Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. This is Rob Lamb. I'm going to reair an older episode of Weird House Cinema here today and it's one that we have rerun before. It is the Paul Nashy film Horror Rises from the Tomb, also starred Helga Linney. This is a wonderful nineteen seventy three Spanish horror film, and you know, I just had the opportunity to see it once more on the big screen at the Plaza Theater here in Atlanta. This was part of the Shane Morton Presents series. I'm to understand he's going to do more of these, showcasing a lot of international horror films over the months and months ahead. I think he said he's going to do like four of these a year. So if you're Atlanta based, check this out. If you're Atlanta based or just visiting the Atlanta area, be sure to check out the Plaza Theater historic theater here in Atlanta. They do so much great programming. I mean it's almost too much. Every week. I'm like, oh man, there's like two or three things I'd love to go to. And you know, generally I'm pushing it to try and make it out to one. But hey, there's nothing beat seeing a classic film on the big screen. And yeah, Horror Rises from the Tomb, in my opinion, is quite excellent. This is a lot of fun. So let's dive right into this older discussion, and I will add one more caveat. At the time, Joe and I had, I think largely just discovered Paul Nashi for ourselves, and at this point our esteem for Paul nash news works has risen quite a lot, risen from the Tomb even so, this is one that I've often thought about. It's like, man, I'd love to just do this episode again, so much more I'd like to say about Paul Nashi and this particular film. But anyway, this is the older episode. Still a lot of great content in here. We've covered other Paul nan she films since this episode came out, and I guarantee you we will do more Paul Nashy films in the future. All right, let's venture into the Tomb.
Speaker 2: Welcome to stuff to blow your mind. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: So I just finished rewatching it and made it to the end where there's a really good stunt fall I don't know if you caught that when the headless body of the Warlock rolls down the steps and it's it's obviously not a dummy, it's a stunt man. Oh yeah, headless suit. He's getting the legs going all of this, so we obviously can't see.
Speaker 1: I think the effects in this movie are better than they should have been in some regards, like I like the scenes where there's the lifting of the head. You know, I'm something of a well, I wouldn't say I'm a kind of sewer, but I put I pay a lot of attention whenever there's a beheading and there's head being handled in a film, because I'm always curious, like, how good is it going to look? How are they going to do it? Are they going to do the dummy head? Are they going to do like, you know, shooting an actual head the right way and making it look like it's detached. And they did a mix here that mostly worked pretty well. I've seen it look rougher in more expensive movies.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends what you mean by well. I do agree, though, I found I think literally every scene with the severed head hilarious.
Speaker 1: Well, it is inherent. Yeah, there's something inherently hilarious about it, too, especially given the seriousness with which it is approached.
Speaker 3: Did we already start the episode?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 3: Hello, are you listening?
Speaker 1: Oh hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: My name is Rod Lamb and I'm Joe McCormick.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We were just talking a little bit about beheadings and movies disembodied heads, the living head off the beheaded, because that's what we have in today's film, in nineteen seventy three's Horror Rises from the Tomb Rob.
Speaker 3: I feel like this is the third or fourth early seventies Spanish horror movie you have picked. What What's got you going down this road? How'd you end up in in seventies Spain?
Speaker 1: Oh, there's just something about this, this whole realm of horror filmmaking. There's just some really there's some great stuff here, and there's a lot of great stuff that I haven't seen. So it's exciting to me because the film we're talking about here to today, Horror Rises from the Tomb he is considered a classic of seventies Spanish horror, Like this is a this film is a big deal. So I had not seen it previously, so it was it was. It was one I was it was interested in. I was reading the synopsis and I was like, all right, as long as this one sort of stays within the parameters, this could be the film for this week. And lo and behold it was. So.
Speaker 3: I didn't know anything about this movie going in, but I was. I was certainly tempted when you when you shared with me, I think a user review you came across on some website that essentially made it seem like this may in fact have also been an ego trip for a particular writer slash actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are accounts of Paul Nashy, the star and writer here and in his his his ego. I have seen that written about, and yeah, this is I ran across this particular write up on Letterboxed letterboxed dot com. That's l E T T E R b o x D. That's a great website to go to if you want listings of films, lists of films, and hey, we are on there. We have an account under the user named weird House, and you can go there and see all the films that we've talked about in a nice visual display. And I also have links to the podcast episodes on there. But anyway, this particular review, Yeah, a user by the name of their name is spelled like lou l o u, but then it says rhymes with Wao, so I guess it's Loo Loo. Right. When Paul Nashi wrote this movie about medieval Paul Nashi getting decapitated because of alleged Satanist practices, he knew it was really about the executioners being jealous of medieval Paul Nashi's good looks slash him being irresistible to women everywhere. When it came time for Paul Nashi to write a hero into the story to save everyone and their wives from the clutches of medieval Paul Nashi, he conjured up dreaming present day hunk Paul Nashi. He knew that even if dreamy Paul Nashi wouldn't be able to defeat medieval Paul Nashi, he would at least be recognized as the hero Dreamy Paul Nashi really is.
Speaker 3: I'd say that's about right. So this movie was not directed by Paul Nashi, but written by Paul Nashi and starring Paul Nashi in at least three different roles.
Speaker 1: That's right now, I think that I would critique. This review is hilarious and I love it, but it's not one accurate in terms of what we get out of the Paul Nashi's and we'll get into that the different Paul nash characters. There's really one dreamy Paul Nashy character in this film, and he's pretty magical.
Speaker 3: So I was watching this movie on a streaming service that is supported by AD breaks, and I was deeply intrigued by the fact that the movie has major themes of a floating severed warlockhead dripping neck blood on things, including like a painting in the process of being painted, and so we'd have the head, it would dribble some neck blood, and then we would cut to commercial and the commercials are all for paper towels and other cleaning products. Is this a coincidence or has AD targeting got this good, like they can detect the contents of the film and adjust ads accordingly.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, you know, when stains are at their worst, such as from dripping heads, you need a quality paper towel.
Speaker 3: The other thing about the streaming service that I thought was funny was that it said this movie is rated TV fourteen despite it being absolutely wall to wall, severed heads, gratuitous nudity and dripping blood all over the place.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe that's like euro rating standards. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe, so, yeah, this is not a film for the children. Though I have read that there is a quote unquote clothed cut of this, so they might have shot some alternate scenes in which various characters are clothed instead of in various states of nudy, but it would be an entirely different film that way, so I'm not sure I can recommend that even if you can find that cut.
Speaker 3: Another thing I will say about my experience of watching the Horror Rises from the Tomb is that it had two features which may seem at odds with each other, but we're both simultaneously true. One is that the plot is extremely simple. There are not a lot of like twist and turns and machinations. And at the same time, at least half of the scenes in this movie, I had no idea what was going on. By that, I mean, I could not tell you who some at least some of the characters on screen were, how they arrived at, what they're doing, why they're doing it, or what it means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were a few scenes in this where I think I watched them three times and then consulted a plot summary to figure out exactly what the characters were attempting to do. Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've had really in the first half, had a hard time keeping the different characters and their relationships straight. I did not know who was who until until the Warlock magic really starts happening in the second half. Then I guess it gets easier to follow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, ultimately, this is a movie about the ultimate occult power couple coming back from the dead to just tear it up. And so once they're back and in action, you're one hundred percent on board. You can you basically know where things are going and you can follow the chaos, but you have to get up to that point, and it can be a little confusing but never boring getting right.
Speaker 3: It's like the Sonny and Share of Satanism rise from the Grave in order to get rid of on the what the descendants of the inquisitors who put them to the sword.
Speaker 1: Yes, but also I think they they just want to consume human hearts, drink blood, worship Satan and so forth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but in the parts where I had no idea what was going on. I think part of that is dialogue and dubbing, Like this movie did have that quality of I would literally be watching a scene with my full attention. I'm not on my phone, I'm not distracted, full attention. But then afterwards I could not summarize what anybody said in the scene. So there's a bit of that. But then another part I think that made it a little hard to follow is that the cinematography drifts more toward that dreamy style that you would see in like a full Chi movie, where I think often our brains are trained, we pick up on certain cues of how a scene looks and sounds, and like, ah, this feels more like a dream sequence. I don't need to pay close attention to the plot because it's you know, it's it's it's dreamy mode. Except this actually is just the phys reality of the narrative.
Speaker 1: The world of the living is a dream of the dead, which is probably not true, but that sounds like the logic you would hear in a seventies.
Speaker 3: Horror trailer, right, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think when it comes to this movie's very memorable, I think, but there is in terms of like remembering lines, The most memorable lines for me are some of the dumb things that the painter character Maurice says are occult power couple. Here, they have plenty of times where they basically just say occult things, and while I don't recall the details, the feel of it resonates. So I'd say this is a movie that is more to be felt than comprehended. And again I had to go back and watch some things several times just to make sure I was understanding what they were doing. But to be clear, this film rocks. You should see it if you want to see it. If you're like, well, I I want to see this for myself before I get into the main episode, well let me tell you where you can get it. First of all, as far as physical media goes, Shout Factory as the Paul Nashy collection out on Blu Ray that has the films in it, Horror Rises from the Tomb, Vengeance of the Zombies, Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll, Night of the Werewolf, and Human Beasts. You can also pick up Horror Rises from the Tomb on DVD. I watched it on Prime, but it was not great quality and it was formatted for television. I think the version you watched was on tub It was letterbox edition. But of course you're gonna have ads that way, so you know, it depends how you want to play it. I ended up going back on Twoby and watching some of the scenes again that I needed to revisit.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'd say it's worth it just for the hilarious ad cutaways, but.
Speaker 1: Who knows how the machine's working there. It may pick up on something else with somebody else's experience, right, yeah, yeah, all right, Well the basic elevator pitch here is Yeah, I mean, Horror Rises from the Tomb. Don't worry if you watch this film, Horror will rise from the tomb. The ultimate occult power couple won't let death stand in their way.
Speaker 3: It's a tender love story about a warlock and his head. Boy meets girl. Boy loses head, boy regains head, boy gets revenge, Boy loses his head.
Speaker 1: Well, boy loses, boy loses his head, Boy loses girl, Boy regains head, Boy regains girl, Boy loses girl, boy loses his head. That's the full plots.
Speaker 3: Dinosaurs eat boy, woman inherits the Earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: From the dark and Mysterious Middle Ages, full of mystery and violence. There now comes to the screen. Fear rises from the tomb, a curse which would bring these people to the most terrifying situations. Fear rises from the tomb with all the mystery and terror of medieval rights and witchcraft, the infernal powers of evil persecuting these defenseless bees. Beer rises from the Tomb. A pro film's production, directed by Carlos auded seven wombs of past today we shall take them.
Speaker 2: I want when the Supreme day comes, that they are sufficiently prepared for the sacrifice.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's talk a bit about the humans involved in this before we get back into the plot. So, as we mentioned already, Paul Nashi did not direct this. He was directed by Carlos Arid who lived nineteen thirty seven through two thousand and eight. He was a Spanish director of various erotic dramas and Paul Nashi horror films, including Curse of the Devil from seventy three, Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll from seventy four, and The Mummies Revenge from seventy five. As a producer, he helped bring the films Alien Predator from eighty six into.
Speaker 3: The blood, not alien versus predator, but not just alien predator alien predator.
Speaker 1: He also produced or was one of the producers on Claudio Fragaso of Troll two themes nineteen eighty four film Monster Dog starring Alice Cooper. What.
Speaker 3: I don't think I knew about that, or if I did it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it, but I've seen the posters and some stills from it. It looks it looks wonderfully awful. And as you might recall from our episode on trollto I mean, Claudio Fragaso took this very seriously, this filmmaking thing, and so he's exactly the sort of director you want directing a film called Monster Dog starring Alice Cooper.
Speaker 3: So if Troll two was a film about how he believed that meat eaters were being persecuted by vegetarians, what is the meaning of Monster Dog.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, but if the poster is any indication he pursues this topic, this subject matter via some sort of like fleshless killer doberman gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, so that's the director technically, but I don't know. The vibe gives the pretty much top to bottom, this is the Paul Nashi show.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: So who is this guy?
Speaker 1: So Paul Nashi, Yeah, who has story and screenplay credits on this. He plays our Warlock character Alaric Dimarnac. He also plays this is complicated, but Alarach's traitor's brother, Armand Demarnac. And he also plays Armand's descendant, Hugo Demarnac in the present. So three different roles, and all of them have a different feel to them.
Speaker 3: Though. It's weird because his descendant character is not like the inheritor of the Warlock throne. He in fact, he basically just treats his own descendant as another enemy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and you know there's a to there. I feel like there's a different energy to Hugh. I mean Hugo the modern day Paul Nashy character in this Whitch, but I mean, I mean the nineteen seventies. You know, he's still kind of a stylish dude. But he's also I mean, he's doomed. He can't stand up to the Warlock. He's not like, I am the descendant of Alaric and therefore I'm the one who can defeat him. No, No, it's not going to go that way at all.
Speaker 3: Now. In fact, he's a doomed skeptic and he's the guy who like doesn't believe in the power of spirit mediums, so you know things are not going to end well for him. Movies like this do not reward people who don't believe in the supernatural, and so nash But also I would say about Nashi's character, this is not unique to him, but he is. This movie has multiple contemporary characters who are very much like turtleneck sweater tucked into pants guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and yeah. They just sort of wander into all this with They're like, yeah, let's have a seance that this old estate, let's call back. Let's see we can call the spirit of this dead warlock. That sounds like a good time. We'll have some wine, we'll smoke a little bit. What could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 3: I would say Paul Nashy's energy as an actor is a strange combination something I'm not really used to. In one sense, he has very traditional, almost kind of like boxy or rectangular masculine movie star energy. I'm trying to think of who to compare, you know, like a like a Ed Begley senior or something. But then on the other half, kind of a weirdo worminess that is almost the likes of Peter Lorie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he has his His physicality is is interesting to behold. Yeah, because because on one level, I mean, he's he's clearly ripped, as we'll discuss he was. He's a former professional weightlifter. So so he's, uh, you know, he's quite a physical specimen. And yes he he but yet he can he does have this kind of wormy quality to him. He is a natural energy for playing this eternal outsider, this warlock that was beheaded in the past and now has to murder his way into being again in the present. So some of you might be wondering, well, who is Paul Nashi. We're talking about him. He sounds pretty great. Well, he is, in many people's words, the Lon Chaney junior of Spanish horror cinema.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So he was born Jaquinto Molino, but he assumed the name Paul Nashi for acting. And yeah, he plays three separate characters in this film. Also wrote the screenplay. And this is a guy. We can't really appreciate the full richness of Paul Nashi in a single episode of Weird House Cinema, but I feel like this is a really fun film and a great introduction to him at least. So this is a guy who was born into a successful furrier's family during the Spanish Civil War, who then began to pursue a serious adult life of professional weightlifting and architecture, but deep down only wanted one thing. He wanted to be the wolf Man, The Wolfman, the Wolfman. Yeah. I mean, from what I've read, he grew up, you know, idolizing these old horror movies and especially the wolfman roles, the Lion Cheney Junior sort of roles, and fate would deliver him in that direction. So he started out in various uncredited and sometimes rumored roles in various nineteen sixties Spanish production stuff like El Sid an episode of the TV show I Spy. But then in nineteen sixty eight he wrote and starred in a film that was originally titled Mark of the Werewolf, but then on the American groundhouse circuit it had the name Frankenstein's Bloody Terror, in which he played werewolf of Valdemar Daninski for the first of many, many times.
Speaker 3: So this was a franchise, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He did. I think it's like a dozen of these, with titles like Assignment Terere Wolf versus The Vampire Woman, The Fury of the Wolf Man, Doctor Jackal versus The Werewolf, Curse of the Devil, Night of the Howling Beast, Night of the Werewolf, the Beast and the Magic Sword, Howl of the Devil, like Cantripus, The Moonlight Murders, and Tomb of the Werewolf. Most of these films are from the seventies and eighties, but they ultimately span five decades, and they're not a continuous narrative by any means, with the plots varying wildly, like there's somewhere he goes to Asia and like goes to Tibet and Japan to try and treat his lacanthropy. But a number of them look phenomenal and they're just total werewolf features.
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like this sheds new light on a major flub in the movie that really seems like it should have been caught, which is that in the English dub, at least, there's one part where they try to say the word lichen thropes, but instead they say I think lincoln thropes, like President Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I noticed that that was I actually went back and looked at that on two be with the captions on and the captions for this one said, you have empires in Lincoln's robes instead of you are vampires and Lincoln tropes licenthropes. But they said lincoln thropes, yeah, Lincoln thropes, Yeah, Lincoln throat. The dubs has Lincoln thropes. They mean like they're talking about lacantrobe. But yeah. But we'll come back to the formal charges against Alaric in a bet. But back to Nashi here. Mostly it was this werewolf character that he returned to, but the warlock character in this Alric he does come back in a later nineteen eighty two film called Panic Beats apparently and plays the character once more.
Speaker 3: Is that about does he become a disco warlock? What's the beats referred to?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure comes back from the grave. But and it may not even be connected because, like I say, much of many of these werewolf films, it's not like it's a concise narrative. It's like, let's bring let's bring this guy back again, let's have another adventure. It doesn't mean it has to actually make sense or be stitched into the grand fabric of the thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see, like you can have many Dracula movies, but they're not like all direct sequels to each other with continuous or plot continuity exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well now, but I am thinking beats that because you look at Nashi as the warlock in this movie, and he does look like he could tear up the dance floor, like he would get out there in the lights. I mean, he'd be doing the whole what's the you know, the pointing dance, the John Travolta one.
Speaker 1: I know the one. I don't know what it's called. Okay, So just a little more more on Nashi here. I looked into him a bit of reading an article, actually a chapter in a book titled an Icon Rises from the Grave The twenty first century Cult Stardom of Paul Nashi, written by Andy Willis. Willis writes that Nashi was central to quote the development, revival, and reinvention of horror cinema in Spain. The paper mostly centers around the cult like revival of appreciation for Nashi late in his life and career, as film fans and filmmakers in Spain and beyond began to reevaluate his films, but it does put point out that, yeah, he was very much operating in a time when horror was seen as very low brow in Spanish cinema. Like, if you had any self respect, you'd be working in serious cinema. And if you were doing horror then like what are you doing?
Speaker 3: But what was serious cinema at the time, peplam movies like The Sword and Sandal stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just serious dramas about history and so forth. You know nothing about I mean, this is about history though, this is about an historic warlock. So I don't know. I don't know why the industry was so down on this film at the time. All right, well we'll come back. We'll discuss more about this wonderful performance as we continue. But there are other human beings we need to mention, at least in passing. Okay, we mentioned earlier. This is a power couple. It's not just Alaric, it's Alaric and Mobile. He has to bring Mobile back to life. Mabil is played by Helga Line. Helga is back. She was the titular Larele from The Laureles Grasp, the gorgeous redhead German born actor who made a name for herself mostly in Spanish cinema. Both of these films came out in seventy three, so if you want to hear more about her, go back to that episode. But she was born in nineteen thirty one. As of this recording is still alive, and she worked from nineteen forty one through two thousand and six and played a lot of fempatals characters in horror movies, various genre films, and yeah, it was pretty big in Spanish cinema, and in this she once more gets to absolutely slay multiple people and also consume their hearts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, noticing incredible amounts of overlap with the Lorealized Grasp, I was not prepared for how much these movies would have in common, even down to what looks like it could be just a coincidence, but what looked like the same shooting locations, talking.
Speaker 1: About the coastline, that really dreary coastline.
Speaker 3: The dreary lakeside. It looked exactly like the lake in Lorealized Grasp, And I would almost be surprised if it was not shot in the same place. But maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think the actual I don't know about the about the lake, but the actual estate that we see, I believe was in Paul Nashey's family, like that was that was his family's estate there that they filmed on.
Speaker 3: But it's not just that. Okay. So both movies feature Helga Lena as a kind of I don't know, loosely a vampireus of sorts, some kind of you know, creature that comes back from the grave or comes back through history to slash people with fingernail like in ways that leave these like you know, parallel slashes on their bodies and then extract their hearts and eat them. Both movies are about.
Speaker 1: This, right though. In the Laurli she changes into an actual monster and in this movie she just gets more.
Speaker 3: Naked, that's true, but she still does the fingernail slash.
Speaker 1: She does.
Speaker 3: This movie has has Wolverine style slashing.
Speaker 1: But she's great and she really vamps it up.
Speaker 3: Yes, there are great scenes where she and and the Warlock are arguing about, you know, when they're going to eat hearts? Are we gonna eat hearts now or we're gonna have to eat them later?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What is the plan? When do we when are we praising Satan right now? No? We need to wait. There's so many moons, we need to wait. The exact details of their plan are maybe a little vague, but she.
Speaker 3: Makes a good point. I mean, he's like, no, we need to We'll do the sacrifice to to Satan later and then we'll eat hearts then. And I think she makes the point that if we were angry until then, we're going to be making bad decisions. So we need to eat at least one heart now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she's like, honey, we've been dead for a long time. We've got to eat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right though, So these are the two most impressive actors in the film, but we have some other roles worth mentioning. Emma Cohen plays, who lived nineteen forty six through twenty sixteen, plays the character Elvira, not to be confused with Elvira the horror host. So. Emma Cohen was a Spanish actor as well as a writer and director. In fact, in twenty eleven she apparently directed a short film adaptation of Jorge Luis Borges The Aliph. She was also the longtime partner of Peruvian born Spanish director Fernando Fernan Gomez till his death, but she before this she did a lot of b movies and horror films in the seventies, including seventy five to Night of the Walking Dead, Jess Franco's nineteen seventy five Count Dracula. That's one that starred Christopher Lee as Dracula, Herbert Lohm as Van Helsing, and Kloskinsky as a quote unquote Wren Feared. I don't know why Wren feared in the IMDb credits, but he is huh. Cohen also had an uncredited role in nineteen seventies Nicholas and Alexandria And yeah, she in this she is she basically, she's our final girl. She's the one of the two daughters of one of the villagers in the place that they go to.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, I'm gonna admit that I again had a hard time keeping the different characters in the human characters in their relationships straight. So if you're asking, like who's married to who or whatever, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had to go back and I like, at first, I was like, I guess this was Hugo's wife, but it's not. No, it's not. Here goes why that's a different character entirely. Well, we'll summarize all that in a bit.
Speaker 3: Okay. There were a number of laugh out loud moments for me in this movie, but I would say the biggest one, the best one, is a scene where we have a guy who's had been seeing visions of dark eyes staring at him in the night and and he's and he can't stop seeing them when he closes his eyes. So he's got to paint. He's a painter, and he's like painting on a canvas and then suddenly above the canvas appears a laughing, severed head that's just going oh and it and dripping blood all over the painting. And it's so good. But this painter, like his dopiness makes it so much better.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's haunted by the head of Alrich and he's like, I don't know what it is. I keep seeing this head. I gotta paint it. I gotta paint it. And he's and he's painting this like sub night gallery quality painting, you know, of this headless body holding not Alaric's head but modern Paul Nashy's character's Hugo's head. Uh huh. It's pretty great. But yeah, this this is the this painter. Carector Maurice was played by Victor Barrera. I couldn't find any dates for this actor, but yeah, he's a wonderful, doomed idiot in this the character is the actor. Barrera appeared in such Spanish films as nineteen seventies in the Folds of the Flesh, the seventy three Nashy film Count Dracula's Great Love, and also the Nashy film Hunchback of the Morgue, as well as the nineteen seventy three film Green Inferno.
Speaker 3: Who was Count Dracula's Great Love.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I haven't seen it, must I'm guessing. I mean, it could be his career. You know, he married to his work, but I imagine it's some woman generally that's probably going to be nice.
Speaker 3: I am married to the blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, one more thing about Barrera. He was also in the seventy three Judy Geeson film A Candle for the Devil, and as a director and writer, he did the nineteen seventy eight film The Terrorist.
Speaker 3: He also tucks his turtle into his pants.
Speaker 1: He does. Yes. Now we're going to skip on the rest of the actors here, though there are some other fun performances, but skip into the music. Carmelo A. Bernala did the music. He lived nineteen twenty nine through two thousand and two, and all I have to say is I hope you like creepy organ music and weird percussion sounds, because this film is loaded with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's got this steady, slow, ascending organ melody that just repeats and repeats and repeats. Honestly, it got a little monotonous for me.
Speaker 1: I thought it fit this film like a glove. I'm not saying it would work in every film. I'm not saying I need a copy of it or I'm looking for a high grade vinyl release. But for this film, I thought it worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the appropriate vibe. But yeah, I mean you'll hear it quite a few times now.
Speaker 1: Bernala here. He was a longtime Spanish composer of many films, including seventy four's Torment and seventy three's Count Dracula's Great Love. Oh.
Speaker 3: He wrote the love theme from Count.
Speaker 1: Dractula's Great Love. One assumes one more note about a person in this there's a special effects. The special effects were by Antonio Molina and I don't have dates for him, but this is a guy that apparently has been working in special effects since the nineteen sixties, starting with nineteen sixty four's This is actually the Barry Sullivan film Pyro the Thing Without a Face that we referenced in our Fiend Without a Face episode. But Molina here is apparently still working today in Spanish productions, and even worked on six episodes of Game of Thrones, while he also served as an armor supervisor in the Spain unit for such big films as Wonder Woman nineteen eighty four and Terminator Dark Fate. So kind of a cool connection there. This is not a film that you watch and you think, wow, I guess they had just tons of money to spend on special effects. No, so I kind of alluded to earlier. I feel like the effects in this film, such as they are, look pretty good, though.
Speaker 3: It is that early seventies Zuo style of like very bright red, almost orange blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's alarming. Maybe that's why I got the TV fourteen.
Speaker 3: What you perhaps?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well, let's bust into the plot a little bit, Joe, take us back to the mid fifteenth century.
Speaker 3: Is that when it is mid fifteenth century, I think they say.
Speaker 1: I think that's what the narration says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this movie begins with the World's Most Depressing parade. You're watching like some people kind of tromp through a vast we see them like on a plane with mountains in the background. So it's the kind of landscape that maybe looks like if it had been the true colors, it would have been beautiful, but instead it looks just profoundly, deeply unhappy, And it kind of reminds me of some of the landscapes in Monty Python and the Holy Grail in that way that, like some about the film style and the way the colors come through just makes the landscape very drab and unpleasant.
Speaker 1: But it's fitting, especially when we find out what this procession is about. It's about killing and tormenting people accused of sorcery and witchcraft.
Speaker 3: Right, We're here for the execution of a warlock and a witch and there's some there's some narration. You get a voice over. I think that's saying like I don't remember the exact words, but it's basically like France, you know, before indoor plumbing. Wow, do you you think war and disease are bad? How about satan?
Speaker 1: Yeah, superstition, ignorance, violence, They prepare you for all of it here.
Speaker 3: And the inquisitors' troops here look to me like two faces henchmen and batman forever. They've got these goofy red sock masks over their heads. That that was really kind of nice. And this is also where we get It's so the you know, the warlock in the Witch are taken to the place of execution. I don't know why it needed to be in the middle of this vest field with the mountains and the stream, but yeah, that's where they take them. And then there's some kind of you know, church official or something who reads out the charges to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think Maurice's ancestor is one of these people as well, so he technically has a double role. Also, one of these peoples is Alaric's brother, who's kind of like this one eyed Paul Nashi character with like a smug grin on his face and a scar. That is Alaric's brother Armand who is It's implied that he kind of helped do his brother in here.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but they're both played by Nashi, so it's Nashy punishing Nashi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they read out a full list of charges, which in addition to you are vampires, and like athropes, you have drunk human blood of both the living and the dead. You have eaten flesh. You have celebrated the Black Mass with bloody sacrifices of the newborn and of your girls who have adored Satan and of followers of his Sabbath.
Speaker 3: Yes, verbatim, I believe.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they put the sorcerers to death. Warlock gets his head chopped off, and they like, I don't know how they kill the witch. They like hang her upside down or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they she screams. It seems like they're commencing to flogger and then cut. Yeah, she's presumed dead.
Speaker 3: Now here's the thing we discover later. I don't know why. This is when we find their bodies later in the movie. So this is going to be hundreds of years later. Obviously they want to be resurrected from the dead. But Paul Nashy's body, he's like an incorruptible saint, Like his body is all there. It still looks like, you know, totally fresh, and his head looks totally fresh. Meanwhile, Helga Lina's body is a skeleton with a wig on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, different, different, supernatural. Well, I guess here's the thing. He is the warlock. He is the one whose body is flowing with unnatural energy. She is his great love, and therefore she benefits from this sorcery. But she and she herself is a different type of entity. And later on in the film we had spelled out directly that they're slightly different rules for killing one versus the other by the way that opening execution is carried out via a decree from Carcassone, which was a French fortified city, and of course is also the name of a great German tile based board game which absolutely does not have a warlock execution expansion, but I think clearly needs one.
Speaker 3: Oh I never played it. What's a German style? Is that like Settlers of Catan kind of stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this one is one. It's a very calm and very relaxing board game. It's all about building walled cities and connecting them with roads with tiles, so it kind of you build it as you go and then at the end you score everything. And yeah, it's very cool.
Speaker 3: Okay, cut to the present day, and then Robin, I'm gonna need some help here. Who are the people our main characters. We have the Paul Nashy guy, and we have Maurice the painter, and then we have two women and then some other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was the I had to go back and put all this together again. But okay, we have we have al Rex descendant and well technically Armand's descendant, but also I guess Alyrex descendant. This is modern day contemporary Paul Nashi Hugo and his gal is Sylvia.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Then we have Hugo's painter friend Maurice, who is also he's a descendant of one of the witch hunters or executors here, and his gal is Paula.
Speaker 3: Okay, is so is are Sylvia and Hugo the ones where Sylvia is like, why don't we get married? And Hugo's like, because I'm Paul Nashi.
Speaker 1: Basically yeah, and I don't really remember what Maurice and Paula's whole vibe is other than they love each other. Yeah, And so basically they're all like, like, hey, we should I forget exactly how they reach this point, maybe this little research is going on, but they're like, we should go out to the country to Hugo's chalais out there and we should have we should get this, we should hire somebody to do a seance so we can get in touch with his head, which, by the way, Maurice keeps seeing in his dreams and in his visions as he's drawn to paint grotesque scenes of decapitation.
Speaker 3: Well, now, wait, I thought they did the seance before they went to the chalet. Don't they do while they're still hanging out they're still in the city.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. Okay, so they do the Yes, they do the seance first, and that's the inspiration to then go out into the country and try to find the body and the head of Alric, which are which are deposited in different places.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I think Maurice is like, I'm seeing this head in my dreams and I'm painting it and I'm not very smart, and Hugh gooes like, I don't believe in heads. And then they're like, well, let's have a say and that'll tell us what to do. And then the medium at the seance is like, there's a severed head that you must dig up, and it's up at your up in the village, at your chalet.
Speaker 1: And thatsters head is in the crypt of the monastery and yeah, our our city humans here are here, like, well, we got to get these two back together again. Let's get this head in this body back together. And so they set.
Speaker 3: Out only good can come from it. Yeah, I remember they argue about this is one of the scenes where Hugo is skeptical because they're like, you must believe what Madame Irena said, because you know, it's a spirit was obviously choking her from beyond the grave. And Hugo's like, oh, it must have been. She must have put on makeup to show those bruises. But then why are they trying to resurrect a spirit that was choking somebody? That seems like, I don't know that. That's red flag number one that like, you should not resurrect this spirit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. But what do they do? They jump in the are that they head out into the countryside, and and here we kind of get into the We initially get into sort of the Texas chainsaw mask your territory of the city folks have come out into the country and now they're encountering country folk who are suspicious and dangerous.
Speaker 3: Well, and yeah, and it was weirdly more, Uh, I don't know, there's politics within this village or something. So like they get attacked on the road by bandits, and then some other guys show up too, and they're like, hey, these are the bandits, and they catch the bandits and just like Vigilanti justice murder them. But then also, I think the vigilantes then are essentially bandits also, and they tried to extort money from from the heroes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and end up selling them a car because they think, yeah, when the bandits initially attacked, they end up wrecking the car and they're like, well, we'll sell you won for three thousand. And of course the lead bandit is watching as Hugo busts out this big roll of money, and you know, he's eyeball and it like, ooh, I'm definitely gonna rob these people later. Yeah, and that is indeed what they are plotting to do later. We'll come back.
Speaker 3: So here I got I got really confused about how this was happening. But do if I'm going to do like Hugo and the rest of them hire the villagers to just dig up all around this ancient church and find they're looking for a box that has a warlockhead in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I think the villagers are kind of interested in it because there's also talk of there being some sort of a treasure, so they're like, yeah, we'll help you dig this up. He will even go to that place where they say a demon stalks at night. So they're this weird mix of very superstitious but also you know, up for whatever. One of the villagers here that we meet is this this this Alan character. Uh and this is the he has twos. He has two daughters, one is Chantal and the other is Elvira.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay, yeah, I didn't know where some of these characters came from. But so some of the villagers they find a box they like, dig it up, and they again correct me if I'm wrong. I think they think it's treasure. So they get real excited and they open it up, like they blow torch the lock and crack it open. But when they crack it open, it's not treasure. It is a warlockhead. And then the warlockhead hypnotizes them and turns them into like murderers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Alrich's head hypnotizes them and particularly hypnotizes Alan here the father of Elvira, and has him go around with this huge scary scythe there this wonderful crooked cutting implement that again I think is quite scary and has him going around butchering people with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so for a while here there just seems to be kind of like random roaming sickle guys and they are there. Some people are just getting killed and other people are getting hypnotized to go work for the warlock head. The head right, because it's not a full yet. It's in fact, the most hilarious detail is that they there's like a scene where they literally go down into the crypt and they start taking orders from the warlock head. He's like he can't move his head. So it's really funny, like how far his eyes move back and forth when he's looking at the different people, Like what's this?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: You know you must do this.
Speaker 1: Very you know, templar esque in terms of, you know, the charges that were leveled against the Templars about the worship of decapitated heads. And it reminds me a little bit of the treatment of this idea in C. S. Lewis's that hideous strength as well. Hmm. But but yeah, the head needs the body, it needs people to help with the body, and some blood needs to be spilled on along the way, and so we do get a series of sickle murders, including Alan killing his own daughter Chantelle here in a already terrifying scene. This is a scene I had to watch a couple of times because I thought it ended up being you know, blocked in, you know, in a way that and shot in a way that that I found rather effective. There's there's a certain art to having your your brutal you know, Jallo style murders in a film, and they don't always work. Sometimes they come off very fake, or they come off more about showing the blood than sort of you know, teasing the idea of the violence. So this is not one of those scenes where we see a lot of like parting of flesh and see heart getting ripped out and so forth. But there's just like this sudden attack and then the sickle comes out and there's a sound effect. I thought it worked really well.
Speaker 3: Oh but there is the latter in this movie. There's plenty of that where but there's one where Helga Lene literally just like reaches into a guy's chest cavity with her fingers and prize his chest apart to get that heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the chest cat. This is one of those films where human flesh is just like to the undead and they can just rip right in there and pull out any organ they want.
Speaker 3: This is another sequence though, where I was like, when people were getting sickled, I did not know who was who, and I was confused when somebody like it seems like somebody turns up dead and then the next scene somebody goes, well, she's sleeping now, and I was like, well, wasn't she dead? Then I think maybe they're talking about another character who was present, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is one of those films too, where on one hand the script was allegedly written in like two days, But on the other hand too, it's like we're dealing with the Grindhouse era dubbing, where it wasn't really about necessarily making sure that all the intricacies of the original dialogue are maintained, it's about getting that product out right.
Speaker 3: So at some point after this, there is a scene where both Sylvia and Maurice get hypnotized to go work for the Warlock. Right, So, like Maurice goes out walking and then he gets hypnotized by hypnotized Sylvia and they they all end up going down into the crypt, and that's where the warlock head starts talking to them. This was another laugh out loud scene for me again, anytime the head is talking without the body, I found it very funny. And he gives a full bond villain monologue, but as a severed head sitting in a box talking and I had to transcribe this, I thought it was great. So it is like you, Maurice, he says, the last name. I don't remember what it is. You know, you, Maurice, With the blood of my enemies running through your veins, you will serve and help me accomplish my vengeance. Today the faithful Companion Mobile de la Cree will return, and in the space of seven moons, and when the heavens are propitious, our power will be at its maximum strength, so that we can exterminate all those who executed us, and our unbounded hatred will make all mankind tremble, and thereby we will thus be avenged. Right, it sounds like a plan, and thereby we will thus be avenged. I think this warlock in his day job may have been a lawyer. It's very contracty kind of language.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, back, I mean, I think that's that's fair. Back in the day, like what was a warlock but a lawyer who dealt mainly with one client, that being the the lord of the pit himself, Lord Satan.
Speaker 3: But also in the scene this is I think the resurrection scene where the warlock and Mobile are sort of brought back, so like they put the Warlock's head back on his body and somehow they turn Mobile from a skeleton with a wig on into hellgalln A, oh.
Speaker 1: God it this is scene is great. Yes, So the resurrected Alrich here, but he's one piece again. He places the unconscious Sylvia upon the skeletal remains in the casket, slices open her chest and any kind of necro philatically resurrects Mabel. He like kind of like lays on top of these two bodies in the casket. And then the next shot is Mabel is rising up out of the casket like the bones of her old bones like spilling to the side and she's back baby. And then Alaric kills Alan and cuts out his heart. So just a great sequence of events here, I guess, like I say, they're a power couple. You can't help you feel their energy and get behind him here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're clearly happy to be reunited. They are ready to go do copious evil together. Yes, so I think there's like a scene where they're getting it was not clear, but they're like getting revenge on the descendants of the people who executed them. I think they're just going and like attacking random villagers.
Speaker 1: I guess. I guess this was part of the vengeance, or it might have just been a situation with like we got to power up and eat more hearts. Yeah, there's there are these wonderful scenes where Alaric and Mabel go off to love up and kill other characters. I'm not sure these are necessarily characters that we had met before. Mabel finds a young villager dude, she strips nude and he gets nude, and then she backscratches him to death.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And then Alaric's occult charisma causes a villager woman to strip nude, so he strips nude and this is when we get to see physique by Nashi here, and then they climb into bed together. Cut to villager dude with his backslashed, cut to a nude woman dead with her heart cut out.
Speaker 3: I think this is a John Saxon situation though, where like Nashi, clearly he's like, I got to show my chest in this movie. People need to see these muscles. Yeah, so he found ways to work it in.
Speaker 1: I had. It also made me look up, as with John Saxon, I had to look up old bodybuilding photographs and yeah, you see, I found some old Paul Nashi shots of him in like full bodybuilder mode and yeah, pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now there's some like, eh Magic Dynamics where there's like a magical amulet that pops up sometime around here in the movie, and I was trying my hardest to figure out did we already know something about this or is this just out of nowhere? Like, oh, yeah, there is an amulet that will defeat the warlock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this kind of comes out of nowhere. As I recall Elvira, the local girl and ultimately she's gonna be our final girl here, she's like, oh, by the way, I just remembered something. There's this Thor's Hammer amulet and it can destroy powerful undead creatures. Oh, so useful information to suddenly have. And also we later learn and I don't remember how we learn this, but we learned that Thor's hammer will not outright destroy a female undead a female resurrected being. No, for that, you need a long silver needle.
Speaker 3: Right, So, yeah, the hammer only works on Paul Nashi, the warlock Paul Nashi. I remember how they find this out. They open up a book and they're reading the book and I'm like, what is this book. I don't know if they ever explain what the book is. They just have a book that tells you how to kill the warlock.
Speaker 1: This was the research portion of the movie. I forgot about this, But.
Speaker 3: So there is a scene where after this, like, the remaining humans include Hugo, who is unhypnotized at this point that's normal, that's regular, Paul Nashy, and Elvira, and I think maybe somebody else I don't know. So zombies attack the house and it's really This was also very funny because I think we get Alan or Elaine, the guy from the village, talking to Elvira and he's like, Elvira, my daughter opened the door and he sounds like Dracula, but she's like, oh dad. But when the zombies get into the house, they are vocal fry zombies. They are just wandering the halls going non stop and till there's a torch stand off. Paul Nashy lights up a torch and waves it at them. He does an awful lot of waving that torch. That goes on for a while, and eventually he gets him out of the house. He's like shoo, shoo, and you know, they get out of the door, and then he I think tries to burn them, but I don't know if it exactly works, because later he's like looking for their bodies in the lake or something he kept.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a brief burning man stunt here where he catches one of the one of the zombies on fire, or at least catches the pants in the back on fire.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: So yeah, basically Night of a Living Dead scenario here with dead villagers. They're able to successfully successfully fight them off until dawn.
Speaker 3: After this, Maurice comes back the Painter guy and he's like, well, I'm not hypnotized by the Warlock anymore. And Hugh goes like, oh great, well then I need you to go help me do something. We're gonna need an axe and some wood and then he says to Elvira, so they're leaving the house that he's like, you stay here. It's going this is a direct quote. It's going to be disagreeable. You'll be in no danger even if you're alone. What's the basis for that?
Speaker 1: I guess it's because it's daytime. The sun is Oh, yeah, that could be it, and she shouldn't see what they're going to do. What they are going to do. This is the same the following sequence. I think I watched three different times and finally consulted a summary to really nail down what they were trying to do in this sequence.
Speaker 3: Well, what are they trying to do? So they go to the lake and the lake is making bubbling tarpit sounds and I don't know why, but.
Speaker 1: They have to live an axe and they have firewood, and they have like a big long pole with a hook on it, like they're going to drag the lake. Apparently they have come out here to find the bodies of the zombies from last night, any remaining bodies, and burn them.
Speaker 3: But they don't quite get to do that because Maurice was not so unpossessed after all. Looks like this was all a trap.
Speaker 1: That's right, a brutal betrayal in which Maurice possessed Maurice kills Hugo with a shotgun.
Speaker 3: So this is regular Paul Nashi is dead. Now only warlock Poul Nashi remains.
Speaker 1: Right, And again I was kind of surprised by this because I thought it was going to ultimately be Nashi versus Nashy, but instead no, only Aleric remains.
Speaker 3: But however, I think Maurice is genuinely awakened from his hypnotized state by the Thor's hammer amulet, like I think, what's her name? Alvira presses that against him and then he's like, oh, I'm good now. And then that's when they read the book they find. They just start reading a book and it tells them how to kill warlocks and zombies and the silver Needle and all that. Meanwhile, this is when we get the argument between the warlock and Hellgaalaine about when they should eat hearts. You know, I will eat hearts later, but I'm hungry now. And they settle this by going out to find the bandits or the vigilantes from earlier who were camped out with a fire by the riverbank, and they just say Hi, We're gonna eat your hearts now, and they do. This is where Mabile like rips the dude's chest open with her hands.
Speaker 1: Nice. So many chests get ripped open in this film, and this all leads up to our final showdown. So on one hand, we have Maurice and we have Alvira, and then we also have Alaric and Mabel and Elvira and Maurice. They have the weapons now, they feel like they know what they need to do. They have the amulet, they have the needle, and so the battle begins basically the way this is. I thought thought this was a nice final showdown, but ultimately Maurice and Alaric both throw items at each other at the same time. Maurice is throwing the thor amulet and Alaric is throwing an axe, so Maurice is killed by the axe. Meanwhile, the amulet hits Alaric and wounds him. Alvira is fighting Mabel and stabs her with a silver needle, which just destroys her. And then Elvira picks up the amulet and presses it to the wounded Alaric's head, and this resolves in a nice dramatic death sequence for Paul Nashy's Alaric.
Speaker 3: So Elvira survives the Warlock horror.
Speaker 1: That's right, Alaric. He falls to his knees, his head falls off his body, and his head tumbled down some stairs and then just burned to a crisp.
Speaker 3: They end up looking at they're kind of like a smoldering orange newspapers.
Speaker 1: It looks like yeah. And then and then Elvira, in kind of a daze, she wanders back down to the lake and she throws the thor Amulet into the water. And that's the end of the movie.
Speaker 3: Now that's the I was confused by that. Why did she throw the amulet in the water. The amulet wasn't bad, The amulet protected them from evil. How does she know that there isn't that she's not gonna need that again?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, she seemed to think it belonged there. I don't know. If she was like, I've had enough of this, I'm throwing this into the water. If this is like throwing Goose's dog tags into the ocean and top Gun, I don't know, if this is like ex Caliber needs to be returned to the lake and so she's throwing those thrown into the lake. I'm not sure exactly what the rationale was here, other than to have a kind of haunting, ambiguous ending to the whole affair. Yeah, which is sort of what we had in the lorel Grasp. We had a haunting, ambiguous ending by the lake shore.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, except this movie, unlike Lorealized Grasp, does not have a doomed monster romance component. It does not have like the human falls in love with a monster. If there is a love story, it's the love story between two evil monsters, and unfortunately they are both they are both thwarted by bumbling humans.
Speaker 1: In the end, well, Alrich is clearly upset when his loved one dies again, Like we do get a moment of him reacting to that, and I felt bad for him because again I was behind this power couple. I'm not sure what their their their modern power couple name would be combining Alaric and Mabel.
Speaker 3: I'll leave Medford Maloric.
Speaker 1: Malaric, Team Malarek. Yeah, I was one on Team Malrek. So yeah, I was a little a little sad when when when when things went down the way they did.
Speaker 3: I think Nashi's look as the warlock is far superior to his look as a modern day man, So yeah, definitely. Yeah. On one day, he's wearing this gross, pale makeup and he always looks sweaty, and he's got this fake beard and he's got the cool cape and everything, and that all just gels. That works. And the other one.
Speaker 1: There's an actual gel too, there's that red gel or purple gel. So he has this demonic light to him, and yeah, he's just got this sardonic look on his face. Absolutely love this look.
Speaker 3: That look. That look works, and when you compare that to his look as the modern man who tucks his turtleneck in, it's just it's not the same. Right.
Speaker 1: Oh, before we close out, one more Maurice moment that I love. There's a part earlier in the film where they've gone out into the country and he comes back from town. I'm not sure what he was doing in town, but he's talking to Hugo and he's like, yeah, this place sucks. Like I went into town and the kids were throwing rocks at me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I loved it. I did not know what that meant, but it was funny, all right.
Speaker 1: The movie is horror Rises from the Tomb. Yeah, it's a lot of fun. At some point in the future, I may have to come back and look around at some of these Paul nashi werewolf films and figure out what might be the Paul Nashy werewolf film to watch. I'm not sure, but if anyone out there has any ideas, feel free to write in and let us know. All right. In the meantime, if you want to listen to other Weird House Cinema episodes, you'll find them in the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed every Friday. We're mainly a science podcast, but once a week we like to set aside everything that's serious and just talk about a weird film. So yeah, I get that. Wherever you get your podcasts. If you want a full list of the movies we've covered, there are two places you can go for that, aside from the episode feed. You can go to letterbox that's L E T T E R bo x D, and if you look up the account Weird House, you'll find a list there with all the movies in there. So you can get this nice visual of everything that we've covered and sometimes a glimpse at what we're going to cover. I also blog about these at a personal blog titled Summuta Music, so you can go there as well.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer Seth Nicholas Johnson. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.