Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Car Stories with Some King and Amelia Hartford. Today we have a very special guest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get to share the man behind the myth, his myth to the madness if you will.
Speaker 1: And he's not afraid to really open up. We talked about physical, mental health, his business, how he's come to where he is today, where he started, where he hopes to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just a great ambassador for the car community. The way he keeps, you know, the enthusiasm for the content that he makes and why he does what he does. Was just a very inspirational conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's clear that he loves what he does. Without further ado, James Pumphrey.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting to meet somebody in person, James, because like your persona on screen, Oh yeah, is like so big, then when you meet in person.
Speaker 3: You're downright quiet, you are. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I always say, like when we have new hosts, I'm like, be one hundred and twenty percent of your personality, and so like I think I'm generally one twenty to one hundred and fifty percent of myself on camera, but then like in real life, like I always tell people if I acted like that, all the time. I wouldn't have any friends that would be the most annoying person who I was just like a.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd just be like impossible to be around. And I also think I'm like a pretty shy person, like in general, you know, like I came up doing comedy, like that's what I moved to La to do, and so like I think being on stage and being in front of the camera just like yelling is like the way that I am personable. Whereas like I'd much rather talk to like three hundred people than one person.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: I don't like parties very much. Same I don't like I like the talking at not so much the interaction.
Speaker 2: It seems like that's common thread with a lot of people from comedy is that their stage persona is so different from their off stage Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think, like, yeah, my on screen persona is like who I want to be, and no one can talk back.
Speaker 3: This is getting a.
Speaker 4: Real deep, real fast it happens, yeah, and so no one can chime in, I'm just talking.
Speaker 1: Do you find it exhausting to socialize?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like what is that like your social battery? I definitely think my social battery gets drained I'm trying to be better about it though, especially now that I'm like older, like I've been doing Donut for almost eight years now, and so like there's like a number of like kids who when they meet me, like that's like something that means something to them. So I'm trying to be more like give them like the experience that they want to like take away and be like, oh, I'm at James from Donut versus like me being like, oh, I'm just like shy and they're like okay, but I'm like fifteen, you know, so it's like it's not it's I have to like overcome my insecurities and and you know, give people what they want.
Speaker 2: I can relate with that because when people meet me, they think that they're going to meet Han and they end up meeting like the grouchy guy. Yeah that's insecure.
Speaker 3: Yeah you lucked down.
Speaker 4: You made your like best known on screen persona like stoic, Like I wish I would have done that, Like looking back, like I'm like, dang, like I wish I would have been.
Speaker 3: Like good looking dude. Staring at stuff is like eating snacks, eat like you really like you picked a good one.
Speaker 2: I mean you'd be surprised how many snacks I get is like gifts from fans. But it's interesting when fans think like you are the person that they see on screen for sure, and at the end of the day, we're just people with like people problems too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I got a lot of problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's something that I relate with you is like, you know, when I was younger, people would see me and they're like, can I get this picture? You know, and you know I would many times I would say no, yeah, because I'm you know, doing my own thing. And then Dwayne Johnson actually shared this with me, you know, like I asked him. I was like, hey, you're way more famous than me, and you've been famous for a long time. How do you deal with like the fans? And he put it in this like really amazing, like zam perspective. He said, you know, there are very few people in this world that it's gifted with the opportunity to make somebody happy just by asking their name, yeah, you know, putting your hand on their shoulder and taking a picture, you know, because it might mean the world for them for that day or that week, or for their life. If you look at it that way, like you know, there is a responsibility and a great opportunity.
Speaker 4: Definitely, That's definitely something I've come around too, because, like I mean, I made no means like super famous, but I'm more famous than I thought it would be, you know, like I get recognized in the store, and it got to a point where I was like annoyed by it. Then like one day I just kind of like opened my eyes and was like, who am I to like be annoyed by this? You know, because those people like are one hundred percent responsible for really my entire life, you know, like my house and my cars and the fact that I get to do what I really like to do with my friends every day, Like that's my job. Yeah, like you said, like making someone happy, like that's like an extension of it. And you know, I really have turned it around and realize like how fortunate I am to be able to like have some kid, you know, make his day by like seeing me at sprouts.
