Speaker 1: You're listening to Part Time Genius, the production of Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Guess What, Mango? What's that?
Speaker 1: Will?
Speaker 3: On average, an episode of Part Time Genius contains nineteen.
Speaker 2: Point four facts.
Speaker 3: I bet you actually didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Is that true? I'll be honest, I just made it up now.
Speaker 3: That is unlike the facts and stories we share on this show, which are carefully, some might say, obsessively researched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously, I mean that's part of the fun we have doing what we do, right, researching all this stuff.
Speaker 2: No, that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: But what a lot of people might not realize is that research often takes us down some very deep, twisty rabbit holes, and in the interest of not making, you know, a podcast episode that's three hours long, sometimes we have to cut stuff where sometimes there's a topic that's just so interesting we keep thinking about it even after the episode comes out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean there's also a thing that happens where we have an idea for an episode and we get super excited about it, but then it turns out there's like not quite enough to make it work, but it's still really fascinating and we have nowhere to share that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yep, that also happens. And so what all this means is that at any given moment, we've got a pile of stories that our listeners haven't heard. And I like to think of this as a strategic fact reserve. And so today we're going to give you a peek inside that vault. So for this episode, Mango and I are kicking up our heels and we're turning things over to Gabe and Mary, our producers who help us out with all of that research. They've got some bonus facts from earlier episodes, a few updates on some new things that we've learned, and if they're feeling generous, they might even give you a little preview of some topics we're working on for later this year. So sit back, relax, Grab a drink with a tiny umbrella in it. That's what Mango and I are doing right now, actually, and let's dive in.
Speaker 2: Hey there, podcast listeners, welcome to Part Time Genius. I am not Will Pearson, and I'm not here with Mangusha Ticketter. Instead, i'm producer Gabe and I'm here with producer Mary.
Speaker 5: That's right, and over there in the booth wearing a mask of his own face. It's our friend and fellow producer, Dylan Fagan.
Speaker 2: Are you sure that's really Dylan under the mask? How can we tell?
Speaker 5: Well, he's also wearing a T shirt that says this really is Dylan, So yeah, a T shirt wouldn't lie.
Speaker 2: Right right? Of course I always forget that. But anyway, I'm pretty excited about today's episode. We have a bunch of great bonus facts that just didn't fit into an episode for one reason or another. But before we get into that, I thought it might be fun to talk a little bit about some failed episode ideas. You know, we've made episodes about a lot of really niche and obscure topics, but sometimes we come up with an idea that just doesn't work. You know what I'm talking about? Oh?
Speaker 5: I sure do, because a lot of them are mine.
Speaker 4: Okay, I can kick this one off.
Speaker 5: So last winter I thought it would be fun to do a festive Christmas episode, something you know, for the holidays, something heartwarming. And I found this amazing story about a guy in England who found a packet of eighty year old love letters in his chimney that they had been burnt a little bit, but he could still read them and it was like he could unfold this old love story from decades ago. These people were long gone and it was just really heartwarming and touching. And that made me think, what about an episode of the most unexpected Things people have found in chimneys? Right, because you know, Santa Claus comes down the chimney. I started to look into it, and it turns out that the vast majority of unexpected did things people find in their chimneys are corpses. I mean, you know, sometimes animals, but also sometimes people.
Speaker 2: Okay, animal corpses, human corpses, but always corpses.
Speaker 5: It was just so many corpses it started to not feel very festive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's not very Christmas y. Let's see, Yeah, I had a couple Nine things are usually where things kind of fall apart. Those nine things pitches. We come up with a lot of them, and they sound good at first, but then you dig into it and it's like, no, no, no. I had nine things to do inside on a beautiful summer day. So the idea was just kind of like, let's stick it to the sun and you know, have fun indoors.
Speaker 4: What is it just like playing video games, watching.
Speaker 2: That's really what it ended up being, was like just all the normal things you do inside, whether it's nice out or not. So that fell apart pretty fast. I also had one that was like nine single species islands, small islands that are inhabited by cats or only rabbits or whatever, and you know, looking into it was just kind of the same story over and over again. Somebody put a lot of cats on this little uninhabited island turned it into a tourist attraction. Brinson repeat, It's.
Speaker 4: Just people putting animals where they don't.
Speaker 2: Belong, Yeah, and then making money off of it.
Speaker 5: It's not quite as depressing as finding corpses in your chimney, but it's still not a feel good show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it was a little thin. But also one idea, this is going way back to part time Genius one point zero. We had this brainstorm dock running list of everybody suggesting topics, and they were never attributed to who came up with them, whether as Will or Mangesh or me or somebody else. There was this one that always stuck out to me. It was just should I take a daily vitamin? Are you sure?
Speaker 5: This was on the Brainstorm and not someone trying to message their doctor.
Speaker 2: Oh exactly. I was like, okay, this is one hundred percent Will and yeah. It was just sort of like, all right, this is something he meant to ask Siri, and it just like got added to the Brainstorm doc. But we never did it. Maybe one day.
Speaker 5: Well, speaking of things we've never done but might do one, I have brought this up a few times and I'll keep bringing it up probably until someone tells me to stop. And that is a part time genius musical episode.
Speaker 2: So we're singing, or it's about musicals.
Speaker 5: I mean, it could be about musicals. That actually would be really fun. It could be a musical episode about musicals. See, this is how our brainstorms work, right, one of us says a dumb thing and then someone makes it smart. No, I just think it would be fun.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: When we did the twenty five Greatest Science Ideas series, we had our great friend David Nagler write a song about the Ottaron particle that was discovered at the Large Hadron Particle Collider, and it was just so fun to hear this incredibly complicated physics thing explained through song. And I thought, what if we did more of that. What if we had Will and Mangesh singing the information instead of just talking. Mongsh is not a fan of this, but I have heard, I have heard from a reliable source that Will has a very good singing voice.
Speaker 2: Really, I did not know that.
Speaker 4: That is what my sources tell me.
Speaker 5: So the dream of the part time Genius musical episode may not be dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fingers crossed all right? Well, speaking of music, not too long ago, we did an episode about novelty songs, but there is one story that was left on the cutting room floor. It was mostly about NASA's Skylab and how it crashed to the ground. Believe it or not, in Australian rock group made a novelty song about Skylab crashing and that's because it landed in Australia. Back in nineteen seventy three, NASA had just launched the Skylab missions, which were kind of bridging the gap between the Apollo and Space Shuttle programs. They sent up this big space station. It weighed more than eighty tons and it was built to sustain a three person crew for an extended period of time, and NASA wanted to use this for three Skylab missions with three different crews of three astronauts each time. So they did these three missions, and the station still had plenty of supplies left on board, and NASA had already begun planning for a fourth mission. But that's not really how things shook out. The space station orbit began to decay much earlier than anticipated, and the increased amount of drag on Skylab caused it to lose altitude and it re entered or its atmosphere a full four years ahead of schedule. It ended up crashing into the Indian Ocean, and all this debris kind of rained down on this rural part of Western Australia.
Speaker 4: How did that become a novelty song?
Speaker 2: There was a hotel in this tiny town called Balladonia. It was pelted with debris, and actually President Jimmy Carter called up and apologized to the hotel owners. He's like, I'm so sorry this happened.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine getting that phone call?
Speaker 5: I know, right, mister President, you need to come over here and clean up your space debris right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, well that's another funny thing is there was another small town called Esperance, and they were so like put off by all this wreckage, like raining down in their jurisdiction. That they actually hit the US State Department with a four hundred dollars fine for literary awesome. The government, to its shane did not fit the bill.
Speaker 5: Wait, so we still owe Australia four hundred dollars for littering.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, in two thousand and nine, a California DJ named Scott Barley he finally like righted this wrong by collecting donations from his listeners and then he cut the town a check.
Speaker 4: Well, so it's all a musical. It was a DJ.
Speaker 5: This is all a musical story, okay, all right, So I got to know, how did this turn into a novelty song?
Speaker 2: So after all this debris rains down on this hotel in Balladonia and President Carter calls to apologize. Balladonia was kind of, you know, on the world stage after that, and it became a popular tourist destination. Of course, they had collected the debris that fell there and kind of put it on display. This Australian rock group called Family capitalized on it wrote a song titled the Ballad of a Balladonia Night aka the Skylab Song, and it became the year's summer anthem in Australia.
Speaker 4: Do you happen to have a c of this that we can listen to?
Speaker 2: You know, Mary, I'm glad you brought that up because I do.
Speaker 4: Nice Jamie Bam Oh the sky Wow.
Speaker 5: That was incredible. That may be my song of the summer here in twenty twenty five. I am so glad I know about this. Now let's bring it back all right, Well, this is not music related, but it is art related. A few weeks ago we had the author Cy Montgomery on the show to talk about her book What the Chicken Knows, really really great book.
Speaker 4: I had a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: I read it, did some research about chickens, and then I kind of kept doing research about chickens even after we had finished preparing for the interview. I started wondering about chickens in art. And by that, Gabe, I do not mean chickens who make art, although I'm sure that is a thing, and.
Speaker 2: That's another episode, yep.
Speaker 5: I was more interested in the idea of chickens represented in art. Surely people have represented chickens in visual arts, and guess what they have. There's a mural in Poland that is a picture of a woman holding a chicken, and it's apparently based on a famous Polish children's story about a hen that tries to run away from home and its owner who goes after it. I believe it's called Madame Chicken is the name of the mural. But my favorite was a painting by the Filipino artist Anita Megsi Si Ho, and it's called Catching Chickens and this is beautiful. It is a picture of women with chickens all around their feet and they're dancing, they're holding baskets, they're scooping up the chickens. It's just so joyous, and there's so much movement and light in the painting you just kind of want to climb into it. And so I'd never heard of this artist before, so I started looking into her, and Anita MgSi Si Hoe was this credible pioneer of modern art in the Philippines. She was a twentieth century painter at a time when there were not a lot of prominent women painters working in the Philippines. My favorite detail about her is that she had five children. Her family moved around constantly because of her husband's job. In spite of that, wherever she went, she was sure to set up a little work area where she could keep painting, and so she was incredibly prolific, and today she's regarded as one of the giants of modern art in the Philippines. But here it gets even better. She was known for working in egg tempera.
Speaker 2: What what is that?
Speaker 5: It's basically a pigment that is mixed with egg yolk as a binder. It's very very difficult to work with because it dries really quickly. You have to work in very small sections, and it's much harder to control the consistency compared to something like oil paint. But the big benefit of egg tempera is that it has this luminous, lifelike quality. A lot of Renaissance art actually was painted in egg tempera, especially things on panels, like wooden things. It sticks to the wood very well, kind of like glue, and it gives this inner glow, this life to the image. And unlike oil, egg tempera colors don't change over time. They're very color fast.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Why don't all artists use that?
Speaker 5: Like I said, it's very tricky to work with, but I just I love that. This book about chickens sent me on this journey through chicken art, all the way through this incredible artist who I'd never heard of and is now probably one of my favorite artists. And now this paint Egg tempera that I had never heard of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm glad you got to share that. I'm glad we found an outlet for it because I'm going to look her up too, and I bet a lot of listeners will as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll put a link in the show notes.
Speaker 5: Okay, have you got another fact for us that didn't make it into an episode?
Speaker 2: I do. Yeah. So we recently did an Inside Baseball episode. I am not a baseball fan, but I am a huge fan of all the baseball traditions, the lore, the organ music, the snacks, all of that kind of stuff. I'm also just a big fan of very strange baseball stories. And there was one that we just didn't have room for, so it ended up on the cutting room floor. It happened back in nineteen eighty three, and it was when Yankees outfielder Dave Winfield was arrested for accidentally killing a seagull. So this happened during a game against the Toronto Blue Jays, and this was at the team's exhibition stadium in Canada. And a little background here. Toronto's population of ring build seagulls had risen dramatically that year and had gone from ten thousand gulls to nearly two hundred thousand. Why and I don't know why I couldn't find that out.
Speaker 5: If anyone in Toronto knows about this seagull population issue, please please let us.
Speaker 2: Know, please, what was going on that year. So anyway, because the ballpark was located like just offshore of Lake Ontario, the birds would often flock there in droves, and occasionally one of the gulls would land like right on the field, and fans would cheer and laugh, and the players would get a little annoyed. But you know, whatever, it happened. But on this one night in August of nineteen eighty three, there was this particular seagull who landed on the field early in the game and he just stayed there. Some people thought he might be sick. They said, he didn't really look very well, he looked a little shaky, and he just like didn't move an inch. So at the top of the fifth inning he's sitting there right on the field. The Yankees took the field. They started doing their practice throws and that kind of stuff, and after warming up in the outfield, Winfield threw the ball that he had been using back towards the dugout and accidentally struck the seagull in the neck and it died instantly. Fans began booing Windfield, you know, assuming that he had done this on purpose. They were, I guess it was like rubber ball night at the stadium or something. They were throwing rubber balls at him, and so, you know, a moment later, I think it was, the bat boy runs onto the field, covers the dead gull with a towel and like carries it off, you know, and every just really heartbreaking. Right in the middle of the game. They continued to play, you know, as normal, and the Yankees actually went on to win three to one. But once it was over, Winfield went back to the clubhouse and was approached by Canadian police. They put him under arrest for killing a ring builled seagull, which, as it turned out, was a protected bird under Canadian law.
Speaker 4: It wasn't just any seagull, it.
Speaker 2: Was nationally protected species. They took him down to Toronto's police station. He was charged with causing the unnecessary suffering of an animal that carried a five hundred dollars fine and up to six months in prison. In a nice show of goodwill, the Blue Jays general manager paid the five hundred dollars bond to get Winfield released. So he got out and was supposed to come back like a week later to stand trial. But in the meantime a bird autopsy was conducted.
Speaker 5: They actually they kept the bird. They kept the body.
Speaker 2: Yes, the police collected it from the Toronto Humane Society and sent it to the University of Golf in Ontario for a full autopsy. While they're looking the bird over, the charge were eventually dropped. Winfield had talked to the reporters. He made it clear this was an accident. I did not mean to kill the seagull. So they dropped the charges and that ended up being the right decision because once the autopsy report came back, it turned out that everyone had been correct. The bird was quite unwell. The report concluded that although the bird did die from blunt force trauma, it almost certainly would have died anyway within like a week, so to show there were no hard feelings, Winfield returned to Toronto. He went back a few months later, he did a charity dinner and he even brought a special painting that he had commissioned to be auctioned off. It depicted a seagull standing in front of a red maple leaf, with two other goals flying over the shore of a lake, and at the bottom there was an inscription that read to the Canadian people committed to the preservation of their values and resources.
Speaker 5: That is incredible, and again it goes back to.
Speaker 2: Bird Art, Bird Art. There we go, all right, we need.
Speaker 5: To take a quick break, but when we come back, we have more bonus facts, including a statue that's been through a lot and some buildings that are getting cooler thanks to a very old technology.
Speaker 4: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Part Time Genius. I'm Gabe and I'm here with Mary and we're opening the fact vault today to share some of the things that didn't make it into our regular episodes. So, Mary, what's your next cutting room floor fact?
Speaker 5: Okay, so we have an episode about climate resilience, which is of course the ways in which people around the world are using technology, engineering and general ingenuity to protect themselves and their homes and their communities from climate change. And I found this fact that I think about all the time because I have a plant pot in my apartment.
Speaker 4: Do you have a plant pot in your apartment?
Speaker 2: I have pots with plants in them. Is that different? No? No?
Speaker 4: No, A pot that you put a plant in?
Speaker 2: Oh? Perfect, Yeah, I got them.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: They're often made of terra cotta, which is that sort of orangish beige material that is really good for plants. And one of the reasons it's good for plants is that it's absorbent. It absorbs and holds water, and that's also why it's great for cooling. Tarracotta has been used for thousands of years in India to keep water cool because when you fill up in terracotta jug with water, a certain percentage of that water gets absorbed and then it evaporates. As it evaporates, it keeps the remaining water in the jug cool. So people have been doing this in lieu of refrigeration for a long time. Recently, an architecture studio in New Delhi came up with a way to use terracotta to cool buildings. They had a client who was a manufacturer and they had these diesel generators that were creating a lot of heat in the building, and it was making things too hot for the workers. And if we were just trying to combat that with air conditioning, it would cost a ton of money and be really bad for the environment.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So what they did was they manufactured eight hundred big tubes of terracotta that they arranged around a stainless steel framework, and then they pumped recycled water over the terra cotta. As the water evaporated out of this terracotta structure, it sent cool air out and around the area and actually brought the temperature down by several degrees, making it more comfortable for people who are working there. So they've actually been able to replicate this in dozens of buildings around India, mostly commercial spaces, but also schools, even airports.
Speaker 2: So again I have to ask, just like with the egg tempera, why doesn't everybody use this?
Speaker 5: It takes up a lot of room, right, It's a larger installation. It's not like a compact little thing, and you know, you need engineering techniques that maybe people aren't willing to invest in everywhere. But I'm glad you asked, because some people have been experimenting with this idea. Even more, some engineering students in India have built a terracotta air conditioner, which is a smaller unit where a fan sucks in air and then blows that air over damp terracotta right, because again, the evaporation is just like a cooling system, and they've been able to bring air down in a room by almost three degrees fahnheit, which isn't a lot, but if it's really hot, that three degrees can make a big difference. Absolutely, So, Gabe, you've got one more extra fact, let's hear it.
Speaker 2: So we did an episode not too long ago in our travelogue series about the nation of Denmark, and that's one of the places I actually have been able to visit. I got to go there a few years ago toward Copenhagen myself, and there is one city attraction that I just couldn't quite fit into the script, but I really wanted to talk about it. It is the Little Mermaid statue that sits in Copenhagen Harbor. It's been there for over a century at this point, and it has been through a lot during that time.
Speaker 4: The Little Mermaid, who is the author.
Speaker 2: Hans Christian Anderson right, of course. Yeah, famous Danish writer Little Mermaid, the Ugly duck Lane Thumbelina, Little match Girl. Yeah, kind of a national treasure of Denmark. And so this statue was actually unveiled in nineteen thirteen. It was a gift from a Danish brewer named Carl Jacobsen. He gave it to the city of Copenhagen after falling in love with the character of the Little Mermaid after watching a ballet performance at the Royal Danish Theater, and so he commissioned a sculptor named Edward Erickson to create this three hundred and eighty five pound bronze sculpture of the title character. He wanted the ballet dancer who played the Little Mermaid to pose for it, but she refused to pose in the nude, and so instead the sculptor enlisted his wife, and so they put this four hundred pound bronze sculpture on a granite rock in the Copenhagen Harbor and it's been there ever since. And along the way it's been a frequent target of vandalism by really like all sorts of different protest groups. So his poor Mermaid has been decapitated twice, covered in paint and graffiti. Multiple times, she had an arm sawn on off. At one point she was painted red as part of an anti whaling protest. She's been covered in graffiti with messages like in twenty twenty somebody tagged her with a kind of confusing inscription, dubbing her a racist fish. And people don't really know, you know what any of this has to do with the Little Mermaid or with Hans Christian Anderson. He hasn't really been accused of racism or anything in his works.
Speaker 5: Does Copenhagen just keep fixing the statue? Do they just keep going out there and cleaning off the graffiti and replacing the head and all of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again and again they've had the retrieve her body parts from the water, scrub or clean. Actually, when I was there, this was I think twenty twenty three, you could still see the faded letters of racist fish. It's all leaving a mark, unfortunately. But the thing that makes it extra sad for me is if you are familiar with Hans Christian Andersen's version of this story, and not just the Disney one, you know that the Mermaid and the story had a pretty rough time too, it's a much darker tail. She has her tongue cut out. The Prince does not choose her in the end. So it's just a little extra tragic when you look at what the character has been through to see that sort of repeated on the statue. So if anyone's listening in Copenhagen, please stop, please a little Mournee has been through enough.
Speaker 4: She's been through enough.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, I would like to turn now to an update from an episode that came out not too long ago, and it was nine extremely Valuable Facts about Pennies.
Speaker 4: Do you remember that episode?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that one, Okay.
Speaker 5: In that episode, of course, we talked about the fact that there is a move to get rid of the penny in the United States, and that's actually been going on. Several presidents have brought that up. It's come up time and time again. But now there is officially a bill that has been introduced in the United States Senate to formally eliminate the penny. And this is a bipartisan bill brought by Jeff Merkley of Oregon and Mike Lee of Utah and Gabe. They have called it the makes Sense not Sense act o that's worse. In the press release announcing this act, Merkley said, and I quote, it's the opposite of common sense for taxpayers dollars to fund wasteful spending like producing pennies.
Speaker 2: Wow, they doubled down on that. They were so proud of it.
Speaker 5: I would like to introduce a bill to eliminate lazy punning by elected officials. It does not serve our country, It does not send a good message to our children. Puns are fine, but God put in a little more effort than that.
Speaker 2: I second thought, with a brave stance, Mary.
Speaker 5: If I ever run for office, that's going to be That's gonna be my one and only platform.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: Should we tell people some teasers about some things that we are working on right now that they can look forward to.
Speaker 4: Should we do that? Should we be that generous?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Should we pull back the curtain a little bit?
Speaker 5: I think we should because Will and Mango are sipping tropical drinks and a hammock, I believe, and we're here, so let's do what we want. I know you're working on an episode that we're very excited about. You want to tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 2: We had a listener suggests that we do an episode all about three D printing, and I'm happy to say that is in the works. I think a lot of people still treat it as a new emerging technology, but really it came about back in the eighties and it's not just a printing plastic anymore. We've moved on from there and there's some fun historical connections that we're going to get into in that episode. So definitely look forward to that one.
Speaker 4: Oh that's great.
Speaker 5: Well, I can tell you I am really excited about an episode we have coming up that's all about puppets. Puppets have an incredible rich history. I mean, it's obviously Sesame Street the Muppets, we all know them, we all love them, but puppets have a long history in many civilizations and cultures around the world, used for theater, for politics, all kinds of things. It's a very I mean, it's one of those episodes that I feel like could easily become an hour long. It won't, don't worry. But there's so much to talk about. And I'm particularly excited because I do have a friend who is really passionate about puppetry, and she builds and makes puppets for performances that are incredible, and she's done them for science education, she's used them for all all kinds of things. So just personally, I am excited to be able to send a friend an episode that's going to be right up her alley.
Speaker 4: And I think that happens a lot with this show.
Speaker 5: People find a topic and they know someone who's really into that one topic, and they send them that episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm really looking forward to that one too, really really interesting stuff. And I know normally we end an episode with a fact off, but we've had a lot of facts today, So why don't we head down to the rec center for some recommendations instead? What do you say?
Speaker 4: Sounds good.
Speaker 2: That? So my recommendation for today is that listeners reacquaint themselves with the Looney Tunes. A lot of people don't know that in this year, twenty twenty five, there was a new theatrical Looney Tunes movie. I did not know that it already came and went from theaters. It was called The Day the Earth Blew Up, starring Daffy Duck and Porky Pig. This was a hand drawn, beach er length film. It didn't have a lot of advertising. It came and went, but critics loved it, animators love it, and I believe it's available on streaming now, so people should check that out. And also there's a new Blu Ray collection, the Classic Looney Tunes. It's a collection of I think about forty or so of the shorts that have been newly restored, never released on Blu Ray before. The Looney Tunes are fun for people really of all ages. That's something I think a lot of people forget. They were shown in front of movies back in the day. Looney Tunes laid in front of everything, whether you were seeing, you know, a romantic comedy or a horror movie or whatever, and everybody in the audience laughed. Maybe recreate those pre shows at home. Watch a Looney Tunes before you start a movie. You know you're watching a movie from nineteen thirty nine, Watch a Looney Tunes it was made that same year. Or you can go about its thematically too. If you're watching a Western, watch something with Yosemite Sam or Wiley Coyote or something like that. Yeah, it sounds storky, sounds nerdy, and it is, but it's also a lot of.
Speaker 5: I mean this is part time genius. I think everyone is okay with nerdy.
Speaker 2: A lot of who things here?
Speaker 5: Help me if they're not, they're not listening at this point. I love that, Gabe, Thank you for that recommendation. We watch a lot of movies in my house, so that's a really great idea.
Speaker 2: All right, Mary, what did you want to recommend?
Speaker 5: This did come up in the Novelty Songs episode that you mentioned earlier, which is a study showing that our brains crave novelty. It's not good for us to be doing and hearing and seeing the same thing over and over and over. So some way to shake that up is actually really good for us. So I'm going to recommend It's not a product, it's not a service. It's just a thing you can do, and that is taking a different route to your destination every time. So we all have places that we go on a regular basis. You go to the grocery store, you go to your gym, you go to your kid's school, you go to your workplace, whatever it is, if possible, take a different route there every time. So I live in New York City. I walk everywhere, and there are places that I have to walk all the time. And my plan is when I am leaving my apartment, I know where I have to go, and instead of going the same way, I'll go down one block and then over another, and then kind of down a few more blocks and then over and then down and over.
Speaker 4: I'll zigzag around the grid.
Speaker 5: The reason I do it is because it makes you more aware of what's going on.
Speaker 4: You notice things.
Speaker 5: You see a plant in a window that you never noticed before, You noticed a business that you hadn't seen. And even when I'm not consciously aware that I am seeing different things, I often feel more alert when I'm doing it, you know, because you can just go on autopilot. It's very easy to go on autopilot. And I find that when I am making an effort to go a different way every time, I actually feel more in tune with my own brain.
Speaker 2: I love that mix it up a little bit, boost your brain.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously, if you're in a rush and you know you got the shortest route, do that. But if you have a little time and you have the ability, given your commute, pick a different route. You know, at the end of the fact off someone usually gets a trophy. But the great thing about the rec center is we're all winners here, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, So congratulations everybody that's going to do it for today's episode. Be sure to subscribe on your favorite podcast platform and follow us on Instagram at part Time Genius, Will and Mango will be back next week with a brand new episode, and in the meantime, from Mary, Dylan and Me, thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Part Time Genius is a production of Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio. This show is hosted by Will Pearson and Me Mongaschatikler and research by our good pal Mary Philip Sandy. Today's episode was engineered and produced by the Wonderful of Dylan Fagan with support from Tyler Klang. The show is executive produced for iHeart by Katrina Norvell and Ali Perry, with social media support from Sasha Gay, trustee Dara Potts and Viney Shorey. For more podcasts from Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.