Speaker 1: Warning today's episode canad spoilers for The Acolyte episode four. Hello. My name is Jason Seccion and I'm Rosie Night. Welcome back to the xt revision of the podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, collings, and pop culture. Coming from aur Podcast, we'll bring you two episodes a week, every Tuesday and Thursday.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, it is your summer TV guide for twenty twenty four. Because time is a myth and it's already halfway through. There in the airlock, we are going to be talking about some of our most anticipated returning series. In the previously on we're gonna be recapping episode four of The Acolyte.
Speaker 3: What an episode we're gonna be talking about it.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the airlock. Okay, let's dive in to the TV show calendar, starting with this June fourth, which is already it's already mid June. But let's talk about a show that early June on FX and Hulu, Clipped, which you can watch on Disney Plus if you bundle Hulu and Disney Plus. Clipped is the story of the Donald Sterling incident. The Donald String, the former and very racist owner of the Los Angeles Clippers and the activism that came from the reveal of just how racist he was. The series is based on ESPN's thirty for thirty podcasts, The Sterling Affairs and Folks. I've watched the first episode, and there's some really interesting I think there's some really good performances here. That said, if you are a basketball fan, what you will come away with is how and I think in this sense this series is actually ground breaking. How little this show cared about one the real life people who are depicted in the show actually resembling the real life people into the basketball Like, oh yeah, most most shows that are set in a world of basketball like make a gesture. Is it trying to like produce sort of like realistic seeming basketball scenes. This show doesn't care.
Speaker 3: It is soap opera.
Speaker 2: But it is also like it is also incredibly engaging, Like it is a well made soap opera. You will watch it, but yeah, it is. It's kind of wild when you like actually look at how you know obviously the basketball players we know, so you know, there's there is some fun stuff here with like the inner beefs of the basketball players and like who hate too? And but The really funny stuff is like it's Ed Harris who plays Stirling, right, and they still don't even manage to make him look gross enough. And then they also don't necessarily represent his right hand arm man. You know, she even looks very different from the real woman. But yeah, I have been watching this show and it is it's like really great Presty's trash if you want to walk.
Speaker 1: Very very trashy. I think the show would have been seventy percent better if the great Lawrence Fishburne had done Doc Rivers voice had docs So.
Speaker 2: Isn't it interesting yet that whenever they use quotes from Doc Rivers, they just play the real Doc.
Speaker 4: Rivers quotes And I'm like, guys, Lawrence is not even doing this. Just just get Larry to like read them again, because there's no consistency here. Like whenever they play Doc River's voice, you're like, oh, that's Doc Rivers, and then Larry comes on stage and you're like, oh.
Speaker 3: Wait, no, this he's not doing the voice. He's not doing the voice.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 1: Sub Orphan Black Echoes premiers June twenty third on AMC AMC Plus in America. The show spinoff of or from Black Takes place in twenty fifty two, thirty seven years after the original Orphan series. It follows a group of women as they weave their way into each other's lives and embark on a thrilling journey unraveling the mystery of their identity or From Black and uncovering a wrenching story of love and betrayal and a fishco who was involved with Fear the Walking Dead takes the reins, as showrunner John Fawcett, creator of the series, says, quote, the spinoff is a very different show. If you go with expectations that you're gonna see Or From Black, you're gonna be disappointed. It's got its own feel, it's got its own identity. What makes it or From Black. There's a bit of a slow burn to it. I think it'll be exciting for fans to discover. John Fawcett, get better at selling your show.
Speaker 5: This was not It sounds like a very lukewarm veiled my friend, do not tell literally, the only reason this show exists is because your fandom is so passionate that they have made this show exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that for the show via the fact they listen to the podcasts of the show don't tell them that. Tell them this is gonna make you feel like you're in the world of Orphan Black, but having a totally new experience.
Speaker 3: My friend, my.
Speaker 1: Friends, please, I want to show exist because of the fandom.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 3: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: It's something new. I love these kind of shows or that I'm not necessarily in the deep in the fandom for always make me excited. Like we're knowwna up Orphan Black shows that people love so much that they will just keep fighting for them to come back. So I'm sure it will be great. John Fossett get a writer's room, and I'm more excited.
Speaker 1: It's as simil as this. Did you love Orphan Black, You're gonna love Orphan Black echoes exactly.
Speaker 3: My friend, You're too honest.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, though, I appreciate Next up, Cobra Kai season six, Season six.
Speaker 2: The final season. Now I have to say I am like that. I am a huge Cobra Stan. I love these little children and their martial arts fights. I also think it's really funny because if you do live in La and you go to the valley, there is like a dojo on every corner, Like it is like it's very specific valley culture. But yeah, sixth and final season of Cobra Kai premiering on Netflix and will consist of fifteen episodes, so you can tell this is like a truncated like two seasons. Interestingly, Netflix, they're doing the old three part drop the old suddenly they can do not a binge model situation. So it's gonna be fIF experimenting. They're dabbling, Yeah, and they're gonna see how it goes. I think it's because they know this is a big show for them. If you haven't watched the show, it's basically like a sequel to Karate Kid, and it features a ton of great kids and I love them all and I would die for them, and I love I love teenagers.
