Speaker 1: The volume, calling all college basketball fans, I have some must watch TV for you. In two exciting new document series, Vice Sports will follow legendary head coaches Arkansas John Caliperi and Saint John's Rick Patino as they lead their teams through the ups and downs, triumphs and trials at his long competitive college basketball season.
Speaker 2: Each series features unprecedented behind the scenes access exclusive interviews that provided intimate look at their coaching styles and how each works to get the most out of their players.
Speaker 1: Caliperi Razors and is Aaron now on Mondays at ten pm.
Speaker 2: Easter and Patino's Red Storm Rising premieres now and on Tuesdays at ten pm Eastern Time only on Vice TV.
Speaker 1: Tune in each week. Check the Lincoln the bio for where to watch Vice TV.
Speaker 2: That's right, what's up?
Speaker 1: Everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Show with my dog.
Speaker 2: Beating you the boss? You the boss? How you feeling?
Speaker 1: I feel good, bro, I'm getting stronger.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm working, working, putting the work in so I can get back. Not playing basketball is born, so doing rehab, shuck. I do a lot of rehabs. I shorten it doing that shit every day is what. But I feel good, Bro, I'm getting stronger. That's the goal. We'll see you know, so, but I feel good, brother good. Can't complain. But before we get into this special episode, please subscribe to The Draymond Green Show with Baron Davis so you don't miss any episodes.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Follow the show on all social media platforms at Draymond's Show so you don't miss none of them. Are amazing announcements Before our guess interview, I like to hear your thoughts, Trey on the recent buzz suggesting that it may be time to blow up the Warriors.
Speaker 4: Are it's crazy? I saw that.
Speaker 1: I was like, I saw I saw something that had a trade packed with me and Steph package together.
Speaker 4: I said, damn man.
Speaker 1: That. I was like they gave reasoning behind it, and I was like, man, and yeah, I just don't know, like like Steph Curry is an All Star starter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like, and.
Speaker 1: I like to think I'm a halfway decent basketball player, and so I just don't know that the answer is like you got an All Star, Like if you say you want to be a good team, right, I'm not sure the answer is like trade away an All star starter. Okay, so let's get past that. I'm also not sure the answer is trade away just at the trade deadline. Guys who've built a dynasty orzation that never had a dynasty, Like I don't think that's just the method of things. So I get his point, you know what I'm saying. I get his view banished point. You know what I'm saying. I understand what he's saying. I got what he was getting at. I'm just not sure that like that's what's going to happen at a trade deadline, Like that's kind of that's like something that like so many people have to talk just on a respect level and what's been built, you know what I'm saying, to do something like that at a trade deadline, I just don't think.
Speaker 4: It's highly likely.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it's just too many moving pieces, Like I just don't foresee to.
Speaker 4: Have not definitely not trade that line.
Speaker 2: But as far as you know that time, people are starting to say, oh it's that time, Like what other Warriors going to do? They've been hovering, they started out high, you know, but when I look at y'all season, I say, it's a this is gonna be your ultimate test, because once you guys get everybody back, y'all got to hit her.
Speaker 4: Y'all.
Speaker 2: Y'all, y'all just won six game, five game winning streak away from being back and forth, quiet building, and then you have the talent, right, Kaminga came a long way this year, right, especially with you out. I think his breakthrough game was the Clipper game I went to when he finally figured it out. I could do everything right offensively, defensively, you know. I think that he has so much more room to improve. I think the whole team got room to improve. But when you look at the injuries and how you guys have been injured, it's been staggering, and it's like staggering injuries. Right, get off to a good start, then everybody start falling off. First it was dmil Boom. Then that was just the Domino effective you know, to to estimate to the season. So I don't think personally that you're at the blow up fans. I think when you look at the record, you say, oh shit, they're in eleventh or tenth, but you're also three games out of fifth, but four games out of third, five games out of third or something like that. So I wouldn't panic, but I know, like long term people are thinking, oh, it may be time to blow up the Warriors. I feel like, just like I felt at the beginning of the year, you guys are right there talent wise with everybody else.
Speaker 1: There's not many teams that is from a talent perspective in the NBA. Cleveland has a good amount of talent. Okay, see obviously Boston right like, but most NBA teams in the talent pool is kind of like right there, which, by the way, is what y'all want it Like y'all wanted no super teams, y'all wanted, no dynasties, y'all wanted like fair play sight uh you know, like that's what everybody wanted, and that's essentially what you got. And then everybody saying the league ain't that fun like that like now you see, but like beggars can't be choosers, man, like you chose that you like, that's that's the game that everybody wanted, Like, oh, we don't want.
Speaker 4: To see Kevin Durant with the Warriors. We don't want to.
Speaker 1: See And now that you don't see those teams, it's not as exciting because you always speak about like those rivals, you know what I'm saying, like having those rivalries, it's hard to create that. Yeah, it's hard. It's hard to create that. And so yeah, I definitely think we're still Hey, if I just look at the games, we've just completely blown this year, just those games, a long war spourth place, third place, that's for a games out there, we've completely just blown, like taking games light a match to it, like completely blown games. So just those alone, we're right there. And what does right there mean? Does that mean we're right there to win a championship? No, that's not what that means. That means we're right there with the rest of everyone else that's trying to figure it out, and we have a chance to figure it out, and we're gonna do that and we're going to go for that. So that's what it is. That's where it's at. That's what it's going to be for now, and we will continue on long term, long term. At some point. It's got the end, right, Like that's just some time, man, Like a long term it's ending for sure. Is it closer to the end than it is?
Speaker 2: Transformation? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't not necessarily say you guys have the ability to create, to have a chance information.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, And that's kind of the whole idea of when you're going to two part timeline, right, like not just gonna go in all best because you know you're gonna bottom out with right, So you've go on this two part timeline. Right now, it's starting to get to that point of where you start to see it that's kind.
Speaker 4: Of what you were going for. So you still got to give that a chance to work.
Speaker 1: You can't just support mission because that a two timeline thing. That's not a one year thing. Like it takes time to build up guys to be ready to get at that level. So that's kind of what we went with. And it's kind of getting in that space now or where you see if it pans out ultimately, but you still you're still not at the point of where it's like, oh it was supposed to pan out this shit, Like, I think you're still in that room like Jonathan Cominga doesn't have a new contract, right, so you're still in that space.
Speaker 2: I think the smart teams make transformations. They don't blow things up and start over. Now, because if you blow something up up and start over, you have to get lucky. That means you got to have the number one pick when it's the number one pick, and it got to be a win, bey, it gotta be a you know, one of them ones. And then you have to have you have to rebuild. It takes you way longer to rebuild to be mediocre, right, or to be yell, to be mediocre and not make the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Then it takes you to transform to be in the top ten, which is still the playoff position, and be one or two players away from being in the top four.
Speaker 4: Yep, Yeah, that's the pact. Well said.
Speaker 2: And I like that too, that two part. I like what you said about that, like playing the two parts because that that's the transformation. As as two more years, those kids are going to be All Stars NF four Awards and they take the rain. And now you don't have to go and get veterans because your veterans are contribute high level. Like just like we talked you know on previous podcasts, you need vets to stabilize, but the vets are gonna win the playoffs for you.
Speaker 4: M M one bus right, So new.
Speaker 2: Terrain for them, all terrain for them. You know, it's it's they've been through it together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 5: Who's scoring big in the NBA this season? You are all the new ways to get in on the action of DraftKings sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NBA Slams. Dishing the ball, cleaning the glass, get behind your favorite players. Prop bets you can make on DraftKings. It's fun the home of NBA player props. If you're ready to place your first bet, make it really simple. Pick how many points your favorite player is going to score. Go to DraftKings sports Book. They have an app, download it make your pick. If you're a first timer, here's something special. Half Kings customers. All you have to do is about five bucks. Get one hundred and fifty in bonus bets instantly, So take it to the rack with DraftKings Sportsbook, Every point Counts. Download their app takes ninety seconds. Use the code column C L I N to get one hundred and fifty bones in bonus bets betting just five only on DraftKings.
Speaker 6: The crown is yours gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and y or text Hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after ISSUEINS four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: We got an incredible guest today, the number one pick in the twenty ten.
Speaker 4: NBA Draft from the University of Kentucky.
Speaker 1: All NBA All Defensive Team member, five times NBA All Star, NBA Slam Dunk Champion, NOE.
Speaker 4: Another, the one and only Jay Wall. What's up, my brother?
Speaker 3: What's up? Saying? Much chilling? How you?
Speaker 4: Bro? I can't complain. I can't complain at all. Man. We appreciate you coming on, Bro.
Speaker 2: John Wall, my dog? What's up? Happy to hew you on the show. Bro, Happy to have you on the show. You know you know how I feel about you. You know you wanted the greats, you wanted a grace of your time. You're a game changer. You came in and I say, you know, you have the same kind of effect from the media side like a Alan Iverson when you think about social media and when you think about you know, uh, becoming an icon early right and being able to hold that carry that torch right and lead this new generation. I always look at you as you know, a legending of all right and a pioneer as far as being able to shepherd in this new energy of point guards right. The dudes is dunking guys with personality speaking quickness. You know, how do you guard somebody like that? Just wanted to just shout you out, man, Just give your flowers on the show, you know before we get going.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that. Appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fine, that's well, sir, brother. I'll tell you why BD. That was incredible. You had no choice.
Speaker 2: But to get that brothers flowers after he dunked on birthday.
Speaker 4: I'm watching this, Dre.
Speaker 2: You know what, Hey, Dre, I'm telling you it's gonna be a moment You're gonna be like, Okay, I'm on my way out.
Speaker 4: Damn. That was that was that moment. That's what you knew the end was there.
Speaker 2: I jumped on alive and I don't know why I jumped on a live like I wasn't gonna get the ball, but I didn't wasn't thinking nobody was.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't thinking like a guard man. This man jumped all over me, dog and I like that. Mike Bibbie, he was like, happy Birthday. I was like, this ship over, bro.
Speaker 4: Over you thought that ship was funny.
Speaker 2: Come bro, you thought that ship was funny?
Speaker 1: Oh man, So question how much money did you proceed to steal after that? If you knew that, if you knew right in that moment it was over, how much money did you proceed to still live?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I was done, That was done. That was the year I got hurt here. Yeah, that's hey, bro. I just came back. So I was like, damn, I'm feeling good. I'm getting some minutes after that dunk, I was like, okay, I ain't got too much. Long's it's over. And it was over at the end of that year in the playoffs. It's fucked up, man. When you know you know you know.
Speaker 4: And j Watt that's your rookie year.
Speaker 7: No, hell no, not second year. That's my second that's the Yeah, that's my second year.
Speaker 4: No, that's probably like your third year.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: Now you're trying to don't try to advance them a launch. I was just starting.
Speaker 2: Man, it had to be a star year because I remember I think it was his rookie year or second year rookie.
Speaker 7: I had him zig takes on him hot top, So I know it wasn't that. I ain't had him on it me now, but.
Speaker 4: I played against sa I played.
Speaker 1: Say they may say the year on this clip, give me one second.
Speaker 4: The rookie, Now that was another person that was what year?
Speaker 1: How far apartment Huge Singleton is a rookie on this clip, it's like a huge that's my second year.
Speaker 7: I think exactly thinks because that's what because I remember when when uh it's Mellow me Melo on the knicks right now right.
Speaker 1: Uh, I see I see shump, I see shump, I see that out the twelve.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, I see Mellow.
Speaker 7: That's the year Mellow came to the y'all came to the d C and Mellow had like twenty straight like ago in the second second, Quardy for having Chris like don't see no.
Speaker 4: Help on.
Speaker 7: We need to see in double This ain't no Florida State where you got boxes and elbows.
Speaker 3: And we just sat there watching get abused in the mid post for four minutes straight. Drake who was the.
Speaker 7: Coach ye had four fouls going into the halftime, was Flip still the coach. I think flipsids wist of the coach. If nah, I think that's when Randy Whitman took over.
Speaker 4: That's old school NBA though, Bro, if you're that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: When I came in there was like listen, we talked coach, listen, we ain't help you if you get.
Speaker 3: He said, he don't need no help.
Speaker 4: Don't leave him on, Bro, that's what you don't do.
Speaker 1: I'm we keep talking about what these guys don't go through now in the NBA. And that's another one of those things, bro, Like rookies don't get thrown in the fire and be like yo, you go stop that guy there, Like if a rookie can't guard, they're going to try to hide the rookie like it's crazy, you know what I'm saying, Or like yo, they'll try to go zone and as opposed to like Chris Singleton, a guy who actually wasn't a good defender his years in the league. Right here as a rookie getting cooked for sure, right, and y'all just like, no, that that is what that's old NBA.
Speaker 4: Bro, It ain't like that. He asked me that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then they run his own they showing on screens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's way different. But I do remember I think I was in Golden State. It was your rookie year, and we was beating the crap out of yard Man, and I don't know what you did, but you just kept getting the ball out of bounds.
Speaker 4: Remember that he was going one on.
Speaker 2: One on five, fast breaking. Nobody could stay in front of him. Coach called three timeouts. It was like, nobody can stop him. So he well, shoot bull, say we score. He'll get the ball right down the court and he was trying to bring him back. I damn near dove in front of you, bro, just to try, and.
Speaker 4: There was no way.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn, dude, I ain't never seen nobody this, This was crazy. I ain't never seen nobody that fast in my life. The Warriors and speed, Hey, bro, he was everybody on the team. Nobody could stop him. That shit was wild j Wall.
Speaker 1: Have you seen anybody in the NBA uh from baseline the baseline as fast as you either after you for.
Speaker 7: The only one I could compare, you know, like you know how this hit everybody trying to compare somebody to somebody. Only guy seen that's like close to me, I say, Darren Fox, he's just left crazy, like I wondered. I remember I forgot what he was. Was in Houston about to play. We had a day off for the game. I went, I drove like an hour trial to go watch him blame Wow, And I was like, you know what, this is the one kid I can say is close to what I could see in myself because I was basical supposed to be left handed, but he was really left fit.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, this is the only guy I seen that was close to me with that type of speed.
Speaker 7: Like, don't get me wrong, you know like d Rose is quick, Like his quick is on the whole other level, you know what I mean. I feel like Jah got a different type of quick, but they don't have that speed to go baseline and base.
Speaker 4: That's a different speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I say, the only one I can say is darreon Fox.
Speaker 4: Speaking of d Rose. It's funny.
Speaker 1: I was just about to ask you a question about d Rose just and you know, enlighten him just retiring. You coming into the league where like prime d Row, not even prime d Rolls because I would say, like he never got the opportunity to really reach his prime, but what we know in his career is prime d Rolls. You coming into the league, what was those matchups like you with the because the thing about your speed was it was speed, but your speed was powerful. You know what I'm saying, Like you played with so much force to where it just wasn't like like the Aaron Fox speed was like he still got it, but he played with way more pace now, but like his speed was just like fast speed. I feel like yours was like fast, but it was also like powerful. And coming into the league with a guy like d Rose that, like you said, quick but also powerful. What was those matchups like early on in your career against d Row?
Speaker 3: I tell you this, my rookie, it was AVVP year for him.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: Just to be honest, but I mean we played in preseason. I was just like, damn, this might be like the first guy say this quicker faster than me? I mean just because he's already been in the league. He already had his twitch, He already had to know what he wanted to do. Because me, like when I watched him play in college, I forget that it's playing Tennessee. I'm Olklahoma in the garden and I was like, this is where I'm going to school. Like when I seen that game and I seen him play Tennessee in Memphis, I already knew in my mind, I'm going to play for coach Kyle just because the way he allowed the Rose to play, I knew I played a similar way. But when I was in the league, like I always tell you people, it's three people, that was like three people three to four people hard as me Kyrie because he could do everything, scoring every level, but the hardest person I had problems with.
Speaker 3: With d Rose.
Speaker 7: It was a problem because you got to think with Tim system, everybody around him was located to play defense, and he was to get the ball, get the ball, and you couldn't stop. It's unlimited pick and rolls. He's scoring that wheel. And you look at any other guards that played for Tim, they all got that freedom. But you know, d Road just on a different level. And like I said, like I always say, like you you know, injuries are part of the game. But I feel like if he ain't never had no injuries, Bro, we wouldn't even be talking about a lot of these other guards the way we do.
Speaker 4: That's interesting.
Speaker 7: That's because a lot of guys was acting like they were sick when he came into Yeah, I got an ankle injury, I got the flu like he was.
Speaker 3: He was scaring people he was. I look and I look at it.
Speaker 7: Like my third year, I kind of realized to build my competence to another level, like I really can go at this guy total toe mm hmm man.
Speaker 3: First time. Rickie y'all was like, man, this is right. These guys different.
Speaker 1: It's always interesting to think, like, what what does the the guard race, if you will, or the guard outlook like, the outlook on the position look like if a d Rose never got hurt, you know, if a Penny never got hurt, Right, John, you never got hurt like you got. I don't think people realize you got hurt right in the middle of your prime and then like and we'll get into the entries to it later, but I always wonder, like, what does the guard position look like at that and never what does the rap game look like if get your pock can never get killed? Right, like you always had those what if of like you see how it played out right like Steph's Steph's golded like Russ like yeah, yourself, like the work everybody put in. But you just always wonder if it looks different at all if d Rose never gets hurt, like why does that pan out?
Speaker 3: It's interesting, to be honest, I feel like, man, I don't know.
Speaker 7: It's like you said, like they were so close to getting close to the championship in the East, like if he don't get hurt, like how they was giving Miami or Run everything. I mean when they started to get to that point, he was right there on they toes So and then you had Indiana, you know, like with Paul George's there.
Speaker 3: So it's just like you said, you just never really know what could have happened or what would have went on for sure.
Speaker 7: But you know, I mean, like you say, you definitely got to get the Roses Flowers bro because being the Young's MVP, having the battles against him and it was it was super exciting to see him go through the journey he did and fighting back, you know what I mean. I watched the game and he had his first fifty point game and breaking down in tears. And I've been watching a lot, you know, he never really talked, so I watched a lot of his podcasts, you having. I mean, he was talking about like when you realize he was injured with his toy. Ah, I had to come back, Like people don't realize that's.
Speaker 4: The hardest thing.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 7: Now you be on top of the world and then you just feel like you hit rock bottom and you just got to get through that. And everybody thinks everything's fine because we make the money and we live in his letter's life, but the game we love is taken away from us for the time being. So you got to fight your ass off to get back to even feel like you one hundred percent healthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that happened to me, you know, but I was.
Speaker 2: I watched college but in college, right, and it's a lonely island, especially as a point guard when you're an explosive point guard, because now you have to figure out a different way to jump, a different way to land, you know, uh, how to you gotta change your game.
Speaker 4: And I was going to ask you that you know.
Speaker 2: As you came into the league, you know as fast, explosive, one man, fast break. Talk about, you know, the step of how you evolved right from a point guard perspective from like year one, because you made the leap from year one to year three to being dominant, right, talk about that process.
Speaker 7: I think, like really just man like having Sam Cancell around, you know, I mean him being my coach, Like he was the master of a mid range. So he was like, yo, you can't outrun everybody because I'll be pushing the breaking Like damn where everybody at they not even fast half the court.
Speaker 1: Yees.
Speaker 7: So he was like, you got to slow down, like you got to figure it out. So just watching film with him and understand like you had the master the mid range. But like I always told you my whole life, I never had to shoot, like I always got wherever I wanted. I mean no matter if I played up or played I never tried to play my age, I played up. I always got wherever I want, even in college, like they go zone or by, I find ways to get there because we were just so talented. But in the league, we had real power for real center. So nobody you might probably shoot ten threes, eleven threes a whole game. So your most mid range was your form me. So the paint is back and then you come across the lane, they're hitting you. So just just working with Sam a lot, working with Robin Clinam at the time, that was d Roads, you know, Kevin love Russ, Kevin Durant, all those guys. Trainer, just teaching me the basic like, yo, you just got to slow down. You got to be a knocked down the mid range because no, he was going on these screens. It's to race to the basket. I feel like I can get there every time, but I might have a seven foot of there. So just learn that, like learning how to change my pace and learn how to knock down the mid range a lot more with confident. I think that made my game evolved. Like I was always good at passing, always trying to get my teammates involved in finding those guys because I knew in the fourth quarter, if I passed the bar early on in the fourth quarter, you can't double team as much because my teammates have the confidence to make these open shots instead of them only getting the ball in the fourth quarter and they're like, damn Bro, I don't got no rhythm. So that's kind of how to my development. Just working with Sam a lot, working on my mid range, working on changing pace, and just watching film Bro, and just watching how teams.
Speaker 2: Was guarding on the side note, I wanted to, you know, like, what was your favorite memory? You know you talk about Derek Bros. What was your favorite memory about playing against Draymond?
Speaker 7: I know every time you played against Draymond, he was always gonna be somewhere and I was getting He switched on me, he gonna talk a little shit while he guarded me. But we had we had a funny bra. I remember that, Bro. We had the money to go to say, listen, I got bully, b.
Speaker 2: Bully.
Speaker 4: Brad wanted to be a bully. That night, I got bullied.
Speaker 1: I tried not to let myself get slammed, let myself get slammed, and I still got fined thirty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 7: And then on top of that, I run over there to see what's going on and I get punched by by my teammate. I looked bad, like, damn one stole me. It's my own team. I said, I ain't going no fight with me.
Speaker 4: I was getting down like that.
Speaker 7: Just but I just think just I mean, I think Draymond just get credited dis credit for a lot of stuff you do. But he plays with that old school and you know what I mean, Like he comes with that grit and grind, like he's probably been a twenty point score in high school, and I mean, go to college, things change to get your league. Not playing early on, he find his role, he find his niche, and that's being his being a dog for being a yard lphs team. But on the also on the other end, on the office end, he's a point forward. He can run his offense, run his team. So I think every night going against Draymond, we couldn't really put our five men on him, which most teams try to do, because if you try to pick and roll with Steph, he's good at passing, throwing lives and finding shooters. So you got to try to go small, but that shit don't work because he's still gonna post up and find ways to do it. So I think, just going to get Dreymond, we know he was gonna bring defensively his intensity and if you try to get him in fire, this only way he kind of beat the Warriors because when he in, he makes their whole show goal Like we know step is this great and that goal. We know what Clay was and but he was just a glue guy to it for me too. When we played them, we had the key on him because he makes the whole shit go.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I know ye, I always tell you that.
Speaker 4: Favorite moment was playing against you.
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 4: Do you remember when Jamond Green dunk Tony.
Speaker 3: Showing down bringing mccliff.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, hey, hey, no file, Oh look at that at the end speaking were talking about John Walls speed.
