Speaker 1: This is the Patriots postgame Show, First to the Zo touchdown.
Speaker 2: Patriotic with Hardy, Mike Deso and Paul Pirillo is your source for all the news and information following every Patriots game.
Speaker 1: Hand off the Stevenson On's It Left Bighole Comes the party, cuts left the forty five at steam rolls the Defender There.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation by calling the ACE Ticket hotline at eight five five Pats five hundred, or email this show at web radio at Patriots dot com.
Speaker 3: I hope y'all keep that same energy for tonight.
Speaker 1: Baby can't wait.
Speaker 2: Live from our studios inside you Lette Stadium. Here's Hardy slipping and sliding.
Speaker 1: He was like a cat popular fang. All right, don we begin the Patriots postgame Show.
Speaker 3: After the Patriots and Packers game was called with ten minutes and change left in the fourth quarter, after Isaiah and suffered an on field injury. He was immobilized. He was taking off the field on a stretcher. He was carted off the field and both teams officials ever won Agreen and we were talking about it here in the studio as it was happening, and like one of they're just gonna call this game seemed like the right thing to do. They did it pretty quickly, and now just everybody's thinking for hoping for and praying for Isaiah Bolden as we can only hope, Mike that things are going to be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just jarring.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think they did the right thing suspending the game. I mean that was kind of on all of our minds is as he was lying motionless on the field for a while. They kept coming back from commercials. So disappointing, you know, how it all went down.
Speaker 1: It's just sad. You know, I think we're all a bit jarred.
Speaker 4: You're sitting here trying to analyze football and come away with takeaways and right things, and now it's none of that really obviously matters. We just are, you know, hoping that Isaiah Bolden is is is going to be okay. So hopefully there'll be some kind of update soon that I know. On the broadcast they were saying that they they appeared to see some movement, so that's that's a good sign. But you know, with the demor Hamlin situation last year, the health and safety of the players is at the forefront of everybody's mind and it's it's it's kind of hard to really talk.
Speaker 1: About football or anything like that at the moment.
Speaker 4: So I don't know, maybe we'll ease our way into a little bit of that, but at the moment, and it's it's all about Isaiah Bolden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rookie cornerback Isaiah Bolden. If you if you were not watching or listening to the game, and again, we're not gonna we're not going to show footage of it, and I don't think there's a lot to see any way on the play. It looks like he appeared to take a hit to the head from a from a teammate on what was a completed pass to a Packers receiver, And it's just one of those things where it looks like any other football play and you hope that you know, I I guess best case scenario would be that it was just something something that he sustained on that play and maybe was knocked unconscious for a time. He you know, he didn't appear to be moving when he was down on the field. But then as as you just said, Mike, and as as or I'm reading here on Twitter, you know you're talking.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get updates here too.
Speaker 3: Uh, it did appear that he was moving or there was you know, his feet were moving, or there was something going on. Obviously they're going to be super super careful with moving him in that situation. And I guess that would be the hope right now that it was you know, something that that you know, maybe he was unconscious for a moment after after the play or for a few moments after the play. But you know, any any talk about the game, which we'll get into eventually, just know that that's what we're thinking about. That's what I think everybody is thinking about, hoping for, praying for that he's gonna be okay. And you know, the rest of this is rather inconsequential. And I now we sit here and talk about it, like I wonder if they're gonna call it again.
Speaker 1: Of course they did. You know, it's it's just it's the right thing to do preseason game or not. That's it.
Speaker 3: You've got a player who's down and is you know, obviously in some in a very serious situation. All right, let's stop this, let's go.
Speaker 1: So that's what they did.
Speaker 5: I think that made that made all the sense in the world at that point. And yeah, I mean it's it's it's impossible to speculate. We all saw, you know, the pitchers. I think, you know, told everybody didn't really get a chance to see the play again just are live.
Speaker 1: I don't think we ever got to got to replay.
Speaker 5: But yeah, and it's you could see the the way the players reacted, you know, that's that's always to me my tip off. And immediately when he went down, players from both teams were frantically waving in medical personnel. So I think you guys said everything that needs to be said. All we can do is hope that that Isaiah Bolden's going to be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 4: I mean I did see a couple of replays just uh on Twitter. I mean it's just you know, kind of a crossing collision, and you know, yeah, it looked like I think it was Calvin.
Speaker 1: Munson, you know who was. I thought it might have been him based on his reaction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and uh, you know, Bolden was It almost looked like he had turned a little bit and and it just looked like he got swiped, you know, on the side of that. I don't want to speculate too much, but it was a quick, quick, bang bang kind of situation.
Speaker 3: No, and I think we I think we learned, you know, the the following that and trying to you know, we everybody looked at the Damar Hammond Hamlin.
Speaker 1: Play over and over again. You know what happened, when happened? What do we know? We don't know.
Speaker 3: Something, something obviously very serious happened to Isaiah Bolden in that moment, in that instant and when he was when he was down motionless on the field. And as as you said, Paul, when the players from both teams immediately stop and gather, they know because they're close to the action, that there's something serious taking place, something serious going on. We can only hope that it resolves itself and we get some good news here soon, and we will very much stay on top of it, and you know, with with the people that we have in Green Bay, letting you know, as soon as we find something out and good news is what we're waiting for right now, which.
Speaker 1: Is hopefully something that we can and I think we can.
Speaker 5: You know, obviously, that's the story tonight, is Isaiah Bolden, and obviously that's first and foremost on everybody's mind. But I do think we can, you know, sort of move forward and talk about the game. We'll do a you know, a good good and the bads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and obviously it's it's with a different kind of you know, especially for me.
Speaker 5: You know, probably not gonna get a lot of snark tonight, but just in general, probably a different tenor to our tone and whatnot. But I do think there were some good and bad things tonight that we, you know, should probably get into.
Speaker 3: I think we can even skip the good, the bad and the injured intro just because I don't know, it just doesn't feel like that.
Speaker 1: Type of a mood right now. But let's start.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's start with some stuff on the good list here, and as I I'll keep reiterating, as soon as we find out something about yeah, about Isaiah Bolden.
Speaker 1: Will let you know, we have our phones open.
Speaker 5: Everybody's sort of looking and see if we can hear anything from from our people that are actually at Lambeau.
Speaker 3: But in terms of good things that happened on the field tonight, before that happened, Mike, you want to lead us off.
Speaker 4: Here, Yeah, I thought, uh, I'll start with Kendrick Bourne. I mean I thought, uh, you know, a couple a couple of nice catches went up and got one. Just the kind of performance haven't really seen from Bourn top of my list, you know, in a while. You know, I love the catch he went up and got it. I love the little one on the sidelines as well. So, uh, you know, he didn't he didn't play a ton of snaps, but I thought he was, Uh, he was really active in a way that I haven't seen in a while. So you know, it's just a guy with positive energy getting a quality night. I think that'll be uh, that'll be a nice boost for for Kendrick Borne. Hopefully there is nice, nice little grab right there.
Speaker 3: I tell you what the the elevated catch. Uh, that's something that I don't know. Is that something that we can expect to see more of? Is that something you want to rely on?
Speaker 5: Is that something that is the only thing I mean this is I guess might qualify as snark and I'm not meaning it to be the only thing I liked about that play was the result, right, Like that's what okay? Like I thought that you know, the throw was high. Bourne does a great job of going to get it. But I'd rather not see I'd rather not see those kinds of plays. Those are the ones that you worry about, you know, big hits coming and whatnot. But I agree a thousand percent with with Mike. I thought Born on that first drive, you know, I my key to the game was I wanted to see a little offensive rhythm. I'm not sure I got it, but Born on that drive, the second and eleven slant this play right here, that that sets you up. You know, I would have liked to have see Listen, I'm I'm nitpicking. I would have liked to have seen it be a little bit crisper on a twenty yard drive than it was. But I really liked I really liked that slant from Born. And that's obviously they threw a ton of slants tonight, So I think it's safe to say that that's something Billy O'Brien wants to put in the in the playbook.
Speaker 3: We just saw the play right there, the elevated reception there. It's you know, you say, that's the type of play where you can get injured. Obviously that's the worst thing that can happen. There's a ton of other bad things.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, those are the ones that have end up in deflected interceptions, which is really more what I'm talking about. A guy goes up, it goes off his hands, easy pick for the safety way away in the back.
Speaker 1: So I agree with Mike. My first one is gonna be Mac himself.
Speaker 5: I thought I thought Mac wasn't great, but I thought he looked more like rookie year Mac tonight than he did last year. And I don't have a lot to quantify, you know. It was six for nine fifty two yards. It was a little choppy, but I thought his poise in the pocket was better tonight than what I remember it last year for most of the season. Maybe I'm looking at this with rose colored glasses a little bit, but I thought that I thought he resembled his rookie year self more so than than he did last year. And I thought they had some good third down conversions, you know, not a ton, not a ton of offense. I mean, I think they had like one hundred and twenty eight yards in the first half, so it wasn't a ton, but I thought there were signs there of better things to come.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: My first good of the night was the Patriots to capitalize on that penalty in the end zone and actually score. We were talking about it as we were watching Douce and I along with Tamara and Matt and Matt here because Paul of course is off in the BOP's Discount Furniture studio, you know, doing your thing called upon for television duty. But you know, Douce and I were talking about it's like, you know, that's that's a Patriots you know conversion right there. You know, you capitalize on a on a couple of things, kind.
Speaker 1: Of bought snap, you know, Like I mean, it was a little taste of last year, Like do.
Speaker 5: You understand what I'm saying that? Like what was the drive officially? Like twenty two yards? I'll tell you right, so, and I would feel like if it starts, it starts with the fumble recovery.
Speaker 1: Five yards twenty one, yeah, five place twenty and it's not surgic when it felt better if it was just you know, six yards five yards, four yards, eight yards, four yard touchdown run. Right, it was kind of a pick three. It was kind of a hardy pick three.
Speaker 3: But the fact is when you get gifted a couple of things and look that you know, the the botch snap is one thing. You got to recover the fumble, right, and then when you do get that penalty down inside in your first and goal. I was just thankful that it didn't.
