Speaker 1: Well, welcome back to those amos. Is this part two of our beautiful conversation with that brother Terry Crews. I'm Wilmer Aboud, Rama'm Freddie Rodriguez and be brought back into this. What did that lead to?
Speaker 2: Terry?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What was the next thing?
Speaker 3: Wow? What? This was so crazy. There was a Schwartzenegger movie, yeah, and how I had did security on end of days. We were all downtown LA. There was a Swartzenegger movie. Yeah, and we and they were shooting downtown and I was like the guy who watched I watched an alley for like two months and all of a sudden and wait, and I'm gonna tell you this. This is another great story. I was in charge of watching where the extras went and the whole thing. And this guy comes up to me and he says, hey, man, are you an actorate? I said, no, sir, No, I'm security. He said, dude, dude, you know I'm I'm Arnold Schwarzeninger's makeup artist. He said, you should be acting, so you have a great look. And I went, thank you, sir. His name was Jeff Dahn. Dude, all of a sudden, it's Sony right. So Sony needed a bad guy heavy for one of their movies they were doing with Arnold Sportzenegger. So they milled around and they saw that I was on this show for Battle Doome for two years and I became the heavy. And I went in and an auditioned for this thing, and the lady was like, you're pretty good. I was like oh, she said, now, look you're a sweetheart. You gotta go in there with the director and you gotta be pissed off, don't even don't don't be nice at all. So I remember going to His name was Roger Spottswood, the British director, and I walked in there like, yeah, man, so you've been have you been acting? I was like, Noah, I do this, you know, yeah, you know. I was just saying yeah. I was like, is it work it? Yeah? I got the job. Yeah, my first audition for a movie, I got you.
Speaker 1: But but you had to read for it.
Speaker 3: Read. But it was one read and it wasn't like the other show where months go by. They're like you're going to be spending Now you're gonna go six months in Vancouver with Arnold Sports and we're paying seventy five thousand dollars, all the tough stuff went out. Oh my god, I said, I got this movie. I got it. I said, what she's like, I told you this is you. Yeah, take it go. I'm in Vancouver, now this is man. I'm still scared of getting cut. I didn't now I had imposter syndrome.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this is a big movie.
Speaker 2: Sixth day.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I remember when he was getting cloned, the whole thing, and oh it was it was it was wild man. I'm in and it's Arnold, like Arnold, Arnold, what was that?
Speaker 1: Like you going said? And all it was sudden. Arnold's walking up.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you this the first scene I ever had. I'll never forget the first time I actually met him. I was supposed to walk up to him and I was say, I remember saying, I said his name. It was like Roger So and so you come with us and I because I walked up the steps and I was like, oh no, Adam Gibson. That's what was his name. I said, Adam Gibson. I remember the line they come back, Adam Gibson, Uh, come with us? I went, and Arnold's looking at me. Because what happened is you know, you open the door and he opens the door and Arnold, oh no.
Speaker 1: Just like okay, he's coming in. We're saying action and Donald don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: He's like, he just stayed there. You know what I meant time, Sloop said waiting. You know, so I'm just going, okay, don't be a problem, right dude. I froze, but something this. Sorry, we gotta we got a light issue. Save my lass because I froze and I went back and I wouldn't. Pulling myself to the side. I said, dude, do you want to go back and doing security? Do you want to go back to I said, man, your wife, your family, everyone is counting on you. And said, hey man, listen, it's a dude, just you. If you don't do this, you don't deserve it now going there and saying lines like and I was telling myself, don't you get into me, brother. That next scene, I walked up in there with Adam Gibson and come with us, and I was like, oh, I like this guy. And I was like I can see it on thro but it was like my first hit, you know what I mean. It's like in football, you have to get that first hit because you're scared. Every NFL player, I don't care what they're talking about. They scared until you get that first hit. Bout yeah you go all right, I'm alive. Okay, boom, I can do this, dude, I said, man, And it was like go go oh, my god. And the rest of the way. He was so cool. He was cool to me. And I remember he was with Marie at the time and his kids were little. We were running around there. Man, this is ninety nine. Yeah, the brother in nineteen ninety nine and the way, and now it wasn't a hit, and it wasn't, but I'm going up, dude. I'm in a movie, dude, and I'm just looking at I remember we were time and they flew me and my wife. We flew us from Rome, Italy for just the premiere there. And I was going premiered in Rome. I don't know. It was like the foreign people, but it was a premiere. But it wasn't really a premiere. It's like a screening. But I didn't care. I was like, we're roll.
