Speaker 1: Nicholas Cage has been been every version of a person in Hollywood. He's been a joke, he's been a fraud, he's been somebody we we treated like an idiot.
Speaker 2: But he's always been white. We haven't seen him switching. We haven't seen.
Speaker 3: Like So I would like that.
Speaker 1: I would like that quite a bit.
Speaker 4: I think Tyler Perry can make that happen. Nicholas Cage, Tyler Berry.
Speaker 2: I think inside.
Speaker 5: And I think I think together for evil.
Speaker 6: I think I think two can make it happen anyway.
Speaker 7: Racist money, many turkey stuff.
Speaker 8: I can't tell me, so I creep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just keep it on the download because no one else is supposed to know. Welcome to O Mama's and gentiles alike to another phenomenal episode of My Mama Told.
Speaker 1: Me the podcast What We Died, deep deep into the pockets of black conspiracy theories, and.
Speaker 5: We finally worked to prove that Andre three thousand has lost a couple of those numbers is Andre twenty six forty two? After that flute ship, My name is David ford Man.
Speaker 1: I don't like hearing it, but I'm like stick German.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that I exaggerated the number of the amount of numbers he lost.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, it's like it's like it's in like that.
Speaker 5: Twenty three eighty nine. He's good, he's yeah, And I just don't like flutes.
Speaker 1: That's not I think he's I think he's still only lost a few points. But but it is you.
Speaker 8: You just want that rap album.
Speaker 5: Baby, Yeah, someday, someday, I feel like a Trump presidency if it pushes us to a new three thousand album.
Speaker 8: Finish it's all I'm.
Speaker 9: Saying, finish your sentence four days, four days. And you're like, this ain't so bad. Oh man, I've already resigned to it.
Speaker 1: Man, this man's not even in the Oval office again yet. And you're like, I will be all right.
Speaker 8: We'll Callie. We can't.
Speaker 1: We can't deleet or dally anymore than we already have. Our guest today is in studio with us. She's phenomenal, a dear friend, an artist, a comedian, a a a.
Speaker 2: Unit comes to do it, but so much more.
Speaker 1: She she's a she's a dear friend or so happy she's here. Give it up for Sydney, Washington. Everybody you know black.
Speaker 2: Man won an intro. I mean, no credits, just she's a person.
Speaker 3: I love you's funny.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 1: We love all vibes over here.
Speaker 4: So I have So you don't like the Fluke, I'm not. Uh, you're not here for the fluke.
Speaker 8: I don't have discerning a taste enough to understand how good it is.
Speaker 2: I think, really, So that's a that's a that's a you thing.
Speaker 8: That's what I said.
Speaker 1: Ye like, it's you know, I'm not a flu guy. It doesn't mean he's not expanding.
Speaker 2: No, he's already expanded. Baby, he did it.
Speaker 5: So he left us, you know, and I'm hurt.
Speaker 8: I'm just a bitter ax.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a bitter ax. He's doing better than you, babe. He's working hard.
Speaker 1: The way you're going hard for this suggests to me that you did like the flute album. That you not.
Speaker 4: But it's all about elevation. You have to elevate. You have to be a taste maker. You can't be doing what everybody else is doing because they're doing it, you understand. If if everybody is on the train rapping for dollar bills, Andre is like, no, no, no, I don't want to be associated without flutes.
Speaker 2: I don't see flutes everywhere.
Speaker 5: Implies that he's not competitive like anybody. He's still rapping better than all the people for dollars.
Speaker 2: We've moved on, We've done you moved on.
Speaker 8: Yes, we like it.
Speaker 2: I don't like it because I don't want your ear for it.
Speaker 3: That's what I said. You know what, I just.
Speaker 2: Christopher Columbus, your whole ship. How does it feel? Does feel a white man?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: My shirt doesn't mean there's one in my world?
Speaker 1: Why did you direct that at means?
Speaker 10: I was got.
Speaker 2: Yere to dismantle this brotherhood.
Speaker 1: And it's working.
Speaker 5: In and of itself. What were united? We got pictures on our shirt, stronger than we've ever been.
Speaker 4: It hurts to see this like you Obviously y'all are really good at whatever you're doing, and.
Speaker 2: I have to support it.
Speaker 3: So I think I think by whatever you're doing you mean.
Speaker 1: Talking to niggas at the mall. Excuse me, man, you think you could pull this off and he could shut out?
Speaker 2: It looks good, y'all J.
Speaker 8: Romero, and I'm all, I don't know the name of how much.
Speaker 2: It costs enough.
Speaker 1: This don't come cheap, sweetheart. You're gonna want that podcast to get at least a few more episodes and clearly if I want to start buying shirts and I'm a Bill will Ferroll for this, This is.
Speaker 2: Absolutely invoice Andre as well.
