Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on applecar Player, Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Henrietta trez joins us. She's a managing partner, Vida partner.
Speaker 4: She's the one that really gives us a sense of kind of what's happening on this election and on the political side, how it might affect markets here, Henriette, As David was just mentioning, he's gonna be out there in the field trying to get a sense of how this is going to play out over the next week or so. What is your sense between now and election day, Henriette, Is there anything that might move the needle.
Speaker 3: One way or the other? Or are we pretty much where we are?
Speaker 5: You know, we're seeing a lot of really robust turnout from Republicans in rural areas right now. That's the main theme of the last week of early voting. So in states like Nevada, I'm confident saying, you know, this is a very bad position for Democrats to be in the state of Nevada, which is a critical swing state, but it's not necessarily translating elsewhere yet. That's because different states have different voting patterns and in person early regulations, like the state of Pennsylvania for example. So there's a lot of shift. But this week is really an integral one to watch. You want to watch the suburban vote and the youth vote. Those demographics disproportionately start voting this week before, and it had been principally an older, white, rural voter, and a lot of that is Republicans cannibalizing their election day vote from twenty twenty. So this week should give us some new information to see whether it's going to be a scenario where Democrats continue to stay home as they did during the first week of early voting, or if they're going to start coming out, which would be disproportionately again your urban, suburban and younger voters, which is a demographic that this cycle is skewing Democratic, particularly on the suburban side, which I think is where we should really be focused.
Speaker 6: Henry and I helped me understand the metamorphosis of the Republicans as it comes to the early vote, because it was something that during the last presidential election. The one before that, Donald Trump was not an enthusiast for he was not encouraging his supporters to vote early. What has changed and sort of how does it or how could it affect what we see after election day in terms of the way in which Republicans in particular look at these votes as they're talent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it really does need to change, otherwise Democrats are going to get wiped out across the swing states. So right now what we're seeing is a material shift from twenty twenty in terms of early voting.
Speaker 7: And this is a result. The metamorphosis comes.
Speaker 5: From millions of dollars in Republican Party operation explanations or sort of explainers to voters that you should vote early in person. So Republicans are disproportionately voting early in person, whereas Democrats have an advantage in the mail in ballot. So to get really granular for you, the voters out in Nevada who are able to vote early in person are doing so in rural areas.
Speaker 7: But then you have Clark County.
Speaker 5: Where there's the disproportionate share of Democrats and ninety percent of the electorate, and they mostly vote via mail in ballot that now all in the Vatans get So there's a lot of granular changes that have happened since twenty twenty. But the rule of thumb is that Republicans now are voting in person early, where Democrats are favoring mail in balloting early, and as I mentioned this week, is when a lot of the youth vote will go and vote in person early. But there is an indication that will have less of a blue wall going into election day, but also less of a red wave on election day again because they're voting early at about double the rate Democrats are. So it is going through quite a bit of a shift and creating a lot of problems for people like me who are obviously trying to track against a very difficult copier in twenty twenty, which was a pandemic.
Speaker 4: Anyway, is any party any particular more advantage or less advantage in getting out the vote.
Speaker 5: When it comes to ground game, I think it's clear that the Democrats have a better ground game. Something like three hundred and twenty six field offices nationwide where the Trump campaign famously does not disclose its numbers. I think the Trump camp has farmed out a lot of it's get out the vote to third party campaigns. The penultimate example would be Elon Musk, you know, auctioning off a million dollars.
Speaker 7: To voters who register.
Speaker 5: That's an example of a third party campaign sort of in kind donation, whereas Democrats are doing that within the campaign structure. So in terms of field offices, I want to say they have like twelve just in the state of Florida, for example, and then tens of thousands of volunteers that have signed on since Kamala Harris joined the race.
Speaker 7: So that's the difference in the field operation.
Speaker 5: But the Democrats' job is harder now because more Republicans have voted early and you want to bank those votes, not because they're any more or less important, but you don't want to have to worry about more people on election day in terms of getting people out to vote.
