Speaker 1: Okay, hey, hey we're back. We're black, we're brown. We got to start like a little ensemble.
Speaker 2: I thought we harmonized beautifully.
Speaker 1: Right, me me? Right, do we celebrate? Did we share that we cracked top two hundred? Did we celebrate that?
Speaker 2: I'm all over the socials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean podcast we didn't mention it. Right.
Speaker 2: We should say hi to are. We have a bunch of new listeners lately, So welcome if you're new to the show, and thank you for joining us, and thank you to everyone who's stuck by us. But yeah, we're for some reason magic four year mark. People are paying attention. But yeah, we cracked top two hundred of all podcasts, which there's like tens of thousands.
Speaker 1: It feels like, oh more, I google to see how many iTunes podcaster. It's over half a million.
Speaker 2: Oh jesus crazy.
Speaker 1: Like when I saw that, I was like, wow, top two hundred of over half I think it's like five hundred and fifty thousand like podcasts.
Speaker 2: Like I was like, what, Well, when we pasted the read I was like, that's what we did. Yes, we were about well not anymore, you know, we dropped down a little bit, but uh, for a minute we were we outranked the Read and I was like, what, Crystal what I.
Speaker 1: Know, I love Crystal Kit theory. Honestly, those are my face I would I would totally geek out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was exciting. But yeah, it's top twenty in business podcasts, and you know what, like it means. It means so much to me just looking at those images of and you know, it sounds cliche, but our brown faces, brown and black faces on iTunes in those little square images, when you look at everyone else who's ranking, I mean it it is powerful and it means something to me. So when we see our you know, our friends who we don't really know, but some of them you know. But like you see the you see the dead Ass podcast and the Read and adulting podcasts and all these like people of color really killing it in the podcast game. Makes me so excited to be a part of that, you know, unofficial group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just I do love that because you're right, it's just like you know, I mean, it's just an amazing time to like start something because you have the ability to speak directly to your audience and you guys listen and you someone hit me up the other day and they were like, oh, you know what. I was interviewed by the Guardian and the young woman I was like, how'd you find me? She was like, brown a bithit, I love you and Mandy.
Speaker 2: I was like, what, you know?
Speaker 1: I just thought that was so awesome. That happens more and more. And I love when you guys come up to me and give me the hugs I don't ask for because you know, I'm uncomfortable with hugs, but you give it to me anywhere and I love it. And I love how you give me a hug for Mandy And when you see Mandy, you're like, give this to Tiffany, y give her two hugs. No, you guys are awesome, awesome, awesome. I just yeah, so yeah, So just thank you, honestly, thank you.
Speaker 2: I love you guys. You make this show happen. Go leave reviews if you haven't yet and you're new to the show. Reviews really help us get seen more in the iTunes environment. So leave reviews if you can, tell a friend, and just make sure you subscribe and keep listening. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 1: So what's happening on this rainy day for you?
Speaker 2: Oh so rainy let's see what happened. My dog walker canceled last minute. It's unfortunate. I'm getting a window into just what it is to try. And I mean, my friends always tell me you can't compare a dog to a child, but I'm like, I really have to keep this thing alive. And I have like work to do. And the last week our dog walker locked himself out. We've had some dog walker drums, you know, and the cost of dog walking is like starting.
Speaker 1: To add up.
Speaker 2: And then she was sick over the weekend and I was like, you know, if you're if you're like a pet parent, you have that you have that really terrible thought in your head, like should I take her to the vet? Oh, it's gonna cost money? Is it worth it? You're fine? And we had this, you know, and it's like an animal. And I was looking at her life like you're not that sick, are you, and thinking she pulled through, you know, fine, it was fine. But yeah, we haven't gotten pet insurance yet, so, you know, just her first round of you know, going for her checkup, not even get shots or anything like that, just to get like a checkup and a couple of tests run. I ended up spending three hundred four hundred dollars at the event over the course of two days. So out I.
Speaker 1: Should probably ped insurance work.
Speaker 2: Just like regular health insurance, except without you know, the benefit of the Affordable Care Act. You know, pets right now can be discriminated against by insurers for things like pre existing conditions or yeah, or even like if you're a breed that tends to have certain health complications or is more predisposed to have certain problems, insurers can deny you coverage or charge you more based on the breed. So there's that. But yeah, you just pay it like a monthly premium and then you most likely you have a deductible whenever you need it. You know, some pet insurance covers preventative care. Some it's like catastrophic. So I'm thinking about getting a catastrophic policy, which is a lot of what a lot of pet owners do, which is like, you know, if she were to get an act like hit by a car, oh god, I hope not, or getting a fight with a dog and you know, she breaks her arm, or she gets really ill because she eats something off, whatever, something really dramatic happens, it would cover something like that. I'm thinking about that, and then I'll just like keep money saving the side for those routine you know, preventive care checkups and whatnot. We'll see. But that's where I think people get in trouble with pets is when something really unexpected happens and then it's a huge bill.
Speaker 1: All yeah, because I can't remember I had a So I had a cat when I was a I think when din't I get it, I had to get it, like maybe like.
Speaker 2: The cat that went to live with your neighbor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, send the trader whatever. I'm not even mad at center, because you know, I couldn't give her the life to see deserved. She had to be out. But I remember, like because that was one of the things, like I begged my dad for this cat, and he's like, fine, you have to take care of everything, Like I'll drive you to the vet, but you have to pay for everything. And I had, you know, I babysat and and you know, I did like kind of little odd jobs around the neighborhood. And I remember like I took her to the vet, and like I remember, our bill was like one fifty and I was like wait and and my dad was like mmmm. But I paid it honestly, because you know, that was my baby. I was like, whatever, whatever she needs. I remember once I was so scared. I didn't you know, I was I was young, so I didn't know anything about heat, like animals going into heat, and she like, when cat's going to heat, they do this like arching back thing, you know. Basically, yes, they took the day backing that thing up, you know, and I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I just was like, what's wrong, Oh, you took her for that? Yeah I did, And of course was like she's just horny.
Speaker 1: My dad of course was giggling me while made me waste all my money. I guess you wanted be to learn a lesson. I was like, my cat is sick. She's sick, she's back in that thing of like yeah, and so I had to pay for I got. I got her newterd because I was like, she was like an outside inside cat, so you know, so I was like okay, and and so, but that was not cheap, you know, and I paid for that out of pocket like myself. And so it was just a really good learning lesson of like you know, taking care of something that needed you and setting inside that money. And yeah, I was like, now the neighbors have her, the neighbors have my kids, maybe me, and while she had everything she needed whatever, whatever, Cinder, I hope you enjoyed your life.
Speaker 2: Thank your name, per cut.
Speaker 1: Well, so this is kind of random, but today, uh, it didn't happen today because of the rain. But so the city of Newark, you know how like Detroit still no, not Detroit, Flint still does not have clean water.
Speaker 2: Yes, and just came out. They dropped criminal charges against basically everybody involved, which is just inculpable.
Speaker 1: And you know, so I didn't fully understand, like, you know, like what does it take? So I in Newark there was like an expos I don't know. Something happened when they were testing water and they found that Newerk, you know, because New York is a very old city, had lead pipes and there was like not every section of newer because some sections are newer, but some sections are newer were affected with lead in the water. So it was like this whole big thing, and I have to say, I'm really impressed with the way the city handled it. Like one as soon as it came out, I'm sure they knew already, but whatever, but as soon as it came out, they handed out like you could get free water filters, and then they instantly started like a replacement program. So one it started, the first phase was getting tested, like you signed up and it was free. They like hired contractors from around local contractors from around the city and its surrounding areas to come test. So someone came to our house, our new house, and tested our inside pipe and luckily it was copper, so copper pipes are fine. And then then they would test the outside pipes. And I mean, you did have to pay, because I believe my contractor was telling me that if I had to pay to replace the waterline in the street, that's over ten thousand dollars. So the City of Newark said the maximum you would have to pay to replace the copper or to replace your water lines inside and outside the house is one thousand dollars, which I don't know why you'd have to pay to replace copper lines outside your house, but whatever, And so I was like okay, so I signed up. They came by they said it's copper on the inside. And then so that means I just have whatever pipes are in the streets. So they're gonna replace they were supposed to do it today but it rained. But I just thought, like when I tell you, Mandy, it was so systematic. It was like, hey, here are your your filters? Then too, you know, sign up to have someone come by and check check your pipes because not everyone is affected. Then three phase three is okay, we're going like block by block to get you scheduled. And so our neighbors across the street they got theirs done today, like I said, because it was raining, they had to stop to do ours. But I just thought, like, I don't why hasn't this been done, you know what I mean. I know it's probably affected more so than Newark, but just watching the way Newark has handled it, I'm wondering, like why is this not being handled in that way, this systematic like approach, like this grid approach to like affected areas, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wonder if Newark is reacting to the crisis in Flint like they don't want the same nightmare.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean you can't have. They literally were finding like some of the schools had like in the water fountains had led like lead, Like that water had lead in it. That's how it all started. I don't know who tested it at first, but that came out and it kind of tumbled out to like it just in general that Newark because it was such an old city that many of the pipes were still led pipes, and so I just was just like really, like, you know, like it's disappointing that you know, it took all of this, but the fact that it's being like, you know, I think it's like a two year and like the two yeah, I think it was like two years. That's what I read that the whole city should be like lead pipe free, which is great, but it just made me think of Flint and asking like, are people so busy like trying to pass the buck that they're not just doing something about it?
Speaker 2: You know, Yes, that's what's happening, and uh, low income brown children are suffering. I think what happened with Flint is a pediatrician noticed it, like a or a researcher was looking at data from a pediatrician or youth in that area and then saw the patterns because it impacts it's really dangerous for children lead poisoning because it could just cause all kinds of developmental issues. My dad just texted me telling me not to go to the Dominican Republic. I'm like, great that news has reached the parents of America.
Speaker 1: I saw that, Yeah, So like is it all the same thing? Because some of it, I like, I was like, was it somebody attacked or is it just all the alcohol? Like I was confused as to like how they were aside from it being in the Dominican Republic. Were the deaths like related out of that, you know.