Speaker 2: In the produce section.
Speaker 3: Well, dude, do you like vegetables too? What do you got carrots? Due? Carrots? Dude? For sure?
Speaker 4: I mean I was definitely like uncomfortable with it though, for sure, Like early on.
Speaker 2: You have to learn I think you have to grow into it, yeah, and then find purpose behind it. Yeah, and then it becomes a positive thing opposed to you like running away from it, right.
Speaker 4: And I think it was also like in being like in this situation or whatever, like you welcome criticism a lot, people correcting my videos, and you know, like I put so much into my work and creation is like a very vulnerable process and so like whatever we put out is like a representation of ourselves. And like when somebody who like you don't know, is like, hey, you suck. Like I think early on that really like affected me and I think probably influenced like those feelings of like just like.
Speaker 2: Let me be Yeah, you get older and stop caring what people think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I would really hate it if people stop liking me, you know. That's I think that also contributes to me being cool with it now, is like what if they stop coming up to me, Like then I'm in trouble, you know.
Speaker 2: So, I mean we hear it all the time with the fast movies. You know, they're like those movies suck and oh yeah, you guys suck and you're sucky.
Speaker 3: Actor.
Speaker 1: I had to shift my mindset as well, and like hate comments, hate mail even and a lot of just negativity. It's like, well, you're a comment on my video. I hope you enjoyed the video, hero because you watched it enough to have this opinion.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm sure you don't. I mean, with so many more levels, like being a woman in this industry, you sure you're recognizing the fact that you're a woman or that you.
Speaker 3: Either way.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people have some audacity, but they're the ones who watched the videos.
Speaker 2: Actually, Yeah, stepping back now, I admire these people that give negative criticism because damn, like first you have the time to do that, and then you have the energy to spew out that hate because that's not easy, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean sometimes we get like legit good criticism that's like not necessarily positive, and like we'll take it to heart and like kind of we've shifted like last year around like the end of last year beginning of this year, we kind of like got too far into like YouTube and our fans like let us know what's that mean to you to be so like we're playing like the YouTube game in addition to like doing what we want, like we rarely work on our own cars. That's like just one way to do it, is like you build cars and like people like watch it or whatever. But then like we play like the YouTube game, you know, and like we think of like what's going to perform well on YouTube almost before like or at the same time as like what's valuable as like a car thing that's like a very delicate rope to walk, you know, like between being like click baity or being like two niche. Like from the beginning, we've always said, like I want to make car videos that my aunt would watch. You don't have to like cars, but if you do like cars, then like that's like this is your shit, right, And so like at one point, I think, like last summer we hit just not even car.
Speaker 3: Like I think the video.
Speaker 4: That we all kind of agree was like us jumping the shark, was we filled an engine with blood. Yeah, not a lot of people did, but like I still think we could have pulled it off.
Speaker 3: We could have made a good video about it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we like went to the butcher bought a bunch of pigs blood and we were like, well, like blood is just oil for your body, and so like we put like a bunch of stuff in an engine and then like finally.
Speaker 1: You put blood in that see if it would run.
Speaker 4: Blood and an engine to see if would run, and like we were shooting it and we were like, this is not good.
Speaker 3: This is gross.
Speaker 4: Like I think Pete is gonna shut us down, like it's stunk, Like blood is gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, so like our audience was like, what are you guys doing and we're like, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: So we kind of like refocused because like, yeah, everything has to be actual car and.
Speaker 1: Not if you're in the business to get views on YouTube, it's certainly become more of a stunt based platform than it has.
Speaker 4: Wrenching we're still making videos around the same time. Yeah, right, And like back then, like Nicetat was like god of YouTube, but yeah, it was like very lifestyle, very like oh the this is a way to like get a more intimate look at like these people that I admire, and you know, like yeah, a lot more vloggy stuff, a lot more video essays, which is like what we started doing, and now like it is like big stunt, big title influenced stuff.
