Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, so I think I have the palu.
Speaker 2: Oh no, not you too.
Speaker 1: Oh before vacations, I'm like, I'm supposed to be leaving We're Australia tomorrow. And I'm like, oh my gosh, I'm like sweating coffee, sneezing. I feel terrible.
Speaker 2: You didn't look that. You didn't look at all sick last night.
Speaker 1: I didn't feel it. Honestly, when we hung out last night, I was fine. Honestly. I woke up today. I was like, oh, a little sneeze and another sneeze, and I'm like, wait, are you feel sneeze five times in a row?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No? Sorry? It declined from there and I'm like, oh my god, I have not even packed. I'm like Drew's like, so are you going? I'm like.
Speaker 2: My dad. I called my dad earlier and he has the Flutis this season?
Speaker 1: Is that what it is? Probably?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean this is uh, this is the time when it's just starting to spread around. I don't know, do you ever get I get? I got the flu shot last year and I haven't had the flu, so I guess maybe I should do it again. I guess it worked. Have you gotten the flu shot?
Speaker 1: I've never gotten the flu shot before.
Speaker 2: You should probably get the flu shot definitely, yeah, I mean, I mean, I know it doesn't like cover all the types of flus, but yeah, you should definitely get the flu shot. And it's not like you can do it anywhere, like you can go to CBS Dayne Reid or your doctor obviously, I just we would just we just went to Dwayne Reid, me and my coworker because my yeah, that's what happened last year one of my two of my coworkers got the flu and we were like not today, and we on our lunch break went to Dwayne Read and got the shot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I heard it makes you get the flu.
Speaker 2: Though I heard, no, it shouldn't. I mean I I I actually I experienced that one time. I got the flu vaccine, like uh, I forget. It must have been like five or six years ago, and I did get sick afterward, but like for a day or two I had like a head cold. That is like for some people that happens. But I think that I don't know. Last year, I didn't have any complications. So no, I mean, consult your doctor, I guess, but you got it now, so I don't know, yeah.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hopefully I know what doctor Google said, so I mean just tea.
Speaker 1: I've been like, I'm gonna like take some night pul with me on the plane and so I'm gonna be on it for hours and hours and hours anyway, so hopefully I can hopefully person next to me you won't mind my snoring so that I'm sure I'll be doing no But you know, such as life.
Speaker 2: You know, this is how epidemics gets spread. One person gets on a plane.
Speaker 1: About flu with me to Australia.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Well, so I went to the doctor today and I was like wait a minute, because I was like, you know what, because you know, we talked about last night, how well I always tell y'all that I'm trying to get these this baby started, and so this is my third doctor. But I wanted, you know, you just kind of test doctors out to try to figure out do I like this one and I really like this one. So I think she's the girl, and so I have to get like a full what is that a mammogram? What's that sound? What's that thing when they put the stuff on your stomach? I usually it's when you have a baby. But you can look for other stuff.
Speaker 2: The oh you know that ultrasound goop.
Speaker 1: Yes, the ultrasound. So I have to go for an ultrasound. But she said she could tell she felt that. She was like, h yes, you have very large fib words. She's a tiffany. So apparently firewords are like these fleshy, typically benign tumors that are like red like not red, but pink like rubbery balls basically that grow in the lining of your uterus. So if you think of like universe kind of looks like a little girl's head with ponytails coming out the side, those are the fallopian tubes, I mean. And so the the the fiveboids kind of grow on the fleshy part of the head. And so she was like that mine are so big that my uterus is like the size of someone who's four months pregnant. Oh wow, I was. I know. I couldn't believe she said four or five months, because remember I kept telling you before, it's like I don't always have this little pouch. I always have this little pouch. And she was like, yeah, this has to be like if you want to have a kid, you're gonna have to have surgery and I was like, no, So I just want to want to give everybody up there because I know there's other women who are dealing with five boyds. You guys have like messaged me and stuff, and so you know, I just was like, you know what, I yeah, she just said, you know, because there's not gonna be any room. Basically, she's like, sometimes women can have children and five boyds because and sometimes also too that the hormones if you're pregnant, the five boards actually grow, and she was like, yours are significantly big, Tiffany. I think she said anything over nine centimeters or something like that. They really tell you to have them taken out because you're if not your your high, it's your pregnancy is highly likely to end in a miscarriage. And of course obviously I don't you know, I want that obviously, So just because there's literally no space, like if I'm already like there's basically if my fireboards are taking up the space of a four month old baby, like where does the real baby go? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, and this is your second opinion, right because you had gone third, your third, it's.
Speaker 1: My third because I just said, you know, like I because I had gone before and I was just like okay, and I gone again. And it was a guy and he was like right away, he was like, you need surgery. I just did. I felt like it was so abrupt. I was like, man, you don't know what you're talking about. And so I asked a girlfriend of mine who was like, I got a really awesome doctor because she has fibroids. And she was like, she's amazing, and so I went and honestly, her staff was amazing. Shouts to doctor Parchment in Maplewood. She the staff was amazing. Everyone was so nice and so like, and her energy was just so great. And yeah, she was just like, you know, obviously I have to get an ultrasound to see, like what's really happening. She's like, but I can feel and I can see because literally you can, like if you touch someone just like belly, you know you. She's like, if they're big enough, you can feel them. She's like, I can feel them. She's like, you feel this lump right here, because you know you what, it's your body. You don't think about it. I'm just like I have a little belly. She's like, nope, this right here. Brother was just like, what you know, and she was like, literally, it's like she was like, like, your unius is supposed to be where you know how people have to foop up between your your hu ha and your your and your belly button. Sure, that's where you that's where your universe is supposed to basically sit. And she was like, the five boys are pushing up and you're like, it's like past your belly button. And I was like, what so, and if five boys are typically hereditary, you know, not always, but typically and I know I've definitely heard of people like She's like, sometimes they're small enough where you can get laser surgery or you can shrink them. And but she was like, if you're wanting to have a child, you know, I really don't see any other option beside surgery. And surgery is she does the surgery actually, which I was like, well, how many years have you been doing this? She said twenty And she said that she she basically is in the o R. She said, every week, and this is the surgery she does quite often. And she said, honestly, the majority of her patients go on to have kids. So she was like, you know, I mean, obviously there's no guarantee, but she was like, that's you know, And I said, okay, So I want to have surgery, which I'm like, ash. She said, I'll be out of a bishit basically, like especially for the first two weeks, but really it's six weeks recovery at home. I said, well, thankfully, you know, I basically work from home. She was like, well, you know you'll be able to You'll just be home. Yeah, And I said, so, I just wanted to give you all a update about some real life ish. Wow. So what's going on in the woods and.
Speaker 2: My neck of the woods? Al roker, You know, things are fine, things are good. It's the end of the month, which is like the craziest month at work at work for us. But I wanted to talk real quick. I read this headline and I couldn't believe it. But I actually had a really scary moment, and I'm a little shook. I might have agreed with President Trump on something. Ah what happened, And I don't know quite what that means about me. So what happened was so we all know that the Republicans are trying to push through some tax reforms like they have failed and failed and failed to push through an Obamacare repeal, and this is like their last chance before the year ends to like actually do something productive with their time. So back in a few months ago, I think Trump released his proposal tax for the tax changes, and essentially he's you know, calling for some tax cuts to the middle class, to basically all income brackets, some tax cuts. But his plan was so vague. It was basically like just a couple of pages. And it's been up to the Republicans in Congress to like actually fill in the gaps and come up with a way to pay for the tax cuts. Because you know, obviously, every all the great public works that we have are paid for by taxes, so when you reduce taxes on people, you're reducing revenue and anyhow, so the Republicans are at work right now going back and forth and like how are we going to pay for these tax cuts? And apparently there was rumors that they were discussing decreasing the amount of money that we can put into our four to one k like pre tax Yeah, that's what everyone said. Say what so wet, like you can put up to eighteen thousand dollars away. This is a huge tax benefit for everybody, I mean, everywheer no matter your income, and it's one of the few really good tax breaks that I think the average Joe actually qualifies for without needing, like you know, Donald Trump's accountant doing his higgeley piggledy and getting him out of taxes. So it is like it caused this whole kerfuffle, and like everyone was kind of freaking out for the hot minute. But then Trump tweeted and he said, there's no way we're going to be reducing your four one K contribution. He said, this is a great tax cut for the middle class. And it worked because it's not going away. I'm paraphrasing, but that is what And I was like, oh oh, I was looking really hard. I was like, but.
Speaker 1: I agree. Yeah, I mean, hey, I can say that. I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree. That's scary though. I mean, it's just I feel like, you know, it sounds great to say you're going to reduce taxes, and everyone wants to hear tax cuts tax cuts, but you have to pay for them somehow, And it's like it may feel good to get a tax cut, but if they're going to be reducing benefits that you enjoy on the back of it, then really you're not winning, Like when everything is added up. So it's just interesting. So that's what's happening in on on Capitol Hill.
Speaker 1: I feel like a broken clock is right twice a day.
Speaker 2: I love that expression.
Speaker 1: I was waiting for the athat you know what, let me pull out an old Brandy expression. So, you know what, if it's a twelve o'clock on that clock, guess what, twice a day it'll be twelve o'clock. It don't mean that the clock is working now. It just means, you know, sometimes things are in alignment. Yeah, I see, it's certainly a broken clock. But I'm just saying, but thanks, I'm glad that he said. I'm going to give him, you know, or that statement. It's props. So, yeah, this is like semi random. But have you ever heard a four X. I feel like a lot of people are doing that now, Foreign exchange, yeah, for X trading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard of it, but I'm not not.
Speaker 1: Really I know, it's just random. I was just scrolling through my timeline and someone was like, oh, taking my for X classes, and I was just thinking to myself, I've heard of like four X, but I'm not super familiar. I'm not gonna lie. So I just just like, maybe Mandy knows, because I see so many women are like, uh taking or or more and more for women which I like, are starting to invest more, you know, like I know a lot of my friends taking in I.
Speaker 2: Think, I mean, the all I know about four X trading is I think it's where you just you trade currencies, like you invest in different foreign currencies on the like, because you say, okay, well it looks like, I don't know, the British pound is doing really well right now, so I'm going to invest in pounds or like, the British pound is plummeting right now, so I'm gonna scoop some up because they're cheap and then wait for it to rise again and then convert it. That's my idea. Don't quote me. I think that is the concept before X trading, and I don't know, it sounds really complicated to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean, I'm not gonna lie. I've never been super when it comes to traditional and I mean well traditional even traditional investing outside of like I can buy a house. I'm one of those investors. There's this guy named Tony Hirsch. He owns Zappos or I don't know, if he's still the founder, but he's some billionaire guy. And I remember, really, you know, relating to him, because he said he didn't getty and stuff, so he didn't that's not what he invested in. Instead, he invested in businesses and like I guess, uh, real estate and tangible things because he didn't quite understand it. He didn't believe in investing in a space that he didn't understand or wasn't willing to at least put the energy into understanding. And I feel like that that like when it comes to stocks, I mean like enough, but not well enough to feel really comfortable by putting a whole lot of money in, you know. And I also don't feel like I'm all that interested in learning, which sounds terrible. So I'm like m But then I told myself it's okay, because there's other types of investing, right. You can invest in in businesses, you can invest in real estate. There are other things that to invest in. Although I do have like my not my four O one K, but like my I do have a retirement account obviously that's invested in stocks and stuff like that. But I have a financial advisor. And even though I'm like I don't know half the stuff you're talking about. But I'm like, explain again, and why again?
Speaker 2: Now you should. I feel like I'm just now getting the hand getting I feel confident and my abilities to invest my retirement and invest in a brokerage fund outside my retirement, and I feel really proud of that. And now like this, like this, like these I don't know, these, I don't know ap class investment things are just a little bit I haven't quite gotten there yet.
Speaker 1: And especially like once you start switching financial advisors, I'm sure my financial advisor does not listen pay James. But like I broke up with James, no, no, I know, it was so weird. So I switched over to Frank because, you know, because I started with James as a fee based because you know, there's two types of ways that you can pay your financial advisor. You can it's fee based where wait, fee base is when you actually just pay the lump sum, right, and then there's there are financial advisors that get paid based upon your portfolio, like a percentage, typically under one percent. So I started with James, but I didn't have any money really because I didn't have any money to pay him, and so he got paid on my portfolio, which is not ideal, but at least I would start. And then I was like, Okay, now that I'm doing better, I don't want someone because if I want to make sure that someone is being paid based upon their performance, not based upon my money, that's sitting there, you know. And so I switched over to so me paying someone, you know, versus them getting paid off my portfolio. So I switched over. And when you switch over, I was rolling over my accounts from James to Frank. But I didn't tell James because I was like, ah, because you know, we're breaking up and I didn't like so I kind of ghosted him. And so when you have to sign a paperwork and I'm sure Frank had to send the paperwork over to James. And then the other day James called me and I was like, I didn't pick up though, and I still haven't listened to his message. I feel like such a like such a like I'm running for my ex boyfriend. I'm running for my ex financial advisor. I'm gonna call him and let him know. I'm so sorry. It's not you, it's not you, it's just I've grown. I'm just in a different space. I'm moving forward, I know, but.
Speaker 2: Don't dost them I professionals. We actually had to. We didn't break up, but we did. We were doing monthly. We were paying our financial planner monthly for a year, and then once the year was up, we reassessed and we're like, we really don't need monthly. We don't need we don't need to pay two hundred bucks a month for monthly calls. I mean, we have a good handle on our finances. So we just I just sent her an email and I said, Okay, we'd like to switch to bi annually and just have a checkup and December at the end of the year, and then have another one midway through the year instead. And she was totally cool with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I'm gonna let him now.
Speaker 2: I mean, we weren't breaking up with him. Also, we had to break up with her. We did break up with our couples counselor, and that was kind of awkward, really yeah, because we did. We did premiutal counseling before the wedding and that was really helpful, especially because it's such a stressful time. Man. And then for we went like a couple of times I think after the wedding, but I don't know. It was like the second or third time where I was like, I don't know why we're doing this, Like we're really struggling to find things to talk about. Let's wait until we have some issues to really talk about. And that was tough because she kept texting and emailing and stuff. As you're like, I want to book an next appointment, let's book it right now. I'm like, oh yeah, and you did hide to eventually send the breakup email. This is adulting, man, yes it is.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm sorry, James. I'm going to bring up with you officially when I get back from Australia. I promise all. Like I said, James doesn't listen. I know. James was like, gosh, darn it.
Speaker 2: Also James, and what was the other one? Frank? Those are like exactly what a financial planner's name should be.
Speaker 1: I know, right, they may or may not be real names. So whatever, you know, knowing me their likely room mate, here's what whatever.
Speaker 2: I actually I should I should mention this because one of the things I found out about, and this is something that I think people don't realize, but like financial planners, so my financial planner. She has a CFP designation. She's also a registered and investment advisor, but we didn't use her for invat been planning, just financial planning. But one of the things I've learned is that they don't know everything, Like, yeah, CFP training does not cover a lot of things that millennials are going through, like student loan debt and even just buying a house. Like one of my colleagues is currently studying to become a certified financial planner. And she's studying, she's taking the classes, doing the coursework part of getting the CFP. It takes like years to become an official CFP certified, so anyway, and she's just like telling me the most mind blowing things about how they don't They barely talk about student loan debt. They barely talk about buying a house. So when you're shopping for a financial planner, like, if you have those specific issues, I'll just say, really interview them and test their knowledge of those things, because I think you all. I remember where we talked about how my financial planner didn't like when we were paying off my husband's student loan debt, like it was a lot of money we were paying off and like, you found out you can call if you're ready to pay off the loan and try and negotiate a discount for the loan balance that you and she didn't know.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, yeah, ten to fifteen percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so I had that moment where I was like oh, and she's like, oh yeah, I had no idea. I was like, but you're supposed to know everything, aren't you. No, they don't know everything. No, they know. And we were talking about mortgages one time, and I think my husband had asked what a what a five to one adjustable rate mortgage was, and being a personal finance editor, I had just edited a story and published a story on our website about five one adjustable rate mortgages and I hear the tap tap tapping from our financial planner and she's like, oh, look, Magnify Money says that adjustable rate. And I was like, wait, you're googling it. Oh no, wow. So that's what I'm saying. When they don't really teach, they don't go really really in depth into the mortgage and student loan product, and that's an issue I think they're going to have if they want, if they want millennials to hire cfps, they need to train them. I think that's why you see so many like financial planners, these young financial planners doing these like courses and doing this continuing education and stuff and learning the things that their clients are asking them, because I don't know, I feel like the CFP exam isn't really preparing people like properly or like.
Speaker 1: For real life things. It's like, because you're right. I think it was like one I read an article I can't remember, I don't know if it was Forbes, like that there's this one so mid me. My brain is like so unlike phlu mode, Like, so there's this is one, I guess thing that you could offer millennials that makes them like thirty percent more likely to say yes to your job. And that's a student loan forgiveness or some sort of student loan program. Because more and more, you know, like I couldn't believe when one of my mentees was telling me her interest rate was like nine percent. I'm like, on your student loan because mine is under three percent, you know, And I'm like, what, it's just I remember when we met somebody like the other night and his was like two percent. I guess that's back when the government actually wants you to pay them off. These days, people who.
Speaker 2: Took out loans like in the seven year period between like two thousand and two thousand and seven ish, like they, yeah, they can have eight and nine percent federal loans, they need to refinance those asapp like, there's no need to have a nine percent student loan.
Speaker 1: A student loan, is that a house? Like is that a car? Not? Even there are cars and homes that have better interest rates because honestly, my interest right now lestime I checked for a house was like four percent, So yeah, yeah, that's true. They definitely need to refri especially if you and if you have a federal not if not if you have a federal loan, but you need to refinance if you have a private loan because typically those are the loans that are that high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the sucky thing about federal loans is even you have the you have the Federal Loan Consolidation Program, but it's which is basically it's kind of like a refi, except they don't reduce your interest rate. And typically typically like if you have if you have several student loans taken out over the same period around the same time, you probably have a similar student sorry, a similar interest rate, and so they just average all your interest rates and give you one new interest rate, which sucks, which is the reason why I think a lot of people with federal loans with those crazy high rates from the early two thousands are like, well, I'm considering like refinancing with a private lender like Sofi or lend key or whatever because they can offer me a reduced interest rate. But yeah, only do that if you're really sure that you're going to be able to pay make your payments, because yeah, you give up all your federal protections when you do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, critical critic.
Speaker 2: Cow, let's move on to brown boost and breaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know right, I'm gonna make my really simple because I am ready to collapse. I'm going to take a brown break from sickness because everyone is coffee. I suspect it from my niece who was happily sneezing all in my face the other day because babies think, I guess sneezing is fun, and she was literally it was like back to back stay, you know, I know. I was like, yeah, I'm pretty sure this is this is where I've I've gotten this, this death from Although I'm sure she'll make it, I don't know if I will. So yeah, I'm gonna take a bound boost, a brown break from having to travel despite the fact of not feeling well. I always hate that person on the plane that's sneezing and coughing. I'm like, man, you should stayed home. Meanwhile, you know the right mean, well, they probably have to go somewhere, and now it's gonna be me, But I'm gonna take Nike Will with me.
Speaker 2: I feel for you because I love you and my friend, but I am that person who's like, why did you get on this plane?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is always me. I'm like, are you kidding me? Especially they're behind you.
Speaker 2: And how long? I wait, how many hours?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So it's like I have to go to LA. So from Newark to LA it's like what five hours or something, and then LA to Sydney, Australia is like thirteen hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just not.
Speaker 1: Taking Yeah, I am gonna honestly, I'm gonna bring some night quail pills with me. So I can't bring liquid because there's no way because you know, like the plane, it's already being on a plane is already like your nasal cavity is already like funky let alone, like ma feelin you out? It does. I honestly like bring a little a little jar of bassoline with me when I go on the plane, because it's not I come out like an old woman, like I don't know, I'm like Benjamin Button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you should bring a nice spring, a big scarf, bring a blanket, get really comfortable. Bring uh yeah, bring some vix or whatever. Maybe not vix. I'll stink the whole place.
Speaker 1: Up, I know, right, I don't be looking at me like, I mean, are you.
Speaker 2: Like that person and gets on the plane with fried chicken? There's one on every plane I've been on.
Speaker 1: Yes, really, I'm like, well, I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: I do a lot of flying, you know, I do a lot of flying to Charlotte, North Carolina now, and there's a Chick fil A in that airport, and I think a lot of people flying to New York get excited, even though we have a couple of Chick fil as now, and they go to Chick fil A and they get on the plane with it, and I'm like, said, smells delicious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Yeah, I definitely seen that plainnectiquette.
Speaker 2: Well, then I have a break, but I'm going to do a break for I'm going to do I need to boost a flu shot because you need one of those, and every one you get the flu shot, like maybe there's a slim chance that you might get a little bit sick after you get it, but there's it's almost certain that you get the flu if you don't get it, So it clearly seems like it's worth it just saying okay, So my break was going to be I'm actually going to tag team this break because I stole it from Twitter. Someone tweeted at us, Oh, I need to get her name real quick. Someone had tweeted that they wanted to take a brown break from office potlucks, and I almost did an amn sister friend in my office because I know that you don't have like this whole you don't have the office culture. But for those of us who do, you know how awful it is when it's like, I don't know, Thanksgiving office potlucks, Like people don't try that hard when it's like an office potluck, and then you got to sit there and drink and eat their dry Thanksgiving turkey or they're like half ass apple pie and like the it's really just like a brown break from like forest office and interactions like forest office socialization, like in the office during the workday. That is my brown break. And I just feel like, why I don't think that you have to necessarily is this? Do I sound like really mean? And whatever? I don't care?
Speaker 1: No, Like, why don't we never want to eat anybody else's food. I don't know one brown person. They're always like, who made that potato salad? Girl? Everybody you know this is every every brown person's favorite thing. Everybody can't you can't eat everybody's potato salad?
Speaker 2: Like, no, that's salad. I mean you should be hesitant because that is I could easily go the other way.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, just because people feel like everybody's dirty, Like I don't know how you cook at Oh look how you come to work. Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think about the germs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, I'm always like who made this? Like if I do eat someone's food, miss Mary? Oh, okay, I like miss Mary, she's nice. I have for this.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to be digging through a Twitter and find out who it was that tweeted at us. But I feel you, girl and Brown breaking from office pot looks. Yes, Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I know they're going to be coming for y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm sure I'm thank Thank goodness. I don't have to. I mean I do sometimes miss the interaction, but we try to hang out as much as we can on Slack. I love slack. Slack is bay. It's like our online Slack is like for I guess, like a messaging app for businesses.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think everyone must know what slack is. I think I took a brown break from slack once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that I have so many.
Speaker 2: Slack channels now, you know, like I have three. I think for work there's different like slack personalities because we you know, we own by a different company than we have our own Magnified Money slack. And then I have my friend Slack, but I cannected it to my phone and I can't. I need to figure out out. I did find the setting though, where you can you can tell it when not to alert you, like give it hours between like eight pm and eight am. No slacking.
Speaker 1: I have to say that that we slack pretty responsibly, like you know, people don't they don't go too hard and slack, you know, like other than like a few questions here, they are clarity or something like that. What I do enjoy is that we have a slack channel called Giggles and Chatter for my team, where it's just basically that's the that's the water cooler. So people will just be like, oh, isn't this dress cute? Or like, chow, somebody come get my daughter, look how she's dancing, and or like you know, like so it's just fun. So a lot of the slack messages honestly have nothing to do with work. So it's just because we've got a lot. Everybody's got this great, fun, crazy personality. So I enjoy for the most part, when I get a notification, I know a lot of times it's in giggles and Chatter and then you know, I would say sixty to sixty five percent giggles and chatter and then the rest like actual work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you get the A lot of people slack me and then if I don't answer right away, get the email. And if I don't answer right away, they leave a comment. We work in Google Docs a lot, so I'll get the comment in the dock that tags me and I'm like, I'm cunning. I can't give me a minute.
Speaker 1: No, we don't, like honestly, and even with my team, I send it to you cause I typically there's nothing that's like that. The fire has to be put out very rarely, you know, And so yeah, so even if I send something, you know, I've learned, like for the most part, that to do stuff and ahead of time. Every once in a while, I'm like, oh, gosh, I waited too long. I hope Taylor sees this. And so I might slack and then I might text like hey, tailor when you get a chance to go check your slack just because it's like it's but I would say that might happen five percent of the time that it's something urgent where I have to hit you multiple times. Yeah. So because sometimes I'll get a slack, like, you know, like cause you know, I like a daily nap. Sometimes you know, I'll get a slack from like, say my admin like, hey, tipically there's an email they need your attention. I'm like, after this nap, ain't nobody dying from financial advice? Oh?
Speaker 2: I found that hold on I found that Twitter. Her name is Cec. She says, my co workers are cool, but being in an office means potlucks. Remember that episode of Seinfeld when Elaine was sick of eating office cakes. That's me. That's a good clip.
Speaker 1: Cec after name. That's a nice, sassy name. Cec. All right, do we have some good questions?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do, we have. We have a really good question from listener. Ooh ooh, it's Jenny and it's not her real name, so I can use it. Okay, Jenny says, I love the show. YadA, YadA, YadA. You guys are awesome. My question is should I apply for a second major credit card or ask for an increase on the credit limit for the one MasterCard credit card that I already own. I used to have two major credit cards, but I I let one get closed by the credit card company. I know, I know because I never used it. I now only have one major credit card, which I pay the balance off in full each month. I never put more than a few hundred dollars on it per month. Even if I put more, I paid off in full. The credit limit is seventeen thousand dollars, and I have no plans to ever use even close to the limit on the card, but I do want to look for a way to raise my credit score. I think right now it's in the mid seven hundreds. Well, having more available credit by opening a new credit card help raise my credit score? Help Jenny?
Speaker 1: So a few bangs, Jenny, Jenny, So, Jenny, guess what movie? Let's see? If you know it, it's like a box of chocolates? Yeah, but what's it actually.
Speaker 2: Before is gone? Come on? Yeah, come on.
Speaker 1: I wasn't sure, so so Jenny. So first knowing that if you're mid seven hundreds, I'm assuming seven to fifty or better. Congratulations, Jenny, you already have perfect Thank you, So thank you? Yes, right, because so many people are like, I want eight hundred, I want eight to fifty, I want a thirty, And I'm like, that's cute, But guess what's also an A plus seven fifty? So once you get to really seven fifty, I mean in eight hundred is cute, but it's literally the same in the eyes of a lender. So if you're already there, I wouldn't I wouldn't do anything extra. Like if you need an extra credit because you want to buy something you know, or something like that, that's one thing. But if it's because you're trying to raise past a seven fifty. There's no need because you're not going to get a better interest rate with the eight hundred, you know. I think people think that, but you're just not because yeah, so that's one. But maybe in general we can answer the question for folks because Jenny, you're already there girl, wait whoo who you have to finish line? But in general, for folks who are trying to raise their credit score by by increasing their credit limit, you think that's a good idea of bad idea?
Speaker 2: I think that, well, yes, the answer to her question is yes, when you have more available credit limit does help your score because it helps your utilization rate, it's gonna be a lot harder for you to get over your year. So basically, credit card companies or credit reporting bureaus they want to see that you have self control that you're not going to even if you have a seventeen thousand dollars credit limit like Jenny, that you're not going to max it out and use it all the time. So ideally you want to keep your utilization rote sorry rate below twenty percent, up to thirty percent, but twenty percent to be safe, which is a lot harder to do if you only have one small credit card and you know it's five point dollars limit and you're constantly reaching, you know, way over your twenty percent utilization rate. So that's why it can be good to have higher available limits credit cards with a total available limit that's higher. But I wouldn't like open a credit card just to get that additional space, just to get that additional credit limit, unless I think, I mean, if you're really responsible with your credit and maybe you find really amazing rewards card that you know you're gonna be it's going to be a beneficial to you, and it makes sense for you to have that card and you get additional benefits besides it also contributing to your available limit, then yeah, I mean open up that credit card. But I don't know if it's worse. I don't think it's like a good idea just to open up a new credit card because you want more limit if you don't already know that, like I can pay this down and I'm not going to abuse it and I'm not just gonna get more and more into.
Speaker 1: Debt exactly, And it's like, yeah, I agree honestly that you it does work, but it only if you're not actually going to be using that credit card and kind of like abusing it, which so many folks do. Is people ask me all the time, Like a brand asked me the other day if I would like push credit cards, and I was like, girl, you asked me this like every week. The answer is en, start with the N, end with the oh. Although the one type of credit card that I do sometimes suggest it's a secure card, you know, to help build your credit score, that it's something different. But as far as like, because I'm like, I don't think credit cards are the devil, but most people have a hard time managing with credit cards. So I don't want to be responsible for saying, hey, this is a great credit card and then you you know, you mess your yourself up by getting one. You know, travel cards are awesome. You see me and Mandy we have that al Venture card, our metacard looking all fancy when we go places. But you know, like that's not something that we're like, go get it, go get it, go get it, because it's so easy to slip down the black hole of swipe swipe, swipe and paying your minimum and then owing forever.
Speaker 2: Yep, I went through, but I did do this. When I was in college, I got like, my first credit card was a three hundred dollars Bank of America student credit card, and I just wasn't cutting it for me when I was in When I was out in the real world and I wanted to build credit, so I did I did. I think my first step was to ask them for a credit limit increase, which I you know, wasn't the smartest thing because there was a ton better credit cards. I could have applied for it out there, but I didn't know any better. But that's how I started. I asked for a credit limit increase, which was a hard inquiry on my credit report, but did get me more available balance. That's one of the ways to go about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any other great questions you We.
Speaker 2: Have another credit question, we can call her Tanya. She says, Hey Tanya, Hey Kanya. Tanya says, my question is my husband and I are currently saving for a down payment for a new home. We're planning to move this spring twenty eighteen. I've been checking my credit on credit Karma for a few months and it's in the six ninety area. One thing that is showing as negative to my score is the number of open credit card accounts that I have. I have a paid off car, it's been paid off for three years, two credit cards, and one student loan. So because I don't have at least seven to ten open credit lines credit cards is my credit score won't move? So these are all closed. These are all old credit accounts. So like two credit cards that are ten years old and one student loan she says is twelve years old, and then a paid off car. She says, do you suggest that I open a couple of the recommended credit cards on credit Karma to boost my score or will doing this lower my score? Because I'm applying for more credit. My ultimate goal is to have the highest possible credit score so we can get the lowest possible rate for home loan this spring. I know the tricky time before you're buying a house to be able to get credits.
Speaker 1: So first let's whenever someone tells you something, I want you first to look at the messenger and say, what is your motivation? Messenger? So I mean no shade to credit Karma because their business, But credit Karma gives you a free credit score. How do you think Credit Karma makes their money by you opening up credit cards. Here's a dirk little secret that I'm sure some financial folks listening might be like, no, don't tell them. So a lot of these brands, because brands have approached me. This is how I know to say, hatiffity, if you have people sign up for credit card, we'll give you a special budget Nissa link to have people sign up for xy Z credit card, and we'll give you I've been offered up to two hundred, two hundred and fifty dollars per person. Can you imagine for you to sign up for a credit card? And I said no because to see, I love y'all, because I'm like, uh, I'd rather kind of get into the gates of heaven one day. So the answer is no, Like, there's gotta be another way without selling y'all souls to the devil. So you know, but and I'm not saying the credit card is the devil, but just know that oftentimes you're gonna get a solution on sites like that that say get a credit card, not necessarily because it benefits you, but because that's how they pay their bills. Because if I'm getting offered one hundred and fifty to two hundred something dollars. I can only imagine what they get, So just be mindful. It doesn't mean that getting a credit card is bad. It just means that you want to be discerning on who's giving that the advice. So putting that to the side, like you don't need to open two or three credit cards, that just doesn't you don't. But it doesn't mean that opening up a credit card. I mean, if you're going to get a house, she should not be opening up a credit card with six months to like six to eight months. Really, I would say a year before getting a house, because you don't want to ding right before you know you're getting a house, because there are other ways. Do you have does she say she does she have any credit cards at all? Right now?
Speaker 2: She says she has a paid off car two credit cards that it seems like from her She says two credit cards, and then in parentheses it says ten years, which I think might mean that they're ten years old and they're no longer active. Okay, but like, how is a credit card no longer active?
Speaker 1: I unless they're closed, if that's what you're saying. If these two cards are safe.
Speaker 2: She doesn't say if they're closed, but if they're open, she should be able to just use them.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would go ahead, girl. You know what you do if if those two cards are open, look at your cheapest bills like Netflix and like maybe the gym, have them charge those two cards and pay them off in full every month. Paying off your debt in full every month is going to do more for you than opening up a new card, you know. So that's what I would suggest. And if you have no credit cards at all that are open, then you might want to consider getting a card and just paying it off in full every month. But if you have cards, just charge a little nominal something under twenty bucks, pay it off in full every month, and you should start to see your credit score go up. Depending on the other things that you have going on, The two things that make the most difference in your credit score are utilization, like Mandy talked about, meaning of your limit. How close to your limit are you? How close is your balance to your limit? You really want if you're going to get a house, for your balance to be like ten, no more than ten to fifteen percent of what your limit is, right, So that's thirty percent and thirty five percent of your credit score is your payment history, meaning do you make on time payments do you pay off in full? So those two things together are going to make the most difference. So keep your limits low. It's even better if you can keep them to zero and pay and then make regular on time payments and don't be late and ideally pay things off in full. Especially if you could do that every month, that's going to make the biggest difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're right. I mean, I've talked to a lot of loan officers who say the six months before you get a loan, and even up to a year, that's a crucial time. You do not want to be fiddling with anything. You don't want to move money around. You don't want to open new lines of credit. You don't want to you don't want to give the lender any reason to throw off the underwriting process to say that you may not you may be a risky or borrower, which is what all that credit card activity could tell them. But yeah, just doing normal things like making your normal purchases on a credit card or two and then paying them off on full, that's probably the best. That's probably the best plan. And one of the things that struck me about her question is she says, So because I don't have at least seven to ten open credit lines, my score won't move. Credit Karma says, and I think that like people may be reading to literally the Credit Karma like, you know, they give you like an assessment like, yeah, here's what why your score might be in this range. You know you don't have into ten open credit lines, like Credit Karma is basing this on like their out their like take on what goes into the FCO score. But you're not really getting a FIGHTO score from Credit Karma. I would say, if you really want to get a FICO score the best estimate of where you're going to be at, because that's what mortgage lenders are looking at today FIGHTO scores, then you should go to a free credit score that will actually give you a FIGHTO score. You can get those through some A lot of credit cards offer free FIGHTO scores now, but if you don't, you can always you don't have a credit card that offers that, you can always use the Discover scorecard, which is free. Just Google Discover scorecard. You can get a free fight Go And I think that's a better and my free FIGHTO is always a little bit lower than my Credit Karma credit score I've noticed, and that's because it's it's a different scoring model. And one thing that I've also learned is that even the free Fighto scores, so I'm not sure, hold on, I'm going to go to We worked really hard on a magnified money. We worked really hard on a guide to where you can get your free FCO score and your free credit score, because, like I said, a lot of these free credit scores, they may not even be a real Fighto. And not only that, they may be giving you a credit score estimate quote unquote like based on some information from one of the credit bureaus, not from all three. And it makes things complicated because some lenders, like so Bank of America may may you know, you may apply for a mortgage lens a Bank of America. They're going to have their own mortgage underwriting scoring system. It's going to be slightly different than whatever you see online. So these are really just tools meant to give you an idea of where you're at, Like you shouldn't take them so literally at face value. When Bank of America or Bank ABC or whatever runs your credit, they're going to give you a whole they're going to give you a different score just because that's the way it is. And these of course, these banks are not going to tell us exactly what their you know, credit scoring models are like, because those are like closely held secrets and whatnot. But if you're going to get anesement online, you should at least make sure you're getting the best one. And I think right now, like for in terms of like free available to everybody that discovers scorecards, I agree.
Speaker 1: But because when I so I had my score recently pulled for from the actual bank because I was when a superman and I were looking for homes, I said, well, let me see what my score is officially, and so I'd gone on some of the free sites. I couldn't understand why I couldn't move past like like it was like seven thirty. I'm like, what, I that doesn't seem right, And Discover Scorecard told me I had I had an eight oh two, and I was like, that sounds more like it. Then it so one M and T Bank pulled my credit score. That's exactly what it was. So I had arranged I think the lowest My lowest was a seven eighty. Then I had like a I don't know, maybe like a seven ninety something whatever and then a eight oh two, and so I said, okay, so that was this Discover was the only one that was I mean, it was literally the exact same one. So I was like, wow, this is literally the most accurate. So yeah, just be mindful of that, I mean, and not just seeing some of these free credit score sites, because what I do like about them is that in Layman's terms, they break down the why. Excuse me, let's here, so thank you. So in Layman's terms, they break down the why. So I really appreciate those sites for the like, oh this, I'm understanding why I got to this number. So it's not to, you know, to knock them down, but it's just that if you're looking, nobody gives you a more accurate score than the financial institution that you actually want to get the house from with a card from or whatever, you know. But like like Mandy said, definitely does Discovery. I know for a fact, because that's the one I use. And I was like pleasantly surprised how they were basically right on point.
Speaker 2: That's the best free one. And just one more thing about and this is just gonna make people probably even more upset. But Credit Karma I just confirmed and I'm gonna I'm gonna post the link to this Minifi money credit score guide. Credit Karma is giving you and so is Credits has to means those credit Wise and even lending Tree and my bank Rate and all those free credit scores, nerd Wallet, Quizzle and on and on. They're giving you advance a score under the Vantage score model. And the Vantage score is a new credit model different than FCO and it's catching on. But across the board mortgage lenders, mortgage lenders are using the old FIGHTO score. So that's why your Credit Karma score is going to be different than like any FIGHTO score that like a true FYCO score estimate and the best option, honestly, if you really want to see your FIGHTO score and get a good idea of what the lenders we'll see is you're going to have to pay for it from my FCO. And they charge fifty nine dollars fifty nine something for a FIGHTO score and they use an older FIGHTO score model two four and five. That's how that's how far behind the mortgage industry is, like they're still using FICO two four and five, and right now in modern America there are Fighto scores eight and nine. But the mortgage industry is just so slow, like they're still using the older models, and a lot of these like new fangled credit score estimate sites are using newer ones vantage scores, newer FICO scores. I think that's why some people are probably confused that their scores may be like different across all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so now you know no one has half the battle.
Speaker 2: Good question, and I will. I'm going to post this post this guide on on the show notes. So if you look into iTunes or even on brand Ambition podcast dot com, look for a link to the free credit score guide.
Speaker 1: Look at you, just a barrel of resources. We were so hard like y'all don't get this.
Speaker 2: Y'all are gonna breathe this resource, this free gift from me to you. Shout out to Ali, our intern who helped us with that guide. All right, we're ready to move on to some what is next? I'm losing all track of our of the show.
Speaker 1: It's time. All I do is win, win, win, no matter what. Oh I didn't do this win before, but you know I have the memory that you know, I know. I was like, so, did I do a win about the app, the credit Stacker app?
Speaker 2: No, I don't wait, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No, look at me. Meanwhile, I have literally no memory. So so there's this app called credit Stacker that is very similar to Candy Crush and it was built by don't give me the line. Let me find this young woman, this young woman who is of brown ambition descent, if you know what I mean, and I think you do. And I'm just like super excited because it's been downloaded, like let me see a bazillion time. Her name is. They're called Forbes actually calling this woman the next Steve Jobs, which is pretty awesome. She made a Candy Crush clone that teaches you basic finance, and I'm like, her name is Angel Rich, and I just thought that's so awesome, right, like a fun game that teaches you about personal finance, but lets you play it like like like Candy Crush. So I just want to shout, like share a little bit of a win to miss Angel Rich and creating this awesome app that teaches folk. You know, yeah, it's like multiple you Well, two hundred fifty thousand people got the app within the first two weeks of launching. Wow, credit stuff gotten. Yes, I actually downloaded. I'm not gonna lie I haven't. I haven't played with it yet, but I downloaded it because it's free. Yeah. I'm just really just to see like this young woman building this dope app that's actually fun, but then teaching financial education. I think it's just a win win win.
Speaker 2: No good credit stacker.
Speaker 1: Check it out. Yeah, check it out, get it, play it. Let us know how you feel about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So my win is gonna be I'm gonna be on cheddar TV tomorrow. If you guys are listening early in the morning, catch me on Cheddar TV.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Cheddar is a millennial focused online what would you call it broadcast platform? So they live stream from the New York Stock Exchange and I'll be there tomorrow talking about what happens to debt after you get married. Yeah, I love me.
Speaker 1: Too, Honestly, even though like you giggled that, like you know that they're I forgot.
Speaker 2: We talked about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their logo and Swiss cheese, but whatever, exactly, like that's Swiss. Honestly, I love how chill they are and how fun they are and how like so Yeah. If you are not following Cheddar on Facebook or Instagram, you should be because if you're like, you know, wanting to learn about money in a fun way. Because Mandy's gonna be on.
Speaker 2: Congratulates Thanks Man, So catch me on Cheddar in the Maniana and you, Missy, please get better. I hope that. I hope that you're healed by the time you get to Austie Land.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm gonna take my night quote before night night quot because I have day quill. Take night quiote tonight. I'm gonna go to bed early. Superman is like trying to wrap this like wool scarf around my head. I'm like, if you don't get away with me, I know. He's like, babe, he made me sue and like maybe put on sweats, socks, a T shirt, a hoodie. I'm like, I'm literally dying. It's hot outside. He's like, you have to sweat it out. I'm like, oh, I'm sorry. Do you have your doctor's degree?
Speaker 2: That's what moms pill say sweat about. No, like, take some I'm a big fan of zinc. I always take zinc before I get on flights. It's supposed to boost your moon system. And I feel like there's so many germs on planes. But zinc it's like the only minner of the vitamin. I think that is supposed to help if you're feeling sick from a cold or a virus that really can't be cured with antibiotics. Yeah, that's what I've read, So it makes me feel better. Zinc hot tea with ginger, lemon honey, A lot, a lot, a lot of trash TV always helps me feel better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna, yeah, I'm gonna, honestly, like literally curl up. I made my list of things to pack. We thank goodness my flight is at five because I have not He said, just take tonight to rest because I took the tomorrow off obviously because I'm traveling. But like, I'm gonna pass back tomorrow morning. I'm not my I'm going with my my publicist slash best friend. She hates when I tell people she's my best friend. She was like, oh my god, stop telling people. I'm like why because she's like, you know, I know in these streets like no, I'm your papa, sist somebody, hey girl whatever and.
Speaker 2: Is a boss.
Speaker 1: We all know that exactly. I'm like Rianda you not to prove to nobody. So she I'm going with her because she has a client that she's going there with, and she's like, you should come. I'm like, uh, I'm there, So I'm gonna have a dope time. I just want to have a dope time and not be dead.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna get better. You're gonna have a great trip, happy, happy birthday trip.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm doing it like my arms are out to my I know you guys like the visuals. My arms are out to the side and my hand is in the fist and I'm doing that. That's shimmy that you know, you see like older women do, like, yeah, they lean forward and lean back. Yeah, shakey, shakey forward, shakey, shakey back. That's my yes, just so you can see. And I'm wearing a bright orange Orlando, Florida. It's more like a fluorescent pink actually wet shirt that Superman forced on me. So yes, in my bright pink. Get into it. Just a little visual to leave you with.
Speaker 2: Good night, y'all, go to go to sleep, feel better, get better, so you're not gonna remember any of this episode.