Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Katty Armstrong and Jetty and he arms get it the Frum studio scene SEEZ and your It's a dimly lit room deep within the bowels of the Armstrong and Getty Communications compound. Is it already Thursday? The short weeks hit fly by Today we're under the tutelage of our general manager. I warned you, I warned you. I warned you. I warned you as our general That's why wait, I've warned you. I'll tell you what I warned you about after I get done saying I warned you, our general manager this morning. The Court of International Trade. Oh, only one major radio show, Slide Podcast, told you about the Court of International Trade a week or two ago. You probably tuned out because it was a fairly dull segment buyers standards. But it was necessary. It was dullassary, It was vegetable, dull, yet necessary, dul dulassary. The Court of International Trade has said, no, the President doesn't have emergency powers to levy all these tariffs. That all is done. Whoa way to hang on the agreements, does sum in progress some allegedly what all the tariff stuff is off. First of all, we got to use the term dolossary more often. We might even have to set aside a segment a day now, the dolossary segment. It's dull, but it's very important. As an American, you should know this exactly. Let's consider that it's the eating your vegetables. Finish that and then we can have a cookie or something. Yeah, two things on that one. From the very beginning, it's been astounding to me that one man, not Trump, just any one man could rattle world economy that way with his own personal decisions and then wake up in the morning and think, nah, it should be one hundred and five percent or never mind. I mean, one guy being able to do that just doesn't seem like the right system periodically, given the fact that a tariff is a tax, plain and simple. It's attacks on imports. And then secondly, Congress has the right to tax, though they have like virtually all of their other rights and duties given them over to the executive branch. Because they're a bunch of cowards. They are cards. They don't want to take a vote on anything. The other part being, hey, international Trade Court, with your three judges, what were you busy on the left the last two months? That was more important than this? Why did it take care get this long to get around to this? They were getting their ducks in a row, good American made ducks, by the way, not for it. You can't get parts for them now. They stick to the bottom of the pond, right exactly, their toxic Yeah. The Court of International Trade blocked one of the Trump administration's most aud assertions of executive power under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act in nineteen seventy seven, and they said, in short, the Court does not read the Emergency Act to confer such unbounded authority and sets aside the challenge tariffs imposed there under. That goes now to the circuit courts of appeals and then the Supreme Court. This is not some sort of you know, it's it's the first and last Court of International Trade. It can be appealed and certainly will be. Of course, the media, mainstream media, and they're covering of this is all about Trump didn't get what he wants, So we're happy with this court ruling, even though the mainstream media is left and lefties have been talking about tariffs as they answer to everything my whole life. So it's kind of a reverse thingy they don't they care more about Trump losing than the things that they generally like or don't like. And then also the other end of it is in case well and every time Biden trampled on the Constitution, they celebrated it, right, And the other end of it is, in case you didn't know this, almost every conserve real conservative that I like didn't like the idea of a president being able to have this much power. Oh right, yeah, I mean, and y'all should agree. Can you imagine, because there will be a Democrat in the White House at some point or another party because the Democratic Party is in terrible shape. But and if they wield this sort of you know, crazy executive power to tax and just throw economies into turmoil, I mean, President AOC. Jack has brought up this example before. President AOC could declare income inequality a national emergency in the way that Trump has declared trade imbalances as a national emergency, and then President AOC could dictate enormous changes to the economy and trade practices and whatever in the name of income equality, or all kinds of things you would hate around a climate emergency. Yeah, you get a bad hurricane claim that's proof of climate change and all kinds of crazy rules and laws, or the school shooting and you decide clearly a national emergency, all kinds of things we got to do on taking away guns. You're right, don't it right? There's lots of easy examples from the left you could use if you're going to be okay with presidents and executive orders and using emergencies for their justification. Yeah, Trump's doing a lot of great stuff that I love. I've tried to make that very very clear. But we had a lot yesterday, a very long list yesterday if you missed it, but Trump, I'm sorry. Oh, the founding Papas were absolutely