Speaker 4: Did you just see where I started from? Okay, he took down, he took off.
Speaker 3: Drake got it, Yeah, Drake got Drake got some sneaky balance down here, dunk something.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jamon, because he got Hey, I got see.
Speaker 3: Hey, y'all showing that. Y'all got to show me show me out.
Speaker 4: That was I was nice. It was like, oh ship, it was like, oh ship, you gotta show him that. Charles b. D. You had no business joke.
Speaker 2: I ain't think he was gonna jump man jump. I don't know what the funk I was thinking, you know what that's called. It was my birthday too, Bro. That's called getting old.
Speaker 7: But I didn't think he was gonna jump. I just told you I'm in the garden. I needed some highlight. We're getting spanked anyway.
Speaker 2: Man, I was gonna knock the ball. I thought I tied it. Oh yeah, Mike, Mike Bibby over there crying.
Speaker 1: Duh.
Speaker 4: That is hilarious. Man.
Speaker 2: That's the only time I got dunktown like that. All right, Charles, that's enough, dog, Okay. I never forget that, man, I never forget that. I never show my son either.
Speaker 3: Well you know you too.
Speaker 4: We can't.
Speaker 3: Ron might be the only one get stuff deleted off youto.
Speaker 4: Off YouTube. Yea, yeah, when burn, he tried to burn.
Speaker 3: They gotta go, We gotta go.
Speaker 4: Cut that video. Gotta be somewhere in the world.
Speaker 3: Now. Somebody brought up and somebody they they found. Bron ain't get this in the go with, like I ain't seen it in years. They found and and.
Speaker 2: It's and it's super jan Ki. The way they filmed it, like.
Speaker 3: The film is like behind the basket, you don't even know what's going on.
Speaker 2: I feel Brown probably put that out itself, like this is this is the blurry edited version let me then drop this Draymond know he knows that's just dumb. We mentioned you as a Slam Dug champion, and I'll be one of the judges this year for the Slam Dunk Contest. Why do you think superstar players haven't haven't recently wanted to participate in the Dunk Contest?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think they should though, you know what I mean, Like I think like the older they did, Like I ain't really want to do it, but I told, I said, if I make the All Star Game, I get in the Dunk Contest, you know what I mean. And it was different, Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna take my win, but it was instead of the year I did it.
Speaker 3: They want the regular way.
Speaker 7: But I never did that dump before neither, but one time, like the day before I tried and I was like, man, shit, I don't got nothing else to do. This is gonna win there, We're gonna be losing. But I think all the stars should get into it. Like I think that's what made All Star wee get in fun.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 7: You're saying all the grace that was going in the All Star Game to be in a dunk contest. That's what people want to see, you know what I mean, Like you got so many John Morant, you, I mean you had Lebron, you got Giant, you got all these great stars that be in an All Star Game that they usually be in a dunk contest, And I think you got to kind of try to get back to it because a lot of the guys that get in it, they're in the league. We know who they are, but they not like the name that everybody wants go see and be cited. I think probably you know what I mean, Dre We was there. I thinking the best one we had in the wow was when it here, and you know that if he went back to back like that was the best one. That you gotta have those type of guys that's doing shit. We ain't ever seen if you ain't gonna have the stars any But it's kind of like you run out of options, Like what more tricks can we really come up with?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you what would you do to get them to what would you say, like, what would you do to get them to compete?
Speaker 7: I don't think you could do anything because they weren't doing it before the damn for sure not doing it.
Speaker 2: You know if when you look back in the league, the reason why the dunk contests, to your point, the Superstars, even if they got in the dunk contest and didn't want to do it, like, they still gave the fans something. And then that name, that next name became a name, right like a spug Web, right like spug Web became a thing and became a name because all the top dogs still got in the dunk contest even if they wasn't tripping. And so I think, you know, it's an entertainment cadence too that go along with this kind of like a passing of the torch or all these dudes around, you know, a young dude like what's his name for the Clippers who won the dunk contest, Yeah, Dale Jones. Like that type of energy right around these young dudes even this year, like finding a way to get this, you know, to get get them some more exposure. I like it be like, oh who is that? Like we know who these dudes are, but who is that? And you know that's the person who wind up winning and getting the name. That's how d Brown got off, right, It wasn't because he was you know, killer, like are just killing He got on because you know the dunk contests and got his name.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think like if Johonna Kaminga won't hurt like you know what I mean, you see him probably do some. I feel like he'd be one of those guys that, like people like to see him because the dunky due during the season, if he was healthy, if he got in there, because I see him in my tournament and my hosty tournament. It's stuff I see him do. I'm like, he would be somebody that's a name that's right there that people are starting to hear about.
Speaker 3: They can take that next jump to put him in that spotlight.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think, uh like for for young guys like JK. I think the thing that and isn't just him, I just think as a whole, Like the thing that those guys don't understand is if they do like the dunk contest, what it can do for their personal brands.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So everybody, we live in this day and age where all of these young guys want to want to kind of push their own personal brands, right, but you have these these rare instances like an NBA all Star. I mean, like a dunk contest that you can do, like Mac McClung became somebody doing the dunk contest, not even in the NBA, you know what I'm saying. So that just for what it could do for guy's personal brands, you would think that more young guys would do it for that reason. You know, before Zach Lavine ever became an All Star, he was at the dunk contest and made a name for himself, you know. And and so I think young guys miss out on that side of it when when they decide not to do it, I think they're leaving a massive opportunity on the table.
Speaker 4: I agree, speaking of.
Speaker 1: All Star Weekend in general, for like your All Star appearances, the game was still better like it like it wasn't.
Speaker 2: The best, but it was still competitive, competitive like entertaining. I would say, what what would you.
Speaker 1: Say has to happen today to get the game back good? Like the game last year? The game was patic, Like what do you think has to happen to get the game back good?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think like they they try to do like a total score every quarter, like every half or something like. I think they just got to go back east verse west, you know, I mean to me, I like, you should go east verse west. But it's hard to see, man, Like I don't know, how can you raise the stakes to get everybody want to compete, you know, I mean because if your star stars, like the guys that we want to go see ain't competing at a high level, it's kind of.
Speaker 2: It's too everybody too friendly, Like it's.
Speaker 7: Like everybody just everybody too well, I'm gonna let you shoot twenty three or I'm gonna let you get ninety dunks and go get fifty points. Like it's like it's no pride into it, you know what I mean. Like you know, I mean earlier on you might get a little bit of showcase here and there, but like you still want to keep the game closer.
Speaker 3: Then you know, we knew it going into the fourth quarter is go time. We're trying to win. But like now it's just like you might be down fifty by the third quarter.
Speaker 7: I don't know, it's kind of hard to say because I like you probably wanted to like how can you get the game back? And I'm like, I think you're just slipping away, Like I think they got like a new format this year, right, that a new format.
Speaker 3: It's like like if the Rookie Sophomore Game, whoever win that one played so try.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know what I mean instead of watching it.
Speaker 7: But you're giving the rookies and sophomores the opportunity to feel like, oh well, I'm all star.
Speaker 3: Like could for them.
Speaker 7: If they get the opportunity to play against the real start, they're gonna feel like they all stars at the time being.
Speaker 3: I mean, so they gotta find a way.
Speaker 2: What does happen?
Speaker 3: They're gonna keep losing the fans. I think, like the rookie sawhomore play each other.
Speaker 1: So the way is so you know, it's twenty four All Stars, twelve from the East, twelve from the West. There will be three teams of eight and they all make up three teams and then the uh the Rookie All Star Game is doing the same thing.
Speaker 4: It's like three teams of eight or something like that, and the winner of their.
Speaker 1: Little bracket it's going to be the fourth team versus the three teams a eight All Star.
Speaker 2: Wow, and they'll play like some game. But don't they like one team play a game, they go to the locker, come back. Yeah, yeah, that's gonna be hard to get all stars to one play eight minutes, then go on the locker chill and wait for another.
Speaker 3: Then check out.
Speaker 4: I mean they gonna be checked out.
Speaker 2: But what's missing think is an old school way and nobody had no no beef with each other. Nobody really like, oh, I get double teams, so you know you can't double team now, kind of like that mano, ain't mano? Right, it's none of that. There's no beef, there's no you know, nobody like. There's nobody antagonizing the opportunity to get people rowed up to go at each other. Nobody goes at each other. And so at the end of the day, if everybody to jump point, if you cool and everything cool, and what we're watching is a lot of threes dunks, and you know, kids are like, man, I can go do that outside with three people, right, it always looks like three people on the court and never like a full court game. So they got to make it a full court five on five. The best players playing against the best players just for reasons for names alone. And I want to make sure that people know I'm the best shooting guard, I'm the best playing guard. I think that's what that was your that was the last era of like yo time, John. You feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you win each other like I don't like you throughout the season, and then I think like with these teams, like I might have be with you, I might don't want to pay against I'm just put you on my team, you know what I mean. But I feel like the one person that can not one person could change the All Star form of that how they do it. But I feel like the one kid I know that God isn't man. Yes, Like I feel like he gonna find somebody he's starting, or I'm gonna find somebody I don't like and I'm going at him, you know what I mean, Like you need.
Speaker 3: That type of competitives, like I mean, just what you need.
Speaker 7: I mean, I feel like if he go against KD or if he go against Deep Book, or he go against Donovan Mitchell, whoever the next two guard is, he's trying to let them know, like I'm the best two guard in the league. And I feel like he can bring that to the All Star Game. But I don't feel like he's at the level now where everybody will follow along. You know what I mean, but I feel like he can get there at some point, but you hopefully assume so that the All Star Games don't kind of go away with people just like me. Know what, I don't even care about it on the weekend. Yeah, we used to wait. We used to couldn't wait till Sunday, Like, man, all ready for this game? Now is like Sunday people want to lead. They don't even care about going to the game.
Speaker 1: And I think I think one of the things, you know, that the NBA has to realize is also like when the games were good and the games were competitive, you also have to remember, like DD back inyall time, the prep that y'all have for to get ready for a game and the prep that guys have today are totally different. Yeah, you know, there's there's osteos. You know that you got pts, Like you have a whole different type of prep now for games than when then back in the day.
Speaker 4: And so I think that's a huge part of it.
Speaker 1: Like I think the NBA need to prioritize YO for every one of these guys, who gets them ready for games during the season. Okay, I know that pers's supposed to be on All Star I'm going to pay them five thousand dollars extra, ten thousand dollars extra to be at All Start weekend to prep Steph Curry to be at All Star Weekend to prep, you know, and to make sure every single guy has their prep. Now, with that being said, no other requirements from All Stars. There's no other requirements.
Speaker 4: If you do some.
Speaker 1: Personal requirement, you know, some personal things that you want to do, then do that. But there's zero other requirements from All Star. The only thing you are here at All Star Weekend to do is to be ready to compete in this game.
Speaker 4: Get your body ready to play at a high level. And I think that's what the NBA need to do.
Speaker 1: They need to make because to John's point, by the time you get to the game Sunday night, you've done so much. You've had so many obligations that it's like, oh now we got the game, like man, get me out of here. But as opposed to if you don't have anything on the weekend, like nothing, no requirements. You got this game in the NBA, but you can't make it so corporate though, So you got to pick what you want, right, Do you want a great game or do you want this corporate thing where all the All Stars are here, And I think they need to make that decision because right now the game is suffering and guys live like it's just different now.
Speaker 4: It was used to.
