Speaker 1: This is Wall Street Week. I'm David Weston bringing you stories of capitalism this week. How women are gaining on men in the professional sports race, particularly in soccer and basketball. Plus how all professional sports for men and for women has become an important alternative asset class for investors, and putting your money where your faith is the growing role of faith based investment. But we start with a story about course correction when things aren't going so well and when some adjustments may be warranted. China began its annual Two Sessions meeting this week to set its economic course as it faces problems with consumer confidence for an investment, outflows, the housing market, and more tariffs from President Trump. We asked our special contributor, Larry Summers of Harvard, whether China is on its way back.
Speaker 2: I think is too early to know for sure. I think that the technology developments on around Deep Seak are an important reminder of China's profound technological capacity. I think there are signs that the Chinese government is having, frankly, the kind of experience that often happens in societies where fear does the work of reason.
Speaker 3: Their fear of economic stagnation is driving a reprochmall with their technology businesses which have enormous potential economic energy, and there are some signs that the commitment to economic reform is increasing in China. I also have to say that I think the degree of division that has been created in the last two weeks between the United States and Europe, the degree of abandonment of the developing world that the United States has manifest with its attack on developing countries with efforts to essentially eliminate our international aid agencies, that is also an immense strategic gift to China. And I cannot imagine a greater strategic gift over the medium and long term to China than the prospect that has been raised by the Secretary of Defense with White House support of eight percent annual defense cuts for the United States on an annual basis going forward.
Speaker 1: Elizabeth Economy, senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, gave us an overview of the two sessions, what they could mean for the direction of the Chinese economy and how the United States might respond.
Speaker 4: And it's not just about the economy. They're going to look at foreign policy. They're going to look at the judiciary and the anti corruption campaign, they'll look at the military. And then third, it's an opportunity to present new proposals and ideas for legislation, and they'll present a couple thousand different proposals over the course of the year and then debate them during this period. So it's a kind of interesting moment, But fundamentally this is about assessing how successful has the Chinese government been and what do they need to do moving forward.
Speaker 1: Put us in the seats of some of the delegates, what are the challenges do you think that they are looking at right now?
Speaker 4: And there's no doubt that the Chinese economy, I think from COVID until now has faced a pretty significant set of challenge. Is at the same time, you know, January was not so bad. You had the breakthrough of China's ai company Deep Seek, you had some good news in the property sector, some good news in lending. So I think there there's enough that sigen Ping and the sort of Chinese leadership can speak to that's reasonably positive. And they'll try to make the case that right now they're going through some challenges, but they see the path forward and ultimately they will succeed. So the delegates know the reality of the economy on the ground. But they're going to be also, you know, caught in the middle of some pretty positive propaganda that the leadership is going to try to feed to.
Speaker 1: Them as they come together with a plan for the future. What levers could they pull? I mean, and let me be specific, how much fiscal headspace do they have, because I've read a lot of things at the level of debt that actually may be underestimated. I'm part of the Chinese government, right.
Speaker 4: So, you know, they put forward an number of steps fiscal stimulus back in September, and again it seemed to have some some positive have some positive implications for the economy.
Speaker 1: How would you describe the overall economic goals of China of the Chinese government right now?
Speaker 4: I mean, China has a number of goals, I think, you know, one goal certainly is to prompt proof the economy. Uh you know, she didn't Ping, you know, announced his theory of dual circulation, which is basically the idea that China can innovate, manufacture, and consume largely within itself. He says, you know, the Chinese economy is incomparable in terms of its size and its ingenuity. It wants to continue to export to continuing to have you know, foreign manufacturers depend on China for parts of their supply chains. But you know, for the most part, he wants to insulate China from the pressures of the global economy. I think that's one big goal. Again, I think number two, they want to you know, make China the leading innovation power in the world. They want to increase GDP per capita that's really slowed down in the past couple of years. You know, they want consumer spending to be rebooted.
Speaker 5: So I think they have a lot.
Speaker 4: Of different kinds of goals for their economy. Fundamentally, Xi Jinping, i think, is saying this is a difficult period for us, but it's part of our industrial upgrading. These are sort of normal bumps in the road. Once we get through these, you know, challenges, it's you know, we're going to see the Chinese economy take off. So I think there are a lot of different elements to this. In terms of what Chi Jinping wants to see moving forward.
Speaker 1: Let me ask about two specific sectors. One is I call it green green energy. It can be ev solar panels, things like that. The other is tech does Jijimping need to win on those or is flourishing enough, and he need to beat the United States.
Speaker 4: Now, I think at this point this is a zero sum game in Chi Jinping's mind. And I think if you listen and if you've listened to his rhetoric over the past, you know, more than decades since he came to power about the East is rising and the West is declining, We're going to have the triumph of socialism over capitalism, and all the targets that he's put in place. He wants China to be the number one innovation power in the world, and that does mean supplanting the United States. So I do think that this is to some extent, you know, China beating the United States just to look at. One of the things that they're going to be looking at in the two sessions is how successful China has been with it's Made in China twenty twenty five program. And this was a plan that was put in place Undersigen Ping in twenty fifteen to ensure that Chinese companies would become the dominant manufacturers in China across ten critical cutting edge technologies like clean tech, like new materials, like semiconductors like medical devices, they'd become domestic champions and then become global champions, so they would dominate the global economy. And we've already seen this happen, I think to some extent in the sectors that you mentioned, or at least in the clean tech sector. I think we should expect to see China in the low end semiconductors, in new materials in AI do exactly what it's done in the clean tech sector for those sectors as well. So we're going to be facing an enormous amount of overcapacity, an enormous amount of competition from Chinese companies moving forward.
Speaker 1: President Trump seems to have a somewhat different goal in mind. So let's flip over to the other side here. As we look at a new Trump administration that is imposing and threatening various sorts of tariffs, how big a risk is that for China.
Speaker 4: I think China has spent the past eight years preparing for the eventuality of more tariffs. There hasn't been a moment since the first Trump administration that there haven't been more tariffs placed on goods from China and various kinds of goods. So I think this is nothing new for them. I think they've taken several steps proactively to reduce the share of Chinese exports that over all that go to the United States. They've relocated some of their manufacturing to third countries to try to avoid the tariffs. They've tried to make progress in that idea of creating you know, fortress China to become less dependent on the global economy, including the United States. And I think critically, they've developed their own retaliatory toolkit. Right, So, when when we put tariffs on China, you know, China responds by putting you know, teriffs back on on US goods. They you know, will single out US companies like Google or like Micron for investigations. And even if those investigations don't amount to much, the mere threat, the mere statement that they're going to do that can often spook suppliers and consumers inside China and make it very difficult for those companies. They've taken up export controls, right. So, we've seen arrange now of critical minerals that China has placed new licensing requirements on, and those are minerals that we need and metals that we need for our you know, defense industry. For our own clean tech industry. So China has a lot of tools at its disposal that is prepared to deploy.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Will the money follow the momentum of women's sports? That's next on Wall Street Week. This is a story about perseverance and the women who are laying the foundation for what looks to be a huge investment opportunity women's sports, where two of the fastest growing are the WNBA and the National Women's Soccer League.
Speaker 6: I think when you're looking at the women's sports space specifically in the last five years, what you're seeing in the surge of growth really begins with consumers.
Speaker 7: It wasn't really until the last five years that women's sports has had as much ability to be broadcast than ever before.
Speaker 8: You're finally putting this product in the right spotlight, and it is exploding in popularity.
Speaker 1: From tennis to volleyball, to soccer to basketball. Women are bringing it both on and off the courts and the pitches, with women's sports sponsorships attracting over a billion dollars and total team valuations predicted to increase from two point six billion dollars in twenty twenty three to four point three billion dollars in the next three years.
Speaker 2: Number one, don't live it up.
Speaker 1: There is no question that women are fueling fandoms across stadiums, fields and arenas, but is it sustainable.
Speaker 7: Little by little we've been able to see huge increases in viewership and investment. With that comes the investment that we're now seeing today, where people are really seeing more viewership their form, more attendance their form, more sponsorship their form, more merchandise being sold, and that all leads to more external dollars coming into the ecosystem saying I believe that this is an economy that we can support and that also will have great returns.
Speaker 1: More fair Level is the executive vice president of Wasserman's The Collective, a women focused global advisory business whose mission is to drive investment in women's professional sports.
Speaker 7: The exciting part right now about women's sports is that we're seeing similar types of investors in women's sports, which means that women's sports has reached a point where true capital partners are coming in looking at how can they invest in this Nason economy.
Speaker 1: Women's sports might still be new on the scene, but they're growing fast. WNBA attendance almost doubled from twenty twenty three to twenty twenty four, and in women's soccer, the twenty twenty four final alone drew nearly a million viewers, nearly twice the audience as its men's counterpart, and the money is following the eyeballs, as media rights for the NWSL jumped from one point five million dollars to sixty million dollars in the most recent deal.
Speaker 9: What it's.
Speaker 1: Given the numbers, it's no surprise that investors are paying attention, leading Laval to work with RBC to produce a study on the investment opportunities that women's sport provide.
Speaker 7: We started this particular study with RBC, which is our second study with them earlier in twenty twenty four. Really wanted to look at the trends that we were seeing about how much money was starting to come into From an investment perspective, we were seeing an enormous amount of private equity coming in different venture capital groups, individual family offices, driving some real dollars into women's teams and leagues, and so we wanted to stop and think about from an RBC wealth investor perspective, how these teams and leagues would prove to be really good investment for them, and so we set out to look at this specifically through NWSL and WNBA because they are the most mature leads in the United States, and really looked at very specific variables, particularly the revenue drivers.
Speaker 8: It's amazing to me that we've reached a point where this younger generation, this is their normal. They're normal is that female athletes are able to play in a stadium like this sold out with an incredible amount of fans.
Speaker 1: Chris and Angie Long are among those who have become investors, leading the group that bought the NWSLS Kansas City Current give.
Speaker 10: It full panoramic view. As more and more opportunities to watch women's sports have arisen, you've naturally now seen this massive growth and popularity because at the end of the day, it's all about the product on the field. When you have a product that's as fantastic as women's sports, there's no doubt it's going to be successful.
Speaker 8: We have been big sports fans. We actually were season ticket holders to a bi professional women's team that was in Kansas City, and I think you know our experience in twenty nineteen being in Paris at the Women's World Cup really was enlightening to see the opportunity from an investment side, especially in light of the tremendous amount of global growth in the women's game.
Speaker 1: In building their franchise in Kansas City, the Lungs are focused on their brand.
Speaker 10: One of the leading jersey sales.
Speaker 1: And one of the things that has limited the growth of women's professional sports franchises, a dedicated place to practice.
Speaker 11: And play this whole space is the Kanti State Current. I think that alone is a big differentiator because most other women's teams are playing in someone else's stadium, so they're relegated to a smaller space that might be more akin to a visitor's locker room. I think one of the things that is harder to put a value on, but incredibly important is brand recognition. The first year that we had a team, it was a little bit like, oh, did you know there's a women's professional team in Kansas City.
Speaker 5: Now to the point.
Speaker 8: Where we are now where if we go somewhere and travel outside the country, people say, oh, Kansas City, isn't that the place that built the stadium for the women's team. And the first thing you see when you drive into this city is this stadium.
Speaker 5: There's not a person.
Speaker 8: In Kansasity, the Midwest and a lot of the country that doesn't know about the Kansas City Current and the state and they play in.
Speaker 10: I think from a revenue perspective, I'm unaware of another women's professional sports team globally that's done as much revenue as we did this past year, which by the way, is only our fourth season in operation. So from a financial success standpoint, I think that speaks volumes.
Speaker 8: From a revenue growth perspective, we're doing fantastic. I think it is north of a twenty million dollars swing in revenue being in your own facilities. From a asset appreciation perspective, we're doing fantastic.
Speaker 10: You look at what you can do in women's sports today and the multiple invested capital versus the risk taken, it's out of whack. It's absolutely in the investor's favor, and I think that's part of the reason you're seeing a lot more capital pour in, including private equity firms and these new sports funds and all the things that are happening, I think are due to the fact people are realizing, wow, if I'm going to take an ill liquid asset investment like a sports team, I should get compensated for it. And there's no better game in town than what we're seeing on women's side.
Speaker 1: But there is another league taking women's sports to the next level, the WNBA. Since Caitlin Clark emerged as a budding superstar at the University of Iowa, women's basketball has skyrocketed, garnering the league more fans and opening up new markets.
Speaker 6: We are the first expansion team since two thousand and eight. Last was Atlanta and then following us we have Portland in Toronto next year. So growth of WMBA has been a long time coming and it's taken many years to get here. This building has actually always been here for the Golden State Warriors, and now it's our Valkyrie's Performance Center. So this is the area that you know, the championships were one before Chase Center was Bill Steph Curry is in Steph Curry. Yeah, small name, right, and now we've had an opportunity to make it our own.
Speaker 1: Jess Smith was the head of revenue for the NWSL's Angels City Football Club, where she introduced new sponsorship models and broke records in attendance. She is now the president of the WNBA's Golden State Valkyries the first expansion team in seventeen years.
Speaker 6: When you look back during COVID, WNBA actually got together and played.
Speaker 5: They were the first league to do this.
Speaker 6: It was also a really key moment to where consumers were sitting at home on their couch looking for entertainment and tuning in and really taking note of these incredible athletes, really taking note of what they were standing for when it came to social justice, and there was an unlock that began to happen with consumers and women's sports.
Speaker 5: So as consumers.
Speaker 6: Began to unlock giving those ratings, began to unlock buying merchandise, buying tickets, and understanding that their dollars in time and interest was driving the growth of the w Media listened right, teams listened, leagues listened, and more investment began to come in. And those consumers have really really rewarded everyone in that circle that is equated to the growth.
Speaker 1: When we talk about growth, how do you measure it? What are the metrics you pay attention to?
Speaker 6: There's two things. One is money and revenue. Right, are your revenue lines growing? Are you investing the right way to make sure that those are growing exponentially, And two is fandom. How many people are coming into your ecosystem through purchases but also followship on social media or TV ratings, And so if you're looking at both of those, the growth is very significant, but we have a close eye on both every single day.
Speaker 1: As fast as women's professional sports are growing, they still lag behind their male counterparts, at least for the most part. Where the NBA Playoffs averaged four point five million TV viewers last year, the WNBA had one point one million. Twenty two point five million fans attended NBA games in person, where the WNBA had two point four million, But the gap is closing. Viewership numbers were up one hundred and thirty nine percent for the women last year, but down twelve percent for the men. You have a foundation in both men's and women's sports from your experience, what's different about the two.
Speaker 6: That's a really good question. I don't know if I've been asked that way before. I would say the assumptions of things in women's sports, it's been assumed that when you create a product, well, you better not lose any money. And it's just interesting the standard that has existed there before I joined the Angel City, I was in certain rooms where organizations would think about should we get a women's team, should we explore this? And what was really interesting about the mindset there was that it was the conversation always came back to, well, if we sold four thousand tickets, maybe we wouldn't lose money, instead of what would it take to sell this out? That advantageous opportunity to build a product and build a business and seek revenue and be relentless about it seemed to be lacking from my personal experience when having the ability to kind of compare it to and think of the rooms that I was in at Angel City. What was beautiful about that experience was we had so many people from outside of sport really using sport as an opportunity to create a better tomorrow, but wanted to build a sports product because it was an untapped opportunity. How do we create the most robust partnership portfolio and assets, How do we have the best content? And then you saw the market respond. And now you've seen that effectie and certainly within the different leagues and teams. You know, but that's that's only just getting started.
Speaker 7: Only in the last five years have we been able to see more games online, more clanging of the drum, for more viewership of all of these sports through both social media and through these athletes just having a bigger platform to say, hey, come and watch us.
Speaker 1: Hey, Fever fans is Caitlin Clark.
Speaker 5: I can't wait to get to Indianapolis. I know you guys are excited.
Speaker 1: I am to go Fever.
Speaker 6: There's often been so many misconceptions about audience in women's sports. So long people have said an NBA fan is a WNBA fan, And what we know about our consumers is that it really is for everyone. I don't know if you've seen the T shirts that say everyone watches women's sports, and that statement is so powerful because it's true. The audience is actually pretty much fifty percent men and women. It's not a women's product for women. This is an incredible product for everybody.
Speaker 1: With all the success of the WNBA, it's still less than the NBA in terms of dollars, in terms of audiences, but it's growing faster the NBA. Can you see a day that actually the WNBA overtakes the NBA.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's about overtaking. I think there's this limiting mindset that there can only be one like can there only be one NFL versus NBA? The answer is no. What I believe in what we're already seeing is that this league will be one of the most successful sports leagues in the world, regardless of gender. It's already the fifth most watched sport here in North America and we are only thirty years old. We have the best talent globally coming to this league, playing in this league, with an upward trajectory of expansion and growth and viewership and games, that's going to be unstoppable. But there's not a this or that. I do believe that this league will be amongst the greats globally. When we think of viewership and engagement.
Speaker 1: Coming up sports as an investment class, it's driven in part by the rapid growth of women's professional soccer and basketball. That's where weturn next on Wall Street Week. If the story of women's sports is one of dramatic growth, it comes against the backdrop of sports overall growing into a major asset class that has become an important alternative investment for many portfolios.
Speaker 12: The rate of change has been pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Nicole Pullen Ross leads sports and entertainment solutions in private wealth for Golden Sacks.
Speaker 12: Whether it is the growth in women's basketball starting from college through the WNBA, or whether it's the valuations that we're seeing across various leagues, or whether there's the viewership that we're seeing, all of those things have converged in a way that has led our clients to think, I want to have exposure. I want to participate in this growth, both from a past perspective but also from a profitability perspective.
Speaker 1: As big as investing in sports is today, it wasn't always that way. It grew out of agents representing athletes and the related businesses that grew around them. George Pine was one of those at the Iconic IMG and watched the private equity business grow around it.
Speaker 13: When you kind of take a step back and you look at sports, it's primarily been run by governing bodies and families, and they were very conservative in the application of capital and the use of capital, and so therefore outside sources of the capital didn't see this as a viable entry point. But as time has gone by and the meteorites have increased in sports and the audience and the abidity of sports of increase, so has the value of the teams, so is the value of the industry, and so has the opportunities within the sport.
Speaker 14: Early in my career I was involved in one of the sort of archetypal sport businesses, IMG Worldwide, my mentor Ted Forsman, acquired in the early part of the Oughts.
Speaker 1: Josh Empson is another IMG alone. He is now the new co head of Sports at investment and advisory firm Sixth Street, owner and investor in sports teams such as FC Barcelona, Real Madrid and the San Antonio Spurs.
Speaker 14: And the fascinating thing about the history of IMG is that the founder, Mark McCormick, was effectively the financial advisor for Arnold Palmer and then Jack Nicholas, and as he looked at this, he realized that Palmer and Nicholas were the value, not the league, not the tour that was organizing them. And McCormick realized and built that entire business, which became a multi billion dollar business, on the idea that they could be their own brand, they could bring the unique value to events, and I think that actually allowed in some ways gender parody. At an earlier stage and I think a lot of that is about the sponsorship ecosystem, right that they didn't have to win just on the court for the purse. You could find someone whoever was the charismatic number one in the world in either sport, could command a global audience for the period of their ascendancy and monetize it.
Speaker 1: Sports and investing in sports have come a long way from the days of representing Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicholas. In their size and scope including geographic scope, Yield Street estimates the sports universe to be a five hundred billion dollar market worldwide, with revenue coming from media rights, ticket sales, licensing, and sponsorships.
Speaker 13: So sports aggregates millions of people in a way that nothing else does. As a Super Bowl at one hundred and twenty six million viewers, it's very few things in America that bring one hundred and twenty six million people together. And then you have people that are passionate like Philadelphia Eagles fan. Though you have big audiences in a world that's fragmenting, that zero in around something that they love and have a passion for. That's what makes sports unique and then being more global, so for all of those reasons. Sports is becoming more and more attractive, and it wasn't that complex or sophisticated twenty years ago. In terms of capital markets.
Speaker 1: It's bigger and broader. But what is it that investors are looking for when they seek to own a piece of the sports pie.
Speaker 5: It really ranges.
Speaker 12: I would say some of our clients who are long term investors in the space have been investing as a private family for generations, and those families have really leaned in, mostly around passion, and we're seeing them look not only to the sport that they may have started with, but look at multiple sports, potentially in the same city or potentially across the world. And we see new investors who are trying to put a toe in the water, and they're doing that through some of the many growing number of private equity and institutional investors.
Speaker 5: Who have exposure to the space.
Speaker 12: Or they're doing it through a minority interest.
Speaker 1: It seems to me that owning a team might be a very different investment from having a minority interest in a team. Are they really different investment propositions?
Speaker 12: They cost a lot more, that's for sure. The average NFL team, for example, when the CBA was signed, was worth one point three billion or something like that. Today, the average team is worth more than nearly one and a half times that value, and so although there's been a lot of growth of billionaires, that's a much smaller list today than it was twenty years ago. And so when individuals are coming together to invest in this space, they're very much doing it in partnership. What they get for that investment very significantly. It could be great seats, good parking, increased engagement with the team, But in many cases it's not control. It's not the ability to direct where the team is going. So there's a very big difference between majority shares and minority shares.
Speaker 1: And it's not just team ownership in whole or in part that provides sports businesses to invest in. A host of ancillary businesses have grown up around teams that can provide attractive investment opportunities, which is at the center of Pine's private equity business.
Speaker 13: There are different ways you can look at sports today. So the traditional has been investing in teams or leagues, which are very safe investments, typically illiquid and the longer holds, but have a certain return threshold. So we've invested in data companies We've invested in webs apps and streamings. I own a company in Amsterdam that lights the pitch and creates a software so we can predict on the pitch or the field whether the moss is going to grow with the conditions are and you know, as the media rights go up and the team valuations. The pitch is the quality of your product and the safety of product.
Speaker 12: I think the revenue landscape and the diversity of revenue has certainly grown over the past several years. You talk to team owners about having the best experience for their clients and their players, and then there's everything around the stadium or the arena. The ability for investors to participate in the revenue in the surrounding area has certainly been important. We have seen a community impact. A lot of the owners with whom we work talk about their investment and their team as a community investment, a civic investment because they are prominent players in the community.
Speaker 1: But given the dramatic expansion and diversification in the sports business, is there a danger of dilution? Typically when I think about value, I think about supply and demand. But it seems like they're is an unending new supply of sports, How can it be that the value keeps going up when there's more and more supply.
Speaker 13: People are thirsting for great storylines, right, And of course there are sports Formula One think about UFC didn't exist almost twenty years ago. Look how popular that is today. So there are sports that can break in in ways that nobody have an envisioned. And of course women's sports as attraction today that it's never had before.
Speaker 1: Is expansion your enemy as an investor?
Speaker 14: I think expansion is your enemy as an investor, but it's really more your opportunity. And that's because every time you expand, you light up fandom in a new market. Was Las Vegas a big hockey market before the Golden Knights?
Speaker 5: Probably not.
Speaker 14: Is Las Vegas or Nashville now a pretty enthusiastic hockey market.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 14: If you look at the historical returns in sports, they've been surprisingly good. And some of that's been driven by scarcity, but not necessarily scarcity of franchises because all the leagues have expanded through this, but just a scarcity of other forms of content that are as engaging and energizing to such large fan bases. A fan is the value and if you come in and you're not investing in a way that's going to grow the value proposition for the fan, and that can be through upgrading the venue, it can be allowing the team to be more competitive.
Speaker 1: Sports competes with every other investment opportunity, and its status as an alternative investment doesn't stop it from keeping up with the main asset classes. Sports franchise valuations have outpaced the S and P five hundreds returns, especially in the past decade, but sport is a very different beast in a very different jungle. As we look at sports as an asset class, how does it differ from other alternative asset investing.
Speaker 14: Nobody's ever asked me that. It's a great question. I think one thing that's really different about sports as an asset class versus other forms of alternatives is the multiple layers of partnership. So when you invest in a sports franchise in the US, you have a partner who's going to be the control owner, and that's a person who has needs and ambitions that you're trying to support. You also exist within the framework of a league that has very particular rules and has its objectives and its goals. And then beyond that, and most importantly, you have this universe of fans and they care passionately about their team, and they are stakeholders in that equation, just the way the league and the owner is, and there is that implicit compact that if you're coming in, you're going to make this better for them as well as for the league and the owners. And it interesting to be in a dynamic where you have those multiple layers of stakeholders and you're trying to deliver value as an investor for all levels of that, and that feels pretty different from other forms of alternative investment. It's pretty satisfying when you get it right. But there's something special about investing in something that you can watch every Sunday, that you can come together with your family and sort of share what you're trying to do. I mean, it was pretty nice to be able to have that day where, you know, my son sort of said, what do you do? And I sort of could point to, you know, what we do together on a Sunday. The Super Bowl this year was held in a venue that just had an almost six hundred million dollar upgrade to make for a better fan experience also help it deal with things like modern demands for a stadium around climate change. That's not a costless proposition. You've got to invest to do that, and in some cases this can be billions of dollars.
Speaker 8: So far.
Speaker 14: Stadium, you know in Los Angeles was a multi billion dollar project. And as you start to think about this going from the actual stadium to the area around the stadium and really creating a neighborhood around the stadium, you know, the capital demand is just increasing, but so too is the opportunity to profit from it.
Speaker 1: Alternative investing may be different when it's not your sports team. To what extent are your investors we are looking for psychic benefits in addition to monetary benefits.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's an interesting part of the equation, right, So there is a joy element to the return that you can't necessarily quantify, and what we ask our clients to do is not just focus on the joy part of the return, but to think about the overall picture. And for some clients that joy component is going to.
Speaker 5: Be at a higher higher on the.
Speaker 12: List of things that are important in the return and for others. For institutional investors, it's on the list. And so making sure that we're helping our clients think through how to set return expectations for themselves in terms of liquidity, etc. Is something that we feel is our opportunity to do to help them navigate the space. Alternatives in general are an area of significant interest for our clients, and the type of exposure that they're interested in is quite broad, and so this is only a piece of that for most of our clients. For some they really want to lean in and look at this as a primier investment.
Speaker 1: Faith based activist investing told through the eyes of Robbie Starbuck, who has put American corporations on the defense over their DEI policies, and why he says he is doing the Lord's will. That's next on Wall Street Week. This is a story about putting your money where your faith is, something that Americans have been doing since colonial days, but that recently has become a powerful tool for activist shareholders.
Speaker 15: The greatest savior beyond Jesus, in my view of the human race, has been capitalism.
Speaker 5: Nothing has saved lives the way capitalism.
Speaker 16: Has for faith investors' investment decisions and shareholder advocacy is religious practice.
Speaker 17: The Bible is our core tenet that we're seeking to try to hew closely to.
Speaker 1: There is a long history in the United States of investors merging their religious beliefs with their personal wealth.
Speaker 16: This is a movement inspired by faith.
Speaker 1: As Amelia Miazad, acting Professor at UC Davis School of Law, laid out in a New Law Review article.
Speaker 16: Faith based investing has a very long history in the United States. It dates back to the seventeenth century. Some early examples include the Quakers, who screened out what was known as sinstocks from their investment so for example, the slave trade, alcohol, what not to invest in, what to screen out with religious beliefs, and the beliefs were rooted in biblical scripture. During the Civil Rights movement, faith investors began to use their voice as shareholders through the shareholder proposal process. Some of the very earliest social shareholder proposals on issues ranging from apartheid to civil rights, to inclusion to climate risk before it was called climate risk. These things happened in late nineteen sixties and early nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: More recently, faith based investing has grown past issues like civil rights, apartheid, and the Vietnam War. Some funds have embraced so called so responsible investing and the well known Environmental, Social and governance or ESG investing. And as the issues have grown, so have the total assets in faith friendly funds, up by some ninety billion dollars over the last twenty five years, with the pace of growth picking up even more between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: We help those that serve the Lord.
Speaker 17: We want to make sure that we're helping people to start well, stay well, and finish well.
Speaker 1: Brandon Pizzuro is the president of Guidestone, a faith based investment firm tracing its roots back to nineteen eighteen when it was started to support retired Southern Baptist ministers and their families. Today it manages over twenty four billion dollars in assets.
Speaker 5: So we leave out five key areas.
Speaker 17: That's abortion, alcohol, tobacco, sexual morality, and gambling. But there's also other areas such as predatory lending, THHC or cannabis production, even private prisons. So we're screening out several key areas verticals that we see that are antithetic to our moral and ethical posturing. But you're really only screening out a couple of percentage points out of some of the major indices the Bloombergaggregate Bond Index or even the SMP five hundred.
Speaker 1: Are you growing in the number and the size of the investments you have.
Speaker 17: We're certainly growing. It's been a slow burn. I think that's for all of us. In the faith based investing ecosystem, there continues to be growth. We believe the ecosystem for liquid security is in a faith aligned manner or about one hundred billion dollars. Our mutual fund complex is about twenty billion of that, but there certainly can be more than multiples of that two to three times, but some of the most current estimates are around one hundred billion dollar mark. We're not activists. We do engage in corporate engagement, certainly on the margin. We'd like to have our voice heard where we can, but we're not going after companies, so to speak. That's not the way in which we are seeking to have change.
Speaker 15: I'm not arguing that corporations should never do anything good for their community. What I'm arguing is they should engage in ways they're not divisive. But about those so called faith based investors who embrace DEI, I think that it's based on false doctrine, and you know, Christians would call it heresy. In many ways, we are now three for three taking down will companies enforcing changes.
Speaker 1: Robbie Starbuck is every bit the activists that Bizzurro says he is not. He's made big news by pushing companies to abandon their diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, and he's had more than his share of success.
Speaker 4: I push against DEI has spilled into corporate America, while the legal assault and diversity initiatives has actually gathered some steam.
Speaker 18: McDonald is no longer setting aspirational representational goals. The company is retiring its DEI pledge and its supply chain and renaming its diversity team as a Global Inclusion team.
Speaker 9: Walmart is reversing course on diversity equity and inclusion initiatives, joining a growing list of businesses retreating on DEI programs targeted by conservative activists.
Speaker 15: I've had these conversations with CEOs at major companies where they've asked, Okay, if we're getting rid of all these things, what are things you do think are non divisive? And I'll give them a list of things that I don't see as devices that I think everybody could broadly accept as good. Like look at JP Morgan, they spent thirty billion dollars on racial equas and it's a very broad term, but the way that they spent that money, in my view, is terribly irresponsible and it didn't do a service to the shareholders. It's like DEI in theory versus DEI in reality. I'm the one holding up a mirror of what it actually is in reality, because in theory, a lot of people really like the theory because it made them feel good.
Speaker 5: It's like warm, fuzzy words.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 16: There's been a surge of shareholder proposals by Christians who believe that company should not embrace DEI and should not embrace pride parades, for example. This is a relatively new phenomenon, and there is a lot of ideological diversity even within the Christian investor community in the United States. The Christian investor community cannot be summarized on a bumper sticker.
Speaker 1: How did you first get started in Call it faith based investing, call it faith based activism? What got you into this?
Speaker 15: We think about our values, so it's not even necessarily we start from the top line of Hey, we need this to be Christian investing. Right, It's like what are our values where do they align? And I think that's something a lot of investors do. So when investors from the outside look at it, if they're not familiar with faith based investing, they are familiar with values based investing because a lot of investors do it.
Speaker 1: What is your ultimate goal? I mean part of it is the values of you and your family, your wife. Is it to sleep better at night and feel better that you're right with God? Or is it to change the behavior of the corporation?
Speaker 15: Well, I would say I have fundamentally two different ones. So from a faith based perspective, it's obviously my wife and I want to sleep all night. Know we're not investing in something that is diametrically opposed to our faith. Secondary goal for me, just as somebody who wants to see America win, is I want to see corporations get out of the business of divisive everything.
Speaker 5: So if something you're.
Speaker 15: Doing is going to be extremely divisive in the marketplace and it's going to divide your employees divide your consumers, I think it's bad business. And I think that a lot of the corporate world lost side of that, because ultimately my thesis is many corporate executives lost side of who their customer actually is. And so if you're embracing policies that are going to divide people, your business is going to suffer in the long run. On the side of say the DEI and Well policy, I've been very vocal because my desire there is to conform the companies to my values, because at the end of the day, I know, if they fully conform to my values, you're going to divide this other group of people when it's going to be incredibly unfair to them. So I'm not advocating for a total theocracy here in corporate America. It's more so I don't want to invest in companies that are going to diametrically oppose everything I believe in in such a visceral way that I would feel I'm doing it as service not just to my country but to my faith by investing in them.
Speaker 1: It raises a really fundamental question for me. At least, there are other face based investing outfits, investment firms things like that who have a very different view on diversity, equity inclusion. They're all for it, yeah, you're all against it, and they believe what they're doing is scriptural as well, so is one right and the other wrong.
Speaker 15: You know, there'll be people who are mad at me for this, but that's okay, that's not a new thing for me. It's you know, they believe in something that I would call comfortable christian which is one where you want to attract the largest number of people, but it's based off false doctrine. And so the idea for them is that they'll take a cherry picked line and say this line means that we need to behave this way.
Speaker 5: There is nothing in.
Speaker 15: The Bible that says we should you know, encapsulate our corporate structure around the idea that racism is okay. I don't think racism is ever okay and DEI. Ultimately, when you break it down, it does not mean that you love diversity.
Speaker 5: It doesn't mean that.
Speaker 15: You love inclusion, because if you look on the very top line just rational thinking, you immediately find that they're actually very much not inclusive of let's say Christians.
Speaker 1: No one should question the sincerity of anyone's faith, but how far does it go? Are faith based investors willing to give up returns for their true beliefs? Coming to investments and value based Christian based religious based investment. Are you willing to leave money on the table?
Speaker 15: Yes, that hasn't been the case, to be perfectly honest with you, but I am willing to one hundred percent because I look at it this way. I could die with a pot of money that's bigger, or I could die on my deathbed one day with my kids able to look at me and know that their dad had integrity, always lived by what he said.
Speaker 17: He was going to live by. We do have investment objectives. We have to be adherent to indexes and benchmarks that are well recognized. We have to compete versus the broad group of peers that compete in a similar asset class space. So while we might be willing to so called take a hit in some areas, I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as that.
Speaker 5: I think that we still have to have this.
Speaker 17: Values alignment as well as the return objective that are coherent with each other.
Speaker 15: At the end of the day, the thing that matters the most is that integrity, and so you've got to stick to what you've believe in even if it hurts.
Speaker 1: That does it for us On Wall Street Week, I'm David Weston. Join us next week for more stories of capitalism,