Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome home, y'all, welcome home.
Speaker 1: We are live from Temple University. We are at the Anti Racism Center and we are a little late because what happened was.
Speaker 4: Angela could not put the bread down at the restaurant.
Speaker 5: Oh, by Shane, You guys don't believe that.
Speaker 1: Apparently someone has been feeding our eating off of misinformation and has has suffered from these problems themselves.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's truly alternative fact.
Speaker 1: We relate because one of us is directionally challenged and we were given directions to the other side of campus. So Temple, we thank y'all for being very patient with us. We did follow the address, but we made it. We did, we did, and we had an anti racist center and.
Speaker 5: It says freedom. Now y'all see that freedom. Now, have you guys resolved racism yet here? Okay, we're waiting.
Speaker 1: Well, we do want to shout out Timothy Welbeck, who is the director of the Anti Racism We.
Speaker 5: Just get here.
Speaker 1: Not only that he came to get us from outside lost carried lost, and carried the boxes.
Speaker 5: We were lost, but now we're found.
Speaker 4: But more importantly, we're on the eve of what I believe will be a historic event tomorrow. If we do our black job, yeah, and if you're not, do the white job job on behalf of black people on, behalf of the country, and we vote, how do y'all feel about tomorrow? By feeling like.
Speaker 6: Y'all feel good?
Speaker 5: I don't know that wasn't as enthusiastic. How y'all feeling?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 3: We gotta do something because I feel good and I want to be around other people who feel good. And if you're watching these polls, one say one thing in the five minutes and say something else them so it doesn't matter, I don't. All we need to do is do what we need to do. And if you arrive with five like Andrew always reminds us, and bring people to vote. I truly believe by sheer will of us that this country. We have been trying to bend this country to our will for four hundred years, and we know what happens to things that don't bend right. So tomorrow I believe we will elect Vice President Kamala Harris to President of.
Speaker 6: The United States.
Speaker 7: You're here.
Speaker 5: I feel good. How you feel? I feel great?
Speaker 1: Our podcasting godfather is here with us, Chris Morrow. Yes, but he's not in the room because guess what, he's lost too. So that's what I was just trying to address. But we have a really jam packed show for y'all and because we will be Oh hi, Prince L, I just did I scare you?
Speaker 3: Recentuie Media and known as the Podfather the podcast.
Speaker 1: Waving every buddy, Chris. We know you don't like people, but wave at them anyway.
Speaker 4: Chris, Chris Morrow, Angela Rye and Charlemagne the god Uh founded Recent Choice Media, which is the banner in which we get to operate under at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 5: So are you gonna polize?
Speaker 6: Good to me?
Speaker 4: No, you're just dramatic. You're being on display. Be on display.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: We do have a good show though today, some great voices that you all will get to hear from. And one of the things that I think we love about the live shows is that it gives us an opportunity to hear directly from you. So we have a roaming mic. Is that right in the room?
Speaker 5: Yes, we do, and we also have guests.
Speaker 1: We're gonna Welcome to our conversation today from Temple University's Black Law Students Association.
Speaker 5: Sonya K.
Speaker 1: Johnson, Hello, will join us. Hello, Hi, how you doing?
Speaker 5: I'm good. How are you guys going to welcome us?
Speaker 1: We say welcome home y'all at the beginning of our podcast.
Speaker 5: You're gon welcome us.
Speaker 6: Back, welcome home.
Speaker 3: Yeah you are, air girl. We gotta have some enthusiasms. How do you feel about tomorrow?
Speaker 5: I'm definitely a little nervous.
Speaker 8: I will say that I hope everybody made their their right choices. But you know, it's it's a crucial election. I think it's important for everybody to get out and vote. We only got one day left and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, do you feel like we're gonna pull it off? I think we're gonna pull it off.
Speaker 4: I think are you're a president of the National Law Schoodents Yeah association, Yeah, very good. Yeah, you're a Temple And how many of your members are here with us?
Speaker 5: Currently? All of our board is here.
Speaker 4: They're right there right welcome me.
Speaker 1: Board got out to my boss, so fam I love to see it, love to see it. So we're also at this time, we're gonna we're gonna keep you on with us on you, but we're also gonna recognize and welcome the executive director and CEO of the National Black Justice Coalition, our dear brother, doctor David John and also the vice president of Philadelphia Black Jason Bowman. And I know y'all have seen these videos. Jason has been hit these streets hard for out for Harris. He has been making sure that the community is running these streets and getting.
Speaker 5: Into the both voting booths. So welcome to both of you, David and Jason.
Speaker 9: Welcome to Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Welcome home. Now your name is pronounced David Sean a long long time and have known his work a long long time.
Speaker 5: How do you feel about tomorrow?
Speaker 10: I'm excited.
Speaker 11: The history of black people is that we thrive in spite of so as long as white people do they white job, we should be all right.
Speaker 3: Well do you think they will specifically white women? Do you think, because that's where this race hinges a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 11: I don't know, Jason, and you're just discussing us. I don't trust white people. We have lots of reasons not to. But what did harden me is that I got off the train in Philadelphia a half hour ago a little bit longer, traffic was a mess, and there was a little white girl who ran from across the parking lotch structure to say hello to me. And you know, w what a little white girls run at you? You don't really know. I'm six y five black men in America. It could be questionable on a spot of the fact that I taught elementary school. But she said to me that she loved my sweater, and then after her mom came over and said, I really enjoy or appreciate.
Speaker 10: What you're doing.
Speaker 11: And I thought to myself, four years ago, I don't recall white person doing anything similar. Right, And so in a world where there have been white women for lots of talk around white women who have been modeling their work after black women that we know in love like Joe Tika Edie and Christina Q and women with black women, I'm not really seen white women show up in the way in which some of them are publicly. And so my hope is that they've been talking to their friends and their group chats and their book clubs, and that they do their white job.
Speaker 1: You guys could call so the election is tomorrow night. But if you could call it, how would you call it and by how much? Like who's winning and by how much and why?
Speaker 12: I would say that Kamala wins by two hundred and eighty three electoral votes is going to be close.
Speaker 9: I do think that Trump is going to try to make elected. I don't think that Trump is winning this. I don't. I don't foresee that happening.
Speaker 12: And I've been on the ground knocking doors for virtual phone banking, having community engagement events, especially with the black and brown career community here in the city Philadelphia, and I know everybody.
Speaker 9: Is fired up about Kamala. Fired up.
Speaker 12: I will say that they kind of like waited a little too long to activate these communities, but they were definitely fired up.
Speaker 9: So I think that she's going to win. But I do think that it's going to be close.
Speaker 12: Because what's concerning me is a lot of the suburbs and a lot of you know, the other people that are really like pro Trump. It really amazes me that no matter what this man says, he can be disrespectful to black women, he could be disrespectful to white women, he could be disrespectful to immigrants. He can say that we're eating our cats and dogs. I mean, this man has no bounds, And the other day I saw him actually giving oral to a microphone. So I mean, even no matter what he does, they are still I'm voting for Trump, which is crazy to me.
Speaker 9: But here we are.
Speaker 5: Here we are David Johns calling.
Speaker 11: I would double tap that on Instagram, Um yeah, or I still call it Twitter in spite of the fact that that petulant child is trying to wreck it. And I think similarly, I worry most about people who have bought into the misinformation and disinformation, people who are not actually paying attention to what's available, and who simply are not being honest. I'd rather have a black man tell me that he's a misogynist or doesn't believe that a woman can lead, than to tell me that he believes that Trump has a better plan for filling the blank.
Speaker 10: Then they ain't got no plans for nothing.
Speaker 11: And so part of this is I'd just rather let's be honest about where we are so that we don't have to do the guessing or worry about things like the Bradley effect and all of these things that are coming up at this hour.
Speaker 12: But you know, in the city Philadelphi, w what I noticed when we were doing a lot of barbershop campussing. And though there are some men black men that were in barbershops that you know, are not really sold on Kamala because of the misinformation about you know, how many black men she left up.
Speaker 9: For marijuana charges.
Speaker 12: I've noticed that a lot a lot of black men that I've had conversations with, they just don't vote. So they say, oh, I'm voting for Trump, but they not voting at all. So it ain't even about them saying that they're gonna vote for Trump. Because even we just saw walka Floka and somebody just outed him on Instagram and showed that he has never voted in an election at all, but yet he's endorsing Trump.
Speaker 9: He probably ain't gonna vote. So stuff like.
Speaker 12: That is concerning because I think a lot of people have this messaging out there. They're like, oh, I'm voting but Trump, but we don't want the couch to win neither. So if you're watching this at home, it is your civic duty to get off the couch and make sure that you get out to vote Tomorrow morning. In the state of Pennsylvania, the polls open at seven am. They don't close until eight pm. Even if you're in line at APM, stay in line. Make sure that your vote counts, because like we've been doing all this, where we've been having all these conversations, it cannot go and banging tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let me okay, let me ask this because you brought up barbershops, Jason, so I might at this point be more triggered by the barbershop in Tiffany.
Speaker 5: And that's hard.
Speaker 1: I am trying to understand, Like why don't we know where else black people go? There has been so much like there has been content shot at barbershop after barbershop on both sides of the aisle. It's driving me next.
Speaker 12: Well, you know why a lot of toxic conversations happened in the barbershop, like and that's just the truth. And as a queer man in the city of Philadelphia, I remember when I used to go to the barbershop.
Speaker 9: I would have to sit through all these conversations.
Speaker 5: Today, I want to know what they said to Line.
Speaker 12: It's funny I went yesterday and me and my Barbara have been having an argument because he actually supports Trump. So in the conversation, well, I mean like he does his job, isn't that said? He does his black job and look trying to put somebody to cut my hair.
Speaker 9: It's like hard. But I think he's trolling me too.
Speaker 7: He's trolling me.
Speaker 9: I really do think that he's trolling me.
Speaker 12: I don't think that he's going for Donald Trump, because he does have like you know, black votes and Kamala for Harrison, like all the emergingis in the barbershop.
Speaker 9: He's just trolling me.
Speaker 12: But I think a lot of those conversations happen in the barbershop because that's the safe space where black men are able to kind of like be untucked and untamed. So they're able to go in the barbershop and have these conversations that are crazy. I mean, y'all will be surprised how many y'all go to black barbershops in this room, I know, and how many crazy conversations have y'all heard in barbershops.
Speaker 9: And let's listen, let's speak truth to power.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 1: I'm not the only place y'all have these crazy conversation y'all have.
Speaker 4: Barbershops, though, are probably one of the few places where black men, regardless of what their professions are, regardless of their social economics, kind of is a convergence of black men from various parts of society. And so unless you were going, you know, into black business where everybody who works there is African American, there's probably a few places you can get that kind of strata of black folks in one place. I think beauty salons are similarly situated. Agree, Now it takes you know.
Speaker 1: Paranoid today history right hands out my pockets.
Speaker 3: I think what Andrew is saying, though, it raises a good point, because regardless of your socio economic status, is that is a place where you can get various aspects of conversation. I think the point we're saying is that that's not the only place. But I'm curious and I want to ask you guys this because we've been on tour, We've done a lot of shows, and when we were in Atlanta, it was a similar conversation about somebody who had been going to barbershops, and he talked about why some black men felt disillusioned.
Speaker 5: With the Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: One of the things he said is because there is a significant number of black men who feel like the Democratic Party has a specific LGBTQ agenda. Now I don't I'm not a fan of taking tools of the oppressor and applying them within our community. It breaks my heart when I hear that. So without you know, I try not to judge either, like I try to be an open space. I want to listen more than I speak. What would you say to men who feel that way? You're giving me a look like I say, I'm gonna go to Jay first because I don't know what David about to say.
Speaker 5: Here you go first.
Speaker 12: So the biggest problem that I have with that rhetoric, especially that, is that I think that when they look at us, I know I have pretty privilege, and I recognize my pretty privilege because a lot of times I'm in these spaces with black men that are macho macho man, so when they see somebody that's black and gay, they don't look at us the same. So I think they failed to realize that black trans men's issues are black men's issues. Black gay men's issues are black men's issues. So we're not invited to the conversation because they deem us less than because of our feminine facing, you know, gestures of attitude or how we carry ourself. It's not my fault that there is an ordained light over top of me. And when I walk into a space, I own it. That's your problem that you have an issue with my sexuality being so faced forward, and I think that is ultimately the biggest problem because even here in the city, I was so thankful that Isaiah Thomas had, you know, put me as the co chair for Philadelphia Black Men for.
Speaker 9: Harris and sorry like this.
Speaker 12: I was so thankful that he actually put me as the co chair of Philadelphia Black Men for Harris, and as a black queer person, to be in that space was great because I had a voice at the table with the men that are deciding things that are happening for black men. But I also talk to my elective and I let them know, like, hey, this is great that I'm here. But we also got to include black transmen. We also got to include other black gay men in the conversation too and invite them because a lot of times we don't feel welcome.
Speaker 9: To the space.
Speaker 11: Yeah, let me first ask all of us to give Jason around of applause.
Speaker 10: It's not just Jason, but there are.
Speaker 11: Members of our community who identify as queer, transitgender expansive, who have always been doing this work who often don't get platforms like this, and so I want us to celebrate and acknowledge them. I would, if I'm being thoughtful, step back and say, first, let's celebrate with Fatti lu Hammer taught us, which is that none of us are freeing lesson until all of us are free. The second thing I would say is that we collectively should engage in white supremacy rehab. My queerness is African, My queerness is African. That you believe that me being a same gener loving person, because God made me perfectly in his image, that you believe that this is my desire to be closer to whiteness or to do anything that is anti African is a lie from white supremacy hell. And we can debate about it, we can go biblically, we can talk ancestrally. But what I know is that this didn't just happen, and you can't get to freedom without me. It is because of black queer, transmigender expanse, of people like Biard Rustin, who built the stage that many of.
Speaker 10: Our leaders stood on.
Speaker 11: Doctor Marler, the King Junior included, it's because of folks like Marsha paying no mind Johnson that we have things like Pride Month. If it weren't for us living in the trenches on the front lines, we wouldn't be at this moment, on this precipice of having a black woman who has been able to complete the race that Shirley Hilsm and so many others have started.
Speaker 10: And so I would offer.
Speaker 11: A besiechment for them to go to therapy to deal with their own shit, to engage in white premiacy rehab so that we can have a meaningful conversation about how we as a community get over together. I would then highlight data, because sometimes we got to bring data to these conversations. Are people to be moved? So NBJ see the organization that I have the pleasure of quarterbacking partner with five other national organizations that have queer leaders. And you'll hear me using three different terms, queer, trans and gender expansive. I use gender expansive in the place of non binary and non conforming because those terms reinforce the very binary we're trying to get away from.
Speaker 10: But we partner with HRC.
Speaker 11: GLAD Family Equality Glisten and wasn't GLAD, it was Glisten, and NCLR, the National Center for Lesbian right to collect data to hear about what black people have to say about these issues, because often it's our white colleagues, and they're white noise that have us talking about things that don't really affect us.
Speaker 10: Two top lines.
Speaker 11: One is when we think about what policy issues matter most to black people, when we account for the divisions that people suggest that exists because of our sexual identity, there's no daylight between the things that matter most to us. If I ask you all to imagine, like, what's the top three policy issues that matter to you? Hold that list in your head. For the people we survey, Number one healthcare. Number two, the cost of every goddamn thing is too high, health care, college, gas whatever. Number three safety justice, anti blackness, to get the state to stop killing us.
Speaker 10: Those three things.
Speaker 11: Matter to people regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression. But if you listen to the white noise, the white media, it's our sexuality that matters most.
Speaker 10: The second thing that we learn from.
Speaker 11: Our data is that black people believe that we should be doing more so that all of us can get free. And so if we lean into celebrating the beautiful diversity that has always existed in our community, again turning down this white noise and engaging in white supremacy rehab. I think that we can come on the other side of some of these seemingly intractable discussions.
Speaker 5: I want it for a moment.
Speaker 1: Just remind you all, we do have a floating mic, So if you have a question, raise your hand.
Speaker 5: Someone will walk the mic over to you. Okay, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: And while that mic is making its way to him, I think I lost my mic.
Speaker 5: Holder.
Speaker 1: Uh, we will get that to you in just a moment. But until we do, sonya, I want to come back to you for a moment. The election, we didn't even finish. The first question is how our panels go sometimes with can you predict? David was like, I'm not gonna, I'm gonna I'm gonna double click that on Instagram.
Speaker 5: But he's not on Instagram. He's on this panel. But that's fine.
Speaker 1: So I want to just ask you what the role of lawyers will be in this election. What the lawyer, the role of young lawyers, black law students is in challenging.
Speaker 5: Whatever comes up.
Speaker 1: We know that there are folks who are eager to dismantle this democracy on the other side, questioning the legitimacy of these election results before they even come out. What role should young black lawyers be playing in this election and it saving demis.
Speaker 8: I believe, for especially from my organization personally, that we need to be informing our members students. A lot of us are political science and criminal justice majors, and I feel like we have that knowledge to be able to educate the youth as well as educating are sorry as well as educating our the students that are in the area were located because I think sorry, I think that.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Just take a step back and just think about your really important role as the president of Boston here. I'm sure you all are reached out to by election protection efforts and that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: What role do you all see see? What role do you see.
Speaker 1: Playing and making sure that democracy is preserved, which is what we've always done, is black attorneys in this space.
Speaker 8: I believe it really is just educating as well as informing people are members. I know I've spoken to a lot of people who are unsure of like where they stand in the election, and I feel like emphasizing on getting our research just simple, just as simple as doing something as just searching up their policies and just talking with I know social media is another place where it can have a lot of misinformation, but I also think it can also be a crucial place to look for information because I think there are a lot of people that are showing that Trump isn't a good person. He has racist ideologies, He's disrespecting a lot of people. And I think that it's our job, especially in our organization, to just be educating our members, our students, are anybody, we can really our families, because I know there's a lot of families where people don't see eye to eye, especially when it comes to elections. And I think that's just something that we need to It's a conversation that we need to have and that we need to continue having.
Speaker 5: And yeah, it's perfect.
Speaker 1: Say your name and where you're from.
Speaker 6: Please Hi.
Speaker 13: My name is Sauna Alone. I'm a junior here at Temple University. I am a member of Alpha Phi Alpha for Tunity in Cobawa.
Speaker 14: And I'm and I'm throwing up gang signs in here.
Speaker 5: Y'all going on talking about heard of people, I say, color signs panel they're in your carry on.
Speaker 13: But all that succeests as a African American man that have a disability. Why is it I here talked about every issue in the back community, but we don't talk about back disable issue in the African American community. I was told by a white teacher that college was not for me. Here I am in college with a high GPA. But but but where I don't understand. We talked about the black boat, the black woman boat, the bad lgbtq abo, what is amazing? We talked about all that, but we don't talk about the black disable vote. And people like myself of tire of being cheated ass she'd get past citizens in America. So if y'all could just talk about what we need to do as a community to uplift the back disablable as well, so that more people like myself can be a success story. They give for Carmen and yes, I love that past.
Speaker 9: Can I say something to that? Can I say something to that? Can I respond to that? Thank you? I'm trying to get emotional.
Speaker 12: I'm talking because that's the reason why that this election is so important to me. My mother was born with spina bifita, which is a neurological disorder that affects the spine.
Speaker 9: She was not supposed to live past the age of fourteen.
Speaker 12: She went to Wider Memorial School, which is right behind Girls High, and I watched my mother learn how to walk. They told my mom that she was not going to have any children. I was her miracle baby. After me, she miscarried. After the miscarriage, she had my little brother, and I watched her as a disabled American fight and never give up and constantly make space to educate her two black sons, and she adopted four girls because she never had a girl that I was probably the closest one to it.
Speaker 9: But when you speak about well, I probably was. I probably was.
Speaker 12: But like hearing him say that, it's conversations that I have with my mom, So it like kind of like hit me some my core because like that's why, like I do a lot of this work and the reason why, you know, Magnavine, the disability of voices and magnifying black career people was so important to me because I watched my mom as a single mother raising us. I was a latch key kid, you know. I was afforded the opportunity to be a part of the segregation program, which busts us from the projects to the Northeast area, Philadelphia, so we can have a quality education. You know, she sacrificed so many things for me, So like, thank you for that, because you're absolutely right, we have to do that. Are at making sure that we also speak to our disabled community as well?
Speaker 11: If I could jump in these double Dutch robes to add two points. One is that words matter. And in my previous intervention, I use the phrase my queerness is African. Too often we conflate queerness to signal sexual minority status or lgbtqia plus or ligabigg tiggers at lgbtquad, whatever, But queerness refers to people who are not a position of pejorative privilege or power. So most of us in this room are queer people. Women in a society that says men have.
Speaker 10: Privilege, are queer.
Speaker 11: People with disabilities in a space where we don't acknowledge people with our disabilities, Our privileged are queer. And it's often left to those of us who are queer to do exactly what you did, which is to lift up the consequences of white supremacy and what happens when we don't think about intersectionality.
Speaker 10: And so just to put a pin in this.
Speaker 11: I often remind folks that black people, because of how white supremacy work, are usually born with the disability, and if we live long enough, we're going to grow into having one right. And so this is why we need to be having conversations at center all of the important parts of who make us whole. Now, my frustration becomes this in a practical do party system, Andrew and I used to have some of these debates about scarcity, right, which is often it's the responsibility of the.
Speaker 10: Democratic Party or Democratic.
Speaker 11: Representatives to speak to everybody because they're creating a large tent. And in this moment, we don't have people who have the same energy for whatever the policy issue that is important to them for the people on the other side of the aisle. And so in this moment, while there are still some people who are debating, are thinking about who they're going to vote with, my hope is that people here my heart when I say voting ways that will allow us to be more strategic and getting closer to freedom. Right on the other side of this election being decided, we can go back and have the policy debates about what changes need to be made legislatively at every level of government. To address the unique issues that we have. But what I know is that my black queer SAMs and her loving self cannot fathom surviving four years under a fascist, white supremacist regime. And I hope that that is clear isn't lost in us highlighting the need to do more with regard to intersectionality.
Speaker 3: I love your question, So I want to speak specifically to the disability community because I think that's such a huge issue that your one hundred percent right gets overlooked so specifically to being black and disabled. I would echo what David said that there has to be a policy change at every level. And this was something that I think many of us in our different professional backgrounds have been confronted with and talked about. There was a social experiment that made its way around the socials where there was a white man who was blind and a black man who was blind, and they were walking on the streets of Florida and reached out for help, and every time somebody was willing to hold that white man's hand, when most people were coiled at the black man extending his hand. And so I think in terms of just the disability community as a whole, for sure, that's something that needs to be talked about, but we cannot talk about that without highlighting the wealth gap in this country and who gets resources. It was much like this during the Great Depression. We all were destitute, but there were white families who were prioritized in a way, and I imagine it's the same way for the black and disabled community. I commend you for raising the issue, and I would love we'll make sure our research and producer and everything person lol follows up with you, because I would love to hear from you three issues that you would like to see raised on a national level, and we can certainly commit to talking about those on our platform.
Speaker 4: I would also say you are the best representative. I was compelled by everything you had to say. I felt your story. I applaud you not for having any sort of disability, but I applaud you for being willing to talk about out what's important to you. And a lot of people shrink from that opportunity when they have it, and you didn't shrink at all. So one, you've got to continue to be on the front lines. The other thought that I wanted to complete with something David said around the scarcity debate that we often have and I answered the gentleman in Atlanta the same way when he bought up. We don't see heterosexual black men as a priority in the Democratic Party unless you're gay. And my point to him was, your beef isn't with black, queer gay people. Your beef isn't with black women. Your beef is it with any of those communities. That's what white supremacy has done. It is he pitted us against each other through again a mentality of scarcity, that there's only so little and that we all have to hold as much of that little that exists on the table, when in fact, there are almost unlimited resources. If Donald Trump can give the top one of Americans a tax break that lands this country in its largest national debt in history, then why are we fighting about whether or not we can get resources to a community of disability to make sure that the laws and statutes that exist on the books are enforced at every level of government, from school boards to municipalities, to counties to states, all the way up to the federal level. Because in the grand scheme of it, these would be these are pennies and truth when you think about the scale of the federal government. So I guess if there was a point that we might take away on, it is that we all ought to be fighting for what we need, not for what they say is our little piece of the pie for us to negotiate over, because that's a distraction. The pie is all the pie, not the little piece that you have aggregated or separated or told us that we're supposed to fight over. But they keep us, they keep us in the cycle of fighting each other over crumbs when the pie is much bigger than that, and the pie is all of ours. And I just I hope we shrink from competition between one another on whether your life ought to be protected as an LGBT person, whether laws ought to exist for black women that they should be able to work in a workplace and while doing the same job that a man does as well, if not better, that you're still being paid thirty cents on a dollar in comparison. That's that's not right for any of us. And I think that's kind of, at least for me, where I feel like we ought to be turning our advocacy.
Speaker 5: Jason will offer you, Oh sorry, no, I's said him downey.
Speaker 1: Jason will offer you close The remarks we're gonna wrap this panel, we're gonna get to an audience question and bring on Earnest.
Speaker 12: I just want to kind of like go back to something Tiffany said really quickly and closing. When people always say like, oh, they're pushing this LGBTQ agenda down my throat. Oh, it's an agenda, it's an agenda. It's not an agenda. We are asking for equality, that is, that is the we, that is the agenda. But the way they make it sound is almost as if like, oh, y'all keep trying to push this gayness down my throat, like not realizing that we're just fighting for equality, like we are fighting for equal rights, We're fighting for representation. To me, the fight for equality, the civil rights movment, it's like it's our rights.
Speaker 9: We need rights.
Speaker 10: It's period and not just period.
Speaker 9: Let's no, we're not just period, not experience. Let's just do it.
Speaker 11: Let's do it a different which is that children don't ask to be born exactly right. One of my spirit animals a god, not an animal person a sehiliar. The sociologist said the following, I've never in my life met a child, in particular a black child who is not a genius, and there's no secret to how we support them. We first acknowledge them as human and we second support them with love. And the reality is that children, whether they are marked by race, ethnicity, or sexual identity, often don't ask to be born and then don't consent to the politics that impact their lives in a measurable ways. And today we still are not talking enough about the fact that the suicide rate for black youth has doubled over the last two decades. That data study I mentioned the most compelling statistic to move black people was around the suicidality for black.
Speaker 10: Youth thirteen through twenty one. So many of them.
Speaker 11: Are contemplating suicide because big ass bullies are passing laws that are encouraging.
Speaker 10: Them to commit genocide.
Speaker 11: If you live in a space where you can't have access to life saving at affirming care, where your parents can go to jail for loving on you, where your teachers can be arrested for teaching you that you are normal, that you are not a bastardization that you deserve not just to live, but to thrive. If those conditions are legislated, the result is genocide.
Speaker 10: And so if in this moment. You don't think that I should.
Speaker 11: Have the ability to have my nails as they always are done, or the ability to live as freely as our ancestors dreamed of our ability to do. I pray that you are compelled by children who didn't consent to any of this bullshit, who don't have the ability to vote, do it for them.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Jason Bowman, David john Saya, Madam President, we appreciate you. We're gonna take a quick audience question if you have your hands that will take it. Yes, we see you. Let's pass that. Mike Lolo, say your name and where you're from. And while you are asking your question, we are going to bring up history walking history. The speaker of the Pennsylvania House Representatives, our good friend, Joanna McClinton, is here with us today.
Speaker 15: Yes, sir, oh Minnie, my name is Shan Nuby, Jr. I'm the vice president of Black Lawsuits Association here at Temple. My question was relating back to what y'all just talked about about how the disenfranchisement of the African Americans it comes to Kama Harris's plan towards black men, and how can she expand on that outside of like talking about the issues with healthcare for us and only in those spaces you guys touched a little bit earlier, how the barbershops are place for us to decompress, and also things in which where they can allow us to get out loans to open up more businesses, because as you just talked about, sir, the pie is not in our favor. So I was wondering how you guys think she can expand on that plan.
Speaker 4: Well, one, thank you for the question, but the plan is actually really expansive. And I don't know if any of you all have another recollection, but I don't recall ever a major party candidate ever presenting an agenda for black men in the history of presidential races in the country. The fact that Kamala Harris was bold enough to step up there and say I have an agenda. She didn't say for black women. She said I have an agenda very specific specifically and particularly for black men. When Obama always asked what his agenda was for the black community, he said, my agenda for the black community is my agenda for the American people. And some people cringe to others were critical, But I don't think any of us would argue that we didn't benefit from having expanded healthcare, being able to see a doctor, many of us for the first, you know, for the first time in our adulthood. But the truth is is the reason why I think we need agendas that are particular to our needs is that black folks, particularly black men, are always at the worst end of almost every single.
Speaker 7: Statistic that we measure.
Speaker 4: So unless the entire society is going to be impacted at the same rate that we are, if their health data reflects the same statistics that ours do, if their education data, if their access to capital reflected that, that'd be one thing, but it doesn't.
Speaker 7: Ours is greater.
Speaker 4: It is almost almost more significant and has detrimental impacts on ours in our livelihoods. Which is why I think her agenda really, really, it really pierced to me as a study of history and also as a study an example of courage. What she's offering as a relation to small business, not only loans, but loans to them be forgiven as grants for folks to start new businesses a big deal. The credit that she's willing to offer for families who have children who are between the ages of zero and five who can't afford the cost of high quality childcare. The fact that we're getting in a larger inducement and added tax incentive in order to make sure that our kids are ready by the age of five when they enter kindergarten to read and excel just like all other kids are. Her emphasis on health and men's health is a particular import. Our life lines and life spans are shorter because of the health outcomes and health implications. So what I loved about it is that I thought it was broad. Where we're really going to have to come together is on helping her to get it done. You can imagine if there's never been a black agenda and a black male agenda before in this country, that the US Senate, which is ninety eight out of one hundred or nine ninety eight out one hundred white or other than African American, only two blacks in the US Senate. Only counting two, I'm sorry there is a third. He's on the Republican.
Speaker 5: Yeah, David is going to be a heckler.
Speaker 4: David is deleting any self haters from the caucus. But but that's where I think we're going to have to really call our power together. Is that I can already since once we get past this moment of unity where Republicans and Democrats and white women and black women are supporting Kamala Harris, that the next story that will be written after she wins is a few months saying if they give her that long, this isn't the president that we thought we were getting. She's too liberal, she's not working with Republicans, and it'll fall back to that same refrain that I think politics always falls back into, and we're going to have to have her back so that she can deliver on our promises. That's my real fear. It's not that we don't have an agenda, is that that it'll fall flat in less way able to organize and insisted it happened.
Speaker 1: So before we go to Madame Speaker, I just want to acknowledge two of our family members in the audience. Quentin James has joined us, one of our partners from Vote to Live, who will be joining the panel in a little bit. And I also want to recognize I didn't say right now, Lolo relaxed, she come around. I'm just acknowledging our family. I said she came around and not yet, we know we Madam Speaker is going to have the floor. But also to me, a Booker, I want you to stand yeah, sand sand Sand, y'all. I want you to know I have known this sister. She's a brilliant strategist. I've known her since she worked in Hillary Clinton's office on the Senate side and twenty years ago almost and I've.
Speaker 4: Known since she was a student in college.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, so here we go, see, here we go, here we go?
Speaker 5: Okay, well what else? Keep going?
Speaker 4: She's bad and the room. The chief of staff for uh US Senator Corey Booker out of New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Related that's not her cousin. They did not violate rules, but I wanted to. I wanted to shout her out. You trumped me.
Speaker 5: No pun intended on how long you've known her.
Speaker 1: But I want you all to know that Tamiya is not just a fan of the show and a support of the show, but of all of us. And wanted to make sure that we had some amazing guests on the show tonight, and that started with Madam Speaker. So I want to come to you. The question that they did not answer on the last panel was what do you think they're the the who's going to win tomorrow? And what are the numbers like electoral college votes? Who's winning in how many?
Speaker 7: Well, good evening, but even welcome to Philly.
Speaker 16: I'm so glad to see you all, and thank you to doctor val for coordinating this. You are so glad to be at the Center for Anti Racism. My first visit. I come to North a lot, but you know, I haven't been here, so I'm glad to be here this evening.
Speaker 6: Proud of the work that Temple is doing, a long my doing in the law. Classmate Tim year Over, thank you for your work.
Speaker 16: Here, Professor Tim, thank you for your work. Who's winning? Kamala d Harris is winning? What are the electoral college numbers? The winning number? You gotta put the map up. I mean, I wasn't ready for that, Angela. You came in with a heavy hitter. I need to see the map. But you know, so.
Speaker 1: Seventy anything higher, she's gonna win.
Speaker 7: She's going to have at least two seventy.
Speaker 1: Okay, and she win in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 16: She's winning Pennsylvania right now. This is where the nation started, and we're sticking on the right side of history.
Speaker 5: All right, I love it.
Speaker 4: Does anybody else suspect that while the polling loose closes, anybody think that this may also be a blow away on behalf of Kamala Harris, you think there may be some a blowout, A blow away blowout, however you want.
Speaker 7: To phrase it. I said a blow away.
Speaker 1: Love, that's what you're doing with your hands to tip, just so you know, next time we do a panel, you're sitting to the right side of Andrew because I'm ducking like.
Speaker 4: I'm a sneaky suspicion that she's gonna blow past two seventy.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 4: I think there are people here who are not being caught in the polling. I think there are states that we are counting out. Uh And I think that there's a lot of secret voting that's happening where people are not necessarily disclosing who they're supporting. And when the final analysis is done, I think we're gonna pick up states that we didn't think we're gonna be in our column.
Speaker 5: You know, I want to say something about that.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry one because I'd never like to make us invisible. There is another sister that I should have recognized, and we ran in here we had to go to the bathroom wash our hands. It was doctor Valerie Harrison and I talked about it to me, Joanna, thank you for giving me my life together. We would not be here today if it wasn't for you, Doctor Harrison. And Tim got us together as well. He was directing me and Tiff down the hallway like we were. We didn't stan him, do I understand? But this way with the people so they know, thank you, you appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you for your work.
Speaker 3: I want to say something about this idea about voting in secret. What year are we in that women got a hide from their husbands, not us, but the other women got a hide from their husbands who they're voting for. The vote is secret, Yeah, it's secret, but I don't need my husband's permission to.
Speaker 1: Or secret. There's a difference sacred and secret.
Speaker 3: The dynamic that exists that you and it showed to me. It highlights the clear divide between us and them sometimes if you feel like you can't stand in your own conviction, in your own home, and to me, there's an un are lying envy in that that I want the same power that my white man husband has, and so to get that power. I will preserve his power in hopes that one day he might extend it to me. That is the clear divide between us and them.
Speaker 4: The campaign was wrong to run the ads they did, but I don't want you.
Speaker 5: To start defending.
Speaker 7: The last ads.
Speaker 4: But essentially Julia Roberts is narrating this experience for two white women go into the polling place with their husbands to cast their ballots.
Speaker 5: It's like away each other.
Speaker 4: And have this sort of wink nod experience where like, girl, you know, yeah, I know. They then uh, as they're leaving, you know, we did the right thing. We voted for Trump. And then there's an exchange that basically shows that they voted for Harris, and the right wing went mayhem over the last seventy two hours over these adswe the preacher white men particularly, but there was also an ad that they ran with two white men going in to vote. They have a similar exchange and both of them vote for Harris. However, there was no blowback about white men in secret deciding they look at each other with a weekend and the nod that yeah, we couldn't go with that dude. We went with Harris. But in the case of the women. There was intense blowback across Fox News and every other right wing outlet.
Speaker 5: How dare got us to be Handmaid's tail so bad?
Speaker 16: Well, I think we don't recognize how culturally to your points, if any people are, people are culturally different. And depending on the type of community that you live in, I always say, you know, I live in West Philly is a big blue bastion of Democrats. There's some Republican neighbors, but I don't see them with maga hats on, and the same way I don't see my neighbors with maga hats on. It's the same way in other communities. People don't have on a Harris Wall shirt tonight and a big button that says voting is my black job. But that's okay because when you go into the ballot it is both sacred and secret. And if it's both sacred and secret, you shouldn't have to advertise, because if you are going to run into something at work or at your place of worship, you'd rather avoid. So you're not going to tell everybody this is where I am and this is where I line, because then the questions start or what about this?
Speaker 7: What about this?
Speaker 16: Are you saying, you agree with everything that this person and this candidate is for. Because the same way somebody told me I was at an event yesterday, I'm for you, but I'm voting for the other guy. I said, well, you know he's not for you. He's not going to tell your union that you should go on strike. He's not going to tell megacorporation acts that they should pay you fairly. He's never going to stand in the gap for you. So how could you not be with her? And he says something to be about an open primary. I said, you're sure, that's it. You're sure you're not voting for her because of a primary short that's the issue, that's the reason. So it's different depending on where you're from and where you live. And I was on an interview last week with a group of women from all across the nation, Oregon, Michigan again, their leaders in their state houses and Senate, and we all talked about how there are some women who do not talk openly about being tired of the forty fifth president is nonsense, and being tired of it means that they're not voting for him again, even if they did in sixteen and twenty.
Speaker 5: I want to go too.
Speaker 1: You can ask your question, but I want to bring up Quentin James, who's going to join us now from Vote to Live. Also he's the founder and president of Collective Pact. Give our brother a round of applun the home. And we also have gabriel Gabrielle Reid, who is the president of Black Girls Vote here at Temple University joining the panel.
Speaker 3: T if you were about to ask a question, okay, I'll tell you later.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I right, last, all right, we're gonna get in trouble with Andrews. Can we say? We can't say?
Speaker 4: I phone was ringing it it read n DeSantis.
Speaker 1: Give me the phone there, but let me call real quick with me called back on.
Speaker 3: The party anyway, Rondo Sanders was calling anyway, I have a question for you.
Speaker 5: But that's a distracting thing you show me. Rond de Santa's calling it. But anyway, I have a question that you should focus group.
Speaker 3: I agree, Okay, the young man who asked about Vice President Harris's plan, I think this is a great question for you, Madam speaker, because what I was struck by when I heard your question is something that I think we assume a lot of people just understand how government works. I assume you understand, but a lot of people out there don't. And some people think that President elect Harris is also State Rep. Harris is also city councilwoman Harris is also school board president Harris and so I would love for you to punctuate the role of state and local government as it relates to getting the president's agenda done. While we discussed calling Royan DeSantis back on the side, well.
Speaker 16: While y'all call him, we're going to have this conversation. And many times, even when people decide that they don't vote, not interested in voting, it's because they think that one official, the mayor, the mayor supples to solve every problem. Social Security now that's a federal benefit. Unemployment now that's a state benefit. But we think, well, I voted for this woman from mayor, why hasn't everything been fixed immediately? So our President elect Harris will have to have a Congress that is willing to work with her to change policies. The number of high school town halls I had in September getting students to register the vote. Who said, oh, no, the last president gave my mama a check. No, it was the majority leader in the Senate, who at the time was Chuck Schumer, and it was Madam Speaker in Washington DC, MSS Pelosi that worked together to get your parents some benefits during the pandemic. Now, for whatever reason, the former president did and let the Secretary from Treasury sign it. He decided he wanted his name on it. So now people thinking that he was able to give them some money. He didn't give anybody anything. It took action from the lawmakers to do it. And in Harrisburg, the things that we oversee are paying for many public benefits, like public education. In Pennsylvania, that's a big bill we have. I was proud in our last budget to have the biggest investment thanks to my colleagues, finally into public schools, making them fair. For so long in pas you got to roll the dice on where you can afford to live, on what type of public school you can access. That's not all on Washington. A lot of that is on the state's responsibility. Similarly, we're in the city we live in.
Speaker 9: You know people talk about a pothole, Well, if it's a.
Speaker 16: City rule, we have to get downtown to get our city council mempus working on something like that, so all of us have a role to play. But people get disenchanted because they think that one time you voted for elected official.
Speaker 5: Why she was supposed to fix it all.
Speaker 6: And it doesn't work that way.
Speaker 16: It takes collaboration, partnership, even once you set in it ambitious agenda.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of collaboration, I want to go to the collective. It is you all that creates history makers and helps to blaze trails for history makers like Madam speaker right here, I want to talk to you briefly quitting about what you see as our responsibility in the next twelve hours, right is what is our collective responsibility and call to action leading up to election day tomorrow.
Speaker 17: Well, first, good evening, Thank you all for having us Yes, give it up the temple. You all sent a good brother by the name of doctor Greg Carr to Howard University from this university. So he was my professor at Howard. I'm an African American Studi's major. So thank you officing him to us. The next twelve hours. What we got to do. We got some good news. Right, There's been a lot of talk around our black men go to show up. Our black girl's going to come out. What we know from the numbers, over two point seven million Black people have already vote voted early.
Speaker 6: In the battleground states.
Speaker 17: Right huge, give yourselves around replause. Anybody already vote, People already voted, I voted. So what we know is that, for instance, in Georgia, forty eight percent of all black women rights have.
Speaker 9: Already voted right.
Speaker 17: In North Carolina, over fifty percent of black women have already voted right. So we're heading towards a record breaking turnout tomorrow, at least from black women. We got to make sure the gap isn't too big with black men. But what we need to do we need to get everyone that we know out to the polls tomorrow. It is the job of the campaigns to convince them who to vote for. It is your job to try and get them to the polls. If you go on your phones real quick, put your phones out, go to rides to Vote dot com. We are offering people thirty dollars uber vouchers to get to and from the polls tomorrow, all across Pennsylvania, all across Maryland and Texas, in Wisconsin and Michigan and Georgia, North Carolina rides to vote dot com, put it on your social media, put it up there.
Speaker 4: We need people to go and vote.
Speaker 17: That's the biggest thing that we can do over the next twelve hours is turn our people out. I'm predicting that we're gonna have a really interesting surprise tomorrow, a surprise I think to Andrew's point, I think we're gonna see someone possibly get close to three hundred electoral votes. You know, we think about the polls and all the polls that you see, they're tight, one person's ahead by a point or two. The thing that you don't think about is those polls on average are about they say there's a margin of air about three to four points. And so imagine if some candidate has a little of a bit of a break three or four points in every single state, that could lead to someone winning the majority of the swing states. I think that will be Vice President Harris. I predict she will also get about fifty five percent of white women to support her tomorrow, which if she does again, she is going to be the president elect come Wednesday morning or Wednesday after noon.
Speaker 4: Quents a quick follow up and really for all of our guests. The election day voting results were folks who will show up on Tomorrow Tuesday and cast their ballots. And some states, obviously we've got early voting windows. Early vote typically with the exception of twenty twenty favors favors Republicans, and we think this year will be similar. Do you anticipate that the early vote, for instance, and Georgia comes out and those are the first numbers and they show Donald Trump with a substantial lead in early vote, do you think Donald Trump potentially goes out tomorrow eight nine o'clock in declares victory as the next president. You fear whether or not these earth And this is something I think all of us should really reckon with, is that no matter what, the data as it comes in is going to look very and skewed from point to point. The reason why they want one day of only voting with paper ballots and a result that evening is so that the votes that came in via absentee or early votes maybe or may not yet be factored into the numbers when they are initially announced. Because these states all have transparency rules, and as the numbers are counted, they're to be posted and put out there that way, when eleven o'clock and the numbers are looking more round it and Kamala Harris has come back, then there is they stole it from us. And if you fear that, what do you think our best tactics are as a people to sort of calm that? And what responsibility do you think Kambala Harris may have to address that? If Donald Trump preemptively declares victory.
Speaker 16: Well he's shown us that he will lie and he will try to steal an election. You know, when I was little, my granny said, don't ever tell a lie because the next temptation will be to steal something that's not yours. He's to steal elections. He was on the phone asking the governor to find votes. It's like, well, when you find votes in Georgia, my friend, what's going to happen in Pennsylvania? Because you already lost. We have to recognize that people need to be patient. Democratic leaders from across the nation are going to start hitting press tomorrow night saying to count every vote, to let it be a free and fair election, which is a blessing that we should cherish that we've always had in this nation, and that we're going to do that again and just pursue, you know, shake off all ideas that anybody won yet, because it will not be clear since we've gone into the age where states allow for more ways for people to vote. It's not twenty sixteen. We don't know Tuesday night at midnight. We just don't like the time I voted first time at LaSalle two thousand. Don't y'all laugh, you were born, you know, I was sitting on my bed, finger legs crossed, like, what's going on? What's happening? You know who won? Because it was a time when you just would know. But that is not the time. And in Pennsylvania and our state House, we sent a bill over to the Senate several months ago so that they could even just organize the mail in ballots, not open them and vote them yet, but just organize and sort them. But they wouldn't, of course do that, because our state senate's held by Republicans and they like the chaos.
Speaker 5: Are you concerned about violence?
Speaker 16: Absolutely, absolutely concerned about it and what people think about when we think about January to sixth, we think people from certain states came from the South to Washington, DC, and not realizing that Pennsylvania had the highest number of people arrested from and of course nobody was really arrested that day, so they was going on looking on footage find out who people were. Found Pelosi's computer in Harrisburg with a twenty one year old. Yes, I'm very concerned about it, but we are being vigilant to ask people to be patient and most importantly, to recognize that the process will not be finished until it's finished. We even never had a stolen election, but we have had a former president that tried to throw our votes out.
Speaker 1: I want to you all come back to you, but Gaby, I want to get your prediction first, and then I want to hear from you on the very important role that black girls, black women are playing in this election. We know we're carrying this thing on our backs. How much further do we have to go?
Speaker 18: I would say we have some ways to go. We're showing up and the youth vote is definitely counting as us as college students, we're out there, we're getting the votes, we're making sure people are registered to vote, and as black women, we're showing up like this is the first women president and she just so happens to be black. So it's one of those things where we all have to collectively come together and make sure that we are showing out and to ensure that everyone's not like, oh my goodness, it's a blowout.
Speaker 5: It's this.
Speaker 18: It's just remembering that a lot of the people who are voting in this election, this is our first time voting, Like this is it for us. This is a big election and it's her story. So many college students are coming out, those high school students who are old enough or coming out. So just remembering that it's not just the older generation going to the polls, it's us too. So just remembering that and having that piece of information with you, just stay calm and do your job, like go to the polls, take a friend to the pulls, make sure your kids are going to the polls after school. Do your job, and make sure people are going to vote. Because at the end of the day, if you fall asleep tomorrow night and being like I register to vote and I voted, then we're all good. So I think that's what we really need to remember.
Speaker 5: Here we go quick, we were going thin th business.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that.
Speaker 17: So yeah, I mean, I think I say this cautiously but I say this realistically, I think we should expect Donald Trump to come out tomorrow and say either he won or that the election is being rigged or stolen. That is their only defense. If you remember in twenty twenty, there was one party calling for stage to stop count votes. That was not the Democratic Party, that was the Republican Party, and so we should expect that, but we should also be patient. So we've talked to leaders in the different states and just a quick rundown. So tomorrow, between seven and ten PM on election night, we should have most results from Georgia and North Carolina, but only partial results from Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan as well. We also may have near complete results from Virginia, Florida, Ohio, and Colorado. Between ten PM and midnight, again we should have most results from Georgia, North Carolina and also possibly Michigan, but again only partial results from Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Arizona, and then initial results from Nevada. Going from midnight to six am. This is Wednesday morning, y'all, most results from Wisconsin and Michigan, but again only partial results still from Pennsylvania, Arizona.
Speaker 9: And Nevada.
Speaker 17: So the idea that we're going to know the winner tomorrow night. Is probably unlikely this will be going on into Wednesday, and so remain patient.
Speaker 9: Money.
Speaker 7: Bet me some money, Bet you some money.
Speaker 17: Yes, I mean, look, I said that she's gonna approach three hundred Elexora votes. I think if we can call Georgia and or North Carolina, then the game is over tomorrow at by eleven o'clock possibly.
Speaker 4: So. I think the one thing that just to all of us should know is that one, it is always taken three or four weeks for states to certify elections. Those calls are not typically made by any state until those certifications take place. Arizona in particular, Nevada another one in particular, whose state laws are very you know, specific about some of these things, will withhold, not withhold, they will do their due diligence. Count votes are necessary, and particularly those challenge ballots and states that are going to be close, those challenge ballots have to be cured, which requires a Republican and a Democrat sitting at the same table and agreeing that a voter's intent is a voter's intent, and that a voter's signature belongs to the voter who casts that particular ballot. The reason why I think we may be at a more predicted place tomorrow night is there are certain counties in certain areas who will perform certain ways, and depending upon how those places perform here in Pennsylvania and Georgia and North Carolina, networks will begin to start projecting who they believe the winners are. I think an open question is whether or not how deep Fox News is in the tank for Donald Trump, and whether or not they will go contrary to the work of most news organizations and start declaring states and putting in a column for Donald Trump that he hasn't rightly deserved yet. I don't fear that for Kamala Harris, because I think most networks are pretty cautious before they put a state on a column. But in addition to Donald Trump claiming victory, my concern is that some of the networks, who again get out there before votes are certified, before elections are certified, they make a claim on a state, thereby creating even more tension and fewer in the possibility. I think for violence as hard when somebody says a state went for Donald Trump, and then the next morning you woke up and it was taken from him. Well, it wasn't taken from him. All of those weren't county. Y'all jumped the gun, right. Nobody's won that state yet. The vote hasn't been certified.
Speaker 17: But I don't I don't think Fox News will do that simply because of the dominion lawsuit they did that.
Speaker 4: They have a track.
Speaker 9: Record of being sued.
Speaker 4: But their track record was about lying on a certain company and that company faking or manipulating the vote count correct. Declaring a winner isn't the same thing as as as besmerging a company's name and having to pay life.
Speaker 3: Can you get in the first Amendment issue so that the same danger of lawsuits doesn't necessary early apply. I would not be so confident about Fox News doing that.
Speaker 5: Never, not once. But here's what I am confident about.
Speaker 1: Time is ticking. This panel has been amazing and we are going to give them around a cause. For those with you watching at home, know that Q James will join us again tomorrow Election Night Live from Howard University the Meta. But please give a red applause again to her, Madam Speaker, Join a McClinton.
Speaker 5: Away for joining.
Speaker 1: And next up we have a working family's agender partner from Working Families Party, Party national director Maurice Mitchell, council Member Kendra Brooks and council Member Nicholas Rourk will now join us if around our party.
Speaker 5: Be live on camera, I have a seat.
Speaker 1: We love you, mokaya all right, to make sure you get all your time, y'all.
Speaker 7: Lest we think about the threat of again elections.
Speaker 1: You really look like the Praise team right now that hold on, look at this, we really do. We got the ten direct it okay sign but I just you know we do.
Speaker 4: You curve frankly.
Speaker 7: And everybody else.
Speaker 4: What responsibility do political parties that are not the majority parties Democratic or Republican, as well as C three C four organizations who have been working on behalf of turning out voters? What responsibility do you all feel you have tomorrow and then in the days after to ensure that we've got not just a fair election, but that we don't jump the gun and find ourselves in a situation where democracy really feels at stake and it becomes something physical. What responsibility do you all think you all have in that situation?
Speaker 19: Our number one responsibility always is to tell the truth, right, That's our number one responsibility, and it's hard to know.
Speaker 6: And also.
Speaker 19: Happy Election daye if everybody. So we don't know what's going to happen, but we do know that Donald Trump and the MAGA movement will engage in some shenanigans, right. And I remember in twenty twenty. I remember when at the Convention Center in Philadelphia they were counting votes and Rudy Giuliani wanted to come and hold a press conference in order to kind of drum up the stop the Steel energy in Philly. But he don't know about Philly, right, and he found out, So, you know, Nicholas and Kendra and a lot of the folks in the community turned that space into a Party for Democracy and shut that down, shut the Stop the Spiel movement down in Philly, and instead we basically celebrated our democracy. So to me, we have a duty to when the dust is settled and the days and weeks after, we know that there's going to be a lot of noise to be able to communicate to the people that we have influence over that we got us, that the processes of our democracy are fear and that we need to make sure that every vote is counted.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you. I want to hear from the other two of you, but you gave an important example of one that I just wanted to illuminate as well. In Florida in two thousand and the Bush be scenario, it was outside groups, not necessarily political parties, but also staff who were flown in bust in to certain precincts where they knew that the vote count and those precincts where those ballots fully counted would result in black They were largely black precincts, and I watched as many community groups and community leaders shrink from the moment of standing up for democracy because the other side was so violent, so loud, so agitating and antagonizing. And it's the reason why I wanted to know how U all's organizations are sort of prepared or thinking about that, because I don't think any of us can put it beyond the pale that should they show up at precincts and counting locations, that the votes they're going to want to shut down first will be amongst the folks who are estimated to vote almost ninety percent for their opponent, which means they'll be in black neighborhoods, younger college campuses and an effort to shut down the ability to count every vote.
Speaker 6: Oh oh, they're saying the quiet part out loud.
Speaker 19: They are saying what they plan on doing, right, They want to call the election even before we've counted all the votes, which is why it's important for us to understand the assignment.
Speaker 20: I would just say that one of the things that we were trying to be intentional in doing in the midst of the lockdowns when the twenty twenty election was going forward was returning a sense of joy in the act of this wholest election system.
Speaker 4: Actually, the whole movement joye of the polls was kind of.
Speaker 20: Burfed out of the party that was set up at that convention center to push back against the negative energy that many folks were feeling, all the anxiety that folks were dealing with in the midst of it all, and using joy as a resistance tactic to and also to kind of booy the spirit in pushing back. It also continues to be something that folks do. It's now kind of spread. You now have DJ at the Polsy, you have all these other means by which people are bringing celebration and a spirit of festivity to that space, and it diffuses a bit some of the tension that happens at that space, and so as you have seen it now has kind of gone national or what have you. And that's one of the things that we continue to prioritize in this work.
Speaker 14: And I just want to add that we organize like we are all organizers, So we organize not just at election time.
Speaker 5: This is an ongoing process.
Speaker 14: So whatever happens on election day, we still have a commitment to our community to build and grow because the way we win election after election is by building this movement and growing our base. So our commitment is always going to be first to grassroots movement, our organizers, and our communities to build and grow from every moment.
Speaker 19: And that's the difference between a third party movement that's actually on these streets versus third party movements that parachute every four years with us a.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it, Okay, I want to talk about it. So on that point, there are a lot of folks that here wishless and pie in the sky agendas from third party candidates, and you guys are very serious about organizing all the way down ballot. Can you talk about what the role of the Working Families Party is in this election, where do you all stand in the presidential election and then down ballot?
Speaker 19: Sure, well, the Working Families Party every and we've been around for twenty six years, so every single election year we're making close to one thousand endorsements. This election year we have seven hundred and fifty close so seven hundred and fifty endorse candidates. That means that in California we have one hundred and thirty four candidates that we've endorsed on the municipal level, on the state level as well, at the top of the ticket in Georgia, in Pennsylvania. So we're concerned with the state house because that's where the laws get made. Right, If you actually are serious about policies, policies that will actually make a difference in your lives, then you have to be focused on where the laws get made in city councils, which is why I'm so proud that in the city of Philadelphia it's a two party city, Working Families and Democrats right or in state houses or in Congress, which means you have to care about the down ballot races.
Speaker 6: And political parties.
Speaker 19: Political parties if you're to take them seriously, are not just about winning elections.
Speaker 6: They're about governing.
Speaker 19: And the real governing happens in those legislative bodies.
Speaker 6: So if you only hear.
Speaker 19: A political party talk about their presidential candidate every four years, it might mean they're not serious about governing, right, and governing is actually how we deliver. And I'd love for Nick, who you just got your first bill passed, right, and Kendra to talk about these cow crete victories that they worked day and night with our coalition to pass through Philly City Council, because these are transformative.
Speaker 20: Peter Brooks, you want to start first, Okay, Well, yeah, very well, thank you very much for saying that. I am pretty proud of our staff and our team who helped put together our first bill passed with an overwhelming support from our colleagues to ban algorithmic rental price fixing. There is we are in Philadelphia every election cycle, we're reminded over and over again that we're the poorest big city in the USA about nearly fifty some forty percent of the residents of the city, meaning almost every other person you see as a renter. And you already heard the folks up in New York talk about the rent being too damn high.
Speaker 9: It's too high here too, and so how.
Speaker 20: Do we govern in a way that protects tenants here in the city of Philadelphia. As the folks say, all politics is local. I heard someone say recently, if it is, if all politics are local, then all local politics is housing, because that's one of the material ways by which we're able to secure people and create safety, and and and and also build from there. So we're super proud to be able to go ahead and put forward something that's going to help materially protect the lives of almost half the city or at least have shelter over their heads.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 1: Oh, Okay, So I wanted to address this third party issue, but one more just to like double click on this and get even closer to the point. For the presidential candidate, you know, the options that you have. Did you all choose a candidate?
Speaker 19: Yes, we did, and I want to tell you why.
Speaker 1: I want to know who it is.
Speaker 19: Okay, Okay, So the Working Families Party endor endorsed Kamala Harris and Tim.
Speaker 1: Walls for all the third party candidates watching.
Speaker 6: Did you hear that?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 6: Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 19: And we're independent, So I'm not a Democrat, all right, I'm proudly an independent person who's building an independent third party from the ground up. Right, So we're not we're not democrats and sense we're independence. We're building independent power. And like I said before, our job is to tell the truth. Building a serious third party in this country that has such a rigid two party system is not easy.
Speaker 6: Serious, it is not easy.
Speaker 19: Look, Rothbaro couldn't do with all of his money in nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 6: It is not easy.
Speaker 19: But we've learned the art of doing it right, and we have the receipts to prove that it can be done, not just in this city, but now in twenty states around the country. We're building it and we're securing concrete victories.
Speaker 6: Like we're talking about here.
Speaker 19: We could not see based on the power that we currently had, and we currently are building a path for us to run our own person at the top of the ticket number one.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 19: So being an organizer is being honest with your people about the power that you have and the power that you need.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 19: And math right, Oh, Also, I mean the other thing is that you know so it's basic math. It's basic math. The math does not math for a independent third party, based on the current rules to win the electoral college two hundred and seventy electoral college votes to win the presidency. So also, we are in a historic moment where if the hate rally at MSG didn't let you know, we're dealing with a hate movement, a fascist movement, an authoritarian movement, and so that contrast couldn't be more clear for us. So this is a five alarm fire for our democracy. We as an independent third party, understood what time it was, and we felt it was our duty to communicate to all the people that entrust in us their political decisions, to say with our full chest that we've endorsed Kamala Harrison Tim Walls so that we could have more space to do the organizing that we've been doing right now. We don't believe that any politician is going to save us right Our belief is in organizing in our people, and we believe in this binary choice that there's one choice that gives us more space to organize, and there's another choice that gives us less space. And it isn't theoretical. There's one side that's talking about deporting protesters. There's one side that's talking about rounding up their political opponents. And so it is actually for us not a hard decision, right, which is why.
Speaker 6: We don't shrink.
Speaker 19: We're clear when we make endorsements, we say it with a full chest, and we could stand on twenty six plus years of organizing and doing work on local communities to validate that when we say this, we mean it.
Speaker 5: I want to.
Speaker 3: Stick with this third party issue because I think this is something that came up a lot this year, particularly around a lot of people. When it was Joe Biden on the ticket, there were a lot of people who felt not enthusiastic about either person. We did an episode. I encourage you guys to all check it out. We did a full conversation on third party candidates and what that means, and I think we should have an intellectual conversation around third parties. A two party system has not served our community and arguably it has not served anyone. It has not served the country, and as we start to reimagine what democracy could and should look like, I don't think we should dismiss third parties. Like the work you're doing, it's important that you punctuate the point it's taken twenty six years to build this. The challenge is a lot of people who champion a third party. The presidential race is very seductive, but when you think about it, there are plenty. There's a plethora of third party candidates who've been victorious across this country at the state and local level. That is where you can start to make a difference. So I don't want to discourage people who are out there who feel this way. We acknowledge that. Angela and I frequently say we are not mouthpieces for the Democratic Party. They don't call and ask us for too much because we are critical. We understand racism, like we've said, is a bipartisan challenge, but there is a pathway.
Speaker 5: To victory for third party candidates.
Speaker 3: So I think it's important the story that you just told about the work that you do, that that work happens at the grassroots level.
Speaker 5: So thank you for that.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I would also say, we got to be honest about the limitations at the federal level, which is why I appreciate I was honored to get the endorsement of the Working Families Party in Florida.
Speaker 1: Say which full chance Andrew this.
Speaker 4: This is the worst part about it is that from the Constitution of the United States to the effectuating statutes and laws that have been passed ever since, they exist only to prop up the two party systems. Dollars come from the federal government to support the Democratic Party and the Republican Party. It finds every way possible under the laws and constructs that it's created to keep third parties out of the game, to ensure that that your negotiation is always one between which one will create a better organizing environment for you, rather than you setting the tone of what that organizing environment will be by being the party that wins. And so I think one of the things that I think we're all challenged to do is we reimagine the kind of government that would be reflective of us rather than of power structures and power structures specifically that don't serve us. Is how we can get serious about organizing at a level where we can then put people in positions from states legislative races to congressional races and our forward that will pass laws or at least uncouple the stranglehold that our current laws have to prop up only to political parties in America.
Speaker 7: Unless that system gets leveled.
Speaker 4: There's no chance at a third party competing at the and no amount of money will make the difference in that when the laws are on the books specifically to keep a third party out, you gotta have so many many people in a state, you gotta have so many votes from so many people in that particular congressional district, so on and so forth, and so I applaud with y'all are doing. It is the long work, and it's the hard work. But we all have to be enlisted if we're serious about wanting to level the system as that he just today and opening I think our investment and groups like Working Family Party.
Speaker 1: We can't have a conversation about third parties without bringing on our dear brother and friend, Professor Mark Lamont Hill, who's here. Mark, I'm gonna give you my seat and I'm gonna take the float to mic because I want you to be a part of this conversation in this panel.
Speaker 5: Give them where I'm call.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you all want to know you.
Speaker 21: Picked to day to have the accident of all accidents. So I spent the last hour running back and forth to the car, to the stove, to the blowout.
Speaker 5: Oh that kind of blowout.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he fine, I'm not.
Speaker 5: Traumatizic.
Speaker 16: Well.
Speaker 1: I wanted to bring Mark up for this moment for a couple of reasons. One is, I think the biggest argument we've ever had is centered around twenty sixteen, and I think what is not fair is that you've, although you've tried several times to articulate the nuance of your position, it's something that continues to come back. And I think that this year in particular, given all that's going on, given your advocacy around Gaza and your own experience there, it's a critical election and you've made a really significant choice about what you're going to do this year, and i'd love for you to talk about, you know, what the considerations were and how you got there.
Speaker 21: Yeah, thank you for that. It's been a heck of a journey. And it's good to see everybody too, So good to see everybody. Most of y'all only see online, so it's good to be in person and community with everybody. I've been a Green Party member since.
Speaker 6: Twenty five years now.
Speaker 21: And I remain one a very proud Green Party member, despite my frustrations at times, and over that time, I have consistently, with one exception, voted Green and the reason why I vote Green is because I do believe in the need for a third party. And I think I didn't hear what y'all were just talking about, but I heard the end of it, and I think we have to create the conditions for a third party.
Speaker 6: And I think that as long as we believe that there are.
Speaker 21: There's only two options, and it's the lesser of two evils is our only option, and the evil is always going to be the outcome that we're going to get. And so we always have to be mindful of how we can push Democrats to the left, how we can imagine new political possibilities so we don't stay locked in the same frameworks. And so for me, that has meant voting Green, not because I think Jill Stein was gonna be president.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't know if i'd be happy.
Speaker 21: I think I would not be happy if Jill Stein were a president as a practical matter, but I'd be happy if the Green Party were able to build and organize and if we were able to get five percent of the vote, we were able to we would be able to get enough funding in order to have a more competitive race the next time around, not just for the presidency, which we ain't gonna win no time soon, but gubernatorial races, mayoralties, city councils, et cetera. So that's the logic of it for me. And I've always resisted the argument that, well, this election is different because it ain't been an election yet that we haven't been told this one is different. It wasn't like, you know, they said, I don't vote cars, Okay, Reagan will be fine. It wasn't like they said, oh, Daddy, Bush will be fine. Bush will be fine. Trump every time the sky is falling, every time, this is the worst threat to Democrat we've ever seen, and therefore you have to vote Democrat. Now, the truth is Republicans keep getting worse, and so it's not untrue that this is the worst threat. I would argue Trump is a worst threat than Bush, and Bush maybe not a worse threat than Reagan, but in retrospect.
Speaker 6: But you get the point. So that's the backdrop to all of this.
Speaker 21: And so this election cycle, I was faced with the same challenging question that we argued about in twenty sixteen, and that was what do you do.
Speaker 6: When you're facing a Trump.
Speaker 21: In twenty sixteen, My response was exactly what I had planned for, which was I voted Green. I said that not because I thought Trump would be good, but because I.
Speaker 6: Believed that the.
Speaker 21: Context was right for us to really mount a resistance. Now, to be clear, even when I voted Green in twenty sixteen, y'all know I live in Pennsylvania. I really was advocating Green Party voting in the forty two states that are not competitive because if you think of because they always say your vote, you wasting your vote.
Speaker 6: If you vote, you waste your vote.
Speaker 21: If you vote anything in Mississippi or California or Texas other than the thing that's.
Speaker 6: Going to win.
Speaker 9: I mean what I mean by waste.
Speaker 21: What I mean by waste is if I'm a Republican voting in California. I'm not making a dent either. I'm talking at the level of president. I think down to ballot you should Down ballot is a whole different conversation. I'm only talking about presdential election right now. Down ballot, I think we have to be very careful and very strategic because Republicans have been.
Speaker 6: Strategic for decades.
Speaker 21: Right while we're thinking about the presidency, they went in state houses, they're taken over. They're doing all the things necessary to ruin our lives in very meaningful, day to day way. So I'm not saying your vote doesn't matter. What I'm saying is that we could be strategic and still build a third party. For me, that meant vote trading and strategic balloting. So and so, for example, I'm in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 6: I might not vote Green.
Speaker 21: In California, I would, and if you know somebody is in that state, y'all can vote trade. Right, There's ways to navigate it so that the Green Party gets its vote and we keep Trump out. What I said that entire time in twenty sixteen was we have to do whatever we can do to keep Trump out while simultaneously building a third party movement. Now sometime that message gets lost in all because all people all I ever see on the internet is a clip of me saying we can afford to lose an election.
Speaker 6: We can. You know, I'm you know, things that I wouldn't say in context.
Speaker 21: I never wanted Trump to be in there, and I did all I could to stop it, but they lost. And one more thing about that before I tell you what I'm going to do now. The election wasn't lost because of Green Party, you know, And I think that that's an unfair burd I think it lets democrats off the hook for not meeting our needs. I think it ignores the effect that the Clinton campaign in particular did not target the right states at the right time and the right demographics. You know, no one is entitled to our vote. And also if you look at the vote also, just to be nerdy, but if you look at the exit ata, people who are voting Green aren't voting Democrat next, some of them voting Trump next, some of them are not voting at all next, some of them are voting Communist Party next, some of them voting Socialists next. A lot of people are in the Green Party because they don't want to be part of the main system. So even if the Green Party doesn't run, clardaated La Cruz will probably get their vote. And I know people say, if I don't vote for them, I'm voting Trump because I want to be outside the system, as if he's outside the system.
Speaker 6: So I don't accept any of that.
Speaker 21: This time around, I was faced with a very similar challenge, and I was faced with the realities of a genocide in Gaza. And as I stand in strong solidarity with Palestinian people. Many of them have said genocide is a red line for them.
Speaker 6: It's a non starter.
Speaker 21: They can't vote for anybody who is endorsing a genocide. Now, obviously, Kamala Harris is not the head of the Biden administration. Biden is the head of the Biden administration, and if she promised a different way, I think she could make a compelling argument. Unfortunately, much of what she has spoken about so far has suggested that it's the status quote, we support Israel's right to defend itself, which is really secret agent talk for you know, we're gonna keep funding these weapons in these bombs. I have no reason to believe that the harrison is going to be different, because I have no presidential administration has been largely different.
Speaker 6: So you have to tell me you're going to be different. You can't.
Speaker 21: I can't assume you know what I mean. We did that with too many other presidents. So then the question becomes, well, if that's the same, what do I do? And I would never tell a Palestinian not you know what I mean, not to stay home or not to vote third party?
Speaker 6: How could I? How dare I right?
Speaker 21: How dare I, in the midst of a genocide, say, vote for the person who's literally funding or helping to fund your genocide. And whether it's Biden, whoever, Let's be clear, Trump ain't not Trump would be worse. So that's one one thing I also have to calculate is despite what we're saying, Trump on stage said the only thing I would do different is I finished the job. And we saw Trump treated Palestinians and as president, so we don't have to guess under he cut funds and did all these things we could talk about if we want to, far more intensely than Biden did, and Biden's been terrible. So if I then make a vote right now, it would not be for a policy different policy outcome. It would be for UH to send a message that genocide is unacceptable.
Speaker 6: And I'm down with anybody who wants to make that choice.
Speaker 21: But I believe right now, given what we've seen in the past, given the reality of what's going on in Gaza, and I do believe that more Palestines would die under Trump than under Harris, even though I think too many will die under both. And in light of the fact that there are other things that I witnessed over the last eight years that have.
Speaker 6: Broken my heart. My father, My father died alone.
Speaker 21: Right down the street at twenty third in spring Garden because we couldn't see him.
Speaker 6: You saw him.
Speaker 21: We went and visited him one night. We snuck and snuck in anyhing stale, just getoraded of leave him some gatory.
Speaker 6: I can't remember.
Speaker 9: That's the okay.
Speaker 6: He didn't need it. Black people got sugar.
Speaker 21: So but after he let But once COVID came, he was he was older, he was ninety, but suddenly because of the pandemic, he couldn't.
Speaker 6: He couldn't, he couldn't see anybody. He was isolated.
Speaker 21: What does it mean to be an isolation inside of inside of a nursing home which became death camps all around this country, as did prisons. Now that ain't Trump's fault, but Trump could have done some things different, like read the pandemic playbook, not try to tell us the bleach you'll fix it, or the sunlight will fix it. My sister died likely of COVID the day of my father's funeral. But it's not personal for me. Hundreds, I mean all of us lost people, money, jobs, but more importantly, people. Those are preventable deaths, against the batch of all this other stuff, against the batch of losing the Supreme Court, and and what the Chevron decision is going to mean, and basically giving the president the license to kill almost and almost the Kingdom. When I look at all of this and I see another Trump presidency, I don't believe that Trump is the boogeyman in the sense that the people can't defeat him. But the way to defeat Trump, not all presidents, not most presidents, not any but Trump at this juncture history, I do think, is to do everything we can to vote him out. And for me, that means I am going to pull the lever tomorrow morning for Kamala Harris unless something. Let's she say something real crazy tonight. I mean, I mean real crazy.
Speaker 1: She's not gonna do nothing crazy. She's just gonna be down here with the roots.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you about about Gaza one.
Speaker 3: I just we were talking about you a little at dinner tonight, and I fully understand. I think we all do what it's like to stand on your convictions, even if you're the only person standing there. And I think had you made the comments that you did today, it would be a completely different reception. It's always the hardest when you're the first to say it, and people don't always move with the courage of their convictions. When we expect lions or hyenas to be lions, and you have to accept at the end of the day, people are simply hyenas. That's an original Tiffany cross quote and trying to be aer But you know, I think a lot of people echo your concerns and I was really I breathed the sigh of relief after you carry us through that, I'm like, who did he vote for? I'm so happy that that you did. But there I'm torn. As a black woman. I feel so overcome with joy and pride when I pulled that lever, when I clicked her name, and when I see her become president, I will just explode. There is also my humanity, and I think about the fifty thousand plus because I don't believe the numbers that we're putting out. When you look at Western media, it's a very different story than what you see elsewhere. Fifty thousand people and we always say women and children, but men too, like their lives matter too. When we see the devastation the raw devastation, and that we are supporting a government that is funding that. What would you say to people who feel so incredibly torn by our humanity and also the history of this moment.
Speaker 21: I'm gonna tell you not to appeal to authority, which would be a logical fallacy university students, But I'm gonna say with Angela Davis told me, but I asked. She's been on this struggle a lot longer than I have even on this issue, and we were together maybe a month ago in Chicago and we talked about it, and what she said to me is, and it's not the first time someone has said this, but it hit me differently this time, is that we are voting for the person who will give us the most terrain to fight.
Speaker 6: It's really that simple. I know what it's like to fight what's happening in Palestine under Trump. Trump.
Speaker 21: The moving the embassy the Jerusalem, the US embassy to Jerusalem is something that was actually signed under Clinton in the nineties, in ninety six, I believe ninety five. But every Democratic, every president, Republican Democrat, has punted on it. They just signed a waiver so they don't have to actually move it. Because nobody really wants to smoke. It was a class of Clinton. Move, get the credit for it, but then don't do it, so everybody happy, and every president has ignored it. Trump said no, no, no, I ain't signing nothing. Move the embassy, which is a Provac's illegal ad.
Speaker 6: It's a provocation.
Speaker 21: UNRWA is the source of food, clothing, and shelter for most Palestinians. He cut all US funds to UNRWAH.
Speaker 10: For no.
Speaker 6: He didn't even pretend to give a reason.
Speaker 21: There's a cruelty to Trump that doesn't even allow him to be pushed or moved. I believe I'm gonna even say I know that Kamala Harris's decision about the vice presidential choice was at least taking into consideration the voices of people on the ground, who, especially in this state, who expressed their concerns about jos Shapiro. I don't know what she was gonna do. I'm not in her head, but I do know that they were listening. It's not much to just say we listen, but I do think it matters. I do think that a more humane position on Palestine matters, not because I think we're going to vote our way whether the US is going to get religion and change on Israel Palestine right away. But it is the difference between somebody living and somebody dying. And so what I say is, if you think I mean what Bobby Womack say, if you think you're lonely, now wait until tonight. You know what I'm saying. Like it's bad, but wait, let trump and see what it's gonna be. Even for the people who are the most vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Well come, well come, well come, well come, well come, come.
Speaker 1: We are I see the hands. We're gonna take a quick question. There are two questions we're gonna take. Uh, we're gonna take this sister here, first in the in the Burgundy that's the color that followed by the way, shout out to Burgundy. I'm gonna make sure I get y'all's predictions. And then we're gonna wrap because we apparently we're gonna run to this train and now looks like it's on time.
Speaker 3: We yeah, I know, bye, y'all, I'm gonna meet you at That is so rude.
Speaker 1: You can't take the car.
Speaker 5: We shared a car.
Speaker 1: Car pull and say yes, ma'am, oh you.
Speaker 3: Need we got to We'll get We'll get you because we want to have a question too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 22: I am Jenese Sis. I'm a senior here at Temple University. A journal is a major Afrocology and African American Studies minor. I'm also the co president editor in chief of her campus, Temple if anybody wants to read. I had a question about mobilizing for the third party. I know, for myself and for many students, we have so much on our backs, you know, have to focus on so many different things. It's sometimes hard to know if there's another option, but we are all very dissatisfied with the two party system. I'm just asking, is there a suggested plan of action in order to mobilize people to understand who the third party option is if there's multiple fourth parties, but just any way to kind of get out of the confines of the two party system.
Speaker 14: Councilwoman Brooks sure, like we have maybe one second because I made I made a mistake.
Speaker 5: Zoe, can you stand for a moment.
Speaker 1: So we're supposed to have another panelist and we got wrapped up in this and I completely forgot. But well, if you don't mind, the executive director of for US dot US, and I want to make sure you may even be able to answer part of this contextualize in some of the important work you all are doing around immigration.
Speaker 23: Thank you, it's been so nice to.
Speaker 5: It's been so nice to be here.
Speaker 23: I'll just say that, you know, I came today to talk a little bit about some of the work that we've been doing, particularly around justice reform and trying to pull on criminal justice reform, because if you believe sort of a lot of the punditry, they'll have you thinking that there was a bunch a big wave around justice and a big polanetization around justice, and then now we're having this big backlash around voters caring about this other issue that is safety. And what we see in the polling time and again is that voters are smarter than that and have been informed by four decades of mass criminalization and mass incarceration. And you know, went into American families and went into American adults that are going to vote tomorrow or have voted, have experienced incarceration and their immediate families, and I was moved, and many others were when mister Gillham, you talked about that when you were running for office, and so anyways, it's one examp of one issue. That is where we've been sort of forced into these binaries we've been talking about all evening and forced into false choices. But really voters are looking for different solutions and know that they can have different solutions on this one and many others. So thanks for giving me the mic for a second.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 14: So okay, So, being like what we do here for Working Families Party, we do national mobilizations and your other students can get online and do our I think it's monthly calls with mobile around mobilization local here in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: We have our office at fifteenth and Ridge.
Speaker 14: We do several events, mainly focusing going young people. We've been doing like progressive young progressive folks meet up. I see some constant people in a room. So it makes me feel good that we're getting the work done.
Speaker 6: Our job is to.
Speaker 14: Make sure that you're connected to organizing tools right here in the city, whether it's issue based work was just a political landscape. Working Families Party has something to you. I would encourage you go to our website and tap in and we can figure out exactly what it is that you want to do to get involved, because for us, mobilization is a personal thing.
Speaker 5: Like I'm not telling you what to do.
Speaker 14: It's you to come in and bring your own skill set to help us grow.
Speaker 5: Thank you. We got one more name and where you're from.
Speaker 24: My name is Lisa. I am a student here. I'm connected to the School of Social Work and ideal. My question is, uh, what would make a third party viable? And what about doing like a coalition with other parties that may have the same ideals ultimately speaking to you know, seek for the ultimate conclusion.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 19: So just a few things we organize every sing in order to expand the conditions for a third party. And some of those things aren't going to happen overnight, but we're in the courts, so that fusion voting, for example, which exists in Connecticut and New York, can be the law in more states which allows third party, our third parties to have ballid access in a way that doesn't get into that whole spoiler dilemma problem. So that's number one, it's a legal fix that we're trying to spread to more states. Number two, we're a non sectarian party interested in the interest of working people and so we build our party as a coalition party, So we build with labor unions and grassroots organizations, and we're truly a grassroots democratic party. You all could know about the arguments that we have every single day on the local level about who do we endorse and what direction do we take, and which piece of legislation on the state level.
Speaker 6: The local level we align with.
Speaker 19: So we're trying to demonstrate what that broad based sort of coalition looks like, where we're bringing in immigration organizations and organizations that are led by people who are returning citizens, and organizations that are led by the LGBTQ community, and organizations that have a different position, you know, on on the environment. We bring all of those folks together through the Working Families Party to be the electoral expression of a very very broad diverse movement.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mo, you're in trouble.
Speaker 6: Mo, we heard we got you in trouble.
Speaker 7: You closing all Moe's on a time time frame.
Speaker 1: We think we're so thankful for Working Panils Party, our partner here, Kindred and Nick. We're grateful.
Speaker 4: Zoe.
Speaker 1: I want to bring you up really quick to give us your prediction and close us. Now, we got to wrap up this show.
Speaker 5: Come on real quick.
Speaker 1: Who do you think is going to win tomorrow? And what are the electoral college votes looking like?
Speaker 5: You go right there? I have no idea.
Speaker 23: I am concerned and I am I am extremely hopeful that we end up in a situation where we are able to organize the next president to do things like grant commutations, which we should also push President Biden to do and his lame duck, and that we are able to push the next president to you know, get the Sentencing Commission running and changing sentences. So I'm ready to move to policy, and I really hope that we're working with someone that will help us get there. I have my own personal ideas, but I'm non partisan professionally.
Speaker 5: So thank you.
Speaker 3: And can we shout out to people who came from Jersey, Yeah to the Jersey fight.
Speaker 5: How are coming out?
Speaker 1: Thank you all so much. We know that there are so many things pressing on your time.
Speaker 6: It is election eve.
Speaker 1: If you haven't voted already, please make sure you go and pull the lever like our dear brother Mark la myt heil tomorrow. I don't know which camera I'm looking at, but we are closing out this show, this one. Thanks, welcome, Thanks, and.
Speaker 5: We don't mean to be Welcome y'all for.
Speaker 9: The last morning. Say thank you for joining the Natives.
Speaker 2: Attention to what the info and all of the latest Roy Gillum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our sol shows. Thank you sincerely for the patients. Reason for your choice is clean, so grateful and took to execute role for serve, defend and protect the truth you've been.
Speaker 6: In paint for.
Speaker 2: Welcome home to all of the Natives, wait, thank you, Welcome y'all.
Speaker 6: Welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcast from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.