Speaker 6: You bring up Elon Musk. He was in New York City yesterday for this six hour long rally Thatald Trump put on at Madison Square Garden, and he talked about what he might be able to cut if Donald Trump were to win. He were named to this new position, which I checked the name of here. This is the department of government efficiency or doge another crypto illusion there from Elon Musk. Curious what you heard from that rally so much as you listened to it. And I just think back on the conversation that we had with you last week or the week before just about this rally. It was kind of couched as if a bit of a vanity project for Donald Trump coming back to New York, which is where he'd lived and had kind of spurned him in recent years. Now we're really seeing what could be kind of damaging legacy from some of the comments that were made there at that event. Should he be worried about how they're reverberating, how those clips are kind of spreading across this country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I'm a New Yorker myself. You do not come for Puerto Rico. That's not something that I would advise. And you're seeing members from the Senators to the House members, including even the Trump campaign trying to dis some suff distance themselves from the comedian who called Puerto Rico a floating island of garbage.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's that's just not workable.
Speaker 5: Six hundred thousand Puerto Ricans in the state of Pennsylvania, you know, where were going to go right outside of Philly.
Speaker 7: That's a problem, and you can't.
Speaker 5: Really have that bad bunny then coming out and endorsing j Loo coming out and endorsing I mean, this is New York Pride in its fullest, and you have the fate of the House of Representatives riding on some swing seats in the House in New York City and in New York State in the surrounding region.
Speaker 7: So that right there is the problem.
Speaker 5: But you mentioned Elon Musk, and I think that his understanding of what can be cleaned up is sort of a canard. Members always say, you know, we couldn't trim fraud, waste, and abuse.
Speaker 7: That's been since I ever got to d C.
Speaker 5: You know, it's roughly three hundred billion dollars, and I believe last night Elon Musk said that it was two trillion dollars. So you're not even playing the same sport at this point. Now, there is not two trillion dollars to cut. That's the entire budget of the entire federal government for the entire year. So it's just not real numbers that he is referencing. And DOGE would be responsible if you want to call it that for cutting. It's just not it's you're not playing with real numbers, Henrietta.
Speaker 4: What's the call here, what's the feeling, what's the consensus about some of the down ballot voting here?
Speaker 5: At this stage, my expectation is that Republicans are going to win the United States Senate. I've been at ninety percent odds of that for the entire year, and I feel very comfortable with that. Montana, Ohio, Pennsylvania are all very disconcerting races for Democrats right now. You're going to go interview Tammy Baldwin. I know she's concerned up there as well. They're really fighting for all the turnout in general, if you want, like a whole lay of the land, state of the race. The battle looks very bad for Democrats. Republicans are outperforming. You got the urban voters who were coming excuse me, rural voters who are coming out in droves in terms that get out the vote campaign. Arizona has less read through but also looks very promising for Republicans right now. And in Pennsylvany and in North Carolina it also looks pretty good for Republicans right now. So Democrats have to crush this next week of early voting in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and then see how souls to the polls did.
Speaker 7: In Georgia yesterday.
Speaker 5: I haven't had a chance to look at that data, but you want to see what the voter turnout is in suburban areas in all of those states. But Democrats are have an incumbency problem of getting all those all those voters out now that Republicans can be a little bit RESTful about because they've turned out such so many members and droves over the last couple weeks of early voting and it's disproportionately looking very good for that in states like Nevada.
Speaker 4: Henrietta, thanks so much for the latest there. Henrietta Trece, managing partner in Veda Partner. She is all over this election news and analysis from the presidential election all the way down to the local races in the House and sent We appreciate getting some of her time.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am. Easter Listen on Apple car Play and Android Auto with a Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Eight days to the election.
Speaker 4: I guess here from the perspective of Bloomberg, A lot of the discussion is, you know what the economic policies of either candidate might mean for this domestic.
Speaker 3: Economy and the global economy.
Speaker 4: We pose that to Hugh Johnson, Chairman, Hugh Johnson Economics.
