Speaker 1: He is drinke Chans Motherfucking Podcast. Make He's a legendary queens rapper. He's agreed as your boy in O R E.
Speaker 2: He's a Miami hip hop yoneer put up as d J e f N.
Speaker 1: Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And the most professional, unprofessional podcast.
Speaker 1: And your number one source for drunk chans Mother every day is New Year's c Listen, It's time for drink Champions. Drink up, Mother Mother? What did it good?
Speaker 4: Be?
Speaker 1: Hoping to be your boy in O R E? What's going on as DJ e f N this minit tempic Cracy World Podcast? Make Some e f N.
Speaker 3: When we started this show, we said we want to give the flowers to icons. We said we wanted to give the flowers to legends. We said we wanted to give the flowers to people that came before us. This person that were introduced them today is not only a legendary DJ just a legend. It's just an icon. The person that catacalyized the game. I don't even know how to word spell it first. Definitely don't even even know how to spell McDonald's.
Speaker 1: She is icon.
Speaker 3: Legend a person that if it wasn't for her, there might not be you. And guess what, there might not be me, There might not be us, there might not be drink champs, there might not be nothing.
Speaker 1: Respect the DJs, the mother fucking dj When we found out that we had we booking her.
Speaker 3: Immediately for a while, but I immediately asks for her drink order, and I'm gonna be honest with you, her drink order has to be the wildest we've ever saw it.
Speaker 1: Really, I don't think she met all those drinks at the same time. Do you do you want to you do you want to say?
Speaker 2: The drinks that she ordered, it's all vodka, tequila, Hanny not Kanyac.
Speaker 5: No, this was different people. Kanya. Yes, as you noticed, ratchetness came out right. And then what else she said? No, no, no, it's no no.
Speaker 3: No, tequila whiskey and it's one more vodka.
Speaker 1: That's aboutka first.
Speaker 4: That's a Hennessy, that's a Hennessy privilege.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, But in case you don't know who we're talking about, were talking about the legendary, iconic, oh goddess person that I'm mad that we didn't throw flowers at her feet when she walked through because I had just landed, so I didn't I didn't think she don't.
Speaker 1: Know who he's talking about. It's about the one only mother.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I'm I'm off top. I'mnna be honest, Jamie.
Speaker 3: I'm doing vodking club soda immediately. Okay, are you doing something doing kah oh yea. I ain't gonna lie, man, I've been.
Speaker 4: I've been.
Speaker 1: I've been having conversations with your liver lately, with my liver liver.
Speaker 3: No, you're living texting my living and I'd be like, like you know what I mean, like your living.
Speaker 1: Chat and your living been. Like yo, man, this guy like just drinking too much. Different ship. Like they want you to stick. They want you to be black, stick with one liquor and you stick with four. I'm sticking with one. It's vodka and ma majuana. That's not one. That's one combination. Then you got beer. No, I'm not drinking beer.
Speaker 4: Beer.
Speaker 1: I drink beer after that's the afternoon. Ain't this drink cher, You're mature drink.
Speaker 3: So let's let's take it to the beginning, right, because everyone one documents your career from when you got with Salt Pepper, But.
Speaker 1: You had a whole life prior to that.
Speaker 4: I had a life period. I was not born in Sultan pep. You know you're not having like that. I started DJing before Salt and Pepper. But it wasn't like I was trying to be a DJ, and I just kind of picked it up.
Speaker 6: My high school boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Was a DJ, and I.
Speaker 4: You know, used to go to his house after school and we just would you know, be practicing, and he had he had a set of turntables. So I was learning the art and technique from him, and he did a few parties, took me along with him, and so I kind of picked it up there.
Speaker 1: So so, okay, what was the DJ name you had done? I didn't have a DJ name.
Speaker 4: I was just DD. I mean that's a lot. I mean that was enough for me. But I wasn't trying. Like again, I wasn't trying to be a DJ. It was just something I was interested in. But even before that, my dad was a collector, so he collected all this, you know, music collect music. He was an avid collector of all like the music. He had vinyl all of forty five. So I was from a child.
Speaker 1: Familiar thing and hearing all.
Speaker 4: The music, and I adopted you know, the music. You know, I guess my vast uh nature of music came from my dad. So I had that that before I even started on turntables.
Speaker 1: So let me let me, let me let me say something.
Speaker 3: As an MC, I realized the other day I always been jealous of the DJ.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, I mean that's how it all started. You guys were jealous of the DJ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I'm not gonna By the way, this is so constant.
Speaker 1: This is me talking sub consciousness.
Speaker 3: When we had mad Skills the other day, and MAS skills is like, yo, he prefers being a DJ over MC, and I was appalled because I'm an MC and I can't be a DJ.
Speaker 1: I suck. I tried.
Speaker 3: I could be an eye part DJ, that's about it. But when I realized parts anymore. Okay, So so what I realized was he said, he said, the reason why I like DJ in a little bit more is because I'm.
Speaker 1: Actually in control of the crowd.
Speaker 3: I had never heard that, so I literally cringed you a DJ, so you probably didn't catch it. So when he said it, I was like, because as an MC, if you don't like my music. I can't change your mind.
Speaker 1: DJ can change versus one. So what kind of power is that?
Speaker 3: Like, I'm sorry, I know I'm all over the place, but my DJ DJ butch Rock.
Speaker 1: We'll go to the club an hour early.
Speaker 3: And because I have a black crowd, I have a Latino crowd.
Speaker 1: I have a such a such crowd.
Speaker 3: So he'll go to the our earlier is black tonight.
Speaker 1: We're being Latino tonight. We're being We're being black tonight. We're being black Tino. You know what I'm saying, he'll do.
Speaker 3: When I spoke to Mad Skills, he said he didn't have to do that, he could just go and just read the crowd.
Speaker 1: And I was, I'm jealous of y'all. I'm just being I should have told you this off scene, the heart to that. I didn't know the heart to that. Like, so we're not just hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on. She need to drink. Yes, yes, yes, yes, you noticed. I was like, yes, and ladies, first, ladies, ladies.
Speaker 6: I don't know what do I want on the list?
Speaker 4: Let me see?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah you got a long list. Yeah that's what you want?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so so so let's get back to act. The art of DJing. I always.
Speaker 6: There's an art to it.
Speaker 3: I always underestimated you guys until I actually investigating and when I realized, holy ship, I ain't ship without a DJ. How does that feel to control the crowd?
Speaker 6: First of all, thank you for that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that's a compliment because it all started with the DJ, that's right. So the DJ would would you know, lock their set and they would leave a mic there for you know, someone to come up and grab the mic into, you know, do some crowd stuff in CrowdWork because they're working, they're they're up there doing their thing.
Speaker 1: But the power is.
Speaker 6: It just it just feels good because you can change moods. You can change.
Speaker 4: You know people's uh wherever they are, they can be sad. Yeah, you change the energy the vibes, and that's the most beautiful thing. And there were times that I, of course second guessed myself, just just as you, as an.
Speaker 1: M C would be like, you know, I idolize the m C.
Speaker 4: Well, DJs would feel the same way in a sense because we weren't always and I don't I'm going to speak for myself. Sometimes the MC was always in it, you know, in the front, and the DJ is is the one behind. So but when you know your power, and this is just with anything in life, when you know your power, you use it. And I you know, knowing that I could change people's mood and make them happy, sad, mad, you know, whatever their vibe is, I can I can change that. That that's powerful. So it's an It's inspiring to me as well as to those that's listening.
Speaker 3: You know, to every DJ in the world, I apologize for underestimating your job because I kid you not. It's the first thing I think of when I think of a party, I'm like, who's going to DJ?
Speaker 2: You know what you really should think about is every successful artist has a DJ. The DJ is the one that made them success. Of DJ and the and the obviously the consumer the audience was the DJ.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you, I'm spending At one point, the DJ was the focal point.
Speaker 1: Like it was like it was like you did not to say it like this, but you knew about rockhem but you kind of came to see Eric B. I don't want to like throw sort of salt and pepper. Damn, right, that's not crazy.
Speaker 3: I din't even realize, but at one point, you know, people really came to see you, like like they were like really like because the DJ was the forefront. When did that transition from the DJ being everything to the DJ being just behind?
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't don't want to transition. I feel like that was in Okay, let's think about it. The golden era of hip hop is considered probably the late.
Speaker 1: Eighties, eighties to early nineties, early nineties.
Speaker 4: To early nineties, and in that timeframe, so the late eighties, think of all the groups that had DJs, Houdini on DMC, l who J, Public Enemy, Public Enemy, Sultan Pepper, Jesse, Jeff, First Prince, that was the thing, right, even EPMD would.
Speaker 6: The Scratched you know once that moved, Gnaughty by Nature.
Speaker 1: Boys with Hurricane, the.
Speaker 4: Basti Boys, when that transitioned. I feel like that may have happened when the gangster era came in.
Speaker 2: Maybe you don't think instant replay I think had a big part in that when when artists said we don't really.
Speaker 3: Need we played equipment period, because we're saying when they moved.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking at the time frame. I don't know, like you know what particular, uh hardware.
Speaker 4: There was, you know, that transition that I'm looking at the time frame and when the DJ started to become more like behind the scenes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It started to the MC was.
Speaker 4: All in the front.
Speaker 6: So and that to me was around.
Speaker 2: Eighty eight, no later, because because I mean, everybody's gonna say, you're defending.
Speaker 1: The groups, we're out in the nineties.
Speaker 2: But even the gangster artists, like if you think about nw A had Dre and Yellow Quick DJ Quick after the fact, the alcoholics had East Swift and he's in mid nineties.
Speaker 6: Stick of mid nineties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well Tribe was out. You know, Tribe was my ship and they had a DJ DJ. I mean even artists. I'm just thinking of the time frame that when that transition happened.
Speaker 6: You had Wu Tang who was the DJ for Wu Tang.
Speaker 1: Mathematic Yeah, yeah, okay, So but.
Speaker 4: There was a switch there was a switch up that happened, and I'm looking at the timeframe and I feel like mid nineties to late nineties that changed.
Speaker 1: That changed.
Speaker 6: And I also remember when Kris One used.
Speaker 4: To talk about the DJ back like he actually did a song about DJs. This was like late was it the late nineties, I'm not sure when it was, but it made me think like he gave respect to the djh this is after the fact, this is when the DJ was kind of like in the background, faded out. But yeah, I mean daylight Saw. I mean I could go on and on how important the DJ is in a group, especially when it comes to hip hop.
Speaker 3: Well, at one point, the DJ was the most important, like shit the beginning. Yeah, I would like this in my own career. I remember at one point we used to go to Europe before and they were like, get them a steak.
Speaker 1: Let's see what you DJ got. They said what they said, we finished it, get.
Speaker 3: Off and then they were like, because because that's the concept we signed, our DJ will performed prior to us and then afterwards and the crowd movement so hip hop hip hop has been I feel like you come from the purest form of hip hop and I feel like, yeah, take some because And I'm gonna say it for myself. I was in the same time as the other day and my wife's friends pulled up and they was playing some music that was horrible. I mean, no, no, no, no, it wasn't horrible. It was horrible to my tasting. I'm a forty six year old man, I'm married, I'm in love, I have children, and I don't want to be hereing.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I was appalled. What song was that?
Speaker 6: That's what I want to know is St. Thomas?
Speaker 1: It wasn't the St. Thomas song.
Speaker 7: It was now it was you know your And when I was listening to these the young woman lyrics, oh ship.
Speaker 4: Who was you talking about?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying about, I am now the old man because I was saying, She's like, shoot up your block to make you know me?
Speaker 1: That shit is appalling. But they told my yeah, you have officially crossed that line. I can't say, as I say, I don't know what.
Speaker 3: By the way, I don't I'm not offenditive of her, but I was just like, damn, there's so much vulgar music, Like if I have a kid right now, just I'm gonna tell my kids listen to this.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so let me just remind you of what we listened to back then, some vulgar. I mean then did we not forget Luke?
Speaker 4: Do we not forget I mean little Kim and Foxy ground right there? I mean come on, huh.
Speaker 1: Oh, they had great things, but that was us. That was us then.
Speaker 4: So you know, we do have to consider that we are older and our tastes have probably developed different experience in life and just some things is just not suitable for you as it was before.
Speaker 6: You know, especially that you have children now different and that's okay.
Speaker 4: You know, we got to but we cannot front on the fact that we had vulgarity in our in our music back.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's vulgarity. It was vulgar. No, No, I'm not saying. I'm saying, I'm that's the issue. Maybe that I didn't even know push it was a sexual song. Yeah, but it wasn't. I mean, talk about it. Let's talk about it. I'm gonna be honest with you. But you eighties artists listen, let me be honest with you. Eighties artists.
Speaker 3: God exploit it sexuality, but they did it in taste that I.
Speaker 1: Later on in life quote on Oh, they're talking about this like subliminals. It was slim. It wasn't. It wasn't, yo, I'm gonna that's definitely wasn't that, like except I went to I'm just saying, this is what they say you nowadays, they're like.
Speaker 6: Hey, man, I like that mystery. I like that mystery.
Speaker 4: You know that's subliminate. Think of think of from a TV standpoint, remember Three's Company. How how they would have those subliminal jokes about sexual and those you know, but it made you want to watch because it's like, you know they're gonna say something.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like that, but nothing was ever said.
Speaker 6: But you know, as an example for pushing it was not a sexual song.
Speaker 4: We were literally talking about dancing on the you know, the dance floor, and people took that and took it.
Speaker 6: The other way and it actually worked for us. So I mean, I'm a.
Speaker 4: True I was saying he thought of saying the words is really similar, you know, trust me.
Speaker 1: I was not saying that.
Speaker 4: I was not saying that. But people, I mean, gosh, we were almost arrested for that song. Like yeah, like doing like being on stage and being told that if you play that song. That happened to us as well, if you play that song here to push it, wow, you can get arrested. So there were times that that was almost the case, and somehow we got, you know, to a point where it was like you know, we just had had to convince everybody that this is not about what you think it's and that is the truth.
Speaker 1: Matter take it as you want, okay.
Speaker 3: So we interviewed who do we interview and they said that they were getting threatened every night. A. T. K.
Speaker 1: Kirk that the easy was that a similar situation.
Speaker 4: It was similar and and trust me, it wasn't just n WA was dealing with that. I'm sure there was a lot of artists that had that because back then, you know, there was I don't know, there was no there was no parameters, right, So it was kind of like we were doing these songs and just creating this you know, vibe, and and it sounded as if we were crossing a line and for us, we were just girls having a good time party and doing our song.
Speaker 6: They thought it was something else. And so yeah, that happened with which was.
Speaker 2: Coming in here in the US and in music it was they used to do that, even believe it or not, with with the old school music, like with the old school rock or whether it be Sinatra, those guys believe it or what. If they performed, the local cops would show up say that it was profane. In some way like it wasn't new to hip hop, but I'm sure hip hop took it another notch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry to change the subject, but I just performed for Fat Joe.
Speaker 1: Big up to the Fat Joe. You got to keep the city right. Get on stage.
Speaker 3: There's five cops waiting for me for you. So I get on stage and they're like, you know where you could get a photo? And I'm like calling this the no warrant photo.
Speaker 1: I wanted to leave. So I'm just I don't know I changed the subject, but so let's just take the band aid off.
Speaker 4: Let me.
Speaker 3: Because I'm gonna be honest with you as a younger. I was about to say citizen, but I don't think that's the correct word. Nice shirt, Charlie, you think, But younger, I'm gonna be honest with you, and you're gonna, you're gonna, you're gonna, you're gonna, you're gonna think that.
Speaker 1: I'm so naive, but I am, and I want to be.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to ever see you in Pepper have beef like I honestly, I'm almost tearing up a lot.
Speaker 1: I'm almost hurt me. Damn. I am actually hold home, get my life together.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, my childhood heroes, my childhood yeah, my heroes.
Speaker 1: So to see turmoial period, like I almost ignored it.
Speaker 3: Expecting that it would just go away because I was so like attached to y'all, like I'm so attached. I'm not attached to so Pepper without Spinderrella.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I apologize. I don't. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't care what people think. It's just how I see it. I didn't see the other spinder Blla, God bless her. I know she she's supposed to be first, but I didn't. I don't remember how she looked. I don't remember. All I remember is this.
Speaker 1: So when I got the word that it was any turmorial, I didn't remember what the turmorial was.
Speaker 3: But I remember me being sad, and I remember me continuing to be sad, and then we put this interview. I'm watching these interviews and I'm seeing you, you know, speaking your piece, and I still to this day, I'm like, d what happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happened?
Speaker 3: So in your opinion, what was the first straw on the camel's back that you was like, damn, this is not right.
Speaker 4: I mean, generally speaking, when you just grow up, just get to a point where things will not you will not be tolerated and respect.
Speaker 1: This should be mutual.
Speaker 4: And when respect is mutual, we can move and do whatever. But when respect is not mutual, then that's you know what, are you here for the bag that don't last? Because I can do a bag without it, you know what I'm saying. So growing up for me, you know, I mean, having my grandson changed me, just seeing how the whole scope of hip hop is changing, just how things are. History is important, like like like being being in the history books is important. Legacy is important, absolutely, but yeah, you just don't take bullshit anymore. When you get to a certain point, it's done. And I felt like if we don't have that mutual respect, it's not going to work.
Speaker 1: And so we needed we needed that.
Speaker 4: We needed to do that. We needed to do that, and.
Speaker 6: I know how people feel like it does it really hurt people?
Speaker 1: Like I mean, like a dagger on one of them. I had to just tears.
Speaker 6: But you have to understand, I'm sorry, but.
Speaker 4: I'm it's like you just have to it's bigger than this group, like it's life. It's like you just don't want to deal with you know ship that you you know, don't have to and we had to get some things straight and and we had to do it in a way that was not you know, unfortunately it was publicized.
Speaker 1: Uh, but it had to be because there was a lot of work.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of you know, like everything from legalities involved in dissecting royalties and things like that. So all that has been dealt with. All that, thanks you been settled. Everything has been good.
Speaker 1: Well, the business side has been dealt with.
Speaker 4: The business side has been handled, But the friendships are I'm not going to say it's it's I'm not going to say it's not it's dead in the water. I'm going to say I'm always going to be open. My heart is always open. So what fortunately we did come together, We got to a star in a Hollywood Walk of Fame, and we acknowledged we got acknowledged you know, for other things as well. And it's just it's like in any relationship sometimes it just dissolve. There you're there for a time, and you're there for a reason and you just you.
Speaker 1: Know, move on.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but I just want you to know how much y'all meant to us, how much you mean to us, not meant meant this past tense.
Speaker 1: And I'm a little smarter than that. Okay, how much you mean to us? You guys.
Speaker 3: Evolutionize the woman category, like you made sure that like woman was represented in the hip hop and for that, like you you could never take that away. What I'm saying is again, like I want to reiterate what I said earlier, because if this wasn't no Peppa and Spinderella, there wouldn't be no fucking compona dj e FN.
Speaker 1: So if there's any way that you.
Speaker 3: Could have meended, I recommend you do because I love to see y'all three together, Like it's like Voltron, you know what I'm saying, Like it's like when I see y'all three, like I actually get goosebumps. I actually do, And so I just I just want to commend y'all for maintaining that. And it was one of the probably the worst fan moments of my life, Oh my god, seeing y'all go through it, because I honestly looked at it and didn't like try to act like I ignored it, like I didn't just see that crazy.
Speaker 4: It was crazy. Think about groups though all the groups, it's not perfect, right, especially groups from back in the days, it's not not perfect. You name them and they have those issues.
Speaker 1: Or starting young and then you grow into different people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we all we all like excited, you know in the beginning, and then you know, we grow up and we turn into who we are, and then we just kind of grow apart.
Speaker 6: But I noticed that that's the.
Speaker 1: Case with most groups.
Speaker 6: I love to see, Like I love to see Jeff and and Will together.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 6: I like when I see Chuck, d and Flave come together. You know, I like when I.
Speaker 1: See you know, just old groups together.
Speaker 4: What I do understand that you can't make a square fit into a certain you cannot, but you might have to.
Speaker 3: You know, all of them have beef too. It's just the difference y'all and them is that y'all beef was public. And the thing about it is.
Speaker 1: No, their beef was public. A lot of like like who's beef was public?
Speaker 2: Who public enemy? Not Jeff, I'm talking about public enemy. Just Chuck just at one point was wild too, and right, I forgot that wark.
Speaker 4: But when I see them together, it's like, yes, so I get what y'all are feeling. I get Look I'm talking to me, talking to fans that all of our people out there trust me, and you know who. I got to give some props to Pepa, So Pep and and you know.
Speaker 6: She has been always the glue like she knows.
Speaker 4: Do you know that it hasn't been perfect with the three and we got our things about this, but Pep will go to no end to make something come together, you know what I'm saying. And you know we have, We've talked on a bunch of occasions and you know, we're just we're just leaving the door open.
Speaker 1: We're at that point.
Speaker 2: But to backtrack a little, for people who don't know the situation, you don't have to go into it because I'm sure you're sick of talking about it. But on the business side of it, what could what did you learn that you could have done differently for it to not I was.
Speaker 4: Young and there was no contract number one, so contract as far as road or contract as far as.
Speaker 6: Its internal internal nothing. There was no contract.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like, look, we want you to DJ for us, audition for us without a contract. There was no contract and that and me I was sixteen, so I was like, okay, whatever.
Speaker 6: But even when I got.
Speaker 4: Older, I did ask, you know, can we produce something some kind of something assigned to But you know, their argument is, it was Herbie who brought me to you know, in the group. It was Herbie's group. Herbie was the creator of.
Speaker 3: Salt and Pepper, and Salt Pepper both from Queens. You're from Brooklyn, Brooklyn, okay, and Herby's You'd be stabbed a lot of people. Watch out, guys, watch out.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so Herbie was the one who and he was the one who brought Pepper in. And he actually was Salt who brought pepper in. But we we we didn't have a contract. So that's how important contracts are. And if you don't have that, you know, you really don't have a leg to stay on. So and that's so that's bad on both sides, them as the as the unit and me as the DJ coming into the unit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: But you know, to my point, I wanted to make things right, you know, from a legal standpoint, make sure, let's let's produce a contract. And when I would do that, I would get pushed back from that.
Speaker 1: You know, we like it the way it is.
Speaker 3: Leave it alone, you know, so let me stop you for a second because I heard you say this, but I need to hear you say this. So you say, and there was gigs that you were doing and wasn't getting paid for?
Speaker 4: Oh no, yeah, there was what's the word promotional promotional, But but I would say I got paid for promotional gigs, but we weren't getting paid paid.
Speaker 1: It was like there's a you specifically or the whole group wasn't getting paid. Well, the whole group emotional.
Speaker 3: When I just say that, I'm thinking they were signaling you.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, it was it was promotional runs. I mean, it was a photo sessions. There was anything that had to do with building a brand.
Speaker 2: Group brand, which is your sweat equity.
Speaker 4: It's sweat equity, and so that's your your investment. Okay, I'll invest.
Speaker 6: I believe in this.
Speaker 4: I'm here for it, and that to me, I don't care about that.
Speaker 6: What I to, you know, to your point earlier, what was it? Without speaking on it.
Speaker 4: I had to take them to court to you know, to get my royalties divided.
Speaker 1: Ports from records that I performed on.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm on probably about fifteen three three that super hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you do your own.
Speaker 4: So, yes, what that said, I mean, that's enough. Come on, so somebody's getting paid and I'm not.
Speaker 1: When royalties weren't coming from them, it would be the record label.
Speaker 4: It would the record label. It would be the record label. But they're still here's the thing. They were signed, and that means they were signed to the record label, but I wasn't. And so with our voices together and our performances together on on something they had, they had their names as the receivers, as the performers, and I didn't have mine.
Speaker 1: So your shares, my share.
Speaker 4: I was fighting for my shares, my proper shares, you know, from them. That's separate and apart from being in Sultan Pepa. Is like when you perform or when you produce, you should have your or you write, you should have your shares of yours.
Speaker 2: And so that's what I was fighting and separate from because if someone listening, they might confuse it with publishing is not publishing, because they would get there publishing for whatever they did publish.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but I did produce a couple of things for Sultan Peppa, and so I had to fight.
Speaker 1: For that as well.
Speaker 6: And you know, it was like when the end, when the end came. It was like, Okay, let's do this right then.
Speaker 4: And I didn't want to bring I didn't want it to be public, but it went public, and at the end of the day, I had to do what I had to do because I have you know, I put my blood, sweat and tears for thirty five years. Thirty five years is a lifetime. It's a lifetime. And so when you say sweat equity, you put your all into something and then to be dismissed or to be kind of put out as if you weren't there, that's the contribution.
Speaker 6: Get what you deserve and then peace out. But you know, today I'm not.
Speaker 1: Here to.
Speaker 4: You know, put They're always going to be queen's to me. They might not feel the way that I feel about but it doesn't matter to me. I'm a grown woman, I'm a queen. I'm gonna fix my sister's crime. If I can help you, I will always do that. But I'm going to fight for mine, show you how to fight it, you know, and stand up for yours. So that's what I got out of it, you know. You know, at the end of the day, I'm happy that I'm sorry that it went that way.
Speaker 3: But I had to do what I had to do for me, you know, as an outsider that's looking in, as an insider that's looking out. I feel like the mistake probably was that y'all didn't negotiate together from the beginning, because I believe that they had a contract and then you had a separate and had y'all showed that women camarbities.
Speaker 1: That word. Okay, yeah, So.
Speaker 3: If that's what I feel like, because I feel like they wasn't trying to do you wrong. I feel like they were so much trying to look out for theirself because women were being done wrong at that time, that they were so much trying to look at it for themselves that they didn't think of gotcha, you know, by the way, No, I understand.
Speaker 6: I understand that point because I tried to sit in their shoes too.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 4: And when I was talking with Pet, Pepper explained a lot to me about her situation in it and how familiar my situation is to her because she was fighting for hers too internally, so and I'm like, and you're Pepper, and well, I cannot speak for her, but I will say that she understood some of the fight that I had in fighting for your part and what you have provided and contributed, and it's just a bigger picture than what everybody thinks. And you know, as a as a writer, as a as a producer, as a performer, you you should get your share, you know what what you put into it.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'll let her speak from the sound of it, it's not just them too, it's other entities to be her regular way more than this.
Speaker 4: Well, they did have fights with Herbie about stuff, but I feel like they absolved it. But at the end of the day, I'm looking at my situation right now and I can't speak on Peppa. I wish them well, you know, and the door's always opened.
Speaker 1: We said that we would love to see you guys together, but I got it.
Speaker 4: I have to say, you have to kind of take care of you in the end, and you got to make sure you're good in order for the door to be open for us to come together again. Business got be handled. When I handle my business, my team. Shout out to my team. Team, shout out to my manager, LJ. He's been my manager. I'm a loyal person. I have the same people with me for forever. My manager LJ. He said to say how to y'all. He's been my manager for almost twenty years. So my husband, my husband Q, my daughter Christy, she's a DJ too, So you know, I'm constantly making sure she's good because she's out there, you know, just making sure she's right. Contracts and everything, but the right having the right people around you keeps you right. And so when I leave my team and then I go into Salt and Pepper, I need to make sure that's right.
Speaker 1: I know how it should be. And so.
Speaker 4: From this moment on, should a door open there again, We're gonna be good.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be good.
Speaker 4: Because all contracts will be right. We'll make sure everybody is right. And I feel like back then we didn't have the right conversations about doing that, because I did bring it up. Let's do contract, Let's do a contract.
Speaker 3: I just pect you with that and say, yo, listen, you just you need a contract or that's something you came up with.
Speaker 1: I came up okay, cool, continue, I came up with okay.
Speaker 4: And when Herbie was gone, I think when Herbie left Herbie left back in the early nineties, it was kind of like I'm just kind of floating here.
Speaker 6: I'm just kind of just floating. And I mean they they definitely.
Speaker 4: Paid me, you know when you know, when I did my gigs or whatever. But when it came to promoting and promoting the albums and pushing the albums and performing on the albums, I wasn't getting my cut, so I had to make sure I got mine, like and so that's why it took that long to do it. And when it was said and done, we settled. And when you settled, that means we're all on the same page.
Speaker 1: You know. As a kid, when I heard this, I was like, oh, that's just the rumor. As a kid, you heard this, like, yeeah, Well, this.
Speaker 4: Is a long term situation. It's a long time were you you talking about Okay, So.
Speaker 1: I mean as a kid, though I was a kid in mind my house, like they didn't break up in the early nineties.
Speaker 4: It was no, we didn't break up in the early nineties, but you said we had issues back in the ninth early late night.
Speaker 1: Late nineties. Here I remember forty seven, forty six. I'll be forty seven next month.
Speaker 6: We're talking about twenty some years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and to me it seems like, who, yeah, that's a time it's a long time to be going through the ship, right.
Speaker 2: It's true that Herbie when he put the group together, he thought of it as the female run DMC.
Speaker 1: Yes, and and you would have been the jam master j of that run ja.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he thought he thought of Houdini.
Speaker 1: And so do you remember ever going to the Left Rock City? I do?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's crazy how this ties into the beginning of Dream Champs.
Speaker 1: Really, he's our first guest. You have no idea first recorded guests.
Speaker 3: Let me just tall you he's going to go down right, And I know your husband is here, respect and you're doing this here?
Speaker 1: Who I feel like she's related to me. Let me just tell you something.
Speaker 3: Kenny Anderson at the time was the hottest point guard in New York City. Katy Anderson, I'm from ninety seventh Street. Kny Anderson is from ninety sixth Street. He's from down the block. The hottest woman in the game ran the chain at the.
Speaker 1: Time was Spendervella. Oh so my childhood.
Speaker 3: Was Spenderella is the most beautifullest woman in the game. Really, everyone wants Spenderella. It's prober is the name. Everybody wants. Spender Weell.
Speaker 1: Jesus, everybody wants you to turn.
Speaker 3: And it was one day Kenny Anderson, we call him Chipper. He comes through my neighborhood with you. And when I tell you, that was like a goal.
Speaker 6: That was like I think, I remember, I.
Speaker 1: Ain't gonna lie. I was the little nigga like that.
Speaker 3: In case you don't know, the little dirty nigga probably didn't clean my ears.
Speaker 1: I was like, holy shit, and that shit changed my childhood.
Speaker 3: Because it made mean Katy Anderson, which I tell him this, and I tell him this off the air, and this is kind of corny.
Speaker 1: I just always say this on the air.
Speaker 3: He made me who I am one of those And one of those two days, I tell you the LA day, Remember when I first hit number one, And it was this day.
Speaker 1: This is way before I was a rapper, and he came to the hood with you.
Speaker 3: And when I tell you, every man in the hood could not take their eyes off you. I'm sorry, husband, I'm sorry, husband, but it was one of the greatest moments of my life because you represented making it.
Speaker 4: Hm hmm.
Speaker 1: You have no idea what I mean.
Speaker 4: I think I could understand in the sense of just coming through and it's just like a picture of what it looks like to be success and have the right female on your arm. And you know that.
Speaker 1: Let me take you home. You were the hottest chicken game. Let's be clear. Did you not feel that? No, I did not feel like we sucked. Holy I do know that there.
Speaker 6: You know, people tell me they had crushes on me or whatever, but no, real like.
Speaker 3: I remember, like like, I'm so proud to call you my sister now, but back then, I can't deny.
Speaker 1: That like how it was like.
Speaker 6: But I do know that the fans had their favorites.
Speaker 1: I mean they had.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know that they looked at me like, you know, they had questions on me or whatever. So and I hear that a lot today, Like you know, I still got a crush on any type of thing.
Speaker 1: But no, I didn't know that. You didn't feel it.
Speaker 6: I could feel that they they loved on me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could feel that.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's one way of putting it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completely loved it on me. I mean, not to take away from what you're saying, please, but you know, I get how, you know, people look at somebody and I remember being like, you know, just on top of the world, like Salt and Pepper and myself, we were just on top of the way. We were the girls. We was those girls back then, and you know they had their favorite. Salt was their face. You know, she had her favorites. Pep had her favorite, Spin had her favorites. You know.
Speaker 2: Like But to take it back to to drink Champs, Kenny was recorded guests. Yes, we didn't release it first. It was the first person that we tested this concept.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, so you you you are drinking around. Yeah, I'm in there.
Speaker 4: I heard your interview some of the you know, the interview y'all did with Kenny, and I heard what you guys were. I don't know, y'all were talking about baby mamas and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I think that was funny. I was scared. I was scared to say your name because to this day, I'm still scared of you, like scared.
Speaker 4: From the music standpoint, I'm really proud of what we've done together. That is something that nothing, that's nothing that we can personally go through, could ever overshadow the.
Speaker 6: Purpose of what Sultan Pepper was.
Speaker 4: The Sultan Pepper, the music, the message, the importance of us and music, the importance of us and hip hop, the importance of us as women, the contribution as women to our our just our generation, and so so don't let what personal stuff color that. And that means a lot to hear you say that. But yeah, it was great times, it was interesting. Just you know, I remember that going through left Rack with Kenny. I did a lot of left Rack.
Speaker 1: I was out there.
Speaker 4: We used to actually, we used to, actually, me and Kenny used to go at it because you know, he he called the pink houses the stinkhouses, and I would call I'm sorry, y'all.
Speaker 1: It was just a joke.
Speaker 4: I would call Left Right City, left wax City.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was, it was, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a thing between me and Kenny. She's like, look at that little boy. But no, I spent a lot of time in Left Right. He did a lot. He did a lot, He did a lot for them. Not gonna lie. Yeah, I'm not gonna lie to you again. I should, I should say this to him off camera.
Speaker 3: But he kept me out of jail for years because he had a tournament called Kenny Anderson Tournament, and I would I would go there and I would play basketball, and I remember I remember one year, I'm sorry, turn it back. But I remember one year I was selling drugs and I just couldn't stop selling drugs. I was addicted to selling drugs. Even though I wasn't a good drug dealer. I was like semi, but I would get my shirt off. And the coach came to me. I can't say the coach name because he's very it's very big. The coach said to me, I know you sell drugs, but you're gonna come and play this. You gonna play this basketball. And I came in and played basketball.
Speaker 1: We want. But by the way, because of Kenny, him doing.
Speaker 3: The contributions that he did, h to the hood, his mother as well, first week fall.
Speaker 1: Rest in peace to your day you met.
Speaker 4: Her, she's as first of all my daughters here.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, immediately connected to her, Yes, my daughter.
Speaker 4: She's like she was like one of I mean, after I had Christy, I would bring her to left right and leave her with miss A and you want a shot.
Speaker 6: And miss A was just just an incredible woman. She was hard coil.
Speaker 4: She was hard on me when I first met when I first started dating Kenny, she was like, who's this bitch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're talking about you went too fast? Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: She was.
Speaker 1: That was the first word. She was, like, who was this bitch? She was like protective of her son, but by the way you spend at the time, it's not like you care.
Speaker 4: She didn't care.
Speaker 1: I love this story.
Speaker 4: So I was very intimidated by miss saying I called him miss name was Joan, but I call I called him miss A, And she put me through the ringer to be to mess with her son.
Speaker 6: I mean, I guess you should.
Speaker 1: You know, kids just can't have any woman rolling up on your you know, in your in your home.
Speaker 3: You was his first real relationship, right, I don't know that I was his first real relationship.
Speaker 1: I believe the outside of looking at it, and I believe it was he was young. He was he was very young.
Speaker 4: He was like, come on, in his prime and he was like a superstar and oh my god, like for him to just come from where he came from to you know, just blowing up with all this money and all this like notoriety and just the fame, it was crazy.
Speaker 6: So but back to Missay, she was very protective and.
Speaker 4: I will say our relationship really got established because she you know, literally taught me like she.
Speaker 6: Was like, you know, I know, I know you love my son, because I could have ran you off a.
Speaker 1: Long time ago, girl, like you know, that is the gangst that's gangstuff.
Speaker 4: I could have you know, and but you stayed, you know, and you stayed and you you know, we didn't work out. But our daughter, you know, we had our daughter.
Speaker 1: That was a purpose. God bless God. She's my daughter. Was so beautiful and so like the best part of us. Yeah, and although I just met her today, I swear to God, I feel like I know her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you might have seen it is really young come the left brack all the time she was wit miss s. Yeah, there it is.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So our show is about giving people they flowers. From the beginning, we wanted to give you a flowers. Wanted to tell you, face to face, woman, the man, man, the woman, that how much you mean the hip hop sho this is And I want you to know how much you feel being the hip hop how much you mean to us, how much you mean to the community. We one man percent understand your plight, We understand your struggle, we understand your fight, and we got your back. And there's nothing in this world that's not going to stop us. From doing that and we want to give you.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is huge.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: My heart is real full from that because coming from where I came from and just always literally you know, I dealt with a lot of doubt, the whole stuff.
Speaker 1: I doubt it myself a lot.
Speaker 4: But to get the love that I've been getting regardless of all of that, it makes me feel again. You know, when you when you're when you when you're kind of shot down for whatever reason, when you're shot down, or when you feel that your your worth is or you're devalued or any in any of that, you don't like you deserve and you know, so to get this kind of love, I really appreciate you.
Speaker 8: All.
Speaker 3: Well, let me let me let me stop that not feeling deserved, because this is your house, this is built for you, and I'm gonna just tell you it's well deserved.
Speaker 1: Over here.
Speaker 3: You are a icon, you are a legend, and we are immortal fans over here.
Speaker 1: Immortal. I used that word before. I guess it just came out like you're mortal for using it. So we're gonna play a game real quick now' storry, Okay, I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I'd be drinking, but I did drink last episode, so and I saw Keith very I tell you you gotta talk about that.
Speaker 1: You know, me and Keith Mary had fake Keith Oh really? What happened with that? They wore taking over.
Speaker 3: I'm at Fat Joe's concert and I feel somebody like touching my leg because because by the way, I didn't go to Fat Joe concerts to perform.
Speaker 1: I went there to be a fan.
Speaker 3: And there I was like, yo, I cannot leave. I mean, I gotta leave tomorrow. And they're like why. I'm like, I gotta.
Speaker 1: Spread the brother. I said, I ain't missing this. They're like, okay, cool, thank you. I hain't somebody, I said, I hear somebody. I felt somebody in my leg. I turn around.
Speaker 3: It's a guy with a bandanna, glasses and a joint and I look and I just see his eyes. I'm keeping when I tell you, I didn't tell nobody around me. I didn't say yo, whook me.
Speaker 1: I just seen some'sc and he was like, my heart, my heart, what what? What? What do you mean? That's Keith testing me if I'm lying? He said my heart, And you know what I said, my heart? I did I said, I ain't gonna because I want to. I want to.
Speaker 3: Testament the hip hop man. We had a misunderstanding. He thought something about me, which I liked it, but it was false. He's like, no, he's Hollywood, He's different. Now, I don't get pedicureous. Look ship, look at my nails is sucked up. I don't get pedicures.
Speaker 1: I should. I should, though, but I seen them. We talked, we worked it out.
Speaker 3: They filmed it. They film the whole time, the whole time. His people filmed it. And I never said, don't film because I wanted to document it. That don't don't don't ever say that because drink chances.
Speaker 1: We're for our legends.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 3: And the thing about it is, so many times in this game people get ten years or more and you know what they say. They say you're washed up, they say you you're dark irrelevant. Do they say that in rock and roll? Do they say that in jazz? Do they say heavy metal? They only say it's only us.
Speaker 1: It's only us. So we're gonna change that fucking narrative.
Speaker 3: If you take food from yesterday and you put it in the refrigerator and you work and you warm it up in the morning.
Speaker 1: Guess what, it's better. It's better. It's been marinated. It's been That means it's been seasoned, preserved. You young motherfuckers judging the older people. You are a pizza who just came out of gobin. It's too hot.
Speaker 4: You're too hot.
Speaker 1: The fuck often enjoy the pizza, right, my friend.
Speaker 8: He ain't gonna brought me a phenomenal pizza. I have to put salt on it and let it come up. Day got wrong, and then after that cool.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed the pizza.
Speaker 3: So this is too Oh, you young motherfuckers, you're judging you one of the young one of the dumb, dumbest shits you can say as a young person, is you old?
Speaker 1: Motherfucker?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: You don't want to be old like me? One day? Idiot? The goal is not to die young, The goal is to grow to crow idiots. I guess what. I'm sorry. I had a moment. Let me add on to that.
Speaker 4: When someone says you're old, you're older too. We're both old. Look, you're not going backwards. We're both going up together.
Speaker 1: Like it doesn't make it. It doesn't.
Speaker 6: It's like, how am I get old and you're not. We're both growing, you know, so I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't get that the whole irrelevant thing when people say you're irrelevant, I'm like, to who you, I don't know, it's it's it's weird, you know what.
Speaker 3: I love the renaissance of hip hop right now, Right now, hip hop has grown so much, like I can like book a vacation and so max a lot would be on the fucking m the cruise line.
Speaker 1: Holy, this is dope, like hip hop has involved so much.
Speaker 3: Do you think that hip hop when you started doing it with what, for lack of a better term, whack cliche, do you think that hip hop would have came this far far?
Speaker 6: No, I didn't think about it neither.
Speaker 4: It wasn't.
Speaker 6: It was like it was not something I was thinking about. It was something I was doing.
Speaker 4: So that was like the original question back in the days, most most of US artists who were first interviewed was asked the question, what are you going to do when this is over? And I can say for me, I'm like, I don't know nothing know, So I'm just gonna keep doing.
Speaker 1: What until you know? To the wheels fall? Could that have played into the bad business nuts foreseeing it?
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, be here so long, of course, but look what it won't happen again. Experience is important. So when you get older and talk about growing, you grow with experience. And these younger you know, I feel, I feel if they ain't watching and if they ain't learning, you know, they're gonna get hit hard. I always think about, like the newer artists, like the younger generation of artists, they're gonna need therapy. Yeah, eventually, you know what, They're gonna need therapy, Ain't I right or wrong? They're not going to need Derby, they need Derby now?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean once you come we all need therapy.
Speaker 6: Though, yeah we do.
Speaker 4: But I really, especially for the young women, it's it's not and I'm not just talking about I'm talking about I mean whoever the DJ's everything is. It's a lot to come through this. And with social media and with social media, we didn't and we didn't have social media like that. So I just feel like, yeah, get a good therapist on deck.
Speaker 6: On your team.
Speaker 1: Get a good therapist on your team. So let me ask you, because this has been a question on my mom, how did you get the names?
Speaker 4: Bendrella Spinderella was given to me Herbie Herbie. Herbie Herbie said, Okay, now it's just so you know, I know you mentioned there was a Spinderella before me. Yes, there was a Spinderella before me on the first Salt and Pepper album, Hot, Cool and Vicious, that there's a picture of another young lady.
Speaker 6: She was the first Sponderella. I don't I can't say what the story was.
Speaker 4: But they were looking for another female DJ for their first major tour, a tour initially it was a tour, and I auditioned. They you know, they heard about me and they asked me to audition. I auditioned and then I got it. So I don't know what you know, what this story is. I can't say what happened before me.
Speaker 1: But yeah, has she ever spoken out?
Speaker 4: Pretty sure she has, But I, you know, I don't know. I know there's a story. Everybody has a story.
Speaker 1: So and is it true. Wendy Williams also tried to audition to be the.
Speaker 6: She says that too, what.
Speaker 8: Not being.
Speaker 4: It's been the relation So so Herveie was looking for originally what we said, he was looking for that N D C. J. Houdini, you know, two m season a DJ. But as females. All I know is that when I auditioned, I got it.
Speaker 1: And that's all I know. That was hard.
Speaker 4: But yes, Herbie gave me the name. But there was a Spinderella from the early eighties. Okay, I can't say, but you know, give credit where credit is due. I can't say I made the name of the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got.
Speaker 4: I'm a collective of old ship So I bought a Spinderella doll from like the early seventies and it was her. No, it was a little it was a little white doll with blonde hair, it was, and she was spinning on a spindle or whatever. And her name was Spinder.
Speaker 1: That's where they got the name from.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I have that doll and I'm like, wow, So, and that's how old the name is, right, that is documented, so you know, And the.
Speaker 2: First Spender was the one that was before you. She comes out in one I think one single or one vinyl.
Speaker 4: That she appears on that first album, right, Yeah, that's crazy. But then Thomas, I can't say what happened there because I'm not right to their situation.
Speaker 2: And it's and still when you get in it's thirty plus years. Yeah, and all the success because Push It hadn't come out yet.
Speaker 4: Push It, Push It came out when I got there. Yeah, when Yeah, we did the video for it. We shot the video. As a matter of fact, the story is we were doing we were on that tour and we were on the Wipeout tours the Fat Boys, Heavy D and the Boys, Salt and Pepper, Dana.
Speaker 6: Dane and Clark Kent.
Speaker 1: DJ.
Speaker 4: Clark Kent was on it, and we weren't doing Push It. And then they were like, I guess some DJ and in either Hawaii or the Bay played push It and it just got viral.
Speaker 1: It, you know, caught fire because it was a B side of a record, right.
Speaker 4: It was the B side of Tramp Tramp Tramp, yes what you called me. And then they were like you got to play push It? And I was like all right, they gave me the vinyl and I'll drop push It.
Speaker 8: And it was like.
Speaker 4: And we we really didn't want to do that song. We thought it was a parody. Like we were like, it was, well, not a parody, but we thought it was like a funny like what's the word just being fun like fun not parody, but something you know, funny.
Speaker 1: You didn't think that at all. Well he did. It was a serious hip hop record. We didn't as in salt. And then Herbie, well these are things you want. You wanted to know.
Speaker 6: And then Herbie, Herbie you know, was like he was really behind the song.
Speaker 4: He wanted it.
Speaker 1: So it was like we gotta do, we gotta do push it.
Speaker 6: Let's you know, test it.
Speaker 5: We did.
Speaker 1: Do you realize how many movies pushing it is in?
Speaker 6: It's in a few huh every time watch I'll watch a movie and I'll be like.
Speaker 1: Shoe, So is that one of your discrepancies?
Speaker 8: Is that?
Speaker 1: Because I ain't gonna lie to you, this is full discrepancy, full disclosureloure. That's what I mean. Every time I hear a super Doug played in the movie, I get you gotta get your check. I don't get nothing. You got to get I get it next year. Next year it is my twenty five. It reverts to him. I could have brought it back. I have, uh what is it called residuals to do it, to buy it.
Speaker 3: But it's like if I wait till March, I get it back for free and then I could do business. So I'm yeah, I want to wait, but I look at like I saw Entourage the movie and then my record came on and everybody's like, hey, congratulations, and I'm looking at them like I didn't even know this ship was in there. But I'm not going to tell them that because I don't want them to know. Actually, my business. When you here pushed it, do you do you feel.
Speaker 1: Like that, Well, I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not a writer on push it, So you have to be part of the part of the SA performer. You know, Salt and Pepper Food performed that song before I joined them, so they they not performed it. They recorded it before I joined them.
Speaker 1: It just hadn't hit.
Speaker 6: It just hadn't been.
Speaker 4: It started to hit when I came in and we played it in the show. Then it started to blow up. But when you're on the song, and when you're writing on a song, or when you produce a song, that's when you should be able to collect on that.
Speaker 6: You know, Uh, what a man is a different story.
Speaker 1: What a man?
Speaker 2: What a man?
Speaker 4: If you hear what a man on a commercial or anything, man, that's a check. Yeah, let's talk about sex is another one.
Speaker 1: Let's let's let's stick with what a man? Though, okay, yeah, in the studio, what happens? What is? What is? How does his magic work?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 6: Well I know how it worked for me.
Speaker 4: They would do their own recording and then they would call me in and I would do mine. So everybody's kind of a separate and then piece together. Yeah, everybody would be separate and piece together that particular song was done, and I you know it's been so long. Yeah, it would just be like if I recorded on a song, it'd be like, d D, can you come in at seven seven o'clock?
Speaker 1: Sorry, said, my name is d D. I love that. But they called you, they didn't call you, spend them. Yeah, they call they call me d D.
Speaker 4: I call them Cheryl.
Speaker 1: I still call we.
Speaker 4: Called we called Pepa, Sandy. We call us by each other, by our first names.
Speaker 1: I don't think you never called me Victor neither. When we get pissed, be first name.
Speaker 4: That's how you know you know somebody, you know, Yeah, we call each other. But yes, it went like that when when it was time to record. And I know when I started doing I did. I didn't really know that I had the talent of rapping.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I was just like, all right, whatever. I was just DJing, doing my thing, and then Herbie would call me in and be like, come do the song. Oh you sound good on that. Come do this one, Come do this one. And so that's how it went. It was like, and you were writing your own stuff. I wrote, but I can't say I wrote what a man? Okay, the songs that I produced for Salt and Pepper I wrote on Fish today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incredible. With Thomas.
Speaker 4: You explain her the rules, the rules okay. Again, is a drinking game, oh ship, Okay, you should have told me that before I started drinking.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be honest with you. I said it earlier. But she has the wildest drink order in drink Champs history. I do top three. I just don't think she meant all that at once. That's why he took it. We said that he's like Hanny Ace. It was the other thing.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, yo, wake up brother, Yo, listen man. I know you see and Ship and you're trying to get somebody to go with you the Turks.
Speaker 1: But you'll her order was vodka, Hannesy, not conjact. That's what threw me off.
Speaker 3: I was like, most people say conyact and like they will say any she said, you said, Hennessy said.
Speaker 1: Is on my writer. No, I was like, I was like spinning brother on a fight because he is on my writer.
Speaker 4: That's like, it's like Hennessey privilege. That has to be privileged.
Speaker 3: See, we didn't get the privilege on Hennessy whiskey and tequila. By the way, I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 4: What do you drink?
Speaker 6: I said, I drink all of.
Speaker 1: That since when I see this order, I was like, it's going down.
Speaker 6: Yes, you got a drink?
Speaker 2: Bad?
Speaker 1: Yes, please come on, husband, can get your ass a drink.
Speaker 4: Man, Okay, you want to drink?
Speaker 1: My daughter wants to drink. Yes, please, Okay, I'm ready for the game. Okay, let's go.
Speaker 2: Actually, before we start, I want to say happy birthday to Kayla's her twenty first birthday is Charlie's daughter.
Speaker 1: Shout out to her.
Speaker 2: I told her this would be a great episode for her to come. Such a good role model to be here.
Speaker 3: Okay, Leo yo season Hey wait all right, so Leo goes and then virgos after right, Yeah, I guess you're next, aren't you?
Speaker 1: How you yeah, okay, my daughter is a virgo. You a virgo? What's your date? Is that? You? And he kept saying we related. You said, look at that, look at that. I think he thinks when he saw you in left right, I decided to have a baby on his birthday. That twins. That's why he said, I got.
Speaker 4: A connection with her. But your literal twins birthday twins?
Speaker 3: How cool is Foxy Brown?
Speaker 1: Real Foxes said I'm gonna take shout out Foxy man. We need her on here, we need foxing on whole.
Speaker 3: God let me know when now I booked up my childhood and resonated my manhood.
Speaker 1: At the same time. Okay, So we were explaining the rules, trying to this this.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna lie stop no more, no more, stop talking no more.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let you do it. I got yours dates. Let you know this stuff. Don't talk no more. So Tember sixth, she just came out. I had no idea. I'm looking up like still.
Speaker 2: We're going to give you two choices. And this is not to pin anybody against each other. It's just random two choices. These guys over here, and we would like to drink. Yeah, and if you pick one, nobody drinks. But if you say both of them or neither of them, which would be the PC answer.
Speaker 4: Say it again.
Speaker 2: If I pick one, If you picked one, nobody drinks, nobody drinks. And if you don't pick we drink. Basically all of us, we all drink together. We're all going to get drunks.
Speaker 1: Pick one.
Speaker 2: And if you have stories with anybody, please alladin. And it's whatever the reason in your mind is. Don't it's maybe you would.
Speaker 4: Be the reason of choosing one one or one.
Speaker 1: Might be more a friend of yours. One, you might like the music, whatever it is, it's what stands out more to me.
Speaker 3: I love how she's she's never been in the resource room. You see how she's she was assessed you.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, she's like.
Speaker 3: Very clear like the house. Good tell that she's very smart. All right, By the way, all of all the guests has not been Oh all right. First one is Primo or Pete Rock.
Speaker 4: Pete Rock, And I love Primo Pete Okay, so Pete Rock, So oh yeah. I used to date Eddie f Eddief was Heavy D and the boys. When it's when I would go to Eddief's house, Heavy D would come over. They would you know, do their recording or whatever. Pete Rock would always be coming coming over there all in Mount Vernon, and Pete Rock was like a kid so and I was a kid. But it was like we both, you know, we're young and just kind of watching heavy d and the boys develop and do their thing or whatever. And Pete would be there, you know, just messing around with the drum machine Eddief's drum machine and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So I have a like, that's like a brother to me, Pete. But you picked Primo, No, I said, Pete. I said, Primo is my is my boy. But it's okay, okay, okay, Queen of Tea for MC light take a shot.
Speaker 4: Let's take a shot.
Speaker 1: Hey man, no Lean witness bro. I just want to drink. I like, and I love both of them. I should say, I just came from New York Funk Flex or DJ Clue cheers. What what do I say? I don't know. You're gonna say nothing. You're drinking. That says enough, all right, Lady of Rage or Yo yo oh Ship. I love both of them. This is not fair. This is the name of the game. We're trying to get you drunk. This is where it all goes down there.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna make a decision.
Speaker 1: Okay, see some people do this. My Leo's sister, some Leos before Virgo right.
Speaker 4: Leo's yeah, yeah, yeah, Leo's before Virgot.
Speaker 1: Hold out Virgos.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say, yo yo, Okay, So no drinking, drinking all and Rage is going to.
Speaker 1: Actually be on that TV.
Speaker 6: She has a new movie coming out, y'all know.
Speaker 1: The Miss Cleo one Yes, didn't it come out? Is going to be Miss Yes. I saw clips.
Speaker 4: It's going to be for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I want to be a part of that. We need both of them on drinks. By the way, I want to watch the movie. Excuse me all right? Next one.
Speaker 2: J J Fat or Oaktown three five seven Oaktown.
Speaker 1: Three f seven really okay?
Speaker 4: Because sweet ld is my girl and she lives in Dallas.
Speaker 6: We live in Dallas. So she comes in, we hang out.
Speaker 1: Did you get you guys tour with with Hammer and them? Yes, we did that. That must have been crazy show honey Hammer? Did you say, honey, honey, that's old school ship right.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you about Let me tell you about Hamma. Hamma was put on like he was when we were on that tour. The wipe was if the White Tour it might have been. I don't know if it's the White All Tour or the other tour, but Hammer would be when we would come to the West coast, Hamma would open.
Speaker 6: By the end of the tour, Hammo was closing. So I mean, because he was that man, he was that dope.
Speaker 2: When he started on his side, he was opening, he was opening, and then by the end he was close.
Speaker 1: Jeans that's he had on the baggage. No, he had, he had a baggage. He had on a bag of.
Speaker 6: Pants the whole time though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was official performers.
Speaker 4: One of the best performers period energy I mean his dancers and Sweet Old from three four seven was one of them.
Speaker 1: I used to be on the side of the stage like, oh my god. They were so like.
Speaker 4: Still going after Himmer. This is this, This was our train of thought back then. Nobody wanted to go on after Himmer.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't even know what that meant. I was like, that's hard. Put you in the mix.
Speaker 2: You m TV raps are rap city? M mmm rap City? Okay, any rap City stories.
Speaker 4: I've never been on Rap City but uh, oh no, you picked Rap City, I picked and I used to love watching it. I mean I loved you know, I love the Basement. I loved you know, that was my era.
Speaker 1: How about your TV rap stories?
Speaker 2: Now, know you were one of the first, that's right, Love Doctor D and Fat Fire Freddy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we were talking about first and then yeah, yeah, right, and we won Fat Fire Show. Okay, so yeah, tell us about that.
Speaker 4: We would we were like hip hop's darlings, I don't know, Salt and Pepper, and they would call us, you know, but MTV they you know, they loved on us.
Speaker 6: So we were a part of that earlier stage of hip hop being on TV.
Speaker 1: It was an important show. So let me ask you.
Speaker 3: This is a little off topic because we're still on Quick Thomas Slim. But you knew Tupac, correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, I met. I can't say I knew him, but he had he had he had he had a thing for Salt so so so, so your memory of Tupac was you seeing him and him saying to you we're Salt, Salt, We're your girl, like that, that type of thing. But yeah, he was in what a man video.
Speaker 1: That was like he had the hormone.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: The chain. I don't remember the vio.
Speaker 4: Yeah he did have a chain on now thinking about it, but he was turned, his body was turned.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't show his face. It was it was some political ship. Really okay, this is after he came home. Yeah, yeah, and he was.
Speaker 4: According to I don't know if it was him. He had an issue with it because he wasn't shown in the video that what a man video. He was mad that he wasn't shown, right, but it had something to do it was I don't know. I can't say because it's like it's.
Speaker 1: Time of the East Coast, West Coast b No, no, no, no, this was this one.
Speaker 4: I was considered a bad boy and it was good girls. It was like having a bad boy and a good girl together in.
Speaker 1: That same video. Yeah, but it was like Tupac was like a bad boy, you know, and he shot the police I think this time. I think it was around that time he shot the Atlanta.
Speaker 6: It was yeah, oh yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was some issues around that, but I was like, should show him that. It's like sucking Tupac, you know, that's pop. But yeah, he was real sweet when when when I met him so yeah, but he was interested in sall.
Speaker 1: She's such a class act. Man, what I'm like, you want me to tell some stuff? Of course he wants you to. But I'm like a therapist that analyze people, and I'm just telling you your class. I really appreciate you.
Speaker 3: But you didn't expect anything less, So you know what, You're right, I didn't expect anything less because you're the.
Speaker 1: Next question Trina or Eve? The way you said that he's a hard and I love both of them. I'm gonna have to drink.
Speaker 4: I can't say. I can't say, you know, I'm trying to see what stories I have for both, but you know I have respect for both.
Speaker 1: So do you do you have any stories with any one of them? You got to take the shot, though I did. It's called drink champs, not sick champs. Jamie. You can make you have the ill drink order. Ever many more questions have we got? That's we got. We got questions for you. Okay, that's what I'm taking about that we've been having. I am not a champell you right now. I'm not a champ. No, but your drink order is a chance. Like when I looked at it, I was like, oh my god, whiskey vodka.
Speaker 3: And what's the other one. It's the third one, tequila tequila. I said tequila Hennessy. Who scared me? I said it earlier, but she said Hennessy when people people usually say kanyak. When you say Hennessy, that means you aren't fight. Everybody who drinks Hennessy.
Speaker 1: They don't do that for me. It doesn't do that for Hennessy calms you down nowhere.
Speaker 4: No, when I drink Hennessee, I'm gonna rock a motherfucker party, I know that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that was it was on my rider. I don't even drink it like that anymore.
Speaker 3: This is this is fad, fad, your facetiming. Let's see if you see if you pick up yeah, every time we feel he loves to.
Speaker 1: Be on drinks chance, Let's see. Yeah, we got spreading Norella.
Speaker 3: We got spread on drinking all right, you got the green bottle? Hold on, say how to Sprinderella, Say how to Sprenderella.
Speaker 1: Hey, Joe, I'm good in here with the antics right now.
Speaker 6: The Shenanigans.
Speaker 1: Cool, It could never be. Nobody can duplicate that. And the women power that you have, it's unlivable.
Speaker 4: I've been on shows that you guys, we it'sn't ten thousand people and it's been nine thousand, nine hundred.
Speaker 1: Women, right, I've never seen up. No, Well, yeah, we've got the women love. We got the women love. Thank you, bro, thank you so much. I'm gonna be honest with you. Don't be dishonest. No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't listen.
Speaker 3: I flew up for Joe. He's getting the key to the city, so I flew up. But I wouldn't miss this for nothing. Really, I really really wanted to give you your flowers. I really want you to know how important you are the hip hop and your legacy. I'm not saying you your legacy with stain people. I'm saying your legacy by yourself, because you have a legacy like.
Speaker 1: Just like me and e f N.
Speaker 3: Like ef N has a legacy with me, then I have a legacy with Capone, and then I have a legacy up here, and e f N has a legacy with me that he has a legacy up here.
Speaker 4: Everybody's at their own journey, and.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about your journey.
Speaker 3: And in case you don't know this, it's my job to reiterate this and tell you how important you are. Our community are I wanted to say Illuminati, but then it were kind of like this guy, I don't know our fraternity is a fraternity.
Speaker 1: That's better than.
Speaker 3: Is a fraternity that because I don't know about that community.
Speaker 2: You're a good with community community, all right, culture, I'm trying.
Speaker 3: To be smarter than Okay. I feel you though, really really love the way that you paved for our generation.
Speaker 1: Is that cool? My community generation is better? That works?
Speaker 4: Okay, Before we continue to came, I just want to let y'all know because I kept saying, I remember this, this this concept of me coming on here had to be a couple of years now, and I was like, I don't think i'm ready. I don't think i'm ready. I kept saying, I'm not ready. I don't know, you know, and I don't know what made it different this time. I guess if it's like, you know what, fuck it, it's fun. Yeah, just come have fun because I always feel like I have to have some ship going on, you know, but this is this is your conversation is important to me, and you guys have made me feel very warm today.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to be very comfortable.
Speaker 1: I don't want to have to like I'm doing this, I'm doing that, I'm working. I'm still working everybody.
Speaker 4: But I love that you guys are just like, let's have a good conversation, have a good conversation, but let's own let's also give you a flowers because I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 3: I am an artist. I'm not a DJ, but artists and DJs we always like, we'll do this ship if we wouldn't get no money. And some of us are liars. We wouldn't do this if he was getting no money. But then the ones that are doing it, we should be saluted because it's a horrible job. You can never take your face off. You can never go to ups and send the package and say I'm not spending brother no more.
Speaker 1: There's somebody back Bran.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be like, I know I love her, and that ship deserves to be warranted. Like you can't like your fan is my friend. I know he hates fans, I can I know he never said it to me, He's never said it, he's never said I don't. I know he hates fans, but we can't fight it. The thing is we are who we are.
Speaker 2: Let's go back because it's a long time.
Speaker 9: Slash took the wrong part of the picked up the fire all right, robbas or follow mc robb and rest in peace. Easy rock, Yes, Rob.
Speaker 6: Robbase, he has a great state show.
Speaker 1: Everybody to say Missy or Lauren Hill, Oh my.
Speaker 6: God, I love both of them, but I'm gonna say Missy.
Speaker 1: She's not drinking anymore.
Speaker 4: I'm saying I'm gonna say no, but it's true. I love I mean, I love Laurence Hill, but I gotta say Missy. Missy is my like. I look up to Missy like, oh my god, she's beyond just hip hop. She's beyond just you know, a female artist. She's iconic now.
Speaker 1: That's iconic to me. And and her talent is her show right now is phenomenal.
Speaker 6: I know I haven't gotten to it. I haven't gotten to I've been doing my thing.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Busta, Missy and Sierra's all onto. Wow.
Speaker 3: Your Busta definitely told me about yesterday. Yeah, shout out to miss you ain't come to my tour alone.
Speaker 1: It's still going though. I mean to day they do.
Speaker 2: Beastie boys are fat boys. Fat boys any stories with either of them. Yeah, the Fat Boys, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: That was the first major tour Salt, Pepper, Sponderrella went on Boys. That's what when I auditioned was so Pepper was for that tour, the Fat Boy's Tour and my first show with Salt and Pepper, My first show with Salt and Pepper. Let me have a drink.
Speaker 1: Drink, I'm drink my first My first show was with Salt and Pepper.
Speaker 4: Salt and Pepper had to do a song called I Desire and all I had to do was drop a desire and it went like this, we're on a mission. This and all the opposition mcs, this is my butcher kissing because I desire and I didn't drop it.
Speaker 6: Oh, I did not drop I did not drop it. I was so scared.
Speaker 1: I was like, because this is the first tour you're on.
Speaker 4: It's the first show I've ever shown on the first tour, which was Fat Boy's Tour. And why was everybody on the side heavy d and the boys, the Fat Boys cracking up?
Speaker 1: They dropped the ball. Well, they that's a big part that the crowd didn't know. The crowded.
Speaker 4: The crowd didn't know and so and Pepper did really well in covering it. They was like, I desire you desire, spin you desire. I was like, we got the map.
Speaker 1: And eventually we got off the stage.
Speaker 4: Well, I got to drop the song, but I was done after that. And on the side, the Fat Boys Markie d with kuk Ski and buff rest in.
Speaker 1: Peace one is we need him to come on the show Man.
Speaker 4: They was cracking up on the side and at that point I was like, I want to go home. I said, I don't want to be spending rella no more.
Speaker 1: I don't want to because it was so bad.
Speaker 4: It was so bad, but.
Speaker 1: We got through it.
Speaker 4: They didn't laugh no more after that because he was on somehow I figured it out and I dropped it on point and look where we you know, we got.
Speaker 2: There, so we don't have to drink to that, okay, jam Master J or Doctor Dre jam rest in Peace stories.
Speaker 1: Just he was just a real cool dude. You know.
Speaker 4: I got to be around him in his uh, in his space when he was producing. My boy Stanley Brown, who's a producer. I don't know if you guys who know who Stanley is, He's a big time producer, brought me to he was producing with jam Master J. When when Jay was doing his stuff and brought me around to of the sessions or whatever, and I just got to see him at work. So yeah, I'm just he's one of my favorites. Yeah, mess the blueprint from me, and you have your own academy, right like, Like, well, no, I did some clinics.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't have an academy. I wanted to, but I didn't. I didn't get to get it off the ground. But yes I do.
Speaker 6: I do spin clinics every so often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's dope clinics. J clinics rock Kim or karas one.
Speaker 1: That's hard going down. She's just so y'all really going in. Look, I'm like looking all right.
Speaker 2: Serrato or turntables, I mean nuts, Why would you say turntablesto or vinyl? No Serato or vinyl vinyl because you're gonna use Serrato on turntables, guys. Okay, okay, hold on, that's collector.
Speaker 6: I'm a collector of vinyl. So yes, vinyl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen to my detrimental. My favorite DJs all time and since it went digital.
Speaker 2: Is not DJs really, I mean DJ offic is my studio. I've done some gigs, but I stopped doing what I was doing. How active I was before. I didn't do a transition.
Speaker 1: DJ right like one of my parties, I'll get together and I don't.
Speaker 4: Think, can't know.
Speaker 2: It was a different thing to me, the culture of Vinyl DJ going through the records quickly, knowing just by the artwork really quick, grabbing the record, you.
Speaker 1: The label, and going this is just a whole thing.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't miss carrying the crates. I still have a lot of my records. But is it going for you?
Speaker 6: I mean it's not. You don't do it anymore at.
Speaker 1: All at the crib office in the studio.
Speaker 6: Do you know Vinyl is making a comeback.
Speaker 1: I have all my.
Speaker 2: Vinyl Okay, I have all my records and I still do mixes put out if Yeah, I don't know people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just know.
Speaker 2: I know, like for example, we have Dante's here and yeah that's all Vinyl, but yeah that was.
Speaker 4: Are you going to do a set? You gotta do it, and if you do it, I'm gonna do one. I'll I'll be I guess on it. They've called me to do it. I just I should have probably reach out to them since I'm here this time, but they did reach out to me to get me to do it.
Speaker 6: So so I don't do a lot of vinyl sets I was.
Speaker 4: I used to do this thing called Fresh forty fives for me and my DJ crew in Dallas would come together every once and once one Thursday out of a month and we would just play all forty fives And it is the best ship ever. And nothing has been as rewarding as that feeling of playing vinyl after you do these parties and use the technology, which I love. You know, I get paid that way, but it's when it's when vinyl plays for me.
Speaker 1: It's just different. It's just different. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the fact that you are a collector and you still have all your vinyl, you should be definitely that's just me.
Speaker 2: No, Well, Dante's you heard Rich Medina, who's a part of Dante's Rich.
Speaker 6: Give me a call.
Speaker 1: J T.
Speaker 6: Donaldson, give me a call.
Speaker 4: Let me know.
Speaker 1: I'm bringing We're gonna we're.
Speaker 6: Gonna get together.
Speaker 1: Bring I'm gonna bring a bag.
Speaker 3: I want my friend and I'm not gonna make out of the eye contact with I like my friend. DJ E Finn never called him Erican in my life and I'm never gonna call him eric and I don't care.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually didn't. I did use. I was using with him.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 1: One of my last things that I was doing was a tour DJ with him. We did Canada. I remember, I did you attractor on that? But that I was like, I don't like it. No, you don't like Serado either. No, it's just different for me. It's different. He's a vinyl guy. But but but let me ask you that this is a DJ.
Speaker 3: People like him, all right, he has Drake Champs, he has all the other things going on. But what happens to a DJ that's like him that says I only want to do vinyl.
Speaker 6: There's plenty of places to do vinyl here.
Speaker 10: No, it has made it a research, it's a feeling. So when you it's coming back, you said, but I'm out. Then when it just happened, then then like when you say, then, what's then?
Speaker 1: Like I'm talking about you know before before it came back. You know what happened to one of my last gigs. I went to Orlando do a gig. Bors was with me.
Speaker 2: I don't know where borses at. I go to the club, everybody's on Serado. Then it goes now now I'm going to go with my vinyl set and I brought.
Speaker 1: My mixer, and it's a difference for them to switch. Everybody looked at me, like you ruin. I get you. That's the hardest thing. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't, I don't. I like you do not believe that mixing vinyl with a regular technique, you know, like controllers and hardware whatever goes together. For some reason, I feel like, if you're going to do a vinyl situation, stick with that vibe.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna do utilize the.
Speaker 4: Technology in any kind of way, do that vibe because it is two different sounds, and audience wise, they're probably gonna want to either this or that.
Speaker 1: That's just how I feel about it.
Speaker 2: So and no shade too, because like, for example, my boy DJ Craze I think is one of the best DJs in the world. He utilizes he was dope on vinyl and he's even better using the technology.
Speaker 1: And I do both too.
Speaker 4: I just I just feel like I don't know if I would want to do at the same time. So my daughter's djaying now and I'm me and her going to do a mom and me party?
Speaker 6: A mom and me?
Speaker 1: Where is that?
Speaker 4: She she she has a residency and she has a few residencies in Dallas and she has her own night.
Speaker 1: What's the mom and mom and me?
Speaker 4: Is like, she's going to bring her mom so I can.
Speaker 6: DJ with her?
Speaker 1: But what what? What date?
Speaker 4: What's the date? But August thirty, August thirty first in Dallas. It's called Lady Love. It's a spot she does and she rocks parties, right, and I.
Speaker 1: Could make that you would come?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, that's that's the idea is for me to DJ.
Speaker 6: But I'm like, do I use Vinyl? Can I use vinyl?
Speaker 1: And she you know she used? She used?
Speaker 6: I asked her if I can use for her party?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So it's but I don't know.
Speaker 6: She uses the technology and me using vinyl.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure how that's going to work.
Speaker 1: But have four turntable setups, like two different setups.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I still remember me doing vinyl and her doing c DJs is one thing working. Tomorrow Me and her are playing live tomorrow. Yeah yeah, yeah, me and my daughter's playing live tomorrow.
Speaker 1: What what day is tomorrow? Tomorrow? This quick time with slide.
Speaker 2: I've been living a rough fla alright, next one, Jazzy Joyce or Coco Chanel.
Speaker 1: Take a shot. No, thank you Joyce. Okay, she's the blueprint too. Yes.
Speaker 6: Most of the time, when you mentioned.
Speaker 4: The pivotal DJ female DJs, you're going to say Joyce, Spinderella, and Coco Chanel, as in, there's so many female DJs out there, but.
Speaker 6: That tear Joyce. I met Joyce.
Speaker 4: On one of those earlier tours and she was so I didn't know who she was and Jazzy Joyce and Eddie f was my boyfriend at the time, and he goes and I got jealous because he was talking to Joyce and I was like, you know, I was like.
Speaker 1: Who's that.
Speaker 4: Who are you talking to? And you know, I had an attitude with him, and he was like, that's fucking Jazzy Joyce. And I was like, oh, Ship, I had never really met anybody that does what I do and it was her.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Oh yeah, God damn big Jazzy Joyce. Ready to drink to bring over absolutely redd Aler or kick Capri Ship.
Speaker 6: Come are you doing this?
Speaker 1: Like skin ship for this? Who did this? These guys are there? Respect? To both.
Speaker 4: I'm going to take a drink on that because I can't.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting to take a shot. She's getting so old, all right, e p M. D Ornaughty by Nature? Oh, I'm gonna say naughty by nature? Any stories because trash was.
Speaker 3: Dave Peppah, Yeah, I'm sorry, I made up.
Speaker 1: I've been around them a.
Speaker 6: Lot, I'll say that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well i've been around that.
Speaker 3: What I'm like, I'm like a half a therapist. So when she said that, she's like around and you can just see her thoughts. You can just see it.
Speaker 1: You didn't see that. She was just thinking about everything.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at her, like, no more drinks over here, I'm gonna I'm picking somebody, don't worry, somebody getting paid.
Speaker 11: I'm looking at you and you're thinking about like you just there's tons and tons of stories and thoughts, trust me, Peppa and tre Or just period, just period, period, just period.
Speaker 1: Do you I'm sorry?
Speaker 4: I know Thomas my brother dj My brother is DJing for trench right now. Yes, so tretches out on the road, doing you know anything? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I went I went to the that's.
Speaker 6: My brother DJing behind truck.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I went to the.
Speaker 6: DJ boone shoutout, dj J, do.
Speaker 1: We take a shot for d J boy. I feel like I feel like that it's warrant and it's his birthday to I got you, I gotta, I.
Speaker 12: Gotta, I gotta, I gotta right analog or digital, which is kind of like we're already just where my heart is, all right?
Speaker 1: Cool or DJ Hollywood, Oh wow, Well.
Speaker 4: Give it up for her because hip hop is here because of him. So I'm gonna say her.
Speaker 2: So I don't have to cheat, I don't have to drink, and we on the fifty first anniversary exactly.
Speaker 1: No, it's crazy, all right. The source of Double Legs.
Speaker 4: L I'm gonna say the source because I was at that show when when Snoop was like New.
Speaker 1: York ain't got no. I was there. That's a moment. That was a huge moment there.
Speaker 4: I saw. I saw when Sugar was on that stage, like you know, I was in that room. Oh my god, it was crazy. We was like this something.
Speaker 1: Pepper and Me was like this, they're gonna go It's gonna go down. It's gonna go down.
Speaker 4: Like it was rough, didn't feel like for sure was forwards itself was rough.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, back then I met, but it was it was it was entertaining, but it was rough, but it was so important at that time.
Speaker 4: It was but you saw it when the beefs were happening, and you just knew something's going to go down.
Speaker 1: It's the first time people are seeing each other.
Speaker 2: There was no social media, so this is where they're going to see each other at I just to try. Yeah, he tries to get me heroin all the time. No, thank you, grand Master Flash or Grand Master Theodore.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, respect to both of them.
Speaker 1: Yo, yo, that's good.
Speaker 6: Is a drink ship, right, drink chack.
Speaker 2: Hm and drink champs, Just so you know what it means. It's not how bad you get tonight. It's how you wake up in the morning. If you can function the next day, that's the drink champ. You can pass out right now, but as long as you wake up in the morning and work.
Speaker 3: By the way, I just want to throw this out there because you know, my flight was delayed, so I'm looking at him like, where'd you want to privates?
Speaker 1: Just delayed? I was doing somebody else's private I'm not there.
Speaker 3: I'm not ship. So they said, said Spina has something to do after this. That yeah, because it's your drink order. He's obsessed with your drink list. He's did you have something to do for the best of them? Now, I'm like, I'm like, wait a minute, she ordered going after this, So he said exactly what he said. I don't think you go anywhere after that whiskey and the killer. I was like, I put those all four combinations together. I'm like that that you gotta give. You want to you want to pop.
Speaker 1: Ace, Not really, I can take one with me.
Speaker 3: No, of course you can't. You can take as much as you want, because you know why you want something.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 3: You know, He's like, wink because because our show is your show. I just want you to know that one main percent. If you want to promote pink Lemon seals.
Speaker 1: Want to say toenails this time now, we're just trying to change it. I mean, is this normal?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: This is this is normal? We love the drinks or the talking, just the drinks is normal. Just say you something.
Speaker 3: The love is not okay, this love that we have for you, we are so excited. We were so excited that you accepted to come to us and tell your story that we are about to say a word that I don't know what it means. Say manically. We might have to make a drink chance for book.
Speaker 1: Let's use it. Yes, yes are you? Yes? Next one Buck diamond D shout out the book wild.
Speaker 4: Or diamond D okay, taking into place Diamondy. I just actually he reached out to diamond D because he did this. I feel like he did this compilation that I was looking for. Yeah, he put out an album. He put out some stuff, right yeah, and I've been looking for it and I found out it was him, and I reached out to him. So I'm gonna say, diamond.
Speaker 1: D okay, this is very easy. Podcast or radio.
Speaker 6: Today is National Radio Day?
Speaker 1: Is it today?
Speaker 4: Was it yesterday?
Speaker 1: You guys are around here? No word? Podcast Radio Day.
Speaker 6: I used to do radio. I used to do radio.
Speaker 1: I was on for a while. Yeah, I was on.
Speaker 4: I had my own syndicated radio show back in two thousand and six, and it was called The back Spin Spin Cycle Radio, and then I then I changed it to the back Spin.
Speaker 6: So I'm gonna say radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, not mad at that. A tribe called quest or Day call Quest and I loved saw ship.
Speaker 4: I'm drinking.
Speaker 1: Wait for us.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, it's not tasting good anymore. It's getting harsher, it's getting harsher. Yeah, we're close, we're close.
Speaker 1: I see the end. Help Little Kim or REMI ma, oh.
Speaker 4: Wow, this is hard Jesus. I'm gonna say little Kim because I don't know. Little Kim did something for me with females and hip hop way back when. I just feel like she just kind of took that ship like let me just and I was like, oh she she Wow, she's crazy, but I like her, you know, so Yeah, Little Kim.
Speaker 1: N w A or public enemy mm hmm.
Speaker 6: N w A or public public enemy.
Speaker 1: All right. Rhapsody or Bahamada ship really pinning two different generations.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like the seed of Bahamadia is rhaps respect respect to Bahamaedia, one of like like to me, she's one of like those mcs that's like unsung, and Rhapsody to me is unsung today in a way that she's kind of creeping in there.
Speaker 1: Her new stuff is amazing.
Speaker 6: Amazing, amazing.
Speaker 4: I had my own Rhapsody for for a long time, and I remember I was like, like I would think she's probably she should be out on top of the situation more than she is. But maybe it's because of what people are demanding, you know, out there right now. But I'm going to say, rhapsody.
Speaker 1: How about you drink? You can take a drink of.
Speaker 6: You would take a drink, it's right there.
Speaker 1: Eric abad or at Leasta keys Ship. Eric, we were a small instance. I didn't. That would have been a little weird if you would be like, yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 8: I did not.
Speaker 1: I did not, did you. We try to get a hold of it. We get.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: We wanted to have it on drinks for everybody to smell. I even told my wife to order it. I was like, but you got to get it. Before she looked at what it was called. She was like, you are we ordering Eric pussy?
Speaker 4: The real thing?
Speaker 1: We just wore black colture. Baby, I'm sorry I went too far.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, and that is the last one. Give her the last the last one? All right, there's one more, Yeah, okay, loyalty or respect.
Speaker 4: Today?
Speaker 6: Respect?
Speaker 1: I used to do the loyalty thing. Tell us why.
Speaker 6: Loyalty will get you.
Speaker 1: Fucked up.
Speaker 4: It will get you fucked up, and it's good to be that. Never give up who you are if you're a loyal type or whatever. But remember respect is more important because you'll be respecting yourself. When you command respect, you're respecting yourself so you can be loyal and people could just walk all over that and you'll be hurting the end. But respect, it's like you command that. I'm giving it. I'm going to receive that.
Speaker 1: Respect.
Speaker 4: I'm picking respect.
Speaker 3: I still want to take a shot. I'm sorry. I was supposed to say a shot, but I really.
Speaker 1: And we're done with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really, you know, you know what I really wanted. I really want you to know how much hip hop love it. Because the thing is like I've been studying you for studying, studying since you went to Left Rack. Remember he's been studying since then. You know what, You're right, You're very true. And one of the reasons why me and EF and started it is because started this. It's like we want to pay respect to our legends, and sometimes, very seldomly we realize our legends don't don't understand how important they are.
Speaker 1: Their impact their legacy, they impact their legacy with you, I'm in between. Do you know how important you are to people like us people? Do you understand today? I do okay.
Speaker 4: You know, I was in my own way, I think, dealing with my own self worth, and I kind of got to the point where I'm like, I deserve to be you know, the love I give it, so I deserve it back. But my husband tells me that all the time. You know, do you understand you know how major you you are. I'm just DEDI that, you know, right to my family, to my loved ones, and that's always first to me. And when I step out, I put the hat, the spin hat on the gear or whatever.
Speaker 1: But I get it now, I get what I get it.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 1: You're really Poli. But you're really like.
Speaker 3: I said it earlier, and I said it like from like a guy standpoint, and I was like, you know, guys had you on that day. But now let's think about the girls, especially a girl DJ coming up.
Speaker 1: You're in there.
Speaker 3: It's huge, So you're in their bathroom for real, Like I was playing around early in.
Speaker 1: The top of the bathroom though.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're in the room. They're in their room. That ship is so like to me, it's so dope because.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously we watched Wakanda, right, and I know everyone's probably looking at me like what this is bringing Waconda?
Speaker 1: But Wakanda is not fake. Waconda is based on real reality. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: And if we was the base Wakanda on a real life place, who would be the DJ?
Speaker 1: Me? I'll be up in there? You and Jazzy motherfucking Jazzy. Yes, yeah, that's huge.
Speaker 6: He's one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they don't kill that. I feel like I killed that. I felt like I was like that was hard. Yeah, yeah, no no, but but funk that. I'm playing around. But I'm not playing around. That's real.
Speaker 3: Like all the guests that we have, if I was to tell them your last party of your life, who would be the DJ?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, I.
Speaker 3: Guarantee you and if you want me to do it, I will prove it to you. They would say spend the Wether or Jesse.
Speaker 4: Really, I don't hear it like that. I'm sorry, I don't. I don't let mean brush I appreciate that. That's crazy?
Speaker 1: Are you crazy? You don't know that?
Speaker 6: I don't know that?
Speaker 8: Do I know?
Speaker 1: I love our humble legends? You you you mean saying that.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: That's magical? Don't give a what are you drinking and get one another one.
Speaker 4: I look up to Jazz Jeff. When you talk about when you pay me when I am in the same I guess on that line with the great people that I look up to, it's wild to me. So as wild as it you think it is, trust me, I'll be like, but.
Speaker 1: It's wild that you don't see yourself there. Let me just say something to you. That's what everyone tests about you. M you are and by the way, I want to because I don't want to label it female. Mm hmmm. Because we labeled female, it kind of brings it down, it minimizes it, right you and thank you for that. One of the ellist DJs.
Speaker 3: Ever And now who did I say, Jazz Jeff, that's crazy, but you know who texts me just now.
Speaker 1: In my mind damn messag Jet mm hmm and damn Master j just told me. No, it's not Jasey j It's me. I'm getting deep you get indeed, indeed.
Speaker 6: Indeed, but that's how you see it.
Speaker 4: It's like it's because.
Speaker 1: You know, it took me to get out of the kind of like the rap game to understand that I was.
Speaker 3: I wasn't ship without the DJ. I wasn't nothing to this day, my DJ butch Rock, I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Fat Joe.
Speaker 3: I just went to Bad Joe's concert. I didn't even know it was a concert. I thought it was a fucking Keys to the City. And then I performed, and my DJ literally called me. It was like, you performed without me?
Speaker 8: God?
Speaker 1: Right, how you go do that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: But it makes me just reiterate what happens, and the DJ is really the most important part of hip hop.
Speaker 1: To me, now that I can see it. No, it is now that I could get out of it and watch it and appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing to be paired with those greats. It's wild to me because I still remember that day that I did not drop the song. I just all of that plays in my head still in my life, and when I'm like talking with Jeff.
Speaker 1: And I'll be like, damn, that's the fucking jazzy Jeff.
Speaker 4: It's wild to me.
Speaker 1: You look at Jesse, Jeff. Do you know how Jesse Jeff probably looks as you. I don't know that.
Speaker 4: I don't know that, but you know, I remember saying, Jeff on the side watching me play, and.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god, mother, Jeff's to yourself. This is just me.
Speaker 4: He stood there and he was watching me play. This is the wildss feel. Speak somebody that you look up to, checking you out to see how you I said, let me get my ship together.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it is a wild feeling. But I guess that's my.
Speaker 1: Humility.
Speaker 6: That's just who I am. You know, it's who I am.
Speaker 3: So so let me ask you a question. We have never asked this question, and I've never asked this this way. So, Pepper, where were they at.
Speaker 1: Listen to this interview? What would you say to them?
Speaker 4: Hm hmm.
Speaker 6: Well I would say, let's give the people what they want.
Speaker 4: And I also would say we have work to do internally, and if that doors open, I'm open to that is to do in the work internally. So I I you know, I don't want to abandon our legacy. I just mentally have to do what needs to be done for myself and and and there has to be a mutual respect.
Speaker 1: And that's it. That's all needs to be.
Speaker 3: So I love this, like you know, she never what does Michelle Obama say? They go to look Michelle Obama, you're.
Speaker 1: Like she said, when they go low we go high.
Speaker 4: That's like, yeah, I respect Michelle Obama because she I mean, they have dogged her to the ground and she still she will say with her piece and say what she has to say with strength. So yeah, I'm I'm a part of that side that feels like, you know, let's.
Speaker 1: Make it right. And what do you because you know we're at the internet the interview, But what do you think it is to make it right?
Speaker 4: I said it mutual respect. When you have respect for somebody, you listen for what they with their situation is. You understand what their situation. You don't talk, you listen, and it goes. It's it's mutual as both sides have to do that. So it's almost like a read what's the word when you redo something? Read reinvent, reinvent a reinvention, and it has to be a reinvention because.
Speaker 3: All right, before we get about it, right, you came to them and you said, yo, just this and this right whatever it was. I don't want to get into particulars because that's your business. And they you felt like they didn't comply.
Speaker 6: I feel like they don't see what I'm saying, ok. And and and in order for that to happen.
Speaker 4: You have to have a third party explain, mediator, a mediator, therapists, something to that that helps to sort what the needs are because we're not grasping what They're not grasping what I'm saying. I'm grasping what they're saying, but they're not grasping what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But Kevin, canna stop because one second and you said earlier you was like you expect Pepper right, And I've went I searched every interview and Peppa also addressed you right. She said, Spinora is not wrong, like she's not wrong, but she she feels like your discrepancy is with the label and not sor.
Speaker 1: Herbie's not there anymore. The labels aren't there anymore.
Speaker 4: But I'm still here and the business has to be dealt with with who's involved at this point and who's involved YouTube and me. There's no Herbie, there's no label. But at this point, the three of us are here and guess what I'm not getting what I should get out of it? Or I didn't I'm not getting what's you know?
Speaker 1: Do me right?
Speaker 6: So if I was one.
Speaker 4: Of them, I would go, let's get her what she needs it's not going to come out of my pocket, but I'm going to get her.
Speaker 6: Let's get her to where what she needs.
Speaker 4: What they what I felt happened was they shut down because it was like, you're coming at me. It was defensive and it was like, no, I'm coming at whoever, because y'all are salt and pepper. I need I need somebody to address what I've done and I haven't gotten paid for. I need somebody to address my contribution not getting handled. And guess what we did it in the end, it got handled because I said something, if you closed mouths don't get set. So you know, I'm not saying they're fully responsible for everything with me.
Speaker 1: It's herbie right there. I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm saying I didn't get what I'm supposed to get out of this. And at the end of the day, we y'all need to address it because I'm still here working, I'm still here providing, I'm still here contributing.
Speaker 1: And then it just got really nasty and ugly and we don't have to go over that. But at the end of the day, we are.
Speaker 4: The hearts are open. I just feel like, you know, if the door is going to be opened. It has to be a respect for each party involved.
Speaker 3: So right now, God comes down, God comes to spend the bell and says, yeah, I want you to make one last record.
Speaker 1: To shave humanity. Who are you calling to be the producer and the artist?
Speaker 4: Oh ship, that's a good one.
Speaker 6: But yeah, but this is your humanity.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't really got to be cool.
Speaker 6: I mean that's big, that's big.
Speaker 1: You can still you know. Who would I call?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean call on my favorites, Yeah, favorites, Gosh, Jeff, I like Jeff, I like Pete Rock, I like I mean, I don't know about saving humanity, but I know about the the.
Speaker 1: The vibe I like.
Speaker 6: To get, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I would have to call on my folks.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Mc wise, who you picking? This is me, right, yes, this this is me.
Speaker 3: God came to you, okay, he he and Maui. He haven't had a haircut in seventeen years. God, Yeah, God, God, God's a hippie.
Speaker 1: God is God is a He's in Maui. He's just a foul thing. Ye, save the life, save a life. He's drinking. Yeah, that's a hard one, dude, I don't know. I would.
Speaker 4: I would pick myself. To be honest, I would pick I would. I would pick myself on the on the vocals, on everything.
Speaker 1: God damn, I mean I picked my lyrics.
Speaker 6: I have a lot of friends that I can call on. Oh ship, sorry, oh ship.
Speaker 1: You got give me a.
Speaker 4: Drink?
Speaker 1: K I'm Air Jordans right now. He's so deep.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, but because you know why, I'm really wants you to understand how important you are to us, like how important you are to everyone in this room. When we knew that we had spend the other book, everybody became early.
Speaker 8: Is that so.
Speaker 1: That's crazy except your flight was late.
Speaker 3: That's my flight that wasn't And by the way, I went and took a shower, came change, he came to shovel. Yes, because because it's not that I want to give your flowers, it's you deserve your flowers.
Speaker 4: And thank you.
Speaker 3: You're for female, for female DJs, for female DJs, DJs for humans.
Speaker 1: I want to let me go over with me for human beings, the humanity.
Speaker 3: What you have done and what you have brung to the game will never never, ever, ever, ever, ever ever be compromised.
Speaker 1: Or erased or ras. We love you. We want you to know that we love you. We want you to know how much we cherish you because you're a legacy, real real legacy spend. Thank you so much man for coming to us and.
Speaker 3: Letting us give you your flowers, because your flowers as well deserve but by the way, it's deserved, like you're really like.
Speaker 1: A leg legend. And thank you for coming to fucking drink I said, I said, I tell, I said, babe, what they want with me on drink Champs this is more than deserve.
Speaker 3: So let me just ask you if you could, if you can fix anything in hip hop according to your career, what would it be? Oh wow, I guess the gate keeping explain that to the people that don't understand.
Speaker 4: I feel like, you know, there's a hold on what everybody needs to be doing in hip hop, like we gotta sound like this or we gotta do it this way. I mean, I like that it's open and people get to choose, but I feel like the powers that be kind of put in.
Speaker 6: Our face what they.
Speaker 4: What it needs to be, like it has to be like this, like it has to be ratchet or it has to be you know, gangster or it has to be conscious, so it has to be this. It's like so much to all of us, and that we we're open to go into whatever direction we want. But I feel like, you know, mainstream kind of conducts it to be mainstream and what they whatever they feel is mainstream. And we know, right, I mean, we see right through it.
Speaker 1: Do you not see it?
Speaker 4: I see it? I feel like speaking like Rhapsody, I'm a I'm a fan of Rhapsody, but I don't get to see her, you know, as much as i'd like to. So I follow her, you know, like I follow her, but I feel like they push, they push in front of you who they want to make a star, and it makes you just wonder.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: A point the baby that won't even It just makes you wonder, like is this all a part of a plan to you know, put us put in front of us what they want us.
Speaker 1: They want this to be the.
Speaker 2: Uh this freedom because social media, okay, let me democratize it. But really, even though these tech companies now are the gatekeepers and there's a lot of stuff going on there, but.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you so for lack of a better term, and you correct me if I'm wrong. What's so unprepable was kind of like the ratchet conscious and sexy you feel ratchet was in there.
Speaker 4: I don't think we were ratchet.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't see the ratchet.
Speaker 6: We did a little raunchy.
Speaker 1: If you did raunchy, then that's that's eighties ratchet.
Speaker 4: Our panties like we had.
Speaker 1: Not what it is, but for that time, it would have been pushing that envelope.
Speaker 4: It was everything.
Speaker 3: So when all the things you've been when you listened by the way, I told you you how I felt earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because but I'm not a female. Yeah we know this. But when you listen to knowing you have daughters and you listen to the right these records have dances too. Because I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm saying it, I'm saying it. But and by the way, I was like, holy ship. Do you feel like, damn they didn't listen to me us or do you feel like damn they keeping our message going?
Speaker 4: Oh no, I don't feel like they didn't listen to us. I feel like they're in their own space. Hm. I feel like these artists that are out that come out are in their own space, but they have to find who they are and do what they do, so I.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're inspired by our music and about how we work, great.
Speaker 1: They've been pushing it real good for a Yeah, if you're inspired, great.
Speaker 4: I mean I just remember for us what we've done too for a womanhood. I remember how we kind of push the movement empowerment, empowering women and that was really important that we We could use more of that. Now, we definitely could use more of that. So artists today can take a page from that book. I'm not saying be like us, do you, but a page from that book as a woman, you know, is only going to make it better for your surroundings.
Speaker 2: I think, right, And we probably need more female groups, that's what we're at. We were talking about that with mass because there's not as many groups anymore in general, the.
Speaker 1: Old school groups like well let's talk about what a band? Right? How does this session happen? Because now you're the DJ, now you're stepping up session.
Speaker 4: Well, they called me to m C on regular occasions because you know, bless you, bless you, because they knew I could.
Speaker 3: You know I could, And just just a little are we taking the shot for no reason? No, you are okay, okay, I was waiting. If you had one, I would take it with you. Let's go you ready, Yeah, my co let's go up your cup. I'm doing the guy.
Speaker 1: So what a man? That's called session?
Speaker 4: Freddie Fox? Freddie Fox was was the writer.
Speaker 2: Wait the same bumpy knuckles, knuckles, bumpy knuckles, what a man?
Speaker 3: Yes, what the fuck out of here? It's my friend. I'm calling him giving a call.
Speaker 4: Yes, And he said, he said, he said, Salt is the person you want to you want to Pepper is the person you want to take home. No, so is the person you want to take home to mama. Spin is the person you want to marry. And Pepper is the person you want to fucko.
Speaker 1: This is what he said. This is what he said.
Speaker 6: He said he had this, he had this, He had this thing about Salt Pepper.
Speaker 4: This was this is his his right and and and he said, he said, Salt is the person to take home to mama. Spin is the person you want to marry, and ask him. You can ask him yourself. He won't say it, he won't say it publicly for whatever reason, but you can talk to them. And Pepper is the person you want to fuck. It was just this thing about salt and pepper.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, you calling her? Go ahead on what's happen? I don't know on the regular phone, nigga, ain't fucking me? Oh man, do I got his number? I don't know if that's is this?
Speaker 4: Just want to see if I can find his number?
Speaker 1: Please? Is this what number you got?
Speaker 4: You got this.
Speaker 1: Exactly? All right? So why am I calling?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: But because.
Speaker 4: You could just talk to him separately. But that was the gist of the conversation that I had with him. And so when when we went into the studio to do it, and he had this idea of how is the one they want to suck mom, take home to mom, take home mom.
Speaker 1: To get married to marry.
Speaker 4: Is the one you want to suck and and not him? But he was like, that's how it seems like the world easy, all right. I don't know from what he said that's you know, you'd have to talk with him about it. But it gave us a picture. It gave me a picture of how to vocalize my verse. And when you ask how did it come together, it was a description of how to deliver my verse.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and that was like your introduction because everyone it was.
Speaker 4: Just so it wasn't my introduction to MC and though it was because I was on earlier stuff too, but but that was a big one.
Speaker 1: World and it was you was you pleased?
Speaker 4: I was very pleased. But you know, I'm a DJ, so I just got up there and just did my thing or whatever, and I mean for that to be a hit, it was. It's still a head to this day. It is as soon as the girl leaves somebody, they be like, what a man, What a man?
Speaker 3: And as a DJ, to be able to play a record somebody incredible. It's either when they leave them or when they meet somebody like what a man.
Speaker 4: That by the way, if you want to praise the men, you know, like men don't get a lot of praise.
Speaker 3: This woman who played this record? Okay, this woman, and they throw it in our face they be like, what a man?
Speaker 1: What a man?
Speaker 4: You better be a good man.
Speaker 1: That's what goddamn taket shot.
Speaker 6: Okay, So we got the what a man behind us. Shout out to all the men out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, m.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm like, so.
Speaker 3: We have hip hop fifty We had fifty one, now fifty one, now right, we had saltemn Pepper. What is it thirty year anniversary or twenty year anniversary?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, gosh, well thirty five.
Speaker 4: Eighty six, So eighty six would be forty years for Salt and Pepper and I came in eighty seven, a year after. Yeah, I think they released first in eighty six if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 6: And I came eighty seven, so we're almost the forty year mark.
Speaker 1: Wow, I think.
Speaker 4: A little ya A long.
Speaker 1: Time in your opinion? How would this legacy end? Perfect opinion?
Speaker 4: We'll figure our shit out, We'll do a world tour. We'll get you know, show the world that we as a unit or a movement as opposed to personal situations, and we would be able to as women address our ship.
Speaker 1: If it should be.
Speaker 4: If not, the music will always be there and the memories will always be there. That stands out for me. I always have that, and I think we all will always have the music.
Speaker 1: So if you could take anything back, what it would it be?
Speaker 6: Nothing at all?
Speaker 1: Fuck?
Speaker 4: I love the answer nothing because it bring you right here. It brought you right here, like I can't regret anything. I mean, there's things that I wish I would have known, known better to do like well, being young and just kind of just going with ship and and just following along and just being afraid to speak my mind early on or say things that would rock the situation. I mean, things might have been a little bit different had I done that, you know. But I can't regret anything because it's all it happened in my time. Yeah, that day, when that day came, when I did speak up, it was all like, do you imagine something just rushing in. I don't regret anything. No, I'm happy where I am.
Speaker 1: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame calls.
Speaker 4: I'm like the.
Speaker 1: Ring a Lang Lang one day, one day, You're not. You're not denouncing it. You're gonna stay with of course should.
Speaker 4: And right there and being grateful, thankful, you know. I think I got to say thank you to the girls. I got to say thank you to Herbie for what they have done for me. And you know, I'm here because of that. But I'm also here because of the talent that I exusted, and I'm here because of the just the door that was open for me. I took full advantage of it. And if I ain't live up to this name, then I ain't do my job. If I didn't live up to Spinderella, Like, there's no other Spinderella in this world that would have lived up to this job the way I have no one, no one, no one, And I'm still to this day doing it.
Speaker 6: But I'm doing a little bit different. I'm enjoying it today.
Speaker 1: I'm enjoying it today. I used to be a job. It used to be a job. It used to be work.
Speaker 4: I used to be like, oh my god, the hustle, bustle, and I remember that. But now I get to call my shots on your term. It's on my terms day and it's the best thing ever.
Speaker 3: Fucking I can't think of a better way to end this fucking just like that, you know what. That's how I'm living life now. Good Fuck everyone, I'm sorry, did I say that about all right? Spend thank you, thank you so much because I know again I know you didn't.
Speaker 1: Know what you did for me. Yeah earlier what I said, I did not at all.
Speaker 4: I did not know that was in the background, like I would like, it's the same the same position.
Speaker 1: Oh did she go like that's crazy?
Speaker 3: And thank you so much. But by the way, let's reiterate me and e FN, this is your house. Anytime you want to promote something, if you want to promote that you got yellow ice dropping and it's just your PEPs selling yellow ice.
Speaker 1: But guess what, there's certain.
Speaker 3: Niggas that I did, thee.
Speaker 1: The algorithms I look at that it makes one day. I'll be back.
Speaker 3: You can be back anytime you want, because this is your house. Respect your husband, respect to your daughter, respected your family, because your family is the associated family of my family.
Speaker 1: And but that's not why you're here.
Speaker 3: You hear it, because you're one of the greatest DJs of all time. And I wanted to say that, particularly because certain people say greatest female DJs, and I don't.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I don't identify with that. Identify with DJ yes, not female. I'm killing it. The transis period. People gonna fuck with me. She is one of the greatest DJs of all fucking time. Amazing, not man, not woman, not black, not white, not Puerto Rican, not fucking do Dolph, no, not just diuzled off never, just great.
Speaker 1: One of the greatest DJs of all fucking time. Thank you Thank you so much for coming, Thanks for our president.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you for my flowers.
Speaker 1: Jesus one love, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Drink Champs is a Drink Champs LLC production hosts and executive producers n O r E and d j e f N. Listen to Drink Champs on Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs hosted by Yours Truly, dj e FN and n r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials That's at drink Champs across all platforms at the Real noriagon ig at Noriega on Twitter, mine is at Who's Crazy on ig at dj e FN on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink Champs dot com.
Speaker 13: Hazardy Sounds Rising the Machines Cast Your Mentals Volume one available now on all platforms.
Speaker 1: Download today.
Speaker 13: Rising the Machines Song Contest seeking out.
Speaker 1: All artists that want to take their career to the next level.
Speaker 13: Go ahead and join today by downloading the album, picking out your favorite beat, and making a song versu or hook to it submitted to Hazardous Sounds at gmail dot com, and you will be judged by celebrity judges. DJ EFN Drink Champs owned sp Killer platinum producer and Scram Jones Multiplantnum producer as well. You can also summit via ig by recording a video and performing the song simply tag Rise of the Machines Song Contest and we will repost your video as well. Winners will be announced September seventh. Join today and may the best artists win
Speaker 8: The gover