Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny g Radio Sunday Sunday, but not just any Sunday. It is on like Donkey Gong. By the end of the day to day, we are going to know who will be playing in the soup superbo Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm fired up.
Speaker 3: My ass is ready to hemorrhoids from sitting for what seven hours watching football today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your right hand is not going to be getting a work out today.
Speaker 1: No, no, I will not.
Speaker 3: And so three o'clock eastern noon our time here in La and the Commanders and the Eagles.
Speaker 4: Is this true? If Washington advances to the Super Bowl, we are allowed to call them the Redskins again.
Speaker 3: Hail to the Redskins, Hail to Big dory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lately I've been hearing everybody say Redskins. It's okay again.
Speaker 3: Apparently Trump is the president, so you know Donald Trump is in the White House.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 3: But no, I you know, I loved watching right after the Commanders won their playoff game against Tampa and then in the lead into the Washington game against the Lions, they showed all these old highlights of the last time the franchise won a game, and it was all Redskins uniforms, but they didn't say Redskins. They didn't want to say it was. It was the tap dance. Was was crazy. Anyway, Philadelphia is a six point favorite in that game. The money's pretty even, pretty even on that. The money is even, which is what you want if you're the bookmaker. The Bills and the Chiefs. The late game and that game open is a pick them. It is now Kansas City favored by a point and a half, and the vast majority of the public and the wise guys taking the road team, the Buffalo Bills. So they if you go buy where the money is, slight, lean to Washington, slight lean to Washington, a big lean to Buffalo. So based on that, we're gonna have Buffalo and Washington in the Super Bowl. I don't think that's a great super Bowl, but that's what I believe. Kansas City is gonna win, and.
Speaker 4: I think Josh Allen and Jaden Daniel would be a good matchup. Though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i'd like to see the Commanders win. I think they'll lose by a field goal, but they'll cover the number. I'd love for them to win, but I think they'll They'll end up winning, you know, or losing by a field goal, or winning by a field goal. For I think has a fourth quarter game. I'd be surprised if they get killed. The only way to get killed is if if Jayden Daniels comes out either gets hurt like brock Purty remember a couple years ago brock Purty got hurt against Philadelphia, or Jayden Daniels just has flop sweat and the moments he doesn't seem like the moment's too big though he's played fun.
Speaker 4: No, the poise that that kid plays with is pretty amazing. He's so calm and collected in the biggest moments. It looks like he's just going through walkthroughs. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, he's been He's been great and former Arizona State Sun devil Herm Edwards.
Speaker 1: But he's from LA. Right, is an LA guy from?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Was it from the Inland Umpire?
Speaker 4: Ah? Yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: So we'll see what happens with the games today.
Speaker 3: And if you want to get more on the games Penny versus the Penny, it's on Pete Cock and regional cable television on in b see Sports. So I checked that out before we get to the mail bag. A couple of things here on this Sunday, the heat is on.
Speaker 4: I hope your heaters on. It sounds like Tom Looney got you sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't want to get it.
Speaker 3: And then Tom Lookey, like a week ago, not this week, the week before Looney shows up and he's like he seems a little off. We're doing the TV show and Loony's like, oh yeah, I'm not contagious.
Speaker 1: Everything's fine.
Speaker 4: I'm good. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: I'm a doctor.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We have our table read. We're right across from each other. He's breathing on me and no, no, everything's fine. I'm not contagious, and uh yeah uh.
Speaker 4: Like that line from Home Alone, You're such a disease Kevin pretty much. I mean it was.
Speaker 3: It was brutal anyway, So the heat is on Monday night, I show up to the hollowed hallways of Fox Sports Radio and I go into the show and it's fine. I mean, the building's fine and walking a normal night. But I get into the main studio and the heat is on. It's really hot. So I like, I'm gonna turn the air conditioning down all the way down. The AC broke in the main main studio, the talk show studio, that side of the building. It got to eighty degrees in there on Monday night. Eighty degrees in the studio.
Speaker 4: Brutal.
Speaker 3: I don't do well in heat. I don't Nobody told me it was broken. I guess it had been broken like that earlier that day, but no nobody told me. And yeah, that was a tough night because I have all these bright lights on because they put the YouTube stuff up and so they put all these extra lights.
Speaker 4: In the studio.
Speaker 3: And normally it's not a problem because I have that thing like an igloo. I'm sitting in there like I'm an Eskimo or something like that, and or penguin or whatever.
Speaker 4: And it was so and.
Speaker 3: I turned all the lights off after the monologues, and I even walked out in the hallway because the air conditioning was on the other side of the building and it was like a sauna. And it was not sweating to the oldies. It was sweating to the sports takes.
Speaker 1: It is what it was.
Speaker 3: And I know you were in there all week too, Danny, and deal with that.
Speaker 4: It got so bad that Friday to do the podcast. Right after Covino and Rich, I walked over to the Cowherd studio and sat and used their computer because I just couldn't stand those studios on that side of the building any longer. What a shitty week of sweating and that you know, that clammy feeling you get where your skin can't breathe. It was fucking gross. And to do radio like that is so difficult, and it's bad for the equipment on top of everything else.
Speaker 3: Well then and that's people were like, well, wasn't so hot in there. It's not that hot in LA, But yeah, we're sitting around, you know, millions of dollars worth of equipment and it generates a lot of heat, a lot of heat, right, And yeah, it was a explosive situation.
Speaker 1: I was waiting for combustion. That is what I was waiting for.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was brutal.
Speaker 3: And they say they were waiting for a part. Waiting for a part.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I heard it might arrive on Monday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well maybe I'll arrive when the part of how about that arrive? When the part arrives, that'll be my my plan.
Speaker 1: That'll be my plan there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So maybe maybe the dog people would like the heat. I'm a dog person.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. But there's other dog people that might like the heat.
Speaker 4: Danny. Actually, dog people would be okay in this scenario because a lot of dog people have to sit outside.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yes, right.
Speaker 4: And you're gonna feel me on this one because I know you just went through this. During the holidays, my family in San Jose, California, they're having a little get together when me, Brenda and the baby fly up that way. In February, a week after the Super Bowl, I circle a weekend to bring CoA up to see his grandma. My mom has only seen CoA once. She's really excited about this February visit. Found a park, a nice park in San Jose. A little worried about the weather. It's probably going to be I don't know, like sunny, but sixty degrees So not the kind of weather where you want to stay at the park all day long. No sure, Normally we would do a barbecue, play some whiffle ball, everybody comes out. What He and my cousin in the San Francisco Bay area. He's kind of planning things, and I told him, Hey, make sure it's a park with basketball. Make sure it's a park that's got the sports we need. I don't think we need to worry about the barbecue stuff though. Let's just find a restaurant that's easy going, like a pizza place whatever that we can all go to afterwards that will take a big party. So kind of like a hybrid day of park restaurant all right. My older brother finds out about this in the family group chat, texts me on the side and he says, what the hell I thought this was going to be a barbecue day at the park. And I explained the whole weather thing. This sucks, man. I have my dogs. I'm bringing my dogs with meff. I can't go to a restaurant with my dogs.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, where does he live? He lives?
Speaker 4: Does he live in San Jose, a in Vallejo. Oh okay, so it's a little bit of a drive to San Jose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're giving him plenty of times. It's a month away, right, thank you.
Speaker 4: Now, dog people hear me out because I love dogs, I love cats, but I also can leave my pets at home, especially on a day where family is getting together. Why are there some dog people, ben who just cannot leave their dogs at home? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It you know, your preacher to the choir, you know, as I told you my We talked about it on this podcast in a previous episode. The trip to San Francisco, and I had two of my in laws that brought their dog. It was raining and cold in San Francisco, the you know, the iconic Fishermen's Wharf with all the homeless people and the beautiful views, and we had to sit outside and die in Alfresco because they had their dogs with them, and everywhere we went had to be dog friendly. It was insane. I hated it.
Speaker 4: We called the restaurant by the way, yeah, my cousin and I to make sure they had outside tables and they have heaters. I shared this info with my older brother and he said, if it's too cold to be at the park and barbecue, why would I want to sit outside even with a heater. You know, I'll probably just bring my own lunch to the park. So, I mean, it just feels like he's being difficult because he thinks that we are conspiring against him or something.
Speaker 3: But is he your younger brother, older brother, older brother brother. He's like they're treating he's treating him like his kids. Is that what he's doing, because that's what I think he's like the practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these these two dogs in the family group chat a lot of us, are you know, sending pictures of our kid or whatever is going on with the family. He sends pictures of his two dogs. Oh boy, he's got kids. They're grown now, there their college. His youngest just graduated from high school. So these two dogs have replaced the kids at the house.
Speaker 3: Well, and the dog is a good replacement because it'll never leave you unless it's dead. That's it. That's the only way the dog leaves. The only exit for the dog, the only off ramp is death. That's pretty much pretty much it. All right, Well, why don't we get to the mail bag. What do you say, Danny g you want a mail bag, Ohio, Al.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 5: It's all right.
Speaker 3: These thank you, Ohio. These are actual questions by actual listeners. If you would like to send in an email for a future episode of The Fifth Hour podcast with myself and Danny G Radio, very easy to do that. Just send it care of Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com, Real fifth Hour email dot com. First one is from Fred in Florida. Fred writes in and says, Hey, fellas, I know you're not big fans of the politics in California. Fred says, what did you guys think of Donald Trump sparring with some of your local politicians on Friday after noon?
Speaker 1: I liked it. I want to get your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch too much, but I saw people were sending me. I don't know about you, Danny, but people were sending me clips. And this is not a political podcast, but I just thought it was a lot of common sense stuff that I don't know. I know everything's partisan, and you know you're if you're on one team, you got a rip Trump no matter what. But the clip that I saw of him, and was it Karen Bass, the mayor who was in Africa while the city was burning down.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also my other really one of my all time favorite bloopers from any politician. Well, this week we had the Eagle chant, which is just absolutely wonderful. But Karen Bass, remember right after the fires, she did a news conference and she read word for word Ron Burgundy style off the teleprompter. The people of La who need help, you can help can be found at r L. She read off the prompter uur L, which was just.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 3: But No, I thought the part where he was saying, you have the power, mayor, you have a lot of power. You can let these people come back to their homes and you know, within twenty four hours. You don't have to make them wait a week or you know, months and all this and just expedite the permits. To me, that that's just maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Dandy.
Speaker 3: It just seems like that, yes, let these people get back in, let them, you know, don't give them ten million hoops, don't make it a steeplechase to rebuild their homes if they're able to do it. And there's a lot of those people that won't be able to do it because all their money was in the house and they even though they're living in Malibu or the Palisades, they don't have that kind of money. They inherited it, and all their money was in their house. So I don't know what they're going to do. You know, it's very expensive to build anything, but I agree with with Trump that they should just cut out the bureaucracy and let's get this thing going. This is an unprecedented situation. There has never been this kind of a fire that I guess, I don't know, never but in our modern times. What was the cow the Great Chicago fire, which I guess was a bullshit story that the cow started it? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard that this was probably some arsonists that started it. But either way, the whole city's not supposed to burn down. You know, you have a fire department, you have you're supposed to put guard rails up. The whole damn city should not burn down. But I just you know, again what I saw, I didn't see the whole thing, so maybe I missed part of it. But that exchange Danny I thought was outstanding. And I think that's that's why Trump won the election, because that's what the common person wants. You know, your house burns down. You want to get back to your house.
Speaker 4: You want it.
Speaker 3: You don't want to cut out the bullshit, and you want to be able to do you know, if you have the resource, you want to see what you've got and then you've got a place to live, get rebuild it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I read that if the red tape could be cut out of this, it would take around three years for some of these communities to get rebuilt. So how long is it really going to take. It's we will be ten years.
Speaker 3: Oh, by ten to fifteen years.
Speaker 4: That's that's just sad. And I was reading here. It says the briefing got tense after Bass brought up allowing residents to quickly rebuild from the damage after clearing hazardous waste from properties, prompting Trump to insist that residents were facing a delay of eighteen months to rebuild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had a line in there, which was great, you're gonna have all these contractors that have to be approved come in. It's going to cost these these residents like twenty five thousand dollars to get their property cleared. When if you allow them to go in, they'll show up with I'm paraphrasing here, but He essentially said, they'll show up with a truck, you know, pickup truck and haul all the shit away themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll they'll.
Speaker 3: Take care of themselves and within a couple of days they'll be ready to start the next step of the rebuild of their their home. So anyway, and then there was also a clip that I saw where he got into it one of these Weasley politicians in California that's responsible for the fires because they didn't take care of the forests, and they didn't they didn't take care of the water situation, so they're culpable. I'm sure there'll be a class action lawsuit against them at some point here. But he went on a r ant about he you know, listen, you should do things so this doesn't happen again. And the guy wouldn't even of course, you never admit to it. So he said, well, don't punish us. Why would you not punish you. You caused the whole freaking.
Speaker 1: City to burn down. You're in competent. You should be in jail. I'm gonna get off my soapbox, dady.
Speaker 3: I just I saw those clips and it got me got me worked up, all right. Alf from the Hollywood Walk of Fame rights, and he says, I know that you guys are humble and would not brag about all the famous people that you've come across in your careers, like a certain TV dentist.
Speaker 1: We all know.
Speaker 3: So I asked the question, what is it like working with so many former and current pro athletes? By the way, unlike the aforementioned TV dentist, you don't see me bragging about the fact that former Celtic third string center Hank Finkel once asked me Alf says for the time of day, or that I've eaten at the Dairy Queen across the street from Patrick Chard's High School, or that I saw a Lenny Clark comedy show down the street from the house that Connie Mack was born in. Some people, I tell you, very funny, very very funny. How some of these it's a mixed bag, Danny Ready. The ex jocks that have worked at our place, you know, some are pretty good. There's a lot of them that, unfortunately or not, they don't put the work in, which is unfortunate. I've always enjoyed the coaches more than the players. That's just me, you know, just kind of as a general rule like the coaches. Jim Morrow was awesome. Denny Green he only worked there for like a couple of weeks and then he was out, but he was He was cool, So the coaches. I we I did a bunch of shows during the NCAA tournament with.
Speaker 4: God.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of the gentleman's name.
Speaker 3: It's been so many years, but he was coach at LSU. He coached, He brought Shaquille O'Neal to LSU. I know who you're talking about, Brown, Dale Brown, very nice, love Dale Brown Dale. The thing about it, though, Dale didn't necessarily want to talk too much college basketball, but we brought him into talk college basketball was during.
Speaker 1: The NCAA tournament.
Speaker 3: I was doing shows like a round robin show. But he could not have been a nicer guy. He called me up from his hotel all excited the night before we were going over the show, and then he got there and he and he talked about a little bit. But it's like, eh, yeah, what.
Speaker 4: About you, Danny. The guests on media row at the Super Bowl had been pretty cool. A lot of coaches and players former current. The coolest dude who I put the headset on to talk to Klay Travis. Was your boy, dak Prescott Dakota. Yeah, he was really nice, impersonable, and then talked about the Lakers with me after he got off the air. He was a cool dude. Well that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're not. I mean some of these guys.
Speaker 4: Some are nice guys, just regular dudes, and other guys spend like CJ. Stroud. They stood there with glasses on and chains and big timed the media. Why are you there at media row if you don't want to interact with any of the radio people or the TV people, Why are you there to pimp a product? Because I'm not sure why him and his posse were there, but I simply went up to him and said, hey man, we were rooting for you all season long on the Covino and Rich show. The stage was right there, and I said, I work right there for FSR. And he he's just like head nod but like was a dick about it, like wouldn't engage, wouldn't even have a little conversation. It wasn't just me. I saw another media person go up to him and he did the same shit. So he was either have a bad day or he's just not personable. So yeah, it's it's hit or miss. And sometimes you don't want to know because you look up to somebody on TV that's playing a game, and then if you meet him in person, they may not turn out to be a good person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to meet your your heroes, right, they say you want to meet your heroes and all that.
Speaker 4: It's like the time Colin Kaepernick before the controversial stuff. Rich Davis went up to Uh. He said he waited for a good time, and he went up to Colin Kaepernick and said, Hey, I work for Sirius XM. Can I get a quick picture with you? Colin Kaepernick looked at him and said, nah, Man, David, I'll think so, I'm good man.
Speaker 3: You remember my to story when Terrell Owens was with the Philadelphia Eagles, remember you had that meltdown. He was doing push ups.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah, yeah, he was working out in his driveway.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so he was organized driveway and he was suspended from the Philadelphia Eagles. Well, he went out to LA and I was covering the Clippers. It was Valentine's Day. This is over twenty years ago, I believe now, but it was Valentine's Day and Teo was at the game. They're playing the Atlanta Hawks. I still remember the game and I was like, wow, I was doing the show with Chris Myers at the time, and I said, well, Chris does these NFL games.
Speaker 1: He knows too.
Speaker 3: So I went up to Owens at halftime and in the tunnel there at the old Staples Center as it was called, and I said who I was, and I said, I'd like to, you know, get you on the show, you know, Monday or whatever it was.
Speaker 4: I think it was a weekend.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was during the week.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I asked him to come on the show, and right in front of me, so, yeah, I'd love to do it. Call my manager, you know, and I said, well, you're right here.
Speaker 1: I don't why would I need to, you know. I mean, he was totally he was.
Speaker 3: Pulling me off. He blew me me off at a hotel near lax But he was trying to be I guess Corse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's trying to make the manager be the bad guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I mean, if you want to do it, is all right, here's my number.
Speaker 1: You know what time, you know, we'll do it, you know whatever.
Speaker 5: You need.
Speaker 3: Barry from South Carolina rights and says, yo, yo, Ma, Benny. I have listened to all your podcasts. I'm up to date as of this writing. What happened to the new game show? Are you smarter than an FSR tech Queen? I haven't heard anything about it in a while of Barry. Yeah, So, Barry, we were planning on doing it, and the night we were going to do it, the city of Los Angeles burned to the sea, and it just felt inappropriate to do it, and we were we've just kind of been dealing with that and I pushed it back, push it back, push it back now, and so that's why the night we were planning ondoing it, the city burned, and so that just felt like inappropriate, Like it was a bad, bad night to start a new game, and I'd set a bad taste in our mouth.
Speaker 1: So that's why we didn't do it.
Speaker 3: And there's toxic smoke in the air and all that email from unknown He says, Hey, you know, I'm a big fan of only fans and I like to send people money. How come we can't send you money on your social media? You guys should be able to have a subscription or a Venmo or a PayPal like other social media influencers. Know what's up with that? How much would you want me to pay you for a naked photo?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Oh no, unknown, nobody wants to see maybe Danny naked, but me, I guarantee you you you end up seeing me naked. You'll be like blind Scott before you know it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I mean, I got but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, it is interesting that the original influencers, we're radio people. We got the packages in the mail to try products first, we got the spokesman jobs. Yeah, all the stuff you see the quote unquote influencers do now on TikTok and Instagram that used to go to radio people.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I get a kick out of it because so much of the Internet is fake that you know, you to me, you're not getting the most bang for your buck. But it's a it's a rigged I feel I'm obviously biased because you know, we do do radio stuff, but it does seem like a lot of that is the matrix, as we like to say. You know, there's a lot of manipulation. You can what's around.
Speaker 1: You don't even know what's Yeah, not real you.
Speaker 4: Know, there's a lot of falsity in video editing doesn't have to be live, right, I mean you could kind of here through bullshit, if that makes sense when somebody's doing a live read like for instance, with iHeart, we're not allowed to promote a product unless we truly have used it. Is that the Is that the case for these influencers?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, And the algorithms and all that, and there's a lot there's so many ways you can manipulate downloads and views and things that really what I'm saying, Danny's I'm upset.
Speaker 1: I haven't been able to figure out.
Speaker 4: That the game is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I mean, my god.
Speaker 4: I mean there's some Hey, there's some cool ones like mister Beast and the Costco family Boom.
Speaker 3: You know, there's some there's some I watch bald and Bankrupt that this guy goes to all over the place, YouTube travel vlogger very good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, I'm not gonna sit here and say every single influencer is a piece of crap, but I would say half of the ones I see are crap.
Speaker 3: The other thing for this this person unknown. Did you remember that when TikTok went down for a few hours they shut TikTok down and there were a few people on TikTok. I read this in the Daily Mail, so it must be true that several prominent TikTokers, right, they thought TikTok was never coming back.
Speaker 1: And this was the end of their careers.
Speaker 3: And so they explained that how their most popular videos were not real, like the videos were manipulated.
Speaker 4: Oops.
Speaker 3: And then a few hours later TikTok was back. Oh it's so good, Danny, dude.
Speaker 4: That's like everybody thinking Fox Sports Radio was going to get shut down by the government, and you go and you go on social media and finally tell the truth about all your paid callers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And then the next day your overnight show comes back on the air.
Speaker 3: Wait till people find out that Marcel in Brooklyn and Blair in Maine are the same person.
Speaker 1: What their mind will explode?
Speaker 3: Danny and Doc Mike and Tamy and Montana the same voice actor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Genie and Medford. That's wife the whole time.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, laughing in the back room. It was crazy.
Speaker 3: She had to stop doing it because of you know, the Mary Mary Daddy. Ryan writes, since says, I know this isn't a sporty podcast, but I know how the saying goes. What is one crazy and mind boggling sports stat that doesn't seem real but is? He says, I'll start in his third Major League baseball game, in his tenth career at bat, newly inducted Hall of Famer Ichiro Single, bringing his lifetime batting average to three hundred. Since then, he's played two thousand, six hundred and fifty more games, ten seven hundred and twenty four more at bats, and never once did his batting average drop below three hundred. Ryan says, thanks again, boys, And the part of the he says, he Ryan Shrewsbury, and he wants the massholes that listen every day and watch Benny versus the penny, He wants them to know that this is Ryan, a star from Shrewsbury.
Speaker 1: So remember that name.
Speaker 3: And Ryan the stat the mother of all stats I will grong te guarantee will never ever be touched by anyone, not in our lifetimes, not in anyone's lifetime unless they change the rules of baseball. Is the fact that cy Young won five hundred and eleven games, five hundred and eleven it.
Speaker 4: I thought you were going to say that player that got a hit in the same day for two different teams.
Speaker 3: Oh, is that is that Joel Youngblood?
Speaker 1: Is that who that was?
Speaker 4: I think that's his name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, with the Giants and the Expos he got traded right, and then he went suited up for his new team and got a hit for them that same day. Yeah, I think, if I remember correctly, one of the games was with the Mets and one was the Phillies.
Speaker 4: So it's a short it's a short trip. I think your stat, You're right. Your stat's the mother of all stats. I do like that Tony gwyn stat you see floating around where it lists all those Hall of Fame pitchtures who faced him and he only struck out three times against all of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tony was of all the people I've been around in different sports, like he was the coolest, like just regular dude that was was really great, really great, but just carried himself like.
Speaker 1: A normal human being.
Speaker 4: It was Tony Gwynn.
Speaker 3: By far Kevin in Kansas Rights into the Mailbag, says Ben and Danny g. Since I retired, I've decided to sort and organize my house. I've purged a lot rown away stuff donated to a thrift store. I cannot believe how much stuff I've accumulated. Y'all have been talking about doing the same, so I'm wondering how that's been going with your own households, especially since you've been switching residents recently. Yeah, so I am absolutely thinking about doing this, Kevin, and I had this idea, Dan, I want to run.
Speaker 1: This by you, okay, And I haven't told anyone this.
Speaker 3: So I have a ton of old sports memorabilia, stuff I've picked up for my years in the business, and even stuff I had as a kid when I was collecting autographs in Anaheim. I used to stock baseball players that give me bats and crap like that. I have a really cool collection. So I was thinking about opening up. And I don't need all this stuff, you know, as I'm getting older. You know, not that I'm planning on leaving anytime soon, like dying, but you.
Speaker 1: Want you know, you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't hold onto everything, and somebody could appreciate this stuff more than me some of it, some of it I'll never get rid of.
Speaker 1: But I was thinking about.
Speaker 3: Starting like an eBay page and people can buy crap from my garage, and then the money I will use to pay for like a mallor meet and greet somewhere, I'll just use that to travel to a malor meet and greet, which I ended up spending my own money on the company doesn't pay for it. So I'm thinking about doing that.
Speaker 4: That's kind of cool, actually, I think that was you could you could even do a malor meet and greet in Canada.
Speaker 1: Oh, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 3: We've been doing well and we had Edmonton. We'd be getting calls from Edmonton. They're very active there, late at night, always in a good mood I've never had. I've never had a Canadian caller that's a dick.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Some have not been good callers. We picked up. We have a regular guy in Montreal now that calls the Overnight show Edmonton. We have some people in Toronto. We used to have a couple of guys in Vancouver.
Speaker 1: That were regular.
Speaker 3: But it'd be fun to go to I do want to get to Montreal at some point. I was so close when I visited Arnie this past last year, you know, last year, So who knows.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about doing it.
Speaker 4: Let me.
Speaker 3: Know what you think, would you want to buy some of my stuff that you know it's actually pretty? I say it's crap, but it's actually I was looking through some of it. There's some cool stuff in there. Yeah, sports cards and memorabilia I've gotten from games.
Speaker 4: Oh, and this is the time to do it because that whole card culture had a rebirth during COVID. And now you see the astronomical numbers that this stuff is auctioning off for. And how that eleven year old in La found that one of one Paul Skeen's card. Yeah, and the pirates offered a huge haul in that. That Ken Golden guy who has a show on Netflix, he's trying to get the kids baseball, and he says all the money will go to the LA fire victims. So everybody's after this baseball. It's people are saying millions of dollars or for this card. I'm sorry for this one, Paul Skeen's baseball card, millions of dollars. It's not even an old card. Ben It used to be like the Honus Wagner and the old cards. Now there's new cards that are still worth a shit ton of money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's wild, U do a couple more Get out Mike and Fullerton right since says what's up Ben and Danny G. I've listened to a few old episodes of The Fifth Hour and this I'm a Pilot guy sounded like a big fan of the show. But he hasn't sent anything to the mail bag in years. Do you have any idea what happened to him? It seems like he stopped listening right around when Danny.
Speaker 1: G took over. That's from Mike, Yeah, that's yeah. I don't know what. I don't know that that must have been a friend of gets.
Speaker 3: I gotta think that was a friend of Gascon because this I'm a Pilot guy would send these long emails during COVID, and I'm pretty sure I don't think we were getting catfished or anything like that, because he'd send photos from his travels to China, where during COVID, you showed up to the airport, you were immediately quarantined, and there were people in space suits that greeted you at the airport and took you to a hotel and it was like you were in jail in the hotel, And he said he sent photos to verify everything but yeah.
Speaker 4: You don't think he could have found those photos online?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean, listen, he could have, but there were a lot of detail in that in those emails.
Speaker 1: Now, maybe he's just a good writer and that's possible.
Speaker 4: Or maybe Gascon was a good writer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hey, I you never know, man, it's uh at the end of the mine.
Speaker 1: But I didn't. I have emails from that. I can go back.
Speaker 4: And David's kind of laid back though. I don't know if he would put that much effort into a bit oh shots fire, Oh you know what I'm saying. You remember him kicking back in the update studio. Do you think he would jump through hoops to do.
Speaker 1: A bit, Yeah, probably not.
Speaker 4: He doesn't strike me as that sort of guy who's like, ah, like rubbing his hands together and doing all this sextra work so that he could.
Speaker 1: Get you, yeah, anonymous rights.
Speaker 3: And it says Danny G talked about on a previous episode how he met his wife in the supermarket. That's a really old time move. So do you guys realize when you're in the supermarket, people like the two of you should be looking around like Danny did on that day to help his wife grab something. But you should actually be looking at elderly people because their muscles aren't as strong and it's hard to get the stuff on the highest shelves.
Speaker 1: So here's the question why this is great, here's the.
Speaker 3: Question which supermarket has the most narrow shelves? And have you also noticed that they don't put stuff on the shelves away right right?
Speaker 1: Anymore? They don't put stuff back themselves.
Speaker 3: They leave it all over the floor the retail stock until they can put it away because they don't.
Speaker 1: Have the help.
Speaker 3: So when are robots going to put all the stuff away?
Speaker 4: There you go. There's a lot of layers to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you want to tackle that one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're a single person, always keep your eyes out at the grocery store. And also borrow somebody's dog. We talked about dogs to start this podcast. Borrow a buddy's dog if you don't have one, and take the dog to a dog park. Yeah, dog park is a grocery store. Dog park.
Speaker 1: Go jim in La. Women in La go to the gym all dulled up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they don't like to be approached at gym's.
Speaker 1: I don't know man and women at.
Speaker 4: Well, the skates like to be approached.
Speaker 3: The one that are wearing the makeup, And why would you wear makeup to go work out unless you wanted some guy to, you know, give you some attention, I would think, right, Oh.
Speaker 4: Insecurities is the reason why some of them wear makeup like that.
Speaker 1: Maybe, But here goes we like, why would you make up on the switch?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well okay, so let me say this. If they're not doing a real workout, if they're there just to walk around and chit chat with everybody, then yeah. But if they're they're really doing a workout most of the time, that's what they're focused on.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and they get the headphones in, you know, but every one of the gym's like a zombie. They all got the headphones in, you know, one's interacting really with anybody. They're all got their headphones. And as far as the market that, I don't know, what do you want me.
Speaker 4: To do with that? And what was the last part of his question there?
Speaker 3: He says, when are they going to bring in roll robots, dock the shelves and whatnot? Eh, I like that they have people doing that.
Speaker 1: And last one, I think this is the last one.
Speaker 3: Kevin and Tempe writes in he says, Ben and Danny, I know you guys talk about sports for a living. Any interest in becoming a professional sports owner? He says, the major Major league pickleball team in town, the Arizona Drive. They've decided that to sell the owners you can you Ben and Danny can buy a pickleball team. The franchise is valued at ten dollars.
Speaker 4: Uh, that's all right, that's doable. I'd have to sell my car, you'd have to sell your mansion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what we what do we crowdsource? To Danny, you think were crowdsourced?
Speaker 4: I think instead of your new eBay page funding a trip for a malor meet and greed, it should be to raise funds for our very own pickleball team.
Speaker 1: It's a great idea, it's a great let's do it. I don't even know what.
Speaker 3: I've watched like one pickleball thing and it was boring, so I stopped watching it, says Jake. I just looked at up up here, Kevin's team and Kevin and Tempe.
Speaker 1: Jake Plumber is one of the owners.
Speaker 3: Larry Fitzgerald, former NFL player, says Major League Pickleball MLP had fifty million dollars in revenue that does not include local revenue streams.
Speaker 1: For the teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for the Dodgers to go for sale and then I'll buy the dot.
Speaker 1: Get out anything you want to.
Speaker 3: I'll be back tonight to break down the championship games in the AFC and the NFC will preview the Super Bowl, our first look, our first thoughts on oh.
Speaker 4: Man amandos versus the Bills.
Speaker 1: So we're excited about all of that.
Speaker 4: And well, I'll be on.
Speaker 1: You'll be on with Covino and Rich.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Covino and Rich. We'll be back in the Saddle Monday afternoon slash evening depending on where you live. On the West Side two to four pm, and that's five to seven pm in beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Speaker 3: Yes, been been there, been there, walk the board walk there. All right, have a wonderful rest of your day, enjoy the games. Remember Benny versus the Penny still available, and we'll have a new podcast next weekend.
Speaker 1: But we'll get you on the.
Speaker 3: Radio all week long later.
Speaker 4: Skater gotta murder, I gotta go