Speaker 5: Take two or three plays from there to punch the ball and it would first much definitely about that. If the fade to Parker was a touchdown me I would too, okay, But I also at this stage, especially preseason, you're still working on things and you don't know what the offense is going to be. I mean, would it have shocked you if the Patriots came away from that, especially before the penalty, with only a field goal, And.
Speaker 1: It was just that's what I said, looking at it a lot different, okay, But it wasn't zone.
Speaker 5: We'd be looking at it differently and we wouldn't be all that surprised. It's like, well, you know, it's still a work in progress.
Speaker 3: They didn't have to settle for that. They took advantage of the things that fell their way. It went down as my first good of the night, it really yeah, yeah, and a little.
Speaker 4: Bit kind of connected to Paul as My next one is Remondra Stevenson. You know, mostly just for that one run. But I thought on that run and I probably got to go back and look on it, but it felt like Mac audible to that.
Speaker 1: The long run. Yeah, yeah, he did absolutely, So you know, I think that I don't know how long it was, but twenty three yards good run, but good run.
Speaker 5: You know it wasn't you know again, it wasn't like it wasn't like a whole you know, just got blown open and he made a nice cut and then I thought he accelerated through.
Speaker 1: It's right here, just a good run. Yeah, I just victed Ramondra. I thought he looked good.
Speaker 4: I'm going to kind of use that as a platform though, to to just talk a little bit about Mac, because what you're saying, Paul is kind of what I felt a little bit in that first practice where he just looks a little bit more in command, a little bit more sure of what's going on. It hasn't you know, he didn't light the world up tonight, but he looked like he's recognizing what's coming at him. He's, you know, got the confidence to change to a run. And and I think that that was, you know, an example of a play where you know, it's Mac, it's all, it's the whole offense kind of clicking together.
Speaker 1: So I give him andre than nod. But but I think that that was as much connected to Macus as anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I liked the including that that Stevenson run and that, you know, the goal line run was not a walk in either. It was a tough, tough, hard fought run. I'm gonna go with Jalen Mills as well, who I thought was really active and quite honestly, I didn't love much of the other stuff I saw defensively too, but I thought he was pretty active. I thought he was around the ball a little bit. I thought he was, you know, his feisty self is, you know, always got something to say. I thought he was pretty active, and he made a play. They ended up not mattering because they got the first down on the next play, but he made an unbelievable tackle on a like a I think it was like third and two, and it didn't seem like it was possible to stop it short of the first down, and he did made a great tackle to prevent the first down. So I thought he was pretty active in this game tonight, and I didn't really think many other defensive players were, so he stood out to me.
Speaker 1: What else he got good stuff tonight? Mike, I was starting to get down to the bottom of the barrel here probably J Taylor. Yeah, that's that's a good one. You want to Yeah, he's out, you're taking Yeah again, this is good. He's this is what he does. What he does preseason electric little August August, second half, second third stringers, he's he's ready to go, and you know he's just you wonder at what point is uh is it going to translate ever to an actual real game and and you know, consistent production uh in the NFL. But you know, every time he gets in there, I mean it's it's funny because I remember when he was like a potential undrafted free agent and just saying, you know, look, I don't have high hosts, but he'd be a lot of fun to watch in the preseason. And you know, here we are, three four seasons later, we're still watching JJ Taylor dance around the preseason football field. So yeah, that's a fun I appreciate Hardy for feeding me that one, though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought he showed a little uh look, JJ Taylor wiggle. I don't think there's another running back that they have that as that. Yeah, I mean, I don't know if it translates to a job, but yeah, he does have a skill that's the thing that the other guys in that backfield don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, four carries for twenty nine yards. He had three catches for another twenty seven So okay, yeah that's three.
Speaker 1: That's a good that's a good inclusion.
Speaker 3: Hardy, show me, show me a little something there, and it's enough to keep things moving there and and and provide a little bit of a spark in it, you know late in the game where you're wondering, it's like, well is this it?
Speaker 1: Is this all that they have?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 3: They got a few other things there. I don't know if it's going to translate anything into the regular season, but that's you know, when you're called upon to do something in a game like this at that time, you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Do it or not. He did it, well, they'll put him on the good list. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I'm also going to put Kashawan Boodie on the good list. Yeah, I got him, just be more so than tonight. I think that that's what you want to see from your young guys, like a sending player. I think he's been coming on a little bit. The last handful of camp practices that we saw in Foxborough, a lot of people talked about what he did in the first day of the joint practices, and he gets an opportunity to hit that slant. Now that, like I said, the Patriots threw a lot of these tonight. He you know, obviously he takes advantage of a bad angle by the safety there, but you know, you saw some of the lsu explosiveness, you know, with the ball in his hands after the catch, no one was catching him.
Speaker 1: That's what he did at college. I mean, this looked like the kind of place he had there. So yeah, so he called my good list. Yeah he born.
Speaker 3: Douglas Adam is a nice third down conversion early on in the game.
Speaker 5: Tell you what I really liked about that particular play is and Zoe talked about this a little bit on on the broadcast, sort of read the coverage and sat in like, I'm not positive that the way we talked about on the broadcast is right, but it kind of looked like they recognized the coverage and threw it back, you know, like behind him, almost back shoulder on purpose. And the important thing for Douglas is to recognize that. And you know that was that was that was a nice conversion. That was like a third and ten.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, third and ten. I mean it's just like confidence, you know.
Speaker 5: I think for Mac you know, young receiver that's those are the kind of plays that makes those to me, like he sits there now on first blush, you can look as it's a bad throw.
Speaker 1: It's behind him. He's supposed to put it on him there. You don't want to lead him because you lead him and you're gonna get him lit up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, we have a statement from the Patriots in Isaiah Bolden. Patriots cornerback Isaiah Bolden sustained an injury during the fourth quarter of tonight's game. He had feeling in all his extremities, but has been taken to a local hospital for further tests and observation.
Speaker 5: I think that's probably about as good as you could hope for. That's a statement, guess at this hour.
Speaker 3: Yep, good, fine, Okay, Well, we'll take it as we can get it, and of course we want the all clear. That's not going to happen right away now they're going to check them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just I mean, I think at this point you start with DeMar Hamlin, all right, his heart didn't stop apparently, and he's you know, hopefully not paralyzed, and those are you know, the two biggest things to start with, and you know, hopefully he's able to begin a road to recovery.
Speaker 1: But just yeah, good to hear that.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, So I don't know that we're going to get any more officially uh tonight, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know, I think you guys are right. I think that's that's about as good as you could hope for right now. I would say, just you know, continuing some of these good things that I saw tonight, I think you could put Zappi in both categories. I thought he was a little reckless, but he made some place he's a gamer that he's a gamer. And the other thing that it really stuck out to me was I thought their coverage tonight and special teams was really good. You know, Chris Board. Now they had some penalties and specialtim Chris Board, Brendan's school, or some punt returns. I look like they had some room, they had some space to operate. They weren't really able to generate a whole lot, not without penalties anyway. So those are a couple of things that I had scribbled down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm kind of down to plays now myself, you know, maybe just a couple stick taps, Asho would say in hockey fork for Miles Bryant, nice past breakup.
Speaker 1: On third and four, excellent third down cut, really good third down. I want to give one thank you. Uh I also another another third down pass break up for Rodney Randall. That that third and eight that that I liked, and I got that you would have to make fun of my hot Rodney Randall him, and uh yeah, there's just those two plays specifically.
Speaker 4: I thought we're good coverage, and especially two guys who you know, have certainly been been picked on a little bit here the last couple of weeks. So nice play by Miles and a nice play for Rodney Randall there, right, writing coverage and you know, avoiding getting a penalty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's get to some of the bads.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, let me let me just lead us off, because I like to go chronologically with how I kind of keep track of these things. That the first one I had on the night was after that turnover, the false start by Trent Brown. I mean, I'm just it's it's exactly what you don't want.
Speaker 1: To see in a preseason game.
Speaker 3: It's like, it doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to be flawless, eye popping execution on offense. How about when when you when you get the ball and it's okay, here's here you go, it's your first play from scrimmage, what are we gonna do? The guy that everyone's is saying, it's like, oh, you kinda have Trent Brown in there and engaged and playing and playing his game both mentally and physically.
Speaker 1: And it's the false start that you know.
Speaker 3: On the broadcast, I think they said, any official in the league is going to call that. It's glaring, it's obvious, it's right there. And that's just after a whole season, you got away with it everything.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say. I was like, I'm like, that's what he did all last year, Like how many times he literally did that college they didn't call it. I couldn't believe it. And when they started off.
Speaker 3: With that, there were a handful of times I remember last year and I was saying like, wow, I can't believe they didn't catch that.
Speaker 1: But I mean it was this one tonight. It's like, there's no way he's thinking I can I can keep playing like that. And get away with it. I mean this one might have been a little bit more egregious than the ones last. Yeah, it's just unbelieve, but it's still him.
Speaker 4: And I don't know what it says about, like if he feels that he doesn't have the speed to get out there or what. But either way, they took him out of the game because there he's I mean, they got Bill Murray playing tackle now, their tackle depth is so thin that this guy who's already you know, jumping off you know, false starting first play of the series of the game, like.
Speaker 1: They got to put him in ice, Like they can't afford to lose.
Speaker 5: Him, so they I totally agree with you, Hardy on that one. I had him high on my list, and yeah, you couldn't play him as long as you played the rest of the starters.
Speaker 1: You couldn't bear to lose him right now.
Speaker 5: I mean he played a lot of snaps and the joint practices. You would have thought he would have been able to at least stay out there for the I think it was fifty I have mac for sixteen snaps plus two penalties, and he couldn't make it all the way.
Speaker 1: Because the last of those sixteen snaps. He's going to show up later in.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, So I just wanted to get that off my chest before we start talking about either of the MAC or more micro.
