Speaker 1: All right, hey there, folks, it is of course Oscars weekend. Let's continue to get you caught up. It's movie number six Hamnet on our list. We hope you took a listen to the five movies we did yesterday. We posted those on Saturday to get you caught up, and we have five more for you today. And yes, the first one we're doing today, which is number six overall that we're doing roads, is Hamnet.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this one has eight nominations this evening for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Casting, Best Screenplay, Best Costume Design, Best Production Design, and Best Original Score. This movie was so powerful, it was so emotional. This is one of the two on the list that made me cry, not just a few tears, but actually booho.
Speaker 1: Cry, and a lot of that boohooing. And yes has to do with themes. What it has to do with some of these performances will tell you. The cast here, Jesse Buckley, you've been hearing a lot about her, of course, and her performance in this movie. She, of course is nominated for Lead Actress. Paul Meskel and then Emily Watson, directed by Chloe Jao, already an Oscar winner, and this one did pretty well at the box office. Ninety six million people did show up to see it. Now, I had seen some of the previews and it didn't look like my cup of tea, and I wasn't exactly sure what it was about. Somebody had to tell me what it was about. Maybe people know now, yes.
Speaker 2: So, and I actually did a little research on this because I needed to know how much of it was true. But the synopsis is this, after losing their son Hamnett to the plague, Agnes and William Shakespeare grapple with grief in sixteenth century England. A heater, sorry, a healer, Agnes must find strength to care for her surviving children while processing her devastating loss. And so I went on to say, wait, how much of this is true? Because the idea in the movie is that, basically William Shakespeare wrote Hamlet based on the grief he felt for losing his son to the plague. And his son's name was Hamnet, which apparently during those times, is interchangeable with Hamlet. So basically it was a play dedicated to his son, to his late son, and I never knew that, so that was completely fascinating to me. Now, obviously they took creative licenses, but it's loosely based on what they believe.
Speaker 3: To have happened. All right.
Speaker 1: This one is rated PG thirteen and runs two hours and five minutes. And the audience liked it more than the critics, But the critics liked it an awful lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's true. No, and I think this is this reads Rotten Tomatoes. The critics eighty six percent, the audience ninety two percent. I will tell you this, this is a little slow in terms of its pace. And look, it's only two hours and five minutes. That actually was fairly short relative to the other Oscar nominated movies we watched. But it moves slower because it was it was painful. It was painful to watch the tragedy unfold and the pain of a mother, the pain of a father, what it does to a marriage, what it does to siblings. Look, this isn't something you want to enter into watching in already a dark mood, because this is this is a tough emotional watch.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what to expect from this movie. And it's just so weighty. It's just a heavy, agonizing movie, and it was it was just it was hard to watch for me, and this on the list, probably of all the movies, this is the one that I enjoyed watching least, one of the ones I enjoyed.
Speaker 3: Least as just a movie experience.
Speaker 1: This is not a criticism or critique of any type of movie making, but the type of movie this was was just have for me.
Speaker 2: Well, look, any time you have a movie whose central theme is getting over the loss of a child like that, I can't think of a heavier topic than that. Children dying equals really hard movie to watch almost every time.
Speaker 3: Every time.
Speaker 2: There's no almost to it unless it's a horror movie, and there that is the only way it could ever be anything other than devastating.
Speaker 1: That's why I didn't like this. I'm like, wait a minute, this isn't this is supposed to be upbeat. The kid died, we just keep it moving in a horror movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, that is not the case in this one. And I actually saw that some people actually cautioned folks who have experienced that that this would be especially hard to watch this particular movie because it is it's so raw. I think raw would be the way I would describe it. But the way it was shot, the way it was acted the way it was written, it was you were I was almost I had time traveled to the sixteen hundreds in England, like you felt like you were there, that it was so atmospheric, you just I was pulled in into the emotions of the movie. I loved it. I thought it was phenomenal.
Speaker 1: That I guess that's the beauty of the movie making. It pulls you into the emotion of the movie. And that was the problem with it for me. I got pulled into the emotion of the movie it and that's all I can say, at least about the experience of watching the movie versus I mean, it's just like anything else. You go to a horror movie, you get scared, right, there's an emotion, there's something that pops up. Maybe that's fun for you. But this is a movie that did deliver on the emotion, and it was I mean almost to a point. I said, oh my god, when is it going to be the next agonizing scene where somebody is just screaming out in agony. It happened over and over and over.
Speaker 3: This is a true story.
Speaker 2: When we were watching it, you were looking at me and you would just shake your head, like how much more can one person take like you just kept looking at me with these eyes, like, please make this movie stop. I'm I'm like so tortured right now, I can't take one more scene like this. And so I think you started laughing because it was so overwhelmingly said, look some people, and I will admit I have laughed at a funeral before. I'm not proud of it. It's actually so embarrassing. But I laughter and tears are so closely related. So in defensive view, it's just it was so sad that you started giggling.
Speaker 1: I wasn't laughing at the emotion of the movie. I wasn't laughing at what felt like the ridiculousness of another. The scenes were lying back to back to back to back of similar these screeches of pain. What it was agony these scenes.
Speaker 2: You saw her give birth not once twice, but three really times in the woods without Obviously this was a time where there was no medication and there were no doctors. But she's got this witchy atmosphere, and so she's an herbalist and so she was doing everything with earth was going, but wanted to give birth out into nature by this tree. But you can't stand birth scenes let's just be honest. You get so upset when anyone is giving birth in a movie. You had to endure that three times in this view, I can remember.
Speaker 3: I put it.
Speaker 1: I guess I've blocked it because I don't remember that they were birth scenes. Oh my goodness, gracious, it's Look, it's just heavy. It's a different movie, and it is a beautiful piece of art that might win an Oscar for Best Picture.
Speaker 3: It's something to be whole.
Speaker 1: It's frankly amazing what somebody I liked, even though he's not nominated, Right, Paul.
Speaker 3: Maskell, I don't believe I like this guy.
Speaker 1: He has as a just some kind of a charm to him. Yes that I really enjoyed him in this movie. Jesse Buckley's some phenomenon I don't quite understand yet. As far as acting goes, she is she is just different.
Speaker 2: She was unreal. Her performance alone was just phenomenal to watch.
Speaker 3: I was in awe of her.
Speaker 2: It was so natural. Again, I said raw earlier. Her performance was just raw and real. And that's so hard to do.
Speaker 1: With all that, And you guess whether or not we'd say we recommend that you watch this or skip this.
Speaker 3: Stay here, that answer is next.
Speaker 1: I continue here on Amy and DJ movie number six as we get through them all before you watch the Ceremony Tonight Hamnet two hours and five minutes.
Speaker 3: Not terrible.
Speaker 1: Their critics love it, the audience loved it, and you loved it as well.
Speaker 3: That fairness they rose.
Speaker 2: I loved it. This was one that was gutting difficult to watch, and I wouldn't have chosen to watch it if we had not set on this journey to watch all the movies. I think this one. When I saw the subject matter was about the loss of a child, I was intrigued to know that it inspired Hamlet, but I had heard it was so gutting. I don't know if I would have been brave enough to walk into it, because I just feel like, sometimes life is so hard already to invest time in watching other people's really really hard lives. And I maybe that's a cop out on my end, but sometimes I'm just after doing the news and what we do for a living and kind of live in this world of breaking news and terror and basically the worst of people. Sometimes the last thing I want to do is watch a movie that's also painful and just talking about the lowest of lows, losing a child. With all that said, I'm so glad I saw it. It was a masterpiece, So I would say watch it.
Speaker 1: It's a must it's a must see. It's a it's a tough record. You would never say, hey, look for a good movie tonight. You got any recommendation, you would say, hey, Hamnett when you check out Hamnet tonight.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't. It's just a different You don't watch it, And I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is there entertainment value in these right or is it a different type of art we're supposed to appreciate versus necessarily enjoying as some kind of movie experience.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that you, Yes, you appreciate it, and it's a window into a world. It's also it gives when you see other people's pain and you can actually feel like you're experiencing it and seeing it. It also puts your life into perspective. Sometimes I feel like when I see things like this, it reminds me to hug my children, It reminds me to say I love you. It reminds me to be appreciative of just the fact that my kids are healthy. So there are some takeaways I think from this all.
Speaker 1: So the recommendation as you hear the phone ring in the background here if you can hear that. But yes, this is one you have to see for no other reason, I would say, because Jesse Buckley is a sight to behold in this movie. She is extraordinary. So after this, up next we go into movie number seven. It'll be up on the feed in just a few minutes after this one, or right up next in the feed, so you'll be able to catch it. The numbe number seven is going to be Marty Supreme, and we have a confession to make about Marty Supreme, but that one is next. We always appreciate you, but we will be talking to you very soon.