Speaker 1: It feels like you were on my side and then I lost it for a little bit. Okay, we enough a goddamn enough. We have a conspiracy that you brought. You brought to us. Uh no more than than two hours ago. You said I have a conspiracy. This is something I believe passionately. And we broadened that conspiracy a little just to be able to open this conversation up. But you said, my mama told.
Speaker 3: Me Tyler Perry is the devil.
Speaker 4: Absolutely and specifically Cicily Tyson died to get out of her contract with him.
Speaker 2: Wow, the new death row.
Speaker 11: Okay, if you don't want me all address.
Speaker 3: Hidden people with your yeah that has a gun in it.
Speaker 9: Diary, glitten niggas down the stairs and they wheel chair.
Speaker 2: Got Janet Jackson in a curly, wet and wavy crying.
Speaker 1: That was a good cry though about her husband on the down load.
Speaker 4: So you're doing but that is another movie, that's all. That's not Janet did multiple that's for that was.
Speaker 2: For colored Girls that I considered suicide.
Speaker 1: That's but she did multiple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the day I think I know, why did I get married?
Speaker 1: Well, I knew she did multiple? Why did I get married? I didn't know that. She then also extended into like the multi verse of Tyler Perry.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: I think that's how you do it.
Speaker 4: That's how you do it. You don't just do If you do one thing, you're bad. That means you're not useful.
Speaker 2: He can't.
Speaker 1: But some people sober up to it to some extent, like Taraji did one. She's not going back to talk.
Speaker 8: Did she do more than one? Was it just I can do bad all by I.
Speaker 1: Think she only did that. I can do bad, but all by myself. I could be wrong. But even if she did Idris it's another example. Yeah, I fucked around over here for a second, but I'm not do.
Speaker 4: Daddy's Little Girl. Yeah, that wasn't That wasn't terrible.
Speaker 1: That The issue is not the quality of the movie. Some of them I really.
Speaker 2: Like, Really, that's it's not the quality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I already I'm gonna already say.
Speaker 1: I consume some of those movies like junk food.
Speaker 5: It's just like so it's not there's no Yeah, yeah, yeah, in small doses though, it feels good.
Speaker 8: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like it's just like there's no major problems. It's just rich black people running around. Oh that's interesting. That's like I like that.
Speaker 10: You.
Speaker 8: I'm cool with.
Speaker 5: You don't see them in the comedies, not in the ones where it's like, but you don't see.
Speaker 1: Them in any way like morally corrupt or sort of like harmful.
Speaker 5: The characters within the movie. Yeah, not more so than like I see anybody in any other movie.
Speaker 8: Like, I don't know, are you are you?
Speaker 2: Are you all the way awake when you're watching us?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you conscious?
Speaker 5: It's like it's like, yeah, it's like, if you're feeling down, you just watch like a funny, happy movie.
Speaker 2: If you're feeling down, you put on Tyler Perry.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of movies. Yeah, there's a couple of movies watch Do.
Speaker 3: You have a Therapist? In between?
Speaker 8: It's a movie.
Speaker 2: Silo Perry, a silent Perry.
Speaker 5: He says, Hello, I'm just saying it's a big there's a big market for it. The reason I think He's the Devil is not the actual movie. WHOA Okay, I think it's the u the labor practices to really kind of get to me, Okay, like not being union and stuff like that in an industry where like the standard is to work unions. So it's like you're already putting the people work with you like a little bit of a disadvantage, right, And then it's like so it's like you build this thing that is massive and does give a lot of jobs, and that's very important, but you make it so that these people are tied to you in a way. Yeah, if you were getting if you were allowing people to bounce over here and here and here and get money and that was cool, then it makes sense. But now it feels like if you're keeping a stable it feels like you're not allowing people to grow.
Speaker 1: I I know a few barbers who have like dipped in and out of like the Tyler Perry space, and all of them sort of like in a weird way, it gets sort of like, h like, no, I'm not going back over there or I over there. I gotta really be down to be over there, because that's you. You're working crazy hours, you're sort of being manipulated in this space. And then I think they're they're expecting a commitment that you can't like back out of easy.
Speaker 4: You know, because it's like again it's that thing about like exposure. You're like, well, I'm in this, so this is actually gonna help me, and then after a couple of rounds of it, you're like, wait, I'm still a bartender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm a well known bar.
Speaker 4: People know me, but I still have to bartend on the side because I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't make everything ends me.
Speaker 1: I also think where it gets complicated is to your point, the stink that it puts on you once you do become a little bit of a Tyler Perry person, you know what I mean? Like, did we see maximum Allen Payne potential?
Speaker 8: Wow? This is.
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: You you it is the third time.
Speaker 8: Second time we're talking about Alan Paid the Week.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: You mean you mean Jason's lyric the Alan pay He was a great He was in everything.
Speaker 3: He was everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in every sick he was making.
Speaker 3: He was lot for.