Speaker 1: But that's I mean, that was first. But Deuce, you want to you want to take it? Next? Run defense, Run defense. Holy I had that at the top of the list just based on the handful of plays before the bad snap. Yeah. Yeah, I was like, what is going on here? All the starters are out there, what are we doing? I mean, you know, Gotshaw getting pushed around.
Speaker 4: I mean, turnt like it's it's I mean, part of it is, you know, preseason and YadA, YadA, YadA. But still, I mean, it was it was all game. On the touchdown, I think was Zuchain Bledsoe got kind of pinned inside. It's just I mean, I think even Bill addressed it before halftime. I think that was like one thing that even brought up, which even says it's definitely an issue if he's willing to.
Speaker 5: Bring it out right twenty two for ninety four yards point three to carry in the first half, when you basically went wired to wire with your starters on defense and they didn't have all the starters on offense, but the runs, the running game, even after I think Daron Jones only had one carry, you know, Dylan had a handful, and then a couple of guys that I wasn't overully familiar with were breaking tackles. So yeah, I think that was Interchane and Bill saying that at halftime. Mike stood out to me too, And unfortunately, I think on the broadcast, you know, we misunderstood it.
Speaker 1: And by we, I don't mean me.
Speaker 5: We kept talking about Bill wanted to get more production out of the running game. I think he was talking about improving the run defense when he was talking to Steve Burton at halftime, he said, we got to get better against the run. I'm you know, something like that that was that was not good, I mean better at this time of year. But you have gotcha, guy, Carl Davis should be allowing you know, ninety four yards rushing in the first half of the game.
Speaker 1: So I absoletely agree with you.
Speaker 3: And I'm just wondering, Deuce, did you see anything that they were doing defensively that would have explain that or.
Speaker 4: Were they're just getting out muscled, They're getting unplayed? You know, I think that's and and I thought the run defense.
Speaker 3: Was was anything scheme wise that they were allowing for. They're like, you know, what does Jordan love He's actually he's got a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, there's fairness they did.
Speaker 5: They did a lot of the misdirection stuff, so they have to be disciplined and on the edge, which I thought they did a really good job of.
Speaker 1: Probably should have teacher Kwis was a nice one.
Speaker 5: Probably should have included that in the good But I thought all of the guys on the edge for the most part, didn't allow the quarterback that comfortable throw.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to. You do that hard play action and the you know, the the misdirection boot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, usually that Usually it's like they got that deep crosser coming. But every time they did it, it seemed like the Patriots were in his face and didn't let didn't allow him to have the time that you would want.
Speaker 4: On those I think I think what you saw too on those plays was kind of what I saw from love and practice, where you know, like when.
Speaker 1: It's clean, it's good, but like he kind of pants, oh man, not there, it's it's it's The first three or four plays of the game were a nightmare. For him. Now after that, I thought he was pretty impressive. I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I want to like talk about him specifically a little bit later, so we can we can do that, but we'll we'll stick with some of the things that again, trying to remain positive here tonight. And by the way, if you if you're just like joining us here and you're wondering what's going on with Isaiah Bolden, there was a statement from the Patriots. They said that Bolden sustained an injury. He had feeling in all his extremities, but has been taken to a local hospital for further tests and observation. So I think that's it's might be all we get officially from the team tonight, but so far that is that. I will take that as good news in terms of what's going on. So but I'm just trying to remain positive overall. That's you know, that's gonna be my main mantra tonight. So instead of you know, bad things that things that could be worked on, how about this?
Speaker 1: What else? What else could hey, Paul, what else could the Patriots be working on this week? Well? What else did I think stood out to me?
Speaker 5: Sam Roberts, some bad discipline, and I was a little disappointed, Like and I actually I sent Fred a text in the middle of the game. Obviously there was a lot of emotion on the field on Thursday. You know, it was pretty chippy. I was a little disappointed to see that spill over into the game. I would have thought with whatever the nonsense was before the game, and I saw some footage of that. I don't know if you notice it, it looked like our guys ran right through there guys in pregame on So I just thought that that kind of start, I would have thought there would be nothing tonight in this game after the way Thursday's practice ended. Sam Roberts is trying to hustle and make a play. I don't think there was necessary. I don't think there was anything cheap about that. But then the reaction, it's like, I'm gonna get up and I'm gonna start pushing guys, and guess who comes in from the back.
Speaker 1: Thirteam as always.
Speaker 5: Seeing if this is the pregame right here, Sam Roberts, I thought, was a little undisciplined on that play, and I was a little It's it's not really about Sam Roberts as much to me as it was about the Patriots. I thought they looked like the other teams tonight, and I sort of think the Patriots are above that.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe that's a me problem. I have to start thinking differently. What else he got, dudes? I got situational defense. That was you know, a problem last week with with giving up you know, a score right before the half. And then again they allowed you know, a field goal drive right before the half. You know, big big play along the sidelines. Tough to tell. Uh if he did get both feet down in bounds, I mean, oh, he clearly did, did he? Yeah, I don't really understand what I should keep my problems, Telecat. My eyes didn't see it.
Speaker 5: He got he gets one foot down, clearly the right, and then he the he toe tapped the other foot, and they sort of tackled him out of bounds to lift his foot off the ground.
Speaker 1: But both feet were on the ground. This is the ankle right here.
Speaker 5: Now you watch here do such a great job of getting these plays. Okay, so he's he's got the ball. Now, foots down, second foot tap right there. Watch the grass comes up, you can see it. And then they lift them up off the ground and he goes out of bounds. If he like had tapped the toe and then the heel came down out of bounce, it would be incomplete. But I think his foot comes off the ground here and he has two feet left foot in his hands, right foot down right there.
Speaker 1: See. I think initially I thought he I didn't think you.
Speaker 5: Would just you would just like Bobbin, I thought. So the first replay I saw, I looked at I said, he's in. And then we're getting the you know like when you you have all the sort of whatever the in stadium, like the live feed.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not a television veteran. I don't know what all those different feeds are called. But we were listening to the referee talked to the truck.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh I wasn't, but oh yeah, the you know, the guy that's with me in the studio is and yeah. They kept saying like, oh, he's other foots out of bounds. I think it's his left foot they said, was out of bonds. I was like, no, his toes in.
Speaker 3: So that it took me until seen at this time right now to realize, No, what I see is what you pointed out. The first time, Paul is that he drags the left foot long before that that foot, the foot comes up after he drags it the first time he has the ball. So to me, the point in the play is actually before what we're looking at right now. It's a little bit before that. He's got a drag that happens early on in the catch here and now we got the rewreck.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It is the left foot drag. You see the grass come up was left foot right after.
Speaker 5: Yes, that I mean that he's got the ball and that foots down and the other foot click comes down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can see the grass coming up there. So that's from the toe, left foot got down, right foots in. It's a catch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The only thing was to me is like does he actually secure it? And then when I saw the replay, it was like he clearly had it, he never lost control of it.
Speaker 1: We reviewed it.
Speaker 4: Great catch, great play. I mean, I thought the covers was pretty good. That's like one of those plays where.
Speaker 1: That was a terrible throw. That's the only thing I could say about that. But Jordan love.
Speaker 4: But but to the bigger point though, it was just you know that situational football, and you know as much as you can maybe pars away run defense in the like situational football in the preseason, it's hard to really have a flow of your defense.
Speaker 1: So I get it.
Speaker 4: But still two weeks in a row, you've given up a score right before the half. A couple of years ago, that was a problem for this defense.
Speaker 1: So that was another one.
Speaker 5: That's just something to minute drive after the Patriots tied it to allow that, to allow that field goal at the end of the half. I totally agree with you, Mike, that's worth talking about again.
Speaker 1: A lot of they were driving to at that, you know, when they ended the game. I mean that was you know, a yeah. I mean they were going to cheat.
Speaker 5: They were going to score at the end of the game, but there was still a lot of time over ten minutes left. The Patriots might have gone down and scored again too. But the slants I thought were a problem for both teams. But I thought the slants were a problem with Clifford in the game. Looked like he was every every third down, every third down, he was just finding someone to throw a slant to and had no problems with it.
Speaker 1: Didn't like Gonzales again tonight. Uh. I liked his tackle on third down. I was gonna. I thought that I liked it better if it was you know before the first album was well, wasn't the third and nine? Yea, yeah it was. It was late. It was late in the game. I don't know. I I could have swear in the second half tackle.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm not talking about anything in the second half, because that's all the backups were.
Speaker 1: In the first half. He was abused.
Speaker 5: I think he was off coverage again. Some of it was zone, some of it. I don't like his lack of physicality. He's not playing as well in the two games as he does every day in practice. I love him more in practice. I think I'm going to disagree a little bit. I thought he was more physical to night than he was last week.
Speaker 1: I thought that the PI he got on tough call. Accurate call, but I thought that he showed pretty impressive makeup speed to get back into the guy in phase with the guy. I'm not totally disagree with that. He had a good game. I just think for me, he looked like he looked a little bit better this week than he looked.
Speaker 5: I will say I agree with you on the PI. It was a penalty, but I didn't think it was a terrible play by him. Yeah, it's a tough I mean, it's a tough call.
Speaker 4: A lot of guys are gonna get caught and get toasted by that. And I just was like, wow, he at least was able to make up and make it competitive.
Speaker 5: Well he, I mean he did get beat, but when the throw was short and the receiver has to come back and he goes through the defense, like, I don't really think it was terrible coverage. In other words, I thought that was the least of my problems. I know, one of them was a zone that he gave up a catch on the side, just to me when the balls were caught by that. But this might not have been his guy, you know, so let me let me just state that maybe this was all zone and it wasn't all his fault when he was the closest guy. I didn't like the way he like he had won that he go over and shouldered the guy when he was virtually out of bounds already. And of course we went crazy about it, but I didn't. I just didn't like you know, his Yeah, this this is the p I right, that's an unfortunate play. I agree with Mike on this, I think it's a penalty, but I don't think he get He got beat initially in the move and then he fo see how she see how how short the throw was, he bumps them.
Speaker 1: He bumps them right here. But when the balls in the air right right there.