Speaker 2: I've always been curious about, first your origin story, Like I don't know if the listening audience knows, like how did you become the persona that you are or the person that you are? Because first, you know what I love about you, James is when I watch the videos, I use this like you know, analogy. Your headlights are on full, like you know, they're like on high beam, And anytime I have a question about anything carbulated, I go straight to you because you make it so fun. Thank you, and you know you shared with us briefly that you know you started in comedy. But how did this journey start? Like like where did it begin?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, like I as a kid, I like two things. I liked comedies and cars. Like I remember like a Z thirty two three hundred DX I saw at the airport, like my parents were divorced and my dad was taking me to the airport to go back to my mom's house and I saw three hundred DX.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh no, I like these.
Speaker 4: Similarly, in fourth grade, I saw Billy Madison and like my dad loved like comedy and stuff. But like Adam Sandler was like the first dude who me and my friends like got And I think that's very like a very similar parallel to like, oh I liked imports, and I liked Japanese cars and like European cars, where like my dad liked muscle cars and like old British cars. So like it was kind of at the same time, these two things that like were mine and like the first time I had taste that was different than what was just fed to me. Those two things are just like the main constant through my life. So like I've always had a dumb car, and being a comedian has always been like my dream. So when I was nineteen, I moved to Los Angeles from Louisville, Kentucky, and say Louisville. I do, because I'm not like I grew up all over the Southeast but landed in Louisville.
Speaker 3: I went to high school there, so that's why I.
Speaker 4: Say I'm from there, but yeah, Louisville, it's also acceptable.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I moved here from Louisville.
Speaker 4: And this theater called Upraad Citizens Brigade was just opening their La branch and I just got in really early and like luckily got like a bunch of stage time and was able to work with like a bunch of people that I had seen in movies.
Speaker 2: Like an improv group.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so like I did a lot of improv, a lot of improv and then sketch comedy. So like I had a number of sketch groups.
Speaker 3: I had a group called the Midnight Show.
Speaker 4: It was a monthly show and we all like lived in this big mansion on Wilton in Hollywood together and we would like argue about comedy like as a science, like there's like rules that make things funny, right, and like that's like really how we approached it, and like what just the nerdiest stuff like listening to like National Lampoon Radio Hour, or like watching like scenes from movies and like pausing them and being like all right, so what's the game in this scene? Really just like dissecting really making comedy not fun, but we'd like, yeah, getting fistfights or what's funny? And did some movie stuff? Was on some TV shows?
Speaker 1: Was this all through people you met at UCB? Was this through an agent? How did you get these opportunities early on? I?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got like representation pretty early when I was younger. Yeah, And like I was doing Hollywood pretty hard, So I was like going auditions a whole lot, and like I was just like so tired.
Speaker 3: Of doing it. Three or four years in a row.
Speaker 4: I was like tested multiple times for like a sitcom during pilot season, you guys know, but if you don't for like two months in the spring they cast all the new TV shows, and so like I would be going to like eleven auditions a week, and so like that's like eleven job interviews that I'm not getting. But every single one of those job interviews could potentially make me a millionaire, you know, if like a show gets picked up. I remember my manager telling me, he's like, if you get in syndication, then that's fucking You'll have like fifteen million dollars. And I was like, yo, I don't have any dollars. So I get just like this constant up and down. So like when I started with Donut, like this guy Ben Conrad who directed a lot of the Jim Connas, I just wanted to be around him, and I was like done being on camera. And I thought like, oh, I'll just like shadow Ben. He can mentor me, and I'll be a director and I'll just like direct commercials and like that'll be my job. And kind of did that for a year. And my boss at the time at Donnut was like, make one video with you in it where you tell the history of a car, any car, just do it and put it out and like I was like all right, So like I did.
Speaker 3: And that was the first episode of Up to.
Speaker 4: Speed and it got like three million views on Facebook in like twenty four hours. And he was like, all right, cool, you gotta do that every week. And that was seven years ago. So in some form or fashion, been doing that ever since.