Speaker 2: So for those who haven't been watching Good Morning America like my dad does every day religiously, there have been this this spate of just unexplained deaths happening to people who are vacationing in the Dominican Republic and Punzakana, where you know, my husband's family is Dominicans. So I've been to several like Dominican vacations and weddings and stuff, and these are all inclusive resorts and they're you know, you know, they're like a luxury vacation destination. So the fact that these tourists have been dying, although the country still says that they're not related at all, it is kind of it's becoming like suspicious, you know. It's it's a lot of people yeah, my and my friends were texting earlier. Would you go to dr and I don't? I mean, you know it's I would wait to. I mean I feel like I feel bad for people who have booked vacations and don't have trip protection. Yeah, because then you're just like, well, you know, what are the odds all?
Speaker 1: Go? Right? I know I always think that, right when what something is? He like, I mean, is it really likely to happen to me?
Speaker 2: Or yeah? So yeah, I mean you know there's yeah, low odds, but uh, be careful out there if you're traveling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is like also random too. I think I'm going to write a traditional book. Well, let me not say traditional book because I've written obviously books before. But I think I'm going to traditionally publish a book.
Speaker 2: Right, you're wait, are you traditionally publishing the children's book?
Speaker 1: No, because I don't want anybody to own Molly Moore? But why so yeah no, yeah, so a different book because a couple of publishers, like big name publishers. If I would to say that, you'd be like, I know that, and then they've reached out and it's like other publishers have reached out before I just was kind of like, nah, no, no, no, but I don't know for some reason, like two or three in particular, maybe saying hmmm, I might be interested. But then I said, well, I have to get an agent because I don't want to navigate that space alone. You know. I'm like, I'm wise enough to know now that you don't go those things alone. So I reached out to a couple of people, and i'd spoken at south By Southwest. Gene Chatsky. You've probably seen her on the Today Is It Today Show?
Speaker 2: Or I think she's the Today Show financial expert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, super nice, and I think I met her at Fincon and then I was on her like podcast or something like that. She's just a really nice woman. So she'd asked me to speak at south By Southwest Edu, which is like the educational south By Southwest right like the day before the regular south By Southwest, and we spoke on Time Magazine had like a panel about kids and money. So anyway, so she was telling me about her new book called I think it's called Women in Money. She's like, you know, like, and I was like, oh my gosh, that's great, and then it like dropped my memory. I was like, do you have do you have a book agent? And she's like, yes, I have a kick ass book agent. She's awesome. And so she introduced me and she is kick ass. Like, first of all, you know, like I'm not a huge curser, but I kind of like a people curse.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have talked about this, the cursing book agent. Yes, tell me yes.
Speaker 1: So she's like really like I love her, She's great. And then we were talking about so this book agent did the four hour workweek. I was like, hold up, wait a minute, isn't that awesome?
Speaker 2: Oh that's the famous book by that guy. What's his name, Tim Ferriss, Yes, Productivity, Yes, correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so yeah, so I just thought like, well, she's started her own business. She's not whatever whatever agency that she did that through. But I just thought like wow, it just you know, was like this is awesome and amazing, and she honestly super nice. I met her in New York and she just gave me like my homework I have to do, like my proposals to like a month a month or so. But yeah, I'm excited, you know, like I never really thought about traditionally publishing, but there are some benefits because no matter what you know, you're obviously like the no one takes self publishing a serious obviously as traditional publishing. But for me, I didn't really care about that because I was like, well, I'm only here to be serious to dreamcatchers my audience, you know. And so because those books have done really well. And plus two, you know, when you publish traditionally, you really don't get I mean, if you don't get a good advance, you don't really make much money on the back end, you know, right, I mean, you know there's some things you could do to negotiate, but still nothing, I mean, nothing compares to getting seventy percent of your own book versus whatever it is. You know that you get traditional publishing. So I'm excited. So I'm the good thing is but Lynette, you know our fairy, our fairy financial godmother that we all love, Lynette Kaw f Annie Hawks. I think she's on Good Morning America. She's the like the go to financial expert there. So she was telling me because Lynette has a a New York Times bestseller I think a couple of them, but she has traditionally published and published also self published. She said, the great thing about having at least one or two traditionally published books is that when people love them, people tend to like buy all your books, you know, like, oh my god, I love Lynette. So she was like, it kind of like gives you more sale in where you get more money anyway, which is you know, the ones that you self published. So she was like, you know, she kind of gave me like the like the thumbs up, go ahead, like do it girl. So I'm excited, you know, I'm I'm still trying to figure out like what to the book. I mean, obviously personal finance, but like you know, what to the book kind of like be about because I figure I feel like I've covered, you know, so many other topics and so yeah, I'm just I'm just really excited. And it's exciting because that book, Tim Ferris's book before our work week, that book I used to read it during that time when the kids were asleep when I taught preschool for ten years, and it really helped me to start the budget Neista. I remember I had like a notebook full of notes and like it just really helped to like jump start like what I'm doing now. So what a full circle moment right, like she played this huge role in that and and you know, and that really helped that book play the huge role into what I'm doing now. So I'm like, look in, look at good.
Speaker 2: So you don't know what it'll be about, y'all. I'm still figuring it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I know it's going to be about personal finance obviously, but in what realm like for example, you know, don't have my literature challenge books. I've talked about budgeting. I have a budget book, I have a savings book, a credit book, you know. So it's kind of like, well, what you know, what how about this, y'all? Tweet me or like write under my Instagram post like what if you wanted a book for me? Like, you know, what would it be? So I have some ideas kind of swirling. I'm gonna save some of them to myself when I think, you know, I'll tell you offline, Mandy, but I you know, but I am really curious as that what do people actually need and want? And so she gave me some really great idea So I'm kind of like doing some research now. We have a few, like I'd written a few like social media posts like in the past, asking what people really needed help with, so I can get just an understanding of what do people really need and how do I deliver that. So but you can tweet me at the Budgetista or you know, post under my Instagram. The Budgetista was like, girl, I would love it for you to write about this or I'm struggling with this or whatever that looks like, because that would be really helpful because I don't want to write a book that you don't need, you know, So I'm excited. And so I actually picked up his book The Four Hour Workweek from Barnes and Noble today because I I am the type that when I the books that I like to write, I liked for them to have a formula, you know, like here are concrete steps with concrete things that you can do, not just like a book like that's just kind of like talking and like, you know, like theorizing about things I like to say today, pick up a pen and write this thing down. So and his book is like, you know, in alignment with that, So I was like, let me pick it up and kind of get that energy that helped me move that trance to help to transform my life. Because I want my book to have a similar energy in that it's transformative, but in a like a real way, you.
Speaker 2: Know, making me feel bad. I've never read that book before.
Speaker 1: I know I need to.
Speaker 2: I'm like the only person who's ever read it. I'm gonna pick it up too.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's a good Honestly, it's a really good book. It's just yeah, I mean it was really like I said, it was helpful, and it didn't. It didn't feel like, you know, he was talking over my head. It was just he was like one of the first guys to write in that bro language, you know, like you know, not like because most of these books, these business books are written by like I've got my MBA and I've got my doctorates and you want to you know, but he was like, hey, what's up, guys, Like that book is very much like that brosky kind of language. And even though he's totally like a bro, I didn't feel left out of the conversation. And somehow I felt like, Okay, this is for me too.
Speaker 2: Well that's so exciting. Okay, keep us posted, we'll do Shall we take some questions?
Speaker 1: Yes, let's all right.
Speaker 2: To appease the audience. Who thinks I'm ignoring them? In the regular email inbox, which I'm not. You can still send us questions at Brannivision Podcasts at gmail dot com or brannanbisionpodcast dot com. Ask us anything tab. The thing about questions is sometimes I will skip questions if we've already answered similar ones before. So I like to I like to get a nice variety. So if we don't answer your question, we can't get to every single question, and sometimes it may just be that we've answered something similar. So don't take it personally. We really appreciate you guys sending questions in and we try to get to We just try and get to the ones that are a little bit different than we have it.
Speaker 3: Don't take it personal. Who Mandy, quick, quick quick, don't take it personal. Literally, just one of them days, Mandy.
Speaker 1: That a girl goes through. Do I have to take your black and brown cart?
Speaker 2: You can? I think someone else has them. Actually, they've been stolen so many times and revoked. I'm in debt.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take me like I have your millennial card. Now, this card, I'm like, you know, yeah, so it's okay, it's okay. We don't find I was like, but you do know Monica the artist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know Monica, No you don't, I guess I do. Angel of My. I can only name two of her songs though, that one and the Brandy What was it the Boys?
Speaker 1: Because Angel of Mine? I feel like it's less popular than like Don't take a Wait? Is it one of those that was her first song? Like the one of them days? But anyway, anyway back to the questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was about to go into a whole thing with my travel. Kay, okay, whatever should out to Monica? Love her all? Right? Questions which I have promptly lost as I was talking about them.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: This question comes from Dizzle DG on Instagram. He says, hello, who this is a guy? Okay, Hello, My wife and I are working on I just corrected his grammar as I was reading it, which I know was annoying, but I sorry. I'm sorry, Dizzle. Hello. My wife and I are working on saving money, but are having a hard time putting money in places and leaving it there. Because of that, we're looking into putting our money into things that we can't easily access, like investing in mutual funds ETFs or bonds. Do you think this is a good idea or do you have any suggestions on better ideas for this type of saving. I feel your pain. Yes, you put the money away and then something happens and you dip into it. I've been there before.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I think we all feel like, like, how do you hide money from yourself?
Speaker 2: Mancha for a while, Like I used to be really extreme about it. I had my checking account in one place, and then I had like seven separate savings accounts and another bank that where I could open up as money as I wanted. Each savings account had a name. There was like nation name.
Speaker 1: You are men to judge me?
Speaker 2: Well, this was me. I've toned it down over the years. I've simplified things. Yeah, like the savings there was like the emergency fund, there was the vacation fund, the Christmas gift fund. I mean it was like I just remember seven different savings accounts. Lately, I have used my I've made peace with my like my four oh one K automatic savings or my for those of you who don't have a four oh one k your IRA. If ever I'm feeling like I'm doing something wrong, I'm like, but I'm still saving ten percent of my income each month or ten to fifteen percent, depending on I Sometimes they ratchet it up for retirement, and I always have like peace of mind knowing that I had this money in the bank and that I can't touch it without penalties, you know, without tax penalties or or or taxes to pay on it, because there's all these rules associated with it. So I feel good about that. And then, you know, if I dip into my savings once in a while, especially when we were doing the house, like the savings was like seriously depleted, I could at least feel comfort knowing we never stopped saving for retirement. But as far as, like you know, I do think it's you know, if you're talking about it depends on what you guys are saving for you and your wife. If you're saving for that emergency fund where okay, leaky roof car breaks down, you should have that money somewhere you can access that. You just got to be disciplined, So try putting in a different bank account that you don't have a debit card tied to that you can't easily access. You know, they don't have the account. Never memorize things like that. But if we're talking about money that you don't need for a year or two. Yes, I think CDs can be great. You know, we opened our first couple of CDs a year or two ago because rates were getting a lot better than savings accounts and it seemed like it made sense. So I'm a fan of that. And you know, as far as like mutual funds ETFs, now you're talking about investing, and you have to be aware that if you're going to be saving in the market, you know, it's more investing and you could the potential for reward is higher, but the potential for losses is higher too. So you know, you don't want to be put in your emergency fund for you know, unexpected emergencies tied up in the market, because you know what, if something bad happens, then your backup plan is completely obliterated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say that, like if I mean, I would keep my emergency fund, you know, kind of like locked away at like a an online only bank, you can. I just actually sent somebody to Magnified Money yesterday. I was one of my friends. We did like a barter. She is like an amazing photographer, and so she was like, hey, can you just like help me kind of like look at my money and see like what I could do to tighten up. I was like, sure, can I get some free pictures? So we did a barn She's like sure, and so she so, but we actually I actually told her go on Magnified Like I took her on Magnified money dot com. I was like, click savings and then like I showed her like, see, these are like these online only savings accounts that I really love, and look for the ones that are a FDIC insured minimum deposit like you know zero basically highest interest rate, and and that you don't have to have a certain deposit in order to like do you have you don't have to maintain a certain deposit in order to get that industry. And so she picked one that she felt like comfortable with but saving like emergency funds there it at least don't open up a checking account at that bank, but it at least provided that buffer of like twenty four to seventy two hours. That's how long it takes to get your money back if you attach your online only savings account to your traditional checking account, so it's checking account at a different brick and mortar bank savings account online, so that will help a little bit, because literally there's no way for you to get your money except for to make that transfer and wait at least twenty four hours and then you know, outside of an emergency fund, you know, I think most of us, if if we keep money laying around too much or you know, we're apt to spend it. And so yeah, so I mean it are you that extra money if if it's saving for a specific thing or it's just like there's this extra money, and then you know, then I would look to invest in I particularly like like Vanguard. These people are not you know, mag Ifi. My money doesn't pay me. They pay the Vaney though, but she worked there. But but like Vanguard doesn't pay me anything. But I like Vanguard as far as like if I'm going to look for mutual funds and ets, and I like their philosophy as a company. They've got a really low expense ratio, which is basically the fee that they that they charge you in order to in order to manage your money. I think, like last of my check was like well under one percent. I don't quote me, but I mean that's the last time I checked. And so yeah, you should be investing. I mean, I don't know, if there you guys are investing, Like, are you setting aside at least ten percent of your income for retirement? If that's not the case, maybe start beefing that up a little bit. But yeah, just having your money languishing is you know, it's a problem we all have. I know, I've definitely been there, and so I've been making changes, so it's not just kind of sitting there doing nothing waiting to be spent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you guys are, it sounds like the problem is that you're putting money away, but then you're finding that you need it for something. So maybe it's like the symptom of a deeper issue, which could be cash flow. Like, you know, take a look at your expenses versus what you guys have have coming in. Do you have unrealistic expectations of how much you can save? You know, should you be starting smaller working your way up, or are there some expenses you can cut to give yourself more wiggle rooms you can put away more money and you know, just you know, go easy on yourself. Saving a little bit is better than nothing. So yeah, take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah slow and thank you your question. Yes, And I like CDP. I know people are like CdSe like old people. But I'm like no, I opened up CDs like for my my nieces and my nephews.
Speaker 2: I mean, CD rates are now cooling off because the FED has stopped raising rates every which way like they were for the past you know, decade. It it felt like, or certainly the last few years, rates were just going up all the time, and now they've slowed down. So CD rates have slowed down too. But if you're if you're torn between savings versus CDs, just ask yourself, well you need the money, you know, before that CD rate is up. Do you really really not need the money before you tie it up in a CD and then compare rates you know, sites like yes, Magnify Money, but there's other sites too. You can easily compare rates online now to be sure you getting the best deal out there. Thanks for your question, Dizzodig, and let's go to an email question from listener Aria. I hope I said that right. Credit card question. Aria says, I'm twenty five years old, young professional with a credit score a little over seven hundred can grass girl? I think my credit score is over seven hundred and twenty five. I have student debt in a car loan. I'm working to get refinanced, but I'm looking into applying for my first credit card, and I'm at a loss. My mom's telling me to go through Wells Fargo. Of course she is, and other friends, all of your friends are telling me Capital One or Discover. I foresee myself traveling often in the future, so I would potentially like a card where I can get points, rewards, or miles. I currently have a best Buy credit card. So this isn't your first credit card then, yeah, but uh, I currently have a best Buy credit card and a Care credit card for health care expenses. I don't use them often, but when I do, I pay them off within the month. Proven to myself, I'm financially responsible, so I trust myself with the card now. So she's looking for her next credit card, not her very first credit card. Well, it's great that you've, you know, gotten those other two credit cards improved. You can be responsible, yes with those, Yeah, that's the key. And I don't think I'm thinking the best Buy credit card doesn't have I think my husband has one. They doesn't have an annual fee, and Care we.
Speaker 1: Have we have one too, of Best Buy credit card. Superman has one. I don't think there's annual fee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that care credit card you got to be careful with because they're the ones that tell you will give you six percent zero percent interest financing to get your you know, invisi line or to take your you know, take your dog for surgery or whatever. And then if you don't pay off the debt before that interest period, that intro promotional period's over, they slap you with deferred interests usually, which is like pretend as if you were paying interest all along, but they just waited until then to slap it onto your bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it sucks. So that's good to be mindful, I would say, honestly, of course you like you like Mandy said. Of course your mom said, wells Parker, because you know, like they like try true. Yes, I made a physical bag. You don't, honestly, like Mandy and I both have that.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: I always call it go ahead girl.
Speaker 2: Chase good Time cards.
Speaker 1: I never get the name of it right, But it's really the Sapphire Reserve, right, is that what it's called?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Chase Sapphire Reserve. So if you but the thing about this card, I don't know if I would recommend that card for her, and remember we're not you know, let's take your advice with the grain of salt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot the monthly the annual fee, Yeah, I wouldn't do.
Speaker 2: That because these cards are sexy, the Chase Reserve and other you know, lucrative travel rewards cards because they give you that three points per dollars spent on things like travel and eating out. And then they give you that three hundred dollars travel credit per year where they reimburse you for everything from Uber to train fair to air fare, and they give you these perks, but they charge what is the annual fee, four hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: But for me it's worth it. But it's just like Berth there for you listening.
Speaker 2: Especially twenty five years old, like, you know, you may not want to go that just get to that extreme quite yet. I love a simple you know, you know, you say they're traveling often in the future, but think about your day to day spending habits today and I would say, a nice flat rate cash back credit card that's going to give you a flat rate on all your purchases. Like I've been a fan of the City Double Cash card myself, because you get one percent when you make your purchase and then you get another percent when you pay off the card each month, so really it's a two percent cash back, flat rate card. I think that's a solid card to have in your wallet for every day spending. If you want the travel reward card without the high annual fee, you could take a look at Uber. Uber has a travel card out now. I think it doesn't have an annual feed and it gives you four X points on spending like travel and dining, and it has some kind of perks for Uber rides itself, I think. And then what was I thinking of? Oh, the step down from the Chase Reserve is the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which I think is ninety five dollars. And again, like check these cards out yourself. I'm just rattling off the top of my head, but make sure you know the most recent terms on these cards. But Chase Fire Preferred I think is two points on travel and then it's ninety five dollars a year. So as long as you think you'll travel enough to make at least that much money and rewards are more ideally, then it can be worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, being mindful, like, take it slow, don't. It's easy to get a credit card, I mean, because you have your best By card and you have the other your care card. But the thing is those you know, are pretty limited, like you spend it at best Spot, So having a card that you can use anywhere is a different animal. So you know, just adhere to that same rule of paying it off in full by the month and you'll be you know, you'll be good to go. It's it's easy to go crazy with your first card, but you know, you've proven yourself to be responsible. You've got a great credit score, you're young, and you've been able to manage thus far. But just like I said, just just be mindful because it's easy to you know, one white because another swipe and before you know, you're like, yikes. Don't be afraid to leave that card at home if you feel tempted, and to take out your debit card and bring.
Speaker 2: It with you. Yeah, it's one hundred percent, and you know, and do your research. And as far as like choosing a credit card with a certain bank, it doesn't really matter. You know, you should pick the card even if it's at a bank you never heard of. Before pick the card that has the best terms, the best rewards for your lifestyle, and it's not going to charge you high fees and has good customer support and you know all that well as far Ago may have a good travel card. But compare your options and I'll share a link to a couple of a couple of roundups of the best travel cards where you can get started. But think about that nice flat rate cash back credit card that I'll just serve you every day too, because I think that's a nice entry level. And then you can test yourself with the rewards card. Are you going to be spending more just to earn that reward? You know, that's the temptation of these travel cards is that they get you to spend more so that you get those points. But then can you really afford to pay it off each month? And if you can't, then it's not worth it. But good luck, and keep that seven hundred credit score that'll.
Speaker 1: Serve you well, yes, more than anything else. That's more important than that credit card.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you for your question, Aria, and again hit us up on Instagram at Brandonbision podcast on the Gram, or by email Brandibision Podcasts at gmail dot.
Speaker 1: Com dot com. Now it's time for booster break? Which one will you give? Or Okay, you.
Speaker 2: Gotta remember these jingles?