Speaker 5: Now again, I'm with Mike, my league, those aren't penalties, just like the one on the uh on Booty wasn't a penalty to me that they called at the end of the first half. Like Booty makes a double move and the guy standing there and Booty runs over him.
Speaker 1: What's he supposed to do? Right?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 5: I didn't think either one of those are penalties. But in this league, those are penalties. I hate that.
Speaker 1: I hate them.
Speaker 3: How about one that I think we can all agree on? Now, I don't know, and I wasn't watching him specifically and closely enough throughout the night, but the plays specifically stubor after the fumble or strip sack, whatever it was, he got beat badly. He got beat, and then he looks at the ball on the ground, as Matt Lapan said in a moment of Cam Newton like self preservation, kind of like looking at the ball like now.
Speaker 1: I'd like to give him the benefit of that.
Speaker 3: I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and think like he thought it was an incomplete pass, there's no point in jumping on it. I ha's a preseason football game.
Speaker 1: Watch Mac get pile drive. Did you see that? Did you catch that? Real time? Paul ninety four? Just but but watch Stubor once the ball is on the ground. I don't know that you watched mac watch mac ready.
Speaker 5: Well that's a little cheap. Yeah, I did not notice that. That's a little bit cheap. Yeah, yeah, watch he just of course it was. I mean it was after about seven other fights.
Speaker 1: In this game.
Speaker 3: In the in the wider angle shot, you can see Stubor kind of like watching the ball the first one that we saw, and it's like, oh, look at that, Oh isn't it isn't that interesting?
Speaker 1: I totally agree with your party. I also just I almost put that more party. I think, party, party, party. I almost put this one more on the Patriots because you have no left tackles, Like Andrew Stubert was never a left tackle in college. He's playing left tackle like, it's fine, he should have gotten the ball.
Speaker 3: Our left tackles the only ones that are supposed to jump out loose balls.
Speaker 5: I get it, but it's still I know you're you're talking about his reaction most I'm talking about a guy.
Speaker 1: Who said, I don't know, is he definitely on the team. No, no, okay, no, but he might have to because they have no other tackles. Okay, but he's not a lock like my one roster projection did. Not.
Speaker 3: If I wanted to play football that I think I'd be jumping on on the loose ball.
Speaker 1: Oh, here we go again, the mac pile drive one more time. Let's see it. Ready. You're kind of overstating that he looks like he reacted to the ball. Yeah, we're not. We're not. We're not getting it. We're not getting a great And I didn't think the way I thought he was hurt in real.
Speaker 3: Time it was noticeable. Watch, let's watch it again. Here we go, he's looking at it.
Speaker 1: He got up and immediately lunched to the ball. I don't think it was as bad now that I've actually focused the whole time. He was watching, not getting And now I'm like, I mean, could he have just like lunched at it me? I don't know. I don't say that he lunged at the ball.
Speaker 3: When he steps up and does the double hitch, and it's like, maybe I'm going to try and get myself over there.
Speaker 1: To get on football. Just be bad, And he's like, all just reason to scamper right, the ball was on the ground. He reacted to it. Oh okay, well here I watch okay, he got up one and immediately went I mean he had no chance at it.
Speaker 3: You're right, he's moving just as fast as all the other guys who actually made it to the ball.
Speaker 1: You're right. I have a question.
Speaker 5: I'm being I'm being too rough. I have a question on this play. What constitutes defensive holding.
Speaker 1: When you hold the guy past two yards of the scrimmage? He rips him down. Watch watch when he comes around. If we can rewrap that guys. I love when we rewrap. I don't.
Speaker 5: All I know is that I just love throwing crap out. As he comes around the corner fifty five? Was that uh a goomble what's what's his name? Yeah, you got it, the goomble wale something like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. He watch watch him, you see him he rips him down by the shoulder. Yeah, Like is it can that be holding you guys don't see it? Huh might be at home. I'm sorry, who am I looking at? I don't know.
Speaker 5: The guy who beats Stuber grabs him by the shoulder and pulls him down and pulls him down right there?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's interesting. Is can that be? Is that legal? Or is that? Can that be? Holding men? I mean, I don't ask for a friend. I mean, on one hand, I would say he was already kind of passed.
Speaker 5: I don't know he got I'm not trying to defend stubor I'm asking if that's a penalty.
Speaker 1: That's all I thought you were saying offensive holding, no defensive. I was looking at like guys downfield. Well, there's like twenty two guys out there. It's so hard. It's actually.
Speaker 5: I was talking about the guy who knocked the quarterback down. Okay, you may have noticed it when you weren't.
Speaker 1: Making fun of him for not recovering the fumble.
Speaker 3: You know what, he he made a heady play, and I salute him, put him on the good list.
Speaker 1: I didn't say he made a heady play. Let's see, you's got I got to take it ridiculous. Tom Comror with a little pat in the back from Mac Jones. I'm not sure I like that. I was just watching Mac Jones get violated each time on that replay. But uh, that was that was unfortunate. Okay, how about uh I had sixty four sack, by the way, I had sixty four sack. How about so beating on that third and nine for another sack.
Speaker 5: I know, I know that's what's been going on. That's what's been going on, actually going on. Yeah, no, on the good list too, No no, no, no, no, no no. I thought the pass protection right up until the last play where Stuber gets beat was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought even on that sack that's so allowed, I thought it was a covered sack. I thought Mac had time, you know, so gets beat. You can see him, he's on he gets bull rushed there. But I thought he had time to step bank throw and then all of a sudden aheah, you know it. This wasn't the same as the strip sack. In other words, I mean, the strip sack was immediate, and Riley Reef.
Speaker 1: Is also getting just walked right back in the Mac too.
Speaker 5: But yeah, and I thought Mac did a good job otherwise of sort of navigating the pocket moving up internal clock. That the play that he ran near the goal line on second and goal when he slid. Oh, by the way, did you see him looking for a flag on that. As much as I say I liked the way he looked tonight, he had to throw one of.
Speaker 1: Those in there.
Speaker 3: Is that Eric was queuing up the videos and having him ready to go here in a moment's notice. Chris, great job again this week. Unbelievable, well done. Every everything we're talking about there and it's just bomit's right up there. It's it's almost like a real show.
Speaker 1: So I being not afraid to throw the ball into coverage.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: Three, four or five guys that good or bad? I think it's a great thing. But he did make some good plays.
Speaker 5: I mean the play that he the little dump off at the end of the first half when he was under a lot of pressure. He was kind of scrambling around and he found JJ Taylor. It's good play.
Speaker 3: Do we have other specific bads we want to get to? Obviously, the the only injury that we're going to be talking about is Isaiah Boldene and the Patriots have released his statement saying he had feeling in all his extremities and that he was taken to a local hospital to be checked out. So I'm taking that as good news right now. Trey Nixon.
Speaker 1: Trey Nixon looked like that was significant. That was that was also looked like you were afraid.
Speaker 5: It was like, I think it broken arm or I think it is you think so, Yeah, that's what it looked like to me live and they they made an announcement again in the truck that it was a shoulder injury they're calling it.
Speaker 4: But the guy just lands right on his arms you can see, and it looks like they're popping out or breaking.
Speaker 5: I don't want to make anybody, you know, queasy, but right there it looks like it turned it away it's not supposed to. And then he immediately grabs you see he grabs here on the arm. He doesn't grab his shoulder. And that's not an easy bone to break. I played in high school with a kid who broke that bone. It's not it's not pretty. The humorous, well, that's funny at all.
Speaker 3: I And again, we don't know, and that that's also kind of the problem with watching some of these things in replay. I bet you could zoom in on any number of contacts, whether it's on the line or after a tackle, and think like, oh my god, how are you gonna, you know, recover from that. There's all kinds of things that look bad. That one looks bad even you know, in context of everything else that's going on, just the way it kind of bends. But he wasn't announced with anything other than his shoulders, so we don't know.
Speaker 1: I'll just hope that I'll.
Speaker 4: Throw one more at you bad another bed. I'm just going to say, Sean Wade on the on the crosser on the TV.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I thought that he had been making head and that's more why, because otherwise I would have just been kind of like, eh, but he had a good he had a good couple of days and uh, you know, it's just kind of one of those inopportune times he allowed it just when you look on I had a Sean Wade theory that you know, maybe I'm thinking twice about now. So if Jack Jones is part of the equation, it's Jack Jones and Gonzalez. And by the way, there's another positive element tonight was those two guys starting.
Speaker 1: I liked that.
Speaker 5: But if he can't play, and like, if you need someone else on the outside. My Sean Wade's performance the last couple of days, you know, week plus, I think he's been around the ball a lot this camp is wouldn't he be a better option on the outside than like Miles Bryant.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 5: I mean, honestly, Marcus Jones. Marcus Jones got a lot of snaps on the outside in Green Bay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, unfortunately, I would have I would have been, you know, saying Isaiah Bolden, you know, I mean I think before he unfortunately got hurt, he was, you know, getting picked on a little bit.
Speaker 1: But Wade Bolden one of those guys. They might they might need one of those guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So just something to keep in mind. I think Wade's size might be more attractive than like it.
Speaker 4: Might be like right tackle, you just might not have a choice. You just have to play somebody there. And I hope that that that they get it, or that you know, somebody else.
Speaker 5: Is obviously best case is if you could get Jones, Jones and Gonzales, those three guys, and then you have Marcus Jones and whoever else you want, if it's Brian, if it's Wade, whoever. Yeah, but my my take development was that Wade could get a job over Brian because they don't really need Brian as a punt returner or anything like that. They have some depth of that spot, although, like you said, you're losing a little of the return depth of Bolden's injury tonight. And you know it's hard that the way those those roster spots are going to be tough to to predict.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's uh, let's move on here. We'll start taking some of your phone calls here at eight five five PATS five hundred. You can also email web radio at Patriots dot com. What we will begin with Colleen. It was in Houston, Colleen, thanks for your patients. Welcome into the Patriots postgame show.
Speaker 1: Hi Colleen, Colleen. Colleen already's off to a good start. This is not my fault. Colleen going once, Colleen going twice. Colleen is not there? All right? Oh that's not listen. That was a sound effect added by Matt Morrell. That was not me.
Speaker 3: Jake and Australia will be there. He's found that literally on the other side of the world, and he's there.
Speaker 1: Hijake.
Speaker 9: I thought I was bad to get hottie there we go.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 9: So unfortunate ending to the game. Yeah, yeah, yeah, unfortunate ending. But one thing I really didn't like was how Zap the sit Nixon up to fail. That that hurt to watch that party.
Speaker 1: Set Nixon up to fail. What do you mean just by putting the ball up and with a few guys I didn't take it.
Speaker 9: He was never a good option.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I don't think Paul all right, go ahead, But all right, Jake, hopefully have a point.
Speaker 5: I mean, I will say that, and I made the comment earlier. Zappy had no trouble throwing the ball into coverage time, But I don't think he set him up to get hit.
Speaker 1: There was a ball on the sideline. Yeah, I bet I wouldn't call that. I think that was unfortunate. Yeah, he was just tangled up and landing came down on him.
Speaker 9: And then a boy Cunningham.
Speaker 5: There are three guys around him. Yeah, you know, Jake, I see your point a little bit more as I'm watching the replay. There are three guys right right around him, surrounding them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is triple coverage. Yeah, yeah, he did treat him like he was Calvin Johnson. There for a second. That's that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not necessary and probably not gonna this. This is the thing when you're watching Zappi in these games, You're you're watching a guy who is probably trying a little bit of everything to get something to click, get something to work, get something to pop, make the difference, right, because.
Speaker 5: What he looked like today. Yes, I'm not taking a checkout. I'm throwing it into coverage. Try what's that about the about the play to Booty?
Speaker 10: What now?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he does the one to Nixon and then all of a sudden, couple of plays later he throws an booty Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what? And Jake, thanks for the call, buddy, I appreciate you. Uh Gooday? Was that was the booty play?
Speaker 3: The one that I remarked to you when we were watching the game, douce I said, that's the type of play if you're watching it from the other side. From the other side, I think it was earlier in the game actually, but there were there were a couple of plays, a couple of Patriots completions tonight. Why I say, you know, we look at that one like, all right, nicely done. When you flip the script and you watch it from a Packers perspective, all you see on that one is a blown coverage, just an absolute breakdown in who's supposed to beware And it's it's just it's instructive only in that you got to take these things, you know, as they as they truly are, and we're gonna we're gonna look at the bright side whenever we can, and we're going to try and you know, you know, find the you know, the positive outcome. But if it's the one I'm thinking of, I think it was like as much a breakdown and coverage as it was. And I can't remember if it was the it was the completion of Booty or not. It may have been at or earlier, much earlier playing the game when Mac Jones.
Speaker 5: Was still They definitely had trouble with the slants. Yes, they had trouble with them all night, and the ones that weren't complete were generally because the throw was off.
Speaker 1: That's not the that's not the ones the reference.
Speaker 3: No, that's just that that is just a dime and that's a great reception for.
Speaker 1: Me, But it is it is.
Speaker 5: It's a it's a it's an excellent throw and catch. But like yeah, that safety is way out of this safety.
Speaker 1: Is out of position. What do you what do you want?
Speaker 5: You know, reminded me of the Miami fourth bound play last year and opening Day to Jalen Waddle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, yeah, I remember that gone right up the middle, yes, okay, yeah. Whereas it's it's a catch and it should be a catching a first down because safety can't. The offense executed the play properly, but it can't be a touchdown, right, it should stop there? Right, Yeah, that's a good that's a good callback from the steel trap. There's it's I know it's and that's what's so hard.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, I think everybody you look at your team, you're like, all right, well were they in off coverage? And you know they were just in a little slant that's hard to defend.
Speaker 1: And but to Paul's point, the tackle, I would say the too with the bourn those are you know some RPO stuff too, which is you know, encouraging to see that that first born catch one. That's that one that was a look for a little week of that next week? How about Spi and Fresno, what's going on?
Speaker 11: Speed greeting gentlemen, agree with like every point. I thought Jake from State Farm Australia was right off the bat with a triple coverage.
Speaker 5: I thought it was triple coverage absolutely, yeah, But I don't think that had anything to do with the injury. Like I just know it wasn't a hospital ball, yeah right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably.
Speaker 11: I don't think it was a hospital ball either yet.
Speaker 1: But it was a bad decision by ZAPPI.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I thought, I'm trying to look on the bright side with Mac because I'm kind of maybe negatively biased against the guy, and maybe it's unfair he seemed to hit or miss like in the first quarter.
Speaker 1: I would agree with that.
Speaker 11: I think there was a pass downfield where Parker he missed Henry. I thought Henry was opened, yep.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he didn't throw it to Henry, right, he threw it to the outside. Yeah, Henry, is that the one space? Yeah, I agree with you. I agree with you.
Speaker 5: He missed him, and I thought he overthrew Parker. I thought he had a chance to make a play. Although why Parker could have made a better player on the ball.
Speaker 11: In that I wanted to to talk about the Parker thing because that's a that one was the case where Parker is just not fast enough. Like if if Parker's not a contested catch guy, but he's a little bit faster than that, that's a very catchable ball. But maybe it's just not the right receiver for that pass. But maybe that's the wrong way to look at it. I also I don't like that point. Yeah, I like. I like Pop Douglas for what he maybe can be for like his binky potential is high.
Speaker 1: Binky.
Speaker 11: I like Pop Douglas him being like without Jacoby Myers given given, giving Max something that's reliable in you know, short yardage situations that you know can make him more comfortable, give him a little security mink.
Speaker 3: You know what's I'm gonna use that if you don't mind, I'll give you credit whenever I can. But binky potential, that's good.
Speaker 6: I like it.
Speaker 1: Is that something that gets used a lot around here. See, I like this one on this one we're showing right here, which is like I mean, I just I mean, I know it went for two yards. It's nothing to write home about, but we must have shown this play sixty But just the fact that look the two guys stop boom. You know, that's just a little glimpse of what he can do. You know, he's just got good abillity. Turned that two yard loss into a two yard game. Man, I'll tell you I'm trying to make a point. I like the other play. I look quick, I can watch the other play. I can stop on a dime and make people miss that I don't see. I don't see the game as well as you guys see it. No, I did, don't.
Speaker 5: I did think it was that adjustment to the pass right there. I like this play, Okay, I like this adjustment.
Speaker 3: This one I can see, and this one I get the Douglas play we're watching beforehand, the two yard loss and did the two yard gain after we watched it three times on the broadcast, and I saw a lot of people and then I saw like nineteen people men on Twitter, someone else in the room. There's literally one guy there who over runs them. I'm like, maybe maybe I got maybe got blocked in the back on second. I don't see it to that extent.
Speaker 1: Well, this is this is what I would compare it to when a guy gets hit in the backfield and he still makes it back to the line of scrimmage. You know, like all right, that's nothing great about it, like you are. But those are the little players that just shows some traits. But the difference is his quickness he can get. I'm not saying that that the play itself. I'm just showing the traits that he demonstrates there.
Speaker 5: They translate, I love your comp I love your comp The difference is no one talks about the guy who made the guy miss in the backfield to get back to the line of scrimmage ten minutes after the play.
Speaker 1: We're actually three hours after we've seen it. And I'm not making fun of you. We showed that play, did you numerous times? No, I didn't know. I didn't know. I thought I was alone of being like, well, he looked a little quick there at least, But no, I like Douglas. I liked that. Like I said, I really liked his adjustment on that first play. But it's just those two catches.
Speaker 6: Was that it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was a little disappointed that he didn't get more run. I wonder if they're trying to keep him under wraps, but I would think they need if you're gonna have banky potential, you need to get raps with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you can earn trust, like on those kind of plays where it's you know, bang bang gotta sit down on his own.
Speaker 1: Yep. Oh, well we're not gonna break. We're not gonna talk about it anymore.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh we are all right, good? What we're gonna Okay?
Speaker 3: Well, while while we uh, how about if we kill two seconds by talking to you about the Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism, Because great memories are made in Massachusetts, no matter how you choose to make them indoors, outdoors, scenic views, city vibes, solo or family style, whatever moves you or whatever the season. Plan your perfect Massachusetts getaway at visit ma dot com.
Speaker 2: Get in on the action with DraftKings, the official daily fantasy partner of the New England Patriots. New customers can download the DraftKings app now and play free for me millions and prizes using code Pats. That's Code Pats only at DraftKings.
Speaker 1: Minimum five dollars deposit required.
Speaker 10: Eligibility restrictions apply. See DraftKings dot com for details. Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 8: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like my Plan where you can pick the person you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever. Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need. Bring your phone to your Verizon store today and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 12: Touch for You Interactive from the Yocres company offers New England's leading schools and businesses technologically advanced and easy to use interactive displays, providing enhanced collaboration and improved student outcomes in the classroom and an easy way to foster communication and teamwork in any business environment. Available in multiple sizes, Touch for You also offers a built in VC allowing for easy use through video conference systems.
Speaker 1: For more information, visit okres dot com.
Speaker 13: This is the Gillette Labs with exfoliating bar. The bar in the handle removes unseen dirt and debree ahead of the blades for effortless shaving in one efficient stroke.
Speaker 1: A million dollars for picking players.
Speaker 10: That's a lot of money, DraftKings.
Speaker 11: You know how many jokes I gotta tell to make a million dollars, Probably like.
Speaker 1: A half of one.
Speaker 8: Take a free shot at a million dollars with DraftKings, the leader in daily fantasy sports.
Speaker 14: We exist to keep your body and mind moving. It's never soon because everybody is it there a body touch for you.
Speaker 12: Interactive from the Yocres Company offers New England's leading schools in business is technologically advanced and easy to use interactive displays, providing enhanced collaboration and improved student outcomes in the classroom and an easy way to foster communication and teamwork in any business environment. Available in multiple sizes, Touchview also offers a built in VC allowing for easy use through video conference systems. For more information, visit okers dot com.
Speaker 13: This is the Gillette Labs with exfoliating bar. The bar in the handle removes unseen dirt and to breathe ahead of the blades for effortless shaving in one efficient stroke.
Speaker 1: A million dollars, but picking players has a lot of money.
Speaker 10: DraftKings, You know how many jokes I got to tell to make.
Speaker 1: A million dollars? Probably like a half of one.
Speaker 8: Take a free shot at a million dollars with DraftKings, the leader in daily fantasy sports.
Speaker 14: We exist to keep your body and mind movie stever suit because everybody is it there a body.
Speaker 2: Get in on the action with DraftKings, the official daily fantasy partner of the New England Patriots. New customers can download the DraftKings app now and play free for millions in prizes using code Pats. That's code Pats only at DraftKings. Minimum five dollars deposit required. Eligibility restrictions apply. See DraftKings dot com for details.
Speaker 10: Isn't it time to get exactly what you want?
Speaker 8: Welcome to Red Hot Deal Days from Verizon, where you get your pick of our best deals like My Plan, where you can pick the perse you want and save on everyone for limited time. Bring your own phones to a Verizon store and you can get my plan for our best price ever.
Speaker 10: Get exactly what you want on your phone plan and only pay for what you need.
Speaker 8: Bring your phone to your Verizon store today and get my plan. These deals won't last. It's your Verizon.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation by calling the ACE Ticket hotline at eight five five pats five hundred, or email this show at web radio at Patriots dot com.
Speaker 1: What's like? Is this okay?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: Are your boss is going to be like when you're a jet crossing the streets. I think my boss.
Speaker 2: On the table, no threat, no threat there live from our studios inside you Lett Stadium.
Speaker 3: Here's Hardy.
Speaker 1: That was when Andy joined us last week, but not this week, not this week. This would not be the show for Andy. Yeah. No, you just you.
Speaker 3: You've had tastes in the past of what it's like doing one of these shows with Andy Hart.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah. No, he's he's intense, but when he's on a lot, he's a lot four spokesman. Now, I guess yeah, apparently I've been trying to get him to slide me a case. How's that working out? Yeah, Product hats have been shipped.
Speaker 3: The update from uh from the Patriots on Bolden. On Isaiah Bolden, who is the reason why the game was called with ten minutes twenty nine seconds left in the fourth quarter after he sustained an injury on the field, The team released a brief statement saying that he had feelings in all of his extremities and this is again these things are carefully worded. At the time, He's said feeling in all his extremities, but has been taken to a local hospital for further tests and observation. I don't mean to like read into this, you know too much, but the word butt in there has me thinking that's actually positive, Like, yeah, he was doing okay, but I still wanted to take him to the hospital, taking the hospital. So that is I'm taking that as positive right now, and that's the way it is. That's the important thing here tonight is we go through this Patriots postgame show and talking about the what we did see on the field there in Green Bay tonight. The final score is not really a final score because they didn't play the entire game, but it was twenty one to seventeen Patriots, so we'll continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got the over Oh jeez, I didn't even think about the freaking over unders. I think those get washed this week.
Speaker 5: You know, it wasn't a five and one for Paul Oh no, I don't think I know, four and two for Mike. I don't think we count any of three and three for well. I mean, who's to say the sack numbers wouldn't have gone that? You know, Okay, Well, that is true, that is true.
Speaker 1: Who's to say Malik Cunningham wouldn't have so actually have.
Speaker 5: If you want to change it, you go one on one the other way. Never mind, never mind, because you were the only one that got the snaps.
Speaker 4: Right now, that's right, Well, maybe I can can I throw this Gonzales play to the guys in the truck, see if they can pull it up.
Speaker 1: See if you're uh. I'm glad that you said that by a truck. I don't know that I'm gonna speak to Lingo that racket. There's no truck. Yeah, hey, we rack it, re rack it in the truck. I'll teach you now, they're just launch. I asked.
Speaker 5: I asked Mike about that play because I really didn't remember it. And now I feel like I'm being a little too hard on Gonzales because that play happened in the second quarter.
Speaker 1: Second quarter with so that's three forty six left. The play idea is eighteen eighty eight.
Speaker 4: And if you have that God, yeah, So I don't know if the guys can take it up third and nine, three forty play.
Speaker 1: I D, Well, that's on the Jesus the Jesus. I don't think they use that. I don't know this is p I D. I assume it said play I D. Maybe I don't know maybe I D P I D. May that's play I D. Perhaps I don't know, i'd need to know. It's just a P I D quarter situation play description. It's the only one who is always using the Jesus. It's the word play I D see. All right, here we go. And then I'm like, oh, he's going to get this one, and just okay, that's a good tackle.
Speaker 5: I don't remember that play, and I wondered, I asked deu So I was like, thanks, guys, By any chance was I talking at the time, Because if I'm actually doing one of one of my hits, I'm not always I can't look at the monitor if I'm on camera, and you know, God knows, why wouldn't you want me on camera?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got your Pierre strung End thing in too. I did. I did. Went a long way to Grandma's house on that one. I actually, I actually I got another question for you, Paul Out. Sometimes I'm talking and I just say, just stop Lane, Oh, I hate that. H Any thoughts on Kevin Harris tonight, I'm just curious what your pedestrian. Yeah, I thought there were a couple of plays that that he had that there was yards to be made that kind of runs hard, but he goes down quick. He had a lot of touches. Yeah, a lot of touches. I mean I was looking at it one years and I thought it was a little better in the second half, but not much. Yeah, it seemed like you get a head of steam going and I thought he'd blast somebody, you know, run over somebody or and it just he couldn't seem to kind of this.
Speaker 5: Was the stretch where I thought he was he was okay, Well, he had the the he moved the chains on the third he moved it, but he moved the chance on a good three yard run. You know, he dragged a tackle there for an extra couple of years. But then there's one run coming.
Speaker 1: This is the one.
Speaker 5: There's more yards there for that play. I thought maybe even that one too, you know, And I just brought up the you know, the point during the broadcast that you know, it's kind of interested to see how he'd respond.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I probably felt like he had an opportunity, you know, like I would liked to have seen him, you know, I mean a little more productive.
Speaker 1: Watching this game. Yeah, he's a big guy, he's a thick guy, but there's just not a lot of pop really that that I'm seeing.
Speaker 3: But let's get to some of these emails here Weber Radio, Patriots dot com. Uh Todd and Garner said, very sad game outcome. One takeaway is that our line play is seriously icky on both sides of the ball. I know it's preseason, but I hope they find a way to shore it up. Felt that Bolden was coming on and I really hoping that he is okay for his and his family's sake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's from Todd for sure.
Speaker 4: Nothing we haven't really seen, you know, I mean, and I mean I thought it was interesting that even yesterday Adrian Clem when he spoke, was like, we got to get we just haven't been able to have any continuity. We've been trying to like scramble and and get guys in, and you know, at a certain point there's just no more excuses. The season's going to start and you got to roll with what you have. But I think it's Paul kind of touched on in the pregame. You're just hoping you can get them when you and strange and just you know, at least get the guys that you wanted there in the middle for four fifths of it and then just figure it out at right tackle. I mean, I don't think that that's the worst position in the world to just try to have to figure it out at. But you saw today how quickly it can change a game, you know, with with blown all it takes one.
Speaker 1: It's a really good point because I thought offensively, they were probably feeling decent about themselves until that strip sack. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Prayers for Isaiah Bolden is from uh Daniel formally from Eugene uh he said on a football note though, Is it possible they're trying to.
Speaker 1: Do too much?
Speaker 3: With Malie Cunningham kick returner, inside and outside receiver, possible special teams gunner, potentially quarterback, alternate. How can a rookie handle such a large transition? Does it poply possibly take away from his effectiveness in any one singular role, even Taysom Hill and essentially a red shirt year for playing any role on the team in twenty seventeen?
Speaker 4: Well, what do we see him do tonight? Like it felt like tonight was we got to see if we can get him going as a receiver a little bit, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Can I I want to you guys can tell me, I might have to. Wasn't Taysom Hill initially a special teams guy?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: And I also don't know what Taysom Hill did in preseason games. Maybe they had him all over the place too.
Speaker 1: My pushback would be where Mike is going with this, Like I based on what I saw tonight, I would take quarterback and put it on the back burner a little bit. It looks like they're trying to make him a receiver slash special teams guy, and that's his road to the roster.
Speaker 3: I think it's good that they're trying him out in a few different places to see, Okay, where is he going to fit? Because we think he's you know, as as we know, Bill loves he's a football player.
Speaker 1: He can he can play the game.
Speaker 3: We're just not sure exactly where and how we can utilize him.
Speaker 1: So I just I mean, we've watched I don't know, fifteen sixteen practices. I haven't seen anything out of him as a receiver. I mean it's he looks nice when he you know, it does a little QB draw or read option or something and he's running.
Speaker 4: But you know he had the I mean, you know, everybody talks about the one handed booty catch, and then Andy came in here coming hot about what a terrible throw it was. So you know, I like, I understand why everyone wants the Cunningham thing to happen, and you know, to have maybe have that element and a new, exciting, dynamic guy to play with upfront.
Speaker 1: But I don't know what you saw tonight. He didn't look comfortable to me as a receiver. It looked a little bit kind of lost, And you know, yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 5: I just hope that they if they're going to keep him, I hope that they continue to try to develop as a quarterback.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 5: If they've decided, you know what, this is too much of a project, we don't have time for this, then I'm fine with that too. But if they're going to keep him around and they want him to do it, like I kind of agree with the the email, because if you're going to try to keep him around to be a special team or in a wide receiver, put him on the practice squad and let him develop and.
Speaker 1: Be a quarterback, right That's what we thought.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Now, you know, the pushback is that you don't think you can get him on the practice squad. If you don't you don't like I'm not I'm with you. I'm not efully interested in the slash player. If he could be a quarterback, I'm interested in that.
Speaker 1: If he can, I wouldn't really have too much worry about getting him onto the practice squad.
Speaker 3: Nathan Shower, PhD says, I, I know the topic of commercial breaks has come up on this show in the past. Is hardly aware that Fred has now decided that the breaks on Patriots Unfiltered are so long that he has met recording a whole second show to fill the time. I would love to hear hearty.
Speaker 5: So you know, I don't think Fred was overully interested in that. I think Fred was the last to know what are we doing?
Speaker 8: So what?
Speaker 3: I don't know what this is about.
Speaker 1: So on Thursday we debuted, Mike. You probably don't even know you were gone.
Speaker 5: We usually, as you like to make fun of us, Fred and I eat our lunch in the middle of Patriots Unfiltered during the week, which is we take about an eight minute break and Patriots.
Speaker 1: Well, how long is Patriots Unfiltered? Two hours? Two hours? So we take so it's an hour and fifty two minutes.
Speaker 3: And most people in America have a two hour work day and they take a lunch break in the middle of their work day.
Speaker 1: That is two hours long. So whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 3: That's a two hour show we do in the middle of an eight hour work day. How about if you take your lunch on either side to that two hour show.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not I'm not even watching at eleven thirty, and by the time two thirty rolls around, I'm not really all that interested. Well I can wait for dinner at that point, honestly, But anyway, you need to my uh So Fred decided. Fred decided that, well he didn't decide it. Other people decided that we needed to fill that break because we didn't want to run the commercials and repeat them.
Speaker 1: It's what we do. So Matisi hosted a little uh Matisse and Friends podcast with Dylan and Faith and they discussed.
Speaker 5: What was the topic, unpopular, unpopular, popular hot takes, and that was what filled the time. Just so you know, re racking the commercials was received better. Uh based on the Twitter following I did not like.
Speaker 2: I just want to say that everybody under thirty five actually enjoyed it and all you old people hated it.
Speaker 1: I didn't hear it, so don't tell me I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: People can play, oh, you offended me because we you talk crap about Facebook and I use Facebook.
Speaker 1: No one likes face face. Even people who do use Facebook don't like it.
Speaker 3: I am an old by your definition right there, and the idea of the show within the show, feeling that unbelievably long lunch break in the middle of a two hour show, and again, I get it. You must be famished after doing well.
Speaker 1: You know why I didn't have it right? What's that? You know why I didn't hear it on Thursday as you're eating because I was eating. You're too busy eating? Yes, I was both of them down Buffalo tender. What are they?
Speaker 3: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It was just the first time to the why why do you get? Was this your idea? You get You're getting a little defensive over there. It actually was not my idea. But I enjoyed it. I don't have anything any anything critical to say about it. They don't like Star Wars upstairs, Oh, I don't like Star Wars. I'm not a big Star Wars guy. And even though I'm an.
Speaker 3: Old listen to Thursday's Patriots Unfiltered, just to listen to that show.
Speaker 1: And skip the first thing. I appreciate that hardy and the second some feedback on it is gonna start giving away Patriots Unfiltered shirts.
Speaker 10: Another reason to listen.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's gonna be fantastic.
Speaker 5: You know another reason Thursday You're gonna make him you know, actually issued them so they can get him.
Speaker 1: All around. Oh yeah, I heard that story.
Speaker 4: The the other reason to listen to Thursday show. It's gonna be I don't know if Fred's gonna be there, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Coming in hot off of a of a nighttime flight. Oh yeah, Fred's probably gonna have to leave, so it might be punchy Deuce hosting. And you know, usually I dropped some F bones on that. I'll try not to. Oh, you just drop F bonds all the time. But you don't even mean it. That's the that's the funny part about it. It's you know what I mean. Yeah, that's when people when people ask a question that I either haven't thought really of an answer, or I don't know or I don't really care to, I just I give the F bomb sigh, Like you know, like Fudge, Yeah, and I don't even realize him doing it. I didn't realize that. And he thinks when you say it directly into the mic, they might not hear it, right, right, But if but we would call we would call that a fleeting expletive.
Speaker 3: Right, it's you know, you're not saying You're not saying it gratuitously, you're not celebrating.
Speaker 5: That, like when I screamed I can't wait till week f N sixteen once that would that was.
Speaker 1: A crit You must have been ballistic on that one. Well, who do you think was on the show? Andy?
Speaker 5: Nope, No, who could get Who's the only person that could get me in that state? I don't want to say Brian Morey.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, those are the two. Those are the two drive Paul over the edge.
Speaker 3: All right, let's let's do this. Let's hear from Bill Belichick. Very short obviously, you know, when you consider what was going on at the end of the game. The game ended with ten twenty nine left due to the injury sustained by Isaiah Bolden. The team has released a statement. I don't know if Bill references that he but Bill is brought to you by our partner Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider and laptop of the NFL and the New England Patriots that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field.
Speaker 1: Check out the powerful Surface Pro.
Speaker 3: Nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at surface dot com.
Speaker 1: Here's the head coach.
Speaker 7: All right, well, I don't think the last situation kind of you know, in the bigger picture of overrode the game.
Speaker 15: So I'll sign a prayer for Isaiah.
Speaker 7: And you know, well we just released a statement with that, right, so that's you know, only information that's updated information that we have. I appreciate the way of the league handle that. I think that was the right thing to do. And you know, also Santa prayer for some of our players with their close friends and relatives in Hawaii that are going through some.
Speaker 15: Stuff out there.
Speaker 7: So you know, that's really the bigger picture of it here, you know, kind of regroup and uh, you know, we'll talk about the game later, but that's it's kind of where things are for right now. So you know, competitive game, competitive week, good week against Green Bay, just you know, unfortunate what happened there at the end, hopefully say it'll be all right, and I'm sorry, that's really about all I got.
Speaker 1: Scary moment was that on the field? And what what led to the decision to just suspend the game?
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's the lad.
Speaker 1: Said, what were your conversations like a coach?
Speaker 15: Yeah, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 14: Something like this.
Speaker 1: Coach puts everything in perspective, doesn't it does.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're all very fortunate, all very fortunate.
Speaker 1: Fortunate in your long career, obviously never experienced anything.
Speaker 15: Quite like this. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Bill, how good of a kid? Is bold and twenty three years old? How did Jackson state? Florida state? Obviously his family very concerned?
Speaker 15: Is luckers crossed him? Okay, all right, great, thank you, thanks.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: All right, So there's a head coach obviously, Uh and he said, you know, just about the game.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that later.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know, he said, it was you know, good week with the with the joints, but uh, you know, and also you know, mentioned something that had been brought up a couple of times earlier this week. You know, players with their connections to uh what's going on in Maui and in Lahina, so he brought that up too, but he referenced the statement again from the team, which came out just a few more moments before he went to the podium, which said that Isaiah Bolden did have feeling in his extremities, and but he was being taken to a local hospital for more testing and for some more evaluations. So we'll take that as good news right now, but not a lot from the coach there.
Speaker 1: I don't know what else you know, you would have asked or you know, done to that circumstance. I guess maybe.
Speaker 3: Coach Belichack at that point was not going to talk any more about the injury.
Speaker 1: I don't think no, And I was, you know, obviously it was predictably.
Speaker 5: Somber right in brief, but I think he basically told you that, you know, the statement, that's all we really know. Yeah, So, I I mean, I think I would have felt comfortable if I were there to ask d listen. Obviously, you know Bolden's you know, held this first and foremost, but can you give your impressions of the game, you know, what of Mac Jones or whatever, like some superficial kind of team performance question. And then if he didn't want to ask answer it. And if he answered with something like I don't think this is the appropriate time. We'll get to that tomorrow because he does have a conference call slated for tomorrow, then you stop like to ask any questions about Bolden to me, doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: Right, And also again you're trying to you know, be mindful of the situation. And you know, the question was asked whether or not he had anything like this in his career. Bill talked about that kind of extensively last year after Demorrow Hamlin and he talked about some of the situations I think that he had encountered over the years. There was one on the field, I mean a very scary incident in the game against the Lions, which was I mean really tenuous.
Speaker 1: Now that was weird. I remember that one that Dennis Bird no no against us here. I remember the guy just collapsed.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was I mean, I myself. You know, we talk about wow, this is unprecedented, Like it's not unprecedented. It's something that happens, and no one is saying that they shouldn't have stopped the game with Deamar Hamlin or they shouldn't have stopped the game tonight but to act like it's the first time it's ever happened. No, you know, unfortunately, this is something that has happened. As a matter of fact before Damar Hamlin last year, it happened to here in Foxborough and the thing that I had never seen, And maybe this is more commonplace and we just don't see it because it's not televised. Somebody from the staff going over to the stands and getting a member of the of the player's family from the Lions, bringing them down out of the field, having them walk off the field with the ambulance and get into the ambulance and go with them to the hospital.
Speaker 1: I mean, to me, that is that's jaw dropping, and that's something that apparently does happen from time to time.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, if you're gonna ask Bill belichikovs you ever say anything like this in your career? To me, that is, Bill is well within his right to almost be a little a little annoyed at that, like, yeah, I have you have unless unless this is your first you know, season covering the NFL. Yes, unfortunately, this is something we've all seen.
Speaker 4: How much do you think the NFL's decision to end the game was kind of related to what happened to DeMar Hamlin, Like you know, like that fresh on the mind, Like I don't I don't ever remember a game being suspended after an injury like this.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if that was you know, like the president was set now it was easier to do that. Well, not not even necessarily the precedent of just I guess my thought was that it's just so fresh on everybody's mind that this is kind of you know, retriggering all those memories, and it's like we're in a preseason game right now, you know, And I just wonder if that if that came into account. Of course, it's a preseason game, and nobody cares, I.
Speaker 5: Think, and I have seen pre season games halted, but not for jury like lightning. Yeah, like you know, whether whether related.
Speaker 3: No, But I think, look, we're talking about it only in that we all agree that that was the right thing to do tonight. Anybody disagrees with that, not at all. If this were a regular season game, what would they have done.
Speaker 1: I think they would have kept playing.
Speaker 3: I think that I think they probably would have taken as much time as they needed to to get a you know, a real update on his status and find out what was going on, and I think they probably would have continued playing the game.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, if you remember the hand one situation was like over a half hour on the field and everyone it was like an hour like not to say that this was this is I don't harm.
Speaker 5: Hopefully this ends you know, obvious sleep without saying, you know, with a good story, a happy ending. But the ham One thing to me was far different in terms of the uncertainty as to what exactly was going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean I would say just the look on the players faces that you know, that to me did was a little bit reminiscent of that. And I think that's, you know, kind of where I went of how how do they play a game when the memories of that is still so fresh.
Speaker 3: Last year it was October ninth. The Lions player was Savion Smith and he was on the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember you're talking about what the family is.
Speaker 3: I remember the family coming out of the field, ambulance out on the field, not carted off on any kind of a you know, team equipment. I mean, that was that was as serious as something that I've witnessed in person. And they continued that game, So I think, yeah, I think a regular season game they probably would have continued tonight. I think a couple of things coming to play. One of them absolutely tomorrow, Hamlin still very fresh. Number two, it's a preseason game, so we don't have to finish this thing. And number three, I think it probably starts to factor in. Do we didn't want anyone else to get hurt, even if it's a groin, even if it's a hamstring.
Speaker 1: We're playing preseason here. Can we just stop this now? Yeah? You know you just had two I mean two hour and well, how long was it? Two hours? Two hours and twenty seven twenty seven minutes? And that was a long game? Tight, you know, I mean you've had so much work. It's like, you know, what more do you need?
Speaker 4: But of course the regular season game, the Packers like, hey, we're driving here to tie the game, you know, like we can't end it right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We also have Mac Jones and his postgame press conference, and as I understand, had some very interesting things to say about Matthew Slater, who played a part in that. We saw, you know, the conference taking place on the sideline while Bolden was being attended to with Bill Belichick and one of the officials, and so Mac has asked about that and other things.
Speaker 1: So let's listen to the quarterback.
Speaker 6: How's a team doing?
Speaker 1: How are you doing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're doing all right. I think that was definitely tough to see, you know, Zay go down like that, and just hard to kind of like realize the whole situation, you know, and we're all together, and think Slater did a great job explaining it to the team, just how you know, you can't take anything for granted. Just want to be there for one another, want to be there for him, his family. I've known him since high school. We played seven on seven football together, so definitely one of my brothers. But sounds like he's doing a lot better, you know, from what they're telling us. So that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Can you tell people what type of player and what type of person isaiahs?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I think, like I said, I'm very fortunate to play with them in seven on seven football when I was you know, a high schooler, just a young guy, and he's just a physical, tough football player. And just hope that he's okay. I know he's gonna do whatever he can to be back and he's d He's done a great job, you know, coming in this year and just trying to play you know, really tough defense, and he he's done a great job. And yeah, just tough. Knowing that I've known him for so long and knowing that he's just this ultimate competitor.
Speaker 5: Does it seem as if the league, you know, kind of shows that it's developing a heightened awareness to know the emotions that you guys in.
Speaker 6: These games, And then yeah, yeah, I think I think it's probably the right move to do that. And just everything revolves around him, him and how his family's doing and and all that stuff. So definitely feel like we weren't in a good headspace. Nobody was on either side of the ball, so you know, obviously that's above all of our pay grade. But we did decide, and Slater and coach and everybody just and the other team just thought it was probably better just to you know, hang it up for the night and and just try and you know, come together really as a team and and and really just think about him and his family. This tream he has to go to Nashville. What do you saying you have to go to Nashville?
Speaker 10: Yeah, how do you as a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Keep everybody up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think hopefully it'll just continue to be positive with the updates that we get and honestly just continue to come together as a team. I think we've done that this week during the practices and I feel like there was a little little bit of camaraderie and things like that, and I think that we just need to try to carry that over and let these tough times just keep building us up and obviously hope that Zay's okay and we get positive updates and just trying to keep plug along as best we can, but definitely tough.
Speaker 10: After all of it happened, both team and decisions made. Everyone kind of came together at the end.
Speaker 1: Both teams can usually what that was like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's important just as people, right, uh, beyond the game of football, just understand that we all love each other and uh, we're out here doing something that lots of people would love to do, you know, and to see somebody, you know, especially your teammate and friend on the ground and I'm just not doing well. It's it's hard, right, but I think I think everybody on that field realize that this game is is very big but there's other things that are also very important, and that's the game of life. And I think both teams, you know, realize that, and I don't think either of us are gonna take anything for granted.
Speaker 4: That usually said that he's never been more proud of his coach ship ever decided that to save that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, chop on that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think coach Belichick just really did a good job there talking with Slater and the leadership of our team and obviously handled the situation. And him and Slater did a great job in the locker room just talking to the team, and like he always does, he's a great He tries to bring us together, you know, and it's all real emotion, and we really appreciate him and and Slater and all those those leaders on our team that can just kind of bring us together during a tough time. So I thought that was smart.
Speaker 1: How does it affect you and how scary is that when you see the stretcher come out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's tough, right, It's It's not something you wanna see every day, But all you can do is just pray and hope that you know whoever's hurt and the situations they that everything's okay, and you think about For me, I think about my family, right, some guys think about their kids or or whatnot, and that's a tough thing. So definitely just try to pray and and realize that, you know, freak accidents happen. But it's tough to sit there and just act like everything's okay too, you know. So I'm definitely we're gonna continue to pray. And that's what we did on the field with Slater too. I thought that was was great to do that and come together and just pray.
Speaker 1: Comfortable fielding specially A football question for you.
Speaker 6: That I'll probably pass in the football, Yeah, I think it's probably, but yeah, we we definitely, uh just wanna pray for him and his family. And I do appreciate you asking, but we'll we'll save it for next Thanks appreciate it, okay.
Speaker 3: And and I mean the Patriots are in no mood to talk about the game. They probably they probably at some level, not that they you don't have anything to be ashamed of or embarrassed, but it is also this work in progress when you're in preseason and I know that the reporters they are doing their jobs, and well, you know, wanted to ask questions about you know, execution and plays. You know, I have to constantly remind myself that these guys are treating these games as some version of a very high level practice and and to sit there and have to answer questions about what is essentially, you know, an exhibition of sorts. I know we're not supposed to use that word. I know that you know, there's well, the NFL doesn't like you to use it, you know, the team doesn't like you to use it. But it's it's probably my numbing for them to have to answer questions like, you know, what were you thinking on that play? And it's like, I was thinking about a bunch of stuff that we're working on right now. I wasn't thinking about executing so that we could get the w It's just it's a whole different mindset for these guys in these games, and we do we look at them as games. We're like, the game's on tonight, it's not really a game. So for Belichick or mac Jones or anyone else to not have to answer questions about the game, it's probably a relief to them because they know it's not really a game.
Speaker 1: You're you're probably right.
Speaker 5: I had made the comment that I just feel like asking eight or nine questions about Isaiah Bolden to me is counterproductive. I would, I would, I would let these guys, Let them get with their team, Let them get you know that. Yeah, you know you come out, what do you what do you need their comments for? Like there's more important things to worry about.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, let us use that as a as a basis, as a baseline. Number one, the only thing to take away from this game is hopefully for you know, more good news on Isaiah Bolden, just in addition to the these you know, his feeling is an extremities and they're taking him a hospital as what what feels like testing or maybe at best just precaution. So that is our baseline other takeaways from the game as we wrap things up here on the post game show, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I think just some of the issues that have been consistent in the summer offensive line, you know, continue to pop up. But you know, I think still some rays of optimism for the offense overall, and you know, some some you know issues up front with the defense. But you know, they're veteran groups, so I got to think that they'll that they'll pull that stuff together, you know. So overall, I think that there were some strides, certainly some positions to look at, but you know, overall, I think it'll be good to get another week in Tennessee, face another physical football team, and I think they need it.
Speaker 5: Paul, Yeah, I would echo a lot of what Mike said. I thought there were some some flashes of optimism tonight. Offensively, probably not enough, but you know, I think that there were some things that you know, Kendrick Bourne, Tomorrio, Douglas mac Jones, you could see why they had some success on Thursday with some of the things that they did tonight. Now let's you know, can you build off of that? Can you stack it together and have a good week in Tennessee. And I'd like to see that, maybe have two good practices with Tennessee as opposed to one, you know, you know, one really good day. So that's what I'm looking for in Nashville next week.
Speaker 4: I'd just say one more thing, Hardy is you know, as Paul mentioned, Bill's gonna speak tomorrow, I think at like two or three o'clock in the afternoon. So I mean, you know, just my hope is that by that point, We've got some good news on Bolden's status, and Bill's able to then maybe comment on the football game tonight and we can get back to football.
Speaker 1: Hopefully maybe tomorrow.
Speaker 5: So just reading between the lines, it says, I think it's two o'clock Central, so it'll be three o'clock our time, which to me would indicate that the plan was already to stay in Green Bay tonight, so they're gonna be flying out to Nashville in the morning.
Speaker 1: So that's my guess.
Speaker 5: Is that press conference, that conference call being that late would indicate once they get to Nashville, right, because that's still Central time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, Christ.
Speaker 5: If that doesn't change, that's a good thing. Yes, you know, in terms of Isaiah Bolden, if you don't see any updates with that, then that means they're they're going to be leaving as normal, and I think that's a good sign.
Speaker 3: All right, So continued prayers and well wishes for Isaiah Bolden as we put a ball on this preseason game number two. The game was shortened and with ten twenty nine left in the game, the score was Packers seventeen, Patriots twenty one.
Speaker 1: That's for your point, that's right. At you poor to me, I do, I do.
Speaker 3: Thank you everybody for being a part of the pre and the postgame show. We will talk to you on Friday for the third and final preseason game.
Speaker 1: We'll speak with you then.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening and watching.
Speaker 1: Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.