Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 1: It's America's only sorts for news. This It's The Daily Show with your host Michael cough.
Speaker 3: Whoa love methought It well thought Eily Show. I'm Michael Costa.
Speaker 4: We've got so much to talk about tonight. America is on the operating table. Penguins are marching to a recession. The stock market parties like it's nineteen twenty nine. But the thing everyone's talking about now is Trump's big, beautiful tariff.
Speaker 1: So let's get into the latest.
Speaker 5: My favorite word, my favorite word, traps.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, Donald Trump are now sweeping tariffs across the entire globe, Asia, South America, Narnia, Arndale, Wakanda, Bachelor Nation. If you can imagine it, Trump slapped a terrif on it. And today the reviews came in.
Speaker 1: Carnage on Wall Street.
Speaker 6: Market's falling, tumbling, stocks plunging down, down downs, The Nazac's getting crushed.
Speaker 1: Small caps are getting crushed. This is a shock to the system. It is ugly out there, worse than worst case scenario. Stocks are getting slashed and burned.
Speaker 7: Two and a half trillion dollars vaporized, two.
Speaker 4: Point five trillion dollars vaporized, your kid's college fund, disintegrated, your four oh one k given the death penalty, your pension waterboard in Guantanamo. Those stocks you're nana gave you twenty years ago. Accidentally stepped in a landmine while vacationing in Vietnam. Economists say we could be on the verge of a recession. So things are scary right now, but don't worry. The only thing the president is better at than negotiating is speaking soothing words of comfort in times of need.
Speaker 8: We have heard from President Trump. He took the truth social wrote this. The operation is over, The patient lived and is healing. The prognosis is that the patient will be far stronger, bigger, better, and more resilient than ever before.
Speaker 1: Boy, I feel so much better now, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean always reassuring when the surgeon comes out screaming at the top of as lung as, the patient is fine, Everything is going great.
Speaker 3: Does anybody have a mob?
Speaker 4: The thing is the patient didn't need major surgery. We just needed a teeth cleaning. Keep it clean and shiny. No one wants to wake up from heart surgery to their dental hygiena shouting.
Speaker 1: I think he's gonna live. Also, the patient is gonna be bigger.
Speaker 4: Was the surgery a penis and enhancement, If so, what kind was it? Latex injections, scrotoplasty, ligament extension, ventral fallow plasty, a fat transfer to enhancedkirt.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think those are the options. I don't know. Now.
Speaker 4: Look, you could argue that it's bad that my retired seventy eight year old mom is polishing up her resume now, but to Donald Trump, it's all worth it because we're correcting a grave injustice.
Speaker 7: President Trump says, the higher penalties come and respond to tariff's those countries impose on American products.
Speaker 1: They import reciprocal.
Speaker 4: That means they do it to us, should we do it to them?
Speaker 3: Very simple?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very simple. And that it is simply not true, all right. The reality, the reality is that the numbers on his board are not the tariffs other countries are charging us. They're actually they actually represent the trade deficit between the US and those countries, meaning we buy more stuff from them than they buy from us.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna repeat this. Those numbers don't represent the tariffs.
Speaker 4: They represent that we buy more stuff from them than they buy from us. That means we're basically punishing other countries for selling us stuff that we want. This is like me going to John Varvados and beating the shit out of him because I like his socks. Why don't you ever buy my socks, John Varvados, I don't make any socks. But that's no excuse. But that's really what's going on. It's not actually about tariffs. It's about other countries not buying enough of our stuff. Although Howard Lutnik, Commerce Secretary and Cologne Sponge had another way to put it.
Speaker 9: I mean European Union won't take chicken from America. They won't take lobsters from America. They hate our beef because our beef is beautiful and theirs is weak.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable they won't. We can't sell corn to India. We can't sell rice to Asia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, although I'm not sure tariffs for the reason we can't sell rice to Asia. I think they figured rice out about ten thousand years ago.
Speaker 1: Now if they want to add a rony, well then let.
Speaker 3: Us know.
Speaker 4: You got that figured out by the way Europe's beef is week.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that's not true.
Speaker 4: They famously have a running from the beef event where the beef tramples people. You know what, I'm not too concerned about Donald Trump not understanding how his tariffs works, because he's Donald Trump. He doesn't understand how to make money running a casino. The important thing is that there are adults in the room, like Scott Besson Treasury secretary in college.
Speaker 1: Dan who understands that boys will be boys. That guy's gonna have the answers we need.
Speaker 7: What do you expect to stock market to look like when it opens tomorrow?
Speaker 1: In reaction to this, I don't know should we view these as permanent again?
Speaker 8: I think we're gonna wait and see how this plays out.
Speaker 4: Do you plan on having negotiations before that date?
Speaker 7: I just don't know if they're going to be negotiations.
Speaker 2: Canada and Mexico notably missing on that chart.
Speaker 1: Why is that? I'm not sure you know? I have a question. Do you know anything? Why are you out here doing interviews?
Speaker 4: It's not very reassuring to have the Treasury Secretary of the United States going, oh, you know what, maybe they can't give us clarification, because there isn't clarification. We just assume they have a good reason for imploding the economy, because why else would you implode the economy. But then you uncover something like this and you realize, I'm not sure they even know what they're doing.
Speaker 7: Every country on the list faces at least ten percent tariffs, even small remote places like the Hurd and McDonald Islands. They are near Antarctica and covered in glaciers, home to many penguins but no people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we put a ten percent tariff. We put a ten percent tariff on an island that only has penguins. Trump would have been better off tariffing that island. Tom Hanks got stranded on at least that one guy in that little volleyball he was fucking.
Speaker 1: Is this a mistake?
Speaker 4: Look, I know old people butt dial strangers all the time, but this is the first time I've heard of someone butt tariffing an entire country. For more on these tariffs, let's go live to that uninhabited penguin island with Grace Kohl and Schmid.
Speaker 1: Race.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Grace. Hold on, Wait, Grace.
Speaker 1: Hold on, why why are you dressed like a penguin?
Speaker 10: Because I'm a serious journalist, Michael, I wanted to embed myself with the locals to get the real story. And that's why I disguise myself as a penguin and learned their culture and made it with the hottest one.
Speaker 4: Good, hottest one. But every penguin looks the same.
Speaker 10: No, they don't all look alike, Jordan Klepper.
Speaker 1: Wait, Okay, point taken.
Speaker 4: But Grace, I'm sure your reporting has shown that putting tariffs on the penguins is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 10: At first, I too thought that Trump putting tariffs on this uninhabited island was a sign that he had suffered brain damage. But after spending a week here in negative eleven degrees and drinking lots of seawater, I totally see where he's coming from. The penguins are taking total advantage of America. We buy all their skins to make tuxedos. But have they ever but have they ever bought any.
Speaker 11: Fish from us?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Why why would I buy fish from us? They're on an island surrounded by fish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but our fish comes in stick form.
Speaker 10: My grandfather was a fish stickerman, and these penguins are the reason he lost his job. Also, he got me tooed Fly Plus America makes a lot of other things penguins don't buy, soybeans, natural gas, grenade launchers.
Speaker 4: Look, penguins don't need any of that stuff.
Speaker 10: Oh why because they're too stupid.
Speaker 1: Nope, because they don't have thumbs.
Speaker 10: Well, they don't have thumbs while they're fucking me either, But they're doing that perfectly fine.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, Grace, Okay, I think you've been in that suit too long.
Speaker 1: Why don't you just come home, Cousta.
Speaker 10: I have a family of penguins to look after.
Speaker 1: I'm a mother now and.
Speaker 10: They just got eaten by a seal.
Speaker 11: I'll be home tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Well, Grace, cool and smaid, everybody, Well we come back.
Speaker 11: We discover the next generation of hacks.
Speaker 1: Don't go away. Welcome back to Dalla Show.
Speaker 4: It's no secret that journalism is in a state of crisis, but in this new media landscape, new stars are emerging every day. So to find out who some of them are, we go to Jordan Klepper. In our new segment news.
Speaker 1: To Meet You.
Speaker 6: Tonight, we highlight a journalist who has quickly established himself as the new paragon of the free press. Chief White House correspondent for Real America's Voice Brian Glenn, who recently made a name for himself when he pressed Ukrainian President Zelenski on a matter of global importance.
Speaker 2: Why don't you wear a suit?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 1: Why don't you wear a suit?
Speaker 2: You're the highest level in this country's office and you refuse to wear a suit.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: Finally, the questions that matter now. Most lamestream reporters would ever dream of asking a.
Speaker 1: Question like that.
Speaker 6: They'd call it stupid or unnecessary or Jesus Christ. Brian the man's fighting for his country survival? What kind of question is that?
Speaker 1: I don't know, you don't know?
Speaker 6: That's that is not Glenn's style. And if this was your first time hearing about Brian Glenn, then good sir, you need to accept your uncle's Facebook friend request. Glenn got his start in Dallas, Texas, where he honed his craft covering the most dangerous stories.
Speaker 2: Alight, do I just jump into why don't you freak?
Speaker 3: Don't just invite me.
Speaker 1: To tell me? Jump up here with what corning?
Speaker 2: Whoa?
Speaker 1: Everybody follow me? You see?
Speaker 2: If we've got some dance moves here? Now, this is something that you're obviously I haven't there we go.
Speaker 3: I like this one out.
Speaker 2: Hear out of hearing the stables this morning as these horses are.
Speaker 1: Enjoying some breakfast. You know what, I am ready for some racing.
Speaker 6: Yes, now there's a man who knows how to dress appropriately for work. Take notes to Landscape right here. Glenn has proved time and time again that good journalism comes down to grit, heart, proximity to horses, and above all costumes.
Speaker 2: I'm kicking these shoes off now, making the panting hose on.
Speaker 3: It does feel kind of good.
Speaker 6: Actually great, Wow, Wow, what courage, what bravery? I mean dressing in drag in Texas? I mean reporters haven't put their asses on the line like that since Saigon. So naturally, it was only a matter of time before Glenn was hired by Right Side Broadcasting Network, which is as legitimate as it sounds. And it was there at rsb N where he combines his love of human interest stories with his hate of most of human beings.
Speaker 2: Liberal women tend to be some of the ugliest women I've ever seen, and I'm serious, I mean zero makeup.
Speaker 1: They take no pride in them well, they want to be men.
Speaker 2: They take no pride in their in their in their dress. They're attired, their make up, their haircut. Half of them look like men. Harry armpits, Harry legs. Come on, that is not embracing, uh, what it means to.
Speaker 1: Be a woman. Wow.
Speaker 6: I love hearing about women's looks from a guy whose general vibe is sunburnt deborcee who's no longer allowed at his kids t ball games. There's something here, There's something right here. People don't want spin. They want reporters to deliver unbiased, fact based, hard news about which voters they bang.
Speaker 1: And it was these.
Speaker 6: Hot takes that brought Glenn all the way from the campaign trail to the steps of Air Force One.
Speaker 2: A lot of Americans think that this is symbolic of what your campaign was all about, America first, putting American people first, your thoughts on that we are well.
Speaker 1: But thank you.
Speaker 4: I like that question, boy, I want more questions like that. That's even a statement.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Brian Glenn's questions are so good.
Speaker 1: They're actually just statements. You know what.
Speaker 6: It's all a clever setup, like a like a hunter setting a trap. Butter them up and then hit him hard, show them out's DoD Brian.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about your polling numbers nationally.
Speaker 1: You're just crushing Biden.
Speaker 2: It continues to go up thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: He just said, I'm crushing Biden in the polls. That's true.
Speaker 11: I appreciate that question. Thank you, Brian, Thank.
Speaker 6: You for oh whoa oh amazing reportage. The way you know you're speaking truth to power is when power tells you what a great question. It's like if Frost Nixon was just Nixon. And these days Brian Glenn is showing he'll chase down a story no matter where it takes him, from the streets.
Speaker 1: To the sheets.
Speaker 7: Brian Glenn from Real America's Voice. He is the boyfriend of Marjorie Taylor Green.
Speaker 2: There you have it, Margie Taylor Green, thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure I will see you a little bit later.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'll see you later.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'll see you later. For the sex, man, can you feel that erotic heat to you know?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Violating journalistic ethics by not disclosing your sleeping with the politician you're interviewing.
Speaker 1: It's wrong. I don't want to be right and man, think.
Speaker 6: About this, think about this relationship. What does Marjorie Taylor Green hate most in the world.
Speaker 3: Jews?
Speaker 1: Maybe, but.
Speaker 6: Right after that, reporters and drag queens and Brian Glenn.
Speaker 1: Is both You know what.
Speaker 6: That's that's the power of good journalism. It doesn't just change minds, it changes hearts. So kudos to you, Brian Glenn. You went from embarrassing yourself on local news to embarrassing all of us on the national stage.
Speaker 1: But hey, at least you wore a suit.
Speaker 6: I'm Jordan Klopfer a good night and seriously good and luck.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Jordan. We come back. Scott Glenn will be joining on the show Don't Go Away, Jordan Cluffe. Awesome, welcome back to DARI show.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight is a legendary actor who makes a surprise.
Speaker 1: Appearance on HBO. Was the White Lotus. Please welcome Scott Glad.
Speaker 3: I love you, I love you, They love you.
Speaker 1: They love you. Look white Lotus.
Speaker 4: Uh, your character doesn't jerk off his brother, but he is a great mystery. How did you prepare for Jim Hollinger this character?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: The first thing I did when I when they offered me the part was I turned it down right.
Speaker 1: That's what I've been doing wrong this whole time.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I just finished a film call You Jane the Marine that was got tons of martial arts and dancing and sit like that. It was basically about it was about agism and how you deal with it when you're old and still have a lot left.
Speaker 3: In the tank.
Speaker 5: And they sent me a description of this old guy with a cane and I thought that went right, But I watched the show. So that night, Carol, my wife, and I watched the show, and inside probably fifteen minutes, I was sucked right into it. You know, I think I want to be a part of this deal. So I talked to Mike the next morning. He said, you play a guy who's lived in Thailand straight for fifty years, off and on for sixty years, and it was a Master of Fortune.
Speaker 1: How do you think he got it?
Speaker 5: And I know Thailand pretty well. So I just started doing that and looking into For me, the heavy lifting and the fun of acting is pretending that I'm getting ready to do the part, so I thought. So I thought years ago Moral and Brando taught me that every every language has a rhythm, every country without so saying he went back and forth between German and Japanese, without changing the pronunciation of words, just changing the rhythm, and all of a sudden he was German, then he was Japanese, and back and forth. So I thought, how do I find the rhythm of Thailand. I know, I'll start at the sort of white belt bottom bottom rung, learning something called kribby krabong, which is two short swords martial arts and something up there.
Speaker 1: You go to get ready for your acting role. I always do that, and he does. I haven't.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen all of the I mean, I haven't. I don't know what's coming. But Jim Hollins with the character is not a sword fighter.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, so no no, So why are you.
Speaker 4: Using swords to get ready for the Because because I I haven't booked an audition.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Now I just figured that that in learning the traditional marshal martial arts where you're going, you'll start to learn the rhythm of the place. It's just a way of me making excuses to have fun and learn something.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: That's sleep.
Speaker 1: He's a he's a mysterious character.
Speaker 4: We don't know if he killed the dad, if he's Walton Goggin's dad. What can you tell us or are you acting right now? By not giving it away?
Speaker 5: I can tell you stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned. All of your all of your characters have an intensity.
Speaker 4: And I love him, I mean the right stuff.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 4: Urban cowboy clok at that huh? Look at that the hunt for Red October I I I get the sense that you have an intensity offscreen as well in your life.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: No, I mean martial arts with knives.
Speaker 4: You've already told us, used to race motorcycles, open water, spearfish, ice climbing, skydiving.
Speaker 1: What is it about this stuff?
Speaker 4: Is acting just just a little the safest thing you do.
Speaker 5: The first time I ever jumped out, I was airborne in the Service, but it was static line jumped. So the first time I ever free fall the skydive was with a four time world champion up in Idaho and we took the doors office Essma. Went up, got out in the strut, made the jump. When I hit the ground, he came down after me. He ran after me. He said, quick without thinking, what's the most fun you've ever had in your life? With your clothes on? And I said, Opening Night off broad But.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 5: I want to do it again, and we did.
Speaker 1: We did three more jumps.
Speaker 5: That afternoon, but driving back to catch them, he said, your first instinct was opening night off Broadway, and I said, that's way sc scarier to me than if I jump out of a plane and everything goes south.
Speaker 1: It'll be over like that.
Speaker 5: Opening night for me in any theater that but especially off Broadway, when you're as close to the front row as I am to you right now. I always throw up in the afternoon. Fifteen minutes before I go on stage. I say, why the hell am I doing this? I get paid more than ten minutes of doing a TV show, and then maybe thirty seconds before I go on stage. The real truth is I'm a huge phony. I have no idea what I'm doing. And tonight the whole house of cards are going to fall in front of all those people out there. They're gonna They're gonna find out what I've always secretly expected.
Speaker 4: It's that challenge and that intensity that makes you feel alive.
Speaker 1: I just figured it out. Man.
Speaker 5: I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I think I'm right right. Uh, you know, we're not the same generation. And I love talking to men of a generation.
Speaker 1: Older than me. So I have a few questions for you, just to help me. Okay.
Speaker 4: One, I love riding motorcycles, but I have kids now and my wife is I've got to stop riding motorcycles. And I said, Scott, how do I have this conversation with my wife that this is when I feel live when I'm driving motorcycles.
Speaker 1: What do I say to her? Tell me right now.
Speaker 5: Go I'm going to do all of my riding and tracks from now on.
Speaker 1: Oh so, now i gotta go. I gotta go motorcycle track. All right.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gonna hear what she says, and then we'll have to bring you back and we'll do.
Speaker 1: Is it safe? I guess it would be safe because I'm not going to hit a deer or a car.
Speaker 5: The worst place to be for real is traffic.
Speaker 4: Right shit, I think that secures it for me. You live in Idaho. Not a lot of actors live in Idaho, and you've lived there for a long.
Speaker 3: Time, yeah, for five years.
Speaker 1: How is that influence your work?
Speaker 6: Does it?
Speaker 4: Was it important for you to not be in La or New York. I'm from Michigan. I love when people in show business live somewhere else.
Speaker 5: I love that whatever minor talent I have, I get from stealing behavior from people. I can see real behavior in a truck stop in Idaho, in La everybody is a slash.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm a gas station attendant, slash, screenwriting, I'm a waitress slash you know, TVs star. Yeah, there's nothing to steal from those people. Yeah, because they've slashed it to pieces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great answer.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: Lastly, then the White Load is there's a spectrum of men with issues.
Speaker 1: That are complex.
Speaker 4: They're seeking revenge, they have depression. Yeah, and I just you know, I feel men right now are struggling. There's the male friendship recession. Depression rates are high. This part isn't really funny. Suicide rates are. I'm very curious. I love the masculinity you portray, but what are your thoughts on men today?
Speaker 1: What can we steal?
Speaker 4: What can we learn from an older generation that would help us?
Speaker 5: Never pay a tariff?
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, we'll take that or whatever.
Speaker 11: I mean.
Speaker 4: The season finale of White loadus there Sunday on HBO and Max Scott Glad.
Speaker 1: Why do they a quick break?
Speaker 11: You're right back, that's that show for tonight now here it is your momentum zund.
Speaker 1: This is all great news for Detroit. My opinion did not come up with discussion last night.
Speaker 4: No, we talked about that in the Oval office a little bit, but no, dinner was a dinner was awesome.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was weirdly so awesome.
Speaker 5: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 3: Paramount Podcasts