Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show come on. In stay a while, Charles Barkley will stop by. Stat of the Day always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. There was an interesting stat and I had not heard this stat before. No team has ever won a Super Bowl while not having any takeaways during the postseason. The Chiefs do not have a takeaway yet this postseason. I don't know how many times we've had teams that have gone into the Super Bowl with that stat but no takeaways here. Also, no players ever scored a touchdown or rush for one hundred yards or more in the Super Bowl on their birthday. Saquon Barkley's birthday is February ninth. Now, well, but I don't know how many running backs have celebrated their birthday on the day of the Super Bowl. So it's a weird stat where you go, oh my gosh, I don't know how many of those running backs you know had their birthday on Super Bowl Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin Bam Morris his birthday was on Super Bowl thirty oh.
Speaker 2: Look at you Blue Blue.
Speaker 3: No, No, absolutely not. You know what Wore's birthday was.
Speaker 2: Why are you doing stuff like that? Yes, Paulie, I don't know what's going.
Speaker 4: To be like to be a New York Giants fan watching that game on Sunday. That is brutal because you you don't want to root against Saquon Barkley, but if he wins MVP, it's double the pain.
Speaker 2: The countdown is on Celebrate One Night fifty years in the making, the Saturday Night Live fiftieth anniversary special premiere Sunday, February sixteenth on NBC and Peacock. From Saquon Barkley to Charles Barkley. No relation that I know of. Turn your sports inside the NBA, and you're not related to Saquon Barkley. Are you.
Speaker 5: Claiming? And I don't care if we are and not. I don't think we are. But I'm playing them. I'm claiming. I've been claiming in my all year. He's my cousin. I don't care what anybody says.
Speaker 2: Did you play football in high school?
Speaker 6: I played one day.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 5: I realized they were really hitting people out there. You know, that's the reason football is my favorite sport. It takes tremendous courage to go out there. You know, football and boxing and my two favorite sports. I played football for one day I realized they were nuts. They're tougher than me, and I quit.
Speaker 2: And you're not much of a boxer either.
Speaker 6: I can fight a little bit. I can hold my own.
Speaker 5: The good thing about fighting boxing is different boxing. Y'all got gloves on, trying to hit each other. Fighting whatever you can get your hands on to hit somebody, that's what goes. That's a big difference.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, also when you fought in the NBA, somebody was usually going to grab you, so it didn't escalate too much further.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, if you're out there fight any way, you're punk. You know, Kevin McHale, the best player I ever played against, always said he said the thing I know. He says, I never worried about the pistions. He says, they're out the beating up people. At some point, you got to play basketball, and only two of the guys can play, Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars, and we were gonna win eventually.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 5: The rest of those guys out there just beating up people, he said, but as she s a Charles. At some point we realized they had to play basketball and the other two guys they had we were worried about Isaiah and Joe Thomas, Joe Dumars my bad.
Speaker 2: All right, who are you betting on Super Bowl Sunday?
Speaker 5: My Philadelphia Eagles. Then I'm a big Eagles fan. We're putting the end of this reign of terror in Kansas City. You know what's really crazy. I love Pat Mahons and Travis Kelsey, but I'll bet against them every game in the last two years because I actually thought they were.
Speaker 6: Going to lose.
Speaker 5: The only game I actually won in the last two years is when for some reason and to read, ran out of the end zone and.
Speaker 6: I covered with the safety by half a point. I have lost.
Speaker 5: I think it's I think it's six straight games I bet against the Chiefs. I thought they would lose. You know, two years ago, the law oftimes they're gonna lose at Buffalo. Then I thought they would lose to the Ravens. Then I had San Francisco in the Super Bowl. I didn't think they were gonna lose to the Texans, but I thought the Texans would cover then I had the bills.
Speaker 6: I'm rooting for the bills and they didn't.
Speaker 5: But hey, I haven't learned my lessons I'm taking and it's just ironic. I'm really an Eagle fan. But the rain of Terror is over Sunday night.
Speaker 2: Why don't you just give your money to charity and not bet on the game.
Speaker 5: I will be at a casino. Why would I go to a casino and not bet on the game?
Speaker 2: I know, but you tend to lose a lot.
Speaker 6: I got a lot.
Speaker 2: And this doesn't even incorporate your new deal that you're going to have with your TV partner, your next one.
Speaker 5: Hey, listen, I'm trying to figure out all that stuff out, Dan. It's been very fascinated behind the scenes. There's been a lot of shit, canay going on behind the scenes that I haven't been happy with, and I'm hoping everything works out. But it's been fascinated dealing with all the tntbs.
Speaker 6: This entire time.
Speaker 2: Okay, why haven't you reached out to me privately?
Speaker 5: Well, Dan, I'm just trying to figure out. Like I say, I don't have to make a decision asap.
Speaker 2: But I can help you. I've been at a couple of places that you're probably negotiating with. If you had questions, I would give you honest answers. I've done that for other athletes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, listen.
Speaker 5: It was really fascinating people talking about money and all this other stuff. I dude, I ain't worried about no money. My decision was gonna come down strictly to one thing. My workload. I've been I've been to TNT for twenty five years. Then I'm really good at working one day a week. I am great at it.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: So you know, I was like, yo, man, I'm not going work. I'm gonna be older. I'll be six to two in a couple of weeks. I'm not going to work more as I get older. That was my only concern. And NBC was great, you know, Mark Lass and Greg Hughes were great to me, but I turned their offer down because they had too much stuff in there for me to do. And then I counseled all the stuff all the other means. With Amazon. They were great at Amazon, but after meeting with ESPN they made me feel better. But I just want to get between TNT and ESPN. I said, I just want to figure out which my workload. They haven't given me an a definitive answer, because I don't think they know their definitive answer, to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: So you could stay at TNT.
Speaker 1: I could.
Speaker 5: I could always have stayed a TNT, but I put in my contract I could get out of there if they lost the NBA. You know, it's really funny the TNT people, they're stupid. They tried to say to me that I was They wrote a c Center Assist letter to Amazon and NBC, and it really pissed me off because, wait a minute, but they're trying to say that they traded my show to ESPN, and that's the same as them keeping it. I'm like, I don't think that's the way it works'.
Speaker 6: That's what they were trying that.
Speaker 5: We were having some heated discussions behind scenes down in Atlanta.
Speaker 6: I was like, wait a minute.
Speaker 5: Yah, they sent a c Cent Assist letter to NBC and Amazon saying I wasn't available. I said, that's not the way my contract reads. Y'all lost the NBA. If I wanted to leave, I could leave. That was the ball of contention. I says, They're like, no, you on the contract. I said, well, I'll take my chances in court. And I felt really good about my chances in court because, regardless of what they say, Dan, them trading us to ESP and ain't the same as us being on the contract to T and T.
Speaker 2: It's Charles Barkley, Hall of Famer, Turner Sports for the moment inside the NBA analyst who won the Luca ad trade. Right now, let's look at it as of today.
Speaker 5: Oh, the Dallas Mavericks their contender right away.
Speaker 6: They got a really good team.
Speaker 5: People forgetting about mass Christian mass Christy gonna help the MAVs.
Speaker 6: But listen, ad was ay d You know, he's played.
Speaker 5: Great the last couple of years, and if he plays like he's played to Guay was just coming off a forty twenty game, and if he plays like that. Because what's interesting about the NBA, Dan, I'm not sure who the favorite is right now. We can say, okay, see they're the favorite in the West, but the Apps are the second best team in the West right this day. And I'm not sure what's going on with the Celtics. So man, we could talk all the noise we want to. The championship is up for grabs right now. The Celtics have not looked good all year in my opinion. But in the West, Okac is the prohibit a favorite. But man, they've never been in the fire before day and that's the favorite going in. So that's gonna be a shock to their system with everybody gunning for him. But right now, the MAVs one is for the next two or three years.
Speaker 6: The mav won the trade.
Speaker 2: Now that Lebron has Luca, Lebron more likely to stay an extra year or two or maybe leave or retired.
Speaker 5: You know, that's a fascinating question, like is he what is he hanging around for? I personally think if I was him, the Lakers are not contenders right now. I would waive my note trade I do with Tom Brady and go put myself in a perfect situation where I can have two more bites of the apple. And I don't know the perfect situation. But he's he's holding all the cards. He can go to the Leger and say, hey, let's have our cake and eat it too. I can get you all a couple of players, maybe a couple of draft picks. Let's pick out a perfect scenario. That's what Tom Brady did. Took the perfect situation in Tampa. If I'm Lebron, I can say we're not gonna win the championship this year or next year, let's trade to a perfect scenario.
Speaker 6: But they can, like I say, the only.
Speaker 5: Problem they got right now they got to make decisions by Thursday at four o'clock.
Speaker 6: But you know that's a lot of time in NBA years.
Speaker 5: That's what I was I would do if I was him.
Speaker 2: When you hear the criticism or teaks of Luca's uh you know, physical shape of how do you react to them?
Speaker 5: Well, Dan, if everybody's saying it, it's probably fair. You know everybody's been I find it fascinating that all of us have been talking about Luca's conditioning for three years now, all of a sudden it's an insult.
Speaker 6: Like I don't think people were hiding it.
Speaker 5: I think everybody's heard the same criticism for three years now, all of a sudden, I saw its dead, Like they're saying these things.
Speaker 6: About my son. I'm like, well, mister Dunchegan, fairness.
Speaker 5: I watched TV. I got a TV. They've been saying the same thing for three years. They're not saying it like out of the blue, but I will say this, he's a great, great player, But then the Dallas maverage know him better than anybody. I know he's a great player from a distance, but the Dallas map had to make a decision do we get this guy five years through one hundred and fifty million dollars.
Speaker 6: I give them credit. They made a decision.
Speaker 5: It might come back to bite them in the ass, but that's your job.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 5: Listen, a year ago, we were all pat Nko on the back because he went out and got gafferd PJ and all these other guys and got the Mayles to the finals. Now everybody act like it was only Luca and Kyrie that got them to the finals. No, Nico did a tremendous job last year. He made like three or four trades that got the Mayles to the finals. If they just had to had Luca and Kyrie, they wouldn't have made it to the finals last year. But they picked up three pieces during the trade deadline and made them a contender to get to the finals. But like I say, hey, that's the job man Nico, and I gave him credit.
Speaker 6: He went out there and answered all the courtions.
Speaker 5: He didn't run, he didn't hide, a lot of times that these general managers make bad trades. They put out statement and things like that. I give Nico credit. He sat down, he took all the questions. Now I will say this, this is a job trade. This is this is a job trade. If the trade doesn't work, you're gonna lose your job. There's there's there's a there's very there's very few jobs in sports as a general manager of president whoever running things that I call them trade jobs. If the trade doesn't work, you're gonna lose your job. Playing and simple, and it should be like that because I've been saying for years I think the easiest job and the best job in the NBA is running the NBA team because you get to blame three coaches before people.
Speaker 6: Realize you're the problem.
Speaker 5: Because think about that, Dan, very few coaches, maybe Popovich, there's all. How many coaches actually have power to make the great Papa Buson is probably the last guy who get complete power of an NBA team. But the rest of these general manager they get to fire like they get to make ten bad deals and fire three coaches and then people says, well, what's the consistent thing here?
Speaker 6: The general manager? So hey, but that goes with the job. Brother.
Speaker 2: Would you want Jimmy Butler as a teammate.
Speaker 5: I would want Jimmy Butler as a teammate. I think it's a hell of a teammate. But I think Jimmy is misguided because you know, Dan, I've said this before. I'm not just saying for some reason, these players think you they owe you a lifetime contract. Dude, we paid you fifty million dollars last year, this year, and next year, and you're gonna be older and you're starting and you're there in decline anyway, and I see foods on TV time of Jimmy Butler's right, Jimmy Butler is one hundred percent wrong. They don't you take I don't want to still be playing for the sixers of the Suns. They like you get old and they're not gonna pay you. They paid you very Listen. I love Klay Thompson. I love Klay Thompson. He won four championship with the Warriors. The Warriors made a business decision. Clay, you're getting older, you had an achilles, you had an acl We're not going to pay you. I have no problem. That's business man, it's nothing personal.
Speaker 2: Where are you gonna be watching the Super Bowl?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Dan, I take the same twelve guys to Vegas for twenty this'll be our twenty eight straight year. We play golf all day Saturday, we get up Sunday morning, play golf, then we go to the casino with ten thousand people basically in Washington Super Bowl in Vegas.
Speaker 6: I've done it.
Speaker 5: I take the same twelve to fifteen guys every year. It's like it's on the highlights of my year.
Speaker 2: But do you pick up the tab for these freeloaders?
Speaker 5: Well, I got to see how the gambling goes because you know how to Vegas works. You get everything free until you total up at the end of the weekend. Hey, all I have to do is provide the private jet with that comes with the casino and all the rooms are free, all the drinks and stuff are free until Monday morning when you're checking out.
Speaker 6: It depends on how the table's been.
Speaker 2: To you, so you're really paying for the private jet. You lose no trip, That's why they send the private jet because of previous trips.
Speaker 5: When you've lost, you don't lose all the time, Dan, sometimes you win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they send the private jet because they know you're probably they.
Speaker 6: Send the private jet. They send the private jet to get.
Speaker 2: You there because they know what happens when you get there.
Speaker 5: Then you win, sometimes you can't. You know, first of all, I hate when people say, hey, you go. One thing I know about gambling. You're gonna win. Sometimes you're gonna lose. Sometimes that's what gambler is. It's not like I know they set up private jet for a reason. Their job is to get me there. But you know, when I win, the jettis free and all my friends we have a great weekend. All the meals are free. But when I lose, like I've had, I've had my friends joke with me like they're like, man, those steaks and those rooms and they wasn't worth a million dollars. But hey sometimes hey, sometimes hey, but that's the deal Dan, when you go to the Yeah, hey, hey, I've been there twenty eight straight years after this year, so I'm still I'm all.
Speaker 2: Right, have fun, have fun this weekend. Good to talk to you, all right, brother, go birds. That's Charles Barkley. All right, Brady Quinn will join us. We'll talk some football with him. We'll take a break, we'll come back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven PM Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search be known Rich wherever you get your podcasts and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Cavino and Rich. All of our studio guests receive a fantastic gift bag items from Sons, Tregger, Panini, King, Sawaian Rapid Radios. If you're watching on Peacock, we just showed pretty much an introductory instructional video as the Danis are going to play pickleball after the show and its front row back row which means Todd and Seaton versus Marvin and Pauli and they banged it around a little bit yesterday. We have uniforms for you guys to wear. You got special Miller Lites, Sketchers, pickleball shoes nice, so you guys are ready to go solid arch support in those. By the way, we do have we have odds that the backroom guys came up with of like, you know, first injury, who's going to probably hit it into the net most often? So we'll have those prop bets available online if you would like to bet.
Speaker 10: Yes, I haven't seen the uniforms yet.
Speaker 4: Are they like the movie Dodgeball average Joe so silky red and silver whatever.
Speaker 2: Seatan went out and got him yesterday.
Speaker 11: So do you trust Seatans always comedically, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might not disappointed that it's content Spurts.
Speaker 10: You been wearing a half shirt.
Speaker 2: By the way, Marvin had this for me. He said, Hey, have you heard Klay Thompson, the Mavericks guard, talk about when Kobe came out to see Luca. This is when Clay knew that Luca was real And Klay Thompson had this to say about that moment.
Speaker 12: That's actually funny because that's the first thing I told Luca when we met. I was like, man, I knew you were going to be special because he brought Kobe out of the house to go wash and play. And Kobe doesn't just give that love to those who don't earn it. So that's a cool moment.
Speaker 2: And it is when you think about it, Kobe leaving his house to go out and watch Luca play like that was the ultimate compliment. And now Luca a Laker, Yes, Mark.
Speaker 3: Because he sure wasn't watching the Lakers at that point.
Speaker 2: Okay, Blue Bloop. Our next guest played quarterback for Notre Dame. He played quarterback in the NFL. We hung out with him in Dublin a few years back, and he was the best looking guy in the country. Here's Brady Quinn, very crisp handshake there. We were just talking about this that like DAP like I'm I'm a DAP guy. I don't need a handshake, you know. Do you think the commissioner had a tutorial prior to his first draft to understand how to shake hands with draft picks.
Speaker 11: So I actually was Roger Goodell's first draft, so I can go back and recount the fact that being how long I was in the green room, and I think his excitement to get and my family out of his green room probably was part of the reason why we like hugged. But it was more than adapt But I really I don't think anyone gave him too totural.
Speaker 10: I think he just got it in him.
Speaker 2: But he gets a little too into it.
Speaker 11: Well, it's a big moment for a lot of people there, you know, again for our family and for me. I mean, it was a long time building up to that moment. But I got drafted by the team that I root before growing up, and all that Chipotte that we had ordered during that five and a half hour stint or whatever it was, was magically whisked out of his green room.
Speaker 2: Okay, but when you're sitting there, if a draft, a guy who's going to be drafted in the first round says, so I want to bring my girlfriend. Yeah, what would you say as the commissioner or no? You from experience? Oh?
Speaker 11: I mean again, we all knew what we signed up for, whether it was my girlfriend or my parents and everyone else. I think what I would do is I would ask them, does that individual believe their girlfriend's strong enough or their family strong enough to be able to handle the camp or the pressure lights, everything else, Because up until that moment, really they have only experienced things through you. They haven't been there right with you in the spotlight. And I think that's one of the things that I wasn't really thinking about. When you're thinking about going to the NFL draft, you're just thinking about like your dream coming true and getting to play in the NFL, and you're not thinking you're gonna be sitting there for five and a half hours or whatever it was, And you're not also not thinking about how your family's gonna handle that pressure. I mean, you're prepared for it. You've handled a lot of other things your life up to that point, but that's a very different set of circumstances for your family to deal with.
Speaker 2: And trying to figure out who's telling you the truth. Yeah, during the draft process.
Speaker 11: Well, and that was part of my reaction, I think to a number of the picks based on what I was told. You know, we were told something that by Phil Salvage that was completely truthful. He's like, hey, if you enjoy their number three, like we're gonna take Joe Thomas, and my agent, Tom conn at the time told.
Speaker 10: Me the night before he goes.
Speaker 11: I've never had a general manager tell me that before draft he goes. Most times they say things like that as a moke screen. Because in this case they were truthful. And so when that pick came through, I already had an idea in my head. And to Phil's credit, Phil said that because he knew how much it meant to me to be drafted by the Browns, and so I was kind of prepared for it. But some of the other picks I had an idea, but the Miami one was the that was the most surprising. So that was probably more why I would reacted in the way I did because I was really curious to see who they're going to go with instead.
Speaker 2: Well, what happened with Miami.
Speaker 11: They had sent again this is coming from what I had heard from Charlie Weisse. You have to ask him, but they had sent him a package and all the stuff that supposedly said, we know you haven't been a big fan in the past, given that they were division rivals, but hope well after the draft the next day, which I don't think he was a fan at all, after what happened the next day, So yeah, that was that led us to believe that I was going to be Miami Terry Sha their quarterbacks coach. He had actually been with me in Arizona training and preparing for my pro day, for the draft and all of that.
Speaker 10: He left to go take the quarterback coach job.
Speaker 11: So I'm thinking, like, okay, like if he has any say like he'll he's seen my work ethic, you see me, Like he'll be on my side on all this. And they decided to go in a different direction. And that was you know, in the end, you know, I think there were one and fifteen or whatever that season, but it was what it was.
Speaker 2: Take that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know what, I meant to mention this before I come on because it's Super Bowl week, you know, I just came from Radio row, and you know how this goes. I'm gonna thank Travis Matthews because I'm here on behalf of Traps Masters. They've outfitted me Nike Delta who brought me here Uber every you never notice that. I feel like every interview, they're like it's like a they're like a walking NASCAR and everyone's selling something to you.
Speaker 10: Yes, well it's a cause they're like, he save the whales?
Speaker 11: Like, can we make sure that we may draw awareness to saving whales?
Speaker 2: How would you? We're talking to Brady Quinn. He's for sale. By the way, that's right.
Speaker 11: I've got a couple spots here, patches. I don't want to cover the Travis Matthews stuff, but.
Speaker 2: Part of Big Newton Kickoff and a host of two Pros and a Cup of Joe, the radio show that preceeds hours on Fox Sports Radio. When a quarterback has less attempts like Jalen Hurts Justin Herbert, We've seen quarterbacks who were you know, paid a lot of money, But I don't know how you process that like Justin Herbert was able to throw the ball prior to Jim Harball getting there and they got into the playoffs. Right, Jalen Hurts is in a Super Bowl, Say Quon comes in, He's really the focal point of the offense. You know in this pass happy league, is it's still a pass happy league?
Speaker 11: I think it is, although I think you know, the league's always going to go through its ebbs and flows and adjusting. And I think one of the things that you've seen a lot of defensive coordators do is like the in vogue defensive covers, like the shell coverage. You hear about this all the time. And reason why is because you're essentially playing with a lighter box. You're almost enticing or forcing teams to see if they'll run the football.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 11: I mean, we look at the salary cap, we look how the roster now the money's allocator are spent, and oftentimes it hasn't been on the running back position. And it's important because the game has become so much more of a passing and don't get me wrong, it is and always will be because of the rules, the protections quarterbacks are given. Receivers for that matter, too, but I think you're seeing a swing at least in the momentum of saying like you gotta be more balanced, and in part because your best player might be the guy who's behind the quarterback in Saquon Barkley, or it could be Derrick Henry. In that case, the more had an unbelievable season. I think Derrek Henry helped out a little bit too, But by and large, I think you're starting to see that too many defenses are trying to adjust to this game now where there's so many big plays, there's so many things that are happening in the passing game that they're trying to keep it all in front of them, trying to disguise what they're doing pre snap, make it muddy for the quarterback. When you drop back, you're saying, is that quarters is a quarter quarter half? What variation are they doing a lot of times they can do a nice little disguise and how they play a match zone or even man out of it. So there's so many things that happen post snap, it's making it harder on the quarterback. And so again it goes back to what are you Your ultimate task is trying to win?
Speaker 10: And if that's the case.
Speaker 11: How can you figure out way of getting that quarterback to make mistakes turnovers and get him off the field. And oftentimes it's a lot of what these defenses are doing. So in doing that, now offenses have to realize they've got to adjust.
Speaker 10: You got to start working the ball to oftentimes, with the best players out.
Speaker 2: There, can Jalen Hurts win in a shootout against Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean the last time these two teams played, I thought he was arguably the best player in the field. You know, that was kind of his coming to age moment where we all watched him like wow. I mean, he might have been the best player out there, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if we believe that that's who he truly is. He did have an unbelievable game.
Speaker 11: You have to understand, I've watched this young man all his time in Bama, then to Oklahoma, then to the NFL, and he's like machine learning man, Like the more reps he gets.
Speaker 10: The better he gets, the better he gets.
Speaker 11: I think sometimes we take for granted that they've been going through some staff changes too in regards to you know, the play caller, and that's a relationship that it takes time to iron out that the personality of your play caller, the chemistry that you have with that play caller, and how they're going to react.
Speaker 10: So when you make a mistake.
Speaker 2: But why say he took he took the straight jacket off of me talking about his coach. If if you're the best reason, or you know, you play like that, we can win, why would the you know, the perception be the coach has a straight jacket or Jalen Hurts thinks there's a straight jacket on him from his coach.
Speaker 10: Look, he may have said that for a number of reasons.
Speaker 11: It could be like maybe they're protecting him for injury related related issues. It could be, you know, they don't want to show too many things if they feel like they can win with doing less. And obviously that doesn't happen to the playoffs very often, but in the regular season at times, you'll try to hide some stuff sometimes if you can.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's just a weird comment.
Speaker 11: Well, there's been a lot of weird helmets that have come out for the Philadelphia Eagles this year. I mean, you had guys reading books on the sidelines, yeah, or at least looking at a book.
Speaker 10: I don't know how much you can read.
Speaker 11: You don't get a ton of time sometimes in between series and talking to your teammates and your coach.
Speaker 10: But at least A. J.
Speaker 11: Brown had had a book that apparently the book sales are doing great, they're skyrocketing.
Speaker 2: Say, your quarterback, you know you're watching a movie. Yeah, you know you're not watching plays, You're not you know, you're just watching a movie. But it's a movie that really gets you, you know, in the in a moment, and I you know, like, uh whatever, uh taken Shaw Shank redemn shits.
Speaker 3: He can take his the movie like, yeah, you like it?
Speaker 2: Because yes, yes, Todd give give your Liam Neeson.
Speaker 10: I will hunt you down, I will find you and I will period. That was actually kind of scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 11: You could be the voice though not like not seeing you say.
Speaker 2: But what what would happen if you were watching a movie on the sidelines as opposed to reading a book?
Speaker 10: I think we were.
Speaker 11: I mean, first off, it's wild because I've never seen a player read a book in sidelines before.
Speaker 10: Again, for a lot of different reasons, I've always.
Speaker 11: Wondered, like, have we got to the point where we allow players like listen to music or something to help a little bit too. I mean, you see guys doing pregame all the time to help them kind of get in that mindset. Like maybe that's more of a softer way of you're visually not necessarily distracted by a book.
Speaker 2: Or would you have a problem if your teammates reading a book on the sidelines.
Speaker 10: I don't. Yeah, I don't think that'd be a good thing. I'd probably go talk to him and say, hey, man, what's up.
Speaker 11: If it's if it's part of his routine, then you got to let some guys do what they do. I mean that that's there's a lot of guys who I've seen during my time when I played, who had some interesting routines and give me the.
Speaker 10: Weirdest.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do a name.
Speaker 11: I yeah, there was there's one player who like he used to do this tapping sequence to get his mind right, but literally would tap different spots on his head and supposing that helped him like lock in. You know, everyone's got their different thing. Yeah, there's there's a little bit of that, But that then never stroke struck me as odd. You know, I understand the anxiousness or the nerves or excitement, and then sometimes you get like a bad play toposter or something at the Marriott Hotel where you're staying at.
Speaker 10: Shout out to Mary out by the way too for are available. We're promoting everyone here this week.
Speaker 2: If didn't win the MVP this year, I can't see a year where running back back if you well, you have to have a historical season, right Only if he broke the record, I.
Speaker 11: Would actually make more of an argument for like, why are we anointcing the MVP before the season finale? And the only reason I bring that up, and I know everyone's gonna make the case, well, you know, hey.
Speaker 10: This has always been a regular season award. I get that.
Speaker 11: But the truth is is we most often times awarded to teams who were in the playoff hunt. It's the best teams are. Like we looked at Joe Burrow this year. Joe Burrow statistically should have been a lot more talked about in regards to the MVP race. He had a phenomenal season. He was carrying that team. Defensively, they struggled, obviously they've moved on from lou and yet it was like, well, they're not a playoff team, so we can't give him the award.
Speaker 10: It's like, well, all right, what are you doing here? I whonn'tway?
Speaker 11: Just wait till the end of the season, see who wins the Super Bowl and say like that was the best player then Saquon Barkley. If they end up winning and on that team.
Speaker 2: Well, how many MVPs do you think would have gone to different people if we used that concept?
Speaker 10: I don't know. I'd have to go back and look through.
Speaker 11: I mean, I guess the easier question prior to research is how many went to players that did make the playoffs?
Speaker 10: Is there a handful of guys?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Boy? Not in the modern era? And I don't think. But I remember when Andre Dawson won the MVP for the Cubs. They finished last.
Speaker 10: They baseball did it right.
Speaker 2: They could have finished last without him. So it's not like.
Speaker 11: Wow, there's an element to like how much did he help his team? Ex And I get that, Yeah, but doesn't that make an argument.
Speaker 10: For the Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: I have two MVPs in NFL history that's not qualify for the playoffs. Now, it's a long time ago and there were fewer playoff teams. Who wants a shot at this really old school before nineteen seventy five running back one running back one quarterback?
Speaker 10: You were a fan of both of them, Dan.
Speaker 2: Yes, mark O. J.
Speaker 10: Simpsons, Oh J Simpsons.
Speaker 4: I was going to say nineteen seven, but he broke the record that without making the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow? And then quarterback.
Speaker 10: Johnny United nineteen sixty seven. Okay, dang.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But back then you had two teams that made the play or again made the playoffs and they played each other in the Super Bowl. Yeah, yeah, yeah, or there'd be like the NFL and the AFL, you know, back then.
Speaker 10: But I think you get my point.
Speaker 11: You know, when we're looking at how we're going about qualifying, like what is the MVP, it's like And honestly, this conversation kind of was drawn up by Cam and talking about like would you trade your MVP for a Super Bowl? And his response was probably surprising the most. I mean, that's his perspective, that's how he feels. But it led me to think, well, all right, let's just look again how we're determining who the MVP of the league is.
Speaker 10: Should we wait and make it after the season's all?
Speaker 2: So he could have lost that Super Bowl the way he played or lost the MVP by the way he played in the Super Bowl potentially, Yeah, rich Gannon was an MVP and he that was the year they lost to right or No, was it Tampa when he was m VP Mark when they had Tampa? Yep, so you might have lost it there as well. Yeah, how's the shoulder by.
Speaker 11: The way, Well, I was gonna say, my attorney will be reaching out at some point. I know this is a few years better. Are you still tried to say there's a statute of limitation? But I don't think so. We've got to We've got a workman's copy issue that's going on here.
Speaker 2: Did you hurt your shoulder throwing the bowl in your zona?
Speaker 11: I cannot confirm that, And my attorney's told me to not say anything on the on the show.
Speaker 2: So you're soft at least, I mean, isn't that all the sudden? The sponsor is bad.
Speaker 11: You know, you gotta put pressure on people, gotta leverage things, right, okay, or Tariff's gonna put tariffs on you to get.
Speaker 2: If you can carry the tragger grill, then I'll get you one.
Speaker 10: Where is it?
Speaker 2: Well, I have to get it for you.
Speaker 10: Oh, Okay, how's I guess I have one over here?
Speaker 2: We well went out tomorrow? Well, okay, then you that Wednesday and Thursday.
Speaker 11: I mean, fritzy, you invite me on a day you don't have any grilling going on.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's kind of weak. I think it's later in the week.
Speaker 2: The Trager grisay, thanks really appreciate it. Kings of Waian on front.
Speaker 10: There you go by way. Thank you to Kings of wan Also.
Speaker 2: Thanks for stopping by. He's Brady Quinn Fox Big Noon Kickoff. I always call it high noon kickoff. Why didn't you do high noon and then get the sponsorship with high noon beverages.
Speaker 10: That's a great question.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Two pros and a cup of Joe. We'll be back after this.
Speaker 10: What Eric Shanks about it? You know, Shanks will I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Keeper's Heart a new and unique style of whiskey that combines the best of Irish and American whiskies, creating a smooth character of Irish whiskey and the bold flavors of American whiskies. If you're a whiskey fan, you got to try it, drink responsibly. It's keeper's heart.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Commanders are keeping their name, which when you're successful, sure, why not? No need to change that. And I don't know if you moved to a new place in Washington, DC, if the NFL would allow you to bring that name back. But the owner said they're going to keep the Commanders, and I certainly understand.
Speaker 4: Again, Paul, it does feel like one of those things where the winning changes the direction of the franchise, where you know, you may have considered going back to something different, changing the uniforms, but you don't mess. It's almost like not messing with a streak. The name's fine because they're winning, not necessarily because anyone loves it.
Speaker 2: Rich Eisen just sent a note saying Brady Quinn was the last ever draft choice shown on camera during the draft and that the commissioner took him out of the player's room and put him in the commissioner's green room. No camera's there, so Rich sent me it oue yes, Paul.
Speaker 4: I'm sure Rich is right, but I seem to remember and I maybe were remembering this wrong. Gino Smith's sitting there.
Speaker 2: Well, no I'm talking about well, no, I don't think he's Maybe he's talking about having family members there or his girlfriend there with him.
Speaker 4: I've seen to remember Gino Smith like sitting for a while and then leaving before Yeah, I don't remember the details around it, though.
Speaker 7: It was like, yeah, like he went to the hotel across the street or something was like, man, screw you, guys, I'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I know it's pretty tough. Well, remember he was going to be the number one pick in the draft for a little while, you know, they were projecting him that he could be a number one of course. Yes, yes, Marton, that's where.
Speaker 3: We get the term set Tizeman. Yeah, because he was on fire the first four games of that season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, West Virginia was rolling back. Man, that was a good team. Those are good years right there. Dang, what happened? What happened? Yeah? That was that was a crew for sure. Seth in New Orleans, Hi, Seth, what do you have for me this morning? Helloa Hey Seth, Hey, hey Seth, thank you my sath. Andrew in Washington, Hi Andrew, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Good morning, Dan? Then thanks for taking my call. It's always hard to get on during Super Bowl week, but I enjoy it. Hey just had a comment about the new Lay Luca show in LA and also a Super Bowl stat of the Day. I just think, like you said at the top of the show, if Lebron has even a twenty percent positive impact on Luca's overall professionalism, that's a plus for the Lakers. I mean, he's already top five players in the NBA. If he rises his game or off the court, you know, workouts and overall lifestyle.
Speaker 6: That's just going to help the Lakers.
Speaker 13: This is awesome as a Lakers fan. We're set up for the next ten.
Speaker 6: Or fifteen years.
Speaker 13: Who knows how long Luca can play. Also, on that note, the GM of the MAVs, I think I've read this a couple of times online. He is the guy that bought the Nike pitch to Steph Curry by calling him Seth and showing that Kevin Rant video. Nico Harrison, I think was working for Nike and did that. So he's kind of had a few batches in his past. But my Super Bowl stat of the day is this is that Jalen Hurts breaks a streak of nineteen straight qbs to start their first Super Bowl and lose and never make it back. That goes all the way back to nineteen ninety four and Stan Humphreys, So Damen Hurt's getting back breaks that streak.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 2: Got a little stat of the day. The musick there there who stand of the day? Stand of to day?
Speaker 1: Stand outa day, stand outa day.
Speaker 2: This is the Stand of the Day, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. You got a big grin on your face, Marvin.
Speaker 3: I do enjoy my Super Bowl losing quarterbacks Neil O'donnald's, Stan Humphries, Chris Chandler. Yeah, guys who started like huh he started for a Super Bowl team.
Speaker 10: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: I remember when we talked Steph Curry about the presentation at Nike, and it bothered him that they didn't know his name, and you know, you make a big rollout presentation and you're like, man, they really loved me, and then they call you by the wrong name, Seth. Well maybe they thought maybe did he bring his brother with him? Yes?
Speaker 7: I did love the I'm such a massive fan of the show and by the Way, Sentin, you're my favorite.
Speaker 2: That's my name is not Sentin. Hey, I really love the show. Hey, Martin a really good point, I know, did he? Final hour on the Way? Huge fan, Huge fan Cooper Manning Coopa as his brother's calling Cooper Manning, Will johnnys hope you'll stay with us. Two hours in the books, one more to go. We're back after this from New Orleans