Speaker 1: I'm Heather Dubrow and I'm doctor Terrybrow.
Speaker 2: And we're going to keep this between us, but actually we're not, no, because we really never do. And speaking of not keeping it between us, so we just bought a new piece of real estate, and I would like to say this may have hit the air rings faster than the sale of Chateau Dubreu.
Speaker 1: By the way, I think within ten minutes of it being recorded, it was on social media.
Speaker 3: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 1: Because I somebody contacted me from the Daily Whatevers of it All and said, hey, did you guys just buy a place? And I went what? And I looked online it was already on the Daily Whatever.
Speaker 2: Well apparently the real estate agent has to approve the photos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we kind of know the real estate agent.
Speaker 2: Yes, get where it happened. What I think is kind of funny about it. Not funny, We're going to talk about the whole thing. But we way overpaid for this property. And what I thought was funny is that the people that were representing us were bragging about that it was like the highest sale this year, And I'm like, why are you bragging? You represented the buyer, shouldn't it be like, you got us a deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so crazy to me, it's so crazy how much we overpaid for this cat pe apartment cat box. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So here's the story.
Speaker 2: When we sold our home in Newport Beach, which is, by the way, on the market.
Speaker 3: Are we going to talk about that, Cui segue.
Speaker 2: I'm squirreling out because I hadn't espressed on our TEENI right before we started, so I might squirrel out a little bit. Yeah, but our chat out to Bros. On the market again for I think ten million over.
Speaker 1: What we what we sold it for.
Speaker 3: What we sold it for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And sadly, I think what I heard is that our two big beautiful palm trees in the front are dead and cut down.
Speaker 1: I'm gone and is like, just you know, the house is soulless now soulless.
Speaker 3: That's what we've heard Onlievle.
Speaker 2: It makes me a little sad, not crazy sad, because we did well on it and we had a great time there, but a little sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I'm so happy with where we live now. The fact that we tried to pay a reasonable fair market value.
Speaker 2: Oh we're back to the apartment, Okay, well, first of all, so we sold our house and then we lived in a lot of rentals, right, because even though we had bought this penhouse in this high rise in Century City that was a two bad room, it was supposed to be for us for some day. We had all these different home rentals in Newport Beach and we were figuring it out, and we eventually decided to move back to La Right, And so we rented an apartment in our same building that had more bedrooms, and we go up and down on the elevator and it's been insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: So I have spent the last nine months trying to buy the apartment directly underneath us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and reeks of cat pee.
Speaker 1: And it's one of the most disgusting places I've ever been hoarding. And the gross really bad and cat poopler everywhere.
Speaker 3: Like you need a hazmat suit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, but because it's.
Speaker 2: Below us, it's very exciting because this might be a little tricky to understand, but our apartment is the top apartment in our elevator stack. Yeah, and so if we buy, if we had bought the apartment underneath us, we have kind of a private elevator between the two apartments.
Speaker 3: So that's what we ended up doing. We overpaid for it. I mean, we're always very.
Speaker 2: Honest about all this real estate stuff. So we've done well on some things and not well. But we overpaid by I think what two million dollars.
Speaker 1: Yes, but even more when you think about how much it needs to be torn apart and how much reconstruction is going to need. So when you factor that into we probably overpaid four to five million.
Speaker 3: I would say four.
Speaker 2: But also the price that it shows on the record isn't actually the price because they had us pay their mansion tax.
Speaker 3: It's just so we had to pay on top of that.
Speaker 2: But we had a conversation about it and we decided that, look, instead of having a house, we love this building, and so I'm thinking of it as upstairs downstairs, and the kids have.
Speaker 1: Their own independent place that we're going to rent to them.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but I'm thinking of it as downstairs adults.
Speaker 1: They need to pay rent.
Speaker 2: Yes, but downstairs we're going to do a big kitchen, family room, and a cool media.
Speaker 3: Room and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And then upstairs where we are is our primary suite, a guest room, and a formal dining room, formal living room. So upstairs is kind of the fancier area and downstairs is more a family area. Right, So that's how I'm setting it up. So we talked about it. Even though we overpaid for it, we decided that if you amortize it over twenty years, we don't care.
Speaker 1: Well we I mean we care most every time we have purchased a property, we do it through the lens of do we want to live there? And this is a good financial decision. Can we make a lot of money from it? And if you can check both those boxes, uh, it's a home run.
Speaker 3: But this isn't either of this.
Speaker 1: No, we want to live there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but we're not going to make money.
Speaker 1: We're upside down.
Speaker 3: The moment we buy it.
Speaker 1: We will make no money. In fact, one day, when I'm gone and you're gone and the kids have to sell it, they won't make any money either. No, I think, but I don't care. I love it well, we love the building. I think it's the best building in LA and it's the safest. And let's face it, everyone we know who is on a reality TV show who lives in a house in lab has been robbed every single one without fail.
Speaker 3: I love the.
Speaker 2: Whole apartment living. I love that there's so many people. And you know, it's funny because some people in our building don't don't talk to anyone. They park below and they go up in the elevator. I vallet I talk to everyone. Did you see Tim is back?
Speaker 3: By the way? Who Tim? Who's Tim at the front with the bow tie? Oh he's back. Oh my god. I was so excited. I hugged him.
Speaker 2: But you know what, people I don't know that would know this about me. But I, even though I love big cities and all that, I'm kind of a small town girl. I you know, always loved going into the bank. I always knew my bankers. I like the post office. I like talking to people and knowing everyone's name and all the things.
Speaker 3: So I just love it.
Speaker 1: It's great. Everybody knows that. You know, there's like fifteen people around.
Speaker 3: And there's so many places to walk that we love.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. I love.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's so great. Our dogs love it.
Speaker 1: So we're going to have to tear it apart. Yes, I'm concerned that there is cat pee everywhere in everywhere, including in the dry wall, could be and it could be much more of a disaster than we actually realized. Yeah, and then, of course, you know, we've discussed how much it's going to cost.
Speaker 3: We don't agree on this.
Speaker 1: And and well, by the way, I have learned the formula formula to figure out how much something is going to cost.
Speaker 3: Double the cost, double the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it depends. It depends who's giving you the cost estimation. If it's your wife, you can probably two and a half times. If it's the building, wife math. If it's the builder, it's two times.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it's your wife, it's two point five times. Unless you're married to Heather to brother, then it could be three point five.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, we were talking about your mom earlier today and something came up about finances and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, that is wife math, dear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so you have succumbed to wife math at times. Me.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, I don't know about that. But anyway, I mean, here's another giant project that you have to undertake, all.
Speaker 2: Right, but this time so that house that we ended up not doing in Beverly Hills because the fires and the whole thing, Right, I don't regret not doing the house. I'm glad we didn't do it, and I love where we live. However, I love the design of it so much. And we worked with Max Novel and I just thought he was incredible.
Speaker 3: But it's so funny, like we we are both very determined with our visions, but we are we.
Speaker 2: Love each other and respect each other's design aesthetic, and so I feel like.
Speaker 3: What we came up with in that house was so amazing.
Speaker 2: And now we're doing this penthouse and we've already butt heads a little bit.
Speaker 3: Really, yes, but in a good way. I like it.
Speaker 2: I find it challenging, yep, and I'm sort of excited about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I've relinquished more to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the last time you two got together, put your head together to create a project and estimate the budget, the budget came back eight million dollars over.
Speaker 3: That was on his fault though, that was the builder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm we'll see what happens with this one. But I hopefully redoing an apartment is not the same as redoing an old nineteen forties house.
Speaker 2: Well, of course it's not, because there's no you don't have to worry about opening the walls, right and there's also no land right, and we had problems with quisons and.
Speaker 1: About this earthquakes seem plumbing tenty of none of it to the av we do have to you know, this this building.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I'm super excited. I just feel like, I don't know, We've been going back and forth with some renderings and things, and I just think it's going to be amazing. And what I love about it is the kids are all going to have spaces.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll tell you what I'm excited about.
Speaker 2: I think that how long ago did we move out of our Crystal Cove house?
Speaker 1: Yes, gosh, maybe five years now.
Speaker 2: We have been nomads and to be honest, even before that, I mean that home was the longest way ever stayed in the house. Yeah, right, like the twins, I think lived in twelve different places. We've been nomads for a long time. I am very much looking forward to not being transcend and being in one spot and doing it the way we want to and just living there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I mean, I realize we overpaid and we're going to pay a fortune to reconstruct the place because it's such a disaster. Even the final walkthrough, they had two cat boxes oh, a plane.
Speaker 3: View open, not even like the new fancy Yeah.
Speaker 1: Open with sograss, with recent escrement on the cat's deem bother bearing it. And what does that tell you? When a cat doesn't bury it, that means they have That means they just went fic because a cat is very fastidious. So the cat is saying, look, you know, she doesn't clean this out, and I'm calling it and probably below this is just yesterday's in the days before it was so disgusting. I actually had to wear a mask.
Speaker 3: Yes, the final you really need a hazmat suit in there.
Speaker 1: I mean, how people can live like that?
Speaker 2: It's so crazy. And there was other things too. I mean there was like a sink didn't work. They just shut off the water. I mean, they didn't fix the sink. It was crazy. But here's the good news. The building is Christine. Yeah, and it's you know, handled so well. And obviously we're right above it, so we know our plumbing, our everything is perfect. But I really think, like I'm just so excited to have this be done and have this beautiful duplex, and and I think more importantly, have our family be settled. Yeah, you know, Max is going to law school and seems like she might be closer than we thought. Nikki is graduating college and he's good to move back in with us for a time.
Speaker 1: Well not with us, he's gonna move downstairs.
Speaker 3: But that's us.
Speaker 1: Is that you're considering that our place thirty seven? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Both, Yeah, it's a duplex, yeah for sure, Okay, yeah, and so and then we have ace with us. So really only Kat is still in college on the East coast, right, And I just I just think it's fantastic, so excited about it.
Speaker 1: The way. Can I tell you how much I love your hair?
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether people realize that you cut your hair off and it looks very posh, spice like. I love it. And you know, this has always been my favorite hair stylogy, this hairstyle you kind of had when I met you, when you were on those TV shows The Maddie and The Maddie Maddie made TV shows that you did well with the same hair, which I love.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you you notice that a lot of people are now going to the style. Do you think that you had something to do with that?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'm seeing a lot of ch chop for spring.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, now you look amazing.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so we're here at the iHeart Music Awards.
Speaker 3: Isn't this crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And we love iHeart and love the podcast and I Heart. But this is like we have to do I don't know if we can talk about this, but I Am going to do it anyway. We have to go through a red carpet after this. Yes, so let's talk for a second about what it's like to walk through a red carpet.
Speaker 3: Well, I know it's your best.
Speaker 1: Day, let's be honest, not necessarily.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is. It's your favorite thing. Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: It's not true?
Speaker 3: You love having you love the attention.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you want.
Speaker 3: Them to ask you questions, don't you broo tell us about joby?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, it depends on why we're walking the red carpet.
Speaker 3: If they're a bad scenario.
Speaker 1: Well, if we're walking the red carpet because it's a sort of a housewife related event and they all they want to do is talk to you, and I'm like the idiot husband.
Speaker 3: Oh, here you go. It's not about years.
Speaker 1: So what's going on between you and whoever fill in the blank? And I'm sitting there going I'm waiting for them, and Hi, Terry, and then but Heather, what about.
Speaker 3: Oh so you like a red carpet when it's about you?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean yes, no, yes, well yes, but what is this about me? So what's the theme of this red carpet?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, you're the point of what you're saying, is you like when the red carpet is about you and you have things to talk about. You don't like it if it's about me or something you can't talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd rather not be red carpet jewelry. I'd rather provide content, you know what I mean? Wow, Well, I mean you know.
Speaker 3: Want me to be the red carpet jewelry.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I don't really know. But I'm just saying sometimes, you know, and I would never apply this term to me, but you know, your arm candy. That's about it. An actor walking through the red carpet and he's got some or he's got some husband or significant other with them, and they're like, oh, look who Gina so and so is with I know, but that's.
Speaker 2: So silly with us because we've written so many books together and we have podcasts together. Here on iHeart because we no I know, but also we have a YouTube channel and doctor Missus, Guinea Pig and products.
Speaker 1: We get a podcasts.
Speaker 2: I mean, but we've done so many things together. I feel like you and I have our separate things, but together we're still an entity.
Speaker 1: And for those of you listening to this, if you're not aware, we actually have a podcast between us.
Speaker 3: So maybe two men.
Speaker 1: How stupidly meta? Is that?
Speaker 3: Very well?
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's meta, but but so yeah, I mean, so what's interesting about I think people might be interested in what it's really sort of like.
Speaker 3: On a red carpet, because you talk up and first there's the picture section.
Speaker 1: There's a picture section, which you know they badly. I take a couple of pictures with you, and they're going Heather Terry, Heather Terry, and that's like, okay, Terry, could you step aside? And they want to see Heather well.
Speaker 2: Because female fashion, yeah, yeah, unless you're a specific guy is more interesting.
Speaker 1: And so there's that, and then you walk up and there's people from different places, different media.
Speaker 2: So you're on a straight thoroughfare, right, So you you walk up, there's some X marks on the carpet and you stand there and you take pictures and you have to look from right to left and you do that, and you take all the photos and then you go to the next thing, and then all of the different outlets are set up.
Speaker 3: It's funny. You know. Kelty Night did talk about this recently.
Speaker 2: Of course, you know our good friend Kelty who's on Lady Gang and who also is an e host and does a lot of red carpets, But she was saying that red carpets.
Speaker 3: Are very difficult.
Speaker 2: Now why because Kelty was saying that, you know, all the biggest celebrities come up the very last second, right, and it's very hard to grab everyone and get.
Speaker 3: Decent in content and all that kind of stuff. And she's so good at it. She does so much prep.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So then you walk up and you there's like People Magazine, US Weekly and E and Boom boom and boom and boom and hi hitherto and then they basically ask you kind of the same question depending on like, I don't even know what they would ask us here, what's it like to have a podcast?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Or we're we're constantly in the media for various things, and right now, I'm.
Speaker 2: They're going to ask you about glp ony, ozempic face or ozembic, some anorexia or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and so it's you know, in this you try not to repeat the exact same thing at every but it's a very interesting phenomenon. Like I was having a cocktail earlier and I realized.
Speaker 3: Are you going to be dumb?
Speaker 1: I better stop now, otherwise I won't be able to string two sentences together and sound like a doctor.
Speaker 2: I had an espresso Martine, and I'm going to tell you its slapped. Yeah, I learned that word slapped.
Speaker 1: Slap Is that is that the alcoholic version of snatched?
Speaker 3: No slapped is like it hit right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, that's by the way, that's the alcoholic version of snatched plastic surgery.
Speaker 2: I'm snatched, no snack, honey, just tight slapped?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: It hit?
Speaker 1: It like touched me. The effect on the analogy is the effects of alcohol related to slapped is the same as the effect of plastic surgery related to snatch. So it's exactly a perfect analogy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're a genius.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just saying it's like analogous, you know. Anyway, this has been really fun amazing, and I think we have to hair. I love your hair. You're looking amazing. We have to go walk the red carpet.
Speaker 3: Is it too much boob?
Speaker 1: There's a lot of by the way, it's it's just bra.
Speaker 3: Well there's a bra, but also there's sticky boobs in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look great.
Speaker 3: Trying to put on your favorite jewelry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that jewelry.
Speaker 3: All right, well, I love you.
Speaker 2: This was fun and we're going to do some ads and then we're going to walk the red carpet.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Let's do it. Sorry till next time.