Speaker 1: Yo, what's up? You're off in God's Country with your boys. Rude Isabel also known as the Brothers Hunt, where we take a weekly drive to the intersection of country music in the great outdoors. Two things that go together like grandy and giant bass. He caught another one yesterday twelve plus that thing was a giant, giant giant or try to go catch one of day poysonoking, Dude, don't spread out my way. It literally got in my eye when we were podcasting and it burned. Also brought to you by Meat Eater and Hey, Trey Cochrane. We're gonna try to week. We couldn't figure out we couldn't go back and see your post because it was gone. We're gonna try to figure out a sponsorman, baby to come out show when you get to covid A will be your favorite pair.
Speaker 2: Not to mention they're the reason we're on this radio.
Speaker 3: It's the color.
Speaker 1: Sponsorman the show. Baby screwed that all up, dude, It's close enough. Sorry, I saw you freak out in the moment. We tried to go back and listen to yours, he said every he wrote. He wrote a verse to the Cova song what send it to us again. Yep, and not in your story form. We'll we'll see it right next time. Hey, thanks for thanks for listening. Appreciate it. That's cool.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Dave Barnes brought us some coffee. Kids are riot. His dude is on it.
Speaker 2: He said so many funny little slot he stays.
Speaker 1: In that world. Man, I love that world. He's so witty, he's so on top of it.
Speaker 2: Heads up, don't come to this podcast for hunting and fishing, because there right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if if you, if you listen to this podcast because of the songwriting aspect of the music aspect, there's plenty of that on there. And and he's a Mississippian, huge Beatles fan, and even like usually when I hear like I'm a Beatles fan, I'm like, wow, whatever.
Speaker 3: The dude.
Speaker 4: Literally like gave us their biographies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I asked for it. I mean, it's not like he just offered it up. I just you know, but I'm saying it was good. It was like it was like it was the most compelling Beatles argument I've ever heard, you know what. It reminded me of.
Speaker 2: It reminded me of when Luke explained watches to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it was so it was.
Speaker 2: Something I was so foreign to too, and I thought was so stupid and had no relevance unless you're like some rich guy and and and the Beatles being it has no relevance unless you're some sort of builds smoking, mushroom eating.
Speaker 4: Peels back the layers of just what what you see is.
Speaker 1: It gave some great perspective on them being young songwriters, which was kind of genre makers, kind of pop makers. Yeah, pretty nuts.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that was very insightful and good in there.
Speaker 1: It's great dad advice. He's got a podcast called Dadville, him and John mcgloughlin and uh, where they just they just chop it up about about fatherhood and get you know, pros on to to give us, to give them tips and lessons and man, it's such great stuff. We did a little segment. Uh Funky too, He's a funky funky. We talked, We talk a whole lot. We talk a whole lot. But but I hope you enjoy it. I hope you stick through it. Does a cool grave at little three part at the end. Yeah, yeah, I hope you enjoy it. What does it smell like? Does it smell Yeah? Yeah, Microwave says it's time to uh to get the roast out. That was perfect time. And Ray, he's so good at this. Ray is so pro This is a good one.
Speaker 2: We've you know what, I actually went through some reviews and the reason we're not being able to say a bunch of bad ones, it's because they're really.
Speaker 1: Nice ones on there. That's nice.
Speaker 2: People are being really nice and they're like, man, we really love this podcast. That's awesome. Appreciate you pretty good, man. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 1: Did you see where stone Cold Steve Austin started following us? He started following us? Yeah, right, I mean he liked one of our posts. I thought, I think he started following us. Oh, we need to get this stone Cold song. Dad, come on the pod. Ray hollaris stone Cold? All right?
Speaker 2: Dan quote Faster than He Looks.
Speaker 1: This is the title of this Faster than He Looks.
Speaker 2: Just found out's podcast. Have been listening out of order, but I'm currently on the Rileigh Green episode. Being a fellow forty one year old and also being familiar with old man injuries, injuries that just happened out of nowhere, like you're sleeping in a bed that's too.
Speaker 1: Small for you.
Speaker 2: I'm envisioning top tall Dan lining up for a race and pulling up at the thirty yard mark with a hammy orn Achilles. Don't do it, Dan, in the spirit of the roast from a younger brother to an older brother, keep rocking that baritone harmony. Love of you boys been five and two. Just some nice some good old nicey not mean guys anymore. You know, appreciate that. Keep on roasting us. Keep what we did. The We're gonna do the lyric thing. There was there was one there that was a song lyric too.
Speaker 1: I'd have to go.
Speaker 3: We'll do it.
Speaker 1: We'll get it for next time time, but we'll get to them. Hey, thanks for supporting, Thanks for following. Go check us out on Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, YouTube. All the things tell your friends, your mom, your dad, your cousins, your uncles, your granddad's your friends about us, kids, dogs by pair of the coosh. Yeah, thanks, enjoyed, Peace out, speed y'all even say we have a super do you know what? You don't even know what speed means.
Speaker 4: I was an extra only ben rolling. I was an extra. My first job in Nashville is an extra on a movie set. And so don't you tell me about speed. I know all about what what movie was.
Speaker 1: Let's actually that you.
Speaker 4: Didn't want to everybody wants to know. It was just so curious about me. It was The Last Castle James Gandolphini and Robert Redford.
Speaker 1: Didn't you like that movie? Wait? For real? For real?
Speaker 4: See y'all y'all thought you knew how Old Dog you cast?
Speaker 1: Yes, they shot it here? What yeah, bro, that's like Mount Rushmore of movies for me.
Speaker 4: I thought, you are you serious, dude? It's it's amazing, amazing they.
Speaker 2: So this is the reason the peditiary.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I remember that.
Speaker 4: So it's the same place that they shot the green mile of some of the seat added Ashton City?
Speaker 1: Is it Ashlin City? It's got the old Uh your point the wrong way? This is blowing my mom.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I didn't like you because you cancel them. That's the first time.
Speaker 1: But now.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 4: We texted and she told me everything y'all like, and I'm just gonna slowly but surely.
Speaker 1: Make my We ran out of coffee this morning.
Speaker 4: Literally, no I So I graduated MSU and literally two months later in town ran and do you know Brandon Heath Christian music Arts. He and I went to school together with Luke Laird and Jess Lexander, all these people.
Speaker 1: We just we just had Lucal blu Raiders me too.
Speaker 5: You would knew it.
Speaker 1: I could feel rim programmed.
Speaker 3: Dog.
Speaker 1: What do you know about that light? What do you know about that? What you what you know about that?
Speaker 5: I know what.
Speaker 4: We both realized like we kind of over committed. But I ran to Brandon and I was like, you know, what are you doing? Because he's singer songwriter but obviously need of us had our thing going yet, and he was like, dude, I'm extra on this movie.
Speaker 1: You should do it.
Speaker 4: And I was like, like, is it hard to get in? He's like no, no, it's it's like a prison movie, which I should have been like, should ask more questions like people clothed, But part of the I still probably would have done it. Honestly, I needed money. I was young and needed the money. But uh, there, but you know you sent in like you just send in a picture yourself and then they were like basically yes, like if you're a human with a face and most of your appendages, like we can use you. So I did it for two months and two months. Yeah, and for how long are you in the movie? Literally point two seconds? Like you have to pause it and then do a super zoom in and you can see me as a guard on the top of the for literally point two seconds. And then they shoot that guy with the rubber bullet.
Speaker 1: That's tough, shoot his head, right, did you shoot it? Did you shoot the rubber bullet?
Speaker 5: In my heart, I did, but not literally.
Speaker 1: That's great. Yeah, that's amazing. I didn't know that how much you get paid for that?
Speaker 5: It actually?
Speaker 4: Man for for like it was like decent money. Really, yeah, decent money back then, I want to say it was like yeah, it was like it's like one hundredy bucks a day.
Speaker 5: That sure.
Speaker 4: And the thing is being a guy that's is at the which one, being a guy that's been uh pro, that's been in the movie industry, like I have you literally get there, they would pick they do buses, so you'd park at the park. It's one of those parking lots around the penitentiary, and they'd come and get you and take you up and you would they had a gym. There's a gym on like on site like for like the prisons gym and it's still like time was like usable, and so they it would just be like guys would be just on like sleeping mats. People would bring sleeping bags and they would just like because you'd work, you know, thirty minutes a day collectively, and so you know, ninety percent of your time was just like sitting in there doing crossword puzzles, hanging with guys. Cause it's kind of like it's sort of pre phones, Like you know, like you had phones, you could text, but you couldn't like kill time on. So guys would just like go to guys slept like.
Speaker 1: I just remember.
Speaker 4: That was like the biggest thing is dudes would just like cash out for wow, six hours a day and then they get mad when you got called to work. It's like, yeah, you know, it's crazy because you know, like Gandalf, any of those guys, uh Ruffalo, you know, like they were all just like right there, you know, wow. And that's before Mark's thing popped off too, so he was kind of he was pretty cool, like you kind of chill and talk to people.
Speaker 1: That's wow, man, I have no idea you were in the movie.
Speaker 4: I'm a big what I'm trying to stablage I'm a bigger deal than y'all think I am.
Speaker 1: Oh, we'll see, I'm a guy. I'm a guy first impressions and I've always done that one. A lot of game from the first time I'm met. A lot of game left to play, dB, A lot of games.
Speaker 5: Say, a lot of game. I was like, thanks to play.
Speaker 2: Introduce before we get recommended.
Speaker 1: First of all, this is a dad and a brother, Pastor Phil Lougan Bottoman, the man that's responsible for seventy percent of first dance songs in the United States Grammy nominated Singer Songwriter Out in God's Country. This week we got Dave bomb relaughing just getting better. Yeah, quick quick story to follow that one up.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I had just moved to Nashville, zero money, same lived on a house boat, moving furniture with Dan.
Speaker 5: Moved.
Speaker 1: Sam Hodges the just shout out if they're still around, yeah, shout out, go get them. Sorry about the picture frame. So I yeah, dude, prett a friend. I ran a bus into a you ran the truck and I ran a moving truck into a nursing home over here, and like the like was like.
Speaker 2: I never got to drive it again. I guarantee you that costs more than you worked the entire.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah did they paid. They paid more for that truck than they ever gave me.
Speaker 4: Well, and the following years of insurance went still up, still up.
Speaker 5: Isabels.
Speaker 1: I transferred from U T to M T s U just to get to get out. I filled physics twice. Uh at ut was never going to make it to med school, so it was like twice. That was the one. That was the one. I was like, yeah, I'm out, I'm out. So this girl from Noxville calls me and she's like, hey, I met Clayton Anderson at a show at Tin Roof and he told me about this like talent agency that's doing this these music videos. And she was like, and I like, she gave me, He gave me this contact. So I called the guy. He was like, so they invited me to come try out for the Rascal Flats Natasha Bedingfield easy music video.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, and she's a big no.
Speaker 6: Going Oh yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, so they shout the skirml horn.
Speaker 4: So anyway, they shot the skirml horn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So they called she So she was like, I don't know anything, but I don't know where it's at. I've got the address. She's like, if I come down there, will you take me to the interview or whatever. I was like sure, So we go in. She comes to town, pick her up, take her to this house on second down there she walks in. I'm sitting in the car like waiting on her.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna let her do the thing and then come out and go get lunch whatever. My stomach starts like like oh man. I was like, dang, dude, I gotta use the bathroom. So I was like, I guess, man, they probably got a bathroom there. So I roll in. There's like a table and people are waiting, and I was like, hey, I was like, can I Is there a bathroom back there? She was like yeah, I'm just around this table back there, and I could see like walking back to use the bathroom. I could see people interviewing and doing like cameras and stuff. And then I was like, that's kind of cool, So go in there.
Speaker 5: Start.
Speaker 1: You know, used to sit down and use the bathroom. I was watching that show that sat down to pee on Yeah on MTV. I did that. Sometimes. I'm a comfortable guy. More about comfort. I also got.
Speaker 4: Kids, so I try to stretch out you know what, don't explain it.
Speaker 1: So I was watching Buried Life where they're like where they're like doing these crazy things trying to get into these like like take it and take life, you know. And so I'm back there and I'm like, hey, man, I'm kind of behind enemy lines. I wonder if I could squeeze myself into this video. So I get done use the bathroom slip out. I'm like, hey, I forgot my all my stuff. Can I get a paper to like fill out? And I'm like here, sure, here. So I was like I literally made up dancing like like outfits that I had worked for things I had been in completely light on this thing, handed it in. They called me back. I tried out freaking got the part and the.
Speaker 4: So I'm in the music video like it's a principal with sorry. That means I don't want to lose you. It means like a featured player. No, no, I was an extra, for sure, I was no.
Speaker 1: Gary Lavaux and Natasha were eating steak while I was eating Chick fil A in the parking lot. But if you go watch that video, yeah I'm in there. I'm a photographer. One time you are this morning, I'm saying about girl.
Speaker 5: They were, they knew they were Like that guy looks like a photographer.
Speaker 1: Ain't no, ain't no doubt.
Speaker 2: We need to puss on of those pictures up and post them. Of reading that.
Speaker 4: Well then I did so when God gave me you came out, I was on a soap opera and acted like I still get like, uh uh checks which one?
Speaker 1: Uh uh really that's a big one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right. What's the other one?
Speaker 4: Is the clock? The Golden the Golden Girls? Is that girls? Golden Guys? Actually, I can't talk much about it. It shot a couple of positive.
Speaker 1: I don't want to know nothing about you getting paid for Golden Guy.
Speaker 5: That was well, I paid for it times.
Speaker 4: But but like I had a line and everything, and that was a big yeah, because once you so once you again, guys, it's just faceted diamonds are.
Speaker 2: There are multiple shows you were in.
Speaker 4: Uh you know those those those those are at the top of listening and the only one.
Speaker 1: That came to the last Castle, Days of our Lives and Golden.
Speaker 4: Guys, And it's that's a list not many people can can say they've done.
Speaker 5: That's where I really hold the corner of that market. Uh.
Speaker 1: But like I had a speaking part.
Speaker 4: And so when you do that, you know you're like principle, you're yeah, well it's like you you suddenly you're I think you. I think if you have a speaking line, you automatically get added to like the union or whatever.
Speaker 5: Uh aftra. And so I still get checks from I mean, they're.
Speaker 2: Like, how much I was your last check?
Speaker 1: Fifteen dollars?
Speaker 4: I'll take it seven dollars.
Speaker 1: That's a grilled bullet, chiefilly.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you for that. But it is it's like without a coffee. Yeah, but I had one line, and you've never seen a more nervous human being.
Speaker 1: What was your line?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I was like ladies in general because I introduced it because they had just gotten done and I was so in in their world, in that fantasy world.
Speaker 5: I was their favorite artist. And so they came God got so excited.
Speaker 4: But they came out and I played God gave me you and so but I had I said, like ladies and gentlemen, uh, introducing the couple in their names, and that was it.
Speaker 1: Look at you, children.
Speaker 4: She's got the rhythm.
Speaker 1: What's he's got the rhythm? And don't know it. You play that song for us right now? She got the r.
Speaker 4: Write that today I one a third. I'm telling you right now, well real nice. Don't take that from me. I mean that sounds Who would have cut that like that? Sounds like a tray sad? In his first album, Whaling would have written that it had been it had been funky too waiting put some steak on that thing.
Speaker 1: Oh good thing many Uh.
Speaker 4: I feel like I've already deterredst B goes Dave.
Speaker 1: Last time, Dave canceled on us, like literally five minutes before the podcast. Yeah, after the morning. This morning he brought us some coffee as a as a sorry.
Speaker 5: That was my peace offering. I so bad.
Speaker 4: I got a call from my manager I think at like eight fifty and he was like, hey, are you headed that podcast? As I was moaning, my.
Speaker 2: You still have the voicemail it would be Really.
Speaker 4: It's a man on the verge of tears, is what it is. That's what it was, a desperate voicemail. I felt so bad.
Speaker 1: And it's fine. It really was fine.
Speaker 2: I can't this was that. That was the we put the deer horns up into the thing.
Speaker 4: It was it was expected. Let's get into what you're mad at.
Speaker 1: What you're mad at? Just tell us what it is. What you're mad at? Is it your in lost kids, might.
Speaker 4: Be a boss man or your neighbor's cat.
Speaker 1: Just tell us what you mad Oh wow, you know we got roasted. We got roasted.
Speaker 2: Our last roast was a guy tell me that I needed to tighten up my notes.
Speaker 1: No, I thought that was really great.
Speaker 2: I went, I went in run then hoping, George, this.
Speaker 5: Slide up really got me through the.
Speaker 1: Oak.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, pedal, I'm Southern Baptist, too bad.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's true, that's fair. What you're mad at?
Speaker 2: De oh man, I'll tell you what I'm mad at. I'm still can feel actually being a little annoyed about it right now in my heart of hearts.
Speaker 1: On your face with the chocolate, oh yeah, chalked up sun screen on. So I go to the doctor because I once a year I get an annoyingly random, poisonous breakout. This is my time. Do you think it's like the big wheaty like do you think that's why? I think it's the first big one?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's like the big whaedy like the first one.
Speaker 1: And yeah, blowing everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, this was specifically a tree that had POISONOU call over.
Speaker 1: Well, but I thought I thought you covered up.
Speaker 4: It's like a long lost friend. You haven't seen it forever.
Speaker 3: Ed.
Speaker 1: That's my action.
Speaker 2: Got start.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna come back in today. We've got eight so I've been in a movie. I don't for the side.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: It's funny though. We this guy brings us a bag of coffee and we give it a thousand dollars a codes.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Things were when things were even well, not yet we hadn't. We forgot it was coming back.
Speaker 2: Well if you get them all right, So I got This is what I'm mad at.
Speaker 1: Everyone has shut up for five seconds, especially you don't so much shut off on my own podcast. I told her to shut up on his own podcast, one of our casts on him three times.
Speaker 5: That is that's a marker. A marker was.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. It was a one. It was beautiful.
Speaker 5: I won't do that to you. I want to talk as much today.
Speaker 1: Today you should.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: So I go to get shot and she's like, I'm calling you in a prescription to hear crowger. I was like, cool, can't get today, I'll pick it up in the morning before I go to work.
Speaker 5: But you went in to get a shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it'll it'll grow. That's the concoction you get poison ivy, steroid shot, steroids, star pack three days, it's over look. Get you.
Speaker 2: I mean if you we've had it every year, literally spend a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Y'all saying both of those things in concert together just made my morning. The fact that it was y'all have done it so much, you both said it. But can I ask, like, is that is that from like either hunting? Yeah, okay, it's usually Turkey Turkey seasons.
Speaker 5: Because everything's growing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or it's like late summer deer management. Yeah, putting upstands though, the same thing with deer management. Yeah, you got allowed to learn, buddy.
Speaker 2: Look get that, don't expose it. Don't say that on the s They're gonna eat you alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 5: Your manage all the time. Right, I'm actually heading out to management.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, all right, I'm not doing it, So I go get the shot. She calls me a medicine. I'm like cool, I'll burn down to Kroger get that. Jo'll be in the line at eight o'clock. Right, go get my.
Speaker 1: Grilled bowl Chick fil a three hundred and sixty calories, fifteen gros protein. Bought back to seventeen dollars. Yeah, a week's worth of uh movie extra pay.
Speaker 2: I burned back to uh Kroger and I'm in the line seven to fifty nine. Baby sitting there waiting on eight o'clock. Click, eight o'clock clicks, doesn't roll up the window eight a one gall bols in and scrubs.
Speaker 1: I'm like, sign says eight o'clock. You're pulling in eight o one eight two three, especially if you're like four medicine eight o five.
Speaker 2: I tapped on the window. You know what she's gonna do? Look around, curtain, put it back. I drove off. Did you ask her out? That's kind of moment you and it?
Speaker 4: Oh married up? Dog listen, I mean still, it could be worth it.
Speaker 2: I wanted to. I wanted to fight her. I wanted to go in there and fight her. Yeah, I can't say.
Speaker 4: That here, kids fight verbally fight her. Sure that you should have a section of the podcast called can't say question. That's not a bad idea, not a bad idea.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I'm mad at that I'm mad at having poison ivy and I'm also mad at not starting my.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because at eight o'clock.
Speaker 5: Can I ask you?
Speaker 4: Can we have a grown up a conversation. Wow, that was close, kid friendly. It's fine, okay, we have a turkey gob It'll go. Deeroids like they rock my world. Little country girl like, I have to get quarter zone because every now and then on the road or whatever, you know, like my voice will just be shot, either from allergies or something. And years ago, I think it was Charles Kelly was like, oh, go get these shots and I was like, wait, what is that? And He's like, you just go ask for these corzone shots. And obviously y'all knows who well, but dude, it won. It's the most painful shot, like a Cordi COURTI zone. It's a steroid, but it is. It's like they stick a dagger in the medicine and shivvy. I mean it, it hurts. I went and got one in a minute clinic. If you had driven by, you just see me in the parking lot doing this.
Speaker 1: Like stretched it out. I was gonna make it get you better get the blood work, Yeah, get in the blood float up it's like a soft ball sitting.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And so but but then I don't know if this particular to me when I get Steward shots. But like I am red faced and I'm talking like red for probably like five days.
Speaker 1: Five days that didn't happen to you all. I think might be a thing going on.
Speaker 4: Well, a guy gives it, he hasn't God gives it me in a basement that's tried to make something else than the minute. Okay, it's the same guy that did gold Gold. Nice guy, a little handsy, but really gentle.
Speaker 1: I did pull my pants down to get the shot and he was like, not hip brother, sorry about that.
Speaker 4: And turn around. Turn around we do in the back and off the front. And then he winks at you, and you're like, wait, I'll go.
Speaker 1: Cope, will hire these limits? Oh man, I'm mad. Let me go, you go, No, you go, we go? You gotay where to be today?
Speaker 4: I've got I got a mutating session with Blake and even Prince so he died.
Speaker 2: Okay, because I want to go for hours already.
Speaker 1: I'm mad at people that get in a hurry, particularly in cars in the country, like where like me this morning, Like where I live like, if I'm taking the trash off little back road, I'm not going to go a million miles an hour because I got the trash on the trailer. I'll get that. And they're honking and trying, they're like doing the thing where they're coming around, but they see your trailer.
Speaker 4: Of course, why do you Uh, I'm curious about this. You have you have trash in the trailer, and that's how you've miss them.
Speaker 5: Do you are you taking?
Speaker 1: Uh? Do you not have? He don't. He really doesn't know.
Speaker 4: Well, no, because I got leaper. I got my spot in Leapers. So I'm curious because this is our problem.
Speaker 1: So I could pay. I could pay. They have somebody come pay, But I'm a real man.
Speaker 5: Know we don't either. We don't pay either.
Speaker 1: Good till do you if you're not living out there? Though, yeah, I would probably pay. Okay, don't, let's don't.
Speaker 4: I don't living out judge the energy that I'm getting from here right now.
Speaker 1: But that's what that's why I was the first thing he told me was that he had a place some Leapers right when he got here. But also, yeah, you know, I have bought a place. I've been in a movie live there.
Speaker 2: It must have been kind of it must have just happened.
Speaker 5: We're closing on it today.
Speaker 4: But that's what we if. I was asking because we had that choice early on, Like you know, I was like, Man, we aren't out here that much.
Speaker 1: For the record, if you did do that, it's thirty bucks a month out there. Oh it's not very much. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: And you can kind of schedule it, but you can't do it with like the city.
Speaker 1: You have to call it. Yeah, you have to call a guy. Yeah, and I go, I know that guy. It's like a thing now for my Like Jordan takes my youngest, my three year old girl to gymnastics on Tuesday mornings, I take Oak, my two year old boy, and we just throw him in the truck and take it. Yeah, we roll to the trash and take our time.
Speaker 2: And I think I've said this before on the show, but recalled me and he's like, hey, dude, do I don't pay the thirty dollars to get my sorry it was taped to take my guess make meet my trash.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, you don't trust me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's the most peaceful fifteen to forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: You can that's wisdom in a couple.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's true, but to your point, that would ruin the drive because like this is like me and my son and we're just happy at the windows.
Speaker 1: Down your son when you take your son to the trash. I've noticed this. I have a I have a daughter and two sons.
Speaker 2: But when I take my son to the trash, I can still chill and my daughter's in the truck. Yeah there is there is no chill. Yeah you mean you can still chill. What do you I can like turn on some Alan Jackson. He bobs and there's not a lot of questions. But with my daughter, it's uh, very quil quote.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Girls, isn't a lot of questions my wife, it's it's one of the funniest parts of our marriage because like when I'm with my sons, especially my oldest, because like he's rising eighth grader.
Speaker 5: Annie will come back from being in the car with him and she'll be.
Speaker 4: Like, just like, man, you know he was talking about this and this is what's going on school and you had a friend that and then you know, soccer today was really great, and today she was like did Ben tell you that he got an a wardors State at soccer camp? I was like no, She's like, oh yeah and this, and and then I'll be like all right, and we'll get in the car and I'm like, and you know, I'm like like, y'all like I'm a creative, I'm pretty you know, like I like talking. I'm not like a normal like just kind of but even and I'll be like, so, uh, he's like, oh yeah, I got that thing. I'm like, oh cool, that's it. Did what did you get it for? And he's like, oh, you know, I got it because this thing it's like and then we're both like cool and we just tried. And I'm like and she'd be like, hey, you talk man. I'm like, i mean like yes, sort of, but i mean we talked. She's like what did you take? And I'm like, now, I didn't tell me. I'm like and I'm like, how do you do that? She's like, oh, I gorillam. She's like, I'm it's like an inquisition question question. Yes, it's like bad, you know, but I'm like it is funny with boys because it's just like just like.
Speaker 2: We just yeah, and mine's three and he already.
Speaker 1: Is like, yeah, he's cool. He's like that turned up like he is he is.
Speaker 2: He really likes uh the Hardy song right now. The it's called rock Star and either there's a I can't remember start and he goes and then and Hardy goes and it goes love and he goes and it what was fuck? He has no idea. He's not a great singer, though, I feel bad.
Speaker 1: Lies.
Speaker 2: It's like a little angel merde singer. Yeah, my guy and got it, okay, it could kick in. He's gonna have the looks he is like three is hot. I can tell blonde hair, blue eye, what yeah, looks nothing like me?
Speaker 1: Real check?
Speaker 2: Every Amazon guy comes in, Are you mad anything?
Speaker 4: So it's funny all should ask. We've gotten into the season of sidewalk chalk.
Speaker 2: Yep, stop giving it to my kids, aunts and uncles.
Speaker 4: I hate that's because it tracks that stuff in my house. Because they, for some reason of all the sidewalk in front of our house, we're you know, we're down, We're like right by Belmont. You got plenty of sides, concrete everywhere, sidewalk everywhere everywhere. They want to do it right in front of my house, right in front of the front door, and so it's just it looks like a crime scene. It's just steps all the way.
Speaker 1: Get it. And then I'm out there and my kids.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's anger towards me that they take out on the sidewal truck. But they don't just draw. It's like with the force of thor they and they will just it'll be this sidewalk charge and I'm like, gods, it's a smiley face and I'm like out there, like, you know, Annie's like, you got a chill a pressure washer? Oh yeah, yeah, well I'll tell you your hose guy.
Speaker 5: Well I was in high school.
Speaker 4: Oh hose right, sorry, the the you can go you can go to home depot and get this thing. It's my favorite thing I bought this year. That's like a it's like pressure washer light and you just stick it on your hose and it's like so it's not you know, it's not a pressure washer, but it's great. It's like I'd buy I might buy numerous in them just to have them in kistures.
Speaker 1: How much like it.
Speaker 5: But it's great for sidewalk because.
Speaker 4: It but Annie, it is one of her She laughs so hard, like She'll see the kids start drawing and she'll just look at me and start laughing. And I'm like, I start twitching and itching and like like.
Speaker 1: I got.
Speaker 4: Grip pressures too hard, so mad. It's like they'll start doing it and he's like, don't stop them. I'm like, just y're done, Like now we're gonna do them like.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Then they draw like, you know, the Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden, turning into the biblical narrative down the sidewalk.
Speaker 5: Can't that's absolutely what they learned.
Speaker 1: Demons and kill bad cocoon there. It's like star with the circle. It's like a goat's head.
Speaker 5: They're like, been listening to Metallica.
Speaker 4: Oh, let's just get into it a little bit.
Speaker 1: Where did you grow up?
Speaker 7: Where?
Speaker 1: In Mississippi's zip where? I know?
Speaker 4: I know that you can feel it in here?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 4: Miss You're south of Jackson, guy, though I can tell north.
Speaker 1: Of Jackson where?
Speaker 5: Yes? So we grew up in Kasi Esco.
Speaker 1: Don't Yeah, we gotta. Dad grew up in Corinth. Mom grew up in Ripley Bro. We're all current karnth Karn. Where'd y'all go up?
Speaker 2: West Tennessee, but we spent We're like right on the line of Mississippi, so we were always down in there. Oh yeah, Pickwick and I went. I went to a community college in Northeast, Northeast Community College, and then I went to Missippi State. So we my band was down there and we toured and did all that stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, that was like, yeah, I was there. So I was born in South Carolina. My dad was a pastor and uh and I clearly pastor because people think I say something else.
Speaker 1: But uh he uh.
Speaker 4: So his first gig was in listen this is people there in the biz. That's what we call it in the in the preaching business. They don't call it that the church biz. But he was like a young adult pastor right out of seminary in Columbia, South Caroline. That's where I was born by two siblings were born.
Speaker 1: I'm the oldest three.
Speaker 4: And then we moved to Cause when I was six, So I was there from six to sixteen. Then he got another gig wink At Andox. It was it was like, I mean, I think he got paid like dear met and prayers in Mississippi and use BB's. But we went to We moved to Knoxville when I was in high school. So I moved there in my upcoming junior year. And that's like where you know. I mean, Kasi Esco was eight thousand people when we lived there. My high school was twenty five hundred. So it was I mean like the move was just crazy amount of change, which I loved.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 4: I was like when we moved, I was. I mean, I had really good friends, but I was. I was like, I was, I was just getting into music, and I was kind of like, I'm ready to get out there and kind of see some things.
Speaker 5: And so we moved there and then went to MTSG from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun. It's been fun for me digging into your recent music because I'm gonna be honest with you, I have three kids now and I'm full time and I don't.
Speaker 1: Listen to anything anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, so it's been fun to kind of to get into it. But I actually this morning, as I was just dabbling and going through your stuff, it was fun. Your voice has changed from the early yeah, early DV to I had a girlfriend in college and she loved day Barnes so much. Man, every girl and you were more of like a me see what's the acronym for this?
Speaker 5: I'm really excited.
Speaker 2: It was like seabap okay, yeah, Christian backsliding boyfriend acoustic paup.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I lovely not a sea pap.
Speaker 1: For these days.
Speaker 2: Christian ye backsliding, Yeah, boyfriend acoustic paup. Play grace, somebody's hands improve it?
Speaker 5: Do it?
Speaker 8: Wait?
Speaker 1: Wait, I want to prove it. It's'll prove it. But how do you qualify that? Well, because it's like you're a Christian boyfriend, Yeah, what's the like, what's the backsliding part? But you might have you might go to ricks every now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he might smoke a little bit, a little bit a whole.
Speaker 1: He may be like, Hey, I'll sleep on the couch at your hot place, at your place because it's already one thirty. Yeah, I'm so tired, dude.
Speaker 2: That is my trailer is six minutes away.
Speaker 1: That's like unbelievably on the nose.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I'm just chilling here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we can watch thee whatever.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no blankets. I gotta run to be issued.
Speaker 5: Yeah, worship in the morning, so what's up?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But it okay, I mean this is not the right king.
Speaker 5: Uh, you need to sing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can we see it with you? Is amazing? Okay, it's kind of nice thing at this left.
Speaker 4: No cocks up the feather.
Speaker 1: Bit if a feather bed lit a little never st.
Speaker 4: Bad working.
Speaker 1: I like this.
Speaker 9: Mississippi always thought that love was fine, always thought to be.
Speaker 8: So that w was send me down and angel baby.
Speaker 7: Dude, it was great.
Speaker 1: It's like it feels good.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: It doesn't tell me if you.
Speaker 2: Were in college and some dude slightly older than you was putting.
Speaker 1: Out that some sea bat. Yeah yeah, that you would be like, my girlfriend loves this guy more than me. He didn't even know this guy. Yeah, you played it. You played at state somewhere. It was like yeah, yeah, I can't remember where. It was Christmas thing.
Speaker 5: Or something, but I think you or something like that.
Speaker 1: Fourteen Christmas shows a year, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like the Christmas guy there for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, sister Christmas. Yeah yeah, we do.
Speaker 4: We do a show here every year in Nashville at the Sherman Warren. Just one, uh yeah, just one and then usually another show knock. I've toured a little bit, but it's just like that's partly my ride.
Speaker 1: She's a little she's a.
Speaker 4: Little really but but yeah, no, I love doing that. But yeah, I think it was it was it was you know, Wesley, the wesley Ers.
Speaker 5: It was like one of those she was.
Speaker 1: Like, we gotta go see Dave Barnes and one dude I had, I was, but I rocked your stuff. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Good voice has changed, oh my gosh so much well that you know, I was just gonna say quickly that that was something so I worked with when I moved to Nashville.
Speaker 5: Did the movie and.
Speaker 2: Don't say did then the movie two seconds?
Speaker 4: And uh, I mean you, I mean barely that and uh shot the guy? Yeah, and then that, you know, that was really where it all began. But met ed Cash. I don't know if y'all know ed, but ed Uh at the time was producing a lot of like the really really really cool like acoustic Christian stuff that was honestly not far from that. It was like Caman's call Bibo Norman. Yeah, uh that stuff at the time, I just I could not get enough of. So when he moved to Nashville, Bibo was a friend of mine from Young Life Camp randomly, and so Bibo's like you need to meet Ed, like he's moving to Nashville, and so we connected and got on so well. But I was I was like obsessed with that world. So I was like, I want to I was just starting to write my own song and stuff. Someway started working for Ed because he called me and he was basically like, hey, I just need somebody to like run Errand's help in the studio, just kind of like anything I need. So I worked for him for six months and in that time, at the end of it, he's like, look, my kind of gift to you for doing is we'll do EP And that was an EB called Three than Four that I did, and I remember like singing and he was like, man, we need to work on your singing now because short it was like the Michael McDonald thing. And so every time we do a take and he'd be like open your mouth, open your mouth, and so over that record, I think Chasing Mississippi, which is my second record, is probably the end of that. But I mean Ed in the studio would grill me and there was so much vocal production because I was so insecure because the thing that's crazy about my artistry was like I pretty much started singing live when I started singing, so like I was writing songs and MTSG for fun and whatever, but my best friend would sing him because he had a great voice. So he'd come over and be like, hey, I wrote the song, and we'd sing it and friends be around, but it'd be like whatever, you know. But I wrote one song and he was like, you sound really cool singing that, and I was like, good on him for not keeping you out amazing. Yeah, yeah he could have. Could he could have because it was a ton of money he could have made, and uh, but he was just like, man, you should really you sound really good singing it. And that was kind of the beginning of my artistry because I was just writing because I was like obsessed with Skip Youing and some of those guys at the time, because I'd just gotten hip to Brian White and some of that stuff. That to me was like Sons of the Desert, which I was obsessed with those guys, but I just started to dip my toe in the country that country to career, like the more poppy like Rascal Flats record Nesist, I mean, good lord, that guy. But that to me was interesting because I was like, oh, these are these are not because I'd grown up. I mean, Kaziska, the only radio station we had was a country station, and it's crazy. I laughed so much because my mom and dad still just don't don't care for country at all, but because it was just always on, I know so many nineties country songs just from being in the car with a friend or because that was the only radio station we had that was native to kasi Esko. So when I started hearing that music at MTSU, I was like, what hold on, what is this country stuff?
Speaker 5: Because I love this stuff.
Speaker 4: And then I started to realize, like, oh, there are guys and girls who write these songs that don't sing them. Because the time I didn't sing I was I went to school to drum I was, I was studying drum set and so I was like, well, hold on, can you like write song if you don't sing?
Speaker 5: And it was like I could.
Speaker 4: But so when my buddy said, hey, you should sing it, it was like all of a sudden stuff kind of with technicolor, because I was like, well, hold on, well, if I'm going to sing these, I want to write different songs for me to sing, cause these were like just little sweet love songs and like anybody could sing them, so I didn't sing, so literally, like for whatever, my dumb this is the very Barnes trait.
Speaker 5: I was like, well, I guess you're gonna do it. Let's do it.
Speaker 4: And so literally like booked to show three months after that because I was like, well, let's go.
Speaker 1: The only way to do it, so it's only one to do. So I was terrified.
Speaker 4: So I just didn't know how to sing, and so Ed had to do so much work on In fact, one of the funniest things that ever happened is when I signed A Razor and Tie to New York.
Speaker 5: We recut until You one of my.
Speaker 4: Songs yea, and so they were like, that'll be your first single on that on our first label record. And so when we went in to cut it again, we kept all the tracks done a great but I was like, hey, let me re sing it. And he was like, I mean, I think the vocal sounds great that we got you know, five years ago, but sure, and we both laughed so hard. It was one of my favorite moments in the studio with him ever, because I re sang it. I've been singing it for five years that point and he literally was like, can I can I play this for you? And it was verbatim the same vocal take as the already and what he was showing me was, isn't it great to see how much you've matured vocally?
Speaker 5: Because now I don't have to coach you to sing that way?
Speaker 4: You just do a matchup, because I mean, we would do vocal take after because I just it was so much Rogers Cornel like that.
Speaker 2: I could tell that was I wouldn't. I didn't exactly know how to describe it, but your o's were more rules.
Speaker 5: Well, it was just I just didn't open my mouth.
Speaker 4: I was so insecure about singing, like, I can't tell you how terrified that's wild?
Speaker 1: How long did that take to wear off? Like? Did it take a bunch of shows?
Speaker 4: Bro? I mean, honestly, you know, I've been playing, so I started playing professionally like full time in two thousand and two. I'm not lying to ten years before I really really really felt like, oh I'm good. I'm like, I'm not going to out sing somebody, but I feel comfortable with my ability. But you know some of that and I know y'all know this world too, especially like being in a bandoned tour and doing your artistry stuff. You know, you moved to Nashville. I'd only been singing about a year and I start meeting other guys at the time who were like they you know, like I meet them. We I'm like, oh, let's go hang and we go you know, our place whatever grad guitarist and they start singing and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, yeah, oh, I mean imposter syndrome.
Speaker 4: I met Chris and Morgan two years in a living in Nashville and we were hanging at one of the music grow offices just you know, oh gotcha, And I mean it was like a buddy and and it was literally in a room like this. It was like Josh Hoagan called and said, hey, we're just hanging at this Junia company. It was great and I don't even know, I think Chris had maybe not even gotten cuts yet. And it's a freaking guitar pool with just some homies, just a random guys. And I played grace is feeling pretty good about myself. I'm like that's I was like, deal with that. And they start singing and I was like, oh, what have I done? But it's like, you know, you just like you Nashville is the big leagues.
Speaker 5: It is the big leagues.
Speaker 4: And I think for me it was like, all right, I think I can get there, but but I can't.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 4: I mean two of my best friends at the time had gotten signed by David Foster to be a vocal group, and they were two of my best friends and they both sang like Jeff Buckley and they're twins and they're incredible looking guys, and it was like that was my crew, and I'm like, you know, it was just like, oh, this is this is we a.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't sell yourself short though, man, I mean, you had some hot stuff. It speaks for itself.
Speaker 4: I think I will say it's God's grace to me, and it's always been the truth and everything. But I think in this iteration of my life was I think by God's unbelievable kindness. I had some songs, and I think for me that kind of got me, that sort of kept it going because I think if I hadn't had songs, that had been a tough roado, because I think I'd have been like, you know, but I think enough people were like, he'll get there. The other stuff is good. The rest will catch up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel that, but I understand exactly what you're saying. But I think I think sometimes we have especially like creatives. Right, we're in this we're in this organism where people are coming and they're going. They all sing and they all play guitar, and we round out in our heads what quality sound is and we don't think we make the.
Speaker 1: Cut to that.
Speaker 2: But what we lose is the is the ability to understand how certain voices can connect. Yes, and they don't have to be the greatest voice in the world.
Speaker 5: And I would I would.
Speaker 2: I think National rate Sorry to cut you off, Yeah, I think great National is a great example of that. And I'm not going to name name because I don't want name people that can't sing, but we all know there's people I there that can't sing that have had thirty year careers. You are not that by no means. But what you do have in your voice and your tone that maybe other quote unquotes better sexuality stop is conviction.
Speaker 1: Shoot conviction Okay, yeah, same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, I was gonna says, no, that's kind of compliment I think for me.
Speaker 5: And again y'all know this, well, two things.
Speaker 4: One, it was a real interesting thing for me about ten years being into town working with artists who could sing.
Speaker 5: When you get in the.
Speaker 4: Room with them to write, and it was like I would get emotional on how good these people are. Oh yeah, but they would have the hardest time in their record deals because they could sing so well. And that was such a fascinating thing for me to learn, is like you can actually sing so well that it paralyzes people around you, because if you can do anything, how do you do one thing? And I saw so many artists get in these hamster wheels at these majors because literally they were so good at singing that the staff there would be like, uh, okay, okay, let's do like a pop country thing, and they'd cut at the time five sides and.
Speaker 1: They'd be amazing.
Speaker 4: But then they'll be I don't know, let's let's try like a bluegrass thing, and and and and then literally three years in their deal they were like they all put out a song and then and you're like, that's actually, in a weird way, the uh the casualty of an incredible voice. I think the other thing too, is and this is this is a little bit of minutia, but stay with me, I think a good voice. Yeah, I think the it's it's Mt. S U education that you can't hide, and I'm not gonna apologize for that. With the big words, the I think, I think the thing that gets tricky with good voices. And I really believe this, if you get up and start singing and you have that kind of like a transcendent voice of Chris Stapleton to read Franklin, you know, Timberlake, these kind of like Brian White, I think big word alert at the most asmodic level. As an audience member, you suddenly go, oh oh, I need to expect different things tonight. And then if they underliver, underdeliver song wise, you actually leave madat wasn't that great? You go, wasn't that great? Because something in our brains goes, oh oh, oh okay. And that's why Bonnie Ray, Aretha Franklin, these people early on there, well it took Bonnie a while, but they go, you know, Michael Bolton laugh all, you won't They go, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't need to kill her.
Speaker 5: I don't need to sing my songs.
Speaker 4: I need to sing good songs because what I'm gonna get in trouble for is trying to sing my songs and people are like, your songs are not as good as you're singing is, and that's going to kill your career. And so I think that's the other thing that I noticed too that was a real grace to me. And with my voice, was was going, Man, my smashes my songs, and that's the greatest thing I got. And so instead of well, instead of being the guy that's like, man, he can undersing these great songs, or he can sing the phone book, but man, the songs just aren't there, I was like, man, I love where I'm at because I also think that I mean, I would argue ninety percent of the way a song is communicated is how it impacts you know, Like if you have a voice that carries this song enough to make the song work, that's all you want, man, you know. And I think that's I've thought about this a lot with Paul McCartney, who was in a band called the Beatles, great band from Liverpool, but they you know, Paul, to me, has probably the most digestible voice in the history of popular music. Not the best voice, not not the most tambour rich warm, it's just it's just water you can just drink it and drink it and never get tired. And so to me they were geniuses and their songs were otherworldly. But I think people sleep on his singing. I think if Joe Cocker right at the same time I'd been had had the songwriting talent of Paul McCartney, I do not think the Beatles would have been the Beatles because I think it would have been too much. And so I think what Paul's voice was and John's was like this too, But I would argue to a leisure degree because it was more of a thing. It just carried songs so well. It never got in the way of songs, but it was good enough that you wanted to listen to it, you know. And so I think there's something about to your point about voices. It's really interesting to me because I think we can get, especially Nashal, and get a little too obsessed with vocal stuff where it's like, man, songs are always the thing. We don't have a music industry without songs, and I think you really want to be careful of having I almost get more nervous for artists that can sing now because I'm like, you might not realize that the road ahead of you and how hard it's going to be because you can actually sing so well, and so you're gonna really need to be careful to have songs that match, if not are better than your voice.
Speaker 5: And that's really hard to find.
Speaker 4: You know, songs that you can go like R S, B, C T or you know, uh, nick of Time or whatever. You know you really need Now now your work is finding the songs that match your talent, which is going to be, you know, a tricky road.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It felt like back in the day too, when when you were when you were coming up, and what stuck out to me in that too is when you said, like, you're those songs fit fit you so well. Yeah. It was the same thing with like John McLaughlin. Yeah, and and Mark Bissarde and Ben and talking about the voice.
Speaker 4: We just saw dude, he's a killday, he's a killing He's an assassin man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That that writing with Mark in that season we were writing so much. That was the first time I've been in I'd written with someone that could sing like that. And I was like, this is cocaine Mississippi, Louisiana.
Speaker 2: He's got When when you talk about like as a memorable tone and his control like when you have when you can and to me, I think that's what Morgan wallandst so well. I think that's what Luke Combs does so well. Is they have this tambourl of roughness, but the control.
Speaker 4: Is that's off the chart, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: And so you can maneuver in and out of these notes right in the center of them and tap into if for some reason that gives big Harry chalked up guys like me.
Speaker 5: Y I tea what was really interesting too and talk about it, and.
Speaker 1: Mark is definitely one of the first examples of that.
Speaker 4: I think this was a really interesting struggle for me early on though, is Mark and I got to be really close, played a ton of shows, wrote a bunch of songs together. He would cover Grace's Amazing Hands live, and you talk about a really bizarre feeling because when that goes.
Speaker 2: Back to what you're saying, though, it's it's he couldn't have sang a whole record like that, though.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I just know he would sing that song and I was like, well, that sounds pretty good.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what you always meant to sound like.
Speaker 4: Well, honestly, and it was funny because and you know what, you'all remember message boards back in the day, Like how big of a deal those things were. Sure, I remember it was the only time ever that I got it kind of like a beef with a guy once because you know that that and for people listening to, well, it was funny because it's basically like, you know, it's like Venison more than his beef, honestly, but yeah, real clean and really like like you know, some boots but the you know, you just kind of like I feel like all of us knew at that time, like you got to be careful with those things because you know, the people that were all those were like fans, and I remember Mayor had a Monster message board, Jason marads time had a Monster message board. Me and Worts kind of had him, and it was bubbling up a little bit. Mark had a pretty healthy one.
Speaker 5: And remember so.
Speaker 1: Much that would like you had the titles and.
Speaker 4: Thread that's that's exactly right. It's kind of the beginning of that whole thing. And so it'd be like, you know, saw Dave in Knoxville. Who else was there? And it'd be like b B. But but you know, it gets tricky. It's actually the fourth one down to be like, yeah, it wasn't it wasn't as good as last time, and it's an artist. It was like, you know, obviously just drawn to that like a fly. But I remember a guy. I don't even know how how it came to me or because I did. I wouldn't like look around for this stuff, but I think somebody sent me thinking about Grace's market played it and I was like, I alt's see what people say. And the guy was like, bro, this is by far the best version of the song, like it just smashes the other version.
Speaker 5: And I was like, oh no, no, no.
Speaker 4: So and you know, in my sort of insecurity and indignation, I was like, this guy needs to know I saw that. So then I log in and I like and I played this. It was so woosy. I was like, grow up man, because I played this, like, sorry you didn't enjoy it as much.
Speaker 1: I'm just out who doing.
Speaker 5: The best I can.
Speaker 4: I was like, bro, come on, but I'll never forget. He sent me a message of email and I was like, this was so well done by him. He's like, look, man, I'm not trying to make you mad. I just really like his version better, and I think everybody's gotten a right to their opinion.
Speaker 5: And I love the song. I just really like it when he sings it.
Speaker 4: And that was a huge moment for me because I was like, you know what, I feel that way about a lot of songs, and that's okay, you know it is I like, I like Joe Cocker's version better than a Ringer Stars version, you know of uh the Friends tune. So it was I just had to go, okay, we're not going to play that game. Mark sings it. I love the way that Mark sings it, and that's okay. I like singing it too, and people are going to have feelings about But it was kind of it was like I stuck my toe in that world and was like, okay, I have learned, I got a scar from that.
Speaker 5: We're never going to trust them.
Speaker 2: My toe back out and reading another message boards.
Speaker 4: I was going to say too, I think the thing about that crew, I was really so fortunate with all those guys, with Mark and uh John and words Andy Davison. There was one hundred of us back yea Eliot Morris Griffin House, I mean, there was there was just a cadre of guys doing that. Everybody was doing the same thing, and it was so fun because everybody's writing their own songs mostly by themselves, and so to be in a group of guys and it was like charge, man. I will never forget the synergy of that and how fun it was. The closest I get to understanding what like a McCartney Lennon or or the Eagles or these bands that had these kind of songwriting groups that were sort of writing but also writing against each other at the same time in a band, because you know, words would bring a song that he wrote and it would be unbelievable and it would I remember the first time he played Red Meats Blue for me and I was like, good night, you wrote that and he said, yeah, wrote that. I'm like, oh my gosh. And so then you're like, well, we got to level up, man, that's that's that's that's what we're dealing with. It was almost sorry, go ahead, no, I just and so to your point about those guys, it was such it was like really intimidating.
Speaker 1: It was a movement, but it was awesome.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: It was just like, yeah, I'm glad you look back on that and enjoy that little thing, because I wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be who I am same without those people.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be the songwriter with that I am without y'all's music. Yeah, yeah, it's influential.
Speaker 1: Were y'all ever like, did y'all ever have your time where you would venture off to nationale to come get a deal, and like like did like where you saw about who is the catalyst? Who was the.
Speaker 4: All asking these questions? I thought it was so long so that that you know, my how do I answer that question? So so basically it was like this. When I met Wortz, he he had just done a bunch of young life stuff and so he was he was my first friend because you know, I met those guys, the Jackson brothers who were here that got the David Fosterion Peel early on got out of it because he was trying to start that boy band, uh, the Christian boy band plus one.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you remember those guys, but they.
Speaker 4: Were like and they had some pretty significant success in the Christian space.
Speaker 1: But Jesus, so.
Speaker 5: I crossed my heart that had been a good one.
Speaker 3: But to.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, my heart, I hope to die. But girl, you're looking oh so fly. I'll meet you one day, this guy, but until then, I'll never say.
Speaker 5: Anybody writes his song. I want his all to get credit.
Speaker 4: But you know those guys, it felt like, you know, they had they had kind of done the label thing whatever. Then I fell in with work. So words was kind of my first friend that I met that was like doing it. Like he was writing his own songs. He had put it. He had a record out at the time. Some of those tunes I know were that had I'm sorry Mary, remember that tear?
Speaker 1: He had some bangers on that album. I remember that. Uh.
Speaker 4: But he was my first like, oh, you're doing what I want to do, like exactly like singer songwriter, writing your own tunes, producing the records, tour and making t shirt. I mean like he Matt was the first guy knew that had done all the stuff I wanted to do. But you know, and man, his thing was just it's like up into the right everything was you know, he had done it. So he would go back to play those markets where he had so like he'd go to Crooked Creek or you know, Frontier, Windy Gap, these young life properties. It's the opposite of touring, you stay and kids come through. So you'd spend a month and just thousands of kids would come through a month, and then you're like, oh, and you are selling truckloads of CDs in the gift store and then you go, Okay, hey, where are those kids from.
Speaker 5: Well, that's that's my fall.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to go and and you know, because it was high school kid, you couldn't play venues. So you go to like a church, you go to the school a buddy, Yeah, high school, a buddy would would rent their neighborhood pool house out and then you just charge and you'd sell. And so Matt was doing and his thing was just getting so like I remember the first time he sold out House of Blues in Chicago. I mean like it was like, so Matt, you know, green Day's manager called him and they started working together.
Speaker 5: So he was kind of doing that.
Speaker 4: I met a guy named Elliott Morris, and Elliott was from Birmingham. He did a big deal with Universal, went on tour with Counting Crows, Griffin House. I connected to a friend of mine that worked in New York. I forget what label she signed Griffin and it was like but I was kind of always the kid that never got signed. It was like I was the kid that never got picked. And so it was really hard for me because I was like, all right, you know, I'm I'm a little insecure about singing. I don't feel you know, I love this world, but it's not a world I came up in. I sort of stumbled and I wanted to be there, but it was like kind of you know, it was like twenty when I decided to do it, so it wouldn't like, you know, my whole life, I'd been like, that's the thing. And so it was a real struggle, like I had some dark knights in the soul of like Lord, like what are we doing?
Speaker 1: I just want to be signed.
Speaker 4: And I remember I'd go meet with labels saying signed.
Speaker 1: Back then, that was the that was all.
Speaker 4: What about you know, the guys who were kind of my same age but were a class above me for sure, where Jason Ras and John May and so I was looking at their thing and it was just popping off. And so all of us guys were like, that's the thing. And so you got to get signed. You got to work with Scott Clayton, you got to do you know, you got to do the thing.
Speaker 5: Reid Hunter was his lawyer and me.
Speaker 4: We're all like, like, you know, please work with you know, and it just but I'd go meet with him and it was just I was like, man, we love it. It's just doesn't And it was like heart soul crushing to me because I was like, I just want but in God's unbelievable, unbelievable kindness and sense of humor. I started to realize something though, because I talked to my friends that would get signed. Bruce ar got signed to a huge Universal deal, or Island Deaf Jam. John got signed to Island Deaf Jam, And it was like every single one of my friends were slowly getting picked off, and I was sort of.
Speaker 1: Like, myself is pretty good. I'll take my shirt off.
Speaker 4: And but what was so crazy about it that I realized that suited me so much more was I'll never forget. Was sitting with one of those friends whose I won't name, but he was like, man, I'm so jealous of you, and I was like, and he had signed this big deal. I was like, why, he said, because I'm in this constant songwriting thing where they're sending me off to write with the Dan Wilsons and everybody, which is great. You put out two records since I've been in my deal and I had to put out a single song and it was like God in that moment was like, Dave, I got you. And it's because I was just going I would was making my think and he was like, I'm just kind of stuck, man, I'm in a big deal.
Speaker 5: It's great, but like you're you're doing it.
Speaker 2: I think that's such a misconception to to people pursuing, right, It's like they think the deal, they think that that's the the the the.
Speaker 1: End all be all, when in reality, it's the starting line. That's right, it's not the finish. It's your entire life to get to this one thing. Yeah, and now you have to even work harder to get that off the ground.
Speaker 5: Well, I think too.
Speaker 4: I mean again, y'all know this intimately, but it's like you also, your career goes from one guy and maybe a manager and maybe a booking agent doing it, and you know, it's just a couple of y'all to now it is. It is a career by committee, and I think people underestimate how and it's not that's not bad. It can it can change. It's changed a lot of people's lives. But it's a it's really different. It's really different, you know you are. Everything's going through numerous channels now to get it okay, and do we like that song? Let's send it around. You may love it, nobody else likes it. You may hate it everybody else loves it. That's almost worse because then like, hey, we want that to be the single, and you're like, I didn't even want to play that for y'all. You know, I love this photo shoot. We didn't like any of the pictures. I hated all the pictures. They love it. It's like everything suddenly is is career by committee, and so I think, what can be you know, to your exactly to your points. You can get to that point where you're like, that's the deal, and then you sign it and you're like, man, I'm strung up now, like I'm hamstrung by all these things again, which it is the big boys like, but you got a ton more money, you got a huge engine behind you, all of a sudden in connections for days.
Speaker 1: You got to get a pumping though.
Speaker 4: But it's like, man, it's no longer you and your bro's playing some songs. It's like it's it's a lot of people who have a lot of opinions.
Speaker 1: So swisch gears real quick.
Speaker 2: What advice would you give to We have a lot of prospective songwriters that listen to this in this day and age, and it's obviously way different.
Speaker 1: Than when we all came up.
Speaker 2: What would how would you advise somebody to try to come to this town and may and break into to professional songwriting or artistry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I'd say sell your body or drugs, and if you can do both, you're really gonna that's where the specifical clientele is. The label head, the label. Yeah, I'm not last, huge huge, huge benefit. No, you know what, I think I've had to learn and I'm learning it right now, so I'm not even it's probably not fair for me to give it an advice because I have to take this advice too. But I think, like it's so cheesy, but it's so true. I think, just do what you know you can do. You know, I think like every writer has got a voice, meaning their songs are a thing, you know, and it's all of your so much colors that you know, it's your interests in songs. It's what you want to say, it's what you don't want to say, it's what you know. It's like where you're from, it's how you're raised saying it's.
Speaker 1: So obvious when you asked a question, and it's so obvious to me. It's so obvious to me what yours is. Because I like when people tell me what mine is, what they think my songs, what they think my voice is.
Speaker 2: I think your voice is. What I've seen it progress into is like wholesome number one, don't take that the wrong way. There's there's a lot of wholesomeness in it, but there's also this like.
Speaker 1: Dash if you will.
Speaker 2: We're sprinkling in of like real muddy Mississippi su Yeah, and there's some funky things that pop in places when you when you when you get into the song, you're like, if we're taking a ride right, you're taking right, You're like, oh, this this road is pretty straight, yeah, pretty, but it's extremely smooth. And then all of a sudden, bam, right turn kind of hits you out of nowhere. Oh and then your back left and then your back smooth again and it's straight and you're kind of you go on this adventure in in in the in the tunes that you write, and it translates across most most everything, even quarterly, I've noticed there's like some interesting movements and uh, I think that's what your mega strong suit is. And those tunes obviously they're written well and they're they're delivered, yeah, perfect. But as far as your voice, man, it's the tunes are just they're exciting to listen to, even the old ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Thanks.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I mean, I wonder if y'all feel this way, but I just think like the best you can be in a writing.
Speaker 5: Room is who you were made, who who.
Speaker 4: All of your instincts, all of your influences, all the things that you really care about, that your point of what you're bringing respect you.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I think what's harder after you've done this for a minute, And I would say even harder after you've had a little bit of successes. You want to keep it, and it's really easy to start jettisoning off the things that make you you because those in certain rooms won't work.
Speaker 1: And you'll feel it and you want to do something to work, and you go, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Want to stay in this range.
Speaker 4: So I'll just kind of so what works, what's on the radio, let me say, let me just smooth over the things that make me stick out here, as opposed to just going you know, all I've got is who I am, and that's going to mean some days are great and then some. I mean, I think some of the most genius songwriters in this town, I've been in rooms where they it was awkwardly bad what they brought. That's only because that is what happens when you're when you are something. I'm gonna have days where I come in and I'm like, I love this idea and people are like, we do not. That is okay, That's that's the other half of someone's skill set. It's just like there's just gonna be days where it's like, I do not like that idea, Dave, and I'm like, okay, I just swing and miss some days, as opposed to tamping down the things so much that it's the most digestible, safe version of yourself. Sure, and that's what you're taking around town, and it's just such a disservice to everything. And I think, honestly, I mean, at the risk of some and whatever, I think it just takes a tremendous faith in the Lord just to go God, I trust you made me to be a certain way, and if I really believe that, then I can live into that. And that means some days I'm gonna swing in this and then some days it's going to be magic. But but that is who I am. And for me to not be who I am, I'm gonna get myself in trouble because if it's sort of like if you think about a map, whatever, if God and I are trying to get to hear and I'm here, uh you know which, but success starts to happen and you start going, well.
Speaker 1: That's my north star.
Speaker 4: But man, success is kind of my friends are. And then you start, oh, I'm gonna go this way, and God's like.
Speaker 1: Who what are we going?
Speaker 4: You're like, well, I just man, I'd like to check and I see what they're doing, see what they're buying, and you're just getting farther from where, and I think it just it's like sometimes this is a lonely place and that's okay, you know, like it's just it's baked into being a human and being a creative is there's just days where you're like, man, I just didn't go I was just wrong. I was off on that day. That was whatever. But it just means the days that work really well because I think one of the hardest. It's funny. I think if we're not careful as writers, we can go like, man, I want to be like the Swiss army knife. I want to be the guy that can do anything. And I'm like, I don't know if I know a guy like that or a girl. I mean, I know people that can do it better than others. But I think if we're all honest, we think of writers in certain ways, we just go like, he's this, he nobody better than that. She that's her thing, Natalie him Bey, maybe the asterisk. I think Natalie can do anything. She's sort of she's just another thing to goly, she's what she is. But I think other than Natalie, I'm kind of like most of us kind of have things we do that are pretty particular, and I think there is a terror in realizing that because you go like, oh, I know the end of me, and it's like right there, but you missed, like and there's other people in town that do that. Oh I know, and you're like, oh my gosh. But it's discounting what God is doing, which is like, brother, you're going to be so happy if you will, if you will let go of those things, be who you are. Trust me, it's because then the way you go is the way you can. That's the thing I have to tell people all the time.
Speaker 1: Young writers. I'm like, let me tell you.
Speaker 4: The worst thing that ever happened to you is you is you get known for something you're not good at, because then you got.
Speaker 5: To keep being good at something you aren't good at.
Speaker 2: At least, yeah, at least you feel like you do. You got to keep it well. You work harder on the facade than you do.
Speaker 5: And it's so your craft and terrifying.
Speaker 2: I see that all the time, especially with artists that get up there and they dress it all up with some I'm sorry to say this, but like choreographed dance.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, hey, bro, that works once. Bro, Like, you got to keep it going. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You've got to keep it going, and and and and and it's it's a career built on Like I feel like a career builds on who you are and what you're inspired by. Is so much easier to stay in connection with than this one little gimmicky thing that you came up with. And not to say that anything either way is right or wrong. It's fine if you want to do the gimmick thing, but you better have a strong bit, you know, yeah, because I mean, especially if you want a long career, yeah, or find your way, find a way to reinvent yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and then that's the other thing is I think those people sometimes can pull that off because they kind of go, Okay, that was my little thing. Now I got another thing, and I'm like, man, props if you pull that off, that's awesome. I had a thought the other day that was really funny. Everybody I meet in Nashville I work with is the is the guy in the town there from Everybody talks about like, you know, you know those guys you know from here, well one more than the other. Well I'm not gonna say, but but you know what I mean, Like, everybody that I work with in this town is the guy that a girl that moved from where they moved from. That everybody there is like, oh I know them, well, yeah, they are the they're the export. And I think, like when I think about that, it's actually really fun and exciting because it's like, man, to get to be in an All Star game. Every day that I write with people is so awesome.
Speaker 1: And like to that point too, it's like, yeah, I mean, we're not competing with each other, but we kind of are, and it's kind of a game and it's kind of not but it's kind of fun and it's kind of not you.
Speaker 4: And I think it's necessary to really do. I think again, it's a sport, like the competitive You look and you go, God, he's been working on hitting. I didn't work on hitting. I need to work on hitting. I mean, it's like I think it makes the best art. I mean again, that's why I just listened to the book on the Beatles. Wich is why they're so top of mind. But I mean, that's what made those two guys so good is they they had each other to compete with. And I think, you know, I think it really informs and helps. That's why I love those people succeeding. It's because it raises the bar, you know, for every single those people get and have do well or y'all or whoever. It's like, Okay, this is where we got to keep going.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 4: It's like it's just it's everything is this good. This is the level, you know, and so it's good, but it's just really hard. And I think in my in my insecurity, if I'm not careful, I can really spiral on feeling like and I just you know all that say. I just wish sometimes is town do a little bit of job of just being braver, of going like, hey man, don't.
Speaker 1: Try to be everybody else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like the reason we signed you is because you do this thing so well, Like let's do that.
Speaker 5: Really well, you know. And that may mean you know, I'm never.
Speaker 4: Gonna that I'll make the town the best, yeah, but but also it means intrinsically, which you have to deal with. It's like, this is the work we got to do. Is like I'm never going to have that many hits.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not gonna win.
Speaker 5: You're not gonna win that.
Speaker 4: But and that and that is okay, but mean more, they can they mean different things.
Speaker 2: I mean, because if your your path is not the same path as someone else, that's right, but it still has value, it still has worth, and you can stuff a great lot.
Speaker 4: You are well and that's and that's the thing that's you said that so well that's that. Those are those moments of clarity where I feel like the Holy Spirit, you know, God will just be like okay, Dave, like, so, what what do we miss him? But what do you what do you need? And I'm like, well, I just need me.
Speaker 5: People think I'm great.
Speaker 1: And he's like, I.
Speaker 4: Feel like people like you. And I'm like, well then I need, like Lord, I need like, uh some stuff. And he's like, okay, Like what stuff. He's like, you got a house do you live in? And you got kids? And and I'm like, you know what, Lord, I just feel like every time the Lord comes like okay, let's do it. We'll do it again if you need to it. I I do my part.
Speaker 5: So Dave, what is it you need?
Speaker 4: And I do like and I need awards and I need like sales and singles.
Speaker 1: And he's like, okay, go get go get a cup of coffee.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like my dad, you say, and then what well I need? Well then what what? Why do you need those?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: Some people will like like me or respect me. He's like, so, I mean, do you feel like they don't. I'm like no, and he's like, well, then that's the end of that. What else I need money? What do you need money for to buy? What stuff do you need? I'm just like, it's just and then what like, where's this coming? It's in and so that's the goal. It's never it's never satiated.
Speaker 2: And we know comparison is the thief fault of George oh Man and the world doesn't help that. You know, sometimes we just need to and I have to do this myself, especially when my son comes up and slash me on the face when I'm looking at my phone. You know, it's like what am I really? What am I doing with my time?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And and am I am I busy bitching about something that if I was playing trucks with my three year old, I wouldn't even know existingly.
Speaker 5: You know, this is the thing.
Speaker 4: Everything in your life is actually trying to get you to play trucks with your kid. Literally, everything that you're doing in your life is so that you can do that.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 4: Literally, if you sat down and went, Okay, why don't need money? Why don't it's literally because I want to be with the people I love, doing what I love. And that's actually it, And that's what God had to tell me. That's all you're doing. You're doing it. How can you say you need something when you're doing the thing that's at the end of the circle.
Speaker 2: And ultimately the most rewarding thing in life to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and ultimately what you loved and what you pursued in the in the beginning of all this allowed you to do that, you know is allowing.
Speaker 3: You to do that.
Speaker 4: I had this moment I was pushing, like this is years ago, pushing my oldest uh he was probably around the same age too, something like that, And I was so in my head. I mean, I couldn't have been deeper in my head. We had just gone on the playground and and it was like a you know, Tuesday or whatever. And he was was she's a pharmacist, she was working the time that day, and so I had been and I man, I was at the bottom of the spiral. It was like, nothing's working. God, why can't why can't you just bless this stuff? Make the stuff? And literally, I mean short of the voice of God. I remember where I was. It was in front of Rector's house when he lived on my same street, and I was pushing the stroller and he said, why do you want all this stuff?
Speaker 1: And I said, because I just want to be like home.
Speaker 4: Put it in playing my kids, so I be home with my kids and my family. And literally he goes, Dave, what are you doing? And I was like, I think I'm good man. I think he's gonna keep But it was like it was a real moment for me. It's like, it's all we're trying to do is play trucks with our kids.
Speaker 5: All we're trying to do.
Speaker 4: And if I'm getting that, like what, what's It's just like I'm so sorry God, but yeah, those those I mean, I just kids. To me, it's like such a different talk about so many things you can't control, oh, and that you can't. I'll tell you what's funny. I wonder if you'll have seen this and they're just like, oh don't oh man, just the amount of uncaring music wise, though, let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 4: It has been really interesting in mine that I play them songs now like all the time, and and I love getting their opinion on stuff. It's it's because mine are eighth grade or upcoming eighth grade, Oh yeah, you can tap it, fifth grade and third their borderline democrats, Oh bro, that's it. And it's been really funny when I when I'll get Demo's Backory Moan Tunes.
Speaker 1: That was my three year old.
Speaker 4: It's literally well, this was something I wanted to hear, a new Daddy song.
Speaker 1: That's what she said.
Speaker 4: This is something I learned. So I did this whole other thing. Left talked about it. I did a year and a half where I just listened to Beatles music and made a record Beatles to tour with. I don't want to get back together.
Speaker 2: I don't want to sell you.
Speaker 1: I don't like them.
Speaker 2: I think we talked about overrated bands.
Speaker 1: Sorry, we talk about bands that the world loves that you necessarily don't. I'm okay with that. Okay, that's my number one with and I'm the same way. But the respect the game. Here's the thing. I don't think it's bad. We never you shn't like them, We never. We never delved in for a year and a half on them either.
Speaker 2: Something I don't want.
Speaker 5: I did a year and a half of that.
Speaker 2: But that'd be like me listening to Day.
Speaker 1: For a year and a half.
Speaker 5: I dare you please do?
Speaker 1: I did from like I've already been there, touch the show.
Speaker 4: It's a whole lot of conversation, but I just listened that for year and a half, made a record, wrote and produced a record by myself called Feather Brain, Wealth Motel. That's my sort of like tribute to the Beatles, but my thing. I learned a million things from them in that year and a half from the Beatles, but one of the things was, I mean, it was a huge takeaway for me was I think a huge reason that their music is so universally loved is because kids love it. Because I'm not kidding, that was the only music listening to. I literally, that's only so if the kids were in the car with me, that's what we listened to. And I was amazed we'd listened to a song. It became a little game i'd do just to myself, where I turn it off and it let it be still, and they would sing first time they hear a song, they'd be singing it immediately, and I went, well, hold on now, oh oh, So to your point about demo, they're a demo. They're a demographic for the Beatles. And so then I was like, oh, I've been missing because I would I've always thought about music as being my music is being like, oh, it's gonna be a little more elevated. So I'm okay if kids don't like it, I'm not trying to do that. But that that year and a half for me was like, oh, I may have been getting the strong and so now because because I got they listened to beg can y'all sing that to me and be like you know us job every fields forever? And I was like, good, lord man, and that's a weird song. That's not even one of the ones you like yell summer you make sense. But yeah, So it made me start playing songs for my kids, and so much of that record there were numerous songs that I added because they were like I love that, dad, really, or even more, I would just do that thing where I'd turn the radio, I'd play my vers I'd be working on it. I'd be like and i'd hear them singing. I'd be like, all right, like check that's going in there. And with demos and stuff now too.
Speaker 2: So as a connoisseur for me, yeah, a guy, listen, I bet if we listed out one hundred bands that we love, yeah, ninety eight of them would be the same.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well all these records I'm like, it makes me so happy.
Speaker 1: So what what are the song? What would you advise a guy? Because I'll do it because I want to understand it. Yeah, and part of me enjoys the plight of under understand why someone works. Yeah, what what records would you advise me to dive in on?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I think more than the records, what I would say is a couple of things you talked about just beatles be Yeah, Okay, I think context for them is a big deal because I think you have to understand that.
Speaker 5: Man, you have.
Speaker 4: Asked such a loaded question, But I love the ass.
Speaker 2: Give me a quick because we're already in.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: They literally started so many things, so this will be crazy, y'all. There really wasn't and hadn't been ever in the history of the world. Uh, a songwriting duo that were teenagers that wrote songs together that.
Speaker 5: We're not professionals.
Speaker 4: So literally, Lennona McCartney arguably were the first people to ever not be Tenpan or Tenpan Alley or what's the one in New York that the bro building that was the thing. They were the first kids to ever kind of go like, hey, we're going to start writing songs together.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 4: If you talk to any and I really mean any, I'll say literally any artists from the next generation. So the Springsteenes, the Stings, the John Fogerties, Elton John, you name Michael McDonald, you name an artist, I'm ninety percent sure that they will tell you. The reason they started playing music was because of Beatles, because it was brand new. When they went on the Ed Sullivan Show, literally, people were like.
Speaker 5: This is the wait, we can do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Memos, I know those guys like those are guys I went to school with, you know, like can I write my own songs? They talk about guitar sales and stuff. After that, like it started popular music. Wow, because they that was not a pedigree like you can. I've listened to interviews with Fogerty, with Sting, they will tell you our archetype was Buddy Holly. He was an anomaly because he was a little bit like that. But it was Elvis and Frank Sinatra, so you had to be good looking, you didn't sing your own songs. They were the first people that ever went not only I mean they were.
Speaker 2: So they were the six seventies, sixties, seventies Nirvana.
Speaker 4: They were and so not only did they start that, they arguably started genres of music because had there ever really been hard rock before Helter Skelter, Not really, had there ever been.
Speaker 5: Productions. They literally started production in the studio.
Speaker 4: So I think to understand why they're so pointed, that's not even dealing with their music yet, it's that they started on stage monitoring shows. Music shows had never been as big as the shows they played, so it created an industry for mega cons TV. Music on TV was not seen as viable until the Beatles, and then it was extremely important to everybody following to get their bands on TV. Wow, you know, magazines are started movies about musicians now that I have happened some with Elvis, but the Beatles blew that wide open. So they were just the first, Like contracts were being written that had never been written before because there had never been that much money. So when they came to the scene. But now that's one thing, quickly, the music.
Speaker 1: I just started the beginning.
Speaker 5: You have to started the beginning.
Speaker 4: But musically what they were doing was so unbelievably intense that there's a really cool thing if you can find it, it's on YouTube. Of he was a really famous composer at the time. You know his name, that's him Beethoven. He'd come back, but I can't with the guy's name. That's so embarrassing. But he did a special I think it was on CBS or NBC where he literally sat with this major network and said, we're going to talk about the Beatles for thirty minutes. And this is when they were like, I think this was like Rubber Soul or the Earth. This is way before you know, all the really cool crazy stuff. And he was and this guy literally says, you have to understand, we are witnessing one of the greatest musical moments in the history of time with these two kids, like what they're doing musically, and he said at the piano will be like, this is obscene what they're why would you do that?
Speaker 5: Like, and they're just going under this is what we really it's fun and.
Speaker 1: So that's really good. That's really too.
Speaker 4: I think just musically, this is what I did with a lot of my friends because they were always like, why are you on and on about this?
Speaker 5: And they love the Beatles.
Speaker 4: I was like, just like, pick five of their songs starting really like Sergeant pepper On and learn them and I promise you you'll go wait wait, wait wait wait it does what?
Speaker 1: And they were doing that as teenagers.
Speaker 4: Whoa, well, they're that song changes keys three times and I know, I mean like with a Penny Lane, it does the walk down and it turns turns the one major into a one minor for the core. You know, you're just like what And that is the tip of the iceberg for those guys. So I think musically what they did is they just took everything in stretch. They were just like, this is what we're gonna make pop music now. And nobody was like, oh, like, you can have a wholly orchestrated song. Eleana Rigby be a pop song with nothing but a vocal and strings like that.
Speaker 5: That wasn't a thing. So I think, like, I think what was fun for me?
Speaker 4: And this is the best way to end this thought as a songwriter was going oh no, no, no, Like I love being in Nashville.
Speaker 5: I love it. I've learned.
Speaker 4: But if anything, if I'm not careful, it's constricted how I think about right, It's okay because sometimes you know you're trying to do a fixed thing. But they just it was like if I had six colors i'd bring into a co write, and even especially with my own music, they were like, brother, we're talking about three hundred bucks Crayola, like have fun with this. Get weird because all that they wanted to do is if it's good, it justifies itself. Whatever you've done to make it good doesn't matter because it's good. And so if you want to change the tempo, change the key, uh, stop the song in the middle, like if it's good, nobody will care. And I think that was really interesting to me, be like I love those rules. Those rules make me really happy because then it goes from like a little bit well and I think just you know, because I mean, you know, I've said this. I will sit in rooms where I'm like that feels like too much, why are we doing that? Or whatever? It turned that on its head. I mean, yesterday I wrote and we we changed the key in the bridge, and it was I was that's only because I was like, hey, what if we and the guys like, well, let's do that, and it was like this is weird and awesome, you know, but I think that you know, you think of that sort of lineage of thought and you're like, oh man, I want to keep that alive.
Speaker 1: I want to keep this.
Speaker 4: You look at the guys like Marcus Hummon, that brother's doing that. I mean, when you learn his songs, you're like, wait, what is that chord?
Speaker 1: Why? Oh he changed the key in the middle of verse.
Speaker 4: You know, whatever is happening, you know, I think it's that that's the school I want that I really hear or two that I want to keep going, especially my artistry.
Speaker 5: But I also think, but I think they just for me.
Speaker 4: It was like, I know this sounds probably weird, but I bought two pictures. Really cool that you can go to these sites and buy like originals, like like somebody takes the film and they keep printing from the original film, and one of them is a picture of them from their h what's the Sergeant Pepper release party? And then one is from when they were filming help the movie. And I just and I know this sounds crazy, but I keep in my room just because I want to. I want to see that. I want to remember, like that's always a possibility, Like you can get weird shop.
Speaker 2: And it takes you back to being eighteen, nineteen years old, and.
Speaker 1: Oh that's it.
Speaker 4: That's that that that's the best way I can explain it. When I made that record, it literally felt like every time I went to my room, I was like, cook it up, let's see what happens today.
Speaker 5: Because it wasn't like man to keep it here.
Speaker 4: It was like, in fact, I was like, no, no, we're trying to explode the box every moment of every song. And so making the records really fun because I kind of had this checklist of things in my brain. I actually wrote them down, but it was like, Okay, it has to at least change the key once, change the tempo, at at least a chord. Some this is a crazy stat something like if they wrote I'm Gonna get the Strong, but it's close. They wrote one hundred and eighty eight songs that they released to whatever, one hundred and sixty of them change key or have a chord that's not appropriate for the key there in interesting, that's twenty songs that don't or like whatever, thirty songs. So you just kind of go, like, man, the world's your oyster. Just like go, if it's good, creatifies itself. Yeah, if it's good, it doesn't need a reason to do what it did.
Speaker 2: And I like that if it's good, it stands on its own.
Speaker 4: It does, man, And I think that's what's so fun about learning, like physically learning their songs, because I bought books that I put around the house of their chords and I would just go, Okay, I want to learn this today.
Speaker 5: And I'm telling you, I'd go.
Speaker 1: Do you have kids?
Speaker 5: I do. I don't see it much.
Speaker 2: You have a lot of a lot more time than I have.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, that's a whole other conversation, but it's you're a bad dad. I was in prison for a couple of weeks. I'm about it.
Speaker 1: Shoot a movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I would just find myself, like if I got stuck, I'd go, Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna learn Loosing the Sky with Diamonds and dude, that song will split your brain in half. What's happening that you don't know is happening. And that's their genius to me, is that you are just sitting there enjoying the whole thing, and they're going, I've added nine chords in the last three bars. You didn't even realize were happening. Because the melody is so amazing.
Speaker 2: You got me. It's context helps for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, the conversion of me is it's it really is learning the songs because I think once you get them under your hands and you start looking at going like, oh my god, that's that chord.
Speaker 1: That's that chord. I can do that, you can do Oh they did this.
Speaker 4: It's a it is a mind f I mean, it's like it's really fun. And I think especially I've encouraged all my writing friends to do it, especially guys who've done it for a while, because I think it's just easy to get into those things a writer where you're like, well, this is you know, this multool box and.
Speaker 1: It's great and that's what I bring every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it just for me, it just it just deconstructed that whole thing. It was like, no, man, why don't you have a knife and a putty knife and then throw a paintbrush in there, butt some tape.
Speaker 5: I was like, yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 1: You know, cool glad to ask let to ask you actually not, you know, try it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try. I'm gonna try it out, I really am. I'm gonna try it and if I can't make it through it, I'll I'll say, hey, man, I can't make this through And then you go oh try this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's it's yeah.
Speaker 2: You also made me want to write songs with you, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should do it. Hey, what's next for Dave Bars? Dude? What you what you got coming? What I got going on?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: I mean coffee podcast time? Out?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: Are you good for a little while? You gotta go somewhere? Okay, we're good.
Speaker 4: Well we love right, shout out a right, give.
Speaker 1: Me a sound? Right, I'm that one beats a neck. Give give David sound. That's fair.
Speaker 4: That's the sound of all the people plappick at my shows. Oh that was good. I appreciate that. I like that he took his time. Yeah, google that, I think so right now, I've been, I've been. This has been really fun actually, and I've been encouraging all of my writer friends to do this that can sing, because y'all can. This has been such a fun project and I'm not telling you I'm ken y'all. I've been encouraging my friends to do it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I wanted to put out music this year, but I'm working on kind of my second Beatles inspired thing. But it's I'm just I'm letting it kind of marinate. The first one. It was a blitzkrieg. I was just like, let's go this one. I'm kind of having more fun and taking my time with it.
Speaker 5: And I did.
Speaker 4: And I'm not sure that the DSPs are the way I want to release the strecord, because it's a whole thing, and I feel like people are a little more picky about wanting to hear a song at a time or you know, singles or whatever, where this is like, you know, you're dropping like twelve songs and someone's like.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's a lot. So I was like, all right, how can I release songs this year? And I was like, you know what?
Speaker 4: And I wanted to keep the budget like crazy low because you know, it's just trying to get spindled Spotify so hard for me at least, and.
Speaker 2: You can keep it.
Speaker 4: And so what I did is I was like, you know what I'm do. I'm going to like, you know, splunk my writer catalog and find all those songs that I was always like, why didn't they cut down?
Speaker 5: And I cut them?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so this year what I've done is every month I've released a song that it's and It's gonna waterfall, as we call the artist world, and a album called the songs that got away and it's and it's just once a month has been songs that like, you know, I wrote for somebody and loved it and they just didn't never get around a cutting, and I've cut them and it has been so much fun.
Speaker 1: That's fun. It's fun because you love these songs.
Speaker 4: Y'all know, everybody's got probably twenty or thirty of those over your career where you're like, man, and it just feels kind of vindicating. You're like, well, at least now it's out in the world and people can hear it.
Speaker 1: You know, I like it.
Speaker 4: And the way you keep the budget down, which has been really cool, is like one either I've just done all this stuff in my spot and you know it's just done and there it is, or you know you already sang on it, you got the demo and so I just go to the producer like, hey, let's just do it, but just talk about a piece of the you know, the master and everybody's been awesome, like yeah, man, just like give me a piece of that. And because it's already done, it's not like I got to work on it.
Speaker 5: I get a missed. But it's been so fun.
Speaker 4: It's been really cool to kind of see, yeah, that's cool, and I think she is an artist. Is fun because some of them are like not my vibe at all, you know, And I think it's fun for people that listen to kind of go oh, yeah, it's cool to hear you kind of sing a song like that, like one of them. I wrote a song Maggie Rose and talk about a vote.
Speaker 1: Home Mama Monster. That shick is. She was one of the first. She was literally one of the first people I ever saw play a like a listening room show.
Speaker 4: And that'll mess that was that a mistake thing? I was like, let's get on back to Weston's. Like in the car before she's done, you're just crying. You told me I was good enough right into the elderly home. Like you again, You're like, there's only place I need to do this.
Speaker 1: I don't get hit the spot and not kill anybody.
Speaker 4: Sign that shows that that was here a little black but but like hers like this is what's so fun about it? So it was written very specific, specifically about a moment in her life. Uh, but I love the tune and I was like, God, can I make that? So I changed like a couple of lyrics, and then I pitched the guitar because I love the guitar take down four steps, like whole steps. But I kept the guitar cause I was like, I kind of love the part and I like that it sounds a little weird.
Speaker 5: So it's just things like that.
Speaker 4: They're like, oh, that's that's like a weird color to hear it sound like that, but so you know, and then I had dug or play like some steel on. It's just it's so fun. It just kind of go like, sounds creative, how gonna, well it's and it's just like you know, man, it's just like getting things out is so therapeutic, just like let's release it and just go and go as opposed to feeling like so I've been doing those and then uh yeah, just writing. I mean, I think the thing I'm working on this season of my life with my writing life, it's like what I said, I just really want to I want to be able to be the best version of which the God. This is nauseating to hear myself say I want to be the best visional by his health every day. But I think it's it takes for me a lot of discipline if I'm not careful. It's it's not always easy to be who I'm supposed to be, because I think when you're with such unbelievably gifted people every day, it's it's easy to kind of find myself leaning and tilting a little listing a little bit that way, and just to go, you know, I just want to I want to bring myself fully to these and some days that's going to be great, and then some days it's not. And that's okay as opposed to trying to be the safe middle of it, like compressing everything to the place you're like that feels most digestible, experience the highs and the lows, yes, and being totally okay with them. That's right, as opposed to feeling like I don't know and I've seen, you know. One of the good things about Instagram to me is I've had more and more and I don't follow any of them, but I'll have more and more. Songwriter podcasts pop up, and it's just so I'm always so like John Bellyan was on and the Writer Is, which I love that podcast, and he was just like, oh man, I hear so many no's and it's just hearing that you're like, you know, if this guy who is just a monster is hearing that, then I'm going to hear that too, Like, don't take it so personally.
Speaker 2: I think that's part. You have to understand that that's not an opposition. It's more of just part of the business and the and the journey that you're on. It's like, I mean, I have a I have a few writers that I kind of help along the way. And I got a text that and he was like, well, I think I know what this means, you know, And I.
Speaker 1: Said, well, yeah, but that all.
Speaker 2: That is is a step, like you don't have to take that and change what you're doing because of what someone else said, Like you just have to keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 4: That's right and and those songs find the right places. And that was what Bellian said. That thought was really cool. I think he said something like it's like a no for now. You know, it's not a no forever, just for now, and it'll find its place, meaning like obviously that no from that person, no, but the song needs to keep going around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that song still living.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right because you never know, you know, but every and I think that's the thing is that everybody.
Speaker 5: I'll say this in conclusion.
Speaker 4: I don't know if anybody's ever said this, but I think the thing that's so tricky about what we do as a songwriter, you think of any other job. I was laughing with with my buddy about this the other day, and he's a he's a therapist, and he was like, so, what is it like being a songwriter? I was like, all right, imagine this today. When you go in too meet with the guy, your guy girl that you're meeting with the council, it's you and another friend of yours who's a therapist, and another friend of yours is a therapist, and you're a you're all helping this person, but it's three of y'all, and then the next day it's going to be another one person and y'all are And I was like, so a couple of things happen if that's true. One, you've got to sort of divvy your thing up with somebody else, still same direction, but you're also before you go on, you're probably catching up and at some point, inevitably they're going to talk about something that's working for them, and not because they're being braggadocious, but because that's true and it's what you talk about, and so they're gonna go, oh man, we just signed on and we open our practice in Joelton and you go and we got three or four therapists and you're like what man, and then boom you're on and then now you're there and the next day you got another guy and what are you doing? Oh man, dude, this is crazy. We just got a spot in thirty A and you're like, god, the other one now. And I said, our job is this weird? And he laughs already He's like, I've never He's like, I counsel a lot art. I've never thought about that. I was like, well, just to give you some sympathy for songwriters, we do this weird thing that no other genre does, or no other I think job probably does. Where you are every day working with someone different that you're in competition with, but not that day. And it is a mind f if you're not careful, so good because every day and again, a couple of things are going to happen. You're going to be in you you going to sit in someone's glory. You're gonna sit and watch someone do what they do incredibly well you're gonna again catch up which is you need to do. I'm never in a room with somebody I'm like, dude, you're gotta be in a jerk. I'm like, I asked you how it's going, and you said, man, this has been tough. This has been good. But what's hard about what's good is it's the same thing I'm trying to do.
Speaker 1: So you know, just for me, it's what's good for you is.
Speaker 4: And I think what's crazy about our job? It's like that's every day And I think sometimes people are like, man, why why do you feel like that's so hard? I'm like, it's it is hard in some really unique, bizarre ways because I'm not just sitting with someone who's really good at what I do every day. I'm hearing how that thing is changing their life and what's great about that and the things that they're acquiring, are going to do or living in Spain for the summer or whatever. And it's just you got to have this weird like vulnerability with armor.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, so it's just a it's a weird I have to do that with and.
Speaker 2: You have to drop it at the door when you walk out of.
Speaker 1: That and that's it.
Speaker 4: If you have to do it, if you take that lot, and you're gonna do it again, Amar, And so I think it's just I think I have to I have to work on that. I really have to be careful that I don't take in I mean, you said it so well. I don't take in the wrong things, that I don't leave with the wrong things, and that takes work for me. Some days it's just going, like, you know, because I love everybody, I mean, I'm so thankful to do this, to sit in rooms with all stars every day. But I think I'm I'm very fickle and not think that's gonna start to barnacle on you a little bit where you start carrying that weight and then you know, six months later you're like.
Speaker 1: I hate everything. I want you to lose and.
Speaker 4: Every week, So you know, I think that's that's what I'm trying to have discipline about these days, which I think as I've gotten older, GUIDs, it's getting a little easier and I'm less like I feel like I'm a little less like that than.
Speaker 1: That's great stuff, But that's great stuff that's still there. We got to get out of here. That was fun. That was fun. Please come back.
Speaker 2: You gotta do the graverite you please come back so much we didn't even.
Speaker 1: Can you do it?
Speaker 4: Well, this is the problem too. I'm too talkative. I'm not that's podcast like, well thirty minutes. I'm like, you think it's thirty minutes, just.
Speaker 2: Like, oh that was I mean I was in the whole time.
Speaker 5: It was this.
Speaker 4: You guys are at the weird like then diagram of so many things that I love. And so when you come on and I was like, I don't think they understand what they're getting into. Have you ever caught a fish in your life? Yes, there's some outdoors for you.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, there's.
Speaker 1: There's like ten thousand hunters out there listening. It's like, what is he going to talk about?
Speaker 7: Turn?
Speaker 1: They just got it right there. How was turkey you've been doing? Like you me a turkey call? Yeah, turkey turkey?
Speaker 2: Well that thing?
Speaker 1: That thing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this would last time the first time? Don't was that good?
Speaker 1: It's too much? What is that?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: That's probably North Arkansas? Yep, that's now, that's little John and it does between.
Speaker 1: All right, give him that guitar. Play us a song outlays a song.
Speaker 5: Here's what I'm here's what I'm gonnahow y'all.
Speaker 2: How did I know you were gonna have something to say, like a song, play your favorite man?
Speaker 1: What you're gonna do? You mean to hold the phone for you to see the court?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I got, I got. If you do, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You may know this one.
Speaker 2: Oh he's gonna play his song.
Speaker 1: Oh you ain't play somebody else song? No, do this one?
Speaker 2: This one, this one moved me this morning, I'll say, I'll say this. And the reason it did is because when it was a giant hit, I was like, that's very that's awesome, and and it hit me even then. It was an impactful song. But I have not heard this song probably five or six years, definitely since i've I've well, it's been longer on that because I don't know that I've really listened with my ears, listening without kids and stuff in the car to it in probably ten years.
Speaker 1: And it hit me different.
Speaker 2: Because I'm married now and I occasionally get nope, not she nope, no, don't you said that? But every now and then the it gets a little heavy. Marriage gets a little heavy, if I'm being completely honest and marrible. Yeah, and it, and it honestly awoke a little thing in me that that and maybe you can call this God, you can call it whatever you want. That was like, it's time to treasure your wife, attit. It's time to get back to realizing what a gift that she actually is to you, because I think we get so caught up in the like keeping everybody alive, that we completely miss out on the fact that when you first met this person, they were an absolute treasure and they still are. They are still she still is that treasure. I just need to do a better job of valuing that. And I plan on I plan on putting that to practice here lately. And it's because of this, dude. And I'm serious, Come on, many get you blessed?
Speaker 3: Play I play it boy.
Speaker 8: I've been a working hide, I've made a mess, mean.
Speaker 1: Person that I've been lately. I want to be, but stay right this side.
Speaker 8: I jest on those two and I God gaming for you, absent.
Speaker 1: God gave me for the teaser.
Speaker 6: Kid, well aything, I I was rowing there the words left to see.
Speaker 7: God gave me.
Speaker 1: Dave craz You can just think, Somers, can you do it? Come on, we got time. Let me even sing that's the one that got me.
Speaker 7: Boy, the one.
Speaker 1: Whist to find conspiracy J and Ange and loved me somehow.
Speaker 3: For me, It'll.
Speaker 8: Always be the last great by I'll be the flattered through the.
Speaker 1: US more happened.
Speaker 6: God gave me for the ups and down, can gave me all the days of all sounds so good?
Speaker 3: I think? Know what's just say?
Speaker 7: Shot? God game me. I only came on this show.
Speaker 1: Gotta tell you last thing.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite things about that song is John Singleton about once a year, for like three or four years after that song came out, it just text me a one word.
Speaker 5: Tethered, and he'd be like.
Speaker 1: How in the heck I just that word?
Speaker 4: Literally, I just get a random Every time you would hear it basical on the radio, they'll just be just be tethered and it would be like, I still don't understand that you got that song.
Speaker 1: John hangs on. He'll hang on to a word.
Speaker 4: If you get a word in a song, then he's he'll hang on to.
Speaker 2: You know what drives him nuts about ours. We had a song called kind of Love We Make and there's a it's this passion.
Speaker 1: In the hook, passion, passion, passion, it's just one word.
Speaker 5: Don't you love that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Hey, you're I hate that. I don't know you more than I even know. Come back you come back? Well you kidding? And tell give your podcast a plug?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, dad, Bill, Yeah, so we you just left this up so kind of So John McLoughlin and Buddy we mentioned.
Speaker 1: About they got in my earlier.
Speaker 4: I have to itches I'm not gonna have any uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So we we just have people on.
Speaker 4: It's it's funny because it started as like a dad you know, we had dads on obviously, but it's been fun over the last couple years. Hey, now we have more and more moms come on, and that's been obviously extremely value.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so it's really great.
Speaker 4: It's I feel so much sympatico with you guys because it's like it's not the main thing we do, but it's something we love to do, and it because it's such a fun hobby.
Speaker 5: We we just love doing it.
Speaker 4: I mean we we especially when we have what we call like pros on where it's like somebody who's written a book on like childhood development or like anxiety and children or whatever. Those are the ones that are yeah, because it's like you're just quiet, you let them talk.
Speaker 7: OK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know I keep doing this.
Speaker 2: I know this is super long.
Speaker 1: Just give us.
Speaker 2: Can you give us give us two dad tips that you've learned out of your research.
Speaker 4: No, that's it, Thanks for asking that. Pro tip dad tips, Yeah, pro tip. So I think one is you can never uh, you can never take your kids farther than you've gone yourself with yourself. So so the work that we do on ourselves, like getting better, getting healthy, knowing our strengths and our weaknesses, whatever that work is, uh, that's as far as we can take our kids too. So in other words, like if we don't do that work on ourselves, that's as far as we can go with our kids.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And so I think for me, we had a therapist come on and say that, and I think about that quote so much, like and it's so motivating to me to get to know, like why do I struggle to write?
Speaker 5: Why am I mad at my wife?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 4: Like I need to know this stuff, like Lord, help me with this, therapist, help me with this, like because I can't offer things to my kids and I don't know myself. And I think especially man, as we get older and our kids really start to have opinions.
Speaker 5: And once they get out of the house and they come back in.
Speaker 4: And they go, hey, I've been in the world for a minute, the world says, and I'm walking back in here and it feels different than when I left. And I think I know some reasons why it's a little tricky for me in this house sometimes interesting.
Speaker 5: I gotta be able.
Speaker 4: I have to be able to know my kid because they will say this to me someday, They'll say, hey, you know you do a couple things like this, and it's tough. If I don't know that about myself, that becomes a fight. And how could you be that disrespectful? You don't talk to you, How are you going to tell me? But if I know, oh, man, no, I'm so sorry I do that. I do that, and I know I do that because I've done the work to know I do it. But if I don't know that that, that's a beef that may never get resolved. And that's where you see kids like I don't want to be here anymore, man, because if I can't tell you what's true about you.
Speaker 1: I don't understand you.
Speaker 4: If you don't know what's true about yourself and I'm having to tell you what's true about yourself.
Speaker 5: That's not my job as a kid. That's your job, Dad, that's your job.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 5: So I think that's one and I think the.
Speaker 4: Other thing is just apologizing man like as a parent, like when you're wrong, tell your kids you're wrong, like just and tell them you're sorry, like say I'm sorry and have them say I forgive you.
Speaker 5: Like that's that's big stuff.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: But I think that's something that anting out we really work on that. It's like, how do you how do like we're wrong, square up with your kids?
Speaker 5: Like get down?
Speaker 4: Then, hey, buddy, come here, Like daddy got mad, he yelled at you, and that's my fault, you understand.
Speaker 5: Will you tell daddy? You know, it's like hearing your kid for giving you is like some horful stuff.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, man.
Speaker 4: So I think that those two things have been That's where I feel like, you know, you guys may feel this way with this by gas, but like it's a cheat code for me and John because like you know what you in wisdom like that, It's like it's like that's some valuable stuff. All one of the guys of like Silly Fun podcast. Yea, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: My daughter dropped her lego set the other day and she went back and her she was so upset about it so much.
Speaker 1: She's six. She went back in their back in the back room.
Speaker 2: And normally I would have been like, hey, come on, its legos, forget about cut up?
Speaker 1: How dogs?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And uh, because you gotta start choke hazard if you don't choking hands apparently. So I go back to her room and I said, you know what, I'm gonna try to handle this differently. And I think it was just impressive. God, just don't don't be the mad dad. Maybe try to get on her level for a second.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I walked back there and I sat on her bed and she was literally just in there crying, and I just put my arms out and.
Speaker 1: She hug me, and I said, hey, I got an idea.
Speaker 2: What what if What if I help you build it back? I said, we'll make it better. She sits back and goes, it was perfect the way it was, Daddy. I don't want better, I just want it the way it was.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, And she said, why are you grabbing your guitar?
Speaker 1: Just give me one.
Speaker 2: I did write that down my phone. Don't even think about it, but think about what that means. Man, I don't want better, I just want it the way it was. It was such a reflective moment in my life as far as like what I asked for all the time when all she really needed was a little help, a little support, and we're back on the horse.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: And I think if I can give any advice at all, sometimes like we tough dads need to kind of put that, put it down for a minute and just get on their level.
Speaker 1: Literally, I literally I saw the same thing, and and it said. The thing is like, next time that your kid is screaming and losing her mind, throwing a tantrum on the ground, it's easy to go, hey, get up, Come on, we don't act like that. Get up when literally they can't hear you. Yeah, because inside their brain won their screaming verbally, but inside their brain it's chaos.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What was compelling to me though, was that how much that meant to her, even though in real life I'm up here thinking about bills, not keeping my kids alive. I mean literally, if you're not on they can die at this point, you know, Like anyway and she was hurting over dropping her Lego set.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 2: It opened my eyes that even the little things to them are huge things and we should treat those things.
Speaker 1: As bro That lego set turns into a broken heart, that lego set turns into a job. And if she can't come to you in a moment of pain and and and fill your arms around her, where's she gonna go?
Speaker 4: Well, And that's that's something that same therapist said that said about you can only go as far as you know, take kids as far as you've gone. He said, one of the questions your kids will always ask is will you be with me in this pain? Will you be with me? Whatever you will, you just be with me? Well, and I don't need you to fix it all the time. I just want you to Will you just be with me in hard things? And I think for you to sit on your bed with your little girl, it's showing her like, yes, I will be here. And it's I think that's one of the funniest things about being a parent is we really do overcomplicate it because we think at what we know about life at that level, and that's not They just are you around are you available? Will you throw the ball with me? Will you played yet? Legos? Are you kind of mom? Do you love mom? And they're like we're good now. We will need more things we get older. But like those early years, it's like there's some crazy study that showed that this blew my mind. The the I think it's the emotional infrastructure of a child is it's almost this is crazy, like ninety percent done by the time that they're four months old. And what that infers, which is unbelievable unbelievable, is that so much of what a child intrinsically feels is by is by uh not what they hear, what they interpret totally. So his dad around, like is he mad all the time?
Speaker 5: Is he cool?
Speaker 4: Does he seem to be at that tiny little thing? And then that from there on is how informs like how they kind of are in the world, which you're like, you man, which is great because I think God's kindness that he's like, hey, just like be around yeah, and don't like yell or hit them yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's also when they're really really.
Speaker 4: Really really yeah, and so it's like, oh, I think I can actually maybe do that and he's like yeah, no, you can. I'm telling you you can't because like I'm trying to make this is full because honestly, you'll mess this up. And so I think to me, you know, just being around, being available, showing them that they matter, like can can you? Another thing is like you want to be the expert in your house totally, you know, and so that.
Speaker 1: Means some awkward conversations.
Speaker 4: But I mean like in other words, like that same guy, his name is Stephen James. He's great, but Stephen was like, you know, you want to be the person that when your kid is like somebody said a cuss word and that was kind of weird, Like, hey dad, my kid said this yesterday. Is is d I c K a bad word? I was like, well, you know, you don't want to say it. It just means penis you know ask me that. Don't ask your buddy on the bus set. Don't ask like I'm the guy. And so it's not a place of pride, it's just authority. So if then because then they'll go like, hey, my my friend was looking at something on his phone and it was like, you know, let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, let's talk about it. What it looks like?
Speaker 4: How to make you feel okay, well, that's why it made you feel this way. And what you know, if you can be the authority, they'll keep coming to you about it. And I think that's another big thing that's really.
Speaker 1: Helpfully, that's what we want his dad's they come to.
Speaker 4: That's right with everything, which is going to be awkward and that's a lot of weird time. But I think if you can get to that place you're like, okay, we're really and not overreacting or not going why.
Speaker 5: Why did you look at that? Sure, like why are you hanging out with those kids?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: All right, let's we'll get to that, but let's talk about that first, like thank for coming to me about that. This is what that means, and that's what that is. And so I think those kind of things I don't. I just don't. It's not easy, but it's definitely not as hard as we can make it. I think, especially in those early years of just being around, being available, being kind, being you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's what I was talking to And yeah, I was talking to Casey Bethard about that and before I even had kids, man, I was like, man, I'm so you know, because as a dad, especially you feel that like, you're your authority, you're you're the leader of the house, and you want to say the right things. You want to you want to do all the perfect things to raise your child the exact way. And I asked him. I was like, man, I was like, I don't have like I don't know what to say, like when, And he was like, he's like, it's not He's like, you're not going to raise them by by telling them the perfect things. He's like, you're going to raise them by taking them to the to the corner store where you get a biscuit and you sit on the porch and you watch everybody come in and she says hi in waves and everybody says, hey, how do you eat the guy that no doubt man, no matter no matter how they look, no matter what color they are, like like all of those things. And he's like, that's that's how you raise them, that you just show them.
Speaker 4: Just so much is caught, not taught. And I think like remembering like which is so terrifying because then all of a sudden it's like, oh man, they're listening, they're watching, like, yeah, that's most of what they're taking on. It's not what you tell them, but it's what you're showing them, but how you live. Absolutely, And I think that's really encouraging but scary too, but it's like, Okay, I think I think I can do that probably.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Barns with the Nuggets, Thanks for coming. Thank you go another four hours, come back.
Speaker 5: We will do it some other time.
Speaker 1: Thanks making on God's country. Well we'll check you next time. See you peace,