Speaker 1: I was like, hey, what it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Me and but my wife. I mean, let me tell you, man. It was coming from that. It was like if that would have been it, that would have been enough, you know what I'm saying, Like that's a tree. And then it kept going like yeah, I mean everything.
Speaker 2: Did that movie once it came out? Did that performance lead to something else?
Speaker 3: Or you No, No, it led to nothing. You know what? It led to something? Training Day? Oh, I was an extra in Training Day. Remember after that, listen, I had done the movie. It had to come out. Remember the movie. I had done the movie, and then you're at home. You wait from the editor, you wait on So nobody knew that I was in a movie. But I was like, that movie's coming. But Training Day they were filming Training Day. I was a location the location manager because remember I did security and so the location man he said that, man, Denzel's down here shooting in the jungle. Man, you want to come by? I said yes, yes, because he heard I was doing movies and stuff and I still had done the Battle Dome shows, so it was kind of like it's so there I am. I'm across the street from Battle Doome because l A Coliseum was right down the street. So I'm so the gangs were like, hey man, you got t money from uh? Because he would go they were shot iaid what's up y'all?
Speaker 4: Was?
Speaker 3: They kind of knew me, so I kind of got a pass with because they only had gang members from from the jungle. But they were like, oh, man, alright on he on that show, remember that show over there? They were like okay. And I got and Bone, who was one of the main main like actors slash gang people who could he would do it off for all the movies. And Bone gave me the path. Bone was like you good, you good? You know Bone? Bone was good, dude, man, and and Bone just blessed me. Man. So he so then I'm watching I just want to wash this opp dude and walks over to me and says, hey man, you want to be in this movie. I said, take your shirt off, We're going to the roof.
Speaker 1: It was me so so you were just there, just just checking it out. He was into just to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it, that's it. And you know that scene with the and a Lonzo's coming down and cult the sac that's me. He said, hey man, that was great. Come back every night and we'll see where else I can put You came back for two weeks.
Speaker 1: You had like close up yea hero showing.
Speaker 3: When Denzel did his whole King Kong speech, he said, you I want you standing right there looking at the Zel and mad Dog in them. That was the thing.
Speaker 1: Because that was the moment where the hood was like the magic is broken. Yeah, you're in the Magician anymore.
Speaker 3: See yeah.
Speaker 1: And so when you when you when you give that energy, it was represented of the whole block everything. It's like, yeah, yeah, we're not under the spell anymore.
Speaker 3: It validated the whole film because they was like this, dude stands for us. And then training day went.
Speaker 1: How many takes did he do?
Speaker 3: Oh? He was going all night, but it was he was in proved. He was going, dude, I'll never forget this. I actually got a peek because the script was on his car on that on that uh, on the on the car Eliza, and he had written on it the Wages of Sin is death because he knew he's like, because they wanted to make sequels and all this stuff. And I found out later he thought, you got to kill me because he didn't die in the original script. They wanted him to keep going like.
Speaker 1: And you know, I didn't know that he wasn't supposed to die.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, that state there and they were like, but you know, you know studios, they want to make it cash cow and training day two day, he was like, nope, got to kill me, Gotta kill me, because this allowed him to be as bad as he could, like he could just do anything, like but he knew the Senate deaf. It was just soaking it all there like watching it. And then the Academy Awards hit and my mother saw. She's like they showed that scene was. Mother was like, you want the Academy Awards.
Speaker 1: Clip? Yeah, and he got the mother said you have to know.