Speaker 3: We've got another John here. Let's see if he does better.
Speaker 1: John Herwitz, showrunner quoteles to stop thinking of season six as one final season and instead view it as three distinct mini seasons. Each mast was written knowing the release plan, so the experience was designed to be enjoyed in five episode chunks. It's okay, well, listen, anything that gets us towards a weekly release model, I'm for. And certainly it seems like Netflix, and the way they've been dealing with their reality offerings and Stranger Things and some other shows is trying to find that middle ground between binge and weekly. So I'm I'm for this. Next up, The Bear season three. When I saw The Bear season three is shortly to premiere June twenty seventh on FX and Hulu, I sat back in my seat and went, wasn't the Bear just on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Wait, dude, shit out there making it. And also they were like, is your June not busy enough? Do you already have to, you know, cover the Acolyte? Do you already have to cover House the Dragon? Well, now you're gonna be covering the Bear too, because it's one of the biggest shows on TV. The trailers for this are giving tragedy because the official synopsis is like, the new season will follow Karmie, Sydney, and Ritchie as they do what it takes to elevate the Bear, their beef stand turned fine dining establishment to the highest level, or while doing their best just to stay in business. Call me, I can already tell you it's gonna go wrong. I see you in there with your little You've got your little tweezers going on.
Speaker 3: Just keep making sandwiches.
Speaker 2: It was going great. I don't know why you have to do fine dining. I know you're gonna be acting like a toxic chef. I've already seen it happen once. If you throw marcus Is donuts on the floor again, there's gonna be a problem. But I do love this show and I love these characters, so I'm excited to see what happens.
Speaker 1: Driven around town yesterday, and you know, La is the town of billboards, and specifically you know billboards for the television.
Speaker 3: And yeah, they love.
Speaker 2: The execs love to see a billboard of a show.
Speaker 1: They love to see a billboard. Everybody involved with the show loves to see a billboard because it's like, Wow, they really care about us, they're promoting. I saw a bear billboard. I'm Niel Bolvard, and you know, I'll be interested to see this season because it feels like the bear is a little too high on its own supply. No, so the billboard was this. The billboard was Jeremy Allen White and I owe very natural, naturalistic lighting and it's them like just hanging out, clearly talking about the restaurant. And it doesn't say the bear anywhere. There's no writing, it's just a there's just like a circular logo that's like an illustration of like a bear's head that's actually really small. This is my note and this is what I When I saw that, I'm like, Wow, this show is like it's almost like arrogance. They're like, you know what this I don't even have to tell you. What I know is a huge star. Jeremy is a huge star. Now you know what it means when those two are together. You know what our show is. You don't even need to look it up. You don't even need the title. You know it's the Bearer because you just see them and you know it.
Speaker 2: Let's hope there's no pride before this fall, dude, and Io is gonna be getting her directorial debut this season, which I love.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to see.
Speaker 2: That they're pushing the the Sydney Krmi together because I am a Sydney Krmi shipper and I understand it, but I am also a big notes. Rumor has it that we're gonna learn what happened to Carmi's dad that the Bears given extremely like scarce details on Karmi's father, which is probably because when they do that big casting every season they'll they'll do like a huge cameo, like the first one was having the reveal that John Byrnethall was the brother. Then we got Jamie Lee Curtis as Karmi's mom, And it will be interesting to see if season three has that kind.
Speaker 3: Of heartbreaking episode but it being about the dad.
Speaker 2: Who would you cast if you were casting the Dado John Goodman? Oh wow, Yeah, I would love to see it.
Speaker 1: Next up Batman Cape Crusader premiere's August First on a Time video. Here is the synopsis. Welcome toc Gotham City, where a corrupt out number of the good criminals run rampant and law abiding citizens live in a constage stud of forging the fire of tragedy. Wealthy socialite Bruce Wayne becomes something both more and less than human.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is intended to be a spiritual continuation of Batman, the animated series produced by JJ Ammerm's Matt Reeves and Bruce tim.
Speaker 2: Wow Team Wow and the Team.
Speaker 1: Continues with the involvement of Ed Brubaker, James Tucker, Daniel Pipski, Rachel rush Rich and Sam Register as executive producers on this series. I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Looks great. I love I love the visually.
Speaker 2: That taking hints from Batman the animated series, but it is going to be its own kind of noir. We got the different version of Selina Kyle in the Variety pictures. I mean, I just don't see a world where this isn't great because we're living in an animation heyday right now, and the original series is so iconic and it's got a great team.
Speaker 3: Can't wait for it.
Speaker 1: Did you think that I could get a good like rent?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: I think about this all the time. I think the rent is so good.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 2: I know your rent is cheap, but your car insurance premiums are high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't even have it. You can't have a broken into a million times Fane's throwing your.
Speaker 2: Car like Batman's landing on the roof of your car. But I do think you could get a nice, affordable.
Speaker 1: Five hundred dollars I think you could.
Speaker 2: I think in Gotham you're still getting a five hundred dollars rent.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's possible.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, next up, Umbrella Academy Season four.