right. They knew you, not you necessarily, but you know, people they want a king. They want a king because they think, wow, a king could really get the stuff done that I want them to do. But here's the problem. And if I have to tell you the problem, you should go back to I don't know, fifth grade civics class that or read a little bit of history or something. That sort of executive power is abused. Let's see what percentage of the time one hundred. It's tempting, but you don't want it again. I ask, hey, International Court of Trade, Court of International Trade? How did this not r I as I refer to it. How did this not rise to the top of your to do box above? Wait? No, no, we got to decide whether Belgian yarn falls under the rules were American yarn? No? Pass on all that stuff and get to the global trade has been changed for all of history or not. But anyway, you're just gonna pee all over Belgian yarn. Let's see it. That's why you're not on the Court of International Trade. I'm looking forward to it. Just came across this. I just saw our friend Tim Sandifer retweeted it. We have Tim Sanderfer, a great legal mind, on the show later this morning to talk about a number of things, including Supreme Court releases their most controversial rulings in June, which starts here in a couple of days, and so we got that to look forward to. Any who. He retweeted a George Will column from today from Washington Post that says the Trump administration is the most progressive in US history in terms of its politics. So maybe We'll take a look wi to see what that means. I don't know what that means. From the headline, we should start the show officially. I'm Jack Armstrong. He's Joe Getty on this it is Thursday, May twenty ninth, year twenty twenty five, or Armstrong and getting with this program. I think he probably just means using aggressive executive power to reshape the country in one particular, you know vision. All right, let's speak in the show officially now. According to FCC rules and regulations, lay in truth bombs on you one after another. Here we go at Mark, like to stay on topic here, But squirrel? Squirrel? Where squirrel? Riley Green's like, who invited Rocky? He can get in, he can get out, he can go wherever he wants. Oh, look at that, he's in the bullpen with the guys down there. Yeah he is, Well, what's Tyler halting? Come? Everybody?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 1: Tyler gets left, He's and Wright he's out. But not squirrels and a squirrel in the field at a baseball game. That was our opening clip. Delightful, absolutely so. Tariff policy and obscure court rulings and squirrels on baseball face. That's the Armstrong and Getty show. Squirrel you know you got one hundred and sixty two damn games right based on the field, It's right, exactly need more squirrels. You know what, Chuck's beavers, whatever, any sort of and looks like a giraffe is running across centerfield. Will that thing can really move? Well, it would be awesome in a boring late May game that is meaningless a giraffe anything? Or or how about streakers? Whatever happened to streakers? Streak? We're surrounded by porn in the modern world. Whatever happened to drop and trow and running around a base? You know what I think it is? I remember from the seventies streakers they were always very fit. I think we're all too fat. And what's the point. Oh, there's a naked person porn everywhere. You're right, it's not shocking. You're right about that. So we got to get to some headlines coming up. We got mail bag this hour, more news of the day. That is a giant story that for the most part, the whole tariff thing is over TFN. But I suspect the appeals and Supreme courts will uphold the ruling of the he scrolls down, reminding himself Court of International Trade. I am very unhappy be with how much glee so much of the media is taking in Elon Musk stepping away from his government role. That's not good. It's not good. Yay, he failed. What why are you happy about? Simultaneously, and this shows the depth of their stupidity and hypocrisy, Simultaneously they're thrilled to report he has problems with the big beautiful bill. Right, what are those problems, morons? It's that the government has bloated and overspends, which you've been pushing your entire careers. But no, now you're happy because it's criticizing Trump. Seriously, these people have the intelligence of goldfish. I think. More importantly, they have the integrity of goldfish. Well, goldfish might be very high integrity. I don't actually know. I see your point, though, they have little or no integrity compared to gold vis. Guess whatever animal metaphor you prefer. Okay, so we got lots of the ways.
Speaker 3: Stay here, Hey, somebody's run out on the field, some goofball and a half and a red shirt. Now he takes off the shirt. He's running down the middle by the fifty he's at the thirty. He's bear chested and banging his chest. Now he runs the opposite away, he runs with the fifty, he runs the forty.
Speaker 1: The guy is drunk. But there he goes there twenty. They're chasing him. They're not gonna get him.
Speaker 3: Breathing his arms, bear chested, somebody's topping there.
Speaker 1: Here comes the blue coke. Oh they got him.
Speaker 3: Here comes the Oh they tackle him at the forty yard line.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was the most exciting thing that happened tonight. I'd tell you what. That was a great call on your pump. That was a great call. No, man, he deserves a seat at the right hand of God for that alone. Presidential Medal of Freedom. That's my suggestion. Great stay here. The last living grandson of President John Tyler has died, Yes he has. The reason that is significant is that has often been used as an example of how few generations you can go back in time, as his grandfather was born in seventeen ninety, you know, at the time of George Washington of the United States, was born when George Washington was president, and his grandson, last grandson just died. Doesn't take many generations to go really far back in time, right, especially if you've got a family that knocks out kids really really old, which is what happened, and it has him a little bit later but in life than normal. But yeah, you can jump back pretty fast. It's interesting. Yeah, the point certainly remains. Although in the case of the Tyler family, President Tyler himself was sixty three when he had a son, and that son was seventy five when he had a son. Really, Okay, well this is an extreme example, then yes, because I consider having a kid at seventy five damn near criminal. Well that is seventy five's literally three generations. So dude himself took up three generations, so we are still a young country. The point remains, but it's not quite as amazing as it sounds. That's a decent point. Taking the magic out of things, that's what I do. No, that's not interesting. And here's magic out of things. No, that's not funny. And here's why. No, you shouldn't be happy. And here's why I'm strong and getty. Taking the magic out of things. He heard a headline that fills you with joy or awe, here's why you're wrong, stomping the magic out of life. I'm strong in Getty Show. Speaking of Witch, here's your first headline. AI could wipe out half of all entry level, white colored jobs and spy unemployment by ten to twenty percent within five years. Warren's the CEO of AI Giant Anthropic. Yeah, man, I didn't read. There's a piece in the New Yorker where a leading AI expert who's on the side of it's not gonna be near as big a deal as you think writes an essay, and then a leading AI expert who says this is going to change everything. Hold on, buckle up, writes an essay. And I haven't read it yet. I guess it's it's it's pretty pretty well thought out on both sides. But one point I heard the other day is one out of ten workers does some sort of driving job. One out of ten, So whether truck drivers, Uber, you know, Amazon delivery, just all kinds of different things. Bus. Yeah. I could go on and on, but you could probably use your own imagination driving. I mean that alone, if self driving comes along, you disrupt ten percent of jobs, that would be huge, and it's going to be significantly more than just driving. So this chap told Axios that companies and the government must stop sugar coating the threat and prepare for mass disruption and tech law and finance. As my kid is halfway through law school, or a third of the way, most people are unaware of this is about to happen, he said. It sounds crazy. Another headline, Marco Rubio, Secretary of State among other duties, announced last evening that the US will begin revoking visas of Chinese students, including those with connections to the Chinese Communist Party. You're studying in critical fields. I know this is headlines and we're not supposed to go deep on these, but back to the AI thing briefly. It just was just thinking, ruminating about it. If it's going to disrupt the entire world, yeah, we can take a minute. It's just ruminating while you were talking. So are people who have like school age kids like I do. Ten years from now, are twenty something kids going to be living in our house as we all just try to figure out the way the new world works and what they're gonna do or how they're gonna do it, or what government program is going to pay them to stay home or oh my god, there is a significant chance that that is indeed, we will. Holy crap. And by significant, I don't mean and I'm not an expert in the field obviously, but by significant, I don't mean like ten percent. I mean like forty re emphasizing that the actual experts differ in the timeline on this, but there is a decent chunk of them that think it's coming really soon. Yeah. Yeah. As we mentioned earlier, if you're just tuning in the US Court of International Trade, that is a thing blocked Trump from imposing all of his more severe tariffs on imports from countries like China and Mexico. Canada Justice Apartment says it'll peel. It goes up to the circuit course and then the Supreme Court, But for now, all the big tariff stuff is off. It is off. Another headline that I like is it looks like Trump told net and Yahoo know, we ain't going to help you bomb Iran, and don't you bomb Iran because we're close to a piece deal and he waved off Netan Yaho nuts. Whether or not Israel acts alone, we don't know, And whether we are indeed close to a piece deal, it's tough to say, because Trump usually comes off very positive. Yeah. No, doubt about that. We got a lot more. I hope you can stay here, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: But the paper itself, she was citing real books, but the quotes did not exist. The page numbers were the citing page seven hundred in the book only had three hundred pages.
Speaker 1: So that's a professor on the lead with Jake Tapper on CNN talking about a student who used a AI on their paper. Well, that's that makes the news. I have a feeling that here at the end of the school year about eighty to ninety percent of papers have at least used AI for something, if not a lot of the paper. I would be shocked if that wasn't the case. Well, I think he'd be a fool if you didn't use it for a list of good sources and or proposed structure for the paper. I'm in the habit thanks to you bringing it up now, of I go to it before I go to Google for most things, and it is so good and thorough, it's just absolutely amazing. I've got it on the front page of my phone now because it's my go to if I got a question about anything. It's just so good at getting there. But to that point of cheating. You brought this up last week, this hilarious story of this Harvard professor writing a paper about dishonesty in which she stole and or made up facts. She did both. I'm sorry, I must quittle. She is one of the leading scholars in the field. This is multiple major projects that have attracted huge attention through the years she was making. This came out today. She was making at Harvard Francesca Gino a million dollars a year. She was one of their highest paid faculty. She was a giant in the field. She was making a million dollars a year as a behavioral scientist at Harvard Business School, and she got fired for fabricating data on her studies focused on dishonesty, which is just too much. A million dollars a year, These freaking frauds. Yeah, yeah, well, and she's she's counter student claiming all sorts of stuff. But you've got these rogue rogues, is that the right word. These crusading scholars who go through all sorts of scholarship, and they use algorithmic analysis of the data to find suspicious patterns, and when they find it, they dig into it further and they've identified all sorts of fraudulent academia or academic work. You know, you combine that with the utter ridiculousness of the so called soft sciences, as James Lindsay and Helen Pluckrowse and Peter Bogosien pointed out famously a few years ago, how much well, okay, I'm sorry. And then to finish the delicious stew of stupid, you combine that with all the woke crap that's being taught on campuses, the federal subsidies to higher education, which has made it suffocatingly expensive. I mean, our university system could not be more diseased. And it used to be the envy of the world. Man, Harvard is to fallen in terms of the way people think about Harvard a lot in the last five to ten years, for a whole bunch of different reasons. This is the first professor that's with tenure that's been fired since the forties. That alone is probably a problem. You're gonna tell me there's not one professor in the last eighty years that has deserved to be fired. Okay. I think there's it's a great truth there, and it's still forming in my head. Harvard has gone from a place that achieved greatness because it was so academically rigorous, to a place that has preserved its greatness by pretending nothing's wrong. So I think in the years that built Harvard, which is like the year sixteen eighty on, they would have heaved professors out for being fraudulent or dishonest right and left. That's how they became great. But now that they are great, to protect that greatness, it's another facet or it's like a tangent to the iron law of bureaucracy. Harvard is now a giant self protecting bureaucracy. The vast majority of people there do not get up in the morning with the aim of pursuing academic excellence. They get up in the morning with the aim of protecting Harvard. I know this. First of all, this is hurtful to sever of people. I know I hope aren't listening, but and I know what their response would be. I gotta believe the vast majority of published papers are crap, useless crap that's only for each other, and nobody reads we know statistically that's true. Nobody ever cites or reads them. It's just it's like a it's like an internal make it justify each other's existence organization that they've built. Correct. Yeah, well, you're so fond of good Heart's law, speaking of the great laws that govern the universe, where if a measure becomes a standard, it ceases to be it ceases to be valid as a measure. Yeah. Well, if I've got to publish what happened for papers a year? I have gone from a guy who published papers because they ought to be published because there's good research and data and people should know this stuff too. Ah crap, I gotta do four papers, all right? What am I gonna do this week? But this particular paper that one launched her getting investigated and losing her million dollar a year job. She had done a study claiming that requiring people to sign an honesty pledge at the beginning of a form, rather than the end, boosted honest responses, which I actually think probably is true. You made me say again, so have you ever I've filled out tons of papers. I'm sure you have at the end where you swear that everything you just said was true. Oh yeah, okay, putting that at the beginning of the of the form makes it more likely or honest. I'll but that's true. That makes sense to me, makes perfect sense. How doing you do it at the end is kind of odd? Actually, yeah, yeah, she a number of her studies were really interesting in thought provoking. They're about dishonesty and and you know, I read the descriptions of them and thought, wow, that's that's really disappointing that she may have faked up the dad, because that's a really important revelation about humankind. But also it's also kind of funny though, as we were just saying, these papers they disappear into the world of justifying each other's existences. It doesn't mean anything to the rest of the humanity. So the fact that you get fired for you know, copying somebody else's who cares. I mean, ultimately, it doesn't make any difference unless you're gonna tear the whole thing down, which I'd be all for. And to remake a point have made before, the idea that occasionally these woke professors in your fake fields of study, gender studies, you know, ethnics, whatever, that they plagiarized. Of course they plagiarized. The entire field is repeating the cult's talking points. That's how you become a giant in the field. By repeating the doctrine of woke. So of course they're plagiary. They're not supposed to innovate. That's the last thing they're supposed to do and has been well document And it also, if you go against the prevailing narrative on whatever topic it is, you got no chance. You got to go along with the prevailing narrative. See climate change as an example. There's not a chance you're gonna get anywhere being a scientist who says, you know, I'm not exactly sure it is getting that warm that fast. That's no money, No, there's not. That's not gonna get you anywhere. I had one other thing to say about this. I want to point out what was it? And I publish the paper on truth and mine. I don't know. I don't pop back in it. Iron Lobby got good hearts long so on a completely different topic. I'm trying to find the numbers I had the other day. It's probably more trouble. I I did want to point this, that's such a progressive thing. Though the other people shouldn't lie. It's very important people be honest. I, however, am so smart. I can handle the you know, the fudging around the edges. But only people like me can do that. That's the exact you know, free speech. I can determine what speech should be. Okay, not on because my vote, my motives are so pure, My motives are pure, and my judgment is so good. Yeah. Anybody who says that I immediately know their motives suck and their judgment is worse. On a similar topic, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, that's one of like four titles he has announced Wednesday evening that the Trump administration would work to aggressively revoke visas of Chinese students, including those with ties to the Chinese Communists Party, are those who are studying in critical fields. He did not nail down exactly what it meant to have quote unquote ties to the Communist Party or what the critical fields were, although I think we can guess well enough at what those things mean. A couple of quick points. Number one mentioned earlier. All right, I guess it was yesterday that foreign students make up less than five percent of American university students, but they pay twenty eight percent of the tuition. They are a cash cow. No offense to Indian students with sacred cows Hinduism, et cetera. But you're our sacred cow. You're certainly our cash cow. There. They are a huge cash grab and so many, many, hundreds of thousands of American students can't get into the so called elite universities because they're busy sucking cash out of the rich foreigners, including many many Chinese students. These Chinese students are either Chinese agents or Chinese nationals who are susceptible to being forced to become Chinese agents. If Xi Jinping, the CCP, ever, decides that they would be useful, that's second part is risk. Yeah, that second part is tough. I mean, you know, if you're here as a spy and that was your purpose to come here, obviously, if we can boot you out, we ought to boot you out. But if you're here and you're just seriously wanting to study whatever and you like America, just fine. But the Communist Party says, hey, your your mom is going to lose her job unless you take a picture of these forms that you have access to. I feel researcher with us. I feel bad for that person. Well, feeling bad is no basis on which to conduct foreign policy. Sir, Wow, grow up. Wow, now I hear you. It's definitely. It's a different situation, but one you have to be aware of. I've told a story one hundred times FBI counter intelligence going on to a major college campus. Tell them the university president, your campus has Chinese agents all over the place, and he said, get off of my campus, you racists. That is the state of academia. It is an enormous, glaring weak spot for US national security. I don't doubt for a bit that that is true. But what are you going to ban every Chinese born student in America from a whole bunch of different academic fields. You're going to aggressively revoke visas of Chinese students, including those with ties to the Chinese Communist Party. Here those who are studying criminal in critical fields here's and listen, there are subtleties to this, and I'm so yes, is the answer based on that last phrase or studying in critical fields? I'm making a bit of a maximalist argument here, partly, you know, because of time limitations. But I don't recall our educating young Nazis in rocketry program during the nineteen thirties and forties. Perhaps I've forgotten about them. Now, our relationship with or you know, young Russian students need to understand nuclear arms in the fifties. Now, our relationship with China is more complex. But there's a real grain of truth to that description. Yeah, comparison, you're right, there is. That's interesting. We got mail bag on the way, so much to talk about today. I hope you can stay hear in an hour or two. I want to talk about Elon as he is exiting his role in the White House. Remember early in the Trump administration, I said, for the first time since Trump came on the scene, I'm hearing one name more than his and it's Elon. Elon got mentioned more within earshot every day than Trump. He's leaving now. But the way that's being treated by most media drives me crazy. Anyway, hour two, pound on their stupid heads. Here's your freedom loving quote of the day. To pound on their stupid head heads. But I'm the man of peace and will not. Today's freedom loving quote of the day from John Philpot Current, who is an Irish politician and orator back in the seventeen eighteen hundreds. Really an amazing guy. Sometimes when I have a little time, I'll figure out who the freedom loving quote of the day quota exactly is, and read about them anyway. The quote, and this will sound familiar, exists in several different forms. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance. Clearly unequivocally true. You want liberty, the cost is eternal vigilance. Now he was an amazing man of courage, great orator, crusader for freedom, et cetera. And then in looking at his biography, I came across the final part bitterness in his final years. His last days were embittered by domestic troubles and by political disappointment and despair. Quote, everything I see disgusts and depresses me. I look back at the streaming of blood for so many years, and everything else everywhere relapse into its former degradation. So that's that he moved into the old man Yells a clouds phase of his life. And how do you avoid that? I was upset about something yesterday and I thought, I can't live the rest of my life disappointed by mankind. I can't let me do that. Let me finish the description. So everything everywhere relapsed into its former degradation. France rechained Spain again, saddled for the priests in Ireland like a bisbastinadoed elephant, kneeling to receive the paltry rider, and a few days before his death, at the mention of Irish politics, he hung his head and burst into tears. So how do you avoid that, because there is a I mean, I could make the same arguments easily about the United States and the direction we're headed and be miserable the rest of my life. Oh yeah, to me, be miserable that that doesn't help anybody. To me, that's I will tell you the answer to that question, which I happen to have. The battle for liberty is never ending, and the front moves back and forth. And maybe John philpop Kerrant, in the prime of his life, had moved the front line further toward the goal of liberty, and late in his life it had retreated. But he done his part. He fought his battles, and now he has to trust the next generations to fight theirs. That's just the way it works. I know this has taking up all Mailbag's time, but so I'm reading monocham Began's autobiography and then listening to another book about him. He Prime Minister Israel, won the Nobel Peace Prize blah blah blah blah blah. Anyway, nineteen seventies primarily uh yeah, but he fought his whole life for jewelry and the jew's not jewels, jewelry, jewelry rings. Anyway, he spent the last many years of his life just hold up in his house, depressed, miserable that he that you know, it didn't matter failed. What are you going to do? People don't listen to me. I just and I thought, God, your whole life, but your last who wants to spend like the last ten years of their lives miserable about the state of mankind? And I thought, if it could happen to him, towering intellect and men brave as, how do you avoid that? And a lot of old people. I mean, it's like the it's the cliche, right, and old guy sitting there in his couch watching Fox News, angry at the world. I don't want to spend all day like that. How do you avoid that? I think you you just and listen. I'm lecturing me, folks, not you. I think you'd say what I just said. That things EBB and flow. All you can do is do your best, and you know it's the cruelty of high expectations. You may progress and you're certain that that progress will remain and the only thing in front of you is more progress, and that's just not the nature of mankind. Yeah right, well, uh, you know, speaking of the nature of mankind, obviously you got two examples we've just mentioned of like very smart driven people who couldn't avoid these sitting there watching Fox News being angry syndrome. Yeah, as it were, Oh god, dang it, it's just h If John Philpott Current had seen Fox News, he would have said, why are demons speaking to me from a box? Because it was the eighteen I see your point. Yes, anyway, so maybe we'll do mailbag next hour. It is quite amusing. There are so many big stories. If you're just tuning in, you haven't heard. The Court of International Trade has ruled, and that's a US court, by the way, has said no this tariff stuff. No, no, we're not letting it happen. The tariff thing might be over what maybe So if you missed this segment with the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand, Armstrong and Getty