Speaker 2: So is the acting hat just kind of hung up?
Speaker 4: It's weird, Like I was totally like done, but like I feel like this year, like, oh, I don't know what I want to do, you know, Like I feel like maybe there's some sort of next chapter coming up.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It'd be a shame for you not to like spread your wings because yeah, you're so funny.
Speaker 3: Dude, Thank you man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You're so talented, because how do you make car information content like so entertaining? Yeah, that's that's that's a gift. I mean, that's that's your superpower. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys have done so well, I would say, leading the carnistry. Can I say that?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're not technically the I think we're like the fifth biggest automotive YouTube channel. But I do think like our other businesses and stuff like all combined, I think we have a pretty big footprint.
Speaker 2: It's really cool to hear your journey because for the listeners out there, it's a testament to how sometimes when you think like you have a certain road that you're following, and then there's a roadblocke, these other doors or these other windows open and that journey that you were initially on actually prepared you for the whole Downut thing.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely I am more aware now than I was then. How fortunate, like the timing of this whole thing was because like these three guys, who were very experienced in all of the stuff that I'm not good at, were just like, hey, we're starting this company. You and Jesse our chief creative officer, and like my main like creative partners, just like you can do whatever you want creatively, and so like we were just given like all this space to like fail like a lot, like you know, take a lot of swings and like come up with something that at least works for now consistently. And I think one of the strong things about the Donut team is that, like you know, We're never satisfied, I guess, so, like we're constantly like evolving what it means to be donut. And I think that early like encouragement to do things that might not work continues to be like part.
Speaker 3: Of what we do.
Speaker 1: Does it get scary to try new things because it's not very forgiving on YouTube. If you put something out that flops, you may not be promoted again for the next post.
Speaker 4: Yeah, YouTube right now at least rewards consistency. I've always like really enjoyed being creative within confined, like whether it's like budget or like just like resources or like rules or like I think that's why, like the way that I approached was like, all right, there's like all these rules, you know, like you set up a reality. All right, we're all on the same page. Like the audience knows that this is the reality. Then you break the reality. That's the joke, and so like then you return back to the reality and like we kind of catch them off guard, break that same joke again. That's the second be And like I always like kind of liked rules.
Speaker 2: Gotta know the rules to break them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, I'm a big, big proponent of knowing the rules and they break them. That's probably my my ethos of being a creator for sure.
Speaker 2: Now, is there a method to the madness of how you approach your content? Because you're literally a Wikipedia of knowledge? I go, does this guy know all of this information beforehand? Or do you go and study up on.
Speaker 4: It from the very beginning? Like writers have been a big part of Donut, So everything's like super written, Like we have punch up sessions, like not so much anymore, but like all those early videos. So yeah, it's like a lot of research, you know, and like making sure we get it right because we've definitely got it wrong before, and like that's the worst, Like that's when they come for your throat, especially when we're doing up to Speed the car history show. We'd like, the worst thing we could possibly do is if I'm like talking about like a fourth gen something and like an editor shows like the wrong generation car and just like lit up, just like I was like, I don't know, I haven't even seen that edit. But yeah, but like a lot of research and then a lot of care put into like crafting jokes and stuff.
Speaker 2: You realize listening to that is that it doesn't just come easy, Like there has to be like a method and a process, yeah, and work behind it. Nobody ever sees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that process, like I feel like it's constantly evolving for us, Like there is a method, but like that method is constantly changing, and like as soon as we feel like we know what we're doing, it's old and so like we have to like start over. And that is the aspect of the team that I'm most proud of, is that we're willing to just be like, what we're doing isn't working anymore, Guys, Like we're done. You know, we're starting over, always evolving, always changing it like never, it's never quite right, We're always tweaking it.
Speaker 2: That says a lot about your team because first being able to take criticism and listen to it, and that allowing your ego to take over, because I mean in Hollywood, you know, man, it's like people surround themselves with yes man, and I see you know colleagues that have so much potential, but somehow their ego gets in the way and they think there's shit, doesn't stinc But you know, art is subjective, and if you are not constantly evolving and growing, I think as a human being, you're not accessible to the viewer too. That's why it's every time I watch you, it's like you're accessible, you know, like it feels like it's a friend in my living room talking about their passion. And that's something that I search for, you know, as I get older, it's like, how do you keep passionate about something when you've done it for like close to a decade already.
Speaker 3: I just thinking.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's probably not healthy, but it's like just never thinking it's good. And like as I get older, I'm like getting better at being like okay, like let's celebrate our wins. And I think like just as a team, we are so like heads down all the time. I think we have kind of missed a lot of like milestones and not given them like the proper celebration or something. It's like we're actually like actively trying to be better at that. I get overwhelmed by my job a lot, not a lot, but like enough. But at the end of the day, if I look at it, I really do feel so fortunate that I'm able to do this, Like it's literally what I wanted to do, like when I was nine years old, Like I like this thing, and I like this thing. How can I make jokes about cars and the fact that I get to do that, like if I'm in like contract negotiations or like I have like a crazy shoe schedule, or frustrated with you know, somebody I'm like working with or whatever, Like if I really like look at it, like I'll look at it like it's like I get to do exactly what I wanted to do. And if I ever allow myself to not be stoked about it, I sort of like someone that either call me out on it or I'll realize it myself and be like, dude, like come on man, because it could all go away, you know, Like it's like we were talking about like people coming up to us or something. It's like, well, I would really hate it if nobody did, or like I'd really hate it if like I didn't have three videos to shoot this week, Like that would suck.
Speaker 3: Like this is the best.
Speaker 2: What a healthy perspective? Yeah, yeah, that's great. Perspective's great to share with people out there.
Speaker 1: Do you self reflect a lot? Are you an overthinker?
Speaker 3: Uh? I do.
Speaker 4: I'm like very I take care of my mental health very actively in these days. So yeah, I like meditate, practice gratitude.
Speaker 1: What made you realize you wanted to put attention on your mental health.
Speaker 4: I went crazy or I was going crazy in what sense? Uh, just a lot of senses.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I've chosen a pretty extreme path, like moving here when I was so young, and choosing this sort of like make or break career and then jumping into donut and like everything that came with that.
Speaker 3: Like I think I.
Speaker 4: Like got to the point where I was like allowed to have a normal life and just sort of like one day just realized I was like exhausted, Like I was just so beat up.
Speaker 1: Do you take time off?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 4: And our work schedule, like we're all very conscious of it now, because I think we went really hard as a community. I think like we all were like all right, guys, we need to like do this better. So like our schedu we have like people that make our schedules, and like we're very conscious of burnout now. But there were days like in the beginning, I'd say like twenty eighteen was probably like when we first started like hitting there's like a ninety day stint and like we would just be in the office till midnight just because we loved being there. You know, and like we're like, oh, it's not work because like we love doing it, but it's like it is and you need to like take time.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm like older now, I'm I like doing other things. I'm like, you know, thinking about starting a family, care about my health, had some health scares just like really didn't take care of myself, like from again a mental standpoint, but also like a physical standpoint.
Speaker 1: Like working out, eating healthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like.
Speaker 4: I smoked and like drank a bunch and like did a bunch of drugs when I was younger, which is like fine, just like stop at some point. But yeah, very recently I realized like this is my life. And I feel like I've always like not been present, so like i feel like every accomplishment or everything, I'm like working towards this other thing. And recently I've tried I've realized like, oh, this is the life that I live, Like this is mine now, Like the dream is now, like the dream is no longer like oh I'm gonna be will feral. The dream is like I want to be like a good partner and I want to be like a great like person for my friends, like create with I want to, you know, be a good mentor to people. I want to you know, do all these things and like that's my dream now. So like now my dream is like today, and so everything that I do isn't like looking towards the future, although like it is good to plan towards the future. I think like I'm trying to be more present than I ever was, because I think I spent a lot of my adulthood not being present.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel that. I think that's also YouTube grind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like goals are good, but like the tribes are crazy.
