Speaker 1: Back in twenty twenty, when the TV show ted Lasso premiered, I was hooked, and I especially remember that a few episodes in a new character showed up an energetic, super optimistic footballer from Guaala Lajara, Mexico. I remember him because I was sure that either he was or had been a soccer player in real life. I don't know. There was just something about the way he moved with the ball, his speed. Hey you, hey, I'm from just thank you for opportunity.
Speaker 2: You're a spirit fellaw Danny. He's going out there and you get the striped spot for it.
Speaker 3: Just like that, you say, I do it, coach, ply die.
Speaker 2: With ted Lasso.
Speaker 3: The main reason why I got the role is because of my football soccer skills.
Speaker 1: Growing up, Cristo Fernandez dreamed of being a professional football player, trained and planned because soccer was his life, but getting there wouldn't be so linear. Turns out it was acting that would eventually lead him to playing professionally.
Speaker 3: It's also a reminder that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes you think, why is this happening to me? Is the worst of the worst, But I mean I could have kept going, maybe without the injuries, maybe I would have ended up playing Whatatemala or in another second division in Mexico. But turns out there was a bigger blessing for me and ted Lasso was that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was my first professional acting job.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy to think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is crazy that, like, your first.
Speaker 1: Big role is in such a huge show and a show that brings together who you are as a person, your soccer skills and your acting skills. Like it feels like a total trifecta.
Speaker 2: It's a dream come true, like I could have never Yes.
Speaker 1: From Futuro Studios am Fernande Chavarri and This is American Football, a show about soccer culture in the US and its underdog roots ted Lasso. The hit Apple TV show was co created by its main character, comedian Jason Sideikis, and some might say that it helped popularize the sport of soccer in the United States. He plays an American football coach as in NFL Football, who moves to the UK and runs an English soccer team AFC Richmond. And the thing about it is this show came out in twenty twenty during a frightening uncertain time full of death and doom scrolling. This is peak pandemic. Ted Lasso provided the world with a perfect easy comfort watch full of humor, positive, unlovable characters the people were craving. Cristo plays one of those lovable characters, named Danny Rojas, a Mexican guy for whom, in true Latin American fashion, football is life.
Speaker 2: Football is life.
Speaker 3: When we were shooting Season one, I came and did my scenes for the first time, and then I said, football is live. And then some of my castmates were like, I have a feeling. Everyone's gonna tell you football is life a lot. And then there everyone left, and then Jason was there with his mustache and was like, well, better to be known for football is life than are you the murder from CESI, New York.
Speaker 2: And I was like, ah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 3: And when people approached me, like I'm lucky enough that I'm known for positive things.
Speaker 2: Football is live. No no no no no no no no.
Speaker 3: No no no. Danny Rojas is a Mexican football soccer player from guall A Llajara, Jalisco, Mexico.
Speaker 1: Just like me, The fictional character of Danny Rojas was all smiles, radiating positivity as he parachuted into the UK. How much did you influence how the character became everything?
Speaker 2: That's why Dannie Rochas and I are the same guy.
Speaker 1: Tell me more, Tell me more.
Speaker 3: Initially, Dannie Rochas was the ahole egocentric dude from the team.
Speaker 1: Here's a clip from Christo's audition from that version of Danny Rojas.
Speaker 2: Danny, can I ask you something? It's ry kilos, mate.
Speaker 3: I do three cents of ten, then I do a forty five second one arm plant.
Speaker 2: While I use my other hand for the gram. Then I do twenty five kilos for my Bodes and Trice.
Speaker 3: Turns out they really loved my audition as the egocentric but they thought of something different for me and they made Danny Rojas the charismatic dude. All the roles we all actors influentiate them. The characters are based on us as the actors. Because at the beginning, Dannie Rochas was just joyful and there's lots of energy.
Speaker 4: The product you must like to get into business with is joy.
Speaker 2: See mucho mucho joy.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I can get you paid for that, though.
Speaker 2: I like to give away joy for free.
Speaker 3: But then in season three. He also showed that competitive aspect.
Speaker 2: Congrats bro, I am not your bro.
Speaker 3: We are no enemies which I relate to, and so that's why I say that we're the same guy. My mother always said that Christoval only breathes, sleeps things, speaks football soccer and like many young kids in Mexico.
Speaker 1: But also some of this might have to do with Cristo's excessive amount of energy.
Speaker 3: My Grandmammy used to take care a lot of me, and apparently because I was very hyperactive, she told me, come, let's go and kick and I started to kick it and that was it for me. I fell in love with the ball and from there on that was my favorite sports. And I did the school for football soccer, then the forsas Vaska's we say in Mexico, and then I started professionally when I was fifteen in Gua Allajara in Tecos.
Speaker 1: And even though his parents were a little wary of his dreams to become a professional soccer player, Cristo says they were supportive of his passion.
Speaker 3: They've always seen how determined, how when I say something, I just go and do it. They've always seen how much I give of myself to whatever I say. So high school, I did it at night and kept playing once twice per day, and then didn't study university for almost two years.
Speaker 1: In those two gap years, Cristo could focus on playing soccer and give the sport all his attention. At least that was the plan. But see, there was this music school near his house that he would pass by on his way to soccer practice, and Cristo says he got a little curious, so he started taking classes to learn how to play guitar, piano and how to sing. His teammates thought it was a little weird. Cristo told him it was just a way to kill time and burn off some of that extra energy he's always had. But it was definitely more than that. An artistic side of him that he'd had since he was a child began to come out.
Speaker 3: That was the little artist book that I think I started without knowing.
Speaker 2: And my sister says that I've.
Speaker 3: Always been crazy, like always speaking and making up stories since we were kids and playing.
Speaker 1: And while he was loving his time at the music school, he was going hard on training on the field because football was still his big goal. But just as his professional career was lifting off, his ambitions were derailed. It happened in a training session before his profess debut. Christo says he ran down the field and was so focused on defending the ball that he collided with three teammates, falling to the ground and momentarily passing out. When he came to and tried to stand, he couldn't keep his balance. He had torn his meniscus and lost cartilage in his left knee. The injury was so bad it cost him his first division contract at nineteen years old.
Speaker 3: I had to make sistential prices when I realized things didn't go the way I want. But more than the injuries, it was my mentality. I didn't see myself good enough or great enough, and those insecurities I think those were the ones that define me and ended up giving me those injury moments more than the actual injuries.
Speaker 1: After the break, as one dream vanishes, another one comes true.
Speaker 3: I ended up in Guilford, which is a little town outside London, and there were no Latinos at all.
Speaker 2: Probably just want.
Speaker 1: To know the one place in the UK where there were no Mexicans. That's where you're like, that's where I'm want to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: It's American Football. I'm Fernando Charvai. After his injuries, Cristo was heartbroken and at a real crossroads in life. The thing he had been pursuing since he was a kid now felt like an impossibility. Cristo's parents pleaded with him to go to college and study something anything.
Speaker 3: So I started communication because in my head I thought that was an easy career, and because some people told me, you see films, and I thought like, I'm gonna watch films.
Speaker 1: Turned out he had to do a lot more work than just watch films. But anyway, as he was going to college in his hometown of Wallajata, he did continue to play soccer as a hobby.
Speaker 3: And one day I helped someone with some student films and they told me, ah, can you help me with another one?
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh yeah, cool, Yes, I liked this.
Speaker 3: And then I started helping everybody with their student films aside from doing my own. And that's how I became like the actor guy that helps.
Speaker 1: That's how I became the actor guy.
Speaker 2: I love that. Okay.
Speaker 1: So he's twenty two now and his injuries have healed. He says he likes going to college but still has a nagging what if in his mind, what if he were to make soccer more than a hobby again. So he paused school for about a year to play semi professionally for Guayama FC in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 2: And I gave everything.
Speaker 3: That's the first time I pushed myself to get out of my comfort zone, to get out of Guadallahara, my beloved to Galla.
Speaker 1: And the team did okay enough to almost qualify for the concac CAF Champions League, but once again things didn't go as planned.
Speaker 3: If we had won, I could have gone to another tournament that then could have given me other opportunities. But we've lost, and I was like, this is it? Like I just gave football soccer.
Speaker 2: A lot, and I'm not doing it anymore.
Speaker 3: It's too painful. I cannot be here all the time. For those out there, like who watched Ted Lasso, I relate a lot with the Roy Kent storyline where he finishes his career, But then what's afterwards?
Speaker 2: What's after football soccer? Right?
Speaker 4: Roy Kent's been the best player on every time he's been on since he was a kid. I lot being Roy Kent. I don't know if I can handle just being some loser has been called Roy just the game to me, so I've ever known who I am. It's all liab.
Speaker 1: For Cristo, what came after soccer was finishing college and then freaking out his parents yet again by telling them that he now wanted to pursue another long shot career.
Speaker 3: I'm grateful I discovered something that I love, but also that gave my parents another heart attack, because then I don't want I'm not going to play fools.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine, and then we're like, oh, thank god.
Speaker 3: But now that I'm studying communication, I realized I want to be an actor. And they we're like, oh, yes, ideas me, Christo.
Speaker 2: All these kids.
Speaker 3: But my dad told me intelligently, do whatever you want to do if you want to be an actor. Okay, Cristo, but just get out of here and study. And I was like, okay.
Speaker 1: Cristo says he worked in restaurants, he did some photography work, and even did about a two year stint as a life insurance salesman to save enough money to go to acting school.
Speaker 3: I always say that I don't know if I'm talented enough in anything I do. And I don't care. That's for people to the side. But I am a hard worker man because that's what my parents taught me. And I was brave enough to get out of my comfort zone.
Speaker 1: And what's more, out of the comfort zone of what Alajara, Mexico. The Guildford School of Acting in Surrey, England.
Speaker 3: So I went abroad, didn't know anyone. The weather was horrible, food is not great. I ended up in Guildford, which is a little town outside London, and there were no Latinos. I all probably just want.
Speaker 1: The one place in the UK where there were no Mexicans. That's where you like, That's where I'm going to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But that pushed me in every single way to just give my best and the fact that I saved so much money and my parents sold a car and helped me with that too, and I put all of my savings and for me, it was like I have to give my best shot, give everything for this crazy dream.
Speaker 1: Christal graduated in twenty eighteen. He didn't have a work visa though, so he had to leave and come back to the UK every six months. He worked under the table at a Mexican restaurant and in his spare time, he shot short films with borrowed equipment from the school and went on additions.
Speaker 3: I actually almost got a role in the Royal Shakespeare Company in the UK, but the only reason why I didn't get it at the end was because I didn't have a work visit.
Speaker 1: But he still felt like the UK was where he had the best chance of success, and he was right because serendipitously, he saw casting call for a show being shot in the UK that just so happened to be about his other favorite thing in the world.
Speaker 3: Soccer, Dannie Rogus is for me, it's a reminder of always remember the good things, because even if you're doing the things you loved the most in life, sometimes you can get stressed. But Dannie Rojas loves football. For him, football his life, and sometimes football you never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: It can be a bit hectic.
Speaker 3: You sacrifice so many things, but it's always good to remind yourself why you're doing these things.
Speaker 2: Are you doing it for your family? Are you doing it because you love it?
Speaker 3: And for me, I'm grateful that I got chosen for this big show that became so successful, but that meant so much for so many people. The fact that I can play a Mexican Latino and that really represents me because in what a lahare. If you go at my mom's house, my mom will cook for you and tell you I see that day and let me give you food and drinks and make you feel at home.
Speaker 2: And that's Danny Rogue has too.
Speaker 3: And one time I was at a coffee shop and someone just grabbed my shoulder and I was like, oh my god, and then grab my hand and I was like, oh my god, and then started to cry and tell me with tears how much Danny Roe hasn't at last on Football is Life And like that hit me and that became a reminder that whatever we do in life, it can mean so much to someone, and you don't know how much you can impact someone's life.
Speaker 1: After the break, fiction becomes reality. It's American football and Fernande Charvalis. So far, there have been three seasons of Ted Larsa, with the third one ending in May twenty three, and after that season wrapped, Cristo started thinking about soccer again outside of a TV show. Because not only was Ted Lasso a blessing for his acting career, it reignited his passion for his first love football.
Speaker 3: As things kept going and I was fulfilling dreams as a football soccer player without being a football soccer player. So sometimes people were like, ah, but can you actually play?
Speaker 2: Do you actually play? Do you really play? And maybe they were.
Speaker 3: Not saying it with bad intentions, but that kind of like hit me and stayed on me. And I love challenges. I cannot be relaxed and quiet. I'm very hyperactive.
Speaker 1: I guess you're still that kid that needed to be kicking that ball from you, Abuela.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that played with Maya Wilita Mami.
Speaker 1: So for two years now, in his early thirties, he's quietly putting his head down and training like a pro. What he wants is to actually become a pro when he finally lifts his head and starts telling people his plans.
Speaker 3: Even my dad was like, Cristoval, please don't like see how far you've gotten in with this crazier dream and now you're going back to that.
Speaker 1: But they know that once he sets his mind on something, there's no changing it.
Speaker 3: I explained my dad how much this dream means to me, and he understood and he believed in me, and he told me, Okay, if there's someone who can do this, it's you. And last year, unfortunately my dad passed away in December. Oh Crystal, but became an inspiration for me and I know he's watching and supporting me, and my mom also in Guadalajare is supporting me.
Speaker 1: By twenty twenty six, Cristo felt like he was ready and he started training with Chicago Fire Too, the reserve team of the MLS club Chicago Fire, before moving to Texas to train with the MLS team El Paso Locomotive and after a two month trial period with that club and Passo Locomotive has signed a new player who we are all too familiar with, Christoph Fernandez, known best for his character Danny Rojas in Tadlas.
Speaker 4: So don't just play.
Speaker 1: A professional soccer player on TV, No, he is a professional soccer player after signing a contract.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a full circle moment and I'm grateful with the coaches and my teammates, especially because since day one they let me compete. It's been a process adapting myself to the game again, the rhythm. But it's a long season, so I invite people to come to bring people in family.
Speaker 1: Can I come to a game. Oh please, Yes, I'm getting that vibe from the character like meeting you. Now that this is a true, genuine version of you. How do you put yourself in that mindset? And how do you find the good and the positive and keep yourself in that way?
Speaker 3: It's easier to go on the root of just not putting that positive energy out there. I always try to put myself in someone else's shoe, and life is tough and life can be hard, but also being kind to other people actually opens you doors.
Speaker 2: It actually does.
Speaker 3: What has given me opportunities was to put myself in places where I am an outsider, but I embrace who I am. I am very very Mexican, yes, and I say Grassias. And when someone helps me, someone is good to you, you in good to them. And then even hearing a past locomotive, I'm grateful they see some football soccer talent in me. But I also think that they see a nice person because if I was ahole, wouldn't yeah give me an opportunity in saying in TEDLASO if I could have done an amazing acting job, but if I was not a good person, they wouldn't have given me the role And that's for anything in life.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, thank you so much for your time, Cristo Fernandez, such a pleasure to speak with you, much as folm is Fernande. American Football is produced by Futuro Studios in collaboration with Iheart's Michael Dura podcast network. I'm your host Fernando Charvari. This episode was produced by Levi Sharp. It was edited by me and our senior editor, Rebecca Barra. She also did the fact checking. Mixing by Brandon Grugel at Multitude Productions, legal review by Jonathan Fisher at Fisher Legal Arts. Victoria Strada is our production manager Andrescavagero is also part of our team. Our executive produce are Marlon Bishop and Maria Garcia at Puturo Studios. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomes and Arlene Santana. Puturo Media was founded by Maria Nohosa. You can listen to more episodes on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts. And if you like our show, please don't forget to give us a rating or a review or just tell other people about it. Yeah, thanks for listening.