Speaker 1: It is Friday, March fourteenth, twenty twenty five. This is another edition of Football Today. You know my dudes, Bobby Skinner, Justin Pennock, I am Chris Rose. Producer Connor is here as well. Pennick. I'm gonna start with you. We had an episode earlier this week, and then later on the day I'm just kind of shuffling through social media and I see Bobby Skinner wish you a happy birthday. How in the world girus know that it was your birthday when we were recording that day.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a humble man, Chris Rose, so I didn't want to hop on and be like, ooh, it's good birthday. No, but I had a good day, and hey, this is a crazy week. I've accepted for the rest of my life that the new league year is gonna always kind of begin around my birthday and we're gonna have to deal with like this is a grind week, this is a work week. But I had a good day. I requested a thin chicken cutlets and mashed potatoes for dinner and I got it. And I'm my football team got better. But we're still waiting on a quarterback, which we're going to talk about Bobby.
Speaker 1: So you you gave him a salute on social media? Did you know when we were taping the show that it was his birthday?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The issue is that we were recording at like midnight the night before on Talking Giants.
Speaker 2: And then you did like a film breakdown and.
Speaker 3: I wished him a happy birthday on that. So it wasn't on the top of my head, but your fog brain and justin so humble you know how you know he's humble? He'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Usually the most humble people have to tell you that they're really humble and they work hard.
Speaker 1: That's that's the door. Well belated, what is his twenty seven? WHOA?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good, really good guess.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, that's pretty good. I too Remember when I was twenty Do you want to know where I was?
Speaker 3: When were you?
Speaker 2: I was about to ask what were you doing?
Speaker 1: I was a I had just gotten married a year before and was working at CNN Sports Illustrated in Atlanta. He now defunct CNN Sports Illustrated, but it became the twenty four hour news network of CNN. I was one of five new anchors brought in there. So, yeah, it was a kid. It was fun. It was fun. I was around some legends of this industry. That's for another time, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Me too. I was starting the Giants Nation podcast with Danny King at twenty seven and now he works for TMZ.
Speaker 1: So how about that at a way, that's good. How old are you, Bobby thirty three? Thirty years six years ago? Okay, okay, got it, got it all right. Let's we will get to the quarterback news, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, all sorts of stuff in just a bit. But we're gonna start with the Dallas Cowboys, who we haven't really talked a lot about this offseason, but things got very interesting because of a now former Dallas Cowboy, Tank Lawrence ended up taking a three year deal, I believe with the Seattle Seahawks, and then he gave out this interview.
Speaker 3: You know, Dallas is my home. I made my home there. You know, my family lives there. You know I'm ever going to be there, but you know, I know for sure I'm not gonna win a Super Bowl there. So yeah, we're here, DeMarcus Lawrence. Welcome to the Seahawks.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us. So it got a little spicy there at the end, and you know who noticed, none other than Micah Parsons, who then went on social media and he said, that's what rejection and envy look like. This is some clown shit. Well, DeMarcus Lawrence saw that tweet and then he responded by saying, calling me a clown won't change the fact that I told the truth. Maybe if you spent less time tweeting and more time winning, I wouldn't have left.
Speaker 3: My favorite response to that was like, more time winning you were on the same team, dumbass. That was my favorite response to it. But uh, I kind of like Micah Parsons like kind of taking a jab at him, right, I'd like, let's bring back some hate and you know anger and football. All the players are buddy buddy now doing jersey swaps. I kind of like it a little bit. DeMarcus Lawrence takes a shot, Michael Parsons takes a shot back, and now we got a real robbery riaging Dallas and Seattle.
Speaker 2: Marcus Lawrence isn't wrong, though, and I think a lot of Dallas fans probably not, but I think a lot of Dallas fans honestly feel the same way. I haven't seen a fan base that growing up was so kind of like, you know, blinded by all you know, weed and boys, we're gonna win it this year. I think they said it for so long that now they're finally getting tired of it that I think this fan base is just stuck in purgatory of you know what, we got stars were Okay, we're decent, but we know when it all comes down to it, that we're not going to get it done. And if anything, I think this team is getting worse and is really solely carried by its stars. Were you know, a couple of years ago and hey, producer Connor and I we were even talking about that twenty fourteen Dallas teams and you know those teams of Dallas and the two twenty teens, like those were complete football teams with superstars. Now I think the Dallas Cowboy roster is a bad roster with stars that's going to carry them. So I don't think DeMarcus Lawrence is wrong, and I don't think a lot of Cowboy fans will actually disagree with them.
Speaker 1: I think it all depends on who the Giants get. A quarterback that Dallas could be staring at a fourth place season. They could end up last in that NFC East, and it wouldn't totally shock me. You know, I went through and come some of the local rags and stuff like that, and some people feel like, well, they've made some decent additions with Kenneth Murray and Jack Sanborn at linebacker. I don't think those are great, great additions at all. Javonte Williams they got on a you know, a one year deal for no money and they hope that he'll hit a home run while he's gotten over eight hundred yards one time in his career and has never had more than four touchdowns in a single season. So I mean, can they add in the draft. They absolutely can't. Not only can they, they need they have to. And that's the thing is that, you know, if you're not going to go out and spend money in free agency, and I'm not full bore on doing it all the time, but the numbers over the last few years say that the team that does spend the most money in free agency will improve their win total by at least three games. That's happened over the last five or six years. The Cowboys have elected pretty much to sit it out. Whether it's because they don't have the cap space or they just don't aren't interested in building a roster that way. If you want to do that, you damn well better hit on the draft. And they haven't done it well enough. And the only reason we talk about the Dallas Cowboys is because they're the Dallas Cowboys, not because they're a significant part of the NFL puzzle.
Speaker 3: Bobby, I disagree with that last part. I mean, they've been really they've been really good and relevant. Last year, Dak got injured and then you know that that was that. You know, they end up winning what seven games last year? So like, I don't think it depends on what the like. If Dak Prescott's healthy for a full year and Ceedee Lamb is healthy for a full year, they're a team that's winning more games than they lose. And I think that's the reality.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: The question with them is they do fall short in the playoffs. But the reason we judge them is not because all they just fall short in the playoffs, not because they're the Pittsburgh Steelers, but because they should be winning in the playoffs. They've had the talent to win the playoffs. Now they are entering a time where I think that roster is about as weak as its been in a long long time. So I think they are entering that era Chris Rose. But I don't think they've been that in that since they've had Deck Prescott as their quarterback.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair, Maybe I'll take that back a little bit. But they also have the longest drought of appearing in an NFC title game. It had been Washington until this past season. We know that there's at least two teams better than them in their division. Right we all feel like Washington that that wasn't just a one year while it all came together.
Speaker 3: I think they could be a similar level of team next year, right, Like Washington comes down to earth a little bit. But Jaden Daniels, I think is amazing. But they Washington. I love the way they've built the team. They still do have a lot of holes and that team.
Speaker 1: But I don't think that they're worse than Dallas Cowboys to.
Speaker 3: Me either, But I'm saying I don't think they're like levels apart of just like talent on their offter.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, so is it just it's only going to get better when Jerry Jones isn't in the picture. I mean, is this what it's come down to with the Dallas Cowboys or is there a way to solve this panic?
Speaker 2: No, I think And again, you know, I have some friends that are Cowboy fans, So that's how I like to stay connected. You know, you get the pulse of the fan base, right And I think they feel like Stephen Jones is going to keep things kind of status quo, and they're I think philosophically Stephen Jones is kind of running things in Dallas along with Jerry. But I think the decisions in free agency to how to attack things philosophically that I still think is is Stephen Jones. Now, I think they draft very well. That's not a that's not a question. But for again, for a team that should be all in, for a team that it's called America's team, you know, a team that honestly like gets comparisons to like the New York Yankees, that there's similar shared fan bases there, Like you know, at least the Yankees go out and they spend money and they try, and Jerry Jones talks a big game like he wants to go out there and spend and try, and he does spend on his own dudes. But also it goes against him because he waits until the last minute to pay these players, and that's why they have to get paid more and more money, and and they reset all these markets. Because you should be extending Michael Parsons right now. You should be You should have extended Ceede Lamb two years ago. The Dak Prescott deal should have been done two years ago. So talk a big game, but I feel like they just really don't back it up.
Speaker 3: And that's where they get in trouble is because they don't. They don't stay ahead of the game with like again, it's if we're talking about some middle of the road player and extending them and you don't get it done right away. It's understandable with Micah Parsons, with Ceedee Lamb. If you knew you were going to keep Dak not doing all this stuff early, all it does is hurt you. And now it hurts them in free agency where they feel like they can't go make a couple of nice moves right No one's know what, Like you said, Rosen, anyone's expecting them to go all in on free agency and spend the most money. But you can do a couple of things per year instead of just averaging bad players, which is what they've what they've done over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Where did Dallas Cowboys finish this year? I know the rosters aren't complete. We still have the draft coming up in about five weeks. Where do you guys feel about this team?
Speaker 3: If Dak stays healthy, I think they'll be the six or seven seed in the NFC.
Speaker 1: Well you think they're going to be that good?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean anytime Dak has been healthy, they've been a playoff team.
Speaker 2: I think they get six wins is the floor, and I think nine wins is the ceiling which that could get that could get into No. Nine wins can get into the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So I don't think that they're better than the two teams that finished ahead them in the NFC East last year. There's gonna be a team from the South. I don't know if there will be a second there's you know, I think the Niners, whom will discuss in a bit, are kind of a little bit of the wild card, if you will. And then we got you know, who knows what Chicago's going to be in that NFC North. But they've got some monsters in that division, right, all four teams, Yeah, all four teams. You could make you could make us a case for I think I don't know. I think Dallas is yeah, seven eight nine, depending on how the draft shakes out and what sort of participation everybody gets from a rookie class. But they're just they just feel like another team and they I do feel like we're gonna be talking a lot about them this year just because they got a star on the side of their helmet, and that is a bad place to be that they're just talking about you because people feel like the brand needs to be talked about.
Speaker 3: They probably are just another team, but I think just being another team in the NFC when you have Dak Prescotch or QB gets in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their stars are really good.
Speaker 3: Let's go. I mean, Commanders, Eagles playoffs. Lions, Vikings are you know, not locks, but we feel good that they'll be. Actually, you know what, Vikings aren't even a lock. We don't even know who they're gonna be playing a quarterback. Lions are a lock. Let's just say two from the NFC North are a lock between Vikings and Packers. Four one from the NSC South. Five one from the NFC West six, the Cowboys. I can see very easily being that seventeen. And then some quarterback gets injured, like Dallas's quarterback got injured and falls out, like it's just the way it goes.
Speaker 1: So I've had you are a very optimistic optimized.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like that's if you have Dak Prescott and Ceedee Lamb and Michael Parsons. I feel like that's that's a low bar to reach.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get to the quarterback situation. Russell Wilson was in Cleveland on Thursday. He's in New Jersey with the Giants on Friday. Everybody, it seems like he's waiting on Aaron Rodgers, who might still be roaming the beach in Malibu, although I doubt it because the weather's been so poor. So if so, that blanket over his head is probably be very damp. At this point, you know, he hasn't had any huge contact. It sounds like with a lot of these teams that have availabilities, whether that is indeed the Giants or the Steelers, or we keep hearing rumblings about the Minnesota Vikings. What aspect of this are you most interested in? Bobby Skinner with Rogers.
Speaker 3: I'm more interested in the domino effect as long as if he goes to Minnesota, then I actually think Minnesota is a legit contender. But I don't think that's happening. I mean, I think we're all assuming he goes to Pittsburgh, but we also don't know what he's thinking. It's just the domino effect. Does that lead to Russell Wilson to the Giants? Do do the Giants get ahead of this and realize they're not getting Aaron Rodgers and signed Russell Wilson, you know, late later today when this episode is out, where does Joe Flacco? And like, I think it's more so the domino effect of once he's signed with most likely the Steelers, and what happens, but it will be again him with the Steelers I think is pretty like that may not go really well, right Like George Pickens and Aaron Rodgers, I do not think is a great match. DK Metcalf's a really good wide receiver, but we don't we don't view him as like the change your team type of wide receiver. One. You know, he's worse than Garrett Wilson, who was with the Jets, last year, and hell, he's worse than DeVonta Adams I think at this point as well too, but probably similar tier. But DeVonta Adams fits what Rogers wants better. And then you know they're asking a lot of young offensive linemen to, you know, to grow up real quick. Like, I don't think it's this great situation in Pittsburgh. I think he's just stability with Mike Tomlin in that defense.
Speaker 2: Rose, what's your take on the timing of this, because, uh, you know, as as a fan that possibly wanted Aaron Rodgers to join my team, and it's the reality's kind of set in that that probably won't happen. Like I do think he's going to go to Pittsburgh or he's just waiting for Minnesota to to accept him. I thought that maybe, you know, hey, after the disastrous two years that was, and maybe he would look at himself in the mirror and be like, you know what, making things about me was maybe part of the reason why the last two years have been disastrous, So maybe I'll be a little bit more quiet and do things a little bit more conventional. Shame on me for thinking that that may happen. I mean, he's been allowed to talk to teams for I think basically the last two weeks. It wasn't just the beginning of the new league year or you know, the beginning of the tampering period. The Jets gave him permission to talk to teams last two weeks. So what is your take on the timing of this, Because even guys like Rapaport and Schefter scene really bothered by it.
Speaker 1: I'm not bothered by it. He can make whatever he's earned that whatever decision he wants to make. This is it's almost a little bit like parenting, where the organizations take on the role of being parents and you have to set ultimatum. Sometimes I would say, hey, Aaron, we would love to have you here. We think you are a difference maker. We think you can set this building the right direction, or if you're the Steeler who don't need to be sent in the right direction, but rather we think you are the missing piece to us getting back in the playoff win column and then we'll all go on this amazing journey together. But I would say, hey, we understand that maybe you're not ready to make a decision, but we have to be ready, and I hope you respect that and if you're not ready, that's okay, but we just have to move on like that. You have to do that. Could you imagine if Aaron Rodgers three weeks from today decides that he doesn't want to play football anymore and this and Russell Wilson has signed elsewhere, Well, what's the Steelers option? What do the Steelers do? Where? Literally, where would they turn?
Speaker 2: I don't think they have a quarterback on the rush right now? They just oh, congratulations, is.
Speaker 1: Duck Hodges around still? I mean, but that's my point. Literally this you can't not I mean, I suppose you could try and figure out how to get Kirk Cousins to town. I mean you might have to trade up to go get it.
Speaker 3: I know. No, I just don't get it out there right.
Speaker 1: But do you understand what I'm saying is that these teams have to take a stance at some point, and if they're going to play the waiting game, that it's not even the perfect situation. If he does walk through your doors, you have to be honest with yourself if you're the Steelers, like the cell job to Rogers is we think you're the missing piece behind closed doors. You might look at the film and say, eh, we're probably in the same position we were last year, you know with Russell Wilson.
Speaker 3: And this is a key part of this too, because with Rogers you get a lot of baggage. And this is where you know, we'd sat on talking Giants this morning, it's like, damn it, we got the fell for it again award where we're like, you know, you think as a reasonable person, right, like, oh lot, how the Jets went is probably a little bit of a humbling experience for Aaron Rodgers, right, and it may change his approach on his you know, as he turns forty one years old and he's on a new team or something like that, it's like nope, no, but it hasn't right. Why did you fall for it again? Why would you think that Aaron Rodgers has has changed in that? And part of bringing him in for this this era, if you're the Steelers of the Giants, is not giving him control over what he wants uh with with stuff like it's he's got to kind of buy into what you're doing. And I don't think that you're getting that, so to be desperate for that, and like you said, Rose where I don't think he played great ball last year. I know, the touchdown the interception ratio is nice, but there's some you know, there is some bad ball on film last year for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: If I were like you said, Rose, if I were one of these seas, They're like, allright, like, we need the decision by the end of the day. Right. If you don't want to pick us and that turns you off from us, fine, but we need to We need to have a quarterback for next year, and we can't afford to have guys walk elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to ask this number one, if Aaron Rodgers goes to Pittsburgh, how much of an upgrade is that over the quarterback play they had last year.
Speaker 3: I think it's a pretty decent upgrade. And then when you when you consider the fact that DK metcalf is there as well too. We'll see how they add. You know that they can add a nice you know, slot receiver to go with them. Pick the Pickens thing is gonna it's gonna be really interesting to see how that relationship would go. But none. Nonetheless, he's really talented and Rogers can get him the ball.
Speaker 1: Okay, if if Rogers elects to go elsewhere, or wants to retire. What should the Steelers do, Pennic, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Cousins, the pivot would have to be no working something at what else.
Speaker 3: That means flat though, I think Mason Rudolph would be a better option than Kirk Cousins at this point. What did you see Kirk Cousins at the end of the day last year?
Speaker 1: I did, I did, And he claims that he was injured even though he was not on the injury report.
Speaker 3: Sure, but that's a that's a big chance to take that. I mean, that's that's flashbacks of Matt Ryan with the Colts, like, oh, he's not washed, you know, and as he gets to Indianapolis, and he is one hundred percent washed, Like, I'm not taking that chance for Kirk Cousins as And again, I guess you could bring in Kirk Cousins and you still have Mason Rudolph on the team. But yeah, there's no good answers. I think this is one of the partest things about talking about NFL and stuff is sometimes sometimes it's hard to admit that there's not a great answer at the quarterback spot. Right well, you know, we're going through this right now for the Giants. I don't believe Shordas Sanders is worth a third overall pick. And it's like, okay, what do you do? How do you get a quarterback next? Like, I don't know, I don't I cannot tell you. I don't have this perfect plan. You have to get lucky at the quarterback spot.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you do because there's not thirty two dudes walking the earth that can do this. That is amazing that out of the three hundred and thirty gazillion people there are on this planet, that there aren't thirty two who can do this at an amazing rate. And I suppose the question is how did the Steelers get to this point? Is it strictly because they put all of their financials on the defensive side of the football, and that they didn't draft a quarterback the last few years of Ben's tenure. I'd have to go back and look and see which quarterbacks were available. I mean, I hate doing the revisionist history that, well, look at the number of teams that passed on this guy, and they like that that sorts out. We're talking about realistically, Like remember, the.
Speaker 3: Only one I could think of is Jordan Love.
Speaker 2: Or even like well, you know, they even passed up well Jordan loved that was a couple of years ago. But even like Will Levis, but you're not gonna you're you're not losing sleepover passing on him. They've they win too many games. They haven't had one year like at least the Colts. The Colts had that one year where they sucked and they took Anthony Rigson, you know, and you know that hasn't really worked out for them, but at least they took somebody that that they want to believe in and the But the Steelers haven't had that opportunity. And the only year that they had an opportunity to do so was when Kenny Pickett was the first quarterback taken in a draft.
Speaker 1: Well, let's be honest, how many teams I can only think of the Kansas City Chiefs that have taken a huge, huge swing. Who traded up from twenty seven where they were a playoff team all the way to ten to go get Patrick Mahomes. Right, they could have continued on with Alex Smith as their guy moving forward, they went for the big probably the biggest move that I can remember ever in terms of going after a quarterback and going to get him. You know how hard it is to move up seventeen spots. That is not an easy thing to do, particularly when you already are a playoff team and you're like, wait a second, we're going for some guy who runs this crazy offense and doesn't even have a winning record in college. But man, they had the foresight, like the Steelers never had that, and they weren't willing to do it because they didn't want to ruffle the feathers of Ben Roethlisberger. They've been too afraid to say anything. How crazy is it that this big, bad organization known as the Pittsburgh Steelers have handled the quarterback solution quiz this poorly?
Speaker 3: Yeah again, like you said, I don't think there's been an aggressive move up like the Mahomes saying. The only thing I think it was Wentz to the Eagles trading off for Carson Wentz. I think they traded up from like sixteen or seventeen to two. Yeah, they went middle of the first round, you know, the RG three trade. Like I'm trying to think of, there hasn't been that again. So that's why, as much as it's got to be so fair, Hey, I'm living in it. Right now. It's frustrating, right, it's like, all right, but what are the offer? At least with the Giants. We can go back and look at twenty twenty. It's like, yeah, Justin Herbert was looking us right in the face. Could have could have just quit on Daniel Jones after his rookie year and did that. You know, I know people will lose used last year. I'm not going to do that. Like, it's just it's unfortunately. You have to get somewhat lucky, right, Like the Cincinnati Bengals are lucky that with Andy Dalton, their their worst year was the year Joe Burrow came out right, Like they were paying Andy Dalton, right, the Chargers were paying Philip Rivers when they got Justin Herbert. Lamar Jackson. I guess Lamar Jackson is the other answer, Rose, But Big Ben was still playing Riddy damn good ball at that at that point, and they were the Steelers were a really good team, So I guess Lamar Jackson would be the other answer. But it's just it's hard, it's really hard. Like it's it's not it's you have to get lucky. And you know, the Giants. If the Giants won three games last year, they would have had, you know, either Drake may or Jaden Daniels. They win three games this year and they're picking third.
Speaker 1: I hear you, and I think about it all the time. One last quarterback point. I think it's an important one. You were basically screaming at the Vikings. Hey, JJ McCarthy, you traded up for him, this is your guy, goes start him. I've had a couple of days to sit here and think about it. Is it really fair, particularly with what they have now done in free agency and adding some veteran good, good players along the defensive line and you know, offensive line as well, Like they feel like a pretty complete team to give it over to a very young quarterback who we don't know if he can play at this level. Is it irresponsible to not at least really strongly consider bringing Aaron Rodgers in the building.
Speaker 3: Then my question is why did you trade up for JJ McCarthy, Because I don't think you had that much faith in him.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think that these are separate issues. To me, they really are, because I don't think they expected to be as good as they were last year with Sam Darnold, and they were. They were, They were this close to be in the one seed in the NFC, right right, they lose that Sunday night football game at Detroit or else, they would have been the one seed. So this team feels pretty complete, doesn't it. Panic Why in the world would you turn the keys over to a kid that's twenty two and look like you it was three pounds the last time we saw him.
Speaker 2: Well, and again, I because you traded up for him, which I took him in the first rounds.
Speaker 3: That's why that's taking a lot of conviction to do.
Speaker 2: Because you have conviction because you had conviction to take him in the in the first place. And you know you bringing Aaron Rodgers and probably Aaron Rodgers isn't I'm not going to play bad enough where he is going to be benched on the Minnesota Vikings. So then you're talking about, well, when when do you actually turn to JJ McCarthy, which I guess, hey, year three. It's not it's not unheard of to, you know, in today's NFL, to now give the reins over to a quarterback in year three and then hey, he'll still be I think, like twenty three years old. And it's not like we're talking about a guy that's twenty five, twenty six, so it's not unheard of, but it's if you had such a belief that they even had that second first round pick that they wound up taking Dallas Turner with they had that as ammo because they were even willing to move up further if they felt like they needed to do that to get JJ McCarthy. That's at least my running theory, and I think a lot of people would agree with that. So if you have that conviction to even trade up twice for him, then maybe there gets to a point where maybe you should play them. But if they're having conversations in the building about, hey, we don't trust this kid to play, then Rogers would make sense.
Speaker 1: Do you think do you think that they're a super Bowl contender if they sign Aaron Rodgers right now? Bobby?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean that team is that team is so good? Then why wouldn't you do it? You can't just say because if you if you spot okay, But here's it. And again I'm not saying they shouldn't do it because I don't. I if I if I took over the GM job right now, I think I'd be in on Aaron Rodgers for them, But if they to trade up in the first round for a quarterback, it takes a lot of conviction. So if you have that conviction, why don't you think that you're opening up a super Bowl window between in the next year to three years with that quarterback?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You drafted him to take you to the super Bowl, not to be an average quarterback. So but if even if he's an above average quarterback, like that system is sick. It's the easiest, it's it's the it's one of the easiest landing spots I've ever seen for a rookie quarterback. So if you believed in him, then he should make you super Bowl contender. Okay, because Aaron Rodgers is not what he once was either, but we think he's better than JJ McCarthy right now?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Shouldn't that be the question? Because you do have five years if you want to exercise a guy's option. The Packers didn't know what they had on Jordan Love until he started year four of his contract year four, So why not make JJ McCarthy wait one more year and then we'll deal with it from there. And if Aaron Rodgers doesn't take us to the promised land so be it. But this is an organization that hasn't been to the super Bowl since losing Super Bowl eleven. They've never won one of these things, So why wouldn't you.
Speaker 3: Don't you have because I don't think Aaron Rodgers is at the MVP level quarterback that he once was. Right but he we're not saying it's because Aaron Rodgers doesn't make the Steelers a super Bowl contender. He makes the Vikings, who you said like, we're so close because of how good that team is, take the next step. So why not show some faith in that young quarterback and put him in the easiest landing spot of all time and hope that you are developing for Super Bowl within the next three years with that roster and your quarterback on a cheap contract.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I just don't feel like I thought like there was a huge gap between Drake may who went third and JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 3: Who was I'm on the same page as you, But.
Speaker 1: So if that's the if that's the point, I still have faith more faith in forty one year old Aaron Rodgers that he could get the Vikings point in the right direction. In twenty twenty five. Then JJ McCarthy, whom I don't know what the NFL skill set looks like.
Speaker 3: Okay, but what if they drafted Michael Pennix and he had the three games that he had last year where it's like there's a lot of misthrows but some really good flashes in there. Are we having the same conversation or is it simply just because JJ McCarthy was injured?
Speaker 1: But that's where we are.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying, would Michael Penix's three games be enough to stop you from doing Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 1: No, because I don't think all.
Speaker 3: Right, then okay, now okay, then then no.
Speaker 1: I mean, I also don't think that the Falcons are anywhere close to what the Vikings are. So I'm really know.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying. If the Vikings drafted Michael Pennix.
Speaker 1: I get it. But all I'm saying is is that if the if Michael Pennix was in the same sit situation and with that team, yeah, I would want to go get somebody that I felt like I definitely knew what I had at quarterback or at least had a better grasp of it, even if he is for.
Speaker 2: Gain.
Speaker 3: If Matthew Stafford was available. Then I'm I'm I'm probably on the same page as you, Rose, but I just I don't think Rogers is the MVP form of himself.
Speaker 2: And we also we also just spent part of the show talking about how, you know, at least I thought, and you know, foolishly thought that Aaron Rodgers may humble himself a little bit after after after the last two years, and you know, maybe a minute, maybe that's part of Minnesota's decision making, is Okay, is this guy gonna come in here, Is this guy gonna come in here and be a saint simply because we have a really good head coach and a really good surrounding cast. Is like, I'm sure, maybe maybe that's part of their thought process as well.
Speaker 1: Maybe all right, let's move on. Some feel that after free age see that the San Francisco forty nine ers are no longer a true contender in the NFC. Bobby, are you one of those people? Long pause?
Speaker 3: Because they're not my favorite and they're not even my top three for favorite, and they again they lost hard Graves since the last time we had this conversation, rose to various wars goes to the Colts. I don't think they're out of the conversation.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: I'll say this, they're my NFC West pick next year, most likely.
Speaker 1: Over the Rams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why not. Again, it's basing a lot of on health, but the RAMS is based on a lot on health as well too. Puka's gotten hurt, Stafford's gotten hurt before and again I love the Rams, but the forty nine ers are still extremely talented, and they've drafted well, and they have young players who showed some promise, and they'll probably drafted well again this year. I know everything went to shit last year. And maybe this is all based on how healthy is Christian McCaffrey. Yes, and maybe I can leave in that, you know, antidotes like if Christian mccathy is healthy, then yes, if he's not then no. But they're still an extremely talented team. They have all pros all over the field.
Speaker 1: So I would say this for people that have kind of lost track. They lost Trevarius Ward, Floyd Collins, Hargrave, all from that front line, dra Greenlaw, Hufunga, who's obviously had his injury issues. Same with Greenlaw in recent years. Used check they're getting rid of as well. They did bring in Pinnick and Grant to kind of help in the secondary a little bit on the back end. DeMarcus Robinson I thought was, you know, he's been a touchdown machine for the Rams, so that gives him, Pierce All, Juwan Jennings, Robinson. They'll probably get some sort of receiver in this draft. So you mentioned about the importance of this draft. They've got eight picks in the first four rounds. They've got two in the third, two and the fourth to go along with a first and a second. Last year's draft class was really really good. I thought, Pierce All, we know what happened with him with the shooting, but then back half of the year when he got active, particularly the last third of the year, really played well. Pooney good on the offensive line. Mustafa is going to slide in for Ufonga. Isaac Garrendo, I thought, gave them some nice bursts and is a really speedy player. He's going to take on more of a a I think, a bigger role behind Christian McCaffrey this year. But the twenty twenty three draft outside of Jayor Brown, nothing. The twenty twenty two draft they got their quarterback, but that was it, so they really haven't gotten these depth pieces that you need. He's exodus like they have had right now. So I think it's really incumbent on some guys who maybe they didn't think would be there and have to help out to do something this year. And that's why I'm kind of they feel like an eight win team to me.
Speaker 2: Pennic, Yeah, I am a little bit lukewarm on the forty nine ers, but I'm I'm holding out a good amount of hope because if we really like this year's draft class, five picks inside the top one hundred and thirteen and I think they have a total of twelve rows. You might have already said that. Here are the top five teams and explosive pass plays last year, going from five to one. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Green Bay Packers at four, the Lions at three, the Vikings at two, and surprisingly enough, it is the San Francisco forty nine Ers at one. And I really do think that that pass offense, that passing offense is impacted when Christian McCaffrey went out, because I think he does add more than any other running back in the NFL. I think he adds the threat of receiving and I think Kyle Shanahan knows exactly how to use Christian McCaffrey in the receiving game. And I think the overall passing offense for the forty nine ers did suffer last year, but explosivity wise, they still produced a lot of explosive plays. And really, I still think this is a top ten offense because you have Kyle Shanahan. I think brock Party has taken steps up, even though he gets criticized. You know, I yok as good, Piercel's gonna helfully. You still have kittle offensive line is Kyle Shanahan knows how to scheme pass an offensive line that may have some deficiency issues. So I'm not worried about the offense. What I am worried about is this defense and a lack of defensive identity. Now I am so glad that Robert Sola is back because I think he's gonna bring an identity and I think he's, you know, one of the best defensive minds in football. But that talent there, like if you tour Gross Mantos is our number two edge across from Nick Bosa, I'm not loving that. Hopefully Drake Jackson gets healthy, stays healthy, takes some steps up. That's a player I like. But you just look up and down this front, and besides Nick Bosa, there's not really a name that you know, you want to go to him, like, yeah, that's that's like a dude. That's a guy that can really kind of take them places. So they need to get an identity that they had back in twenty twenty two when Nick Bosa won that Defensive Player of the Year, But there were other dudes on that defense that helped make that work. Offensively, they are going to be fine defensively. You got to get back to being close to top ten because if you're below average, the forty nine ers are just going.
Speaker 3: To be a middling team. How important is the addition of Robert Sola to that defense.
Speaker 2: It's huge. I think it's their biggest offseason uprade so far.
Speaker 3: Yep. And also I think those are names that they lost on the front. I don't think those names were necessarily living up to their names, you know, with Leonard Floyd and Javon Hargrave, not at all.
Speaker 1: No, And when you release guys in their thirties, I can live with that. It's like the Dray Green Laws of the world. Right, who's still I think twenty seven years old. And I understand it to the you know, the standpoint of the injury. But man, when you had and Fred Warner, I mean, that's that's as good a group in the middle as you can get. We'll see where they go. So green Law has a new home. It's Denver. I think we all are in agreement that we like what they have done so far in free agency with their offseason. Is it now enough to push Kansas City atop the AFC West panic you can start with this one.
Speaker 2: I think the talent is closer for sure. I mean the Broncos defense was better than the Chiefs last year. What what's going to really bridge the gap between Denver and Kansas City isn't necessarily the roster. It's honestly, like we got a way for Kansas City to stop winning so many freaking games, and like, is the pendulum eventually going to swing the other way where the Kansas City Chiefs start losing these one score games? And if that answer is yes, then hey, I think the Broncos, if they add more dynamic weapons, I think they need to add more speed. I for how good that offensive line is, I do think that passing game should be a little bit better, should take steps up. It really took a big step up in the second half of the year. I think their running game should be dynamic, and they need to add a little bit more of a dynamic runner. It's a very good running back draft, and I think that's where Sean pay It's going to look. I actually really love the addition of Evan Ingram adding speed at that tight end. Don't ask him to block.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to increase the run game, and then then now you're starting tight end well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I and that's and that's the worry of adding a guy like Evin Ingram is how how much is it going to impact that? And you know, you just signed a guy for a lot of money and you may only have him on the field for X amount of percentage of snaps. But for me, it's Kansas City needs to start losing games if we're going to start bridging this gap between between the two, because I think on paper they're getting there, but Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid are always going to take the Chiefs places.
Speaker 3: Also, the Chargers are in this conversation too. I mean, you know we're there, you know the Broncos. Damian finished second place in the division last year, so that defense I'm really excited for it. Defense is it's just hard to have the number one defense two years in a row. It's just for some reason, no matter what you keep together, it's just defenses seem to not have the same consistency that offense has because you don't have that one position like a quarterback that holds you afloat. I think the Chargers so I don't think they've bridged it. Hey, if bo Nicks is real deal and takes more steps forward than then yeah, absolutely. But I think this division is low key tough. Now that you add Geno Smith into the conversation with the Raiders, they can win on any given Sunday, where they really weren't in that conversation last year. That the Patrick Mahomes part of this just they're going to rise to the top from this division at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: I think Denver's right there. I really believe it. I will tip my cap to Sean Payton and the job he did with bo Nicks because I thought he was way better than I anticipated. I thought his ability to throw the ball down field when asked to superseded any of my thought process going into last year. You know, you guys ripped on Evan Ingram, and you know you guys see him as this twenty year old you draft out of Old miss And yes, he's not a run blocker, but the Broncos had major tight end deficiencies in the catch game, and few tight ends do a better job of converting third downs for first downs than Evan Ingram. Only the Giants and Cowboys had fewer red zone targets toward their tight end than the Denver Broncos last year, so that's going to change as well. So this is a This was a strategic move by them, and you know a lot of mock drafts had them getting Colston Lovelin with the twentieth pick this year, the tight end out of Michigan. This frees them up if somehow gent falls which I don't think he'll follow the way would, or if they feel like Overton is the right kid out of North Carolina, or if they want to trade back and get an extra pick or two. I mean like they're in good, good shape. I like what Day've done this offseason more than I have the Chargers, which is why I didn't throw them in the question here.
Speaker 2: I've liked their offseason better, better than the Chargers too. I mean the Chargers have had more volume, but like you know, some of them, like you know, I don't like some of the receivers they've brought in. I don't really I don't love Najie Harris. I thought they would bring in somebody a little bit more dynamic. But we'll see. There's there's still the draft left, and we're probably gonna love the Chargers shrift.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get out of here, there's still some big names out there. Uh in free agency? Who is the one guy that you're surprised is still available and make a case for him?
Speaker 3: Bobby Amari Cooper. I figured that there would be some contending team that would say, hey, he had a lot of drops in Cleveland. He got thrown in the Buffalo late in the mix, but I mean he was you know, we're one year off of him being off back to back, you know, really good seasons for the Browns. He's not like, he's not thirty two thirty three like the other you know, vet receivers that are available. I'm surprised that the Kansas City Chiefs or the Buffalo Bills bringing him back. Like, I'm just surprised a contending team hasn't brought in Amari Cooper and thrown some real money at him.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I obviously I watched him very closely the last few years. He only had twenty catches in eight games with Buffalo. Twenty catches, I mean, only thirty two targets. It's for a game for a guy who's been a highly decorated receiver.
Speaker 3: I agree, But usually when we were talking about like these types of wide receiver bets, they are thirty two, thirty three, and you know it's DeAndre. He's only thirty years old, you know, and he'll be thirty one for the season. I just feel like I'm surprised no team has thrown at him like a two year, twenty five million dollar contract. And maybe they have, and that's Amari Cooper's not taking that. But I just if you told me between you know, DeAndre Hopkins or Cooper Cup or whatever, I think Amari Cooper would be my pick. In fact, I'm surprised the Patriots have not made a play on him. Mostly they might be out on Cooper Cup. So Amari Cooper a little surprising to me.
Speaker 2: Panick Rose, I'm gonna say two players because I'm willing to bet an insignificant body part that you're not going to talk about the offensive line. So I'm gonna go with Cam Robinson and Tevin Jenkins. Where Cam Robinson for being an average tackle, and that's what he is, he is an average tackle. I think he is the best left tackle that was available on the market for free agency, and I think there are a lot of teams that could use a left tackle where even if you have to overpay him, I think Cam Robinson is okay. I don't think he's bad. I think he's okay. As long as you kind of know that you're getting that, you can improve your offensive line. And Tevin Jenkins too, who actually did like legit play well and is very young and kind of revitalized his career as the years have gone on with the Chicago Bears. I'm kind of shocked to see the money that Aaron Banks got because I think that Tevin Jenkins is a better player than Aaron Banks. I especially think as a pass blocker. Maybe Aaron Banks has got him edged as a rumblocker. Maybe maybe not so the fact that Tevin Jenkins is still unsigned. You know, maybe there's some injury questions, but other than that, I can't think of a reason why a young, young, good guard shouldn't be somewhere.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I thought, actually that Aaron Banks making the move to the NFC North. I thought that maybe Jenkins is going to San Francisco to take his place would have been a good move. Yeah, but you know, once again, they've got some sort of cap issue. Maybe they don't now, I don't know what we'll see. For me, I'm going to edge rusher Zadarius Smith can still play at age thirty three. He had nine sacks last year, split between Cleveland and Detroit. My guess is with a guy like ze that it's a money issue. It's always been. The contract has always been at the forefront of discussions with him, and good for him. He's made a lot of money and he's had a highly productive career. He's got sixty nine career sacks. But he could still do it at this age. And do you need him to play fifty as a game. No. But more and more we see teams coming in with packages and they say, well, maybe our four isn't significantly better than your front four defensive line wise, but our eight are awesome, and so he could be a big part of the next group that comes in for some team that wants to go get the passer. So I think that Zadarius Smith is gonna find a home. It'll just be curious for how much. It'll be a one year deal, but can he get ten twelve million dollars like Joey Bosa?
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll be honest with you, Joey Bosa might be a bigger name. I would put Zidarius Smith's pass rushing skills past Joey Bosa at this point of his career. Yep, that's what I would say. So there you go. All right, So next week maybe we'll have some sort Do we think that we'll have an answer on the quarterback situations? Yes? Or no?
Speaker 3: Anybody will be a big signing this weekend? You think so, Russell Wilson, it's going to happen the most convenient time for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, panic and me too, I hope not.
Speaker 2: Let's uh, let's reconvene Monday at a Monday at noon and then everybody, everybody can resume all talks. Have a great weekend. Everyone that sounds that's right.
Speaker 1: So for Bobby Skinner and Justin Pennock and producer Connor always does a bang up job on the show. I am Chris Rose. We will see you next week here on Football Today.
Speaker 3: Russell Wilson to the Giants, don't say that. Just kidding