Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to a very special edition of Wake and Jake. We are joined by the tribal chief Jared Carabbas Caribis, I always get nervous, man, that last nervous, that last moment before I say I was gonna say the C word. I always get nervous that I'm going to say it wrong.
Speaker 2: But well, Dave, my former boss, Yeah, he put it in everyone's minds the wrong way. Yeah, the right way is Carabas. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how you doing, man, I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: It's good to see you. It's good to talk to you. I just feel like it's been some time. We don't we don't get to talk ball like in person as often as I feel like we should.
Speaker 1: Dude, it felt like there was a little bit there when our stuff was getting going. It was like, oh, okay, yeah, we'll see him at the Eastern Event, We'll see him at Winter Meetings. We'll see and now, I don't know. I kind of want to end with that because we we did a little bit of that before we started recording, because you got some you got some life stuff going on. We got everything going on. But the first the first thing that's going on is how about the socks kid about and it's dude, it's it's so funny. I uh, I'll give you credit. You sent a very good text message yesterday. I texted you and I was like, Jared would love to have you on, want to talk some socks and allies. You didn't copy and paste, but you were like, I was just thinking I would love to come on Waking Jake and talk some socks and some allies. And then between that, you're star third base men.
Speaker 2: I don't know who you're talking about because we have two of those, right. Uh.
Speaker 1: Raphael Devers had an interview that I do think it's a little bit the spring training. Everyone's just thirsty for anything to chew on. But also with the personalities involved, Cora Devers pregnant.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The fun baseball content of the day was what's going on in the Red Sox hot corner? So let's get it out of the way.
Speaker 2: Devers, So, all right, So here's what I heard saying there. I was told that, and maybe this isn't isn't true, but I was told that he if Nolan Aronado was the move, let's say, hypothetically Bregman signs with the Cubs, the Red Sox pulled the trigger on a Nolan Arnado trade. I was told that if that scenario played out, the Devers was cool with moving off third base for Nolan Ronado. Okay, can't confirm it. That's just what I heard. Didn't hear anything about Bregman specifically, but it worked out where it's Bregman and not Nolan. So I'm thinking to myself, all right, uh, like I'm sure that, like once you know Devers is taking ground balls at third, and uh, Bregman's taking ground balls at third because he did today. I mean, you knew that even if he wasn't gonna be at third base when you're still gonna see him take grounders at third. So the Boston media is looking at this as well. People haven't paid attention to the Red Sox in quite some time, so let's let's stir some stuff up, Like, let's let's talk about it. I knew that the devor's moving off third having an issue with it narrative was going to be a thing, and I was trying to get out in front of it and be like, don't let this become a thing. Like if he was cool with moving off third for Nolan obviously he's gonna be fine with moving off third for Bregman, and then day one he shows up and he's like, Nope, not doing it, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Won't do it hard No, yeah.
Speaker 3: No, can you expand on that, like I played turf, so isn't a third decision though, Like, isn't it sucks decision? Or is it a mutual thing or cool?
Speaker 2: See because seem so confused too. He's like a mutual thing. No, no, no, it's it's my decision, right, I make the decisions around here, and that's what he said. So like Davison is the love him, great guy, but he left out the part. We didn't get to that part in the clip. But Chris Catillo Mass Live he's the reporter that said, you know, well, what if they just tell you that you're, you know, playing at d H instead the third and who isn't it their decision? And Devers actually says in Spanish like it's my decision, and that was not given in the translated response. So it's actually kind of a little bit worse than what was making the public rounds. But the way that I look at it is it's it's mid February and how often do we have drama that plays out in spring training that by the time Mother's Day rolls around, you're like, hey, remember when that was going on, Like that was crazy, right, Like it's just all water under the bridge at that point. I think this will be another one of those situations where like kra and RAFFI have such a great relationship where they're going to iron this out, whether or not that means that dev like at this point, I would guess Devers is the opening day third baseman, but I don't think he finishes the season at third base. I think they're gonna try to mix and match, where some days Bregman's at second, some days Bregman is at third. Some days maybe he Bregman's dhing I don't know, or maybe he has a day off because he's kind of like a reverse splitz guy. Maybe there's a lefty in the lineup and they go a different route. I don't know, but it's what seems kind of like a big deal right now. I think we'll iron itself out in due time.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the just fan dream? Is the fan dream? Like Rafi tips the hat, he goes to DH. Maybe there's a Yoshida trade at some point and roll the ball out there we figure it out.
Speaker 2: That would be the dream. Yeah, because I think like Masataki, Yoshida is for better or for worse, he's a fan favorite, like the fans love him, but I think the fans are also smart enough to know that there's no like he just doesn't fit. The Red Sox have already told you we don't want this guy to see the grass of the outfield ever again. For as long as he lives, he will not do that. But then they were kind of walking it back a few weeks ago at the fan fester saying no, well, actually we'll throw him out there, and it's like this is just a ploy to try to get a team to take him. Be like, no, he doesn't suck at defense. You can definitely put him in the outfield. It won't be bad. So the ultimate scenario to play out would be Bregman at third story at short Christian Campbell breaks camp with the Red Sox to play second costs us at first Raffi at DH and then you find somebody to take on Yoshidah's money, even if you have to eat a little bit. It's the same thing with you guys, and Stroman like, you just already have the starting pitchers and the rotation in place. If he, like Stroman doesn't fit in. You know, Cashman kind of backed him up. He's like, no, he's right, he is a start, So we have enough starters. We don't need him to start. So does anyone else want to take this guy? Like that'd be great, same thing like Yoshida can hit, but we just we have a better dh and his name is Raphaeldevers were paying him thirty million dollars. So the piece just doesn't fit at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if we're just gonna see because if if I said, you know, when was it last Thursday? If I said, hey, Jared, let's hop on the mics, the we probably would have opened with ohh Stroman. Look at some of these quotes, And now that's already gone and some got taken out of context. I wonder, with like the big teams in baseball, if we're gonna see more of the And I guess we do see it, but I think teams are just looking at it differently. Now that you know Jordan Montgomery was supposed to get traded Yoshidah Stroman, that you know we're already starting to get the injury round, like we got the Frankie Montas news today, where there's gonna be a lot we haven't started playing ball that there's gonna be a lot more that. Yeah. Man, it's so funny bringing up Yoshida's page after last year and it's like, well, so he landed in the same spot and like that that little booger can hit man. So they're everything's gonna figure itself out. But we're also bloodthirsty baseball fans that football's football is now done and now we're here. So I I'll put the Devers thing behind us, because I think it's gonna be behind us soon because he'll be out there. He'll be hitting off Cole. He'll be hitting off everyone very soon. Dude, how are you guys, Cause the socks are back.
Speaker 2: Socks are Like I'm still reluctant to go there, really, yeah, because like I don't know, it's like back to me means like one of the world Series' favorites, and right now I think it's like, yeah, they're back. In terms of when I do my predictions, like am I going to have them in the playoffs? Yeah? Yeah, But I don't want to be like a happy to be there fan, Like I don't want to be one of those. So back to me is when you've got fans of like the top of the top teams being like damn, like the Red Sox are like we should look out for the Red Sox this year. I don't know, Like what's the pulse, Like are Yankee fans looking at the Red Sox being like, oh, they're gonna be tough in the Al East this year? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I think there's one thing that should be thrown out there. The Dodgers should be like illegal just for right now, because a baseball kind of doesn't work that way, but they are that so if the Dodgers are aside in the American League, I if I'm not picking the Yankees, I think i'd pick the Red Sox. Like Houston lost Kyle Tucker and they're their parts in parts out is very interesting, like dude, you start jumping okay, Orioles probably deserve more love, Like how how quickly we've kind of snapped on them, Like if another.
Speaker 2: They're a dud offseason for them though, well.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. And but if a couple of their young guys like go again whatever, but also you're very much right, like they haven't won every any one over that, dude. The next team I jumped to is like Seattle finds another hitter. So if I'm already there, like yes, like Boston, Boston.
Speaker 2: Is here, And I mean, dude, Texas, do you like Texas?
Speaker 1: I like Texas. I think everyone's gonna like Texas. I think they should bounce back. And if Langford or Carter is there, like the Peterson signings underrated, but I don't know. I mean, even in their World Series year they were what eighty eight wins or something like that, So it's I very much like a lot of the pieces, but I don't could the Red Sox be that, I mean with with the top of their lineup now? And like what's Crochet? Is Crochet elite? Elite? Is he? Is he what he was last year which was really good in a couple blow ups, but he ran out of gas because he's young? Like dude, Yes, the Red Sox are back amongst the elite in the AL and that's kind of it sounds like dumb front off his baseball nowadays. But that's the goal is to just get there, not to get there, but like, okay, let's throw the Central under the bus a little bit. Like the Guardians have been getting there, the Twins have been getting there. But when you get in that five or seven game set, like you're feeling okay, You're like, let's not blow one early, but you're feeling okay that you know, the Yanks came back against the Guards down to nothing like I don't know, like the Red Sox with that lineup, the guys in that lineup, and it's gonna come back to the starting pitching and does Hawk take another step? Like if how can Crochet take another step? Then yes, absolutely, I'm.
Speaker 2: Letting you talk.
Speaker 1: Are you just baiting me there?
Speaker 3: What was? No?
