Speaker 1: All Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Better Offline. I'm your host ed Zetron. Today we're talking monopolies, and I'm joined by Matt Stoler, who covers market power and antitrust for The Big Newsletter and is the director of research at the American Economic Liberties Project. Matt, thank you for joining me.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: So this is a very dumb place to start, but I think it's necessary. What exactly is a monopoly.
Speaker 1: Not a dumb place to start at all. There are different definitions, but generally speaking, it is the control of a recognized branch of trade or service, a unified control of recognized trade or service. And that's a definition I'm giving you from Lewis Brandeis, who was a Supreme Court justice, but it's the same. I think Milton Friedman had a kind of a similar definition. The essence of a monopoly is control of a market or a recognized trade.
Speaker 2: And what the most people not actually understand about them what.
Speaker 1: I think most people characterize monopoly as kind of an economic thing or you know, just a commercial thing, but really a monopoly is a political institution. So when we're talking about monopolies, we're talking about what is effectively a private government over a market, over an industry. If you're in that trade right, or that service, if you ply your trade there. If you're operating in a market which is monopolized, then you have a political boss who sets the prices, the terms of trade, who can buy, who can sell, and you're under their thumb and yeah, it's your trade right. So it looks like the quote unquote economy, but in fact it's really a person has or that firm has political power over you. And if you have enough monopolies in an economy, then at least in the commercial sector, which is a big part of our lives, we're not living in a democratic society. We're living in a society of a of a bunch of of private governments, authoritarian governments over markets.
Speaker 2: So Son Dapashi of Google would be like the president of his private monopoly, his little private I think that.
Speaker 1: I think that's right if you if you think about how people you know, there was a there's a good quote that from a plumber actually in the in the Wall Street Journal who said that, you know, the government can find me, but Google can put me out of business, right, because Google could take his business off Google Maps. They could they could change his ranking in Google Search, and so he was way more afraid of Google than than the government. And that's that's because Google has governing power over you know, over the Internet. You can see this, like every publisher can tell you that the change in Google's algorithm can be catastrophic or can be you know, hugely important and pactful in some ways. So yeah, very much. So. Google is the private government of the Internet, or at least the gatekeeper of the Internet. And it is exactly it's exactly what you're talking about. They also have political power because they're a big company and they lobby and whatnot. But just as infrastructure, they are governing that infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Almost feels like Yelp is like a borough of the larger Google country than Yelp controlling the reviews, and Yelp has a weird little mob like thing they do where you have to pay them to get rid of bad reviews. Now, it's very never really thought about the governmental comparison.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, so what you have with something like Yelp is because Yelp is under the control of Google, right, And Google is doing all sorts of things to sort of try to kill Yelp yelp, and Google has monopolized to advertising, right, a company like it kind of has no choice but to move towards a kind of sleazier business model where they're extractive, because all of the other areas where they could legit make more legitimate money have been monopolized by Google or have been taken by Google. So, in one sense, what happens when you have monopolies, you have you know, higher prices and all the rest of it. But another thing that happens is that businesses that are operating often have a choice of continuing in existence or not. And the choice of whether to continue in existence is often to go down through a business model that can look sleazier, can be problematic, or can be coercive. And so it's like that's that's the choice. Do you go out of business or do you this do this thing that you know you don't like. Is there's a law, there's a rule of thumb called Gresham's law about counterfeit money, which is, you know, when somebody starts using counterfeit money, then nobody wants to use real money. Because even if you want to use real money, you know, you're like, I'm not going to put real money out there if it's all counterfeit.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the drive with the counterfeit has the advantage, right rules.
Speaker 1: Good money drives out the bad. And so this is one of the things you see. For example, when you go to like a like a expeedyer or something like that, and you're hotels dot com. You're looking for, you know, to book something, they don't show the you know, resort fees, the junk fees until you know, you get to the last page where you're going to check out, or sometimes even when you get to the hotel. And it's not that every hotel wants to rip you off, but they all know that you're going to be looking at the price and comparing the sticker price that you see on the on the results page, and if their rival is not is not showing you that junk fee, then they're at a competitive disadvantage if they don't lie.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, well so well it's it's it's just that a market where you have rules that enable that allow fraud is just a different market than one where we don't allow fraud.
Speaker 1: It's just there. You know, there's discussions about capitalism or free markets or whatever. But the fact that you use the term market doesn't mean anything because markets are politically structured, like a farmer's market, a derivatives market, a slave market. They all use the term market. They're very different institutions, very different moral elements underpinning them, very different arrangements of power.
Speaker 2: So you've said something you wrote and deep, well it's also on your main page. Is America's in a monopoly crisis, right? What you mean?