Speaker 3: Coming out, Final season Baby on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Final season of course, The adaptation of the comic series of the same name by the multi talented grord Way. The show premiered in twenty nineteen and follows a group of Estrange siblings with superpowers who were reunited after the death of their father. I'm excited for the final season of this. I really enjoyed the comic book. Did you have any any Umbrella Academy.
Speaker 2: Thoughts as fine, Okay, they're good kids.
Speaker 1: I like him.
Speaker 3: Good for them.
Speaker 1: Next up, Netflix's anime Treasures continued to accrue as its creators. Zero debuts on August twenty ninth. Terminator zero is a brand new story set in the Terminator universe, following a brand new cast of characters. It seems like it's going to be an eight episode anime focused on, you know, Humanity's relentless struggle against Skynett and the Terminator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thoughts, I've seen it.
Speaker 2: It's really good. It's by production ig who made Ghost in the Shell, so really like, you couldn't want anything better. Also interestingly written by Matt's and Tomlin, who had worked He's done some comic stuff, he worked on The Batman early on, and yeah, it's really it looks beautiful it's basically about it's set in Japan, which I think is really cool, and it kind of gives us an insight into Japan in the lead up to Judgment Day, and it feels like the kind of show where they could just do like ten seasons in each one set in a different country as the kind of lead up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I thought it was great. If you like hard.
Speaker 2: Sci fi anime, you'll probably love it. If you like The Terminator, you'll probably love it. I didn't know this show was even happening till I got to write a cover story about it for Den of Geek, So a nice surprise. I think it could. I think it could be in that realm of Scavenger's Rain and kind of those anime animated series that hit and kind of get, which, by the way, is on Netflix.
Speaker 3: Now, so you better watch it.
Speaker 1: Go watch it, because I don't want to tell you anything about it. Just it's a wonderful surprise if you haven't watched it, which I don't think anybody. I think there's like twelve people that watch Scavengers Rain.
Speaker 2: When it was HBO Max Situation, But now it's on Netflix, so go watch.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic one of the terminators. The voice of the main terminator apparently will be Timothy Olifant.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you watch the dum which.
Speaker 1: Raises the question, Rosie, who kills more characters? A flat out terminator voiced by Timothy Oliphant or Timothy Olifan as Raylan Gibbons. Definitely Raylan gives you know, Raylan Gibbons, shout out to the Marshall, Raylan Gibbs, that guy shot two people a week, that at least.
Speaker 2: At least please that man doesn't take his gun away.
Speaker 1: Stop shooting everyone, please. Next, The Rigs of Power Season two obvious prime video. Here's the synopsis. Uh set in Middle Earth second Age, thousands of years before the events of the Lord of the Rings books, The season follows the Dark Lord Surahon and Sexy sal On his strength Sexy Sexy Souron as he rebuilds his strength and creates more Rings of Power to control no more people of Middle Earth.
Speaker 3: Saren has returned. I want to see Sexy Soury's hotter than ever.
Speaker 2: He's hotter than ever. I love Gladrielle. I was a big fan of the first season of this show.
Speaker 3: I do think it's quite hilarious.
Speaker 2: Though, where they're like, you know, guys, you gotta you gotta watch this next season because he's gonna be making more rings. He's gonna be I'm like, guys, really, I'm like that's yeah, he's gonna be making some more rings.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: But yeah, all female team of directors this season, which I think is really cool and I am ready to see some more rings getting made. Also, our favorite singing character from Lord of the Rings has been revealed.
Speaker 1: Done done, Tom Bombernill he's here and Tommy Lee he's gonna be doing some singing.
Speaker 2: I hope we get a musical episode. One of my favorite things about the show last season was the Hobbit, so I'm hoping we get some Hobbit action.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm sure it will be a fun show that costs.
Speaker 2: More money than the GDP of like a small country.
Speaker 1: Big Tom Bombs said, how dare you cut me out of the Lord.
Speaker 2: Of the Rings films? I got you singing. He got his agent to call them up. He was like, I gotta have at least one song an episode.
Speaker 1: I'm ready and let's go quick fire through the rest of the upcoming series. Star Trek Prodigy season two on Netflix Monday, July.
Speaker 3: First, Love that good for them.
Speaker 1: Exploding Kittens animated series premiere on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Even though they were making now, okay, wait a minute, Marvel's hit Monkey season two.
Speaker 3: I say, had no idea.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe Marvel's hit Monkey Guy the second season, but shouts everybody involved and I'm.
Speaker 3: Good for you for getting paid. I am proud of you.
Speaker 2: This is the lost vestiges of Marvel TV as it used to be known.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I hope all the anime has got paid a ton of money.
Speaker 3: Love that for you, guys.
Speaker 1: Snow Piercer season four, July twenty first, the final season.
Speaker 2: Wow, still good good. I'm glad you're all employed and.
Speaker 1: Super excited about this. And it could only happen in Affel TV plus, where they threw millions and millions and millions and millions of dollars into bottomless bits. Time Bandits the adaptation of Terry Gilliams one film.
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 2: I believe this is a Taiko W. T. T. Jermaine Clement team up.
Speaker 1: Love Time Bandits.
Speaker 3: Futurama season twelve.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing Tody got paid for that one, so big got Cody, Big Up the characters in Futurama. Big up the fact that animation is still getting made.
Speaker 3: Love this for everyone.
Speaker 1: Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series premiere Friday, August ninth, on the on the streaming play that form currently known as Paramount Plus that who knows if that will exist also in two years, but it's still Paramount Plus for now.
Speaker 2: How soon do you think that that is going to be like that's on Netflix, because I feel like now everything's just ending up on Netflix, so I feel like shortly, I'm excited for this. I think it looks great. I love the Ninja title, so thank you for more Ninja titles.
Speaker 1: Solar Opposite Season five, Hulu, Monday, August twelfth.
Speaker 2: Huge smash for Hulu if you haven't watched this kind of sci fi Rick and Morty esque like comedy. When I was writing a big animation piece for IGN, I learned that it's like one of their biggest shows. So again, good for those animators. I hope you're all getting paid.
Speaker 1: Here it is, folks, the long awaited Agatha all along.
Speaker 2: It's had twenty names, and it was all to do a joke that the name was Chie Agatha all along and.
Speaker 1: I love that September eighteenth, just in time for Halloween.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping that this is like a crazy, incredible, amazing show and we can just lose our minds about it because I feel like one division was such a a high point and I would love if it even captured a little bit of that strange magic.
Speaker 3: And the cast is incredible. I can't wait for it.
Speaker 2: And last, but not least, I made sure this was I made sure this was on here because it is. It's hard to put into words what this show is. Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder. They've made an animated series for Netflix. It took them about five years to make. It's called Twilight of the Gods. It looks like a cartoon saloon movie, but it is like an R rated hardcore There are threesomes, there are people's heads getting chopped off, like there is a main character who never wears a shirt and her boobs are just out the whole time. This is a crazy show and I can't wait for people to see it because it really is like proof that we are in like an adult animation wave in America that we kind of have never seen before. And the fact it got made is kind of a miracle, I feel like, so I'm very interested to see where people land on it.
Speaker 3: And the cast is great.
Speaker 2: You got like Rool Cahuli, There's a bunch of other great people. It's got a hands in a score because the Netflix timeline. So yeah, I mean, just like a crazy summer of TV.
Speaker 1: Just absolutely com up next Acoly.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's get into it. On the planet Kofar the Wookie Jedi kow Knacker. Love him going about his cool undercut business. I don't know why he has an undercut. He's just a trendy guy, so he lives.
Speaker 1: He's a very trendy They were more trendy during the they.
Speaker 3: Were more steazy, you know, they were not just.
Speaker 2: Like and he was like, I'm just gonna get some head tattoos. So he's he's doing some cool stuff. And then we go into his house and shot horror on his wall.
Speaker 3: He has the witches kind.
Speaker 2: Of spider in Sydney. Is he a magic force us? Does he care about the witches or did he keep it as a trophy because he's like a crazy psycho and he killed them all.
Speaker 1: I think he cares about the Force. I think he cared about the witches. He and Osha had that kind of bonding connection. He is more, you know, the Wookies are more connected to the natural realm. And I think he's a he's a Have you ever seen a wookie be like a piece of ship.
Speaker 3: Like that? He's not a serial killer.
Speaker 2: On chrusson good News, Jackie's back, Love Jackie, Jackie, we missed you. She's training with other Padawans as Osha watches on, and I have to say, I feel like they're really leaning into the ship here. These two have very good.
Speaker 3: Chemistry, you know. Don't you miss me?
Speaker 2: You know? And I was just like, I'm ready to go. I learned that my sister's alive. I clear my name, I'm innocent. Let me go back to being a funny mechanic in the Trade Republic. And she is goodbye to Jackie because clearly there's something between them, but she doesn't want to say goodbye to Saul. She's like, I don't want to do it. If I say goodbye to him, I'm gonna end up stay that. That's too much, it's too much. On Kofar, Kaimer and may have arrived and Kaymer.
Speaker 3: Is like, oh yeah, don't worry.
Speaker 2: I just I know it so well here because like I really care about you, and you know, I came here to like just specifically so you could find the Wookie kal Naka. And they have a very interesting conversation about what Kaimer did or didn't do to be indebted to the Master. So we'll talk a little bit about that well, because I.
Speaker 1: Mean, here's where we here's where we put it out on Front Street. It feels increasingly possible that Kimeer is the big bag is the Master.
Speaker 2: Right, there's definitely hints, more so than in any other episode. And I will say people in our discord, people on the internet since the first episode, they were like, this is some drunken master stick, Like he's just pretending he doesn't know what's going on so he can kind of guide her without her being able to finger him as the Master.
Speaker 1: You know, it's very Palpatine.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, man, I dropped the bed as we arrived on the planet and oh I got caught in this Wookie track.
Speaker 2: I'm so silly and I'm drunk. Interestingly, May is like May and Kymer are talking about how the Wookie kown Knacker he has been living in this deep ass forest and he hasn't been heard from from a year. So let's be real. This man has a guilty conscience. I will say, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like there's something there, So I love I love you just calling him as his complete name, the Wookie Count.
Speaker 3: He's a Wookie Jedi. We gotta respect. H yeah, yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Kaimer then says something to May that I'm sure he's gonna regret later an episode. But he's like, look, just because Oshan is alive, it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't change anything. You made a deal. You got to kill the Jedi.
Speaker 2: And also like, how would you do that? How would you kill a Jedi without the Force force choke? You know?
Speaker 1: And by the way, obviously it's very hard. It would be very hard.
Speaker 2: But like you could, you could totally do you specifically, I don't want to say anything, but and so this is those two are on their little journey and at the Jedi Temple. Wow, we get a big reveal here. Fans call him lumpy Head. His real name is kai Ade Monday and he is a fan fave dark Horse Comics character turned prequel fave.
Speaker 3: He's literally on the front of.
Speaker 2: Like every dark Horse nineties Star Wars comic love to see his big lumpy head.
Speaker 3: He is working with Vernon Soul and they're watching.
Speaker 2: A hologram of May fighting, and interestingly I didn't really catch the first time I watched this episode, I was like, oh, yeah, they know it's me.
Speaker 3: But in this one they're.
Speaker 2: Like, she was trained by a Jedi. Venestra's like, I've seen that fighting star before.
Speaker 3: She was trained by a Jedi. This is not this is not anything else.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: This is helped. So does that mean that May's master is an ex Jedi? And it would make sense with what we know?
Speaker 1: I think so. Also, Vinestra continues to be on listen the optics around this terrible dude. She's like, pa, can't we can't tell the Jedi Council. First of all, when did the Jedi Council stop keeping secrets?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm like, please, this is a I love the I love the Higher Public era, I love the Jedi, and I love this show for showing that the Jedi is really just the shit show, Like they're trying their best, but like, what do you do in this situation? So I another shady Jedi move. Vanestra's like, you ain't going. This is like you got a problem, Yeah, you're too much, you can't. But then Soul's like, ah, but like she's not gonna give herself up, and if you kill her then we won't know about her. Master, just let me use Osha. Vanestra's like, do you have something she wants? And they're like, yeah, we've got Osha. I'm not a fan of that, Soul. I think it's a bad idea on kofa. Kimra and May are still trying to work out how to kill a Jedi with a weapon. May laments the fact her sister is Jedi scum, which I think is very interesting because she's rolling, you know, because her sisters roll them into Jedi, but she's not wearing those cloaks. May, you should know the difference. And also, just you guys, just make up your sweet Twin Force babies.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be fine. Your hoard rejoice. He's back.
Speaker 2: He's bossing everyone around as usual.
Speaker 1: I like him. I will say I've grown, he's grown on me, and I have a take on your Tord. He is a copse of course, yes, he's one of the most police officer Jedi we've ever seen. But he is the good app like, yeah.
Speaker 2: He is, he's doing he's doing it for the ideal.
Speaker 3: He's doing it for the idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is the one who read the manual and like, we got this is how we do it by the book. Don't we have to do it this way? Don't we have to follow rules? Am I gonna say?
Speaker 3: I respect it? You know what he's trying to respect?
Speaker 1: I respect it.
Speaker 2: And Charlie Barnett, who plays him, is so good that I understand why the exist. Plus everyone loves like a funny, weird, awkward character, and YOURD is extremely awkward.
Speaker 3: So he's bossing everyone around.
Speaker 2: But in even more important news, we've got a new addition to the team and his name is Basil. He's a cheeky little rodent alien. He's already inspired a fandom. It's called the Basil Battalion. I am a member, and I want to say thanks to the Your Toward Discord channel for a welcoming us into this specific funny character fandom so kindly as they are allowing in our discord. Basil Battalion posts this week in the yourd Hord channel, So.
Speaker 3: If you want to join, you want to be in love with these things.
Speaker 2: These weird characters that probably are in the show for five minutes join our discord. Speaking of Basil, he warns the Jedi about something in the forest, specifically large bulbous growths on trees, and the team survives thanks to Saul just dropping that in half, and in a big moment for Osha that again kind of ties back to her sister and also to this idea of the force and how it manifests. She realizes that now she's kind of opened her mind again. She can sense animals and living beings.
Speaker 3: She sensed the bug and then the bug attacked and the bug.
Speaker 2: Died, and she's feeling guilty about it, but it's all good.
Speaker 3: Kaimer keeps leading May.
Speaker 2: On his suspicious little forest adventure, being much the Jack Sparrow esque like I'm a.
Speaker 3: Pirate, what am I doing? I'm just I'm just mute, like I don't know what could happen.
Speaker 2: And I think it's really interesting here because we're kind of seeing obviously, if Kimeer is the Master, then he's playing May. But what I think is interesting about May is like they're so far away from any kind of like Sith law or Sith appearances that they can't even like comprehend force choking, which is like such a huge part of what we know and sort of the way the Jedi fight, And it's very interesting to kind of be in this new era where they don't even have a context for what that would be.
Speaker 1: Of course, that's very interesting.
Speaker 2: Kimer is like, brou, I just need to go and get you some water.
Speaker 3: You're too tired.
Speaker 2: You can't do this, like you're never She's like, I can't do it. It's impossible. It's a lesson. The lesson is you can't do it. He's like, Bait, just I'm gonna get you some water. Don't worry about it. You got And then you hear May screaming and you're like, oh no, what happened to May? I hope nothing bad happened. It was a trap. She laid a trap for Kaime. He's trapped in that Wookie trap. Leaving, She's like, fuck you, I don't care that you came here and you helped me out with all this. She's like, my only loyalty to my sister, not your master, not the dark side or the light side. I'm gonna snitch on myself and I'm gonna give up the Master and the Jedi is gonna let me back in.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the Jedi, they are.
Speaker 2: On Kofar and they are not doing as well as May and Kimeer. They're struggling to keep track of Basil.
Speaker 3: Lol.
Speaker 2: Why is he always wandering off? That's like what we learn about him. They're like, they're like, oh, not again. I'm like, why did you bring him on the mission.
Speaker 1: He's so many rich sens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just just sniffing for some truffles, guys. Yeah, So interestingly, OSHA's like, I don't know if I'm ready to face May, and he's like, you won't face me, You'll be facing You're past.
Speaker 3: We both will. She's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why can we come clean? Read what is going? He's like, I will.
Speaker 2: Come clean once we get to the ship and we get May safely there. I'm gonna tell you everything sounds ominous and probably untrue, but sure Basil, we were just dragging him. Said he was sniffing around, but you know what he finds May and he does a very loud scream, and you realize that's why they bring him on this trip, so he can alert them to things that they need, and May heads to kal nakas. She makes it there, but heartbreakingly, as she enters the Wookie kar Naka's home in hopes of confessing her sins and her crimes and basically being able to reunite with her sister, she discovers.
Speaker 3: He is dead.
Speaker 2: He's dead, slain by somebody with a glowing red lightsaber. Rip Wokie kal Naka, we barely knew you now. I just have to say this character is so cool that I'm kind of hoping this is like a fake out, like he faked his own death.
Speaker 3: But I don't know why he would do that. I'm like, I just don't I don't want him to do.
Speaker 1: He seemed pretty dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sad that he died. And as the episode comes to it end, the Jedi surround the house.
Speaker 3: You is doing some very your dish talking.
Speaker 2: And May come out here, Me and Asiah come out of that house. Nobody's really wondering why the Wookie hasn't come out yet. I feel like they're not thinking, well, May is obviously going to be found guilty if they go into this house and see the dead Wookie. But luckily they're distracted because as they stand outside waiting for the masked Master with his little zipper face, as Aaron so perfectly called him, he kind of baffles the Jedi. He sneaks up on them. They don't realize he's their only Osha realizes as she turns around, but even then she's.
Speaker 3: A bit too late.
Speaker 2: He stares very deep well, they stare very deeply into Oshana's eyes before kind of flinging them into the forest. And then they force fling all the Jedi who light up those cool light different colored high Republic lightsabers, and boom, coming to a closed credits roll. You ain't getting that fight scene this episode. That's what they said.
Speaker 3: They said you bear weight till episode five.
Speaker 1: I will say this episode felt uniquely. It was the not the worst, no no, but it was the most incomplete episode of this of the series yet. It definitely felt like a part one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really does. Right. I'm very interested.
Speaker 1: Because there was a lot of like woods bumbling around and unnecessary.
Speaker 2: It's very I mean in that way, it's very like a Kisawa like hidden fortress, Like it's.
Speaker 3: Definitely taken from those things.
Speaker 2: But I still want to know, you know, when Disney shares screens with the press, you know, we talk about this like they usually share just the chunk, and that's usually because they don't want you to know what's gonna happen in the second half of the season.
Speaker 3: But I'm really.
Speaker 2: Interested to see if we will get like a Leslie Headland Russian Doll style big swing for episode five that kind of reframes everything we know.
Speaker 1: Well, here, let's let me throw out a couple of options for who is the person behind.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, let's that that can be.
Speaker 1: Who is the person and because to your point with the big Leslie henlet big swing, big weird stuff, So here's option one. It's Kimer.
Speaker 3: Obviously.
Speaker 1: The way that the zipper face bad bad guy like floats down to the trees suggests further that it could be Kimer, who was tied up in the trees whence last we saw you.
Speaker 2: He's incredibly very similar, He's incredibly powerful. This is probably not apprentice Sith. This is somebody who knows that business if they can be force floating.
Speaker 1: Kimier always seems to be around when the Master is around, although not and you don't see them together.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen him in the same room.
Speaker 1: We've never seen them in the same room. And also Kimer seems to be driving a lot of knows a lot about the Master's plans.
Speaker 3: He gave me the poison to kill Toby.
Speaker 1: Gave me the poison, is driving a lot of May's actions. Okay, so it's Kymer option two to the Leslie Headland weird stuff. Notably, we also don't see May with I know I have considered it. Also, May is like inside in what it like feels like a very like, uh, a potential like split personality kind of thing where her personality is fractured and maybe she she is not aware of herself as this person that there's also that.
Speaker 2: I do like that as like a super weird one. Also, I think, like early on my real thought had been in the first episode was like, maybe there's not twins. Maybe they're just one person and there's different sides to them, right, or the idea that what the Jedi did when they went there was they actually put all of the dark Side. They specifically did something to make May like a representation of the dark Side, And so I would think that would be a cool twist, an unexpected twist. Maybe there's a Tripler. I don't know that would be a very lifetime style twist. Okay, so people in the Discord had been putting soul forward, but he is there.
Speaker 3: With the Jedi.
Speaker 2: So unless he's like force puppeteering the character, I don't think so Venestra the High Republic fans would be mad. But she's not there.
Speaker 1: She's not there either, and she continues to be extremely shady and clearly knows more about what's going on. I've seen Mother carel Mother.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I like the thought that another part of the coven survived, and maybe is this person, although using a lightsaber would seem to say no. And also the mother chral thing. I said this before, it feels like racist towards dathamri.
Speaker 2: Are you like, just because she's got those horns, you're blaming her?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they look evil, and and they've had a very famous evil members. He is notoriously evil. But just because they look evil doesn't mean that they're the bad, right. But maybe I like the idea of it being one of the Covent But I think all signs at this point unless it's something really mind blowing and weird. Point to Kimer, I agree.
Speaker 2: Also, let's let's put out so that other there's other options. Someone we don't know at all, which I think a lot of people in our discord on the internet would be.
Speaker 3: They're kind of into that.
Speaker 2: It seems unlikely Star Wars likes to be connected. But I think the idea, uh, someone we do know but haven't seen yet, like someone from the Cannon or the law or the world. I mean some people have even been talking about, you know, as I call him dath Plagius, but as our discord wishes, I called him darth Plaguious with the hard g darth plague us because he's a plague. Could it be him, I don't know, but he could have been the one who taught the witches how to make it's life.
Speaker 1: The person seems extremely powerful. He's extremely powerful. Then the Jedis are ready for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm very interested to see where they go. But at the moment, I think Kaimera is our best bet. But we'll see what is episode five gonna be. I hope episode five is either a massive battle episode with the Lightsabers, or I hope episode five is May's version of what happened the night that the fire occurred, because I feel like there's a very rational tinged potential there of somebody of what may experience, and that would kind of open the second half of the season to being a little bit more transparent about whatever the central.
Speaker 3: Mystery of, like what did the Jedi do?
Speaker 1: So that can I make it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Please rip Yord will go to meet the Lord. I think Ord, if you just looking at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the only good.
Speaker 1: He he it feels like he's gonna get got Wow.
Speaker 3: Sorry to the yourd Hord. He's going to see the Lord.
Speaker 1: Sorry to the Hord.
Speaker 3: I hope he's joining the guy.
Speaker 2: Have grown on me, But yeah, he's he's a he's a charming, awkward little fellow.
Speaker 3: But I could see that, and.
Speaker 2: He does have a great connection with Osha, so that would be a good tragic Ton. But yeah, we'll have to wait and see what happens next week on the Accolyte episode five. This is officially halfway through the season.
Speaker 7: Guys, Yeah, coming in, Hey guys, Okay, so we wanted to get your reaction to some news based off of the final segment we have in here. Uh like literally five minutes ago. Alamo Draft House has been acquired by Sony Pictures and Entertainment all thirty five locations across twenty five cities. It's still gonna be run by the current CEO. Uh, they're not changing anything. They announced the move as an opportunity to bolster their anime site, Crunchy Role.
Speaker 2: Oh oh my god, that's insane.
Speaker 3: So they're just, oh my gosh, Okay, so.
Speaker 1: This is that way they closed. This is why they closed all the a bunch of theaters in Texas.
Speaker 2: Five of them were closed down by the franchise holders, and the whole company is like bankrupt, so it doesn't surprise me. But this is kind of blowing my mind because also I get invited to a lot of Crunchy Role movie premieres right and I love to go to them and see anime. But most of those movies will only.
Speaker 3: Get like a few days release.
Speaker 2: So I guess they could base if they see this as a way to bolster Crunchy Role, they could essentially be doing like a a Haiku wide release at every animent rock house. But I mean, this is really wild because people have been hoping that it would get bought by somebody, But I don't know if they were hoping it would get bought by a studio.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's all kind of crazy now because Amazon, I think brought the arc light if I'm not mistaken, And so now that the and I.
Speaker 2: Did not know that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we said these laws with the pairmountccords, I think is what they were called, where they were like, hey, you can't be a studio and also purchase theaters for distribution because you know, monopolies. But those got overturned.
Speaker 1: So now I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well Netflix was actually the first one, I think because they bought the Egyptian mm hmm. And that's that's now because now I will say in that case, you know, very much a drill tweet here where you like you don't have to hand it to Netflix, but in this case I will hand it to Netflix. They have done a good job where they do premiers there they do programming, but they have let the American Cinematique still program a lot of really great stuff. I've been to see Batman returns there. I've they've been doing these studio ghibli all day marathons that have been really incredible.
Speaker 3: I don't the vibes of it are a bit too bougie now.
Speaker 2: It used to be great when it was kind of a Rundown Old Rep Theater, but they have done a good job of balancing that programming. So I wonder if I wonder how so, I wonder if Sony's gonna kind of follow that that ruling of Like the Alamo Draft Houses is really like a cult cinema place.
Speaker 3: That's where I went to go.
Speaker 2: And see the Clones of Bruce Lee documentary. I did a Yeah, it was generally like it.
Speaker 1: I think that there's I think it's pretty good. I think it's also like the it's the where movies are going because like you have to, you have to provide extra value to get people to the movie theater now, and so how do you do that? Yeah, and Alamo Draft Food.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing is the food is actually really good there this, but the cinemas are quite small. I'm definitely interested in this too, because Alamo Draft House has a lot of connections within these like movie communities and.
Speaker 3: Indie movie communities.
Speaker 2: I'll be very interested to see if those are able to continue Undertood.
Speaker 7: I think it's gonna say the same given that they said they're gonna keep the CEO and in this intact, so the person who's running it still running it. Uh, they're keeping open all the theaters for now least, fingers crossed. None of those are closing except the ones they closed last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right on those, so hopefully hopefully it's better. Yeah, I'm sure completely unrelated to the to the takeover was closing, just like, not at all connected, no.
Speaker 2: Matter, I know, I'm definitely I'm definitely always suspicious of the studios, and honestly, like, well.
Speaker 1: I think it was actually smart of them to go, hey, we're going to close these, but you should close them and then.
Speaker 2: We'll buy Yeah yeah, yeah, exactly because maybe they don't want franchisees orever. I'm very interested to see how this goes, because, for example, the Egyptian buyout right made a lot of sense. It's on Hollywood Boulevard, it's a huge space. Netflix can run screenings that The Acolyte d I mean The Acolyte.
Speaker 3: The Alamo Draft House.
Speaker 2: La Cinema is like in a mall in downtown LA.
Speaker 1: We're parking situation.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Every time I'm in there, I feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode and I will just be driving up a spot.
Speaker 3: For my whole life.
Speaker 1: Situation.
Speaker 2: It's it's not very big. I've actually done multiple events there, and I have to say I hope Sony is able to keep the A twenty four aspect there because I have eaten a lot of great I have eaten a lot of great free food at Alamo draft Hoouse screenings of A twenty four movies. But also I did, like one of the coolest things I ever did was I did a Q and A for a movie called VH Yes that was made by Tim Robin's son, all filmed on VHS.
Speaker 3: It was really great put out by a Scilloscope.
Speaker 2: He's the one who's always doing funny videos about being an EPO baby where it's like his parents don't like him.
Speaker 3: It's very funny.
Speaker 2: But the thing was so great and it was like really full, and it was a premiere, but that was like ram packed for the premiere of an indie movie no one's ever heard of. So I don't really know that the La Alamo Draft House has the space to be doing like anime premieres and big movie premieres, but this is very interesting and I am like also calm, and I have to say this. Carmen says that she had that the Netflix Theater aka the Egyptian has been streaming from Amazon Prime, and if that is true, that is legit one of the funniest things I've ever.
Speaker 3: Heard, and I also believe it. I have seen many funny videos.
Speaker 2: Of people who've paid to go to REP screenings at like local theaters and then somebody's like logging into Amazon to.
Speaker 3: Like stream the movie at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Like, honestly, again, don't got to hand it to him, but in this case, I will hand it to Quentin Tarantino that the Vista and the New Beverly are like fucking amazing, and I go to them as much as I possibly can, always thirty five mail or seventy mil like, those are great REP spaces.
Speaker 1: I am the videos, Oh my gosh, yeah videos any American cinematy go to all of those places, and I'm very interested. I wonder, like we live in the center of.
Speaker 3: Oh no, we're very lucky. It's not like for everyone.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see what this strategy portends for Alamo draft Houses outside of the La bubble, and how that part of the strategy, how that part of it plays into the strategy. Because it's very it's very easy to say, like hero it makes a lot of sense as a as a way to streamline distribution and as part of the marketing and promo for events, et cetera. How what what that works for LA? But I have no idea what it means outside of LA. So, yeah, Mike Scott, be very interesting to see.
Speaker 2: My My dream is that it means that people are going to get to access great cinema outside of like obvious cultural hubs like LA.
Speaker 3: Let's see how that goes. I don't ever trust.
Speaker 2: The corporation, but it's interesting that they specify crunchy role because I'm just like, guys, the streaming is already so popular for crunchy role, Like, what does that look like?
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: I guess we're going to get to go and see a lot more anime at the cinema.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really Netflix versus Sony in that space.
Speaker 2: It's like those two Yeah, intriguo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In the next couple of episodes of X ray Vision, we are of course diving into House of the Dragon, continuing our conversations about the accolade, recapping every episode of those shows weekly for the durations of each respective series, and that second for this episode, Thanks for listening. Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason G. Sepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi
Speaker 3: On Disco Mota