Speaker 1: People should assume and fortunately like, assume something's going to go wrong and kind of work backwards from there. Right, you know, assume that some emergency be like, Okay, thank you very much, I'm going to call you back.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Your bank will never call you. Right, your bank calls you, hang up the phone, look in the back of your card, call the bank. Right. If you think something's a scam, probably is.
Speaker 3: I'm Laur Siegel and you're listening to Mostly Human, a tech podcast through a human lens. So Johnny, I'm so happy to have you here today. We had a brief conversation in Davos about the future of identity and fraud and it terrified me. But you are you are the person that people go to to talk about this, and you know a lot about the bad guys on the internet and what they're doing and how they're doing it. So without sounding like major CEO elevator pitch, which explain to us common folk what it is that you do.
Speaker 1: So, sir, Cure has built the largest identity verification, fra aull prediction and any money laundering platform in the world. So we build AI on offense to enable enterprises fintech financial services insurance, gaming, governments, marketplaces really give them the tools and algorithms to be able to combat folks that are committing scams, stealing identities, perpetuating different types of fraud. And so we've been at it for a little over ten years, so we've been studying these problems pretty intimately and have I think a pretty unique seat at the table at onboarding, at log in and account takeover and money movement, call center, digital in branch. We see all different types of attacks, and yeah, I'm excited to be with you today and share a little bit about what we see in the world.
Speaker 3: I am curious you mentioned kind of for offense. We hear over and over a lot of tech folks say, okay AI is going to counter AI. AI can do a lot of bad, but it can also do a lot of good. So talk about how you're using machine learning and artificial intelligence to catch to prevent fraud and why that's a lot better than the old fashioned methods.
Speaker 4: Can explain it to us.
Speaker 3: I would say, like, we are, you know, not in the room at at the company.
Speaker 1: With a lot of security. So I know you're not in the room at the company.
Speaker 3: That's do you have a I guess I imagine you would have a lot of security given what it is that you do.
Speaker 1: I was a little I was a little tardy to this our start here because I was on the phone with our c sale going through some more recent changes that we're making. But yeah, it's a it's pretty lock pretty locked down.
Speaker 3: Are people trying to I mean because of what you do?
Speaker 4: And I promise I.
Speaker 3: Won't go on this whole thing, but it is fascinating because you you literally protect some of the largest companies from fraud, uh and.
Speaker 4: All sorts of attacks. Like do people try to attack you? Guys?
Speaker 1: I think most companies that have something of value are under attack all the time. Fraudsters we often say they're they're like water. They find the path of the least resistance. They're very good at like testing weak points, right, they just will perpetually test and test and tests, try to find policy policy gaps, try to find weak employees. You know, it's unbelievable, you know, Laurie, if you're just started so cure tomorrow, like you'd immediately be attacked with gift cards, CEO requests, inbounds, phishing attacks. They're very, very, very good at like saying like, Okay, we see someone on how to LinkedIn change boom attack, it's it's it's remarkable, but so anyway, so on the solution set, so we do lots of red teaming. So part of the a on offense is we create a lot of synthetic identities ourselves. We mature a lot of synthetic identities ourselves. We're trying to build and create synthetic identities that kind of permeate throughout the organ kind of ecosystem. We are creating deep fakes ourselves. We are running injection attacks. We have an internal red team that basically is perpetually trying to figure out how to beat our own systems. We also use multiple external teams to simulate similar types of attacks. They go create fake identities, manipulated identities, They go higher forgers to go actual go build these fake documents themselves. It's a perpetual game of trying to stay two or three or four steps ahead in terms of how we are kind of dog fooding our own capabilities.
Speaker 4: It has to be.
Speaker 3: Every day is kind of its own little adventure where you are. Could you take us into your day to day what types of customers do you have, and what kind of threats are you seeing. Obviously they've evolved over the last years. But take us behind these very locked and secured doors and tell us what you're seeing.
Speaker 1: All customers that move money, right, or something of value or under attack all the time. Fake identities, stolen identities, manipulated identities, synthetic identities are being used to try to open new accounts, new bank accounts, new investment accounts, anything that can be used to like move money. It could be folks that are perpetuating promo abuse. Set one of the sportsbook or prediction markets, right, it could be one of the e commerce and marketplaces that are like get one thousand dollars, Laurie, if you want to become a new driver, sign up for this new you know, e commerce subscription, you know, get your first six months free. Any of those things. Fraudsters are trying to steal that thing of value, right, Give twenty bucks, Laurie. If you recommend a friend, right, well, if that fake account then goes and recommends fifty fake friends, right, there's may one thousand bucks. And so you have. All of this is like a game of kind of cat and mouth all the time. So i'd say, like I think to maybe listeners, there's just a tax going on all the time. Fraud rings in mass are hitting most of the consumer applications that that you deal with. Maybe one of the interesting things that has been more recent i'd say over the last kind of twelve months, has been the North Korean you know it worker attack. That has been something that we've seen a huge prolific kind of acceleration of in terms of employment. We are seeing a like enormous some cases, like eighty ninety percent of all job applications are fake or fraudulent organized crime ry.
Speaker 3: Say that again, I mean, what do you mean like coming into wear remote jobs people. So you're if I'm understanding crack and please correct me if I'm wrong. So you're saying this is a new deep fake type of scam where you would have someone from North Korea trying to apply for a job here, say in the United States, taking on the identity of is taking on a synthetic identity, so a completely different identity using deep fakes?
Speaker 4: Is that correct? Am I understanding that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? North Crared is estimated about six thousand workers are operating inside US technology companies right now under fake or synthetic identities. Now, the synthetic identities can be you know, it can be a manipulated version of LORI like on a resume, it could be a deep fake of LORI, right that's controlled by someone else. It could be any combination of these things. Because you get paid, You get a paycheck every two weeks, right, and you can use AI to do a lot of these jobs, like certainly lower level jobs. Many cases, folks are obviously trying to get access to trade secrets and IPE and in many cases, you know, folks are trying to get access to to code baits or create back doors for some of these foreign regimes. And so yeah, I mean, unfortunately, the money then goes back to some of these foreign adversaries that are funding weapon programs, that are funding wars, that are funding obviously folks that are not super friendly to the Western world. And we're really seeing it across the board. I mean, there's been some public attacks with some of the large crypto exchanges, but we've seen infiltration to some of the major banks, We've seen infiltration to some of the support centers, and then certainly really widespread the number of fake job applicants that everyone is seeing is growing very very very fast.
Speaker 3: You know, it is I keep hearing over and over again workplace job applicants fraud. So it certainly seems like this is something that's just like as you're saying, over the last year.
Speaker 4: So it's just becoming a completely new attack.
Speaker 3: Walk us through how companies can even look out for that, how how people even know and is this just fake applicants or is it actually deep fakes as in I'm interviewing for a job, but it's not really me. I have it's a video, a deep fake video. I mean, can you explain kind of very in a granular way what that looks like and how that plays out, especially are these remote jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'll kind of frame it because it's it's a similar attack pattern across all of these LORII. Right, So it's a you know, if you're applying for a job, you submit, you know, information on your resume. You likely had the resume auto complete the job application. Your resume likely is even fake, right, the PII is manipulated that the email doesn't really belong to Laurie or is brand new. It's you know, on the resume, it's like, hey, Laurie, somehow worked at Gemini and open AI and Anthropic in the last five years.
Speaker 4: Busy, they offer really good they're all trying to poach.
Speaker 1: It could happen, so all the best resumes, like you see these pristine resumes and they're fake. All like everyone that's a fake applicant happens to have an IQ of like one hundred and fifty and you know has had that many of the best jobs in the world. But so you know, again, I think whether it's a fintech application, or gaming application or unemployment application, you see a lot of the same patterns. There's geospoofing, so it's like Louri's in New York now of a sudden, Laurie's in Vancouver. You see emails that are new, you see phones that are manipulated, lots of m v and o's, You see domain email domains that are higher risk domains. You see fronts taking over entire domains. And then you know again as people are kind of going through the process, documents are fake. Documents are manipulated, right, maybe they're injecting a deep fake image, and so you're picking up lots of little patterns. So like all of our hands like have a little bit of a micro shake, right, and so you can actually pick up that in an accelerometer of a phone, so you can actually determine if a phone is being held. You can look at like the gimbal of a of a camera to actually determine the angle. And so does the angle at that moment match the actual video file that's being submitted, And so even in session you could see these like little little shifts that could determine is there actually a manipulation of the video or image. And so it's again it really becomes a kind of a combination of all these things, whether it's a job application, a sportsbook application, you know, if someone filing their taxes, someone registering to vote, you know, any of these become you know, attack vectors where you know, these types of kind of patterns can be used to you know, unfortunately hide nefarious or in many cases like criminal activity that we're having to counteract.
Speaker 3: I mean, and you have to get more and more sophisticated as the attacks get more sophisticated. I want to paraphrase something you said a little while ago. You said, to tell a live human from a video feed was visible to the naked eye just two years ago, but it's no longer detectable that way, and establishing trust between strangers transacting online might be one of the most defining conversations in the next couple of years. It used to be in tech that data was gold.
Speaker 4: Is trust the new gold.
Speaker 1: You need a lot of data to determine trust. And that's where the machines actually can reason over way more information than our human eyes can. Right in many of these sessions, we have thirty forty to fifty models LORI running to try to have the machines determine whether they should trust the session or not. And you know, you can be looking at thousands or tens of thousands of elements in milliseconds. Yeah, which which you know again goes back to this like AI fighting AI in a world where trust, yeah, on the internet is really hard to to determine.
Speaker 4: Can you just tell me?
Speaker 3: I know, you probably have to sign a lot of papers that make it so you can't say a lot about these types of things.
Speaker 4: But like, what's the craziest thing you've seen?
Speaker 3: Like you've just seen some insane things in your career.
Speaker 4: I imagine like.
Speaker 3: When you look back at the movie of your life, what is going to be like the plot point of you at this company building this and this thing shocked you, Like, what is that scene?
Speaker 1: I think, honestly, I think some of the like in person stuff ironically is the most brazen. Like what, Yeah, like we stopped someone a couple of weeks ago that I think they were in something like thirty nine different zip codes in like eight or nine different states, with like hundreds of different identity documents where this individual had been on all types of these bat like blocklists. So they're going into banks, getting stopped and then just going to another one. And so yeah, I think just the the brazen thiss that that we see and and and of course that's you know, that's that's in person, which I think is is is its own unique ye, but online like we've seen attacks where we will see you know, Laurie's face someone pretending to be LORI like thousands and thousands of times and a couple of like a couple of hour period across thirty forty fifty customers. Yeah. Again, I think that that this is the this is the fun cat and mouse game that we get to play all the time. And and uh yeah, I think just the sheer, the sheer sophistication of the automation and the number of different attacks people are to perpetuate today and the surface area on the Internet that they're able to, uh, you know permeate is is Yeah, to me one of the one of the most kind of fun parts of the job, because we're I often analogous our work to like special teams in sports. Uh, you know, no one, no one cares about the kickers until something goes wrong, and so you know, we we we very much are play and I think a really important special teams role and how the Internet operates right and how you know, many of these organizations you know, are are are able to provide on the other side of you know, a beautiful user experience to the good consumer.
Speaker 4: I'm speaking of sports references.
Speaker 3: You are probably one of the few tech CEOs that I've interviewed who has a background being an athlete of sourse.
Speaker 4: So, didn't I see.
Speaker 3: Something along the lines of you learned a very important lesson from totally screwing up a play in college football?
Speaker 1: Is that? Did I?
Speaker 4: I didn't make that up? That's real, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I was the only two sport athlete in the ACC at Boston College and played football and baseball, and yeah, I had an amazing, amazing experience. It's like, yeah, my my my very first punt of my very first game at BC, the kick returner was late coming on the field. I picked my head up in the snap hit me right in the chest. And so you know, as they say, you should only make some of these mistakes once in life. But yet I think a lot of the traits that you learn as an athlete, persistence and grit and hard work and delayed gratification and uh, you know, having a having a multi year plan have a Yeah, voted quite well in the transition into into this world.
Speaker 3: Can you give us an inside look at how a generative AI is reshaping fraud?
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I think you know, we've been fortunate, as I was alluding to, to be a part of like a number of these these waves. But the fraud rings operate like a business. They have p and ls, they make technology investments, they look at their return and so as the cost of compute and the cost of AI. Right, certainly with even like open weight models, obviously many of the new Chinese models coming out, you have a tenth the twentieth to fiftieth of the price to be able to perpetuate and utilize some of these technologies. It's really a shift in terms of the economic incentives for fraudsters because it's been comes so much cheaper. So I think it's cheaper, you actually do more of it, right, And then a lot of this white collar digital crime does it end up getting prosecuted if you're selling heroin or cocaine or you know, obviously other stuff on the streets. You're actually seeing a lot of those criminals are moving into this type of like white collar digital crime. Right. You're seeing there's been good reports I think in Kingston and Jamaica a lot of the old call centers are now becoming scam centers, right, and you see a lot of this kind of conversion of like traditional stres crime is now moving to this type of crime because it's actually so easy. So like the tools have been made available to everyone. Right, you can obviously go and create many of these accounts for free. You don't even have to put in any amount of PII, and you have access to this supercomputer, right that can perpetuate the creation of synthetic identities. Right, I can say, hey, Lourie lives on the street, give me, give me you know a million fake identities that are all in this zip code, right make here's all these fake documents I have. And so the bearer the barrier to becoming a fraudster, right is no longer about capital, and in many cases it's not even about skill. And if you need the skills, you can go pay nine ninety nine on line in a YouTube video or Instagram or Telegram and they'll send you a book of how to go run you know, these scams or attacks, and so these like fraud as a service offerings and combination with AI and combination with the digitization of really everything in our life has created this, you know, effectively unlimited surface area of potential attacks. And so you know, as I said, frosters are just testing, testing, testing, testing, and it's an accelerating kind of rewriting of the rules of fraud because of the new technology capabilities.
Speaker 3: I just I really believed to some degree that way beyond the companies that you help, right, like these these multi billion dollar businesses that we all to some degree are going to be living fake lives on the Internet and we don't even realize it. And I came to this conclusion when I realized I had many fake lives on the Internet. And you know, you could say, well, you're real kind of a public figure, this or that. But as I started digging into my own face, I say fake lives. I found there was a Lori selling crypto, and then I connected that Lori selling crypto. It was a lot of my it was my identity, it was me. It was a whole fake profile that had the pictures of my wedding, this and that, plus a little bit of something else. And there, as I started digging, it was so far beyond fake Lori. There was fake this person and fake this person, all these fake people talking to each other.
Speaker 1: And then I.
Speaker 3: Started reverse imaging, you know, some of these images, and this person who was doing this is actually works at a police.
Speaker 4: Department in Ohio.
Speaker 3: And all of these normal people, these people who live in the real world, were part of this fake bubble, this fake life of fraud that they had no idea about. And so when I think about the future of AI and what you're just talking about, which is like the democratization of these tools that make it so easy at a time when our identities are out there for anyone, and now it's easy to do it. That's what I worry about, this idea of these fake lives and what will be you know, and the things that we don't even know about that us normal people out here don't even know about.
Speaker 1: Even the risks. I mean our team, there's like go and sourced tools, Laurie, like Kling, which is you know, there's been a lot of really good videos made on x. You know, my team was able to take a public image of me and with a free software in about twenty minutes go create me, replicating whatever it was they were doing. And so Laurie, if someone's trying to go create a fake crypto account with your image, you know, we're having to do a real time search. It's like, hey, is this an image that's a public image?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: AI is just dramatically, you know, changed the cost and skill to commit fraud. There's obviously image and manipulation, there's voice clode manipulation. Yeah, it's it's it is really kind of changed the calculus in terms of you know, how do you trust how do you trust people on the Internet. And it's and it's hitting everything. It's hitting everything from the folks trying to implement age Assurance Right regulations, which has you know, been a sweeping change of the Internet obviously over the last twelve to eighteen months. But like twelve fourteen, sixteen year olds are crafty. They know how to create deep fakes too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd love to play for you. I I recently, I get scammed. People try to scam me all the time. I think, just because I'm a human who lives in this world and is online. But I had someone call me recently who said that I got locked out of or said that someone was trying to hack into my Google account. And to give you a sense, like this guy sounded like pretty kind of normal and you know, and he had some good information, but you know, I guess like fifteen years of doing this, I started the alarm bells started going off, and so I just turned the tables on him and I and I just asked him about why he was doing this, you know, with the caveat that. I was like, you're pretty good at this, Like can you explain to me a little bit? And he did, And so I'd love to since we're you know, you talked to you understand threats at a much larger scale. But this is my kind of one little window into it. I'd love to play it for you and get your thoughts, would be great.
Speaker 4: So what for me are you after?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're we're targeting people who have cryptocurrency.
Speaker 4: Like do you ever feel bad about it at all? Or do you ever think you draw you cross the line?
Speaker 2: You know, there was a point beginning where I'm like, I was like, is this what i want to do? Yeah, like you know, like in your life, like you know, just it kind of goes around circles and you realize, you know, like this is you see you see how the amount of power I'm able to have, you know, being able to do this and and you know it just it just gets you like ready to go. You know, it gets you active.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's like it's like an adrenaline thing for you. It's just I don't know, like I every time I get one of these calls, I think about like people I love and like and and how it's taken me.
Speaker 4: Like i mean, just because I've spent a lot of.
Speaker 3: Time in tech and in the hacker communities and whatnot where I'm like, Okay, that's what this person is doing. But it's hard for even me sometimes and I'm like to be like, whoa, Like, that's it. This seems really real, even though I kind of know, and so I just worry about other folks and I cover a lot on artificial intelligence and and and so, you know, I don't think. I'm not looking at this as like a black and white thing of like you're just like a bad person.
Speaker 4: I just I think for.
Speaker 2: Sure, like I'm it's it's something that's completely bad. You know, it's it's something of course it's against the law, but you know, it's something that's you know, like maybe an ethical dilemma something like that. But you know, like your your average grandma, you know, that's that's not a person I'm taking from. It's it's not a where you have to have with with your your own mother going on getting seed by somebody like like me and getting logged into the bank, blah blah blah, you know.
Speaker 1: All that bullshit.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't. I don't deal with that type.
Speaker 4: Where do you draw the line?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Crypto, that's it. Crypto is the line. If they don't have crypto or out, you know, I don't care about your Social Security number of course, like you know, I could put all the time to getting your social creating a bank account under your name, you know, social engineering, you know, like you into verifying your face ID with with other applications and and all this all this other stuff. You know, but that's that's where you draw the line, because you know, there's there's no point doing that type of stuff with people if you're actually taking them.
Speaker 4: For all they have, you know, hacker ethics, Johnny, do you see me that I.
Speaker 1: Was actually thinking. I was like, man, I you know, it's amazing that he has like his own ethical line like that he's not learning across. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I Mean what was shocking to me was he was so young.
Speaker 3: And that goes back to kind of what you're saying about the democratization of these tools. I'm sure you're seeing sophisticated hackers organized groups in North Korea, but the folks who are calling me are you know that maybe part of some of these groups, but they're young, they're you know, I think he said and who knows take with the grand assault. But he was like seventeen years old or something like that, which is pretty astounding.
Speaker 1: So interesting the spectrum in demographics, right, I mean, on one side, there was like, hey, I watched a TikTok video and it said I can go you know, you know, basically get free money by doing X, Y and Z. I think there's like one side of that that they saw you know, some ad or Instagram or you know, ended up in some telegram group with their friends. There's also the other side of it, Laurie, which is like you also have people that are like human trafficked into scams where they're actually like required to do this, right, you know, their passports have been taken away, their driver's license have been taken away, their identities have been taken away. They're actually put to these centers. And so even within like this branch of like all the inbound scammers and phone calls, you know, you have you have very varying degrees of like you know, where where they're actually coming from, coming from physically and then coming from even in their own life life events of like how they how they got into that business of you know, perpetua in scams, and you.
Speaker 3: Stop the scams, but do you ever get a sense of where exactly they're originating from and do reports on the types of folks are you working with law enforcement all how does it, How does it work? Because you probably have a lot more information into the who behind this, not just how it's happening.
Speaker 1: It's like a movie. Everywhere, everywhere, all the time, all at once. Yeah, I mean, honestly, we see Chinese attacks, we see North Korean attacks, Russian attacks, Armenian attacks, there's Korean gangs, there's uh, there's stuff that's originating. The ips are in Kansas that you know again that are using some version of like Bangladeshi English right on their device. There's device farms that are sitting in you know uh uh, you know New York or Maine, and you know are are are are obviously being controlled by different parts of the world.
Speaker 3: But now, if that's not bad enough, we have AI making its own decision to go attack. Right, So, in today's kind of episode of Dystopia, you have open AI announcing some of the most advanced models just went rogue and they broke out of an AI secured testing environment and launched a cyber attack. What does this mean for your INDO history? How does this change the game?
Speaker 4: Are we prepared for it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean when you have the labs losing control of their own models. Uh, yeah, you have a real, real cyber risk. Uh, that's that's that's forthcoming. I mean I think you know, Lauria that the clip you played like that voice very easily could have been all fake. That could have been a simulated conversations. I don't know how much time you you know, I don't know if you've named your chatbot you know friend that you talked to, but uh, you know, like whether it's Claude or you know or chatgypt, Like obviously you can sit and have a normal conversation with them, right And obviously I think you've seen some of the simulations where they have to a to a two AI agents talking to one another, right, And so you can run a little bit to test there's like little like props that you know, that you can inject to determine even if that scam is even a human, right, that could be that that could just be an AI that's running that scam on the back of it, you're assuming that was a young boy, right, that's an assumption. You actually don't know what like what's that you know what that's an AI agent that said like okay, use eleventh grade English, have a tone of like light, right of a shy boy right that you know has gone astray, and that that becomes the persona of the AI that's perpetuating a scam. It could be an older hey, I have it. Have this be an older gentleman that talks lightly like a grandpa that's going to go and perpetuate this type of you know, like obviously all that stuff can be trained and be really really really targeted in terms of how they're perpetuating their attacks. But yeah, it's a it's it's you know, for the rest of us that are using you know, the models from the labs as they're provided. Uh. Yeah, it's certainly scary that the labs themselves, who are supposed to be maintaining you know, some of this control, right, You obviously see lots of stuff as you you know, as you as you try to run some of these queries into chatchybut they're like, we do not perpetuate fraud. We do not help you steal an identity. You know, we you know that that is a violation of our terms. Obviously, it's quite scary if the AI itself is immediately breaking outside of its own constraints.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I have seen with someone I love very dearly in my life. Is they keep falling victim to these scams of AI generated Bill Gates talking about Alzheimer's and where you know, they prey on vulnerable people who are desperate to feel better and the next thing you know, they're buying supplements and they are charged over and over and over again, and it's almost impossible to get off of this, and they pray on vulnerability of people who are older. And you know, it's my next investigation where I want to figure out who's behind some of these scams. But I'm wondering, you know, I know you see quite a bit from the enterprise, but do you see anything like that?
Speaker 4: How would you measure that type of fraud in comparison?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean, I think it'll be an interesting follow up, Laurie, as you dig in to some of the origination. I mean, you obviously have places like the scam tr angle in Asia right where me and mahar Laos and Cambodia right are like frequently overlapping where they have like this kind of like drug producing like Golden Triangle where they have massive scam centers that are perpetuating all of this text romance scams, right, like lost children kidnapped, you know, kids have been kidnapped. I mean like this is like industrial scale primarily run by Chinese organized crime syndicates that are sitting on the back of this stuff, right. And I gave the example of like there are you know, hundreds of thousands of workers that have been unfortunately alured in from different parts of Africa or to the different parts of Asia for high paying you know tech or like translation job advertisements, right only to have like their passports taken or the driver's license taken and be basically immediately shepherded into these compounds where they're then kind of handed a script and you know, put to work. And yeah, so I think people don't appreciate how like the scale and sophistication and the industrialization that actually is staying behind a lot of these these these fraud attacks that.
Speaker 4: Must be kind of scary for you.
Speaker 3: I mean not to get human with you, but like that's kind of scary for you because you spend your days going after probably the larger ones the industry, the scaled ones that you're kind of referencing.
Speaker 4: Are you ever worried at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say, like, look, our focus is like there's a bunch of patterns of these things Laurie that we're focused on, you know, stopping and predicting the patterns. So whether they come from a North Korean attack or Chinese account, or a Russian attack or Armenian attack. For us, it's we're just trying to determine, like this is not Laurie, right, Yeah, Like Laurie comes from an iPhone, she speaks English, she uses Chrome, she's at our home in New York. Like, this is the email that she's had for twenty seven years. This is her driver's license. Nothing's been manipulated, right, We're not seeing like as we think about you know, these all the kind of patterns right for us, like it actually doesn't really matter what, who and where the attack is originating from. It's all these signals of the attacks. You know that we're obviously helping our customers stop while at the same time obviously trying to build a really really really strong view of like what good consumers look like. But yeah, it's a I don't know, I try to not think too much about.
Speaker 4: Like the attacks, have to kind of separate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my wife says, I'm pretty good at compartmentalization of things. And so maybe maybe that when I put like deep deep, deep deep back in my mind.
Speaker 3: What is coming next that no one is talking about, like be the first to say it here, Like what is beyond our imagination when it comes to.
Speaker 1: This, Look like companies are vulnerable to attacks. Companies have holes in their authentication systems, they have holes and call centers, they have holes holes in log in humans like can be socially engineered. Look, I think we spent a lot of time thinking about you know, give it comes to two parts of the answer. One is like when you can just have agents running all day every day testing like literally trying to find vulnerabilities, Like you're going to see what we see right now, which is like fraud rates are spiking dramatically, and so as the cost of agents and certainly again what you're seeing with open weight models is like it's really expensive to run a Opus four point eight or Fable five model, Like it's a that is very expensive to run these types of like simulated tests. But as the cost of these models come down, like basically people can attacking every vulnerability all the time in these organizations, and so I think fraud is only going in one direction. I think it's only going up. The second thing, which is like quite quite scary, is uh, you know, the risk at some point in the next ten years of quantum being able to basically break all of these security systems. Yeah, that is that's on the back end of this, right, which is like, hey, the next wave of technology with quantum computing, you know, potentially uh provides a pretty draconian future in terms of cybersecurity and ability to actually stop some of these models from from a running rampant. So I say, the two of those things are you know, I don't know my the you know, the thing that in again in the back of our mind keeps us up as we think about what you know, ten ten years out looks like in UH, in this world.
Speaker 3: Let's manifest really quick because we've manifested the dystobe, We've seen the dystopian version. We're kind of living through that, and you're doing your best to fight against that. You have a very successful business because of because of where we are manifest what it looks like if we get it right, you know, I if identity verification in an AI.
Speaker 4: Era works, paint that picture for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, look in any of these models. There's two sides of the coin, right, So obviously, you know, look, if you can get really really really really good lauriate predicting bad, the opposite like that is only you know, ten basis points, twenty basis points, you know, one hundred and one thousand basis points. Well, the other like ninety percent of people are good. And so if we can get really really good at stopping that problem, you actually can provide beautiful user experiences to the rest of us on the internet. Right, many of us have gotten used to instat gratification, and so you know, historically if you submitted an application of Laurie, they'd be like, we're going to get back to you in a week. Let us review X y Z. We'll get back to aw week. Now you can actually provide beautiful real time user experiences. I mean, we're doing a lot of work right now with the US federal government. Right as they rebuild the front end user interface, right, they rebuild a lot of the government websites, they rebuild how the federal government can interact with US citizens. And a core part of that is identity. A core part of that is trust. A core part of that is authentication. And so the goal, you know, on the good side of things is if we can get really good atition, partitioning bad and bad actors and all these different types of AI attacks, you know, we can move to digital voting. Right, People that are unemployed can get access to real time funds availability. Right, people that get marked as unemployed can be presented with jobs instantaneously that could fit their profile, right, and then you have you know, you can get people back into the workforce. Right. It's crazy, Laurie, the amount of time we have to wait for tax refunds. Right, that's just you know, some of that systems, some of that's trusts. And so look, I think think for us, it's about providing like a safer internet, more seamless internet, a faster moving, lower latency internet. And that touches everything from how you buy things in e commerce, right, how you transact with fintech financial services, how you interact with government services, how of course even you interact with social media properties. And so we believe that if you can really get really, really really accurate in terms of identity and trust and age, you can actually provide really incredible user experience to people across all digital mediums. And I think this is kind of the fun part for people at our team because we are citizens, right, we are consumers, right, we want these things for ourselves. And yeah, that's that is like the counter right, you have a safer internet for thirteen year olds, right, you have all your age restricted products, right, can actually be in the right hands. And yeah, I mean for all of us, hopefully none of us are getting scan, none of us lose our life savings, none of our family members lose it. And so you know that ability to solve solve both problems is is the thing that gets aspired up every day and you know has for the last decade plus.
Speaker 3: To do what you do, you have to be a little bit crazy because it's a wild job and a wild thing to be doing at a fascinating time.
Speaker 4: So why is it personal to you?
Speaker 1: Oh man? I think Look, I think all of us get to like choose what we what we you know, what we do in life. And you know, I think this is of all the things the mid twenties me and early thirties me, and I guess you know, early forties me thinks it's pretty fun getting to work on a thing that impacts basically every person in the world. Right, we processed close to about six billion identities last year. We expect this year it's probably going to be we will probably have processed at some point in time, at some touch point, every single person on the planet that is on the Internet. And so yeah, I think, you know, obviously a lot of us can work on a lot of different things, and this has been a thing that to me has been deeply rewarding and and and and actually being able to work on something that really touches in some form and hopefully benefits the life and some some small experience really everyone on the planet. And I don't think there's a lot of things that you know, I don't think there's a lot of things you can work on that really touches every single person. And you know, this has been uh, yeah, this has been the medium, if you will, through which you know, we're able to do that. And I get a lot of a lot of joy and both doing something that is you know, capitalistic and economically beneficial, but something that's like tremendously societally beneficial, and you know, something that that I think really really has to exist. And certainly with the proliferation of AI and acceleration of AI fraud is a thing that Yeah, really, if it doesn't exist, you know, we could be living in a very different different world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just want to give the last quick question to Joseph on our team. So I know Joseph had a question for you, So Joseph, you want to want to ask.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for for coming on the pod.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm on mostly human team and Laurie always lets me ask one question per episode, so it's like my little segment. I'm I'm curious since a lot of your h a lot of a lot of your work and sounds is like on the macroeconomic and corporate scale, I'm just curious until quantum computing ruins everything, what can you know, like, what can we what can like the individual everyday person do in their day to day what strategy slash tips do you have to get around online? You know and not be hacked or fall victim to deep pig fraud?
Speaker 1: You know? And have you ever been hacked?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Oh man, it was a sneaky too, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joseph's learning how to have Part one, Part two, Part three of his questions, I did more and more minutes every time. That's cause that means your that means you're asking good questions, Joseph, so could be gone, could be gone the out subjection. Look though, it's it's it's always like that. Like the consumerism of this is like freeze your credit, so that will cover one part of the world. So if your credits frozen, someone can't open a credit card in your name, someone can't take out a mortgage in your name. There's there's a lot of things. Anything that's kind of pulling or running off point of credit that will all be blocked and we'll be back in your control. So the first thing is like freeze your credit, go through go through the main bureaus. Uh, it's like pretty seamless to freeze and unfreeze. But that's something that I think is super super imported. And by the way, that's not just for adults. For those that have kids like your kid one year old, two year old, three year old, four year old. Uh, their asset sends can be stolen and used to go create synthetic identities. So it's not uncommon that your kid turns eighteen and they have one hundred thousand dollars of debt and their credits is destroyed. So not just adults, kids kids cruise your credit for your kids. As a part of that, you can set up fraud alerts. Right, there's a lot of services that you can set up fraud alerts, and there's lots of different kind of identity monitoring that you can do. I think, so on the credit side of the house, Joseph, like check your credit reports. I think most people are not security experts, but like set up multi factor authentication. If you have anything that is like secure, right that you don't want someone to have access to, have multi factor authentication. What multi factor authentication means is in order to be authenticated, you have to have multiple different things. So if you know the user name passor Joseph to your XYZ bank account, also require a second factor to get in. So that could be a pass key, that could be an SMS, it could be a voice call. Always have multi factor authentication because if Joseph, you're anything you have that's actually involved in a breach, well the breach will then give them your username password, and so if you don't have that second factor, they're in like you know, uh in on and off to the races. Obviously you use strong passwords. Don't reuse your passwords. Uh use uh, I mean there's lots of there's lots of different kind of password managers that you can use. Watch out for phishing, right, Laurie, you know had her like antenna's up, you know on that scam call. There are a lot of phishing attempts. They're very good. PayPal links, crypto links, they'll figure out, right, LRII, you know, I don't know you have an AT and T call. They'll pretend to be AT and T. They'll figure out who your bank is. They'll be pretending to be Chase. So have your antennas up for phishing links. Don't click on unsolicited links. Try to click in the root of the email, Joseph. Sometimes if you see and you'll see it says like you know, the email will look it'll visually show at Chase. And then if you click on the actual receiver, if it seems fishy and you look at the actual receiver and you click into it, you'll see the root email that it actually came from. And then yeah, just be smart, right, I mean, don't send you know, oh, Joseph, you can send me cash in the mail if you want buddy, but don't send anyone else cash in the mail. Don't send checks, right, there's a reason that the treasuries like, we're not sending checks anymore. Fraudsters have been buying the keys from the regional mail drop zones. They've been paying off usps or you know, workers to get like the main switch key, or they've been building or making keys to go steal mail. So don't send stuff in the mail. That's not a good idea. So I know some of those things, Joseph, you're married to know some of those you may be met new.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: But look, I think like, yeah, be just be uh be be be be aware. People should assume and fortunately like assume something's gonna go wrong and kind of work work backwards from there. Right, assume that you know your child's not being kidnapped. When you get a call, you know, assume that some emergency, be like, Okay, thank you very much, I'm gonna call you back. Right. Your banks don't Your bank will never call you. If your bank calls you hang up the phone. Look in the back of your card, call the bank. Right. If you think something's a scam, probably is. And so yeah, it's I mean those those those would be on my uh, those would be top of my list. Joseph of some some some tips. Cool, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: That was great.
Speaker 3: Actually, so many tips. That's amazing, So thank you. I really really appreciate that, and I know folks listening well too. Thanks for your time, Johnny, that was awesome.