Speaker 1: And now move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up about the world. It has moved the sticks. I am Bucket Brooks.
Speaker 3: I'm joined here by my man Rhett Lewis and Rhett we are going to talk all things ball as we were coming off the heels of the schedule release and all of that. But before we get to that, like, HTT, I kind of want to talk about your favorite guy because I felt like your favorite play in the draft was Tyler Shutt from the New Orleans Saints. And since the last time we talked about the New Orleans Saints, their quarterback one, they QB one retired and so we'll talk about it. It's time for the Hot or Not brought to you Bob with Sabi Hot Cloud Storage and HT. What we're gonna talk about is we're gonna talk about Tyler Shutt, his chances of starting, and what's some of the other rookie quarterbacks and looking, let's start with your man in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, I think you know, just overall, I think when they made this selection, like we had already kind of we'd already kind of known that they Derek Carr could miss this season, retirement was a possibility. So like I looked at that, like, they get him fortieth overall third quarterback off the board right there, you know, top half of the second round. I'm like, this is your Week one starter right here. Yeah, for the dates. That's what it felt like to me at the time. I mean, this is not a twenty one year old quarterback with twelve starts, you know under his belt. This is a twenty five year old. It's been in college football for seven years. He's been through five different offenses, have seen pretty much everything that college football has to offer, both offensively and defensively. Like if there was a dude in this class that's ready to start, it's him now ready to start, and you know, being productive, I think are two different things. Like he still has all the talent too, right, you know, big arm, big frame, athletic. He's got a really mature head on his shoulders too. So when I see this, you know for the Saints, and I see you know that their first game is going to be at home against the Arizona Cardinals week once, September seventh, at a one o'clock game on CBS.
Speaker 1: Like that to me, is Tyler Shuck's debut Like that.
Speaker 4: Is like, I just don't see a world And look, we saw the Spencer Ratler experience last year. At times, maybe he gets a little bit better, you know, a full year under his belt, new system with Kellen Moore. But I don't look at this and see any other scenario other than Tyler Shucks starting for the Saints and trying to beat the Kyler Murray led Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's funny, Like there are a few things. Typically when you're in the front office and you're about to make this pick and you had a quarterback that is on demand or quarterback that's contemplating retirement, you begin to make plans that he's not going to be around. I believe that the Saints one knew that Derek Carr likely was not going to be around next year, and the pick that they made with Tyler ship was intentional. It was done with the intent of he is going to be the starting quarterback and we're going to put him into quarterback room with Jay Hayner and Spencer Ratley, but we expect him to win the competition, and look, I think they're scripted out and they will make it appear to be fair where everyone will get equal opportunity.
Speaker 2: But in my.
Speaker 3: Mind, they are He's on the inside track to be the start quarterback when they kick off, because we've already seen the other guys play, even though they played not for killing more, we've seen them start games for the Saints, and yet a coaching staff is changed, but the front office hasn't, and they elected to take a quarterback. To me, it means that Tylers Shutt is the guy to expect to be the quarterback when they kick it off.
Speaker 4: So look, let's look at this thing from the Saints' schedule perspective here right now that that is fresh and hot off the presses after the NFL Network schedule release show last night. Cardinals are the opener. They get another home game in week two against the forty nine ers. That'll be a brand new look defense, right, a lot of new names on that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Sure there's still some of the stalwarts, right, You still got Fred Warner, still got Nick Bosa. But they went heavy rookies, excuse me, heavy in the draft on defense, so we'll see you could see a lot of those guys. So you get two home games to start, that feels pretty good. And then you've got two big road trips up to see the twelves in Seattle to take on the Seahawks and Mike McDonald's pretty advanced and difficult to deal with type of defense. And then you go up and you deal with the Buffalo Bills right in Buffalo. So at Seattle in Buffalo, two of the toughest places to play in the league are your first two road environments before you come back home for another two against the Giants and the Patriots, which maybe feels like a little bit of a reset, and not to say a breather, but a breath right at that point after really, I mean like, look, you've got the Cardinals and Niners. Cardinals are on are trending upwards. You got those teams are going to be battling, you know, to deal with the Rams in the NFC West, same with the Seahawks. So back to back to back out of the NFC West, and then you go to the Buffalo Bills or a Super Bowl contender like there is. This is not We're not easing into this thing by any means for shucking the Saints.
Speaker 3: No, And that's why, given the situation where Look, you don't have a veteran quarterback that is someone that can take those early losses while he kind of acclimates to the pro game, I think you just drop him right in the deep end because if you're killing more. Look, I'm not trying to start this process with starting a quarterback who's not gonna be my long term solution. Take a couple l's and then put my guy in. I might as well have him work through whatever issues he's going to face while we're trying to put this all together. And the year to do it is now, because the first year of Killing Moore's tenure. He's a rookie, but he's an older, more mature rookie. Why not just start the situation? And considering the preseason is only three preseason games, so he may not get a ton of work. He is going to have to use the first part of the regular season to get ready to play in the NFL, So why.
Speaker 4: Not just make it up and then look that first half of the season, you're going to see the majority of your most difficult opponents, right we talked about the first four and then you have you know at Chicago, it's going to be a better team with Ben Johnson. That's kind of an interesting one to look at too. And then you got to be your home against the Bucks in your first division game, and then you got to go to La to face the Rams, gonna be a Super Bowl contender once again. But then like you go to Carolina take on the Panthers, and look, every game in the NFC South is a winnable game. Yeah, I thinka Tampa is is kind of the head of the class right now and should be. They've been, uh, you know, winning the division and all that, and the Falcons will challenge. But like I think with the way that the division is constructed, those are always going to be games that you know, obviously you want to really effort to, but I think have a possibility, you know, to compete in. So they got Panthers Falcons to Miami to battle the Dolphins, Bucks again, Panthers again, Jets, Titans, Falcons. It is a way more favorable second half of the schedule for Tyler Shuck and the Saints. So like, you know, if you're if you can come out of this thing in the first half and five hundred, like you've got an opportunity to make a real playoff push towards the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the thing, and that's that'll be the challenge for Kellen Moore.
Speaker 3: Can he keep the team together the way that he goes about building the team out where we may start slow but finished fast.
Speaker 2: Can we keep everybody together and a lot of that now.
Speaker 3: I think Derek Carr did them a solid by letting them know now that he was going to be because now the entire way that they script the OTA calendar and all of that, they can begin to really get their young quarterback ready to play. And speaking of young quarterbacks getting ready to play, we have the number one overall pick cam Ward Tennessee Titans. Their schedule comes out. We are assuming that he's going to be the starter they had Will Levis last year. But look, cam Ward was drafted number one overall. There's a lot of excitement and buzz just general thoughts about what is on the horizon for cam Warden and Tennessee Titans when they open this schedule.
Speaker 1: Four of six road game four of six for their first.
Speaker 4: Six games on the road, including the opener against the Denver Broncos. Again, up and coming team, really good defense that got better too in the draft right that Jday Baron was their first round draft pick. You throw him in there with Pat Certan and with that whole crew there in Denver.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a good group. It got better.
Speaker 4: Drake Greenlaw, you know, comes over from the linebacker spot, and that's that's a that's gonna be a real test. And then you and then you're you're at home against the Rams, home against the Colts in your first divisional matchup.
Speaker 1: Then you got a trio, a trio of.
Speaker 4: Back to back to back road games Texans, Cardinals, Raiders, so.
Speaker 1: It's look again.
Speaker 4: And then you get Patriots, Colts, Chargers to kind of finish out the first half of the schedule before you get a week ten by Again, it's just there's no eason end of this thing. I don't know that there's a team that is going to ease into this thing.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, I think the competitiveness of the league, even at the bottom, is so much better now based off what we've seen at least on paper. Sure a lot's going to change based off what happens in training camp and injuries and all that, but overall, I mean, again, throw them right into the fire and I don't think they drafted cam Ward number one overall to sit behind Will Levis.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think that's the case at all. Too much excitement about cam Ward down to Tennessee. They're trying to build it up, and you're right, it's a tough way to start for the first six games being on the road. You think about who the opponents are and then transitioning into the division.
Speaker 4: No primetime games, by the way, no prime time games for the Tennessee Titans, which is kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean, no one overall. I mean, look, yeah, you earned the one overall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm not I'm not necessarily surprised it didn't get a a thing.
Speaker 2: Well maybe didn't. They used to always get a Thursday night.
Speaker 4: Or yeah, Jackson, now they could get Annie Bo said they could get flexed in, right, that's part of the program down the stretch, you know as well. It could get flexed in if things start going well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so we'll see what the Titans have to do. The one thing, man, that that that opener against the Broncos advanced Joseph and how they like the dial up pressure from everywhere. Cam Ward is going to have to be on his p's and q's because it'll be a challenging game mentally and physically based on what he's going to face. Now, the guy who's not slated to start, we don't expect Jackson Dark uh Jazz taking at the bottom.
Speaker 2: Of the first round. But look, I love this and I know, you know.
Speaker 3: Jamis and the experience Jameis Winston. I love the n L Jameis Winston and Jackson Dark hugging him, kind of taking him under his wing, Jackson Dart talking about that, like that's super cool.
Speaker 2: But now is how long before Jackson.
Speaker 3: Dark plays for the New York Jazts Because the clock is we're we're on the clock.
Speaker 4: The clock is still and let's and let's say this Like that always felt like that was going to be the relationship, right, it was gonna be Jamis and Jackson, because Russell Wilson has got to view this as his last gasp at a starting gig in the league, right, I mean, this is this is what team number four, and so like this is this is kind of going to be it, right, and so like he ain't got time to you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm just just seriously, I don't say he's going to be a bad guy or anything.
Speaker 1: It's like he you know, like he's got to work it.
Speaker 4: So that that to me, like jamis you know that that feels like a good spot for that relationship to be. But look Week one, you know, on the road in the division against a team that was playing, you know, for a super Bowl shot in the Washington Commanders with their now second year quarterback Jaden Daniels, who was thrown right into the fire right as the number two overall pick and then second quarterback draft, and now Jackson was obviously the second first round pick for the Giants all the way down there, you know, at twenty five. Then they got to go to Dallas Week two, by the way, Dallas Cowboys way up there, primetime games. We'll get to that here in say, but period didn't make the playoffs, right and yeah, oh I get it, I get it. We're gonna see them a bunch, including in the kickoff game right as they traveled Affilly to take on the Eagles. All right, So if I'm looking at this, if I'm a Giants fan, and I'm saying, let's just say Jackson doesn't start Week one, when does he start? Like that's always a popular conversation topic. And as you look at this, I see boy Commander's Cowboys, then Chiefs and Chargers at home. You go to New Orleans to take on the Saints. Then on a short week you get the defending Super Bowl champion Eagles at home. So to me, you get a mini buy right, you get ten days after the Eagles game from October ninth to then October nineteenth, Week seven at Denver. To me feels like the landing spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, I think ideally you love a home game, right, But.
Speaker 3: In a perfect world, man, you know us to take some of these hits early. You wing Jackson to learn as much as he can for as long as he can. The thing that is different about this situation and some I mean, you have a coach and a gentle manager that's on the hot seat, like people will say squarely all the time, pious. So they have to get this going one way or the other. Either they have to get the team up and going, or they got to get the young quarterback up and going. I think this is almost like a quarterly evaluation. Let's get to the first four games. Let's see where we're at. If it doesn't look great, Jackson get ready, because you may not have time to wait until like mid season to be able to put Jackson Dart into the starting quarterback.
Speaker 4: No, and look at it, but from all that we've seen that the Giants have released from his thirty visit and from the time that they've spent with him, and the way that Joe Shane said on the phone, Hey, you dominated the process for us and.
Speaker 1: It was rigorous. Right, they won't put him through it. Right.
Speaker 4: He does seem like the type of player with the mental acuity to deal with the short week. I just don't know that you want him to have to do that, especially with the with the defending champs on the other side of it.
Speaker 1: In that, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Maybe you wait. Maybe you wait because that's the mini buys.
Speaker 3: So maybe you wait until Yeah, after that, then you get a full extended week to be able to go to work and get some of that stuff done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But then you get the Broncos at Denver and then at So you're gonna play the Eagles twice in three weeks the Thursday night or excuse me, twice in seventeen days.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't have them. You gotta plays levels.
Speaker 3: So we got to pick out for Jackson, what's the best place to kind of drop him in the pool and let him get to swimming without the floaties.
Speaker 1: Because they don't have to buy week until week fourteen. But so he ain't waiting that long.
Speaker 2: If we got to happen, he's got he's got a game.
Speaker 3: So maybe that Thursday night game represents, Hey, we need to know if the if the ship is.
Speaker 2: Sinking, he's the life. We got to throw it out after that game. Right, that's crazy. That was this week's Hot or Not segment, presented to you with Sabbi Hoigh Cloud storage, store more and do more with your data, try to them for free at Withsabi dot com. Right, what else from the schedule release stood out to you? What else popped up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Look, I think you know, we had kind of known about a lot of the international games that was all released ahead of time GMFBT. I think the fact that we are playing seven games overseas in a bunch of different countries. Right, We're gonna have three in London, We're gonna have one in Madrid, we have one in Berlin, we're gonna have one in Ireland. We're gonna have the Vikings playing back to back games overseas in two different countries. First against the Steelers I believe that's Week four for Minnesota against in Dublin, and then they're gonna be at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium Week five against the Cleveland Browns. Both those games will be with US on NFL Network, which is super cool. So I think I like the international you know, kind of details are always pretty interesting to me. Again, those had kind of come out ahead of the full schedule release, but then looking at some of the other games that come out as part of this, like the Christmas Day slate, which I think is super super cool, and you know with that, we're going to be talking about two Division games there in the Christmas Day games, you pull.
Speaker 1: Those up right here. Let's see.
Speaker 4: Oh, by the way, the Chiefs again playing on Thanksgiving and on Christmas Holliday stup when they're going to visit the Cowboys. Chiefs and Cowboys. It would be the four thirty game on Thanksgiving Day.
Speaker 2: You know, it would be great.
Speaker 3: It would be great for Taylor Swift to drop Dead Christmas album all right on Thanksgiving Thanksgiving weekend. That would be a perfect time for that to happen, Like let's take full advantage of being able to get all the clicks and all eyeballs on.
Speaker 2: You can't see the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's see here again taking a look at this.
Speaker 2: Prime time games.
Speaker 4: So the Chiefs ended up with the most primetime games. No surprise really there. I mean I think you could have made the argument it should it should have been the Eagles, the super Bowl champs, but no problems with that. Again, the Cowboys with six second most, you know, coming off a season that was less than in terms of expectation.
Speaker 1: You got a first year head coach.
Speaker 4: Though, I think there's some intrigue there, and you know, now some of the moves that they have made.
Speaker 1: I think the one thing I'm.
Speaker 4: Always curious about is, you know, how much of the schedule gets taken into account post draft, you know, right, because that's two weeks ago now, and so how much of that gets put in you know, where you're trying to see rookie rookies and and identifying places where you're gonna see the rookie quarterbacks and that old thing.
Speaker 1: I think that part's always pretty pretty intriguing to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that bore It is really intriguing because you want to see some of those matchups. You want to see some of the market names, serious and fascination with Travis on So he gets a primetime game. The Kancity Chiefs come to Jackson. We all take on the Jaguars on a Monday night, so the world to get a chance to see the two way player, see if he actually does it two ways while going against the perennial title contenders in the kan City Chiefs.
Speaker 2: But I'm also not surprised.
Speaker 3: But I will say, like the the love that you mentioned the Cowboys are getting, why are the Cowboys getting love? We know they're a big brand and we know all of that, but typically we're looking for those twos we feel like that are gonna pop.
Speaker 1: George.
Speaker 4: Did the George Pickens move really move the needle for for a ws and and the schedule mechanism.
Speaker 3: It seems like maybe there's like a little bonus points section for George Pickens because they got a lot of love, a lot of.
Speaker 4: Mark one of those big time games, as I mentioned briefly and was trying to find the exact details, but now got them. The Christmas Day schedule on Netflix starts with Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys in Washington. Commanders hosting the Cowboys in a division game the first game on a Christmas Day doubleheader on Netflix will be super compelling. It's a week seventeen game, right, so one week before we close out the regular season. It could be playoffs on the line for the Cowboys Commanders. You know, if they go as well as things were going a year ago. You know, if they continue to build off that, you could be fighting for seeding. You know, there shoot could be talking about a buy, you know at that point for the Commanders, the way things went so well from a year ago, and then you finish it off with the way we actually finished off the regular season in the final regular season game a year ago, remember it was the Lions and Vikings, and it was you're either the one seed or you're on the road to begin the playoffs as a five seed like that. That's really compelling to be Lions and Vikings for the nightcap or evening game there on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's so many different things about the schedule that I'm fascinated by. It's not only the primetime games. How the schedule makers elected to finish the season when they were building it out the international games and the fun that comes with that, and how they were kind of dropping the clues late right before we had the official schedule release and everyone playing everywhere. I love all of that, But the thing that I love most about the schedule release is I feel like everyone has stepped up the game when it comes to making a video to release their team's own schedule. So the Buffalo Bills decided to use AI, and so most of us would associate AI with artificial intelligence, but no, they utilized Alan Iverson to drop their.
Speaker 1: Schedule and that was kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was funny. We got other guys doing it. We got social media stores being used in Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: Like, know, did you get an autograph?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Did you you get a photo with him? You do that the face ice plunge?
Speaker 3: No, No, I didn't. I needed to put his clothes on like that. That didn't appeal to me. But like someone who has a daughter, like an appeal didn't It wasn't really my jam, But I get it. But but I understand, and I feel like, look, man, the social media managers are also very competitive in the schedule releases, kind of like there is a little bit like they're Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Oh it is a little bit. It is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's big, and there's some that you know, and took it a step too far if everyone's already yeah yeah yeah, like like bolts and all that, and they've had to take theirs down.
Speaker 1: But I think for the for the most part, it's a really.
Speaker 4: Cool way to engage the fans. And I think again, for the most part, all those those accounts and the admins for those accounts put a great deal of effort and all that, and it ends up being really really neat. I think my favorite one will still and will always be the Titans interviewing random people on Broadway down there and.
Speaker 1: Like getting the brand of names for the teams. That was, without question the best.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love yeah, I love it. I love you.
Speaker 4: Got other scheduling quirks, Let's just let's just look because Week one has become like a five day event, right. It starts on Thursday. We get a Friday game, we got Sunday games, we get that. Then the first Monday night football game so on the season opening game is obviously Thursday, September fourth, that's in Philly, uh and that will be uh a divisional battle, right Cowboys visiting the Philadelphia Eagles. We then get on Friday, September fifth, that's a game that's on YouTube and YouTube TV, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Los Angeles Chargers. So two straight divisional games, the first two games right out of the gates. And that one, of course is going to be a Corinthians Arena in sal Polo, Brazil. Second time we've done that on a Friday night. That one's super cool. And then it continues with the full slate of games. We get three division games in the one PM window. We then get six of the eight teams participating in the late window on Kickoff Weekend presented by YouTube TV that won at least ten games last season, highly compelling matchups. On the first Sunday of the season, which we then finish, we get Sunday Night Football Josh Allen and the Bills and the Ravens rematch of the AFC Divisional rounde. That's going to be awesome. And then Monday we get the Vikings and the Bears. So you get Ben Johnson's debut as the head coach, you get JJ McCarthy's debut is QB one in Minnesota. It is like, there is not a matchup that is not there is there is not one matchup that does not register to me.
Speaker 1: As Musty TV on week.
Speaker 3: One, they do a fascinating job of building interest in entry in the program. And you think about week one, do you think about how all of a sudden the league decided that, look, we used to own Thanksgiven, but hey, we're going Christmas too.
Speaker 2: It makes it at Christmas becomes that day like we can do it. We're gonna we gonna.
Speaker 1: Football playoff be damn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, might as well watch us. If you're gonna watch football, I might as well watch the best show in town. Yeah, you have, you have all of that stuff going. You have the exclusive streaming games. YouTube is now in the game. Like, there's just so much stuff that the league has kind of tapped into. And the one thing that we know, man, more football is always better for us because we'll watch it whenever you put it, whatever day you put it on, wherever you put it out, We're gonna check it out.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then lastly, the thing I'll say that continues to be a cool piece of this that does kind of get lost. You know, sometimes in the frustration of the streamers joining the party when you don't have subscriptions to those uh, those particular platforms. Every regular season game and every postseason game is still for free on over the air television in the local markets of the game of the teams that are playing, despite what streaming platform they may be on, so that local fan base is not going to miss a game, which I think is it is a great way to continue bringing more people into the party in terms of rights holders and in terms of you know, viewing platforms, but also keeping the fans frontline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fans continue to benefit. They can even win.
Speaker 3: And even though it's tougher to kind of find and navigate and find some of these things. More opportunities for teams to play marquee games for different games, special venues, special events.
Speaker 2: I love it. And then the red I get to as you know, as a travel buff, I get to make another check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's we go across from wimble Baby Home away from Home.
Speaker 2: Home away from Home. We get a chance to see my people over there. That's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'll see m j D over there too, because the Rams will be there taking on the Jags, all right.
Speaker 3: I know, we may have to put a little friendly wage on on it with MD and he has to make sure his lawyer his allegiances are defined.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a tough one. That's a tough one. Now is he gonna do a RAMS event or a JAGS event?
Speaker 2: I don't know how am I going?
Speaker 3: How am I going to advocate for him to wing to the ring of honor if he doesn't, If he doesn't go, hey, you can't go into the Pride.
Speaker 4: If he doesn't be wearing that, can't be wearing that that that RAMS ring.
Speaker 3: You can't be talking about Ramilly and all the other silly stuff that he does. Like we're gonna test We're gonna test.
Speaker 2: Those with the press.
Speaker 3: That's all I got, butul reappreciate you jumping in for djuh.
Speaker 2: Guys, that was with the sticks. We'll be back next week for more episodes. Until then, have fun.