Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Meg Si and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law Firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 4: You're still Philadelphia. Seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino.
Speaker 2: Fact Oh Baby Love pod job to beat on the back done. I guess weapony I Nepowers.
Speaker 4: Slabs of the seventy six Ers postgame show right now on ninety seven to five the Fanatic.
Speaker 2: We're back. The Sixers fall by twelve. Final tally tonight, New York one hundred and eleven the Sixers ninety nine. And as I was saying throughout the game, the Sixers twenty they were on a pace to score one hundred, and they fell just shy twenty five in the first, second and third, and in the end they had twenty four points in the fourth and New York wins one to eleven, ninety nine. Our postgame coverage is brought to you by Parks Casino. Seemed as though the Sixers were hanging around to give themselves a chance. They just did not have that one segment where they could push ahead and you know, tie it and take the lead, and the Knicks were just in control. And again we're going to be joined by Matt Murphy. The Knicks had twelve points in transition. So you're like, well, wait, that's not a chart topping figure. But I thought the way that Hart pushed it, and even town it's made a couple of long down court heaves. They really and again, defensive transition has been a key for the city us Nick nurse part of the game. That's almost every single night he talks about that. But I thought the Knicks, you know, we're trying to hurry the ball down the court, and that wasn't even with and beat. You can see where they might want to try that within b just because changing ends and not being in peak physical condition in that it was his first game. You can see where that might have been the strategy. But they they pushed it down there and they were solid. So New York wins by twelve and Nat Murphy here in the booth will pick up our postgame coverage. But they were solid and they were the winners tonight. Speaking of the Knicks over the Sixers in front of a crowd of just under twenty thousand fans, they go one up in the Cup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seventy six Ers. Cup Nights are presented by Chick fil A. Our postgame coverage is presented by Parks Casino. One eleven ninety nine Knicks. In the first NBA Cup game for both of these teams in East Group A, so there's some added significance to the loss for the seventy six Ers. You'll play the other three, well, you'll play four games you'll play either two at home and two on the road, so every game really matters. Now your fate is somewhat in the hands of maybe like an Orlando Magic team that just went up one to zero in the pool against Charlotte. Can they beat the Knicks and then you have to beat Orlando that type of thing. There is a wild card spot in each conference, but just an added layer there to a regular season loss. These games count towards the regular season record. So the Sixers are two and eight, the Knicks get to five hundred at five and five. But tom to your point, Knicks came in when we talk about pace possessions their last thirtieth in pace in the NBA.
Speaker 5: But you figured with Embiid.
Speaker 3: Coming back, and that was something that coach Nurse identified before the game, like as an area where he'd be watching Embiid, who Joel Embiid in his first game of the season, ends with thirteen points in twenty six plus minutes in this game, two for eleven, shooting eight for eight at the line. That was all in the first half, five assists for him. Paul George had a great game twenty nine points, seven for eleven from three with ten rebounds and three steals. What did you see from Embiid and George?
Speaker 2: Well, first, Paul, George, that that's to me is his best game as a sixer. Twenty nine and ten, seven of eleven from three. One of them was a bank three. But as the Sixers will take it, he was terrific. He played thirty two minutes and Joelle, like I said, he just did not seem in sync. A little bit to be expected in terms of, you know, his debut, but normally he's so aggressive and he just off the dribble. You know, he owned the nail nail when he's on, he owns the nail area right, like just the face up where he can wheel and deal and find guys seeing over the top. And he took one shot from that area and it was blocked. And Town's got the better of him tonight, There's no doubt about it. Town's felt like early on Joel was guarding them, you know, playing off him a little bit to start the game. Bank two quick threes from the top by Towns, and you know, like for Joel's it's understood. He just he was two of eleven and of those eleven shots, five were threes and he got foul shots, you know, but it's obviously it's got to be tough. As coach said prior to the game, you know, it's not just Joelle's first game. It's the fact that everybody else has played a preseason, they've had a training camp, and they've played nine or ten games. So he's joining the fray, you know, not just himself, but he's going up against everybody else who's totally getting into a rhythm. So tough game for.
Speaker 5: Embeid and we're waiting for Maxi too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the things that was a little scary is that at halftime Brunts had had like four points and they were still winning, and then he sprains his ankle and comes back and was you know, not like the same that you expect, like the way he looked in the playoffs. But he still ended up with eighteen points and definitely, you know, played in some duress with the ankle, but he was good.
Speaker 5: They look really good.
Speaker 2: They were better tonight.
Speaker 3: Matt Murphy and Tom mcguinnis on our Parks Casino postgame show after one eleven ninety nine loss for the Sixers to the Knicks here in Philadelphia, we await head coaches head coach Nick Nurse's postgame press conference, and I brought up no MAXI obviously he'd love to have him. He's he's got the hamstring injury. It's such a good chemistry with Embiid that's developed over the years. We saw a little glimpse with Embiid and Jared McCain of some chemistry towards the end of the third quarter. How did you interpret that sequence of McCain coming on and Embiid pumping up the crowd.
Speaker 2: Here, Well, that was like the one chance our Morgan and Morgan moment of the game where the Sixers seemingly had, you know, a little bit of momentum, they had the crowd one point game yep. And then and but see that's where the Sixes, These little phases have costed a six Ers in so many different games. Coach cited three and that was before uh, you know, the Lakers game, and there was a moment or two in that game where they had separation that led them to the win. Speaking of the Lakers.
Speaker 3: And Lakers, it was sixty sixty at one point. Clippers game before that was sixty four to sixty two.
Speaker 2: And then the Lakers game as I alluded to, you know, was sixty eight sixty just before halftime, and there was that type of run here. I thought there was two segments. One was after I'm sorry, but the ridiculous reversal Towns smacks two Sixers players and they call a foul on Kelly Ubra and then the baseline drive by Yabusele, you know, got taken by ogb on an Obi. That was huge. That was just a straight blowby right in front of the Sixers bench and coach Nurse took time out. You know, those are breakdowns, right and that that was revealing right there, like because Yabuselets played so well, but not on that play and not particularly in this game. He ended up taking gershun shot one of seven. But the point about Jared, to answer your inquiry, like, you know, he's he's first guard off the bench minutes and he's become you know, I don't want to say it, but in the absence of Max, he go to guys not the right way, but everybody feels comfortable throwing him the ball. And because he can get his shot off, he's a guy that can go out and create some offense. And he did it tonight with back to back twenty point games. He had twenty three tonight.
Speaker 3: You touched on Cleveland towards the end of the game action tonight. That's this is a little bit of a preview now because it's a back to back for both of these teams, and for the Sixers, it's the home game against the twelve and zero Cleveland Cavaliers. They are first in offense, ninth in defense. But their offense one hundred and twenty two plus points per game, that's first, fifty two percent shooting forty one point three percent from three. And they're coming here, They're here to play the Sixers. Yeah, tomorrow night.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, They're having a tremendous start. You know, it's different, a different voice, and sometimes when their perspective change is a little bit. Kenny Atkinson is a second crack at it for him. He had an extensive post game chat yesterday how much he's grown as a coach since his time in Brooklyn, with both international coaching and with the Warriors, and he you know, he's always been a good coach. So and then Donovan Mitchell another great year with Garland and the two young bigs and Allen and Mobley, and then they got nice pieces. They went out and got Strus his second year. Now George Niang is helped out. I mean, they got a really full, good team. And it's another when you talk about Boston and Indiana, the Knicks, the Cleveland Cavalier, the East stacked, and the Sixers trying to catch up again, trying to get their players healthy and trying to, you know, see if they can't string together some solid performances. And you know, tomorrow night difficult task back to back, as you say, whereas Cleveland's rested rolling, they got some things to work on. They had to come back and beat the Bulls, but it's gonna be a tough challenge to be sure.
Speaker 3: Sixers calves another good Eastern Conference battle tomorrow. Tom mc ginnis, thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: Goodnight.
Speaker 3: One eleven ninety nine. The Knicks beat the Sixers tonight. Six Ers are two and eight, the Knicks are five and five. We will try for coach Nurse on the other side, but we'll definitely have a recap of this one with the key stats and the audio highlights. This is the seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino. It's the Parks Casino postgame show after seventy six Ers Knicks in Philadelphia final score New York one eleven, Philadelphia ninety nine on the Blue court for the Emirates NBA Cup with the Gold Cup trophy at mid court beneath the red seven six. Matt Murphy back with you. The next time we'll see this court will be Friday, the twenty second, against Brooklyn. In between then they have Cleveland tomorrow night, and then the Friday road game in Orlando is part of the Cup as well, and then Miami and Memphi at home on the eighteenth and the twentieth, not part of the tournament. Before that Brooklyn game, but again one eleven ninety nine, the Knicks get to five and five the Sixers two and eight. After tonight, the leading scorer in the game was Paul George with twenty nine points on ten of nineteen, shooting seven for eleven from three. He added ten rebounds as well two free throws to get to twenty nine ten rebounds to his game high points total with three steals and a block in thirty two minutes. Joel Embiid and his season debut, finishes with thirteen points, eight coming at the line eight for eight, three rebounds, five assists in twenty six minutes and twenty five seconds as he works his way back into the lineup. Caleb Martin with seventeen for the Sixers. Jared McCain had twenty three off the bench, second to Paul George's twenty nine on the team side. In the game, side, og ananobe twenty four for the Knicks to lead them twenty one from Karl Anthony Towns with a game high thirteen rebounds. Triple double for Josh Hart fourteen points, twelve rebounds, ten assists, the most assists for any player in the game. Our stat of the game is going back to the note about Jared McCain, the Sixers rookie courtesy of at Sixers Stats. It was his second consecutive twenty point game after the career high twenty seven here on Sunday again Charlotte. He is the first rookie with multiple twenty point games this season, so he breaks away from a pack of five other rookies, but it is in a defeat to the Knicks, as the Knicks out scored the Sixers thirty three to twenty four in the fourth quarter. In the game, they outscored them in the paint points in the paint Nicks fifty four, Sixers thirty. It was close going to the fourth. In fact, it was a one possession game. And we'll get into the audio lights in a moment. Seventy eight to seventy five. New York led after three quarters here so with mb back joining Paul George, still no Tyrese Maxi though so not whole. The Sixers were within three heading to the fourth quarter. Neither team really shot it well from three. And we'll hear what Sixers coach Nick Nurse has to say about this loss.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, certainly rusty right, and both rusty a little bit and conditioning. I think showed up fairly early. I've seen him kind of play through that before, you know, kind of respond in the second half after being on a layoff a little bit. Seemed to do it a little bit. But then I thought he got a little tired again, uh in the fourth, but again probably to be expected. I thought he played with some pretty good competitive spirit, you know, for what he could do out there. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, on Joel and Paul, both of them, we're not we're not sure at this time. They're gonna check him out here. They're they're gonna check him out in the morning, just to see where they're at. And we'll try to update you as soon as we can on that.
Speaker 5: Obviously the best game for you guys.
Speaker 3: Just what did you see his performance tonight that maybe unlocked for him a little better?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he did a good job. I thought our guys did a good job of freeing him up some for some looks, you know, some of the similar looks he's been getting off some of the similar sets and and you know, obviously made him tonight. That always helps, and I think he got a burst of energy from that. He kind of got going early, was able to continue to look. He made one or two really tough ones, right, But other than that, I think he did a good job at creating He either he did or we did some space for him to get some good looks. But yeah, I thought he looked really confident in my scorer in the ball tonight, h M.
Speaker 5: With his ability to get into the game's mind.
Speaker 6: Yeah, kN the same thing he's been showing us, right, I mean, he's he just continues to be a real, real bright spot threat from three, which we obviously need offense creation on his own, which we obviously need, and he you know, he competes, and he competes. He's not afraid out there, and he's he's been playing really well, really really big. Bright Spot.
Speaker 1: Guys were kind.
Speaker 3: Of like you guys are kind of right there in the fourth and then they went on that run and that was that was kind of you.
Speaker 5: Know what kind of went wrong?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, listen, I gotta I gotta go back and look, I just I do remember a kind of a wide open McCain eight footer and a wide open fourteen footer from and then a wide open three from you.
Speaker 5: We didn't make any.
Speaker 6: Of them, right that that was. That doesn't that doesn't help. I mean, we created really good shots and and uh gave up a little bit in transition. I thought we I thought we we we gave up some drives to the to the rim that we were we were kind of getting to in the first half and you know, get you know, getting him out of there, and we just we just weren't quite getting to the help on those or probably shouldn't have been up getting beat that high up on the floor, right, It should have been a little bit more containment but we were, you know, trying to play really hard, make a play, and we're getting beat at thirty feet and here comes the bruntson downhill and we just weren't. We just weren't quite getting there to the help as we we were in the first half. A little bit maybe a fatigue, to be honest, but just and also awareness that was probably it.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 5: Would all seem a little bit more comfortable.
Speaker 2: I guess using his body and moving more on defense than he did on offense.
Speaker 1: I guess what he attribute that too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he did a pretty good job out there. You know, we we did change some coverages. I mean, Kat dotted us for two early threes on the picking pops and kind of said, let's let's we don't want to watch. We don't want to watch that much anymore. So we started changing some coverages. Was put Joel on some into some switching or kind of blitzing situations to try to try to shape that covering jump a little bit. But yeah, he jumped out there like like he was gonna guard and moved moved pretty well. Yeah, what do you anticipate he'll get back quickest once he starts playing more regularly well, yeah, oh, I just think just I mean, you know, when he's when he's when he's playing, well, he's kind of got command of the game at the offensive end, right, He's either he's either creating good shots for himself or creating a lot of defensive schemes against him, which is creating much easier shots for our guys.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: I think that's part of rhythm, that's part of conditioning, all that kind of stuff. You know, he's a great shooter that that that'll come back too.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like tonight you guys had some struggles passing the ball, whether it was throwing a crosscord pass that got picked off or missing a few open looks inside. Just did you notice that, and like, what would you attribute to some rough passing?
Speaker 6: Well, I think, you know, it's a little bit of a theme. I don't think we've passed it great this year. We're certainly much at this point. We've been a lot more high turnover than we were a year ago. Right, But again, there's a lot of new guys out there, and you know a lot of times you have the ball on Tyres Joel's hands and they're you know, they're gonna they're gonna command it and take care of it. We've got a lot of different guys trying to handle the ball and make plays and and but I hear you, it would be nice if we would get a little bit more on target, right, and again, give Nixon, give the Knicks some credit to I mean, they they chase your heart and they got length. You know, they got some length, and they're they're they're tipping some of those because of their good defense.
Speaker 1: Get back in one of how much how much more confidently about things starting.
Speaker 5: To go back your way.
Speaker 2: Eventually and starting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I feel pretty good about it. I mean I think there was Again it's it's certainly not not fun to lose that game. But I thought there was some really great segments today both ends of the floor, right, And I think again, we need we need some more connectivity, and we're not gonna get that till we get some minutes together out there, right, But I think there was certainly some flashes of really good play it at both ends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you get.
Speaker 3: A feel for how your pieces, your complimentary pieces are kind.
Speaker 2: Of I'm getting there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm getting there. I think we're still I think we're still, you know looking at it. I mean one of the I told the TNT people before the game, one of the good things is we are getting a really good look at some of these other guys. We're getting an in depth, a lot of minute heavy minute look, and that can only be good as we figure out how to piece it together.
Speaker 3: Sixers coach Nick Nurse on the Parks Casino post game show after a one eleven ninety nine loss to the Knicks in the NBA Cup. It was a seventy six Ers Cup night here in Philadelphia, presented by Chick File elsewhere around the league. We talked about how Orlando in the group. We'll get to the highlights here in a second. As this one played out. The Orlando win was one fourteen eighty nine over Charlotte. But there were some crazy games in the NBA. Atlanta upset Boston one seventeen one sixteen, and that Miami Detroit game we were talking about. Not only did Detroit tye it with a second left on an Ali yup to local guy Jalen Duran, but then at tied at one twenty one, Miami tried to call a time out. Didn't have any technical foul as what won Detroit that game in overtime. In they're in a different group in the East. But the Knicks get the Sixers here tonight in Philadelphia. Nick Nurse's postgame comments there Talk credited the Knicks tonight obviously, and og Annobi led them with twenty four. This new Knicks starting lineup that features Michal Bridges Karl Anthony Towns. It was Ananobe with twenty four, Towns with twenty one, Brunson with eighteen, fourteen of which were after halftime, and then fourteen on the number for Josh Hart and McHale Bridges. So Miles McBride added fifteen off the bench the top six for the New York Knicks. But let's hear how this game sounded, as called by Tom McGinnis, the Sixers and the Knicks in South Philly, the blue court down for the NBA Cup. Doctor j was in the house, Alan Iverson was in the house, among others, and you actually heard coach Nick Nurse talk about Carl Anthony Towns dot it dotting them for a couple of early threes.
Speaker 2: Here's the second hard to Towns. Towns will try another three, and that too is on the money.
Speaker 3: The Sixers scored the first basket with Paul George, who had eleven in the first quarter. He ends up as the game high scorer in this one, and he was really shooting the ball well from beyond the arc like he did here.
Speaker 2: Paul George from the top for three and that's good five in a row.
Speaker 3: Paul George and seven for eleven from three in this game. A career thirty eight percent three point shooter, but he's coming off a career high season from beyond the ark forty one point three percent for George from three last season with the Clippers. Twenty nine points, ten rebounds for him with the three steals, ten of nineteen shooting overall with the seven for eleven from three point range, this was a twenty seven to twenty five game after one, despite the Knicks going up by nine points at one point in the first quarter. They would do that multiple times in the first half, including the second, but the Sixers kept in it late first half. It was Josh Hart who always seems to have the Sixers number deep on the left wing, not a three, but he beats the buzzer either way.
Speaker 2: Brunson inbounding, Brunson looking all the way out top Heart catches triples on lowry step back loom two. It's good he made it and that's gonna cow. His feet were straddling the three point arc and josh Hart with it contested two.
Speaker 3: On a night that Villanova loses to Saint Joe's, the Villanova Nicks minus Dante DiVincenzo, now get a triple double from Josh Hart fourteen points, twelve rebounds, and a game high ten assist. It's the seventh triple double of his career. The first six were all last season. One was against the Sixers, So it's the second triple double for Josh Hart against Philadelphia in his career and the Knicks. We're up fifty four p fifty at halftime in what was Joel Embiid's season.
Speaker 5: Debut for the Sixers.
Speaker 3: He had eight points in the first half in thirteen minutes and twenty seconds, but they were all from the free throw line. He missed his first three shots, including a three, in that first half of play. So we head into the third quarter, where the Sixers kept this thing close throughout, and by the end of the quarter Joel pumping up the crowd. But how did he get on the board with his first basket of his season.
Speaker 5: It was beyond the arc straight away.
Speaker 2: Here's it beat for three from out top, and that's good. His first basket of the season. He turns to this palms upturned to the sky as if to say, finally, it beat for three.
Speaker 3: Sixty one sixty Knicks. After the mb three, he went one for five from three, two for eleven from the floor in twenty six minutes and twenty five seconds, all eight of his free throws made and attempted before halftime. Thirteen points, five assists in his first game back. Nick Nurse said that both he and Paul George will be evaluated before the Cleveland game on whether or not they play on the second night of this home back to back. Earlier in the half, Brunson went down holding his ankle. He would come back. That was the first play of the second half. But he would come back. After four first half points, he ends with eight teen in the game. He came back into this second half. The Knicks went on a seven to zero run after the EMBIID three, but then Paul George helped them get back in it. Jared McCain helped them get back in it, and it was McCain into the lane, plus the foul.
Speaker 2: Joel with the ball, they double team of he throws it out top to McCain. What in twenty five Jared doubled Ain't Jared with a lay and puff remain good Jared McCain right out.
Speaker 5: Broad Street and a foul.
Speaker 3: Jared McCain scored sixteen of his twenty three points in the second half tonight against New York. After that, it was Joel Embiid that made it seventy six to seventy three, and in a one possession game. McCain then lobbed it down to Joel Embiid for a right side layup, and on the way back down floor, m Embiid was pumping up the crowd here at the center. But the Knicks still led seventy eight seventy five heading into the fourth quarter, and then they went on a nine to zero run to begin the fourth quarter and force a Nick Nurse time out. Brunson was a part of the fourth quarter flurring.
Speaker 2: Here's Brunson on a dribble drive into the lane, left hand lamp upping good six just thought they had him stop and Jalen Brunson right at the Rims scoops it in with the underhand score. He's got four field goals and thirteen tries.
Speaker 3: McBride was a part of it early in the fourth quarter, brunts in a little later there to make it ninety four eighty three New York and eleven point lead, and then possibly the Dagger, who else but Josh Hart who held his follow through after this three.
Speaker 2: Fridges with it, Bridges stops, all fellas floater rounding out no towns over the rebound Here the baseline Bulls is paying way back hen wrap round to heart three by Josh Hart got it Haunt shot by.
Speaker 3: Heart ninety seven eighty three that made it a fourteen point game, and the final score was the Knicks one eleven the Sixers ninety nine. In Joel em Beid's return to the lineup, Tonight's NBA Cup action goes the way of the Knicks in East Group A, but the Sixers will be back at it with another regular season game tomorrow here against Cleveland.