Speaker 2: I'm letting you talk me into it because I think, like I'm with you on how I think. And I've been saying this because people were saying, oh, like you know the workload last year, do you think he's gonna be as good? And like I think he'll be better, Like I think he could be better, uh than he was in his All Star campaign last year. Crochet. It's to me because I mean he came out day one and was like yeah, like that innings limit. That was them, that wasn't me. He's like, I was ready to go. I would have thrown more pitches if they led me, but they didn't let me. So he was basically saying, yeah, the White Sox are dumbasses and they wouldn't let me pitch. So if you felt like he could, then okay, Like we'll see what that looks like this year. So I don't know, And then I think it's what's interesting about the Red Sox this year. I was just on a podcast yesterday, pod by the River, and one of the co hosts, Brady, made the point of who is the Red Sox or who is the projected Red Sox number one starter last year? And I was like, Lucas Giolito and he's like, where do you have him this year? It was like probably five, and he was like there you go, Like, you know your opening day starter last year is now you're number five starter. So that's You're in a pretty good spot from a rotation standpoint. The bullpen, you can take it or leave it. They don't have an established so weird having a role as chapman on my baseball team. Yeah, I like they haven't even played a game yet, and I already feel very strange. I don't even know what I'm gonna do, right, Like if he comes out and you know, punches out the side and Yankee state, like, I don't even know that I can celebrate. I kind of just have to celebrate the victory without acknowledging that he was the guy that did. I don't know. I feel like I I would be the biggest fraud in the world if I just all of a sudden it was like, yeah, my guy, Chappy, like I can't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm you know again, at the end of the show, I want to talk a little a little life. Yeah, but hey man, I I'm I'm a little happy that I'm not twenty four in this current Chappie situation because my guy, what I'd be doing on Twitter to Red Sox fans that really, you know, Chapman was the easiest target for a while and probably rightfully so that Yeah, that's one that's one I haven't fully gotten to yet because from the Yankee side, it's like, Okay, who's he gonna hit, Like that's gonna be a fun day. And then I guess I've just put it in the in the brain is like Red Sox have brought in the Socks have needed pitching, dude, and where all this. Chapman is a good left handed reliever. He struck out ninety something in sixty innings last year, Like he's still doing that, and I don't I don't know what's gonna happen back there, Hendricks, Chapman, you guy Slayton broke out last year with Locky the Red Sox the past couple of years because the Red Sox have also just earned a Dude, when summer kicks in in Boston, there's a beautiful thing to it. I know, I don't have to tell you, But when that city gets the juice and the team gets the juice and they call up whatever reliever has a gross beard and they got some some platoon guy that's going nuts, like the baseball energy happens in Boston and it is truly a beautiful thing that the past couple years have been Like can they get that? Can they find that they're going to have that this year? Man? Like they're they're going to have that? It's just what does what does all the sum of the Could Chapman be off this team? In June one thousand, percent. Could Chapman be pitching in the eighth inning of a playoff game one thousand percent? So that's I think that's the beauty and the fun of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I just I mean, a role as Chapman closing out playoff games for me is like my kind of nightmare where it's just like, yeah, man, you're back. You haven't been in the playoffs since twenty twenty one, but the fate of your entire life, your livelihood, falls in the hands of a role as Chapman, the man that you've just been crushing justifiably for the last I don't know what decade. When was that suspension seventeen eight, sixteen, sixteen sixteen, Yeah, so basically a decade. Like one of one of my most viral clips of all time is me just shitting on a roll of chap Man out here. He is. Have you ever crossed paths with him before?
Speaker 1: Not directly. Joe's also very strongly linked to a roll as Chapman, his probably biggest viral clip. Oh yeah, yeah, so they've they've always been. I mean, Joe's has an argument for the most interesting man in the world, but him and Chapman have always been like DM buddies and also just like a step past that, like I don't know, like it's it's a Latin guy connection and like they'll voice note each other and it's just like how it works that it would always be this weird thing that like we'd be talking about Chapman and Joe's would be like, yeah, we talked for a little bit the other day, and you'd just be like, what, like what neither neither of you should be talking to each other that. Yeah, No, me and me and BBD and all the other Yankee fans have felt the the the bad side of that experiment, especially in the postseason game, So I guess I understand your feelings there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, Like, out of all the trash that I've talked about him, I still don't know that he has any idea who I am, because I'm sure he gets it from all corners. I don't, like, I don't know how online he is. I mean the final like the al tuo Ve walk off in nineteen, like that was the clip that obviously went super viral, Like I remember Bill Burr was talking about it on his podcast, so if it crossed his dash, it would have been that. But I don't think that he would have been able to like see me in person and be like, oh, you're the guy from that video. I don't think that he would make the connection if I told him that I was like, Hey, I'm the guy from that video. I think, oh, you're that dude. But I don't think he would just like see me in the wild and be like that's him because I ran into him not this past offseason season before. He was at Pedro's charity event and we were standing right next to each other. And he's not a big guy, so he is a mountain up. He is a very large human being. But yeah, no, he didn't say anything to me. Nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet his internet algorithm. He he loves weightlifting, and like, doesn't he have a ton of white cars? Wasn't that a day in our office?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I don't know, he's like a whole white room in his apartment.
Speaker 1: Could be a good starting play for you guys. I mean, maybe you just leave it.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're probably gonna have to just leave it.
Speaker 1: Maybe it just leave that over there. I'm what's the what's the story that Red Sox people are talking about that the rest of Baseball would be interested in, Like, is it does? Trevor story is in a in a really interesting spot this year in my opinion, Like is it? I I don't know. I guess open form for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the most interesting story outside of the Devers drama today is I believe today was the deadline that Vladdie Junior gave the Blue Jays to extend him or not. Yes, And as far as I've seen, that hasn't happened. And if he does not sign that extension with the Blue Jays, word on the street is that the Red Sox are going to be all in on Vlatty Junior. So what does that mean for a guy like Tristan Cassis Because these rumors were going on before Bregman was even in the fold, so before it was like all right, if that were to happen, you signed Vlatty to play first, then Cossas is your DH and like, don't I don't even know what you do? Like you basically have to trade Tristan Cossas now if you sign Vladdy Junior. I don't see Alex Bregman opted out of forty million dollars next year, So if you're still going to be the team that's all in on Vladdie. Then I don't know. I think that that that Like are you watching the last season of Tristan. I mean they tried to trade them multiple times this past winter, so it's not like it would come as a surprise if the Red Sox traded Cassus. But I don't know how that would work, Like do you trade him first and then sign Flatty you don't want to sign Vlatty and then have the teams be like, well, we know, like we have the leverage now we know that you need to trade them. So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I well, if that happens, you guys will be happy. But I just think I think you guys have it and I don't know what the next steps are. But like the Bragman opting out thing is funny. If Alex Bregman opts out, that means this year went very well for you guys. That means Alex Bragman went nuts this year, and maybe he will. At Fenway. We've seen, I mean Tyler O'Neill, we've seen like the past couple of years. If you're righty and you get the salt, you get that Boston Sama kid that if Braggy gets that then yeah, but I don't know. I think they're gonna let this play out because we talked about the corner infields slash second base with Bregmann moving moving chairs, talked about they got prospects on the way man, that I don't the Red Sox are set up that I think they're gonna let baseball happen and whether that's injuries and okay, story gets banged up another another time, then all right, then we need a full nother plan because that's not working. That they've got the prospect capital, they've got the talent on the field that like all the plans have now come together together, giving time some time, like that group of prospects are here. They've invested in some players that I don't know, man, I guess I you know, I respect the calm, cool, collected nature of it. But I think looking around the al, Boston's Boston's the scariest team right now, which the previous times that's happen opened in are like Yankees' existence. It's been bad news for the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if you were to draw comparison right now, I think the twenty twenty five Red Sox are most comparable to the twenty eighteen Braves because that team that cor didn't went and they they won it without a Kunya. But like, they didn't win their World Series until twenty twenty one, but when they started calling up the kids in eighteen and they were like, oh man, like everyone knew how good the Braves were going to be, right, but then they were kind of good right away and they were early, so their window had opened much sooner than I think a lot of fans anticipated, but inevitably they didn't get their championship until like three years later. I think that you could see something like that with the Red Sox this year. Like you signed Bregmant into a con it's three years, it's forty million a year, but there's opt outs after every year, so theoretically it could be a one year, forty million dollar like contract. You don't do something like that unless you're trying to win the World Series that year. So yeah, Like I think the Red Sox could fall ass backwards into an ALCS like they did in twenty twenty one, Like no one thought that team was, you know, a World Series contender coming off of they always come off horrendous seasons and then it's like World Series, you know, like in what was it in twenty twelve, they were horrendous, then they won the World Series in thirteen, and then they were back to back last place teams fourteen fifteen. Then they hauled off three straight division titles with a World Series title at the end. So that's just what happens. Like they were horrendous in twenty twenty, and then they've kind of just fell ass backwards into the ALCS in twenty twenty one. I I could see something like that where you know, they they lose in six in the ALCS or something like that, just because they caught fire and they have young kids who don't know any better. They've got Bregman, a guy who's been there, done that, and has a history of what He's never not played in the playoffs. He's playing in the playoffs every year of his big league career, so that matters. Like that stuff, That stuff counts. So yeah, that's why I'm comfortable with putting them in the playoffs if they don't win the World Series. I'm not like, man, like we fell short of the goal, you know, Like I think the goal is win, just like have a winning season. It's been it's been years since even just having a winning season.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, that's that's fair about the World Series next week too, because it's it's not And I guess that's a little bit that has me more scared because a Boston team that gets to play truly with their hair on fire, that's when.
Speaker 2: And dude, I don't know nothing to lose.
Speaker 1: You're you're talking about Chapman coming in. I'm I'm thinking about whatever Matt Blake reliever project is coming in and it's like, hey, go get Devers and Bregman in the eighth. Like I just I've seen that story, seen that story a lot in the past couple of years. It hasn't been as scary, just with how the division has played out. And I just think I think there's gonna be a few of those at bats this year, which will be exciting. And that's ah, it's good for the game, Jared, And that's what we are. We are the Shield. What do you uh? What else in the Al East? What do you think people need to be talking about it? Is it like the post hype Orioles?
Speaker 3: Are?
Speaker 1: Is there any rays fear anymore. Did the Blue Jays do something?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess, I guess we can kind of talk a little bit about the Blue Jays and how they tried. Like you bring in Max Scherzer, Tony Tatters, you give him what five years, and Vlatti's still here. You didn't move off of him, which is interesting to say the least. I mean, you didn't get the extension done. Maybe maybe they thought they were going to, but it just didn't work out that way. I don't know. I don't know what they're a line of thinking was. But he's still there, Ken Bobaschet bounce back. I believe he can. I think that he still has like an eight hundred ops ish season in him. Whether or not that amounts to a winning record, I mean, at the end of the day, it should. Like I think I picked the Blue Jays last year to win the division. I'm pretty sure I did, like just based on their rotation. Yeah, but we're also looking at a team that if they're not in it by the deadline, Vladdy's gonna be a piece for somebody, you know, like that's gonna be that might be the crown jewel of the trade deadline is Vladdie if the Blue Jays aren't in it.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, the Blue Jays are interesting because they they also they brought in Andres Jimenez, so it's like they they have a weird the second half of their lineup scary, but they also have guys that are gonna contribute in Jimenez and Kirk that like our show. I know he's out to start the year, but like those guys' floors because they're so good. Defense is like three war seasons. So if one of those guys has a year offensively, Santander, man, how long have they been looking for that? Like we were talking about the top of that lineup for years. Get Get the Lefty. And they kind of put their chips on on var show, which was kind of just like, Hey, I think Varshow's a nice player, but I don't think he's gonna break up Bashett vlad Springer.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I think the Blue Jays they just need a good two months, man, because if they don't, you're right like people, Vladdie's the dream chip at the deadline that they'll get a ton of offers. I think Bassett's on his final year. Bashett like they could if they want to reach the house, if they want to retool this thing, they can. With how the Wildcards set up, this team should be around it, and I think they're gonna end up in Unfortunately, this is a sad comparison for them. I think they're gonna be in the same camp as the Angels with show hey like, hey, we're kind of near it and this could be our last year with Vlad, like let's do it, and hey, I hope the angel The Angels are rarely the example. They're usually the bad example. That maybe that could be different for Toronto because I do maybe I get too romantic with the old pitchers, but like I see, you know, Bassett Barrios, like, let's let's put together, let's put together a season. Boys that I I don't know. I guess for me, I wonder how worried I should be about them just in the division, because you.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't want to sleep on them. I'm certainly not sleeping on them. I think. I think when when you have a kind of like season rollover expectations, that's where you kind of get in trouble a little bit. It's like, oh, well they were bad last year, so they'll be bad this year. Well, no, they're a different team this year and you don't know how it's gonna play out, and they might have that same mentality that you were just talking about, where it's like, hey, guys, like we're seeing the writing on the wall here.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The people baseball fans were looking at like the Legacys as a window and people were very excited about it, and there were some postseason berths. There was there a run. I don't think you could say that there was a run like there was no like maybe twenty twenty one was that one year where like the regular season run was exciting, Like I think they came up on like the they came up short on the very last day and didn't get in. But this is it, you know, like they the veterans in that room might be looking around saying, this is our last shot. And that's motivating to a lot of different guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you wonder it's the cool stuff we still want in sports, Like sures are being in that locker room like that should matter, you know, and I hope it does, Like I hope, I hope it's June fifth and the story that comes out as like you know why, Max Sure's there's the reason the Blue Jays are in it this year because they're still there's still something fun about it, like when Butchet's balling out and again the Tony Taters factor, man, like that was forty four last year. Yeah, yeah, like I you kind of alluded to it. There's a little bit, there's a little bit of like not wanting it to work for the Orioles just because they're not doing it the fun way, like right, like Corbyn Burns and Santander left and they're just like all right, Sugan Charlie Morton, Yeah, come out there and twirl it like yeah, And I don't know, I think they do have smart people running their team that maybe they haven't figured out. But I kind of hope the people running Toronto have more than we think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like at least at least when you have the legacy J's window. The Blue Jays tried like they they wanted Wan Soto, they wanted Shoho Tani. They just couldn't get anyone to take their money. Now you have the Jackson Holiday era of the Baltimore Orioles, and yeah, like they've pretty much hit on everyone who's who's come up, But what have you done to supplement this team? Like I gave him a ton of credit for the Corbyn Burns trade, but did you extend him? No, And I don't think that. I don't even put that on the Orioles because from everything that was out there, there's no chance he was. He would have rather pitched on the Moon than on the East coast of the United States. So yeah, Like, I don't totally fault them for not keeping Corben Burns there, But what else did you do? Like did you did you go get Max free? Like did you try to get Blake Snell? Like I that's where you know, you walk away from with all the hype, all the prospects, and you lose your ace and you replaced him with Like how old is Charlie Morton now forty one fifty?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, Charlie Morton wanted to retire five years ago and he was too good. Yeah, the Braves kept paying him and he's like, well, shit, I guess I guess I got to bree this. Yeah, for until age thirty, I didn't think I was going to stick in the league. And now he's had an amazing over.
Speaker 2: The second half that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're Uh, I haven't done it this offseason yet. It's one of my favorite games to play, is like when you put the off seasons on paper and you're right, like the Corbyn Burns you can't because he wanted to go there. But you know that Tyler O'Neill, Charlie Morton, Sugano could that have been one Max Freed and someone else? And that's It's just it's interesting, like how should we be talking about it when I don't know, is Charlie Morton gonna give us another dog season? And we're like, okay, maybe the Orioles are half smart, but that's the beauty of this time of year.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that Charlie Mooreon can't give you a good season, but is he gonna give you a cobn Burns would have gave you? I don't think so. I don't think so would have been a little disappointed. If I'm an Orioles fan, Who's who should be more disappointed? Orioles fans or Mariners fans.
Speaker 1: They didn't do Mariners thousand Mariners. They're doing the same game plan that hasn't come close to work.
Speaker 2: Now they they so I get it, Like similarly to Corbyn Burns, where he was just determined to pitch on the West Coast and it sounded like he really wanted to be in Arizona. Pete Alonzo, Everyone's like, why didn't they just pay Pee Alonso? They need offense? Why don't you go pay him? He would have played in Korea before he played for another team other than the Mets. It seems so I can't blame them for that, But I come back to Santander, how do you not make something like that happen? Dude? Pop forty four homers. You guys need offense. Pay the dude. Then you also had the trade scenarios with the Red Sox. They have a plethora of starting pitching and the Red Sox were like, hey, do you want Cossas? They're like nope. The Red Sox were like, do you want Cossas and Yoshida They're like nope.
Speaker 1: So okay, I'm.
Speaker 2: Pretty pissed if I'm a Mariage fan. Like, it's like, we have a very clear, desperate need and there were multiple paths to make that situation better for us in twenty twenty five, and we did nothing to improve.
Speaker 1: Well, they extended Victor Roeblis after his goods last year.
Speaker 2: I got ahead of business on that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I'm rooting for you, Victor Roblist. But that's no man. If I was a Mariners fan, I would be furious. We have the most important asset in the game, but we refuse to get any of the other assets. They're like, this is a bad comparison, but it's like they're you're playing Settlers of Catan with someone who just keeps like the sheep or some shit.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: I haven't I haven't played that in so long. That had a minute a minute, Jared. We were joking beforehand that were like, you know, I felt like I was bumping into at least like quarterly, Like, okay, I'll see this thing when o're meetings that slowed down. Don't like that.
Speaker 2: I don't like that.
Speaker 1: I think we'll find our way of Fenway this year. How are you doing? Because I want to go back a little bit, and hey, if we I asked for thirty, but if we want to open up the board. But I mean, even even going back to the end of Barstool, it was you know, you had the itch. You wanted to get back up to Boston. That was pretty That was pretty clear, Pretty clear.
Speaker 2: I did not love New York.
Speaker 1: You're back there. Baseball is dead, Section ten, MLB Network, nesson, we got radio stuff Underdog, so you got you know, you got your hands in different different parts of different things. I mean, I want to get to the real life stuff. But I guess work life, like how are you doing with everything?
Speaker 2: It's great, man, I get to do most of from home. So I'm doing I'll be on alm Me Network tomorrow morning at nine fifteen, so like I'm doing stuff with them, Like this is all stuff that I just wasn't allowed to do it right, they didn't want me to. And there's like other places like sponsors and freelance gigs where they didn't want to touch me because I was at barstool. So now I have the opportunity to do a little bit of a mixed bag of everything, which is awesome. Like I've like I've been such a like I send the producer like are you on Facebook?
Speaker 1: I'm on the Facebook?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I had the Facebook. So I like, I'll look at my memories every morning and every once in a while, like something will pop up and be like sixteen years ago you said, like I love m weillb network and like this is the best. And it was like that first year that it came out right and like I'll always like send the producer be like dude, like I'm serious, Like I've been like a day one consumer of this product. So it's crazy to be able to even pop on for fifteen minutes out of time every three months or whatever, So doing that's cool. And then we did the first ever Red Sox alternate broadcast last summer, right, which was fun. It had its pros and cons. You know, I think the stuff that we got to do that was like our idea was fun. There was kind of just you know, like trying to figure out what it is was a little bit of the difficulty where it's like, all right, like you want to be different. You want to obviously be the pole opposite of the traditional broadcast, but how much is too much? You know, Like we want to be able to deliver an entertaining product, but we don't want like if people are watching us that they care about baseball, so like we don't want to get away from baseball, you know what I mean? So I think we did that a little bit too much of that at certain points, and then yeah, like I do this stuff with Tony Maz, but uh yeah, getting Section ten back was very very key to my happiness. Like if I didn't, it would not have been the same. If if it's like all right, yeah, me, Steve, Coley and Tyler, like we all got back together, but I like couldn't be called that, Like I would just feel like a piece of me was missing, Like if if if you like couldn't use your government name anymore and they just gave you a different name, Like I don't even like answer to that, Like I'm just it doesn't make sense. So yeah, I'm just happy that we have have that going and then being able to do baseball is dead with Dallas, and then we have Jay Hay in there and Joey who is he does the baseball doesn't exist YouTube channel. I just like was a big fan of his YouTube channel and I was like, you've got to your brain is so weird. I need it in podcast format. So that's how he joined us a few years ago. So I just I feel like we have the best lineup that of any point in my career, Like if I could hand pick, like, you know, an all star team of co host and producers from since day one that I started. That's who's working with us today. So it's it's awesome. I'm very happy with it.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, man. And uh hey, I again, it's waken Jake, Dude, you're with the girl like I you know, I could, I could bring out some of them married to the game stuff like you know, there's no need for it, but yeah, you're doing the damn thing. And I again, social media, okayarts is gonna get off on the wrong foot. Social media is a little bit of bullshit. You know, people are sometimes so a lot of people are exhibiting a fake part of their life for a different reason or whatever it is. I don't know, man, I like to think I've got a good meter for it. And I mean, you're smiling your dad and like you're yeah, you're loving life. Dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's great. She So we met in high school. Like obviously, I think anyone that's consumed my content over the years is not used to seeing me in a relationship because like either I wasn't public with it or it wasn't serious enough to like post anyway, pretty much my entire adult life. I think like the last relationship that I posted was over ten years ago, Like twenty thirteen was probably the last time I was like public with it. So people are seeing it now and there's far more people paying attention these days than in twenty thirteen. So that's how it ends up on like Reddit posts and people are like, oh, yeah, like she's a gold ager blah blah blah, and it's like little do you know, Like we had Spanish class together in two thousand and six, Like I've known her for a long time. Uh, she does not give a shit about my career, like like she knows Skinny Jared from Sagas High like that is uh, that's who she like still sees like she's totally unphased by anything that has to do with me. Like I told you about the Pedro Martinez thing that like charity foundation gala that we went to. She was sitting next to like Jason Veritec and like Jim Rice and she didn't even know like just not even like she's yeah, so it's cool to kind of have Like it's been important for me to have that separation finally, because when I was at barstool living in New York City. It was just NonStop twenty four to seven career job, blog, podcast, tweet, Instagram and just having, you know, work, panic attacks in your sleep every single night, and waking up in a panic every single morning thinking that you miss something. Yeah, like when Stanton got traded to the Yankees. I don't know if you remember that night, but that was I believe it was in December, and the rumors started at probably ten PM, and then we went to Village Tavern in New York and they bars don't close till four am, so we're all hammered, scrolling trying to get updates on Stanton to the Yankees because at the time that was my favorite baseball player. I was like, if my favorite baseball player goes to the Yankees, this is gonna be terrible. And stayed up until five am, just hammered, waiting for some news to break, went to sleep, set my alarm for eight but like, the news broke at seven am, and Dave was pissed at me that I wasn't blogging it at seven am. I was like, bro, it's it's seven am on a Saturday or Sunday morning, Like that's a little crazy, but that just creates the the panic in you to always be looking at your phone. But yeah, like this relationship, like I've just kind of trained myself like there's work life and then there's just be at home and live in the moment life. And I've never I've never been able to do that before. It's I've never, like I think I still probably work as many hours. I'm just not thinking about work when I put my phone down for the first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I uh, very relatable feelings on every end of the spectrum. It's uh yeah, we still I mean, Twitter's Twitter's changed a lot, and it's it's it can be just brutal sometimes. Now I think we we're a lot better than we were for a little bit, especially getting everything off the ground, because it's like, you know, you're just fight for your life mode. Now it's like, hey, you know Max Freed, rumors are actually happening. And when the clock turned to eleven thirty PM on a Tuesday, You're like, Okay, so are we.
Speaker 2: Are we doing this? Are we not?
Speaker 1: Are we? H? Is there is there a West Coast sports game I can watch till twelve thirty and try to try to stay up just in case or not. But yeah, man, that's uh, it's a wild feeling. And I know, I know you're you're one of the few guys that truly does know that feeling, because a lot of fans know that feeling too, but they also don't have to hop in front of a mic afterwards or you know. I there's some nights I like to indulge in a weed gummy just to help with my you know, my cataracts, and that's uh, you know, Okay, now I've got to talk about, uh, their fit on the Yankees and all that that. Again, it's a you know, I'm not a big blessings guy, but the fact that we get to do that is very cool. But it's also those the three hundred nights something doesn't happen. It's also a little anxiety filled, which sometimes not as.
Speaker 2: Fun, right, Yeah, Like they like You're sitting there and it's December nineteenth, and it's ten forty five at night and we're watching our show. But I've got like my phone is like on my knee just in case it goes off, And it's like is that really necessary? And it's like you don't understand, like I could get a phone call or FaceTime from someone being like, hey, I just got traded to the Red Sox, or hey I just signed with the Red Sox, and that could mean the difference of you know, that's like a career booster thing that could happen, and you just have to be available. And it's like being a doctor. You just have to be ready to roll at all times. When the Red Sox traded for Garrett Crochet, my girlfriend's youngest daughter had a cheer competition in Disney, so we were in Disney at the time, and we're live streaming doing an emergency podcast while I'm in line for Winnie and the Pooh r And you just have to be with someone that understands, like this is just how it is. Sometimes, you know, like I can turn it off as much as I possibly can, but you also have to understand like there is at times no turning it off, Like an emergency podcast is an emergency podcast for a reason. We're in line for Winnie the Pooh, that's part of the emergency aspect of it. But yeah, she doesn't care. I mean, I think one of the big things, like you mentioned the West Coast stuff, is when she goes to bed. I'm like, all right, I'm going to bed, you know, like I before I would stay up until like if there was a seventeen inning game Dodgers Padres and it's two thirty in the morning. Yeah, when she goes to bed, I go to bed, and it's yeah, like I'll watch the highlights in the morning. Like I now like I don't need to watch every single game every single night, Like that's just not necessary. So yeah, like there's been some and then like the pitchclock too, has been great, by the way, not to just credit her, but the pitchclock has been fantastic for uh having a life, you know, like before if the games were ending at ten forty five eleven PM, now they might end at ten fifteen. You're like, I could I could squeeze in an episode of Ray Donovan before I go to sleep. Now why not? Yeah, So it's it's definitely been it's definitely been different. It's been nice. It's been a nice change of pace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that the breaking stuff, it's like that's kind of the fun stuff. And I think it's cool that I think both of us have our supporters that I think now being in line for Winnie the Pooh is an additive where before yes, that that that note has changed where early on it's like, dude, what are you doing? We just we just signed them and you're at Winnie the Pooh. Where now it's like, dude, Jared's at Winnie the Pooh. He's talking about ah and like, I'm glad that that shift has happened because that's that's uh. I know for a few of our trades and stuff. That's made it a lot easier. Like they just pick up the phone say say get your thoughts up, it's gonna be okay. The audio is not perfect. Well, hey man, I'm I'm glad we did this, and I'm glad I got I'm glad we did this too too long, man, but you go, you gotta do it.
Speaker 2: We gotta do a home and home. We gotta get you on to do the same breakdown some Yankees.
Speaker 1: Let me know, I'm I'm beloved and hated by by the people.
Speaker 2: So if it's I don't know that that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I fly under the radar and I just you know, someone's like, fuck John Boy, I'm like, yeah that guy, right, I haven't seen Paralton for I don't know what's happening. Am I the problem?
Speaker 2: No, So I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Where's Dallas spin? Where have I been that?
Speaker 2: Well? Because now Dallas is doing like one hundred and fifty something games bare.
Speaker 1: Nuts by the way, Yeah it's awesome, but it's nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he's doing He's doing like one hundred and fifty games. Whatever it is. But last year was probably the least amount of games that I went to in person, Fenway, maybe since I was like in high school. Yeah, yeah, like that, Like it was just it was bad vibes and everyone was just kind of like life is happening, and like Steve goes to the Cape a lot during the summertime us Ben Steve, Yeah, I think his family has like a Cape house that like they go to. And Colie's up in Maine. He just had his third kid, so he had a he had a newborn over the summer. There was just a lot happening.
Speaker 1: We're just we're all unkst now. Man, it's we're getting up there.
Speaker 2: We're getting up there. Life. Life certainly has happened in the last few years for for all of us baseball content creators.
Speaker 1: Still waiting for my Beard but one day it's coming.
Speaker 2: It's I still have faith in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jared, thank you man. Yeah, whatever you need and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Man, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you