Speaker 1: So what you haven't in a lot of areas and in most I think monopoly or oligopoly, which is just a small number of companies controlling a market is now a systemic feature of the American economy, and it didn't used to be. So there are different ways to measure it. But you know, about seventy five percent of industries in the last twenty five years have gotten more consolidated, and so you see, you know, and this is largely through mergers. So another statistic would be, you know, there's something called the Wilshire Wilshire five thousand, which is an index of public companies, and we don't have enough public companies for the Wilshire five thousand. They're only about thirty four hundred public companies. Now there used to be around nine thousand in the nineties. Now we have around thirty five hundred. It's largely because of mergers. Even the country per capitis, you know that the decline is even more significant. So just the number of big companies is smaller because companies have gotten you know, they've merged and gotten much much bigger, and this has a lot of consequences. What you see is wages are much lower than they otherwise would be. So the amount spent on employees with either increased wages or healthcare or training is probably between fourteen and twenty thousand dollars per American in the non in the non financial corporate sectors eighty million Americans. You see things like the cost of healthcare, which is largely driven by market power, consolidation in hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, insurers. The price of an insured family of four has gone from about ten to fifteen thousand dollars a year in two thousand and eight to about thirty thousand dollars a year today. So that's you know, a lot of the you know, lack of increase of compensation and wages. If you just take those two facts of just how much lack of ability to move to a new job because of consolidation. That's fifteen to twenty thousand dollars plus the increase that we're paying in healthcare. That's a lot of money. And that's you know, every single year, it's basically almost a new car every single year. That's just extracted from every family by this increased amount of concentration.
Speaker 2: And do you have less ability to move because there are just less places to work?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I mean, that's right. There's just like if you it used to be that you had, say you were in a town, you had ten stores, the you know, a couple of dry goods stores and grocery stores, butcher you know, like your you know, your standard main street, and then that all got put under one roof Walmart, and so you have one place to work and all the stuff is sold there, and now you don't have any place to bargain as if you're a worker or if you want to set up a store, you can't do that either because for you know, other reasons, because that Walmart has more bargaining power with suppliers, and so you can't compete. Even if you had a you could do it more efficiently, you still couldn't compete because you couldn't get the supplies that you needed, or you couldn't get them at the best at the same price.
Speaker 2: And that sounds like another manifestation of the political nature of these companies because they just set the terms that customers will expect and businesses have to operate with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Walmart in the nineteen nineties and two thousands as it was growing, and there are political reasons that were there were just changes in pricing law and anti trust laws. But Walmart would literally just go to their suppliers and they would say, okay, you Levi Strauss, you're not making your genes in China. We want you to move production to China. That's if you want to get into Walmart, and you need to get into Walmart because we are eight nine percent of the retail dollar and you need it, You're going to do this. And they just did this across the board, and they literally restructured how American production happens because.
Speaker 2: Was that to lower prices? Was that too? Why did they want them to move to China.
Speaker 1: Lower prices usually? But also you know, they had they had specific ways that they wanted to see their their their business operate, so they just want control. I mean there are other things that they did that are actually really interesting to restructure how retail works. But yeah, it was largely a price. It was a price element.
Speaker 2: And is the crisis that these there were just so many of these little moving within America.
Speaker 1: You mean that there's so many mononoply crisis, Yeah, I mean the crisis is that we have you know, as people get used to being bossed around, they lose their respect for democracy itself, right, I mean, that's that's the ultimately, like you see a ton of cynicism. And I think the reason that there's all of the cynicism about the rule of law, about the idea of living in a society is because most people experience living in an authoritarian part of their lives. I don't want to overstate it. We're not living in a dictatorship or anything. This is still a democracy. But you know, you get bossed around and you get told you can't mean, the amount of fear in commerce is overwhelming at this point. When you when you talk to people in lots of different areas, they're afraid to talk about what's going on in their industry. Because the monopolists can can retaliate against them. And so if you're living in fear, then you're not living, You're you're not free, right. You may not be living in a dictatorship, but you're not free.
Speaker 2: That's interesting as well, because so much of what I've talked about with the Valley is this without really framing it like you are, which is people fear. Samultman of Open Ai, he's grown big because people fear his existence, what he may say about them read Hoffmann right, same deal, And just the political nature of these institutions. I never really considered is this how it got so bad that the corporation's kind of got this level of power.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting the story of why this happened is actually not a story of big corporations seizing power, because we didn't actually have this problem in the nineteen seventies and before that. I mean, you know, there's always like some big companies, and there's always some problems here but here and there. But largely this is a story of bad ideas taking over. So what happened in the we had this populist tradition in America, right, which you can you can find this you know, really the the original Populace was a political party in the eighteen eighties and eighteen nineties. They were farmers from the South and the Midwest. They were upset about a number of different changes in the economy, the dominance of railroads, dominance of large banks. Basically, they were mad about Eastern capital controlling their business and making it hard to make a living selling farm products. And you control by processors, controlled by railroads. This is very similar stuff that we're seeing today. So standard oil. I didn't like that, But you could go back, you could find this, you know, you go back in the sixteen hundreds and find antecedents in England and so on and so forth. There has always been this tradition of let's not have too much. No one should have too much power in America, right, that's the checks and balances things, the federalist papers and whatnot. Also, no one should have there we should try to avoid conflicts of interest. I mean, that's in the Bible. No man may serve two masters. Right, So you have this these two sort of basic themes, checks and balances, no conflicts of interest. And we've we've always kind of understood that that's the way that we should arrange our society. Very bitter fights in the nineteenth century over corporate chartering. We regulated our corporusiness idea that we used to be less a fair and that's always nonsense.
Speaker 2: Just corporate chaltering. What do you mean that?
