Speaker 1: Ring, Rang, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring Ring.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I said six. Well, that is so messed up of me.
Speaker 1: On the night of my son's wedding on the night before the opening ceremony of the Paris Olympics in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Four, I've completely blown it. I said six rings when this is famously two guys, five rings.
Speaker 1: Let's take it again, Yeah, let's take it again.
Speaker 2: Reddy ring Ring Ring Ring Lang. Way, I have the yips.
Speaker 1: You've got the yips. But I think maybe you are just just answer the question odds or evens?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh Evans. I think I'm even.
Speaker 1: Said, there you go, and are you odds? You know, in my past I would have said evans, but in my maturity, I would say odds. And I think you're an evens guy. And so that's why you said it six times in five.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have one number to two down my body and it is an even number, even number, So you know what I mean. I feel like I feel like I am very attracted to things that divide.
Speaker 1: Cleanly, and I like something that has a center.
Speaker 2: You love mess, I love mess. You love it's challengers coded, I mean, yeah, it's challengers coded one two, three you, Brittany, not only you and me. Honestly, you know who's in my camp fiance famous even numbered queen for for what else? Eight eight? Because she ate that? Well, I guess, I guess, yes, exactly, that's exactly how it meant it.
Speaker 1: What did you mean?
Speaker 2: Well, remember at the end of Get My Body, she goes nine four eight one b DA, And I was going to sort of use that as an example, but there's actually equal part even and odd numbers in that, so it would not be the case.
Speaker 1: So then that, no, it does help your case because she didn't even number of both. Oh wow, interesting, See this is what I'm saying. You think about things from a way that would suggest you have a greater mind than the rest of a beautiful mind, even like Russell Crowe. Oh, let's hope not because that man was troubled.
Speaker 2: Are you doing the soundtrack of a beautiful mind?
Speaker 1: And it's really ingrained? Because you know, what was my first starring role? What my sister in the eighth grade made a film quote unquote from her clack. I don't know she was, she was just she made. She made She was a filmmaker. She wrote a film that was kind of like a beautiful Mind meets the miracle Worker.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: But it was called an Unbeautiful Mind, and I played a very troubled child. And there was like an Anne Bancroft kind of like person who came in played by Rachel Pontius, one of my sister's friends. Uh huh. And it was just this whole like there was a scene where I ate cereal without a spoon.
Speaker 2: That's so troubled.
Speaker 1: It was very It was a very tough role.
Speaker 2: You clearly were disturbed. Did you throw yourself into it? Were you method? Were you being a rascal? I was?
Speaker 1: I mean that that was a whole day shoot. And I really I didn't know what first team second team was, like, I really did. I did not even really know what you were doing. I mean, you never know how to perform your show up in either it's like crackling or it's not. And it sounds like your performance was crackling. And we clearly know that you would go on to develop your talent so that audiences worldwide could share in it. And girl, I'm sorry, are you talking about your own trajectory, because I think you've done exactly the same.
Speaker 2: I don't like this thing or I don't. It's not that I don't like it. I don't want you to feel the need to, but I feel I don't like this is your moment. I don't feel.
Speaker 1: Anything except the equivalent sentiment. You know how I feel about you and your work and the way you show up and show out every day. You are one of the great talents.
Speaker 2: Thank you for saying this. It moves me. I want to know. So you are someone who did a lot of home videos as a kid. You yang, you got you got to it?
Speaker 1: Not really? Well, God, yeah, my away message on aim for a little bit after I had like developed a sort of filmography as it were, at school, I announced to be a way message that I was working on a film called Varsity Chicks that was going to be about cheerleaders, and I like designed the fonts and like, I like, I like really graphic design.
Speaker 2: This this is this is a huge tip to what you would become.
Speaker 1: Well, it was like, it's so my thing now my bag now, which is to publicize and announce the project that I'm doing and then never follow through on it.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the last time that that happened with you. I think that you're now that's where you again, you're casting aspersion on this narrative when they're be any. Every time we've announced something, it has come to fruish. We've never canceled the show, I.