Speaker 2: I totally can relate with that. It took me so many years and maybe I feel like I kind of just figured it out like recently, like in the past year, like living in the moment, you know, and I was like, you know, always in the grind and like you know, and thinking about like ten years down the line, and also never feeling like, you know, I'm worthy enough or I'm good enough. I mean, this one connective tissue that we all three of us have is that you know, like or biological fathers or not here, Like I didn't grow up with my real father, like he left before I was even born. You know what, I mean, and you know, the parents I did grow up with, they kind of split up and stuff. And for me on a personal way, I think that's was like one of the primary motivations for me to like go into becoming an actor, because like I wanted to feel like, you know, I was validated as a human being, Like I wanted to turn into something that I was not, like kind of change like with the world or even the way I saw myself. Do you think that kind of background like led you guys into entertainment at all?
Speaker 3: I mean, I definitely think so.
Speaker 4: I think, like, yeah, being funny or like being loud or being just like that dude is like I was never good at sports or anything.
Speaker 3: So like that was the first thing I was ever.
Speaker 4: Validated in, and like maybe the only thing I was ever validated in as like a kid was like I was even now like I'm less like talented and just more willing to do so I'm just like not embarrassed to do stuff in front of people. And so I think, like, yeah, that was like a skill or a trait that was you know, immediately rewarded as a child and then like consistently rewarded into adulthood and so I was like, all right, I'll just keep doing this, keep doing this, keep doing this. But yeah, and I always wanted like a million jobs. So like I remember my dad saying, you don't want to join the army, you don't want to like be an architect, just be an actor and you can pretend to do whatever you want to do. He said that, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you can pretend to have any job you want.
Speaker 3: I'm like, all right, but yeah, validation for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if it's so much of a validation not consciously, and maybe it's so consciously it could be. I think obviously losing a parent can change your navigation, your direction where you're going. But for me, with acting, it's I'm almost say it was the first thing I would say I wanted to do before even I think I fully knew what it was. I just loved, you know, hanging with my friends, playing pretend, and if I could do that for a living, it's what I wanted to do. But I think they're growing up in a household that wasn't the most stable. I think caused me in my life to psychoanalyze myself, to never feel complacent, to never feel kind of like what you were saying about that hunger of constantly wanting more and not celebrating the small wines. I find that I'm like that in my life, and I can only assume that's because as I didn't have that growing up.
Speaker 2: You know, I can't even do birthdays because I never had birthday parties growing up.
Speaker 1: They're hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So like my wife is, she's like the mother and the sister and the wife that everyone dreams of having, right, And she's always trying to have a birthday party for me and I can't do it. Yeah, you know, and I didn't grow up with that validation. Hey, this is your day you were born. I go, well, who would come to this birthday party?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And see, like I think a lot of people will come for the free food. Yeah, it's it's it's interesting how like our childhood molds like how we see ourselves in the world. I mean, talking to you, this is amazing because you know, I was always so looking forward to like sitting down with you in person, because again, this light that you radiate through, you know, the content that you make. I was like, there has to be like some recipe for this. There has to be like a method to this madness, and you know, going back to like how you know you practice in meditation and gratitude, Like, well, what is your approach to that?
Speaker 3: Where'd you learn that meditate?
Speaker 4: I don't do this so much anymore, as much as I should, but I really like breath work a whole lot.
Speaker 3: I pray.
Speaker 4: I'm not like religious necessarily, but I do make an effort to pray. I make lists when I'm at my best. I do this stuff, but you know, its slips, and then I try more and more now to be like physically active. That was never like a thing that like I made like an effort to do. But I think like one day I was like, dude, I'm getting old and when you're old old you can't put on muscle, and so like I'm like, all right, I gotta like beef up where my kids are gonna be able to beat me up. And so like now I'm like actively trying to be like more active and stuff.
Speaker 1: What made you realize I mean subjective saying someone's old, But what made you feel that way? Uh?
Speaker 3: Oh, I started getting gray in my beard.
