Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: We have a very exciting Still the Place.
Speaker 1: We have Rob Esties, who's so raring to go that he didn't even wait to be introduced.
Speaker 3: Well, we're so excited.
Speaker 4: It does show that we've been talking for a few minutes.
Speaker 5: Until a nice cold open.
Speaker 1: I couldn't stop them from chatting. They it's all gone now we're just considering stery.
Speaker 6: Chest introduced him that guys, you remember him as Kyle McBride after five, six and seven of Meller's Place, after playing another character in season.
Speaker 7: I think few people that have done two characters.
Speaker 1: Different character yes, address.
Speaker 7: No, they never did.
Speaker 6: They never did well, they waited a while right between seasons.
Speaker 5: Was like, yeah, it was there was.
Speaker 7: A good I actually did a pilot for Aaron and when it didn't get picked up, he said, hey, do you want to come do the this is going to be on for thirty however many and I was like, yeah, I like to come do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah great, And it was such a different show. Like I was struck because we watched you. We covered the first season and then I just watched your first few episodes in season five, the show was so different show.
Speaker 5: You think you were going to be on the same show?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I think it was you know, they, I think, I think Chuck and they took the temperature of what was working what wasn't, and they realized that what they had wasn't and and by the time I got there, it had switched the full blown you know.
Speaker 5: Well, I think they, you know, because we were all there in the beginning. I think it was working very well, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Starting disagree, No, I think the ratings weren't there right, and then it was thirty years ago, doesn't matter, but it doesn't and three was the highest ever.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, but season one wasn't working.
Speaker 7: Right, Yes, oh no, No. Wednesday fixed season one for sure, And I guess, I mean, my role on it was nothing. I was an architect and I was I think I went out with James.
Speaker 5: You didn't go out. We just watched. You made a move on her.
Speaker 6: You were she married, yes, by the way, you were Michael's best man or something, and she did kiss you back.
Speaker 7: I was Michael's best by the way.
Speaker 6: Something like best friend. And then you came into town. Robb you across the line.
Speaker 5: You and Josie were in real life weds. Yeah, I just gotten married.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well no, actually we know. Yeah, she got it. She got Melrose and we had a wedding on Sunday and she started on Monday.
Speaker 2: Yes, because this was like episode twenty four or five, and so it was within the year you were.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was interesting too. I mean I kind of had a I had a front row seat of watching what happened when you were on in Melrow. Oh that think blew up, right, it did.
Speaker 1: I remember a very slow start and then it blew up.
Speaker 7: But Aaron had that you guys did so much press in the beginning, that's true, right, I mean you guys did like two days in the studio and all kinds of stuff. So when it rolled out, it was already huge news and he kind of was a gorilla on Fox, so it just had traction right away.
Speaker 1: Well no, not right away.
Speaker 2: This is that court and he was talking about because she was on from day one. So there was a big launch and then everything fizzled out. The ratings weren't there, the audience wasn't there, and then we did another big launch the beginning of season two basically came.
Speaker 7: On was she season two?
Speaker 1: She was the end of season one and she was gonna do four episodes, and then they realized that, oh, these romances, and then it became just three storylines of people making out, no switch beds rooms. We jumped up to season five. I'm like, Jake is dating, but but Jane is upset about it, and he'd been like what happened.
Speaker 6: There's it changes so much because our recap first still the place. We're recapping every episode in order, so we're still working our way through season when we're trying to prevent ourselves from looking too far ahead. But because we're prepping to see you and your character comes in season five, we saw some episodes it was very jarring for us to go, wait, these storylines are completely.
Speaker 2: As Sam, your first character that you probably don't even remember, I don't.
Speaker 5: That was that was one of the few key moments.
Speaker 2: That was right at the time where they were turning the show into the Melrose that we all know and love.
Speaker 5: So you hitting on.
Speaker 2: Your best friend's wife, your real life wife, Josie.
Speaker 5: That was like a moment we're starting to turn.
Speaker 2: We're noticing that like the end of season one, things are bad behaviors and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: It's starting to hit you were really a part of that. Yeah good, I'm glad that I was a part of the switch of the heart of the show.
Speaker 6: So wait, when you came in as Kyle McBride in season five, did you? I'm assuming they just offered it to you. They said, here's this character we have in mind, and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I done. I just left the show Show Show Silk Stockings, and then I had to deal with Stephen Cannell and we were going to produce something, but he wanted me to move to Vancouver and in the midnight hour, I said I can't move and he kind of went, what, like like, I can't, I can't. I can't do that. So I ended up auditioning for a thing called heart Attack and Vine, which was Aaron show. It was with Adrian Brody, me Heather Graham was a blind girl, Guy Leon and the director of Rudy directed it. And it was horrible. I mean, it was great. The script was unbelievable. It was so good, but it just didn't work at the end of the day. And it's interesting because it was it was very it was kind of hard hitting for TV at that time, you know, to have one of your leads be a blind girl and a snitch and it's all all in Hollywood, kind of a blind underbelly of a blind Now Adreen was blind and his girlfriend was Heather Graham, okay, And I think I think Aaron wasn't ready to let go of letting something be a little hard, harder hitting, you know what I mean. And I just think ultimately it couldn't work itself out. But it was a great idea. So the day it got canceled, he called me and he said, yeah, they canceled it, but you know, do you want to you want to come and do Melrose?
Speaker 5: And did he say as a guest star or a couple?
Speaker 7: He said, I'll give you twenty two okay, two episodes and then just kind of went from there.
Speaker 5: And your wife was on it, so you started going.
Speaker 6: And this was also the time when season five, the regular contracts of the original characters those were winding down, and so I think they were doing a lot of new characters coming in with the intent that you would stay on and maybe take over if if other contracts changed and whatever.
Speaker 5: And so you know, you're perfectly positioned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean roll in and you stayed till the end.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, stayed till the end.
Speaker 1: Were we nice to you?
Speaker 7: You guys are awesome?
Speaker 5: Oh thank god?
Speaker 1: Can you imagine.
Speaker 7: Everybody but everybody.
Speaker 2: That you was great, like the nicest person on set to you, I wouldn't even imagine that.
Speaker 7: I mean, that was that was one of the Laura and I were talking for a second about that. I think that's one of the interesting things is that, at least from my experience, and I know we all have different experiences, but there weren't bad apples. Everybody got along and not that there weren't issues. If you're going to spend twelve hours a day with people, there will be issued, but totally well. And then you know, as some of the ensemble players left and new people came in, it's still kind of held its own, Like he didn't seem to bring in bad apples, and then anybody who didn't work, you know, it was a big enough cash that they kind of.
Speaker 2: That didn't work within the within the within or if he had any issues with anyone.
Speaker 7: Yeah, within the group, you know, which was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one thing we learned with Chuck here is that we're basically all dispensable.
Speaker 5: Cost too much? That was his thing. If you cost too much.
Speaker 7: And how much you know, how many, how many different things can happen to a character?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I was going to ask you, do you remember a storyline like your crazy storyline or something where you read it and you're.
Speaker 7: Like, oh no, no, but I remember. I remember my favorite storyline for me, and that was when I got you know, Kyle got hooked on drugs and alcohol and you know, ended up burning down Amanda's dream house. And that was fun because and I directed that episode. It was great terms of because when you direct stuff, you know you you know, you you're setting up camera angles and moves and sometimes an actor will go, yeah, no, that doesn't work for me right, and direct you're like, oh shit, I just okay, So then how okay, you know I got to switch this around in that around so I could make.
Speaker 6: You can consult with the actor like is it gonna work for me? Yes, it is, okay, I'll direct that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly right. I could have a conversation with myself and go, okay, that works, So I know I can make that move. I know that's my I know that's my master. So that was fun.
Speaker 1: I can't believe to let you do a stunt like that. That's amazing.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, I was a stunt man. So oh you were doesn't that sound.
Speaker 5: Drop that a model or were you an athlete?
Speaker 7: I was never. I tried to be a model. I did it one day and I horrible at it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're in the Model stunt Man. I like it. Now, that's a series. He was.
Speaker 5: Models Successfu.
Speaker 1: I'm writing it right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah. But yeah, so I got to do a lot of my own fights and stuff in.
Speaker 5: What where were you stunt?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 7: So there's a guy Hubey Kerkins who was Batman's stunt double forever, right, and not Today's Batman but Yesterday's Batman, and he had a school. So when I was a senior in high school, my best friend, his dad was a stuntman, and you know, we used to mess around and fight and play and I just thought it was cool.
Speaker 5: So you grew up here then this sounds like a Hollywood.
Speaker 7: Ish Yeah, I moved. I moved to California when I was in fifth grade. Okay, So you know we went to stunt school and you know, four days a week fought, crash cars, got set on it. It was the best. But it's tough. Life's being a stuntman unless you're you know, now an X Games guy, unless you can do things that nobody else can do, it's tough.
Speaker 5: Did you get injuries at all?
Speaker 7: My ear drum twice? I think, you know, little cuts and.
Speaker 1: Bruises because actors just hit you.
Speaker 7: No. Actually, what we're doing high falls, and part of being a stunt man is you're also on safety cruise, so you you know, you set up these you know, air bags and the air bay air bag. If you fall and hit the air bag and you fall off, you have people around it to protect you. And some guy landed weird and he came up and his heel came around and landed in my ear and he was like, okay, I'm I'm out and I can't hear.
Speaker 2: So did the other one and someone then give you an opportunity to be in front of the camera or what did you do in between this?
Speaker 7: No? I never I left, like you know, at some point, I think it was like I was out of high school. I was working at GTE which used to exist the phone company, the old phone Yeah, and doing stunts and they're like, you know what, sometimes they like you to, you know, do lines in front of the camera, you know. And I was like, do lines in front.
Speaker 4: Of Yeah, yeah, there's another way to say.
Speaker 7: I want you to do you know, say lines? How you know you do it? It's an end of a scene and then you fall, you get hit, and I was like, oh, So we worked on a scene and I just thought it. I was like, this is great.
Speaker 1: So that was the first time ever thought of acting ever.
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 2: And so what was your first Sean?
Speaker 7: Was there Amelio Charlie Sheen high school?
Speaker 4: So what was your first acting?
Speaker 7: I got my sag card as a breakdancer on a May Company commercial.
Speaker 4: Well, of course you did find that anywhere.
Speaker 7: This lady comes up and she goes, can you come in an audition for a May Company commercial? And I was like okay, And.
Speaker 1: I went in an auditioned and it's in my private apartment, the cast.
Speaker 5: Dancing stunt man.
Speaker 7: So that's how I got my sad card. In the Dave Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire on that side, I wasn't at the shrine, but we were. They were doing Pepsi and slice. Remember slice, Yes, and I was on the board walk. I was, you know, in Venice breakdancing, and everybody started freaking out and I was like, what's happening. There's been an injury at the shrine and they literally closed everything down. I was like, okay, so anyway, but that's that was kind of how I got in. And then dancing took me to Days of Our Lives. Oh for two episodes, and then it was a year and a half, So I think that's kind of.
Speaker 1: Where a year and a half on days on days yeah, okay.
Speaker 6: And that we were just talking with Jack Wagner about what a great training ground the soap opera was because you have to go so fast and do so many episodes.
Speaker 4: There's no way not although I feel.
Speaker 7: Like, at least for me, I feel when you're learning lines that fast, it becomes about knowing the lines. Yeah, you know what I mean. And it's like you kind of all into these tricks of okay, I got this, yeah right, and then all of a sudden, you're you know, you I watched some scenes, like I watched the Little Mountain space and I just, oh, oh my god, I felt so stiff. And you look at it and you thought you were doing all these things. You go, I wasn't what I mean yeah or yeah right? I have you ever done a scene and you go, oh my gosh, I'm not that was great and then you watch it and you go, that was just like all the other fifteen scenes too.
Speaker 1: And we did it. So it started and I was the only one of us who was on it, and they were like, don't be so hard on ourself because like find a layer, find a layers, like Everason, it was I made one choice and just had that one choice for all the scene and something like the whole episode. I had one choice for the whole episode.
Speaker 3: But we're seeing it evolved.
Speaker 1: But we were so young, like you really have to kind of give ourselves a break and go. I don't even know how complicated I could have been, Like maybe that was maybe that was how I moved through my life. Maybe I had the one note.
Speaker 7: Well and everything so quick. I mean, well, you know, you spend fifty to three hundred grand day, you gotta go, it's just a different.
Speaker 6: Baby.
Speaker 3: But we don't know.
Speaker 1: Like we were, we were nervous, right, you're learning, you're trying to make a good choice. You have to relax to let it sort of flow up and down. But you'll see, like if you watch later episodes, I promise you, you'll see yourself relaxed and more layers will come in and you go, oh, that was actually interesting that thing that happened there.
Speaker 7: It's funny because the review and I can't whenever I watch stuff. You guys all seem natural in the flow, right, So I think for I think, I think part of at least for me, is like, you know, we're our worst critic.
Speaker 3: Absolutely watch ourselves.
Speaker 7: It's used to crack my ass.
Speaker 5: Let's hear it.
Speaker 7: So we have at the beginning, we had, you know, and but I would get the giggles. So you were I think you were the it there and oh my god.
Speaker 6: We also like I was watching just because I watched these episodes where you come in right, it was like this just flash in time about like, oh my god, but I.
Speaker 4: Here's this weird situation.
Speaker 6: I'm good friends with Josie who is playing my sister, and she's married to you, and here you come in, and then my character's supposed to like have this like I'm sort of like mooning.
Speaker 4: Over you and like you're out of my league.
Speaker 5: But whatever.
Speaker 4: So and we were just goofing.
Speaker 6: We were friends, right, And then meanwhile in real life, I'm dating Grant in real life, and Joseph's got some obsession with Grant now with Courtney, and like, but Alison and all in this one episode of this one stretch of time that I'm watching, I'm like, oh my god. And now and then Alison's relationship with Billy is still sort of like sense because like they still have a thing for each other and they dated in real life. And then I'm watching like a Jack Wagner and Heather on screen and they ultimately end up in a relationship.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh my god, No.
Speaker 6: Wonder people talk about this. Melou's places like didn't like this crazy must have.
Speaker 5: Happened from the outside. Inside it was like, oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can see why people really thought. But like we all managed to come out of this crazy like overlapping situation like everything was fine, like it was fiction?
Speaker 3: But was it?
Speaker 6: Did we It's like we started as friends and when we had these storylines to play, and I remember we just goofed around until action. But watching the episode I'm watching, you're perfectly like poised and together and you're just playing your character I'm like, we were just laughing, and I feel like I'm still sort of giggling through the scene.
Speaker 5: So you remember that, Robbie remember her? Oh, we were just messing.
Speaker 7: I remember the relationship in terms of what was written. I just remember you having so much fun. And I was doing a play at one point and I had to have an Italian accent, and do you remember I annoyed the ship out of the crew and you were part of it. So yeah, because no way for me, and you in a perfect accent back and I was like, oh my god. So I remember. I remember walking up I remember walking up the stairs and walking the balcony and turning it down to you. People must have been like.
Speaker 5: Is this in between shots?
Speaker 8: I was like, on set, things go and there was It was just perfect, hilarious.
Speaker 7: You guys are so yeah. Everybody. So many people were like.
Speaker 5: And then it's.
Speaker 4: Rolling and you're like, yeah, and my character was such awe.
Speaker 7: I don't know. Do you remember like two in the morning at Kyle's place and I don't know if it was us. I think it was us, But it's like things are running late right Saturday night. Everybody wants to go home. We're doing a scene and we started laughing and couldn't do the dialogue. And it went on. It was like five and people were so pissed. And it was that laugh where you get sweaty. For me, every time I looked in your eyes, I would start laughing again.
Speaker 3: That was a problem.
Speaker 6: And I guess you know what, now that you mentioned this, I think I am to blame for all of this because I right, like, stop.
Speaker 4: Am I a common denominator and problem?
Speaker 7: I think you were the problem.
Speaker 5: And everybody.
Speaker 7: But it was a great problem. I mean, if you can go to work and have laughs like that, yeah, it's good.
Speaker 4: It's like trying to stop laughing in church likes.
Speaker 5: So yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Also we're outside of you guys ruining everything by laughing. For cakes. It ran like top like by the time we were in season five, like they could tell you you'll be here at this time and you were on set within like twenty minutes, which is so rare, Like they ran it. They knew when you'd get there and we would leave, how long stuff would take. Yeah, that's really weird. There's no It was Harry. Yeah, Harry said.
Speaker 5: Harry and his minions.
Speaker 1: Everybody was just remember his fart machine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, you walk on the hall and you'd be like, was that and it was him following people around with his fart machine? Yeah, which I fully appreciated. Yeah, but I think you need that, Yes, right, you have to because we're as lucky, you know, we are to have had that the luck to be and that was amazing.
Speaker 2: And you're working and especially with the storyline that you're having to learn and then say and act out, and every time the camera's rolling, it's like all this serious, you know, it's like all the serious like betrayals and stuff going on.
Speaker 5: You do need that, specifically on a show like that, I think.
Speaker 6: So do you feel like now, I mean, thirty five years of past scary to say, but like what roles or what characters do you feel like people associate you with?
Speaker 7: Oh man, that's a good question. I think Kyle McBride a lot, you mean specifically from the work that I've done. Yeah, just like yeah, probably crys Lorenzo a lot. I mean from silk Stocking. It was before cable TV existed, and when cable no I'm sorry it wasn't. It was a CBS had a cable channel early on, and they did this thing called crime Time after primetime, and at some point it had a pretty big underground following, and Jeff Skansky said, you know what, we should put this on primetime and no, Aaron Spelling did and they talked about it in the midnight hour. They backed out because they said, if a network TV does a deal with cable, it will look horrible. And then HBO shows up, like all these real cable shows show up, and it would have been a home run. And he didn't do it. But so, long story short, Cris Lorenzo, I think for me, and that was.
Speaker 4: Also like a two that was a two character lead show.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it was show just the two of you to.
Speaker 4: Then a larger ensemble.
Speaker 7: Who was the co star on Mitchie Capture? She was great. We shot in San Diego for no money.
Speaker 5: And that wasn't wasn't that like a sexy thing?
Speaker 6: It was?
Speaker 7: It was Crimes of Passion.
Speaker 6: Okay, So so crimes in Lingerie a lot, right, I know.
Speaker 7: If they made that, I probably here's the Lingerie detectics.
Speaker 1: So after year five when so many original cast members left, Yeah, did six feel different or did you notice anything?
Speaker 7: I mean, honestly, no, it was wow. No, I didn't.
Speaker 1: That's how much you missed us, Laura.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not at all.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I guess.
Speaker 4: After five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, five, because you came on your one.
Speaker 4: As a guest and then two as a regular.
Speaker 7: Got it.
Speaker 1: Let me rephrase my question. Did you notice when we left?
Speaker 3: I guess that's a real question.
Speaker 4: Does it even matter to you?
Speaker 5: You remember? Everyone was like one.
Speaker 1: Of those things like did the party go on after I left?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I feel like, don't you feel like, especially with television? Well, I guess both. But you know, you're working long days and when when somebody leaves or you leave and you move on to another show, there's no time like to I really hang out with anybody after you know, I moved down to other shows? Yeah? No, or I did? Yeah in terms of focus going somewhere else, yeah, right, because you left and you went to allen Field. Yeah, and you guys must have had crazy days.
Speaker 1: Longer hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, did you miss those? Courtney?
Speaker 7: Did you missus?
Speaker 1: I'm not even sure who you guys are, right, I have you vaguely familiar? I feel like you were on something in the eighties. Maybe I'm not sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: Laura, what did you go to after I went to I don't know, I bounced around for a bit and I got married after the show and sort of did a lot of parenting sort of. That was my vie for a while, and then I was Pretty Little Liars was my Yeah, jump Ahead, and Kelly was on that too, right, RUTHERFS.
Speaker 7: Not.
Speaker 6: Girls, Gossip Girl, and and Doug was doing Housewives and those in between. But and then you had like a series of movies and stuff that you've done too, Like, right, haven't you had?
Speaker 7: I mean since I did. I just did the After series. I got a movie that comes out on Prime tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yes, well we're going to talk about that.
Speaker 2: So that's called let me just because I watched your teaser and I have a couple of questions because.
Speaker 5: It's called The Italians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I saw the teaser and I recognize Michelle Danner, who I knew from Larry Moss's class when I was in Larry's class and she was his assistant and then took some classes and then I think directing, and I've seen her that she's done a couple of movies. So my question is, were you in a class that she cast from?
Speaker 7: There? So we did?
Speaker 5: How did you get into it.
Speaker 7: When Lauren and I were on set doing the Italian I was doing a play with her okay at the Hudson in Santa Monica. Okay, and Larry directed it with a lady devil Levine.
Speaker 5: Okay, what was that called?
Speaker 7: It was called? It was? It was Tennessee Williams Roase tattoo. Oh, I remember it. Yeah, I remember that almost a year.
Speaker 5: I remember that. Did you do it for a year?
Speaker 7: Did it for a year? Wow?
Speaker 3: And playing?
Speaker 5: So you became married.
Speaker 7: But they were so, I mean they were they helped me.
Speaker 2: Still, that's an extraordinary So you became good friends with Michelle then you.
Speaker 7: Were there was a there was We did that. Then we did another movie with Jason Alexander, Ron Pearlman, Kimberly Williams. What's the name of it?
Speaker 5: This is the person we know. We can't remember stuff if.
Speaker 7: This is how to go out? And the date in Queens is what it was? Nice? Which was it one act play? First? Yeah, she's directing big movies now, Yeah, built it up. She's got another one under the Stars with Andy Garcia and Tony Collette that that I'm in that'll come out later this year.
Speaker 5: Fantastic she's doing it.
Speaker 7: She built it.
Speaker 2: So is there still a class going on? I know that Larry does workshops now, and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Larry just does the workshops. I think got any work.
Speaker 5: She does? She have a class?
Speaker 7: She can't class she does? Okay, he does a class on culver.
Speaker 5: So did she write this? And also Abigail Breslin's in it?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 5: From Sunshine.
Speaker 7: She doesn't Abigail Bresling. It's Michelle. It's Matt Dedario, who's great. He's so good in this. I was like, wow, Michelle.
Speaker 5: Was she from class?
Speaker 7: He came in and auditioned and he was great and he's perfect. And Leany Kazan is just she steals it.
Speaker 5: I remember her from the day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 5: I remember her in that circle of friends. But so where did you shoot it? And what is it about?
Speaker 7: So we shot it actually during the strike in l A. So we got we're supposed to be shooting hard to get again?
Speaker 5: Was it not SAG?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was sad, But SAG gave out a number of waivers if your contract agreed with everything they wanted from the producer. Okay, right, he's kind of the reshaping of what we're all agreeing to now. And we do. I remember that, you know. The waivers were kind of the front end of that. Okay, so we shot it here and it's just it's a it's a family comedy.
Speaker 5: It looked fun.
Speaker 7: It's so fun. Yeah, you family about a kid bringing his girlfriend home to meet his mother and the mother hates her, and it's just you're like, oh my gosh, and you just see yourself in it. And it's based around really good food. Yeah, you eat my god. Well it's funny because you know, I'm this pig in it and I don't ever stop eating. And before we shot it, I lost I lost like fifteen pounds because I wanted to be that, you know, that skinny guy that can eat anything, can eat anything, he never gains weight, falls in love with the woman who can cook. That's the relationship. Oh No, it was funny and he's kind of you know, they.
Speaker 1: Shooting order so you could gain weight to long man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I didn't gain it back. Well, I guess I did gain it back, but it was fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Time, and was it like a few weeks.
Speaker 7: Shoot, we did it in twenty six days.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It seems to be everything now, even the other one under the stars. We shot in Rome and Kublia and we shot that in about I think thirty two days. Wow, that's just now. Yeah, you know, get two or three cameras.
Speaker 5: Oh, let's just.
Speaker 1: Talk to somebody on the last thing I did. And I was like, it feels dark in here, and he said, are we can adjust all that later? Like when you're digitally remember lighting had to be perfect? Is you just feelb to adjust a tiny bit. Now you can adjust so much so they can go so much faster. Aren't you surprised? Like you go to sit down like ready, go to sit ready?
Speaker 3: Good enough?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like doing TV totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's back again.
Speaker 5: It's camera.
Speaker 7: Yeah, now I do. I don't think I did back in the day because I always wanted another take. I was like, I can do that better. You know that, young, I know I can do this better. And then you do four more times and it's exactly.
Speaker 5: Do you remember that.
Speaker 7: Start giving the directors let him do one more Yeah, and you're like, but then you start to trust yourself. And it's when you start to trust yourself that you get better.
Speaker 2: It's so like it, you know, and also you know you're reminding me because I directed a film for lifetime.
Speaker 5: And I remember I had this great.
Speaker 2: Actor and he felt that he never got to it because when we were running it and rehearsing it, it was so poignant and so lovely.
Speaker 5: And he felt like you never got there. And I recognized his that horrible feeling because you're ready to move on. But the crew is, you know, the the users like let's go Daphne.
Speaker 2: And but she got something lovely, more subtle, and I was already I could see from this side that it was going to work probably better because that sweet spot of the.
Speaker 5: Drama he didn't get it in, but the.
Speaker 2: Subtlety he was going to work with, the mood on the script that he couldn't feel it.
Speaker 5: So I was like, please trust me. This is working actually better.
Speaker 7: So that's a good director.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I could feel his I totally fell for him as an actor.
Speaker 5: You know, I totally know where you are.
Speaker 2: If I ever act again, I'm gonna be like, Okay, I gotta trust this guy. Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, that was nice of being directed by actors.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Oh I love it.
Speaker 1: Do you still direct?
Speaker 7: No? I haven't. I did.
Speaker 1: No, No, would you like to?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Maybe at some point at some point. Yeah, teach acting down in Orange County, like young young, like high school? How is that up to college? So that's fun just to do it and work with these kids who there's so much talent right now, un believable.
Speaker 1: What do you think different?
Speaker 7: It does feel different. So many kids can sing and dance and act. Oh right, and I see it on TV. You watch shows and you know somebody you'll break in the song and you'll be like, like.
Speaker 6: Rightly, so many I wouldn't call it that anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 4: There was a day when I could do all those things.
Speaker 5: But you know, it's a muscle.
Speaker 4: If you don't exercise, it atrophies.
Speaker 6: But like I think that, like just young people have so many ways to create, but their their craft out there, and so I think that's you know, that's just a different world.
Speaker 5: We didn't have that.
Speaker 4: We had to do the audition, We had to be discovered, we had to be found, you know, but they can. It was right out there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a very different time in that. But I watch it's it's it's interesting to watch people with TikTok or YouTube. Well there you know I have I'll have a conversation with somebody who's learning how to act or it's the beginning and they're like, well, I'm thinking about my brand.
Speaker 5: I'm like, wow, yeah, I think that create about your brand.
Speaker 7: Well, I think I want to be like this. And I'm like, let's why don't you lay the foundation first and see where you are, you know when when you're get really good at your craft. And I'm not saying it like that, but it's just interesting how I think being able to send it out there. And I've seen a lot of them send stuff out there that they would never get work from, and it's already out there.
Speaker 5: Larry Moss would.
Speaker 2: And kick them out and say get them out of my glass. And when you're ready to be an actor and open your soul up and get vulnerable, that ought to think about it totally.
Speaker 7: You know. He was just telling me to be the guy now that like all the cell phones going up, that being right there.
Speaker 5: You know, what do you say as an acting teacher, these kids.
Speaker 7: Like, well, you know, the kids or the young adults that I work with, I get to choose to work with kind of. So there are some kids that come in and could be very talented, but they won't let go of the phone. They won't let go of you know the end result, and that's difficult up so.
Speaker 2: You know, an awareness of how they look all the time, probably like we didn't have this.
Speaker 1: So I never Yeah, you never saw what you look like.
Speaker 5: You just did it. You had to trust the hair people.
Speaker 7: They can't recop.
Speaker 2: You never saw tillos on the hair, yeah, like even before video village.
Speaker 1: But also we didn't, like I never watched myself because I knew it wouldn't hit me, So I never watched myself. These kids are growing up with their image all the time. We didn't have that, Like I was always remember when you first heard your voice on an answering machine or something, it was horrifying, Like these kids grow up with that member that it was so rare for us to hear our own voices.
Speaker 7: I'm going to record this message twelve times.
Speaker 1: And so how do you work with them and how do you get them to be less self conscious? If they're seeing themselves all the time. I think that would have been impossible for me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I think some of them a lot, at any of them. It's really about intention. What do you want? Right? So it's not I'm not saying about thinking about I need to make you X so that I can have this. Yeah, and here's what it's costing me. And you don't try totally.
Speaker 5: It's not working to flirt with you.
Speaker 1: But if they have in the back of their mind what I want over all of this is to protect my brand, this idea of myself. You can get them through that, you really get them through that.
Speaker 7: No, not all of them. I think so, I think I think some. I think. I think there's that message right now and there's a generation of kids who believe the message of Okay, I'm gonna do it my way. This is right. I know this is right. Even when it's not in in the in the face of you know, being sure, I think you lose opportunities of discovery.
Speaker 4: Isn't it so funny?
Speaker 6: Like we knew each other so many years ago and we're here we are Who would have thought that we'd all be able to come back together and talk about this from where we sit now, Like, well, the generation, yeah, like we're actually we're those people, you guys, we're the old people.
Speaker 4: And so where can we find you?
Speaker 7: So you can find the Italians on Amazon Prime starting April eleventh.
Speaker 5: That is fantastic.
Speaker 7: Can't wait to watch it'll be fun.
Speaker 5: I want to hear you.
Speaker 6: Let me know again, I'm going to screen.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, you know that you were part of the inspiration.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: And then you have another one coming after that that you have a part in with Tony Collette.
Speaker 7: And yeah, so Under the Stars will be out later this year, so they don't have a release date yet, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's fantastic. He's amazing, Are you kidding me?
Speaker 7: Well? He just and he and Tony Collette were great together. They were they were great, and he was such a pro, like he just wanted the best for the film across the board.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Would you say that Malory's Place was a good a good what do you call it?
Speaker 5: Like starting ground?
Speaker 2: Not that it was your beginning at all, because you've done other stuff some but for all this wonderful work that you're doing now and wonderful acting and teaching, and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that was I think Melrose Place was a great training ground and I actually think better than a soap opera, you know, and I know it didn't start out as a soap opera. You know kind of got there, yeah, I kind of got there, But I think it's different because it's slower, there's more time to let yourself breathe a little bit. And on soaps it's you know, as Jack Wagner says, it's just go, go, go, go go. And I can see him liking that, right that. I think that fits his personalitymore. We're both, but I can see him.
Speaker 1: He also got to sing do you remember because you started to remember? All I need remember? That was his song?
Speaker 3: Was that was his song?
Speaker 1: And all of a sudden he said that, and I could see him.
Speaker 3: I was like I was in high school again.
Speaker 7: I was like, did you have a crush? It was?
Speaker 1: I remembered like it was literally like I went down and and there I was in that time, going, oh my god, it's that guy. Never I never pieced together until that moment.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was big, big thing.
Speaker 6: Well, the best thing about Melrose for us is that we've got this wonderful group of friends that we can come back a million years later and do this fun little podcast called Still the Place, and we get to have you in, and we get to have everybody in, and it's always so fun to have our friends back.
Speaker 5: Thank you, great to see you. So everyone.
Speaker 2: Check out his The Italians on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 4: We'll be watching. Thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good to see you.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Rob,