Speaker 1: Just on that vibe.
Speaker 4: It used to be a thing.
Speaker 2: You look forward to the game, right You're gonna get some dudes, gonna get the big dogs, gonna get their rest, the new guys.
Speaker 4: Gonna be out trying to get their name up.
Speaker 2: But you knew you had to show up to practice, media day and probably one or two appearances, that's it. But now you look at you know, the game is so global, the responsibility on these dudes, the attention on these dudes that they kind of just want to not be seen and chill, like All Star Weekend was like it used to be rest, but you treated it like it was another game, like this is the game I'm playing with all the Juggernauts, like let me show who I am. And I don't think people get we're not. We're not setting our guys up for that or setting them up to fight that should be the best fight, the most entertaining fight.
Speaker 1: Moving on, we had you spoke about Sam Cassell and the impact you know that he had your on your game, We had him on the pile. He shared the story about you getting emotional after losing twenty five games when it wasn't even December yet.
Speaker 4: Tell your story.
Speaker 8: John Wall his rookie year, he lost eight games from high school to college two years knocked my daughter strolling up John Wall in tears, in tears trying he lost twenty five games. It ain't December. He asked me, say, og, is it gonna get any better? You as any guys ever? Coach, I'm not a lot to you. I ain't a lot to you. I ain't a lot to you, I said, looked them in the face, like come on, I say no, and guess what, Jada, I throw them a tie.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I say, it's gonna be bad next year too, but we gotta grow. You gotta keep working.
Speaker 1: Can you walk us through that moment during your rookie year.
Speaker 7: I ain't gonna lie, man. We went on the road, we probably lost like twenty four straight. I'm like, what the hell is this mine? You know, like my whole life, I probably never lost that many games. Like in one year I just left college, lost three games and they called it the Dodo bo bo, You're playing Cleveland. They lost twenty four straight games completely and we lost twenty four straight on the road, so were just like, man, we gotta win this game. We finally get a win. I was like, is this how I go? I'm like, Yo, we're gonna lose like this. Can y'all just pay me?
Speaker 3: And I go back to like, yeah, we make this work some ways up and I'm like, how long is gonna last?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 7: Like probably about two more years. You gotta draft some more guys. We gotta hopefully trade for some people. And I'm like, bro, the league is not like this. I'm like, there's no way people don't care about because you know, you first come in, you're just looking like I know people care about the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like we losing.
Speaker 7: We're grown like we outside, Like, bro, I don't want to be seeing we just lost by thirty, Like I want to order room service. I don't want to be seen in the bar nowhere downstairs. But like, it just taught me a lot because I had a lot of good vets though throughout the years, you know, I mean, like you good and Trevor Reza, Al Harrington, Andre Miller, Paul Pierce just always talking to me just before there was my teammates like after game that come whisper to my ear life. Just stay the court, just continue to work, like it get better at some point. And I think that kind of helped me a lot because I wasn't used to losing that much and I wasn't used to like being that type of environment. But I think just having great vets around understand that I was willing to work, I was willing to listen. I wasn't scared to ask questions. That kind of helped me pay my way to figure it out throughout the league.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get used to the loser? Like do you feel like at some point you ever like just like you know what it is? What it or did you ever know?
Speaker 3: I kind of knew going like you know, you go high pick, You're not going to really go to a good team.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't like it. I appreciate that I wouldn't know.
Speaker 7: I was like, I know, it's like going to a rebuild process, you know what I mean. So I'm just like all right, you know, I mean Gil was there, so they was getting ready to trade Gill, you know what I mean. Then I had like Andre Blash Nick Young, Javel and those guys was young because they didn't play as much when you had Karam Buller and Troine Jamison.
Speaker 3: Those guys there their huge.
Speaker 7: So just learning from those guys and just trying to build like who he drafted, who we drafted, and I meaner like what two three is in a row? We had like a top seven pick, you know what I mean? We had number six pick, then we had I mean we had like two first round picks like back to two years in a row. So I'm like, all right, hopefully we drafting the right guys to fit with our team. And I think, you know, that's the key to like all these gms. They like a lot of gms, they don't I think a lot more players should be gams. I mean, could we know the game very well? So just because you nice and I'm nice, don't mean we messed it yet, you know what I mean, you gotta figure out do they is they gonna is they gonna balance it out?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: So I think that's the more thing we got to figure out with more gms and things like that. But I think, like down the road, it's about the work you put in as a player. Don't get used to the losing, so I never got used to it. I just like, Okay, we gotta find a way to get out of It's like, what can I do to get better myself? I never try to blame the team. I'm like, well, John, can you come back better? And hopefully my other teammates are coming back better. And then we finally figured out, like my third fourth year of figuring out getting over the hump.
Speaker 1: And looking back on it, do you think the GM that you had that was doing the draft and do you think he ultimately did a good job.
Speaker 7: I think we missed out on some pieces. I think we missed out on a couple pieces, you know what I mean, Like, uh, we could have drafted play. I mean we took we took y'all bestally that we thought he was the overseas blake gripping at the time I did.
Speaker 3: That's what draft.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 7: For sure, because he was athletic. But I'm like, we needed two guard. This is before we drafted bread Some. I'm like, we need a two guard, you know what I mean? With me, I'm like, I need a two guard knockdown shooter the way I get into the paint front shooter that would have worked for us. You know what I mean, I think I mean, we got Brad right for sure, you know what I mean. I think Ala Porter was the best situation at that time, coming out being a great three man for us and a slasher. We had got Trevor Booker that was at that time for the four man. He was a hard worker, play hard, do all the dirty work. So those guys we drafted, you know what I mean, you try to hit on the right ones, but the same time it's hit and miss. But I feel like we missed out on a couple pieces that could have helped us because we draft Clayon next year, you get.
Speaker 4: Brad, Are we cool?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 7: I'm straight, I got a two and the three that's shooting and pissed out the ball. I'm okay with that, you know what I mean. But it goes like that. But also think so like when we got to that point, you also got to try to make some trades. I think we did some great trades of getting Gore tied, you know, I mean, to helped me a lot of my pick and roll having ny nay, you know, I mean, then we got Trevor Reza to help us at the three position, you know, going against.
Speaker 3: Bron in the East and those guys.
Speaker 7: So he was a great mentor for us, just because he had a championship rest read championship penalty to know what's going on and things like that. So he kind of helped me mold and understand like, Okay, bro, you're the best player out here every night.
Speaker 3: You got to think that, like you can't think nothing otherwise.
Speaker 1: I think we all have a moment in our careers, like there's a matchup that you take personally.
Speaker 4: You just mentioned mine, Like.
Speaker 1: For years in my career, I said, maybe my first seven years, like until I really felt like, all right, I've done enough in this personal matchup and in my resume to where like all right, i feel like I'm good with that now, Like I've done that. And we all had that matchup of guys in our career.
Speaker 4: For me, it was Blake Griffin.
Speaker 1: Like when I came in, everybody like, yo, this the next young dude up right, Like Blake was in it all NBA's and he was in the West, and so for me, I'm like, all right, if I'm trying to become.
Speaker 4: An All Star, that's the guy I need to go at it. To take down? Who was that guy for both of y'all, I.
Speaker 7: Would say for me, mis was gonna be d Ros you know, I mean then he got hurt. Other than that, it would be Russ because Russ was on the West. But for me, I'll say Kyrie. I mean he was on the East.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Every time you play Cleveland, I know that game was on T and T. I know it was on ESPN. I'm like, these shoes got to be laid super tight, because you know what Kyle ranging like. You know what I mean, You've been against Conn of finals and he's just for me, I feel like he's the most skilled basketball page. There's nothing he cannot do on the basketball court, catching, shoot off the dribble, post ups, left hand floater. So for me, I knew I had to lace these boots up. Like forget what happened the night before, I forget going to dinner, la. No, I'm in his bed getting some rest and I'm going at it. So I feel like Kyrie would be my guy. Like that's who I say. I would always look forward for that matchup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's say. For me, it was always like Iverson or Kobe. Uh Kobe because that was the only time I got a chance for people to see me on TV at home.
Speaker 4: It was different back then.
Speaker 2: Bro, when the league passed, you know, they come back coming, Charlotte, call me coming Charlotte. I had to put on the show. Or you know Alan Arbison was growing up, everybody wanted to be like Ai. I had that crossed over like AI, and I knew if I need to put myself in a certain category. But in our era, it was like night after night you had like you had nightmares. Sam Caunsell, you had you got nightmares. You better get some sleep. Nick van Exell, You're gonna have nightmares.
Speaker 4: You better get some sleep.
Speaker 2: Tim Hardaway, like all these dudes was like you know where I was when you dunked on me, John Right, And so it was like one bout one trying to take them out. And I think as I got older, you look at like Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash and Tony Parker, which a lot of people don't give a lot of credit to. Those were the dudes that you know, I wanted to take out or had a certain chip on my shoulder when I saw him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to stretch my rookie. I was like, no, the league hit me up.
Speaker 7: I had, I had, I had d Rose Frondo and I go out west. I got Dann Williams, Utah.
Speaker 3: Rush and Steve na I said, there's some bullshit.
Speaker 7: Steve Nash one day then like ten to tenth for me against me and like, you know, you know it's not you do he run around the basket and he don't stop his dribble.
Speaker 3: I'm like, bro, this dude is cold. Like so I had Like I was just like I had that. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: I can't forget CP, you know, I mean CP at the time you still had Tony Parker. I mean people forget about going dragons. He was hooping at that like it was. I was like, yeah, the league is some guards and this ship that's where every night at the point guard position was head.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah for sure. And then and also I couldn't go guard no.
Speaker 7: Three man or a small four men and Mike k't shooting the corner, you know, I mean, like I have to guard every take him man.
Speaker 3: It was no duck in a matchup. And I'm like, bro, I got to do this on the office and do this on the other end.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 7: It was great with the time, Like I came into a great time where I had to play against a lot of great guards, and it kind of like molded me to put my competitor's level to another level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say that as a guard, you come in and you shaped by like your rookie year, you played against Rondo. He played way different than Steve Nash, who played different than Darren Williams, who played different than Chris Paul, who play different than Derek bros. And if you get caught up and trying to figure them out, right, then you'll never figure out who you are and make them you gotta make them scared of you. That's that's what happened my rookie year. Yeah, that's how I looked at it.
Speaker 7: I had to make people like, okay, like now, try to make it to where it's not a matchup, you know, like I'm trying to go every possession back at then, because if you like d Roles at that time, you try to squad. I gotta go score, you know what I mean, And then we can't forget. Like when step started to figure out doing him, I'm like, oh this, yes, like I got to run around ninety screens, like you know what I mean, because he don't stop moving. So I feel like that's like when people say guarding STEFP. I like it's a whole nother level because y'all said too many screens, he might have a shot through it, and they hold it.
Speaker 3: He going off two more screens.
Speaker 7: I'm like, fuck, I ain't guarding nobody like this, So I'm preparing myself for this one game of how he's going, you know. I mean, like you said, it's always different ways you gotta guard certain people, and it just makes it difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite memories of your career was your game when he shot against the Celtics in twenty seventeen. Yeah, it was ironic. What do you remember about the shot? And what was that play? Was the play designed for you?
Speaker 3: No, Dre know the play is Dre. I know J White Phielm. It's the same place. Run all the time.
Speaker 7: I decoy to the corner, the four man dive Bragg gets depend down from Gorty. You're spposed to catch them all the time. The key arguet smart was on top of the place, so I just legally run out of the corner, like, just give me the ball. Then they got a five second relation and stepped out down and I'm going to get a great defendive, which I don't understand how he never was All NBA first Team. If I'm wrong, please correct me. But I don't think everybody ever made all in a first team, which he should have. I might be wrong, but he was a hell of a defender. I played against him since my eleven grade year in high school. He played with Dull Daddy on the seat of au team. So I take one driven. I'm like, bro, I can't get to the baske because I know they're not calling no foul. So I'm like, my only shot is a shoot three win to go on?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: I mean the bitch went in and it was up after that.
Speaker 4: One time twenty sixteen, one.
Speaker 3: Time that year. Fucking that, I'm wrong. He made it in one year.
Speaker 7: I was about to say, but I knew, like trying to get by him with a time one o'clock, I was like, it ain't gonna work, so I just pulled up and rest, But then I almost hit a damn bank shot over the board.
Speaker 4: Time.
Speaker 2: My heart was like, please, don't I need my game winner, this one, man, I need this, this my one.
Speaker 3: That maybe that they helped me get my right here thirteen.
Speaker 1: That speaking in that same vein with the Celtics that series they came in and all black, uh saying Game six was a funeral. I remember you mentioned in the post game? Was that a discussion for y'all going into that game? Like yo, like talking about that because at that time, like the fashion wasn't as in your face like it is now.
Speaker 7: Nah, Like for me, it's like, you know how you ship back in the locker room, they got a little TV on they showed the teams walking in.
Speaker 3: I'm like, damn this nigga all black?
Speaker 4: Yeah, funeral.
Speaker 7: I was like, no, no, yeah, I can't wear no, he can't wear no f like all black and somebody I said funeral. So I kind of took it personal. You know how you're warming up for the game. I tell the guys like, yo, we can't lose. Like they treated like we're done with like they already, but it's in the cast we go with. I'm like, we just gotta we gotta figure way out. So I mean, luckily we came back and got to win, and then you know, we lost in game chaping. But I like ironic, that's probably one of the best series in a long time, Like what's going total to And we really had real beef throughout the regular season, Like we had real smoke set the regular seasons, So to get to them was very like we needed that, Like I wanted that smoke them the.
Speaker 1: Fun times, man, when you got a little chipping this back and forth with the team and then you get, yeah, get matched up with that team in the playoffs like we had.
Speaker 4: We've had those times with like the Memphis Grizzlies.
Speaker 1: We've had those sounds with Houston where it's like the shipping and every game you got that same chippings, and then you meet in the playoffs and it's like, all right, here we go, Like I got you.
Speaker 7: You know, every game is different, bro, every game is gonna be different. You like, even you go down too old, you up too old. You're like, man ship, it ain't over matter. And like that's how I felt when we played Atlantic. We got to play Atlantard earlier that series, and I was mad because twenty fifteen had periods. I fractioned my hand and I finished the whole game one I didn't know I had five fractions in my hands. I go to the back, take a shot out my hand like a little white muffin hend. I'm like you, I can't wash my back. I'm like, shit, I'm out. Got missed like three games, I mean none, my hand of it finally came make and play and I'll never forget. I blocked Schrodershot Game five and uh forre forget the rebound and score LB. Then they go up through too, I never forget. Then it showed in a can't bathe I'm liked it like looking at me and posted a picture. I'm like, oh, I gotta get these motherfuckers. I gotta get I gotta get them. So when we went back and we got to play them that year, I had like twenty four and fourth, like I ain't ne with forty two. I was like, I told y'all was coming back. I told y'all was coming back. So you know, like you said, you have those beeping, those personal battles, that shit means.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that that that all black to the funeral. That's kind of like a hull. I can't ah little mantra, you know.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But at at the time, guy in the playoffs y'all making waves. Was there ever a Big three era moment for Washington where you and Brad were are potentially gonna get somebody? Or who was that player you were trying to add that you guys thought could help you get to the finals.
Speaker 7: I really try to get Paul George, you know what I mean? Like that year we were trying to get KD. I was like, bro, we gotta get Paul George, like we needed this is a perfect three man for I feel like we had the four and five that was solid for us, uh Me and Bradd in the back court. We just I just think Paul George could have helped this because I feel like that time in the East ist Lebron. I mean, everybody knows Bron you gotta have a three that can guard. Not saying you're gonna be able to stop himcause we know how dominant Gritty is. Fucking go back him too, that he has to respect, and I feel like Paul George would be that guy. And we were trying to go get KD. And I was just like, we're not getting Vin Duran, like it's not coming to DC and too much family stuff. It's too much now he ain't trying to do it and we end up having Paul, which Paul ended up being great for you, like a great vet for me. Taught me a lie, his routine, the way he worked it was amazing, and uh, we kind of got Paul. He thought Sam was staying with He thought samun Sale was gonna stay like coach, And that's year Sam went and went to the Clippers.
Speaker 3: So Paul stayed for that one year. After that we just had to try to figure it out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but for that one year, I feel like we could have got to the eastkind and find if I didn't break my hand.
Speaker 3: But that's the guy I was going for for sure, Paul George.
Speaker 1: I remember being on the list for KD. So I think he went.
Speaker 7: It's that same year or the year Okay, yeah he got yeah, Yeah, So I was like, man, we gotta get him, like, because come on right here, what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kevin is not cut.
Speaker 4: Y'all could have got.
Speaker 7: If y'all could have got, it would have been raised, like we know the hell that would have been. But in my mind, I'm just shaying, we're not getting kill like what we are. We're not at the level where we feel like we're a championship team. That's what Kevin was going for. We need a person that's gonna help us get there, which Kevin would have got us there, but I just felt Paul George would have been the best fit for us at the time.
Speaker 1: I knew when I was looking at kd list of like teams that he was looking at. Uh, we was in that run and there trying to get I knew the one team we didn't have to worry about with.
Speaker 4: Y'all because I knew he was.
Speaker 1: I knew he wasn't going home. I'm like, there's no chance we're not going home. So I just knew, like just for that reason alone, Like I knew, I'm like brother going to the crib.
Speaker 4: Like, so I just I knew that.
Speaker 7: I was telling this the whole time, like we got to go get PG, like put all our focus on PG. Like, I mean, k Ain't coming home.
Speaker 4: Man, Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And speaking of that big three and just you and Brad like playing together for eight years, what's your thoughts kind of on what's happening with him in Phoenix right now where it's kind of I kind of like the almost in something comes off as like Scapegolders, but I don't know they locker room, so I can't necessarily say that. But like he obviously not start, you know, like so just kind of what his whole situation and what he's going through there.
Speaker 7: I think it's tough. I mean, because like I thought it was a tough move anyway going there early on. You're not mean, three guys that could score the ball at a high level. They all three need the basketball, you know what I mean? But we know K's the one guy of those three guys that you just say, you know what, just give me the ball on the mid coast me and posting the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do my thing. I'm very efficient.
Speaker 7: So I think it was kind of tough because he didn't know where his shots was coming and now all of his shots turn into be and just catching shoot shots for me, you know what I mean. I think that kind of like was in his role and kind of listening to Kay had to post an interview and he was like, I know, you probably don't want to come off the bench. He's still playing started men's like thirty five minutes a night. But I think now he knows where his shots is coming from, Like he's able to get into his rhythm, he's able to have a bit more scoring game. But it's like, yeah, I'm making fifty something million, like I'm coming off the bench. This shit, don't it don't add up. You're not really getting a guy paying fifty million to come off the bench. So I think in their mindset, they're kind of looking for a guy that's more like a slash like glue guy for them, and it probably a fit better for them. I mean, because I feel like Brad feel at the same time. Right now, he still can go get twenty twenty five at any given night, and he said proven that coming off the bench, So I think he wanted to kind of roll where he's going to have the ball more. And I think in Phinis he's just not gonna work with a deep book and k there with it.
Speaker 1: And I think it'll always be And it's just it's tough in general, like because whether you're playing starter minutes or not, if you're coming off the bench, it essentially slots you into a role. And just as a role player, I don't think people understand you're not going to get the sh same shots every night. I don't care how many minutes you play. Yes, as a role player, you're just not going to get the same shots every night because the offense isn't built for you to get those shots.
Speaker 3: Like the same shot is a different game plan. How they guard.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and so as a role player, the game plan may delete you right out of the offense because the offense ain't built for you anyway. So where there guard is something, you may get two shots that night. I saw the other night where I think Brad had like five points. He took had like four or five shots, right, Like, there's going to be some nights like that. One is not designed for you. And I just think you know, if to have those nights like that too much, bro, Like it's not it's not you're not getting the best out.
Speaker 3: Of Bradley man coaching.
Speaker 7: And it's like if you come off yeah, And I feel like if you like a guy that's been starting and been that role, and I get it, sometimes at some point of your career you have to take the back seat and come off the bench. But if you feel like you're still in that moment, you feel a showing that you can still in that moment, it kind of fuck with your mind, your mentality, coming into the game, you know what I mean, Like it kind of puts you in position like, man, I know I can be out there, like I know I can help better. But like you said, you come out the bench like, well, you might get fifteen minutes now, you might get twenty minutes now, or you might get two shots, or you at least is a lot shorter than it is when you're the number one, number two Optionhow you're that franchise god. So kind of accepting that role is a little bit difficult than a lot of people think, you know what I mean. They think it's so much easier, But if you used to being that guy and that movement.
Speaker 3: It hurts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the worst thing to do is somebody with that much amount of talent and that much amount of game to know every game how much time they're gonna play. If you're a superstar, you know, okay, I'm finishing out the game. I'm closing out the game. If you somebody like Brad and you're looking like, oh man, I'm at twenty five thirty minutes, I don't know how this is going. Once you start, once you got that mentality, it's frustrated. It hurts because you can't think past like the confidence of I'm the closer or I'm on the closing team. It's unpredictable, so you're ready, you're unready, you're getting shots, you're not getting shot. So it really just played with your confidence and your psyche and more so your mentality going to the game, because if you know, like, all right, some dudes who come off the bench and play twenty minutes a game, they know they playing twenty minutes a game, that's their role. Somebody who is nice like Bradley Beal that should be over capacity and can affect the game. That could potentially, you know, hurt his psyche or just hurt his rhythm and hurt hurt the opportunities for the team to have a better rhythm and knowing how to win. But that's ultimately a coaching thing. You know, if you if you got three higher guns on your team and you're not putting them in position to all being rhythm, then you gotta start looking at man, who who's mixing and matching these lineups where these dudes can't all get their game off.
Speaker 4: You went to a Wizards game earlier this month, How was it for you going back there to receive a reception that you did.
Speaker 1: Your return to a game.
Speaker 3: Oh it was dope, man. Like I was in TALC.
Speaker 7: One of my close friends had a baby shower and I was like, man, the game on Sunday, Like I just stay and go to the game. I mean, like just to be back around a love. Let me see a lot of people from the facility that they haven't seen it in a while. So it was dope, man, Like, I appreciate the tribute to the fans, still show me the love that I feel like I deserved. And it was dope to be back in that environment. I mean you kind of get the chills and trying not to like break down, because you know what I mean, that was home for me. That was a place I never wanted to leave. I wanted to kind of play my whole career until it got to a point where, you know, the front office might be like, you know what, we just trying to completely rebuild and we feel like you should go somewhere else. I mean, that's kind of the role I wanted to be is played for one team, my organization, but now it's a business. Shit happens, you move on from me. But I still got a lot of love for the city that's my second home. The city still showed me love, and I always try to do as much as I can when I go back there and try to visit as much as possible so to get that type of love still and know like how much I made to the community outside of just basketball.
Speaker 3: That's what I really prided myself off of.
Speaker 1: You haven't officially retired though, so they can't tell you yet when you're a Jersey getting retired.
Speaker 2: Absolutely kind Yeah, with your love of basketball and you know, you watch a lot of games, what do you think of the current was the squads and how would you and the team?
Speaker 7: Oh, for me, I feel like they got to find that number one guy, you know what I mean, the franchise guy, you know what I mean. I think the young guys they drafted, it's pretty they're gonna be good. I think they're gonna be some great role players to kind of go into what they system needs. But I think they like you, I mean, like they vets now don't want to They kind of see like they want to be out, you know what I mean. So I think they gotta find and dre probably contributed. It's a lot of these teams don't really have vets. They's mentoring these guys that want to be there, like you know what I mean, Like, all right, you know you sign him as a vent. I'm not gonna play as much. I might not play, but I'm gonna help the young guys know what the league is about. I think that's what some of these teams are missing. So I think if they can get a couple of those guys to help out. But I mean, they probably gonna be in the draft for the next two to three years, probably trying to get that one guy that's that guy. And I think, I mean, once you find out who your guy is, I think all those young guys can learn from, you know what I mean. I kind of look at the Rockets, you know what I mean, they found out who they guys they I feel like it's Jalen Green right now on Sagoon, and they put a lot of vets around him. They got a new coach and a new coach, and so he don't funk around. He's like, this is what we're doing, is how we're going. And they drafted a lot young great talent. I think they drafted too much great young talent. Get rid of some of those guys because they don't get to get on the floor. Yeah, I mean, but I feel like the Wizards are going in the right direction that you gotta. They got a new front office and things like that. So it takes some time. I mean, but you know, a lot of teams, a lot of fans don't want to waste no time waiting.
Speaker 2: And the worst thing you can have in player development when you have rookies and you know a young team is you can have the worst thing to have is vets that don't want to be there, because that means that they don't really want to play or show the young groom the young guys to show the young guys, there's no there's no culture being built. So I agree, I gotta I gotta be blown up fast. Also, one of the biggest trades UH being discussed obviously is Jimmy Butler.
Speaker 4: You went through a tough trade.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You were trading from the Wizards right the city you love. You arrived in Houston when Harden was trying to be traded. You know, we thought, well, I man, I thought, okay, cracking, you know, I thought it was gonna be cracking.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: That was Yeah, I thought that's gonna be too shit.
Speaker 2: I got there and there was you know, you went to the charity it was picking up for locking up. That seemed like it was gonna be something social media is chinky bro.
Speaker 3: Uh, Like we're just going there at the charity game. Yeah, I thought. I thought.
Speaker 7: I thought it was gonna kind of work out, you know. I mean like trying to figure out like which way they was going. And I feel like it just was a tough spot for me. I mean getting traded there, which I loved, Like I didn't have no problem with the city of Houston, and they showed me a lot of love.
Speaker 3: It was during COVID. It was a tough time.
Speaker 7: But it was just tough because I just came back and I'm like, Okay, I'm getting back to myself. I'm healthy again, and I'm like, okay, I'm ready to hoop, Like I ain't trying to sit down and I'm not trying to miss no time. I missed two years, you know what I mean, from my achilles injury and then dealing with COVID and all the other personal problems I went through. And then after the first year, they just wanted to go to a rebuild. So I kind of got stuck in a position where it's like I want to be playing, Like I know I could still start and play at a high level for a team, and it's like kind of we were just saying, like I don't want to come off the bench, you know what I mean? Like case now, if I do, this is gonna be my trademark to everybody every other team in the league is John Walker is a bench player. Unless I'm going to back up like John Moreno or Steph Curry, the one of those guys that that guy, then I could be okay with that. But I didn't feel like I was in that right situation the right time, and they even told me that I don't feel like you should. But what they did, wh how they built their team out and made the changes, They're in a great position, so I can see what the future and what they plan was.
Speaker 3: It was just a bad spot for me.
Speaker 2: And then what was the atmosphere, like, you know, having a teammate trying to be traded, you know, similar to what Miami going through a bit.
Speaker 3: To be honest, for me, it wasn't bad.
Speaker 7: Like James showed up to every day, he did his work, he was professional, He came, did his work. He didn't kind of like he had any problems with us, Like whatever problems he had with the front office or whatever anybody else was doing was trading him, didn't affect our team, you know what I mean. Came and did his job, He did his work, and he got out of there. So I can't say nothing bad about a guy that's still being professional, comeing, doing his work and going about his way. That's the way I would look at it. I mean, I feel like, you just gotta continue to do what you gotta do, and eventually it happens the way you want to have it. Like I know, they probably like, damn, Jim, you're just still missing planes. They like they messing with that, you know what I mean. And to my homeboy, because he was like I been on that though, but he was like he was like, he was like, don't y'all just get to fly? Probably I want, like, no, bro, Like, unless you got a family matter or something going on, you you got to be on the plane.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I went through some ship like that.
Speaker 2: When I was having beef with the organization, I wouldn't flying my plane, but I was. When you got to the airport, having my driver come get me and dunking out.
Speaker 3: In the city.
Speaker 7: But you know that sometimes you might get in late. You might want to go do your thing, but missing it to the plan and they waiting for you, that's like we wait an hour for it. So he pulled up, he pulled up beside you.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but put me on the team playing, man, no price is playing its expensive.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I did my I did my share that And I was like, this is not saying that.
Speaker 2: You don't get the food you get on the team playing. He's playing you know for us.
Speaker 3: I was telling them we had to order stuff we got we go get the catering food.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I think, like you know, I mean, in that position, it could be like kind of a distraction, you know, I mean, like you know what I mean, because like I never been played for the Heat, I like, I understand what the Heat coulture is and what they believe in.
Speaker 3: I think, like me, I look at it.
Speaker 7: If I'm ever going through something like that, if I'm between these four lines, I'm giving everything I got because this could funk around be your last game, you know what I mean. So as long as you just been professional, I think that's the key. You got to look at it, into it and hopefully they do the right thing by you. By you've been professional doing the right thing by them. But like we don't know, Like I can't really say too much because I'm not in the locker room. I don't know what those conversations are like, They're just like if it was a different snarer and what I knew.
Speaker 1: What it was. You've always you've always been passionate about the younger guys coming after you, uh, and having a high school tournament and being involved in the AA.
Speaker 4: You've seen just always been seen giving back.
Speaker 1: Uh. Are there any young guys that you are mentoring in the league coming up right now? Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like you know, I still try to talk to Jensen Green as much as possible. Themen I was there when he was a rookie. Uh, he's blossomed until where everybody thought he could be, and I think he just find his niche. I still taught the kJ Ken Martin Jr. I mean, helping him out a lot. And then Rob, you know Rob billing him. I known him since seventh grade when he played for Combine, Jeff mcginnon's old high school team. So just try to talk to those guys and like I always tell all the young guys like I'm a phone call away, Like I'm not one of those guys that's bitter that you getting to this level or doing that, Like this is my job to pass along what I learned and the mistakes I made to help you out. So I even talked to all these hoghtole kids, like I got the old black soil turning, which is mine. We just had it and I got like a lot of top kids in it, so it was dope. We had west Chester come out there, Trevorze's son, so they played pretty cool. But yeah, I just got a lot of guys I just talked to, you know me, I try to go to games whenever I'm in certain cities and they see me, I say, what's up?
Speaker 2: So college career? So true forty one? Do the John Yeah due to John Wall? True forty one. I don't know John Wall. That was out of nowhere. Where were you when you hurt the track for the first time? I mean you had a come on, man, you got a song in college about you.
Speaker 3: I wish had.
Speaker 7: Crazy, but no, it's crazy because I didn't even know they like I knew them. They're younger than me, and they kind of went to school like with my sister and a couple of my own boys.
Speaker 3: And I forgot I forgot words.
Speaker 7: I think I was still in college when they made this song, like in a regular season or in the tournament, and it's like, you got a song.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what the hell I got a song for? And it was just little.
Speaker 7: I mean I went up there and dance when I was up there, and then yeah, kind of like the John Wall Yeah, to dance, you know, like think about it.
Speaker 4: He would have got bread.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts? What are your thoughts about n I l and how it's changing?
Speaker 1: Legally got because they was getting the bread at Kentucky would have been able to know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, legal would have been posted.
Speaker 3: Listen, I don't care listen legally not legally. I didn't get No, I don't listens listening, not listening.
Speaker 7: This is the honest truth. Like everything I love, I not got nurse John Calliper, no with your camera, coach cown. What I did do is went to summer school, had a job and got an hour trying it for one hour, like the money they getting like fifty thousand, But I couldn't wait for that pair of man was everything like I was wearing Polo and Sass.
Speaker 3: I was getting leave by Jean's like yeah, this is what was going on in Cow. But I feel like like a thousand dollars going to my mother, like it was nothing else. I couldn't take the whole you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: But I think it was dope to a certain state because they supposed to be naming liking I mean, what you're selling jerseys like now it's too like a full bidding one. It's like every year they say like Drake, like Okay, look at the kid from Ohio State, jerm My Smith, right, somebody offering him four point five to hit the portal, Like why am I leaving the Ohio State? Like I just want that jump. Sure, probably can go back the next two more years if I really want to, you know. I mean, so I get it for some kids that's probably not gonna make it to the league, and it's probably the most money they might see. But don't I think they got to take the porter out though, because like everybody just going to the porter every year just to see we're gonna offer me the most money, Like I know one kid that was at this school last year was making twenty three out right here, the porter made one point five.
Speaker 3: He only played two minutes a game.
Speaker 7: Jesus happy for him, though, Don't get me wrong, he's making the most money pipe will unless he do something outside of basketball, go overseas now. I mean, because he's probably not gonna be a pro. But now it's like every year, Okay, who's gonna offer me the most?
Speaker 3: I'm gone. Like, imagine dre We's in high school. They making six MILLI six million dollars. So you're pulling up to your school with the best car.
Speaker 7: You think you really listen to your college coach unless you got a great foundation of like a assistant or mom or brother that's keeping unthinking control. A lot of these kids lose their passion and the love for the game because they're already reaching. What we try to get to the leaf for is to take care of our families, take care of ourselves. They're getting this in high school.
Speaker 1: A lot of these kids gonna be short sighted and things they doing it. Man, you're gonna mess out on the five hundred million that's coming up.
Speaker 7: And again, I'm over in my tournament, right in my tournament. I'm seeing kids iced out, like walking in icet out Gucci shoes, Gucci shoes, my Mary pasts. I'm like, all I had was a Nike swist. This is all I cared for. You let me going to a high school game, even if you go to the summer, like if you go like the Au tournament they got in the summer.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think about walking into the Louis store.
Speaker 4: It was I didn't know what Louis walk in there.
Speaker 7: I knew the flea market one way and put the Louis on the force and then those work. But I hope they figured out and do it better. I mean, I feel like it's great for kids to get paid for what like I feel like we all should have been paid for what we brought to the game, like likeness and selling our jerseys.
Speaker 3: But I think some of it's going to look too far in my opinion.
Speaker 4: Sure, I was thankful.
Speaker 1: I was thankful to get a little like nice little Nike package from Uncle West or Vince Ball.
Speaker 3: It was cool.
Speaker 1: Look out they send you a Nike package every now and then. Sweat suicide of the a couple of kicks.
Speaker 4: That's all good I do. Got one more And this is for you too, j I just thought of this.
Speaker 2: Uh, John, give me your top teen all time Kentucky team, and then do you think that Kentucky with all is great blue Kentucky blue spirit in heritage, could they beat Michigan State all time team?
Speaker 4: Are you don't know?
Speaker 3: All time all time all time? You're saying college like playing in college?
Speaker 4: Since we do this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Please? Are you crazy?
Speaker 3: Are you crazy? Come on?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 4: Yeah? The number one pick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's the starting five? Who's the second five? And can that team beat Michigan State all time team?
Speaker 1: I got, I got the markets at my fins, all right, So you take DeMarcus number one pick. I'm gonna take the irving magic Man Johnson himself. Okay, I got a D at my four eight after four, after.
Speaker 4: Four for us, I am going to go the all time starting five. Oh, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Ain't see green, It ain't see green going to Michigan State.
Speaker 1: No chance, no chance, I think. After four, I'm gonna go with myself, of course, okay, of course. And the three I'm going Jamal mad with Jamal mash Bryan. After three, I am going Steve Smith Motor D two I'm going to take shore at the two after two, I am going it's getting real. Dang, do I want Scott Skoules at the one or two? Magic got you gotta match up with men. If you had the magic got the one. So Scott Skyles, I met the one, Scott Skoyles, and then that center. You gotta go with that jumping dude, that Johnny Green. You know, jumping Johnny Johnny Green, you got you got z Bo too, z Bo animal, but z Bo. I give y'all six men for sure, six and seven.
Speaker 4: Man too much.
Speaker 1: I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I got too many people. I just put anybody there. I got too many people.
Speaker 1: Y'all gonna lose for sure. You're crazy, no better coaching cow. So we're gonna coach off the show. It's happening.
Speaker 3: That's cool. Yeah, you got out coaches playoffs.
Speaker 4: So we got we're gonna beat y'all. We're gonna we're gonna be up.
Speaker 7: And down that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we've got scouts.
Speaker 3: Ain't tough to worry about.
Speaker 4: Scott was time.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I want to about to say face expression.
Speaker 2: He's like scott'st hey Jamal Mashburg tast Shawn Prince nobody magic magic.
Speaker 1: That se gonna get body put in that post. I'm saying, I just gotta I gotta put him on him though, Body in the post take your five.
Speaker 3: Minut because Boogie is bullying whoever your fire man is?
Speaker 4: Who who.
Speaker 1: He?
Speaker 3: Did you not finish over a D D min a D.
Speaker 1: Hell cal We almost play ad them and we lost ad back then having bad break.
Speaker 4: All type of hell you about to get.
Speaker 2: The type of that block was smacking ship, pushing the break.
Speaker 7: Your five though your five, that your bug because Boog bully ship too. I'm trying to think of that one, y'all to the match, that y'all would have got ejected first quarter first like first two.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be a Draymond Green and DeMarcus cousins.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dre, y'all would have been like uh with Bud dropped the elbow on swashright, we played Look, here's supposed to be ejected the first two minutes.
Speaker 3: We had eight text as at first.
Speaker 4: Minute of the game. It's crazy, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's a funny story.
Speaker 7: Right, Tony Dell was on our staff, right, it's his cousin or nephew was on the Louis team starting.
Speaker 3: We could not get bladed to calm down. He told, I'm a whoop his ass? Which side you pick? I'm like, you ain't tell the man.
Speaker 4: I forgot what Gla was there too.
Speaker 2: That was my rug.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 2: That was my rug.
Speaker 4: I think, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: We might we bull gonna have an advantage for sure. He'll have an advantage for sure, but we're gonna get him in foul trouble all that. Like it's ways around just his talent advantage against us, like like it just won't be talented talent there, Like, he gonna have that advantage for sure. No matter who I choose, he'll have an advantage at five. But everywhere else what it will hell.
Speaker 3: Where like Jamal madd Smith ain't a great that's a great matchup.
Speaker 2: But Smitty oh Man, smitty, But Smitty was a Jama guard in college.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: So you got magic get Smitty at the guard.
Speaker 1: But you figured that out like that, that's fine, Like we'll be all right. You're putting both of them.
Speaker 2: On the I have to say, James, a lot of sign Jamn. I feel like John Wall really know Kentucky basketball history. I feel right now, Jamond, you kind of say you kind of you kind of stuck.
Speaker 7: I'm five because I'm stuck on a lot of positions, bro, because I forgot like Derrick Anderson.
Speaker 4: No, for sure, I can go way deeper into the vault.
Speaker 3: I know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I got you can go way deeper into the vault. But I've been I've been stuck out of five, man. I think like that's where That's why I said we're gonna We're gonna struggle at five for sure, but everywhere else I can go deep into the vault.
Speaker 2: Now, I built the AI called Kobe. Let me ask Kobe. You got Greg Kessler, Greg Kelson, Yeah, Greg kelsor lads, Paul Davis.
Speaker 1: But that's why I can't be like I'm a big part of this man. I can't be like Paul Davis against Hudson, the Marcus cousin, now Paul Davis in real life.
Speaker 4: With Kevin Willis. Kevin Willis for sure, but Kevin Willis what he gave him. Yeah, but he wasn't bullied, No, not bullied. But he would have gave him, He would gave him hell, he wouldn't bully, No, chance. Ain't nobody from Michigan taking bully aging pain.
Speaker 2: That's what I was thinking of ap Adrian Payne.
Speaker 3: He was too little, but he was good college player.
Speaker 4: I like for sure a p No, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: But if I was doing Thischigan State, say matteen Cleves, of course, magic, but I can't start mon magic. No, you start, you start, you start magic playing one two, three, four five for sure. Steve Smith played a one two three for sure. But matteaen Cleves, Steve Smith magic. I picked Smitty Smitty yeah, Steve Smith, Yeah, I pick three. I picked Magic, Yeah, I picked myself. You put Scott Scouts though you pick Scott's Scott Skoules is a good one too. You need you need a center though.
Speaker 7: I got, I left, I got Rondo, I got like he got where he got Ron Mercer Anchoine Walker.
Speaker 4: Uh okay, oh.
Speaker 3: Okay, Damn Fink.
Speaker 1: Go following.
Speaker 4: Mad Yeah, we keep going, okay, okay?
Speaker 1: Sweet now yeah, now I know what y'all got.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know, I'll put it into my AI algorithm and I'll see, uh, I say, god, yeah, who got the best, who got the better?
Speaker 4: Team?
Speaker 2: We know U c l A is uncomparable, So we won't even go there. Y'all can't compete with us.
Speaker 3: Who can?
Speaker 4: Kentucky?
Speaker 9: You crazy here? Come on do that, y'all got some compete Little House Center, so you need to know. Stop being Yeah, stop care Bill Kareem and Magic, like, come on, now, we ain't gonna do that.
Speaker 4: Now we're gonna do that.
Speaker 2: Lilis Center in college, bro, Loui Center in college is a phenomenon. We're not even We're not gonna magic. Come on, no, no, no, we're not gonna eat discust.
Speaker 4: Don't do that.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna He brought the book off that we brought off the bench on our team. Like that's how load he was.
Speaker 4: He wasn't good enough yet it's cool listen.
Speaker 3: Now he was cool. He just want to start yet he want to start yet?
Speaker 1: For sure, Hey, book about to break the all time leading score of record in finished history.
Speaker 4: So before he do it, I'm gonna just say right here, CONGRATU the book.
Speaker 3: That's all congratt.
Speaker 1: That's right, hey, but b the hold on Magic and ast come on.
Speaker 2: Three national championships.
Speaker 1: Magic one one years, one one sophomore year and got out of the hold on.
Speaker 4: Dre, hold on Dre?
Speaker 3: Who is he playing against? People?
Speaker 1: He beat Larry Birden and that championship. I know, I know magic, b I know magic. I'm about Korea was playing against b D. Yeah, that's what I said.
Speaker 3: I know mag He started cer Elvin Hayes.
Speaker 4: He was playing against Come on, man, he was playing against all kind of.
Speaker 3: No, they are great, I'm not. I couldn't wear number eleven in DC.
Speaker 4: See exactly.
Speaker 3: The teams we named it. It's like three or four guys. It's like that, you name a team, they got one.
Speaker 2: Guy who's gonna stop? Who's gonna stop?
Speaker 7: I couldn't wear them about stop, nobody's stopping them. But I'm putting a D on.
Speaker 1: Them and screamers ago. But I'm just saying, you're not gonna act like like I am gonna go. Y'all got kareem like we could sit right in that conversation.
Speaker 2: I'm not all when in college?
Speaker 1: In college? Are you? What?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Not? You could have did it again.
Speaker 4: It was just like my god, Los Angeles glasses, bros.
Speaker 3: Glass, Who's what you writing? In a chance?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: We want to hear the other U C l A player.
Speaker 1: Bill Walton and O'Bannon. No, no, Marks, No, no, it's because Mark. He came sting in this conversation. They all one, So yeah, that's fine, all one to Matt.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm saying Washing Championship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Magic just hey, you're not about to mention you better stop it in your uncle rounding out the five.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take myself off the five, gonna put Draymond's god uncle and the the creator of.
Speaker 4: The Warriors run Bob Myers.
Speaker 2: Talking about impact Now say something.
Speaker 4: I got no.
Speaker 3: Right, you can't do no shoulder that.
Speaker 2: I got no.
Speaker 4: Who's gonna stop Bob Myers.
Speaker 2: When he doubled down to Draymond, when he trimpled down on Draymond, I.
Speaker 4: Got no below for Bob. We're gonna We're gonna move on, Jay Wong.
Speaker 1: For you, what are you doing to containue to stay ready optimistic about returning to the NBA? Are you kind of moving on from that? Are you optimistic you still want to return? Kind of where you staying with that?
Speaker 3: I still like a year. I think like a year or two.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna give it, you know, I mean, but I'm still working out every day, you know what I mean, But doing broadcasting, getting into that field, you know, I mean trying to do some games.
Speaker 3: I went to the g LEA showcase speak on that.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think that's something like I still want to be involved in basketball, you know, I mean like broadcasting, try to be a GM one day. But also you know, me just doing business stuff, networking, I mean, investing in certain things. But most important thing I'm joining U is being a father. I mean being hands on, being able to be around my kids all day every day. I mean, they get into all the sports, you know. I mean my oldest son just asked me two weeks ago to play basketball. They kind of brought some brought some tear, enjoyed in my eyes. I didn't want to force, you know. I mean a lot of parents force their kids. I want him to fall in love with what he want to fall in lower. He loves soccer right now. He's a soccer star. So he just got into basketball, baseball. My youngest one, that's the football guy, you know what I mean, He playing flag football. They telling him for the flag.
Speaker 3: He hit the kids.
Speaker 7: Like I got one, you know what I mean. So I'm enjoying that though, you know. I mean I'm still like staying ready, putting the work, you know, me enjoying the game, watching it. But you I mean, you never know what happens. But I got like a I give it like another year, like next season, see what happens. If it don't happen, then I'm cool with like, you know, I mean giving it up. I mean, I feel like I had a great run. I wasn't mad about it. I mean, injury's a part of the game, like we talked about. But you know what I mean, basketball don't bounce for ever, you know, I mean, I always want to be known as something more important than just a basketball player. That was a great thing and a great run in my careb that's how it ends. But you know, I mean I got a lot more life to live, so I mean I can't trip off that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you got a lot more to give to the game. I know what I was.
Speaker 2: I call it basketball purgatory. When you want, you know, it's like I got one or two more years. I just want to walk off the court on my own terms and fill out one more time and find a young dude that the last young dude I can mentor I think you know all of that kind of like just tug at your soul. So I just wanted to know, you know, from you like going back to the league kind of what would Joe role, Like, what is your mentality you know going back into the league? You know in these and I would say not the last few I would say last few years, not too right, because having someone like you would be valuable to teams.
Speaker 7: Oh for me, like just be real, like you know me, I much always want to be an honest person. So for me, if I go to a team that need help and I feel like I could feel that voy cool. But if I go to a team where they're like, you know what, we won't even we just need you to be a great VET presence, I'm fine with that, you know what I mean, because up front they're being honest with you know what I mean. It's kind of like you don't never want to be blind sided, you know, but it's all part of a business.
Speaker 3: But just let me know what it is.
Speaker 7: When I signed up for it, and if I signed those papers, I know what it is. I mean, I feel like I can help a lot of young guys out. I think a lot of teams need a vet to mentor these young guys. And that's even show them how to watch films, show them how to work, show them how to be a point guard. All those things I think I can help with. I'm cool with every role I get opportunity to be. And like you say, you want to go out the way you want to go out in and on the cruise sailing.
Speaker 1: That's the fact. Do you do you see team right now that you like that team?
Speaker 4: For sure?
Speaker 1: I could be a VET and help these guys out, to help culture all of those things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I see if your team, I mean you got DC, especially your team I've been there before. I feel like you got Charlotte that can help the young guys out in LaMelo and Brandon Miller and those guys. I think, Utah, you're talking you some vets to help those guys out, you know what I mean. But I think a lot of a lot of these teams are doing a better job of adding the vets that they know that they need their days because a lot of times, you know, they was booting the vets out and I think because they was giving the vets kind of mixed signals like we might want you to play a lot of men that we might not. I think if you just tell them like you know what I mean, like kind of like a Todd Gibson role like he's doing I mean, and out there in Charlotte, you look like a Tricia Thompson row. He's helping those guys out in Cleve, you know what I mean. Like if I get in, I get in. If I don't, I'm here to help help the mentor and try to keep those guys on the right path. And I think I lead need to continue to have best even if it's me or not me down the road. I think all team need best to help me young guys, to keep them in that platform, to keep them to understand and like you said, we kind of got to get that old culture back to them to understanding it's not just sweet like these rookies get to walk in down. It's no rookie duties just cake walk though is handed to them. Like we all had to earn it, no matter if he was a top five pick, secon round pick on drafted. We had to earn what we had.
Speaker 2: Atlanta and New York too. I would add those two teams Atlanta and New York.
Speaker 3: New York and New York. You might not be a vegers on the sideline.
Speaker 4: Tears might have you doing.
Speaker 3: You guys like four guys in the I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, you know, New York, they gonna they gonna, they're gonna phase out, or they gonna tire out.
Speaker 3: They're gonna they're gonna burn out. They're gonna burn out.
Speaker 2: Jalen Brunston being a small guard to score a lot. I just see you being you know, you could be a key component defensively, you know, and help stabilize especially in the playoffs, right because you are born, you know, veterans are born for the playoffs. And I think that's where you know, you really are seeing the true value of an experienced guard and experience that because when you put them in in the playoffs, they've been there, they know and they know how valuable possessions are.
Speaker 3: So you know, I say the nixt and they had one.
Speaker 7: It's absolutely it's not for like a year of DC Man special and that's another guy we forgot, like didn't have Yeah, crazy been crazy boy, that's the fact. That's what he mastered.
Speaker 3: That mid range. Don't give.
Speaker 1: Blocking you to know you follow them, you're gonna foul every time like gonna give him to your three throws?
Speaker 4: Yeah, forget them?
Speaker 1: About this mid range in the game crazy before we get out of here. Always love a good list. Who's your top five number one picks since win since go back to? Yeah, two thousand, two thousand thousand, that's my decades.
Speaker 4: Every now from two thousand to now, and you the number one pick.
Speaker 2: You should be looking at his computer right now, John, I'm telling you, I'm letull.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the uh.
Speaker 3: You got? I go two thousand, I go me car.
Speaker 7: A d, Anthony Edwards and Wenby. I really wanted to put Polo up there, but I go Winby. I gotta put a man up there though.
Speaker 4: For sure, not Ben Simmons.
Speaker 3: But if you take me off, if I take if I take myself off, I put pollow in there. You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: But are you taking Kyrie? But are you taking yourself off?
Speaker 7: So you got no, I'm not me Kyrie. I'm the one, Kyrie, the two and my three A D is mine four and that when we played the five. It's a great top five.
Speaker 4: Zion no Zion, No, Ben Simmons.
Speaker 3: Don't start your Shitanians.
Speaker 4: Anthony Town see cat is up there.
Speaker 3: But like I just like d and then the ship when be doing.
Speaker 2: This kel folks, you got Markel folks.
Speaker 3: I think he would have been special if he didn't have this show.
Speaker 2: Anthony Anthony Bennett, Anthony Bennett, Hey, he might be close to man. He could have been a Draymond Green type of you know man.
Speaker 7: Like he started his crew. What he missed like his first with like twenty something shots? Yeah, oh yeah that I heard he didn't such back that.
Speaker 3: I think that's what.
Speaker 7: The first three games you don't score at all, Like you couldn't get a freak throw.
Speaker 3: I think they kind of killed this competence.
Speaker 4: No such you back, especially as number one.
Speaker 7: Pick what you you team on the first game, you might not might have a bad game, Like my first game we played Dwight.
Speaker 3: I'm like, Ship, I can't you live with this? This what Dwight women? I was like, damn, I mean I spent on the block. B.
Speaker 2: That's probably three that's probably year that you showed up like, oh that's No. One pick you got a dropping that damn. Hey, damn, you're out here. You're out here showing up serving don'tnuts out. That's gotta cut you know what.
Speaker 3: But you but then you know they said listening as you know that's mind because like am I like I ain't.
Speaker 2: Storing ship Am I asked, I scored? I scored?
Speaker 1: I think I think if he wasn't the number one pick, he would have.
Speaker 4: He would have asked a decent career.
Speaker 3: But like wh who went to that year? Ship?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: I shamed to be.
Speaker 3: He wasn't way before? Did he go three? Or four?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 3: Did Vic go too that year?
Speaker 4: Let's see to the match? I think maybe.
Speaker 3: Is that wade As draft? Yeah he was four, wad As four so I was three?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah and Vic was two yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, damn, I don't think they knew what to do. You know you look at like this, who for other people?
Speaker 2: One out of the I think I would Alex Alex Slay, Yeah, and Bennett, Victor Oladipo, Otto, Porter, Cody Zeller, Alex Slayn, nurn Nerlandland, Ben Macklamore.
Speaker 3: He was supposed to be the number one pick, but he had towards A C. L.
Speaker 2: Y Van Macklamore seven, Contavious Pope, Uh he was bart nine uh c Z McCulloch. That Michael Carter Williams was the rookie of the year at eleven, Joannis was fifteen s even that twelve limit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody would have did that, but that it should have been you know, you goad. They looked.
Speaker 4: Twenty seven.
Speaker 3: He was a rude They got rudy.
Speaker 4: Go bear, he was twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Doing it today. Begin you keep my mouth closed. Today I a getting barbecue out. John Wall said it unanimous.
Speaker 3: I'm just sharing to like, listen, all right, this is my point.
Speaker 7: I gotta say. Then we could go wherever y'all want go. Your defensive plenty of boy. You gotta be able to guard people. You can't just get put on the.
Speaker 3: Bench for if I got to take you outcause you're getting cooked.
Speaker 2: How are you the defensive player here here?
Speaker 3: That's all I have just come to my friends all the.
Speaker 4: Time, like, bro, that don't make no sense at all, no no brain. Yeah tough.
Speaker 2: You mentioned a little bit that, uh we went back to the G League, win a showcase, start doing some analysts work.
Speaker 4: You know, talk about that. How is that feeling for you? You know what you like about that?
Speaker 7: It was dope, man, It was something new. I mean, try to branch out and try something else. But I mean I see Dre doing you know what I mean. I see Jamal Craffer, one of my good friends, in the lead doing it and I just get to talk about the game of basketball. That mean something that I love to do. And everybody always say you always talking about it twenty four to seven. Like when I'm watching the games, I'm always acting like I'm coaching. I'm playing still, So just being at envidem where I get to talk about the game and beer around the game I love. I'm willing to try to do possibly anything except of coaching. I just can't do no coaching. Young guys make you want to.
Speaker 2: Get over here with their man per dre you coaching to.
Speaker 3: Nelson over You're gonna be like okay in the court, like get what you get.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: You'll be that ten dollars for lunch.
Speaker 2: I can't do it doing walking in the gym with a man purse, not working hard, I mean fired, I mean fire.
Speaker 1: Bed.
Speaker 4: You can't do that today. I go in there, one of the ball boys cut all your fucking Louis.
Speaker 2: The time Luggie cut his purse up, I bett you.
Speaker 4: We get a reaction.
Speaker 2: Till his purse, my purse, my.
Speaker 4: Purse, Jay Wall, we appreciate you coming on the show. Brother.
Speaker 1: Good luck whenever you do decide that you're done with it. Congratulations on your jersey retirement, bro, because it's happening for sure. But man, just it's been an incredible journey and regardless of what happened with it, like what you did in the league, what you did coming from and just continued. Like you look at the young guards that come out or come out of Carolina like seep a little removed from them, you know what I'm saying, and like you kind of filled that gap, you know what I'm saying, Like with Steph, Steph is from Charlotte, but it wasn't like that, right, Like Steph.
Speaker 4: Like he was the kid of an NBA player and so his upbring was just different.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like he was the guy that was giving a young kid from North Carolina hope, you know what I'm saying, Like, because his upbringing was different, and you were that guy who was like giving these young guys hope. And now you look at the Rob Dylly Hams, you know, you look at the the eight and Holloways, you know, and all these young guys coming out of Carolina like that come off the hills of what you did and what you brought and the swag that Rob Dillehan walk around with like that come off the hills of what you brought to the game, and we honored that. Bro, like a lot of people try to make it, you know, try not to respect was brother, your career stellar, lift up to the hype, but number one pick and live up to it.
Speaker 4: We we just talked about it, how many guys don't live up to it.
Speaker 1: Bro. So I just want to tip my hat to you, brother, Thank you, We thank you for coming.
Speaker 4: On the show.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that, appreciate thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: For sure, I want to just echo that, like your character, man, just keep walking in your light, you know, keep basketball around you. You are basketball, and like everything you gave to the game and given to the game, you know it's more to come. And you know who you are as a person and your game. You you like the pride of every kid growing up that was a half not you know, or a kid that want to have and so you are you your story and every every day you walk, you know, just know that you're giving that to people and your characters is what's going to continue to make you blossom for your second back. App that's that you know in basketball.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that, Appreciate every show solutely.
Speaker 1: That's a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show with My Dog b D special guest j Wall.
Speaker 4: We appreciate your brother the
Speaker 2: Volume