Speaker 1: Know, but I've like I've canceled like my screenplay ideas.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well that's just private. I mean we all do that, I know.
Speaker 1: Still I feel a little something. I'm like, oh, man, I didn't I didn't do that.
Speaker 2: We can't talk about this, but in terms of the stuff that has materialized, like I wonder, like, do you ever have you rewatched any of the videos that you did as a kid, and do you ever think, wow, my tour?
Speaker 1: No, I have no interest. Oh my god, I have like really put that away.
Speaker 2: There's one video that we did when we were kids. By the way, this is a her getting back to the last episode. I did recreate the entire music video to behind Me Seselies with my cousin Michael. I was the star and he was the director. And yes, I did run through a sprinkler and throw myself in the pool.
Speaker 1: At the end.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, okay, it's true. It's true. The rumors are out there. The like sympathy is a knife, like everyone is trying to get me like it's true. Okay, I'll come out and say it. I did that, you did that, But that is not the one I'm talking about. We did a short film called The Spy You and Michael, Yeah, well, I have to show you. It's what I have to find it it is and Chelsea's in it too, my little sister. But I have a scene where I talk on the phone to someone off screen. I talk on the phone some of the most natural talking on the phone and high intensity and like it was. I watched it. I remember watching it with all my aunts and my Aunta Laine turned to my aunt Laurie and said, he's actually good.
Speaker 1: Ah, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: It was the first time I realized I had something I could have been in twenty four. I wanted to be on the show twenty four so bad. That was what informed the Spy film. I wanted to keep. For Sutherland to get me in a choke cold, throw me up against the wall and scream wherrishy. I wanted that more than and for me to respond, oh, I don't know, and then him like choked me hard and be like eh it Like Mikhael took her, but you'll be too late. And then I take a cyanide pill and die and they cut to their commercial like, dun't dun, doun't dun, dun't dun, and you never see me again.
Speaker 1: Let's start the campaign. That's what I wanted more than anything, and I think part of you still wants it.
Speaker 2: So bad. I want to be a morally compromised character that Kei for Sutherland, screams at and physically intimidates in such a major way.
Speaker 1: But the phone call is giving me like Liam Neeson vibes, maybe Jason Statham like like just really.
Speaker 3: Oh oh wow, hell, yes, yes, got it, thank you, I.
Speaker 2: Just did it. And podcasts are individual medium.
Speaker 1: But that was okay. So now I got three things. It's Liam Neeson, Jason Statham, Sandra owned the Princess Diaries. Got mm hm m hm. The Queen is coming to govis coming.
Speaker 2: She's should have been a nomination.
Speaker 1: Also, I think that what you're describing in the twenty four fantasy for yourself, it reminds me of that one guy who made a meal out of two or three lines in Charlie's Angels, the first movie, the guy who tries to kill Cameron Diaz at the club, at the Soul Training Club. Mm hmmm, and she like hasn't hasn't is choking him with her heel yep, who sent you?
Speaker 2: What? Who? Vivian Wood, bitch?
Speaker 1: And then she like Roundhouse kicks him, but he slayd his lines.
Speaker 2: Killed it. Vivian Wood.
Speaker 1: It spits out class.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what a great film, just the best, the best. I really like talking about these early filming experiences because you almost could say, Bo that these were in terms of our artistic lives. And that's how we bring it back to Paris. And we always bring it back to Paris on this podcast, even if we only stay on Paris at that point for about three minutes, but we always bring it back.
Speaker 1: But we always bring it back. So now we're past the two guys portion of the podcast. We are firmly in five Rings territory. When we come back, we are talking all about the Paris Opening ceremonies and opening ceremonies.
Speaker 2: Of old, and we're back Bo. It's tightly held secret what's going to happen tomorrow at the opening ceremonies. Literally, even our trust that NBC researchers and people behind the curtain. Yes we have them. They could not tell us a thing. I don't even know if they know. So maybe we make some educated guesses about what's in store, like what do you think thinking? What do you want to see light Paris up on opening night?
Speaker 1: I well as what we do know is that it will be outside. It will not be limited to a stadium, it will be along the send. I'm hoping that we get much like the nineteen eighty nine Oscars produced by Alan Carr, in which snow White shows up out of nowhere for no reason. I want Bell, for good reason, to show up and think about how provincial of the life she has. There must be more of this provincial life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would love Bell to sort of kick off the ceremony with something that's really about France, which is getting in the beast of that song, that provincial life. Bringing that to the large stage of the Olympics, I think would unite those across political boundaries. And we're not here to talk about politics, but I'm going to imagine I also have it in Paris, and I'm going to imagine that things are very difficult there because I feel like nowhere politics is good. So I'm gonna assume comparison A has politics and B needs to heal from it. And I think that Belle could really speak to that.
Speaker 1: I think Belle could really speak to that. And I just want, here's my casting for bell at the opening ceremony. And I know she's not French. Kirsten Dunst.
Speaker 2: We've seen her play Marion and out, we've seen her play French.
Speaker 1: And that's enough. So that's my prediction so far. Let's just keep bouncing back and forth anything anything you are hoping to see your predictacy.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I feel like if we're to think about our great moments in history when it comes to opening ceremonies, I of course think of something I can recently remember, which was the Spice Girls coming out in London.
Speaker 1: That was closing closing, Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, then then retract all of what I said and pretend I said it on a later episode that covers the closing ceremony. In fact, we'll just copy paste it. When the Spice Girls came out in London, like in all truth here, that was a moment in culture for me. It really made me happy when they wrote out on the cars and they were on top of the cars and they sang Spice Up Your Life and they came out and like themed you know, London town cars and ate it up. So I'm thinking, what's the Paris version of the Spice Girls.
Speaker 1: At Lily Collins?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lily Collins, Lily Collins and.
Speaker 1: The cast of Emily in Paris, that is the French equivalent.
Speaker 2: That will have to be what we get?
Speaker 1: Or what if Carrie and the Russian Night in Paris? Oh my god, right Petrov burst of Kov It's burst of CoV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Alexander Petrowski, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, that would be so cool. I think I want to see Gaga singing Le'Veon Rose.
Speaker 2: I would love Gaga in any capacity. I don't know. Maybe you know what, joker, folio, do you know what? Wait? Are we onto something here? Could Gaga appear at the Olympic.
Speaker 1: As Harley Quinn, whoa.
Speaker 2: Doesn't get more French.
Speaker 1: Doesn't get more French than that?
Speaker 2: I don't think we're ready for. How scary, joke erfolio, do it is going to be? Think about Gaga unleash musically and psychotically.
Speaker 1: We can't talk about the Olympics for more than like two minutes.
Speaker 2: They knew what they were getting. And look, people love the podcast as a cultural institution. Everyone's talking about it. It's on everyone's lips. Should we talk about some great moments in Olympic opening ceremony history. I mean there's been quite a bit.
Speaker 1: There's been quite a bit, I would say, So let's just start off with I remember when I where I was and how I felt when eight Asian Olympics opening ceremony happened. Yeah, that was a wild one. They had two thousand and eight of everything. So they had two thousand and eight drummers in the beginning, they had two thousand and eight tiles in this printing press where it was actual people on like pushing each It wasn't like a machine. It was all like manual labor, just on a grandeur on a scale level like that is I think one of the more impressive.
Speaker 2: Ones absolutely, That was.
Speaker 1: Sarah Brighton, I think singing a song with a Chinese singer. They sang something, but that's when I was like, that's Sarah Brightman, like like Phantom of the Opera. Wow, the original Christine.
Speaker 2: Wow came out and carried at the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason she was in Beijing. Our Christine was in Beijing.
Speaker 2: I get it, though, so I guess Beijing kind of went all out.
Speaker 1: They went very extra, They went extra absolutely.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the Queen Elizabeth the second skit with James Bond aka Daniel Craig at the twenty twelve London Olympics opening ceremony, because a queen look alike fully jumped out of a plane and the actual queen arrived wearing the same peach color dress. She actually was down to clown that Queen Elizabeth. I think we're not giving her enough credit for how she held together with the royal family because Loki look at them now, and that's not slander because we're talking about the Paris Olympics. This isn't the London Olympics, where I'm sure we'd have way more decorum. Maybe maybe not. But she also had a sense of humor.
Speaker 1: She had a sense of humor. Where's the Crown episode on that? About how funny she was, well, not only about how funny she was, but also about the opening ceremony.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: I want her meeting Daniel them discussing, yeah, what it's gonna be like on the day I just want to hear Queen Elizabeth the iond say on.
Speaker 3: The day, I'll do it on the day.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I'm talking, Like, is that Adele, I'll do it on the day.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: On the day. You'll be better.
Speaker 1: Now you have an Adele and a ray. Now that ray is becoming more of a more, more of a.
Speaker 2: Ray, more like like ray less bothered than a doe. Day was up here, raise more down here.
Speaker 1: Raise down here. I can't believe I'm snl. That's what she said to me.
Speaker 2: She said, it's so cute, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I'm amazing.
Speaker 2: I can't believe I'm sn ol so amazing. I've never dreamed this spake you were when I was a young girl, I never thought I could dream this spike.
Speaker 1: You're so good at accents. I'm getting a horny from you.
Speaker 2: Don't don't don't horny in the middle of the day, getting horny, because then the whole day goes. When you're getting horny too early, honey, honey, then you're you're just empty the rest of the day. Did they tell us at the when we started recording this, like, hey, don't curse.
Speaker 1: I I don't think they did, and I think it's okay. I think they did say that they might bleep us.
Speaker 2: Well that's fine. I kind of think a bleep as she I think blea takes me back, bleeps me back to like, you know, hell television. Yeah, like like you know what I mean? And hearing that bleep so totaling talk about getting horny? What was the word? Your body thinks? Right?
Speaker 1: Well, talk about linear TV. And this is the Olympics. This is a celebration of linear television.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is so old school. This is bringing TV back down.
Speaker 1: With the streamers. Sorry, Peacock, we love you.
Speaker 2: You know that we love you.
Speaker 1: Peacock.
Speaker 2: You won the last Cherisa's Culture Award You're a Coach Award winner for Best Streaming Service, presented by Peacock. The winner was Peacock.
Speaker 1: The winner was Peacock. Now, the ninety six Atlanta Games, I wasn't totally keyed to the Olympics at this very young age. I must have been five or six years old.
Speaker 2: We were young.
Speaker 1: We were young. But I have seen images of these.
Speaker 2: Hot silhouettes, gorgeous hot silhouet to the Atlanta Olympics opening ceremony was certainly giving, and especially to note we would have enjoyed this very much because if you bring out Gladys Knight singing Georgia on my Mind now today I'm on my feet screaming the word respect and six year old me, I don't think could really receive that and could maybe identify with Georgia on my Mind. But adult me, who in a word? Who in a word?
Speaker 1: Who in a word? I would have signed up to be a pip mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Leave on the mind the train Georgia.
Speaker 3: Rain.
Speaker 2: That's a great song. That's a great tune, almost as good as Great Balls of Fire.
Speaker 1: The second time mentioning Great Balls of Fire on this podcast amazing. The two thousand Sydney Olympics. I really really loved. This was the first opening ceremonies that I sat down.
Speaker 2: For that you can really remember in your heart in lluins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just remember when all the nations would come out with their flags, just feeling an immense and this is what the Olympics give. Yeah, you really see the breath of the world. You see all different kinds of people.
Speaker 2: I could cry. You see the breath of the world b R E A D H. And you also see the breath of the world. The breath because you see them living in such pride.
Speaker 1: And you see the bread of the world because I want to take a bite off.
Speaker 2: Of that period. And no matter who it is, no matter who, that's where we're at. Remember the phrase playing hard to get? Yeah, I forgot what that phrase even means.
Speaker 1: Honey. When I when I watched the Sydney Olympic opening ceremony, I said, what is that phrase? I don't know her?
Speaker 2: I said, what, I don't know her? What do you feel about North and South Korea marching together in the opening ceremony of the two thousand Sydney Olympics behind a flag depicting a unified Korean peninsula? That kind of two words for me, fat chance, two words for me false, hope, much that's three. But don't don't dangle that in front of us. It's giving me announcing to the world via my aim away message Varsity Chicks coming summer two thousand and four. Yeah, it's just it's not gonna happen. It ain't gonna happen. It's giving. When no Mary Poppins ride in Epcot, it's exactly that. It's literally just as hurtful. We're so excited for Dark Universe at Universal, at the University for Steakhouse Das Steakhouse, which I thought was it's gonna be really good, you guys, And this is NBC Universal, so this is good that we bring this up and it's relevant. You're gonna be able to eat at this theme park in the Dark Universe section, which is Classic Monster's theme, You're gonna be able to eat steak on a steak and there's going to be familiars of vampires serving it to you, and those are going to be the way staff. Name another legendary theme park. You can't that this is going to be number one.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the two thousand and four Athens Olympics opening ceremony, giant cycladic head rising from the flooded stadium floor, breaks apart, falls into the water. It represents what the Greek islands. Yeah, we're talking archipelago legends.
Speaker 2: It's just, you know, to be honest with you, Bowen, this is a tough Olympics for me, really, and also just the entire Olympics actually is hard for me. Like this whole thing has been very traumatizing to do this podcast so far because as we know, the Olympics has its roots in Greece, and I felt that I had my roots in Greece, and then I did a twenty three in me that, let's just say, I was sorely mistaken. So I think I watched this as a fourteen year old person, newly excited about the Olympics and the Games and the whole pumping circumstance, thinking Wow, they're in my homeland, and to know that I was wrong. No, man, I don't know if I'll ever get over it, Matt, because I'm Turkish as hell.
Speaker 1: Well, this is what I was to say, is that the thing about twenty three in Me and these ancestry things is like Turkey. It's like Turkey, Greece. It's just giving Mediterranean. You are of that part of the world. You are from the Middle Earth, from Mediterra. You are Greek down you if you were raised Greek with a Greek identity, don't let a little test, a little percentage on a little slip of paper or a little website tell you anything different.
Speaker 2: I can't be sad about who I am and who I ended up being, you know what I mean, even if I thought it was something different. I still ended up being someone who genetically was made up of the stuff that could cause me to run a four to thirty six mile in the sixteen hundred meters when I was but fifteen years old. Woow. So I guess I can't have regrets genetically, but it stings.
Speaker 1: I hope you can think back on the Athens Olympics and feel that same pride you felt when you were fourteen thirteen years old.
Speaker 2: Sometimes boe, I wish I had never spit four times into that tube. And I don't just say that about this.
Speaker 1: Oh what now? What could that mean?
Speaker 2: You know that classic and nuendo, the tube, the twobe oh, the twenty twenty Tokyo Olympics. There was some drama around this year, twenty twenty, But I mean, at least what happened in performers. At least we had human performers bringing sport pictograms to life. What happened in twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, I now I remember what happened in twenty twenty, But you're right, at least we had humans bringing sport pictrograms to life at the twenty twenty Tokyo Olympics.
Speaker 2: You know, I was watching the weakest link the other day with my parents because it was on television program and one of the questions was the twenty twenty Tokyo Olympics was held in what year? And when he said twenty twenty one, I jumped out of my seat, like idiot, And then she was like, correct, and I was like and then I remembered I was the idiot for having completely erased the coronavirus pandemic from existence. Of course it took place in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: It had to be delayed, so it's kind of nice that we're getting it only three years after the last one in the summertime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of nice. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And remember the twenty sixteen Rio Games Gizelle strutting her stuff to girl from Apanima. Oh yeah, kind of a weird one. I would say that was a weird one.
Speaker 2: You know what, though, the weirder the better. I love that they were like, you know, who should represent us at the Olympics, Gisell. I think it's the most chaotic and yet cheek choice we've spoken about.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just that is that, But that's like the main image that we remember, which is so interesting to me. Why it's weird, It's weird. Oh we have to just mention going back to Athens, b York, Oh yeah, say her name b York singing and then having her whole dress on furl to cover the entire floor of the stadium. That is, I'm sorry to say, and they're gonna bleet me.
Speaker 2: Yep. She is an Olympic type of performer, Like you want someone who's gonna give the global impact that can only be delivered by an artist like York.
Speaker 1: Who do you think that artist would be for Paris? As we go into tomorrow, as we wait with baited breath, with the Parisis, I have I have a pitch.
Speaker 2: You go because we said Gaga, But I feel like now it's too good to be true. It makes too much sense.
Speaker 1: Enya, Oh, I think Enya could come out of you know, her break that she's taken.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, I jumped into my mind. What did come to my mind?
Speaker 1: Selene?
Speaker 2: Wouldn't that be a major mode?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we would all let's just call it there, like we don't have to do anything else in civilization. Selene could come out and just do whatever it is she wanted. But then I was like, oh is that dumb? Because She's French Canadian, but like, I still think Paris would welcome Celine Dijon with open arms as an international icon and what would be more hopeful than seeing her go up there and like, no, Selena her space again. Selene has represented other countries in the past, since the beginning, since Eurovision.
Speaker 2: She's since zero Vision. You're right about that, she.
Speaker 1: Was for Switzerland. There is something French about her.
Speaker 2: No matter what, I think this is the only answer not to set an expectation that will disappoint us because she is still getting well. But that would be pretty amazing in a real way and not in a silly way like we've been talking on the rest of this episode. Now we've been talking in a very silly manner. I think we have Let's get serious and let's give out our medals. Let's do gold, silver and bronze to some of these opening ceremonies that we just listed. I think we might be in conflict here because I do believe that Giselle Bunchen is a medalist. Here, I'm okay to give her the bronze medal, just like they've probably got bronze before the event that one, because guess what, even Giselle doesn't wake up looking like she's ready for the runway. I want all the women out there to know she doesn't just wake up looking like that. Okay, she gets a lot of help and the team that got her ready for events like sure, the twenty sixteen Rio Olympics opening ceremony, but you could too, you could too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we'll give it that. On Metal, I'm gonna give the silver to I think Sydney doesn't get a medal because of that North Korean moment, because of that Korea unified Korea moment that's locked, that was like teasing something that was never going to happen. I'm going to give silver to Athens, okay, because guess what. It is a huge part of your journey of the self to reconnect with your Greek culture. That is that will always be with you.
Speaker 2: And I can appreciate the you know what they were doing there with the cycladic head rising from the flooded stadium floor which ultimately broke apart, and piece of stone in the water representing the Greek islands. I think that's really I get that.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 2: Definitely gold for me. The humor of Queen Elizabeth jumping out of a plane, human arriving in a James Bond skit to me that just like you, just like me, just like Ariano. Mattox back in the day takes sketch comedy very seriously in a way that I think does belong on a world stage.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and that's why we are happy to give the gold medal to the London twenty twelve Olympics opening ceremonies.
Speaker 2: But in any final words that lead us into what is going to be surely an exciting and really moving opening ceremony, you.
Speaker 1: Can catch us doing an Instagram live after the opening ceremonies. I did not discuss this with matt Do you are you down? Let's do it.
Speaker 2: I'm so down. I'm so down. We'll actually be in the same place, you know that, we actually will.
Speaker 1: That's right, we will be in the same place.
Speaker 2: So this Instagram Live is fully happening, and we'll see you tomorrow. Watch every moment of the twenty twenty four Paris Olympics beginning July twenty sixth, that's tomorrow on NBC and Peacock. And for the first time, you can stream the twenty twenty four Paris Games on the iHeartRadio app we'll see tomorrow, but for now, we end every episode with an iconic little tune that you might know.