Speaker 4: Well, like I said, I moved like I moved here when I was young, and so like I've always been the youngest like of all my friends, Like I've always been like the youngest person. And then one day I kind of like looked around donut I was like, I'm older than everybody, and like I went to the streams recently and I was like, yo, I'm like old for my job. Like I'm like one of the older people like in my industry. Like I'm like and I've been doing this like for almost a decade, like I've been on YouTube and you too, but like for almost ten years. Like that's gnarly, dude, and so like, yeah, I just I think I've always identified as younger. So I think maybe I had some sort of Peter Pan complex. And then so like I skipped that like okay, I'm getting old. So like now all of a sudden, I'm just like, oh dude, I'm.
Speaker 1: Here, Like I'm like life happens fast.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, like whether it's like because I'm like old or whatever, like I really do want to do things, you know, like I want to have kids.
Speaker 3: I'm getting married. I'm very excited.
Speaker 4: And so like, you know, I can't ask someone to marry me without like being like.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's going to be for a while.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like you want to marry me for ten years and then I'll die, and it's like I'm marry me and I'll do it, Like I have to like promise her that like it's going to be for as long as I can like possibly make it. I'm gonna put in all the effort to make this as long of a promise as it can be.
Speaker 1: As you get older, do you find yourself focusing also on what legacy you're leaving behind.
Speaker 4: I have like thought about my legacy recently, and so like I'm definitely like not done evolving. I would like to include stuff outside of YouTube, which is why I'm so excited about like the other stuff. Like I think I enjoy like our podcast the most past gast podcast wherever you get your podcasts, and then recently are like apparel Line has been like a real a real joy for me to like do and like work with our lead designer student and Depaz and then Tim Moore are like head of product is like that's that's been like really fun.
Speaker 3: We're in zoomies now, which is cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, congratulations on that.
Speaker 2: What's your legacy that you want to leave behind?
Speaker 1: Really, I'm still trying to figure that out. It has been a thought of mine more so lately about what I'm leaving behind, which I think is natural, you know, as you get older. I like to believe I've helped maybe open up people's eyes to women representation in the space, But I don't want to take sole credit for that, because there's so many incredible women in this industry who helped to make it what it is today. So I don't know. I think as I lean more into the mental health space, having just signed on the board of a nonprofit called Alive and well, I think just trying to give back and help as many people on this earth while I'm here. I mean, I can't really think of much else that I really want to leave behind aside helping other people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you've definitely, you know, as a woman in our industry, like some thing that we can do, almost like accidentally, is give someone something that they want to emulate, you know, so like it's so much easier for someone to do it if it's already been done, because like like you can be like, oh, like I really like Amelia Hartford. I'm going to make a channel like hers, and when it's like still on that person's like style and like their whole like vibe and like not ripping you off at all, but just like seeing that it worked and like being a fan of something. Yeah, Like when someone new starts at donut, like I'm like, well, who do you like? Like what do you like to watch? That's like the jumping off point from like what they're going to make. But by just existing and like putting stuff out, I think, yeah, you are one hundred percent influencing what is to come.
Speaker 1: You know, thank you. I don't like taking that much credit, but influencing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also beautiful what Amelia represents, you know, even self reflection. To be able to have someone to understand what that's about and like constantly like yourself to echo what you said earlier. Is to never be complacent to who you are and to evolve into something better.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: That's something that I noticed about her, and that is a trait that separates her from other people that are making content. And because the camera doesn't lie, you know, it's like you know, I mean you've done enough like you know, film projects where you see someone and you go, wow, there's something radiating from them, and then you meet them and you go, yeah, they're kind of playing a version of themselves too, you know, like it's acting, but without that, the camera will see the truth.
Speaker 4: You can tell if there's joy behind a performance, and you can tell if there's not a note. I'm given a number of times to like a lot of our guys is like, yo, dude, I could tell you were not having any fun while you're making that video, and you know, usually it's like what can we do to make you have more fun? Like why aren't you having fun doing this? Because at the end of the day, we're goofing around and like driving cool cars, and it's awesome that we get to do this.
