Speaker 1: It was wild though, Like I saw you're writing in the dock Jack about being at a kid's party. I was also at a kids party. Yeah. It was like it was like looking around trying to catch eyes with somebody who might be up to what's going on, so you can because like when I was there at this party, that's when the they not like us dropped and I was like, I have my phone out and be like, can any anyone? And it's like it's like a bunch of kids and like older relatives who like couldn't couldn't tell you who any of these people were. And then I found like a couple of people who were like, there's a new one. They're like no, no, I had to go outside. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was getting the most surface level, like did you hear about this? Yeah, I guess there's a beef with Drake and Kendrick Lamar. Do you guys hear about this?
Speaker 1: I'm like, I have no patience for that. I'm like, I want if you're not doing bar for bar analysis, I want to hear from me. No.
Speaker 2: I knocked the birthday cake out of their hand and stormed out of the bowling alley. Yeah, hello the internet and Welcome to this episode of it's a production of iHeart Radio. It's Monday, May Sick. This is the episode where we tell you what is trending, what trended over the weekend. My name is Jack O'Brien. That over there, well, that is mister Miles.
Speaker 1: Great. Here we are on a Monday, just a lot we sinker a mile. It was May the Fourth be with you. It was Kendrick Drake Beef weekend. It was everything, Yeah, student protests or everything, it everything's everything is Kendrick.
Speaker 2: I mean we're ten minutes into this recording just talking about Kendrick Drake Beef. That's I think the thing this weekend will be remembered by a lot of case. Absolutely, although we are May of the fourth family. Now, we did honor May the Fourth by going to a movie marathon of all the Star Wars movies. Took took my kids to a couple of them.
Speaker 1: Oh, because wait are they all? Are they all back in the theaters? Oh for the weekend. They just put up this weekend at.
Speaker 2: That theater that's owned by Disney. Like up on Hollywood, the worst place in LA Like that cross section of Hollywood Boulevard where like right across from Chinese Yeah, right across from Man's Chinese theater.
Speaker 1: Theater that they own.
Speaker 2: Oh el cappy ten, I think yeah, Cap Tan, Yeah yeah, yah yeah yeah. So my son had not seen episode three. We were like that one's a little intense. We're gonna hold We're gonna hold it back. And I had just like randomly been like maybe when you're eight, thinking that he would forget because that was like two years ago, and he did not.
Speaker 1: That shit like on a jail cell calendar exactly like each day being marked off.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to see what the what the Siths did? Yeah, okay, but there were not a lot of kids at that it was. It was an adult event people because they were in it for the long haul. Anyways, shout out to the Star Wars fans, hope you all had had some fun. We'll talk about the Drake Kendrick Beef. I'm definitely not as in deep as you and Brian the editor are, but.
Speaker 1: I mean everyone's in it no matter what.
Speaker 2: Yet it well my entire social media feed.
Speaker 1: By Osmosis, and it's it's ambient everywhere. Little disheartening given the atrocity sound being across the world that like this is doing the kinds of engagement. You're like, what the fuck? Even cab drivers are like, you know, Kendrick just dropped. No, He's like I watched this mustard on the beat Hope, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think people needed a distraction maybe this weekend.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, oh yes.
Speaker 2: All right, So we're gonna get into all the things that are trending. First, we like to let you guys get to know us a little bit better by telling you some things that we think are overrated, underrated. Miles, you want to kick us off with some of these things ot overrated? Okay, So my overrated is Stanley Quencher's. They're done, they're cooked, no washed, they're drinking. Yes, I'm telling you it's over for So I'm visiting family, uh and in Miami right now. And one of her Majesty's younger cousins had a birthday.
Speaker 1: She's like in junior high and whenever we talk, I'm always I'm just always picking her brain about like what, like what the fuck is cool or you know, like what the cool shoes are, like if they fuck with this or that? Whatever? And when I asked if she had a Stanley, she was like, a, yeah, I got two of those. And she's like but she's like, but that's not even what everyone's using now. And I was like what and she's like yeah, and now everyone is starting to get the simp modern and I said, what the fuck is that? So I google it. It's it's the fun I don't know how the same thing. It's the fucking same thing. It's just like a little more minimal somehow, just a little bit the esthetically less lead. Yeah, I don't know what it's made of. But I was like, what do you mean. She's like, yeah, people like simple moderns now like Stanley's are still cool, but like, I think simple moderns like people are trying to like those more. And this is obviously one very narrow, you know, uh, anecdote from one school where this is come, this is happening, right. It's just like the idea that suddenly the thing that was the must have fucking cup, like within fucking weeks is suddenly this other thing that looks pretty much the sack is so funny to me that it's like and also the idea that's like it's over, bro, it's over.
Speaker 2: It's over, Stanley, I mean it it didn't feel like. So we talked about how the guy who uh is I think the CEO at Stanley had been or chief marketing officer at Kroc Crocs when they like became a big thing. But like Crocs were unique and specific enough of a product that like, once they became popular, it's not like people were just like, oh no, I like, go to this other thing. I mean, there are other versions of Crocs, but Crocs had been around for so long, whereas like Stanley is just like one of many many like yeah, cup Quencher brands right that ye tumblers, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, they come and they go, They come and they go.
Speaker 2: So you know he's gonna need to move on to his next next thing, spinny propeller hats for him.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen them. More and more unironically, I think I think I should sent you a message when I was in Japan when I saw a kid's clothing store another fuck un ironically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coming to Dunce caps also, I think those on Dunce caps that I think plan hoods for students exactly for the bad studentslan hood basically yeah, exactly, just without the eye covering. Although you could just like take old clan hoods and like push the mask part up into into the crown.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In case you got some old plan hoods lining around, you can easily repurpose.
Speaker 1: Those in the dunce. Yeah, it's not a windsock, like he keeps telling you it is all right. My overrated is like.
Speaker 2: I just keep seeing these mind like the mind of men, like memes like the we talked about the Rome one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like men all.
Speaker 2: Men think about Like men talk about Rome constantly. Men think about sex every seven seconds.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The latest one I heard recently is that like every man I've ever asked says that eagles are their favorite bird.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, I'm just it's so dumb, man, the eagles their favorite bird?
Speaker 2: Yeah shit, so in it's both condescending, but it also like I then have to spend so much time and energy researching eagles and Rome and forcing myself to think about sex so that I don't get my man card revoked.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's the most important thing too, Yeah, hanging on to my man card.
Speaker 1: Bro, when the masculine mind police show up and like, hey man, you think about sex, right? Yeah? Bro? And until you came in here. That's yeah. I was actually thinking of a Roman crest that had an eagle and that was on a man having sex. So yeah, yeah, just I do it efficiently. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean, prior to finding out what I was supposed to be into, I hummingbirds were my favorite bird, and I didn't think about Rome unless that B fifty two song was playing. I don't even think that's about the city of Rome, but that was really the only time. And I could go like literally hours without thinking about sex. But I've I've cured myself of of those thought crimes and now I'm true.
Speaker 1: Man. Uh, I just have that one AirPod in all day that says eagles room sex, that's right. Yeah, I'm trying to think of what the favorite bird. Thing's so weird because I've never I don't think I've ever had to articulate a response to that. It's just like I think bird, I don't. Sometimes birds just freak me out. Not no, like they freaked me out, but like like we like they're not chill, like you try and grab a bird, like like they're fluttering and sh' like ahh, what the fuck? Eh? Yeah, But I think honestly, for me, I think it's probably a tie between like crows and and vultures or condors vultures. Damn yea, all right, because I did it. I remember the condor thing, specifically the California condor. I remember how like that was like one of the first reports I did as a child, Like we had to do an endangered animal report, and that was when I did. And I was like, oh, this this, this fucking this big fucker is pretty cool. That big fucker, big fucker, giant fucker almost extinct, but I think now the populations are covered. But yeah, uh and then crows, yeah, because they used tools and ship that such a They fucking used tools.
Speaker 2: The man they used us as tools. They used tracked nuts on the street to have our cars drive over it.
Speaker 1: Because the corned beef going. It's like there's a there's a squirrel that is So I had corvids.
Speaker 2: There were tearing plants out of our yard, and then I started feeding them almonds and we were cool for a little while, and then a squirrel found.
Speaker 1: Out that I was feeding them almonds.
Speaker 2: So now I've had to like stop because I was just get like giving this squirrel like chronic obesity. It was getting like too fat to like climb trees.
Speaker 1: Oh like you could see it.
Speaker 2: Oh like yeah, it see the squirrel getting fat.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And also he would take the almonds and bury them, so he contributed to the problem. So, but they haven't been fucking our yard up or any umbrellas up. So I think we have like a grudging respect for one another.
Speaker 1: I do. I do wish we could have just like a you know, unlike a quid pro pro.
Speaker 2: I've said it before, but it really is the only way to describe the relationship. I'm after where I could just feed them and they could protect our yard from anything that wanted to fuck with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, maybe if there's like a corvid whisper or something that can broker that deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, frequent guest been Bowling had some ideas, but it involved like me wearing a hat and having a call that I did to the crow when I would go out to feed them, and it just I could I.
Speaker 1: Couldn't bring myself to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Unfortunately, we're we're paused at this points. Yeah, but crows are awesome and probably you know, higher on my list than eagles and uh yeah, vultures. In Yeah, the California condor like they just when you're driving on a highway in California sometimes like something will fly over your car that is the size of a fucking truck.
Speaker 1: A shadow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are massive fucking birds out here that are really cool. Not as cool as eagles though, Man, fucking eagles.
Speaker 1: Is that like that's just that it has to be like an American thing, right, because that's probably that's all eagle man full.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised if it's like CIA shit, like the way that the CIA, like what funded modern art. They've like moved on to like internet memes that are like thought controlled devices for people sex Eagle exactly all these candidates are going to activate. It's like we need to get people thinking about the fall of Rome because we're in a state of decline. So yes, we need to like get them, but then they'll see comperatively, this fall is better because at least there's TV and internet. While they just had circuses and bread, we have togos and outback steakhouts the best what.
Speaker 1: Something miles that you think is underrated? Underrated?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Just what a formula one Grand Prix does to a city. Again, I'm in Miami. The Miami Grand Prix happened over the weekend, and everywhere you look there were people dressed up in Formula one regalia. There was fucking buses with just all kinds of sponsors emblazoned on it for all the different racing teams. Uh, they're just parties. There's cars, just insane displays of wealth. I was walking along the beach and like I thought my eyes, like it was at night, and there's just like this black mass on the tent, like on the beach, and it was a fucking tent the size of a fucking aviation hangar on the sand, okay, and just music fucking blaring out of it. All these like very well dressed people going in and out, and I was like, what the fuck is going on? And then I asked the security guard. I was like, Oh, what's this. He's like Ferrari party and I'm like, oh, for the He's like, yeah, for the Formula one thing. And I was like, what why is it so big? He's like they like. He's like there's cars in there, there's like live performances. He's like it's a whole thing. And I'm like, holy shit.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then I was like reading a thing too about how like I think to Grand Prix there was like some places that were charging people two hundred dollars for chicken wings. Yeah, like just because they can. And I I think I severely underrated. Like I've seen the show and you know, I get like the drama between the teams and things like that, but the consumer culture around it is fucking wild. Like on the flight from LA there were so many people like dressed up like it was like like Davos but more fun, right, you know, Like it was just like all these hyper wealthy people like being like, oh where are you staying? Like oh yeah, like we're gonna be We're gonna be in the paddock. Dah da da da. And I just had no idea, Like I I was ignorant to this, So yeah, I was completely underrating what that whole shit is, like the amount of infrastructure that moves, the amount of money that flows. And like dude, they were fucking police escorting civilians in fancy cars to get through traffic all weekend. What Like I would hear siren like oh shit, yeah, I was like what the fuck's going on? To bike cops and then like a beamer behind it, and I was like, what the fuck is this bike cops or motorcycle like mot yeah, motorcycle cops. Yeah, it is so hard holding up a bluetooth speaker to be a siren. But and then I and then I like asked the locals like, Yo, what the fuck is this? Like oh yeah, they just it's dude, this is like this is Miami, man, Like, if you're rich enough, you can get a police escort like wherever through traffic. And I was like, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, that's wild. Yeah I want that.
Speaker 2: We were like I think we've talked before about how Moscow you can, like with the rich kind of travel around in ambulances with the sirens on, so like because everything else is like grid luck and yeah, we're not far away, We're we're headed towards Russian kleptocers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what's like, the hottest new car is an ambulance. Like the hottest new car is this ambulance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the met Galave sports that's just like the wealth. Yeah, the metcala is happening this week. Yeah, well we'll talk about the theme, which.
Speaker 1: Maybe can't. Yeah, I think that is the theme being completely out of touch. Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was an executive at like one of the companies that aren't cracked that was super into Formula one shit and yeah all the stuff. When he was like explaining to me why he's into it, it was all like just like, I mean, each of these engines is like five million dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I get that, like whatever, but it's like it's like the weird shit around it, right, It's like the scene around it too, where it's like, yeah, I need to buy two hundred dollars chicken wings because I'm at this fucking event. You can't even there's no fucking world you congestin. They're like, or you get the caviar upgrade for four hundo. Yeah, no, we're to gook. Sure do you think do you think my underrated is just how much work we have left to do on natural peanut butter? Natural? The natural peanut butter, the ones.
Speaker 2: So about a year ago, as a family, we decided, you know, the peanut butter that doesn't separate is actually like we we don't want those chemicals or you know, if you want to starve peanut butter at this point, like it's because it has palm oil and weird ingredients that aren't good for you or the planet. So we made that decision, not saying everyone has to. You know, I spent my life up until last year living that no stir life. But now I'm a little bit better than people who still use no no stir peanut butter. And it's not a problem. You know, we all make our choices.
Speaker 1: But it's I don't know.
Speaker 2: I used to be able to, like eat peanut butter pretty seamlessly. It was a great protein delivery system for the kids. We're just log rolling ants on a log out here, and like this weekend, I was trying to make ants on a log and I realized, like the natural peanut butter we have was like past its expiration date. Like it was fine, we still ate it, it was okay, but like there there was never a time when we'd not use a no ster peanut butter, like to expiration date. It was like on that list of like things that never went to bad. Like I feel like we we never don't eat like apples, Like apples will never rot in our household, you know, like bananas have never gone bad in our household, Like you're saying the rate of consumption is consumption, Like we're never like forgetting about that.
Speaker 1: I thought you're like to seeing like we'll eat rotten apples in this house.
Speaker 2: Like it's just like those those foods that always get eat like right away the peanut butter was on that and now it's just the no ster thing. I'm not saying like it's the best we've got. I guess I'm just having that check it. Like when we were talking about paper straws, like you know, definitely the best option in terms of like for the planet, but not good enough. I feel like that's where we're at with peanut butter, Like we we need to come up with something.
Speaker 1: But I mean, what's what's the real threat of expire? Here's the other thing. I didn't know peanut butter could go bad. And I've had jars that where it's like you get to that like final third and it's kind of just chilling and you always use it. And I never even thought twice to look at an expiration date. Yeah, I don't know why, Like in my mind it's like honey, where it's like get that that's a shit kick. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the reason that I was checking expiration dates was because it was like hard, Like the non oil part was so hard. I was like having to stir it in and I was, oh fucking blowing it. Man, I got oil everywhere. It was a disaster.
Speaker 1: Slatched them out run beautiful shirt with oil spains. So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I I mean, there's there's Reddit hacks about like storing it upside down, and the refrigerator helped, but it's still.
Speaker 1: Just like such an oily mess iel. I feel like.
Speaker 2: Someone's there's a breakthrough to be made with natural peanut butter that Isn't this fucking annoying to deal with?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Would be?
Speaker 2: Would be my pitch to the world, my prayer for the world of peanut butter.
Speaker 1: Start reading the peanut butter trades man, stay up on all the new technology advancements, because they're they're happening. They're happening. Jackie just got to know where to look.
Speaker 2: Men read about peanut butter at least once every day.
Speaker 1: That's that's true. Yeah, I mean I just had to google it. Can it really go bad? I'm all worried now. Yeah, eating old peanut butter effect the last month. Oh no, I have to look at it when I get back to my house. I'm gonna, I think I'm going to be amazed at how old this thing is that I've just been like just picking away at over the last month.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah ours ours was expired in February and it was still fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was still fine. Watch I'm telling you, I'm gonna I'm probably at least eighteen months off with this one that I've been eating at home.
Speaker 2: But like, do you remember, like, were you before four peanut butter like needed to be stirred? Did you consume peanut butter more than at a rate that would leave an eighteen month old jar in your pantry? Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when my like when my dad lived in the house, he was a big peanut butter guy. So we definitely got through it because I would always eat like peanut butter toast for breakfast.
Speaker 2: Yeah me too, Yeah, a little bit of butter that just a little bit of butter, Just a little bit of butter.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I'm not saying like I'm lazy.
Speaker 2: This is like pure laziness, like just not wanting you to deal with the stirring uh every time, And that's on me. But I'm just saying, like, as a I have found my equilibrium with peanut butter that needs to be stirred, and it is that I end up not using it because it's too much of a pain in the ass and the product like once even once it's stirred, it's still just like the consistency isn't quite there. I like it, So I don't know, ze, let me know if I if I'm fucking up, if there's like some really good version of the all natural peanut butter that I'm just missing out on. Uh, let me know. Yeah, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about beef, another great protein delivery system, the Kendrick and Drake Beef will be right back and we're back.
Speaker 1: And what a weekend. What a fucking weekend. You heard propaganda. He came on the show and we were freaking out about this beef and where it was headed. Then Friday came. Kendrick Lamar dropped another track after the first one, Euphoria or you know, like whatever you want to tell ever you want, however you want to count these.
Speaker 2: Before drop, that's what you and Proper are talking about. Yeah, it dropped earlier in the week, and it was like breaking streaming Records, and everyone was like, oh, Kendrick has won the beef, Like Kendrick has has won.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, this is this is a lot he It's it was like a very like concern troll. It's like, Hey, I'm worried about you, man. You don't even know who you are? You okay, dudey fucking culture vulture. Yeah, which is kind of had that energy to it. Then on Friday morning, he dropped a track called six sixteen in La. Jack Antonoff, famous Taylor Swift collaborator, was also on that beef along with the producer sound Wave, and I think a lot of people were like, this is him saying this is Taylor made, because that other Drake track was Taylor made, but this was literally made by the dude who makes Taylor's tracks. Like the amount of the I just love the amount of engagement this has caused where people like I tweeted this, like people are like hip hop fans are doing like QAnon levels of connecting the dots, like to a point where I'm like, all right, Like some of this shit makes sense. Other shit is truly Like JFK is going to reappear Daley Plaza, Daley Square, like get ready right. Then Drake responded by dropping this track Family Matters that evening and everyone with a full on music video of him like will look like crushing the Kid, Mad City Van, and everyone's like, whoa Drake, He's got a whole video and shit too. Not even fucking fifteen minutes goes by, Kendrick drops another fucking track called Meet the Grams, Yeah, with like talking about his family and shit, talking about how you got a fucking eleven year old daughter that is like.
Speaker 2: Secret seemingly like also responding to like family mess Family Matters like it was. It was like he somehow had heard Family Matters already there there was like some weird, spooky shit that was It was like he already he already knew what Drake was about to.
Speaker 1: Drop exactly and even had a line that said like did you ever think that Ovo could be working for me? Yeah? And you're like, what the fuck is going on? And then the next day you get this other fucking track, uh not like Us that came out and everyone's like, what in the fuck is happening? Kendrick does not stop dropping tracks. Uh. Then yesterday Drake drops another song called The Heart Part six and many people were like okay, like we needed we didn't even have a second to process the first Drake response because Kendrick replied so quickly and then this next one. It's interesting though, because so you know, there's like sort of a darkness to this whole beef because like Kendrick is accusing Drake of like grooming miners, Drake is accusing Kendrick of being a domestic abuser, and like you're like if true, Like this is so fucking this is just becoming more grim. But there's also this I don't know, the excitement that people have because this really it's like the music equivalent of people like insulting each other in the cafeteria like in junior high. We're like ooh, and like they come back with another thing, and everyone is just so fucking like everyone I was around, like some people knew about it, other people didn't. I was like looking strangers in the eyes, like on the street, to be like do you want to talk? No, okay, you enough for you just calling people in the phone book. How would you like to talk about the Kendrick? Yeah, Drake, Hi, okay, all right, thank you? Is this Rachel? Is this Rachel Anderson? Oh there, okay, I'll hang up.
Speaker 2: Hi. Is this Eric and Mitchell's versus the Machines, by the way that I just saw where the kid the kid is going through the phone book just being like, Hi, would you like to talk to me about dinosaurs? No?
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you Cross truly truly joke shout out to that movie. But yeah, it's just it's like, as music fans, I've I honestly have not been so invested in like this back and forth between two artists like this, yea, and yeah, there's just a lot. There's just a lot fucking happening. But then like, so, the latest thing that happened is Drake's latest response. He's saying that he set Kendrick Lamar up with bad information about him having an eleven year old daughter and basically provoked this response based on all this bad information that Drake had secret been feeding Kendrick's camp. But everyone's like that none of that. That doesn't make sense. If that was true, you felt like your first response to that Kendrick track wouldn't have been like, nah, uh right, I don't have an eleven year old daughter, But then be like, actually, dude, I planted that information and everyone's a little bit dubious on this fact because this is the logic of it does not make sense in any way. Yeah, so you know, here we are. I don't know if there's gonna be more songs. There might be, there might not be. It's like, to be honest, it's also like kind of exhausting to like, yeah, like listen so intently and just try and fucking picture it apart. But yeah, wow, I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't remember the last time something like pop cultural has taken over the zeitgeis this thoroughly like it feels like Barbenheimer a little bit, Like Yeah, that weekend, like it was just all anyone was talking about on social media. People were talking about it, like like I said of the kid's birthday party, was that when I was like driving down the street, I heard Euphoria playing from like a pre like with the windows down, which is like such a weird, dark, contemplative feeling song. It broke like streaming records. I don't even think it's like the best song of of like what's been released, like the al Green sample one which.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah six sixteen in la.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess that one's only on Instagram, So maybe that's why that one's not going as crazy. But the most memorable moments for me was like Kendrick seeming to be like anticipating everything, like the bag of stuff that he had, Like he had a picture, yeah, bag prescriptions on it with like Drake's prescriptions for ozempic, which has been like a claim all along. Like it felt like there's this like it's it went from being like a you know, a fight movie or something you know, like a boxing movie or you're like, oh, to like starting to get the feeling that you're watching a horror movie. Yeah. Like Kendrick was like wrapping from inside a closet in Drake's house right exactly, watching him sleep, Like it just felt like they were playing different games, and one Hendrick was winning in a way that was almost unnerving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm talking to your mom, I'm talking to your dad, and you're like you you fucked up terribly raising this child. It's kind of because rap Beef uses to be like, oh, I'm better than you, like hear my numbers, blah blah blah. But now I mean that's what's that's what sort of makes it so charged on all these levels. Like with just like all of these allegations and that like fans being like you need to look into the death of Triple X dantusion, like it there's there, Drake was has something to do. There's so much other shit happening that I'm like, it's getting to a part like there's so much lore that I maybe I have time for. I don't know, but I will say the production has also just been so some of these beats like this is produced like truly some some of like their most memorable work of like recent memories. So yeah, like I said, if you're I think for the neutrals, it's a lot easier to digest than people who are like a vested interest in being like I don't give a fuck, like what he's saying about Kendrick ronickive a fuck, what're hes saying about Drake, Like there's just you're just watching two people lyrical pugilists go back and forth. But I think, yeah, myself and many others are like I think Kendrick may have the edge sheer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Euphoria is the number one song still on the like Apple Music like top one hundred global, right, just like a marry like this is like a global event like do a Lipa dropped a new album on I think Friday there. Last week, Taylor Swift dropped an album like a week or two ago, and the top three songs are songs from this Beef. Well yeah, and they're and they're dark as fun.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy shit. Yeah. This is the other thing too, is like for how big Drake is, I don't I mean, unless like this there's like some real legal shit behind some of these allegations. I don't know like how this affects him really, We'll see, like next time he goes out in public or performs or puts an album out like how people respond. But I don't know. I mean, like for some people like who are just looking at it purely, like on the battle side, they're like, all right, well he's done, and I think he just Redany's realized his lane is just making party records. Yeah, yeah, and that's that. But yeah, I mean, like also, his response to the Drake allegations is a little bit weird. He's like, he's like, if you think I was like abusing minors, like I'm pretty sure I'd be arrested for it by now, And you're like, yes, this is a weird. These are fucking wild ass rap versus. Yeah, but yeah, here we are. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: We had the Tom Brady roast over the weekend. I just saw ads for it. I didn't I have yet to see any clips, but.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, Nicky Glazer fucking came for him. Dude, came for his soul, his spirit. She's like, oh, you've got how many how many super Bowl rings? Does you have? Seven? Do you think? I think so? He's like, well, now eight, now that Giselle gave you, like gave hers back to you. She's like she just had all these just kept hitting all these like failed marriage jokes. And then she's like, how did you get scammed on crypto? Like does everyone like making fun of him for that crypto shit? But yeah, like apparently from what I saw, Brady did an okay job at pretending to be a good like sport about it. Although, like then Jeff Ross made a joke that referenced Robert Kraft's pension for massage parlors, and Tom Brady did it up and got in his ear and said, don't say that shit again. Wow, And he was like, oh, okay, I got it, Like and it's so weird. It's like you let other like I'm pretty sure Jeff Fross made a joke about his sister that he laughed about and he was like, but.
