Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg BusinessWeek inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business, finance and tech news as it happens. Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. I'm Matt Miller, filling in for Carol and Tim. They spent the week in la at Bloomberg screen Time. The event brought together celebrities, entrepreneurs, and media executives in the heart of Hollywood to discuss the future of entertainment, and today we're going to bring you some of the most influential conversations from the gathering. Coming up this hour, how Netflix stays ahead of the competition with its slate of new programming. We'll hear from the company's chief content officer. Plus how artificial intelligence plays into twenty first century entertainment. We'll speak to the co creator of South Park about using big tech on the small screen. But first, let's talk about the future of TV from one of the biggest names in the industry. NBC was founded in nineteen twenty six, making it one of the oldest entertainment broadcasters in the world. As competition increased in the media landscape, Comcast acquired NBC Universal more than a decade ago, and now the network is fresh off a successful Summer Olympics and a new deal with the NBA. So what better time to hear from Brian Roberts. He's chairman and CEO of Comcast NBC Universal and sat down with Lucas Shaw from the Bloomberg screen Time event in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: You seem to be investing more in media entertainment at a time where there's a lot of anxiety and uncertainty about it. Why does it make sense for comcasts to be in the entertainment business and what do you see that's sort of bright about the future that maybe others don't agree with.
Speaker 4: Well, I think a broad statement like that. You know, Larry Ellison just chose to get in. You're sponsored by AWS. There's you know, a complete change of who's enthusiastic and what do they bring to the party, And maybe some of those folks thought it was time to exit.
Speaker 5: We're pretty excited about the company we've got.
Speaker 4: We have in the media part of the business, you know, studios growing great. You know, we have in Peacock a strategy. I'm sure we'll get into it a little more. That is a growth business for us. And we've also selling our Hulu steak, so we actually will have you know, very little money net in streaming in terms of losses versus profits, so you know.
Speaker 5: Each company is different.
Speaker 4: Then we also have a broadband the majority of the company my dad started Comcast Cable now really a broadband connectivity.
Speaker 5: Business Wi Fi. You know, if you were to go back ten years and you say, let's design with.
Speaker 4: Your perfect knowledge of what the world looks like today, what would be a cool company would say, I'd like to connect everybody to what we're doing, whether it's in streaming or whether it's in AI, or whether it's going to be in you whatever comes next.
Speaker 5: Zoom calls working from.
Speaker 4: Home, and we have the nation's most connected broadband customers.
Speaker 5: We have a converge service with wireless.
Speaker 4: And broadband in more homes than AT and T, Verizon T Mobile combined, and a lot of that content. One hundred million people every quarter coming to watch today's show.
Speaker 5: Tonight's show SNL.
Speaker 4: Which is fabulous as always this year, And don't know how one.
Speaker 5: Michael can do it every time.
Speaker 4: But this being such an important year, what a great first two shows, and then film and television and the stories we have, and then of course sports, and I'm sure.
Speaker 5: We'll talk a little about that as well.
Speaker 4: So I think we have a pretty great company. And I'm more excited. This will be our sixtieth year.
Speaker 5: My dad founded it.
Speaker 4: This will be and last year was the most profitable year and the best year in company's history. And you know we're about to do earnings. Think we're going to have a great year this year by all the analyst accounts and maybe even the best year in the company's history are right there.
Speaker 5: And so why would you not be excited?
Speaker 6: You brought up Peacock.
Speaker 3: I'm curious how long until Peacock is really a profitable and sustainable business on its own.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, we don't look at as on its own, so I'm not doing a duct your question completely, But that's not how we're running the business. We're running it as part of the media business. So take the Olympics. Eighty seven percent of the viewing was on NBC or one of our cable channels.
Speaker 5: Thirteen percent was on.
Speaker 4: Peacock but together we presented to the consumer all those choices, every event, every athlete, every country, Mike Turico doing two prime time shows in a heroic fashion.
Speaker 6: You know, hard to get. We have the stats here.
Speaker 3: Universal had the most viewership of any company KEP viewership at any company in August because of the lie.
Speaker 4: Did it for seventeen straight days. It's so hard to keep America's viewer's attention for more than two hours, let alone seventeen days.
Speaker 5: So that was a whole company effort.
Speaker 4: And so to pick one part of the company and say, well, how's that part doing well? If your goal is to just be Netflix, that's a really important question. If your goal is to have a media company that, particularly in the United States, which is where most of our emphasis is, is to deliver sports to I think of Bloomberg didn't have a print business.
Speaker 5: But I was chatting with some friends from the Wall Street.
Speaker 4: Journal and they had to go from a quote dying print business to a growing digital business.
Speaker 5: And New York Times had to do the same.
Speaker 4: There's some people that didn't make it USA today may not quite get there. If you inquire regional papers, tough business.
Speaker 5: We think NBC we.
Speaker 4: Are going to get there, and Peacock is going to be part of how that happens. As more and more people cut the cord, more and more people will take Peacock.
Speaker 3: That's why people ask about the sustainability to Peacock. I get that it's part of this broader group, right, But your cable networks are the ones that are going in the wrong direction, right, so you need something to offset that.
Speaker 5: Peacock. We think this year will be the most.
Speaker 4: Losses we've had, even including the NBA investment that we're making. We're already improved, that's what last.
Speaker 6: They won't hurt profitability going for.
Speaker 4: Well, it might have theoretically in the short run, but in the long run, we're super excited and think that it's factored into what we need to spend and what will monetize if you go back.
Speaker 5: We had all our content on Hulu. We bought the company.
Speaker 4: That was what NBC had committed to before we own the company. Then Fox happened and Disney got control of Hulu. We worked out a amicable way to extricate, which was taking five years. We didn't want to sell our Hulu steak until the end of those five years.
Speaker 6: More than years at this point a little bit.
Speaker 4: We're gonna We're going to figure out eventually the end and we will have taken We've already taken, you know, a lot of billions of dollars out off of several hundred million dollar investment and maybe more to come, we hope. And so when that's all said, none, we got all the content onto Peacock, but we had to start at a very late date compared to other streaming codes. So our strategy was to take all the sports we had and now make them available to people who didn't buy the bundle. We're the first ones in a way to actually do that, and then later on all the episodes and all the seasons and all the all the great content that Donna's making and film created a new set of windows. Team did a super job where some of our content is for four months, all of it's on Peacock. The next ten months it goes to either Amazon or Netflix, and.
Speaker 5: Then back to Peacock.
Speaker 4: Nobody had ever done that before, So we've been kind of innovating, i think, in the changing industry and the changing landscape to work for our set assets to give us a very sustainable path to be able to say to you that our media business will be profitable, is profitable, will continue to be profitable, and I believe will grow despite the downward pressure because of the growth of Peacock.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm wondering if you are confident in Peacock on its own, not on its own, you know, within your company, but as a viable streaming service going forward, why it's been publicly reported by Bloomberg and others. You've had conversations with other companies about merging streaming services, joint ventures, that sort of thing.
Speaker 6: You know, Paramount's certainly been out there. Why have those talks if you're a big believer in Peacock.
Speaker 4: Well, there's always just because you reported a Bloomberg I mucho say it's accurate, But of course if it's Bloomberg, it must be accurate.
Speaker 3: So therefore, well you reference the Journal they also reported. I feel like, if both Bloomberg and the Journal are reporting something odds, are it's accurate?
Speaker 5: Absolutely so, and throw NBC News in there too.
Speaker 4: So in all seriousness, obviously people are going to say, here's a changing landscape, what can I do that would advance myself? So conversations are always going to happen they happen all businesses all the time. I think it's a tough thing to actually get executed because I'm a believer coming from where I started my career in cable. My first job was selling HBO door to door, one of the first jobs, and we had a lot of channels.
Speaker 5: When John Malone said we're going to go to five hundred channels, it kind of got laughed about.
Speaker 4: And then the Internet, of course went to Infinity Infinity, So the notion that we'd have ten streaming service doesn't intimidate me whatsoever. The technology for the consumer is the question can I bounce from show to show?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure hard to get from Netflix to Peacock to Apple there.
Speaker 4: If you believe that's how it's going to be, then that's an issue. I'm coming from a world that we went from three channels when my dad started to five hundred channels and we had no problem doing that and the consumer got used to it. So the question will be can we solve that? Well, we have a technology which we've licensed to Charter, We've launched the Rogers, we doew it with Sky, we do it in Australia, we do it in South Africa, where you just talk to it and say House of Cards, Sunday night football, Dodgers game, congratulations, affilies didn't.
Speaker 5: Do so well yesterday. You just go. It's just like changing channels.
Speaker 4: Now somebody will come along and say, well, can I buy one subscription and get all these services?
Speaker 5: So I'm not out of luck.
Speaker 4: Well that sounds like cable TV was, so I have a bias that I could see it all kind of being some form of consumer wants to go where the great content is. And if AMC makes a show Breaking Bad, and nobody had ever watched AMC before that, perhaps and all of a sudden they had AMC and they had Breaking Bad, that's the great community here.
Speaker 5: Makes the breakthrough.
Speaker 4: Must have programming, whether that one day is an Olympics or one day is a show that I.
Speaker 5: Never knew I wanted, and the word of mouth, and.
Speaker 4: I'm confident that Peacock can play an important role in that.
Speaker 5: And whether we do that.
Speaker 4: With others or by ourselves or in some sort of partnership, you know, those are things that right today we're pretty happy where we're at.
Speaker 5: But we'll see. We didn't bid on paramount.
Speaker 4: You know, all the press wants to have us do something I don't know that we are going to do right.
Speaker 2: That was Comcast NBC Universal Chairman and CEO Brian Roberts speaking with Bloomberg's Lucas Shaw from our screen Time event in Los Angeles this week. The Summer Olympics helped get NBC a boost this year, but it's been a challenging year for media stocks. Comcast shares are down roughly six percent on the year. Coming up next, how artificial intelligence plays into twenty first century entertainment. We'll speak with the co creator of South Park about using big tech on the small screen as straight Ahead in this special weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week, bringing you some of the best conversations from this week's screen Time event in Los Angeles. I'm Matt Miller filling in for Carol and Tim, and this is Bluebook.
Speaker 1: Everything you love about Bloomberg Radio is now inside your car. Download the Bloomberg Business app featuring our Little Car play, and then right outo free in the MLAP store or on Google Play. This is Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. I'm Matt Miller, filling in for Carolyn tim who spent the week in Los Angeles at Bloomberg screen Time. The event focused on the future of entertainment and the impact of AI on creative industries, and today we're bringing you some of our conversations from the gathering. Up next, we speak to the co creator of one of the longest running shows on television. Matt Stone helped create South Park nearly thirty years ago, and today he continues to offer his audience the same fresh, unapologetic humor he did in nineteen ninety seven. Now he focuses on keeping the show relevant while experimenting with artificial intelligence in his program. For more on the future of tech in entertainment, Matt Stone sat down with Lucas Shaw this week at Bloomberg screen Time in La Let's hear some of that conversation.
Speaker 3: Now, is there an end in sight for the show? Or have you guys just reached a point where you're like, we're just going to keep doing it. At a certain point, maybe we'll get tired of it, but for now we're.
Speaker 7: I think we're gonna No, we don't have an end insight. And actually, and I'll say honestly, it's because it's still such an awesome sandbox. Yeah. You know, we're working on a movie right now, a live action movie. When we get back to south Park, it's going to be like, oh, right, here we go, like I can't wait to see find you know, hang out with those characters again. To be cheesy about it, like we love, we love, we love doing south Park. And then I think we'll just we will last long enough to reach the singularity and pass it off to our AI.
Speaker 3: Do you ever because I believe you have a relatively friendly relationship with the Simpsons people, right.
Speaker 7: I mean we don't know anybody really personally. I mean, you know, but I.
Speaker 3: Think they had you beat by about eight nine years something like that. Like do you ever yeah, yeah, these two shows that have been on forever. Do you ever think like, Okay, we gotta go on longer than Nadi.
Speaker 7: Oh that will be in the AI singularity future, whatever the hell that is. No, The Simpsons was an incredibly formative show for us. You know, we were in college watching, going to bars, watching it along with people along with them beave some buttead those were like, oh you can do this, you know before before that there was no idea that you could do an adult animation.
Speaker 6: Is there a new adult animated show that you really love? Like?
Speaker 3: Have you seen anything new in the last five years I'm watching. I don't watch any television really, not like none.
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 7: I got kids, and I got work, and I don't know. I don't do anything more valid. I don't do anything. Well, Okay, you know, hang out with my friends. You're a gonna video game.
Speaker 6: Let's say you go home this weekend, right, you have what do you do to relax? I don't know.
Speaker 7: I just don't watch TV.
Speaker 6: I know that's fine, but so what do you do? Okay, what is this?
Speaker 7: Go on a hike, hang out with my kids. They're coming in town this weekend. I haven't seen them in a few weeks. I see my friends, right, I might have a drink that's allowed. Yes, I have a smoke. Also, might hang out with people. I don't know. I just am not a TV person. I really never have been personally, and now to get to like if there's anything now, I just find the whole thing bewildering. When I turn on there's no way I'm when I find I feel burned the last couple of TV shows I've gotten into, and I do feel like this has been a bual of casualty or the problem with the streaming revolution is like someone to say, you gotta watch this show. You gotta watch Mandalorian, it's so awesome. You gotta watch Battle starkal Act, you gotta watch this one show, and I'll never watch TV. And I will, and I'll go on, I'll start watching it and it's great, and I'm like, I am missing something, and then you get into that second season and there's that episode that's and I feel so betrayed. No, it's no, I don't have a rational I'm like, oh, well, you know what the economics they really tried. I don't do that. You're wasting my time. And that's when I feel like they're them. Know the business of the business that this is, the streaming revolution is created, is destorying the art of what should be being made. Even though I'm irrational about it.
Speaker 3: I'm a cures start because you're talking about season two, right, and one of them two.
Speaker 7: As soon as I feel like you're wasting my time, I feel completely betrayed because I fell in love with something and now I know you're and I just I have like a short views and that's that, well one about the computer, and then I don't watch TV for three more years. That's if anybody knows that is seriously true.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny because I feel like one of the criticisms of streaming services is they cancel shows too quickly.
Speaker 6: Shows never like there's no streaming.
Speaker 3: Show that is in I don't think in like season ten or twelve or anything like that. But so what part of the process do you feel like streaming has distorted?
Speaker 7: I don't know if it's streaming or like I just the and listen, I gotta show this on twenty seven years. So you know what am I talking about? I don't know, you know, but like it's just when I feel like someone's wasting my time and I just I feel like that that is part of the butter and bread equation that's gotten screwed up in the twenty tens from streaming of like, well let's make the bread. This my god, this, there's this much butter in the world, or that we're gonna do this much bread, and so it doesn't work, right. There's just not that much good stuff out there, right, because the technologies made it so with editing and photography and everything, everything looks glossy and it looks good, and you go, Okay, this feels good, and then they fool you, and then episode seven you realize you're wasting my time, and then again bang, and then I get really mad.
Speaker 6: Do you think that I'm curious?
Speaker 3: Do you worry that AI makes that worse because it make it even easier to make stuff?
Speaker 7: I don't know. Yeah, I mean maybe because on the other hand, there's a lot of people who are the technologies made it so that there's a lot there's a lot of cool stuff happening. There's I don't need to be a complete grouch. I'm a pretty big grouch when someone wastes my time. But if you know, there has been a lot of like great stuff, like with YouTube and people online. What am I saying, I've seen the tools, the tools to make films are so much different than when Trey and I started. That's cool. It's cool that people can make stuff.
Speaker 3: Like how much does the well, this is maybe going in the other direction what you're just saying, like how much does the average episode of South Park cost now versus when you started?
Speaker 7: Oh, the gazillion times more because Trey and I make so much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I mean you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Like we were living on couches and you know we're literally crashing on our friend's couch when we first started making the show, right, you know, now it's quite a bit more. Yes, good tray out of bed.
Speaker 3: Is you know, it's not going to get out of bed for like you know, Well, the savviest deal you ever did was you got fifty per cent of your digital rights.
Speaker 7: That yeah, yeah, no, that was a good That was a good idea and uh so that turned out to be a good idea.
Speaker 3: The company where you've been home for the I mean since the sound of the part of South Parke's Paramount obviously had a rather bumpy year. What were you guys thinking during the sale process? Are you like reading the stories that my colleagues and up peers and I are writing that are you talking to people like what now?
Speaker 6: Of course?
Speaker 7: I mean yeah, I mean we uh you know what happened between those digital rights and between when we went and did Book a Mormon with our friend Bobby Lopez and just the way Broadway works, is we between that and then having enough money and you know, having a little bit of savvy, we've we've just we've we've moved into we're owners now. We're not for higher you know what I mean. We went over that. We we we got above that, look above those clouds, you know what I mean. So we really, in a way were fortified to be okay with whoever is going to buy a parent. If someone's gonna buy Paramount and slice it up way someone's a buy Paramount, we'll buy south Park back from him. Like we're ready to do whatever that said, I'm pretty I'm pretty excited about the David Elison.
Speaker 6: And why is that?
Speaker 7: You know, I mean just we've we've met a couple of times. I mean, this is again, this is just comes from like I think.
Speaker 6: Did you meet before this or as a result.
Speaker 7: Of we met once or twice before and then we've met once or twice since the whole thing, and uh, you know the grouch and like, you know, he seems like someone who.
Speaker 3: The kid of a tech billionaire does feel like someone you would make fun of on the show.
Speaker 7: I have to say, not not this one, yeah.
Speaker 6: But.
Speaker 7: No, but he seemed listen, he seems like a guy who genuinely is. He's not in He's not and we're we've lived at a Paramount and I actually like the the current people who work at Paramount we work with, I really like. But it's been a bumpy ride through the pant Well, you've had the Philip them on, a Phil Dowlmon. We got the Phil Dowmon era era where this quarter to quarter and just milk thing for what it is every quarter. I don't think that's what David wants to do. He seems like a guy who's the person who's dedicated and the team's dedicated to a long term vision and that's what you have to do. These like these projects just take a long time. And the quantity or quality sorry quality over quantity that I think he really believes in will is lines up with what Trey and Iron to right. Don't do a lot. We hope that what we do is not a waste of anybody's time and if it is, okay, we tried, do you know what I mean? But we didn't deliberately go out to go, hey, like we could make a little more bread here and spread that butter out. It's really butter bread. That's all I wanted that's my that's my really clever analogy today.
Speaker 3: Sorry, so you're not gonna You're not gonna make fun of David I did have you ever done Larry Ellison on the show.
Speaker 7: No, won't be making fun of him either. He's safer now.
Speaker 3: Other than owners of Paramount, you guys are pretty much willing to make fun of anyone or anything. Is there anyone or anything you're not interested in touching?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: We didn't asked so many times, we know, and then I know we'll come up. We come up with something. Yeah, that's not that's really not where we start from.
Speaker 6: You know, you start from what would be just.
Speaker 7: Like I don't know, it's just what's it's the same, what are you right about? It's stuff that's interesting. It's like the way that we luckily like that's what I'm saying. We have a sandbox and it's so fun to whether it's the news or something happens in our life, we get to go plan our sandbox. That's how it starts, you know, right like making like doing a show about ozempic. Like we didn't really make fun of ozempic. We didn't make fun you know what I mean? We just found all these different angles to come at it and talk about it. You know, that's a big that's a big thing, that the big change to our world.
Speaker 3: Right, bread and butter ozempic. We have all the Hollywood bass pretty.
Speaker 7: Good, right, Yeah, maybe maybe let's Hollywood needs a little ozempic to go.
Speaker 3: Did you I'm curious, at any point during the sale process, did you guys think about trying to buy south Park back. I know I feel like there were, because you know, Viacom or Paramount they looked into selling Bet looked into selling show Time. I assume that we thought about it, like you could have just said we'll buy Comedy Central from you.
Speaker 7: We thought about it, you know, I'm not saying we thought about buying it like I'm gonna write a check. We thought about just doing a press release, like you know, some sort of like hey, we're going to make an offer, just to be kind of dicks about the whole thing.
Speaker 3: But like you and a few of the other people who bid on the company but didn't really bid on the.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, we would just been on just on South Park and we're we were We went through that scenario, but ultimately, like that's not I don't know. As I said, I'm excited about Paramount Room retaining remaining intact. I have a little you know, teeny, I have a little romanticism about Hollywood still because I'm from the before time, from when we came to Hollywood, it was still Hollywood, you know. Now it's like texall come down here and everything's disorienting, and I don't know what a studio is anymore, and what distribution is anymore. But the idea that there's a lot and the people go to work on the lot, and you know, it looks like a backlot and there's a guy in the corner he you know, smoking a cigar, and he's rich, and.
Speaker 6: That's what you want. I like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's good compared to the tech you know, compared to Northern California and tech guys. Yeah, that's I like that, you know what I mean. Like I've been lucky enough in my life to get to know kind of like tech people, and I live in New York now and a Wall Street people, you know, and Hollywood, and I'm just totally proud to be part of the Hollywood community.
Speaker 3: God, I want to replay that to twenty five year old Matt see what he Yes.
Speaker 7: I know it's no after That's what I'm saying. After living through all this stuff, like you know, like I'm not like the pro is like the most stand up place of all these industries.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean is that because you are an artist and so you feel sort of a kinship with other people in that community or do you actually.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just at this point now it's like, what am I going to do? You know, It's like not being a Lakers fan after living here for so long, like a bit of it's that a bit off. It's just like the way that you know, watching I do feel like it's it, and I do feel like not to be quite as strident. It's a two way street. Like with Northern California and Southern California, you have this mutual disrespect of what each other does.
Speaker 2: That was south Park co creator Matt Stones speaking with Bloomberg's Lucas Shaw from our screen Time event in Los Angeles this week. So far, South Park has run for twenty six seasons and compiled a list of more than three hundred episodes coming up next. How Netflix stays ahead of the competition with its slate of new programming. We'll hear from the company's chief content officer. That's straight ahead on this special edition of Bloomberg Business Week, bringing you conversations from this week's screen Time event in Los Angeles. I'm Matt Miller filling in for Carolyn Tim and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This is the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. I'm Matt Miller filling in for Carol and Tim. They spent the week in Los Angeles at Bloomberg screen Time. The event brought together celebrities, entrepreneurs, and media executives in the heart of Hollywood to discuss the future of entertainment, and today we're bringing you some of our conversations from the gathering. Up next, we speak with the person in charge of programming for the biggest streaming platform in the world, Bella Bajaria, is Chief Content Officer at Netflix. The platform is the most dominant global force in streaming. Other companies have tried to claim the mantle and so far failed. So how does Netflix stay ahead of the competition. To try and answer that question, Lucas Shaw sat down with Bellabajari at Bloomberg's screen Time event in LA this week. Let's hear what she had to say.
Speaker 3: You hosted a bunch of agents at Netflix. And I'm not going to ask what you think I'm going to ask, but you hosted a bunch of agents at Netflix a couple weeks ago to show them what you had coming and give them, I think, as you described, sort of like a.
Speaker 6: Lesson in Netflix. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was struck by this because Netflix has been around for a decade in terms of original programming. More than that, as a company, obviously it's the biggest buyer in What is it that your partners don't understand about Netflix at this point?
Speaker 8: It's a good question, but I was really hoping you were gonna ask me the other question. I'd like to set the record straight that a little bit. Look part of inviting everybody in to say, like, let's you know, talk about the product, let's have marrying Lely, our CMO, you know, talk about marketing and our social channels, and me sort of just doing the here's Netflix, here's what we do.
Speaker 9: The reason is really twofold one.
Speaker 8: Those are our partners, right, and we know if they understand our business or what we're trying to do. They also can help guide their talent and understand what Netflix is.
Speaker 9: And the reason that I wanted.
Speaker 8: To do it was I think there's still a lot of people in our business who still can sort of understand like linear network or legacy media companies, and then they try to squint and go, oh, but you do it this way, but why can't and they can only relate to sort of this old fashioned way of the business, right, that kind of model. And it was really to say, we're a pure play streamer. We're a subscription business. We only make film, TV and games. This is the business we're in. We care about consumer choice and control. We launch things all at once. Here's our huge audience. It's almost you know, it's like, let's say, you know, it's six hundred million people and we're not this or that, because I think people really want to sort of just go do make this kind of movie or this kind of show. That's a very narrow way of looking at it. We are programming for six hundred million people around the world, with lots of different tastes, lots of different cultures, lots of different languages, and it's never been done before, and so it was a little bit of a can we do Netflix one on one to just understand, this is our business. We're just in a different business and our model is different. And so it was more that here's a peek behind the curtain. We're partners with you, and we want to make sure that we share this information and kind of set the table of what we're trying to do and our aspiration to make amazing filming and TV all around the world, and why we do it this way.
Speaker 6: Okay, you can talk about the thing you wanted to talk about a few I don't want.
Speaker 8: To talk about it, but you all want to talk about it, so I'm going to talk about it.
Speaker 3: What Bella's referencing is there's been this belief or you have started to adjust the way that you pay talent on certain movies, and there is a movement across Hollywood right now, I would say, among the streaming services to reevaluate how they pay talent, because it used to be you'd buy all the rights up front and there wouldn't really be back end.
Speaker 6: Maybe you get a bonus if you know, you get.
Speaker 3: Nominated for an award something fancy like that, but not traditional ownership back end. A lot of people think that you're going there in television and you don't want to go there?
Speaker 6: Is that? Am I?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so okay, let's do okay, we're going to back up for a second. So I get that the press really wants to write about the story, right and everybody wants there to be a story there. I understand that is clearly evidenced by what's been written, including total fabrications about meetings that were about it, which is.
Speaker 9: Just not true.
Speaker 8: And we like our model, and we like our model in film and TV and on the film site, even which a lot has been written about.
Speaker 9: We are not changing our model.
Speaker 8: Our model works great for talent, or it works great for filmmakers, it's work well for us.
Speaker 9: We like the model, it's worked for.
Speaker 8: A long time, so we are not changing our compensation model. There have been a few bespoke deals on a couple of movies the talent that some talent was interested in the opportunity of, like we'll take some risks, we're going to share a more upside, and they were interested in that.
Speaker 9: But just inside the record trait, I can count those.
Speaker 8: I can't even say handful because I can count them on a hand.
Speaker 9: But I can actually count them on two fingers.
Speaker 8: So it's very tiny thing that has blown up to this story of we're changing our business.
Speaker 9: Well, we're not in TV. We have not done one of those deals, So that's just not true.
Speaker 3: Don't you think that some of that has to do with the fact that Netflix says we're not going to do X and then they eventually do it. Right, there's like a something you know you aren't going to do advertising, then you do all these that you are going to do password, you are allowed passior of sharing, then you don't, and so people assume that this is a sign and that's another one of those where you're saying no.
Speaker 8: But so I think what's interesting about that is, oh, you said you went into advertisy, you know you're doing what I was benfascinating about that. Isn't that amazing that we actually would say something. We learn, the business evolves, the business grow, we understand the business, and we change. We don't say rigid and the we said this publicly, so we're not going to go back on something I love by the way that I mean read was here doing that time. But as a company, we'd say oh, we thought we weren't going to do this, and now the businesses evolved, we understand more. Later's all of this change, and then we're willing to change. We're willing to pivot and grow and evolve and innovate instead of saying this has always always been done and we can never change it, or we've said it publicly, so won't do it. So what I love actually about the company is that we will sort of change and we will innovate, and we will say those things and we will sort of just go, Okay, maybe we're wrong then or the business that was the right decision then, and now this is the right decision now. I think that's like an amazing thing. That's what makes a very dynamic company, you know, to do Let's make local language filming TV all around the world has never been done before.
Speaker 9: We sort of did it.
Speaker 8: So I actually love that part that we will publicly go Okay, we've learned more of.
Speaker 9: The business change, so we're gonna change.
Speaker 8: Maybe that's the reason everybody wants to write press stories that are not accurate. Maybe I mean, I mean, you tell me, maybe that's why everybody.
Speaker 9: Wants to talk about it.
Speaker 8: But I'm just saying, just so everybody is clear, there's been one title. Really maybe to to is not even official. Actually we've ever done. And if you look at all the movies of Dan, Linda's Greenlit, which is quite a bit has been happened.
Speaker 9: So I just think there's there's no story there.
Speaker 8: And I know it's such a bummer for some of your friends and colleagues because they want to write about it.
Speaker 6: I'm curious, Okay, I'm sorry what you brought.
Speaker 3: Up, Dan and movies, which I feel like has gotten a lot of attention this year. You come from the world of TV. For eighty million dollars, you can make eight episodes of a TV show, you can make a movie. I feel like for Netflix, a TV show is generally more economical than the movie. Why are you guys still in the movie business? Like what it's the value that Netflix gets from original movies.
Speaker 8: Oh, I think that's too narrow a way to look at it, because it's not. Also, it's not about like economical. It's members all around the world love movies and love TV shows, and love nonfiction and love docs right, and and love some of you know these lot of events we do, so we are pleasing and making all of those things with.
Speaker 9: A great variety of what we do.
Speaker 8: And people love movies. We love movies, and people love movies, and so I don't think I think looking at like cost in that.
Speaker 9: Way is sort of the wrong way to look at the business.
Speaker 8: I really look at it as we know people love movies, and so we should make lots of movies. And Dan's which I am excited about, sort of Dan, you know, coming in, he's really thoughtful about the quality.
Speaker 9: He's really been thoughtful about.
Speaker 8: There's lots of different kinds of genres, right, of movies that we know audiences love, and really trying to be able to like program.
Speaker 9: For all of those.
Speaker 8: And then if you take that, and then we have you know, pay one deals and then the acquisitions where we just acquired you know, Amelie Perez and Maracalis and movies and that we're also excited about if you look at the entire slate.
Speaker 9: So I just think it's really important that.
Speaker 8: Giving audiences lots of different kinds of things that we know they love, so it wouldn't be it's not I think looking at it through cost.
Speaker 3: I only bring up cost because look, you guys have your seventeen billion dollars.
Speaker 6: You've talked about like this is a budget.
Speaker 9: He just says seventeen billion, Like it's nothing. Seventeen billions.
Speaker 3: No, but if you put one in that if something is relatively static, if you spend money on one thing, you can't spend money on another thing, right, Brian. Their budget may change, But Brian Roberts just commits two and a half billion dollars a year the NBA.
Speaker 6: Guess what.
Speaker 3: Some of that money's coming out of entertainment programming because he's not just adding two and a half billion dollars to the budget. You guys, you brought up live, you're investing in some live rights will get there. That's got to come out of somewhere, right, Yeah.
Speaker 9: And that was rid of the train of to make.
Speaker 8: But I'd say we make film and TV, right, I mean that is sort of Film is a very important part of entertainment.
Speaker 9: And so it's not like that like, oh, let's make one less one.
Speaker 8: We just know that we want great films, and we want an amazing slate of films of all different kinds, and we know there's lots of different genres and so it's just an an it's an essential part of like great programming is to have amazing films.
Speaker 6: You have a Knives Out sequel next year, right?
Speaker 3: We do you have a what the Greta Gerwig movie?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean we have started shooting at button.
Speaker 8: Knives Out is already shooting, and we have you know, we have so I mean we have Franken Seimagueramo del.
Speaker 9: Tour next year.
Speaker 3: I'm was curious on Knives Out because that one became sort of full crim of this, Like people love to ask about Netflix and movie Peters, and I feel like Ted has sort of established this is our policy. But you speak of exceptions, you give like Knives Out a big theatrical push like you did the last one.
Speaker 9: We are really committed.
Speaker 8: And again I think when we're talking about our model, which is we talked about.
Speaker 9: At the beginning of it, is that.
Speaker 8: We're a subscription business and our members love movies, and our members want to watch great movies at home in their living rooms, and so we're very committed to movies. But for us, what really we know people audiences love movies, and we know they like to watch them at home, and we do care about consumer choice and control. They want to watch what they want, when they want, how they want, and we want to give great theatrical quality movies direct to the living rooms of our members.
Speaker 9: Right, that is sort of what we're doing. That's the model. And that was a little bit about the here's here's what we do.
Speaker 8: And I know people want to just go but these other people do it this way.
Speaker 9: Why can't you do it this way? We're just in a different business.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 3: Something that you are now doing that a lot of other people do is live. You're going to start showing wrestling every week next year. This is a big deal for you. Why is a company that's so synonymous with on demand doing more live programming? And why did you want wrestling in particular?
Speaker 8: So, look what I love about just live? It was just kind of it's just kind of an expansion of programming. Right, There's certain types of things that just feel like they can be they're kind of more exciting live or you know, I'd say, look, they're Tom Brady roast.
Speaker 9: We would have done a Rigorlo's live or not live.
Speaker 8: I think making it live had a fun, unpredictable energy conversation around what that was.
Speaker 9: I'd say sort of early days of even unscripted.
Speaker 8: There's some unscripted shows that really have like this great kind of live component to it, or there's more sort of fan engagement with certain kinds of things, And so to me, live was just a different you know, it's just kind of another tool that we have of like, is this thing creatively about our live Is this a different kind of programming right we can do, which then obviously did lead to WWE.
Speaker 2: That was Netflix Chief Content Officer Bella Bajaria speaking with Bloomberg's Lucas Shaw from our screen Time event in Los Angeles this week. You're listening to a special edition of Bloomberg Business Week bringing you some of the best conversations from this week's screen Time event in Los Angeles, where we gathered celebrities and media executives to discuss the future of entertainment. Coming up next on the show, how Amazon Prime Video is targeting a growing share of the streaming pie, Plus the changing landscape of sports media and what it takes to make it in today's music industry. That's all straight ahead on this special weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week, bringing you conversations from Bloomberg's screen Time event in Los Angeles. I'm Matt Miller filling in.
Speaker 10: For Carol and Tim.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. Today's top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Business Week inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business, finance and tech news. As it happened this Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This is the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. I'm Matt Miller filling in for Carol and Tim. They spent the week in La at Bloomberg screen Time. The event brought together celebrities, entrepreneurs, and media executives in the heart of Hollywood to discuss the future of entertainment. And today we're going to bring you some of the most influential conversations from the gathering. Coming up this hour, we'll tell you about the changing landscape of sports media, plus what it takes to make it in today's music industry. But first a look at how Amazon Prime Video is targeting a growing share of the streaming pie. Mike Hopkins heads up Amazon Prime Video and Amazon MGM Studios. After a hefty dose of investment. Amazon now holds a top spot among global market streamers. Now its focuses on grabbing more hit shows, live sports content, and expanding in emerging markets. Hopkins joined Bloomberg's Carolyn Hyde at the Bloomberg screen Time event in LA to share his vision for Amazon's future streaming plans. Let's listen to that conversation.
Speaker 11: Now, you have been so busy, Mike, and I just want to go over like what twenty twenty four is meant to you.
Speaker 12: There's not much on the internet about.
Speaker 11: Someone who has the one of the biggest jobs in entertainment.
Speaker 12: You we call it humble, we called it smart.
Speaker 11: But I've been rifling through your back history and I know that you first started selling door to door ads basically, and now we're back doing ads. But before we get into ads, I want to hear about what a mega year it's been.
Speaker 13: Yeah, thank you, well, thanks for having me. It's nice to meet you in person too.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Same, Yeah, it's been a big year for us. We you know, a lot of it obviously was the groundwork was laid over the last three or four years. But you know, we started the year on the programming front with a little movie called Saltburn anyway, and that just kind of blew up the Internet and became a big hit force in January, wits we do that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was big.
Speaker 13: But then right after that we had a couple of additional movies at launch at Roadhouse was a big hit for us at the beginning of the year, and same with Idea of You, and then we had Fallout became a big global franchise for US.
Speaker 5: Boys.
Speaker 13: Season four was was amazing, And obviously we just had Lord of the Rings, Rings of Power finale last week.
Speaker 12: So it's been watching all of this yourself, oh.
Speaker 13: Every minute times. But so on the programming front, Jen Salki and her team have really started to hit a cadence of hits that we're really proud of and excited about. And what's coming in the future. I'm even more excited about.
Speaker 11: Let's dig in a little bit on the advertising side of things, and indeed sort of obviously people are coming to you for the content.
Speaker 12: What have you learned in.
Speaker 11: Those nine months it's January the twenty ninth when you first turned it on. How many of us are paying to not get at.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well we all disclose those numbers publicly. But mostly not as many as you would think. The advertising load is very light because of the way we offer this offered advertising on Prime, and so far it's been We've been happy both on the customer side because we've not seen the levels of churn or cancelations that some might have thought. On the advertiser side. You know, it's been really exciting to see the response from advertisers. We just finished our first upfront a couple months ago and we exceeded our expectations there and we're just excited to see what happens in the future here.
Speaker 12: Can you increase prices the ads?
Speaker 13: Well, we like the CPMs we got. I think we held price pretty well. I think when you put this amount of inventory into the ad market, it's going to put it. It's going to put some pressure on pricing. But we're happy with where we ended up.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 11: And what therefore about third party platforms as well.
Speaker 12: I mean we're starting to see that.
Speaker 11: When Netflix offering it to Google some of the inventory, would you go there?
Speaker 13: Well, we have our own DSP, the Amazon DSP, and our ads team is building that network out pretty aggressively. Right now, we have third party supply that Paulkotis, who runs ad sales for US. He's got obviously our stores inventory as we call it on Amazon dot Com, and a variety of media and entertainment properties as well.
Speaker 11: I know you don't disclose numbers, but Bluebug Intelligence, just to give them a little nod, they thought that two billion dollars could be your run rate for ads to twenty twenty four, could run up to five billion for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 9: Are they sort of ballpop?
Speaker 11: We'll see, Okay, okay, But then let's talk a little bit about what you offer, because I'm trying to get our head round. You offer advertising because the content is so great. But the content isn't just your own originals. It's not just movies that we've talked about, but it's also well the sports will dig into and partnerships partner channels. Yeah, why bring in other partner channels? What's in it for them?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Well, So what we've tried to become over the last four or five years is, you know, a first stop entertainment hub for consumers around the world. What I mean by that is, not only do we have the prime content that we talked about at the top, including Thursday night football, the NBA coming next year, NASCAR, but around the world we also have Champions League throughout Europe and a variety of sports as well. So we've got our prime programming, but we also offer the world's largest t vod store written by movies and TV shows in the world. And then on top of that, we have over one hundred partner streaming services that you can subscribe to right inside of our application. And what we found is consumers. You know, if you think about the number of apps and subscriptions you have, it's kind of hard to keep track of it all. You're not sure exactly where that show or a movie might be. And so what we've noticed is people realize they can subscribe to Max or Paramount Plus or Lead Pass or Crunchy Role, et cetera inside of Prime Video. We see a lot more engagement. We are able to get subscribers for those those businesses at a real attractive rate, and it's an exciting part of our business. In fact, we were we're gonn announce that we are adding Apple TV Plus to our Prime video channels propositions and then make sure.
Speaker 12: And why why Apple TV Plus?
Speaker 13: Well, they have great programming and you know we've had a good partnership with Apple on a number of fronts, but you know, our companies do a lot of business together. And I want to thank Adiq, who I know isn't here tonight, but he and his team have done a great job with this deal and we're excited to get it going.
Speaker 12: What'sn't it for Apple?
Speaker 13: What we offer channel partners is hundreds of millions of subscribers around the world that have access to their.
Speaker 12: Hundreds of millions, two hundred million.
Speaker 13: Well there's another number we don't talk a lot about. But if I easily find information about me than our number of.
Speaker 5: Subscribers on you want enough.
Speaker 13: Having this engagement around the world with Prime members accessing Prime Video is a real great platform for other partners to be able to reach them. Easy access to the subscriber base, one stop shop, easy navigation, one click subscription right in one app. And I think that's what that's what's attracting partners.
Speaker 12: How does that negotiation start? Who picked up the phone to who first?
Speaker 13: Oh gosh, we've been talking for a while. It took a while, but we're happy we're here.
Speaker 12: We wooed them? Were they easy to coax?
Speaker 13: Well? What We've really spent a lot of time doing is figuring out how do we make it easy to be a partner. You know, we we we have leadership principles at Amazon. One of them is customer obsessed.
Speaker 12: How many of them are now, Oh there's.
Speaker 13: Slob or fourteen? Yeah, and so as we look at our partners as customers, so what we're spending a lot of time on is how do we make it easy for them to onboard? How do we make it easy for them to look at our service just as it were a device? Yeah, and so we want to give them the same benefits as you would get if you were on Apple TV or a fire TV or Roku being part of our ecosystem. And I think that it's worked out pretty well.
Speaker 12: Does that help from your own background?
Speaker 11: You're someone who's done all parts of media, like old school TV. I'm still fighting the good fight, but they then go into movies and content. You've been a customer of Amazon before you've come to lead it.
Speaker 12: Does that help from your perspective?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 13: You know, I've in my career, I've been able to be a customer, a competitor, a supplier. It's sony and so I think you know, I've gotten another company pretty well all those crossing of paths.
Speaker 11: So let's talk a little bit more about the content you're offering and sports. I want to dwell in there a little bit.
Speaker 12: You were at Fox.
Speaker 11: You know what it takes to build must watch sports channels. So how do you feel about the price point for example like NBA WNBA.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, I mean we're happy with the deal we got. We you know, we obviously have analytics that there tell us is going to be a creative and very good for our customers. But what we really like about sports is that, you know, this television viewership is migrating from you know, linear television via cable, satellite, et cetera, into a streaming environment. People's tastes didn't change. They still want to watch football games and basketball games, and they want to watch movies and TV shows, and so what we're trying to build is, you know, sort of the next generation of an entertainment service and not just be solely focused on movies, television, VOD and so in addition to live sports we've got we were talking backstage about fast channels have become a big part of our service as well. We have Bloomberg on there as well. I've been watching it this week, and so you know, we're trying to be a hub of all things content for customers in one app.
Speaker 11: What about talent for things like NBA You're going to get.
Speaker 13: But we have a little time. You know, I want to be Shack's great. I love Shack. I'm a longtime Laker fan.
Speaker 11: But well, you're also not just perhaps a ball guy when it comes to NBA.
Speaker 12: I know you like MLB as well.
Speaker 11: I think you actually wanted to be a baseball.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, a long long time ago. Sure, who didn't.
Speaker 12: Well, let's talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 11: For local sports, is that something that you and I wanting to be getting more into.
Speaker 13: We've looked at local sports. You know, we have an equity position in the S network in New York. We actually offer twenty Yankees games a season on prime video to prime customers. And what's been interesting that's basically the old broadcast package that used to exist in market. What we've seen every single year ratings and viewership of our Yankee games is up fifteen or twenty percent every single year. And so I think what's happening is people's muscle memory is changing. The awareness that there is life sport on streaming is changing over time and people are finding it. Thursday Night Football, for example, was up twenty five percent in its second season through three games. It's up twenty percent this season, and I think that's just going to continue and when and over time, I think live sport is going to be viewed just as often and as frequently on streaming as it is on linear TV.
Speaker 11: Looking of football NFL, will they exercise and ani opt out?
Speaker 12: Do you think how expensive is that kind of get early?
Speaker 13: Oh? In terms of the deals, we'll see, you know, we still have a few years to see what happens. I think the marketplace, the media and landscape is changing so dramatically. It's a lot's going to happen between now.
Speaker 12: And how is it changing dramatically?
Speaker 13: Well, I think, you know, I've seen a lot of people in the room. I've written a lot about this. But obviously, the cable and satellite industry has a cable channel business has eroded over the last actually almost since the second I left. I had great timing to leave that part of the business. But what you've seen is this multi channel big bundle, you know, decline every year for the last decade or so, and I think that's put a lot of pressure on the on the legacy media companies, and so that's the catalyst. I think of all of this change that we're seeing as.
Speaker 12: You there's Disney, there's Netflix. What happens to the rest?
Speaker 11: Do they all end up partner channels on you?
Speaker 13: I think everyone's got different strategies there. I mean, they're you know, most of the companies have incredible IP. You know, you look around the media landscape and there's tremendous IP. Everyone's got movie studios and television studios. I think folks who are just gonna have to pick their strategy and go aggressively after it understanding that the legacy cable business is on a decline and it's probably not going back the other way. So how do you deal with that? I think is a question for each of those companies.
Speaker 2: That was Mike Hopkins, head of Amazon Prime Video and Amazon MGM Studios. When it comes to Amazon, stock shares have seen solid gains, with a year to date increase of roughly twenty three percent, slightly outpacing the twenty one percent gain for the S and P five hundred Coming up Next, we hear about what it takes to make it in today's music industry from the man with ties to the success of Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber. That's straight out I had on this special weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week, bringing you some of the best conversations from this week's screen Time event in Los Angeles. I'm Matt Miller filling in for Carolyn Tim and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. I'm Matt Miller, filling in for Carol and Tim, who spent the week in Los Angeles at Bloomberg screen Time. The event focused on the future of entertainment and the impact of AI on creative industries, and today we're bringing you some of our conversations from the gathering up. Next, we hear about the future of the music industry from a person with close ties to Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber. Scooter Braun is known for managing high profile artists and launching successful music. Now he's thinking about the next wave of music in his role as CEO of the American division of Hibe Corporation. Scooter Braun sat down with Lucas Shaw this week at Bloomberg screen Time in La. Let's hear some of that conversation.
Speaker 3: Now, A lot have happened with you in the last couple of years, and that's sort of where I want to start.
Speaker 6: Really, Yeah, just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Because there's been a lot of coverage of Okay, all your clients are firing you. Yeah, we won't touch your personal life, but I know a bunch just happened there. You sold your company. Yeah, you haven't said a ton about it, and I'm curious, what is your take? Did a bunch of your clients fire you in the span of a couple of months, or what happened with.
Speaker 10: Mariorty three fired me in the exact same day? Yeah?
Speaker 14: No, what happened with Arianna with Justin with Listen? I actually a year after it happened. I for contractual reasons, I wasn't allowed to say certain things, but I wrote something called twenty three Years I posted on social media. It was my own words, and I kind of explained why I made a decision to not manage musicians after twenty three years, and that had actually happened about.
Speaker 10: A year earlier.
Speaker 14: But you know, we're running a big company and there's things that we needed to handle, so I didn't feel like it was the right time.
Speaker 6: And simply.
Speaker 14: Twenty three years of my life, from nineteen years old to into my forties, I only knew being a music manager. Twenty four to seven, seven days a week, every vacation, every holiday, I was on call, and I wasn't on call to one big artist. I was on call to a lot of big artists. And for a large part of my life, I really loved it. But then I had three kids and I went through a divorce, and anyone who's been through a divorce with children knows.
Speaker 10: That is not an easy situation.
Speaker 14: And I really looked back at my life and realized that, you know, you can point fingers in a divorce and say, oh, this happened, this happened, but you play a role in it. That's why me and my ex wife are partners with these three children, and we put them first. And my role was I wasn't present. I was a manager twenty four to seven, and even though I was home, I wasn't being there The way I should, and it led to a divorce, and I realized I might have lost the marriage. I wasn't going to lose my kids, and I decided that I wanted to step away from it and focus on other things. And now I have three of the best clients in the world and that's my focus. But then, yeah, there was a lot of noise because no one actually thought you would want to step away from that.
Speaker 3: But how did you communicate that to the clients that you were working with.
Speaker 10: Well, one of them I wrote about this.
Speaker 14: One of them approached me and said, hey, I think I want to try something new, And at first I was kind of hurt because we've been through so much together. But then I realized I was already heading in this direction for the last couple of years anyway, and I think you make plans and then the universe kind of shows you what you need. And I realized it was actually a gift and it wasn't about one client, it was about all. So I started picking of the phone and having the conversations and some went well, some took a couple more conversations. But I'm grateful for all those years. I lived a very unique life doing that. I was a part of the journeys of the most successful and incredibly talented people in the world, and now I get to root from them in a different capacity.
Speaker 3: How does how does the relationship like, take someone like Beeber, you take him from nothing.
Speaker 6: You guys are do the whole ride up together? Like, how does that relationship work?
Speaker 10: Now root for each other?
Speaker 14: I mean it's you get to a point where you just say, we built this legacy alongside each other. And now he's a father, he has an opportunity to continue doing you know, the things he loves to do, and I'm going to be rooting for him for the rest of his career.
Speaker 6: So, Hi bought your company about three years ago.
Speaker 3: We had the we we had Bang here last year. A lot of people, I think thought you.
Speaker 6: Would have left by now, So did our chairman?
Speaker 3: Why have you stuck around? And I guess what are you doing now if you are not managing artists?
Speaker 10: Well, a couple of things.
Speaker 14: One when chairman Bang and I met, he's the chairman of Hive and he's a very unique individual. This is someone who was one of the biggest music producers in all of Asia and at the height of his career in Asia. He came to the United States to have meetings with A and RS and presidents of labels here to discuss his ideas, and one of these meetings they had him wait in the lobby for three hours and then told him, I'm sorry, we have another meeting and canceled on him. And instead of having an ego or getting upset, he goes, you know what, I'm going to go back home and I'm going to build this industry myself so that when I come back here, I don't need to ask for these meetings. And if you look at the groups, including BTS that he was able to create and produce and develop and continually do so, he's actually brilliant.
Speaker 10: And I had admired his work for some time.
Speaker 14: He knew about the stuff I had done, and he reached out to me and said, can we have conversations, And the first four conversations that's when the last one happened about the purchase. He said that in the East, we have conversations about what we're going to do. He goes, too many times when I talk to people in the West, they talk about just the transaction, just the deal, not what we're going to do. He goes, all four conversations we've had. We've talked about culture, We've talked about philosophy, we've talked about meditation, we've talked about music, we've talked about family. He goes, I want to do this with you, and no matter what we find, we'll go through it together. We signed up and we did a five year deal. And the reason I'm still here because you're right, and those deals usually vest out at a certain point, and my deal was pretty much upfront. I gave my word, and I really enjoy him. I think he's a visionary and I think your words should mean more than just the deal that you do on paper. And I told him I'd be there for five years. I'm going to do that. And the exciting part is we've developed such a relationship that now we're talking about extending that and being there longer, and I'm looking.
Speaker 10: Forward to it.
Speaker 6: And is that being focused?
Speaker 3: Like are you because you're the CEO of Hype America right, how much of your time are you spending on taking big Korean acts and bringing them here or bringing them around the world, And how much of it are you spending on developing acts here that have nothing to do with Korea, it's.
Speaker 10: About fifty to fifty.
Speaker 14: And also, you know, if you look at our strategy, we purchased QC, which is, you know, the biggest independent hip hop label in the country.
Speaker 10: We had big machine from Ithaca when we brought it over. So we're gonna, you know.
Speaker 14: Go out and find other companies that make sense for us and other assets that make sense. We also launched High two point zero, which allows us to create a distribution system for independent labels because of our distribution deal with Universal, a ten year deal that puts us a unique position. And then you know, you look at Weavers, which is our large platform for fan engagement for super fans, which is the biggest in the world and the biggest in Asia. A lot of people don't realize this, but thirty percent of our revenue is actually from North America. So you know, now we've introduced Ariana Grande to that platform.
Speaker 10: We introduced kid Le Roy this week.
Speaker 14: You know, you're starting to see a lot of you know, acts from the West joining and it makes sense because you see acts from the East coming here and they're selling out arenas day one and if everyone's asking why, and it's because of that opportunity to talk directly to the fans on weavers, right.
Speaker 3: If you were starting a new company today management whatever, I know you don't want to manage anymore. Is there who is an artist out there? Like if you could just pick one and I'm going to build around you, who would you pick?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 14: I don't know because I haven't really been in that space of like, you know, finding the next one.
Speaker 3: Well, it doesn't have to be the next one. It can be a huge star now, Like who is someone now? Or you look at them and they're already a star and you feel like their earnings are over the next twenty thirty years or their potential of where they could go at their career is something that you want to be involved with.
Speaker 14: I'm gonna give you the sound by you're looking for because I just can't help myself.
Speaker 10: And the PR team is going to be like what I think.
Speaker 14: The artist that's you know, one that you should always bet on and is already a huge star and you can always bet on because they want it all the time and they do what it takes to be you know, present and relative all the time is Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: I was actually not thinking you were going to say that, but it's it's an obvious answer.
Speaker 14: But you know, I also love that what we're doing with our group Cats Eye, I love Teddy Swims, I love great voices like that. I love like Benson Moon. I saw him perform the other day and that was really impressive. Zach Brian is doing incredible stuff. So there's you know, the fun part about it is everyone you know, there's a huge opportunity coming with AI, and it's going to change the music industry the same way pro tools.
Speaker 10: Did you know pro tools came along, people said.
Speaker 14: What is this, we need live instruments, and you realize it's a tool to create more music.
Speaker 10: And I think AI is going to do the same same thing.
Speaker 6: But there's always.
Speaker 14: Going to be a need for both human emotion and human error. You know, if we want to watch the greatest chess you know players in the world. We'd watched two supercomputers play chess, but we want to watch humans play chess because we want to find that one mistake or that one thing that goes wrong. Same thing that we have with sports. You know, we remember the great moments, but we also remember the fumbles.
Speaker 10: I'm a Jets fan.
Speaker 14: I remember lots of them, but.
Speaker 6: You're probably happy that the coach is fired.
Speaker 14: No, I'm not happy until we win, and I'm gonna I've been waiting a long time.
Speaker 3: I can't let you get off the tailor hook that easy. I have to ask one question about it. There was a documentary that came out about you and her this summer. I was unfortunately interviewed for it. Did you watch it?
Speaker 14: I watched it recently, actually like put up that I watched it, and I wasn't going to watch it because I just thought it was going to be like another hit piece, and I pretty much stay quiet about this kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: And my dad.
Speaker 14: Called me and my mom and they were like, we just watched it. We think you should watch it. So I did.
Speaker 6: What did you think of it?
Speaker 10: I thought you were incredibly handsome?
Speaker 6: Is there?
Speaker 14: I think it's Look, it's five years later. I think everyone it's time to move on. And there was a lot of things that were misrepresented. I think that it's important in any kind of conflict that people actually communicate directly with each other. I think doing it out on social media and in front of the whole world is not the place. And I think when people actually take the time to stand in front of each other, have a conversation, usually find out the monster is not real and that hasn't happened, and that has not happened. But I also think that that's very relative.
Speaker 10: To the entire world right now.
Speaker 14: And I think if people take the time to have conversations with each other and speak to each other and ask each other where they really stand and understand each other's.
Speaker 10: Cultures, we'd be in a lot better place.
Speaker 14: And I just need to say this personally, because I'm wearing this right now. I think with everything we're seeing all around the world, we have a responsibility here in America to have conversations with each other. If we want peace in other places, it starts with us here because we have the actually ability to do so.
Speaker 2: That was Scooter Braun, CEO of the American division of Hibe Corporation, best known for his work with Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber. Braun spoke with Bloomberg's Lucas Shaw from our screen Time event in Los Angeles this week. Coming up next, what's ahead for the changing landscape of sports media, We'll speak with one of the biggest names in sports talk, analysis and opinions and straight ahead on this special edition of Bloomberg BusinessWeek, bringing you conversations from this week's screen Time event in Los Angeles. I'm Matt Miller killing in for Carol and Tim, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Market.
Speaker 7: You can't predict them.
Speaker 1: Let's look at yesterday's sell off on Wall Street.
Speaker 12: Pigs drivations in terms of bond markets, so when you're.
Speaker 1: Listening to us, you'll come pretty.
Speaker 6: Let's take a look at small capstocks.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg Radio the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg Radio dot Com. This is Bloomberg BusinessWeek with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This is the weekend edition of Bloomberg BusinessWeek. I'm Matt Miller filling in for Carol and Tim. They spent the week in Los Angeles at Bloomberg screen Time. The event brought together celebrities, entrepreneurs, and media executives in the heart of Hollywood to discuss the future of entertainment, and today we're bringing you conversations from the gathering. Up Next, we speak with Stephen A. Smith, one of the most influential figures in sports media, with sharp opinions and a big personality both on screen and behind the mic.
Speaker 6: Stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith is best known as the host of The Steven A. Smith Show and First Take. He got together with Lucas Shaw at Bloomberg screen Time event at LA this week to discuss the sports media l landscape. Let's hear what he had to say.
Speaker 3: When you started your career being a columnist at a national newspaper was probably the most influential job you could have in sports media. You've had talk radio, YESPN, blew up. You're now the most recognizable sports media personality.
Speaker 6: I alreay say, how do you see your.
Speaker 3: Business changing with streaming and social media and what you have to do to sort of stay on top.
Speaker 15: Well, you've got to diversify.
Speaker 16: You've got to make sure that you're paying attention to what the audience wants. You have to understand that who your audience is and.
Speaker 15: Where they are.
Speaker 16: The audience that listens to you on radio might be different than the audience is watching you and listen to you on your podcast and your YouTube show might be different than the audience is watching you at ten o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 15: On First Take.
Speaker 16: For me, personally, it's not that challenging from the standpoint that working at ESPN, there's always been.
Speaker 15: A polporia shows show. What you saw from me.
Speaker 16: On first tape might be a little bit different than what you saw for me on NBA Countdown.
Speaker 15: It might be a little bit different than when you saw for mean, when.
Speaker 16: We had Outside the Lines, might be a little bit different than when you see me on a sports center. A lot of times, also, the personality that you're working with comes into play. Somebody that's hosting the six o'clock Sports Center might be different than somebody that's hosting the eleven o'clock might be different than somebody that's hosting the overnight coming on before games, so you have a certain attitude, and then another another's show.
Speaker 15: You're coming on postgame.
Speaker 16: So it's a different attitude because you saw a different you know, you have some highlights, you saw a different level of excitement that you want to ingratiate yourself with and gravitate to. And so I've always been about the business of making sure that I was multi faster than in my presentation and my delivery, and just to make sure that I'm appealing to the audience and be a mindful and cognizant of who.
Speaker 15: Actually is out there watching at.
Speaker 16: A particular moment and time in the day or whatever. You and what you need to do and what you need to deliver because everybody's looking for something different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, where do you think that most people watch you? Now? Is it on ESPN? Is it YouTube? Is it some other social network?
Speaker 16: I would tell you I would once upon a time, I would have easily said to TESPN, And you can easily say that now because of the success of First Take. I mean, when you think about the audience, you know, at ten o'clock in the morning, when people are at work or in school or whatever, we averaging nearly a half a million viewers live over video. I personally average over two billion views a year. So I know that, And then that's just what First take. That doesn't take into account Sports Center and NBA Countdown. And then now that I've got my YouTube show, I've had it for about eighteen months now. I've got about eight hundred and seventy seven thousand subscribers this month. This month alone, I did over eighteen million views. I've had over two point two million watched hours and stuff like that. And so you're looking at those numbers and you're saying, well, that's just three days a week, and that's me talking about pop culture and entertainment with the B Diddy scandal or whatever. And you know, it's not me getting in the sports its heavily. It's not even getting in the politics as the election draws there, especially because there were times that I was talking about Trump. I was talking abou Kamala Harris. I was on the air eight nine months ago saying Joe Biden needed to step down. It just ain't there anymore, you know, I was saying that. I didn't say it enjoying lee. I said, you certainly don't want to be denigrating to president of the United States or anything like that.
Speaker 7: But I saw what I saw.
Speaker 16: And so for me talking to that audience knowing that they're not familiar. At one time they weren't familiar with that, but then those algorithms kicking you talk about it enough, all of a sudden your name comes up, you make headlines, and then they attach you to those subject matters, and then before you know it, you have an even bigger audience that you never anticipated. And so I think the exciting part for me is the answer to that question is ESPN.
Speaker 15: But it was definitively and very quickly.
Speaker 16: ESPN, you know, a year ago, and now I'm saying it's changing, right, it's changing. They still watching me on ESPN, but the audiences growing on YouTube.
Speaker 6: Does ESPN get upset if you talked about politics?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 16: No, I mean they did want upon a time, and I think that Jimmy Pittaro, the president of ESPN, he came on in twenty and eighteen and what he took over for John Skipper who had exited. He was on the record saying that we need to veer away from politics. And there was a whole bunch of my colleagues that were very upset with me for co.
Speaker 15: Signing that mandate.
Speaker 16: But I co signed it, and even all these years later, I'm here to defend the president of ESPN at that time, because we had gotten so political that we went away from giving the audience what it came to expect.
Speaker 15: You're coming to.
Speaker 16: Expect sports, and then we felt it was perfectly okay to just get in the stuff that expanded beyond sports. You had the the Colin Kaepernick protesting and kneeling. We saw the President Trump at the time hijacked the narrative and turned it into some issue involving patriotism and all of this other stuff, when it.
Speaker 15: Really wasn't about that.
Speaker 16: It was about him getting back at owners wouldn't let him be coming owner in twenty fourteen for the Buffalo Bills, and you saw all of this other stuff going on, and you know, we got away from giving the audience what the audience came to say. And I'm a businessman, and my attitude is what do the patrons want? What are their expectations? What did they come to see? And if you know what that is, and you sign your name on the dotted line committing to giving the audience that, and you owe it to them to give them that. And when Jimmy Pittaro was making the declaration that we weren't doing that to the degree that we once did, he was absolutely right. But once we got back to doing what we do, sports politics and all of that stuff in between social comment, terman and stuff and intertwined with the world of sports is inescapable. And now we get that, But six years ago or so they didn't get it like they do now.
Speaker 3: But I suppose there's a reason you're doing that on your own as opposed to on the airwaves.
Speaker 16: Well again, because I'm a businessman and I'm thinking about the business of Stephen A.
Speaker 15: Smith.
Speaker 16: I'm not thinking about Steven A. Smith the employee. I'm thinking about straight shoot of productions, straight shoot media and the kind of aspirations that I have. That doesn't mean that I want to go away, that I want to stop doing sports, that I want to stop working for the people that I work for, but they are keenly aware of the fact that I have a strong desire to expand I've done. You will see me on News Nation a week before the election night doing a town hall. You see me on CNN, you see me on Fox News. You've seen me being interviewed by political commentators and what have you I like doing that. You've seen me talking about p Diddy one minute, Will Smith, Chris Rock the next, and so on and so forth. I like, I'm one of those guys that wherever the pulse of the people are at, what is on their mind and what they're most interested in, I like to be a part of that dialogue and a part of that conversation. And so when you come to me being from come and graduating from an HBCU with sim State, struggling the way that I did to get to where I am, climbing up the charts from the New York Daily News as a high school reporter, to the Philadelphia Inquirer, working on TVC and sside of Fox Sports to ESPN.
Speaker 15: I bust my to get to where I am.
Speaker 16: And I don't want anyone telling me we're pigeonholing you in this box and we have you in this corner, and that's where you belong and that's where you'll stay. I'm not rolling like that. That's not who I am, and that's not who I'm going to be.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a good cue for I want to read you a quote your profile by GQ in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 16: Okay in twenty nineteen, I don't remember, but I'll take your word for you.
Speaker 3: Your your former colleague Max Caliban had a quote about you. Okay, Stephen A is never going to be happy. That's why he's successful. When you're on the top. When you're when you're on top, the reason you're there is because you're a chronically dissatisfied person.
Speaker 15: I think that's a bit excessive. I think that.
Speaker 16: If you know me, if you know my inner circle, my family, my friends, my loved ones.
Speaker 15: I am a very happy man. I'm living a pretty good life.
Speaker 6: Things like. You know, I'm working real hard.
Speaker 15: I work real hard because I love to work.
Speaker 16: I get that from my mama, God rest her soul. And I'm not I'm very proud of that. I'm you know, to me. You know I'm off when the job is done. You know, I believe in excellence. I believe in doing the best that I possibly can do and exhausting every means necessary to be the best that I can be. But in the same breath, don't get a twist that I know how to have a good time, and I have a good time quite often. It's just that, you know, when people work with you, there's a level of intensity that I bring to the table.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 16: Nick Saban has one of my favorite quotes, Mediocre people don't like winners, and winners don't like mediocre people. And I listen to that, and I nodded my head in affirmation, because you can work with people and I'm certainly not talking about Max Kellerman here, but you can work with people as I have in my career, and you run across people that they're fine with getting by. They're fine with punching that proverbial clock, turning it in.
Speaker 15: Making sure they did their job, and that's all they gotta do.
Speaker 16: No, there's a result at the end. You know, we're in the ratings and revenue business. Are we winning? I don't care who I'm working for. This is one of the reasons that I believe that I'm one of the greatest people to work with, because I think about my partners just as much as I think about myself. Are we winning? If I'm winning but you're losing, We're losing because we have not achieved success for the both of us. We know what the mandate is. And when you run across people that don't care about whether or not somebody else is winning, and all they're concerned about is the fact that they got theirs, they're very easy to spot, they're not difficult to locate. And when you have to work with them every day and you're committed to success, that's a very difficult proposition to partake.
Speaker 15: Of on each passing day.
Speaker 16: And I'm one of those people that I may not say much, but I want you to be uncomfortable with me.
Speaker 15: I want you to be uncomfortable around me.
Speaker 16: I want you to be around me, and you know you want to get away from me as fast as you can.
Speaker 15: If you mediocre, you satisfied with being mediocre, and you.
Speaker 16: Don't give a damn, and you don't care about the results, you don't care about winning.
Speaker 15: I want you uncomfortable.
Speaker 16: I really really do you know people like the late great Kobe Bryant, God rest his soul, you knew his mentality. Michael Jordan has been a friend of mine for years. You knew his mentality. I mean, these are people that are winners, and I believe in being a winner.
Speaker 15: I'm exhausting yourself to do it.
Speaker 6: I'm curious.
Speaker 3: You may have the comment about people who are out for themselves, and I'm going to prophecy by saying that's not what I'm implicating for you here. But you're in the middle of negotiating a really big new contract right at the same time that ESPN is firing a bunch of right you see how that might rub some people the wrong way.
Speaker 15: I could see that. I don't give it. Let me tell you. Let me answer that question.
Speaker 7: Why.
Speaker 15: That is one question. I'm not offended by the question. So I want to make sure you understand that.
Speaker 16: But that is a question and I'm not going to take from anybody.
Speaker 2: That was Stephen A. Smith speaking with Bloomberg's Lucas Shaw from our screen Time event in Los Angeles this week. If you missed any part of that or our other conversations from screen Time, you can find them all on the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube page, along with our live stream every weekday starting at seven am. That does it for this special weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. I'm Matt Miller filling in with Carol and Tim. They'll be back with you Monday live at two pm Eastern on Bloomberg Radio and Television. Stay with us. Today's top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.