Speaker 2: That curl pattern. We don't see that kind of curl pattern, and.
Speaker 8: It was he was.
Speaker 1: He was a clearly black man with a natural curl. This nigga had it all you would have I would have bet the house. Yeah, I would have bet the house and he and he sunk his fucking ship over there. What happened?
Speaker 8: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Give us back Alan Payne, Tyler Perry or.
Speaker 2: What oh wait was it? Was it Tyler Perry? Or that it was just like Alan Payne.
Speaker 4: Hey, y'all type cast so many times were like we didn't seen this song and dance.
Speaker 5: But that is a difficult thing, right if you get typecast that much. Yeah, but you don't grow to a level where it's unanimous that people know you're that you kind of can't work in that forever.
Speaker 1: But I'll challenge you all. I will challenge you on this because because on the flip look at Bokeem woodbind who came who went through it had like this heightened moment where he was sort of typecast as this like crazy eyed villain and ship, but then took a break and came back and came back chubby and now has had a whole new career, do you know what I mean? As older he was, he did Fargo, which was amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they said, and they said that was the best part of the movie.
Speaker 1: Listen, bokem Woodbine is the best, but he never went over there. And that's what I'm saying is that maybe there's a world where Alan Payne finds his true detective moment.
Speaker 2: We got to put him in the A twenty four.
Speaker 4: I think some people, or once you get in mainstream, you have that opportunity to do all things like bad good things that you're like, why are you even a part of this? But certain specifically black people, once you get into that little corner, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's all you have.
Speaker 4: Like Glenn Close, she was in Deliverance. I'm coughing because I can't even catch I can't even breathe. The work that she did in that movie. One I was like, oh, She's like, I've done everything that I need to do. I've I have ascended to the point of let's play, let's have fun.
Speaker 1: She's like, I'll learn some pato.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, now the wigs. The wigs were not by Tyler Perry in that movie. Glenn Close almost was like, is she by Rachel? She was giving Rachel jose All a run for her funn I'm gonna say that on air.
Speaker 1: As somebody who has not seen the movie. I assure you she is not she is. I looked at all them clips y'all were posting, and I was sober when I you know what I mean, like y'all were. Y'all were enthralled, so you were bought into the whole experience as somebody who did not experience it. I was like, this looks insane.
Speaker 2: No, she said nappy pussy on in the movie.
Speaker 4: And I said, We're gone. She's gone, She's like, but they were. Every everybody black was like, she's got to win a Golden Globe for this.
Speaker 1: And everybody white was like, what are you talking?
Speaker 3: Is she unwell?
Speaker 4: Is her?
Speaker 2: Where is he?
Speaker 3: Is it the braids? Is it the braids? That's what the white.
Speaker 4: People were saying with Glenn. But Glenn has done it all. She has proven herself, so she can do that. But once you get into the I feel like Tyler Perry Rome, it's kind of wrapped up.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the scary part, right Is that? Is that even that movie? I don't It's not a Tyler Perry production.
Speaker 2: It's Lee Daniels, which is the cousin the cousin of Tyler Perry.
Speaker 1: I think there, I think, and I don't disagree with you. I think Lee Daniels is certainly Tyler Perry junior.
Speaker 3: Yes, he would love.
Speaker 1: To be Tyler Perry in some former fashion. That said, I think Lee Daniels still they let Lee Daniels do too much, you know what I mean in the legitimate spaces where they gave him oscars and nominations and he.
Speaker 4: Is first of all, we have to no, let's not be anti black. These brothers have done some good work. There have been some things I know, Dave, I'm sorry they have done. Really, they've been some pieces where you're like, you know what this is?
Speaker 3: What are give me?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 1: And maybe we should take the break. This is a good way for us to go on break. I think this will be fun. When we come back. We're gonna unpack some projects that we think are defendable for Tyler Perry and or Lee Daniels. We'll talk through the ones that we think are truly defendable and we'll talk about why. But we'll come back and we'll be back with more Sydney Washington and more. Ma Mama told me, My Mama told me presents the Start to Steal tour. We're very excited about it. Yeah, I'm not about to bite my tongue. We want to sell it out and the dates are coming up fast, and so if you live in one of these areas, we want you to buy your tickets now. It's all available on our instagrams, on our websites, on our link tree. December twelfth, we're in Seattle, and December fifteenth, you're closing it out in Portland, Oregon. We want y'all to come out. We want y'all to kick it. We will be doing our coveted live show with special guests, with just me and David. Depending on the city, it'll be a great time all that meet and greets. You think Chris Brown has a good meet and greet.
Speaker 3: Bro, let's be clear.
Speaker 7: I'll take a weird picture with you for free.
Speaker 5: We are back discussing our favorite Tyler Perry movies.
Speaker 1: Oh God, is that not I don't know that that was the assignment at all.
Speaker 8: Had to tweak it because your parameters weren't working. Okay.
Speaker 1: I think what it should be is more this question. If we're talking about these figures as evil rights, as sort of spawn of Satans, as is sort of implied here. I think we should be careful to remind ourselves, which pieces at least hold some value for the greater good of society. That it's less about whether or not that we like them and more do they actually benefit the larger world around us?
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna go first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so precious that Lee Daniels. That was probably the most controversial.
Speaker 1: And Tyler Perry production.
Speaker 2: Everybody was involved, they had everybody, They had the.
Speaker 3: Carrio movie.
Speaker 4: I watch it and I say, yes, this definitely gives sun Dance this gift.
Speaker 2: It's indie.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is like it's it feels like low budget but in such an artistic way that I'm like, I can appreciate this now.
Speaker 2: The masses, the.
Speaker 4: Masses watching this, this this story from the book Push It was.
Speaker 2: It was hard. It was so hard. And that and Monique playing.
Speaker 4: That mother so well to the point where like do we like Monique?
Speaker 3: Do we like her?
Speaker 4: I almost think that people weren't on her side because they almost thought you are that mother that was in question.
Speaker 2: You were touching your daughter like that. That's how That's how controversial the movie was.
Speaker 4: That everybody was playing the role so well that you're like, this might be their real lives. Riah carry Riah Carry rough draft Mariah Carey.
Speaker 3: That was alarming.
Speaker 4: It was alarming, and they threw on the beauty supply wig and they said, go, yeah, a little bit of concealer.
Speaker 2: But she was great, incredible.
Speaker 1: I love this as an answer because I similarly felt all of those things in seeing the film in theaters. You went in theater. I went in theater, and I had my little sisters with me. I swear to God, because I was like, this is gonna be like a beautiful film of empowerment for for them to see, like this big girl who overcomes and like figures out a way to move forward. I didn't read the book, No you didn't, and truly was just haunted by the experience. And so I asked this because I agree with you. I felt all those things, But how much of that was just a weird stacking of awful on top of awful and not really a human experience to make us better?
Speaker 4: Well, t I had a friend in it, Zosia, and I think this was her first big role.
Speaker 2: She killed it.
Speaker 4: I was like, so there, I'm being honest, I'm there supporting, I enjoy right, But then it is somebody's story, so should we not?
Speaker 1: But it's not somebody's story that you know what I mean, Like parts of this are somebody's story. The experience of abuse is somebody's story. The experience of you know, being overweight, and like the challenges of being poor is somebody's story. The experience of getting AIDS is somebody's story. But all of those combined into this single person, you know what I mean, Like it was just this.
Speaker 2: You don't think all that stuff can happen. Yes, I'm sure this is somebody's story.
Speaker 4: If you're listening and this is your story, I need you.
Speaker 1: If if you're listening and this is your story, please stop listening to this.
Speaker 3: Go seek help now, because.
Speaker 1: You have so much going on that you don't have time to dilly or dally with podcasts. Truly, this is that's She was pregnant and didn't know she was pregnant. She was being assaulted by her mama and her daddy. She was Mariah Carey was trying to or was trying to save her. But then they had Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, I be on TikTok all day, all night.
Speaker 2: That is somebody's story.
Speaker 4: The way people be just diarrhea of the mouth, just telling their business, they mama business, They cousins cousins, and bad after bad after bad. I mean, I don't even turn on the TV no more because people are telling us our problems.
Speaker 1: I guess, I guess less than me saying it's impossible for anybody to experience this. I'm saying there's a point where it stops being any version of universal. Okay, it just starts being a singular fucked up story that nobodying. It doesn't belong to black people. It doesn't belong to brown people. That bitch's life sucks, perishspec I'm just saying, And there's some people in this building that also have stories that are closer to like a universal experience. And I wonder about the tragedy porn even though for for me, a person watching it, it worked, I was like, Holy shit, this this motherfucker is crazy.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about Monsters Ball?
Speaker 1: WHOA?
Speaker 2: What about that Holly.
Speaker 4: Berry won it won, that won that award, won that Golden Ticket.
Speaker 1: This movie, it's worth noting Monsters Ball? You said is a Lee Daniels production. Yes, right, okay.
Speaker 2: Thoughts, I mean, she is getting banged out by Billy Bob Thornton, not a drop of makeup, not a comb going through the hair.
Speaker 3: Did he's in it?
Speaker 2: He's in it.
Speaker 1: It's actually, I think one of his first serious roles, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: Honestly, he ate he ate he was in jail.
Speaker 8: He did.
Speaker 4: He was on death row maybe the way the way the art works it always.
Speaker 3: I don't like he was on death row and they never told us why either.
Speaker 2: He did not know.
Speaker 1: They're just like he did. So he was he was acting up the ledger.
Speaker 8: Well he's er.
Speaker 2: Was it amazing?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 4: L RP shout out to him. I'm a him in real life and sweet sweet sweet guy. Okay, yeah, gave good tip to.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, that's good. That's good.
Speaker 2: Some people like to speak ill of the dead, not me.
Speaker 1: Sydney came on here and so far his only defended white men.
Speaker 4: But yo, whoa the cameras dead ass could be like, no share you. You've been dragging Bax left and right, all dark skinned mind.
Speaker 1: You, that's my style. You, on the other hand, are selling your people out.
Speaker 4: I mean, I I enjoyed the rawness of it again, Like if this was like an eight twenty four production, we'd be like, yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Leg Well I think it did get all the love right. It's another example of one. I think it won well, she won the Oscar for it, certainly. I think it's just like a lot of films where we sober up to what the fuck we watched three years ago?
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean saying it won then, but it wouldn't It wouldn't hold up right now?
Speaker 1: Crash won the Oscar for Best Picture and is now like people laugh at the idea that Crash was now.
Speaker 2: Ya, I didn't like the invisible cloak. He tried to cheat me.
Speaker 3: You don't like.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, hold up, they're dragging Crash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the people don't like Crashing. We come because it starred Ludacris.
Speaker 2: He was in Too Fast, two Furious.
Speaker 1: They loved it, Guys. I'm not saying that Luda didn't do a fine job. I'm saying that you don't give a Ludacris film best Picture.
Speaker 2: Then Tate was in it. They had everybody your name, Mama and Crash talking about yeah, the patient queen, you know who, Samuel Bullock.
Speaker 1: You know the only other type of movie that does movies like that where everybody's in it is like them shitty movies where it's like Valentine's dad.
Speaker 8: Cameons.
Speaker 2: Ryan Philippe was in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was too many big names for you to be managing a good story. So then you just.
Speaker 4: Like in a in a cheesy way, they were making their points. Yeah, but then we found out the people who wrote it were white. So that's what that's what sucked us up. That's what it was, which is why you and then you okay, you look at it as a whole. Yeah, it did just that, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Just what you thought they would do. Okay.
Speaker 1: So so Monsters Ball is a defendable for you. Precious is a defendable for you.
Speaker 2: I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I wasn't mad at the movie Holly Berry winning the Oscar for it. I was like, damn, why we gotta be down and out to win? But they do that for everybody either. You gotta what's her name? Charlista rone. She she had to get ugly and murder niggas, like you know.
Speaker 1: I think the only difference is they can also escape through like musicals. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Like Chicago, what's the la one that they stars? No, no, no, Although a Star is Born is another good example, it's not quite it is a musical to some extent, but the one where they're La la land. Those they can be joyful, they can be not like look like shit.
Speaker 4: And when Leonardo DiCaprio was in Everything, they didn't give him that award until he got raped by bear.
Speaker 2: So you know what, maybe Academy is just doing everybody wrong. Actually it's one for one.
Speaker 8: I like that.
Speaker 1: That's what you think happened with that bear.
Speaker 8: That's what I said. It looked like. That's what it looks like.
Speaker 4: Am I wrong When they said when they said would you rather be trapped in the forest with a bear or a man?
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, which bear? Because bear in the movie with you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's gonna take it.
Speaker 1: That bear got him. I remember just learning what the premise of that movie was and thinking, damn, this is give this man the award.
Speaker 2: This they did, and they did.
Speaker 4: He I think heat he read the script and said, you know what, it's time.
Speaker 3: It's time.
Speaker 2: Now I got a lock in. He said.
Speaker 4: He ro to death in Titanic, Right, this is a different it's a different type of death.
Speaker 8: I'm not dying.
Speaker 2: I'm not dying. I'm living. Jack Jack.
Speaker 1: Sweet voice, my mama told me presents the start to steal tour. We're very excited about it. Yeah, I'm not about to bite my tongue. We want to sell it out and the dates are coming up fast and so if you live in one of these areas, we want you to buy your tickets now. It's all available on our instagrams, on our websites, on our link tree. December twelfth, we're in Seattle and December fifteenth, you're closing it out in Portland, Ore.
Speaker 8: Again.
Speaker 1: We want y'all to come out. We want y'all to kick it. We will be doing our coveted live show with special guests, with just me and David. Depending on the city, it'll be a great time.
Speaker 8: All that meet and greets you've been Chris Brown has a good meet and greet.
Speaker 7: Bro Let's be clear, I'll take a weird picture with you for free.
Speaker 8: Okay, here's what I'll say.
Speaker 5: Okay, here we go and get at the full Tyler Perry filmography.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, And it's worth noting she only defended Lee, didn't Yeah, she brought nothing to the table for Tyler. Tyler so far as in defensible for you?
Speaker 8: Is that true?
Speaker 2: Why did I get married? I fucked you? That heavy. I thought that was valid and into and mah two.
Speaker 4: I said, I don't know if we need this, but I heard they was doing a Why Why Did I Get Married?
Speaker 2: Three? And that's why Sisily was like.
Speaker 8: And then she died.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 8: She was like, I'm tired.
Speaker 4: Because Tyler said I paid Cicily a million dollars for one day of work, and she was like, wait, why are you telling them about my business? Yeah, because he was trying to let her know, Hey, you're gonna have to work some other days, babe.
Speaker 2: You we got mourning we got for you.
Speaker 1: That million was in advance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got work to do my death throw.
Speaker 8: We gotta shoot season forty of Sisters?
Speaker 3: Where are we going to?
Speaker 10: Hell?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But Tyler, it's only been out three years?
Speaker 8: How wash? He was back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that I'll take Why Did I Get Married? Just in the idea of just a romantic comedy. I don't think it detracts anything from art or the conversation or anything like that. Okay, because I do think that, like when we're talking about him as a whole and like his output, I don't think it needs to be He doesn't have to be a twenty four to be worthy.
Speaker 1: Of existing in the space, you know what I mean? Yeah, I think that's always been my issue with it, right is it's not that I'm expecting him to be.
Speaker 8: And worthy isn't even the right word.
Speaker 1: I just mean, like, it doesn't have to be bad bad that stylized. But I guess that's my point is I don't need it to be some high art. I just needed to hold itself to some standard.
Speaker 8: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 1: Like Adam Sandler movies, I don't like all of them. I don't like honestly most of them, but every single one of them, I go, Oh, Adam really thought this was funny, do you know what I mean? He really believed in like whatever this configuration of funny people and jokes was, and he put it out believing that it was going to serve an audience, whereas like Tyler, I don't think gives a fuck, but it does.
Speaker 8: Degrees in what he does. No, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't mean that some of the stuff is like definitely just put together and rushed out. But some of them you could tell. It's like he wanted this to be a good film, right, Like he wanted to Yeah, and it served his audience.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying that that's the violence, is to put out the rush shit knowing you had more potential for a quality film even as you see it, right, like, even if it's not objectively quality, you knew, like, all right, when I put this out, I stand on that.
Speaker 4: What if Tyler Perry is ahead of the curve and he said, these audiences they're pretty bad, So what are we spending years.
Speaker 2: Together and care about. Throw it out there. They don't watch it, they're gonna pay money, they're gonna.
Speaker 8: Go if you look at it that way, and and honestly.
Speaker 5: Genie, right, if you look at it that way, Helazer, Well, it's just.
Speaker 4: Like comedians right now, stand up comedians posting clips. You're like, that joke's not done, that needs some tags whatever. It's like, what are we waiting for?
Speaker 2: Put it?
Speaker 4: And sometimes the stuff that's the most unfinished gets the most viral moments.
Speaker 2: So Tyler Perry is, oh, want you want to.
Speaker 3: Stand up while let's go with your hand on your heart?
Speaker 1: What the fuck is about that appen?
Speaker 4: I think stand up comedians took a note from Tyler Perry and they say, I put it out.
Speaker 1: But I think that's what where I start to go like, yeah, but that is a greater instruction of the world, right, yes, because I do think the deterioration of art is like a fundamental reflection of like what's happening in the larger world around us.
Speaker 8: It doesn't necessarily mean good still, right, No.
Speaker 1: He's an innovator for sure, Like he really broke ground on some vile, vile ship, right, Like, yeah, and that's.
Speaker 4: All yet what we know how it's done. You're like, oh, sir, how much? Tell me what the prescription is.
Speaker 1: But but even even the idea that you have, like all these shoots happening constantly on this large property that you're not doing multiple takes on that you're not even fucking like you.
Speaker 2: Know, you're not there, Sidney, what do.
Speaker 3: We What game are we playing?
Speaker 2: Fact?
Speaker 1: That's the whole boy, yeah, is that we're not allowed to see it because they're doing crazy ship with these these people whose lives that will never come.
Speaker 2: Back, these people Black people. Don't just say these people.
Speaker 3: These dumb dumbs trapped in a cave.
Speaker 4: I can't now your hairline is nice, but don't push you back.
Speaker 3: Alan fucking pain.
Speaker 4: You if you if you love Alan, so much.
Speaker 2: I want you to get his tattoo. Get a tattoo, Alan Allen.
Speaker 8: I just miss him.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's alive. Is he find him on Instagram?
Speaker 1: I bet he got a different Instagram.
Speaker 2: He said that pain fucked him up.
Speaker 1: I bet it's at Alan Tyler Payne.
Speaker 4: There was a there was a new movie recently, not recently, but like earlier this year that Tyler Perry made with Kelly Rowland Mia Coppola, and I watched it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched it. Was it terrible?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: Was it amazing? No?
Speaker 3: But I enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it, and that sometimes we just need something that we could put our eyes on, take us out of the moment.
Speaker 1: But again, I think the point is less that he can't do it. I don't think my suggestion is everything he's ever made has been a violent violation Daddy's little girls. I like, and I was like, all right, that's cool. It's not I'm not offended by this.
Speaker 4: It just is you just you want to do things that you want things made that doesn't offend you.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying I want there to be a standard of quality so that we're not getting clips of a dude getting punched in the face and spinning a full three sixty and saying oh as he falls down. I'm saying I want the I want a billionaire who owned literally half of Atlanta to invest in quality wigs and that not to be part of the conversation.
Speaker 3: I want to explore the world beyond mister Brown.
Speaker 2: Can they put music.
Speaker 4: Olivia everything that he's saying right now, I want a real story that you believe in every time, because you have the.
Speaker 1: Resources and frankly, you present to us to be this healer of our community. So put the effort in to show us that love every single time.
Speaker 4: So once you say once all that done is Tyler Langston will be right on that motherfucking lot.
Speaker 2: That's what he's trying to tell you. It's trying to tell you.
Speaker 1: Get you when buddy, when I run out, I'll come be a slave of slave away and with me.
Speaker 8: This is really just it's ending pro Tyler Perry, which.
Speaker 2: Is tew you know it.
Speaker 1: No, I want to be clear. I'm I could not be more anti Tyler Perry. You too are pro Tyler Perry. For me, I am the exact opposite. I think he's the worst.
Speaker 4: I'm pro you know, we should be able to be as messy and ridiculous and unprofessional as everybody else in this business, and we're not.
Speaker 2: We're not allowed to.
Speaker 4: And Tyler Perry is doing that and so therefore but what he But it also is like bad because, like you said, there's so many people who are trapped in this circle of Perry production.
Speaker 1: I just dream of a day when we don't have to hold it hold ourselves to the standard of the worst white person.
Speaker 2: I didn't say white. Now you said white, well it was I said the industry. I said, I said the industry. I feel like we are.
Speaker 3: You almost said jewish.
Speaker 2: I did not say that.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is we always have to do black excellence, black excellence. We gotta have autocrest, we got to we've got to go to school for we have to be so about this life. And it's just like that's that's not how art is made all the time. We didn't go to NYU, we didn't go to Juilliar. So that means that the way we conduct you know, acting and comedy or whatever is not up to standard.
Speaker 1: No, I think I'm not suggesting even for a second that there needs to be a standardization of quality. I'm not suggesting that there needs to be a standardization of this industry, but I do think that like this breaks down to questions of human decency.
Speaker 2: For me, human decency this is.
Speaker 1: This is not just oh, I made the best movie I could make and if you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. I've seen plenty of those movies, and we can argue all day about which one souls are. But there's nothing he's putting in on sisters. Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: Oh Yo, when I tell you the B E. T. Bandits is going to be after you, I don't want to be a I don't want to be a party.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: Someone makes sure you untagged. Somebody's gonna be they are, they will ride at dawn.
Speaker 3: But that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I get it that, I'm I understand that there is an audience.
Speaker 2: The feelers even better.
Speaker 1: I don't think that he's trying his best on all of these things, and I think we got to be honest about that, Dave.
Speaker 5: I think that what are we talking about is it like a ratios thing, Like what do you think is good to bad?
Speaker 8: Ratio?
Speaker 2: Is yeah, tell me, let us know what you right now, right now? Hold on? What is good for you movie? Right now?
Speaker 3: Show?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, No, that's that feels that that's complicating the conversation.
Speaker 2: Okay, because you want to you want to keep your jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not going to play this nasty hold me if I wouldn't do what I did right now, that's not the point of this conversation.
Speaker 3: A good tribe, sister, I can't even.
Speaker 2: They won't even see me a script.
Speaker 3: I can't even.
Speaker 1: I think if we're talking ratio of what I think he offers up good to bad, I think it's ninety percent bad and ten percent good.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question. Did you like Vampire in Brooklyn?
Speaker 1: I don't think it was a good movie.
Speaker 2: It was a good movie. No, what is good?
Speaker 8: Not that?
Speaker 4: Why wasn't it good? Eddie Murphy was in it? Angela Basket, Yeah, Eddie Murphy is in a female Peg was in it.
Speaker 3: He was Yo, yo, you think it's a good movie.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, you think it's a good.
Speaker 2: Movie, iconic, legendary.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, boo boo.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna play this game where we worve around it. Because a bunch of people we like are.
Speaker 2: In butter Scotch behavior.
Speaker 1: Off the stage.
Speaker 2: I love it. I loved it. There's a lot of movie context also, it's sponsoring.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: But it's not a great movie, thank you, And that's fine, that's okay. That's kind of how it is with the Tyler Perry stuff.
Speaker 3: That's a good evil good who laugh?
Speaker 1: What's in his coffee?
Speaker 8: Meth?
Speaker 1: This is meth like behavior. This whole episode has been brought to you by meth.
Speaker 2: How dare you there?
Speaker 4: You text me an hour before the podcast and I brought my my sisterly love here to save the pod, and now you said, I'm on meth.
Speaker 2: Brothers, Where's where's brothers?
Speaker 12: It is he has that it literally exists sides. No, right, that's the problem. You don't even know how thorough this man is. There's an auntie, I'm hurting.
Speaker 1: This man made all the stuff and you I hear being like, it's already it could be subjective, no.
Speaker 5: Stop, how it is him being the devil to me does come down to more than content or anything. I think it's the way that he runs the ship that's that is the thing that I think that regardless of whether or not you enjoy it or you don't enjoy it. That is the sinister thread that we can all agree on, right, And that's the problem with Tyler.
Speaker 1: He's saving insane amounts of money it's fit to hoard for himself by not paying people what they're worth and not unionizing. And more than that, he then even saves more and more money by forcing people to work hours that are far beyond reason to stay sort of like insular inside of this fucking dome that it's It feels like we would be irresponsible to walk away from this episode and say that Tyler Perry is like a good guy.
Speaker 4: I just want to say, if we if Dave Langston and me die, we did not commit to.
Speaker 2: We did not kill ourselves. We did on this podcast.
Speaker 1: If if they find my body on Tyler Perry's studios, I did kill myself.
Speaker 8: Anywhere else.
Speaker 2: How is this down?
Speaker 8: I don't think anybody's paid attention because.
Speaker 1: Crazy supports it. No, they never listened to a single episode, mister James, iHeart plugged in the end phones. Well, I think we did it. I think we're I think we've concluded our all our positions on Tyler Perry, and they do seem vast and a little diverse. We we have varying sort of scales of what we consider to be evil about him.
Speaker 2: Is that Yeah, it's just crazy.
Speaker 4: We said all this stuff, and it's like we in this industry do we want to work?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a good feeling. I'll be okay.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean our good brother here English teacher, Abby, I mean you you living you like before me, like skinfore.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 8: We don't worry about me.
Speaker 10: The woman to fend for herself, Tyler, right you holding on his legs as he's trying to leave the house.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm ready give her a call, Sidney, before you, before you go on down to the compound, will you tell us?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 1: Will you tell us some cool shit you got.
Speaker 4: Going on new, brand new podcast. Well it's remixed, but it's called Mess. It's with me and your fabe, Marie Foston on my Heart Big Money Players Network, and we just came out and I'm very excited to be a part of the family. And obviously I'm on Instagram. Please follow me in order for me to get the promo and the brand deals that I deserve, I need.
Speaker 2: More followers, So follow me.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair.
Speaker 2: Just sid b W.
Speaker 4: I should be doing something with hair or makeup or you know. If the lesbians follow this, I'm sure they don't, but if you do, please follow me, just sid BW.
Speaker 8: We can have some lesbians to come a few three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always uh it's a girl and then her her much more more masculine.
Speaker 3: Watch your mouth, friend, watch your.
Speaker 1: Mouth, masculine presenting girlfriend who who is less happy to be there. It's usually the Yeah, it's like a small girl with glasses, and he was very nice, very nice, very excited, and then a a masculine presenting lady behind a camera being like, hey, y'all was y'all was cool?
Speaker 5: But I have seen a couple of times where it was a masculine lady and she put her small lady on.
Speaker 8: Oh nice. Oh yeah, I don't know the shot to that couple in d C.
Speaker 2: So it's only so it's only one couple of show coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, usually do better, do better?
Speaker 8: What can we do? What we talk about?
Speaker 2: I saved the podcast.
Speaker 4: I don't think you know, you understand they were looking for to be seen and that was me.
Speaker 1: Oh thank god, good job. Hell yeah, And you can follow me at Langston Kerman and we're still on the start to Steal tour. We want you to come out to the next couple of shows.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: We We've got Seattle, We've got Portland, we and Okay, that's all the ones that I think we're probably gonna have.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's it should be all right?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, anyway, and if you want to send us your own drops, your own conspiracy theories, if you want to tell us what Tyler Perry does for you, send it all to My Mama pod at gmail dot com. We would love to hear from you. By the merch of call your Mother, Sucker, Dick, myye Bitch. My Mama Told Me is a production of Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 8: Created and hosted by Langston KRK.
Speaker 1: Co hosted by David Bori.
Speaker 5: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Hansani and Olivia.
Speaker 1: Akilo, co produced by Bee Wayne.
Speaker 8: Edited and engineered by Justin.
Speaker 1: Kopfon, music by Nick Chambers.
Speaker 8: Artwork by Dogon.
Speaker 1: You can now watch happen pisodes of My Mama Told Me on YouTube. Follow at My Mama Told Me and subscribe to our channel