Speaker 1: Al Zone Media. Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. What's Pippin' my bops? It could happen here? A podcast that is sometimes competently introduced, but not on the days that I'm recording. We're at CEES, the Consumer Electronics Show, seeing what the tech industry has in mind for all of us. Right, This is a show where the industry talks to itself and its investors and clients about what the future is going to be. And so Garrison Davis and I are going to sit down with you and tell, based on our explorations and investigations this week, what the future of artificial intelligence means for all of us and for the world. Garrison, Hi, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm tired?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look tired.
Speaker 2: It's been a long week. It's been a long week convention walking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've worked very hard.
Speaker 2: I've talked to too many robots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've talked to a lot of chat bots.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a bit of a stretch, is that we've talked with them.
Speaker 1: I've talked to add a lot of chat bots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sometimes they respond and sometimes they don't.
Speaker 1: I guess one of the things that's kind of shocked me is it because, like, despite being very critical about AI in the industry, I have actually a pretty good idea of what these things are capable of. And I know that chat GBT and Jim and I and the other like, they're capable of doing some things that look very impressive. They are capable of conversations. You know that it can be fairly in depth, and that can cover a wide variety of topics. And so one of the things that has surprised me is that as I have gone up and tried to communicate with every various chatbot enabled AI enabled product, about seventy percent of the time it's not actually capable of responding to me in a way that makes any sense. Like the majority of those products just don't function. Sorry, was that literally your AI and your phone yelling at us.
Speaker 2: Yes, case in point, I was trying to pull up one of the one of the AI robots that we saw today, and I guess this is something that we talked about on Better Offline a bit. And the main thing this this year is the complete, the complete like victory of of like chat GPT across not just not just like.
Speaker 1: It's like the cultural victory within the tech industry.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, and it's moved into like the physical world through like their API license saying yeah, so many of the quote unquote products this year is building a physical thing around chat GPT.
Speaker 1: We have a necklace that has chat GPT and you can talk to it. We have a pin that chat GPT is in and you can talk to it and have it do things like transcribe an interview.
Speaker 2: Earbuds there's there's earbuds, little tiny robot Dogslassy. Everything has has chat GBT inside it. And that's the main thing that makes it like unique or special compared to you know, the types of products we've seen we've seen before.
Speaker 1: And I would say again when I say that, like seventy percent of the chatbot enabled products that I tried to interact with could not converse with me or could not do so in a functional way. It's not because the chatbots aren't able to talk to you, because they are anyone who's not like you can. It's that all of the chatbots require an active Internet connection because the vast majority of these products do not have anything on device, and when you're in a crowded convention floor, the Internet is bad and so they just don't work. And it kind of it's one of those I'm sure most of these products would work better in the real world, but also the fact that they're all completely hobbled by their access to data is kind of one of the things. It's one of the seams that you can see here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the LLLM rappers, so LM rappers and robotics are the big things this year. Often these things are between you.
Speaker 1: Mean by an LLLLM rapper garrison.
Speaker 2: Well, this is this is the thing that we're talking about. It it's say, it's that this physical product that's built around something like chat GPT or Gemini or Claude or a number of like the Chinese made ones, right, So a lot of Chinese companies here. So these physical products, whether those are you know, headphones, earbuds, or in many cases little tiny robots whose main main features that you can talk to can talk to it, and what you're actually talking to is like a filtered version of chat GPT. And there's a lot of these products for kids that we've seen, like robots for kids, because there's a lot a lot of robotics this year as well. That these these are the two things that after years and years of them trying to find a new thing for each cees, they've like settled on not not actually having anything robotics, not having anything new because like we've we've seen robotics before at other years, and this is the year that they're combining their physical robotics which aren't new, but combining them with chat GPT and presenting it as a new product.
Speaker 1: Look at now you can intelligence the robot and no, can't do more tasks than it used to, Like we're still doing really good if it can slowly and not very competently fold laundry. Oh right, like LG's Kloyd Cloyd, which is a robot designed to be in your home and do chores for you and visibly does not do them well. We watched it now where they're presumably it's presumably working better than it normally does because it's a demo.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I went to the first Cloyd Cloyd demo and they had like three three different setups for the different stories for like different use cases for Cloyd, once with ones with a family, ones with like a single guy, and ones with like a like a middle aged woman. And with the family, the robots able to find keys that are lost. Notably, what that means is that Cloyd is moving keys around the house, which might actually contribute to the problem of somewhere else. The robot could put a tray of croissants in an oven and the robot knows it, and the robot knows exactly how you want your croissants done. You don't even have to tell the robot. It already knows, of course. And that's something that was stressed the power of AIL for and over again is that it will it will start to like know what you want?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: So you want need to tell you have a memory?
Speaker 1: So many of these products with the big selling points like it's got a memory and it has they can't they can't stop themselves. And I think some of this was like the actual companies and the way that they're structuring their ad campaigns. But a lot of this was just most of the companies here hire pr people who don't regularly work for the company and don't know much about the products, and they're just there to demo stuff, and some of it is those people just defaulting too.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: They're talking about how this thing like like remembers and knows you, So I'll talk about how it like it has a personality, It has memories, it has experienced, it has core memories, you know, it has preferences, and like a personality, it wants things. I talked to a couple of different people at booths who like that was the thing they were emphasizing, is that like, this is an AI that like feels and gets to know you and has a relationship with you. And it's very number one not what they would want publicly because that's crazy and none of the products actually work that way, but the attempt to convince people that, like, what we have done is create a robot that lives in your home and does chores and it can think and feel. And anytime you say, like, well, is there you just saying you built a slave? Like are you saying, well, there's thinking sentient robots that you have lived in your house and do your laundry. Isn't that a slave like And it's not actually because the robot doesn't say not actually, but what they were saying was true, it would be a problem, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, if you get it, introduce yourself however you want introduced.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm Ben Ben Rosporter. I am an academic, I'm a sociologist at Kearney.
Speaker 2: And you have accompanied us through the wonderful world of Las Vegas and the cees this year. I always like bringing people to witness the beautiful world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been brought to this place very far from god, Las ve Guess and the Tech Convention Center. There is this moment where we were walking through and it was the the the amy Bot for kids.
Speaker 2: Which me and Robert saw last year, that the little like oval owl looking robot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and they had this She's got to be an actress and she was doing like a little skit with the amy Bot where it was like it was like the Amy About's birthday or something, and she was like very clearly having this this very produced. It reminded me exactly of how like cheap Tella Novella's like actors talk where she was just like, wow, Amy, you've really gotten to know me over the years. And it was bizarre in that one the selling point of the robot was I think they said, turning data into empathy. Yes, it's able to turn data into empathy, which God knows what that means. But also that like, so clearly the robot turns data into empathy, but also we cannot show you the robot doing anything concretely, so we will have a person like it was just this very one side like skit where this person was doing this really overly emotional like back and forth as a robot, where the robot would just respond with like the bare minimum like phrases, and so like what they're selling is is questionable if anyone wants it, and all speculative, it's all none of it can actually be presented. It's all like the potential to do this, and then and then even the way that they're actually showing that is mostly just cheap tricks. There's another booth where they had the sex robots, and I was just I it was shocking because the stand like you're at this convention, you've presumably you know, gone through a lot to get here and you're the image you're putting forward of your robot that you know you're selling as the sex or whatt It's like this cheap AI image, not even one of the good ones, like that they're like clear artifacts and very weird lines and things, and that you could google an anime jpeg and get a better image for this. So just even the smoke and mirrors of it was cheap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that Love Ants is the sex Robot booth, And yeah, they had two products. One was like just like you know, silicon like realistic human skin sex robot, which is similar to like you know, those horrifying sex dolls, except now we have an LM inside. It's another one of those LM rappers, except it's wrapped around of redheaded women.
Speaker 1: Garrison. I find that very offensive. It's actually some people are just they're not capable of talking to women or other human beings of any kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people with ADHD.
Speaker 1: It's actually a disability where people can't know other people and can only have sexual gratification through a creepy robot.
Speaker 2: I apologize for my spect for my on air ableism. Yeah, but no again, this is the year of LM rappers, and now they're putting it, putting it in a sexpod, which is more unnerving between than a regular sex doll because a regular sex doll, you kind of know it's an object. Like it's it's not trying to be much more than an object. It can't, you can't. You could you put in positions, but it's it's static. Yeah, this because this thing tries to kind of engage with you. It activates my Uncanny Valley response way more because it's like it's kind of trying to pretend to be a person, and like I could not look at the thing for very long, so I just like started like I just felt bad. Yeah, and some of that's probably my latent Protestantism, but I just feel I just felt bad. But the other product they had like around the corner was this was this like you know anime style like like Avatar, which was which is on like a screen that you can talk to and it's synced up to like a jack off robot, right, so you can you can engage with this. You can engage with this like this like blonde blonde hair, blue eyed anime woman as it's as it connects to like a little a little like jackof Machine, and that was there. That was the other product which did not work because there was no Wi Fi in the Venetian Yeah, so we could we could not see it, but the jackoff machine was still going strong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you could say, I guess that, like, well, obviously there's there's fundamental issues with like having Wi Fi be decent. When you've got seventy thousand people like all cramming themselves into a room. Of course, that's going to cause problems. That the chatbots and the devices using them are actually capable of more they should. They're more impressive than you giving them credit for just because the WiFi didn't work. But also if all your build is a shell that without the Internet and access to someone else's chatbot, it's useless, It doesn't do anything.
Speaker 2: This is the big people, I haven't really made a product. All these products are are going to brick as soon as soon as as soon as chat GPT raises its API costs, they're going to do one of two things. They're either going to stop working or they're going to move their chatbot provider to a different one that's going to behave differently. And then it's fundamentally a different.
Speaker 1: And that's why periodically I would run into someone where it's like everything that we do is on device and everything, even the ones that were still because almost you almost have to say that whatever you're doing is AI and stuff like. There was a company that I came across because of their name because I just saw the name trans Ai and I was like, well, I gotta go see what that is. I did see that, and it's simply I believe they're a Korean company, but it's it's just a company that makes like a translator, right, and they make it specifically. It's like the size of a smaller smartphone. It looks kind of like a smartphone and you set it down and it will on device. It does not touch the cloud at all for any reason. It can translate, so if you want to have a conversation with someone in a foreign language, it can like like live translate for you both. And also it will transcribe whatever conversations you're happening. And they were like, yeah, this is for people who want to transcribe notes when they're at college. It's for people who are doing interviews, journalists and stuff. So and it was a really good it seemed to be a good product. I've not gotten to test it outside of the show floor I saw.
Speaker 2: I saw a few of these.
Speaker 5: One of the big differences I saw between like the few there were like two or three or four booths that we saw where the product I was like, I had a positive.
Speaker 6: I was like I walked away with some mildly positive.
Speaker 5: Was that almost everything else talk about like the sort of insatiability of capital is that it has to sell. The sex doll was a perfect example of this in that you know, if you make a sex doll and you put the chat GPT inside of it and then you sell it as this this is a sex doll. It's an object you fought, but now you can like you could have sexy conversation with Its still an object, but like you know, that's fun for some people.
Speaker 1: That's a thing that people didn't have and it is new.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's a phenomena you could clearly show off. It's like, oh you can, you know now the sex doll can like say your name and stuff. But almost all of the booths that we're selling some kind of a product. It was like, we have to sell the opportunity to like transcend, Like the your mortal shell and become a part of the cosmos itself. Like the sex Doll was literally sitting in this corner talking to no one and saying stuff like I'm about emotional intelligence and building a connection, getting to know you and reaching into your soul. And it's like, it clearly cannot do this. And the few products that were good were the ones where the people showing it were just able to like just put that aside and just say, here's what the product does, right, here's what it can do concrete.
Speaker 1: And that that has become my baseline and first question, which is like, have you done anything with your product? And if all that you've done is we invented a new device that didn't previously have a chatbot that it connects to through data that someone else built, you didn't do anything that's not a product, that's not real, So kind of my first my filter was like, is there anything here beyond another way to interact with a completely different product that you didn't make.
Speaker 2: To go back to like the AI note taking devices, which I saw a few where where's a linch and it will take notes through you. I saw like a lot of these like marketed to like a college student.
Speaker 1: And it's the thing that it is a thing that machine learning, because I hate that it gets lomped in with AI. But machine learning has gotten a lot better.
Speaker 2: They know, they're really good. It's it's good at note taking. And here's the thing, and that's alliable. And there's different devices that you can get it on. Like I saw like like a note taking pin that's a pin that just automatically takes notes for you. That was you know, kind of like kind of kind of fly. But the thing is you can do this exact same thing on your phone with the chet GPTPP. It's the exact same thing. Yes, you don't need it in a pen, just turn your phone on and it'll auto do the notes for you. The actual product part is useless. The whole idea of the smartphone is that you have everything you need already on it.
Speaker 1: And that's why I did respect again companies like trans Ai, where it's like, no, this is actually on device and this is a thing.
Speaker 2: This is that's better.
Speaker 1: YEA utility that my phone doesn't have, which is that no matter where I am, even if I'm not connected to the internet, I can translate and I can transcribe using this device that's real utility, and TRANSA is not the only company. A couple of companies had products like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we saw this emotion tracking pendant which is oh my god, on device, which which listens to everyone.
Speaker 1: So you said motion, not emotion, no emotion, oh god.
Speaker 2: But it listens. It listens to everything you're saying. It doesn't up put anything to cloud, but it in the AA is on device, so it listens everything. It is like emotional scent analysis. It also monitors your breath and your heartbeat because the necklace like rests like on your chest. And then it like taught and then it can like analyze like around like six or seven. That's a mystic seven different emotions. And like it was like fine, I don't I would never need this thing to tell me how I'm feeling. I know how to feel, but like it might be fun for some people to like track how they're feeling or be like, oh I was more stressed. I was more stressed this week than like last week. And like still and there's.
Speaker 1: There's even there's at least a degree of baseline optimism that you have for the product when it's like, Okay, this is a device where you're trying to track people's emotions, and your immediate first thing you decided as a company was this, can't go on a cloud. That would be a responcible.
Speaker 2: This is why that was the first thing I asked, right, right, And that is.
Speaker 1: I guess the most important fundamental difference between companies and people here, and between the companies that are embracing to some extent AI is the ones who whose default was like, well, but we're doing something that involves emotions or that involved like interviews or conversations that people might not want on like we shouldn't have that on the cloud, versus the people who are like, why wouldn't you put literally everything on the cloud. Why don't you want your health and medical data on the cloud. Why don't we want your financial data on the cloud? Right, Like that is kind of like the most fundamental difference that you see between people here.
Speaker 5: Part and parcel of the insatiable like just drive for endless value. And probably the comparisons between this convention and its location, Las Vegas are really overlaiden at this point, but I mean there is something about, like, you know, the appeal of gambling is the promise of the speculative promise of endless value and how all of these technologies are selling themselves off of endless value. And for the producer side, that means like this, this device has endless function potentially, you know we say endless functions.
Speaker 2: Especially with these like AI devices.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But from the consumer side, it's from a well, if you just give yourself over to you know, to the god of capital, if you if you just bleed into the machine and connect yourself to the cloud and give over like everything, and it really is everything. I mean, there's like AI towels that are like analyzing your sweat. If you give over everything, there is this vague promise of transcendence and that like you will escape the like the misery of the world that this place is just both completely blind to and then also without ever saying it, like also responding to it entirely.
Speaker 1: First off, obviously you're coming at this from more of a left wing perspective, so you probably don't understand that gambling always works and you're definitely going to win. So first off, you.
Speaker 2: Know, no Vegas really is the anarcho capitalist paradise.
Speaker 1: It sure is, But no, like what you're saying is they want you to give everything over. There is absolutely there's not outside of again the odd booth where you find sane people, which is almost how I think about it them in my head, where it's like yeah, where you're putting front and forward. This stays on the device. You don't have to be online. We are not exposing your data.
Speaker 2: It's like seeing a lighthouse right like in like a horrible like rainstorm and you're like sailing got his ship and you can't see anything, and everyone's you'll see a booth with like a real person. God, it's like talking about it was solving a real plumbing, like oh finally, Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's a spectrum between talking to the ais, talking to the real few people and then the other people who are kind of in between the two.
Speaker 1: And it was I went from seeing this app where the whole purpose of this this company that makes like agentic ai solutions, who I'm scrolling to find there the company name right now, all of it is they're making agents that you can put in like point of sale things, or you can put in like cars as a chat. But like one thing they said is yeah, we can put this in a car and we can have the you know, you can navigate using voice the way you would normally like with a bunch of other apps. But if you navigate with voice using our app, it will only send you to restaurants or businesses that we have a deal with that are giving us a cut and so and you too the car company gets a cut two. And that was the innovation is that we can not give people like tell people where things are. We can tell people where things are that hey, us and you get a cut up.
Speaker 2: The company can like make a partnership with like Coca Cola. Right, so then when you we were.
Speaker 1: Literally talking to Coca Cola reps when I was there, it's showing them that like, yeah, we have a like look, we've replaced the human beings that take your orders at Burger King, and the chatbot can alter on the fly of the menu. If you have to get a smooth a lot of vanilla coat and you want to sell as many large as possible, it can tell people that's the only option. WHOA And like like the fact that they were just like bald faced about it, because when I showed up, they were they were demoing how this uh, this like Burger King menu with AI worked, and they were like there was a full menu that you could see that was like a like an updated screen menu, but there was a secondary menu where they're like pretending to be a guy who drew up to Burger King. And the way that they started was like, yeah, what burgers are good? What do you think I'd like? And I was like, who No one.
Speaker 2: Drives up, No one could drive through window and asks what's good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, that's not how they And again there's a menu in front of you. You look at the menu and like, that's how everyone buys food. So at first I was like, is this just a company that doesn't know how life works? Who are like trying to pretend this is like what people want where they go through? Yeah, you know, well what's good today in McDonald's. You know, do you have any specials? Which was crazy, But then I realized because they were talking to this small group of people, and I realized after a second, oh, because I looked at their badges. Everyone has badges that all of the people worked for Coca Cola, and so they were talking about how, yes, if Burger King wants to move you know, a specific kind of whopper, then we can put that front and center when people ask what's good and we can push it and said for coke, if you guys want to move vanilla coke, we can have. Whenever people order anything, we can have it. Say do you want to add a vanilla coke? A large vanilla cokes?
Speaker 2: Just like yeah.
Speaker 1: And so what I realized is that this company whose name is this is SoundHound.
Speaker 2: AI sound Hound Yeah, yeah, great, pretty pretty good name.
Speaker 1: Their motto was faster and more accurate, higher revenue. I came to realize, and this is this is not entirely a separation from other years because they are always selling to companies like this, but there was absolutely they were the only thing that they were talking about actual end users, as was a thing that you can pull extra money out of by tricking them, by pushing extra ads to them. And that's who they were actually selling to, is these companies that they were like. The other thing they demoed was you can make an agent on the fly and you can include the capabilities, and they showed us how to select it and then built an AI an agent to live in your car. And the demo they did was like, hey, my car is making this sound. What do you think it is? They didn't play the sound for the AI by the way they described it, and the AA said that sounds like it could be da da da da. It'll cost about seven hundred dollars to fix. Great book me an appointment with the dealership. So, first off, that's not how people work. I've had car everyone has car issues. A regular person there's a problem with your car. You either have a mechanic that's not the dealership that you go to because they didn't rip you off in the past, and you're like, well, I trust them not to bock me too bad, or you go to a couple because most people don't just drop seven hundred dollars in a repair and not think about it. But the person that this engineer is pretending to be for the purpose of this AI demo said, great book me a repair at the dealership, and the AI was like, okay, I've called them and I've booked you an appointment, and by the way, would you like to schedule the test drive for this specific kind of car. Oh, my wife loves that car. Book us And that was the whole thing is he was like, don't be impressed that we can theoretically book you an appointment. Be impressed that we can have the machine upsell you on trying to buy a new car when you come in to fix your old car that broke because you bought a bad car. And there was no shame. They were so proud of themselves, for this machine can repeatedly upsell you things. And that was the only utility. It was not this allows you to more easily navigate town. This allows you to more easily cut out problems in your life. It was. This machine can upsell you every minute of your day, everything you add to do, everything you try to have it do, and we get a cut of that. If we send it to a restaurant and you buy food there, we get a cut of that. And so does whatever company you know put the thing in your car. If you buy a new car, we get a cut of that. That was the product and that we have gone from here machines that do things. And even back in the glorias of smartphones, at least everyone was showing like, look, we have a new phone that's thinner than a phone has ever been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or like the camera is like you know, four K now or something whatever.
Speaker 1: The focus is always and now people who buy them can do this with it. Right.
Speaker 5: I mean, I would guess that so much of the impetus for creating this stuff and developing it is all for producer goods, and then the more revenue is honest, and that like, that's what the and all the consumer goods are mostly just getting you know, cast off is like now we have all I mean literally, that's what the LM wrappers are. It's just like, oh, we have this thing, let's throw a plastic robot on it and try and sell it. But what drives its development is squeezing just little bits, squeezing labor out of the pores of the production process, which it just gets you a little bit more capital to keep this engine going a little bit further.
Speaker 1: And it's so because the way it'll work is I saw that thing where it's literally all you've invented is a way to try to con people out of more of their money. I hope you're proud of yourselves, because I think redacted is what you should do to yourself. And I went from that to the booth of a company called Gintex, who had never heard of before, but they make different automotive products, and an engineer there showed me a thing that he had been the lead on inventing which was a sun visor. So like you know, when you're driving and there's a glare, you put down the advisor, and the visor is just like basically a piece of fabric and it blocks a chunk of your view, but it at least blocks the sun. And this was an intelligent visor that was clear and so you could see through it, but it also blocked UV rays and you could adjust the level of opacity if you needed it to be more or less, but you could still see through the mirror and it still blocked the glare. And I was like, oh, that's really neat. And then he pressed a button and it turned into a mirror. Suddenly that functioned. It looked great. I saw it. I know it works, and I got like an an, honest wow, I didn't know that was a thing that could happen. And that's a that's a real product, and I can imagine using it. That's like a problem where yeah, if you want to block glare, you're losing a degree of visibility and now you're not You've actually done something right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you could put Gemini into a toaster and call it a day.
Speaker 1: What if your toaster could talk to you about Proust.
Speaker 2: I guess see, I mean this is actually now that's an idea. If we're going to close this this more AI focused episode, I kind of want to circle back to Cloyd and like, why and why Chloyd Bloyd again exists.
Speaker 1: Just take a second, if you're listening to this at home on the drive, if you've got family around, look at each other, look another person in the eye, and say the word LG has a new home assistance robot named Cloyd. Cloyd roll it around in your tongue, you know, just think about it for a second.
Speaker 2: Okay, why Cloyd exists? Like why why is LG who's previously had some really impressive booths over the years.
Speaker 1: And they had cool TVs.
Speaker 2: They had TVs where the wallpaper TV was impressive.
Speaker 1: Every time I go to an LG's booth every year, I'm like, yeah, that's a better look on TV.
Speaker 2: Really TV. Yeah, it's great, But why why? And then the wallpeer TV is Okay, we there was wellpaper TV last year. It was it was slightly worse. This one's a little bit better. But why does Cloyd the big thing at the LG booth this year? Loyd right, because none of the technology that Cloyd is doing is new. Remember last year at Showstoppers, me and you we saw that really janky robot.
Speaker 1: You don't have to be more specific, but you said.
Speaker 2: Taking a robot that moves up in down.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, the pusher and shover robots.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, And Cloyd is like kind of that. It's like the actual physical robotic parts of Cloyd aren't new. And the sort of the sort of AI that's running.
Speaker 1: Clod and Cloyd as if someone needed to make Wally that was legally distinct enough to stop Disney from suing them, and tall and taller. That's how Chloyd looks.
Speaker 2: So why is Cloyd there?
Speaker 1: Why is Cloyd there? I'm always asking myself this.
Speaker 2: Is This goes into like what this what like Cees is like doing this year, and how it reflects this current state of the tech industry. Is that these lms like TRAGVT are not actually better than they were last year. No, they are. They are the same. So how do we make things look look cool?
Speaker 1: Just whatever improvements they are is not enough to notice for an average person.
Speaker 2: Very minimal. Yeah, So instead of actually having anything new or any kind of sizeable improvement to display. They're combining too old and some of their products are kind of archaic, combining two older products and trying to pass it off as a new thing. And that's these these these like older older like robotic systems right that you're usually kind of humanoid. Maybe they have hands, Maybe the hands can grab things. Can the hands unscrew up a milk carton?
Speaker 8: To no?
Speaker 2: Can can the robot grab milk out of the fridge?
Speaker 5: Yes, so long as you want milk from a very specific carton and croissants and only croissants, you, guys.
Speaker 1: As long as the milk has a QR code that the robot can recognize to know that it's milk. And also when it's emptier than a certain level, it actually will crush the milk thing like it has to be a certain level a full otherwise doesn't.
Speaker 2: But neither of these things are new. And the fact that ALG doesn't have anything else to display at their booth, the fact that they had to stoop so low is to regurgitate this old kind of cheap robotics and slap an LM in there and then call it a day, so that they have very little to actually show for us, and you see this walking through like the central hall set, the Samsung booth is into there, the Nikon booth is into there, the Sony booth is mostly a car. Like there's a lot of these big companies are really absent from actual products. The Panasonic has a really big booth, but it's mostly about like servers, it's mostly about how they're how they're improving, how they're improving data farming. There's no stuff, and a lot of the stuff that does exist.
Speaker 1: You even have to separate further from stuff that exists and actually might be useful to stuff that exists and might be useful because it solves a problem that the thing that it is already created. Like, for example, a bunch of I came to several different companies that had a car AI assistance whose job was to yell at you if you fell asleep or got distracted, and they were all built into these giant dashboard things that were the whole dashboard is a screen, and it's like, yeah, I can see why you need a robot to yell people get distracted because we have data.
Speaker 2: Because they're putting subway surfers on your fucking car dash.
Speaker 1: We have ample data that shows that when you have a giant screen in a car and people use that screen, they are actually worse drivers than when they're just drawn on a normal car. And soh yes, you have made the car. You can show me how this whole dashboard you can change it in a second. Look at all these different modes you have. You can smartly change your dashboard be whatever you want, and it'll yell at you if you get distracted. And it's like, well, but the only reason you're getting distracted is because your entire car is a computer screen, which it shouldn't be, and we know it shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: They're either trying to solve problems that they created or inventing solutions to things that aren't really problems. And like with and this is this specifically with Cloyd, and they kept the guy who is like doing the demo kept reiterating that Cloyd cluld Or already knows what you want before you have to say anything, right, whether that's a croissant that's slightly under baked, or he knows had a fold laundry just the way you use the way you like it badly, which is what she said in a kind of self aware ironic tone because this robot spent two minutes trying to fold a single towel and it couldn't do it. These things don't work, and they're not meant to. It's meant to drive traffic and attention towards the LG brand, because there's many tons of ours been like look at LG's new butler robot, right and that, and that's that's all that they're doing at this demo, because this is not a real product for sale.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: It is meant to drive attention to the brand and get articles, and then those articles are going to get you know, cited by by other by other lllfs, and it's this it's this cycle that just keeps building.
Speaker 1: There's some really impressive stuff there too, Like I went to Persona AI's booth which had a bunch of computers that had without that were not connected to the internet. All the signs told you that, And it has on pc AI image generators where it's all on the machine itself, and you know, one of the representatives said, come on, give it a prompt, it will generate an image. And I've never used an AI image generator, and so I kind of panic I'll be honest, like I got freaked out.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be some bullshit.
Speaker 1: Tom size more with dead kid. Yeah, now that's not Tom size more, but that is a man cuddling a dead child. The kid doesn't the face is gone, and that's not Tom size more. Like but you know, the future, the future.
Speaker 2: No this, I can't. I don't want to harp on Cloyd too much, but it's so it's such.
Speaker 1: A good Every additional time you say Cloyd, it sounds less like, such.
Speaker 2: A good example of what this show is specifically this year, how there's there's there's nothing new, so they're reaching into like into like the cees of of yesteryear. Yeah, I'm trying to push two things together and pretend that it's a new thing. And when it doesn't work, they're like, oh, this is actually a good things. He's folding the towel just the way I like, and that's bad. Poorly. Look, he spends ninety seconds putting a single shirt into the washing machine, and this is him being very thorough. That that was the words.
Speaker 1: He's being very thorough, really putting the time, and.
Speaker 2: You're like, this thing doesn't work.
Speaker 1: It is bad. It's a bad product. Part of the mistake they made, I think is that because this is the year of robots, there are robots there that are like industrial application robots that are showcasing we have made a robot with humanoid hands that is capable of more intricate movements than any other human hand robot before, and they should showed it like intricately folding like a wheel. And I was like, yeah, that I have not seen a robot with humanoid hands that has had that much dexterity before. I'm sure that has some useful industrial applications. And then you go from that and there's a bunch of other robots that are industrial where it's like, we have built a new tip for this robot that allows it to do this kind of automotive work, or allows it to do this kind of like manufacturing work, right where I'm like, I assume not being an expert on robotics, but you're saying it's the world's first robot that can handle this task. But that's at least an innovation. You talk about the ethics of replacing hit, but like that's a thing that is a new capability, and you have those robots next to the robots that human beings arectionally meant to buy and put in their homes, none of which work well, all of which are exactly as capable as robots twenty years ago, except there's a chatbot on them, and it makes it all look worse. Where you're showing me what theoretically the best in robotics can do, and then I'm looking at the thing I'm supposed to have in my house and it just fell down and it can't fold laundry, and you want me to spend six thousand dollars or twelve thousand dollars. One of the robot the uh uh I think it was like Booster X or something like that, the one that was dressed like Michael Jackson. You're supposed to have as a companion for your child. It'll help it with its homework using chatch ept.
Speaker 2: It's small dancing robots.
Speaker 1: Small dancing robot. Yes, yes, the small dancing robot that you've been hit in the head with a liquor bottle and it won't break. That was part of the ad video.
Speaker 2: You know how you always would to hit your get into the head with a liquor bottle, Get out this anger with this tiny child's high.
Speaker 6: Robot robot senator for your child.
Speaker 1: And again, if someone was marketing a robot senator, like are you angry at your spouse? You can beat the shit out of this robot and be fine. At least that's an idea.
Speaker 5: You know, with AI technology, the robot will actually learn your spouse's personality and respond accordingly. Take the beatings.
Speaker 1: Look, look, I've been hitting this robot after I come back from work every day for the last two weeks. And look as soon as I walk on the door it starts to shake the.
Speaker 6: Previous models in this way. It wasn't satisfied.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it took a long time for a team to figure out how to give a robot PTSD. By god, we've crossed the rubicon.
Speaker 2: As you can see, Vegas is taking its toll on our psyches as we've done a extended intimate partner abuse. Bid.
Speaker 1: He's not a partner. It's robot Garrison.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're right, it's not.
Speaker 1: Also, the robot can think and feel and has core memories and can love.
Speaker 2: You don't put those two things together. These only exist as separate thoughts.
Speaker 1: So this robot basically has a soul watches hit it with a liquor bottle.
Speaker 5: It would just be so great to like with all of the how much they're focused on the AI can develop real human connection.
Speaker 6: But it's also Sacharin.
Speaker 5: I would love to just do a booth where it's like we're teaching our robots hate they can't know how to hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I do want to end by noting one thing that we talked about a little briefly, but it is kind of low key. The most upsetting thing about this, which is I saw a bunch of different booths that use the term empathy, and what they meant by empathy was the robot can understand and anticipate what you want right that it's learning you and your patterns in order to offer you in more effect we assist you. And I guess technically, yeah, but reducing the concept of empathy to the robot knows when you might want snacks is kind of evil, like it's in its right empathy means the robot knows when to serve you. Is like a bad way to talk about empathy. I don't think most people when you know what is empathy, well, it means someone knows when I want to be up sold on a Hyundai. That's not what empathy is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, our robot learns empathy by being instrumental to you and useful seeaously what you know the core of empathy.
Speaker 1: We made our robot watch four hours of videos from Gaza and it immediately said, I bet those kids went on Hyundai a Lantra like that. I anyway, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's if your version of empathy is trying to sell coke vanilla because we have all of this, all this stock. Oh wait too much.
Speaker 3: We fucked up.
Speaker 2: We are in trouble, We're under That's what empathy is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, Welcome to the future.
Speaker 2: Everyone's a CES miracle.
Speaker 1: It's a CES miracle. Goodbye. This is it could happen here a podcast about things falling apart and today the things falling apart our consumer electronics as an industry. We are at CES twenty twenty six, the trade show where the tech industry shows us everything that's going to sell us in the next year. And we've seen some cool stuff and a lot of bloatwear, a lot of crap, a lot of AI enabled stuff that doesn't need to be AI enabled. Here to talk about it is our panel of experts.
Speaker 2: Needs experts is a strong word.
Speaker 1: But okay, yeah, panel is a strong word. Is even a strong word. I'm Robert Evans, Garrison Davis is also with me.
Speaker 6: And I'm Ben Rose Porter.
Speaker 1: And you know been you're an academic, right you do you do college?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: College, I'm a teach sociology.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, as a sociopath. Uh, how academy, folks.
Speaker 5: It's fascinating, love, I mean, you know, it's a fascinating world. Sociologically. You can learn a lot of the maladies of society at this place.
Speaker 1: It's most of them are on display here.
Speaker 2: We are now going to walk you through a bunch of the largely non ai products that we were able to find after sorting through the gunk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like like you know how people like pan for gold. Yes, if instead of like panning for gold and like a beautiful mountain stream like you were panning for gold and like a pile of used condoms, gold.
Speaker 2: Is also generous. This is the panning for pennies in a pile of used condoms.
Speaker 1: Right right now? What was the best used condom you saw it? Twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: Garrison, I think you mean, what's the best Penny good products. Did we see any good products?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some good ones.
Speaker 2: Did I I don't know if I saw any good products this year.
Speaker 1: The translation stuff is still around, and some of it's really cool now.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, we've in other episodes we've talked about the glasses and the earbuds. Most of the product sheets I have out now are at the very least mixed if if if not, it's not bad. At Eureka Park there was this product called Nodi, which is a smartphone replacement for kids, like kids like six to twelve if you don't want them having a smartphone, and it allows them to send voice messages to a parent and who like you know has like this approoved contact list, so you can you can also listen to music, listen to like some like radio, like like you know radio, dramas, price and books. It connects to Spotify. You can learn languages allegedly or you can you can learn words, right, you can learn words from other languages, and you can communicate with your parents. And this was like fine, right, it's the stuff that we've kind of seen before, but it was this little like you know, silken kind of looks like like a elf bar. If you're familiar with an elf bar, it kind of looks like that, and it's if, yeah, if you don't want to give your like, you know, six year old an iPhone, but you you know, want them to have a way to contact you, right, and that's like fine. Right. So there's there's a lot of like basic stuff like that. I guess that is like kind of okay. I don't want to be cynical for the sake of being cynical. That kind of stuff bores me. But there really wasn't that many good products this year because so many of them just were LLLM rappers, as we discussed in our previous episode.
Speaker 1: And there's another there were products that were good and I could tell we're good products on their own that they had still thrown AI functionality that I don't want that I know will blow out the price and also makes it me less want to buy it. LG was advertising their new OLED television that has like the most vibrant colors, the best OLED screen that's ever been on a TV. I'm sure it looked fucking great. Yeah, video of it. The colors, the darks are amazing. Screens are really good, but it's also with AI with Evo AI and show off it's vibrant colors and what's capable of. They had a loop of videos that were inspired by the hubbled Space telescope and you can see it if if you ever watched Deep Space nine. It's about the quality of the Deep Space nine intro.
Speaker 2: It does look very Star Trek intro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is frustrating because again we have images show the actual image show they look cool because you know what they are is real, Like they're real products of one of the most impressive things human beings ever made. And you're bragging that, like we have an AI generating images inspired by this thing that look worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a lot of those things. They're kind of mixed.
Speaker 1: I wanted the TV I want. I was like, Wow, I might like a TV like that until you displayed that part of it, and now I just kind of feel dirty about even the prospect of wanting one of your products.
Speaker 2: This is an interesting product I saw the like the Innovation Awards showcases is the acoustic eye, which is kind of.
Speaker 1: First off, that's an ear.
Speaker 2: That's an ear, like, right, that's an ear. We don't need to do that, But this is a secifically a security system that tries to detect very small drones. And this is like for you know, high profile people's houses. Mostly you can put that on your roof or your window and it'll detect very small drones that cameras would not be able to detect. So it's trying to like listen for drones. It provides three hundred and sixty degree omnidirectional aerial surveillance detecting invisible aerial threats. So I would assume that they're trying to excel these to like, you know, like executives like CEOs, politicians, people who are at risk of either you know, drones filming around their house or more like kinetic drone based attacks. Right, And this is an interesting product that's like very current. It's a very current product like this is this is a reflection of some of the times that we're in.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Found I found that to be one of an interesting thing. I guess these we should discuss the exoskeleton, which is maybe the best part of the show for me.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's all a lot more exoskeletons this year. The technology is clearly matured and mature to the point that not only is it, do they have viable versions for like industrial use for people working in factories and whatnot? Right, which two years ago is what they were always advertising, is that these are things that you buy at an enterprise level. And I know they're not primarily concerned with the health and well being of their workers, but actually these do improve health and well being of workers. Right. It reduces the felt load and the felt strain, It reduces the damaged knees and back, right.
Speaker 2: And that does affect their productivity, right, And it.
Speaker 1: Also affects the profit because you're not you're less likely to have workmen's comp claims. Right. It's one of those It's one of those things where it's a really good idea and the products work. There's a number of very good exoskeletons we received from a company called hyper Shell, an exoskeleton before the convention this year that you and I both wore on the floor. I have some data on it, which is that I timed my normal walking pace when I'm not particularly trying to get anywhere about nineteen minutes a mile, right, if I'm just kind of like walking casually. When I put the Hypershell on and had it at seventy five percent power mode. My walking pace was fifteen to sixteen minutes a mile, about fifteen and a half, I think is what I generally advertised. And my heart rate didn't change meaningfully. It was like one or two higher than it normally is, but not really a significant change and heart rate, right, And I felt like at the end of the day, my feet heard about a normal amount for a day at cees, but my lower back in my knees felt less strained. Right. That was my experience with the iber shell.
Speaker 2: It's like an external hip almost attatches around your waist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a belt around your hip and it goes up to right above your knees. Is kind of the and so it's not a huge footprint.
Speaker 2: No, it's a very small device. And yeah, goes goes on your hip. Then another strap like goes above your knee and it kind of assists or guides your leg and your hip up and down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And for the record, folks, the basic version of this product is about a thousand dollars. The version we had was about twenty one hundred dollars, right, And the battery will last about thirty kilometers. They say I didn't have any trouble getting about an eight hour day out of it.
Speaker 2: Ben, you wore it much more than I did. I wore it a little bit. Do you want to just talk about your experience with hyper Shell.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was impressed with it. It was, first of all, Hypershell, very funny. Am I like that name. It was pretty comfortable to wear, which is I always see the exoskeletons and I'm like, it looks kind of awkward. But it was like it was very easy to take on and pull off. I was, and it was comfortable, and it was pretty simple. And it basically just has two motors that sort of assist. When you move your leg, it pushes your leg and when it comes back in the step, it pushes it back down, and so it's just assisting and it tracks your leg pretty well, so there's just very little time when you're pushing against the machine. It's coordinated very well. I mean, it just functioned. It worked, and you could walk a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The fact that it's like, yes, it's a product that works and it does a thing that has utility, it feels increasingly rare at CEES.
Speaker 5: I was a little disappointed that the product did not pay attention to my emotions and build a relationship of empathy with me.
Speaker 9: But the walking was cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I asked the hyper Michelle about its opinions on Proust, and it had very little to say.
Speaker 2: It is it isn't like two main modes. It has like this eco mode and it's this hyper mode, which can get really aggressive.
Speaker 1: If you turn up hyper mode of lifting your legs, you can.
Speaker 2: You can you can be bounding, yeah, and you you can even you can addres like the torque. You can address like how how much delay it has. You have a lot of different settings. The one thing that I had a lot of fun with is that there's this other experimental mode I don't know if you turned it on yet, called called fitness mode. Fitness mode is cool. It does the opposite. It adds resistance to the like, so it's it's for like working out. If you want like a harder hype right, then you can you can. You can turn on fitness mode and then it'll be it's more work like how Goku trained to walk. Sure, But something I I I that's an anime thing.
Speaker 1: By the way.
Speaker 2: Now, one thing that I've found out through through my own my my, my own cunning is that if you have hyper mode turned on all the way, which it was when when Ben was wearing the exoskeleton on my phone, I can switch from hypermode to fitness mode immediately, which completely halts any movement. So you can be walking at like seven.
Speaker 1: Fuck up your friends if they don't have the app.
Speaker 2: At seven, you're walking with like seven miles an hour, really fast speed walking, and then I press a button and your legs are go to an immediate halt. And it was really fun to do that for about seven hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I almost crashed into several people just scare to get his kicks.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm glad you found the terrorize your friend option on that.
Speaker 2: It was really fun. It was fun.
Speaker 1: Most of the time I used it. I had installed the app when I got it, but I didn't think about it after that. Because there you can do everything on device, or at least you can do a lot a lot of analyze device. You get a lot more options when you're using the app, but you don't need the app to handle the basic functionality, right.
Speaker 2: I loved adjusting the like the intensity of how much how much doing? And it shows a who bunch of like applications, right you can wear yeah, hiking, like running, doing you know, lifting your work.
Speaker 1: And I like the thoughtfulness in there. You don't need the app to use this, but the app vastly the app allows you, gives you a lot of control that you're not going to get off of a simple like button.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It just struck me as good design.
Speaker 2: It has a lot of like fidelity. Yeah yepp.
Speaker 1: So that's the Hypershell folks good exos kels, And I've used a few at various cess and this one certainly strikes me as like a very good like consumer option, like if you, as an individual want one. And I'm sure still most of the sales are going to be like enterprise different companies that have like you know, want these for people who are doing like loading and unloading and like a loading dock or whatever. But I think the price prices will continue to go down and they are now hitting the point where this is like a thing that individuals can afford if they want one. And there is a lot of and Hypershell focused on this in some of their advertising, but there's a lot of utility for people with disabilities for stuff like this, right, Like that's part of the point of all of these different products and in general, when it came to the stuff where like the because there's AI in this too, Hypershol talks about it, and it's mostly just like how it learns and reacts to your motions, right that that's like machine learning. When we talk about AI, usually the useful applications you could also just call machine learning. That's what we used to say. But in general, the products that impressed me most and scared me most at CEES were healthcare related products. Right where we have a towel that reads your sweat and can tell if you have like vitamin deficiencies or if you're if you're not hydrated enough, or all of these different like the number of products where it's both like, yes, this thing can tell if you've like fatty liver disease like based on without needing to go to a doctor. And I'm sure that is useful and will help a lot of people. And also all of these products are selling your data to the highest better your health data. You're biometrics. If you ask them about that, Sorry, I am not aware of that being the specific thing for the fatty liver people. That was my problem with all the health wearables, I should just to be sure, I should clarify the wearable are all on the cloud, and every one of the ones I saw has deals with the LLLM companies that they're working with and are handing your data over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's how they get quote unquote smarter is through a massive data data collection.
Speaker 1: And so there's this thing where there is this kind of baseline expectation here that everyone is fine with handing over all of their data, all of their physical data, all their biometrics, which I they're like, the utility is undeniable of things that can diagnose that you need to go to the to a doctor, or can at least suggest like the existence of problems combined with and we are not at all interested in keeping that information secure. I find the kind of casual and no one will because I don't think people will. I think people will buy these products and not think about who's getting access to their biometric data. And I wish that people cared about that.
Speaker 2: And we've seen that specifically be a problem like around like pregnancy, yeah, and with states restricting abortion and the ways in which these companies are aware of people's bodies even before the actual people are.
Speaker 1: Here's an AD break. All right, we're back from ADS. So I went to Lenovo's booth. It was a bunch of laptops. I use Lenovo laptops. They make good products. It was every product there was. Either here is a new update to the line of laptops we've been making for thirty years. This is the latest one, this is the latest think pad carbon, this is the latest you know, idea pad or whatever. And then they had a couple of like the big thing that were showing was the Lenovo Twist, which is a laptop that has a screen that can twist around and so it can lay flat like a tablet, but it can also the thing that we're really showing is that it's motorized and it has AI enabled, so it can follow your face and you can set it to track an individual's face and as you move, it will move with you. Now it has two different modes. Is also you can like gesture to it, or you can command it by voice and you can say go into laptop mode, go into tablet mode, turn left, turn right. That did not work well. About half the time in the demo that I saw, it did not respond, maybe because the room was loud, maybe because the data was bad. But then he put it into face tracking mode and when you have multiple faces, you can pick which face it tracks and it swiveled to meet your face and it was cool and it did work very well. I was like, this is impressive, Like what is the use? Why would you want it? And he was like, well, say you're doing a presentation, like you're a CEO or something doing a presentation. This way the screen with your text on it or the PowerPoint on it will follow you as you move around. And I was like, that could be useful. I don't feel like many people are in that situation often. I've never been in that situation in my life, and I speak in public for a living sometimes, so I guess, yeah, there probably is a CEO who would benefit. There's like of those guys like what is the This is a whole laptop product line, you have multiple versions, and I didn't get a single reason why you would want this other than that, other than for presentations. And it's genuinely impressive that it can track your face and move as you move, but why And another product they had that was in the bolt Y category was the Lenovo Legion and this is not a product that's ever going to come out, but it was like a proof of concept. So it's their gaming laptop line and it has a normal screen that can widen to be three times as long and it unfolds. They have screens that unfold, and it's cool that they could do that, and it looked neat, and it's neat that a screen has that capability. I don't want it because it also it doesn't look I could see like obviously I can see utility and like you can have a screen that gets bigger without it being a bigger footprint for the laptop. But when the screen is unfolded, there's huge like speed bump size, looking like wads of screen that are bigger and like bulge out, and it doesn't look good, like it's a bad screen.
Speaker 2: It's like a little like bubby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it's fully extended, it's not like a good screen.
Speaker 2: You said, it's a prove of concept piece, Like there's this thing. I mean like they're.
Speaker 1: Showing that they've they're working on folding screen technology.
Speaker 2: The Twist was was like a previous version of that. The proof of concept called the Swivel was at CES last year. Yes, and they improved it and now it's a real product called the twist, right, and maybe this could be the case for this, like like unrolling unfolding.
Speaker 1: Eventually it will be in products, right, Yeah, But I also don't think I don't see how you cannot have the bulge just kind of and a girl to the screen work.
Speaker 2: The folding screens have come along way the past five years.
Speaker 1: I use one. Yeah, they also do have some pixel dying in the fold area.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, if you're trying to buy products for longevity, probably not the thing for you. If you like it for the novelty, and for some reason have enough cash to burn, then maybe it's something I think someone will be interested in.
Speaker 1: As I was watching an unfold, there were two guys behind me and talking about it, and one of them was like, yeah, it's not a real it's not going to actually come out like that's even like the old version of the chassis. And I said, I just don't really see a use. I don't think people want a product like this, Like I'm looking at it, the screen's not great, and I just don't see who's going to buy this. And the guy behind me said, well, I think like the the use case is like billionaire CEOs and other people have a lot of money. And I looked at it. It was a Lenovo rep and I was like, hah, that's not that's the use Why who are like that's not? Like did you just say that to me?
Speaker 2: A Lenovo rep said that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's one of the guys doing the demos. He had a wild Lenovo badge on and I, yeah, that was weird to me.
Speaker 2: That's wild.
Speaker 1: But again, at least it was a thing.
Speaker 2: No, it was it was a physical product.
Speaker 1: Cause the other thing they had they had the workstation, which the thing they were showing was there's an app on it that looks at your face and said shows you how fatigued you are by person, and how fatigued your eyes are, and like other data. And I was like, oh, that's creepy and kind of impressive. But then I walked away and I came back and it gave me a totally different set of numbers for my fatigue.
Speaker 2: Where you differently fatigued.
Speaker 1: No, I was a second later, and I did it four times, and every time the set of numbers was like different enough that the only assumption I can make is that it was those aren't real numbers. It's just generating a number and telling you that. And it's full of shit because it wouldn't have been so different if it was actually measuring anything. It's just random numbers that it's putting on to make you think it's measuring something.
Speaker 2: It's probably trying to it. There might be just subtle things that dramatically changed the numbers.
Speaker 1: I tried. I specifically once I noticed that, tried to keep my face flat, and I did notice when you move closer and further it changes. But I think it's just programmed to as you move, alter the numbers so that you see the number moving. But every time I came on new it was a different number. It went from like when I started was like point oh two, and the second time I came back it was point five to zero. And again I did nothing. I was specifically keeping my face neutral, like it's just this, it's not a big I think.
Speaker 2: I think that type of stuff will will get better, like we've seen versions of that before that have actually done like okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but there could.
Speaker 2: Be a lot of factors into like into why why the demo goes a certain way.
Speaker 1: The face tracking and facial recognition were But I went to this booth that like the big thing they were doing was like uh, driving assistant robots that would like yell at you if you fell asleep or if you like looked away and were like texting or something. It would say, like look away from your phone, look at the screen please, And there's definitely like utility there, right, Like that is probably a good idea.
Speaker 2: I mean we saw that last year at Samsung's section of Eureka Park for like like test taking, to like make sure students aren't cheating at tests, right, So it like sends an alert every time the students' eyes goes away from like the computer screen, like if they like keep like looking down like like under if they could be checking like their phone or notes.
Speaker 1: Smart Eye is the company. One thing I did appreciate it was that the little device that they put in was just like a circle with two eyes on it as opposed to like a whole dashboard. So that seemed nice. But the thing that they had the first thing I used was this optical recognition system where it learned my eyes and then when I came on, it would give my name every time I walked up to it and so like, yeah, it definitely like recognizes at least your eyes.
Speaker 2: That's a message.
Speaker 1: It could switch between different people. But it was also it can tell when you're drunk, they claim, And I couldn't tell that. I couldn't. I was high on kratom and I had smoked Delta aid, so I was definitely not sober. It didn't recognize me as not sober, so it couldn't measure those things. Maybe it can tell if you're drunk. The demo, it's it, they said it could, and they showed a woman when she was sober and when she was drunk, and they explained to me it was actually really difficult because we did this on a close track and she is really drunk and we had to jump through a lot of hoops for them to let us have a person drunk driving that's track. And I did find that kind of funny. Your response, that is how you test?
Speaker 2: That would be kind of a hard thing to test. Yeah, you could testing like simulations, right, but.
Speaker 1: They wanted like this was supposed to be a perf concept in vehicle and it'll shut down the car. I did have some people posting when I posted a video of that that like I have this condition with my eyes or that condition with my eyes, and normal optical recognition stuff doesn't work with me. Is this going to show that I'm drunk or is it going to be able to And I actually don't know. Again, I'm not I was not able to test the product that that does seem like a concern I would hope they've dealt with, But also I kind of doubt they did because usually there's gaps.
Speaker 2: I mean, I could see a company like this partnering with like an insurance company or partnering with like certain cars that would like, yeah, stop the car from being able to be moved if it detects the driver as drunk, yes, and how like false positives would play into that. And then you just like are like locked out of your car right because this robot thinks you're intoxicated and actually you're fine. You just like look like that.
Speaker 1: And I could also see them like rolling this product out and it hits like Thailand or something, and then there being a big store where it's like they didn't test this on any people of like Thaie Ancestry, and I actually sees all of them as drunk because of like an error in the coding sure, and being like oh great, like like I'm not again smart ie. From what I can tell, their technology worked, but in order to adequately like review and test it, you do need you need more access to it than they're giving it the show. I can't actually tell you if it works a determined when people are drunk. I can just show you they had a video claiming it does so.
Speaker 2: One product that I feel at best mixed about I first saw in the CS Innovation Awards section. This is called Self Insight Therapy Resolve XR from South Korea.
Speaker 1: Oh, one of my two favorite Koreas by the way, just since we're talking Korea.
Speaker 2: This is a VR therapy program that is supposed to give give you a final goodbye with a deceased loved one in VR. Yes, this was my initial reaction as well. And like I've seen Jon, I've seen versions of this before where it's like an LM or like an AI yeah, pretending to be your like dead wife that you're like hug in VR. Sure, and that type of stuff. I've I've generally felt bad about some of the people who've used it, like in like you know, like the promotional videos are you know, crying, and I feel and like the product in a way.
Speaker 1: As a friend, I will promise you if that moment ever comes for you all pretend to be your dead wife.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what to say that I've but what I found interesting about Resolve XR is that the the avatar of your deceased loved one is not that is not actually an AI, nor is it a fully pre recorded like prescripted like simulation. It is being puppeted by a therapist that you are working with as a part of the Gestalt empty chair therapy technique. And this this is what the product is. So you're working with a therapist who is using text to speech, that is talking as your deceased, as your deceased loved one as a part of this therapy exercise. If you have if you have recordings of their voice, the AI will try to replicate their voice. That's something I feel a little bit odd about. But like that is like the one like aspect of like que unquote AI that's being used here is for is for the voice cloning. And then there is like a pre a prerecorded set of like gestures that someone does in like motion capture, but the actual like like live puppeting of this thing is done by a therapist that you were sitting across from. But you have you know the VR goggle song mm hm. And this is this is not supposed to be something that you do like routinely. It's not like, oh, I like like I'm talking to my wife like my wife is in VR. It's this is a therapeutic exercise meant for people dealing with extreme grief, specifically when loved ones have been taken away during like like like accidents like they specifically mentioned like a plane crash that happened a year ago. And so just for people like an extreme extreme grief to give them like closure through this therapeutic exercise. And this is this is this is the this is the pamphlet.
Speaker 1: I went through a lot of whiplash because obviously my first assumption was this is an evil product where you like feed your loved one social media data and it pretends to be them, and it's not that, and it's good that it's not that, But then it's like it's being basically a therapist puppeting your dead loved one. There's a couple of conclusions I have. First off, these people are trying to be ethical. It does seem it seems like they care and they are attempting to provide something that is useful to people who are suffering. I also think this might fundamentally this idea might be fundamentally unethical and impossible to do well. So I think this might be a case of someone trying to do the most ethical version of something that cannot be done ethically, which is a category of AI device that I've seen this year.
Speaker 5: It's tricky because on one hand, you know, as I was talking to the woman at the booth and reading through the materials they had, it seemed like they were selling this as this is just sort of augmentation to a therapeutic practice that has already done. We're just putting a you know, a digitally generated face and voice to it. But it's so I mean, it's so easy to imagine just this company seems somewhat ethically focused. But yeah, all kinds of directions you could go in this. It's a Pandora's box, a little bit of like, yeah, where where we're starting to venture into creating replicas of the dead?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is And I went to a panel kind of in the same tone on mental health and AI that I thought was going to be an opportunity for me to harass an executive during a Q and A because which is which is one of your favorite activity? Everything to do with CES and there literally is like AI. There's ample data that it is a disaster for mental health, not just AI psychosis, but there are a lot of things that it makes worse, and a lot of problems that it causes people, and a lot of problems that it exacerbates, including like suicidal ideation. This is documented, there's data on it. So that's what I was showing up prepared to do that, and what I actually got was an actual clinical therapist who was trying to talk about who first started by kind by very much admitting the dangers with AI and the things that it harms in terms of mental health, and then was trying to say what would a responsible and ethical like therapeutic AI do. And her argument was, we know how many people need therapy and don't have access to it within the United States and worldwide, and some sort of automated BOT system that handles aspects of therapy might be the only way to provide affordable therapy to the number of people who needed who can't currently afford it, and I disagree, or at least I don't think that. I don't disagree. It's accurate that there's way more people who need mental health than can afford it. Right, that's undeniable, undebatable. I disagree that AI can help this problem in any meaningful way, and in fact think it will only make it worse. But I understand that she was coming at this from a I am attempting to define what a responsible, a therapeutic AI might do, and through the course of that I believe she is partially because I talked to her about this afterwards too. She thinks it might be possible, but is not convinced that it is in fact possible for there to be an AI therapy system that is actually useful. And one of the things she brought up was that in traditional AI chatbots, the big ones are all programmed to gas you up in order to keep you using them, right, the program to make you want to continue to interact with them, and so it does things that are really bad for your mental health and that can exacerbate and cause new problems, right because of the way these are programmed. So any responsible AI therapy chatbot would have to not do that, which I'm like, that is true, that you can't be a useful therapeutic tool that only praises people. Right, that's just not a thing. But when I came to afterwards, I was like, my issue is I think you're right about that, but I also think if you're saying the AI therapy bot is going to be a separate product that does not do these things. Number one, it's a high bard to get people to pay money for a tool when they already have the chat bot. And number two, if the chatbot that is good for them doesn't do the thing that makes it addictive, people will continue to use the addictive one for therapy. And she said, yeah, that's my worry too. And so I came away from being like, she's trying to explore if this can be done, and my conclusion based on her exploration as it can't.
Speaker 5: But it's so interesting that she said that because she and this is I mean me hearing you talk about her, she sounds like the only person who is thinking about this at all.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's convention.
Speaker 1: She was the only person on the panel. Yeah, of just it was a speech, not a panel, really, yeah.
Speaker 5: Of thinking about that, what are the social relations behind these technologies, because of course that's the main question here. Is a technology that can generate that can have a conversation with you? Is one thing It's not that really doesn't seem like the war of the problem so much. Well, all the machines that are having conversations are driven by very specific incentives, you know, to interact with their users in a particular way that has everything to do with the social relationships of their production and use. And the notion that technology would have any connection to social relations at all is completely absent from any discussion of any product I've seen here.
Speaker 1: Speaking of social relations between products and human beings, here's some ads. We're back and God, I really love those Chumba casino ads. They remind me that whenever I'm out in the world, sitting down with my loved ones, you know, watching the big Game, I could be gambling, and kind of every other moment of my life that I'm not gambling is wasted.
Speaker 2: Robert, have you heard of Calshi?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: So you know about politics, right, I love politics, And you know about insider trading, right, I love insider What if you could do insider trading about all of politics on the exclusive inferation that you learn as a journalist.
Speaker 1: Wow, that sounds legal.
Speaker 2: It shockingly is there's actually zero federal or state regulation affecting this whatsoever.
Speaker 1: That's the Calcie guarantee.
Speaker 2: There is no regulatory mechanism that exists on a state level to regulate this behavior.
Speaker 1: Now years and you say that, but that's literally just what's printed above their booth.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about maybe the worst product that I saw at CEES child Free Trust.
Speaker 1: Boy, So what is it like a software that lets you make a trust?
Speaker 5: This software was marketed towards child free people. They lead with twenty five percent of Americans don't have children and don't intend to have them. Hell yeah yeah, And so their idea is that they right here. Child Free Trust is the first comprehensive nationwide solution providing medical and financial poa executor and trustee representation for child free and permanently childless people. So if you are childless and you don't want to burden your loved ones, that's their wording with you know, your estate plan when you die, This is a company that will do that for you. What's interesting, though, is that I asked them. I said, well, look, you know this presumably already happens, what is in place, and.
Speaker 1: I have a trust in no children.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, Well does state appoints someone to handle this, they'll they will first see if that you have, if you have any loved ones who would want to take on these duties.
Speaker 1: And obviously people have kids aren't capable of love.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, they a little bit, I mean strangely like so it's it's an it's a product that is for we already have a public service that searches for people loved ones that could take on these responsibilities, and if it cannot find those, it takes it on as a as a public good. So it was a product completely without purpose. It was like you, in order to use this, you just have to be intent on separating yourself from society in this way. You have no loved ones presumably or you don't want them involved in your estate planning. You also don't want the state involved, so it requires this third party company.
Speaker 6: It was just a very strange product the way they presented it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's again, I have a trust and a will. If you don't have a kid, and you don't have like a you're not like married, or you don't have a surviving spouse, like, yes, the state will appoint somebody, but that process is slower and more expensive. If you want to avoid the cost, or if you want to avoid like having a trust and a will is not an unreasonable thing, especially if you want to make sure if you have assets and you want to make sure they go a specific place, you want to donate them somewhere whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, and like a lawyer can handle that, a lawyer.
Speaker 1: Should handle That is what I'm saying is you shouldn't use an app.
Speaker 2: Specifically, what they do that the lawyer can't is they provide a service for the corporation to execute power of attorney. And that is the main thing. So this is the most anti social This is the most anti social service I've seen it all of ces because it's built on this idea that if you have no kids and you are so separated from the rest of your family, like you don't trust any siblings, you don't trust a spouse, a partner maybe you don't have one, you don't trust parents, you don't even trust a friend to to like do this for you. Instead that you turn to a company a private company. You don't even trust the state, right because the state can handle this. It is a private corporation that it's going to handle your will, your estate and power of attorney. And that that's what really, that's what really got me because I asked them it's like, yeah, like a lawyer can handle all this, and like, well, no, regular lawyer can't be power of attorney. And I was like, oh, this is the core of your product actually is that it's it's for people who are so anti social, who have so separated themselves that they don't trust, They don't trust anyone with this. You don't have any loved ones. Really, it's not just about being child free. No, it's like it's about you you do not exist like in a social network whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Because I can see the kind of people who might need this are people or might want this are not the people kind of people who'd use apps, because the actual the group of people who definitely don't have kids and also may not have any living friends are people who are incredibly elderly. It's not even a factor of like their life is bleak that it's just you lived way too long. You literally don't have anyone left that you knew, But they're not going to use an app, Like that's just not how they think about. If they don't have a lawyer, they'll let have the state handle it. But like they're not they're not going to download the child free app. That's one hundred and four year old Okinawan woman to like handle this for them. There's like a graph on the bottom that here's like features and like which different versions have which features, and the three features are child free, trust, trust and will and then free will as one word, but the ws capitalized. I just like seeing free well and then checks and exis at the bottom. You don't get free well on all of the options. Sorry, what is free will as a surface scarrison? Are they saying the machine has it? Or is it literally a free will making service?
Speaker 2: It's I think I think it's creating a will and they're saying at free will. I think that's what I think.
Speaker 1: That's what they're doing. Okay, I mean but yeah, no, and this wasn't This was in Eureka part yeah, which is where the cool little products are. That's bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really bizarre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a fun bit that you could do if you had the money to show up and just do bits at CEES where it's like this company can handle all of your end of life care and decisions and just a booth with a handgun on the table.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about to close, let's just discuss like what this CEES kind of means in general. We already kind of discussed like the AI angle of this, and that's something that we've seen throughout this show is these these massive banners hanging everywhere about how CES is where innovators show k yeah, absolutely, and and how everything's based around innovation and creativity and this is where everything descends from and this sort of like like tech idealism that the world is based around these concepts of innovation and creativity, and they do not mention any any physical way that actually comes into the world or the sort of mechanisms of the world that allow innovation to take place. And Ben, we we've been talking a lot about this the past like two days.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's all we're solving all the problems of the world and we're fixing everything, and it's all eternal sunshine, and where that comes from is innovation and creativity. But those are just yeah, totally abstract quantities. There's not even a subject given of like innovators, Well, who who is that?
Speaker 1: Are the product you're innovating?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you is that?
Speaker 6: The owner?
Speaker 5: Is that the workers who make it? I mean, no mention of labor at any point in any of this, which I mean that's a given, but.
Speaker 1: Well that's not true. They talked about all the labories you could replace.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, you can, we don't need them. It's the innovation is drawn the full circle, it produces itself. Now, Yeah, just that this abstract quantum of I mean, it really is kind of interesting. It does become a blur of like who is the magical font producing all of this stuff? It almost sometimes it almost seems like it's the consumer. It's sort of suggesting is like it's actually you who creates all of this. It was very vague, very strange.
Speaker 6: M h.
Speaker 2: We went to that one panel about like trying to address underserved people who are who are like cut out of tech and like cut out of cut out of all of these industries.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it was very nondescript about who exactly that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They had people talking for the that are paralyzed veterans. Someone from the NAACP, and I mean it was just one again. There was no actual discussion of the social relationships behind technology. It was just entirely about this technology is here, It is the first priority, so everything else has to follow after. And yeah, very very unclear about they They would all talk about what technology could be used for, but entirely nondescript about where that process comes from, Who's making those decisions, where those centers of power are.
Speaker 1: The reach to have an for existing brands and companies that make real things to have an AI angle was the most obvious and tortured thing that I saw, And like one of my favorite booths every year is the Jackery booth. Jacqueery makes batteries and solar panels, and they make pretty good batteries and solar panels for like expeditions for camping, like the rugged that they can and I use them. They're good products. And this year they had the new addition of all their batteries and the new edition of all their solar panels, and as generally happens with technology, everything's a little better than it was last year. But there's not much room for AI aside from like the batteries have AI by which they mean there's like a learning algorithm that can determine like how to optimize aspects of like power draw or whatever.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's not really AI in the way that the AI industry means it, but I'm sure sounds real. But because that wasn't enough, they had this thing that they called their Mars rover, which was not a Mars rover. I don't think we'll ever go on Mars. Does not look like it could survive on Mars. But it is a rover that is a big battery on wheels that is intelligent and can drive itself and has solar panels that slide out. And the use case for this was it will travel around and can go to where the sun is in order to charge itself up and then head to you to offer you outlets when you're doing work. And it's like, is a robot that moves? Really? I can see like two points in my life where I might have gotten used to who's gonna buy this for?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 1: Where will it be deployed? It just roams around outside this expensive machine that does not look like it should get rained on too much, and finds the sun to charge itself up and then heads over to you to charge device. It can't charge a home. It doesn't power a house. It's like a little robot.
Speaker 2: Is it really camping? I don't know.
Speaker 1: That was unclear. They showed it being used, and they showed it as like I'm outside and using power tools. The robot came up to me so I could plug in, and like.
Speaker 2: I guess you could take like the park, you could take it to park.
Speaker 1: But it's big.
Speaker 2: It is pretty big.
Speaker 1: It's like a sizeable machine. It probably weighed eighty pounds. And again, like, it's impressive that it can go seek out the sun to charge itself up. It's impressive that you could like call it or like call it with an app and it will come over to you. And there's an outlet. Who what is the Who will buy this? Why?
Speaker 2: When that is not one?
Speaker 1: Again? I can think working in my yard, working out you know, when I'm shearing the goats or whatever, I have had to carry a battery with me because there's not an outlet out there and the shears need a battery. And yeah, I guess it would be easier if the robot moved there. But this has to be like twenty thousand dollars I'm not gonna buy a robot to do that. I can just pick up a battery and walk with it one hundred feet. Who will use this? Why it's not going to Mars? I assure you it's not going to Mars. Again, I wouldn't want it to be left out in the rain. And I love the Jaggery products. They make good stuff and the fact that like, yeah, you clear scrambled to make this, that you had a thing that can compete with all the other AI things. And I wish you were just devoting your LIFs to making better solar panels, which is what I want from you. Anyway.
Speaker 5: I'm just curious are the how many is here? Are they profitable?
Speaker 6: Like do they?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean some of them, some.
Speaker 6: Of them, but a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean some of them are funded with VC money and have not made a profit. Some of them are funded from VC money and have been losing money for years. And then there's also like like Lenovo makes it's a company, it makes a profit. They make products people buy, you know, Jaggery makes products people buy.
Speaker 2: There's also a lot of startups like the Eureka Park section that we've been referring to, like the stuff in the bottom floor of the Venetian that those there are you know a lot of startup companies who are looking for investors as well, So yeah, it is definitely a mix. Some of them are trying to do like business business sales, some of them are more consumer facing, some of them are looking for investors, some of them are profitable, and other ones are trying to boost their stock price by being here, kind of like Kloyd at LG. But I think what's really important is that everyone here is an innovator. And you know why we know that they're an innovators because they've shown up and only innovators show up here and they're the real the driving force of the economy.
Speaker 1: And I was feeling bad about myself until I saw that band and realize that I am an innovator.
Speaker 2: You know you are an innovator.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I showed up and I figured out how to be the guy on the most kratim at the at the CEO show floor.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, CS is so is so interesting toe be innovated like it? It runs both on this like technology idealism where everything is based on people geniuses, you know, your Steve Jobs having like ni Stag's job and he is the innovator, and everything descends from the idea that it's like the thing is like this like like tech platonism, So like this is one side of it. You also have like the tech accelerationists at CES where it's like they occupy this position of being so pro technology no matter whatever downsides is the current iteration might have because they need someone to hold that position in order for this thing to move forward. They know that there's concerns around data protection, but their opinion is that it doesn't matter. There is problems there, but we we the people here I see, Yes, the innovators need to ignore them because we have to push forward. And this is like this is what like the the Austrian Secretary of State said that at that one panel I went to. It's like data protection is a problem but in a but like it gets in the way of innovation. Yeah, and that's that's literally literally what he said. Yeah, and so you have you have this like this this like tech optimistic like acceleration like viewpoint of like technology will be better, but in order for it's to be better and safe, essentially, it's it's it's gonna gets kind of shitty and has some problems now, but we need to push forward through that all the way, Like we can't, we can't, we can't go slowly. It has it has to go forward. So they adopt this this viewpoint because like they need someone to hold this like tech optimism viewpoint in order for the process to like unfold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's something strangely clear eyed about that in the way that it's like, yeah, if I mean, if you're limiting your view to the system of capitalism, yeah, the whole thing goes into crisis if you are not squeezing a little more juice out of the orange, and if this is what it takes to do that, then then full steam ahead. They're lucid about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what else is lucid us saying it's time to end this fucking podcast.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, another CES miracle we have kind of survived.
Speaker 9: Hey, everyone, and welcome to the podcast. It's me James today and I'm very lucky to be joined again by Goudain, who's a journalist from East Kadistan working with HENGO, the human rights organization and lots of other organizations, and we're going to talk today about what has been happening in Iran for the past few weeks. So thanks for joining Uscordaine.
Speaker 11: Hello, thank you very much for inviting me again to the to this and yeah, I'm really glad to be here and I am ready to talk about all the things that have happening in the past few weeks in Kurdistan and Iran.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I think for a lot of people, what is happening in Iran in the last few weeks has not made punched into the mainstream US media for the most part, Right, So I think we should probably begin with a very basic overview of what has been happening and a little bit of why it has been happening and also where, because I think that's worth mentioning, right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, sure, So, just a few days before the Near's Eve on December twenty eighth, there was a spontaneous demonstration and strike in Tehran's Grand Bazaar, which is basically the center of Iran's trade and one of the most important backbones of the Islamic.
Speaker 8: Regime or revolution.
Speaker 11: There were strikes inside the Bazzar and so many shop person business owners just closed down their businesses and they took to the streets and inside the shopping centers and they started chanting against the regime and they were basically protesting the horrible economic situations and the decrease of the Iranian reol or the Iranian currency against the US dollar, which was one dollar was equal to one million point four hundred thousand Iranian reols. And then these protests quickly spread it all over the city in Tehran, and as usual this is what happens all the time, the Iranian regime forces they started attacking people and trying to control the situation, but it somehow got out of their.
Speaker 12: Control and the next days these protests, these strikes spread it to other cities, to other major cities from Shira's Mashad, Isfahan, Tabriz and many other cities.
Speaker 8: Got in involved. But in the.
Speaker 11: Early January, around January five to six and seven, there were major protests in cities like Malikshahi in Ilan Province and other cities in Kermanshah Province, which are basically the Kurdish provinces in western Iran. What is really unique about this is that usually when when protests happened across Iran, or when there is something happening, the Kurdish regions are the first to react, But this time the Kurdish regions, like if I want to say, the West Azerbaijan Province and the San and Dutch Province, they were not really involved because a lot of people were saying that in the previous movements, especially in twenty twenty two, we gave too much. There were too many victims here. But the center was silent. I mean Tehran and Shiras and these major Iranian cities, So a lot of people didn't really come out and there was nothing happening. And at the same time, this is my personal opinion, I think because there was also a heavy snowfall in Kurdish regions and it was really cold, and I think a lot of people.
Speaker 8: Just didn't want to go out.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So this was happening in Malikshahi and other cities in Elam and Kermanshah Province until I think it was January fifth that there was a really really big demonstration in Malikshahi. And it's a small city, but I can say majority of the people were out on the streets and then the Iranian region forces started shooting at people and they injured and killed a lot of people. And the hospital in that city that in that small city was full and they had no space anymore. So the people took the injured protesters to the center or the capital of the province in Ilam City, to the Imam Romani Hospital. What happened in this hospital was that there were so many people in front of the hospital, like families and relatives of the victims, and then after a few hours, the Iranian regime forces started attacking the hospital. There were so many videos and footage that came out, and we also posted it on hangout and all over the internet that the regime forces were basically surrounding the whole building and then they started shooting tear gases inside the hospital. And then there was a video that came out that these regime forces were trying to get inside the hospital and arrest or kidnap all the injured people or if there was a dead body or something, and then there was some sort of resistance from the medical staff, and then they started beating the medical staff. And then a few days later we also posted about it that some of these medical stuff in that hospital were also arrested. The same thing was also happening in a few other cities, but this was very specific and it got very viral on social media and a lot of people talked about it. But at the same time, there were massive protests taking place in Tehran and other major cities, which like I am twenty eight years old and I think I've never seen such thing happening in Iran.
Speaker 8: It was really extraordinary. So while these things were happening.
Speaker 11: There were also a lot of calls from people in Kurdistan that they were calling on Kurdish parties to do something, to say something. So on January sixth seven, Kurdish parties from Iran they had a meeting and they announced a call for a general strike in Kurdistan for all over Iran. So on Thursday, January eighth, over forty cities across Kurdistan they went on a strike which was really big, and it wasn't really discussed or talked about on major media, and it was somehow ignored while it was a really big action that took place there and usual after the strikes in Curtison, this is something that's happening for years. People take to the streets and protests during the night. It happened in a few cities and there were some people injured and also killed and then it's been over one hundred and twenty four hours right now as we're talking now that there is no internet connection in Iran and even the normal lines don't work. You cannot call anyone from outside of Iran. However, there are some people who have access to the Starlink Internet and some a few people that have access to I don't know, some sort of strong VPNs that work for a few minutes and then they disconnect. And at the same time, I have contact to two people who have been using the SIM cards or the Internet from Iraq or Turkey. They are living on the border regions, but they also have a limited access. So this is what's happening right now. And as we were talking about this, this blackout in Iran has caused a lot of confusion, a lot of horror that the world doesn't know what's happening exactly right now. After the blackout, there were a few videos and footage that came out that were published by major activists or journalists like ali Joan Mardy and so many others that they received these videos I don't know, from the Internet from Starlink, and you can see in these videos that in a place called Carrizac. It's near Tehran. It's where the Tehran's Forcenic Medical Center is located. You can see in these videos that countless of bodies, maybe hundreds or maybe thousands of bodies are just on the ground. They're in bodybags and desperate family members, relatives, all troum ties, they are looking for their loved ones, and it's just like it's so unbelievable.
Speaker 8: It's like movies.
Speaker 11: And apparently the regime forces have machine gunned all these people. Jesus, and right now, because of the blackout, we really don't know how many people are exactly killed, how many people are injured, how many people are arrested, or these things. You know, we don't know the exact numbers, and it makes things so hard. But today, a few hours ago, there was a report from Iran International that stated that over twelve thousand people have been killed, but this also is not fully confirmed because they just got these things through some sources. And then at the same time, CBS News also published a report and said that between twelve thousand to twenty thousand people have been killed, but again this is not really fully confirmed or terrified because there is no information coming out that much. At the same time, we also got reports from Kurdistan that in the city of Kermanshah, these regime forces were taking the dead bodies with bosses. We don't know how many, but we know that they were taking these bodies with bosses like we don't know how many hundreds. And from this footage that you can also see that the regime is taking all these bodies with containers like with talks all over the city in Tehran and they're bringing it to the center that I mentioned before, and all families are looking for their children and their people. At the same time, I also got this direct information from someone who is from rash In north of Iran. She was traveling from Tehran to Rush and she said that the people have burnt down most of them and also the banks and other government buildings. Are also footage all over the internet that in most of the cities that people have burnt down the whole mosques and buildings.
Speaker 8: Belonging to the government.
Speaker 11: And at the same time she also said that in that city there are so many people that are killed. She doesn't know how many or who, but families were desperately looking for their loved ones on the streets or anywhere. This is basically the same in almost every major city or even small city. We don't know exactly, but this is the footage that we got from Tehronily that it shows what's going on.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's horrific.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there are.
Speaker 11: Many many also in our organization, we got a few confirmations from these limited access that some of these people killed in Tehran are also Kourdish, and obviously from other minoritory groups as well. At the same time, there is a special case that I want to talk about. There is a person like a protester. His name is Erfon Sultani. He was arrested a few days ago and he is planned to be executed tomorrow. We don't know if they're really going to do that or whatever, but this is a really big sign that a lot of people are warning about it, like human rights organizations, and that the regime might carry out mass executions everywhere and just to take control over the situation. This is also something that might happen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so it did execute people after the mini protest, but they didn't do a three day trial right that they did here, They had like a show trial first that in those interesting series.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they executed dozens of people after gin Imani was killed, and also previously in the previous years.
Speaker 8: So this is like what what's in general is happening.
Speaker 11: And at the same time, like in diaspora in Western countries, there are groups that are on the streets, like people that are calling for solidarity or whatever that can be done to help people out inside Iran. Yeah, this is like a general overview of what's happening. And as I said before, because there is no internet connection and if there is, it's very limited, nobody knows what's happening exactly. Nobody knows the exact scale of the crimes that are taking place right now there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, let's take a little break for advertisements here and then we'll come back and talk a little more. Okay, and we're back. So if people have seen anything about this, I don't know, if they're on like a X they would have seen videos of mosk burning and maybe videos of the pak like shooting at buildings. You know, these are the videos that were kind of widely circulated before people lost access to the Internet. And I think there's some idea that like this isn't armed uprising, and I think it would be good to explain to people that like that there are people clearly the press. There is presence of like armed groups who apposed a regime in Iran, right, but they are not necessarily the ones like leading the charge here. So maybe we could explain a little bit about both the armed groups who are Kurdish. There are some armed groups in Balochistan as well, and like where they sit in relevance to these protests.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so far I can speak for Kurtisan, Yeah, there have I've seen also the footage that pak or the Freedom Party of Kurtisan published social media. I cannot personally confirm that, but but there has always been a call for military action against the regime in the previous years, and even before Regina Amini in twenty twenty two, there was always some sort of call from the people. But right now, as we are seeing, the Kurdish Party is the seven major Kurdish parties from Iran, they are not taking really a real military action because there is a big fear that if they do this, the regime might bomb the cities and kill thousands of civilians with heavy weapons and even missiles. So this is also one of the main reasons that even the parties have talked about it many times before when people called for a military sport. But of course I can also confirm this that all of these parties, all of these organizations have some sort of networks inside Iran that they are they are monitoring the situation, they are collecting information and they are like connecting people together. And in some cases that I am aware of that happened in my hometown in Urmia in twenty twenty two, some of these parties also have been able to lead the protests, like to organized protests. So this is for now the presence of these parties. But for Baluchistan, I can also say that I think it was in October or November twenty twenty five that all these groups in Baluchistan they had a conference and they announced that they are all united and they're all working together under one banner. So they also carried out a lot of attacks on the IRGC bases and vehicles in their regions in the past few months. But so far we haven't heard much from them in the past few weeks. We don't know they're not doing anything, or if they are doing anything, it's not on the inter.
Speaker 8: Yeah, or it's published yet. Yeah.
Speaker 11: This is the situation right now with the with these groups. But at the same time groups or parties actually like Pijac, they also have warned that this was like, if I want to say, quote on quote, don't play with fire. They were this Ermian regime that they shouldn't play with fire. Yeah, this is a situation right now that's going on with the parties as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's very complicated for people who are not right familiar. I think like maybe we should take a step back even further and just explain I guess the concept of it ran as like a contiguous empire might be a good way to see it, right, with different ethnic groups currently under the control of one state, Can you just explain that for people if they if they're not familiar it, because I think in the US, like Persian identity and Iranian identity by people who are not familiar with it are conflated, right, But if you could explain the different nations that exist within the state, that might help people.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Like Iran as a geography is a very diverse country. So basically the Persians or as they call themselves Iranians, are the dominant group. They are the majority, but we also have the Osari Turkish people who are the second majority, and then we have the Kurds, we have the Baluchis. Then there are Ahwazi Arabs in the south, and then there are Turkmen people, and then there are Thailishis, but their numbers are really small. And at the same time there is also the mas and Dharrani or the Gilak people that live in the Caspian Sea coast. There are also a different ethnic group. They have a different linguistic background, but because of the Iranian state policies of one hundred years, majority of them are assimilated and no longer carry that cultural heritage or identity. But in Kurdistan, in Baluchistan, in Ahwas, in Azerbaijan, it's it's really different, and also in the Turkument regions. Basically this is this is what Iran looks like. Of course, there are other small minorities like Armenians, even Georgians that migrated to like hundreds of years ago. There are also several religious groups like the Shia Muslims are the majority, which Persians and Azari Turks are basically the followers of this religion, and then there are Sunni Sunni Muslims who are like majority of them are Baluchis and Kurds and Awazi Arabs or other groups. And then we have several other groups from Jews, Christians and also the Yarsanis, which is a Kurdish religious minority, and they are about one million to two million people. Yeah, this is what Iran looks like.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, and I think people can can be easy for them to just see it as like Shia Muslim Persian modelith right, Yeah.
Speaker 11: But I also want to add a little bit more of how this works. So because the Iranians or the Persians are the majority, they own the state. The entire identity is evolving around them. And because of this, during the past one hundred and fifty one hundred years, there has been a policy of assimilation in every region in what's called Iran right now, for example, if I want to talk about the language right now, the only official language is Persian, and in the past one hundred years, this language has not just been a language of communication, it has been a language of oppression and assimilation. And there are many regions in Iran that were For example, if I want to talk about Kurtison, there are many regions in Kermanshah and Elam provinces and other regions that used to be fully Kurdish and they used to speak Kurdish just a few decades ago, but now they are completely assimilated. The same policy was also followed strictly but heavily in in Turkey and also in Iraq and also in Syria.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So this is how this has been working in the past century, and how all these ethnic groups with different languages and cultural backgrounds and identities have been forced to accept an Iranian identity that evolves that turns around the Persian identity and Persian language and history.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So this is also like a general overview of the oppression if I want to.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it's pretty the right way. I think people who have listened to our coverage of ME and MA will be familiar or like, I mean, this is happening in countersplaces, right, This is this is why British people will speak English now, yeah, right, this is this is how sort of channel empire works. I wonder like we should talk about the possibilities and to an extent, the demands here, right, Because in the US it seems to be that there is a binary choice or that it's presented as a binary choice between the current state in Iran and a monarchy, and it doesn't seem to be an option for self governance, right for Iranian people to have democracy, to have liberty, and that's evidently not the case, right, Like when you have this many people in the streets, that's how democracy works. But let's talk about the sort of the demands and then the possibilities of just being co opted and turned into another type of state.
Speaker 11: So here in these days or basically in the past decades, the main demand of people, all different ethnic groups and in the geography of Iran has always been a regime change. They want just regime gone. Yeah, this is the first thing that everybody wants. At the same time, there are other possibilities that could be there. One of the things that when you look at these ethnic groups and their organizations and the people, you can see that also most of them want some sort of federalism or autonomy or self governance. At the same time, this idea of federalism and self governance or self determination is nothing that let's say that the dominant group would accept because they don't understand it. Because for them, I wouldn't say all of them, because I can we cannot generalize everyone. But when you look at it, the dominant group sees Iran as an entity. That's that's not the verse. It's just Iran and everybody's Iranian, just like the way Turkey, you know, or the Turmh government sees everything everybody's Turkish. But in Iran they also say everybody's Iranian. We will have an election, we will choose a president, we will have a parliament, and that's it. That's what is also being let's say offered. But at the same time, there is also a call for monarchy. But this is also something that not majority of people, even Persians, majority of them don't want monarchy back because there is a huge discussion between people that here we are fighting against a dictatorship, why would we bring back another dictatorship. Overall, I can say that the minority groups, majority of them, for now, I would say, like if the regime is going to be changed, they want self governance. But maybe in the future also independence. We don't know that this is something complicated to talk about, but for now this is what minority groups. But in the Persian community, some of them want to have like a republican system or whatever. But some of them also want to have monarchy back. And there are also other groups who reject both Republicans and also like monarchists, and they want to have more diverse and more open system for the future. But again this is something that we cannot say how it's going to be proceeded because we don't know how the situation is going to be and how these opposition groups are going to work together in the future. Are they gonna start a civil war or are they going to sit down together and find a solution. This is all depends on how the regime falls and when, and the destruction of this regime is the biggest priority right now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I mean we could see a situation very much like the one that's happening and folding right now in Western Kurdishtwan, and folding later in Iran if theyre falls right, which unfortunate is something else we have to talk about at the time, but very terrible things happening there too. Because you know, most of our listeners are in America. The way that people may have engaged with this is through Donald Trump's posting on truth Social where he has said that help is coming recently, Like, let's talk about what US intervention means, like, especially in the context of a like the US having intervened all over the Middle East, and what that has meant and be Like the US's recent national security strategy, which suggests that basically they don't care about the region and they don't want to be involved in the region. Let's talk about what that means and why it might not be the panas here people think it is.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So in the past few weeks, Trump has.
Speaker 8: Said a lot of things.
Speaker 11: In the first few days, he came out and said that if the regime is going to kill civilians, we're going to do this, and that we're going to punish the regime.
Speaker 8: And then I.
Speaker 11: Think it was an interview or he was on TV, I don't exactly remember, but he said something that all the people that were killed, we don't know if the regime killed them. Maybe they just were killed in the crowd, like there were like thousands of people in.
Speaker 13: The really yeah, like a crush. They were crushed. And this is so unbelievable. He's making these comments and then he's just threatening the regime all over again. And just a few hours ago, as you mentioned, he said that the help is coming, and he's asking people to keep fighting and keep protesting and.
Speaker 8: Things like that.
Speaker 11: However, we should also, like regarding this, we should talk about what people also want from Trump. Yeah, this has been like something that a lot of people, again this is not the majority, A lot of people have been calling on him or basically on America or something to do an action against the regime, to do something against the regime or damage the regime so that people can get rid of it. And right now, I saw some screenshots from people who were able to get access to the internet for a few moments. I saw one there was shared on the internet that a woman from Tehran was saying that they are killing everyone. I don't know where my children are. One of them is nineteen and the other one is twenty three. She was just saying, please, please be our voice and just tell them to attack, tell Trump to help. So this is also something that there is a call for attacking Iran and destroying the regime. But again we don't know if Trump is really gonna do this or not. There is also like threats coming from Europe as well in UK. But again, as you mentioned, if these attacks happen. We don't is it going to be something like Iraq or Afghanistan or other places, or is it gonna really help the people of Iran, the people inside around to get rid of the regime, which is also really hard to understand because Trump hasn't been really clear about all these things. On one side, he was also asked if he has any talks or connections with the so called Prince Razapa Levi, and he said, no, he's a good guy, but I don't want to talk to him. But then now you can see that on Fox News, like all the Trump affiliated or pro Trump media, they are promoting this guy all the time. And at the same time, Rizzo was also on TV and he was on CBS and he said that he's directly in touch with Trump and administration. So we don't know like what exactly, I mean, it's so hard to some what exactly the US is going to do. Yeah, they also announced that we're going to put more like twenty five percent tariff on countries who work with Iran or trade with Iran, And then the European Parliament also announced that we're going to ban all Iranian diplomats from entering the European Parliament.
Speaker 9: Right, not made to begin with, all.
Speaker 11: These comments that are coming out, they are so vague, and at the same time there are calls from Germany, France and I think Australia too that they were calling on the citizens that are in Iran, like tourists or whatever, to immediately leave Iran. Yeah, this is also something that we don't know, like Trump is not somebody that you could trust.
Speaker 9: Yeah, ask people.
Speaker 11: And at the same time, sorry, this is also important. There was also some news that the Iranian authorities in the Foreign ministry were trying or they contacted some people from Trump administration for negotiations, but then Trump said that we will not negotiate anything.
Speaker 8: So this is all like all.
Speaker 11: These contradictions that Trump is just talking about, and he's denying that the regime is killing people and people are just being killed because it's too crowded.
Speaker 9: And then you see Harminly like tweeting that everyone out in the street is a Trump supporter, right, which is like that's useful to him, that narrative is useful to him, that these are American imperialists or American whatever puppets.
Speaker 11: Yeah, of course that has been the regime's behavior forever. Yeah, whenever something happens, they immediately blame it on America, Israel. I don't know UK, but it's good that you mentioned what company was saying. In the first few days, he said that, yeah, we hear you the people in bazaar, and yeah we hear you, sorry that this is going on, and things like that. But then he immediately said that the people who are protesting, they are destroying everything and we will deal with them in the harshest way. And then the president of Iran and he also came out and he said almost the same thing, and then he started threatening people. And a few days after that, the head of the judiciary, the Iranian judiciary came out and said that like in a very very aggressive language. He said that we will deal with you in the worst ways possible, we will destroy you, and things like that. It's he posted a lot of texts on his Twitter account.
Speaker 8: His name is Mosci.
Speaker 11: So yeah, there is also like a huge online fightings between these politicians and so called leaders that makes the situation even more complicated and hard to understand.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think from a US perspective, like when America invaded Rock Right, they had a partner force in Kurdistan. When when America worked in Syria, they had a partner force again in Western Kurdistan, Like they don't really have that here like this, it's not really a I mean, the payarch is still on the American Foreign Terrorist Organization List. It's not like that, like American sort of partner force boots on the ground like that that they had these other places to likely what they would do is just bomb stuff. That's kind of the approach it most likely here in it bombing alone is unlikely to remove the regime.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think bombing was is definitely not enough of because they bombed. They tried regime hardly last year, but it is there. Of course there was the regime got weaker, like weekend really bad. But at the same time, like I think, if there's gonna be something, and if there's gonna be something like Syria or Iraq, I think the Americans or the American government would possibly work with the Kurdish groups even though they are on the so called terror list. Like you know, it happened in Rosova in Syria. That's how they they've been working with the Kurdish groups even though they are related to PKK and pkk is on.
Speaker 9: The terror or they removed them that they did with HTS, right, and then suddenly these guys they've transformed.
Speaker 11: Now, yeah, so this could also happen, but we don't know because it's been years. It's been decades that the US is always threatening Iran and then something happens, then they do nothing and it's just there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it reinforces the legitimacy of both states to threaten each other, right, and see each other as adversaries, and to a degree use that for domestic violence against their own citizens, right or if you know terrorism stuff. I guess finally we should just talk about one other thing that Hamani said, which is like that American and it's really shipping would become legitimate target if you thought the Americans were involved, right, just to explain, this is the possibility to have people if they're not familiar.
Speaker 11: Well, this is not a new thing, to be honest. They've won this before and in the previous years many times. And there were times that they attacked some US bases, like the one in Iraq it's called Al Assad or something like that. They attacked it a few times I guess in the past few years.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like This.
Speaker 11: Is also really complicated because how can I explain the regime always does the threats and it might not do it at all. But at the same time, this is also something that I think that if the regime falls and if it's the last moments, they would probably try to do something to damage the region or to damage the people as much as they can, and then they would just give up on everything and just disappear.
Speaker 8: So they could do that.
Speaker 11: But if I want to go back to last year, we also need to understand that after the Twelve Day War, Israel also destroyed a massive amount of Iranian military bases and all these buildings and structures, but still nobody truly understand how much has been destroyed. But the Iranian Air force is really really weak right now and apparently completely destroyed, so Iran is not as strong as before. So there could be a possibility that Iran actually doesn't have the capability to attack US Bass across the region anymore. So this could be also a possibility that they're just threatening. They really don't have anything left anymore more. Their trick capabilities are completely down.
Speaker 9: Yeah, or they'll do that sort of symbolic send a half dozen Shaheed drones and then let the Americans shoot them down and they say, oh, well we tried, or you know, we h we attack them, even though you know most of the time they have hurt a couple of American people with them, but relatively unsuccessful. I wonder like this is obviously a situation that people will want to follow. Things are developing very quickly and new good news, good reporting on around. It is very hard to find in America. So where would you suggest people look? Either you know your own stuff or other sources you suggest people should look to.
Speaker 11: If I want to mention for obviously, I work with a hangout organization. It's a trusted organization. People can follow them. And there is also a journalist called Ali Jawan Mardi. He is a supervisor at Voice of America, Kurdish, Persian and Afghanistan. And these are like for the sources that I personally trust. There are other organizations such as Curtis and Human Rights Network. There is also Iran Rights or Abdur Rahan Buruman Center for Human Rights in Iran. There are several organizations human rights organizations that are constantly reporting and they are trying to reflect what's happening and there I could say majority of them are honest and they're not trying to push for a specific narrative, especially the Palabists, because right now, if you check the media, the international media, the Iranian media such as Iran International or BBC, Persian and all of these major medias, even in the US, they are pushing for the monarchists and they are completely ignoring the other groups.
Speaker 8: Like, for example, the Kurdish people.
Speaker 11: I said, I mentioned that there was this great and big strike that happened in forty cities. It's it's a very big social act, but barely anyone talked about it. Barely anyone mentioned it. So I think it's for people it's better to follow human rights organizations and do not really fall for the things that some media that are just promoting a specific person, because they're just taking away the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's a fantastic place to finish up. Thank you so much for joining. Guys, if people want to follow you, do you have any social media or people can find your work.
Speaker 11: I have my personal page, but it's not really big. I just post some slides recently, and my other page curtis signing people. It got disabled unfortunately I started. I'm just posting like some updates and like slides about the important things that I find. I can also put the links there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, will include them, believe the podcast, so people can click on them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, fantastic. Well, thank you so much for joining us this evening. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thank you very much for having me again. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Why do you listen to this podcast? It may be because it's a strange comfort in naming the thing that's breathing down our X today. I want to archive this past year of systemic collapse, a pile up of small and large failures we can start to make sense of in retrospect. If we don't look back at our past and the patterns within it, if we don't keep these moments and events in our memory, it's very very easy to get stuck into a perpetually overwhelming present. Welcome to take it up in here. I'm Andrew Sage, the guy behind Andrewism on YouTube, and I'm here with.
Speaker 9: James Stout, the guy you here all the time this podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to your podcast. Yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 9: It's nice to do one with you.
Speaker 3: Are you ready to take a look at some of the stories that shaped twenty five.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's been a hell of a year. So did she be fun?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I don't expect to be exhaustive, but we can, you know, talk about some of the incidents in climate, in politics and technology and geopolitics, and through all that, I want to ask what these stories are teaching us as anarchists, activists and just people trying to live in a society. Yeah, so I suppose first we could talk about the climate and infrastructural situations, some of them that took places. Yet it really covered all of the elements. We had heat, flooding, drought, fire storm. According to the World Meteorological Organization, global temperatures in twenty twenty five ranked among the hottest on record.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: The WMO put twenty twenty five as likely this second or third warmest year in the observational record. So a little round of applause for hitting some miles stuarts right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's good to be winning.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Power systems also have been overloaded under air conditioning demand, leading to rolling blackouts in cities and rural areas, schools closing during heat waves, and mortality rising among the elderly and Preherious international agencies have worned that extreme heat is producing double digit crop losses and mass livestock die offs in some cases. Brazil in particular felt that heat in agriculture and supply chains. Staple production and food imports both suffer due to the heat, and those ripples are going to be felt for the rest of us too, because Brazil is a bread basket of sorts. It's a top exporter of tons of really important agricultural products. And the monsoons also arrived with quite a mood this year. South Asia's Turn twenty five rains came very heavy and very persistent. In many places, urban drainage, field neighborhoods became isolated by the waters. Trains and roads were unusable for days. Bangladeshi and parts of India saw a catastrophic flooding that took hundreds of lives and displaced millions. Over in the Horn of Africa, wells ran low, pastures, field and small farmers suffered under the pressures of the drought. Their water distribution systems weren't built to withstand multi year dry spells, and so hunger crisis has ended up escalating, particularly in Somalia. Yeah North America and Europe also had severe wildfires this year. At this point, it's very easy to kind of see them as a new normal, you know. Canada's Turn twenty five season pushed agencies into one of their largest domestic wildfire responses in years. Firefighters were stretched, entire towns had to evacuate, and Southern Europe, in particular Greece and Spain also saw fast moving fires that consumed homes and utilities and left landscapes scorched and infrastructure severely weakened. And then, of course they were the hurricanes. This year, The Caribbean was slammed by Hurricane Melissa, a very slow and powerful storm that devastated Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti and others, tearing up infrastructure, and they even large swaths without power for weeks. The storm's exceptional energy is of course thanks to climacy. And so all these events and I'm definitely leaving outs. I believe they review a few things. For one, I think it's clear that our systems can't handle the new extremes being brought about by climacy. They may have been built for previous normals, but not this. And this is something that climate scientists have been worn and about for some time. You know, electrical grids were sized for incremental loads, so they couldn't handle these simultaneous peak demands. Urbans to a water management was built for a particular volume of water over a particular period of time, they can handle these volumes of water that are pouring down from above. And also water management systems in more arid regions weren't prepared for years of drought, and so the systemic shocks of this year have been very devastating for infrastructure. And unlike their propaganda, which tasted they are necessary for our survival, for our well being. To manage society. State responses to these catastrophes were often reactive and chronically delayed. Government intervention and international aid helped in some places, I'm not denying that, but communities have also often found themselves on their own, having to improvise survival strategies. And of course with every disaster there's an extremely long tale of recovery after the initial crisis has passed. So it may leave the news cycle, but that people still dealing with the consequences and we'll be dealing with it in the year to come. But these disasters continue to show the ingenuity and capability of ordinary people to organize, support, distribute aid, facilitate evacuation, share resources, and so on. So we're not powerless. We don't have to be dependent on slow bureaucracies. Develop resilience. It starts with us as people being proactive, especially you know, I would say, don't wait for the disaster to happen in your area to develop a response plan. Invest your time and energy in this coming year in horizontal capacities, skill training, community drills, share two libraries, seed and food sovereignty projects, local medical knowledge, decentralized energy and water projects. I don't place much on the demands of the state, but they are also sometimes granted to may be able to apply for that. Can you know, secure some resources in community hands, and of course keep documenting these incidents as they're happening. You know, don't wait for a disaster to hit your area to learn the lessons that other places had to learn, you know, go and see where your vulnerabilities lie un others have done to respond, Train people wh necessary, and just try and keep up to good fight. Would you say there was a particular environmental crisis for natural disaster the year that really stood out to you.
Speaker 1: I mean to me.
Speaker 9: I think the ones that I just because they're personally related to places I've been were the earthquake in Memma, right where we saw not only people die as a result of natural disaster, but people die as a result of the state considering it's desire to keep people in mem r away from the world more important than their lives, right, like the state choosing not to allow search and rescue teams from France, for example, to enter and instead like you know folks I know who are fighting and the revolution in the Ammar, like laying down their arms and trying to work out how to pull collapse buildings apart before the people in them died exactly. I think that it really was like the poly crisis and then the flooding of indigenous communities in Alaska, right, the coastal communities that we saw like a month or so ago, And that one hit me particularly hard because like these people have been screaming for a decade that climate change has come. It's not coming, it's come right like the like the end is not nigh for them, the end is here. The ways of life are being destroyed by climate change, and the whole communities got wiped out right just before winter, and in a place which has one of the hardest winters on Earth. All their food caches, right, because these are people who tend to to fish for a lot of food, so they cash food they don't go to the store, were also wiped out. Like it's just one of those examples of like one can't be prepared enough to deal with things and one can't control, right, And one of the things that we can't control is climate change, and it's coming.
Speaker 3: For all of us, but yeah, it's coming for some people foost.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's always going to be indigenous and more marginalized people, right whose plate is ignored. Like people can say climate change isn't real because they have the relative privilege of not having their homes destroyed. And like, rebuilding those communities will be very, very hard because the only way to get there is on a tiny little plane or a boat, and everything they've got there is taking generations to build and it's all gone. Yeah, So those two really struck me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I take ways from what you've shared there, as the state will often get in the way, Yes, of our survival will well be in Yeah, and that you know, the crisis is here and it's already hitting people, and just the people are being hit right now, are the ones designated as sacrificial arms? Yeah, in a sense for the continued pursuit of economic growth and progress.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Two twenty five also saw an accelerated political coming of age. You know, gen Z has not been all teenagers for a very long time now, it's been mostly adults or soon to be mostly adults at this point, depending on where you draw the line. And that generation our my generation has shown up in the numbers for the past few years, but particularly this year, inspiring millions. You know, gen Z became a very visible political force in the headlines across very different geographies. Madagascar, Morocco, Kenya, Nepal, Peru, and Mexico all had uprisings driven by a mix of grievances rather be corruption, the cost of live in, lack of services, violent policing, and a feeling that all institutions had nothing to offer. Now, these movements were not a monolith, you know, but they did have some common templates. You know. They organized digitally on platforms like discord or telegram, and they mobilized very quickly, a lot faster than states were originally able to keep up with. In Madagascar, the youth had mobilized during water, power cuts and broader corruption, which eventually toppled the rule in government and triggered military moves in the form of a kulita. But it doesn't seem so far that anything fruitful, stable or lasting has come out of their cause quite yet. Right now Madagascar is a military kernel for president, so it remains we see in what that leadership brings. In Morocco, the movement gen Z two on two organized demand better education and healthcare, decent housing, and jobs, and we're eventually met with state pushback in the form of arrests and infiltrations. Now they eventually won some concessions from the government in the form of greater funding in this sectors demanded and draft bills that incentivize youth participation in the official channels of power. But it remains we've seen how long that will quell the tide, because it seems to me at least that this is the classic tactic of, you know, incorporating a radical movement into the machinations of the state to temper its energy. Yeah, in Kenya, we saw mass mobilization against police brutality that was met with yet more police brutality and extra judicial killings, now numbering in the sixties. With a very clear aim for the suppression of descent. So far, none of their goals have really been recognized or achieved as a movement, and it seems as though they've similed down due to the share violence that they are faced in response. In Nepal, perhaps the most famous of these worries for this year, the students led uprisings topple the corrupt government and forced concessions with an election coming up next year twenty twenty six. But again, what comes next is yet to be seen. Whether it be lasting, empowering, or sustainable is an open question. It's another uprising where in my view, the fundamental institutions have not been overcome and thus their goals will not be achieved mediately. But I think every movement, every generation has their place for political development and figuring out some of these shortcomings of these approaches. But I think because of how tight the timeline is for the need for like radically drastic action for the sake of the planet and for the people on it, I really wish that these lessons were learned a bit quicker. You know that we didn't have to go through these seam cycles of you know, missteps again and again with movements. Yeah, you're right, what it means to be seen whether that sort of political development can be accelerated as the crisis accelerates.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like I feel for the youth, like like now these revolutions, a sense of urgency is so high, right because the system, Like, if you're a millennial, I guess you grew up. If you're me, maybe I'm saying here, like really you grew up. You know, you were told like things will always get better and you will work hard and like just like your folks, you will buy a house in the house will get more valuable and that will be nice and blah blah blah. Right if you live in in this sort of the colonial core and that didn't work out for most of us, but for for gen Z folks, it's like the town that you live and will continue to exist is up for debate, right, Like the climate that you were born in will be completely stink from the one that you have children raise children in. Probably the urgency of the need for change is so much with young people today, right, Like, you know, yeah, the economy that my generation was promised doesn't exist for us, but the planet that gen Z was promised isn't going to exist for them. And the information system is so fucked for young people today, right, and so captured by corporate and state interests. And yet despite that, or maybe because of that, we've seen some of the most beautiful revolutions that I can recall, Right, Like, when I speak to gen Z folks in Myanmar, they approach the revolution in a distinct way from the way that like the revolutions I'm familiar with from the nineties and two thousands did, but also just from like a very human desire for a better world, for equality, for a beautiful life. And so like, I'm very hopeful at the same time as I feel for people of the younger generation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think there's there's a lot of cause for hope that such numbers can be mobilized. But I would love to see those numbers get mobilized in the countries that we've been talking about a more radical be than simply bringing demands to the state or or changing up one government for another.
Speaker 9: You know, yeah, yeah, I mean in the case of me and Marlika. That's certainly like that is the case, right, Like they're not thinking about changing one running party for another, They're thinking about changing the way governance works, right, They're like bringing democracy to people. To be clear, there isn't really a coherent set of exact demands for the revolution, but many of the young people they speak to are looking at how can we create a model that doesn't allow for a genocide to happen against one group, that doesn't allow for the military to walk into one building and take away everyone's future. And I think that's very.
Speaker 3: Beautiful exactly, that's that's inspiring. Yeah, yeah, I think asking those questions and asking even more questions, I think as how this generation is going to get to, you know, certain conclusions about whether this current project should continue. Yeah, this current state project, this current capitalist project, this current patriarchal project. The more questions get asked, the more answers get illuminated, and the closes, I think we can get to a viable and liberatory alternative.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, definitely the case. And I think some of this is just like some of it we have to work out on the way and that's okay. Like I think the twentieth century, the idea of a revolution was like this violent seizure of state power, often by a vanguard group with a very specific project that they were looking to implement. Right, And in the twenty first century, we haven't seen that, or the time, we have seen a lot more of like this is bad and it has to change, and we're going to make it change, and we'll work out which direction we're moving as we go.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, then that's latently ideological, I'd.
Speaker 9: Say, yeah, And like I think that's a good thing because what we've seen I mean, I mean, we have seen like this, this idea that revolutions have to stick to a strict pathway have horrific consequences for humanity. Right, Like I'm thinking of the Gulag, you know, like the thinking of the strict ideology which allowed the Soviet Union to become this place where where you created, like you know, the things that all were were about in nineteen eighty four. Right, it is better that a revolutionarized on what the people want as they continue to move through it, rather than saying we will tell the people what they need and we'll be the one steering the ship here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that will model is not going to get us all to this NOP so. Honestly, my observation of the sur political shifts of this year has re exposed the flaws of traditional politics and parties, how they've largely sued as gatekeepers to suppress, to absorb and blunt the energy is the massive and show the potential of spontaneous uprisings. But I think this year also show that we cannot keep rising up again and again and again and again, you know, feeding bodies to the brutal police forces and prison systems. You know, for movements to matters beyond these episodes of disruption, I believe they need to develop infrastructure. You know, let's let's let's do something that lasts longer than a headline, and of course the actions that you know, I'm not denying that some of these movements are in eh and building infrastructure. It's just that those sorts of efforts are less likely to make the international use headlines. You know. But I love to see these centralized mobilizations. I just want to see them paid with something more refigurative politics that can sustain them, that can expand the zones of freedom they can tune. They will mentum into lasting change. I will say that I appreciate that these movements have and breazed tactical variety. You know that they have largely understood the need for anonymity. But I don't want them to keep fall into this trap of this sort of dissipation of energy. They get a government concession and they dissipate that there's not a long term ambition, or they're not enough steps being taken to resist infiltration and surveillance through operational security. I think that if that you know, OPSEEC is not present, it's very easy for these movements get disrupted from within. You know, platforms like Discord have already proven themselves to be ops you know, to these kinds of causes. They will willingly sell people out. But I have a lot of hope and say that tentatively, but we can stand up for something that some line can be drawn somewhere. Because even though an uprising like the one in Nepal or Morocco hasn't taken place in Trinidad yet, I mean, we've been under a state of emergency for the entire time that this new government has been in power. I will say that I often in you know, casual conversation here rumbling. So we need to do what Nepal did, you know? We need to do it, proved it. And I think that's the power, the potential of these kind of moments. Even if they don't lead to something lasting in the immediate aftermath, they still save as an inspiration. They still open up the landscape of possibilities.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what's so Commandente Marcus used to say it was like to open up a pinprick of light in the curtain of darkness exactly. Yeahs to show people what it's possible.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect expression. I actually never did that quote before. That's good one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I used to read a lot of Apia Steps. I think you had some wonderful ways of expressing things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gen Z is not going to save anyone. You know, as a generation, we're just as susceptible to flaws and resurrections as any other. There are those who are invested in welfare and anti corruption, and they are those who are invested in reactionary popularism. But the waves of uprisings I think are mostly positive. And I just hope that that that spark can light a fire and the way that we get that spark to light that fire. So we put fuel in place, fuel like networks, fuel like collectives, unions and so on. Oh when speaking of unions, I forgot to mention this. Ye, India actually had a coalition of major trade unions stagion nationwide protests and strikes this year against the new labor codes. That's cool, So shout out to them as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Yeah, especially in a state which is uh, it's not necessarily know like you will, they will cut down pretty hard on you in the ear if you stand up against the state indeed.
Speaker 3: And so to wrap the section, I think I'll say that twenty twenty five protests show a fraction of our frustration, but they also show that we can't just keep screaming into the void, you know. Yeah, the ruptures that come in twenty twenty six and beyond need to start from somewhere other than scratch, if you want to say tech crises. Now, I think as EI continued to boom in twenty twenty five, we saw a massive build out of physical infrastructure, data centers, server farms, water hungry cooling systems, and energy hungry hardware. Yeah, it's very easy to think of the Internet as a cloud, but it's a very physical thing. It demands land, water, and electricity. It strains local communities, It drains local communities of resources. The water use of data centers in particular, can eat up millions of liters of water daily, taken away from households and agricultural needs. In fact, data centers in the US now consume more than four percent of total electricity, with over half still being powered by fossil fuel.
Speaker 9: Jesus. Yeah, Like how much electricity we use in the US. Like we go hard on electric right, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so four percent is quite a jump from something that basically didn't exist ten years ago, five years ago, exactly. Yeah, And so all this scaling up of AI is pushing us much faster towards the limits of growth. You know. It feels like we are being ruled by accelerationists at times, you know. And all the while we have these tech browers pushing their text savior gospel on us, even though it's very clear that AI is just another vector of extraction, consumption, and inequality. Yeah, there's just another way for the owners of profit to gain greater control of our data and greater surveillance over our lives. What I am proud of is that people continue to speak out against it, to challenge it, to question it, to call it out wherever they see it. There are people who refuse to support you know, YouTube channels that are pushing out AI music or EI visuals or EI scripts, people who refusing to support you know, pages and profiles that have those kinds of things or companies that use those sort of that software. We have to keep that energy up, we have to keep it going, and we're asying to buildings that will increase our ability to operate outside of the AI fueled the corporate overlord Internet that many of us currently exist as pseudo safs within. Yeah, you know, there's a lot of roof open source software integital commands that are out of the hands of corporations that we can venture into. You know, tech is contested ter rain that the tech ordgarchs are currently winning. But that araine is something that we can continue to challenge into the new year.
Speaker 9: Definitely.
Speaker 3: But geopolitics in twenty thirty five was a catalogue of catastrophes from continuing was fueled by a cast of properties to straight up genocides. So in Palestini we saw this year repeated rounds of siege, bombardment and cruelty, repeated cease fire violations and the part of Israel, all enabled by America's military support and political cover. To this day, food, water and medical provisions continue to be strained as a result of Israel's genocidal ambitions. In Sudan, the fractures they have only worsened as the bloodshed famously can be seen from space. Millions have been internally displaced, the casualties are currently incalculable, and the fighting between the Sudanese armed forces and the rapid support forces rages on, all supported by regional powers including Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, conflicting armed groups supported by the government of the DRC and the neighboring Rwanda, respectively, have continued attacking communities and the infrastructure, inflicting mass rapes, and engaging in other war crimes, all while funded by mining operations in one of the most resource rich regions in the world. In Yemen, the violence continues for tens of millions as the saudil That coalition, the UAE and Western powers continues to supply arms, logistics and diplomatic cover for the displacement, collapse, and brutality inflicted upon the civilians of the country. In Ukraine, the war with Russia continues to consume resources and lives. In the Caribbean Sea, the US ramped up its violence as it targets and bombs boats and international waters that it alleges are carrying drugs, and appears some gear enough for some kind of operation against Venezuela and Myanmar. Resistant groups continue to fight against the military junta, which continues to receive economic and political cover from neighboring China. Now this isn't exhaustive, so because I know if I missed any of the major stories from this year, there's so many.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's so sad to think about this new drone war that we're starting in Venezuela, right, and we will probably start another one in this at hell soon. You know, it's very easy for those things to seem tangential to our lives. I have experienced what it's like to be in a place where drones are killing people every day. What that does to you, Just like not knowing who's going to get killed tonight, right, woul't be you very unlikely might be might be someone you saw today, might be someone you've ever met. Dozens of people get killed, but thousands of people have to live in with this sense of fear and maybe after a while you get used to it. I don't know, but I don't think we realize like potential of the human joy even though it's not like in this case, not like a ground war, right, like for many people don't see it as a war. The terrible trauma that that causes, not just to the people who are killed in their families, but to so many other people who have to live with the knowledge that like they could be killed in the world wouldn't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that the mental torment and trauma even if you survive, Yeah, something like Palestine or something like Sudan, Yeah, that's going to stay with you for the rest of your life. I don't reverberate in future generations, even generations that they not experience the genocide directly, do not experience the war directly, they're still going to feel that in the every ones in the way that you know, the generations of that experience that interact with them in the stories that they tell.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's yeah, that trauma lives for a long time, right, and trauma creates sometimes a cycle of violence, right, Like it's it's not a good thing. Yeah, But the idea of drone warfare is the idea of that these like clean surgical strikes. That's not how war works, that's not how killing works, that's not how explosive warheads work.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I remember in Rajare sat down with a family who had lost their son who had just turned fourteen, and like thinking of the waves of repercussion from that one bomb, and hundreds of bombs fell that year, you know, And that was just in Syria. Thousands of these drone bombs fell all around the world, and for the most part, people didn't remark on it and didn't care. But that's happening more now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's very very easy to zoom out and just think of the pures statistics, the pure numbers, because when you actually zoom in and even an individual incident that is an entire lifetime affected, multiple lifetimes affected by even one building being leveled or one bullet being fired.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I think there's a reason we don't put on war like that, right, Like I try to when I write my stuff, because like, everyone's life is the most valuable thing they have, and every death of the tragedy it's hard on the reporter, like, it's not sustainable. Fox you up and be people wouldn't like wars if we get like you see it to an extent in the way that the European nations talked about World War One, right like, to get a significant number of upper class British people to be opposed to the concept of warfare. It's quite a remarkable in dev right like that those are people who have gone to schools whose sole purpose was to raise them as military officers for empire from the age of five. Yeah, but we saw it after World War One, because the war wasn't abstract, right, it was close by. The people dying weren't a different class or race. They were everyone, and especially young upper class men who became officers, right like. But somehow along the way since then, we've lost that and we've we've convinced ourselves that this is something that like, it'sn't a human tragedy, even if it doesn't involve us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting you mentioned in World War One in particular, because I actually sat down to finally watch or quiet in the Western Front. Oh yeah, last night I watched like the first five minutes and I was like, I don't know if I could watch this right now, And we're going to watch something else. Yeah, that's it. And that's a movie, you know, it's not even the real thing. It's a fictional depiction of the occurrence. And I felt like I was there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I don't like watching those films. I don't watch those films. Gives me bad memories, dreams. But yeah, like I can't understand how we have this ability to we have fucking VR now, right, like surgeons can practice operations in VR. But like in a world where we can have so many experiences, experienced things that we would never experience otherwise, we have inflicted a genocide through starvation on the people of Palestine. Like in a world where we can see and know more about other people's lives than ever, we've done this thing. Like I don't want to harp on the fact that, like It'srael, it's built on the idea of never again, and here they are doing it again, right, But like it's just so sad that like we're in this world where we can know and share more things and yet it's resulted in somehow are still not seeing our common humanity. I mean more people have I guess. Also, Like one thing that has happened this year, in the last two year, is that like when I came here, I would never have believed that you would get thousands of American people out to call for the basic human rights of Palestinian people like it did. It wasn't a thing that American people were aware of. So like that is something there of the last two years, think we have seen solidarity, some of.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, there has been a shift.
Speaker 9: Yeah, some of that solidarity I think has been misguided.
Speaker 3: But I think some of the I guess anti Israel shift has come less from a concern for Palestinians and more so for the sort of you know, we don't want our tax cart dollars they spent, they want it's spent on us. Or it's more of an internally minded sort of America first ideology.
Speaker 9: Yep, and they're straight up anti Semitic bigotry as well.
Speaker 3: But there has been that solidarity shift as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like there has been that, like a global solidarity and like even as a millennial, right, like from the age of thirteen right when I was a kid, when nine to eleven happened, and even I guess the First War in the Persian Gulf. The media project of most of the nations in which I've lived has been to demonize Muslim people, people specifically living in the Middle East, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's more of an a racialized tree than a particularly religious milia tree. I mean, it does take that religious courting, and there are religion specific elements to the bigatory, but it does tend to be more racialized that yeah, because I already know that some people will be like, oh, well, I just don't like Islam as because of its authoritarian and inclinations where the case. Maybe, but it's a bit more than just religious beast bigotry.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's not just a philosophical disagreement, right, Like it took on, like you say, this racial character and so like to see people noting their common humanity, Like I was just talked to someone about this the other day. Be familiar with miss Rachel. Yeah, yeah, Like it is inconceivable. It would have been inconceivable when I was in high school that an American children's entertainer would be like, well, I guess you had the Dixie Chicks, But it's not the same, right, it would be like continually not to take away from what they did. I think they were very brave actually, but you know, to be able to stand up for the lives of young children in Palestine so consistently, Yeah, so vaciferously for so long like that, that's very hot. That gives me, you know, a great sense of hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not really. I think it's an indication of just how much there has been a shift, and of course she has been bullied and targeted relentlessly since, but yeah, you know, it does indicate that people are willing to face that kind of bullying and these that kind of attack that I suppose segment of empire for the sake of stand off. What's right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yes, I guess I think it's so it's impressive, right that, like, yeah, people have bullied and attacked her, but like, also she has been so brave and so consistent and not just miss Rachel. To be clear, there are many many other people who've done this and has been able to continue to do that because so many people have been like, no, these are just children, Why the fuck you? Why are you arguing that it's wrong to say we shouldn't kill children. What the fuck is wrong with you? Yet a lot of people showed up against the war in Iraq too, But like, it's good to see that that media project has not succeeded, because it's been two decades in my life that it has been trying to succeed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that we've been seeing so very familiar dynamics across the jubiscal crises that I've a sort of mentioned there. We have this external patronage of global powers and regional powers that seemed to be sustaining these fights that were in lives over years, because if they wouldn't get in that constant flow of money for weapons and weapons support and military support, these wars will not be able to last as long as they have, you know. But it's these outside actors in Sudan and in Palestine that are supporting the fight and supporting the barrage, supporting the suffering, and not supporting the aid necessary to support people. You know, there's been a very slow and insufficient piece of humanity response due to funding gaps, access constraints, and the politicization of aid. And there are people who have managed to act directly not waiting for any official channels. In the case of the flotilla. Something else that happened this year that I found particularly admirable, but it hasn't been enough so far. It hasn't broken through quite yet, and people are still without much of the necessary aid that will sustain even their survival. We also see that even as these was a ragion in these regions, in many cases the extraction is continuing, particularly in Congo and Sudan. Yeah, I think it's very critical that we can just speak out against these wars as we get into twenty twenty six, where we see them, we document what's happening, We keep a record offline of what's going on independently, because another thing I've noticed this year is how blatantly the news media is showing its colors, you know. And that's where independent media is meant to fill the gaps, even though it may not have as many resources as main industream media, you know, so things like this podcast is Herefore, it's something that I think when the listeners can take responsibility in being part of in gathering information and archiving information, in sharing sources and direct connects so that the information gets out there and so as we wrap up this retrospective for twenty twenty five, two things in particular standout to me. One is that our system is brittle as hell, and two that people are resilient as well, and taken together, I believe it's an indication that we are indeed in a world of transition, and it's still uncertain, and it's as to how it will turn out. The future hasn't been written yet. We don't know. We do have the ability to choose what we do next. So if you look towards a new year, think about something you want to build or strengthen, whether it be a skill, a relationship, a practice, a project of some kind that conserve you and those around you going forward. That's all I have for today. All power to all the people, Happy New Year, Peace.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis. Today I'm joined by James Stout, Mia Wong and maybe Sophie Lichterman.
Speaker 5: Maybe yeah, let's send you first name.
Speaker 2: I'm always here.
Speaker 14: I just don't necessarily have anything to add, because you're all so good at your jobs.
Speaker 2: No, no, we love when Sophie has something to contribute to this show. So what should we talk about?
Speaker 8: First?
Speaker 14: Let's do some quick updates from last week. As we mentioned in the episode description, last week we recorded prior to an incident that happened in Portland where two people were shot by Border patrol or ice. Very unclear that there was not a lot of information given out and the way that the situation unfolded, the way that DHS said it that there was a targeted stop of two people and they resisted dress So of course what do they do? Just shoot into a car and those people drove away and then quickly called for help and then went to the hospital. We really don't know anything further than that. I watched many press conferences from Oregon and Portland officials, including the governor and the mayor, talking about the situation. Everybody's pretty horrified by it locally, but that's not the story we were getting from DHS. I can read the statement if you guys want, Okay, Yeah, since Robert's not here, Robert was at CS but was also following the story very closely and did some reporting on his blue sky if you want to.
Speaker 2: Go back and look at that.
Speaker 14: But the statement from DHS said at two nineteen pst. US Border Patrol agents were conducting a targeted vehicle stop in Portland. Organ the passengers of the vehicle and target is a Venezuelan illegal alien affiliated with the transnational gang trend de Agua prostitution ring and involved in a recent shooting in Portland. The vehicle drivers believed to be a member of the vicious Venezuelan gang trendy Agua. They love to just throw that out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: When agents identified themselves to the vehicle occupants, the driver weaponized his vehicle and attempted to run over the law enforcement agents. Fearing for his life and safety. An agent fire defensive shot. The driver drove off, with the passenger fleeing the scene. The situation is evolving and more information is forthcoming. That was on January eighth, at about five pm Pacific. And that's their take, that's their like go to move. The excuse for randomly shooting at a car is that they were weaponizing the vehicle towards the agent. We really don't know much further than that. Miya, do you have anything you want to add.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so I think we should make two things through one. Most of the people who were shot have survived, which is good.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yes, it's also worth noting that So the day we are recording this, on the fourteenth, there was a report released by Del Cameron and Ryan Shapiro at Wired talking specifically about how they got a bunch of intelligence documents from the Trump administration about trend Agua and to briefly summarized sory coms, I'm just gonna quote the subtitle of it because it gives a good representation of what is in the actual intelligence documents.
Speaker 2: See, that's all we need.
Speaker 15: Yeah, hundreds of records are pained by Wired shows thin intelligence on the Venezuelan Gang of the United States, describing fragmented, low level crime rather than a coordinated terrorist threat. So they can barely even find existence of this group in the United States. These two people, I am ninety nine, I would would I would stake my life on the on none of the stuff in that report about them being in this Venezuelan criminal organization being true. Almost everything that has come out of Homeland Security, as we've talked about with every other previous shooting almost everything that out of Homeland Security is a lie. So yeah, we will probably in the coming weeks figure out what actually happens, but unfortunately, right now we're relying on a combination of Portland government officials who are somewhat more reliable and Department of full Land Security, which is utterly unreliable.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do have one thing to note here as for what the local officials in Portland are saying. Portland Police Bureau Chief Bob Day started a January tenth press conference by saying, quote, recently I read the Declaration of Independence for the first time unquote, and then stated that the two victims of the shooting have quote some nexus to involvement with Trenda Agua, and then on January eleventh, Maltnama County District Attorney Nathan Vasquez was interviewed on CADU News and said that he believes Trenda Agua is active in Portland, but he could not confirm in his office has any criminal cases against the gang.
Speaker 16: The Department of Homeland Security has identified the people who were shot, saying they are affiliated with Trinda Ragua, the Venezuelan gang, and are connected to other crimes in Portland. Does your office have any cases against these individuals?
Speaker 17: You know, this is all These are all things that we're going to be looking at and going through very carefully as we evaluate the case. One to make sure that if there are other pending matters out there, that they're taken care of, but also just to make sure we get a full picture of what's going on in this situation.
Speaker 16: Do you have any knowledge of whether Trendera or Ragua is active in Portland and Moltmama County.
Speaker 17: It's certainly something that we have seen and we are we are working on with our local law enforcement.
Speaker 3: We have seen them in our area.
Speaker 17: They are one of kind of a host of different groups or individuals out there that are engaged in criminal activity, and it's something that we're working on.
Speaker 14: Just a lot of biased disinformation and misinformation. We don't actually really know what happened, but I am grateful that that those folks did not lose their lives unlike Renee Good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, And I also briefly want to mention here about Renee Good. There's been an attempt by the Department of Justice. A bunch of people at the Department Justice have resigned rather than attempt to prosecute Renee Good's wife.
Speaker 2: Six high level prosecutors have resigned in the past week.
Speaker 15: And this has been a very very standard reaction from law enforcement when they don't kill someone or when there's someone else on the scene. A few months ago, I shot a woman in Chicago. She thankfully survived, but they also charged her afterwards. So this is a very very standard practice. And they are right now trying this on Renee Goods wife after she watched her fucking wife get killed in front of her.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I know people have also been waiting for updates on It run. We have an episode that came out. It would have come out on Wednesday, two days before this comes out. You'd like to know more about what's happening in Iran. We had a really excellent talk with Gordayen, and I would suggest you go back and find that episode. And I wanted to update people on what is happening in Syria, I guess specifically northern Syria right now. So the two neighborhoods Shikmunk sud Nesa Fria, those are both neighborhoods in Aleppo right that there's sometimes characterized as Kurdish neighborhoods. But like you ZD people live there. There are various Christian people living there as well. Right, it's not one hundred percent Kurdish. I think sometimes there's a tendency among people who write about Syria to see things as ethnic modelists, and I think that is not the way to approach these things. But anyway, both of those neighborhoods have now been fully seized by the Syrian Transitional Government. Some SDF fighters were bust back to Kamishlo, which is the capital of the aa ne s somethime's going as Rosjava fighting is now moving closer to the Euphrates, right closer to the core of what people will call Roshjava. I think at a minimum the goal is probably to remove the SDF from any areas that are not majority Kurdish. So right now that they're fighting in Derhafa and they will begin fighting, or that they have already been drawn attacks in other areas as well. In a leopard Is Syrian observed. Joined Human Rights, which is a Britain based human rights organization, documented several war crimes and going to quote here, SOHR documented twenty three cases of extra judicial executions and desecration of bodies in shik Maksud and Alasafria neighborhoods in Aleppo City in the past few days. Here are further details. The bodies of fifteen members of the Internal Security Forces ASAISH, including bodies of four female members, were deliberately incinerated. A female member of the SASH forces was killed during the clashes and her body was thrown from the top of the building. The reason they've been able to document these is that they're widely broadcast on telegram. Right people are very proud of what our war crimes, the desecration of the remain. At the same time, the Islamic State carried out three simultaneous attacks on the twelfth of January, enduring several SDF personnel, and it seems that this whole debacle has put the peace process between the PKK. The PKK is a distinct entity from the SDF right, but nonetheless the PKK guess is seeing Kurdish people killed in Syria and Turkish support right. There have been some reports of Turkish drones being used or flying around there, so the KSEK if people aren't familiar, the KSEK is the organization that brings together the different political groups in kurdis Dan that broadly adhere to the political ideology or thought of abdulah Ojulan, but take different approaches to that. The KSEK released a statement saying, quote, the attacks on chikmuk Sud and a Sophia and the preparations for attacks on the east of the Euphrates also call into question the ceasefire between our movement and Turkey and the ongoing piece democratic society. That is not great, right. Yeah, you know, this is a place where people have been at war, killing and dying for more than a decade, and it's very sad to think of more killing and dying happening there. Garana, you wanted to talk a little bit about some domestic terrorism, I guess some actual domestic terrorism and us AN attack rate. Do you want to talk about that?
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 2: On Saturday, January tenth, the Beth Israel Congregation synagogue in Mississippi, and historic synagogue, the oldest in the state that was once targeted by the KKK, was set on fire in the middle of the night, damaging the interior of the building. A nineteen year old college student named Stephen Spencer Pittman has been charged with federal and state arson charges, as well as a hate crime enhancement. On Instagram, Pittman described himself as a quote unquote follower of Christ and shared a meme of the anti Semitic happy Merchant hours before the attack.
Speaker 9: Jesus Christ Jesu.
Speaker 2: The happy merchant is an anti Smenic Jewish stereotype that is often used in memes originating from the four Chen era of whoa Jack memes. You've probably seen it before. It's a crude, anti Semitic rendering of a Jewish person with his hands clasped together. Pittman has confessed to starting a fire in the building, which he described as the quote unquote Synagogue of Satan. According to an FBI affidavit and reporting from the AP states that during his first hearing, when the judge read him his rights, Pittman said, quote Jesus Christ is Lord.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: According to the FBI affi, David Pittman texted his own father during the arson, sending a photo of the synagogue with the messages there's a furnace in the back, hoodie is on, and they have the best cameras unquote. Pittman's father attempted to can Vince's son to come home and later turned him into the authorities. Pittman suffered burns to himself during this attack. He's the only person injured as a result of this incident. Big flee. I'm glad he got hurt. Pittman's phone was found in the synagogue damage from the fire, though his location was able to be tracked via the Life three sixty GPS tracking app which shows a stop at a gas station where Pittman allegedly picked up gasoline before heading onto the synagogue.
Speaker 9: Great of what a fucking idiot. But yeah, I think this is the only synagogue in the state, right, like.
Speaker 2: To the oldest synagogue in the state. I doubt this is the only synagogue in Mississippi.
Speaker 9: The largest one.
Speaker 2: That's it. Yeah, yes, yeah, it's it's like the most famous one from.
Speaker 9: The Yeah yeah, And like you said, it was attacked by the Klan before it was didn't he attack exactly the same part of the synagogue that the Klan previously burned.
Speaker 2: I don't have that in my notes.
Speaker 9: That is, it seems like that's what he was same vibes.
Speaker 2: Now, he did say that he did a lot of research on the target and that he needed a home run in communications to his father and Pittman was a baseball player in the state. There's not much more to say about this, Like this is a weirdo Instagram Christian Zoomer, who also offered like a fitness service. It's unclear how real this is or if he had like, you know, customers, but he was offering faith based fitness transformations.
Speaker 9: Es.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing, Like you have a little bit of like the Christian looks max or vibe going on with him, as well as sharing a series of anti Smitic posts made on Instagram.
Speaker 9: Yeah did you see this Deborah lipstat tweet geah No, so Deborah lipsdat right, who was previously the she like the Envoil anti Semitism, posted a twenty three on January eleventh. This is a major tragedy, but it's more than that. It's an arson attack and another step in the globalization of the Intifada.
Speaker 2: That does not seem to be the case. Yeah, it doesn't know.
Speaker 9: No, but this is like pretty uh way off base in fact, right, But yeah, I think it's still rather telling that.
Speaker 2: This is this is not like a Hamas anti imperialist Zoomer, Red Triangle and biotype guy. This is a right wing Christian nationalist college athlete, Christian Zoomer who shares antisemitic memes on Instagram. This is a pretty standard, you know, pre twenty twenty two type of like synagogue attack. Yeah, in fact, the fire was started right in front of a Tree of Life memorial plaque in the synagogue.
Speaker 7: Jesus Christ God, of course it was yeah, and we are back.
Speaker 15: So the thing I thought I was going to be talking about this week was a Supreme Court ruling on Trump's tariffs. However, the Supreme Court, contrary to the expectations of basically everyone, didn't actually release a ruling on the tariff stuff today.
Speaker 2: We have no idea when they're going to release that. However, instead of that, we got one of.
Speaker 15: The most bizarre and extraordinary statements and videos I have ever seen from someone who was even remotely affiliated with the US government. So on Sunday, Thuderal Reserve chair Jerome Powell released I don't even have a good reference for what this is. The closest thing I can think of is it's a kidnapping video, but it's more like a help I'm about to be kidnapped video in which he says, quote, the Department of Justice serve the Thorough Reserve with grand jury subpoenas threatening a criminal indictment related to my testimony before the Senate Banking Committee.
Speaker 1: Last.
Speaker 15: So, this is nominally about cost overruns effectively in renovations of the Federal Reserve. If anyone has ever paid attention to any single US government project ever, you will know that there are cost overruns on by most projects. This is just how the government works, because you come in with your little bid that's below what the actual cause is going to be, and then it costs more than that. Now this investigation is being run directly into your own power. And by the way, this statement was published on the Federal Reserves. This is like an official statement from the Federal Reserve Board.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So, he also says later in the statement, quote, the threat of criminal charges is a consequence of the Federal Reserve setting interest rates based on our best assessments of what will serve the public, rather than following the preferences of the presidents. This is about whether the Fed will be able to continue to set interest rates based on evidence and economic conditions or whether instead monetary policy will be directed by political pressures or intimidation. This is extraordinary. They got sixteen other central bank leaders from around the world, and we're talking about Norway to Indonesia to submit a letter expressing where they use the words solidarity to express the support of Powell. I can't emphasize enough. Do you know how bad it is to get central bank leaders to say the word solidarity?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Now, this is following a Trump two pattern of using the DOJ to attack their political enemies. Today the fourteenth, as we're recording, this also saw the beginning of investigation into Senator Elisa Slotkin over her participation in a video a few months ago encouraging US troops to disobey illegal orders. Mark Kelly, who was also in that video, was also targeted with a Pentagon investigation over the video.
Speaker 2: So this has become very common.
Speaker 15: However, Jerome Powell is a Trump one appointee, so this is someone who is also and this is this is this is something that worth mentioning.
Speaker 2: Powell is very popular in conservative.
Speaker 15: Circles, largely outside of a very very immediate circle of people around Trump, who want their president to be able to control the interest rate.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 15: I'm going to do a full episode about this, probably next week, but the independence of the central bank is one of the core pillars of the global reputation and stability of the US dollar. Now I'm not saying here that the central bank is good. I'm saying that this is how the entire world economic system operates, right. It is based on the central Bank operating as a series of quasi public but still technically non government entities that make independent decisions on interest rates. Now FED interest rates effectively. And I'm saying effectively here because I'm simplifying a very complicated set of economic interactions into one sentence, but they effectively set in for bank loans and the broader economy, which in turn has a massive impact on how fast or slow the economy grows. And the FED uses this as a tool to control inflation and unemployment through a basically a single macroeconomic policy lever. The FED does much much more stuff than this. I will get into this in the other episode. It has a series of unbelievably crucial functions. But what is happening here is the Trump administration attempting to directly seize control of the FED, and this is a nightmare. The actual mechanisms that work here in terms of the relationship between interest rates and the Fed's economic policy toolkit and inflation are not well understoody even by the Fed, which is something you can get if you go read the Federal Reserve documents. It's very complicated, it's all contested, but it is the Fed's job to be able to do this, and they will admit they're not incredible at its Trump administration is running this directly. The trumpdministration has absolutely no idea how any of this stuff works. Yeah, this is giving them the keys to the global economy and they are going to just start pushing buttons. This is a significant enough threat that several Republican senators and this is not just Morowski, these are just regular Republican senators have spoken out against this move and have expressed, you know, expressed that they think that drump Powell is innocent and that they will vote against any attempt to approve a Trump nominee for the head of Federal Reserve, which is also extraordinary. This is one of the largest breaks we've seen with Trump from the Republican Party so far, and the reason that there have been actual breaks from the Republican Party is that this is the rubicon for a lot of sectors of capital. Almost anything can be endured as long as the president does not have direct control over the money supply, which is what Trump controlling the Federal Reserve directs would be. Now, part of what's going on here, right is that this is an attempt to choose a new chair of the Federal Reserve Board by getting.
Speaker 1: Powell out of his job.
Speaker 15: However, so Powell's term expires in May, but that's Powell's term as the Chair of the Federal Reserve. He's still on the Board of Governors, and the Board of Governors also has to approve a new head of the Federal Reserve. So Trump needs to oust him from his position as the governor of the Federal Reserve Board, because if he doesn't do this, he doesn't have enough votes to get his appointments. The really dangerous thing here, on top of the abstract principle of you know, the president having direct control over the central banking system, the direct media threat is that his preferred candidates, who is currently one of the Federal Reserve Board governors or one of the Federal Reserve governors she's on the board is Stephan Merin, who is the guy who wants to charge other countries for holding US bonds.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I forget.
Speaker 15: This guy is a mediac, right Like, that's sorry, that is that is deeply unfair to mediacs, who are very reasonable people. This guy is I cannot emphasize enough if you put someone in charge of the Federal Reserve who literally did not understand what economics was, they would do less damage than putting Stiffevan Mirron in charge of this. This is a nightmare. This guy has no idea what he's doing at all. He is effectively a cipher for Trump administration. And this is one of the positions in the entire capitalist system where the chair of the Federal Reserve has to be someone who at least sort of knows what's going on. They can be evil, and they very often have been, but they have to sort of know what's happening. If this guy gets put in charge of the Federal Reserve, he is going to turn the US economy into a smoking crater. And that's what's at stake here with this attempt to prosecute Jerome Powell.
Speaker 2: Powell blink three times. If you need help. He is cabin s o s with his fingers. It is a very unnerving video that he posted.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just like one of those if I disappear.
Speaker 2: He looks really scared.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and I think this is going to be one of the major flashpoints here because even the tariffs don't have the potential impact for economic disruption that handing the make countries pay money the whole US bonds guy, the Federal Reserve Board chairman does so.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you will see a position from Republicans because it directly impacts their bag.
Speaker 15: Yeah, this is the most you can possibly fuck with the money by tending to take control of the entire money supply. There's a lot of fears here too, and it's sort of worth mentioning this. I've been seeing this passed around a lot. Is that there is another sort of recent example of a technically elected president assuming effectively dicatorial powers, and it's Air Towan, and Air Towan eventually took control of the central bank. And to get a sense of how that's going, the inflation rate in Turkey right now is currently thirty percent and everyone is celebrating because it's below thirty one percent, and this is the lowest the inflation rate has been in ages. It was like seventy percent when they first started this, and it was fifty percent last year, and they've gotten it down to a mere thirty percent inflation rate.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thinks Karen.
Speaker 15: Well, so this is the kind of thing that's on these people's minds because they all understand this. And this is not the Turkish Central Bank k central bank is obviously important in the world economy. This is the United States Central Bank. This is a question of the fundamental legitimacy of the dollar as the world reserve currency and of the premier currency in the world economy. So we will see what happens as this continues to unfold. But this is probably the premier economic fight of the entire Tip administration, and we will we will continue to update it as we learn more about how this is going to go.
Speaker 9: So I want to talk about something that came to my attention of the break here.
Speaker 2: I feel like we should utilize a banking segue in my opinion.
Speaker 9: Okay, fine, yeah, fine, fine, fine, talking of banks and of centralizing bank power under the state.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 9: Let's talk about an organization that once began as a member of the KPD. We're going to talk about Germany, and specifically I want to talk about an organization called Roster Hilfer red Aid. Don't really speak German, so if I've pronounced that wrong, I hope you'll understand. Why we're talking about Rotter Hilfer is that we a few months ago reported on the State Department adding various European organizations to its FTO list Foreign Terrorist Organization, right, and we wondered what this was about and what it would mean. We are now starting to see a little bit of what it would mean because Rotter Hilfer red Aid has had its bank account closed in Germany. It had accounts with two different banks, both of which had sort of broadly social or ecological missions, right. They were sort of progressive banks. I guess if such a thing can exist, because these banks are concerned with being sanctioned and effectively locked out of the United States swift system for doing business with a terrorist organization. Just to give some background on the org, I guess there's not a direct lineage from the KPD to this, but there was an organization of the same name from which it sees itself as descended, set up by the German Communist Party, which of course was dissolved by the Nazis. Today what they do is they do legal aid stuff. They appear to like send observers out to protests to kind of document state violence that they have done, some made for asylum seekers. It has grown massively, like it's doubled and they're doubled again in the last day in terms of membership right, and there have been attempts to ban it from the domestic right in Germany. I've linked to one of their after ones in the show notes of people want to read it. But it being undbanked is effectively going to be fatal for the organization, right like it can't provide legal aid, It can't provide legal support if it doesn't have a place to store its money. I mean, I guess it could just have a big box of cash, but it's going to make it very hard for the organization to take donations or to allocate that the money that it has. So this is something we might see more right certainly in Germany because Anti for aust is the organization that was sanctioned, but potentially also in other places. Talking of having no money, here are advertisements that can liberate you of some of yours.
Speaker 2: So for one of our last stories, I would like to discuss one of the bigger news stories from the end of the year, but something we did not have time to discuss in our last ed of twenty twenty five, and this is the Turtle Island Liberation Front. An episode next week will be going into even more detail, but I will go over some of the broad strokes of the Turtle Island Liberation Front alleged bombing plot. On December twelfth, the FBI arrested four people in southern California, who the government claims are members of a left wing activist group called the Turtle Island Liberation Front. The criminal complaint, signed on December thirteenth by an FBI agent working at the Joint Terrorism Task Force in La alleges that these four individuals conspired an a bombing plot planned for New Year's Eve twenty twenty five. According to the complaint, on November twenty sixth, one of the alleged TILF members I'm gonna say TILF instead of the full name from now on, named Audrey Irene Carrol, gave an eight payge handwritten document titled Operation Midnight Sun outlining the plan for the bombing to a confidential human source who works for the FBI as an informant. The criminal complaint says this of the confidential human source quote. The confidential human source is cooperating with law enforcement and is a validated and vetted source. The confidential human source has been a reliable source information since in or around August twenty twenty one. The confidential human sources cooperating for financial compensation. The confidential human source does not have any criminal history. The confidential human source provided past reliable reporting on other cases and has provided reliable reporting in this case.
Speaker 8: En quote.
Speaker 2: The plan was for teams of four on the ground participants to plant backpacks containing complex pipe bombs quote unquote or IEDs outside of buildings at five locations, targeting two US companies, and then simultaneously detonate the bombs at midnight on New Year's Eve twenty twenty five. There would be an off the ground member assisting the team remotely by listening to police scanners or be stationed in a vehicle in case a quote emergency getaway is needed on quote that's quoting from the plan, and one member of each on the ground team would create graffiti of a red triangle and one message of the team's choosing on the sidewalk closest to the building while the other three are placing the devices. This indictment is a really interesting look at the modern direct action left because it includes a whole bunch of little tidbits like block and d block. It includes the alleged co conspirators ground names like asanoch Ak, Nomad, and kickware, which are their ground names for this action. The criminal complaint states that after making the initial plan, Carol and another individual, Zachary Aaron Page, recruited additional co conspirators who participated in further planning meetups and helped procure bob making materials. On December twelfth, the four defendants traveled to a remote location in the Mohabi Desert with the alleged intent to build and test explosive devices. FBI observed from a surveillance plane and then arrested Carrol Paige, Dante Garfield, and Tina Lai before they completed assembling a functional explosive device. They have since been charged with conspiracy and possession of an unregistered destructive device.
Speaker 10: As I mentioned in my talking points on December twelfth, a group of individuals, again members of this anti government group, traveled out to the desert to test their explosive devices.
Speaker 2: They had precursor.
Speaker 10: Chemicals there and they were going to they were going to create these bombs in the desert. What they are starting to do is put their chemicals and whares and they'll compos out on the table on the table there. This footage that you're watching is from our surveillance plane. And then what happened after this is the Los Angeles FBI swat team, along with the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team moved in and arrested all four subjects without incident.
Speaker 2: Now, the Turtle Island Liberation Front appears to be a relatively new group, with a social media footprint that only was back to July twenty twenty five. The Instagram page for their LA chapter reads quote liberation through decolonialization and tribal sovereignty unquote. Their most recent post from December twelfth, the day of the arrests, is promoting a quote Palestine pop up market in Culver City. A post from November twenty eighth reads quote if they hurt you, they hurt me too. Our destinies are intertwined. Liberation for one must mean liberation for all. The empire must fall, and from within the belly of the beast, we must be the ones to dismantle it. Revolution is the only way stop quote peaceful protesting unquote, rise up, fight back. We are not outnumbered. They are organized and be ready unquote.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The FBI source met with two TILF members in late November, Carol and Page, and during this meeting, Carol gave the FBI source the handwritten bombing plot and retained three to four additional copies of this plan. And the plan identified five locations to target as marks with more blank slots on the plan which are captioned add more if enough comrades. According to the criminal complaint, these targets were quote property and facilities operated by two separate companies that are used or engaged in activities affecting interstate and foreign commerce unquote. These are Amazon distribution type facilities. They've not specifically confirmed they are Amazon facilities, but they are these sorts of like global shipping facility. One of the things I find really interesting about this criminal complaint is the way that this FBI agent describes direct action tactics and the Turtle Island Liberation Front members like security practices throughout the planning of this action. This is quoting from the criminal complaint. Quote. The plan described multiple operation security measures the co conspirator should take to conceal their identities, such as the use of a burner phone that would be disposed of after the bombings by quote submerging it in a concrete brick after destroying the sim and then disposing of the brick in a body of water.
Speaker 8: Quote.
Speaker 2: The target date of the operation, New Year's Eve was identified as an opportune time because quote fireworks will be going off at the time, so the explosions will be less likely to be noticed as immediately as any normal day.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: The plan emphasized that quote absolutely no mistakes can be made.
Speaker 7: Quote.
Speaker 2: The plans outline the use of quote unquote black block over top a layer of quote unquote casual gray block on top of normal street clothes, and noted to keep hair very tightly concealed, and to wear gloves for the purpose of avoidance of leaving behind DNA. The plan further instructed that precipins should leave their personal devices at home and make sure that devices were set up to stream a long movie during the time of the attacks as to craft an alibi or quote unquote plausible deniability by having it appear as though the actor was actively using their devices. The plan discussed pre operational surveillance of targets, identification of D block or D clothing locations, and not leaving quote anything other than IED's behind, as they could not quote risk any evidence tracing back to us unquote. The plan also noted the benefit of placing a small tebble in a shoe to alter natural gait to obfiscate their identification. Instructions on how to purchase materials to construct a pipe bomb suggested using cash only, purchasing only in small quantities toward suspicion, and splitting purchases amongst a team rather than individually unquote. This is the type of stuff I find really interesting, is this emphasis and all of these you know, op sec like operational security measures, all while working with an FBI informant from the very start of the operation and then recruiting another one during the planning stages. During a meeting on December seventh, three Turtle Island Liberation Front members at least met both with the confidential human source as well as an undercover FBI employee while trying to recruit more members to join this operation, both of whom accompanied the Turtle Island Liberation Front members as they traveled to the Mohave Desert on December twelfth to allegedly build and test out explosive devices for the direct action. There's a lot more information in the indictment, as well as some news that has happened since then, like an arrest in Louisiana also tied to Turtle Island Liberation Front, but we will discuss those in a future episode. As of now, three defendants in this case have pled not guilty and the fourth is set to be arraigned on January twenty.
Speaker 14: Are you planning on doing that next week?
Speaker 8: Here?
Speaker 2: Yes, there will be an episode next week going into more details about this group, their politics, as well as the FBI undercover and informant and their level of involvement in this action, which has spurred a lot of discourse online about this being a quoe unquote like sting operation, about this being a quote unquote syop.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I guess I'll just say very briefly, other the FBI, it's not their first time, and it's not their last time probably doing something like this, right, Like, you can look at many other cases and see FBI sort of CI is doing this kind of thing. So I think that context is important here. I just want to finish up with a migration update. First of all, DHS fractured the skull of a protester and blinded him by firing a less and lethal munition into his face at close range. It's Santa Anna this week. I've linked to an article for people who like to read more of that. Secondly, Judge Boseberg, who is the judge over seeing the case about the Alien Enemy Act, ordered the government to provide relief to Venezuelan and sent to SECOT Marco Rubio provided a statement responding that doing so would quote materially damage US foreign policy interests. Essentially, he's saying the state can't comply with the order to provide redress for wrongdoing by returning them, and it can't even give them due process right because it has since kidnapped the president of Venezuela. In related news, senators including Schmidt and Cruz have called for Boseberg's impeachment. Cruz makes these allegations. They're pretty minor, and crucially and very unusually. Both of them have been repudiated by the Administrative Office of the United States Courts, which doesn't normally do this kind of thing, right, But in both cases they've written letters kind of clarifying why Boseberg's conduct is totally normal. Both the Cruz claims related to decisions Boseburg made with which he disagrees. One pertains to a non disclosure order that he gave so that Republican senators would not be notified of subpoenas of their phone records in the fake elector investigation that was called the Arctic Frost investigation at the time that looked at attempts to overturn the twenty twenty United States election. They're also trying to impeach Judge Boardman for a separate decision in which they feel her sentence for a person who played guilty to attending to murder Justice Covenar was too light. And then just today, which is Wednesday of this week as we're recording, the State Department announced on x dot com, the Everything website, that it is pausing visa processing for seventy five countries. Quote whose migrants take welfare from the American people at unacceptable rates. The freeze will remain active until the US can ensure that new immigrants will not extract wealth from the American people. It's not clear what they are talking about. They talking about immigrant non immigrant visas both of the above. Are they talking about people who have violated the public charge rule or they just feel that any access of any benefit of state support is quote unquote extracting wealth from the American people. If you do not know what the public charge rule is, luckily to you, I made a podcast about it in November of twenty twenty four, so you can scroll all the way back more than a year and find that. I'll try and find it for you and include a link in the show notes.
Speaker 8: I think what's.
Speaker 9: Crucial here is that this will reduce dramatically the rate of which migrants access government services right, which are often very beneficial, especially when it comes to things like child nutrition, child welfare services right. Finally, the State Department also posted on x dot com, the Everything website, that it has revoked one hundred thousand visas, including eight thousand student visas, in the last year. We have no way of verifying that if you would like to email us, you could do so. Just email cool Zone Tips at proton dot me. If you want it to be encrypted, you should use a proton mail address as well.
Speaker 2: We reported the news.
Speaker 3: We reported the news.
Speaker 1: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 14: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.