Speaker 2: No, not not Bobby Kraft, billionaire miles Yeah, right, yeah, who cares.
Speaker 1: That's right. That is very funny.
Speaker 2: That's like with Will Smith with Jada, like it seems like there might be some strain beneath the surface with a reaction like that where you're like, oh shit, Robert Kraft must have been not like in those jokes or super sensitive about that for sure. And then yeah, a billionaire team owner getting jacked off was like the line that yeah, for him, he didn't want anyone to cry.
Speaker 1: But like making cotton picking jokes to black comedians was look, this is the other thing too, right. Kim k was like booed to the point that like they kind of derailed her shit. And there are a lot of like just like black jokes from white comedians that just started feeling super old, like talking about like like fucking to somebody. Tony Hinchcliff I think was telling Kevin Hart about like, uh, like some some cotton picking joke that was just fucking so stupid, like and like those kinds of jokes from white comedians directed that black people are not funny. And I get that part of these roasts are too mercilessly fucking batter the guest of honor and the people on the dais, But some of the jokes are just like this chick had sex with black guys. Whoa and she's not black. Like it's like, I just don't think that shit. Like there are so many ways to fucking roast someone, but using like sexist racist tropes as like an engine for your comedy is so twenty ten that I'm like, okay, whatever, like the hell for you? Like you can talk about his failed marriage, man, keep it in the fucking keep it in the ring.
Speaker 2: So Kim Kardashian was like on the dais and that, so that becomes like other people that you can hit with strays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, people in the audience. Yeah, it's like if you're there and people know you're there, you're you know cause they know who's going to be there. That's how they prep for this, so right then they just go and uh yeah, just do their thing, do their thing. But yeah, I don't know. Part of me is just like I don't know if like roasts like this are just feel dated in that sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, totally, Like they always have felt a little dated to me, like the I don't know the entire sensibility of them. Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 1: Pam Anderson one was like so fucking violent. Well, you know, like it was just all people just like tearing her down for being in Playboy or like you know, like having sex with Tommy Lee or whatever. And it's just like, and I get it at the time, That's what it was like. In retrospect, You're like, what the fuck is this like just some weird like misogyny, racist release valve for comedians to go and just say shit that they normally can't do in their normal sets, or at least some probably doing their normal sets. Yeah, but yeah, I was just like all right, but yeah, the Tom Brady thing defending Robert Craft seemed to get a lot of attention because he really like like put his on his shoulder.
Speaker 2: Don't say that shit again, Okay, anybody made fun of him for the way like he made his son kiss him on the lips for like five seconds.
Speaker 1: I have from the clips I saw, I have not seen anything like that, but who knows. I mean, I couldn't bring myself to sit through an entire roast in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Well, if I spent more time thinking about Rome, there'd probably be a bread and circus point to make about these two distractions that we have to basically watching what, like you said, like a school lunch room fight. It happened in between Kendrick and Drake and everybody making fun of the big man on campus, Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I I don't think about Rome enough to make that point. So take a quick break and we'll come back and hit some other news stories. We'll be right back, and we're back, We're and let's see. Christy Nome's book has some more issues. So this last weekend, a Republican fundraiser she was scheduled to appear at was canceled due to numerous threats and or death threats.
Speaker 1: We think that's in response to the dog thing.
Speaker 2: But during an interview with Hannity, Noom tried to blame the backlash on the fake news media who put the worst spin on her story about gunning down a literal puppy. Yeah, I think her quote, Well, Sean, you know how the fake news works. They leave out some or most of the facts of a story, they put the worst spin on it. And that's what happened in this case. You literally described being like I had to fucking murk this puppy. I took them to the gravel pit, and then I shot a goat too. Yeah, Like, where was the spin on that? Yeah, sealed the deal with some goat's blood.
Speaker 1: It's your own, your own book.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But amazingly, that's not the only controversy to come out of this book that still hasn't been published. The book features a passage in which she describes meeting Kim Jong un, which experts were like, wait, what, how, No, when did you meet Kim Jong un?
Speaker 1: I did, and I was like, you better knock it off, buddy, I don't care. I'm Christinom, I'm a junior congress person and I'm meeting you. Somehow.
Speaker 2: People were like, no, no, like Kim Jong um met with like the president, and that was a massive story, like when would she have met with him? And so a Notre Dame University expert on North Korea was asked to comment, and he said, I don't see any conceivable way that a single junior member of Congress without explicit escort from the US Gate Department and military would be meeting with a leader from North kore Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is so fucking stupid. I again, I just I like all of she she kind of I feel like she. I don't know how she explained it recently, she may have doubled down, but anyway, I like how in the book, right, she claims that Kim Jong u probably quote underestimated her because he had quote no clue about her quote experience staring down little tyrants because you know, I quote that's a parenthetical. I'd been a children's pastor after all. Cool. I love how that's so tidy, Like you're you're you're you're like sunning Kim jong un. You're like a tough talker. And also let him know I also killed her. Yeah, kids are assholes, but I also teach him about the love of Christ. So you know, conservatives, embrace me, Embrace me. When the fuck do you get off thinking you can just fire that kind of shit off in a biography when you're seriously thinking you're gonna be the vice or do you think you could be the vice president? Yeah, it's pretty wild.
Speaker 2: I do love that she's a youth pastor presumably has turned a baseball cap around backwards before addressing kids about you know, the value of being tough with disobedient dogs and presumably children. You know, right, I can't imagine she's more forgiving of children who fuck up and aren't useful in her hunting parties. R A spokesperson for Nicki Haley also denied like that there's a conversation described where like Nikki Haley's scared of her being like the new face of the Republican Party and so as a result of this reporting, a spokesperson for NOME said the book will be edited to change the two quote small errors like as if it was like misplaced commas, not just making up stuff that never happened and hoping that it wouldn't be caught type of deal.
Speaker 1: Rhal. Yes, so they're just small errors. Okay, so you holds like, again, I don't know, this is like if we lived in a sane world, this would be absolutely disqualifying from even being like in politics. But again it's all based on like self mythologizing, and she just flew a little too close to the fucking Kim Jong's sun on this one by saying like, yeah, I fucking I stared this motherfucker down like it was a heavyweight fucking title bout weigh in. Yeah, like you can't make That's what Like, It's so it's so upsetting to me. I'm like, you think people are this fucking dumb? Yeah, spoilerttle Earth. They are, but they do. Fuck yeah, come on now, I might as well believe that Drake planted all that misinformation about his eleven year old daughter when there seems to be articles about it that align with the eleven year old part. But anyway, yeah, anyways.
Speaker 2: She's also suggesting that Biden's dog should be killed because I guess there're twenty four Secret Service people who've been bitten by the dog at this point, so she's trying to like get on the right side of dog killing. She's like the tripling down Jesus the Over the weekend the box office, The Fall Guy, Ryan Gosling's new movie debuted at number one with twenty eight point five million, which was under what people are expecting thirty thirty five And like this is the weekend where they would usually like drop a Marvel Studios movie, like the the end of The Galaxy, Volume three last year came out and hit one hundred and eighteen million. The year before that, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness opened with one hundred and eighty seven million.
Speaker 1: But the well is dry on that point. They fucked that one up. The milk's gone bad, folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just really by making more and shittier like Marvel movies or like think about the Jurassic Park franch Like people were so ready for that first one, the Jurassic World, and but it was just they just delivered more and worse movies like the it's this new model where like they get young promising filmmakers, but like filmmakers who can't say no to studios or like push back against studios, and so it's really just like movies made in the vision of like the marketing department, right, and it's it worked for a while, but eventually you just get these like diminishing returns.
Speaker 1: And now they're kind of they're.
Speaker 2: At a place where they're like, all right, what was the last blockbuster Barbie?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Okay, so Ryan Gosling movies, right, gonbre like big yeah, big hit.
Speaker 1: Well because no one you know, it's the lack of creative courage in studios at the moment, it is just it's glaring, and to me, I feel like, as a strategy, you know, why put all of your money into these huge tent pole swings that are like hundreds of millions, like huge budget films when you could make, you know, turn turn that money into a bunch of smaller bets and empower other creators and tell new stories. Because watch, like there's always a movie that comes out and the shooters like, holy shit, that did well that one story. That's unlike all the other bullshit we've been pushing on people, right right, like just dabbling that rather than always fucking being like, what's our fucking big Golden Goose movie?
Speaker 2: What do we do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right, a u N official is calling out Israel for denying AID access, So might as well get to the thing that uh, we're distracting ourselves from with all the bread.
Speaker 1: Nesher Potentially, I mean, as of this the time of this recording, it's there could be an incursion into Rafa, yeah, because it sounds like Israel has ordered gosins to evacuate part of Rafa for a quote limited operation. Right, So yeah, like with all the that's like, that's what's so wild, Like in the era we live in, Like even with all the other distractions and things that seem like frivil like, there are frivolous the most terrible shit is still going on. And yeah, I don't know. It takes up a lot of our attention, as it should because it shouldn't be fucking happening. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The head of the u n RWA has accused Israel of continuing to deny the un AID access in Gaza as it tries to avert famine. He said that in the past two weeks alone, there have been ten incidents involving shooting at convoys or rest of un staff, including bullying, stripping them, naked threats with arms, and long delays at checkpoints forcing convoys to move during the dark or abart. And yeah, this is all happening as the Israeli Defense Minister is threatening an attack on Rafa, which would have absolutely devastating consequences for eight operations, put hundreds of thousands of lives at risk. Thousands of people have already begun to the city. And is the place that they said, hey, go to safety in Ratha. Yes, this is the place where people were able to go to when they were destroying the rest of Gaza, and now they're going to attack that place, and they're sending them to so called humanitarian zone of al mowassee, where the crisis will obviously be exacerbated and where aid is desperately needed for you know, civilians, children who are don't have any way to get food to survive, and as mentioned, the UNRWA is saying that Israeli forces are not letting them get that aid in Yeah, this is all.
Speaker 1: Too while, Like there's still really fucking bad coverage of the student protests, and like the always sort of like linking these student protests to some kind of thing about like an anti semitism that has happened at the protests. And I had an interesting exchange with a listener who's Palestinian and pointed out how like this is this is definitely like a sort of reflexive habit that I've developed over talking about this issue is to sort of have this preamble about like and it's not anti semitism to be you know, protesting the acts of like the government, this has nothing to do with the religion, but realizing that even doing that is just creating an association of anti Semitism with whatever is pro Palestinian, which I think is really it's terrible, and it's I think it's like a very it's a rhetorical thing that's happened that I realize now that's exactly what happened in twenty twenty with the defund movement, that the defund the police thing became. There was such a repetition of like, so you just don't want police to exist, so police just shouldn't exist, and then there's there's just gonna be free crime everywhere. It's like, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the fact that we are we are underfunding the kind of programs that help stabilize communities. Just like when people say they're here to advocate for the freedom of Palestinian people, it's not to say it's because I have some kind of anti Semitic worldview. It's because we're talking about a group of people that are being oppressed and our munitions. Because I also found out that those seven aid workers that were killed that were like international aid workers according to the Guardian, that was with American munitions, and that this situation is so much bigger than just getting stuck on this narrow thing about well what about these people what they're saying, these outliers to a protest, because the main thrust of this is that we need a ceasefire and we need lasting peace, and we need to actually sort this out, and the United States needs to use its leverage to bring about this change. So yeah, it's just like, you know, I think Columbia is now canceling their graduation also at least like a school wide graduation, And you know, I was reading an interesting point. I mean, like these kid's, like a lot of these kids are the kids who didn't have graduations in twenty twenty, right and are now college Yeah, yeah because of COVID and are now because of the like the like these solidarity encampments. They're being punished now by not even having graduations. Again. It's just a very yeah, it's like the fucking Politico it just did a thing of They're like, look, oh, look who's funding all these like campus and like protests. It's not. And they're like pointing the finger at these like democratic donors like the Rockefeller Foundation or like George like like Soros Foundation kind of thing and being like Oh, that's kind of weird. And then I'm like, if you just took a second in your reporting to talk about how this well, this conflict and the United States hand in a bet aiding and abetting it is wildly unpopular with Democrats, right, that shouldn't come. And again you want to talk about like the funding from these groups and like there's grants and subgrants and things like that. A lot of people who were speaking on behalf of these things are like, yeah, this is sort of the non part is in nature of getting into these like in this kind of grant work. Sometimes these things are in an alignment with a political party or an administration, and sometimes they conflict in this instance. But again, I don't think it's that it shouldn't be that much of a surprise when the overarching sentiment, even among Democrats is that this needs.
Speaker 2: To stop, right all right, well, keeping with our shows trademark hurdling change of pace, But something that's happening in New York City, not far from the Columbia protests, the met Gala is going to happen tonight, and the whole thing was nearly upended by a strike that was narrowly avoided by a tentative deal those reached Sunday night, but on a win tour who oversees the event is apologizing for the confused theme. Not anything to do with like labor practices or anything.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I think if anything, she's pissed that those the workers knew that they had a they had leverage. Yeah, to be exactly, who do you think posts all the fucking memes in red carpet coverage that goes on the internet, These people who are yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: The name of the event is Sleeping Beauties, but the official dress code is Garden of Time, which those kind of seem unrelated. But it's just something Winter basically said one day without much thought and seems to have caused a lot of confusion. I personally am hoping that someone wears like a Scrooge style sleeping cap, like one of those like long sleeping bonnets, with like a long sleeping gown and is just like holding a candle and that's their interpretation of Sleeping Beauties, because that is my favorite iconic sleeping look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I try and mimic every night. Yeah, when you put that luscious blonde wig on, that's right, that's right. I'm a sleeping beauty, now leave me alone. I like how this is really just born out of the fact that Annah Wintor has so much fucking power, and no one questions her that she said conflicting things and they're like, yeah, just go with it. Sleeping Beauty is a Garden of Time.
Speaker 2: But she also did, like a drive by on a random employee, like to just be like, yeah, actually it was this guy's idea, so and I fear that it's stupid as hell, so I apologize. Her quote is the exhibition broke my cardinal rule when we came up with the title sleeping Beauties. It's wonderful and poetic and romantic, but actually it could mean many things. And then so she shared that she went to the Metropolitan Museum of Arts Costume Institute curator Andrew Bolton for dress code advice. I said, what are we going to say to people to wear to this night? And he said, well, what about Garden of Time? So I fear that we've unleashed a lot of confusion out there, and for which I deeply apologize. Okay, but she was basically like, it was this fucking guy's idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fucking calling out names. You know, Andrew Bolton's whoa whoa whoa easy easy damn man. Yeah, well good, I I remember when this kind of mattered. But yeah, given given what's happening, it's like, yeah, go ahead, get up in your fancy fucking dress, party and high five each other. Have a good time.
Speaker 2: She admits that in reality, Garden of Time will probably just end up being people wearing quote a lot of flowers like that is just preactively like shitting on this probably fifty of the outfit based on the theme that she put out right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, well, uh, shout out to all unionizing workers everywhere. May you may fair contracts find their way to you. Yeah, as quickly as possible. But yeah, damn that fucking shows you man, a strike, that's yeah, that got him realizing shit real quick. It's just because there were the remaining issues from that fair contract was minimum salaries, healthcare coverage for trans staffers, and layoffs. Yeah, and then they figured it out the last second, at least a provisional agreement.
Speaker 2: So yeah, credit did not want to strike right before the Macyala it turned out all right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday morning, Maysick. We are back tomorrow with a whole aast episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye,