Speaker 1: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the man. Hero.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the man hero.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the man, Welcome back to the mail room. Jordan runs out, how in the hell are you? Did you survive? Santa Monica? I gotta let everybody know? So one of the they say, you never you never want to.
Speaker 3: Meet your heroes.
Speaker 2: But but Jordan and I actually, you know, he's not just sort of above the chest guy.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's living, walking human being, is.
Speaker 2: A three dimensional as delightful in person as he is on camera as well as behind the mic. And uh, this is humanism and radio right here. But so Jordan came out to Santa Monica a couple of weeks ago for the iHeartRadio Awards show out here. I believe, right, Is that what your thing was?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: That was very fun. Yeah, we got to see I got to be a room with Taylor Swift, Travis Kelsey, heard of John Mellencamp doing his best. Would he got three? You would have loved it?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I saw John Mellencamp in a what was it, Rock the Vote? That was one of his early political things. I saw him in La probably like an eighty seven. It was an amazing concert eighty seven eighty eight, and uh yeah, just what a performer, what a what a legend? Do you know?
Speaker 3: The cool thing about him?
Speaker 2: I just read the other day he's a big Indiana football supporter and also a chainsmoker, and so which is you know, not endorsed by the mail room until Big Tobacco wants to sponsor us. But but it's never gonna happen. I promise, I got my morals and ethics. But yeah, but they supposedly build a box for him in the stadium, like at the very top where you could go you can watch the game and smoke. I mean, that's that's a donor donor money going to good use. I think we just have to look the other way on that because he is John Mellencamp. But he's already survived heart attacks and bypass surgery. You know, maybe that's that nickedtine, that's you know, Actually, this is a strange tagaway as things always happen into what we're going to talk about on the show today, which is that individualized medicine and individualized results to medications is really important and not everybody's going to respond to the same drug in the same way. So you know, there are people that can smoke until they're ninety or one hundred years old, and they say their secret to longevity is a cigar, three cigarettes a day, and a shot of whiskey, and you can't take that away from them. Their genome is allowing them that kind of well, what's the word, I guess large, Yes, to let them live their best lives with tobacco and whiskey. But you know, the exact opposite of that is what you and I got to do when we were in Santa Monica.
Speaker 3: So tell tell me about our experience.
Speaker 2: Your kid in the candy storm moment, when this mythical place that also is real opened up your eyes to what Santa Monica is all about.
Speaker 5: I could believe it, folks.
Speaker 1: I finally went to Erwon, which if you're in the East Coast maybe you've never heard of.
Speaker 6: If you're on the West coast, you're laughing at me right now because I know that as a staple of your diet. I'm sure these smoothies they're they're they're magical. I've actually been craving smoothies every day since.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous, right, Yeah, they're colors that don't appear in nature.
Speaker 5: Mine was like this blue one yours was I think pink or maybe around.
Speaker 2: It's some kind of algae and spiral leasion and ground up help. It does appear in nature, Drew And by the way, no sponsorship from Eriwan. Yes, but it's a good it's a I mean yet, that's right, it's a good. It's a good bit. But yeah, I mean it. It's so annoying to me because I have these very strong, farm rooted Midwestern sensibilities and to go in and drop twenty bugs in a smoothie, it just makes me cringe. It makes my I think of my grandparents in the throes of the Great Depression, you know where, where twenty bucks would get them through a year, and here I am dropping this on a Turmerican beat smoothie. But but anyway, I mean, it's real. We got to do it. That's uh, you know, that's living our best lives. And yeah, you know once a month or so ain't bad. That won't break the bank. But anyways, so good to see you and you made it back to Brooklyn and back in the studio and ready to lay down some tracks.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: Actually, I have a question for you related to two things that we just spoke about, grandparents and individual response to what I'll loosely describe as medicine.
Speaker 6: I had a friend whose grandmother swore that her secret to longevity, and I believe she broke a hundred. She would fry bacon for her husband or eventually herself after he died, pour the grease into a little shot glass, into.
Speaker 5: A shot of bacon grease every morning.
Speaker 1: And she claimed that that was her secret to life. I would love to know what you think about this.
Speaker 2: Well. I think that the secret to life probably is these rituals that make you feel grounded every day, you know, like we ask all of our guests, you know, what do you do every day to make you you? And if we had her on, she would say, I drink bacon grease, Jordan and doctor Mills. That's what I do. I'm not gonna take that away from her. I don't think the health benefits are there, but maybe there's some meato privileged aspect of bacon grease. It's definitely not the nitrites. I think, you know, God bless her, you're not getting stomach cancer or something. But again you know, she didn't have the genetic predisposition to some kind of nitrite reaction, and therefore she can handle I imagine process bacon. Maybe it was organic, maybe it was from marijuana. Doubt it, doubt it. Oh there, it's been around a while. You know, it's not a new store by any means. Bacon smoothie, Bacon smoothie.
Speaker 3: Well there it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I keep pitching for my daily Sialis smoothie.
Speaker 3: You know the tadala field.
Speaker 2: Just grind it up, and you know that's your secret to nitri cockside boosting.
Speaker 3: So anyway, you know.
Speaker 2: Look out money on the table. Yeah, that's money at the table, that's right. Yeah, it's the it's the longevity over fifty smoothie. The geeze are smoothie. But I don't think it'll really sell now with an aim like that. All right, So here's the thing. There is a riddle. It's a rhetorical riddle. I mean, if I let the mic drop just long enough, you can try to guess. But what are the two things every guy is afraid to lose and thinks he has to choose between.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say potency and hair?
Speaker 2: Damn I'll come on, you read the script that doesn't exist. That's right, his erections in his hairline, That's what I was going with. That exactly right. And I see it every day in my practice, and I see it also. I think because people are asking about it, there is this prevalence in the zeitgeist and maybe in our constant pursuit for more clickbait and content. We're revising something that's really been a debate for over thirty years, so this is not new. But what I'm talking about is finasteride and its cousin detasteride, and I'll think it's coming up for.
Speaker 3: A lot of reasons.
Speaker 2: And we're going to get into this because right now, I think the prevailing wisdom in the social media spase is that this is an evil drug and it will take away a guy's erections.
Speaker 3: Is libido his life?
Speaker 2: And I'm going to discount that because I do see guys in my practice that have these side effects from finasteride, and they're very potent and they can really wreck somebody's life.
Speaker 3: But we have to unpack it.
Speaker 2: We have to figure out what's real, what's mythological, And again, we want to be one voice above the din here, and that is our voice, maybe two voices, Jordan's voice of keeping me on task in my voice of saying, there is some medical basis to why it's such an amazing drug and why it does such good for the vast majority of guys that take it, but also why it could have a dark, ugly secret. And that's organ unpack today. So let's talk about this a little bit. What is fanaster, right, tell me what you're understanding is what's out there, and let me want to one this a little bit for our audience.
Speaker 6: I see that getting served up to me and a lot of guys my age or approaching their forties just on Instagram, ads and things through you know sites. I won't mention their names, but worked you can just kind of order it online with it, you know, a very hastily obtained doctor's note. Either spray or oral.
Speaker 5: My understanding of it is to kind of slow hair.
Speaker 6: Loss as opposed to any kind of regrowth's that's sort of the extent of my knowledge.
Speaker 5: I don't know too much about how it works.
Speaker 2: That was more well, and I ask you about but oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was kind of more. My understanding was that it was either spray or an oral pill.
Speaker 3: Nice, let me do the heavy lifting again. I love it. So, yes, that is right.
Speaker 2: It is a hair loss drug, but it wasn't designed, you know, in the lab for that it was.
Speaker 3: It was actually a hormone.
Speaker 2: It is a hormone blocker, but it was designed to shrink a guy's prostate. And like all wonderful accidents in the world of pharmacology, guys were also noticing that their hair actually was getting thicker. So it actually can promote hair regrowth to a certain extent, but it does stabilize follicle degeneration. And so the guys that were saying, gosh, this is great. Not only am I being better because I'm on a drug to help my prostate, but my hair is coming back. So that sounds amaz and it is now. Unfortunately there was in the original studies. Now this is empty approved all the way back in the early nineties, so this is not a new drug by any means.
Speaker 3: But there was a certain.
Speaker 2: Subset of guys that in that early population, and this is where it gets a little bit fudgy, and where there may have been some trouble in terms of how the side effects were reported and may have been buried by some.
Speaker 3: Of the original studies.
Speaker 2: But the bottom line is, I mean, I remember when this drug came out and it was a oh yeah, this is a great drug for BPH benign prostact hyperplesia. It makes you urinate better, not get up at night, and also reduces your PSA, which we had the big episode series with Doctor Brisbane on in terms of your screening for prostate cancer. PSA is that blood test. If you remember that the higher it is, the more likely you have prostate cancer. And so you have a drug that actually reduces the PSA. And there was even some thought that finasteride at one point and detest ride might actually prevent prostate cancer that to never really hit. The FDA in fact looked at it and said, nah, we don't love it. And there's also a little bit of a nefarious side that maybe guys that are on long term finasteride, if they develop prostate cancer, it can be somewhat more aggressive than average because you're robbing the prostate of the hormone that it normally needs to grow and it's looking for alternative pathways to be bad. And so none of that really showed up either. But the bottom line is it does to dramatically decrease your prostate size, and it does dramatically lower your PSA and so if you're on it, this was that public service announcement another PSA from doctor Brisbane saying if you're on finasteride, tell your doctor, even if you're getting it online for hair loss, because we have to interpret your PSA in the context of if you're on it, you should at least double what the reading shows in the blood test, if not even go up from there.
Speaker 3: So super important.
Speaker 2: Just as another another shout out for anybody that is a screening age for prostate cancer. But yeah, I mean, all it is is it's kind of a cool, very specific drug in that it knocks out an enzyme. And I think if we talk about enzymes, which we've talked about before, and we'll do a lot, enzymes essentially are proteins in the body that make a reaction happen at a much faster rate. That's what it called it catalytic reaction. And so finasteride is an enzyme inhibitor. It inhibits something called five alpha reductase, and five alpha reductase takes a molecule of testosterone and it turns it into a molecule of dihydrate testosterone or DHT. That's very simple biochemistry and pharmacology. So if you knock out that enzyme, then your body ends up having more testosterone and less DHT. Now, the interesting thing about this drug is that nothing's ever for free in pharmacology. And as I always say too when we're talking about supplements, and if you say this is the most amazing supplement, it'll make your hair grow back, it'll make your penis longer, it'll make your boobs better, it'll make whatever supplement they're trying to sell you, and there are no side effects, then you automatically know it doesn't work, because anytime you perturb anything in the body, you're gonna have some counter reaction somewhere else, and so f an astroide, it's a very simple counter reaction. Testosterone has two ways to be metabolized in the body, and one is through the DHT pathway we just talked about, and the other is through the estradal pathway. Sometimes in guys we use estrogen and estra dial interchangeably because there's really three iso forms of estrogen, but in a guy, estra dial is the most powerful one, so if I if I accidentally go between estrogen and estra dial, Any nitpicker indo chronologists out there, I love you all for it, but.
Speaker 3: Bear with me.
Speaker 2: It's really estra dial as the main molecule that we're talking about in guys in terms of the estrogen family. But testosterron can also metabolize into estradal through an enzyme called aromatase, So a romatase will convert to estrogen. And if that pathway is open and the DHT pathway is shut, then what do you think happens estrone goes up? Think of it as a big sink, right. Your body is a is a sink. You've got testosterone is a faucet, and there's two drains that testosrine can go into. There's the DHT drain and then there's the estra dial drain. And if those drains are equally open, then you get a pretty good ratio of testosterone degradation to DHT testosteron degradation to estra dial and your whole body is in homeostas. It's perfect balance, perfect harmony. So if I go in and I plug up that DHT drain, all right, you're ready for your quiz, what happens to estra dial levels?
Speaker 3: Then, Jordan, if that goes up?
Speaker 2: So if I block DHD and that drain is wide open for est dial, how much more estra dial is going to be made?
Speaker 5: How much sport it's gonna be made? I mean so if if the body is losing it more rapidly.
Speaker 6: I imagine that the much more is going to be made, because that's right to keep a homeasis exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you have higher levels of estra dial, So that's exactly it. So then you say, okay, well then finasteride detasteride. These drugs work by blocking DHD. Estra dial levels go up. So what's the baland what's the bad side? What happens if a guy's walking around with too much estra dial? You can you get asked me too, but what are your What do you think side effects could possibly be if we if a guy has an excess of estra dial because the DHT pathway is blocked with phanasteride.
Speaker 5: I'm actually not sure. I imagine that it would you would have disastrous effects to the sisostrail levels?
Speaker 2: Is that y? Yeah? Well so actually interesting. This is a great board question for urologists and In fact, the thought is the common wisdom, which is not right, is that, and it's understandable because some of the side effects will talk about our associated low testostrum, And the common wisdom is you put a guy in an asteroide, his T levels will go down. Actually they go up a little bit because we're blocking that part of the sink, and so not all that goes down. Estra dial tea levels are suspended a little bit longer. But the two big side effects that we know happen with guys that have too much as gen from say there I did estra dial from one of either an organic source like a guy has liver failure, smokes too much weed. Those are two things that can cause high levels of estra dial. They'll mention two things. One is they'll get breast tissue or what it's called guid in camasitia develop. Two is that they may have libido issues or mood swings. And it's not you know what you think is that estra dial is a moody hormone. It's just that our body and our brain isn't used to seeing such high levels of estra dial, and so it can change the way that we think a little bit, but also could be a libido killer. Now that's not universally true. In fact, there's some really interesting studies that show that some men are very ester dial dependent for libido, and so again, individual results may vary. It's just like cigarettes and whiskey and one hundred and two year old woman. Some do better with it than others, and so this is really the key to this individualized medicine. But that's one of the side effects that we know. So if a guy comes in and says, Doc, I want to keep my hair, and I say, great, you know, you just let me know if you get really moody, if you have any kind of libido shift, or if you start developing breast tissue, we need to know about it. We can stop it and then we'll get you back to that normal homeless stasis. So that's one aspect of it. The other aspect is that you do have other organs in your body that are DHD dependent. So the two that we know of and the reason finasteride works is the prostate, and it's also the hair and the hair follicles in the head, I should say, are very DHD dependent. They're also blood vessel dependent, and so hair loss is not just because our DHT levels kick in when we're in our early twenties or thirties whenever. Hair loss happens to guys, which also varies by age, but blood vessels are super important, so you have to make sure you have nice, open, healthy blood vessels. And so the other really big common cause of hair loss and guys women for that matter, is extreme stress where you're just not getting good blood flow, good nutrition to your scalp, and so hair falls out for that reason too, So we have to kind of tease out between those. But other than DHT being in the hair follicle and in the prostate, it's also in the brain. It's in the hypothalamus, which is kind of what we call our lizard brain. It's in the prefrontal cortex, which is most of the decision making aspect.
Speaker 3: Of our brain.
Speaker 2: So that says I'm hungry, I want to go have a hamburger, or I want to have sex now, or I'm going to run this red light and hope for the best. And so you know, as we talk about earlier signs of aging and twenty five being that time of sin essence, I think it's really important in the DHD story too is we'll get into so if you have other receptor mediated organs that don't see DHT, it may not just be the fact that estra dial levels go up. It also may be that what there's low DHT and those receptors that are DHD dependent changes can happen. And that's where maybe, and we don't know, because nobody is gonna have an institution where review boards say we can take biopses of brains to look at DHD or androgen receptor levels.
Speaker 3: We have to rely on animal data. We have to rely on.
Speaker 2: Side effects and symptom monitoring. But that is where a lot of this lipido talk comes from. With phanastride, that if you put a guy in phanasteride and the main sexual side effects, one is almost a guarantee, which is seman volume reduces, which makes sense because we know that the prostate makes semen, and so if you have a smaller prostate, it's not going to make it as much semen, so ejaculate volume goes down. Most guys not bothered by that, but from a fertility perspective it can be an issue. And one of the things when I'm counseling my young guys that are on phanastride. Is if we may have to modulate or even stop your phastride while you're trying to initiate a pregnancy, if you're seeing a dramatic loss of ejaculate volume, again, that's reversible. You stop the drug, prostate grows back, seminal volume comes back, and you're back to baseline. So no harm, no foul along aside, Yeah, weeks, six weeks to eight weeks. Yeah, so not that long. I mean things bounce back. If you're on it chronically, then it can take longer. But it's a good point. Actually, if you look at the maximal effects of finastride from a urinary standpoint. We looked at those studies when it first came out, is it takes about six months to get the maximal amount of prostate reduction, and after two years, a lot of guys, even in my age, in their fifties sixties, we can stop fanasteride and actually still get a really long durational response because we really knocked that enzyme, you know, to the ground for so long, and so it's a much longer acting enzyme. Which also I'm glad you brought that up because one of the other things that finasteride we know happens is it's a dose responsive drug, and it's also a really long enzyme blocker. So if I give a guy prostate dose as a finasteride, that's five milligrams a day, seven days a week. If I give a guy a loss doses tends to be one milligram a day, seven days a week. Now, this is not a medical school approved podcast in that this is we're going to talk off label. But one of the things I'm super interested in in general as a clinician is this concept of microdosing, where you find a drug that works for a disease state and you use it at a much lower dose to prevent that disease from ever happening. And we look at it in cholesterol levels, and you know, one of the newest things in cardiology is to take guys at borderline high cholesterol and put them on low doses of statins where you mitigate side effects but you also prevent them. Why wait for a guy to get a heart attack before you treat them with a statin? So why wait for a guy to get full blown erectile dysfunction before you put them on low doses to dalipha.
Speaker 3: We've been doing that for years.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's the same thing with an asteroide in that instead of having to take even a milligram a day, what if you just took three milligrams a week, so you've cut that dose in half. And again off label, off label, off label. Just to banner scream that this represents only the opinions of doctor Mills and no other legitimate healthcare agency in the world. But I do think that microdosing is a very interesting strategy and it may in fact mitigate some of these side effects. But it's a long acting enzyme, so if I give it a guy a pill on Monday, it'll actually still be in a system by Friday. So we may in fact, at our FDA approved dosing that got these things to the market for hair loss and for prostate reduction, we may be actually overtreated, and that might be part of the issue as well. I have a side question for it, yeah, and no bring it.
Speaker 6: If this is a total sidebar, then we can circle back to it later.
Speaker 3: We'll fix it in post. You will face it. There is no post.
Speaker 1: The other treatment that I often see for hair loss is I'm probably gonna butcher the pronunciation monoxidil.
Speaker 2: No, it's good.
Speaker 1: Does that have a similar My very loose understanding just from researching for this episode is that the side effects for that is it's less of a concern than an asteroide. Yeah, how do you balance those two? What are the pros and cons of both?
Speaker 2: Weather synergistic because you don't have to balance in anything. I mean, so monoxidil is it was originally studied as a as a pertensive drug or a blood pressure drug. And so again it goes back to one of these great things where you know, we started taking monoxideal I mean, this drug has been around for forty years. I can't even tell you how long it has been around. But also we noticed not only did blood pressure go down, although not very much, but guys, you know, retaining hair and it's actually a very effective treatment by helping open up the blood vessels so that the hair follicle is seeing better blood flow, better nutrients, and so they actually can work synergistically. And there's a topical form of monoxidill that you put on like a moose or nobody uses moose anymore. It's what is it, nineteen eighty five mills, but anyway, you put it on as a hair accoutremole and you rub it in and it works. And there's also a pill form Modoxida comes in two and a half and five milligrams, and I think that actually has a very clean side effect profile from sexual side effects because it's non hormonal, you know, works on the blood flow system. And so if you came to a physician that was treating hair loss, then maximum medical therapy would be some combination of medoxidil and finasteride and usually orally. You know, there are sort of you know, potions and lotions and things that aren't really FDA approved where people will compound you know, an asteroid, put it in the hair follicle, never really study, don't there's no data that it works. May there may be some transdermal absorption, but for the most part, you know, you need a prescription to get both of these drugs, thank goodness. And actually, I think you know it's time to then, now that we have a little bit of a background on how these drugs work, hormone blocker pros and cons, it is to say, well, why is this becoming a thing again? I mean, first of all, because you know, we've worried as men for centuries, if not eons about hair loss.
Speaker 3: Why it's kind of you know, it's central to who we are.
Speaker 2: And it also is one thing we didn't talk about in our nitrogoxide episode, but it's one of the first signs of aging. And if you're nineteen years old with some men have very early male pattern baldness, that that can devastate us. Right, It's one thing, I mean, out of all the things I do urologically that guys are self conscious about. You know, you can hide that with underwear and a belt and a pair of pants, right, but you can't. It's very difficult to mask hair loss and nless you're wearing hats or wearing some kind of you know, hair accessory, and so it's front and center every day you wake up, brush your teeth, wash your face, and you look at your hairline thinning. And so it makes us very vulnerable as men and women too. I mean, obviously, female hair loss is a whole other thing which which is even less socially accepted and so therefore even more traumatizing to our women out there that may be listening. And interestingly enough, both monoxidal and finasteride can work in women as well, totally different side effect profiles, a totally different podcasts. We'll have to bring somebody on that is on that side of the treatment spectrum. But it's a devastating issue, right, and it has not had a lot of research into it. It's, as far as we know, not associated with any long term other health concerns, and so it falls into the category of cosmetics, which I would say is not true because anything that affects our psychology and our mental health is not a psychological problem. But it is a true mental health problem, and so we do need solutions for this, right. And the other thing is if there's a market for it, what do you think happens? Just like you said, I mean, so talk to me about you know, a day in your in your Instagram feeds and your social media feeds.
Speaker 3: What are you seeing?
Speaker 2: You know, I have the name companies, but the bottom line you mentioned it is that people are out there trying to sell you something to maintain that lustrous hair.
Speaker 3: You have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I notice a lot of my friends are similar age to me.
Speaker 6: Just seeing it get served up more and more often, and it definitely puts the thought in your head.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've thought more about it in the last six months than I ever have, just because it's been brought.
Speaker 5: To my attention.
Speaker 1: You know, I find myself now at age thirty eight, you know, staring at the mara of thinking, wait.
Speaker 2: Is this is this then that it used to be?
Speaker 1: And my dad got blessed and always say, you know, his hair is thinning, and he would always say it just means it more highly evolved there.
Speaker 2: I always liked, that's right. Yeah, So somebody is trying to sell you something somewhere, and I think that's what has happened.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've known.
Speaker 2: About post finasteride syndrome, which we'll get into here in a sec for years, and what it is we'll talk about. But definitely the side effect profile has I think been buried a little bit because there's this rush to sell you something and there's multiple direct to consumer venues that the business model is if you don't log out without a prescription, then they're not going to make money off you. And so I think any listener that out there listening, I want you to make sure that the people that are prescribing you hair loss drugs at least have told you some of the side effects, and I think that's where this is making the news again, is that as these companies have higher and higher valuations, are becoming more and more part of our daily dinner table discussions, which is, you know, this is American capitalism. I cannot possibly say anything bad about it because we all live and breathe this every day. But I can say caveat emptor, and so I think I think that's what I want, is to make sure that people are informed before they make the decision, because, as I led this podcast off with, I think these are amazing drugs, and I think they're in general for most men, really are fantastic. I mean, it decreases a number of surgeries we have to do on men as we age for prostate enlargement.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt.
Speaker 2: So if you can take a pill to stay out of my operating room so I don't have to do some procedure to reduce your PROSTA side, then take a pill as long as it works for you, and eventually you'll probably end up in my o R.
Speaker 3: But that's okay. I got time.
Speaker 2: I'm busy, and so I'll wait patiently as you're taking that finasteride and do tasterhide But if I didn't have the conversation at the beginning and say, hey, Jordan, these are great drugs. But here's the deal. Let's just really break it down. This is what I've seen over twenty plus years of practice and treating thousands of men on an annual basis. If they come in asking for an asteroide, or if I notice that they are concerned about their rapidly thinning hairline or rapidly enlarging prostate, We're going to talk about it, going to say, here's the deal. I have no idea. I can give you this pill and I can get a spill to one hundred guys. And ninety eight of those guys are going to say, Mills, that was fantastic. I'm peeing better, my hair is thicker, and this is the greatest drug ever. And two of those guys are going to say, oh, man, like, I mean, yeah, prostates better, hair is thicker. But I have no sex drive anymore. I'm feeling kind of grumpy, moody, actually even feeling like I don't really have much reason to live. And I certainly have noticed that I'm not getting erections anymore. Those are the guys that very small percentage, And I'm not going to put a number on it because the number is very, very difficult to quantify. In the original clinical trials, even that was part of the problem, is that they excluded men early on that started to have severe symptoms and they sort of cast them aside to the point where they didn't want them to be in the cohort. So we don't actually know what that number is, but it's small. But if that guy comes into my office, then that is a life that we seriously affected, not for the better, and all the pursuit of and in most cases hair hair restoration or hair maintenance. And so that's a tough trade off, is that. You know, if I ask a guy like we led with, you know, can you keep your hair and your erections, the answer is most likely yes, and yes you're probably going to be Okay. If we start this medicine, you have those side effects, we stop it. So let's talk about postpinasteroid syndrome.
Speaker 3: Do you know about it?
Speaker 2: Have you heard this term before at all? Is it making it into the zeitgeist only recently?
Speaker 1: Actually I've heard it more sort of described as depression and brain fog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think that's real. I mean, that's a pretty good description of what some of these men are suffering with. So it's twenty twenty six. I mean the first paper that came out on PFS was twenty twelve, you know, So it's not again overnight. It's been out for a long time. And it's a syndrome meaning is not a disease. Meaning a disease is you have appendicitis. If we don't take your mendex out and it ruptures, you're going to die. Syndrome meaning the constellation of symptoms doesn't have a clear ideology or a clear pathway for why it happens. And I think that's critical. And I think that any person that may be suffering from this, if you go to the doctor and they automatically discount you, which I see all the time, and say, you know, this isn't real, it is. It's real because you're feeling it, and there is enough of a mechanism that it may actually be something that is real that we have to address, and so let's talk about what it is.
Speaker 6: It's interesting to me, I'm just snaking right now. If there is any kind of diagnostic panel or something that you has done to kind of decide whether or not you would be somebody would be likely to be adversely affected by this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I mean we don't at this point. You know.
Speaker 2: One of the things that is kind of this new frontier in medicine is this personalized pharmacology where there are some available tests for certain drugs that you can screen to see if somebody is going to be a better responder or a worst responder. Usually has to do it the way liver metabolizes certain drugs, and there's enzomatic pathways that are upregulated or down regulated in certain people, but nothing yet for this.
Speaker 3: And so that would be amazing if I could say, hey.
Speaker 2: Look before I start you on this drug, which could be amazing for you, I want you to take this test, and if this test shows that you would be at risk for this, then you're not going to do it. And we remember we had doctor Sanloana a couple episodes ago and we talked about post vyseectomy pain syndrome. Again, another syndrome. We don't understand it, and we don't know who's going to get that and who isn't. And again, you take a very simple operation that six hundred plus thousand guys go through every year. The vast majority do amazingly well with it. And then every once in a while I gets this debilitating pain post vasectomy that we don't understand and we don't know. I don't know who that guy's going to be. It's just really is a roll of the dice. But I mean, thankfully, thankfully, thankfully, the dice are very loaded for a good outcome. But if you're one of those guys that suffers from it, you're one of those guys that suffers from it, and the goal for you out there listening is you're not suffering alone. There are resources and there are groups out there that can do some good. But I will say this, so one up your question Jordan and say that there are tests that if a guy comes in, and again I am not an expert in post finasteroid syndrome, please you know, find somebody that is. Although there are very few people out there that treat it. So if my office is flooded next week with guys that have this disease, I'm gonna I'm gonna work it up for you, But ultimately, just know that they're very As a urologists, there are very few things in my tool chest, but there are things that we're gonna look at. We're gonna look at a full hormone panel, right, because it does go back to the fundamentals that if if you started finasteride and you had any changes in your testoltram, maybe your testolstom is already low and it was inappropriately low for how high those DHT levels are yet at unfavorable ratio. Well, we're gonna at least look at that because I have had a little bit of success in treating guys hormonally in a couple of ways, either optimizing their testosterone or remember that other enzyme we talked about, aromatase and the estra dial pathway. There are blockers that we use mostly in male fertility to boost sperm function. But if I block eestra dial, then what do you think happens? The sink goes the other way and the drain goes down DHT. We elevate DHT levels and we see if that works. Now, what's the biggest downside to that hair loss? And so then you're back to this whole Gosh, dang it.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, I.
Speaker 2: Can't get out of this without the whole reason I went into this. In the first place, and I have treated some men, believe it or not. In fact, I'm thinking of one guy very recently who had a very low exposure to phanasteroide, and he had the effects, and yet he was willing to kind of dance a hormonal dance where he had a little bit of phnasteride side effects but able to stay on it maintain his hair by me optimizing testosterone. So again, there's not this binary world of where I have the worst symptoms of phenastoide syndrome, I have nothing going on at all. In fact, there's a spectrum where there may be an opportunity to optimize hormone balance. Let me throw someone else at there, at you. There's a guy, good friend and researcher, Erwin Goldstein, who's looked at ultrasounds of men that have purportedly have PFS, and it's seen that there are some structural changes in the penis of some guys where the DHT receptor there again is active until you know we're late in puberty, and then it shuts down. Therefore, you know your penile growth sadly for some of us, sutch down at some place where that's as good as you're going to get right whether you're nineteen or twenty two. But if those receptors are still open you hit them with an asteroide, then they may actually develop smooth muscle atrophy, which looks kind of like almost a Swiss cheese looking appearance on an ultrasound. And so there may be some data directly showing that an asteroid can be bad for penile health and development.
Speaker 3: There weren't controlled, in other.
Speaker 2: Words, they weren't blind did where you would take an ultrasound of a guy that doesn't have it and you look at that and you have to guess who's got phanasteroide syndrome and who doesn't. So it's interesting but not level one evidence. But the bottom line is again there may be anatomic issues with a very small subset of guys that take fanasteride.
Speaker 3: So then that brings us to the penis.
Speaker 2: So if I can treat a guy from some of the libido issues, the depression issues with some other kind of pharmacologic or hormonal intervention, is everything we can do to the penis. And the one thing that we haven't talked about a lot, and it does fall into this newly approved, still not amazing data of something called low intensity shockwave therapy. And I'm throwing out all kinds of terms that people are going to have to look up and we'll have episodes on it. But shockwave therapy can help decrease the amount of collagen deposition in any structure, whether it's a penis or the joint. And what that does is it allows for better smooth muscle development, because one of the signs of atrophy anywhere is increase in collagen deposition, and in the penis that looks like where the smooth muscle becomes less elastic and more fibrotic and less able to trap blood in there and give us good directions. And so shockwave actually may be a reasonable adjunct to hormonal therapy to help reverse some of the effects at PFS. So again it goes back to you're probably gonna be okay if you have even the worst of this. There are therapies out there for you. And again the goal is to find people, physicians, providers, therapists even because you are going to need therapy for this. I mean, this is a devastating psychological condition that has physical manifestations, So you need a good team around you. And again, as I said, there are support groups out there to help people find people in your area that may be able to help. But I want to leave guys with and then obviously open up to all kinds of your questions because your brain, I can tell, is going into Jordan rapid fire question mode. But the bottom line is that this for the vast majority of guys is a you know, it's a really safe, really effective medication. But if you're one of those guys that has this effect in this PFS, it can be pretty rough, you know, and so we have to acknowledge that. But again, get the help you need. It's out there and most likely, you know, it's either, if not reversible, at least treatable. So that's my soapbox is, medicine has to be individualized.
Speaker 3: We're not all the same.
Speaker 2: This is not a new phenomenon by any means, just because it's making the social media rounds now, it's been around for thirty plus years. Papers have been out since twenty twelve. But I do have to say that if a guy wants to start this, if he clicks on one of those feeds and he's able to get finasteride delivered in a nice discrete envelope to his doorstep. Then bully for that company, but make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into. And I just don't recommend this is a drug that you should be ordering online. I do think you can find a physician to have the actual conversation with in person that can really help you, you know, navigate some of the downsides, because what happens if you do have an adverse reaction and you're going through an online company, You're gonna end up in my office anyway, and by that time, you know, damage has been done that we may have been able to thwart earlier. So that is my shout out to all of us hardworking brick and mortar physicians that are that are still punching a clock and taking care of guys when we're not podcasting in our oodles of spare time.
Speaker 3: Lay it on me, brother, what you got for me?
Speaker 6: I know you just did our patented You'll probably be okay segment.
Speaker 1: So I'm not trying to be a lot of us, but I we better should we should shout lawyers on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 6: I wanted to put two points together and just explicitly ask you this we mentioned earlier. In the episode that within, you know, as little as six weeks after you stop taking the medication, a lot of the issues that you could have, a lot of the side effects will work their way out of your system.
Speaker 5: Is there a scenario where that's not the case?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, so exactly. I mean I think that then. By the way, this is one hundred percent Mills hypothesis, right, and I alluded to it earlier, But what I've noticed in all my years of practice is that the younger the guy is when he gets his first exposure to finasteroid, the more likely he is to exhibit these symptoms that may not get better. And I think it goes back to this receptor activity in DHD that we know it turns off in the penis after a certain age. We don't know what's happening in the hypothalamus in the prefrontal cortex as much, because again, those are not areas that we can study except for maybe with you know, again, this would be a great study, which nobody would ever sponsor because these are all generic drugs and and I don't think any of the DTC companies are going to want to put forward eight hundred million dollars in a study. But imagine if you did a functional MRI study where you put two guys in an MRI, one on finasteride and one not that, then one that has potentially PFS, and then you know, you give them explicit material to look at or some way to stimulate them see what lights up in the brain. And my hypothesis is that guys that have the PFS or that early exposure that DHT part of the prefrontal cortex is not going to light up as much as to be like man, whatever, you know, I'd rather have a sandwich now, And I think that probably would be the only way to really study this to know are the guys that have a much more difficult time reversing this or the guys that are going to have to relearn neuropathways. I mean, one of the great things, you know, we we we're going to have some neuroscientists on this show in the next few weeks and also some therapists that talk about changing habits and redoing neural pathways, because there is this idea of neuroplasticity where if something gets knocked out, your brain can find other ways to make those pathways connect. And so maybe that's the direction we need with these guys that have the devastating psychiatric psychological complications at PFS. But I do think the younger the exposure, the more devastating it is. Now I've seen guys older guys that and I think one in particular is a very very prominent man that has a very healthy, wonderful sex life well into his seventies, who was started by his well intentioned neurologist on fanastride because he was having difficulty with his prostate, as happens to us as we age and immediately is like a switch turned off. He lost his libido, he lost his ejaculate, and it just erected him for a little while. But again he came to me, we stopped it, we rebalanced as hormones and all faculties came back online. I think by the time you hit seventy, you have compensatory mechanisms and altered pathways, and also your exposure may be a little bit more dose responsive as opposed to irreversible from something that's happening in the brain to younger brains. But I don't know, you know, there's never been That's my hypothesis. I don't think anybody else has shared that to my knowledge, because if you try to do a PubMed search on post fnasteroid syndrome, it'll barely fill a page. You know, there's not a lot of high research and certainly no level one research on it. There's no new randomized pacefical controlled trials putting guys on it and actually targeting those questions. In the initial clinical trials I got to market, you know, the sexual side effects were just kind of me you know, they weren't really the target end goal. It was much more you know, what's your hair production and what is your prostate scores? In other words, you know, your urination improvements, all that stuff. So yeah, so I mean we need to do that study, but it's never going to get done, Jordan. I mean, you know, with NIH funding at an all time low and no company wanting to take this up, it's just going to have to be trial and error, unfortunately for the guys out there. As sad as that sounds for somebody that may be suffering from this condition, but again, don't give up hope, because we can try a lot of things before we say there's just nothing else we can do. But it's not going to be from your urologist, it's going to be from a multidisciplinary group of people that are going to have to work together or at least in tandem to figure out how to to get you back to where you're feeling some degree of yourself. Again, a lot of considerations.
Speaker 1: So I guess the ending point is maybe don't click the Instagram ad and buy it from a doctor who maybe isn't even a doctor, could.
Speaker 5: Be chut GPT just setting you stuff in the discrete box.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The other thing really bugs me about that is that that these drugs are you know, they're generic, and they're they're cheap as water, and so the whole business model of just having a telehealth visit where you know, you don't make money until you sell a drug, it just hurts a little bit. I've spoken about this before. Yeah, I've published on this in medical journals, about the fact that we lose something with this interaction. But I also understand the entrepreneurial spirit that made this country great, and so it's really a call to action for my other physicians out there to see these guys, make yourself accessible, come up with an algorithm, a pathway that you can see them and then be able to screen for these side effects and do something about it if they have it, because there's nothing probably more alone feeling and a guy out there that gets a prescription online thinking that it's going to change his life, because the guys on the sports commercials look amazing when they do whatever it is they're doing and taking and then realize they had a bad reaction.
Speaker 3: And what do you do. You don't go to the er.
Speaker 2: What do you call your primary doc and say, hey, by the way, I mean, you know, no judgment zone. I would say, yeah, you know, even if guys, you know, I have made a career out of taking care of guys that do things that they wish they hadn't. But we can still, you know, salvage a pretty down good life if we figure out how to break it down into the fundamentals and so so, yeah, don't give up, hope, And if you click on it, just know that this could be one of the bad side effects. Wow, dude, this was heavy.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, yeah, that's got a lot heavier than long luscious hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it's important, I think is you know, there's a lot of times to have fun and make light of things. And I think this is one of these things that almost is more of a I don't want to use the word political, but at least something, oh Corona, that I had to talk about to say, look, you know what this is out there. You need to be armed as a consumer and as a patient with the knowledge that you can make really good healthcare decisions when sometimes you're not even having your doctor in the room to make those decisions for you or with you. And I think I think that's the TAKEO message, and that makes it worth it. I do. I'm not discouraging anybody out there from seeking treatment to keep that beautiful head of hair as long as you can, and seek alternatives too if you can as well. I mean, again, we meet people where they're at, and that's the goal of this whole venture in my practice as well as my podcast, is to meet guys where they're at, not be judgmental, figure out a solution that works for everybody, and deliver and deliver on the mail room an offline.
Speaker 5: I gotta ask you, what do you use here? Looks great?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't know. I have a guy for that. I can't remember. Honestly, it's a well, let me see. Well, we'll look at sponsorship for us. You know, that's right. Yeah, yeah, brill cream just to dabble, do you. You know, the girls will flock right to you. I don't even think brill Cream's on the market anymore. But by Talus talents, by Talas. Yeah, that in a and then a Burma shave, you know those are That's what I that's my go to.
Speaker 5: We're gonna be sponsored purely by companies that no longer exist.
Speaker 2: That's right, You're dang right, and I'm proud of it. That keeps it real too much fun. Well, all right, we we did it and uh and really I I hope everybody out there got a little bit of some out of this. That that if you're a guy or loves a guy, that's that that is having issues either with reactions to an asteroid ditasteride, or are interested in hair restoration. There's lots and lots of resources out there for you. Just vet them first, man, just like anything else. If it's too good to be true, damn it, it's too good to be true. Jordan Man, I'll see you next time.
Speaker 5: Brother, Doctor Milsey delivered, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 7: Hell yeah, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about him, the hero. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about him, a man hero.
Speaker 7: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: The mail Room with Doctor Jesse Mills was a production of iHeartRadio. It was executive produced by Jordan Runthog. It was edited, mixed, and mastered by Beheid Fraser, and the theme was provided by long Transit. If you liked what you heard, please subscribe and leave a review. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. This program is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your healthcare provider for any medical or other related questions or concerns. The views and discussions aired on this podcast are those of doctor Mills and do not represent the official positions of UCLA or UCLA Health