Speaker 1: Who Do Who. Special announcement alert, I repeat special announcement alert. If you live in the city of San Francisco, California, we are doing a big, jam packed Stradio Lab live show on Friday, January seventeenth at Cobbs Comedy Club as part of SF's Sketch Fest. We cannot wait to see you, guys. Tickets are available in our Instagram bios and on linktred dot com slash Stradio Lab. That's l I n K t r ee dot com slash Stradio Lab. Tell your friends, spread the word. This is one of the biggest shows we've ever done. It's our first time doing Sketch Fest. We cannot wait to see you. We can't wait to be in San Francisco in January and escape the frigid New York cold and also I guess the very warm Los Angeles weather for Sam and we can't wait to see you January seventeenth at Cobbs Comedy Club, part of SF Sketch Fest. See you there and enjoy the show.
Speaker 2: Podcast starts now. Wow Wow Wow. First of all, Happy holidays from holidays here as Tradio Lab.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling it. I know, I said I wasn't in the holiday mood last time we spoke about the concept of being in the holiday mood, but I actually fully am.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling in a big way. I think being in LA, you really have to manufacture it. And so I've made a conscious choice to like put on Christmas music, like to like pretend like it's cold out, and so I'm kind of feeling it's kind of working.
Speaker 1: You know, I really want to get into LA, first of all, the concept of manufacturing and Los Angeles more broadly, because of course, like so many things in LA, initially it seems surface level and then you realize it text the deepest possible, the deepest possible concept. It's like, at first, you know you want to be like, well, of course everything's manufactured in LA. You manufacturer holiday Spirit, you manufacturer Buzz, your manufacturer wards Buzz, manufacturer beauty. You can go to the doctor say I want on your face, okay, And so initially that seems like, oh, it's a vapid it's this vapid town. No, no, no, In fact, it's actually a window into how everything is made. You think it's just LA that's manufacturing the holiday spirit, honey, it's all manufactured, and not just that, but LA is so much better than everywhere else because it is upfront about it and because it invented manufacturing holidays.
Speaker 2: Say, it knows how to manufacture better than anyone else. Yeah, so they can manufacture in a way that other people can only dream of.
Speaker 1: And the fact that that is the industry, that's the town's industry, in fact, makes it not dumber but more sophisticated, like it is, are you kidding me? Everyone else is going around thinking the holiday spirit is natural. People know it's crafted. They know it's crafted, and they are like, all right, let's have a meeting and talk about how we can craft it. For Q four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the Paramot lot where I work, they set up a big Christmas tree and they had like Christmas tree lighting with like a band that played like Christmas hits and they had fake snow And I'm like, now that is genius, Like yeah, it's fully like sixty five degrees out and they're like having fake snow women in little like Santa outfits, like singing a song about Christmas.
Speaker 1: It's groundbreaking stuff. It's interesting thinking about that. I'm thinking, am I more moved? This is a really important question. Am I more moved by the manufactured fake snow just by the human ability to create something like that? Or am I more moved by suddenly everything is fake? Everything is fake. You go outside in you York, real snow is like the fact that breaking through all the fake stuff. Is that more emotionally resonant or is the is the incredible effort to create something more emotionally resonant? And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously, from my own perspective, I do feel that the natural snow feels grander. It's nice to be like, no one created this but the weather. Yeah, and so it actually it feels like it's from a higher power.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think you almost have to go through both. You have to first be moved by the fake snow and go through the process of telling yourself how beautiful this is. We did it. We came up with the technology to create snow, and that's enough. You have a day of thinking that's enough. Then you go outside you see real snow. It's even more moving due to your previous the previous process of convincing yourself that the fake snow was moving.
Speaker 2: It's like, this is what snow is based on. Yeh, yeh, and you're like, wow, snow is based on snow.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like going to an incredible Michelin star rated molecular astronomy restaurant having the meal of your life. Next day, you know you have to go to your grandma's. You're sort of dreading it. You know, it's it's tough seeing your family members get old. Last time you saw her, maybe she said something a little problematic. You go there, she gives you she said, oh I made a pound cake. Like here we fucking go. You have a taste of the pound cake. You start crying.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Real snow is grandma's pound cake. Fake snow is gastronomy.
Speaker 1: Well, let's we are. We are in it. We are locked in.
Speaker 2: Should we just start, Well, we should start. And so today we're going to be covering the ins and outs for twenty twenty five because you know what a year twenty twenty four has been. We have experienced it in so many ways. Shout out to the new pop girls. We have a whole new generation of things. All of a sudden, I would say, it happened so fast.
Speaker 1: It was a it was a good year for.
Speaker 2: What was it? A good year for I think it was a good year for change.
Speaker 1: It was a good year for change. It was a good year for I mean, dare I say it was a good year for pop culture?
Speaker 2: Dare I say to.
Speaker 1: Phrase it in such straightforward, crass terms, like there's something about, uh, there is something about you know, even just the triumph of Charlie xx. Yeah, alt one, alt one, And it's almost like it won too much. Yeah. And and gay guys won, and gay guys won in both good and bad ways, like gay guys also won in absolutely repugnant ways. I mean literally, there are two gay men that are gonna or there's one gay man that's gonna be in Trump's cabinet. And now they I read this, if he gets if he gets confirmed, there will have been three gay men total that have been in like cabinet level positions. And of the three, two two of them were in different Trump administrations.
Speaker 2: Who's the gay man in Trump's cabinet.
Speaker 1: It's the guy Oh my god, you know that headgshrend manager that beset. Oh god, I am so ignorant.
Speaker 2: I just didn't know this was happening. Oh yeah, I am the ignorant one.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: Scott Bessent, Scott Bessent.
Speaker 1: Who's gonna be Who's going to be Treasury secretary?
Speaker 2: Wow? You know I hooked up with the Canadian Secretary of Treasury once.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Well, hopefully he wasn't right wing.
Speaker 2: I actually don't know where he stood. I just knew that he was the Canadian Secretary of as well.
Speaker 1: So I've read a little bit about the Scott Bessent and apologizes if it's Bessent, because you know, I swear by print media. I'm not gonna turn on a television to tell me how to pronounce something. But it doesn't look like it doesn't look like it's hards in the right place. Let's just say that.
Speaker 2: Let's just say that.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting that of the three people you know, Buddha Judge of course is the one Democrat and the other two. One was in the first Trump administration, one is uh is going to be in the second fingers crossed. He it's been from y'all foray for gay progress anyway. The point is to go back to your to your assertion gay one, both in good and bad ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and gay one, I mean gay lesbians one two I do think, well, I think the whole Chapel thing is like, well, at least bisexuals one. I think bisexuals really feel emboldened right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but okay, but I think Chapel and Renee Rap did the interesting thing of like really of all of truly transitioning from by to lesbian. That's true, which is interesting because it used to be the stereotype used to be quote unquote bisexual for clout. Now that's not something I made up, so don't come at me.
Speaker 2: Both that used to put down.
Speaker 1: But it is interesting. It's an interesting thing that these two by you know, high profile bisexual musicians both were like, I am a lesbian. Yeah, so in that sense, lesbians did win.
Speaker 2: That sends lesbian's one. I do think. I'm feeling like bisexual women are taking on the aesthetics of lesbians more and more, even if they're not saying that least haven't.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think, have we had this conversation before? I'm having incredible day, Javou, Like we we literally have had a conversation bisexual women are going from straight to lesbian? Right?
Speaker 2: I don't know if we have. If we have, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's not your fault. But but bisexuals, by the way, nowhere in my ins and outs. But since we're on the topic, I'm almost like, is that is bisexual is? Are bisexuals out?
Speaker 2: I do think bisexual jokes have reached a natural endpoint, and with that, I also think I do kind of think bisexual is out.
Speaker 1: Here's what I think. I think the initial round of bisexual jokes, you know, very mean spirited, Like the idea that people actually think quote unquote bisexuals don't exist is over, which is a great thing. And I think it's great to have bisexual visibility. Some of my best friends are bisexual. We are some of the best guests we've had on this podcast are bisexual. Because now we've reached bisexual acceptance, what happens is, potentially people will feel more empowered to make jokes because it's a much more stable category in the sense that you and I can make gig eye jokes and say the f slur because we're not worried that we're going to be stoned when we leave our apartments. So it's almost like maybe a second round of bisexual humor has more JOI de vive because it's not as hateful and mean spirited.
Speaker 2: I love that theory. I hope you're right.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I think we should get into it because we have long lists.
Speaker 2: We have long lists. I didn't say how many. We didn't tell each other how many are on each other's lists.
Speaker 1: I haven't decided how many I'm gonna do. Yeah, okay, I have got you.
Speaker 2: Kick us off.
Speaker 1: I have an out that I think might be a good intro. Okay, So my first out is the paranoid, defensive style of speaking. So this is something I'm very guilty of. I'll give you an example. I'm introducing the concept of ins and outs, and I say, you know, obviously these are not literal. Obviously we are just having fun here. And of course some of these are not are not worded in a way that kind of talking that's out Wow, And it's such a it's such a specifically millennial style of talking. I would say it is the style of talking you get from growing up with like digital media that is constantly telling you which things are good and which things are problematic. It is growing up with this like obsession with analyzing pop culture and with literally being like I watched an episode of friends, but having to first caveat that with being like, well, I know it's a show that can be really not inclusive at times.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't I don't love that they like are all white, but exactly show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's something about that that is actually doing the opposite of what you think it's doing, because you think that you are being so intelligent, but in fact, what you're doing is disrespecting your audience because guess what your audience knows, friends is white.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's preparing for like the internet. Yeah, like to consume it.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: You don't need to do that anymore.
Speaker 1: And it's this, it's imagining the worst kind of reaction to every little thing you're thinking. And it also stems from a place of narcissism too, because you're like, you adopt this tone of like giving a press release, giving a press conference, and it's like you're just some guy.
Speaker 2: You think people are really unpacking your words and.
Speaker 1: It's likely no one gives a shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and actually this kind of goes with an inn that I also think is obvious and almost too obvious to So I'll get it out up top but casual bigotry. I think will be very very in yes, And I think like because now there's almost like like it's already been on like podcast culture, like calling things gay pejorative word. Yeah, yeah, But I think it'll become more mainstream. I think it'll be on TV shows. I think like, and it'll be like in this way that's like self aware and they're not like trying to be problematic, but it will be like we'll look back on it and be like, oh, that was weird that that was going on.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the classic. The first time this happened then it was there was like a famous internet essay about this, and I wish I knew where it was. But someone like coined the term ironic racism. Do you remember this? This was like a thing people really talked about. And it's very much.
Speaker 2: Like early two thousands common early.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like think about the the like Austin Powers humor, think about like.
Speaker 2: Sarah Silverman when like, yes special back then.
Speaker 1: Sarah Silverman's special blackface, Jimmy Fallon doing blackface like this this kind of thing. My worry is that this new round of it will actually be like more violent or not violent, but like less ironic, like yeah, I'm almost there's a real mean spiritedness to it that's like a backlash to the kind of wave of the latest wave of political correctness that let's say was defined like the twenty tens, and which is why.
Speaker 2: You're like, way of speaking, I think ties into it because you aren't gonna be worried about whether they're coming off as bigoted. They'll be like, well, yeah, it's like I don't care if someone misunderstands me. I don't need to get caveat this. Yeah, which I mean, it is a bummer. It's going to be annoying, and it's going to be like it's like a little it's like the evil calls like it like it will feel fun, Like you'll want to be bad and be like I can do that, I can do that.
Speaker 1: But you like it's this false promise of freedom, like it's you're sort of it's such a warped view of freedom because what you actually want is not not to be racist. What you actually want is to like be allowed to make.
Speaker 3: Art and and and you and and a certain type of person gets a rush from saying something inappropriate and that masquerades as real creative output.
Speaker 2: Or something. Yeah, I think you will see like a stand up comedian who is straight, like do a gay character as like and it'll like be viral. This is my prediction. These are my predictions. Just thought I could say, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Let's see I can do an in Okay, this.
Speaker 2: Is like Christmas. I feel like we're like sharing presents for each other.
Speaker 1: It's so much fun. Okay. I have two that are very related. So I think cultural like elitist forms of art like going to the opera, going to the ballet, going to the theater, but not like Broadway musicals, like going to the theater and being like well versed in Chekhov's plays, but especially things like the opera and the ballet. And then related to that is formalware. Like I said last year that workwhere would be out. I'm taking a step further. I really think we're gonna start seeing like ties, like people wearing ties to their tech job. Like ties. Ties are back in a huge way, and not bow ties because bow ties have a flare, of ironic flare. There's gonna be it's gonna be like your father's Brooks Brothers tie. Yeah. Related to this, you know the met Gala theme this coming year is the the Black Dandy mm hmm. And I think potentially, like the aesthetics of the Dandy will really be in the cultural, in the culture in a way that will then remind people how fun it is to dress in sort of formal, over the top ways, and they'll be like, you know, opening their closets looking at all their pairs of Stan ray pants and Carhart and they'll say, oh my god, what have I been missing out on all these years?
Speaker 2: Wow? This is an interesting theory. I think you're right. I mean, the problem with the ins and outs for this year is, of course, Trump is looming over all of it. Of course, so I do feel that like you saying, sort of the opera the ballet is back, I do think is true. And I do think it's because people are going to be annoyed at popular culture and almost taking pride in their alienation.
Speaker 1: And I think related to Trump. Last time, okay, let's say we're okay. Cultural elites. Last time Trump won, their instinct was to quote unquote relate to the common American, and I think this time it will be the opposite. It'll be be sort of reaffirming their own elite status. With no care in the world, Like before they weren't going to the opera. Before they were like I'm going to travel to Kentucky and meet a farmer. And now they're going to the opera and in hushed tones they're like, aren't farmers so stupid?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're kind of like you guys voted for him. You can add yes, yes, we're going to the opera, right, So that's that's great. I have a related in Okay, go being rich and not ashamed. I think before it was about if you had money, you would hide it, and now I think, well, we're going to see like I think early two thousands really did this too, where it's like you really like are like ooh, I want to be rich rich, like that girl's rich and that's awesome, Like oh, we have to go to this club where all the rich people go, and I think it'll be like rich is in. No one's going to be Bushwick is out basically, and you're not pretending to be poor anymore. You're like riches in, rich is in.
Speaker 1: And I think something that's semi related to that is the general exhaustion with a NEPO baby conversation like yeah, it no longer scratches an itch to be like, look I discover his tax returns. He's rich. No one cares anymore. Like yeah, the idea that I that I am like, did you know that actress's father is a billionaire?
Speaker 2: No one cares, No one cares, And it's like you'll almost just assume it. Yeah, it's like, yeah, she's an actress. Okay, I have an out that I can do. Okay.
Speaker 1: I think something that's out to me is the concept of press tours. Like interesting, there's I press toars now for huge movies like you know, Barbie Wicked whatever, they last basically three years. Yeah, And I know we just said that the kind of like over the top aesthetics of wealth are in. But I actually think this the sort of over the top like marketing budget is out, Like I can't. I think there's gonna be exhaustion with just like seeing these celebrities say the same personal anecdotes over and over again, like seeing the like the way we were charmed by Gaga saying there can be one hundred people in a room a million times, I think was like the peak of how charming that can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to agree with you this one I'm struggling with because I am like, I feel like I still think I think memes are going to continue to be sort of the main Internet humor, and I think it's such a generator for that, and I think this Wicked tour almost made it so it's like clearer that that's the case. Like I think people are going to try to be more insane to get pressed for their movie.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe right, because because in fact, the memes that have been made from the press tour are way more sticky than the ones that have been made about the movie itself. I mean, which is so interesting to think about, Like for let's say, for a Star is Born, which is where a hundred people in a room came from the things we remember. The things that were memes were actually from the movie. It was like her fake songs, like the fact that her name was Ali, or the looking back thing, the looking back thing. Whereas now it's it's complicated because on the one hand, I see what you're saying. On the other hand, I'm almost like, well, that's even more to my point because that it's going to reach a fever pitch where people no longer like I just don't think it's a sustainable plan to have more and more complex press tours. Yeah, we'll get tired of celebrities. And I and I really like celebrities have been out for a while.
Speaker 2: No, that's true, that's true. They don't have to pretend riches in. But you still if you're a celebrity, you have to almost pretend to not be You have to be like humble or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, let's see this one's kind of complicated.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I think an out is queer as inherent good.
Speaker 1: Oh. I like that we found it earlier when we said gay one, but in both good and bad ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think as it's like more and more mainstream, like it's like every every pop person is queer, like you're queer coded or queer Like it's like even like people like Charlie XCX is straight, but it's like this is queer music. And I think it's going to be like that's not going to be just like a synonym for good. I think it's just going to be like it's going to lose its power as a brand exercise.
Speaker 1: It's also just like no longer even a synonym for semi good politics, like at one point, even the word queer was like reclaiming a slur, and it meant that you had more radical politics than someone who referred to themselves as gay. Obviously, I'm painting in broad strokes. Oh look, I'm doing defensive time. And I just think it's over and again in ways that are both bad and good. Of course, in some ways, what you what we have always wanted, is like mass acceptance where you're not defined by your sexual identity. But in other ways, of course, I wish there wasn't a gay guy in the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I have.
Speaker 1: I have two food related inns that I can do together because they're not super interesting.
Speaker 2: Great, I have a food related profound in as well. All right, so out Actually sorry.
Speaker 1: Spaghetti and meatballs. Really, I think spaghetti meet balls are in. I think that, you know, we went through the very long Burger and Martini era where that was like the comfort food everyone craved, and I just think the next chapter of that is spaghetti and meatballs. I like like having people over and having a giant bowl of spaghetti and meatballs and like, you know, having I think there's gonna be a sort of like Alison Romanesque actually, Alison has a great meatbal recipe, but I think there's gonna be like some sort of viral moment or something that or even even like a movie moment, like a Lady in the Tramp spaghetti moment. Like there's gonna be something that puts spaghetti on the meatballs back on the map in a big way. I actually am saying this from personal experience, because I had a dinner party where I served spagetti and meatballs, and I got more compliments than I've ever gotten on like more difficult things I've cooked or baked or anything that's basically all anyone wants.
Speaker 2: I think this is one of the most genius predictions of all time, the way that instantly when you said this, it clicked with me. And I'm like, because people still are wanting the simple, They're still wanting to feel the burger and martini vibe, but they've had enough burgers and they've had enough Martini's. Like, I think you're so right about the speating meat pulse. Do you have a like cocktail? Like, yes, what is the cocktail?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not a single cocktail, but I think Amorrow based cocktails are gonna be big last night. I so we sort of just have not like restocked our alcohol in a while, and we have a very random assortment of things. So when people come over, I'm constantly being like, do you want to vermouth and soda? Like I because I just like don't have enough stuff. And we had this random bottle of a Verna and this bottle of prosecco, and I looked up and I made an Averna spritz last night for we had a friend over, and it tasted like a sort of a twist on like a diet coke, Like it was this like beautiful, kind of like syrupy but not too sweet, spritsy but winterry drink. And I mean, I think Amari have been in for a while. I'm not reinventing the wheel here, but I think specifically not on their own, not on the rocks, not just with soda, Like slightly more complicated cocktails that are a marrow based I think could be almost like a bridge between the more simple martini and the more complicated and outdated like craft cocktail culture of the twenty tens. It's almost like we went all the way in one direction, then we went all the way in the other direction. Now, a happy medium is an Amarro based three ingredient car.
Speaker 2: George, I'm feeling so electric, I'm getting chills. I like, I'm you're making me like see the future, and I even like I I here's a prediction on the floor. Yeah, go go go saying to someone do you want to get a nightcap? Oh? Do you want to have a nightcap? I think this is going to happen in a huge way.
Speaker 1: Wait can I I sorry to get ahead of myself. I'll then give you the opportunity to do three in a row. But I have one that's related to that. Oh great, okay. One of my ins is having people over parentheses, but not for dinner, So George.
Speaker 2: I I wrote down out dinner that is about food.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, So first of all, dinner parties I'm not gonna to say dinner parties are out as ridiculous. Obviously we're all gonna still have dinner parties, but dinner parties as this like incredibly branded important thing is out Like that was very much like a post block to down totally total let's fucking do this roaring twenties, like we're gonna make shrimp cocktail blah, blah. But what I think is gonna happen to your nightcap point is having people over for drinks, having people over for tea, having people over for coffee, and then you also made a little bunt cake, so you serve them a little you know, a slice of cake with their coffee, maybe a few cookies, bowl of nuts. Not something where you're not even you haven't even prepared something. You're just like, you go out for dinner and then it's like, do you want to come over for you know, dessert, and then you just take out literally a thing of Hogan DAW's vanilla.
Speaker 2: This is I'm excited. This actually makes me excited for the future because I have been a little bit like what what is the trendy? What's gonna be fun? And I'm like, this sounds so fun.
Speaker 1: It's actually almost like sitcom level. You can walk into your friend's apartment.
Speaker 2: Yes, one hundred percent, but you also know not to stay too long. You're like, exactly, I'll stay for like an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, uh okay, go you can okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I said, didn't know that it's about food. This is I should have brought I'm gonna do two two quick ones because they were related to previous things that we talked about, and I should have brought them up before. One is out is Brooklyn and as a Manhattan is in Now that sort of related the wealth thing. Sure, yeah, and then the other thing is I really because Bratt was so big, I think Green is out out out and I think going Charlie XCX mode is really out like it has been like market tested that it doesn't work for other people. Yes, and I think people will now not try to do that again.
Speaker 1: No, it only works for her because it's like authentic to her experience and because she has been perfecting it for fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and people will probably still try, but in a less like you won't see like Katy Perry do it again. You won't see who Camilla Cabeo do it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I definitely agree about Green because it's not just Brad, it's also Wicked. It's also with its green was just everywhere. I also, I mean pink, the green and pink and Wicked was just such an assault that I think people are gonna move away from those colors. I think we're going to be seeing yellows. Let's say Purple's you know, yeah, some night reds, even a burnt orange.
Speaker 2: Burnt orange for crying out loud, Okay, I have I'm realizing that I have a few that are related for ends that maybe I'll just combine them into one thing. I think the sort of Ashton Kutcher style punked dressing. It will continue to be bigger and bigger, and that includes I think that that his haircut, that like mop thing. I think stud earrings are going to be back, oh okay, and I think goates.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, last year we predicted sideburns, which arguably was not a correct prediction, but I think goatees make more sense. I was actually so I was rewatching Happy Endings and the main character, who's a complete flop. All of them around him are incredible, but the main guy is like, by by design, sort of like the straight man, and he has a goatee that he's constantly made fun of for hmmm. And it got me thinking, like they actually have been fully out of the culture for so long that we can we can bring them back and really play with the form in a new way.
Speaker 2: I think you're gonna see some gay guys doing it. Yeah, it's gonna work, okay, gay go tees, gay go tees on the red carpet.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, Yeah, I mean my ends are better than my outs. I have to say, I can attempt to do an out. The idea of stigma is out, Like I think that both stigmatizing something and reclaiming a previously existing stigma are out like as a as a mode of thinking, as a way of or organizing thought. It's just like not how things are going to be viewed anymore, because I almost think that the idea of stigma is inherently related to a monoculture. There has to be like a common language for something to then be stigmatized against the common mainstream culture. And so when you don't have mainstream culture and you just have a bunch of different subcultures, it's like something can be stigmatized in this culture, but not in this culture, and it can be like a good thing here, but a bad thing here. And unless you have the data in front of you, that's like how many people stigmatizes and how many people don't. It's just is not a useful way of thinking about anything anymore interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, does this go along with like a there's no more like canceling vibe or is it a different thought.
Speaker 1: I think that I'm more so thinking about like when people are like mental illness is stigmatized. It's like, okay, it is, broadly speaking, but in fact, in the community that I'm a part of, it's encouraged. Like in no room that I'm ever in, is mental illness stigmatized, or even if you're like something about even something around like queerness or body type or like things that are traditionally considered less than whatever the desirable version is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, this is making sense to me.
Speaker 1: Obviously, people still face oppression and people still face like discrimination, but the concept of a stigma, I think is like the wrong way to look at it. Yeah, yeah, that's sort of what I mean. I like that.
Speaker 2: I think this works, okay, because you won't be stigmatized. You'll just move to a different culture exactly. That's exactly what hop on over to someone.
Speaker 1: Because a stigma implies like a red you know, for adulterer.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have an out. I think making fun of cringe liberalism, oh so out, so out. I think, like making fun of the like in this house we believe like stuff like that. You're just sort of gonna be like, yeah, I get it, like cope, however you can. I think it's gonna be like I don't think it'll be happening as much because I think people are like, don't feel a fire under them. But I also think when it happens, you'll be like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like making fun of Hamilton. It's like it's over, yeah, so we're gonna make fun of Hamilton, or like there's just something it used to feel fresh to rediscover things from the Obama era. And obviously we do this more than anyone can. We discover things from the Obama era and think of them in a new light. But enough time has passed that the Obama era is now basically what the Clinton era was then, like you just have to accept it.
Speaker 2: It happened, folks, that happened, So that happened, So that happened.
Speaker 1: Been wow, Okay, I'll do an inn. I think that aerobics could make a comeback wow, because I think it's the only form of trend based exercise that hasn't made a comeback, like even line This is not a form of exercise, but even like line dancing, it has become like a cool thing. Queer people do. But aerobics, which has all the makings of something that would get a nostalgia based comeback, especially in a like post yoga post pilates world.
Speaker 2: Plus we have all this dance music.
Speaker 1: We have all this dance music, I think people. Also, everything is a you know, a brand activation and a fashion collaboration now, so it's like someone's gonna go ahead and make some you know, fluorescent colored aerobics clothing.
Speaker 2: I'm actually surprised this didn't happen with the Barbie Dua Lipa.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the bar also and Dua Lipa.
Speaker 2: Yeah it should have John Huh. I like this theory. I wonder how they're gonna like elevate it from just nostalgia, I know it, Like I wonder in like a like an alloy world, like how are they gonna make it like Instagram girlies love this? Yeah, And I'm not sure what the answer is. But I mean, it'll be like in a soul cycle way, like it'll be like a dark room.
Speaker 1: Right, it won't be to be clear, it won't be cool. I'm not saying this is gonna be like a cool thing, but it'll Soul cycle is the perfect comparison it'll be like some company that has seed like venture funding will be like, oh my god, you know what, we haven't done it in a while, is like a good aerobics craze, like it worked the first time. It's been long enough, you know what I predict. Then there's gonna be some viral interview of Jane Fonda responding to it, and people asking her like, so what do you think of the new aerobics craze, and she'll be like, well, you know, there's a reason it worked, like blah blah blah, and then people like clips from her aerobics take will be viral on TikTok.
Speaker 2: I love this, Yeah, and okay it maybe it may have missed with Barbie and Dualipa, but with the substance I think they could.
Speaker 1: Of course I forgot about the substance, yes, of course. Yeah, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see I have a really controversial one. Okay, this is an inn I predict there's gonna be a conversation about how there hasn't been a new funny fat guy at SNL WHOA. I think in the same way that there was a conversation about like there hasn't been a black woman on like when like in ten years ago when that was happening. I think there's gonna be like a we need a new funny fat guy at SNL, and it people will be like nostalgic for like John Candy, Yeah, like Chris Farley, Like people are gonna be like this used to be the thing, and they're gonna like want it again. Like I think with the fiftieth people are gonna be reflecting on who used to be there and that used to be such a thing that people would say is like ESENL always has like the funny fat guy, and I think that's gonna be there's gonna be a conversation about how there hasn't been like a wild funny fat guy in a while.
Speaker 1: Wow, fascinating, And that's that fits it. It is so much with the rest of where culture is going. It's like literally it used to be that people would be angry that there was not more racial diversity on ESNEL. Now it's gonna be people being like, why isn't there a funny fat guy?
Speaker 2: And it fits in with the like casual big like casual bigotry sort of this like thing of like I can say this, why isn't there a funny fat guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see. I think one of my ends is, and this is controversial, I think that San Francisco has been hollowed out and sort of uh beaten down so much with a combination of Silicon Valley transforming in than leaving the pandemic, the various like controversies around local politics. There just like insane rents, people moving to Oakland. Like it's just sort of like terrible reputation both among you know, conservatives obsessed with crime and progressives obsessed with like Silicon Valley taken over whatever. I almost think it's like it can't get any lower, and so it now will have some sort of resurgence, like there's gonna be some maybe it's like a local artistic scene of some sort. Maybe there's gonna be a new band that's from San Francisco. Maybe there's gonna be a thriving art scene in some way. And then maybe there will be some TV series or film that's about a community that lives in San Francisco. Then maybe people will remember all the different things that they loved about San Francisco, or maybe it's an even more nostalgic thing where there's going to be like a movie about like hate Ashbury hippies or something, and then that'll be a trend. But I just think like San Francisco was so cool then it was so uncool, and I think it has to it has to like circle back.
Speaker 2: I like this and I really hope you're right, Like there is something. When I think about San Francisco, it is like this is like so sad. Yeah, it really is like one of the bleaker things that has happened, and you just like sort of move on because it is a fact. It's just like Yep, Tech ruined an entire city. It's just crazy and you have to just be like okay, and it's like no, it's like we haven't actually addressed this. Like this used to be a thriving city with a cool vibe.
Speaker 1: One of the Americans dead.
Speaker 2: It is completely hallowed out. It is crazy.
Speaker 1: So something you know, it's gonna something's gonna rise from rise from the ashes.
Speaker 2: I think has this is a genuine Has tech moved out? Is it?
Speaker 1: Well? A big part of it is like, first of all, a lot of tech has moved to like Austin and Miami and places like that. I mean the big I mean Austin especially has just become this like huge tech capital. The other thing that happened, especially during the pandemic was because everyone started working from home, downtown San Francisco was just like really like hollowed out in this way. There's just like there's like all these empty buildings, but then they're not being made into affordable housing or anything, so it's just you know, this sort of like it was this like ghost town.
Speaker 4: That's interesting, But San Francisco's always like San Francisco is defined back to the gold Rush by booms and busts, Like it just isn't a stable place.
Speaker 1: Like there's always going to be you know, incredible eras of immense wealth and then eras where you know, things are not going well, and it's always it always somehow bounces back. And it's also very like amenable to new ideas. So it might be something completely different. It might also be worse.
Speaker 2: Who knows, Hey, somebody's you gotta get before you better. Yeah, well, I hope they come back. It's a gorgeous city.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: God And we're going to go there soon. San Francisco sketch Fest Show.
Speaker 1: It's probably the only show I have planned for twenty twenty five, so same, see you there, see you there.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see this. These are complicated, Okay. I think an out an out is like I think public feminism. I think we're gonna have like a like a high profile woman be like I'm not really a feminist, like and almost be like like there's gonna be sort of a throwback vibe to like feminism. I actually love men, like. I think it'll be like the misinterpreting, of course and wrong, but I think that it's going to happen where I think feminism as like a branding thing is out and it'll be like I love men and feminists and then it'll be like feminists are lesbians.
Speaker 1: I love women defending men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love men.
Speaker 1: I think women defending men is hugely in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like this again, all this it's all cyclical, like because that and Trump is looming. Of course, Trump luming, but it is, it is all cyclical, and I think this will come back.
Speaker 1: I know it's you know, it's funny. Feminism is one of those terms. Of course, there are actual there is an actual history of feminism, and there are actual definitions and you can you know there is there? There's like feminism is also like a lens through which to view politics and culture. It is a way. It is an academic line of thought. It is like a way to It is a liberation movement. It is all these things like in actuality. But there's also divorced from that, just the specter of feminism in like the mainstream popular imagination. That's almost literally a different thing, you know what I mean, Like the actual concept, the substantial concept of feminism is so different than what, like than what at any given time in the nineties or twenty or twenty tens is meant when a random person on television says I am a feminist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean I'm realizing and going through these Yours are way more optimistic and mine are really cynical and pessimistic.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's necessarily true. I mean I'm doing much more, many more inns. I'm trying to think, like, hmmm, oh I have a pessimistic one. Oh okay, all right, So I think one of my inns is I think AI will be in for longer before we get a backlash, Like I think the sort of I think the obvious thing would be to say everyone hates AI it's out for twenty twenty five. But I don't think that the case. I think that like well, and everyone's distracted by like oh AI created images, and like look at this crazy fake image where this guy has like seven fingers because it wasn't created well, and like, oh, this AI created poem is like actually shitty. And in the meantime, AI is being used in way more nefarious ways and even way more like normal ways to be honest, like, I'm sure it's being used to make like incredible medical advances that I don't know about, but I just think it is going to first infiltrate the culture way way, way way more before in like five ten years, there's like a real backlash of some sort.
Speaker 2: If ever, I think you're one hundred percent right. I think this, Yeah, this is pessimism that I agree with. It's sort of the the Elon thing where it's like Elon shouldn't be winning. Like everyone who we know hates him, Everyone on the internet hates him. It's like he's a punching like punching bag for like everyone, and yet like he is still in charge of Twitter. He is still like in charge of the government, picked the president, like yeah, he has all the power somehow. Still, and I think AI is like this too, where it's like, yes, everyone posts like oh this sucks, this is bad, but it's like it's winning and it's going to continue to win.
Speaker 1: No, there's something about it that it's uh, it's just becoming the new. It no longer is like this little, this mysterious thing on the rise, Like it's now just AI went from being like punk rock hacker to being man in suit. I mean, it is much more difficult to take down man in suit than like someone infiltrating the culture.
Speaker 2: This is. I'm having the opposite reaction that I had to your spaghetti and meatballs. I'm feeling so low about this because I am like it's true and there's nothing we can do about it. Like I'm really like stuck on like what does this mean? And we won't know until it happens, but I'm like, really sucks it like can't be good in any way. And I feel like even with like the Internet, we didn't know it was gonna be bad. Like the Internet was like, Wow, this is so exciting. We can like share information and learn anything. We want at any given moment, and now it's like, oh, this is kind of bad, Like I wish we didn't have this sometimes, and with AI, we don't even have that like this is going to solve everything. It's just like start out the gate. It is bad.
Speaker 1: No, I so agree with you. It used to be that innovations first went through a phase of utopian thinking. Yeah, even something like the telephone, Like it's like first you're like, wow, amazing, we can connect with everyone, and then it's like, okay, it's like promoting misinformation and people are addicted and teams are committing suicide. But at least in the beginning you can be like, we have a smart phone, it's a computer in your pocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was magical at first.
Speaker 1: And I'm sort of like, but I also do think there's a cl divide here because for many people they do think of it as utopian honestly, Like you can think of AI as like, oh, everything is going to be so frictionless and then we're going to be free to you know, work a three hour or work a two day work week and then spend the rest of the time painting. Like there is that utopian element of it, but it is difficult to access that line of thinking when the people that are the post your children for it are like literal movie villains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, and the it just is like so clearly not that is not the goal, like it's just the goal is to like be the first one to do it so you can be rich before they eliminate all jobs. Leve leve, bon voyage, bon voyage. Did I tell you that I can't stop saying say love?
Speaker 1: I have noticed.
Speaker 2: Because I think it's it's such a fun way of being, like I'm detached, like I don't care, and it adds a little gen siqua, you know.
Speaker 1: I think a fun trend would be to say French phrases, but not in ways that makes sense of so just like like I just did, like I just did with bon Voyage, like that literally does not make sense in this context.
Speaker 2: I love to go, so that's kind of fun. Oh what's my turn? Okay, here's an interesting out. I'm also not sure if I'm gonna do all mine because I don't know if I agree with all of them now that we're reading these out loud. But here's an out social media star meaning anything. I think there was a second where it was like if you are big on Instagram, you are big, like this can transition into a real thing. I think social media star is becoming more and more disposable, and more and more temporary, and more and more like, well, yeah, I look at you and my phone. I don't really care about you beyond that. And I think that used to be less clear, like it would be like, oh I saw this guy on Instagram. I love him, And now it's like, no, I think you're because you're not even following. You're like being fed stuff. And I think so you don't feel investment, You're like that was a funny video.
Speaker 1: You don't even look at what someone's name is, like yeah, And I think this is a mistake a lot of our a lot of people we know, make where they think their profile is rising because they're going viral, and then in fact it's just like people might see you on the street and be like that person looks familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I Actually what's interesting about social media stardom is so I think that what we're seeing is arise in like a middle class when it comes to social media performers. So the expectation that if you go viral, then you reach some higher point is almost like, you know, the promise that you'll found a small business and become a billionaire. Like, I think there is this more consistent sort of middle class of like in the same way that there are so many working actors that are not wealthy, like you know, Julia Roberts. I think that's what's happening with social with quote unquote creators, is there's just this like large group of people that like occasionally make a couple thousand dollars doing a brand deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's an interesting way of looking at it. The gold rush is over.
Speaker 1: The gold rush is over, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: The gold rush is over. Still you can still get a little gold, yeah, but very little.
Speaker 1: Okay. I actually have hm uh okay. I have one that's sort of related to the AI thing and also sort of related to Trump in a way. I sort of think the movie and the I think V for Vendetta is in.
Speaker 2: Vv Vendetta is it? I don't know, Like, so what does that mean to you? Like I hear that, and I think like middle school ideas of activism, that's.
Speaker 1: What it is. Yeah, there's something there's something that's like I don't know, so much of like Trumpian thinking there is so childlike. And I think V for Vendetta, as much as I really honestly enjoy it as a film, V for Vendetta just has these very childlike notions of activism, of justice, of oppression of power that are actually so that can actually be sort of appropriated by anyone with any politics. Like you can read it in a left wing way, you can read it in a right wing way. It's almost like what happened with the Matrix. Yes, And I don't know, I think.
Speaker 2: Everyone thinks they're the V for Vendetta. They think they're on like the good side. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and there's also I think I have generally noticed just like a rise in violence being socially like the idea of violence on.
Speaker 2: Both the Assassin we have talking about the assassin, right, So.
Speaker 1: There's the thing like I think that on the right violence has very much in the Trump years become or even like violent language, let's say, has become way more socially accepted. And I think something that's happening now with like with the assassin and even with the Trump assassination attempt, is you see like respectable Midwestern moms being like, oh, should have gotten him. Like there is just like a comfort with almost like Gallows humor about violence.
Speaker 2: Well it is true that, Yeah, there's something about like the systems really not working and like people are like, well there is one thing that can work, and like people are being driven insane enough to be like Okay, let's do that, Like let's and at least let's celebrate it when it happens, because it's like nothing good happens and systemically right now, like there's very few wins for like the people, and so I do think when the violence happens, it's like fun to be like, hell, yeah we got him.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and it almost feels not it doesn't even feel dangerous because you're like, literally nothing good will ever happen. Yeah, this is just like we're all just doing a little dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like really trying not to. I think when this comes out, it'll be like let's see, like it'll be in like two weeks or something, and so who knows where we'll be with the assassin.
Speaker 1: Story of course. Yeah, sorry for everyone listening, know that we still don't know the identity of the assassin of the Sorry United Healthcare CEO shooter. We don't know his identity and he has not been caught, so.
Speaker 2: Who knows what we'll happen the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: But what's currently happening is people are making joke about how he's hot on the internet.
Speaker 2: And I'm like genuinely trying not to get swept up in Assassin Fever because i know, like, because it is a ju juicy story and it is so like the bullets had writing on them and it was like it was political, and You're like.
Speaker 1: But don't you think that's so V for Vendetta. It's so V Frendeta writing on them? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: That's so middle school? Yeah? And yet I'm like finally like I'm like this rules and I'm I'm really trying to check in with that and be like when I'm you know, we're almost like horny right now, Like we're horny for violence, and like I'm when I come, I'm going to be like what was I thinking? Why was I so horny for that? Yeah, And so I'm trying to not be so horny for it. But I am like there is something where it's like very attractive to me right now. Yeah, God, they should make a horny that you don't regret later.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that would be crazy. I would not ever need to, you know, work another day in my life. For pretty are if there was a horny that did not make you feel shame later or you're kidding me the.
Speaker 2: Way that like, I feel like it's been happening more and more where I will come and then I'll be like, what have I been doing the last four days? No, it's like bad, I have been completely thinking wrong because I've been horny without knowing it.
Speaker 1: Like, but also but also take me back, this is.
Speaker 2: Men shouldn't be allowed on the government, folks. Okay, here's a weird out. Okay, and it's not that controversial. But Disney, Oh yeah, I think totally. I think Disney is like so so so out. And I think before it was like Marvel is out, but I think now it's even further, like even like adults being like, well, this animated movie is actually really good. I think that's out. I think Disney is like beyond out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I'm also I mean all these live action remakes are It's sort of shocking how I and I saw the trailer for the Snow White one and I was like, oh, God, you're doing CGI dwarfs.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I did not see the trailer for this.
Speaker 1: It's really it's really shocking actually, like and you know, I know we have left behind calling things problematic, but like, I'm sorry, have little people not been through enough that now your way around it is not even casting them in case it's offense. So you're literally doing basically like prejudiced caricatures of little people that as though they're animals, as though they're CGI animals. I'm actually I was shocked what I saw that.
Speaker 2: No, that is such a great point. I'm honestly like surprised they're even making this movie because you're just gonna step in it in so many ways. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But maybe but as we've said, like, cancel culture is over, so maybe it's literally like they're good, it's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fine. But that for some reason they're canceling. Is that Rachel Ziegler, Yeah, they're canceling her because she doesn't like she's like, yeah, I feel fine about It's no way. She's like I didn't really grow up with it or something. She's like she's not doing the Ariana thing of like crying every time she's in her totally like she doesn't care.
Speaker 1: I sort of something I sort of appreciate about her is that she kind of does refuse to play the game. She's always sort of saying something randomly controversial, but then she's also not being controversial enough that it's like slag queen, you you did that. It's just sort of being sort of just putting her foot in it constantly.
Speaker 2: She's sort of just being like, can we wrap this up like that? All times exactly, And I think that's cool. Yeah, Okay, I have okay, I have an out. I think Sasha Baron Cohen is out, oh yeah in a big way. And you know he's going to try to do something in the Trump in.
Speaker 1: The Trump era. But I'm I actually think it's been a really long time coming, like a really long time coming, Like it is shocking that he got away with doing Borat two with and and there wasn't any sort of conversation about the larger politics of his work, and.
Speaker 2: In fact, it got nominated for an Oscar Yes, yes, and it was like bor At two. There's this thing about like in music where like the album sales more reflect the album that came before. And I really think that Borat two Is that for movies?
Speaker 1: That's genius. Yes, it's so true.
Speaker 2: Because people just love Borat one so much that then they were like, well, we have to support Borat two because Borat one is so beloved, and they're like, but I think actually, if a Borat three were to come out, the backlash would come so hard because no one actually liked bore At two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's and he has been he himself has been really annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very smug. And now that he's like divorced from from Isla Fisher, Isla Fisher, it's like, wait that was you were like it was charming to know that you were with is Fisher totally totally and I was like, well she hates you, then I think I might hate you as well.
Speaker 1: He's such a smug little bitch, like he thinks he's so smart, and he's been encouraged like I mean not to be so uh you know, Earnest Earnest, But I'm like, where's woman Let a woman have that career? Where is a silly woman doing crazy characters like and I'm so sick of It's like because he is, you know, a handsome British man he's like allowed to to toe the line and to be offensive and to it's like fuck off, enough.
Speaker 2: Enough and even like the whole like clowning tie into his whole deal where he's like I trained to be a clown. It's just like all right, Like I don't think this is for me. I'm also like he's like approached characters. I'm like enough with the voices, Like there's something about the Yeah, it's so one on one.
Speaker 1: I mean, the first thought, it's quite I'm sorry the joke. I don't know. I this is a problem I've always had. But it's like I understand, I'm not an idiot. I understand that it's meant to be pointing out racism via its own racism. Like I get it. I'm not an idiot, but like the whole thing is just my wife like fuck.
Speaker 2: Well. He also has like sort of classic South Park syndrome where it's like, you know, ironic like anti semitism, and then it's like but then people just actually do it to be anti Semitic. They're like that's so funny, and then they're like quoting it, and then when someone's Jewish, they're like doing it to them. It's like this is so weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also I mean he is doing I mean he is just doing a racist caricature, Like I mean, I'm sorry, but like if we're taking off Hulu episodes of thirty Rock that have black faced, like, what are we doing with corat all? Right?
Speaker 2: So that's my out. Okay, let's see what have I not done? Oh okay, here's an inn.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I think male singers ooh okay. I think I think it's been like the pop girlies have been like such a thing. And it's even straight guys are saying like, oh, the pop girlies, the pop girlies, And I think there's going to be like it's going to feel new and independent to stan a male singer. I'm kind of even thinking like a bony bear like someone like really yeah, Like it's like your people are going to want a masculine.
Speaker 1: Voice, I guess, okay, okay, and it's gonna make.
Speaker 2: Them they're gonna be like, I'm not like other girls. I listen to a man saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think like Iron and Wine, Like it's like that kind of thing is kind.
Speaker 2: Of do think that's gonna come back as like a reaction to like everything being so glossy and poppy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean one of them. I mean there's such a misogyny to the idea that like a male voice is more authentic than a female voice, which is what a lot of this is. Okay, I'm I mean I have to say it's already happening with like like these are people I barely whose work I barely know, but like m J. Lenderman is like getting.
Speaker 2: Big McGee McGee, of course.
Speaker 1: I mean. Also the Bone of Ar record I think is like well received.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's I think it's going to continue. I think it's going to continue trending. And similarly, h I think we've seen it a little bit, but I think like the TikTok generation is going to continue to find twenty tens indie rock and reappropriate it in ways that people our age are annoyed at. And like I think they're gonna like find like of Montreal and like there's gonna be like a viral trend to of Montreal and we're gonna be like what the hell? And but it is, like it's just it's gonna keep happening. They're gonna like find like Beach House teenage dream or whatever, and it's natives. Yes, yeah, even like I saw it, like somebody posted on Twitter the like MGMT performing in college and which obviously it was like damn a cocaine to me watching that. But I do think more and more of that is going to happen, like that nostalgia and repurposing of twenty ten stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's time for it. It's just like it's just there's just like a bucket of things that happened in the twenty tens and there where there. People are gonna keep fishing, putting their little fishing hooks in it, and whatever comes up is gonna trend for a month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's gonna be like annoying because everyone's gonna have to post about how it makes them feel old, and that only adds adds to it. It's just going to be this whole cycle over and over again.
Speaker 1: You know. Relate it to that Santa Gold renaissance now.
Speaker 2: That I would love, I would love it could fit into that trend. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She is one of these figures that's like maybe she could save us, you know.
Speaker 2: I think at any point she could pop in and save us. Yeah, damn I love her. Okay, I know I love her too. Okay, Okay, here's a specific one. Do you know the actress Jane Adams. No, look her up.
Speaker 1: She was in The Idol most recently, and she's in so many iconics. She's just like a classic andie film actress. Yes, got it, Okay, I think she's going to have a big you know when people did it with Laura duran where they were like, she's like, she's been good consistently, but she's never gotten her due. I mean it's different because actually, Laura Durne had starring roles throughout her career, whereas Jane Adams was always sort of a character actress. But I think she has been so consistently good and has never had her moment that I'm like, I'm seeing it, like I'm seeing a sort of maybe it'll be some indie movie she's in that does like really well in Toronto, and then there's like a grassroots campaign, and then there's like a Vulture article that's like Jane Adams has always been that girl.
Speaker 2: She's gonna get like the Melanie Linsky treatments.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, the Melanie Linsky treatment, because she is so good. Yeah, She's good at both drama and comedy. She is so like sort of like effortlessly cool in her own way. She also is able to be both. She's able to not be type cast. Like her role in The Idol is so different than she plays Hannah Iminder's mom and hacks, and she's like so like midwestern mom and hacks.
Speaker 2: Wow, I had forgotten about that.
Speaker 1: She's actually in this amazing movie. Well amazing as generous, but she's in this movie I believe called The Anniversary Party, which is directed by Alan Cumming and oh god, Jennifer Jason Lee. No wait, hold on, I'm looking it up. Jennifer jason Lee allen coming.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you've nailed that.
Speaker 1: But she's really she's definitely the best part of it. So I just think it's gonna happen for her.
Speaker 2: I like this, Yeah, this is fun. I like when you get really specific with it. I think that's fun. I had an out okay that this is complicated, but I think Florida is out like Sam, I think caring about wait what I have?
Speaker 1: So I have a third section called question mark, which I can't decide if it's in or out, And it's just two things it's Florida and it's satire. I literally kept going back and forth because I was like, there is an argument to be made for both. In some ways, it's never been more in it is like Maga Central, the like crazy just like the crazy like maximalism of Florida is like really having a moment, uh huh. And of course, on the other hand, it's like I'm so sick of Florida as like a signifier of that kind of American debauchery. Like it's like it's it's it's like everyone's like, you know, having an orgy, and then an alligator shows up, and then a woman with giant tits like one of them pops and then she like floats, and it's just it's such a like this sort of like debaucherous like celebration of grossness and excess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's just like I think people are sick of it. I think people are sick of even jokes about it, and people are sick of like caring about it. And so I think it's like like there's it's gonna be crazy political things that happened under Trump in Florida still like the burning whatever, it's like like banning all these books, banning who knows what, like trans people from going to bathrooms, and it's like, but people are just gonna be like, well fuck it, like that's Florida. I'm not gonna think about it in like a weird way, Like yeah, I almost think like it's sort of the same thing about you said going to the ballet and stuff, where there's something about Florida where it used to be like we've got to do something or like or we got to make fun of them, And now I think it's like they're their own thing, and I don't really want to hear about it. No.
Speaker 1: It is sort of this weird amusement park people can move to if they like don't want to be in the real world. I my friend Tarpley, who's a journalist, wrote like some big feature on how it's becoming like Trump Central, and this was like three years ago, and so through that she met all these kind of crazy characters, and one of them is this woman. She has one million Instagram followers, and her thing is she is a realtor with comically giant fake boobs, like they're literally like it looks like she's a cartoon. They're so large that her dog can sleep, can lie on one of them and take a nap on top of it. Whoa and her and her entire feed is pro Trump and pro Israel like disinformation, and she's like this, she looks like one of the cock destroyers, like and she's literally like, if there's three things you gotta know about me, I'm a realtor, I have giant fake hits, and I love Donald Trump. Like, and you're just sort of like, where do we go from here?
Speaker 2: Where do we go from here? It's it's confusing.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see I have Oh, this is a quick one. Solo shows are out like, oh oh, a sort of this had, you know, things like the Nette and everything. It had a long tail. Still they're doing relatively well in Edinburgh and on Broadway. I mean, Baby Reindeer started out as a solo show, you know, but I just think I actually think Cole doing O Mary and having it be a real play rather than a solo show was like the death knell that solo shows needed, because what people expected from Cole was to go to Omary and have it be them doing like a monologue as Mary Todd Lincoln.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: And I think the fact that they were able to like not only not do that, but really succeed at not doing that means that the new thing that people are going to try is doing their own O Mary rather than doing their own the net.
Speaker 2: Damn, that is so smart. I think it's hard for me to I hadn't thought about that because I even even though I've seen Omary and I know it's not a solo show, but to me, in my mind, I'm like, well, that's Cole solo show, and it just fully is not. It is a play. It is a play. Yeah, people are going to do that. And I also think if there are our solo shows, they're going to be very unseerious. I think they're going to be silly, silly, silly. Yeah, I think this self seriously.
Speaker 1: And they're gonna have a twist. Like I think it could be that like part way through a second character is introduced and you're sort of shocked because you're like, I thought this was a solo show, or or it's like actually, I was thinking about this when we had Casey Jane Alison on the pod. That type of thing could be a new take on it. It's like it is a solo show in the sense that it's a one woman show, but it is fictional and she's doing different characters. Like that could maybe work. But what's out is like a comedian having trauma and having a show shaped around that.
Speaker 2: If you have trauma, pack it up, Mama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally, go see you in Florida.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, And actually this is a I have maybe this will be my last okay, okay one, which we talked about a little bit on the Alana episode. Well, spoiler alert because this is coming up before that.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, we have. We have a lot of Glazer coming on.
Speaker 2: And I think therapy, but being chill about it, I think the like like tongue in cheek, like fuck you go to therapy is out. But I do think people are going to be sort of like at a dinner party and it'll be like, I mean, yeah, I am in therapy. Like it's gonna be like there's going to be an appropriate level of shame around it.
Speaker 1: Yes, like therapy, talking about your therapist in the same way you would talk about your primary care physician or your dentist. It is not a cure all. It is not like men need to go to therapy. It is not dramatic. It is like just normal.
Speaker 2: And I know last year we said therapy is out.
Speaker 1: And it was then now it's back in.
Speaker 2: It's back in, and it's like but with a subtle twist.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, I think it's back in. And I think that like, uh, now that the hype around it has died down, we can just go to therapy normal.
Speaker 2: We can go to therapy normal.
Speaker 1: Okay. I think I can just maybe like mention a couple of other ones without going into them too much. I think in the same way that gay men, in my mind unsuccessfully ultimately tried to appropriate pearl necklaces. I think the next stage of that is like New Mexico's style turquoise jewelry. I think it's gay men wearing like, you know, the turquoise jewelry that like a really liberal mom would wear.
Speaker 2: That is so funny. That is so funny. And I was kind of thinking of something similar, which I'm not sure if I believe it or not, but I was like, where do we stand on like a leather bracelet, because we've done like these sort of tony soprano metal bracelets and I still like that and I think that's fun. But I am like there's a whole material that we're forgetting about that like was dominant for a while. And I wonder if it's gonna in a leather with a turquoise. I think could really pop back in definitely, And I don't like it. I don't think that looks good, but but I do think it will. It could happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sculpture I think is in. Oh, I think it will. I think it's actually like it's like the most anti digital thing you could do is create three dimensional art, you know what I mean. It's like the backlash against our phone addictions, against social media addiction, against like everything it's like, and also against things that don't require any skill. It's like, even if your sculpture is just one cone, at least you had to carve it.
Speaker 2: You know. I like this a lot, and I even think as home decor it's like a little fun, playful thing because I've been noticing that I've been getting like I found this like wooden dolphins sculpture, and I was like, this is so playful, and yet in the in the room it looks amazing. You're like, this is so funny and I and I like it.
Speaker 1: And then very quickly. I think that I think talking about college campuses is out, but it will come back very quickly. Yeah, Like I just think, like an obsession with college campuses is out, but I think because this stuff comes in waves, it's like give it a year. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think. I also think just like talking about stand culture is out, like I think we did it. It was sort of interesting for a second. It's such a shortcut to trying to seem interesting to talk about, like to talk about like the ills of stan culture, and it's like, yeah, there's some people that are like kind of insane that are on their computer all day. Oh that will always exist. It's not it doesn't say anything larger about our society.
Speaker 2: And I think also with things moving away from Twitter and being more on TikTok, I think it's like less I don't know. It feels like less faceless to be attacked, so it's like less likely I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then my final thing is, just as I mentioned, my two question marks were Florida and satire, And I want to just spend like thirty seconds on satire because I do think at some point I think we even said satire was out last year because I think it was its power was clearly diminished, Like there has not been a powerful satire in a very long time. But there is something about this new Trump era where I'm like, if maybe everything is so discombobulated, everyone has sort of admitted defeat in terms of our current forms of resistance that I'm like, maybe there will just be a generation defining satiricalject like art object of some sort.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I even think, like I know, he's you know, been making these types of videos forever and he's been like written about a million times, but I really think it's like the Conra O'Malley style of like embodying the evil man is going to continue to be more and more popular and you're going to see a lot more people doing it. And I think, like I and I actually think I really like his style, and I think he will, like I wonder what he'll do in this new Trump era because it is like he has such a way of like being insane about it that I do think is like the only thing to do.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I wonder. I've been actually really wanting to watch the Boots Riley show I'm a verb.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I haven't seen that, but there.
Speaker 1: Was a you know, when Sorry to Bother You came out, I was like, this is something like what if this ushers in a new era of this kind of of satire? And then I just think it's really hard to get things like that made. Yeah, but I wonder if if a Boots.
Speaker 2: Riley sort of more bald fasally like commenting on like yeah money and like systems rather than like on like Trump has a silly voice. Yes, yes, exactly, Yeah, And I think that's a good, good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean even the substance. I don't think the substance is an amazing sad tire. I'm sorry to say, but I think it is. You know, it's on the right track.
Speaker 2: Hey. The more I sit with it, the more I'm like, I love that movie.
Speaker 1: No, I liked it, to be clear, I just don't necessarily think it was like an amazing sad tire. I think it was like an amazing kind of like crazy over the top body horror movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Wow. Well, I mean this has been I think this has been good. I feel like this is an electric episode. I feel very I think I came in My were really cynical and You've made me feel optimistic about the future. And and you know, time keeps ticking and things change, and it's there's good and there's bad, and I for one am excited.
Speaker 1: But and and let's just not get neutral or complacent. You can you can take a step back and take in what's going on around you. That's okay, but don't accept it blindly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have a nightcap and talk about communism.
Speaker 1: You're like, Nike apps is That's like maybe the biggest idea we've had.
Speaker 2: I'm like being so excited. I'm like really, I'm like imagining being out and being like, do you want to have a nightcap at our place? Like? Oh, how fun? Wow? Damn Okay, Well, well happy, yes.
Speaker 1: And we hope you have an amazing sort of last little stretch of the year. We hope you have a wonderful New Year's Eve. We are so grateful listen and thank you for sticking with us all these years. We are very, very thankful.
Speaker 2: And if you are in San Francisco, please come to our show at San franciscouch Fest on act January.
Speaker 1: January seventeenth, Expops Comedy Club. It's like one of the biggest shows. I mean We have done cobbs before, but I think the combination of cobs and sketch Fest it's like we need to get butts and seats like this is a big one, y'all. Please tell your.
Speaker 2: Friends Yeah great, Well, bye bye podcast and now want more?
Speaker 1: Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab.
Speaker 2: And for all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on our.
Speaker 1: YouTube now Get back to work.
Speaker 2: Stradia Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Created and hosted by George Severs and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Hans Soni and Olivia Aguilar, co produced by Bai Wang, Edited and engineered by Adam Avalos. Artwork by Michael Fails and Matt Grub. Theme music by Ben Kling