Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Training Camp Cast. The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots Training Camp.
Speaker 2: Well, I do still watch the news. Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot.
Speaker 3: Com have you covered? What did I miss yesterday? Now here to review today's practice?
Speaker 2: The writers of Patriots dot com.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome into another edition of the Patriots Training Camp Cast. I might do so, joined by Evan Lazar and Paul Perillo. And we just got off the field, guys from another padded practice, our second one in a row, a little bit longer session. It felt kind of to me, Paul, like we're really just trying to hit that those dog days this summer. Get the reps in Drake Mate took a lot of reps today and again it felt like an okay day for the offense. I don't want to understated it to overstate it, but okay, they're showing some progress.
Speaker 3: I mean even I would say, but yeah, I do think there's some progress being made. You're seeing I think with the pads on the past, protection has been a little bit better, and that's to be expected. You should be able to block a little bit better when you're actually allowed dare I say to block, and I think it has been and I think there were some signs of production at you know, at times. Did a little red zone work today? Mike, You're right, there was, you know, sort of longer periods. I thought of eleven on eleven and there was one point where Drake May doubled up, So yeah, I thought they got some good work here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Everyone talked about Drake May a little bit of a down day yesterday. Would you see from him today?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought he got the ball out a little bit faster today than what we saw yesterday. But in general we talked a lot about this on Unfiltered. Also, it just feels like processing wise, he's maybe still a beat behind. And when you watch a quarterback like Jacob Brissett who's not only been in the league for a while but also played in this offense before in twenty twenty two, you do start to see the difference a little bit of not necessarily the talent or the physical tools, but just when it's run on time and it's run on rhythm, what it looks like with Jacob Brissett versus what it looks like with a guy like Drake May who's still trying to learn the system. So to me, a lot of the things and we could probably dissect a million things that that Drake May could or couldn't do better. But to me, right now, the number one thing is to get him mentally processing the game a little bit faster and seeing things a little bit quicker, and then you'll start to won't see all those camp reports of well Drake May was, you know, five for eleven or three for eleven today and eleven on elevens if he starts to be a little bit more on time.
Speaker 4: Now, Paul, there's another quarterback too, Joe Milton. I thought he was okay today.
Speaker 3: I mean I thought he was really good today.
Speaker 4: He's getting some reps. What did you see?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he took you know, Zapi took some reps early in the third uh, the third time around, and then it was later in Milton. I thought he'd gotten a little bit of a rhythm. I thought, really nice slant to Juju Smith Schuster for a touchdown. There was some enthusiasm. I mean, he's one of those guys that, yeah, he's got kind of the infectious enthusiasm. I'm not telling you it means anything. Beyond that he threw the ball pretty well today, but I thought he was dealing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one thing I'd say about Milton he was in college for six years and he's three twenty four years old, And even with him to Drake, you can sort of tell the difference between a guy that was really experienced and played a ton of college football versus the guy that really was only in college football for three true years. And even the ball tends to come out a little bit more on time with Milton. So it's not to say that Milton's ahead of Drake or like it's better or anything like that, but you see the experience, like of the two guys, and I feel like with Milton that those ten years that he's s already six years that he's spent in college, you kind of see that a little bit with him a little bit more mature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so a little bit of housekeeping stuff. Guys, we had, you know, Jabil Pepper's out of practice. We did see him kind of walk on field later. Marty map who continues to be an observer as well. Christian Barmore, of course, not expecting to see him. Matthew Judon a little bit of display yesterday from him, he was not out there at all today. Devon Godshaw continues to practice though, and you know, just for me, the big point is, it's just it's kind of a tough blow over the course of the last twenty four hours to feel like, you know, you got a little bit more drama with Jude On going. We were hopeful that Godshaw is going to get done, but we don't know when we're ever going to see Barmore again out here, and now we have Peppers out. Just not a great twenty four hours for the team, especially on the defensive side of the ball, with how that's all going with their personnelity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, the Judon thing I think sort of is front and center for me. I mean, it wasn't a good look yesterday. I thought with the way he sort of in front of the media, in front of the public was just sort of openly saying I'm not going to practice and what are you going to do about it? And then I thought he kind of backed tried to back drive Mayo into a corner. I don't think it's a coincidence that we didn't see him today. I would just add also, David Andrews didn't practice for the second straight day, which put Nick Leverett at center. So that's unfortunate because that offensive line had started to develop a little cohesion with the same tackles with Chukes and the rookie Caden Wallace. Wallace on the left side, a corpf we on the right, but no David Andrews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think with the Judon thing. To me, we've been talking about this Mike a Ton today, it just puts into person effective the pass rush and the lack of you know, just to make it about football for a second, the lack of juice that they have a little bit right now in the pass rush without Judah and Christian Barmore out there is a teeny bit concerning I don't want to like be alarmist about it, but you know, I charted the one on ones between the O line and the D line, and I had nine straight wins for the offensive line. And this is an offensive line that all offseason we've been telling you guys isn't very good on paper, and you know some people have ranked it I think thirty first, thirty second in the league on paper in terms of the talent that they have and the guys that they have in camp right now.
Speaker 4: U J.
Speaker 1: Jennings a quality wise, Keon White are having a tough time getting off blocks in the one on one pass rush drills, and that just puts in perspective how important those two guys are for this team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're covering the big pieces here. We talked about Drake May, We talked about the quarterback, Jacoby Brissett, We talked about the offensive line, some of the concerns on defense. The other big thing for this team of the receivers. And it's just a big group and we've kind of been talking about how there's been such rotation. I mean, just everybody's kind of playing with everybody. Some days, some guys are making plays other days or not. I just want to ask both of you guys, like, who's one guy to you that's just kind of stood out in terms of tight ends, wide receivers. Just one guy that's caught your eyes over the last couple of days as pads have come on And Paul, you can say nobody if he.
Speaker 3: Well, you know why I think that it's I'm going to say the opposite of nobody. I'm gonna say different days, I've seen different guys like I thought on Monday, Taekwon Thorton kind of stood out to me. I think earlier when there was no pads on, Rager was making some plays. I think the two rookies have had days where they've I thought that Polk was a little bit better today than I've seen him, whereas Baker wasn't as good as I've seen him in other days. So I wouldn't say nobody. I would say nobody consistently every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is that fair?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a fair way to put it. I feel a lot of the same things. I think we're in lockstep on the receivers. The one guy I would just kind of highlight, though, I am excited about Javon Baker a little bit just because of the way he moves and the type of athlete that he is. It might not be consistent yet day in and day out and rep in and rep out, and that's sort of how I thought he would be in his NFL career, you know, looking at some of the comps, like, you know, one guy that I stuck out to me that also happens to be UCF guys, Gabe Davis, who like will have a game where he has one hundred and fifty yards and then the next week he's not even on the field. It feels like, and I kind of feel the same way about Javon Baker in these practices. But when he is explosive and he's on like he was yesterday, at times you notice him that he moves a little bit differently, and Pop Douglas moves differently too, but he's smaller, you know, Javon Baker moves differently at six one hundred and ninety five two hundred pounds, so he's got some size and he's got some explosiveness and that that's a good quality to have. So I'm excited about him, you know, not trying to get too ahead of ourselves, but having those two guys flashed, you know, Polkin Baker as much as they have, is not necessarily things that we've seen out of rookie receivers in a Patriots training camp right away, certainly not with Nikhil Harry as we were all here for that, and then even with Taekwon it was like kind of like a play here, a play there, whereas those two guys feel like they're involved and they're getting targeted every single day.
Speaker 3: And I will say today was the first time we saw Douglas in a competitive rep. He did some seven on seven's, caught a pass in natural so he wore a red non contact jersey today. Obviously getting closer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's another one that she just jumps off the field. He's got some quickness and certainly it's the skill that the Patriots offense needs. But the team will be off on Wednesday. We're through six practices here. We think we got seven left with a joint practice, so we're about at the halfway point Wednesday off day, and then we're anticipating three more action pack practices, probably a couple with pads as well. So be sure to stay tuned here at Patriots dot com. We've got you covered with Patriots Training Campcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.
Speaker 4: Yeah,