Speaker 1: Also media, locally hated, globally loathed, chosen by God and perfected by science. I'm ed Zeitron and this is Better Offline Today. I'm joined by an incredible duo. We've got Mia Sarto of The Verge and Dave Lee of Bloomberg. Thank you both for joining me in the studio.
Speaker 2: Happy to be here.
Speaker 1: So before we go any further, of course, please subscribe to the News let the premium one as well. Please help me, and for a limited time you can buy a Better Offline challenge coin. A bunch of other staff links in the episode notes. But you two, I'm so excited to have you here because you were two of my favorite opinion columnists as well, but also a feature like you. I've known your work for many years, so I'm very very excited to have you here. Mia, I wanted to start with a simple question, though, what is a labo bou. You've shown me this creature, this you are finding like little evil thing, and everyone wants one, and I don't done this. Every time I try and look it up and it makes me upset.
Speaker 2: This could be the first time a la boobo has stepped foot in the iHeartRadio offices.
Speaker 1: I think we record in the same room as.
Speaker 2: Right, something shifted. Oh okay, so Labooboo probably has been in the last culture recent area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would assume.
Speaker 2: Yeah. La Boo Boos are little plush dolls. They have kind of like a hard plastic human like mean face, but then are wearing like a bunny suit. They come in all different colors, and I think the most important thing to know about Laboo Boos is it is just gambling. It's just gambling for kids and kind of adults now elaborate. So they come in blind boxes, which is like they are all in like a little plaster or a paper cartan, and you have like a one in six chance of getting a certain you know these colors, and then there's one rare one that's like a one in seventy two chance, and it says it right on the box like it is just straightforward betting.
Speaker 3: Who makes me.
Speaker 2: They are sold by this company called PopMart, and they're based on like a cartoon I think, like a broader umbrella called The Monsters. So Labooboo is one character in The Monsters.
Speaker 1: And the others did not take off. I'm not the.
Speaker 2: Same way, but I think there are some fans for the other characters, the labooo or no, it's real, it's real because of the seventy two no no, obviously not.
Speaker 1: So is there a secondary la boo boo market.
Speaker 2: Well, this is where it gets interesting, and this is why I think leabuo boos are funnier and kind of stupider than they appear on the surface, because from my observations and from talking to friends who are like good at flipping things, there is no really no resale value for opened laboo boos. So if I wanted to sell this pink laboo boo, it would go for maybe like forty bucks fifty bucks, and they retail for like twenty seven ninety nine, not including shipping and tax, and.
Speaker 1: Not a huge margin. No, you can even sell exactly.
Speaker 2: The ones that do go for some money are the rare ones, which is like you know, their special colors and unopened boxes, because again it's about gambling. It is about the chance that you might have a rare one. They're also out on Popmart's app, which we can talk about, like, I think it is like the funniest thing ever to do to parents of young children and to teens.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like this was my life of Pokemon cards.
Speaker 2: It's exactly the same.
Speaker 3: Game trumps right right.
Speaker 2: And there is some like off like downstream La Booo culture where people will dress in this essay. I will, but people will like dress up their boo boos. They'll like get accessories. There's a crazy kind of like off brand black market for like La Boo boo related things like lafu fooss are the fake laboo boos. I also own a La fu Fu that I bought at the Statue of Liberty as God intended. But yeah, the labubos are interesting because it's not about the doll. It's about how you acquire it, and it's about the odds, the odds that you're taking.
Speaker 3: Really, there's nothing more to it. Yeah, I feel like two years ago this would have got This would have had like an NFT element to it, right.
Speaker 2: I don't say that, don't speak that into.
Speaker 3: Exibits, but I think it's wholesome that it's just it's just the thing, yeah, nothing else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like collector culture.
Speaker 1: It's also like very nihilistic.
Speaker 2: It's it's pretty nihilistic. There's no ip related to it that people are familiar with. There's no film like La Boo Boo movie that people are obsessed with, like you know, Paw Patrol, like kids see.
Speaker 1: Pop want stuff, and like ten years ago this would have already remember with Angry Birds. Yeah, Grovio is like we're gonna do a TV show, We're gonna do a.
Speaker 2: Movie, or like Grumpy Cat. I just wrote about grumpy cats, so there's a grumpy there's a whole aspect.
Speaker 3: But this will come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of what I'm waiting for. Also, it does seem there is a Laboo Boo fan connect collection on Magic Eden. It's zero point zero four Soul. If you buy one of these, they should put you on a list. It's fascinating because I've done everything I can to avoid this, and I've mostly seen like cities by a Diana Classic Instagram account. I've seen Leboobuo pop up on there and being like no one will save you. It's like that kind of brain rot style thing where it's like a cute s you've always been like, no one will save you, the world will collapse. It's just La Boobos, Yes, but it is. I thought that'd be more. I thought there would be more to it, but it just see, it's just gam it's just gambling. We've found a way to give children gambling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this isn't the first one either, Like their blind boxes are definitely a thing, like Sunny Angels were the last blind box thing that was kind of a craze. They're little cherub like dolls, probably like two or three inches tall, and they're all naked, and I think that's why adults felt weird about owning them. But labuobos are not naked, so people feel comfortable putting out them on their like expensive handbags.
Speaker 1: So that's what is it that has enabled this? Though? Is it like very ta is Like this is a very TikTok driven movement.
Speaker 2: It's definitely on TikTok. I think. Also a big reason they're so kind of like zeitgeisty or buzzy is because they're impossible to buy. They're sold out all the time. I went through the steps of trying to buy a Laboo Boo on the PopMart app, and it was, hell, why don't you woke.
Speaker 1: Me through that? I'd love to actually like, how do you actually allegedly buybies?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I didn't realize that you have to play like a mini game basically like Boo Boo. This is what people don't understand is like I have been through the trenches to buy the stupid doll. You have to so on the PopMart app, they're always sold out, right, and they have like drops at certain times, and the company, i think wanted to sort of recreate the experience of going to a store and seeing an empty shelf where you're like looking for the doll or looking for the product. So when they drop, there are like digital shelves or or like boxes where individual labo like six boxes of Labuo boos will be place like digital ones, right, and you can watch them sell out and you just scroll through the boxes to find a la Boo boo for sale, and most of the time they're all like grade out, so that's something like it's in someone else's cart, and then they'll get released, like someone will abandon it or whatever, and then you can you have to like spam click the box. It's crazy, and then you can shake it and it will give you hints about like what it's not, what doll it's not. I'm sorry, I feel like I'm speaking in tongues.
Speaker 1: No no, no, this is I'm following you. It's just horrifying.
Speaker 2: It's really hard. And the other thing, I mean, PopMart is they're sick. They're so sick and brilliant because they also get thousands of people watching their TikTok lives for hours waiting for them to drop laboo boos in TikTok shop, And that is engagement. That's it's just like straightforward engagement for me, you know what I mean, it's it's pretty insane.
Speaker 3: So when does this jump into being? I mean, there's no other ip around it. Yeah, but I think of like Minecraft, that kind of stuff. I mean, very sort of different product. But eventually they went, let's Microsoft bought it, and then they made a movie and all that stuff, and there was the commercialization was massive after it's very organic. Is there a point do you think where that just suddenly people go, all the kids are crazy about these things. We can't just let this go by?
Speaker 2: Maybe, like maybe, But also it feels so straightforwardly consumeristic that like I could see it just dying down in like.
Speaker 1: Two months recession indicators they stopped selling these out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, honestly, I feel like people are being obsessed with buying la booboos instead of like groceries or whatever is a recession indicator, like these are cheap three, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, I also feel like China just leads the world in this kind of yeah, like nineties style evil consumerism, Like this is some shit you would see in a mid nineties film about evil tech CEOs, Like we've created a devil dull like China.
Speaker 3: I mean, I still, I mean, I feel like when I used to buy football stickers as a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is so they were blind.
Speaker 3: I didn't know whether there was a good players in there or bad players. Different scale and different level of a session from what you're describing there. But isn't there just this part of a young person's brain that says, I want to collect these, My friends are going to collect these. It's fun, right, I mean, I don't see it's combsolutely different.
Speaker 1: Oh it's not like you're totally right in that. It's kind of clicking into that. You had a bit of that with the n f T S and you've had right at the beginning, especially and with top Shots as well, which was the NFTs for basketball games that they then expanded and then failed. It was exactly the same thing. It was the kind of top trumps or not top trumps at football stickers. The difference is that they've built like an economic layer to it to like torture the people trying to buy them the disappearing boxes.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: Manipulative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really interesting. It also feels very much like what a lot of shopping is these days is like a you know, a stand in for a hobby collecting. Like I feel like the Boo Boos and Stanley Cups are like the same thing. Do you all know what Stanley cup? I'm sorry, sorry no, but that means your your brain is good the test, like your brain is not fried. That is like the women who collect like dozens of Stanley Cup colors and there's no reason to have them, but like that is their form of you know that it's a hobby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just want to read something from the Wikipedia page for La Booboo. The Federation Council of Russia proposed banning the sale for the Boo Boos. The reason was their frightening appearance and potential hunt children's mental health in Russia. A Katsena alta Beva, Deputy Chair for the Committee and Science Education, Culture, state that the figures caused children to feel fear. I just want to say that that, like that was just a very funny sentence. Yeah, yeah, Russia's massive ethics cause there it's just I think it. You've really mentioned something though, with like collectibles that reminds me of entities as well, where it's I collect comic artwork and I original compic. I fucking delight in it. I've filled my walls. I won't be getting anymore, but like it has meaning and those I know like sports Memorbile that they collect stuff because oh it's a meaningful game whatever, or the player. With this, it's like like n FT's it's that with all of the culture removed. It's just strip mind to the core of you want what everyone else wants, You want it now, how will you get it? Only us? And the fact that there's not another thing that Pop Mart has done like this is so strange though, Yeah, like they're not. It's almost like they're being a little bit cautious with it. They don't want to overfill and push their luck a bit, which is fascinating. And also the reason I mentioned this China is American e commerce companies do not have that killer instinct I feel like in China they'll fucking roll our asses with making this cut of stuff. They made an evil looking doll with no ip that they're just like we own this by.
Speaker 2: It, and now people are obsessed, like how did it take off?
Speaker 1: Was it? They're like, one, is it just something that appeared?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: The weirdest thing is that, from what I understand, one of the Black Pink girls we're seen, she was seen with a labubu.
Speaker 1: And that's Korean pop.
Speaker 2: Yes, k pop group, one of the probably one of the biggest.
Speaker 1: Happens yeah the world I'm Sane video.
Speaker 2: I can't remember if it was Jenny or Lisa, but I think maybe Lisa from Black Pink had a la boo boo and it like it had been kind of percolating already, but that really like blew it up in a crazy way. But Yeah, my prediction is like this will be not a thing anymore when it's they're easy to acquire because again, my theory is that it's really just about the process of acquisition, and I guess it's purchasing rather than like the actual thing. And I think also a lot of other especially like American toymakers, are desperate right, like what is their laboo boo?
Speaker 1: What is I don't know, and the things it's it's they're trying they're going to solve it by going, well, we'll just make a better one. It's like, No, the actual thing you need to do is engage your killer instinct and call Fangil or one of those companies they Fangile has more in common I think than any like Mattel as far as creating a product like Labuobo. It's just this thing of scaring people saying, oh, if you don't get in on now this, now you'll miss it. Just to think with the NFTs things with Crypto and now they've brought it for children, which is great. I think. I think it's good. It's also I think the natural endpoint of this bullshit fandom culture we've been in the last ten to fifteen years maybe where it's just like it's.
Speaker 3: Just why, I think you're underestimated the degree to we see these things just cycle around.
Speaker 1: Oh again, I don't disagree on that it is a cyclical thing, but I think it's also just like, why do we have this because everyone has this? Why do we do this because everyone does this? Accelerated by things like TikTok and TikTok Live in particular.
Speaker 3: Yah, the urgency is interesting. Yeah, and I think the if there's one thing, even if the toys go away, that mechanism an enduring thing. But it'd be interesting to see if an American brand does try that fully here, because it's kind of similar to do you ever remember used to use like booking dot com and I would say, three people book this room in the last twenty minutes, you better get it otherwise you're not going to do it. And we we sort of we that was, you know, got a lot of scrutiny, has been an unfair way to force people to buy things in a hurry, and I suspect would see the same.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's like the natural growth of e commerce and all the ways you can kind of push a customer. You see it with like every single Instagram drop chip thing. If you click then it's like sixty two people are buying this right now. Yeah, you need to buy this special code looking at it. Yeah, and if you don't, they're going to sell out. This is the pans that sold out. There are so many pans that sell out on Instagram. But leading into another thing, actually both of you have kind of covered as well. It feels like this is almost humanity trying to move with the algorithm to fit what people would be going after a growth of as you put Dave, that the fact that, yeah, we are trend seekers, we will want to kind of fit in. But it leads to this thing of this got popular because it got it got popular and it hit the algorithmic side. You were mentioning before we came in here here that there is an almost an seo level to posting on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, for sure, I mean, you know, I think it goes back to do you remember like two years ago everyone was freaking out that people were using TikTok like a search engine, which no, was like, so quaint I think I think like a Google exact mentioned it at some event.
Speaker 3: Right, well, they mentioned it. This is one of my favorite parts. So during their antitrust here right right where we say lost, eventually they are that Google is a monopoly because kids are turned to TikTok to search, and it was just it was and Google had this slide. They were briefing journalists with than others that had all the sort of supposed competitors, and it was just things that they weren't competitive, and TikTok was one of them. And there was this idea and because here's the thing. If someone might go on TikTok and say, oh, good restaurant New York and get like a couple of videos or whatever. But the idea that there was like a utility that's replacing like for like was very very helpful to me. But it was at a point sort of picked up by all these kind of trends arenown to be like, oh, Google's in trouble because people are searching on TikTok. Not really, you know, it's it's that'd be like saying I'm searching on television. You know, it's there's not this not the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely not. And it's obviously like it was deployed very strategically by Google, you know, like bringing out very specific statistics or whatever. But the I think the point stands that like the same thing I've written about sort of the degradation of Google Search as a window into the web. And part of that is because people spam the web with horrible things, like things that kind of suck and are not useful because they're trying to appease an algorithm, and I think that same thing is happening on TikTok. It happens on Instagram, and a lot of it is user like comes from the user. We have to be honest that like people make shitty content.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's not just the tech companies who like make the systems bad. But there also is like sort of the guiding hand of TikTok where it will give creators ideas for types of content to make. These are what people are. These are the terms that people are searching for. What if you made a video about trending restaurants in your neighborhood or la boo boo, right, And part of it is like people want to want ideas for what to make yours. TikTok is a very punishing algorithm, at least in my experience, Like if you stop posting, it's really hard to regain views.
Speaker 1: I wasn't sure. Yeah, I've actually always been So there's a momentum.
Speaker 2: All there's a momentum for sure, for sure, And this is something creators have talked a lot about. But you need ideas for what to post and if TikTok is saying, a bunch of people are searching for this one specific restaurant in New York, why wouldn't you make a video about it? Right, It's like sort of it's it's almost like a it's backing into SEO, where you kind of instead of searching for, you know, terms related to what you make, you take the terms that the platform is giving you or telling you, suggesting you make content based off of Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's the kind of incentive driven web at this point, because I think that with the thing with SEO especially is there were there were people always made shit content, but there were also people who genuinely like, here are ten things I really like in New York. I mean one of my one of the saddest, like a brand that's still around, as like Zagat that used to be or Time Out especially.
Speaker 3: I mean there's so many Sports Illustrated, you know, they're just these places that were making good content their business how didn't work? And one of my grievances with Google at the moment strongly is that what they're selling now is the solution to the web they created, Yes, saying we've got all these disgusting websites out there. You go on a local news website, my god, it's it's your phone is like one hundred exactly, and there's pop ups everywhere, and you get and Google's saying, oh, the web's bad. We're gonna we're gonna summarize that as an aoverview. Isn't that great? And so well, the web's bad because the design had to be you know, the way we made content had to change in order to appease the platform.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing. You did a great piece actually about there reaping the rewards of it's unfairy advantage and also kind of like selling you swill and being like, yeah, we'll find the dogs, will find the diamond in the turds that we created, and I think quite the turn afraid, yeah, why they give me a microphone. But it's so sad as well, because there is an innocence to it. It's like, yeah, if you know people are looking for New York stuff, and you know New York, of course you'd say that time out reason that brought up as well as it used to be that you pick up time out and be like, oh, well, these people think they're cool. Like it was a big degree of that, and I think TikTok is leaned into that as well, with content creators like that, because I have seen tiktoks of stuff in New York. I've moved to America in two thousand, and they have spent many, many hours in New York. There's shit I'm surprised by. It's cool, and then you get the people who are doing it chop shop style, and it's unfortunate but kind of inevitable that you'd see this on social networks. What's confusing to me is why TikTok feels like the first one to really give it the actual try, because Instagram is sort of half asked it. Twitter's never really like people try and appear for algorithms, but it didn't feel like the companies were as serious about it as say maybe a Google or indeed TikTok.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I mean Instagram at least the search has always sucked. Yeah, and it doesn't. I don't know that it makes sense to optimize that same way that said, Instagram also does have like creator tools where it will be like this is how you should edit a video or this is how you should make content.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: YouTube does this so it's it's not that I just think that search on TikTok is something so different. I did something recently where I was I searched for something on TikTok and there was like a little pop up that the app gave me that was like, if you're not finding an answer that's satisfactory, why don't you ask people to make content based off of it? Or something? It was crazy, you know, it was so many levels of optimization that I was like, this is really an experience. It doesn't exist on other platforms on it's such a bid.
Speaker 3: It's such a by design thing with TikTok search, because one thing is really I find really aggravating as someone who you know isn't as clued up on the online culture as evidently you guys both.
Speaker 2: Are like, well nobody has laboo boo.
Speaker 3: I'll often see on TikTok some reference or something and I'll go, what are they talking about? What is that about? And TikTok doesn't allow you just to link to another video, right, and so what it forces you to do is there'll be the search suggestion, there'll be people doing searches, there'll be people that know that people are looking for searchers, so they will reference something else that will send you somewhere else in entirely. And it's just the net effect of that is, instead of going to the video that explain the thing that I'm confused about, I end up watching maybe five others with ads in between every second or third one, and I still don't really know. I mean, although some of the things I think if I did see the explanation, I still wouldn't understand it. But just trying to get there in the first place is really really tricky.
Speaker 1: It's when you get to the point of like, why are they creating search tools on their platforms? Is it so that you can find the thing you need or so that they can fine like they can kind of get you halfway.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's I'm just be clear. I'm not front loaded this and suggesting the evil and everything everything everything they do. But the tweaks they make kind of are one of the funny things mere you put you actually put in the article about dupes though, that excellent. I'll leave and call of these in their notes.
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 1: You don't have to email me. Uh was you if you look for Apple dupes on Instagram? You get this thing saying protect your favorite brands. The sale of promotion of counterfeit goods is not allowed on Instagram. So funny, But if you just type in dupes, it goes summarizing. If you're looking for alternative alternatives to high end products, dubes are are the way to go. A dupe is a product that replicates the quality, indoor appearance, a price. They're alternative. So funny, and then you get a bunch of videos that are selling jupes. Sometimes it feels like they don't really care that much. They just they just kind of like mailing it in.
Speaker 3: Ye tiktokt for jubes. I fine. I wrote a column months ago now, but it was I saw one video and there's this guy and he hadn't even got out of bed, right, and he said, oh, Apple's selling these pod maxes for three hundred bucks, but these ones are only twenty And he was holding his hands you can't see on the public, holding his hand in the air, and he didn't have a product in his hand. He just had a screenshot of the Apple the official Apple AirPod Maxes, and it was just sort of floating around with his hand. And then what he was selling on TikTok shop was you know, a twenty bucks knockoff that was terrible, and I wrote about basically how the TikTok shop is. I think it's kind of insulting to TikTok users. They've really shoved it in. They put it in the middle, so it looks terrible, looks terrible. The products are just awful. Some of the marketing people do is so trashy. It's like got all this like sexual in the endo in it and all this kind of stuff, and TikTok were just like, well, no, we're happy with it basically, and they actually tried to deep force a big correction on a column that had nothing wrong with it other than the fact it was calling out that it was a terrible place.
Speaker 1: I think that TikTok should lean more into the excellent Chinese business owners, though. I don't know if you've seen any of these insane ones where it'll be like we're selling giant houses, you can't step, no permit needed. There was one where it's like for people sent its like one says I'm racist, one says I'm ablest, and one goes I'm stepan. If you need to buy high quality cables with your logo on it, and I love those because they're funny. They're funny, but they're also just like, yeah, we're trying to do the algorithm, but fuck you by K and at the end that just like, we have a bunch of cables with you that's respectable, that's that's commerce. We should support that, not this weird QVC. It almost feels like we're trending towards what every music video in the nineties was making, like this very kind of like greasy consumerism. Though I will add this isn't me suggesting anyone specifically has decided to be evil. This is just what happens when incentives for people. I think when you get like the slop shop in TikTok.
Speaker 3: I think the incentives of all the major networks have been so interesting and sort of shaping. I mean, you were talking earlier about Twitter. They never really push people in much of a direction in terms of what to sort of be talking about. But one thing they did reward constantly the algorithm was anger. Yes, and Facebook got into that problem with you know when they you know, for a long the longest time they thought any engagement is good engagement until they realized it was you ain't and uncles like having to go at each other over politics or whatever. That's when they realized that was bad. And I'm still not convinced they do realize how bad that is. Twitter was all about anger I did for a short while, and this was years ago I think now, But like TikTok did seem to sort of push people towards doing stuff right, which I thought was quite healthy, Like well, the things that did well were you know, friends getting together and dancing. It was being out and about, it was being funny. But the stuff that worked was actually.
Speaker 1: Quite entertaining, like Vine almost, but yeah, just like.
Speaker 3: Vine in terms of just the sort of the humor that traveled. I think that what's happened, though, is they've turned the screw of the monetization and the amount of sponsored stuff and also like the and I never quite know what drives it, right, because it is it that some people come up with a format for a format for a video that works and then TikTok goes, oh, that's good, We'll get others to do it. What do you think sort of TikTok is trying to nurture it itself first, I mean, I guess it's a bit of buu im.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, it's chicken and egg because I had this theory about year ago, maybe actually twenty twenty three, where it's like, at some point, how much of content is just going to be geared towards what they think the algorithm wants, and because the algorithm with good reason, they don't want to just publish exactly what would work, because then people would only do that. And I think that there's just this weird battle between I think any content creat I think all of us, like there's a certain degree of what's going to do well. And personally, as everyone knows from this show, I've just done what I want since the beginning, regardless of what people said. But there is a pool of like what will do well? What do people want? And what is a person in this case? And so you've just got this people probably I reckon for the most part, people are making honest content. I think it's it's impossible to quantify it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's impossible to quantify. And also I don't think it's that like it makes a lot of sense when you think of the Internet or these platforms as a workplace, which for a lot of these people. It is for me. It is in some way the Verge employs me and pays my bills. But part of my work, part of my how my work travels is based on my ability to ride algorithmic waves when needed. Right, And it's the same way that like, you still see journalists on threads. I don't really post on threads very much, but you see journalists on threads post screenshots of their articles, and then in the replies they'll post the link because they think that they're going to get downloaded. Right, you're down downrinked for putting a link in there.
Speaker 1: Insane.
Speaker 2: And that's the same way that like, you know, twit twit.
Speaker 1: Like that as well.
Speaker 2: Now yeah, yeah, and I mean Elon Musk has just come out straightforwardly and said, like, you know, it's I can't remember the term he used, but yeah, he's acknowledged that. But you know, the same practices sort of carry over to video platforms. Right, you need to start a video in a certain way if you want it to get traction. There are different ways, well, there are different ways to do it. Some some stuff that goes really does really well is like you know, selfie style camp, selfie style video and it starts okay, story time. I'm sure you've seen this, Oh where you put it?
Speaker 3: The millennials get it ready right and have it hello everyone?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yes, the gen Z sake is the.
Speaker 2: Is like, so, yes, that's well, that's a perfect example of like people the shake is this thing where people were I guess surmising that if you put your camera down, like you start recording, and you put your camera down in a way that feels like you were just caught something in the moment. Yeah, and you were just recording jumping into record a video like that is effective for people, or it makes it feel organic, or it makes it feel relatable like whatever. But yeah, everyone does some like some level of optimizing.
Speaker 3: I think the dark side of this is that trying to predict what works is turning people completely loopy. Yeah right, Like so I saw and I won't say who is might have my assessment on how this person feels might be wrong. But I saw a singer who made a short video maybe thirty seconds, where she had like one verse of a song and she's like, oh guys, you like this and it was wonderful and it got like, you know, over a million views. I was going, I'll record this recorded because and so she did, right, She sort of took time off the platform, made like an EP and put the songs out there, came back on TikTok to make the content about the song being ready, and it got next to nothing engagement, and you can just see, at least my impression was that you could see her kind of going why why, Like, I've done the song, I've done the actual work of releasing a song, and the algorithm for some reason, maybe it seems less organic, or maybe people just didn't like the song. Maybe I'm ugly now, maybe like all this, and people go, what is it that's preventing it? And I think that's where it's kind of troubling to me.
Speaker 1: I I agree, and I think that it's really hard sometimes to see the difference between the algorithm and the reader or the viewer, right because it's like what did you like? Did people actually like it? As well as the question there. There was also a YouTube video that went up a couple months ago where someone was investigating why lots of videos have a person holding the tiny microphone the level of a microphone, and it really I.
Speaker 3: Do that, no, but that's a Bloomberg TikTok account. I'd do the whole micro thing and people take the make out it's weird.
Speaker 1: Apparently algorithm likes it. Certain think that Dan over a morning brew as well. Does he holds like a full scale like old news microft. I think people need to go back to that.
Speaker 3: I love the subway takes guy has it on like a little yah yeah level.
Speaker 1: I think that that's lovely as well. But it's like I hadn't really thought about how it drives people insane, but it does. Even early days of the newsletters, it takes Matt Weinberger, friend of the show, be.
Speaker 3: Like, is this ship the people like?
Speaker 1: Just keep writing, just to ignore, just keep writing. It will grow naturally. But we've been conditioned for this thing where we're constantly even me and I try and pretend I don't get affected by stuff for this, but it's like, you see something do well or don't do well. Your natural inclination is why what can I do to it? Am I wrong? Am I? Somehow? And it's interesting how so much this comes back to the platform incentives.
Speaker 3: Right, and the human inside you assumes people don't like it, right, that's your initial reaction to it, I'd say, I always find your boss Nileli. He's always talking about how the verse just just has to be true to what it's doing and not sort of bow to any of the platforms as they go. And I think that's always been a very good lesson because I think too many media outlets we sit here and go, oh, Okay, this is the thing that's working on TikTok. We're gonna sit down and in a certain way, we're going to do it in a certain tone. And I've had previous employers where they're like, oh, just trying to do it off the cuff, and I'm like, well, when you work for them, I stress a previous employee, I would argue with my editors and saying authentic for us was to not do that. And it's a very sort of hello fellow kids thing that happened. Serious places tried to be all like hey, you know, like in the same way that when a politician like Chuck Schumer tries to do some TikTok joke, it's like it's not real, it doesn't and it's embarrassing and it's patronizing to the people. So yeah, also off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you just do something off the calf. Oh you would like me to fake spontaneity, Absolutely, I'll get But it's it gets back to the credit to Neili Hear. The term Google zero, I think is really interesting because this idea that and as you wrote about recently Day that Google is basically possibly taking away the traffic from everyone or dictating who gets traffic now in a very direct way. They're not one they control because it's a large language model, or at least controlling, it's indirect, and I think it's it's almost like a final mut like Boxer in animal Farm being marched to the glue factory, the final way you've outlived your usefulness. And I feel like the media and I, by the way, I say this with a great deal of sympathy. Yeah, you're going to chase, which would get you clicks for your click driven business. But I think you've seen where at the end or the beginning of a dark kind of like semi dark era where we're seeing the cost of orienting journalism around trends and clicks so aggressively, and we're kind of now little boomers and everything. We're seeing the natural result of orienting things around trend chasing because It's like, here's a thing that has no real resell value that owning it is just symbolic. Do you care about the show? Now? Why are you making these news stories? Well, it's because people are going to be looking for them. Why are you covering the same thing as everyone else? Because everyone's looking And there's a fair argument for that. If there is a big funding round or a big news story, of course everyone's going to cover it. And it's like the functionality of journalism. And I think this Google AI thing is it's scary, man. I think like Neela got there early. I'll give him this.
Speaker 2: The other one thing I'll say about the Google zero this idea that you know, the traffic will go down until it hits nothing.
Speaker 1: I don't think it will hit nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think for some people it has basically hit nothing. However, I will say that like and I posted this on Blue Sky, but this has just been the mo for Google and with search for years before AI overviews. The idea that Google is self dealing, right, that it creates products that then replace the things that other people were doing in search. That is old news. And it's funny that you know people are kind of that the AI overview of it all is what kind of finally makes people realize it. When I worked at the Markup, we and the story by some great former colleagues that like, measured the percentage of the first page of Google results on a phone screen, how much of that space was taken up by Google products itself, and it was like forty one percent. And that killed websites like celebrity net worth, you know what I mean, or like travel companies because Google had flights shopping, right, like all of these services that other sites were providing, Google just made its own version and they were like, we're gonna put this at the top. That's what That's what's happening with AI, which is the.
Speaker 3: Same thing with in those cases in Europe they regulated against it, right, So when when these companies come and say, oh, Europe's being so overbearing, or that's what they're talking about, right, they're talking about the fact that Google Shopping can't dominate the top twenty percent of a search page when you search for you know, iPad or whatever you know. So that's what was they were so aggrieved by. And I mean even but now with all the I mean, I was on my my brother on myself and the vantage it was I was scrolling for.
Speaker 2: Days and now they're doing the entirely AI generated whole page. Did you see this? Yeah, I forget what it's called. I would have to look it up, but they announced it last Friday, Thursday or Friday. And basically it's separate from AI mode. You search for something and it creates honestly exactly what web pages look like websites and it is you know, it'll have a section if you search I think the example they gave was like solo traveling in Japan, and the top part will be like reddit and reddit and YouTube posts, so like communities or forums. Then there will be a whole different section of the serp, the search engine result page that is, yes, that is web guide, web Guide, web Guide, and then it'll be sort of like you know, top places to go and it will pull stuff in from Expedia or not Expedia, trip Advisor, things like that. It's it basically sub sections the SERP to look like an SEO generated or like an SEO driven article. It's it's really crazy.
Speaker 1: It's the snake that is, who needs websites?
Speaker 3: No, But it's all over, isn't it?
Speaker 1: But that's the thing, it's the net. It's ironic as well because the origins of Google were based on this idea that there was too much original content for you to find it alone, and it was kind of noble. And also within the original paper they were like, yeah, if ads ever get involved with this, it's fucked. Man. Were they right? But it's this sense of they've never had much gratitude towards the web, and you made me actually think of something went with traffic dropping away. This is also if you read like Search Engine Journal and like these are great publications, by the way, you want to see some real like journalists as journalists, people that read SEO and talk to SEO people, or day Jesus Christ rusty over there. But there were so many situations where traffic has just disappeared from it from a concept and they just Google went no, not today. The idea that they're building pages like this is fascinating as well, because it's like, wow, we don't need you anymore, Yes, you fucking do, dick. What how is it going to generate the page? What's it going to be based on? And they're they're thought, I imagine, I'm guessing is likely. Oh, people won't notice. I think people will. I think they will. I think people will see AI results in, which is why the traffic's dropping and go okay. That answers my question. But I think an entire fake page people are going to be like, okay, and maybe they'll click them, but they're not going to stick around on them. They're not going to read much. It's not going to be particularly enjoyable. But maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am not wrong, because if this is an idea of something replacing the web that is Google like, that's more Google zero than anything I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Grotesque it It's just part of a pattern of reducing any need to go off that yeah, to get And one of the most egregious examples of it isn't even AI. And every time I say it, it annoys me more and more so. One of the things that some publications have been quite successful, app bloombo is one of them. New York Times famous is games, right word or connections or whatever, a little thing that would make people subscribe to the app, open the app every day, maybe catch a bit of news while they're there, right and now LinkedIn doing minigames, And I'm like, what can you explain this LinkedIn games?
Speaker 1: Because I got the pop up for the Apple News thing and I think I posted it on Instagram and I don't know what this ship is just it's but one of these LinkedIn games please walk.
Speaker 3: I mean they're just little word games. I mean, there's nothing. They're just trying to sort of do you know. I've not played the LinkedIn once, but the Apple ones just mini crossword that kind of stuff. The thing with the LinkedIn is I find quite funny is it will tell you how many of your colleagues have that, and it's like, oh, three hundred of your colleagues a Bloomberg have done the mini cross That's that's really a useful information.
Speaker 2: I imagine the crossword answer for every single day on LinkedIn is just like hustle, rise, grind or.
Speaker 3: That would be quite fun, though, Yeah, that would make me sort of go for it.
Speaker 1: That would require too much like charm and thought.
Speaker 2: But LinkedIn, if you're listening, I can write your games.
Speaker 1: Also, they added vertical video to LinkedIn evil and I think that if you post one of those, someone should come visit your house. They're like, no, I'm thinking more like the FB. It's like, what what you got on the laptop? Let me let me check that hard drive real quick. But it's it's so funny as well, because all this is just coming down to please click our website. Please don't leave our website. Our website is the most important. It almost feels just desperate, like it feels the TikTok generally. And I don't say this with any I. TikTok upsets me when I use it. I need the at the page to end. This is just a weird thing in my brain. I'm like, no, infinite makes me. I don't want to look at this forever.
Speaker 3: Have you ever reached the clip that says, hey, you've been scrolling for a while.
Speaker 1: No, see, I feel like I'm to anyone who's.
Speaker 3: Ever seen this, I've hit it. Yeah, okay, it's not the most depressing. It's so bad, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. At that point, I'm like, god, damn, I need to go.
Speaker 3: You know what about like a click? If you've been scrolling and it must be like an hour and a half, maybe I get really anxious it will please you know you've been doing this a long time.
Speaker 1: I need to hit the end. If I if I get the sense that there's no end. I'm like, I can't look at it like what I require time to end? Please.
Speaker 2: But that sort of limitless space is why we get derivative content, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like that that's kind of because people want more.
Speaker 2: People want more, and also it just if there's space, someone will fill it. Yeah, And that was kind of what I was trying to get at in my dupe story, which is like the same thing that happens on an infinite scroll feed on recommendation based social media platforms is happening to like our physical goods simply because there is Amazon space. There are Amazon pages to fill, and you need ideas the same way that a content creator needs ideas to post every single day. Like when it is so algorithmic and recommendations based and taste space, it's just like just throw whatever, and I have space there.
Speaker 1: And I hate to defend the platforms at all. I think the thing you said earlier about people did make shit content before actually really did resonate because it's there's also a degree here of yeah, there's a bunch of derivative content, but there's also consumer demand and yeah, as human beings, we want to see more of a thing we're interested in. I do think part of the unhealthy parts of the Internet is we can feel just about anything, perhaps not for the best, but it's and there's a goodness to it, as well as many alternative communities that have found good things online and then others. But it's interesting because it's fulfilling the need of needing an infinite scroll, which is a need that they created on the platforms themselves. And I also found that story interesting because you didn't really have sympathy with any Like it felt like you were empathetic for everyone, but not sympathetic to anyone. It was like you recognize why people did these things, and why people want jeups of expensive things is probably because the thing's too expensive. But then you had the skirt worn by the by Taylor Swift. Yeah, I like Scott.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I really like stories where you read it and your allegiance changes. I think that's like one of my favorite things to write. And when I when I can figure out ways to put it into that format, I really enjoy it. But yeah, I mean like I don't really love the debate going into like who's right and who's wrong, because it's just like not that helpful and not that interesting. That feels more like, you know, just gossip or something. But I like this idea that like everyone is a little bit being taken in advantage of, and everyone also sucks a bit here.
Speaker 1: And I also think that there is a certain degree of human beings take advantage of other human beings too. They rip offs the I'm the person, I'm the La Booboo whisperer. It's a great quote there, like I'm the person that can help you find the thing. There are all of these channels about how you can gambling, tips about how you can buy and resell stuff. There are ethically dubious things that pop up on the Internet, but there's also hunger for it, those people taking advantage just as much as the incentives of the platform take advantage people. I think the platforms are generally more evil because they have more capacity for harm, but that doesn't mean that these small time people would not do evil things even give and that scale.
Speaker 3: I sort of the platforms. The difference between how the platform behaves and how what people describe as what the legacy gatekeepers from you know, yesteryear, is that they don't they don't have any sort of standards of what's good right, right, So if you're you know, you know, you're running a children's television company Nickelodeon, Children's, BBC, whatever, you're not commissioning a show like Mister Beast or whatever, because you just something makes you going, oh, is this really what we want? Here? Is like, do we want to make it that everyone's obsessed with money and they're willing to sort of do these crazy stunts, embarrass themselves or whatever. And you make those decisions despite knowing that people would lap it up, people would go crazy. And I think you could say the same thing about sexualized content. You can say say the same things about about gambling. I think, yeah, you could do a great show about people gambling on sports whole.
Speaker 1: We have one of back during the Super Bowl, and many listeners did not like that he talked about sports. But it gets back to the same incentives, Like you're saying, though, it's people take advantage of people.
Speaker 3: But I think there used to be this idea that the major companies, when they're even down to say sixty minutes right on CBS, they would say, right, is this genuinely important? And do we need to do? And I think when the platforms don't apply those same standards. What it means is is that the people with just completely nonsense theories and opinions just get on that same surface where any TV producer worth their salt of tool would go, Okay, well, we're not going to put this guy on because what is qualifications? Don't you know? We don't know if he's talking gibberish or not. So there's been problems with that in terms of who gets on. But like, I think it's I think it's better maybe in some respect.
Speaker 1: No, and I think that, But you're also touching on something, which is these platforms have, despite what they're doing right now, have always acted as if they're never going to be the arbiters of what is used as content. It's just like we're helping you find stuff. But it's very clear that they're they want to be the producer or at least mimic being a producer as well. And it's very interesting all because everything we're discussing is just incentives. It's incentives and how people are drawn by it. Because you mentioned nutters like people like no, I mention utters. No, I mean just like people of dubious intent intent and content people like Curtis Jarvin or Eliza Yudkowski or these less wrong freaks they were ten years ago, they would have never had them. I would say, they would have likely not got a New York Times whatever. But I think what that is is actually a mashing between everything we're talking about, which is ten years ago there wasn't perhaps the poll of SEO. There wasn't the pool of tons of online content suggesting that we need to talk to this guy and humor him seriously. There was tons of purporting saying these people were evil. But now I genuinely think some of these things or some might get clicks, or they'll see the interviews that these people get five hundred thousand views, So they're drawn by all these new incentives versus having an actual quality bar. I do think it is funny, though, that these companies to this day are still pretending that they have no responsibility for the content they have no they have no quality standards they need to maintain, and indeed they will tweak them to whatever level. I'm not even saying that anything has changed.
Speaker 3: I mean there's been changes in the sense that they I think, well, I struggled to give Facebook too much credit on this, but you know, they definitely have made tweaks around just having you know, a regular family member talk on Facebook and that being driven to. But what they've what they've kind of pivoted to. And maybe they've done it not out of any sort of obligation to improve the problem, but because they realize now that content made by people you don't know, that's sort of made in a certain way, you're going to look at that for longer anyway, So they don't care.
Speaker 2: There's more of it. Yeah, there are more people that you don't have them do.
Speaker 3: And which is a really interesting mean I find now and the only time I get any utility from the Facebook app is when it says here's what you're doing ten years ago, And I'll take a screenshot of that, send it to whoever it was there, and go, look, can you believe that was ten years ago? And that's going to start running out soon. I think I'm going to run out of those sort of you know, membe because the people don't post it. But that time when it used to be a platform and where you'd have like a party and the next day there'd be you know, undred photos of people tagged it. I mean that feels like a completely different way.
Speaker 1: It was so nice as well, like when I got created.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: Like as angry as I am at these platforms, it's broken heart of romantic because when I got on Facebook, it was genuinely magical. Like you said, you go to a party, someone like ten ship webcam photos would be up there you see, yeah.
Speaker 3: And you.
Speaker 1: Or just like you'd see someone that you talk to for a minute and you were friends. I had tons of friends at Penn State, for example, and there was something like nice about that. And I guess that that was just before they realized how much money they could make, or before they went to public and.
Speaker 2: They realized too that you know, humans have an endless appetite for slop, not even AI slap. It's just like if you give them a scrollly feed, they will just keep going until we hit the danger zone.
Speaker 3: Which does Facebook have a danger zone?
Speaker 2: Up? I don't think so, I don't think, just like don't look at the stame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's and I think it's the shift away from their claimed utility towards the real one that they want, which is they all want to be entertainment networks. Because this concept of we ran out of stuff. That is it. It's like you go on Facebook, you check Facebook and you go, oh, this, this and this. Okay, I'm done because my utility here is social networks on Google. It like I go and look for something. People might do idle idle looking, but they're like generally with a target. Now you've TikTok was I think created within the realm of people want to see stuff like it was. It never tried to sell itself as a place where you meet your friends, a place where we interact with others. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, it was distinctly this is a place where you are not by people, you know, you know what I mean. You're posting things to to an assumed audience that does not include your parents network. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And TikTok doesn't compare to the other networks. TikTok doesn't really encourage you to post right when you when you when you, If you do one video, then it will say oh do this, this, this, this is this. But it's quite content for people just to consume if that's what they're But it's an entertainment. It's not like a huge sort of you know, nudge in the app to say, oh, get.
Speaker 1: Posting yeah, and I think we're even with Google, and it's like, what is Google anymore? Is it? Are they trying to not making it a search? Is it going? Is a place where Google serve? I mean it always was a place where Google served you ads, but now it's you were in the Google zone. And I have to wonder, if I say this with some optimism, whether someone might go, ah, what if we made a search engine that helped you find things that could be a billion two billion and your revenue business, you know it's not one hundred billion. But we also don't need to do antitrust shit every year. I'm being even saying these words out loud. I'm like, no, that's not going to happen. Arab insom.
Speaker 3: I mean, people are trying to make different I mean, Duck Duck goes kind of in that pain. But people just don't use them. That's the problem.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing. It's like, do they not use them or it's just not as many as Google use them. I'm not even saying you're wrong, it's just when you say people, you mean most people, and yeah, most people use Google. Most people stop the start their Internet journey on Google.
Speaker 3: I mean The thing that ties a lot of these platforms as problems together is the point in which they go public. It all just goes nutso right because you have I mean, Facebook is the classic example of this. It just then it just became massive growth every single quarter and that sort of and I think, I mean, this is such a sort of basic observation. I guess, but you know, I think if you applied that model to say the badega on your street, right, Okay, every year you need to grow by ten percent, imagine what that business is going to go mad? Isn't It's going to be selling porn and it's gonna be selling drug just just to just to get the margins up right, And you're thinking, we're holding that.
Speaker 1: No, this is this is the rot economy. This is the growth. It's everything everything driven around growth. It's the moment that growth must be perpetual. Because in twenty seventeen there was an internal Facebook thing. I've brought it out last last year. Big up to Jeff Orwitz Broken Code, great book where there's a whole thing where Zuckerberg he did twelve percent perpetual growth when you I'm just really sat and thought about this that is an insane fucking thing to put on a social network. I must have more friends, I must connect with more. And it's now when you look at everything, that is the incentive everything. It's not really about do we buy toys, do we search things? How do we keep people here or get the credit card? Which is I mean the age old capitalism thing.
Speaker 3: The problem was with Facebook is that people didn't have enough friends. Yes, exactly rut did constantly is that you've run out of stuff, and so then it became, ok, well, how do we make them when they're looking at this site look on it for longer. And that's when we started to get alder mad. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It was profitable before they took it public. I've read stories which suggests that Mark Zuckerberg didn't want to take it public, and I'm like fifty to fifty on whether he did, because there's enough evidence that suggests that he was quite happy with it being a fifty billion dollar public a private company. And then I think he realized, oh wait, I control this whole thing. I can never be fired. But it's like trying to give a soul to there's great.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jack Dorsey is probably the famous one. There right, he's and he's should never have been a public company, and he's right if only been of fine business. But people the vcs need their payday, right, that's the whole ecosystem could have.
Speaker 1: That's what I always wonder whether we don't have more interesting bench capital models with like revenue shares or like like something that is more interesting than if I give you a bunch of money, this might you might sell this in the future. It's it's sad, but it's you know what, I want to ask a good question. Are there any parts of the Internet you enjoy right now? I truly want to know.
Speaker 3: You should have prepped me with this one before.
Speaker 1: It's interesting having the gap.
Speaker 3: Like I'm sort of gravitating towards old style blogs, like weblogs. Do you ever see and I think, I don't know how plants. I think it's cock Oh yeah, cocky. And it's just it's just a blog. There's maybe three or four entries a day, and he's been doing it and he's.
Speaker 1: Got twenty years for a long long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's just a beautiful design and the stuff is just interesting stuff. It's kind of reminds you of the days when you just have a few.
Speaker 1: Weblogs that you'd rate since real traffic as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually it does, but it doesn't mean you couldn't launch that side today and gain populator. I think you have this sort of legacy of people that have always visited that. I actually, although I'm a new reader, so maybe I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: I kind of I agree with ninety eight percent of it. Other than I think you could do something like this, it's just that starting a new thing fucking sucks. Like that. I went, and I have some personal experience with this in I went and looked back where I was five years ago, three hundred subscribers, sixty views on my first piece. But you have to have the ability to do a bunch of shit until it makes money. And I had a main job, had a PR firm, and I think just making money in creating anything is so difficult. But I love I Actually I had not thought of it in a while. But it's just a place where someone thoughtful has said you should check this out. Kind of mimics I don't know, friendships or iconoclasts, like the idea of someone who.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a as well, Yeah, I just kind of know you're going to get it's going to be sort of mildly nerdy, but not too much so. And that's what you get when you go there. And I think it's Yeah, So when people get nostalgic for the web, I think it's that kind of discovery that they're thinking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it is the thing that I think a lot of listeners miss as well. It's like, we're not we don't just hate arbitrarily, We're not just angry. It's just there's something taken away. Like we mentioned Facebook, the quality. He also used to be Google. He used to just be able to dick around on Google and find some bizarre stuff. I remember back in college. I lost this two thousand and six, I want to say. I was in my Dustin Panganis college room mate. We randomly typed in you know, you're right by Nirvana into YouTube and there was just this I think it's like, I don't even remember it had view. It was this grainy video of this like young Asian guy seeing this like really kind of like slightly out of chewn version of somebody. It was so interesting in grim like he seemed very sad. I can never find it again. But that was the kind of internet I kind of missed, like just these arbitrary moments. So you find these weird things.
Speaker 3: You can't find that clip on YouTube, But would you be interested in two hours of Joe Rogan?
Speaker 1: Yeah, five hours because it will help.
Speaker 3: You find that. Yeah, and then if you watch that, then maybe Charlie Kirk and then you're.
Speaker 1: In the well you've learned three times of racism. You get legs from how you are on computer, on website. I won't do that for too long. That's why the episodes are so long. It's ten minutes per question. So what are you enjoying? Like?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man? I feel like there are a few content creators that I really like and really tune into. There's a woman who makes like sort of YouTube video essays that are very well researched. Her name is Mina Le and she does sort of like fashion and consumerism and culture and art and stuff. And I think she is really fun and just like, clearly I saw this thing the other day that someone was like, if you can't write a normal essay, you should not try to do video essays, and she can do It's clear she can do both, and I'm like, thank you so much, you know what I mean. So I really like her. There's another person that I follow on TikTok and other platforms named Ryan Finn, and she is also really great, also kind of writes about like kind of like a She talks about fashion and clothing and culture in a really like heady kind of It's the type of content that people who don't read would see it and be like, it's really not that deep, but it is, you know, and I appreciate that someone takes things seriously like that. There are also like corners of the Internet, even on platforms like TikTok or Instagram, that I just like find the nerds and they still are just plugging away and doing whatever they want, and their posts get like fifty views and they're fine with it, and like that's I think where it's special where I don't like it when I follow a creator and suddenly everything is sponkn or I follow a creator and clearly they're just sort of like jumping on trends. I also like websites where there's still like new content being posted, but you can clearly find the markings of like two thousand and six, Like I'm a big knitter and ravelry is the was the place to find knitting patterns in like the early to mid two thousands, and sometimes I'll find photos clearly from that era and it's like really delightful, you know what I mean, Like they were posting to a different Internet. They were thinking of the web as a completely different.
Speaker 1: Space before the algorithms.
Speaker 2: I imagine, before the algorithms. And ravelry also like it has some algorithmic stuff, but like a lot of it is sort of pure. I think they're like forums, you know what I mean, people post on.
Speaker 1: But this is why one of my favorites is baseball perspectives. I know you're a Dodger fan.
Speaker 2: Right, Dodgers they suck right now, everyone's really everyone.
Speaker 1: That's a dead But baseball perspectus I think has looked the same way since it was made, and it's just like really specific, nutty stuff. But I think you can even see it in sports. You've got people like Chad Mariama over at Dodgers Digest. I think it is you've got these like really specific and you know that they're probably doing okay, but they're not like millions of views every month or anything. But you've got this kind of niche strength and my hopium I snort aggressively, is that these will never stop being made because they're still being made now. There's never been a more bleak time to make niche specific content and keep making it. But people keep doing it. I mean Carl Brown from Internet at Bugs, he like does the most straightforward thing and just talks and it's great and he has a growing audience. But you can he does very specific developer Folcus stuff with a very straightforward explanation, lovely fella and it's nice seeing those and it's what gives me a bit of hope because if those people, if you never find any of that stuff anymore, if everything is just mainstream, I think that's terrifying. But even look at gamers Nexus, Big Hot, Steve Burke over the Legend Heart run Box as well, you've got millions of subscribers. There is there is hunger for this stuff.
Speaker 3: There's hunger for like passionate people story turning out. Even I mean, I was always a big fan of British guy Tom Scott. I feel like you might have and he's done that for years and years, made YouTube video and he did he did like twenty minutes on the design of the British plug for like an outlet and how it's got this video and it makes the case that is, you know, one of the finest things that Britain's ever come with, because you know, you can't electrocute yourself by putting it in all sort of stuff. And I remember what you're thinking. I've just watched fifteen minutes about the history of the plug and I but he was. He's just such a sort of arresting, interesting guy. Bona fide nerd, but a great presenter. One of the things I take from the sort of substack era, if you like, is like I imagine, and I'm not going to make you get into numbs, but imagine the Verge with its paywalk now has a lot of people saying, oh, why are you pay warning? And I find it really interesting that when big publications put up a paywall, everyone gets a little bit mad, right they say that, you know, and like, whenever I post a link the Bloomberg's was like, oh, it's pay And yet when one person launches a substack and says, right, this is ten bucks a month, Oh my god, they kind of go great, good for you, definitely get behind you. And I think what that's showing us is one is a kind of you know, middle finger to the mainstream media. Fine, But then the second thing maybe is that I think people have respect for depth and niche and real Well, yeah, because I think I think they want to sort of they love the idea that someone gives up and gives up, you know, a steady thing goes into a substat I mean, I think of Paul Krugman, who left The New York Times. I remember thinking, I remember thinking, Okay, Paul, you're being a cranky old man just because the editors don't want you to do that. But now his substack is brilliant. He goes to such length.
Speaker 1: Please get him in touch with me.
Speaker 3: But it's great, and I think I'm much more inclined to chuck you know, when when when The New Times wants to upgrade my subscription, I'd rather send that to Paul on his own. Get the entirety of this, because.
Speaker 1: You're incentivizing this individual voice and you know, the person kind of parasocially.
Speaker 3: And the way that I think bigger publications kind of lean intoight is to have these sort of nations version following right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, everyone should follow me on the Verge so you can follow me and all the topics I write about. But I'm glad you said that, Dave, because I think that is it shows a thing that mass media, big media companies have failed to do, which is explain what we're actually doing day to day. And I that's why I am active on TikTok, you know what I mean. I talk to people who will never probably read my story and probably will never subscribe to the Verge. Truthfully, some do, thank you so much, but a lot of them will just watch my videos and that is a way for me to explain to them what it takes for me to write a story. This is how I talk to people. This is like I think people don't realize that, like when I'm writing stories, I'm actually sometimes going in person to interview the person, you know what I mean. Like it's and I don't blame them really for not knowing, because media has done a really bad job of explaining it historically. And I hope that you know, folks who read my work know that, Like I'm I'm a I'm one person and I write these stories and obviously there's copy editors and editors and photo editors and you know like dev folks who make my stories come to life, but like we are just people making shit that we like and we think is worth your time. And every media company should be showing that off you.
Speaker 1: Made a really you made a post quite like maybe it was last year forgive me where it was saying we're kind of journalists are seeding ground to content creators who are reusing their stuff. And I think it comes down to a failure of not saying anything specifically about any given out there. But I failed to failure to realize that people want people. They want to read people. They and I think that large broadsheets tend to fail. Actually, I will give big props to the ft for doing this, that they let their freak flags fly, Bryce Elder the Legend and like Alphaville as well, because people want to read people. And I think that what should be table stakes now is that every outlet should get everyone a good microphone, get everyone a good camera media, train them up a bit so that they can sound good and represent the work of the publication in a personal way that makes people more willing to understand. There's a paywall, which is a reasonable thing, whether however you feel about the Verge or any other outlet. Yeah, money, the things cost money to do. Money money so expensive.
Speaker 2: It's really fucking expensive to write six thousand word features. That's like months of my time, many many people's you know, work and resources. And I think also, like if we don't fill that, and I know a lot of people disagreed with me when I said, like we're seeding ground, and people didn't like it for a lot of valid reasons. But if we are not there, something will fill the space. I was basically just sick of seeing my stories super you know, behind someone's head.
Speaker 1: And you made this point very clearly. It's what you said, like if someone taking my stuff.
Speaker 2: Someone taking my stuff, Yeah, exactly, it's someone taking my stuff. It's they're misrepresenting it, getting basic facts wrong. And like I have thirty minutes in my day, I will just make the fucking video, you know what I mean? Like, I don't care.
Speaker 1: They should get it. There should be the space for they should have, Like I whole radio gives me a studio at least, because it's like, oh, imagine what want to do it in studio? Thing? What make for good content? It's just when you have resources, share them. Are you going to say something.
Speaker 3: Well, I think part of all of this as well is showing the process is the most It travels almost more than the story, right, and it breathes a ton of trust. I mean, I'm always surprised you can be, you know, in in rooms of people who are, you know, incredibly success and they're still they'll ask the most like rudimentary questions about the journalistic process, like oh, who tells you what to write? And I'm like, God, my job would be much easier if someone did tell me what to write. It being the other way around, things like do you people let people read things? I think it's going into the process is really really useful. And I always there was I was a dinner thing once and this one guy made this point I thought, was I've always thought of when they're talking about this is if you said to somebody, when was journalism in America the most trusted? Right they can my assumption most people would say water Gate, Ye, the thing? And he said no, it wasn't Watergate that made and trusted. It was a very good film about Watergate that made journalism and trusted, because all that film was was just them trying to get this stuff in the paper and them going through hell to make it happen. And if you want a more modern example, that the book she said by the New York Times reporters that did the Jeffrey Epstein. Sorry, no, Harvey Weinstein, I get, but their book they knew what Harvey Weinstein had done within about ten pages of the first chapter, right it was getting the rest of the book was getting in the newspaper. And I just think that is the more of that process that journalists share off the cuff constantly is super powerful. That's what Twitter used to be very good. There's a big shift in newsrooms among bosses that went hold on a second, the official account is getting no engagement, but when this random person on one of our UK desks starts tweeting about it, that gets loads of pickup. Why is that? It's because people respect hearing the process more than the end result the events.
Speaker 1: They want to also know. And I know that this is difficult for different Like your opinion stuff is fucking fantastic. By the way, at Bloomberg, It's really like Bloomberg has actually been very impressive in how they've grown out the opinion stuff. So this is not a detraction of that I, at least in my writing, have found that people really like to know why you care. And I think that explaining that even on here talking about your work, it's like hearing it just a little bit about the things that draw you into the story. I think it's so powerful. It's also people love it. I mean after c yes, I know, I see like Victorious Song and Das Sheerlyn Lowe, both of them get the loveliest comments and people, I just found your work for the show. It's lovely. And it's also I feel like most readers like to know and appreciate. It's not like most people are like, oh, these fucking idiots just ti when they actually know what goes into it. I feel that there's more goodness in people around this than they know. And now you've made that comment about watergain and be thinking about it all fucking days.
Speaker 3: It's such a good point.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to wrap it there. It's been so one of for having you both me and what can people find you?
Speaker 2: I'm on Blue Sky, TikTok, Instagram, and the Verge dot com, where again you can follow me, Dave.
Speaker 3: I'm one of all those places except these dot com I'm Blueberg dot com slash Opinion, but Insta.
Speaker 1: And I must recommend both of their work. Both of you are to my favorite right, no, like, I'm actually so excited I got this one of my favorite episodes recorded. I'm just gonna be honest. I am ed Zeitron. You can find me on the podcast The Better Offline. You go Better offline dot com, click newsletter, click all this stuff, get the challenge coin if you want, but really, just I'm so grateful to have all of you, love you all, Thank you for listening, and then you can hear it say thank you for listening again. I'm going to get an email. I'm going to ignore it. I'll respond thank you for listening, but thank you for listening. Thank you for listening to Better Offline. The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Metasowski. You can check out more of his music and audio project at Mattasowski dot com m A T T O S O W s ki dot com. You can email me at easy at Better offline dot com, or visit Better Offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course, my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot Where's youreaed dot at to visit the discord and go to our slash Better Offline to check out our reddit. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: Better Offline is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.