Speaker 2: And you know, because you started, you know, as an actor. You know, I think prior to social media and YouTube, you know, there was a legitimate excuse that these gates to the studios were closed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you guys are a testament to like, you know, there is another road that you can you know, and the cadence even with like Asian American kids today that are you know, content makers, is way different from my generation because we were beholden by the caykeepers. First, you had to get an agent, right, and if an agent didn't like sign you, you had no way of getting, you know, an audition, and if you don't get an audition, you're never going to get a job. You can't get in the Union. It's just the whole domino effect of these barriers, right. And when I see you know, Asian American kids today that have like massive viewership on YouTube or social media, their walk is different, you know, because they're I don't need shit that don't fucking studio to tell me, like I'm good enough, Like I'll just make my own videos, right, and and the self expression right. And with technology today, it's like there really is no excuse today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean I saw a showed a Comedy Central like ten years ago and like worked on it for like two and a half years, and like it we never shot anything, just like notes and like rewrites and like all this stuff. It's like two and a half years, you know. I think having had experience with traditional media and then coming into YouTube with like the support that I had, Like I was just blown away by like what I was allowed to do and like how quickly I could turn stuff.
Speaker 2: Over no excuses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have distribution at your fingertips.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Do you see yourself still on YouTube in five to ten years? Where do you see your career going or where would you like it to be.
Speaker 4: I have no idea what I'm going to do in five to ten years. I mean, I'm always going to do something like what I'm doing now more and more. I like sort of fostering creativity and other people. I think that's like something that I've always like had, but like I've never known how to do anything before. But so now that I kind of know what I'm doing, I really do enjoy sharing that with other people. So I think that's going to be a thing that grows more. I'm more interested in business than I ever have been. Yeah, hopefully I'll be involved in Donut. In five years. I think I'll be involved with Donut in some capacity. Just like more and more stuff, I think.
Speaker 2: But I love what that's rooted in your answers, that you want to be able to share and give back and foster creativity to like other folks.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, that comes from being like a fan, like I like stuff, and you know, like I like being a part of it, and I like the process a whole lot, and you know, I make a certain type of thing, but other people make stuff that like I would never think of making, you know, so like if I can do anything to like help that, then it's really like enjoyable to be allowed to be a part of that, you know, Like if I'm able to like give someone some shortcut or like let them save some time because they don't have to figure it out in the way that I did, Like the trade off is like, oh, you're really good, and I get to be like kind of involved in your thing too, So it's like really enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, I would love to ask if you were to talk to a nineteen year old you today, what advice would you give yourself.
Speaker 4: It's okay to get a regular job, go bus tables or something. Being broke doesn't legitimize you, just kind of like also start a YouTube channel and keep that going.
Speaker 3: That's what I would do for sure.
Speaker 1: What about people who want to get into what you're doing today? Do you think it's too late to start a YouTube?
Speaker 3: No? No, YouTube's not going anywhere. I think YouTube is going to continue to evolve.
Speaker 4: I guess, Like, so if someone wants to do what I want to do, surround yourself with people who can do things that you can't. I'm good at some stuff, but like when you combine me with like three or four other dudes, like we're fucking nuts. Like we're like really good, So you can do it alone. But like personally, I'm always been like a collaborative creator. And whether that's like you gotta share a channel or just like being around people that like have are doing like kind of the same thing. Like I think, like try and find community, but also find people that like are better than you that you can look up to. And if you like rip three people off and like make your own thing, then that's not ripping them off. That's having tastes. So don't be afraid to like emulate your heroes. Have heroes. That's my advice. Have heroes and emulate them.
Speaker 2: That's great advice.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got to have people around you that are smarter than you. You're the smartest person in the room. There's a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, I would agree with that.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being so open and candid. I feel like sure, you know, like I got to know the man behind the myths, and you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate you. Guys really got it out of me.
Speaker 1: Now this is great. I appreciate you opening up.
Speaker 2: I mean I have, I have, like so much more respect for you after this conversation.
Speaker 3: You know, thank you. Yeah, respect for you too, man.
Speaker 2: Thanks brother, thank you,