Speaker 1: So just the idea of being able to charter a corporation create a pupka idea, you can form one, yeah, being able to form one limited liability corporation where I, if my corporation does something, it's liable, but me as a human being that runs it is not right. An eternal entity that like you, doesn't die, is not a natural person, but can conduct business as if it is a natural person. That wasn't That was an innovation in the nineteenth century. It's not something that ever anybody could get. There were all sorts of fights over who could charter it for what reason. Originally it was academic institutions, municipalities. They didn't allow anyone to just charter a corporation. And because they were like this can be really dangerous. Corporations were originally chartered to allow the pooling. You know, eventually they started to charter them in business and they said you can pool capital and men to build things of public works and make a little profit, and we're going to put very restrictive confidence in there. And it was very restrictive until the eighteen eighties and eighteen nineties, and that's when you started to see federal antitrust laws because the state chartering didn't work as well, and so we needed a new regulatory regime, and that was the that's when we got into the federalization of it. But that's the story. The story is we've always kept a tight rain on commercial concentrations of power. In the nineteen seventies, there were sort of two different political and intellectual movements that came that won the debate. Each one within the Republican Party, one within the Democratic Party, the Republican the debate. The one on the right was the Chicago School. These were the Libertarians, and their argument was power doesn't matter, Concentrations of power doesn't matter, conflicts of interest don't matter. Traditional things like usery caps, all that stuff is very silly. The only thing that matters is efficiency. We need to just think about what is most efficient. And to understand efficiency, let's think. Let's ask economists. They are the scientists, right, We're going to move this political question out of the realm of the public and the citizen and move it to the expert, the scientists, the economist. That's why these political things become the economy. That's why we start using terms like human capital instead of people, or infrastructure instead of bridges. Like it's just a very you know, the language got gets weird and sort of flat distant, yeah, exactly distant alien right. I noticed this in the in some of the documents that I was looking at the government doctor in the seventy eight seventy nine, that like, the language started getting weird and very technocratic, wonky. So that was on the right. On the left, it was sort of like some quasi socialists who made a similar argument. And they they you know, they they were not they didn't like small business right because they thought that like small business people were like uh racist and and Rubby and Andy. They preferred working with you know, the big the big banks and the and the big chain stores. And they thought, oh, they're cosmopolitans regardless.
Speaker 2: Who knows how big corporations feel about race. Jesus.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not I'm just telling.
Speaker 2: You no, no, no, no, I'm not saying you're the one. He's just like, oh god.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean so so. So they didn't like car dealers, right, That was they were like, car dealers are sleazy, we don't like them. They were kind of more socialists, and they said, you know what we should we should have big planning, right, work with IBM, work with like the big fancy companies to sort of plan things, and and and that. They were like, we need experts to kind of be planners in the economy. And that's actually not very different than saying, let's just allow the economists to run things, right, It's actually very similar. Both the right and the left they kind of hated each other, but they agreed that populism was bad, that small business was sort of foolish and silly, and that what we really should do is is have big institutions running things. And those big institutions, you know, maybe the right thought, well, they should just generate cash because that's more efficient, and the left maybe thought, let's have them be more socialist and look out for the public interest. But that was the sort of the gist of what both and they won. And then they changed antitrust laws in the nineteen seventies and a whole bunch of regulatory laws in the nineteen eighties, like, for example, deregulation of airlines, which happened in nineteen eighty. The most aggressive proponent of deregulation of airlines was Ralph Nader. Okay, wasn't a right wing thing. The airlines themselves didn't want it. It was Ralph Nader pushing it very aggressively. He was also very aggressive about pushing for deregulation in banking. You know, I mean, it's a weird history here.
Speaker 2: It's weird. How will like the two very different sides both seem to kind of turn against workers almost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Nata realized he made a mistake. But what the basic idea there was, Oh, this is it's bad for consumers that we have this regulatory scheme of for banks or for or for or for truckers or for airlines. It increases prices, it's not as efficient as it could be. If we consolidate power, that's more efficient. Right, all these grubby you.
Speaker 2: Know, because scale, you'll be able to do.
Speaker 1: Right. And so the Chicago schoolers or the right wingers were like, absolutely, this is completely right. I mean they're hippies and communists and we hate them, but they're not wrong about the need to bring the experts in to run things and move away from these you know, grubby, dumb small business people. And you know, the there's a lot of it is the consumer rights move movement was part was the people on the left who got this to happen. And you know, even if today if you read like the biographies autobiographies of people who worked in the Carter administration, though like invective, the anger they have towards the teamsters is really weird. Like I've read like multiple people from was his name, Alfred Kahn was kind of the big one. He was like diregular, but he used to talk about like how the goal of a lot of the policies was to just destroy the teamsters and reduce wages like for workers, and.
Speaker 2: Did they did. Why was there such bipartisan descent for small business? It just doesn't Maybe it makes sense just looking back, like Hinslight's twenty twenty, but it just feels so illogical almost on the left.