Speaker 3: She said, you got you you got an oscar. I said, no, I didn't, but I'm in the show.
Speaker 1: Because they used that clip.
Speaker 3: Can't call and got.
Speaker 1: Right, And then it cuts to you and you're there.
Speaker 3: I'm right. I'm just the whole time, the whole time, and it's Jake, Jake. He's from Jake's walking off and I'm just still standing there looking at her. He's going down the Coultor Stack product. I'll never forget that. David wrote The Ship out of that Man. And David showed up on set. It my first time meeting him. Yeah, I wasna. He was on set and I was in there and he was like, hey, what's uping? You know, cool guy, I'm just but I'm talking in film works and film because you know, I'm just over there trying to be like, oh what how does that work? And what was wild is that the crew did never wanted to shoot in the jungle, so there was a lot of problems because you know, these Warner Brothers guys, they wanted to shoot it all in Santa Carita and NFL say that. You know, one of the production guys got stoked, like in the middle of the movie, like and they but then I'll never forget man Craft Service Lady was all like, they're they're over here eating all our boot and the whole everybody like, because I did security too, so I was like, eight, don't you ever say anything. I said, all these people need to come in here and eat whatever they want. You're in their neighborhood. It was. It was that kind of you know, white Hollywood, and I said, you gotta respect these people. You're in their house, you're in there. It's not a film set. But Antoine and Denzel said, we have to shoot here. There's no way we're gonna rebuild this set. No we're going down with the people.
Speaker 1: That were right, Come on, right you felt that offense?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Oh it was all obvious. You know you have people, you know, people all talking stuff because they're thinking you just so and so you ain't a star, so they start talking. Yeah you're like, oh.
Speaker 1: Man, now you guys worked together in the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there har time?
Speaker 2: Did did training day lead to you being in harsh time? How did that work?
Speaker 3: Well? Remember, training day led to a lot. Training day led to Friday after next because cub saw because remember I was security, the cubes saw me in and training day was like that's he puts out there. Watch dude, I got a call. I'll never forget. I'm sitting there, me, Cat Williams sitting right next to each other, all this your room, like this is the next Friday. It's the next one. And then what happened is Tiny didn't want to come back, and so they rewrichrote because he was like, I don't want to do it, so they rewrote it. We wrote this character Damon, and I was like, oh, it's all. And see my thing is I was going to go in and I went in with people. So listen, I have people that were so scared of me for years because they thought, you know, they were like, oh man, damn it. I had the tattooed on my chest and I went in like whoa and people were like they were watching playback, like damn And I was like quig and day day just I need to see people like the theater was like.
Speaker 1: But for that to work, you had to show up that hard.
Speaker 3: I'm born and raised Flint is Compton's sister city, Like I can't him up with I knew day listen. I had to pretend to be Damon and go to art school like because you gotta you gotta code switch, you gotta act like this just in order to get past the gangsters. And you're go in there like okay, that stuck Star Wars guys, you know what I mean. Because you in the hood, they like, hey, man, what your careters portfolio? Yeah? Man, whatever, man, you know, and I would fake like I was, you know, and then I go into class like, oh, let me alone. And then if sports was the way I survived because they see you got a little neck, they go like, man, let that dude alone. Man, he got he's gonna play football something. That was the way you got by it was either sports or you just hustle. So I knew damon and I kicked into it. People like what. My wife hated it.
Speaker 1: She hated that character.
Speaker 3: What are my friends at church gonna?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 1: Are my friends at church?
Speaker 2: How did how did CB react when all of a sudden you're on set, You're you're playing this integral part in the movie, and like a couple of years ago you were doing security for I mean, what was that dynamic?
Speaker 3: Like, first of all, you know, I was thankful, thankful, Yeah, of course, you know. We had like a four banger, five banger. I remember honey Wagons. I couldn't laid out. It was like they can break up and they had you know, you go get your lunch, you get come in there. I'm like, I'm in the movies. I'm in the movies. I'm so happy. And I would jump out there and me and Cat, Me and me and Cat made a pat Me and Cat said, Hey, if no one ever, if we don't do anything after this, they will never forget it. Yes, let's and Cat was homeless. Cat was living in the trailer. Yes, you understand how crazy this was. Because people were hustling. Man, people had to make it, and when you go moving out to Hollywood, man, people don't understand, like what happens is influencers think we made it. But you know that you got a little following. But it's man like in that day. To get noticed, you had the sacrifice, like you had to really like grind grind. He was doing Hollywood Park at night and they're sleeping in the trailer. Wow. And he would wait for everybody to go home and come back in hey man. And I remember being there. Man, I was like cat Man. He was like, dude, he said, we gotta do this, man, And he said, if we don't, if we don't make this so unforgettable, we just gonna be forgettable. And so when we did that scene with the pliers and the whole thing, and we were really crying. You understand, you see that scene take the music out. It's drama all day. We were crying and he was ah. He was like, you are not.
Speaker 1: I am not.
Speaker 3: I I'm a board, dang man. People were in there like this went to a hole in cube told me he said, man, look, he said, dude, that first couple acts is me and Mike. He said, but the whole movie is you and cat he said, I gotta give it up. He said, dog y'all took that to a whole level that nobody. But that's why I knew. I said, just go in. Yeah, there's nothing to lose. Yeah, you know what I mean. That doesn't mean being big, you know, it just means on it. What do you want to see? Like That's what I kept asking myself, like, how would I play this? What would I what would I say, like how I want to see this character? And then I would go into it, and man, that was that was my only real you know what I mean at the time.
Speaker 2: But it seemed like from from T bone to that, like a lot of these characters.
Speaker 1: Were hard right, Like but how does.
Speaker 3: That lead the white chicks? Man?
Speaker 2: I mean, how does how does somebody a director see those movies and go, yup, he should be that guy?
Speaker 1: Because it was so polar opposite.
Speaker 2: And I remember watching that and going like, yo, this different level. I was so impressed. I was so impressed on so many levels. But I was so impressed by your willingness to go to go that far because you had already established a certain I don't want to say persona, but people saw you a certain way, right in the characters, and you could have kept going in that direction.
Speaker 1: You can you could have held tight yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell tight to that persona and being like, no, I don't want to be portrayed in this way because it may affect people like yeah, but what well made you have the balls to go?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna try this right here, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Go wanted it. I never wanted to be that guy I want you.
Speaker 1: Never wanted to play that came.
Speaker 3: I never wanted to be hardcore. Oh because I'm not.
Speaker 1: But but that was your bread and butter though.
Speaker 3: But because of the where I look see but this was the new This is what I figured out, And I figured there's a long time ago. It's the turn because when you give people that you're like, you show up as something, they go, hey, hey, he's not wait a minute. And I started to do that because I could give him all that. And where it happened was in a movie called Malibu's Most Wanted. Okay, Malibu's Most Wanted.
Speaker 1: Jamie in the back of clapping.
Speaker 3: And wait, remember I We'll go all out. And it was funny because Damian Ways, Who's dame? It was Sean and Marlin's nephew was the main guy and I was his backup, and I played a character named eight Ball, right.
Speaker 1: And this was after Friday.
Speaker 3: And this was after Friday, but you know, you're just working, you know. I got to like auditioned and they were like, hey, you'd be great behind someone. So I was like, cool, you know, I'm taking all the jobs right man. Because what happened is a battle on was canceled and I lost my house. I moved too fast, got a house and couldn't afford it, and I was like, oh no, and so we had to be lost our house. And I was like okay. So now I'm just doing commercials and anything I can do. And Malibu's Most Wanted came up and I was like, oh great, so I could be in this movie. And so I had a do rag on and on again. Back to hardcore guy. But I started doing stuff on set and they were like, look what he's doing. There was one thing, you see a scene where I was just start dancing like this, my chain's going there, like.
Speaker 1: When you're kind of popping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were like, hey, hey, keep the camera on that.