Speaker 1: I don't ever like I just forgot it already, you already.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm like, hey, hey, hey, stuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all yeah, that was stuck With all the rest of them. I'm like, because we actually had some really good I feel like we what we should do a compilation all those jingles because I was like, that was a good Remember I had one where like I rhymed for like almost a minute straight. I said, look at you, Tiffany, you could have been a rapping No, I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: Seven to seven episodes, I know.
Speaker 1: I'm just soul like for you guys rideing with us. So are you gonna have boosted? Are you gonna have break it?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do a break because I have been to a couple of these meetings in the past couple of weeks and it drives me nuts as someone who doesn't want to waste people's time, and whenever I asked someone to do a meeting with me, I feel like I must come with an agenda. So I just hit the highlights and if I love ending meetings early so I can say I'm gonna give you fifteen minutes of your life back. It's my favorite. I love it. I was at a meeting last week where it ended at the forty minute mark. It was supposed to go an hour, and the person hosting the meeting just continued to he was like, oh, we've got twenty minutes left. How do you feel about da da da da da? And you know that price the tea in China and what's happening in the Dominican you know, just like all and I was like, you've got to give people their time back?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: So that's actually not my break. My break is a meeting with no agenda. So and especially if you're in an environment where time is precious and you know a lot of people are involved, Like I just love just three bullet points, you know, not even like a PowerPoint, just like what is this meeting going to achieve? What is the goal of the meeting? And then like telling people before you start the meeting, like in advance, what the like the three things you want from them at that meeting. Like setting expectations is so important and for me, it's all about like like I want meetings to end and people feel like, oh, okay, we move the needle to achieve something, or we know what the next steps are, and it just drives me a little Craik kray when meetings were like, clearly the person hasn't prepared, they don't really know what they're you know, they call people together and the I'm not sure why and we're just gonna ramble and talk, you know, for half an hour and didn't do nothing, and it's just like, you know, thank you for not valuing my time. It's what it feels like.
Speaker 1: One in my head out because we have a monthly team meeting like once a month obviously like a full team meeting, and I had the wrong agenda, so I'm like going on, you know, like whatever, and then I'm like calling, I'm like, oh, yeah, at least I see you're on here, so what's going on with It took to like the third person, so I called on our intern cares and said to kios Kiars was like, I'm not even gonna lie, I'm not even ready, like I don't and someone was like, I think you're on the wrong agenda. I'm like, why did y'all let me get right through the meeting?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I was like, come on now, and I was like, meanwhile, y'all so ya, I mean, she stepped up, was like, okay, well the uptick for our financial freedom plan, I mean, and I was like, she was like, I'm not gonna lie, Tiffany. I was like wait and mom being gend So everyone just stepped it up and pulled whatever it is they had to pull out of their behind to be like, look, I don't I'm not prepared. But I just thought it was hilarious that it took cares the intern to be like, I'm not sure why my name is on there. I did not request it. It was so cute, and I was like, so yeah, So, I mean, we try not to waste people's time. We try to keep our meetings under an hour. But yeah, no, I totally get that. Or just sometimes like even when folks hit me up on like social and it's high and you're like, okay, I know they have a question, and I don't mind ask a question, but you don't have to butter me up and wait for me to say hi back. Just hey, Tiffany, you know, thanks so much for blah blah blah. I have a question, like you can put it all in one sentence, because that whole that initial high or that initial hey, what's up. It's like, I know you have a credit question. I know you got a budget questions. It's okay, literally see a bunch of these, stay account. I don't want if you get to it, even when you see me in person, like I don't honestly, I honestly don't mind unless I'm like rushing off and I'm racing off somewhere you could tell that I'm you know, busy, or if I'm on the phone, you know, and even then typically I'm you know, I might be if I'm at like a whole food, I'm probably talking to like my sister or my mom or something. I don't mind helping. But yeah, for me, I just like people just to get to the point because we're dragging it out and you're gonna ask the question anyway, so let's get to it.
Speaker 2: If I could just wear a T shirt that had one slogan, it would be to get to the point or tell me what you really want to say.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I hate when people just like passive aggressive don't teay what they want to say. Oh, that's more breaks. I'm just breaking all the place.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm like the Queen of passive aggressive. But it's okay, we're gonna We're gonna deal with that. So I am going to boost because I'm super excited. In the mail today I receive the paper it said DreamCatcher trademarked. I know. I'm like, meanwhile, wait what I know? I can finally speak on it now because I was so scared that someone was gonna trade it.
Speaker 2: Has been.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's been like at least six or seven I.
Speaker 2: Think I'm cucy it wasn't already trademarked by some money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, well DreamCatcher at the way I'm using it, So DreamCatcher. It's like I think it said something like what does it say to be used as like a like a a social club to support women in their financial goals or something like that. So I mean, obviously I don't like, you can use DreamCatcher ten thousand ways, just not in this way, like the way I'm using it. So like another financial person couldn't say my group is called Dreamcatchers. You know, so because when you trademark, like for example, I saw a four Seasons, like we know four Seasons is like the fancy hotel but I saw a four seasons garden shop, so clearly, like the four seasons hotel does not own, there's four seasons for the garden shop. So so yeah, but I'm just excited because I was just like, yeah, I you know, I was sleeping and sleeping on it, and it takes about a year. But by the time you like apply, but by the time they you know, they go through all the rigamar roles. So I just want to shout out Tony Moore of Legally Chic. She's so awesome honestly, like I said, I mean, I have two lawyers, but Tony does like my day to day stuff. So she's the one who kind of like not kind of, but she does all my trademarks and stuff. Now, she's really great. She's she's fast, she's swift, he's sharp as hell. And yeah, so we've got a couple of other trademarks coming down the pipeline, like she was the one. Like. What I love about Tony too is that she'll like check up and be like, uh, I remember when my trademark for the budgeties to expire. Can you imagine? Oh god, I know, I mean luckily I have.
Speaker 2: It obviously, but because their brand ambition, trademark expired. When does that happen?
Speaker 1: So I think the way it's I think it's like the first because trademark supposed to last for ten years, but I think it's like it's five years then like seven and ten. I don't know, like it'll they'll send an email though, but you just.
Speaker 2: Tell Tony's our lawyer, tell her to.
Speaker 1: Check you're right. I forgot that she did our and she did our like our our stuff too, but yeah, Tony's awesome. But yeah, I was like, so she just sent me the thing in the mail. I was like woo yay. Yeah. I definitely was on pins and needles for that one cause I.
Speaker 2: Was like, yikes, it's official on T shirts.
Speaker 1: Now I know exactly, so that's another trade. But it's that crazy in order to put that on T shirts. I think that's another trademark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true. It is just give the government more moneies, ah.
Speaker 1: More money, it is. But I'm like whatever, But as long as like I own that as it relates to like financial groups, I'm good to go.
Speaker 2: I love having that little letter with a little gold steel on it. Yeah, it's special.
Speaker 1: I got like, you know, it was like some one of those big envelopes in the nail and I'm like opening it, like what is this? And I was like, so I was excited. I was I had to share with the dream Catchers. I'm like, should I share it? I think I'd be like, girl, we haven't been official. I'm like, whatever, we're official now.
Speaker 2: But you don't know, can't hurry.
Speaker 1: You exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: That's exciting. Book deals, popping, trademarks, popping. Your book should be called Tiffany.
Speaker 1: Ink about how I start of? No, I don't think. I feel like I want to wait until I wouldn't write a business book, not that you can't, but I want to wait until I have an eight figure a year business. Then I feel like, okay, I've gotten not that, like you know, like a you can't have a five figure year business and write a business book. But I feel like then, because I really want, I want to write a business book called do good like you know, help good people, do good work, make good money, Like how do you do that? That's like, honestly, that's like a book that I have in me that I'm not writing any time.
Speaker 2: So that's the book do that? You're like, why do you need eight figures. Why these arbitrary numbers? I don't know, you know, how you have like a like a thing seventy ten years ago? Can you imagine eight figures? She's probably can I get four figures?
Speaker 1: What exactly? Because I legitimately, I think my first year of business made like two thousand dollars. I was like, oh, clearly I was living off unemployment. But yeah, no, but I do want to write like a business book about that, Like how do you do that? How do you run a business without you know, being like some terrible person and like, you know, and helping good people and giving a lot away for free? Like what does that look like? To run a profitable business that kind of feels like a nonprofit but it's profitable, you know. So yeah, I mean I'm still you know, I'm still learning. That's why I kind of feel like maybe that's why I said eight figures, because I feel like then i'd be like, not that I wouldn't be learning anymore, but then I would feel like, Okay, because we're multi seven figures now, and I really think we'll hit eight figures by next year. That's what we're our trajectory is looking like. But I feel like that's like a figure that people really take seriously, Like, you know, my business makes ten to twenty million dollars a year because you know, like everybody you know, when I tell them about doing good work, it sounds so cool bay yah, But then you're like, oh, well my business makes twenty I don't make twenty million dollars a year now. But to say like, yeah, it's not just coom baya, it works. You can you know, you can help people, you can give a lot away for free, you cannot overcharge. You can do those things and have an eight figure of year business Like that's what. For some reason, I just feel like that's like a serious business number that folks who might otherwise poo poo at like you know, helping people and being good to people, would be like, well, you know, I mean, she's got a viable business. It's not a small you know, like I don't what is it a small do you know, like what a small business equal? Like when you're your annual income. I wonder what like the threshold is for a small business might have more to.
Speaker 2: Do with the number of employees I have. I don't really know.
Speaker 1: Well that's true. I think you're writing I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, though, tiff I feel like you start writing it now. By the time you get this tenth to eight figures, you'll be ready to publish. Perfect timing you. Yeah, that's that's the book. I feel like we need general personal finance advice. There's plenty of those. You know, what can you bring that no one else can bring? And you know better than anyone how to start that business that does good and makes good money. Yeah, that's the Tiffany. That's the Tiffany Magic.
Speaker 1: Ink.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, now it's time to say goodbye to you. Searched for it. You know me so well? Like I suppose a song we're gonna end with.
Speaker 2: We're doing this podcast in our eighties. We'll be like, here we go.
Speaker 1: First, I'm gonna be like, no, it's wait, who are you? Who a