Speaker 1: There's an elitism to it. Right, So you had this is the first generation like in this it's the sixties and seventies, and now you have finally like tens of millions of people who are college educated. Right, it's right after the GI Bill and this the World War two, and they're they're trying to understand the economy and the New Deal. The New Deal exists, right, the New Deal framework is there. Things aren't basically prosperous, and they stop caring about questions of political economy and concentrations of power and inequality because there just isn't that much of it. I mean, yeah, there's like there's some like rich people. There are rich people, but they're seen as kind of like borish and tacky. They're not like considered powerful. Wall Street doesn't really matter, you know, in the seventies, it's just like a place with coupon clippings of like bonds. It doesn't it's not you know, it's not a big deal. And that's kind of the vibe that that most people have. You know, it's in nineteen seventy nine, you could like you could leave high school and you could just get it, get a job making fifty bucks an hour in a factory. Right that it was just a very different society. So there just wasn't the concern over being able to make it.
Speaker 2: In and not fifty dollars an hour. Job was not I'm going to guess from mega corporation.
Speaker 1: Or it was I mean, but it could be. It could be but like it could be for Ford, or it could be for a supplier of Ford or whatever. But like it wasn't you know, there was a lot of light manufacturing by smaller companies. But the point is is that you had a lot There were a lot of options, and it wasn't you know, it wasn't considered weird or a bad thing, and inequality was fairly low, and you could also start your own business. It wasn't that hard to do that, right, But the political infrastructure for that had kind of fallen apart. And when inflation hit in the nineteen seventies, and inflation hit for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with changes in banking, you know, some some oil shocks, those two movements spent a lot of time convincing people that the American economy was misshapen because there wasn't enough expertise running things. And so in the nineteen seventies, when you started, when there was inflation, when there were these when there were financial shocks, the argument was we gotta we got to get rid of these new deal rules. Now, there were legitimate reasons to update those rules, like the train system was a mess, and because you couldn't close down unprofitable routes. You know, there was there were there was a lot of like real problems with our with our transportation system. You know, it was hard to update trucking rules. There were things that needed to be updated. But they just said, you know what, all of this stuff, just throw it out and give freedom to capital, to to unionize, to do whatever capital wants, because that's how to bring down costs. You got to make things more efficient and that will address pricing.
Speaker 2: So was there a succession of legislation or was it one big moment.
Speaker 1: It was a bunch of different it was. It was some legislation. A lot of it was through the courts, so it wasn't you know, it's not like we ever repealed any of these anti trust laws. It's just that interpretations by enforcers and the courts changed. Oh yeah, and that's actually the Reagan administration. You know. There's this document that a colleague uncovered in nineteen eighty, the Transition, a transition document from two important economists who said we're not going to be able to convince Congress to get rid of anti trust laws. So we're just going to have to change it administratively by not enforcing the laws that we don't like. So that's what Reagan did with mergers. He said, we're no longer going to enforce merger anti merger law. And so that's why, you know, you saw a huge consolidation wave in the nineteen eighties. You know the movie Wall Street, the nineteen eighty seven Oliver Spill. Yeah, so that's about a merger, right, that is the moment, Like, that's what happens, is that that change. You also saw in terms of legislation. Yes, there was a tremendous amount of deregulation of particularly of finance, but also of trade, also of shipping, also of you know, railroads and trucking, and there were a lot of legislative changes that fostered the consolidation of economic power in the name of efficiency. So, you know, one of the first laws that changed was one that it was called the Consumer Pricing Goods Act of nineteen seventy five. They said, we are going to allow discounters to basically charge much less than an item costs in order to kill their rivals. So you know that the idea used to be that if I sold, if I was a producer and I and I sold, say Ingersol watches or something, I could tell the retailer what price minimum price they could set, and that way that retailer couldn't price below cost to draw people in and kill their rivals. Let's say, like, you know, they don't do that with Ingosole watches, but they did that with milk, right, you know, price below cost to kill your rivals. If you can price below cost, this is what Amazon does, right, Like. The reason Amazon was able to kill its rivals is because it could borrow from Wall Street for as long as it took, whereas its rivals couldn't. That's called predatory pricing. Uber did something similar that used to be illegal, and one of the laws that made it possible was the Consumer Pricing Goods Act of nineteen seventy five that was put in place by the Democrats who had just gotten elected reacting in a reaction to Nixon, and they didn't know what to do about inflation. So this is something that the Natorites told them to do. They did it, and Walmart exploded as a result, nineteen seventy, Walmart was about had about, I don't know, twenty thirty million dollars in sales. By nineteen eighty it had a billion dollars in sales by nineteen eighty five. Sam Walton richest guy in the country. But so a bunch of stuff, like a bunch of legal changes happened, deregulation of finance, deregulation of all of these different areas, and now so the relaxation, dramatic relaxation of antitrust laws. And so when you make when you legalize monopoly, which is effectively what happened, then you get a bunch of monopolies. And this is to our earlier point. If you don't monopolize, then you get eaten, right, and you get destroyed. So you could say Mark Zuckerberg did what he did, and that's bad by rolling up, you know, the social media space. But if it hadn't been him, it would have been somebody else, right, And same thing with Google, same thing with all of these guys like it was gonna When you create a legal environment like that, that's what happens. So these big companies now they're big, Now they're powerful, and they use lobbying, they use infrastructure, and they're governing. But it didn't start out that way. Now we have a political economy problem, but the ideas have changed. So the intellectual framework they were operating on of Google, we don't do evil, right, which is a fundamentally a statement about governing. I think there's like a general view that whatever you think about Google's business model, it is inappropriate for a private entity to be used to be wielding sovereign power. That's not it shouldn't be up to them, right.
Speaker 2: So what does it actually mean that the government said they had a monopoly of search? What? What does that actually the ramifications?
Speaker 1: So this is getting to the search trial. We can talk a little bit about that, but but a monopoly means you know what the what? So they were just deemed a monopolist by a judge judgment meta in in DC District Court. It's actually their second loss. They were also dubbed a monopolist in uh the Android app store.
Speaker 2: Controls with the case with that pig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is their second and there's a third case that's starting where it's about their control of software that underpins advertise online advertising markets. That starts in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, what what Metta said is that Google is a monopolist because they control uh search right, general search services, and then they control search advertising. And what they were doing that was illegal is they were preventing rivals from getting into the search market using contracts, and so it's not just that they were monopolizing, it's that they were thwarting rivals from challenging them, and then they were raising ad prices as a result of their control of this market. So the that's like the in anti trust law. It didn't always used to be this way, but we interpret it to really since the sixties to the eighties, depending on what case you look at. If you are if you are a monopoly and you and then you do something to maintain that monopoly or to extend your monopoly, that's what makes it illegal. Right, Like if I just create a new product category, some widget that no one's ever heard of before, and I start making it and it's popular, I'm by definition going to have one hundred percent of the market. That doesn't that's not illegal, right. What it would be illegal as if I had one hundred percent of the market and then I said to my distributors. Hey, if you want my thing that everybody wants, you can't distribute my rivals. Think that's what makes it. That's what turns it into an illegal conspiracy, and that's effective the argument about what Google was doing with search.
Speaker 2: So, how do you feel it's going to go?
Speaker 1: Why do you think, I mean the they're starting. So the case started in twenty twenty. It was originally brought by the Trump administration. The Biden administration has brought it forward, and it took until twenty twenty four when it went to trial and finally the judge ruled that Google's a monopolist. Now is the second part of the trial, which is called the remedy phase, where the government comes and says, here's what we want to cure the monopoly, and Google will say, no, I don't think that's right. This is what you need to cure the monopoly. And there will be another, effectively a trial, and then the judge will rule and make a decision, and then it will go on appeal, probably the Supreme Court, or depending on who wins in you know, this election, they could settle it as the Bush administration did with the Microsoft suit in two thousand and one. So all of that being said, we don't even know what the Justice Department is going to ask for. So the Justice Department could ask for something very small, in which case that's the most you're going to get, or they could ask the end of it, right well, I mean it's not the end. There's going to be you know, yeah, that's the most you're going to get. Or they could ask for you know, breaking up the company and you know, opening up the data vaults to let anybody use the data that that Google collected, or you know, opening up their IP vaults and saying anybody gets to use that, or you know, there's a ton that the DJ could ask for. We're going to sort of find out more about that in the next month or two. The Remedy phase conference the have they're they're just going to talk about the scheduling of the remedy phase in I think September like sixth the ninth or something like that. So, well, you know what we're gonna be covering, mys be covering that. You're going to hear about that if you if you want to see it. But it's I know, it's very exciting. I mean, this is the first big tech company that's been deemed to be a monopolist and the anti trust law, you know, a lot of anti trusts law is is just not so much what the law says, but whether you use the law. You know, the Department of Justice didn't bring a monopolization case pretty much for twenty years since Microsoft, like the Google case was the first one first, certainly first big one. FDC brought a few. There have been some private cases, but this is really the first big one since since Microsoft. And what's gonna happen and what is already happening is, you know, every big company is we're you know, every CEO in a company that has market power has to ask their general counselor could this are we doing something that could get us into hot water? They didn't have to ask that a few years ago, because you could just the general counsel or their anti trust council could say, eh, don't worry.
Speaker 2: That dude gives a shit, it won't do anything.
Speaker 1: No one would ever bring a case. Right But now not only did the government bring a case, but they won the case. So it's like, oh, okay, now we got to be careful.
Speaker 2: And just so you when you say they won the case. So it was the government versus Google with a no. This is very simple with the judge, Judge Meta saying I agree with the government, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was the government, and then there were a bunch of states as well, and the Meta didn't. He didn't agree with everything the government said. So there were certain things with like Google's advertising platform that he said that's not a monopoly. But on the big stuff, the search stuff, yeah, he agreed with the government.
Speaker 2: How do you break up a company like Google?
Speaker 1: Though Wall Street does it all the time. I mean, you just saw what I think. DuPont just broke itself up into multiple division. You know, Google is not just it's not like one jumbled together thing. You know, Google has different divisions, and so, you know, and they buy companies and they sell companies, and you just you've got put an investment banker in there to sell the company, you know, sell parts of the company.
Speaker 2: It's not it would be selling off bits of the company though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could just I mean, depending on what they you know, you could do it in lots of different ways. But this is something that Wall Street knows how to do, so you could just It's not it's not rocket science. You know Google. You just go to Google has a bunch of people who work in the YouTube you know, at YouTube, and they have someone who's a CEO of YouTube. You just say, okay, if you have a share of Google, you now have a share of Google and you have a share of YouTube.
Speaker 2: Of a separate institution for.
Speaker 1: Companies, right, I mean there are difficult things to break up. Like let's say you want it to have a different a separate search engine, right right, okay? There do you clone it? Who gets the Google domain? Like who gets the brand? You know? There are also questions all right, like let's say you open up the data vault and you say other entities can come in and use the data. That's those are technical questions and you could you could. Basically the way you would deal with that is you would have Google pay for a like a special master who would kind of like run who would run a like a technical committee that would make a lot of decisions. That's what Microsoft had to do after they lost There was a technical committee that came in and basically was a regulator for Microsoft's a couple hundred people something one hundred to two hundred people who were just making sure that Microsoft's software was compatible with other entity software, and they had certain legal authority over Microsoft. You do that for for parts of Google where you can't actually do a breakup, and there you know, there you go. This is a remedy is not that hard depending on what you want to do.
Speaker 2: It almost feels like they kind of want us to think it's harder than it is because that benefits them. It makes oh, it's impossible to do this. We couldn't possibly, but I imagine and that that's the argument in the remedies face.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I think that yes, they they in the in the epic. We've seen the remedy argument in the epic the Apple. And what Google has been saying is, oh, all of this stuff is so hard, it's so expensive. It's how could we do this? And also it's not fair. And the judge is basically like, come on, your Google. You've been saying how awesome you are for a long time. You can do this. This is not that hard and it's not going to take you ten years and eight gazillion dollars.
Speaker 2: So do you see any other monopolies within the tech industry?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think there's a lot of there's a lot of market power in all over the economy, and you see it in you know, I mean the probably the most obvious monopoly is VeriSign's control of the dot com domain. Like I know, it's like a small Yeah, it's just so obviously if you want to register a domain name and you want a dot com or you own a dot com and you need to reregister, you know, you need to renew it, you're going to pay a you know, you're gonna pay registration company and they're gonna have to remit whatever whatever they charge. I think they charge like nine dollars and fifty cents and it's it's like seventy percent operating margins. And because they manage the dot com domain name, because the government charters them told them, you can you get to manage this. They have contract government that lets them do it. Just a very clear one hundred percent of the market for you know, renewing dot com domain names, and just everybody that owns a dot com domain gives them nine dollars and fifty cents a year. They should give them probably ninety cents a year.
Speaker 2: Right, So are you suggesting that'd be other chances or chanters?
Speaker 1: Well, what they should do is either just put a price cap on it and say you get to charge two bucks and that's it, like a utility, or say every three years just bid it out and say, Okay, whoever gives, you know, the best price gets to manage the you know, the dot com domains. They've done that for other you know, for other domains, and it tends to drop the price. Pretty dramatic.
Speaker 2: This is a personal one. I'm going to ask, how do you feel about the Madden franchise with electronic arts?
Speaker 4: So the reason the house this is because it sucks.
Speaker 1: It's something that I, you know, people have been telling me about for a long time. So monopolies is not It's not like always obvious. The moral arguments aren't always obvious. Mad's a really good example where and I don't know that much about this, but you used to have a lot of different NFL sort of football games. You had at least two, Yeah, and they were and they were innovative, so you like, they had to innovate around like different features. I don't play video games. I don't believe in fun. I don't like, you know, I don't think there should be any joy. But I lost that, so, uh, but as long as you're not going outside, that's my main concern, not a problem. Okay, good. So you know, the these long term monopoly arrangements are like are I think there's something really problematic about it, But I don't exactly know what to do about the But but the you know Madden has gotten is it's not that it's gotten worse, it just hasn't improved, right, And and they're there there's also some of the other sports games they're like extracting more and more money. But did you see this with fanatics too? They've made the experience in sports worse. So it's what we need to look at is these kind of long term exclusive contracts. And there are some there are some questions like should the NFL be able to leverage its brands to create you know, obviously they have obviously they have a right to profit from their brand, right and obviously the players and they all have right to profit from their brand, just as movie company. You know, they get a copyright of the movies they make. But the question is should you able should you be allowed to take that brand that is a government granted monopoly, which is fair because you are generating you know, you're making the product, right, but should you be able to turn that into another monopoly? Should be you able to leverage that you know, or should you have to say, okay, well we will. I'm in a profit from it. Anybody that uses the NFL in a game has to pay me. But I can't restrict who gets to use that in a game, right. That was a little bit like there have been anti trust cases on that. There was one in the forties that restructured Hollywood. So there were a bunch of movie studios and they owned or they controlled theater chains, and they wouldn't let rival movies into the theaters. So it'd be like, if you want to get you know, like Gone with the Wind, which everyone wants to see, then you have to take our other movies and you have to keep rivals out of your theater. And it was just a way of controlling the commons. It was a way of tran of turning their monopoly over legitimate copyright monopoly over Gone with the Win, which they had made, into a monopoly over distribution of movies in general. And this feels the Madden thing feels a little bit like it's turning their brand into control over over, just like football related video games, and that that doesn't feel it's had the consequences that we don't like higher prices worse quality.
Speaker 2: And you're right about Madden. I think it's a great example of how of a problem of this kind of long term licensing agreement because it's it is. I would argue with people about whether it's good or bad. I think it's a certain kind of mediocre. But you're right, is it keeps things kind of trapped in amba it only gets as good as the monopolist decides.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. And EA Sports will overpay, right, like, they will pay more just to just to be the monopolist. Right, They're not paying for the license, they're paying for the license and to exclude someone else from getting into.
Speaker 2: The space, kind of like Apple with Google.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. I mean, that's the thing is you don't want so the original the Sherman At Anti Trust acts bars monopolization and restraints of trade. So if you think about the term restraints of trade, it is about saying someone shouldn't be able to restrain trade to to It's not a critique of big business. It's a critique of not allowing business to get big right, And this is a case where they are preventing more business from being done by paying explicitly so others won't get that that NFL licensing brand.
Speaker 2: It almost feels like monopolies are just like distinctly on American.
Speaker 1: Well, you know they they you know, let me get this quote from Woodrow Wilson because it's it's a really good quote. I know he's you know, it was virulently racist and everything, but you know, take the good with the bad. So America was created to break every kind of monopoly and to set men free upon a footing of equality, upon a footing of opportunity, to match their brains and their energies. So he actually appointed Lewis Brandeis to the Supreme Court. And you know there is a you know, Thomas Jefferson wanted to put an antime monopoly plank in the Constitution. That was his one of his critiques. You know. You see, like historically, the anti monopoly lens is kind of a critical way to understand American history. And you can see this like over and over and over. There is this fear of monopoly power and it comes from the the the recognition that we do not want to be run by a king. Right, So John Sherman, Sherman Anti Trust Act, said that, you know, if we wouldn't be will not be ruled by a monarch, we should not be ruled by an autocratic trade. Right, very explicit about the link between monarchy and authoritarianism and monopoly. And they were using the term monarchy because fascism hadn't happened yet, right, so, but monarchy did exist, right then in the nineteenth century, Americans were looking across the ocean and they were seeing a bunch of kingdoms. There was a little bit of democracy, but that's what they were really looking at, and they were like, we don't want that. And today we would just say fascism, right, but like you, you know that we did analogize monopoly to fascism in the nineteen twenties, thirties, forties. But it has always been foundational in America that concentrations of power are what we escaped and they are not what we want here. And there's always been this tension because you do need to consolidate capital and effort to do great public works and to do great works in general, like you often do need to do that, But how do you control the power of that. How do you control the power of industry? If you're going to put a billion dollars together to build a railroad across the country, you know, that's awesome. Now you have a transcontinental railroad, but who runs that railroad and the prices they charge, the ability for them to charge different prices to different classes of people based on who they want to succeed. Now, all of a sudden, you're talking about a political problem. Well, of course you don't want to say you can't have a railroad, but you do have to deal with the political power that's concentrated. And it's true with telegraphs, it's true, you know, the Internet going all of these things. So this has always been a problem, a political problem that we've tried to address. And I think what happened in the seventies and eighties, and this has happened the last forty years, is we just kind of forgot about it, and then all this consolidation happened, and now we're trying to get a handle on it again.
Speaker 2: And is this what you were referring to you mentioned previous previous quote of your authoritarianism is coming for the private from the private sector. Is this what you mean?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 2: These It's It's fascinating as well because I've been running business fifteen years and felt pretty well learned about this stuff, but never really thought about these companies as political entities. Which leads me to a cloud compute question. So do all police basically have the same problem because right now in tech you have basically three or four, maybe five companies that control all cloud compute? Is that something we should let stand it? Like do we need to see signs of price fixing? What are the bad signs?
Speaker 1: So really good question. Every market is its own special snowflake. Right. You can't. You can't make you know, some markets, right, you can? You could. You could structure a market to have a lot of a lot of different entrants like farming. Right, you can have a lot of people growing corn depending on how you split up the land. You can have a lot of banks, right. Not totally clear to me that you could have a lot of say, auto producers, right, not going to have a family, you know, artisanal auto producer that makes a lot of cars, right, So same with chemicals, same with lots of different I mean you can like there's there's just there are some industries where you're going to have a small number of producers semiconductors, there's you know, they're not going to have like so cloud computing. When I look at it, to me, it's just a it's a capital story, right, Who has the capital to put to build out the data centers to get the power that you need to design the compute that you need. And it might be the case that you really can only have three or four of them, maybe have some specialty cloud computing. I don't know. This isn't an area I've studied extensionly. But typically when you do have an entity where entity is where you have like a huge capital investment and you can't have you have their natural limits on the number of competitors, you have some form of public utility regulation, which usually takes the form of saying you can't engage in price discrimination, like you can raise your prices, but you can't charge more to that entity for the same service than you charge to this other entity. And you can't you know, and you can't say, engage in like surveillance of your clients to give yourself an advantage that would be or you know, there's certain like you can't pick winners and losers. You have to you have to be a public utility. It's a little bit like it was a little bit like a railroad or a granary or something which is clothed with public interest but is owned by a private entity. There. You know, it gets a little tricky with things, you know, with companies that make open source tools on top of of uh you know, for cloud computing entities, do those cloud computing anties just like absorb those tools make their own version of it like there are you know, I don't have an answer to all of the questions about how to run a cloud computing infrastructure, but generally what you want to do is you you want to say, all right, we're gonna we're going to try to pull the power out of we want the economies of scale, but we're going to try to pull the ability to be arbitrary and coercive out of the business model through antitrust law or regulations or whatever we can do, or just you know, transparency of pricing. You know, I know there's some egress pricing. I mean that's you know, being able allowing people to get out of the cloud computing pull their data out if they want so. There are different techniques, but the basic idea is to recognize that there is a there is a public interest in this private in these in these these in this private infrastructure, and so the public has some right, not total right, but some right to control how these entities are are operating.
Speaker 2: And that they could that they must be free trade in the sense that someone can easily leave and go to a competitor right within reason.
Speaker 1: In reason, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Another question I think we can wrap up with this one is Meta a monopoly? Because Meta is the only provider of advertising on metas products and they have there is no way that someone realistically compete with Facebook. It is too big at this point, and same with Instagram kind of is it a monopoly? I'm trying to understand these concepts in real time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think you you know there are different markets, right, So I think an easier way to conceptualize this would be to look at Apple, right, Apple and Google, and you would say, well, Apple's not a monopoly. I mean, I can I can buy an Android phone, right, right, I don't need to buy an Apple an iPhone, right? And that's true if you're looking at it from a perspective of somebody who's buying a phone. It's a duopoly. There's a lot of market power there, but it's not a monopoly. However, what if you've bought the phone now, all of a sudden, you you know, you can't it's not easy to switch, right, so you're kind of locked in. Is Apple a monopoly? Kind of kind of? Okay, Well, you can look at it from a different point of view, which is what if you're an app developer right now, you have to get on the I phone because some of your customers are there and you can't not be on the iPhone. So getting into the app store for Apple, that's a monopoly question. And the same thing is true for Getting So it's a little bit like you're you know, sure, maybe you can. There's a lot of railroad options, but there's only one railroad that goes from one town to another. So there might be a bunch of different railroads, but for what you need, there's only one option.
Speaker 2: So it's access to the customer.
Speaker 1: Well, right, just there's lots of different markets, there's lots of ways to understand, you know, what what market power means. So if you take that back to Facebook, which is really like a conglomerate of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp. Do they have market power and where do they have market power over? I think you'd look at the ability to buy certain kinds of advertising, right if do you need if you're running advertising campaigns, do you need to buy on Facebook? Or can you just avoid Facebook entirely? This is one of the questions in the Google case, and this is the question in actually multiple Google cases, And it's been a question in a different case involving medical advertising, which had to involve a company called IQBA, and the court found that in fact, yes, if you are doing specifically pharmaceutical marketing, IQB is is there is market power involved in these very narrow places where you have to buy. It's kind of like that smaller railroad, that one place you put at the one the only one that goes to the place that you need to go, the jack up prices and control who gets to use it. So the question, I think the question I would ask is, if you're an advertiser, do you have to buy on Facebook's products? If you are, you know, a company, do you have to communicate through Facebook's tools? Right? I know WhatsApp is really embedded in a lot of different business arrangements at this point. So that's where that's kind of how I would I would look at it, and I think you could make a pretty good argument that Facebook has immense market power in social networking in general. You know the definition. There's different ways to test for monopoly. You could just say, well, can they raise prices without really losing very much? It's been, which they have been, and I think it's pretty clear that they can. And if there were another option, right, you could you probably would. They would they would see loss of customers bleeding going somewhere else, and they don't see that. Another way to understand it is, after some of the scandals that they've had, do they lose customers because of it? Do they lose users because of it? And the answer is no. Right, So there doesn't really seem to be an effect of the quality of the product. It doesn't seem to affect whether people you it or not.
Speaker 2: Oh, actually, I might push back at that a little bit, and perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point. But Facebook's advertising product is decaying to the point that it's actually unreliable how much comes out of it, And also they approve there's a big thing where they approve fake ads for fake for other companies. So it's interesting as well because it almost feels as if we need a full consumer awakening just to the concept of monopolies writ large, so that people can start looking at these companies and acting and even just discussing them differently.
Speaker 1: Right, So, to Facebook, the product quality is decaying, the advertising quality is decaying. Are they losing business because of it.
Speaker 2: As in they being meta or they be right?
Speaker 1: Because if they're not, then what that's proof of monopoly power? Because what's right gowing is the quality is declining, but they're not getting Like if it were if there were a competitive market and the quality of a product went down, people would say, I'm not going to buy that product anymore, the shirts fall apart, I'll go buy somewhere else. But because but it's like, if that's the only place where you can get the product, you can't. You have no choice. You have to keep buying from them.
Speaker 2: Right right, that makes sense? So Matt, Yeah, this has been such a pleasure. Thank you so much for joining me today. Where can people find you?
Speaker 1: So? I write a newsletter called The Big Newsletter dot com, which is about monopoly, power and finance. And I also am the research director of a nonprofit called the American Economic Liberties Project. And then I rant on Twitter way too often. That's my you know, that's my madden post.
Speaker 2: This mindset, it's the greatest. You've all been listening to Better Offline. Thank you for listening so much, and of course the regular places to find me in the show follow after this.
Speaker 4: Thank you for listening to Better Offline.
Speaker 2: The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Matasowski. You can check out more of his music and audio projects at Matasowski dot com, M A T T O S O W s KI dot com. You can email me at easy at Better Offline dot com, or visit Better Offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot Where's Youreed dot ad to visit the discord, and go to our slash Better Offline to check out our reddit. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 4: Better Offline is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone.
Speaker 2: Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com or check us out on.
Speaker 4: The iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts