy college draft. He pivoted to what he saw. Mike Shieldt is getting involved in the minor league system. Cal ripton junior's getting involved. I see a pivot there. I totally agree with that. In my time, guys didn't come to the big leagues to learn. You got to the big leagues. You knew the game. We might tweak a few things with your mechanics, and we may tweak a few things with your batting stance, we may tweak a few things, but you were big league ready to play. So many times now it's not just the Orioles. I see guys come to the big leagues now and I scratch my head. I go, dude, that's stuff that you should have learned in college. You should have learned that in rookie ball and a ball. Why are we teaching this at the big league level, the basic fundamentals of the game of baseball at the big league level. That doesn't make sense to me, But that's what they're having to do. So to me, that's not a problem at the big league level. That's a problem in development at the minor league level. Mike Shield is a great guy. I think he's an old school, old soul, fundamental, and look, I was concerned back in spring training when I heard the new Oriol way. I was scratching my head, go what's wrong with the old Ariole way? That was a pretty good time where you won world championships. The old Oriel way was a very successful way of being fundamental. People always say, well, Ben, what's the Oriel way? What does that mean? My understanding of it was when I got to the big league level way back in nineteen eighty ninety, it was we're the Baltimore Oriels. We do it right on the field, we do it off the field the right way. We're classy bunches. We stay out of trouble. But we're fundamentally sound on the game of baseball. We know where to be how to do. It doesn't always happen like you wanted to, but everybody had a place. Everybody knew what their role was, everybody knew the fundamentals and knew the game of baseball. Of course, you had to be tweaked along the way. I'd like to see them get back to the old Oriol Way. And you guys talked about the Tampa Bay comments I had several months ago. Tampa Bay's still a team to me. And people can say all they want to say about Tampa Bay about, oh, they're a very analytical front office. Well, you know what, they don't play an analytical game that much. You know what they play. They played the game of baseball. They play it in a nineteen ninety style that puts pressure on you. They don't strike out, They put balls in play, they have a two strike approach. They steal bases. Yes, they could pitch. Yeah, they got a couple guys that blow out of the ballpark, but everybody else is up there to try to put balls and play and move it. They don't have big launch angles. They don't. It doesn't come off the bad at a high rate. They just win ballgames, guys. And I'm into winning ball games or whatever it takes to win ball games. And so the good news of what I've seen, and you guys have seen it the last four or five years, I'm seeing a pivot and I'm seeing some of these organizations starting to pivot back to mid ninety baseball. We're not even close to being there yet, but I'm seeing a pivot in that direction again, and I think that's good for the game of baseball.
Speaker 1: Very interesting. The best analytic is how much do you win? Let's start with that before he dig two deep into the data here. So Ben, in our final minute, I want to ask you about Anthony iron said a kid I met Friday, and Billie had a delightful interview with this kid. My gosh, he's impressive in an interview, much less on found as you well know being an LSU guy. So last year LSU inter National title. Oh, by the way, Kate Anderson's their Friday night starter. Best pitching prospect in baseball just made the Mariners and their second best was Anthony Ironson pitching Saturday nights. And by the way, I look up the stats, Ironsen was a little better than Anderson in the ra last year for LSU. What did you see from this kid?
Speaker 2: He's special? And look, I'm like anybody, I hate to see Adlie Rutchman go, you know, but he's gone now. And so you look at the return and you go, okay, what the oorls get back. I'm pretty happy with what the Oorls did. You guys have probably heard me tell this story before, but I'll tell it for your fans real quick. Two years ago, when Anderson and Ianson was pitching for LSU Oklahoma, I came in town and I just happened to be doing the Oklahoma LSU series here in bat Ruge. Well Witherspoon, who the Oriols also got that draft. He was pitching on Saturday night against Ironson, and I remember there were a lot of cross because it was all of them' junior year, their draft of all year, and I remember talking to a lot of the cross checkers. There was one GM there and I was sitting there talking to him and they said, Ben, out of all the pitchers in the SEC, which has been the best conference in baseball for a long time now one seven consecutive national titles, they said, these are the only three guys that were projecting that are starting pitchers in the SEC right now that can be big league starting pitchers. It was Kate Anderson, Anthony Ironson and Kyson Witherspoon. And Oriels picked up two of those three in that trade not too long ago. When you talk about Ianson and me. He came from California, only pitched one year at LSU. But I've been telling people it's Kyle Braddish breaking balls. Like he has those kind of breaking balls. He's got a really good slider, he's got a curveball. He's got his flit finger fastball too. Now the reason everybody said, well, then why was he just the second or I think the third round pick, I said, well, he only averaged ninety three at LSU. You gotta remember he was young. He was a younger guy. He's just twenty one years old, you know what, even twenty one when he got drafted at three years in. But the velo has ticked up for him, like now he's sitting ninety five and touching sixes and sevens now and that's why he's kind of going through the roof. But big time competitor you mentioned it, I mean he was third in the nation in strikeouts that year was Anthony Ias and Anderson was first in the nation in strikeouts. Everybody said, what happened to LSU this past year? I said, well, Anderson and Ianson's gone. That's what happened to l and shoot, because they were that good I mean, when you ran those two guys out there on a Friday and Saturday night, it was over. But he's an impressive young man. He's a big time competitor. You never know if he's up three runs or down three runs. Like he really keeps his cool on the mound. He's a strike thrower, which I really really like too, And so I think he's I think he's got a real shot. Now. Is he gonna help the team next year? I think there's a chance. Do they give him a chance maybe to make the twelve out of spring trending next year? Probably not, depending on what the Oriols do in the off season, but I can definitely see a scenario mid season next year or towards the end of the season next year. I think Anthony Oyasa is going to be in the big leagues for the Oels. I think he's going to be in that rotation. I think he's a real dude. To say he's the number one or number two at the big league level, I'm not ready to go there yet, but I tell you what, I think he has all the makings of being a very good number three kind of picture at the big league level for a long Time.
Speaker 8: Big Dad Morning Show, Vinnie and Haiti, three Deep Live on YouTube Monday through Friday, six till six, Search one oh five seven, A fan Baltimore and never miss a moment of coverage on the teams you love.
Speaker 2: Ben just kind of wrap up.
Speaker 3: You've been number one overall pick National Champion, tam USA, Big Leagues Now broadcasting. When you kind of look back at your career work in baseball, what would you say you're most proud of? Or what do you you know, what do you kind of how do you kind of wrap all? If it's kind of hard to put into words, I'm sure, but what would you think you're most proud of?
Speaker 2: Unfair all?
Speaker 9: That's man, Lord, that's been so long ago. It feels like somebody else did all that stuff. You know, I can't even I can't even remember that far back. But no, you know, look, I'm like like you are.
Speaker 2: You know, anytime you make it for the big leagues, you're fortunate, and everybody always says, well, what really stands out for you? And you know, if I had to go several moments, I think the one would be I've always been a huge Olympian and I grew up watching the Olympics, and I always wondered what it would be like to stay on a gold medal platform and have somebody drape a gold medal over your neck. Well, I was fortunate enough to be able to experience that. In nineteen eighty eight, we go to Soul, South Korea, We win the gold medal, and I got to climb up on a gold medal platform and have somebody in a foreign country and hear the national anthem played on foreign soil and have him break with gold medal over your neck. It don't get a whole lot better than that, because when you're representing the Red, white and Blue, dude, it just I don't know, it's just something about it. Hits really different from me, you know, especially on foreign soul, so that really stands out. And then I think I obviously your first stuard at the big league level. I think that's something that you never forget. Make it to the big leagues for the first time, that's always the dream come true. But so many big moments, I've been so fortunate and so lucky, and I've been surrounded by wonderful people that have helped me along the way. It takes the village as you guys know, and you guys know, we talked a little bit about this before we went on the air. You know, we lost coach Bertman, the greatest coach arguably in college baseball history. He just passed away. And he was so big in my pitching maturation of getting me and of course not many people know this, but coach Bertman got me started in broadcasting way back in nineteen ninety nine. I was retired at thirty one years old and we were sitting around with today. He said, what are you gonna do now? Ben, I'm like, coach, I don't know. I'm coaching my daughter's travel ball team right now. He said, that's great to keep doing that, but what are you going to do? I said, Coach, I don't know. I didn't graduate from college. I don't know what I'm going to do. He said, you're thirty one years old. He said, you know what you'd be good at. I said, what's that? Coach?
Speaker 10: He said, you'd be a good broadcaster. I said, coach, I don't know anything about broadcasts. And I said I ran from the media when I was with the Orioles. I said, I didn't want to be in front of the camera. Now you're telling me I need to get in front of it.
Speaker 2: He said, I think you're going to be great. I'm calling Cox Sports Television tomorrow. Because there was no SEC network at the time. Only games were on college. When you made it to the College Worttle Series, you're on ESPN. Other than that, Elis you got sixteen games a year. And he called Cox Sports Television president and said, I got your next analyst. Guy calls me two days letter said, Ben, we got fourteen games coming up. It starts in two months, and you're going to be our analyst. That was twenty six years ago. So the man got me into pitching, he got me into the big leagues, and he got me my broadcasting career.
Speaker 1: So allow him everything, Ben Coach. Bergman was right on that one too, because it's worked out pretty well for you in the broadcast booth.
Speaker 2: And I mean, you're beloved.
Speaker 1: You and Kevin and Jim Man. We are lucky in Birdland to turn on the television every night and see that trio. And oh, by the way, Brian Roberts can jump in and call pretty good game too if he DIDs do. And so there's a long list of guys. But when you got Ben and Palmer every night. Man, that's pretty good for us in Birdland. Ben, so great to have you on the show today, and we'll see you and when you're in Sacramento in a few days, travel safe.
Speaker 2: All right. Always great to be with you, guys. Appreciate it and look forward to hop it back on. And you guys keep doing what you're doing. It's an awesome show.
Speaker 1: Ben McDonald our guest today on Birdland Territory. Man, we enjoyed this one and we appreciate Ben's time today. Look forward to his next telecast of Oriole Baseball. Thanks for joining us today on Birdland Territory.