Speaker 1: Welcome to this League Uncut in the rule of twenty four hour NBA News.
Speaker 2: This's you, Chris Haynes.
Speaker 1: It's time, works time, It's so time you cut. This League Uncut is underway tend on five. This should be a good one.
Speaker 3: Everyone, welcome in, Welcome back to the NBA Finals and a new edition of this League Uncut. It is June twelfth, It is the morning of Game three of these NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: And just have to be upfront with you from the jump.
Speaker 3: This was We thought this would be a very joyous occasion because Chris Haynes and I were in the same city, which, as you guys know, those of you who listen to this show regularly, you know that it is rare when Chris and I actually get to be together to hang out to cover a game together. And we will do that later tonight. But this is a very sad day in the NBA. There is no way to get around that. Early this morning, we got the news from the Clippers. Jerry West, the one and only Jerry West, the logo who has been working as a Clippers consultant for the past several seasons. The Clippers announced that at the age of eighty six. Jerry West passed away earlier today, peacefully with wife Karen at his side. But we are talking about one of the absolute giants of this game for decades and decades and decades, long before Chris or I started covering this league. And I can honestly say I covered Jerry West as a Lakers beat writer. I was there when, in the same summer he was able to draft Kobe Bryant and sign Shaquille O'Neill just weeks later what is probably still regarded as the greatest off season an NBA executive, and maybe any sports team executive has ever had to be able to make those two moves in such a short span. And so I've been covering him for a long time. I know, Chris, you got to cover him when you were embedded with the Warriors and Jerry was a Warriors executive.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I can just tell you.
Speaker 3: There's nobody in the league who I looked forward to speaking to more than Jerry West, especially as he got older.
Speaker 2: The care factor, the.
Speaker 3: Competitiveness, the intensity as he got older, the candor. I mean, I could go on and on and on, but just getting to speak to him and unfiltered Jerry West was a true treat And you know, we're doing this pod about two hours later than we thought we would because I frankly needed some time to try to figure out what to say, because obviously Jerry was in his eighties, he was in ill health. But nothing prepares you for the loss of a legend like this. And Bill Walton just passed away a couple of weeks ago, and now we lose Jerry West, and it is it's just.
Speaker 2: Tremendously sad.
Speaker 4: No, indeed, it is, you know, and rest in peace to Jerry West, and give our condoless to family and friends, close friends of Jerry.
Speaker 5: He was a.
Speaker 4: He was an incredible individual. I enjoyed my time being around him. As you mentioned Steinwn covering the warriors. And you know, Star I grew up. I grew up around a lot of senior citizens. I had them in my family and my churches. And you know, you have some youngsters who despise listening to the old stories from from your elder statesman, and I was the opposite.
Speaker 5: Always. I always like hearing the stories.
Speaker 4: I like hearing how life seems so simple back in the day, you know, just to have the way they used to navigate this a life that was viewed and told as so much more simple than what we live in the modern era. And so I've always enjoyed, you know, hearing stories from the elders. Jerry West was definitely somebody that I always gravitated towards, because once you got to spend some time with him, once gave you time, you didn't know what he was going to say, and you didn't know how he was going to say it. You know, you you talked about Jerry West being candid, you know, you know, I think we all when you get a certain age, you start speaking speaking more of your mind, like you.
Speaker 5: Give less fucks. And that was definitely Jerry. And the more.
Speaker 4: Accomplished life you have, the more experiences you have in life, the more interactions you have with a different group of people, that tends to lend to having more stories and just having these incredible, incredible times in these periods in which you can tell And that was Jerry. And there were times I find myself talking to him seeking information, you know, seeking information on the Warriors or the NBA or whatever, and next thing, you know, you didn't spend thirty minutes. He's talking about the old locker room and you know, being pissed at winning one championship.
Speaker 5: And all he had to go through. The It was just man, he was just incredible.
Speaker 4: Man. I'm going to miss those conversations. He's definitely one of the pillars of the NBA. He's the logo for a reason. Eight championships as an executive one, as a player, very much accomplished basketball executive ranks.
Speaker 5: Just a cool, polarizing person.
Speaker 4: Man, And I'm going to miss those conversations for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, he stopped playing shortly before I can really say that I became an NBA fan, So I.
Speaker 2: Didn't get to see him play.
Speaker 3: Only I've watched highlights and you know, seen lots of clips. But I mean, he he was. He just did everything. He was a textbook player. He was a two way player. People didn't talk enough about what a rugged and effective defender he was. But shooting the ball, dribbling the ball, I mean, he just did it in absolute textbook fashion. But I did get to cover Jerry the executive very very closely.
Speaker 2: And look we are talking about.