Speaker 3: And then I had one of the funniest lines in the movie that was totally add lift right because what was happening is Jamie Kennedy is talking to his dad and he's like, oh and so we're getting all emotional while we're watching it, like and he says, man, and then I said, I wish I could talk to my pops like that. That was my line, I wish I could talk to my pops like that. Said I'm gonna call that right now. And then Dave was like, man, get your fan back here.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know, dude, They were like this guy want to be funny. And then Dame Damien recommended me to his as uncles. They said, we got this one movie called White Chicks that's going on. Man, you can come in an audition for this, and the dude, I got so many stories. Yeah, dude, of course. All right now, I have been trying to get on a TV show because we were like, man, I want to because I was hopping from project to project whole thing. So I was going, oh my god, if I can get a TV show, and then my wife and kids with Damon was looking for me, and my agent at the time was like, dude, this is your job to lose. They want you. They saw you and uh, Friday after next and they said, oh my god, you got the heat. Dude. I went in that thing and when I said bombed the audition, oh my god. But like my hands were.
Speaker 1: Like, what do you think that was? You feel like your state of mind was like you really needed it?
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, we lost the house. We had just got into a rental and we were like and then it was like, it's yours to lose.
Speaker 2: That's sometimes sometimes that that works in the opposite way it does to lose.
Speaker 3: Like, so, is that supposed to make you more confident?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, it makes me nervous.
Speaker 3: You still got to hate me because I already was shaky just about because I didn't have the training like I you know, I'm acting with people who've been to school for this, so I'm a little like, uh and I'm watching on the fly, I'm looking at lips and watching people's stuff and can I do this? I don't know it's time that it's time for lunch. Okay, I'm still learning the whole dude. And I went in there uh uh, oh my god. And Kim Wayne's and all of them, they're like, oh, I'll never forget her looks. She's like soup. You can just see it like it's all burning. And I was just like watching your.
Speaker 1: Old We all have them, you know, we all had that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, well it went up in flames and I went and they just stopped, like thank you, they stopped. That's okay. Yeah, and I knew I do one more time.
Speaker 1: No, no, that's okay.
Speaker 3: Now, guys, guys. I went to the car. I never forget this, got in a car, stealed the eastside bath. I said, I'm done. I quit. It's hurt too much. This hurts way too much because I you know, because you get to a point where you can taste it and you're like the pain of that was because I and you know, you go all night, you're practicing the lines all night. I think I was prepared, you know what I mean. You're old. You don't you're not even they ain't putting your soul into it.
Speaker 1: You're going and out of pilot, right because you're not flowing at that point, right, because.
Speaker 3: No, blow, it was terrible. And I said, I quit. I quit. I just gotta find something else to do. And I said, and my agent said, oh yeah, you got one more audition I said, oh man, it's Crosstown. You're gonna meet with Keenan. Now, I went, oh man. Another way they talk to each other. They coach movie called White Chicks, and I went, wait, this is what you gotta think. It's a movie. I need a show. But oh well, I just do another movie, like again Valliable. I said, it'll It'll pay the bills for a couple of months. I go over there with ken I don't care no more. I'm like, I'm right right, I'm just going in there. I'm like, look at said, oh.
Speaker 1: That's what I a white girl with a black girls.
Speaker 3: The boy was like oh, and I'm like, yeah, yeah, all right, I'm just he said, can you do that? I'm like, I don't care anymore. And then they called. They say, hey man, you got this movie White Chicks. Oh that's cool. Did I know? I did not know it would change the course of my life forever. Because I went up there and we shot in Vancouver again, and we were shooting it for the Hamptons and the whole thing. It was the best time I ever had. Now, you gotta understand Keenan. Every ways, it's a starmaker. All those guys in living color but j low and you know they in fact, dude, I'm not a set I'm not an SNL guy. I've always been an in living color guy. Okay, so nothing beats in living color, you know. So when I when I was up there and Damon was like, dude, just do what you do, man, just do what you do. You rocking this, I was like whoa And I felt remember how my wife came to me and said you can do this. When Keenan was like you got this. I ain't to coach you, just go and I was like who So he just.
Speaker 1: Kind of let you invalidated, like you her instincts were there in point You're locked in.
Speaker 3: It was hitting? What hitting?
Speaker 1: But I gotta tell you man, so like going back to that movie, your performance had.
Speaker 4: So many new houses that I was like, bro, that hit me in so many ways, like the the like you know when you were at the date, right like you were at the date and you were just like really.
Speaker 1: Committed to this day. You know, like that you look across from you and it's like this monster.
Speaker 3: Looks like a monster. He was a monster for the lady, perhaps the silad. You know, everything we would go there was no end, like, wait, that's only stuff they got on camera. We was going and it was like yo, Gus and Mark, Sean and Marlin were just you.
Speaker 1: Were free to fly.
Speaker 2: You were free yeah and that and you feel that all those nuanceers that he's talking about was because he was like, yo, just do or was that all like on the page or he didn't direct you that way?
Speaker 3: No, he he just trusted yea. He literally gave me the green light. I said, so I could, so you should because it wasn't no check, it wasn't no oh no. That's you ever have a director come in and start telling you lines how to say, yeah, man, you want it, like let's find it, like let's let's put it on his feet.
Speaker 1: But some writers, and some comedy writers, they wrote it and heard it and saw it a certain way in their brain, and when an actor comes in to do what the actor is supposed to do, they have a tough time just like letting go of how it sounded when they were in their laptop doing it, you know what I mean. So for those times, you just you really got to choose you, yeah, because if you choose their way, you know that's where you are going to not be able to sleep that night. Number two. You know, you really can have a faulty you know, start at that and then when you go to the premiere and you look at that, you're like, that wasn't me. It wasn't Yeah, yes exactly. That's why you got to always choose yourself when you're on that screen. You got to always say, like, you know, we had a whole episode here we're talking about how do we talk to directors when we let them know that their take is not that you know, how do we sugarcoat that thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And the truth is like you got to talk about it like within your own strength. It's got to be your fault that you can't do it their way, but you got to say like, hey, I uh, within my strengths, like I'll be able to sell it more if I could just go here, you know and then take it there. But to your point, going back to your performances and now, as we do like a mental beautiful you know, love story colash of all your performances and all the parts and all the moments if you've shown up, whether it's like a cameo, whether it's like a great supporting part, whether you're starting on your show, on your TV show because also Brooklyn or I like we forget, like we haven't even gotten to Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: My point is like all these you know, all these moments kind of ship up that like very few tough guys can really dirty up, can also lighten up, can also you know, be free to do coming in And that's hard, dude. And you got to give yourself so much grace so that you got to really really embrace the fact that your gift was given because you decided that you could fly.
Speaker 3: One thing. I realized it's two things that equal one thing. It's vulnerability and transparency equal intimacy. The more open you are, the more intimate you become to be, so you're literally you're performance. People are like wow, like because you're vulnerable and you're transparent. And what I see now sometimes it's just people try to be hard. And I knew that wasn't the way for me. I knew the only way I was going to differentiate myself from anybody else was open open.
Speaker 1: And I'll give you one more thing that you it is you were honest from the beginning. You were so honest with yourself for what you had and what you didn't have that. You were so free in that moment to just flow with your honesty and acting. It's all about staying honest, right. You said stay loose, you know this one thing and goes stay loose, stay loose in you know, to stay loose, you gotta let go.
Speaker 3: Yep, brother, I'm got me tell you. When I look at you guys like Freddy for one, I mean, by the time we got to work on Harsh Times, I was already like the biggest fan, you know, dead Presidence, the stuff he's done before. You just go, dude, this is he's got real actors, you know what I mean, him and Christian And I'm like, man, I just and see. This is another thing. It's that you have to understand. This is like pros. The pros. What I mean is a quarterback. Don't want you to be like, oh that's John l Way. Oh no, you hit him in the mouth, right, that's that respects you if you hit him hard, hit him real like don't And when we were in our scene just we have one big scene in the movie, but I had to come with it, Like I said, I don't want to set these guys up as a fan like I'm a fan. I said, no, man, I'm we laid back like, okay, we were there all day, but you just come like we're pros now, you know what I'm saying. And you guys respected me so much and it was vice versa and it was just like when you have those moments, you know what I mean. And this is why it's hard. Like I've been on some movies where a comedian wants to be have all the jokes and it's over like you know what I mean, It's like I want all the president. No, this is a given to This is why Brooklyn niney nine worked so many ways because we handed each other. It's the lib is coming to you. But Lissa boom, she dunk it. You know what I mean. Andy was set this whole thing up, so all the four people are getting it. This is that it's a beautiful dance.
Speaker 1: And product about the product getting it there.
Speaker 3: Yes, sell it there, but.
Speaker 2: But there's a humility that comes with that. So you have to have a humility enough to go. It's about the product and it's not about me necessarily.
Speaker 3: And that's what I remember.
Speaker 2: About you when we did that movie together and me and Christian Bale doing that scene with you was was. I just remember you coming from a very honest place. Whether you were a seasoned thespian or not, like that didn't matter to us. It was your energy and what you were doing was very honest. And when Christian and I would throw stuff at you, you were like a good tennis player and you would you would throw it right back.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you remember.
Speaker 1: We had improv a couple of things, yea.
Speaker 2: And I remember seeing a Christian like like smile on the side and I was like, oh, Christian's on board man, and we had like this beautiful interaction between us three.
Speaker 3: You know. It was so beautiful that Christian put me in terminator right after that. Oh no, this, yeah, I see.
Speaker 1: I show you that.
Speaker 2: This is us three there having a time man with me and uh with with with me and Christian.
Speaker 3: There and he was this big, lazy, kind of smoking all day dude, and he just knew what was up. You know.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a funny story about this day when Terry came. Remember we shot all of it in the hood, right, and there was these kids that were there, and these kids and Christian was always he's such a good dude, right, it's just the nicest guy in the world. And there was these kids that were there playing around, and I don't know if you remember, man, it was me, you and him and we're hanging out outside and we were telling the.
Speaker 1: Kids, Hey, you see that guy, he's Batman.
Speaker 2: Yea imber that and the kids were like, no, he's not because the movie hadn't come out yet.
Speaker 3: Batman shot but the.
Speaker 2: Movie hadn't come out yet, so we would go with him to like Starbucks. No one would recognize him.
Speaker 3: He has a different kind of look. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember being at that line at Starbucks going like, Wow, in a couple of months, you're never going to be able to do this again. And and and the kids were all like, he's not Batman, your Badman, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Christian is a different level, dude. It's just a different way. And and and you know to put on to put on that cape and do it on that level. I mean he was I believe them. I believe them as Badman. I wanted to be Badman forever.
Speaker 3: One of the best best ever doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah man, and someone who's who deserves like. I love when people are cool and like and then you see them be successful because then you root for them, you know, right. And he's just such a good dude that I was like just seeing him be successful after that.
Speaker 3: You know, you just you know, man, I ran into Christian at the Ecademy Awards and it was a few years back, and it was so wonderful because he said, what's up, man, he says, and you know what was the man? I get these moments like and it's not about selfies, it's not about just like these these are mine. I get to take them with me, you know.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And he's like, tee, my daughter is here. She's the biggest Brooklyn nine nine bad. Can you take a picture with my daughter? And I'm glad Christian, come on, bring her over. This is great. And he's just because you know, you, hey, if you could please your babies, of course. Yeah. And he was just looking at me like, oh, thank you so much. I'm going so cool, your Christian Bale man and his daughter came over like oh, like and I'm going this is crazy, Like don't listen. Love everything you do, don't hate on I don't hate on anything. When people say you just got to sing the song again, I'll sing a song for the rest of my life. Thousand miles because it's special. Listen, man, Oh my god, I had people, Oh my god, I'm sorry. People come to me and they're like, I lost my son. But the favorite, the only thing we used to do. We sit and watch all your movies, and every time I see you, it reminds me of all the good times I have him. I'm like, it's that kind of stuff. I don't ever ever you listen, man, sing the damn song, do the thing, you know what I mean. They're like, hey man, you know me for that, you like me for that? Awesome? But I can't stand when people go like, oh you like that? Oh you know, like, hey man, no, don't hate on any of this stuff. Man, it's it's special. It's special, like you are healing people with whatever. Wait, dramatic and comedic, you know what I mean. You got to watch dramas so you can sort your own stuff. You gotta watch comy to sort your stuff out. And it's just that's what it's what entertainment is, you know what I mean. It's therapy. Yeah, in so many ways, and I go, this is deeper than I ever imagined. Yeah, but understand what this is, you know what I mean, you know you're not a doctor. No, you're not a lawyer, but do you're healing people like something when people come up to you and they enjoy it. Wait twenty years later, yeah, Ever.
Speaker 1: All the profession in the planet can actually have this ripples the far way you are far gone from this earth, the echoes of what you did on that soundstage, on that set, on that location, on that hosting gig, on that little sketch or whatever it was, the echoes of you are going to be living on and on and you and you get to you get to find someone alone the way far when you're gone that really needed to see you in that role in that moment. And then we could obviously go here five more.
Speaker 3: Adults, you know, and I will tell you.
Speaker 1: I tell you this, but but I mean like this rightfully. So this is this, uh you know, this this episode or two because I think we're gonna have to break down. You know, I can talk no, no, no, no, a podcast because this is your show. This is the point, right The point is to pay tribute to you. The point is to to to create a space where we can reminisce so we can we can dig deeper than and you know, look, we've all we all have a very similar story, right, we all came from very little man, very zero, you know. And and the fact that we you know, very later in our lives, we can we can somehow continue to meet in a winning circle. Like that's that's something that really is is beautiful. And I just want to say, you know, congratulations on on the on the I mean, two decades to three decades of entertainment that you've you're given all of us. And obviously you're a brother, man, and this is your house, and we're so stoked that you accepted.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I've known you for two decades and uh, you've always been the same person. I have so much love for you, bro, I have so much respect for you. And I called and you came, man, And that's a testament to you as a human being and your integrity as a human being.
Speaker 3: And we both have married a.
Speaker 2: Long time and we've had such wonderful conversations about that, but again more of a testament to your character, Matsell, thank you for coming back.
Speaker 3: I love you, guys. Yeah, ready, just thank you. Thank you your legends to me, your legends, you know, I mean, I learned from all of it, like I watched you guys, and I'm going, okay, I'm taking that. Hey another a little bit of theft. Never heard any of you know. Oh take that moment and that's mine.
Speaker 1: I'm taking that to them. Realize I'm physically not. I'm gonna start right by brother, Thank you so much. I'm Freddi Rodriguez, I'm Wilmer Abou Durama. This is your brother Terry Cruz here. Thank you for joining us for another beautiful, beautiful Roman. It is an episode of Those Amegos.
Speaker 2: Dose Amigos is a production from w V Sound and iHeartMedia's Michael through That Podcast Network, hosted by me, Freddie Rodriguez and Wilmri Valdorama.
Speaker 1: Those Amigos is produced by Aaron Burlson and Sophie Spencer Zabos.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Wilmri Valdorama, Freddie Rodriguez, Aaron Burlson, and Leo Klem at WV Sound.
Speaker 1: This episode was shot and edited by Ryan Posts and mixed by Sean Tracy and features original music by Madison Devenport and Helo boy.
Speaker 2: Our cover art photography is by David Avalos and designed by Deny holtz.
Speaker 1: Claw and Thank you for being at Third Amigo today. I appreciate you guys always listening to those amigos.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from My Heart, visit the R Heart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 3: See you next week, mm hmm