Speaker 1: O Line Room's hottest room in the whole entire building.
Speaker 2: Disgusting.
Speaker 3: Just big fellas in there just oozing, you know, oozing when you're a big fella, Like your feet don't fit on the stairs how because you're your foot I'm a seventeen so you can't like not much.
Speaker 2: Listen, today we have an unbelievably legendary guest, Andrew Whitworth. We are talking Super Bowl fifty six, the Rams versus the Bengals, with the man who played on both teams.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a pretty good week for me and Walter.
Speaker 3: Peyton Man of the Year on Thursday, Jack, Super Bowl Championship on Sunday, Jack and a walk off right after the game with the kids, like, Hey, we're done. That's it.
Speaker 2: What a way to end it.
Speaker 4: This was the Rock super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Super Bowls come back to.
Speaker 3: Can you get off the field so we can kick the football off? I mean, what's going on right now? I just like, Hey, I'm trying to win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Rock.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you're in the middle of the field, but can we kick it please? It really started from unfortunately you he took the Super Bowl from me the first time.
Speaker 1: You jerk.
Speaker 3: After the game. Look up, see my wife, my son Michael sitting there.
Speaker 1: Lap.
Speaker 3: I flex both my arms up at him, kind of look up at him and.
Speaker 1: He likes, yeah, you did that. By the way, I just want you to know.
Speaker 2: That I'm sorry, buddy, all right, I'm sorry, but I'm not. Games with Names is presented by WIN Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor and is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome to Games with Names. On today's episode, we are talking Super Bowl fifty six, the Rams versus the Bengals with the man who played on both teams, Andrew Whitworth, future Hall of Famer, sixteen year NFL VET. Absolute Beast looks like a football player when you see him in person. Sure does a stout man. Stout man uh and of course a super Bowl champion, and we will be talking about his Super Bowl championship.
Speaker 5: What it was like to get on the top, going out, riding off from the sunset, doing it right.
Speaker 2: When I'm doing it right, learning and playing, and I would say almost co coaching with Sean McVay. Yeah, that's where I met him. Where we met Did we get into that Soho house?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: Her foilers flour.
Speaker 2: And also the secret to his longevity long career, and we get into the Thursday Night Football, We get into why Chris alikes us more than that crew over on Fox, and then we wrap it up with hitting the Old hot Line.
Speaker 8: And this episode is recorded from WIN, Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Make sure to check out Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x, Snapchat, and TikTok at Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to your podcasts. Comment a game you want us to do and remember to rate and review. Review calling at four two four two nine one two two nine zero, leave a message for some game wrecks, give us some war stories, some of the iconic games you want us to do, or whatever. Just give us a call in. It's been awesome having you guys call games and Names is brought to you by Win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor. Win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor are the ultimate destinations for sports lovers. Enjoy the sportsbook, play golf e at a great restaurant, and stay in luxury accommodations. Sign up for Win rewards and redeem for resort credit.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 2: February thirteenth twenty twenty two SOFI Stadium, Inglewood, California.
Speaker 1: The Rams are trailering the Bengals twenty to sixteen. Late in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: With the ball on the one yard line, Stafford drops back. He looks for Cooper Cup. This is Super Bowl fifty six. Welcome to Games with Names. Today we have an unbelievably tall, handsome, legendary guest, Andrew Whitworth. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Brother. This is Kyler, this is Jack, and today we are going to be looking at and talking about Super Bowl fifty six, the Rams versus the Bengals. Why'd you pick this game?
Speaker 3: You know it's a pretty special game. Segalais jewels. You know it's a pretty good day, pretty good week for me, right, I mean, you know, aur Walter Peyton Man of the Year on Thursday. Check Super Bowl Championship on Sunday. Jack kick and I'll walk off right after the game with the kids, like, Hey, we're done.
Speaker 1: This has been cool. We're out of here, mate. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The sunset, baby, that's it.
Speaker 2: What a way to end it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, you know, really special.
Speaker 3: I mean I think of it when I when I picked this game really though, to me, it's you know, you know this, when you play for a long time every year, when you get to that end of the season, it's tough on you physically, mentally, everything, and when it doesn't end the right way, it's even worse. And then you've got to convince yourself you can go back through it again. And it really started from unfortunately, you, you jerk, you took the Super Bowl from me the first time in fifty three. I guess that was, yeah, fifty three, you know, and that's where it started. It was people thought I was going to retire after that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't really feel that way, but going into the game, you know how that is report every question I got asked was You're going to retire after this, and I was like, no, I feel like I'm gonna keep playing. But I appreciate it. Yeah, but naturally I was thirty eight, so I get it right. You know, my beer was almost all white, not as much as it was now. But I lost that game, obviously, And I can remember after the game come up and I came over here and found you. You were about to get ready to celebrate the confetti's falling, said what's up. Congratulate you, and then I take off to leave the field, dude, and I see I knew where my family was sitting. I look up, see my wife and my son, Michael, sitting in her lap. And he's my footballer. I got four kids, you know, twelve, twelve, eleven, and nine now chaos.
Speaker 1: But he's sitting in her lap. He's bawling, crying, and he's my footballer.
Speaker 3: And I look up at him and I'm like, man, just as a dad, You're like, shoot now, like you know. It's like I'm pissed, but I know I almost still play football, Like I know I'm not done. And I'm like, how am I gonna get this, dude? To like get this these tears out? So any little kid, right like a boy, especially like flex your muscles at me, buddy, So I like, I flex both my arms up at him, kind of look up at him and smile, like put a smile on your face like you I'm mouthing it at him.
Speaker 1: And he like.
Speaker 3: Best smile he could get right like seven eight years old, is devastated and h you did that. By the way, I just want you to know that I'm sorry. But Michael Michael, Uncle Joseph. Sorry, I'm sorry, buddy. All right, I'm sorry, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: You guys are good. You got what next year you can't.
Speaker 1: You're not only good.
Speaker 3: But you know it was cool because after that game, wait to have a conversation, and you know it was about you know, things you get out to as opportunities to teach your kids, like man, look Mike, like we're gonna keep moving forward.
Speaker 1: We'll keep chasing U.
Speaker 3: And you know, to go through the next couple of years, struggle a little bit, blow out my PCL and MCL in twenty twenty, decide to still come back at forty and play football and to get the opportunity to go play against the team I played for for eleven years in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: That's why I picked the game, because.
Speaker 3: It was an ending of your time in the league, adversity you'd been through, always choosing to come back and say, I'm going to chase this thing one more time. And when that final snap happened, the first thing I did and whenever in Saal, Zach Taylor and Joe Burrow gave him a little love and I turned to find my family and the greatest reward you can ever have my son, Michael's standing at the front of the suite.
Speaker 1: Both arms up, just all smile, flex the ear, dude.
Speaker 3: So to me, it's it's like that super Bowl is awesome, but like we know this in sports man, anytime you get a chance to kind of back up your own words and prove what you're about, and especially to your own kid. Uh, it's just a moment. It makes me emotional every time I think about it, you know. And so it's just cool, man. It's it's a really special game for the super Bowl, but also for that opportunity as a father to show him what I was about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he knows that.
Speaker 2: Now people don't realize we fit. Like everyone just thinks you get to the top and you go and win a super Bowl. But the failures, oh man, that adversity, that's the real scar tissue that's built, that calcifies you, and that's what makes you go on to be able to succeed. And you know, I remember when we lost our Super Bowl and twenty eleven in Indianapolis against the Giants had that same kind I mean I was still a younger player, so we were in different completely situations. I bearly played I was like a special teamer still, but getting to the top and getting to the last game and losing that game is almost the absolute worst thing you can possibly feel because you were so close, you were right there. In all offseason, you think about the one or two plays you could have done. What if I the what ifs? What if I would have just caught more five more balls that you know, practice that week? What if I you know, this happened. And to be able to go out and and freaking actually go out and get it done after losing. I mean, that's that's that's big leagues as big leagues man, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you coming on. Is this the greatest game of all time?
Speaker 1: I mean that game? No chance?
Speaker 2: At least we got a man with integrity here, That's right, a man with integrity.
Speaker 3: I mean for me personally, yes, in general, no, no chance. But I mean it was I mean, you think about it, like for me, it was a movie script. I mean, you play for one team for eleven years, they tell you you're too old, basically like they don't want to commit to you playing there anymore, and you end up with another team who hadn't had a winning record in fifteen years and you end up in two Super Bowls, losing one and winning one and finishing against that team that told you that, in the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: It was unbelievable for me against a bunch of LSU boys too.
Speaker 3: Come on, I even I had to let him know, like, it's still Papa LSU. Right, it's not the young guys time yet. All right, it's still my time, you know what I mean. So that was fun, you know, it's great. I think Joe, like, you know, we have a good relationship. Obviously the year I tore my pc lmcls when he tore his a cl so we both went to doctor Latrosh and yeah, got some time to be together. But you know, so we have a good relationship. But I think he's still kind of like, you know, like a little like you know, kind of little he mad at me still. It's okay, but it is what it is. It's just like I was mad at you for a while, you know, hey, because.
Speaker 2: It can only be one winner, there can only be one. I'll move on, don't worry. You know, there's only one happy team. At the end of every year, there's only one happy team. Can you walk downstairs with that PCL now is still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm good, I'm great.
Speaker 2: That always the thing with the PCL walking down side, I tore my PCL and O seven and that's ultimately what led to me to retire because over the years my knee started sagging back. You know what it is, Yeah, and then I wore out the medial part of myself.
Speaker 3: You know, the ogre. I am that I have a lot of other issues walking down the stairs, and it's that my feet don't fit on stairs. A lot people don't realize this when you're a big fella, Like your feet don't fit on the stairs, so I can't walk. I have to walk my feet sideways how because you're your foot. I'm a seventeen so you can't like.
Speaker 1: Not much.
Speaker 3: Listen, I get I have to if you guys on Thursday can come to Thursday Football check got big wit, Little Mike. It's a segment I do anyways, Uh, speaking of that, man, you do killer work.
Speaker 2: You're working on Amazon right now, which has been it's been awesome for the league, the whole streaming and I think I think you know watching you guys. You know I'm working at Fox watching you guys. You guys are so good together. We share a teammate, CHRISA. Thompson. How has it been working on Amazon? Now that you're you know, you retire and you get into TV. You're freaking killing it. You have so many great insights and thoughts and how you speak on TV.
Speaker 3: How you liking it? It's been a blast. I mean, I think it's one of those things I love to share. Getting a chance to do it. When I got in the NFL in two thousand and six, you know, I had the you know, I had the honor of playing in three different decades of the league. I played long enough that it's really unique. Like when you're an offensive line room you walked in and I don't think a lot of people realize this as a draft, Like as an offensive lineman, you walked in. The first talk you'd have, it's like you're a line coach just going there and be like, none of you guys get to talk to the media. You don't say a word. You don't speak about this room. You don't talk about our offense. Like if you're in an article, like you know you better have been forced to comment basically, And so you you were kind of told avoid all of that. So the first half of my career. I'll never forget when Taylor Lawong gets drafted and I think this is so great.
Speaker 1: I tell him this the all time he goes his rookie year.
Speaker 3: He goes and works the combine the next year after his rookie year, and I remember just being like old lineman around the league or texting me, just like, man, who is this punk like that thinks he's allowed to talk, Like you can't talk about football like you're an old lineman.
Speaker 1: You're telling too much, you know. And so that was the.
Speaker 3: Nature of like our you know, guy, It really took a long time for a lot of veteran guys to be okay with old lineman who like spoke to the media, and that was really what it was like. And so I came up kind of with that mentality. And then you start to kind of like, all right, it's cool, Like that's fine, Like we're just talking about a game that we play, we love and it's not that serious. And so I think you really think of it. A lot of those things have changed, and now to have this opportunity as an offensive lineman to be on a prime time you know, an analyst desk and talk about a game that I love. It's meant so much to me as always say, like, I can't wait to celebrate guys in this game, and so getting a chance to do this like this changed my life, my kid's life. It's given me the opportunity to change other people's lives. So just that honor to me is what I think about every time I get to do it. It's like, celebrate a game that, uh, I think is you know, we talked with the greatest game of all time, the greatest sport of all time, the greatest competition of team and the ability to go out and make something bigger than yourself, like man, to celebrate that and what this whole entire thing is like, Uh, it's really special to be a part of it. And that's really what's on my mind every time I get on a desk and get a chance to talk about this game.
Speaker 2: And you know that you talk about how Linyman don't talk like people don't realize the hogs, you guys, are the motherfuckers that get the wins. If the Hogs don't work together, the team ain't doing shit. And they they're the most selfless people I always always connected with the lineman because I was a former quarterback, so I'd hang out with Logan Mankins. I'd hang out all you know, Windell and we were roommates. So that there are a special group of guys that are selfless. They all hang out in one area of the locker room. They don't want any attention. They always talk about their goddamn wives and their families. They're the biggest family men in the world.
Speaker 3: Stuff in their faces just they're protectors, you know, all over the side of their mouth. They're sweating at all times. You go in there, there's sweat all over them. Sitting in the facility watching chaste o. Line Room's hottest room in their whole entire building. Disgusting, Just big fellas in there just oozing, you know, oozing. I mean that's that's that's the line room, right, and it's a it's a brotherhood and it is and it's special.
Speaker 1: You think of this game, it really is. I mean that that that line.
Speaker 3: On both sides of the football is so unique and has a lot to do with teams that win every week. And uh, I think that's really the biggest honor being alignment and they're also think about how unique the position is. Always say this, like, think of how many positions in the world play with their back to the ball at all times in the game? Right I think they're really it's the only position I know of literally you are always playing with your back to the ball, and so it's it's, uh, it's wild to think that it's a unique thing, and you look at it in this league right now, it's a huge topic of improving that play. And I think that's one of the things is that it is a challenging thing because it's not really something you would just normally think of when you think of athletics, of having your back to the ball and not really knowing where the action is. And we've continued to eliminate their time to prepare, and I think that's one of those biggest struggles there is in the league right now.
Speaker 2: That's one thing I've been talking about, you know, one of the biggest themes of the year. We were talking about with every goddamn team offense line, offensive line, offense line. And I think it's a product of what the new CBA allows us to do in the offseason. There's less padded practices and those big boys. That's where they get their reps and they need to It's like it's like choreography with these guys. You know, they got to be able to pass guys off at but it has to be a live rep. You can't you can't simulate that, you know. So it's it's been crazy to watch how they're going to adjust the O line room and how they're gonna because there's always something, they'll figure it out. But getting back to you on TV, I think you've done an awesome job of giving the viewer a perspective of what the lineman sees. Because what people don't realize linemen are like the smartest guys on the team. Like a lot of the times the Joe Tooney's reading books that they have to be able to defend the most athletic guys on the fucking field. These d linemen that are absolutely monsters, and they got to do it together and they got there's so much feel and they got to look at the lines and you know, you got the center who's calling out bear front, paar front, and everyone's got a signal and they're communicating. It's been so cool to watch you on TV break that down for the viewer, because we haven't, really, like you said, had that. There hasn't been many O linemen out there that have done that. How great is Chrisable? Good point guard? That's what people don't realize. He's the point guard is and she can hoop?
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, listen, she can actually hoop for real, Like you know, we've got a chance to spend a lot of time together. So when you're a road team, you know, you guys are kind of a home team, right, You got a home team, y'all are in the studio. But when you're a road team, you get to see everybody's messing this, right, like how you travel, how you kind of live together, you know, all the ups and downs of just life, right, because you're spending forty eight hours or more every week together. And so we get a chance to bond a lot. Man, She's so special. I know how much she loves working with you guys. And well she did say she liked her crew better, you know, So there you go. You know, So I think she tells everybody. I think Caris is wise enough and witty enough to tell us what we want to hear in the moment. So I think she's told both crews that she likes them better be my guess, but she's the best man, honestly, Like, it's been really cool to have somebody like that, because you got to think on our desks, like we started year one, only is this streaming new, and this whole entire platform new. But Roan Fitzpatrick, myself and Richard Sherman are coming straight off the field, never have done this before, and she's sent up there with a desk and Tony and Zalaz is their only hope, Like, hey, I hope we can keep these guys together because they've never done this, and I'll never forget our first show. One of the producers is like, hey, guys, if we have some dead time right here, y'all just banter and we're like, you know, it's breaking. Somebody's like, hey, what's the banter? I mean yeah, it's like what does that mean? And she's like she's like putting her hand like, oh my god, it just means just talk.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, all right, yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: But it's like we have no idea what's going on, right, and no one teaches you. That's what people know. That's like nothing like yourselves.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Good luck remember that was the first I started swim, so they say, the first I go on inside the NFL, I get out of TV for the first time. I'm nervous as hell. Onces that a camera when when that red light's on, you can't you can't fool nobody, you know what I mean. I was just sitting there so nervous, Like, Yo, what do you got? He goes, Hey, just be you man. You I'm like, all right, thanks, appreciate it. There's no playbook.
Speaker 3: I said, it's throw them in there swim, you know, And and it is. But she's been awesome, and I think just her leadership, man, you can feel it every week like she has a plan and and she really, like I thought, the first year was awesome. She would meet some I was down for coffee every time before we'd like leave the hotel just to kind of hay, is there any way I can support you, anyway I can set you up better today? Is there any way that you'd really like to get in and out of things we talk about in a different way? Like it meant a lot to her, So having her with us has been Man, I don't know if you could put a price, tager of value on what she's meant to all of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did she give you a journal? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought I was special special. She gives great gifts, she does thoughtful gifts afterwards. Yeah, she's she's uh, she's good to have a girl on the on the set. You know, fucking animals just meath heads tightened us up, tight up.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt.
Speaker 2: How'd you prepare to face this elite d defensive line or a defensive defensive end? How what what is your like? What do you look at when you were watching the film, when you were playing? Are you looking at scheme? Are you looking at individuals? Break us down with that?
Speaker 3: How your I think it's you know, I think it's interesting because now doing this, I get a chance to have such a broader lens of like things I'm looking at. But when I played, you know, obviously my job, you know, I spent more of the week, probably at my back half of my career on you know, just the attitude, the mentality, the focus of the week, of the young guys making sure they understood what was going on in my room and a lot of other rooms, and even you know, somewhat in my career towards the end, I was older than every coach on the staff, so it was like, you know, also mentoring those guys and kind of just being around. I hate, here's something I think we could do a little better, have more instas on and that kind of stuff. So, but when it came to tape, really it as a young player, it was really about studying habitual movements. I mean, so for me, I was a big you know, I grew up playing basketball. I didn't play football really until high school, and so I was always thinking of myself as I'm a power forward and somebody's trying to go dunk a basketball, and how do I keep my body in front of them? How would I prepare for the things they liked to do. So I looked at past rushers, whether it be a James Harrison or Terrell so Rugs or Dwight Freeney early in my career, as it went on, the Von Millers and Khalil Mix and then now the Nick Bosas and Miles Garrett. I'm studying the pattern of how they really move and I want to learn their steps and how their body moves and on what step they like to come off with certain moves and what's their go too. Mon oh Man and how their hips and knees and like what what are little tails?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is their hand really high on a spin? They does their inside lift? Does their outside go down?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Do they kill their hands really low before they bull? Do they keep their hands high when they're gonna hand swat? Like I'm studying all those movements to where my mentality was is it's you know, you see at the combine they do this like drill where you like shadow a guy, like kick your feet and try to keep up with them. My mentality was, I should be making that step before you ever make it, because I should know what you're gonna do before you do it. And so I would go out and I remember Jared Goff when I first got to the Rams, like being a young QB, like you know Jerry if you know Jerr, like just kind of no nuts.
Speaker 1: Sometimes he's like just gonna sit and over, Hey, what you doing man? You know?
Speaker 3: And I would be out there like repping Chandler Jones's moves and he's like, why are you doing changes moves? I'm like if I can do them and kind of have a feel for him, then like while he's rushing me, I kind of in my body even though you don't see me on tape doing that. I'm kind of going through the motions of how he's moving while I'm taking my set to where I kind of know exactly when he's gonna hit me, you know, or oh, he's gonna pull away, and so I pull away. Like So it's like I'm kind of studying and learning their moves and trying to move when they move.
Speaker 1: And that's what that's what. It's a dance, baby, it is dance. You know.
Speaker 2: It's very similar for a receiver when he's preparing against the defensive, you know, a dB you know, is his feet stagger when he's gonna give you an offhand jam. It's all those little things that you sit and you watch so you subconsciously digest it and it allows you to react when you're playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Coop always told me this, like and it made me think of like him being the rusher, like, you know, kind of being able to like what foot is it that that little has he come?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: It's like it's not always off of two, it's not always off of three, like sometimes it's one more and then it's the same move to where in their minds as they click, oh, it's this route and then I actually do it off of this step. You know that type of stuff, and they always thought of like, man, that's the guys that could get me or were different, Like I've talked a lot of veteran tackles Trent Williams was because we always joked like when the guy comes off the bench that we don't know, that's like a nightmare, because I would rather face Nick Posa every play than like, wait, who's this guy?
Speaker 1: Like who is this kid? Like is he fast? Is he slow? Is he powerful?
Speaker 3: Like? Those are the guys that actually made you nervous because I don't know his exact pattern, and that would scare me more than like a guy that at least I know what I'm gonna get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right there, folks. That's off. Yeah, that's not two hundred three hundred. That's that's class level. That's way up there, five six hundred class level R. What does that any mean?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, like you go to well.
Speaker 3: To class coge so one hundred, two hundred three hundred, that's like your basic level class is like class level.
Speaker 1: It's advanced. Yeah, you go.
Speaker 7: To add on that how do you think, like, if you put yourself across the line of scrimmage, how do you think defensive ends are looking at your tape? Like what things are they queuing in on you? Or how do they think they prepare against someone?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think most of them just know that you're number seventy seven. But no, but there's a couple of guys that probably study more than that. I mean, Ad is literally like that's seventy three, you know, and I'm going to annihilate this guy. But I think like probably when you're talking about the really elite guys, they're thinking of how they could maybe adjust things a little bit, but the nature of what they do. And I you know, I've gotten a chance in the last two years to work with young rushers and stuff like that. Like last year, you know, it was publicized a lot that Mike and I worked together for a week, And it's those guys. You got to remember they have to get to the quarterback. And this is the other thing I teach young linemen that want to know, I'm like, you do realize it's their job to get to the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Now my job.
Speaker 3: So as long as we can dance and you want to dance fantastic. Show me guy's got a ton of moves. That's awesome because I I am gonna just keep giving you nothing and you're gonna keep doing moves and the ball's gonna be gone, and then you're gonna tell me about how cool your move was, and I'm gonna be like, great, I get paid so that you don't hit that guy. Other than that, like great, you're gonna have a lot of awesome moves and you can be like, oh man, I kind of got you at the end.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 3: So that's my thing is those guys that it's they have limited time to get there, so they kind of have their way. They rush, and so when you're talking to those guys to me, I always tell them like, don't waste time, like attack, be violent, get to the quarterback, and then you got to just trust the moves you have as a tackle. Though, on the other side of it, it's be patient, be calm, be under control, and really just be ready for the moment.
Speaker 1: They actually attack. So it's two sided.
Speaker 3: Really, if you want to be really good at it, it's the two things. Like for the one side, it's patience and stability and balance and on the other side, it's attacking at all times with a relentless effort and really a violent mentality to get to the quarterback. And so it's really to me, that's the difference of the two positions, is that they can watch tape, but it's more just for them.
Speaker 1: Do you punch a lot or do you not punch a lot? Like me? I never never ever stuck my arms out. I mean I looked at it like in basketball.
Speaker 3: Again, I go back to this like if I'm reaching, I'm dead right, you reach your feet, stop, you're dead.
Speaker 1: So I'm never reaching, right.
Speaker 3: So the only time I'd ever reach is a guy who I knew was really terrible at speed.
Speaker 1: He had no speed.
Speaker 3: Now I'll grab you because I know that, like even if you got my hands, I'll be okay, sorry.
Speaker 1: I know this is turned into this is what we people.
Speaker 7: Love this love craft, go deep in this stuff.
Speaker 2: And it's it's just crazy because watching it's like watching a young receiver getting off the line of scrimmage. Like you were saying, these guys, oh, you know you got all these moves and stuff. It's the guys that don't cover the ground. They think they're being cute and stuff. It's it's the guys that actually come and react off of your movement that are probably the tougher guys. You grew up in Louisiana, went to LSU up with Saints fan.
Speaker 3: I did not, would you like North Louisiana More of North Louisiana where I grew up, they were the Aints at you were wearing paper bags, you know, to the games. I think, Uh, I was a Cowboys fan, so I'm actually closer to where I lived. We were closer to Dallas than you are New Orleans. So I grew up a Cowboys fan, always a Cowboys fan, you know, So that was kind of my It was Troy Iggman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, those guys, Charles Hayley back in the day.
Speaker 1: I mean, you name it. I grew up that.
Speaker 2: And then also, you know, they asked me this question of the night honors, like who my favorite?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Growing up, I was really torn because I'm also a Niners Joe Montana fan, because sega Joe Montana football, Like that was my put my gloves on, I put my receiver gloves on. I'd sit in front of the TV and like I'm going after it. Right, full gear like wristbands on Joe Montana football. I'm going, you know, I haven't heard that game, and so I.
Speaker 2: Remember that he had the get his little helmet out like the problem up on the cover.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so great.
Speaker 2: I was a Niners fan. I hated the Cowboys. I hate Cowboys. My two dogs, My dogs were named Dwighton Montana. We stopped becoming Niners fans once we got rid of Joe Montana. My dad, my dad loved Joe Montana and like when he went to the Chiefs, we almost became. We were basically Chiefs fans for two years ago. You know, it was it was crazy. He was such larger than life, that guy. He was like, God, you were so you were you like Montana?
Speaker 3: I was like Montana and Apemen where my guys? And uh, you know it might have been because at that area we didn't even realize it, but that's really all you watched on TV were the Cowboys and the Niners, and uh, you know that's those kind of games.
Speaker 1: So that and then you know obviously that.
Speaker 3: I really wasn't one of those guys that was a huge pro sports guy when I was growing up.
Speaker 1: It's the South, probably y.
Speaker 3: I just didn't, you know, in North Louisiana, like there's no there's no pro team. So I didn't really pay attention to it at all. Like I was a college guy, like obviously being basketball as duke basketball. I had sideburns when I was young. When I first could get them Cherokee Parks Baby, Uh, you know that was when my Christian Latner grant heel. That was that was my squad, So that that was it, you know, and then you know, then I went on to college and you know, I played. We actually have a little bit of a connection because yeah, Nick and Bill Baby, I mean you know Saban went to Kent State as well. Yeah, you know, and so you know when I was with LSU, Bill would come down and like watch our off seasons and stuff like that and spend a lot of time with Nick. Obviously because of their relationships, we both kind of been ingrained very similar things, that's for sure. Yeah, what was playing for like for Nick Saban was he well you know, I got young Nick, so he was who he was.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I think the best thing I could say is my very first time I was a rookie, I mean a freshman. We had a game we had Monday morning, early morning film. Five minutes late, maybe three minutes late, I don't know. I was really late getting across campus. And he would wait at the door to close it when the time would end, and he took those glasses off like he always does, and he lit me up into a way like I was just like to like tears the rest of the meeting, and I'll never forget it. And I my wife to this day is so tired of me because I am forty five minutes early to everything, Like I'm fully dressed before I got to be anywhere ready to go. So he you know, it was special because you realize, really, you know, I think Kyle Williams and I always say this, he's playing Buffalo forever. You know, we were high school rivals, college roommates, absolute stud and we'd say this. When you played for him there, you always felt like, as players, we have to go out and lose the game because from a preparation standpoint, and you know how what we're ready to do in this game, from practicing, knowing what they do, all of that, Like he's put you in a situation to win, and you have to go play bad to lose. And you really did feel that way every time you lost, like gosh, we let Nick down because we couldn't have had a better playbook to win the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's what you.
Speaker 2: Felt like, That's something I felt like I felt my whole career. There wasn't a game that we went into where you didn't feel like you should have won just because of the prep that you went through, like constantly going over situations that come up maybe once a year, always being prepared for that one thing, uh, knowing your opponent, putting the work in like and I think too, like you know this with them, like I always was blown away, Like I feel like there's lots of coaches that work hard, and I'm not saying that you know, they put in time, effort, all these things, but.
Speaker 3: The intensity level and the focus level of like every detail always locked in, never relaxed, like never ever letting off the gas a little bit. I was always blown away in four years of being with the Nick, like I never saw him ever pull off the gas at all. It was always full intensity, fully locked into every detail that mattered, if every situation and every week. I've just even to this day, you know, I told Sean McVay this. When I came in twenty seventeen, I got to spend like a month or two with him the first couple of months there and signing and getting to know each other. I was like, dude, you're one of the closest I've ever seen, because I've never seen it since I played for Nick and out of Magin just seeing Bill when he would come visit that he was that way, Like I just never seen people that not about working hard, but.
Speaker 2: Just that that locked in all the time. It was really rare. You know what it is. It's those those guys. They enjoy the grind of preparation. Some guys it's a it's a task. It's it's like a it's like a chore. It's like, all right, we're gonna those guys. I tell the story all the time, and like when I was like a second year player in the league, I love just being in the locker room. I was still just amazed at being a Patriot. March We're doing cold cold plunge, hot plunge. I'd be going back and forth ten o'clock at night.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I went to Kent State, so we used to have to pay for our Gatorade. I was just so infatuated with having everything for free.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I used to hang out there and I would go in the weight room ten o'clock.
Speaker 1: The backpack with gatorades. Huh. We used stuffing gatorads in the backpack.
Speaker 2: Rookie contract, seventh rounder by us. Come on, buddy, you should have sold my fridge at home. I had everything that they had at the facility. And you go there at eleven o'clock at night in March and you see Bill Belichick in the corner of the weight room on a treadmill with a freaking sweat vest on with a big ass book going over the draft with film on eleven o'clock in March. Just guys that enjoy. They enjoy the preparation process, and they like it was like that every year, like and they already had three super Bowls at that time, you know when I got there, and then when we want a super Bowl, it's like they work even harder because they know you become, yep, the target, you become America's most wanted.
Speaker 3: People talk about process versus results all this type of stuff. They are the process. They are the process, that is their result. Like to them, win or losses actually generally actually don't matter. They are in the process all the time, so naturally the wins come, the results come because they never leave the process. They were at all times gathering information. Like I always felt like, even when I'm talking to Nick, I'm like, is he evaluating what I'm saying? Or it's like I'm just trying to have a casual conversation with you, But I feel like you're like evaluating what mood or mentality I'm in in this moment. I'm just trying to ask you how your day's going, you know, But like they're that locked in all the time their computers, dude, you know, and it's it's crazy. What's so Lsu played for Cincinnati, come over to the LA Rams, young hot shot new coach Sean mcday.
Speaker 2: Played them in college, went to Miami.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: What was the culture? Like you explained a little, but let's jump into that detail of what that culture was like. Coming from Cincinnati getting ready to become a Super Bowl team. What was that culture like?
Speaker 3: It was unique because I'd been eleven years in sincey you know, coach Marvin Lewis the whole time. You know, obviously my first couple of years in Cincinnati were rough. That was during the period of time when you know, shoot, I think we had you know, I don't know, over ten guys you know that had arrest and different things going on.
Speaker 1: My first two years on the league. It was just it was crazy. I mean it was chaos. Right.
Speaker 2: We used to have a formation called Bengal formation.
Speaker 1: It was a group.
Speaker 3: There's four sets of formations. You're breaking the rules or jail breakers, and that was the F would move in each at one of these things in these formations. So on you know, Brown, he was all the way out. On Tiger, he the F would be in the here and then on Bengal all the way in.
Speaker 1: We remembered it.
Speaker 2: Bengals are always in jail. They're always there.
Speaker 3: You go.
Speaker 1: See, I knew it was something like that. I knew that's where they were going. But no, that's the truth.
Speaker 3: And so then you know, you play there had we actually had a great run you know there when Andy Dawton and AJ Green and those guys were Shoot, we had five years We're in the playoffs or winning multiple division championships and just can't figure out a way to win in the playoffs. And then you go and it's like, hey, you're thirty six years old, you're a free agent. The team's kind of telling you you can't play anymore. You feel like you can play a lot more. And and here comes the Los Angeles Rams. They hired the youngest coach in history of the NFL, Sean McVay. I had randomly, you know how these things just happened. Literally three years before that, Jay Gruden was trying to hire him to Cincinnati, and I met him at the Combine and so Sean and I had met then kind of struck up a relationship.
Speaker 1: And so I'm no idiot. I mean, you know, I'm a free agent.
Speaker 3: I'm on the PA and I'm like, hey, listen, the Combine's coming up in February. Like I'm going to the PA meetings. So at the PA meetings, you know, you see people at the combine and you're just saying hey to everyone. You know, that type of deal. So I ran into those guys. I ran into a bunch of different coaches. You know, obviously you're going to be a free agent, and you know, I had conversation. It was like cool, like Sean just got this job. I know him, Like I hope this works out where there's an opportunity there, and they were moving Greg Robinson from the left tackle spot, so there was an op and I signed.
Speaker 1: There and you know, you joined the youngest head coach and here you are.
Speaker 3: I'm, you know, eight years older than this guy, and I'm I'm the left tackle, the prized free agent at thirty six years old with a white beard, and so it was crazy because no left tackle it ever in NFL history at thirty six, got like a premium free agency contract. So it was a huge leap for the Los Angeles Rams to do something like that that had never been done. And it was a lot like honestly, for me, like the first year, it was a lot of pressure because it's like, I am thirty six, I have no idea if my body's gonna hold up or not. But I got to be around and see him, and it injected probably. I mean, it's probably the last five years of my career the most energy, most enthusiasm and just affection of loving the game that I've ever had my entire football career being around Sean McVay because he's one of the rarest people I've ever had the opportunity to be around from that focus level, but also the ability that who he is is a communicator and how you can articulate and bring juice every single week. Like when you walk out of his meetings, you not only walk out like prepared for the game, you walk out feeling like man, you are king like that he has just his ability to make you feel the most positive, just infectious energy about your team and your group.
Speaker 1: And it was awesome.
Speaker 3: And to think a thirty year old head coach, I'll tell you this, she's and you'll get this. He's a thirty year old head coach or probably two weeks into OTA's his first OTAs and I'm like, yeah, I'm gonna go check on coach, like I ain't been in there, Like after the work, you know, I go do my own deal, watch my own stuff. Kind of I'm mentoring young guys. I'm getting to know this young team. They're like, who's this grand Paul who's working with us, you know, And so I'm getting to know these guys and I'm like, I'm gonna go check on shop. So I go knock on his office door, Hey, come in, Like, go in. It's four thirty in the afternoon. You know in late April, and you know, it's like he's like got something on the TV. Like I can't seem like what's going on in the screen, Like what you get what you're doing in here? He turns his screen to me, he's watching our team meeting. He's like, I go back and watch every single time I speak to you guys, because I want to break down how I communicate every single day of the message and what it is that I meant to set out with an intent to make sure you guys walked out of the room and felt And if I can't feel it, then I want to critique myself harder and I critique anybody else. And if I'm the hardest on myself and every day I'm delivering a message that's consistent with what I want from you guys, then like that's the best way for me to be a really good communicator.
Speaker 2: And I was like wow, Wow.
Speaker 1: And not only that, we.
Speaker 3: Spent the first month talking about culture communication, like what verbal and visual communication looks like, and it's like you're sitting in there and I'm like, wow, there's a thirty year old head coach. We weren'talking about x's and o's every day we are talking about how you be like a grown man in football, like don't pout when you have a bad play, Like show some juice, bring some energy back to the huddle and say let's go be better than next snap. Like things where you're like, wow, this is like intangible stuff that actually matters, right, and it's the glue. And it was really cool to see a young guy have really, I mean the balls to do that because most people would think, you're, like the ownership's looking like you're young, you're higher that you're teaching these guys Mexican O's like, where's where's all the stuff that we're gonna do that's gonna hurt teams and they don't really understand, like, no, that's actually what's going to create a football team that's going to be really special. So it's really honestly one of the greatest moments of my life in my football career. Those five years with him was really special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I got to be a little fly on the wall with that relationship. One night at the Soho house where yeah, we also knew how to have a good time, we parttook in a few tequila shots and yeah, I could definitely. It was always interesting to me because, like you said, you were eight years older than him, and to see the relationship between head coach and veteran player you in person, it was something very different than I ever seen, you know, it was a completely different way. And it's pretty cool to hear that kind of new wave coach. Yeah, you know, and that's what and that's what every teams trying to strike. Now, every team is trying to strike to get the next McVeigh the hands these guys that are these young guns, creative guys. But it's pretty cool to hear that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're brilliant with the x's and o's, but they're spending most of their time trying to develop the culture, trying to show guys what we are.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And a lot of teams don't know what they are, and that's why most teams are dog shit. In the National Football League, there's like six seven teams that are really vying for a Super Bowl every year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like in Sean, I mean, think about this thirty ye old head coach. You think you come in with, like, oh man, this team's really struggled last fifteen. Yeah, he won Super Bowls in the early two thousand, but really fifteen years they haven't had a winning record. I mean, to come in and really have that mentality of we didn't even have a single rule. We had had one rule he had on the board and big words we not me. It's the only rule of the whole team, where whatever you want, do whatever you want. But if it ain't a weight decision, then it's not us. And so that was it, and that was how we ran our room and developed our culture. And it was really special. And I'm glad that he had the year he had because I think it's probably one of the most you know, to me impressive coaching seasons he's had since he's been at the Helm. You know, with one of the highest caps, you know, dead caps in the entire league, one of the youngest teams in the entire NFL h to make the playoffs. I mean, what a season. And I can't wait because they're they're they got a chance this offseason. Lot all the draft picks, the most money they've had since he's been the head coach, the most draft picks they've had since he's been the head coach.
Speaker 1: They'll be interesting to see what they build.
Speaker 2: It's been an awesome relationship. Him less need that whole operation, you know, mortgage the future. They mortgages the goddamn future for that Super Bowl, you know. And and people were thinking this year they were gonna be a five win team, four win team to go out and make the playoffs. Games with Names is brought to you by my friends that Win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor. Win Las Vegas and on Core Boston Harbor are the ultimate destinations for sports and entertainment fans, from the sportsbook to gaming restaurants, live music, and more. Whether it's a casual weekend getaway or that special occasion, the sportsbook at Win Las Vegas or Encore Boston Harbor is the place to watch and wager from straight bets to parlays, teasers and any prop bet you can dream up. And if you're a golfer, oh spend a day at the Win Las Vegas eighteen Hole Championship Golf Course. Looking for an incredible stake with an unbeatable view, try rare at Encore Boston Harbor. Remember sign up for Win rewards and redeem resort credit in Las Vegas and Boston. Enjoy it all in a luxury resort setting with five star accommodations and all the amenities you can dream up. I will see you in Boston or Las Vegas soon, Jack, you want you set up the stage and break down.
Speaker 4: To revisit these rams real quick.
Speaker 2: Revisit the rams? All right?
Speaker 4: First we got to start off. This was Andrew's sixteenth season in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Sixteen.
Speaker 5: This was Cooper Cup's big year, triple crown winner, triple first see Steve Smith and five back when he had Jake Delom slanging the rock to him, Jake Delomb, another Louisiana guy.
Speaker 4: We got to shout him out. Maybe Stafford's first season in LA.
Speaker 5: It was a banner year, career high in TDS, career high in completion percentage and Obj joins the team week ten.
Speaker 2: Baby Obj?
Speaker 4: What did that do to the locker room? Andrew?
Speaker 1: Uh, you know what, it was awesome.
Speaker 3: I think that year really was one of the things to me that cemented like, really how special Sean is in the sense that you think of adding von Miller Obj in that season, guys who were established vets who played other places, and when they got there, it was so cool to see how refreshed. They were to be like whoa, Like you just said, I've never seen anything like this, like this whole set up and y'all are all like having fun, like what actually is going on? I remember Obj being like, man, this is like gave me a whole new fresh breath of like wanting to play football. And it was really cool because we had a little lull in that season where we didn't play well. We had three game losing streak. We had just gotten everybody and we actually lost three games in a row and we've gotten all these people on the team of Vaughn on the team and Obj on the team, and then we kind of found ourselves. It took a little bit to kind of get to know each other and like get a feel for the new locker room vibes, and we took off from there. You know, we lost one time and overtime to San Francisco from then on and it led us to a super Bowl. So it's something that it was a rare, rare team and a really special moment for myself. But like I said, I think Sean mcvay's story is still not you know finished. It's gonna be special to watch this guy keep going, because I've told him this multiple times. If he has the passionate coach for a long time, he'll be one of the best to ever do it. I'm pretty confident that that's That's the one thing that worries me though. When you're a juice guy guy like that, can you sustain that that's tough. That's what I think, honestly, one of the most impressive things about Pete Carroll. Yeah, oh my god, it's unbelievable. Every time you think those guys are dead, that guy comes up with a way to get them to play. You're all of a sudden, like, who in the world is this football team that we're playing because watching on tap, this is not how they played the last three weeks. And then he can get them to just play at a level that's out of this world. But you know, that's the thing. I think it will be a shuggle. Plus, I think in the new age that we live in media and the opportunities everywhere, like these coaches, they didn't have all those things back in the eighties and nineties and two thousand, Like Bill, there wasn't somebody beating his door every day for There's tons of money to go do whatever else, right, So I think it is unique now trying to be a head coach and do it for a really long time. There's a lot of other options, and I think that is different for this new young wave of coaches as well.
Speaker 2: So many different avenues of keeping your itch for football nowadays with the media as.
Speaker 1: It keeps growing.
Speaker 3: I mean, this this game is insane and how it's growing is insane, and they have lots of opportunities to do a.
Speaker 1: Lot of ways to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: Jackie break down these Bengals.
Speaker 5: He's twenty twenty one, Bengals ten and seven, coming off of four and eleven season. Joe Burrows second season in the league. We're in the Zach Taylor era. We talked about the Marve Lewis era earlier. This is the third year under Zach Taylor. Jamar Chase's rookie season. What a rookie season it was, Oh my god, Higgins, I mean, Midhead, they had the guys you can remember too.
Speaker 1: Zach Taylor was with us in the Super Bowl. We lost to you guys.
Speaker 3: So he actually got that ye right during the you know, he interviewed for that job during the bye week of going into the Super Bowl. Yeah, so we actually got that job during that time. So it was, like I said, it was a pretty crazy script to end it the way it all ended. And you say during one more time daring, Yeah from the south Man, it's endearing the way you say during.
Speaker 1: That's right during.
Speaker 5: And we got to give a shout out to AJ Green here. This is the first time the Bengals started a year without aj Green since twenty ten. Jesus Baby mainsday Baby, and they won the AFC North for the first time since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: I mean, this was an electric year. Just tells you one thing. Quarterbacks everything be.
Speaker 3: Stafford was out of his mind I mean he was out of his mind this season too, but in that year he was he was different. You could tell that he was refreshed and felt believed in and I mean, think about all those years he had in Detroit and just you know, felt like he's fighting for his life every week. And then to come to a place I'm sure where you meet Sean McVay and you realize, oh man, you mean you're gonna tell me, Like I kind of felt like I have the advantage when I walk into a game every week I think you saw that in him and it was fun.
Speaker 1: And I hope he keeps going. Man.
Speaker 3: I know he's been you know, he's had some injuries. Obviously, he got beat up pretty good and what a tough sucker he is. But man, I hope he keeps going because he's a special one and I'd love to see him have a couple more years. Him and Sean together, they could do a lot of great things. He's a freaking stud.
Speaker 1: Jackie.
Speaker 2: What's the game lead up to this thing?
Speaker 4: Andrew mentioned this earlier.
Speaker 5: The Rams got hot one five or six to finish the regular season, the Bengals not so hot, three and three to finish it off. Both teams were the four seeds. As you remember, Joe Burrow went in and slayed my homes. That arrowhead gave us the phrase burrowhead, burrowhead.
Speaker 4: Pretty good one, pretty good one.
Speaker 5: Bengals first Super Bowl appearance since eighty nine back in the Icky Woods days.
Speaker 1: Did they lose to them?
Speaker 2: Niners? Come on?
Speaker 1: Come on?
Speaker 3: That was actually my super Bowl prediction this year, and unfortunately Joe Burrow got hurt. But I went Niners, Bengals. I wanted the rematch. I thought we were going to get the rematch.
Speaker 4: And this was the rams second Super Bowl appearance in three years, as we mentioned earlier, so they had that bad taste in their mouth.
Speaker 2: Still, So what do you remember the game leaning up to this thing? Are you guys nervous in l A. Did you have the weirdest week ever? Did you have a template, because you guys were there a couple of years.
Speaker 3: You would think, but it ended up being a home game and then the league actually, which I you know, it's like one of those things for me, Hey, listen, it forked out perfect.
Speaker 1: I have no complaints for the young guys.
Speaker 3: I feel bad that were on that team that never been to a Super Bowl because when we went to Atlanta and play you guys, you get the allness. You're on the road, like we're in an hotel, we're busting to the media days. You see all the security.
Speaker 2: You guys stayed at home.
Speaker 3: We stayed in our facility and practiced and stayed in our houses, like literally busted.
Speaker 1: Think about that.
Speaker 3: We literally went to the game like it was a home game and and like hey, the night before, stayed in a hotel by the stadium and just rode over to the game and so it was the weirdest week we even did. They even allowed us to do our media at our facility, so we didn't even have a media day.
Speaker 1: So it was a weird, weird week.
Speaker 2: It felt like a you know, late December game that you're just at home, and obviously in Cali, you know you have the great weather, so just.
Speaker 3: It didn't even feel like you're playing in the super Bowl. It was very strange compared to going to Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Almost it could be taken as an advantage though for a young guy, because there was less distraction.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 3: I just mean like I hated for them that they didn't experience like the allness of what a Super Bowl feels like, right, and that that's what I remember the most. And then you know, really of the game, I just remember it felt like every five seconds I turned.
Speaker 2: Around, we lost in all offensive player, like wait, who's out?
Speaker 3: You know, like you're on the solid you know, it's like wait, you're going to get in the huddle and you're like wait, wait, where's our tight end? You're like, oh wait, where's where's the receiver? It was just constant the entire game. We were losing guys.
Speaker 4: Did you guys get to use your same locker room that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh heck, everything was the same.
Speaker 4: That isn't wild?
Speaker 1: Yeah it was wild.
Speaker 4: Should we bounce through this game?
Speaker 1: Real quick bounce through?
Speaker 5: But as Andrew mentioned earlier, I mean Obj balls out, scores first, gets the Rams up, then gets hurt right before halftime, like he's going.
Speaker 4: For he would be super MVP.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, he's just bawling.
Speaker 5: Stafford throws a pick late in the second quarter right around men. Rams are up thirteen ten at the half. Then oh, got to rewind a little bit.
Speaker 9: This was the Rock super Bowl. Yeah, the Rock gets opened it. What was like the fields we can kick the football off? I mean, what's going on right now? I just I'm right there, like, hey, I'm trying to win a Super Bowl Rock. I'm glad you're in the middle of the field. But can we kick it please?
Speaker 7: I wonder if he's gonna do that for every single of the game.
Speaker 1: You got it?
Speaker 4: He should one of the wildest openings. Were you watching that last night? It was insane?
Speaker 2: Lee.
Speaker 5: So, as we mentioned, the halftimes score thirteen to ten, Rams are leading. Then at halftime we got Snoop out there with doctor Dre kick Pierson's on the field.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine that?
Speaker 1: Well, you know what Bill and Nick would do in that situation.
Speaker 2: They would have been cut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the punter would have kicked the rest of the game. We're like, what would you possibly do it?
Speaker 1: They don't care. No, those those guys's gone.
Speaker 2: No one would even think about doing that, right mind. I remember seeing this live. I'm sitting there like, is that the is that kick Pierson?
Speaker 3: Now? I will say at halftime it was one of the hardest parts because you know how long those are to like try to listen to the coaches.
Speaker 2: And you're like, dang, that's Eminem and Snoop out there.
Speaker 3: Like it's like you're kind of kind of listening a little bit, like I don't know what y'all just said, but y'all feel me in a minute, because that was a sick halftime show.
Speaker 2: I will give them that legendary la with those guys.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. And then so we come back for the second half.
Speaker 5: Bengals start out hot, seventy five yard TD bomb Burrow to Chase. This puts the Bengals up all second half until a minute twenty three left, when Stafford finds Cup in the back of the end zone. A little bit of a punt fest there in the second half for a while. Take the lead, Von Miller, Aaron Donald, ball out, relentless, Zach Joe Burrow seven times.
Speaker 2: Seven times, insane. You get sacked all year though.
Speaker 5: She got hit Super Bowl record. Then Joe gets out there, they get out to midfield. We were looking at this one earlier fourth and one. They're throwing it. Bring the blitz, take him down.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Eric Weddle, Baby, Eric Weddle jumped in the window or work to his left. Wettle jumps in the window and then he tried to get back and it is too Donald baby, Man, what a special guy that was. People forget we added him to start the playoffs. He comes two years sitting out. He's in his big truck, you know. He calls me on the I'm like, I miss a call from him.
Speaker 2: I call him back. I'm like, du what's going on. I'm coming to join the team, baby, Like what He's like, yeah, yeah, you know, they signed me.
Speaker 1: I'm coming up. Like I was, like, you've been working out.
Speaker 3: It's like, man, I run sometimes after I coach the kids, Like so I've been running some striders joins, the team, makes the run, plays all the snaps, you know whatever, the whole entire playoffs and a lot of people realize this tears his peck completely and play beginning of the game never comes out. Plays the rest of the game, can't even use one of his arms, and you can see him tackling with one arm. And the thing is too, he wasn't some pop like. He shredded it so bad. He had surgery. It was an eight month recovery. He couldn't play off, he couldn't do anything. He had basically was like hamburger meat. He had shredded his peck so bad and they had to sew it back together and he basically for eight months couldn't do anything his arm. And I don't think he would trade it for a second, but really really special. And then that game too, it's wild, like you think of what happened to him. Tyler Higbee, you know, gets hurt in the NFC Championship, He's out the next time. Then he gets hurt, and then you have Bryson Hopkins who hasn't played hardly a snap the whole season, who's now you're starting tight end. During this game, you lose Odell, Benny Skronick, who's a special teamer. All of a sudden, now he's starting. He's a starting receiver. So you're walking in the huddle and you're like, well, what is going on right now? Can we just keep a couple of guys healthy where we can go win this game? Uh? That drive though, with Stafford and cup Man unfreaking believable that you find your guy. They meet every morning at five am on Wednesdays, and it came to life right there talking about process over results.
Speaker 1: Baby, Now, how was how was matt right before that drive?
Speaker 10: Was he?
Speaker 1: What was his temper?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: How the first thing I'm gonna do? Just I mean, not that you're scared of Matthew. He's real sensitive about matt So we call him Matthew's mugh serious, Kelly's gonna She's gonna post on. I'm just telling you, he's gonna get you on Insta. If you don't, you gotta call him Matthew. I'm sorry, Matthew. Matthew very serious.
Speaker 2: But still I was Maddie before that. Ding, Hey, you're like me, I'm calling mathe rest of the day.
Speaker 3: No, anyway, So no, you know what's wild is like when people talk about the game, right, like, that's the things I actually remember.
Speaker 1: It's like him walking in the huddle.
Speaker 3: So you know, if people don't realize this, the quarterback is always on the side of the team like, so you know, he's communicating the coach all those things. So obviously our sideline is away from me, being the left tackle, and so Matthew's over on that side until we're looking dead into each other every time he's getting a call from Shana and kind of see Sean in the background making the calls, and I see Matthew like looking up at us, and I never him getting in the huddle and he was like, hey man, let's let's go do something special right here, you know, And there was just a look in his eye like I always said this, like Matthew to me is like John Wayne, Like he just like he's like this cowboy bad dude in the sense of he's not a cowboy type guy, but he's just a tough never hurt, never says a word like it's hit.
Speaker 1: You can literally like oh like nothing.
Speaker 3: Won't say a word like not blaming anybody, never tell you a thing like they're draining his knee, his hip, whatever, pre like he doesn't care, Like the dude's just tough and that and that's who he is. And so you're just like in the huddle, it's like, let's go do something special.
Speaker 1: Boys.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like yes, sir, you know, like nobody's touching you think of a necessary roughness if you will the movie, like nobody's gonna touch you. You know, like that's literally how you felt with Matthew Stafford in the huddle. And you know that drive obviously him and Cup really special and every play, you know, it's like that. You know, I look on the screen, it's like, hell man, it's fifteen play drift. Gosh, it felt like four months. You know it literally like every you're like, oh we found a first down. Oh we found a first down. Let's keep going, Let's keep going, let's keep going.
Speaker 1: Uh So it was.
Speaker 3: It was a wild, wild deal, but I think really special, you know, you always think those things in the way they end to have those two guys, the relationship they formed, the bond, the commitment they made to meet every single morning. We also that season had what we called the Breakfast Club meet Stafford and Cup and our wives would meet every single Tuesday, morning for breakfast. That whole entire season at Soho and Soo Soho and Malibu.
Speaker 1: We met every week.
Speaker 3: They'd have it like they were all ready for us every Tuesday morning and it really became a great bonding experience for us. And we even did it the week of the super Bowl. And the roughest one was the Tuesday after the super Bowl when we haven't none of us have slept it all. But it was like, hey, let's have one more and we met that morning and it was like, dude, what a journey this whole year we won a super Bowl. Now here we are sitting here having breakfast again. It was a special year, you know what.
Speaker 2: And that last drive pretty much summed up that team. Fifteen plays, you know, executing and gotta have it situations, key third downs, your go to players, making go to plays.
Speaker 1: One of the best.
Speaker 3: Not Loooks ever but not the I mean he invented it, you know, Patrick said this, like I know the people, but like Mahmes has actually said, like I grew up watching Stafford like throw the like he is the like I know nobody like talks about that much Like he is the guy who's like we invented that for a long time.
Speaker 2: Well Joe, Joe used to do it a little bit, yeah, a flat, a little little flat, but you know, he kind of took it a little crazy a couple times across.
Speaker 1: The damn middle.
Speaker 2: No one doesn't look across the middle. It's kind of like, what the fuck is this guy doing? It would be dialed right there. But to get back, you know, you guys got banged up. No sniveling, And that's what the heart of a champion really is. You know, next man up. You're not gonna sit and worry about things you can't control. And there was no better way to probably win a Super Bowl than having your offense on the field, going out having a long, methodical drive. And you know, I remember watching that. I was I was so happy for you just because you know, we had, you know, a little relationship, and and I was so happy for Matthew I won't call him Matt, just because of the career he had and the amount of losing he's been to and then all of a sudden, one year come out win it with the Rams. It was just a spectacular thing to watch. It was a great story. And like we were just talking, I mean even right now, like it's still the story still going for him and in Cup. So any after parties, I was any good stories for the after parties who performed at your after party?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: We actually, you know, I'm too old for all that, you know, So I wanted to do my own deal. So we we actually me Stafford and Cup and a couple others kind of went together and did stuff with h Wood, kind of set up a deal for us at Harriet's and West Hollywood and our families and stuff.
Speaker 1: So we had a deal there, you know, a no sleeper. Obviously. I think some people ended up at like Drake's house somewhere. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I ended up agreeing at some point in the night way too excited to do Good Morning America like Today's showing up a bunch of stuff. So I literally had like trucks sitting at my house when I got like five am in the morning, got there. They're waiting on me. I got in there, did that. I'm getting like gonna go back to the house like I think I'm going to sleep, and then I get a call and it's like, hey, Ellen wants you on today, And I was like let's do it, Like all right, Well, it's eight am. I'm you know, hammered. I go to sleep right now. I don't think I'm making it to Ellen at noon, so let's just keep rolling. So we just kept it rolling, and I went to Ellen and somehow I didn't get myself completely canceled or ruined from going on there with no sleep and uh still you know, pretty intoxicated.
Speaker 1: So then after that I passed out.
Speaker 3: You know. We had breakfast Club Tuesday, the parade that afternoon, and then uh, you know what, what's wild? We actually came right here to the wind. We spent way too long. We we got a little excited, you know, a bunch of parents, Coop and Anna and Kelly and Matthew and myself and my wife Melissa decided to take up the win on an offer to come have an epic week, and so we spent five days years five days. I didn't come back to Vegas. This the most impressive thing I've heard about this whole goddamned super out to Vegas for like a year because I was like, I don't even I don't ever want to see anything in Vegas for a long time.
Speaker 1: So it was five days.
Speaker 3: It ended with going to a Chainsmoker's concert at like two am at xs standard, oh Man, and I think it was one of those flights home where the six of us, I don't think anybody said a word to each other, Like it was no no talk going home. Everyone got in their car like no by hardly at all, Like you know, just we'll see you when we see you. We'll never talk about this again. Gosh club, We're done. We ate too much, drank too much, and slept zero.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 1: It was a wild week, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Man, that's gotta be awesome in your hometown, home team town.
Speaker 1: Get the dub go to Vegas.
Speaker 2: Final score was twenty three to twenty rams on top. Name of the game. What's the name of this game?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: We got to name this game?
Speaker 1: This one's for what?
Speaker 4: This one's for what?
Speaker 2: The Rams House game? We not me game?
Speaker 1: I think that we not me game?
Speaker 2: We me game. Let's do it all right, let's score the game presented by Win. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it stakes one to ten decimals. Okay, uh, here's what I'm gonna probably say. I'm gonna go seven point seven, seven point seven.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: I like that this is this is a man of Pro Score, Pro Score Score, Star Power team.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of size. I'm gonna go, honestly with the halftime show and everything. I'll put ten star Power, just be honest.
Speaker 2: Win a bunch of Hall of Famers on that damn field too.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: Gameplay O, you know, I thought kind of second half was a little of a bore for a while there, So I think if I had to do a gameplay on this one.
Speaker 7: Also, the penalty at the end kind of like takes a little to shine off.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, I or the penalty to start the half. But you know, we can have that conversation if you want. Anyways, she against pulled Jayalen Ramsey down by space. But anyway, so, uh say, let's go penalty for penalty, trying to make I'm going to seven point seven again?
Speaker 1: Seven point seven.
Speaker 8: This is a gronk.
Speaker 7: This is going to be a gronk style scorer.
Speaker 4: I wonder why we're going seven point.
Speaker 2: Seven the name of the game, ooh uh you know we not me game?
Speaker 3: Well, I think because it was the slogan that Sean McVay started when he took over the regime and lived it through because you had a lot of guys have to play in the game with everybody being injured. It wasn't one of these games where you had all the stars healthy, Uh, going toe to toe and the Bengals really had kind of a bad finish and just got on fire.
Speaker 1: Uh, you had to stop that momentum.
Speaker 2: I call it we not me game of nine nine, We not me game the back end Bengals, That's what I always called. They always start off sloan in a eight point six.
Speaker 1: Where does it go? What is it rank?
Speaker 2: In the games that we've done, Tyler, This is right.
Speaker 4: Between the twenty ten AFC Division Round game, that Can't Wait game.
Speaker 5: And the Bush game where Reggie bush Boy was crazy. No, no, no different, different Bush game her yards against Fresno.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're between nineteen.
Speaker 1: Did you catch on any of the method of my numbering?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: I knew the point behind you can you?
Speaker 4: I got the point seven, Cala explain the other two? Nine? Hold on, hold on, hold on, and some real numerology here.
Speaker 1: That's worse than math.
Speaker 4: Ten and nine, ten and nine.
Speaker 2: I don't know who ten and nine are anyways, Just ten and nine?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Oh, Matthews, come on guys, if you were at Rock that trip you think, I mean, I know what branding is.
Speaker 2: It's the win that trip, the win brought us here Cooper, Matthew and Big Win.
Speaker 7: If you're on Rob Gronkowski's level, you'd be able to do this math in your head.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he's grown a big math Guy's a mathematic really.
Speaker 1: I like to know that about it, big numbers guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Andrew, we you wan't to add anything to this anything, man, I appreciate the opportunity.
Speaker 3: Brother, dude, you got to keep killing it. You want to plug anything, I'm not a plugger. We had a plugger, not a soaker, a plugger anything. I just hang out, man, It's.
Speaker 2: Hey, man, I appreciate you coming. I've enjoyed our friendship over the years, even though we see each other rarely, but the times that we've seen each other.
Speaker 3: It's always good. Brother, It's always been great. I'm super big fan of what you've been doing on Amazon and as well. Man, keep trucking bro Let's line perspective, Road Team and the Home Team. Bro Team and the Home Team.
Speaker 2: Well that was a good episode.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, wait what again?
Speaker 2: Leader Leader?
Speaker 8: He was even protecting matt Matthew after like remember tired figures. Yes, Math's Matthew.
Speaker 4: It's Matthew. We breakfast every Tuesday at seven am. The wives were part of it.
Speaker 2: So la though, is it's very like going from Cincinnati having breakfast time at Skyline Chili to freaking having breakfast time with your wives at Soho Malibu, like.
Speaker 1: You you think it was.
Speaker 5: He said, I'm also gonna since he's not here and he can't beat me up. Mister, I'm from Louisiana down in the bio. Only drinks Perryer. Now, remember you're telling only only drinks sparkling.
Speaker 2: He said, it's because he's from the Bayou and all they drink is coke and it's lightnment like that ship man, I know they gotta avoid calories.
Speaker 7: His like deep cut on like being an offensive lineman and like.
Speaker 2: That's why he's so that's why he was great.
Speaker 5: He was he's all of Famer, big guy, great guy, and he gave us some good Sean McVay nuggets.
Speaker 1: That was awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty cool to see that. Like because he's eight years older than everyone, so he brought him in off of his experience and you know, he's a big part of the success of La Rams. Why the La Rams of the La Rams.
Speaker 4: Now, oh for sure, locker room guy, culture guy.
Speaker 2: I mean once once they lost him on the old line, you know, people were talking like this ain't Yeah he maybe forty, but he runs shop there. And you know because of what he the knowledge he gave to a lot of the young players, you could see that it's translating with this newer team.
Speaker 5: Seriously, Matt Longevity, I mean he was playing at lsu W and Saban was there. Yeah, then he was just playing in a super Bowl in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: Like that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Good, great on TV, too, great on TV.
Speaker 4: Man, he can do it all.
Speaker 8: No one rocks a sweater underneath the jacket, a hoodie underneath the jacket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does good.
Speaker 2: Ball to head, pulls off the ball to bring that up. Let's go back to February twenty twenty two. One movie Uncharted, Uncharted, great, great video game, great video game movie, unforgettable, unwatchable.
Speaker 5: This guy that would say, wasn't it little got him? Little guy from Outer Banks, the other kid. I don't know, I like that, I liked it.
Speaker 4: I never I don't I don't even know.
Speaker 2: If I saw it.
Speaker 8: We also don't need to do too much of a deep cup. This was just like this was two years ago.
Speaker 7: If you don't remember this back in that day, takee back in my day.
Speaker 2: We talk about Brun.
Speaker 7: I remember that, like it was two years ago.
Speaker 2: We used to listen to this in the car rides. This is a this is a favorite talk about Bruno. We don't talk about Brune.
Speaker 4: No big won movie, not even a kids movie.
Speaker 1: And I know it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, around this time, Apple became a trillion dollar company.
Speaker 4: Trillion three insane.
Speaker 2: I thought they had like a trillion.
Speaker 4: In cash something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: She can't wait to goggles.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, life.
Speaker 4: Never have to leave your house again.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: My phone has been going at slowers. We get a new one here sooner.
Speaker 8: I saw, I saw, I said Diplomat Tim Cook, and he was wearing the goggles.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, he's so cool with.
Speaker 2: Gosh, he's so funny.
Speaker 4: This was also the Slapper around the World month February twenty twenty two. Will Smith, Oh snap. Part of me feels like that was a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Part of me feels like it wasn't that's crazy.
Speaker 8: There is a bit of a COVID time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought for sure that was like some Hollywood stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we witnessed the Yeah, I don't think it was.
Speaker 8: I don't think it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yo, he's gonna get tossed after that.
Speaker 8: You got to he won an oscar.
Speaker 2: I know when he gets up there and get like, I guess if it's your night, it's your night.
Speaker 4: I guess. So I'm team Chris and this one always Chris Rock.
Speaker 2: Yeah on, man, you can't do that.
Speaker 4: Come on, I love will too.
Speaker 2: That seemed like some dude party.
Speaker 8: It's a classic example of your personal life affecting your work life.
Speaker 2: Thanks Craggy Tyler, Wordle that was introduced to the world.
Speaker 4: I'm never a wordle guy.
Speaker 2: I played a few times, just not smart enough for it.
Speaker 4: I was more of a words with friends with a bee, I like the spelling bee.
Speaker 2: On New York Times, Queen Elizabeth the Second celebrates her seventieth year in Britain. Talk about longevity serving as the monarch and now she's dead, alrip. I love that show.
Speaker 8: What the monarchy the Crown?
Speaker 2: So I learned about all that stuff. I had no clue did a.
Speaker 7: I feel like Angie would have a Princess died beanie baby.
Speaker 2: Oh my mom as well? Yeah, yeah, like every yeah, every I don't know my mom's age. If you're a woman of that age, you love Princess Die. I didn't know why why And then you go and you watch a show and I don't know where the show, who's making what? Make look what? But that's what I think, That's what I think of with like everything I learned about how the monarch works. I learned about like Britain's basically owned everything and then everyone started independent or like leaving and stuff just like that. Yeah, like that in her lifetime crazy she was, she took over and like her dad died at thirty five or something and what and she wasn't supposed to be a queen. Her dad's brother, her dad brother was supposed to be the king, but he did something that he was.
Speaker 8: He wanted to marry an American.
Speaker 2: He did something, Yeah, and so then he became king ends up dying. She becomes queen at seventeen, and like that's when all like everything from everyone started breaking away from the Britain. I don't know, it's a good show. You guys should watch.
Speaker 7: I just I just I just read something or saw tech talk or anything recently. That King Charles now he doesn't like buy in completely to modern medicine, and so he has like a potionist. He's got like someone making impotions and shit, this is the King of England.
Speaker 4: Geez.
Speaker 8: I checked me on that later. Jack Sports World.
Speaker 2: Sports World National Champions Georgia os Heisman Trophy winner Bryce Young.
Speaker 8: I wonder how he's gonna pan out.
Speaker 2: He needs to have a team around him. That's tough. His strength is not like running around and looking like a phenom athlete. His strength is like distributing, reading defense. You know, he's a point guard. He just that's gonna take a while and a good coach around him. Super Bowl La Rams were the champions. We went over the game n F MVP Aaron Rodgers. It was only two years ago, m VP.
Speaker 8: This the first of the back to back crazy yeah right, I think so yeah wow.
Speaker 7: And then Brady retires for the first time. Huh remember Brady like false started his retirement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then he came back later.
Speaker 8: Because of the It was like it was like a schefter tweet, old schefter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shooting from the hip mm hmmm, just letting it spray baby, hm hmm.
Speaker 7: Messi and Argentina wins the World Cup over Membapie and Frank Was that game was?
Speaker 8: I was saying, that's a classic.
Speaker 4: Games with That's a game. That is a game.
Speaker 2: I would love to do a full games with names with Messi in Spanish.
Speaker 8: I sneaky thinks he speaks English, doesn't do it publicly. I'll get a leg baby, dude, I'm full MLS since Messi has been.
Speaker 2: So maybe like we'll cut in between things where because my Spanish is ma somanos But like, yo, wait up, how do you say almost a d uh? That was a fucking sick ass goal?
Speaker 4: Best episode yet? Oh my god, that would rock.
Speaker 2: That'd be tight. National League fully adopts the d H.
Speaker 4: Hate it, hate it, hate it, hateball. Can't do anything right these days.
Speaker 8: Hate it the shot clock I think did something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're watching on TV. But if you go to a game, you always want the game to be as long as possible. Like when I was a kid, we go to a Giants game, like on a school night, I was praying for extratings just in case my mom. It's like you guys, were up so late. You know, that was what I was hoping for.
Speaker 4: Free baseball, Mom, what's the legacy for this game?
Speaker 2: McVeigh?
Speaker 5: We got big ars answered, Yeah, where does? What does this do for mcveigh's career and kind of putting him on that.
Speaker 4: That short list of best active coaches. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I mean, he's like that new generation. He's like the start of the young gun coach that everyone looked for. Everyone's looking for the next McVeigh.
Speaker 7: It was interesting hearing Whitworth talking about McVeigh because it seems like he had a lot of parallels with what you've said about Belichick in terms of like attention to detail, focusing this is this, But it seems like he's got a more modern approach with how he handles like the players and like the personnel and hot stuff. It's just interesting to see what kind of works and doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's multiple ways to the to the top, Kyler, I think it's curious modern way.
Speaker 3: No I'm not.
Speaker 8: Don't you come at me. I'm the biggest bill guy there is. All right, dude, I think they fucked up getting rid.
Speaker 2: Of West mass You hear that right now?
Speaker 5: It is funny guy that's thirty eight years old and you're already talking about let makevagh coaching tree.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's how you know you're doing something right.
Speaker 2: That's when you know you're doing something right when you're thirty eight Yardaddy's magadaddy talk.
Speaker 8: You played against them.
Speaker 2: We played against him.
Speaker 8: When we get him on, we've been talking to him, we'll see.
Speaker 2: We gotta get his I gotta get his dad on. His dad, his dad's Ohio. They're Ohio people. You know what I mean, football coach. But I went to the practice to do that Cooper Cup interview. Oh that's right. And you know he's a football coach because he gets straight up in your face and like he's like right in your face telling you a story. Literally, like we're about to make out.
Speaker 4: Cohose talkers like you remember the editor.
Speaker 2: I was at that game here. I'm like, yeah, like you just tell and then he'd walk away go do something. He'd come right back over and get my face.
Speaker 1: I'm like.
Speaker 2: That that's in the blood. The coaching's in the blood. I love it. Oh yeah, mcvazer NFL Royalty.
Speaker 5: Let's see with some other legacy questions that staff this one Stafford. Where does this kind of what does this do for the Stafford? Yeah, if you don't win this, you think you still think Hall of Fame. You know, the yards and everything in Detroit were sick, but you didn't have a playoff win till this season.
Speaker 2: So who else is in that class? Who else is in his years? See, that's what you gotta think of Stafford's class is weird because he overlaps a couple.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's kind of like a Gens X person where he's kind of like.
Speaker 1: In the middle.
Speaker 4: He was oh nine draft the same year. Oh yeah, so Sanchez was in that draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean with the Super Bowl one first ballot. Okay, I mean yeah, he's a tough football player too.
Speaker 8: Man Rivers is probably gonna get him without a win.
Speaker 2: Like I'm taking Maddy Stafford over Phil Yeah.
Speaker 4: Same over Breeze. Yeah, I mean I probably would.
Speaker 8: They're definitely there's a conversation there. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I do kind of lump them together in my head. It's sort of like in the same orbit of guy. I guess I think he also would.
Speaker 4: Put in there.
Speaker 7: The only difference with Breeze versus Stafford is Breeze was able to like resurrect the Saints a little bit and Stafford, whether it's his thing or not, that's for debate. But Stafford was never able to resurrect the.
Speaker 8: Lions how to leave and get success alswhere So, if there's any.
Speaker 2: Sean Payton versus the fifteen coaches, Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 8: Had Drew Brees, never had Calvin Johnson.
Speaker 2: Matthew Stafford was competing against Drew Brees and with just Calvin Johnson, I'm saying, and he had a couple other players, but like he used to get beat up. Yeah, I don't know. I mean, that's a good that's a great argument.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're very similar. I can see both ways on that.
Speaker 2: Will Joe Burrow win a super Bowl in Cincinnati, that's a tough one.
Speaker 7: I don't you know what they do have the Chiefs slaying Geen if anyone as that, they've.
Speaker 8: Done it for the Bengals.
Speaker 2: But he's been hurt a bunch a lot in.
Speaker 4: The first couple of years here, and can they keep that right?
Speaker 2: No one's talked about that, and we all talk about Lamar and you know, my guy, Joey b it's just he's gotten to a super Bowl, but he.
Speaker 1: He gotta.
Speaker 2: He gotta stay on the field, bro, because he's you know what I mean. And then are they what are they gonna do? They're gonna lose, boyd or they they gotta They still have to address the offensive line. The defense is always really good. Hubbart Hendrickson and Loui Morillo. Yeah, I saw him. I saw him in Vegas.
Speaker 4: He's a good old football school. He was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was cool. We had a drink.
Speaker 4: I love that because he was.
Speaker 2: We used to battle against each other when he was in Miami.
Speaker 4: What's he drink, by the way, Yeah, beer guy.
Speaker 2: We were all having a little tequila. Hey all right, I like that little Tommy t.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, baby, hell yes, I mean I think Joey b gets one. I think he gets one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So who let's talk about AFC right now. Okay, Lamar Patrick Mahomes. If this was the year to get Patrick Mahomes. I know they had a great defense, but like if you had a shootout, you could win second down and have a blitz package against the Chiefs. I mean, this was your year. Okay, So Lamar, you got a piste off Josh Allen. This guy's been humiliated. He's watching all this stuff right now. You don't think Josh Allen's pissed off at home? Who he's getting into that eight nine year or this is it's starting to come and you know what I mean? And what about John Harbaugh and Justin Herbert?
Speaker 4: What about that could be a nice little duo.
Speaker 2: So it's just gonna it's getting harder and harder.
Speaker 3: No, I know.
Speaker 4: And talent's just rising and rising. And you got c. J. Stroud coming on, stro, You got a new young buck coming on.
Speaker 2: You got I don't know, Trevor Lawrence needs to get it. We gotta we gotta do something down there. That was a bad miss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now that you think about it this year, and I.
Speaker 2: Know it's the teams, but it's a quarterback, you know what I mean. I know it looks it looked it was always Spurts with and then all of a sudden you're like, what the hell are we doing? Why the Jacksonville what are we doing here?
Speaker 5: After the after they had that come back against the Chargers in the playoffs last year, it was like, oh the.
Speaker 4: Peterson Peterson.
Speaker 2: They were banged up a lot. You know, you gotta learn it. That's another thing. That's why it's looking look at how why the Kansas City Chiefs. How come they got to figure it out? Oh no, they know how to?
Speaker 4: They know, they know consistency.
Speaker 2: Can they're the Kings.
Speaker 8: What do you think about this being able to reflect on this with two years the Jared Goff Matthew Stafford trade.
Speaker 2: Probably the best trade for both teams in the history league. Jared Goff, he's about to get another huge deal. Now how much he wants to take will dictate on how good his success will be. And Matty Matt Stafford, and he got a ball and he looked like he just got resurgent this year. M hm like he looks insane. He is tough. They're only gonna get better. They found Puka. You're gonna get Coop healthier next year. They're gonna get a couple of their offensive line played damn well, they're only gonna get better playing together, adding Williams, Karen Williams defense, young gun. Just I wonder what they're gonna do with Aaron Aaron Donald. But the guy next to him, he was a second team All Pro, you know what I mean? So like that's what but you see if Aaron Donald retires or he doesn't play, You're gonna start to see why that guy was second team All Pro potentially. And I'm not taking anything away from but when you get to play next to, you know, generational talent like you get, it makes you better because you're getting the favorable matchup most of the time.
Speaker 4: Are we talking John Williams here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I because that looked like one of those deals where it's like, oh, he feel so bad for golf. He got shipped out to Detroit. He's gonna go there and die like it's gonna suck. And then now they're the most fun team.
Speaker 7: I'm so happy for the city of Detroit that they were able to beat the Rams because that would have been catastrophic for that city.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and then we did a matchup. I forgot it the big match.
Speaker 8: Like I was like watching the games, like if the Rams like lose this games, like whatever.
Speaker 2: DC, you got to tighten it up, man. I love the aggressiveness, but we gotta settle down. Dude. I know you're Parcels guy right or Peyton Sean Payton, Sean Payton guy, take some points, man, come on, man.
Speaker 7: Okay, So to wrap up this game, it's the we not game. We not me gag saying score eight point six.
Speaker 2: It should be the breakfast club gang breakfast, don't you.
Speaker 4: John?
Speaker 2: Is that what they do now when they leave the parking lot of soho soho halloa tires.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fum all time, fist bump oh. And then we got to talk about the numerology.
Speaker 2: He did here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he threw us off.
Speaker 2: Hey, no, that's I was slow.
Speaker 8: On the other time, that's hard on my radar.
Speaker 4: I was, I was the as these are of the numbers here? What do you think about that?
Speaker 7: I mean, I like that the score wasn't that high. I think it's still higher than it should be. But like I like like his team, his comarade.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think because he went to seventy sevens you gotta threw it like a random number in there. That was the outcome. Come to something better, right because he double is like, yeah, I'm an eighty six.
Speaker 4: As a diner talk maybe eighty.
Speaker 8: Six score gameplay.
Speaker 7: It did kind of end on somewhat of a controversial call. There was another like if the biggest moments of the game are like two controversial calls, that kind of takes away from like the sanctity of the gameplay.
Speaker 2: The name I never heard we not me.
Speaker 8: It sounds nice a rhymes, but like culturally it's not really there, right right, it's star Power.
Speaker 2: Fine, this is a breakfast This is a breakfast club.
Speaker 4: Score Yeah, breakfast love store with the mine now score.
Speaker 8: All right, Well that's that's that episode.
Speaker 2: Let's do the Let's hit the whole hot line to see what's on your mind again. That number is four two four two nine one two two nine.
Speaker 11: Zero doing don't b'll check.
Speaker 1: Just get off the stupid.
Speaker 11: Damn podcast for getting the fucking team back together already called tom is gonna be here tomorrow. Get your fucking ass to practice tomorrow. Get grown, come with them. We're gonna get this fucking shit going. I'm not going anywhere else for starting a new fucking team. Really need fucking eleven guys. Get the fucking practice tomorrow. I don't want no bullshit.
Speaker 2: Feel put your fucking ship on. I'm telling you, it's gonna be raining. Get out, see you on the grass. That's pretty good. Pretty good, bums.
Speaker 4: I like Eddie's starting.
Speaker 2: Start sending in their Belichick impersonations and then I'll just give a ranking on it.
Speaker 8: I like that that's a whole new podcast the spinoffs.
Speaker 2: And then uh, I can't wait for the first time that I see Bill in person. He's probabing a mother fucking over it. Luck juels like, what the fuck me? Just shut the fuck up about my whole voice.
Speaker 8: Hey, maybe that's in the Fox Green Room next year.
Speaker 4: Oh man, oh boy, Frank kelland in.
Speaker 6: There too, Yo, guys, it's your boy doll from PA quick question and.
Speaker 3: Better and a pair of jort gronks or jewels and why is.
Speaker 10: It actually Jackie?
Speaker 6: Thanks?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh me, I know that much, brother.
Speaker 5: The legs are a point of emphasis this offseason in the weight room, so it ain't me, but I will say the amount of comments we would get last season when we were back in.
Speaker 4: New York on the jorts. The people love the jorts. You rock him, brother?
Speaker 2: You know where? You know where I got the jeorts from?
Speaker 4: Frank? No, those two were Jessica Simson and Dukes of Hazzard.
Speaker 2: You guys remember Flipper, Yeah, the old one from like Nick and Knight. Yeah, a little kid used to have jort. Oh my god, I thought that was tight.
Speaker 4: I would not have guessed that as where he got him from.
Speaker 2: He got his name. But I like that show. Okay, I lived in Hawaii, had jeorts. It was a fucking pet dolphin, like the one from the like the Burt Rend like from the sixties, that one. No, it's like a TV show Flipper.
Speaker 4: Oh, the New Adventures of Flipper. I think I was looking at Flipper. It looks like Flipper was revised in ninety five as the New Adventure.
Speaker 2: It's way older than that, Like it's from like the sixties.
Speaker 4: That's when I said the sixties earlier it was. He was in like some of them.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: Brian Kelly Luke, the kid.
Speaker 2: It was a kid, Yeah, Bud Ricks.
Speaker 4: Aka Tommy Norton also known as Tommy Norton. Yeah, he was uh yeah, all right, yeah he was a George rocker.
Speaker 8: I feel like George is not the best attire if you're going to be by the ocean, all I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need more of a year a wicked material.
Speaker 4: Oh man, yeah, he's got them things on Tommy shout out Tommy.
Speaker 2: Norton bro hell yeah, hell yeah, a good question.
Speaker 4: Gronk. I bet Gronk could pull him off though.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, his vmos look tight as hell.
Speaker 4: Hell he is well Jules Allo High School kids from fox bor and uh we just my football team just want to state championship.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was wondering if you heard about that. What do you think Foxborough High statey at the Turkey Bowl because I played. I think they played the state championships in Gillette. Yeah, let's fucking go Foxborough High. Hell yeah we were so. We were referenced to you guys so many times when we had a bad football player.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, a lot of those kids could beat you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, according to coach, Hey, kids have fucking Foxborough High. I could do so technically, coach, we really could. They're state champions.
Speaker 8: But hey, Massachusetts state championships are bullshit. Why it was like twenty five of them. They've got more state champions than Texas.
Speaker 2: Why don't you Why don't you just crap in their corn flakes?
Speaker 8: No, it's good for them.
Speaker 2: Kyler kids just won state.
Speaker 8: And someone who lost the Division three B Super Bowl Central Mass versus Western Mass.
Speaker 2: There it is, guys, Hey, he just he hates you because he hates you. He hates you because he ain't you. Foxboro High playing in their own backyard. The second rank Foxborough High team clinched the i AA Division five Super Bowl forty eight twenty one over top ranked and over high. Hey Kyler, did they win the last game they could have played in it?
Speaker 8: Sure's the congratspots for high Shitna.
Speaker 2: We're sending you guys.
Speaker 8: We've got no information on text us say some merged dog.
Speaker 10: Hell yeah, hey, Jules, my name is Megan. I am twenty two and I go to your alma Martar, Kent State University. I wanted to call in and ask that you bring on someone of the life of Nick Saban or someone who was on the ten state championship team and talk about that big football win before Staban, of course went to professional league to coach. Also wanted to say, I've been trying to DM you.
Speaker 6: On Instagram because I would love it if you could come to my graduation from kentn State of course this spring twenty twenty four.
Speaker 10: It's on the apent by the way.
Speaker 6: Anyway, I think it'd be really dope if you talked about that game. Anyway, I hope to see you do this and hope to see you at my graduation maybe hah yeah, Okay.
Speaker 11: By.
Speaker 4: Megan.
Speaker 8: It took to ten years to go to his own graduation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we definitely gotta Megan. We gotta get saving on rock. He's doing TV with the ESPN.
Speaker 8: Now I know he's called College Game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got to get on here.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: He goes on McAfee all the time. Come on here, come see.
Speaker 2: Us, baby. He was I think he's he gives he's our number one booster is really I think or he's something like that. He donates the most of our football program. Hell yeah, that's fucking awesome.
Speaker 4: I'm a miss Terry baby love him.
Speaker 2: I would love to have a conversation with Nick. Have you guys ever met? We've met I think in passing, But yeah, man, I love coach Saban. I was a type fan because of coach Saban a little bit save.
Speaker 5: I think we all kind of like, yeah, like I just want to witness greatness and keep rooting them on what game.
Speaker 2: I just like because he went to Kent State. Did he play at Kent State or he like, yeah, he played nineteen she's talking about nineteen seventy two. I think it was seventy two. Is the last time we went?
Speaker 8: Is that when Jack Lambert was there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he played with our I think coach may have played with.
Speaker 8: Him because Limbert was drafted, what seventy four.
Speaker 5: Saban was there from seventy to seventy two, just defensive back, baby, But then he was a GA at Kent State from seventy three to seventy four, seventy five, seventy six linebackers coach. So yeah, he got his playing careers going there and coach his begin his coaching career there.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, what a fucking guy.
Speaker 5: What about a Flashes baby, Golden Flash? What about Antonio Gates? You guys definitely running too each other.
Speaker 2: We've seen each other like an All Star or something.
Speaker 8: I think I saw him at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: He was around.
Speaker 2: I'm dafting. I mean, Joe Walsh.
Speaker 4: I'm just going down my list of great Kenton State guys.
Speaker 2: Michael Keaton, Michael Keaton.
Speaker 4: People forget Jim Oh, Jim, Drew Carey, Drew.
Speaker 8: Carrey character, he'd be an awesome guess. He's a he's like a old time football fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Cleveland Rocks.
Speaker 2: Rocks dude.
Speaker 4: Oh, Steve Harvey too, shout.
Speaker 1: Out Steve Harvey.
Speaker 4: Our Sinio, dude, our Sineo. We're punching above our way here at Kent State.
Speaker 8: Hey we oh ship David Sedaris.
Speaker 2: Kent State. Man, I'm telling you we got some fucking people. We we when I when I went on my visit there, they go, Yeah, we have the uh we have the research team that developed the plasma TV. Hell yeah. Three weeks later the LCD came out ruined it.
Speaker 4: Plasma was not the wave after that. Fuck Oh, James Arison, shout out James Arison.
Speaker 8: Harrison, Gary guy, Yeah, get him get him on, do that. He had that like ninety nine yards return for cars down.
Speaker 4: What about what's now?
Speaker 2: I'm thinking we gotta get James Harrison off.
Speaker 4: He's a legend, bro, he could legend.
Speaker 2: You guys left this whole house.
Speaker 8: You guys had a little layover it or little play together. Yeah, what is what is ken?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: What is Kent State? Like in the spring around graduation time.
Speaker 2: May fourth, nineteen seventy is when they had the shooting. Not cool the state the state troopers. Yeah. But the crazy thing is that was like that weekend was like a party weekend for it or something. It was like the biggest craziest. There was Sherman Street, there was College Street, College fast Ermania. Oh, it's pretty crazy, but that was an awesome episode. Thank you again. Told Whitworth spectacular to have him on. We gotta do some shit with him. Awesome. I think he's out, he's around here.
Speaker 4: No, I think he's still around regardless.
Speaker 2: If you need me for anything, I'm there, Bubs. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to your podcasts. Come on a game you want us to do, and remember to rate and review. To rate and review, remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a message on the hot light glean at four two four two nine one two two nine to zero and we'll see you guys next week later.
Speaker 8: Also, thank you to win Las Vegas for their hospitality.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for picking up my room service fees and stuff. To see you guys next week. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.