Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Speaker 2: Sold ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Where he's gonna score touchdown.
Speaker 5: Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker like a torpedo. He came flying into the back bield.
Speaker 3: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm sand by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Hazycardinals dot Com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 1: Red Scenes, Rising Up.
Speaker 5: Temperaturizing vision, Flurry Rage, take you over.
Speaker 4: Here's Paul Calvis. I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you a'mready, and Ron will sleep.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 3: Leash.
Speaker 1: The Fjord.
Speaker 4: Was the night before the twenty twenty three NFL draft. And once again there is one known, just one absolute. None of us is allowed anywhere near much less in the war room. Hashtag access denied.
Speaker 1: Where's Todd Hayley?
Speaker 4: So what we do is we form our own war room. It's an annual tradition here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. We are santan Ford. We are the collective voice of the Arizona Cardinals, the voices you just heard in the open the highlights right there. Join us in studio, Dave, Pash, Ron wolf Ley a little bit later, Cam Thomas, Cam, we'll join us here on the big Red Rage. And there's just one opinion, just one rule. That is all right. All opinions are your own, own, your opinion. And I got to give you guys props and give you your flowers. Over the years, you guys have been pretty darn accurate with some of your draft predictions, especially in round one. Over the years when it comes to your Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 5: All I know, Paul is if I had a pick, I'm taking Wolf because look at this guy. I didn't even recognize him when he came in. And how much weight this guy has lost. His shirt doesn't fit, his pants are falling off. You need a new belt, by the way, right, thank you? What are you weighing these days?
Speaker 4: Winning the off season?
Speaker 6: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Look at Polly, you know the cheeks were a little full. I think you guys understand that. And the doc looked at me and said, oh, by the way, Moon River, you've got to go ahead and actually lose fifteen pounds. That's what he told me, and that's exactly what I did. The cheeks are lost twenty five as a matter of okay, well, you know what, I had to get in shape, very very much like a lot of the prospects that are out there wanting to actually impress this draft.
Speaker 5: But I am noticing that the skin where the cheeks were puffy, that the skin is kind of droopy.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Well, we need to get you into one of those people that like a stretch your stretch your skin.
Speaker 4: Now that we're no, now that we're getting highly personal, I think we are ready to talk. I mean, now that we have that and the fact that quarterbacks of their pro days are hitting the ceiling of the practice facilities, you know, I think that tells us we're ready for the NFL drafts. So woll if the weight you lost, Cam Thomas might have gained ooh really. We're gonna ask him that question a little bit later on this edition of The Big Red Rage. But first, the question of Jonathan Gannon today voluntary veteran mini camp out there the Cardinals first look this week at the new head coach, the new coaching staff, a lot of new names. In fact, Kaiser White said he's still struggling a bit to learn all the new names and faces that he just calls everyone my guy. That's what Kaiser White said. Here's Jonathan Gannon on Xavin Collins because we couldn't help. But notice coach that Zavian today was working with the outside linebackers.
Speaker 7: We had him there, I think these last two days and he's he's doing a good job. What I love about Zavon is that's the type of makeup that you want in your players. Is I'm willing to do anything that you want me to do to help the team. And when you have a bunch of guys like that on your team, you have a good chance to win.
Speaker 4: Ron wofu of your thoughts on that. We know he checks in at six four, two sixty. He has the size to play outside, yo. Does he have the capability you think, Paully, that.
Speaker 1: Is a great question. I have no idea, but did they certainly think he might be a candidate to play the edge obviously, or they're not going to do this right? You're not going to do this. You're not going to start moving a guy around unless you believe number one, mentally he could actually handle it, and number two he could do it physically. Of course, now I think we all understand that Zavian Collins is a big unit. There's no doubt about it. He could play the edge physically, he could set the edge. But man rushing the passer coming up the field and playing mike linebacker really two different skill sets. I don't know, but I do know this. If JG is putting him there, they think he can do it well.
Speaker 4: Upon a time, Micah Parsons was drafted as an inside linebacker. Look at him now, arguably the best defensive player in the NFL, and he plays all over the front seven. You think maybe the Cardinals have something similar in mind.
Speaker 5: Well, a lot of people thought when Micah Parsons came out, they weren't sure if mentally he would be able to handle everything that you need to be able to handle at that position. And that's why they moved him to where they did and said just go get after the quarterback, kind of what Philadelphia did with Hasan Reddick. The Cardinals obviously tried to play Hassan Reddick inside and you know Zaven and talking to Zeven last year a couple of times it seemed like he was growing over the course of the year and getting better at handling all the calls. So it's early, it's April. The fact that in a couple of practices he's playing on the outside, I don't think is a big deal. The only concern for me would be, what does that tell you they don't think that he is a middle linebacker if you're using him outside right now. Is that because they think he can be Micah Parsons or because you know, we're not sure that he can be our Mike linebacker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if there's any doubt right there, it's typically not a good way to go for the most part, and it's very difficult to figure that out if you're not in pads as well.
Speaker 4: Or is it just a sheer necessity just getting numbers and bodies at outside linebacker off the edge? It's an unknown. It's sort of like the DeAndre Hopkins. We don't know what his future is exactly in a totally different way, whether it's gonna be with the Cardinals or not. Here's the d hop update desk. Pac Man Jones good friend of DeAndre Hopkins. He's been tuned into the whole process and he's been on the Pat McAfee show. Here he is earlier today with an update my sources.
Speaker 8: Okay, just hit me and said Bills and KC source says.
Speaker 1: That some might have tomorrow. Well some definitely gonna have to marrow tonight or tomorrow.
Speaker 4: All right, time on the NFL draft in DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 1: First of all, Bally, we need to talk about the two teams that he mentioned right there. Did ja Kansas City Chiefs, Yes he did. And did he mention the Buffalo Bills, Yes he did. Oh by the way, it's West Virginia. It's West Virginia. Okay, pac Man, don't make me get fired up and sing the the fight song. But having said this, now, those two teams make perfect sense. You better believe it. And why would both of those two teams want DeAndre Hopkins Because he fits into their eleven personnel package like a glove perfectly. And those two teams figure to fight it out in the AFC for another chance at winning a Super Bowl. This is this is the best case scenario if in fact, those two teams are interested.
Speaker 4: What's he worth? What's he gonna fetch? And I know there's been a lot of well and I think a lot of this comes from those two teams trying to drive down the price of a DeAndre Hopkins. I'll just say this. The Steelers are picking number thirty two overall in this draft, top round two. Do you know why? Because they got a round two pick from Chicago about a year ago for Chase Claypool. So what's DeAndre Hopkins worth? If you're thinking you have a legitimate shot at a Lombardi Trophy and you're a receiver away from completing your offense for Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes and d hop is plug in play unlike any receiver in the draft or anyone left in free agency, older.
Speaker 5: Guys that make a lot of money. Maybe it's harder to get more for them. We're Chase Claypool a little bit easier maybe to acquire. I'm not sure where Buffalo and Kansas City are from a cap standpoint and what they're willing to pay for DeAndre Hopkins, but I think it's clear DeAndre Hopkins will not be here right It's trending that way. I'd be shocked at this point if d Hop is a cardinal this fall.
Speaker 4: Would you be shocked if Bryce Young doesn't go number one overall? Yes, very shocked, because Carolinas said, in the last twenty four hours they have reached a quote consensus as to their number one pick. They're not telling who it is, but come on, it's got to be Bryce Young, right.
Speaker 5: So yeah, look, I start and I'm not saying that my sources know everything, but I do work for ESPN, and so I talked to a lot of people that are working the draft and they felt, this is three weeks ago that Bryce Young was going first, that somebody had either Bryce or his agent had been told you're going number one. And look, he's the best quarterback. He is the most NFL Ready, My two favorite guys that we met with this year in person were Bryce Young and Will Anderson. Those are my two favorite people. You walked away from meeting with those both those guys like, man, this is who you want as the cornerstone of your franchise. And then I went and watched Bryce Young in person light up the sugar Bowl. This guy is as accurate and as smart and when Bill O'Brien. He sat and told us this, and we told the story in the air that Bill O'Brien has to have of cutups ready for his Tuesday meeting with Bryce Young because Bryce will already have watched all the film and Bryce will have his own Wow. So it's like an he's already an NFL quarterback. When you play for Nick saban To, you almost have Tom Bill O'Brien, You almost you almost have.
Speaker 4: To do you hear the quote from Steve Sarkisian, the now Texas head coach former Alabama offensive coordinator. He called Bryce unquote Steph Curry on grass.
Speaker 5: I love it. I think it's that's really good.
Speaker 4: So Wolf, this draft really starts in number two with Houston. Here's Ian Rapaport on what the Texans might do.
Speaker 8: As far as number two goes. I would be surprised if the Texans don't take a quarterback. I will stick with quarterback until it has proven otherwise. That said, like, this is one of the draft's great mysteries. But if they don't take a quarterback, then I think three gets auctioned off at an astronomical price. I do think that will have massive, massive, dramatic effect seeh.
Speaker 1: I totally agree with that, I really do. I agree with that, and I still think number three, ultimately, when it's all sudden done, is going to bring a pretty penny for Manti ausin fort in the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Everything I'm hearing is CJ. Stroud is not going to Houston at number two. So if that's true, we'll find out if it's true tomorrow night. If it's true, do they take a quarterback of number two? Do they take Will Anderson or Tyree Wilson some have said at number two? Or do they trade out? And if they trade out, does that team take Stroud or do they take Levis or Anthony Richardson. So, yes, the draft definitely starts at two. I'd be surprised that the Cardinals trade out of three until after that selection is made. I think right right about that, you're gonna have You're gonna have multiple calls and multiple options, but you're not going to pull the trigger on a deal into you know for sure who's going at to There's.
Speaker 4: A reason JG told the media last week in the pre draft presser, and I quote, I can't wait to see many work the phone's Thursday night because I think he knows that they are going to hang on until pick number three to see what sort of phone call that they're not gonna deal with pain until they're on the clock, to see who's on the board, and especially if there's a quarterback like c. J. Stroud or maybe just the upside in the ceiling of an Anthony Richardson, someone someone is gonna go for the measurables, and Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 1: It only takes one. Never forget that it only takes one guy saying I can't believe other people don't see this. We're gonna move up and we're gonna Yeah, it's called Trey Lance and the Trey Lance syn girl and the other thing.
Speaker 5: Now, guys, as we know, it does not hold your franchise hostage anymore to take a quarterback realy, because you can move on a couple of years down the road, or find a guy like Brock Purdy in the seventh round and make a guy like Trey Lance disposable.
Speaker 4: The Latest reporter Shane Steich the Eagles right now, the indie head coach considers Anthony Richardson a quote super charged. Jalen Hurtz, Bigguret Range back with cam Thomas and Moore right after this.
Speaker 5: Everybody talks about lands talent, but it's about the effort that he gives turns into a supernovae.
Speaker 4: Christian Salas, this is a bigger, longer corner. We'll get too much.
Speaker 6: Why they are continuing to test him, it's beyond me.
Speaker 4: Wow, Well Anderson doing David Person.
Speaker 5: Got down right side of It's picked off again.
Speaker 4: It's Christian Gunsalis.
Speaker 3: Take him down.
Speaker 5: Well Anderson Junior flunning away, Krishana the great year.
Speaker 1: That is intersecond.
Speaker 4: This is Well Anderson Junior touch down. Do the Cardinals need edge players? Do they need defensive tackle? Do they need offensive line? Do they need a corner? Do they arguably need another receiver, maybe even a running back. These are all positions that have been associated with the Cardinals in mock drafts. A lot of those positions in Round one. So it's tough to know, tough to tell exactly where the Cardinals might go Tomorrow night, twenty twenty three NFL Draft, Although Manty austin Ford said to the media, and I'm quoting now, we know where we want to go. We want to reserve the time on the clock for in case there's a call with an offer. It's the Big Red Rage. Paul CALVC, Dave pash Ron Woefully our special and annual draft edition, Cam Thomas coming up. But Dave, what's your expectation will the Cardinals, I mean, deal or no deal? What do you think is going to happen?
Speaker 5: First of all, we don't know who they have outside of the quarterbacks at the top of their board. If they have Will Anderson at the top of their board, and they feel like if Will Anderson is there at three and we need to take him because he's somebody that changes our organization, and then I think you make that move. But my guess is that they're going to look to get assets because you don't rebuild in the NFL when you have a quarterback Kyler Murray's been to the Pro Bowl and Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 1: It's a reset.
Speaker 5: We know that based on everything that's happened here with the players that they haven't brought back with players that might be traded. And I think that's how they're approaching the draft. It's the next two years. You've got to build through this draft. So that tells me you trade down, and then it comes down to who's there is Devin Witherspoon from Illinois. There is Tyree Wilson still there is Will Anderson still there? What about an offensive lineman? It just depends on where they trade down to and what they can get in return. You look at what Miami got. Okay, here's what Miami got for Trey Lance. They got the number twelve pick, They got a first and third rounder, and then they get another first yep, So can you get that? Can you get that kind of a haul or can you get a bigger haul depending on who that person is.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're talking about the hall, of course you wait till draft day for that hall right now, especially because the fulkrim of the first round has shifted to the Houston Texans and number two it's up for sale. They put that up. They let everyone know that this pick is for sale. That's put him in the cat bird seat. I'll believe it when I see it. I'll believe it when I see the Texans not draft one of those quarterbacks, one of those quarterbacks that are definitely going to be there, I'll believe it when I see it. But having said that, I think the Arizona Cardinals once again are going to sit there and wait and see what happens at that number two pick, And that means you're going to wait to pull the trigger on any deal that might be out there until Draft day. That's what I think, because it's the ultimate pressure point as we all know, the NFL draft in the offseason, especially when the draft is actually rolling.
Speaker 4: For example, Anthony Richardson did top thirty visits with the Raiders, with Indianapolis, with Tennessee, with Atlanta, Baltimore. I mean possible any all those teams could make an offer on draft day for number three. Overall, what do you do if you don't have that guy at Q. You got to take a swing. You got to take a shot. So I think the desperation will be there for someone now if the Cardinals stay at number three, and Wolf I know we tend to agree. But if they stay at number three, here's the other thing I know is that this draft will not be like the last fifteen drafts for the Arizona Cardinals, where in the first and second round and the last fifteen drafts, if you go back and you check the archives, two only two offensive linemen and two defensive linemen have taken in the first and second round to each of the last fifteen drafts. I think that changes. I think the Cardinals start building from the inside out.
Speaker 5: And it's interesting you say that because you think of two guys in particular. Robert kim Decchi was a player that you took a flyer on because you thought, this guy's so talented, we can't pass up on. There's one of your defensive linemen. The other one was Dan Williams, by the way and offensive line Dan the Can. And the other one was DJ Humphries, who again you were kind of taking hoping he would become that guy because he had come out early. A lot of people thought, you know, maybe he should have gone back to Florida for one more year. Wasn't really ready yet, and we saw that he wasn't ready. He was immature. Now he's, you know, one of the best offensive lineman on the team, if not your best offensive lineman. I agree, I think you've got to be and I think this group views it this way too. This is my assumption that you need an offensive line to protect your greatest asset, which is Kyler Murray, and clearly to win in the NFL. And you saw with Philly with Jonathan Gannon, you got to get after the quarterback. So I kind of hope, even though I love him, I hope Will Anderson goes too to Houston because it opens up a world of possibilities.
Speaker 1: Yes, it does, now, I know, even though I love him as well. Will Anderson is the one guy I loved more than any other player in this draft. But man of Houston, if they sit there and they go, no, we're not going to take these quarterbacks that are out there. We're gonna take Will Anderson. That's what we're gonna do. Now, all of a sudden, the Folkram immediately shifts to pick number three. The Arizona Cardinals could get a boat load, and that's exactly what they need. In my opinion, I do believe you're rebuilding when you've got a new general manager, you got a new coaching staff, you got a new head coach. You're rebuilding. It's not a total rebuilding because you've got a franchise quarterback. You can call it anything you want to call it, but to me, right now, they've got to do it from the inside out. Rebuild it on the line of scrimmage certainly, and when it's when you're talking about protecting your quarterback. That's what you've got to do first. That's why I believe the Paris Johnson. I believe that scenario right there, and if it happens, I'll stand in a blood.
Speaker 4: Well, here's Ian Rappaport NFL Network on the potential of the Ohio State left tackle going to the Cardinals.
Speaker 9: The Paris Johnson thought is certainly one that has been gaining steam around the league. Of the Ohio State tackle probably the safest, and leould say the consensus number one tackle for most of the people we speak would not be that surprising a pick considering, you know, making sure that Kyler Murray is in a good spot in the future is paramount this organization. It is only something he would like. But for the Arizona Cardinals, yes they would like to trade out, but of course that all begins with what actually happens right before they go.
Speaker 4: All right, now, look full disclosure. Charles Davis dropped his final mock draft. He has Paris Johnson going number three to the Cardinals. That seems to be the latest buzzz. Paris Johnson to the Cardinals. My question, can you trade down to seven with the Raiders and still get the six foot six, three hundred and thirteen pounder. He was second team All American. I get it. And by the way, his sophomore year two years ago, he started all thirteen games at right guard, so he could become an interior old lineman for his first couple of years.
Speaker 5: Yes, and look, the offensive linemen that come out of Ohio State have a pretty good track record in the NFL. Iowa, Ohio State, a lot of the Big ten, Michigan, Penn State, a lot of those schools have Wisconsin pretty pretty good track record because of how they play Sec.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 5: I man, unless you think, man, if we don't Paris Johnson, we've got him as our best non quarterback or highest rated non quarterback. I'm not saying they do, but if they do, you better be convinced that, yeah, don't take him there. He's gonna be gone at four right Otherwise you move down, you move down to four or five or six or seven because you need assets.
Speaker 1: This is just me, guys, I honestly believe that is gonna be the scenario right there, That is gonna be the scenario. It's gonna present itself. Somebody's gonna look at that number three they're gonna look at that number three and there's gonna be somebody there. And it only takes one team. Once again, it's not like it takes two. You know, it takes one team to actually say, man, we love that guy. That guy right there's gonna be the next Tom Brady, or that guy right there is gonna be you know, whatever it may be. You gotta have one team that wants to move up. And I think the Arizona Cardinals are going to get that opportunity sitting there at number three right now, with some of the quarterbacks that are on the board and will be on the board. It takes one team to fall in love with a Will loves, one team to fall in love with Anthony Richardson. And if that is the case Manti Austin for the Cardinals, they're going to be training out of that spot.
Speaker 4: Dave, you remember what Michael Bidwill told you on the pash pot. He said a couple of things. Said one, we have to take pressure off Kyler Murray both in terms of all the decision making that was tasked upon him. We're going to put him under center more. That was his prediction. Schematic build the offensive line to literally take the pressure off from edge rushers. And then he said, our system, our grading system is about to become quote the former system of best player available, where they're going to look for the best cardinal fit within that system. So that's interesting. There a lot of people have the Cardinals going corner at some point early in this draft. Is there a corner you particularly like in this draft?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I love Devin Witherspoon from Illinois did one of their games this year. The guy reminds me of Buddha in the sense of like he plays with his hair on fire and he wants to kill people. Ok, but he's faster, he's bigger, and he's a different position. But I you know, hell we Christian Gonzales from Oregon, I understand why people are falling in love with the measures six two, two hundred and four three eight forty. Devin Witherspoon, I think is about the same. You know, another guy depending on how far you drop if you trade down. But you know, Joey Porter Junior for a long time was considered a top five pick in the first corner off the board. Then Illinois had this great year was really unexpected. Witherspoon skyrocketed I'm hesitant with corners from the Pac twelve all of times.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just why do you say that, David.
Speaker 5: Just because again, who you're I don't know who you're playing against a lot of times. I mean, I get Jordan. You know, there's Jordan Adison. But for every Jordan Addison, like.
Speaker 4: Most players in the SEC. Yes, but yes, I.
Speaker 5: Think And so people might say, well, then why take a corner from the Big Ten because you know, again, I think track record. Look at a lot of receivers the last few years coming out of the Big Ten that have done well in the NFL, particular from Ohio State.
Speaker 4: Well, think about when the college season ended till now, nobody would have put Tyree Wilson ahead of Will Anderson, but they are now. Bucky Brooks his latest mock draft because these six six two seventy five, I had someone tell me Tyree Wilson visit the Cardinals are like, look at that dude, and that always moves the meter.
Speaker 5: And people might say, well, wait, take a defensive lineman from the Big twelve and from Texas Tech.
Speaker 4: He was at A and M.
Speaker 5: Before that, so technically he does have an SEC background.
Speaker 1: And by the way, who's using Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 4: So Dave says, Wolf has been winning the offseason. Cam Thomas has been winning the offseason. Even followed the San Diego State team to the Final four. How about that the Cardinals defender is next and the big red rage brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 5: Snapped the Smith drops back to throw, pressure in his space, he's in trouble and he goes down. He sacked back at the twenty one yard line. Cam Thomas, the rookie, is there for the Cardinals to make the play. First career sack for Cam Thomas. Herbert back to throw on third down in trouble, steps up. Sacked again at the forty four yard line. This time it's Cam Thomas steps up in the pocket, gets hit, arm is hit, ball flutters picked off by Simmons at the forty yard line and tackled at the thirty seven. Cam Thomas swiped at the throwing arm of mac Jones. The ball fluttered into the air, picked off by Simmons.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Isaiah ever bought you lunch for that. That was Week fourteen. Mac Jones. He hit the throwing arm and boom that balls up in the air and down comes Isaiah Simmons with the pick. It's been about a year or so since your first appearance on The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert a year ago or so. So we called you Cameron Thomas, but it feels too formal. Now, Can we just go with Cam?
Speaker 1: Is that cool?
Speaker 6: That's totally fine with me.
Speaker 4: How about the beard? By the way, you look about five years older with the beard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, as actually the first time I was trying it out. I'll take that as a compliment. And uh, yeah, it's good.
Speaker 4: It's good that you also look like you put on some some muscle, you put on some weight as well. I mean, they got you listed at six four two sixty seven. Are they gonna have to adjust that Cam?
Speaker 6: Uh, yeah, they just have to adjust it a little bit. Said about two seventy right now. Last year I played closer to two fifty five to sixty, you know, coming in here last year. Uh, when I got drafted, I truly believe that was gonna be in a four to three scheme. And with that, you know, those ends played just a little bit heavier than a traditional outside linebacker. And when I came in. I was sitting around two seventy two. You know, they asked me last year to drop a couple of pounds and I went hand did that, and like I said, sat around in two fifty five. We also did like a body scan thing, not show with all the science behind that. All I know is they told me, you know your frame, you can really sit around three hundred if you wanted to. So maybe I pack on a few pounds. And that's exactly what I did this year. Put my head down, went to work, and the natural the muscle came kind of as naturally. So I feel just as fast as I at two fifty five at two seventy, and I'm really excited about this upcoming season.
Speaker 4: So are you going to be an outside linebacker for how long? What is your future position wise?
Speaker 6: I'm really happy outside linebacker. Obviously, I'll be happy anywhere they play me, but you know, I'm really enjoying playing outside linebacker, and yeah, that's where I hope for now.
Speaker 4: So your position coach is Rob Rodriguez, that's right from ASU and so part of an all new staff. So give us the first impression, because this week has been the first voluntary veteran mini camp. Right, you've been out on the field, you just get out of the weight room. Just give everyone a first impression of what JG and this coaching staff is all about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what I got to say. I absolutely love the energy the new staff has brought, and it's all the way across this board. You know, there's no weak link anywhere. I think the new coaching staff coming in. I bring the energy every day and I really like how they're simplifying everything. They're trying to put it in the most simple form for us to understand, so we become masters at this stuff as soon as we can. So, you know, first impressions, that's what I would say. And you know we're still in the in the phase and we're kind of feeling the coaches out. The coaches still kind of feeling us out. Uh So you know, there's there's definitely a little bit of learning every day amongst everybody. I guess i'd say in the building and uh yeah.
Speaker 4: Cam Thomas, our guest in the Big Red Rage presentedbody, Sam tan Ford and Gilbert. Have you had that one on one conversation with JG and or your defensive coordinator Rick Nick Rowlis. I mean, and if so, what can you share with us about that?
Speaker 6: Oh? Yeah, you know, not too long after they got it was official that they were joining the staff. You know, they both both reached out to me on the phone and just expressed, you know what, what their intentions are go this season with me and with the team. We Something that they express a lot is it's a team first, and then you and I really really enjoy that. You can just kind of feel the sense and the building of everybody kind of coming together.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I feel like there's there's been, especially with this mini campus, a lot of bonding that's been going on. So uh yeah, I'm I think it's it's moving on for a really good direction for this program.
Speaker 4: What do you think you learned the most last year? From beginning to end of your rookie season? What were your biggest takeaways or maybe you're just the biggest aeries in which you grew.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, that's a really good question, and you know, one I really haven't sat down and thought too much myself, but I would say to be a pro, you really have to sit down and evaluate yourself every single day. You know, at the end of the day, it is really you becoming the best person you could possibly be. The coaches jobs is to serve the players, and the player's job is to maximize themselves. And that's what I guess I would say I learned the most last year was maxium mixing myself and taking everything I could from the coaches and the players themselves, you know, just being an absolute sponge anything I could take in become a better player. You know, I'm gonna have the same mindset this year going in the year two. I believe that's the biggest jump that players making this league. And with that being said, I want to just take everything I can in and use it the best of my abilities.
Speaker 4: And sometimes it's not just the coaches. Remember hard knocks right in NFL films they captured behind the scenes. In fact, we have the clip you and JJ Watt one on one in one of the meeting rooms.
Speaker 2: The number one thing you got to remember is that you also have strengths. Never talk yourself out of being successful. So like you have a great bull rush and you have a great longmount, just because this guy is good against it, doesn't mean you can't win with it.
Speaker 1: On year twelve, I'm still learning.
Speaker 4: What was it like to spend the whole year with JJ Watt number ninety nine, the all time great.
Speaker 6: I was fantastic. You know that you can only learn so much from a coach standpoint, because you know, they're the ones on the side end of the ones looking at the film, so they have kind of more of that knowledge. But when you talk to the players, the guys that are right there next to you, the guys that are out there getting the feel, you know, that's something that's a little bit different. And luckily we had a ton of guys last year that had a lot of experience, you know, JJ, and and and Marcus Golden and Dennis, you know, a ton of guys that I was able to kind of learn off of. And I do remember that assession with JJ. You know, I just kind of wanted to hear his side of things and kind of his story in his background, because you know something as being an athlete, you know there's no just solid trend up and you know there there's it's it's a bit of a rocky road in your career. And so be able to talk to JJ and kind of hear his side of things made me a lot more comfortable as uh, as a player, and you know something, I'm very thankful for him taking the time to teach me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for rookie comes in next month and says, all right, Cameron Thomas, I just missed JJ Watt by year. What'd you learn from from ninety nine? What will you tell them? What were you in part to maybe some of the new guys this year?
Speaker 6: Uh, you know kind of what I just said, you know, be yourself. You know that was something he kind of explained to me. You know, obviously there's the team aspect of thing, so don't go too far, don't make it about you, but you know what you can do. So in the end of the day, it's it's you're gonna be out there and you know, uh, just any edge you can get something. I remember that JJ said that I really liked. Is he already knows before he walks out through that he won. You know, he went in there, he put in the work. You know, he's worked harder than everybody else. Usually I go out there and I'll execute it. H So you know, hearing something like that, you know, and then kind of like sitting looking where I am as a player, I know I kind of have the same you know philosophy as like I know, for me to be the best player could be it is, It's going to be through work and effort. You know, obviously have some things that come natural natural to me some things that don't. So hearing that like is something that I could, uh you know, useing, you know, use some advantage.
Speaker 4: Cam Thomas on the Big Red Rage. Did you have a Welcome to the NFL moment as a rookie last year? Was there anything you learned the hard way? I don't know, like going against Trent Williams and the Niners or I mean, was.
Speaker 6: There ever that moment you're like, dang, Okay, Yeah, you know, I I think I had a couple of moments. I wouldn't necessarily narrow it down to one. Uh you know, I do remember, guys. I believe it was a Saints game. I walked out in the field, the coach threw me out there. I knew exactly what I was doing. But you know, there are veterans in this league, and veterans sometimes have the seniority over you. So I remember one time I went to go back out there at end and I don't remember exactly who it was. I believe I believe it was Edgi actually kicks me inside. He's like, yo, play the three on this rap. I'm gonna take the edge, and I kind of just, you know, shut my mouth about it. But the thing was, I was I only knew what I was doing at the edge. I wasn't comfortable enough to know I was doing at the three. So I kind of had a little bit of rough time right there. That one was not very fun in the meeting room, you know, And that's just that's just part of being a rookie, you know. And you got a Hall of Famer out there. But there was a lot of experiences. I guess another one would be Trent Williams. You know, I remember scouting him all week and just uh just watching him and how he was such a technician. So I with a technician, you got to be a technician yourself. And yeah, I just remember I really took that one as a learning curve, just to be a professional, watching him taking myself in.
Speaker 4: And yeah, we heard your first career sack right at Seattle. That was week six. We heard the sack against the Chargers. Week twelve, the interception you caused. How about the two quarterback hits against Tom Brady, What was that like for you to play against TB twelve?
Speaker 6: You know, that one meant a lot to me. So a little bit about me. My family background. My parents are both from Detroit and they grew up they're Michigan fans. My aunt was a UM alumni and everything. So to have that background and then to have family in town for Christmas from Michigan, to be at that game, it really meant a lot, you know. And just I was lucky I made the cutoff. I had one year his last year. I just made it by. And you know, when you get into the game like that, you know, I was. I remember before the game, I was like static. I'm like, this is such an opportunity. I'm gonna have the opportunity to get after the goat. But you know, once you kind of get out there, it's just kind of like, you know what am I doing? Like what's place in football? And I remember the first hit I had on him, I got up and celebrated and I'll turn around and I look and the energy wasn't there. I full blown thought I had a sack on him, Like no doubt in my mind, I had a sack on him.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know it was.
Speaker 6: It was not a sack until I got the sideline it and people told me it wasn't a sack, and I didn't even believe him.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 6: Uh, that one was a little bit of heartbreak, But yeah, I caused the quarterback hit and hurry and uh, incomplete pass. And then the second one, you know, the their starting tackle went down, the backup went in and I could just kind of tell pre snap it was. I believe it was an empty backfield set. I remember pre snap, I could see the splits from the tackle. I could tell from his his posture that it was gonna be a pass play. And with his splits, I knew I could take that inside gap and uh, I didn't even I just shot the gap. I didn't even hesitate at all. I just shot the gap, ripped my arm through and got the hit on on Tom Brady and that forced the Marko interception.
Speaker 4: Three sacks last year, And if you're not familiar with Cameron Thomas, he was the guy doing the sax celebration the surfing right from San Diego. So that's a keeper, by the way, isn't it. You're gonna go forward with that, aren't you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I'd like to express a little bit of my San Diego native background.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, what do you think about the way we're getting to the point of the summer where all the Arizona license plates are in San Diego? Come on, be honest, you know, as the guy grew up in San Diego in the six one nine, what'd you think you know back then, of all the Arizona plates invading your hometown.
Speaker 6: You know what, I will say this, the Arizona drivers they drive with a lot more intent than the California drivers do. And I actually appreciate it because some of these California drivers don't get me wrong, but they just they just go out in the road just to drive, just cruise, you know, maybe five sometimes ten under the speed liman. It's like, what's going on here? I come to Arizona. I'm like, this is this is more so speed. This is more at my speed. So it was funny seeing that that difference. And as we close it out here we hear the music real quick. Your thoughts on the uniforms thumbs up on the uniforms?
Speaker 5: You like them? Oh?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, thumbs up? You know, I think I like how simple they are. I like how clean they are just fresh that. Those are the words I was describing with.
Speaker 4: You seem confident you're gonna have an impact this year.
Speaker 6: I'm really excited about this this out coming year. Yes, sir, it's good.
Speaker 4: It's good. Gam Thomas, our guest can't wait to see what he does in year two. Like you said, so many guys make that big jump from year one to year two. And by the way, mock draft, you got any inside information mock draft, what are the Cardinals gonna do with three? I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 6: I remember last year I played the guessing game and I was like, oh, for like two hundred and was there sixty?
Speaker 4: All right, well we'll put passion. We'll back to work when we come back. They actually have a pretty good track record of predicting what the Cardinals do in round one. That is next, as you wrap up this edition to the Big Red Rage mozented by Santan Forard in Gilbert, when the Cardinals are looking at number sixteen there give us a gut feel. I mean, how do you think they're going to assess the two thousand and eight NFL Draft and which direction do you think they're going to go first?
Speaker 5: Two rounds. You're gonna be able to get a good corner if you're Arizona. If Rogers Carmarti is there, that's who the Cardinals take. You know, even if there's a Kalais Campbell there in the second round, that's a position you got to look at strongly.
Speaker 4: That is a flashback el grande to the two thousand and eight draft pre draft edition of The Big Red Rage. It is a tradition here, all brought to you by Santan Ford in Gilbert Dave Pash double Ding. You nailed both picks the Cardinals made there the first and second round. How about that? Those are some lofty expectations you have to live up to this year, Dave.
Speaker 5: I had really good sources, So I can't really I can't really sit here and be like, oh, I knew, I predicted perfectly. Who are they going to take? It's just information. It's just passing along as humility.
Speaker 4: That was good, and cam Thomas was good, you know. I I tell you what, I like the progress he's made in the offseason. I like the confidence. It's a quiet confidence, like the fact that he says he's up to two seventy and he had a body scan, he could get up to three hundred pounds. What's in his future? Could he be a future Zach Allen? Is he going to stay at outside linebacker? I'm really intrigued by him, But I mean him playing at about ten to fifteen pounds, heavier and in better shape and stronger. Just his bull rush because JJ Watt has given him props on his bull rush, what he's able to do this year off the edge. Intrigued to see it.
Speaker 1: That's where he's got to be. Polly, gotta use that. Weay to put him in a five technique over the outside shoulder of a tackle. Gotta put him there, all right.
Speaker 4: So the quote is it's the most uncertain draft in years. That's what the insiders are saying.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's recency bias. It always seems like it's a little uncertain, but I mean, honestly, at number three, the Cardinals could go any of four or five different positions. They could go any four or five different players if they stay at three or if they trade down. I mean, how far is too far in your mind?
Speaker 1: Dave?
Speaker 4: If they're entertaining a trade down.
Speaker 5: I think it depends on what look they need multiple assets, So what are you getting? I I it's a team that's Tennessee. Where's Tennessee pick? They're eleven eleven, So you know, if you go back to eleven, do you have a couple of guys in mind that you think, yeah, they're probably top five and at number eleven, we feel really good. That to me seems like a stretch unless you're getting so many picks. Again, you're getting something for twenty twenty four as well, because I think this draft this year is not just about twenty twenty three, it's about twenty twenty four. It's you've got to get multiple assets in the next two years. So when you take the field the fall of twenty twenty four, you're battling for the playoffs. Not saying they can't this year, but we know with Kyler being hurt and a lot of new faces and a new GM and a new head coach, that the expectations are going to be low for this year. But I think you can raise those expectations for the following year by knocking out a knocking it out of the park with these next two drafts.
Speaker 4: Let's say it's Tennessee Maniasavord obviously has a great relationship with his former team, right, sold, that would be the Trey Lance deal. That would be two future first round picks, and you swap first round picks this year. Are you willing to wait? Ron Wolfe? Would you do that?
Speaker 1: Yes? I would bully. As a matter of fact, no doubt about it. I think that's what's gonna happen. This is just my gut feeling on this. I don't think the Arizona Cardinals will be drafting a player at number three. They're gonna get the opportunity. What's the old saying, when preparation meets opportunity, you're gonna have success. Right, that's the definition of success. They're gonna have the opportunity right there to trade down. Somebody is going to fall in love with the player and want to move up to number three. They're gonna have that opportunity. And if it were the Tennessee Titans, I would not be shocked at all. And oh, by the way, I still think you're gonna be able to get Peter Skoronsky they're at number eleven, or even Paris Johnson.
Speaker 4: Let's go full circle on this show. Come back up to Houston. Number two, picking right before the Cardinals. Are we really buying they're not going to draft quarter I'm not. I mean, they did nothing in free agency. They're gonna run Davis Mills and Kyle Allen out there again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what they want you to believe.
Speaker 5: But they can trade down. They have another first round pick where they can take a quarterback or use that to move back up. I would be surprised if Houston picks at number two. I think they're gonna either move out of there.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 5: I'm hopeful, as much as I love Will Anderson, that either he or Tyree Wilson has picked it too, because I just think that opens up tremendous options for the Cardinals. I think somebody else is going to be picking a quarterback at number two. I do not think it's going to be Houston.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so cool. And I think number three as well. That applies to the number three. I think they're both going to be trading out.
Speaker 4: When this process started some two months ago, your ideal scenario was going down to four, Well, yeah, going down to four, still getting Will Anderson, but cashing that in for maybe a round two pick with Indy That would be top a round two, you were get a starting corner or starting d tackle there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I we'll buy the way Ryan Kelly, thank you. Oh, we'll take him off your hands since they want him. Yeah, I would say, Ryan Kelly, I'll take that.
Speaker 5: Here's the other thing to consider, guys, the Cardinals aren't the only ones waiting to see what happens at two. You've got all these other teams. How many teams in the moment depending on who what scenario plays out at number two, which team is going to panic and say we've got to get to three, we'll give us this. They're on the clock. Manni says, hey, we want this. Okay, we'll do it because we've got to get this guy at three. You're gonna have a lot of teams out there that are very nervous. And when number two goes and you're on the clock and you've got to make this deal, you might be able to get something from that team that maybe you wouldn't today or a month ago.
Speaker 4: Speaking to being on the clock, you guys are on the clock. We need a prediction. It's an annual right here on this edition of The Big Red Rage Ponzenta by Santan Ford and Gilbert Ron Wolfley go Cardinal player.
Speaker 1: The Arizona Cardinals trade out of number three, they go back to number eleven and they take Peter Skearansky.
Speaker 5: I think the Cardinals trade down. I don't know, maybe between six and eight. I think they get Paris Johnson.
Speaker 4: I think they go down to eight with Atlanta. I think Atlanta's a sleeper and they grabbed Devin Witherspoon. That's what I think. There have been some reports out there to that effect. By the way, the Cardinals in terms of visits, the AI that is known as Craig Griolou right, he went in all the reports out there about players that they have visited with. It's dominated by offensive linemen, defensive linemen, and corners, with a few centers mixed in. Three centers they visited with me. You're talking about the top thirty and combine. So just let that hang in the air where the Cardinals are targeting. You know what, you might not love Ron Wolfley will leave you with this. In the last four drafts, only two full backs have been chosen, Just to let you know, so you know what, maybe just maybe saw I hope.
Speaker 5: Houston takes Bjon Robinson at number two, and it just throws everything into it, everyone.
Speaker 4: Into it tizzy, especially that Jim Molmanro Mitch Baralda, Special Anks, Cam Thomas, Ron Wolfley and Dave pash On, Paul kelvyc. This has been a Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. Number one.
Speaker 3: Til you've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert, are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com Slash podcasts. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football car