Speaker 3: Hugh, thanks so much for joining us here.
Speaker 4: What are you telling your clients here eight days out to the election about?
Speaker 3: What is an election? It's probably too close to call.
Speaker 4: Here, but how should they be thinking about it?
Speaker 3: What are you telling your clients?
Speaker 8: Well, it's really complex and obviously very difficult to talk about because it's very difficult to understand really what it comes down to. First of all, people should be or should start to start thinking about what's going to happen after the election, regardless of who it's elected. Now, I know the projection polls are suggesting that maybe Trump has a slight edge, So part of what we're talking about is what we might see if Trump is elected. But quite frankly, it's not going to be much different. It's a close call on the election. We all kind of know that we can't predict who's going to win, So you've got to think about both when it comes to economic policy, and it's going to be very important in my judgment, when we get into the next administration. It really comes down to taxes and trade policy or terroriffs. And when it comes to taxes, the number one focus of I think both and I think of all of us should be on really tax policy. And really what we're talking about is trying to get an extension of the two thousand and seventeen tax reductions. Reductions in the marginal rate, increase in standard deductions, higher exemptions for get taxes as well as state taxes, but basically trying to get an extension of the twenty seventeen tax reductions which sunset or expire at the end of two thousand and twenty five. And what we've learned when in twenty eighteen and nineteen when we had the initial passage of those twenty seventeen reductions is, first of all, you're going to obviously see, and this is really predictable, a decline in corporate income tax revenues at the federal level, and as you might guess, meaningful increases and deficits, meaningful increases in the US debt. If you look at the Congressional Budget Office they'll tell you over ten years if we get if we pass the twenty seventeen tax reductions, you'll get about a three through trillion dollars increase in the federal yeah deficits, and about four hundred and sixty seven billion dollar increase in interest payments by the federal government. We got to get that money from somewhere, and that's when we have a collision between tax policy, the increase in deficits, and then trade policy tariffs. When you start to get increases in tariffs, we should talk about that.
Speaker 6: Well, let's talk a bit about it. And you know, I've been noticing, as I'm sure you have, how little conversation there has been about the size of deficits and sort of what this might mean. There aren't many fiscal hawks left in Washington these days, it seems like. But you bring up this kind of convergence of yes, the potential continuation of those Trump tax cuts and these tariffs policies. We heard the former president last night here in New York in Madison Square Garden making the cases he has before species as it might be that you know, you could do away with taxes and just have tariffs pay for everything. The numbers here tell a different story.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they do. The most important thing is if you do get First of all, they're very wedded to reducing taxes, are basically extending the twenty seventeen tax policies tax reductions, So that's very important. Now the question is, Okay, how are you going to pay for The way you pay for them is the way we've always paid for them. A lot of it comes from households, but a significant portion of what we pay for as far as the deficits concerned, is from foreign investors. Now, if you do have increased taxes or tariffs, you know roughly ten to twenty percent universal baseline tax increases. You've heard about sixty percent on imports from China, You've heard about specific taxes on things like automobiles from Mexico, one hundred percent increases in tariffs. That's not going to endear those folks that are getting those countries that are getting increased taxes or increased tariffs. That's not going to endear them to find financing our federal deficits. So it's going to get a lot more difficult to finance those deficits as we move through the next ten years. Very difficult. What does that mean? That probably means you're going to have to offer higher interest rates to get that done, and higher interest rates is likely to have some weight on the outcome for the economy. And I would add, and I hesitate to add this, if you look back at the Great Depression of nineteen twenty nine to nineteen thirty nine, one of the principal reasons that we had that depression was because we had such significant terraces, remember the Smooth Holly terrace, which led the US economy, the world economy quite frankly into a depression. So the point being very simple, if you reduce taxes, you get a big deficit, you get a big debt has to be financed. A lot of it gets financed by foreign investment or capital flows, and they're not going to be happy about it if we're imposing At the same time, we're imposing significant tariffs on them. So this is what I'm just simply saying, is that when we move into the next administration, either one, when we move into the next administration, the risks are going to get a little bit higher, and they have to be watched very carefully. Things are good now, but we've got to watch them very carefully as we move into the next administration. I hope that's clear. This is not an easy subject to understand.
Speaker 4: QUE What is your view of the current economic situation here in the US. It seems like GDP, you know, still pretty solid, inflation coming down, most people who want a job have jobs, their wages are growing. What's your view of this US economy right now?
Speaker 8: It's about It's about as good as you could possibly get. Read the Economist magazine and they'll tell you the same thing on the recent issue. It's very good. You're absolutely right. GDP is solid, it's slowing, Employment is slowing, the economy is slowing, Personal disposable income slowing, personal consumption slowing, but very solid. You're likely to get lower numbers after the third quarter numbers. Third quarter b around three percent, but then we'll be looking at one and a half to two percent fourth quarter, first quarter, second quarter of twenty twenty five. That's soft landing, and inflation will be coming down. The Federal Reserve will be reducing short term interest rates. Long term interest rates should be coming down under those conditions, and stock prices should be doing better.
Speaker 9: Very good.
Speaker 8: That's the good news. The nots of good news, at least in my gentleman judgment. Everybody sees this differently. Is we're a little bit high or pricey or overvalue. That's one problem. And I'm a little bit worried that I see such widespread optimism, which means if we got a six to eight percent correction, I would welcome it because we'd get to levels that I think attractive, would be much more attractive for investors. But basically, when you look ahead, everything you say is correct. The outlook prospects, the economy is really good, really solid soft landing. I don't dismiss the case for a hard landing, but I don't think that's a very good case.
Speaker 4: Hugh, thanks so much for joining us, as I always appreciate getting your perspective. Hugh Johnson. He's the chairman of Hugh Johnson Economics.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa, playing Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 4: Let's get the latest on the developments coming out of the Middle East. Here, we're more than a year into this war. Jack Devine joins us. He's the founder and he's the chairman of the Arcan Group. And Jack is also a thirty two year veteran of the Central Intelligence Agency, so he has some experience in these matters. Jack, what's your latest read coming out of the Middle East?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 4: Again, I think the most recent data point would be Iran's response to the missile tacks on Iran.
Speaker 3: They could have.
Speaker 4: Gone a lot broader, a lot wider, a lot deeper. They chose not to put your read of what's going on there in Middle East?
Speaker 10: Well, I think Israel has demonstrated tremendous power and by contrast, the adversaries tremendous weakness, much less than many people anticipated, right, and it di mended. I would say Israel's in the catbird seat. Their adversaries are pushing, I think now pushing for a cease fire. They got their back up against the wall.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm very curious here sort of how you see this playing out going forward. So they're in the catbird seat around with their back against the wall. Has this sort of tit for tat ended at this point in time, where do you see things going here? Of course, it's all kicked off with Iran attacking Israel a few weeks back.
Speaker 10: Yeah, my read is that Iran his belah Amas all know that there's no bouncing back right now, right, you can only beat up more. The fact that the Israelis went in with one hundred airplanes right, not a single one shot down. That tells you Iran is tremendously vulnerable. The Israelis could take up tomorrow and bob in the oil feels combind to nuclear sites, but they won't be able, I think, to do the damage at this point without sustained attack.
Speaker 9: But I think they decided not to do that.
Speaker 10: THEIRS was restrained. The Israelis could do more, but it was powerful. Now the Iranians are passing it off as though it wasn't so bad. Well, it was pretty bad, but it didn't hit the two things. I think there was a deal made with Washington understandable in this one this case. So I think they're trying to find a way to catch their breath. And I think that's true with his beloved. Remember, all the leadership has been wiped out of Hamas and his blog. Both places have taken a tremendous beating. They need to regroup. So I think you know they're going to negotiations now. Egypt and Hamas have issues, have agreements and of discussing them. But I think you know Netta is sitting in a strong place. He's going to ask for a bigger price. What's that price? One will be the northern territory of the Israelis got back into it and they cease with these the firing and the hostages right out front.
Speaker 9: Number one have to be a race. He's gonna he's gonna argue, he's gonna have he's hold all the cars. He's gonna have a tough bargain.
Speaker 10: They could have gotten to maybe a little less a little while ago, perhaps, but right now, just because they say they want to seize fire to to be more on his terms.
Speaker 9: You've got to.
Speaker 10: Watch these negotiations. It's not going to be simple. There to be some fine print that have long term implications.
Speaker 4: Well, Jack, I mean, I guess my next question would be timing. If if Nettanelho and Israel are in such a good place, given developments over the last several weeks, how do you think this is going to play on in terms of timing. Is this something that we could see in the next days and weeks or is there still more posturing on either side.
Speaker 9: Well, I think the whole world has stopped.
Speaker 10: You know, we go through the motions until election day in the United States, right because everyone around the world is factoring and how that plays out, including in the in the Middle East. I think it's going to be more less dramatic, except in this one place. I think the difference between the two parties may be different, at least in the short term. On Iran, but I think nothing's meaningful. This is my view. I mean, there might be some some last minute release of hostages or something, but I really think nothing is going to happen ntil after election day, so timing.
Speaker 9: The second thing is, I think the Israelis have now.
Speaker 10: Demonstrated, you know, their effectiveness and the vulnerability of Iran. They too, I think, you know, went to hostages. They need to regroup. I think taking out the you're taking out the New Year site changes everything.
Speaker 9: So I think that was.
Speaker 10: Taken off the table temporarily. But let me make one final point in that if they look like after this is over, the Iranian and this fight whatever they're saying, trying to ratchet up the nuclear program, and if they get within the six month range, then I think we'll see much more rigorous response from an effective response from Israel with our support.
Speaker 6: Jack, I want to draw on your experience kind of observing the relationship between the US and Israel over the years, and you mentioned just a few minutes ago the fact that perhaps israel retaliatory strike here was more limited in part because they were listening to the Council of the Administration of the United States. We've heard over the course of this conflict kind of mixed messaging about the degree to which Israel is listening to the US is following the lead. Of course, that encouragion into Lebanon was something that the Biden administration didn't want to have happen. What's your sense, your assessment of the quality of that relationship today, The degree to which Israel is taking the advice of the US here is it as it pursues wars on many fronts.
Speaker 10: I think the relationship is a really good one. It really doesn't change with administration because our reser so vitally or twine.
Speaker 9: But you have to look at me with Nan Yahoo.
Speaker 10: I mean, I know he's very controversial, including within the Israeli community, but he has run a very effective program.
Speaker 9: So he listens.
Speaker 10: He really he's listening, but then he reclculates it within what he thinks is possible and how much he can move this right. So I think he's listening, but I think he's decided. I think I've got this one right. I'm gonna I'm going to factor it in, but i'll factor it in unless it's contrary to what I think this needs to be played here. This is true internally as well. So I think he's listening, but he's decided there's one way to handle this problem, and he's pursuing a very specific plan if he's not going against nuclear targets, because he also feels that this might be the moment, not quite the right moment, and it's too it's letting open Pandora's box and he's not ready for it. So it's a It's a really interesting and complex relationship. But people shouldn't get confused about who Ally is.
Speaker 9: And I don't think either.
Speaker 10: Ad Minuet is confused that the importance of Israel in the Middle East and stability.
Speaker 9: So you know, I touch through the political jabbering.
Speaker 10: If you will, and I'm convinced the relationship is solid. But he's driving it with all due respect to our influence around the world. But it will look like he's listening.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 4: Always great to get your thoughts in your perspective, Jack to mine, folks. He's a founder and chairman of the ark And Group. He is a thirty two year veteran of the Central Intelligence Agency. Will reserved us both Acting Director and Associate Director of the CIA's operations outside the United States, as well as chief of the Latin American the Division, the head of the CIA's count and Narconic Center, head of CIA's Afghan Task Force.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every week day on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal.
Speaker 4: All right, folks, you daily look at the front pages around the world at LISTEO. Wealthy Americans are paying millions to live in luxury retirement communities.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about what are you going to stay in the Jersey Compound Forever.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that's the plane.
Speaker 11: Exactly in the Jersey Shore.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of wealthy Americans, they are they're paying a lot of money to go to these retirement communities that are now luxury retirement communities. They're called life planned community.
Speaker 5: Boy.
Speaker 1: The reason they're called that is because you start an apartment and then you can move to nursing like care moved, yes to that, to that section, so you have one place to go because they're finding that a lot of people find it difficult to find homes for their parents once they reach that level where they have to go to nursing home status. So they're saying, if you start now, then they already have that in to get there.
Speaker 4: And there's one in your neighborhood, right is that kind of what we're talking about In Jersey.
Speaker 3: There's one where and I live.
Speaker 4: There's one that they put up like three or four towers.
Speaker 11: Right, Yeah, it's a whole community. But this is like way over.
Speaker 1: I mean you want to hear the prices for these Okay, So they have pools, beautiful grounds, fancy meals.
Speaker 11: An upfront payment can range from.
Speaker 1: Just over a million dollars for one bedroom yes, to more than seven.
Speaker 11: Million for a three bedroom.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: What and then you have the monthly fees you know, for the amenities, thirteen eight hundred dollars for housekeeping.
Speaker 11: This is ballet. Yeah, so this is like another level.
Speaker 1: This is Silicon Valley. This is the v at Palo Alto. Okay, So that's what they're talking about. But I mean there are other places, yes, that do have these, they're not as expensive. But like I said, the baby boomers saw what their parents went through, and they don't want their kids to go through the same trouble. So that's why this is becoming popular.
Speaker 6: Not to harp on North Carolina too much, but I mean there're a ton of these around in you and see, Yeah, a lot of people moving to the area just for them. And then you have you know, they draw from the universities, have all of this cultural I mean, we.
Speaker 4: Did consider thinking about, you know, the kind of retirement years, thinking like the Greater Dupe community. But this is too far from the ocea, you know, it's too far from the ocean.
Speaker 3: So we sit ury sure, sure, right, very good.
Speaker 1: Did you know there was a big celebration over the weekend for the New York City Subway one hundred and twenty years old. Well, yes, it happened yesterday A big part. The first subway train left from City Hall to one hundred and forty fifth Street in Harlem October twenty seventh, nineteen oh four. It made it uptown in twenty six minutes.
Speaker 11: There you go. At the time.
Speaker 6: Today, I was gonna ask.
Speaker 11: How was that compared to today?
Speaker 4: I ride the City Subway every single day, which I've done since I don't know, nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 3: It's the only it's.
Speaker 4: By far the most efficient way to get around that now. True, but I don't know why people do anything different. I mean, and I'll make the claim here today, from today versus my first day in nineteen eighty six, the subway experience no change. With one big, one big exception air condition car yeah back only about half a card condition.
Speaker 3: Now they're all air conditions, the same, grubby people, the same.
Speaker 4: Everything you want to say that you don't like about the subway today is the same as it was nineteen eighty six. Sta So people say it's gotten so much more, something like, no, it hasn't. You haven't ridden the subway.
Speaker 6: Well, there were grand plans to kind of modernize a lot of these stations and make things better with the money from congestion pricing, which is on holding course, thanks the governor. So we'll see if that changes. But you know, there's there's room for improvement.
Speaker 4: I would say always, always, But I mean it gets how many gajillion people around this island.
Speaker 6: Every day back to the norm that we had in pre pandemic?
Speaker 3: I think, but I think, what do we know we're not? Are we back up here that we're very close to it?
Speaker 6: If there was that kind of trough for a while and things were, things were strange, stranger on the subway.
Speaker 4: But I don't know how you get around the city.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're riding your bike? Are you doing it?
Speaker 6: Get that best bike? You haven't done that yet?
Speaker 3: No? Exactly right? All right? What else you got?
Speaker 11: Okay, So New York this is in the New York Post.
Speaker 1: Okay, so New York will poorly banned the sale of caffeine infused cannabis. Now caffeine infused cannabis, it's just counter caffeine, So state regular is apparently banned it. There are cannabis pills also infused with caffeine. Apparently it's popular with fitness enthusiasts.
Speaker 4: You're the only fitness is and I'm not these I don't get it. What do you do for your like your energy? You're just water.
Speaker 11: It's just me.
Speaker 6: It's just ridesillan wave.
Speaker 11: Yes, but apparently this is the thing.
Speaker 1: It's called Go and Genius. They're marketed as energy stimulants. But the company is appealing this ruling, so we'll see what happens. But it's been sold in New York since February of last year.
Speaker 11: But it's a base.
Speaker 3: So is it different than Red Bull and stuff like that.
Speaker 11: I guess so because it's it has ta yes. So okay, the watage.
Speaker 6: Do you have a lot of dispensarieson I mean there we do. Yeah, I guess there's like two hundred something in New York State. But I've noticed in Brooklyn there were a lot of these shops that have been closed down by the sheriff. We have a sheriff apparently.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, I mean he used to be in midtown Manhattan, just within like a three square block of Penn Station.
Speaker 3: They're ga jillion of doscincs. Now they're all shot within like a day. They all just the city said no more so. But yeah in Jersey. Yeah, we got to Neptune.
Speaker 4: That's our place to go. And I'll say, you go to this dispensary New Jersey. It is every walk of life, from the wealthiest retiree to the kid off the streets, every color shaped form. It is the great equalizer. Go into the dispensary and it's a they do a you know, great business.
Speaker 6: That's America.
Speaker 9: That's America.
Speaker 3: Very good on the selection year. All right, we got the World Series.
Speaker 11: Yes, World Series. Okay.
Speaker 1: So the New York Times has this interesting look when Yankees general manager Brian Cashman loved the Dodgers.
Speaker 11: I didn't realize.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so he told The New York Times.
Speaker 1: He grew up in Lexicon, Kentucky.
Speaker 11: His parents were from New York.
Speaker 1: Most of the family supported the Yankees, but he says he was a standout, the outcast. He was the Dodgers fan. And he says he doesn't really know why he was. Maybe it was because they were a great team in the seventies when he was growing up, but he just says he was a bat boy at the Dodgers for their spring training, so he was really involved with him but you know, then he started working for the Yankees and things change.
Speaker 4: So Rich Truman's favorite general manager is that right really loves loves, loves cash and interesting coach Franklin Penn state Rich Truman's favorite calm.
Speaker 6: There we go. I'm learning so much here.
Speaker 11: Exactly, but I didn't know this.
Speaker 1: So he started at a college internet with the Yankees in eighty six. He worked his way up assistant general manager, then general manager for the past twenty seven years.
Speaker 6: So intrigue this article is great. But the intrigue that I loved is that Frank Mcourt tried to hire him to the Dodgers from the Yankees.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, for less.
Speaker 6: Money, for less money, and he made more money, but it was more money, but he stayed. He stayed at the Yankees for less money. So I think at that point he felt like he had some Steinbrenner loyalty.
Speaker 3: I mean, Yank.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Yankees are down to nothing, coming back to the Bronx tonight for three games, I believe, and the Judge show up. Yeah, next three in New York, thanks Harry, and then we'll see what happens if they can kind of write this ship here. But after the football we can. We had with the Jets. The New York sports market needs some positive.
Speaker 6: News coming out, and Tani is playing right? Can I get an update on that?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, the shoulder is fine, Yeah, workable, okay, good, exactly right?
Speaker 4: So all right, Lisa Miteo with the newspapers, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: We appreciate that always.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, seven to ten am Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal