Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. Hold ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Harry's gonna score touchdown. Slamm to the ground by Buddha Baker. Like a torpedo, he keeps flying into the backfield.
Speaker 2: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the Santan two oh two Freeway in bal Vista Seek your Ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash podcast.
Speaker 1: A Red Seats, Rising Up, Jimperitu, Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, Tack it Ober, here's Paul Calvic.
Speaker 4: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 1: And Ron Wookley, it doesn't get any better than that leash.
Speaker 5: All right, here we go, Red c that's the cue.
Speaker 4: Let's bring it right here because we all know what pass rushers like the most, and that is a lot of noise. Right gotta get a jump off the line because the NFL. Let me explain football to you, Ron will Flee. The NFL is all about quarterback and get to the quarterback, and we happen to have the guy tonight. Here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert, we are santan Ford. We have the young man who just became the first Cardinals rookie with two sacks in a game in a dozen years.
Speaker 1: How about that? Yeah, it's incredible.
Speaker 4: And he also has a new nickname, according to Kaiser White in the locker room, who referred to him earlier with the media today saying he's two sack oh Jalai, otherwise known as BJ Ojalari. Here on the Big Red we go give it up everyone, BJ. How are you doing on this? By the way, if you're wondering what's going on side, that's rain. I know we haven't seen it in many months, so just as a refresher for anyone who's a little confused, that's rain that just started out here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I haven't seen that in a couple months. I'm actually kind of excited.
Speaker 5: I am too, actually, no doubt.
Speaker 7: So PJ your rookie season, man, how do you think it's going so far?
Speaker 6: I think he's going good so far.
Speaker 8: You know, we haven't got the results that we wanted but I think as a team we're trending in the right direction.
Speaker 6: Uh, there's a lot of great veterans.
Speaker 8: In the locker room that are leading me and keeping me uplifted and the courage to do better.
Speaker 4: We had Kaizer White a couple months ago here on the Big Red Rage, right. He's He's a guy that commands a lot of attention, doesn't he. I mean, it just just tell us about some of those veterans. Maybe that you've watched him afar, maybe they weren't even know you're watching him. But who are some of those guys on the defensive side of the ball, that side of the locker room who you watch a lot of the time.
Speaker 8: Definitely Kaizer, Zavian Collins, Dennis Gardeck, and of course you gotta watch Buddha. Their preparation and the way they know the game, the knowledge of the game that they have, you know, it speaks volume. And those guys are really detrimental to the success of the team and the success of the defense.
Speaker 7: So I gotta ask you right now, you know each one of those guys that you mentioned right there, no doubt about it. Watching them is really really good. But when you talk about Buddha Baker. You're talking about a guy that is a unicorn in the National Football League. As far as I'm concerned, he isn't the prototypical size for a safety. Of course, all he does is go out and play the game of football the way that it should be played.
Speaker 1: From one snap to the last snap.
Speaker 7: Buddha Baker is gonna go out there and just crush people and throw his body around.
Speaker 1: When you watch him, what does it say to you? What is he taught you speech.
Speaker 8: A First of all, he's a heat seeking missile. He comes every day juiced up, gives the team energy. His preparation is second to none, and it definitely shows on Sunday.
Speaker 6: So he's a great leader to.
Speaker 8: Watch and follow if you want to have the same success that he has.
Speaker 7: Are you big into preparation yourself? Is that something you're learning that the National Football Like you have to do.
Speaker 8: Most definitely every week is a great opponent, So preparation is definitely important seeing the looks that you need to see so you can go out and execute flawlessly.
Speaker 4: So, from what I understand, like you not only have practice, but then after practice you're spending a lot of time with guys like Xaban Collins.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, what's the objective there?
Speaker 4: What are you getting out of that when you spend that extra time with those veterans.
Speaker 8: Just to get a better understanding of the game. Xavian is a guy who has a lot of reps under his belt. He knows stuff that I don't know, So spending that extra time with him, it really has helped me develop and be able to go out there on the field and feel more comfortable and play more free.
Speaker 7: Why did you just start playing the game of football? What do you love about the game?
Speaker 8: I love the competitiveness of the game and the pursuit of greatness. That's what I really love about this game, and the physicality of this game.
Speaker 6: Going out there and being able to.
Speaker 8: Make plays in front of great friends and you know, get the crowd roaring.
Speaker 1: You know, that was one of the things that really appealed to me as well.
Speaker 7: Just being able to step in between those white lines and basically act like an unmitigated savage. Right, definitely step outside and love people, respect people, and treat.
Speaker 1: Them better than yourself.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: It didn't Kennedy better than that.
Speaker 6: Right, it doesn't.
Speaker 8: It's definitely a blessing, and every time that I step on the practice field, every time that I step on the game field, I definitely want to, you know, give thanks because a lot of people want to be in this opportunity. They want to they want to be in the NFL, and I'm in the NFL living a dream, So I definitely have to, you know.
Speaker 6: Think that I'm blessed and give my thanks every time.
Speaker 7: When was the first time you actually allowed yourself to dream about the National Football League?
Speaker 1: Were you younger?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was definitely younger when I first started playing football, probably about eight years old.
Speaker 1: Eight years old, yes, sir, And you thought about the NFL, yes, sir. Okay.
Speaker 4: You know what else you guys have in common is you both have older brothers played in the NFL. Well tell him about your older brother, because I'm curious. Your brother plays for the Giants, right, BJ, And you know to what degree did you just follow him? Is an eight year old where you're following your older brother into football?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well we started playing at the same time, so it was always a competition who's going to be the best, who's going to get the most tackles, most testdown as, most sacks, So it just continued on all the way through high school, through college and now in the NFL.
Speaker 7: See, my older brother is five years older than I am. His name is Craig. He's a butt guy. He played on the offensive line, that's what he did, right, for twelve years he played in the National Football League.
Speaker 1: I played ten years in the NFL.
Speaker 7: He now is the color analyst on the radio for the Pittsburgh Steelers. As a matter of fact, So how much older is your brother, BJ?
Speaker 6: Then you Yeah, my brother's only two years older than me.
Speaker 7: Only two Yeah, boy, did you guys? See when I think of that right there? See, oh yeah, five years apart is a big difference, right there.
Speaker 1: Not only that he was a big dude.
Speaker 7: He was three hundred and twenty pounds, and so we didn't have any back and forth very much, right, but just five year separation as well. Two years. Yeah, that's a little bit more competitive, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 8: Every day we're going at it, we're fighting in the house, breaking stuff things. Just the competitive nature of, you know, two young boys in the house. And I think that really helped our relationship, you know, as we grew older, having that kind of love and bond for each other, and yeah, it was a great time growing up with Hill.
Speaker 4: Well I can only imagine. So you're competing with your older brother and then when it comes time to play against kids your age, he must have dominated because you're so used to going against your older brother, right.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 8: You know, just going home, going against him coming back to practice is like, is a no brainer.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: It's just that mental aspect of knowing that I can compete with him and coming out here I expect to dominate.
Speaker 1: So here we are.
Speaker 7: You're halfway through basically your rookie year, and you got games left here.
Speaker 1: Do you have a goal in mind?
Speaker 7: Let's just say to yourself, man, this is what I want to do the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: This is what I want to produce. Do you have that? For me?
Speaker 8: Is just a continuous progression of getting better each day, focusing on something that I can hone in on to improve my skill and my skill level, being able to contribute more to the team and to the defense, and making more impact plays to change the shifts of the game.
Speaker 4: Look, we're going to get into your two sacks and depth in them a little bit. Let's just talk about the win. Let's talk about the game. Let's talk about the return to Kyler Murray. Here's what Jonathan Gann and your head coach had to say about the return.
Speaker 9: OK One, he and Jack's energy, he and Jack's belief, He and Jacks you know obviously, the playmaking and you know, and he's the ultimate team guy, ultimate competitor. The guys know that, and they rally around that, and then you know, he goes out there and takes us all the way down the field to win the game. That's that's why he is who he is.
Speaker 5: Look, you've heard of Kyler Murray.
Speaker 4: Obviously you came to the team, you saw him the last three weeks of practice. But what was it like to witness the Kyler experience in a game from the from the sideline and see it firsthand.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was amazing. You can tell the whole team was decided. Offense went out first. All the guys are standing up on the sideline trying to get a peak of, you know, the first drive. And I think for his first game back, he did an amazing job.
Speaker 6: You know, he did.
Speaker 8: He looked amazing out there, especially you know, coming off of what he had to go through running as fast as he did, making defenders miss.
Speaker 6: It was truly spectacular.
Speaker 7: So, BJ, when you're on the sideline, when you're not actually on the field, what do you like to do? Do you like to stand up and actually watch the offense go about their business or do you like to actually converse with some of your your mates, some of your defensive linemen, some of your linebackers. Do you like to actually sit on the bench and talk. What do you do when the offense has the ball? What do you like to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Usually I'm standing up.
Speaker 8: Coach Robb will come with the iPad, breakdown the previous drive, anything, any corrections or stuff that you want to change.
Speaker 1: And Coach rob is your position? Coach, yes, sir, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I like to stand up, keep my legs going, keep my legs warm. You know, if offense has a longer drive, you tend to get a little cold and tight, So I like to stand up and just stay warm.
Speaker 4: You're not kidding, though, I mean to start that game, there wasn't a single defensive player on the bench. Everyone was up watching Kyler Murray and that's when you know, that's when you know guys were all in and look it was an introt. That third quarter was so pivotal in so many ways. As a defense, you guys made some big time adjustments. They had negative two total net yards in that third quarter, Atlanta. The halftime adjustments you guys made were nails from jg and Nick Rolis. And then there was a whole sequence. Right, you had your sack, Kyler threw the pick, and then Taylor Heineke got sacked by Guard Deck forcing a fuel goal. Then it came back you had another Sackdorsch had the punt return.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's all this back and forth otherwise known as complimentary football. And here's what Trey McBride, your standout tight end these days, we had to say about that.
Speaker 5: To have all three phases clicking like they were, it was.
Speaker 1: It was cool.
Speaker 10: Bj gets a sack, George takes a pump back, Mike I thought scored a touchdown. He got you know, short on the one. But then you know Clayton goes in there and rushes it in. So that's what football is all about. You know, if one side does well, the other side doesn't, you're probably gonna lose the game. You need all three phases to do that. And then to win games. And that's what we did on Sunday.
Speaker 4: How much truth is there that BJ and b j O Jolari is our guest here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert were live from Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson, one unit feeding off another. The offense makes a big player scores a touchdown, how much does that fire.
Speaker 5: Up the defense when you guys take the field again.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, it fires us up, especially touchdowns, any points, big block, big catches.
Speaker 6: It fires us up.
Speaker 8: You know, it makes us want to go harder for the offense and vice versa. When aendingbody makes it play, you see the whole bench stand up, congratulate them. We're yelling, we're shouting, and that's just the brotherhood that we're building here.
Speaker 7: In terms of actually going out in between the white lines and waylaying people just absolutely.
Speaker 1: Knocking their face off.
Speaker 7: Who do you think is the baddest man inside that locker room other than you?
Speaker 8: Of course, the baddest man inside that locker room. Oh man, I'll say Matt Prater.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 6: You know, what did you say that because he's fearless.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 8: You know, I can't imagine the amount of pressure that he has to overcome when kicking a game winning field goal or any field goal from fifty plus any anywhere.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I'll give it to him.
Speaker 1: That's an excellent answer.
Speaker 4: That is the best answer I've heard in a long time. Matt Prater in his career is seventeen per seventeen on game winning field goal attempts. You're darn right he's fearless. You're absolutely right. That is outstanding. Bj o jolar I guess or reminder. You can watch Cardinals and focus Sunday's nine thirty AM twelve News. We'll get you ready for week eleven. Back with more. Here on the big Red Rage with bj ojo Lauren.
Speaker 3: Hand up up the middle. B j o Jalari is there to grab Rodriguez at the line of scrimmage. Snapped the Jackson he's gonna throw from the pocket looking in trouble, wrapped up and thrown down for a sack. Pj Ojalari gets his first sack. The rookie out of LSU gets a big sack here on Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 7: Closed down Lamar Jackson quickly and got the sack.
Speaker 1: That is big time by bj.
Speaker 3: Heinekee playfake in trouble hits and sacked by dj Ojalari back at the ten yard line, a loss.
Speaker 1: Of about ten oh. That is a big sack.
Speaker 3: Back to the pass goes Heinikey with time now the pocket collapses. He Heinikey sack back at the nine yard line. J O Jalari having a breakout game with his second sack forcing a punt all the rookie once again, would that be denied?
Speaker 4: No, Biggie just tying the franchise single game record for rookie with two sacks. And he is our guest bj Ojalari here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford live from Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson, Paul calvec Ron Wolfley And what's it like to hear hear them? You know you were there, you're responsible for the sacks. What's it like when you hear the highlight back in your head?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 8: Just bring back that moment just being able to close on a quarterback and finish the play and the motions that my teammates and uh, just imagining them jumping and being.
Speaker 6: So excited for me. So that's that's what it brings back.
Speaker 7: So, BJ, do you have a preference in regard to which side you like to come off the left side or the right side.
Speaker 8: No, I don't have no preference. I feel pretty comfortable working on both sides. Coach Rob does a great job of, you know, uh, making us be versatile and not just being sticking to one side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's coach Rob Rodriguez, the outside linebackers coach. What does he tasked you with from the get go? Like if we had him up here, we asked them, Okay, what has been most important or where is he wanted to see you improve the most?
Speaker 5: What would your coach say.
Speaker 8: Coach, I would definitely say playing with better pad level, using my hands more violently, you know, understanding the game in the coverage aspect. And that's what Zavin came along really really well, going with him after practice and getting the perspective of a player on the field. So that really helped me create bigger strides in my game and be more comfortable out there.
Speaker 1: BJ. There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 7: The two sacks are huge, and we know how big those are and how they impact an opposing team as well leaven their morale. Those two sacks were huge right there. But to me, I gotta tell you.
Speaker 1: The eight tackles. I like that better for you.
Speaker 7: I was more impressed with the eight tackles, especially when you're an edge guy. A lot of times you're not going to get a ton of opportunities to make those tackles.
Speaker 1: Why so productive in terms of.
Speaker 8: Tackle Just the defensive philosophy, motor and violence, running to the ball and having the opportunity to create cap offs, try to go for the ball, create turnovers, and really just population. That's the biggest thing, just getting to the ball and getting the tackler the runner down.
Speaker 7: How many times would you estimate that you actually dropped into coverage in the Slash game against the Falcons.
Speaker 8: I'll probably say probably about ten fifteen snaps.
Speaker 7: Okay, coverage there you're going. How many snaps did you get overall? In terms of pass rushing?
Speaker 6: I can't. I can't really say. I'll probably say about like ten.
Speaker 7: Ten, So it's almost fifty to fifty with you right there. What do you like to do better?
Speaker 6: I like both.
Speaker 1: I like to you like it. Yeah, I did not expect you to say that. I thought for sure' all coming off the edge? Want the wax that quarterback's back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I like both. I like showing the versatility that I have.
Speaker 8: It's cool being able to drop and covers, you know, opportunities to hopefully get a pick one day or something like that. But yeah, rushing off the edge is my first love and that's what I'm really good at. And hopefully I can continue to have the production off the edge.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, here's your head coach, Jonathan Gannon talking about your performance two sacks, a tackles against Atlanta.
Speaker 9: He's been doing a good job for us, you know, just like all our rookies. You know, the more snaps that they get, the more they see things, you know, the going against different guys. What we're asking to do on a week to week basis. BJ two, you know he missed all of spring. I thought he played violent physical, He rushed pretty well. He's playing the run pretty good too, So that's what I'm excited about.
Speaker 4: Jonathan Gannon. Right there, you talk about the violent hands. Once upon a time we had Chandler Jones in that very seat. Of course, Chandler was seventeen and nineteen sax seasons and his older brother happens to be John Bones Jones, right, and I mean expert with that.
Speaker 5: They used to work in the off season on the hands. I mean, Chandler was lethal.
Speaker 4: But for everyone who hasn't rushed a quarterback like you're truly poly pencil neck. Tell us what do you mean by the hands and how does that help you?
Speaker 6: Hand placement is detrimental.
Speaker 8: Getting good leverage on the offensive lineman, using your length, creating separation are just kind of the things.
Speaker 6: That you need to be able to get to the quarterback.
Speaker 8: Of course, you got to have the hips and the good angles and stuff like that. But everything starts with your hands, especially playing a run. If you don't shoot your hands, the offensive line can get up on you, they can swallow you, and of course the hands protect you from anything cut blocks as well.
Speaker 6: So everything starts with your hands.
Speaker 7: So BJ, how frustrated were you at the start of your NFL career with the OTAs that you had to miss? Of course, training cap as well a large portion of that. Talk to me a little bit about your start in the NFL and how frustrating was that.
Speaker 8: It was very frustrating, especially going through my first surgery, not being able to go through OTAs, get those reps and be you know, fine tune going into the first game. But you know, I just kept my head down, kept grinding. I have a great group in the olb room, me and Garrett. We're doing our train together. So Williams yes, Garrett will okay. So we just continue to uplift each other. The team did a great job, coaches reinsuring me each and every time and just being patient with me getting back to the game. So you know, I'm blessed us to be back at this point and being able to be on that field.
Speaker 6: To make plays.
Speaker 4: In fact, here's your defensive coordinator, Nick Rowlis. Just done that steady improvement you've been making throughout twenty twenty three.
Speaker 11: Rawless, every area of his game is slowly improving throughout the year. This past game, I thought it was his most complete game as far as obviously everyone saw the sacks. He rushed well, but in other aspects and coverage he did a really good job getting on the right matches and smothering his coverage. He did really good in the run game. You know that's a really good run offense. We just played with some good offensive tackles and I thought he did a good job set.
Speaker 5: And the edges in the run game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt, Nick rolls right there now. For those who don't know, your first career sacked a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 6: Was against Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 1: Lamar Jackson love that.
Speaker 5: How cool was that?
Speaker 4: Was that sort of a surreal moment to take down the former MVP.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it definitely was.
Speaker 8: It's crazy because Leed just kept telling me that, man, this is gonna be a first set, It's gonna be a first sect, and it happened. So it was definitely surreal. And when I got to Sack, I didn't even know what to do. Like, all I can do is scream.
Speaker 1: Did you say anything to him to Lamar? Oh?
Speaker 6: No, I didn't.
Speaker 8: I didn't say nothing to him. You didn't say yeah, still respect, that's still Lamar Jackson. But I'm just you know, I was just so excited to get to Sackle.
Speaker 7: I just you know, for me once again my rookie year, I had a kind of a moment in NFL moment where I knew, oh my goodness, this is the National Football League and some of the guys that I was playing against I was a kid growing up collecting their cards. Have you had that yet? Yeah, your short time, have you had that yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I definitely had that.
Speaker 8: Preseason, I saw Patrick Mahomes in real life for the first time, you know, seeing guys like Lamar Jackson, who else? Who else that I saw Geno as well, DK Metcalf and stuff.
Speaker 6: Just guys like that is just surreal.
Speaker 8: You know, and then you have to go again against them and make plays against them.
Speaker 6: So it's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: I mean, when the schedule came out, if you had to pick a quarterback you could sack. I'm guess seeing Lamar Jackson will be near the top of all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's definitely most definitely.
Speaker 4: By the way, for those who aren't familiar, and this is really interesting, BJ is a descendant of Nigerian royalty. Explain to everyone, you're the grandson of a Nigerian prince. Give us a quick recap on that, because it's a really interesting aspect to your background.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So my grandfather, he's a very renowned artist, musician as well, very respected back at home, and his name is Prince Twins seven seven, So he's a set of seven pairs of twins. So just the prince word is just a sign of respect and you know, class and level. So just being able to be a part of his leaniage and carry the same blood as him.
Speaker 6: He's very big for me as well.
Speaker 7: So it is really cool. Seven sets of twins. Yeah, in your in your family. Yeah, oh my goodness, Fall that is incredible right there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm looking at a world famous painter and musician who ended up touring the globe.
Speaker 5: Yes, wow, that is so.
Speaker 7: Do you have any artistic at all?
Speaker 6: Or all the arts and music?
Speaker 8: All that stuff went to my sisters and we just got the uh, we just played ball.
Speaker 5: And by the way, Wolf, because Wolf loves to know this.
Speaker 4: BJ grew up Mary out of Georgia, all right, and notable alums of Marietta include two time All Star former d back Dansby Swanson. Yeah wow, shortstop, and then Joanne Woodward, the famous actress going back to the fifties and sixties.
Speaker 7: You know, it's interesting, But Paula, you got to ask the money question. Okay, what was it like to grow up in Marrietta, Georgia.
Speaker 8: It was a great environment, great schools, great people around, great community. They supported us through high school and everything. So that's where we grew up. That's where we learned to, you know, play football as well. So we owe a lot to Marietta.
Speaker 7: And what was the name of your high school? And what sports did you play at high school?
Speaker 8: So I went to Marriota High School. I played football, of course, basketball, and then I did field events in track.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, wow? What did you like When you say field evends? What kind of field de ends?
Speaker 6: I did high jump and through the discus?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Wow, that's so cool. Man, see your head?
Speaker 7: Do you ever picked the discus discus up and chuck it now?
Speaker 12: Or no?
Speaker 6: I haven't. I haven't picked the one up since high school?
Speaker 1: Out.
Speaker 5: Well, where are you ever going to pick up a discus and just throw it?
Speaker 1: Come? Sure? These guys typically have a blade around their house.
Speaker 4: I mean they were breaking enough stuff as kids, you know, much less throwing the disc around the house.
Speaker 5: I mean, my goodness, it's like you know.
Speaker 1: Sho shots all over the place.
Speaker 4: Wolf would run for cover when his brother was practiced in the backyard.
Speaker 5: That's uh, that's tough.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: By the way, you're still only twenty one years of age. Yes, he graduated early from high school and went to LSU.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's remarkable.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, I mean, uh, that's what was it like when you left Georgia to go to LSU.
Speaker 8: By the way, it was amazing. I'll pick LSU a million times over.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 5: You didn't hesitate with that.
Speaker 7: What was the best thing about going to LSU The culture.
Speaker 8: The culture second none, the people second to none, the people you're gonna come across, and especially playing in Tiger Stadium. I feel like everyone should go to Tiger Stadium for a night game.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 7: When you say the culture, though, you know everyone talks about the culture, and I talk about culture all the time as well.
Speaker 1: It's so critical tell people why.
Speaker 8: Yeah, culture is everything, the school, the colors, the fans, and then you're gonna carry LSU for the rest of your life.
Speaker 6: And I can recommend LSU to any.
Speaker 8: Football player because I felt like they never did me wrong and they got me, helped me get to this point. And there's so many good people. It's a brotherhood. It's a real family that's gonna really take care of you.
Speaker 1: On the football side of things.
Speaker 7: When you start talking about culture at LSU culture to me on the football side is this is who we are and this is how we do things around here. That's culture to me. Can you explain that's to be a football player at LSU.
Speaker 6: First of all, you're expected to be physical.
Speaker 8: You're gonna play some physical football, and you're gonna play against the best. You're in the SEC West, so you're gonna be playing against the top tier guys and you're expected to perform. Guys who came before you, Joe Burrow, the Jamar Chases, all those guys are still gonna be watching and expecting you to perform at the highest level. So that's really the culture is a complete block brotherhood and that's how I'm describe it.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, Tyron Matthew pat P former Cardinals. By the way, the number eighteen is awarded annually to the player of best reps the outstanding traits of an LSU player. You wore there and that's a big reason why you wear it.
Speaker 5: With the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: We continue the Big Red Rage b j O Julai presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 5: We are santan Ford, hurry back.
Speaker 3: To throw lobs it to your side and what a beautiful brand by mccride.
Speaker 1: Tyler Murray just flicked the p into a.
Speaker 3: Thimble, looking deep, firing fars side and it's pot inside the forty by Brown down to the thirty rt bro by Kyler Murray.
Speaker 1: Just drop the dime, snapped to Murray.
Speaker 5: And he's gonna keep it running left.
Speaker 1: He's at the five pennies into.
Speaker 3: The end up before the touchdown, Kyler Murray is tacked.
Speaker 1: Com Kyler Murray.
Speaker 3: Restep drop me in trouble, moving to his left and he spins away from an offender running to the right at the twenty five, at the thirty, at the forty, at the fifty and dive to the forty five yard line in Falcon territory, a first down gate of thirteen. That's the Kyler Murray we remember.
Speaker 4: No doubt, Dave pass really well done. Kyler Murray wo a debut eleven months to the day, and on that big scramble officially a thirteen yard game, but next gen stats say cover nearly seventy yards. He exceeded twenty miles per hour, mom man, and that's when we knew, We truly knew. As Dave said, right there, Kyler Murray. He is back, and the Cardinals get back in the wind call and to Booty orchestrated a game winning drive at the very end. It is the Ears on the Cardinal's Big Red Rage with BJ oh Juli our special guest here. All presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert live from Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson.
Speaker 5: Paul, calvec Ron, Wolfley and BJ.
Speaker 4: I know you've been asked already this week, but give us your thoughts, your impressions, especially now that you've had a chance to process what you saw.
Speaker 5: What stood out the most just watching Kyler Murray.
Speaker 8: His ability to extend plays that really stood out the most to me, and putting the ball on the money, especially that throw he had the Trey McBrien on the sideline like he makes those kind of throws in practice all the time. So that was really really amazing to see, you.
Speaker 7: Know, for me, Paul, I still can't believe what I saw. You know, even now it's Thursday, and my expectation for Kyler Murray was that he was going to go out there and there's no doubt about it. We were going to see his talent on display. I just didn't think we were going to see the four to three. No, I did not think we were going to see the four to three. And we saw the four to three from Kyler Murray out on the field. Physically, we saw him drop some dimes, make some incredible throws, use his legs of course to extend plays. But not only that, Paul, intellectually and mentally, he was out there going through his progressions. He was out there reading coverage and making throws. And that to me, that to me made me more encouraged than anything that I saw physically.
Speaker 4: What did you see him practice in the three weeks leading up to the game, Because you know, we've had a lot of guys on this show say, hey, first week of practice, Kanty Ingram said it. He was autimbly checking into play, so he knew that he knew the offense even in fact, he'd only seen it up on the screen. He never even repped it out on the field. But what was it like just Kyler in practice for three weeks?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you can see him going through his progressions, uh, you know, checking stuff down, doing audibles like he said, uh, making those throws and seven on seven I think they did a great job, you know, just you know, easing him in the first week or so, and then when he finally got the call that he's gonna start, you know, it was it was like he's been out there for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: And here's Trey McBride.
Speaker 4: Let's start with first the physical side of it, right, what Wolf said and what you mentioned about him extending plays, Yeah, that stood out to Trey McBride as well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, just to play with a guy like that who can make plays. You know, when you think the play's over, it's never over with him, you know. I think back to that Raiders game last year where he had that two point conversion. It's just he does it all the time. It's not out of the normal for him to do that. We're always told the play's never dead when win one's back there, because you never know what he's gonna do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: By the way, Trey McBride just had the first one hundred yard receiving game for a Cardinals tight end since nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 7: Pipe about that, By the pricking up my thumb, something wicked this way comes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they grabs a buck thirty one seven first downs, he had forty yards after contact. I mean, we'll get Kyler, but we're seeing Trey McBride really blossom. I mean, tell us how impressive the tight end has been.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, he's really good. We go against each other in practice all the time. He's not just good in the passing game, but also in the run game. Great base, great point of attack as well. And he's another one of those guys who prepares very well.
Speaker 1: That is a guy. I just have to tell you right now.
Speaker 7: I don't think we're ever going to see Trey McBride be a guy that isn't going to be a big part of a game plan going forward. I don't think we're ever gonna see that again, PAULI fact, some of the stuff that he was showing and has shown this year.
Speaker 1: I mean, Red C you can see it. Can you not?
Speaker 7: The confidence level this guy has. You know what it speaks to Bja, It really does. It just reminds me that confidence is the currency of competition. You buy and sell performances based on how confidence you are.
Speaker 1: And watching him and it reminds.
Speaker 7: Me of you because this game for you was a big game, two sad game for you as a rookie eight tackles.
Speaker 1: Man, your confidence has got to be high, and how is that going to help you? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, most definitely. Confidence is everything.
Speaker 8: You know, when you can go out there and know that you're expecting to make those plays, that can make those plays, you know, it just just finds a way to you just find a way to do it. And I think that was a big thing for Trey. He has always been that threat and h it was just a great game for both of.
Speaker 6: Us to display it.
Speaker 4: Trey told us after the game he went up to Kyler said I'm killing this guy, and man to man, he said, if he's got me, man, just chuck it up there. And there was a thirty three yarder at the end to help set up the game winning field goal. And it was all part of Kyler running the offense a brand new scheme. He's never run this sort of scheme before, not in high school, not in college. And so the question of this week to Kyler, all right, you have a game under your belt, just what's the comfort level?
Speaker 12: It was new a lot of you know, terminology and stuff like that, being out there seeing a certain coverage and you know, thinking back to like you know, old habits or things that we would do, not being able to go to what I would normally go to, having to stay with what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 12: There's definitely some old habits that want to you know, creep back in when you're out there. But no, that's good, you know, breaking those habits, trusting the process, and reduce coaching teaching.
Speaker 6: It's been great.
Speaker 4: I mean it's one thing to go after a quarterback, right, but when the quarterback both has the athleticism and the ability to get rid of the ball early, right, make quick reads, quick throws, I mean that can frustrate a guy trying to get to the quarterback.
Speaker 6: Right all right, Oh, most definitely quick game.
Speaker 8: A guy who's as evasive as Kyler and the fast is definitely very very, you know, frustrating.
Speaker 7: So when you're dropping into a zone room, okay, when you're you're you're playing defense and you're in a coverage and you're dropping into a zone room, do you ever try to let the quarterback see something that is not really happening? In other words, do you not look at him on purpose yet you know where he's looking. Do you ever do anything like that to try to trick the quarterback?
Speaker 1: In his rate.
Speaker 8: I want to say I'm that advanced yet, but that's probably something that Dennis or Zavian is very capable of. For me right now, just getting my eyes very precise, and when I progress in my covers, I'll definitely be able to do stuff like that.
Speaker 1: And the eyes are so critical when you play the game of football, isn't it right?
Speaker 6: Most definitely the eyes are everything.
Speaker 8: If you take your eyes off of man for one second, that can be the little separation that they need to go for a fifty or even a touchdown.
Speaker 4: Yep, how much better are you in that department? Because like when you play a forty nine Ers team in week four, right, Kyle Shanahan is known for trying to mess with the defense's eyes, right, all the motion and the eye candy and all that kind of stuff. So how much better and more adept do you think you are at this point going into week eleven?
Speaker 8: Oh? I think I'm way better, you know, especially going in early in the season to San Francisco, the game was just so fast, so many motions, and now everything is slowing down. I'm able to process and analyze stuff way Fasterler.
Speaker 4: Murray, you know, look, we saw him out there and it was mighty impressive. And it's not just what he did on the field, but it's the respect he's earned off the field in the training room. I mean, you toss, you were with Garrett Williams. How often did you see Kyler in the offseason since you weren't not on the field.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Kylo was there every day, first one there, last one to leave, getting extra treatment, still to this day, getting extra treatment after practice, doing the workouts with Buddy, continue to do the strengthen and stuff.
Speaker 6: So he's he's on it. He's on it, you know, more than anybody.
Speaker 4: And someone asked him this week, are you different? Have you changed, you know, as a person as a player after going through your first significant injury.
Speaker 5: Here's Kyler Murray.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I'm a different person.
Speaker 1: I think I think so.
Speaker 12: I think just some things that you know happened to you can't really control to just you know, either elevate you or bring you down. But I think this is one of those things. Like I said, everything happens for a reason. I think it was for the better, not only for me, but just for everyone, you know. And I think that the light's different right now, you know, I think people around me, teammates, everybody, it's just different energy.
Speaker 4: Jonathan Gannon described it as a jolt of energy Kyler's return, right, a.
Speaker 5: Jolt of belief. What's it like when you know you have.
Speaker 4: A Pro Bowl caliber quarterback and you go into a game when you have that guy at quarterback?
Speaker 5: What's that do for the rest of the team.
Speaker 8: Is very exciting on the defensive end, you know, like I said, he's able to extend plays, get more first first downs and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: So you know we're gonna go harder.
Speaker 8: We know that the offense is gonna be able to put those put those points up, and we're gonna be able to stop him. So just going to extra mile just to get him the ball back so he can do what he does.
Speaker 7: You know, this is just me, Paully and in my observation right now, but there does seem to be a paradigm shift with Kyler Murray right now. When you hear him say the light is different. I love that sort. We gotta put that on a T shirt, Polly right there, the light is different, and he said that he is a different person because of what he's been through. Man, there's there's so many positives that can come out of that if you just adopt.
Speaker 1: Them as positives. And I think he has well.
Speaker 4: I think he has that appreciation for the game that maybe he never had before because he never had it taken away from him, and he's learned how much he loves the game itself.
Speaker 7: And I also think Pauli too, He's working so hard at his craft right now. He was always a situation that came so easy to him in the offense and the college offense, but now he's blending the NFL offense.
Speaker 5: I think he knows how much upside there is in this scheme.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's a big red rage with BG o Joli back from Trophy Live.
Speaker 5: We're here in Chandler.
Speaker 1: On first and goal. Stroud gets the snap, CJ. Looking scrambling forward. CJ.
Speaker 9: I'm about to cross the five season touchdown.
Speaker 1: CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud, good quarterback with a touchdown run.
Speaker 1: Nobody is expecting it.
Speaker 7: And he has presented himself as a pocket passle and you.
Speaker 1: Just don't know any run or not. We haven't seen him really do it a whole lot. Yeah, he can run. It's funny.
Speaker 4: Paris Johnson Junior telling the media yesterday that a guy played all his years with at Ohio State, even in high school together, they're very familiar, right, and Paris Johnson Junior is saying about CJ. Stroud he doesn't want to run it, but he will and if he does, he's got wheels. But you know, and you saw it against Georgia in the playoff game last year. He finally decided to run it. So he has that ability, but so far he hasn't shown it a lot.
Speaker 7: I don't think, Paul, there's any quarterback in the NFL that really wants to run it.
Speaker 1: I think they'd rather throw it. Okay, does that make sense?
Speaker 4: I mean, all right, well let's ask our guests, bgo Jalai. It's a big red rage. We are live from Trophy in Chandler, All presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 5: We are santan Ford, what do you think?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, do you ever psychoanalyze some of these quarterbacks? I mean when you go into a game, you're like, okay, I need to know what makes this guy tick, his tendencies, what will cause him to tuck it and run it? I mean, how in depth do you get studying a quarterback before each game.
Speaker 8: Every quarterback is different, you know, every every quarterback has different tendencies.
Speaker 6: C J.
Speaker 8: Stroud he's playing at a very high level right now. He likes to stay in the pocket, but when he does decide to run is a good decision. He's get getting good yards and he does have the speed you know, to get first downs in an extend place.
Speaker 7: You know, one of the things I love about CJ. Stroud is this is a kid that sees the field really really well, Paul, and he spreads the ball all over the field, doesn't he. I mean I'm watching him throw the ball to a number of different receivers, of course, and he's done a great job including everybody. And that tells me that he's reading coverage, that he's going through his progression and he's thrown to the open receiver. He's not really focusing on one receiver, is he.
Speaker 6: No, No, He's he's distributing the ball very well.
Speaker 8: They definitely have some good weapons on their team, and he definitely does a good job getting them the ball.
Speaker 6: They have a good running back as well.
Speaker 8: He runs the ball very hard and I think he helped their offense goal as well.
Speaker 4: You know, he leads the NFL not only in passing yards per game, but in touchdown interception ratio fifteen touchdowns, just two picks. Here's Jonathan Gannon on the rookie quarterback, who forget Rookie of the Year. I mean, he blew that out of the water two weeks ago. He's now in the MVP conversation. Here's JG.
Speaker 9: He can make all the throws and he's a mobile guy. He's a big guy, you know, so he's hard. Sometimes you think that you're gonna get him down and you don't get him down, and he extends plays and they can throw it all over the yard, So big time challenge for us.
Speaker 4: Two weeks ago against Tampa, he had four hundred and seventy yards passing in five touchdowns, both NFL rookie records for a single game. So it is remarkable, it really is. When you look at their offense, though, it's very similar to the forty nine ers because their offensive coordinator came from San Francisco.
Speaker 5: But they have a lot of depth.
Speaker 4: I mean, they did it last week without their first string running back, their first string receiver, right their number one receiver. So tell us in terms of this offense, you can't necessarily focus on one player, right, you have a tendency to focus more on the scheme, I would imagine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, most definitely, we're focused on the scheme.
Speaker 8: Like you said, they have some similarities to San Francisco, but at the same time they don't do everything you know, the same as well. So we're definitely focused on the scheme, trying to make CJ make some bad decisions and hopefully we can pressure him and get to him some way.
Speaker 7: How about their offensive line, it's so critical of course, that to me is where football is still played on the offensive line, the defensive lineup, scrimmage, gap, integrity. When you look at this offensive line and watch how they play, what do you see.
Speaker 6: They have a good offensive line.
Speaker 8: They keep him protected, especially you know he has left tackle Laramie Tunsel, so they have a good unit as well. In front, they are good at the point of attack and run. So for us as just playing technique sound, playing gap sound as well, and we have a good front lead k Strong, Dante, all those guys are very prepared and we're ready to go to war.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do you think of Tunsl?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: I mean is twitter handle is King Tunsl He's one of the highest paid left tackles in the game.
Speaker 5: What do you see.
Speaker 8: They're a great technician, big as well, good feet, But you know, we just have to use our technique against him.
Speaker 7: You know what's really interesting here, they jump into eleven personnel. They're in it fifty three percent of the time in rundown situation first and ten second and one to six, but they throw it sixty percent of the time when they get into eleven personnel. They jump into twenty one personnel Paul with a full back I might add thirty seven percent of the time, and then they pound the football. What's their two back scheme look like on tape?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 8: They believe in the run game, and they believe that they have to get the run game going to get everything else going. So for us is just staying sound in a run game so we can get to third down and press with the quarterback.
Speaker 4: I want to come back to the size of some of these tackles. Two weeks ago against Cleveland, they had a guy six eight three seventy five.
Speaker 5: What is it like to go against the mountain like that?
Speaker 8: It's crazy. Yeahd One Jones, man, he's very big. Arms are very long. So it's all about leverage, getting under him and you know, being able to get your his hands off of you and uh yeah, just not engaging him because he's definitely gonna engolf you no matter what, because he's just so big.
Speaker 7: So I had the opportunity to talk to you just a week ago. As a matter of fact, Tell Paul what's your favorite pass rush? Tell Paul what your favorite pass rush is?
Speaker 6: So my favorite pass rush, coach Rob.
Speaker 8: He's really been working on me with my hands of course and my posture. So right now, I like the stab. I like to stab and go and the stabbing and lyft right now. So those are my two go to right now. So you have that, you get that down. I love the verbict you know, go in the staff, yeah and left now is that different than the long arm stab. I'm always a fan on the long arm stage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, you got it. You always got to have a good stab to set those rushers up.
Speaker 1: It's not a long arm when Paul goes okay easy.
Speaker 5: By the way, Will Anderson, did you get to know Will Anderson in the draft process at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Most definitely. Will is a great guy and a great football player.
Speaker 5: Okay, he's the number three pick overall. C J. Stroud number two, Will Anderson number three.
Speaker 4: So we'll see a couple of all time SCC pass rushers going to be in this game, right, Yes, sir, I think.
Speaker 1: He has two sucks on the season as well.
Speaker 5: Paul, all right, Hey, look we enjoyed it. How about it? Everyone for b j Ojalai here in the Big Red.
Speaker 4: Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert, I mean just outstanding. Special thanks as always, Jim Almahundro, Cody Fincher, Mark Lazareth, Brian Dubos, Ron Wolfley on Paul Calvic special thanks to everyone here Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson Cardinals at Houston. Once again, special thanks to BG O Jeli in this edition of the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in Valvesta.
Speaker 1: The Rage is brought to you by.
Speaker 2: Seat Geek, your ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit azcardinals dot com Slash podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football Club