Speaker 3: He was openly anguished and tormented his whole life. He did a book in twenty eleven with Jonathan Coleman, and the book is called West by West My Charmed Tormented Life. I mean this is someone he was tightly wound, tortured perfectionist. He openly said that it was really hard for him to find satisfaction, but that just kept driving him.
Speaker 2: He was just never satisfied.
Speaker 3: And as an executive he won everything as an executive that eluded him as a players said he only won one championship as a player, made the finals nine times, lost eight and that after a very difficult childhood upbringing. I mean that shaped him in ways that he would say he couldn't even control. He was very open about depression and his demons, but just the Jerry I knew, like he was just so driven to win.
Speaker 2: Nothing was enough. But I would also.
Speaker 3: Say in public, you know, he carried himself in this regal fashion.
Speaker 2: I mean he was always.
Speaker 3: Dressed, immaculately, hair never out of place. I can remember the All Star Game in Cleveland twenty twenty two when the NBA that was the All Star weekend, when the NBA announced its seventy five team, the seventy five greatest players in league history, and I was staying in the same hotel as a lot of the NBA alumni, the older players who were going to be celebrated as part of this. I can still see Jerry walking into that hotel lobby and just everything stopped. I mean, he was just absolutely magnetic. And you know, again just we're talking about one of the giants, giants of.
Speaker 2: The game, and.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I'm kind of a scattered mess this morning, because you know I was. I really feel fortunate that when I broke into the league in the nineties, first I was a Clippers beat writer for two years, and then I was a Lakers beat writer for two years. So I didn't get to see Algin Baylor play and I didn't get to see Jerry West play. And in those days, I've told this story that when I started in the nineties, just even getting highlights of those guys was so hard. The history of the game in the fifties, sixties, the seventies, it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't preserved well.
Speaker 3: So I remember when I got on the Clipper beat, I said, do you guys have.
Speaker 2: Any footage of Elgin Baylor?
Speaker 3: And the Clippers actually called the league and asked the league to put together an Elgin Baylor highlight reel. Just so I could see it, just so I could get a better feel for it. So to cover Elgin as the Clippers GM, and then to cover Jerry as the Lakers GM. In my first few years covering the league, I mean, it was it was really an education. And look, I think you probably remember this when the HBO series Winning Time came out.
Speaker 2: I know you remember this, and I was certainly not alone.
Speaker 3: A lot of us really were bothered by the portrayal of Jerry West because, yes, in private, he certainly had a temper and would certainly erupt on you on occasion.
Speaker 2: And I think.
Speaker 3: Every Beat writer who covered the Lakers has that kind of story. But they portrayed West as violently angry in public, and it was just like in public, Jerry West was again like royalty walking into a room. He wasn't like that, you He would never show that side in public. And the other thing that just bothered me so much about it, Jerry West was such a decisive executive and he made decisions.
Speaker 2: Hard decisions.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Again, my first experience writing about the NBA was writing about the Lakers drafting Vlade Devots in nineteen eighty nine, and you know, Jerry was the one in that Laker front office. He was obviously the lead decision maker, but that was his call. The other voices in the Lakers organization were not saying, let's draft Vlade Devots from Europe, a player none of us have really seen. But that was Jerry's call. Jerry had the gumption to do it, and those were the kind of moves that he made. And just I just remember when the HBO show came out, so many people were so upset by the way West was portrayed, because you know, he was not this rage aholic in public.
Speaker 2: You know, he still.
Speaker 3: Moved as just gracefully as he did as a player. And so, like I said, I can go on and on and on, I have to say that, like I'm I'm going to try to gather my thoughts here. You know, we've got this finals game tonight and the series is in my city. But you know, I am definitely going to when I can step back and write a more polished tribute to Jerry, because, like I said, I've been doing this for more than thirty seasons myself, and in all that time, there is literally no one I more looked forward to speaking with than Jerry West. A conversation with him. Was that absorbing and entertaining.
Speaker 4: You know, you brought up that that All Star weekend a few years ago. What was it Cleveland? I believe it was in Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Cleveland was the Yeah, All NBA seventy five All NBA.
Speaker 4: So I was the couple of things. I was one of the lone reporters that had access that the NBA gave access to be in the backstage.
Speaker 2: Which I am extremely jealous of extra. I mean, don't get me started on that Stein.
Speaker 4: That was a That was an experience, man, that was an experience that It was actually the first time I was in the same room with Michael Jordan.
Speaker 5: I was I've never met Michael Jordan until that day.
Speaker 4: And just being around those guys seventy five, being around the legends, and you know, Dame made the team as well, you know, you know, so that was just a cool experience to be around all those iconic figures. But that All Star weekend was the last time that I had an extended conversation with Jerry West.
Speaker 5: Do you remember Stein? We did T and T. It was pretty cool too.
Speaker 4: We did a it was like a draft drafting of the top seventy five players.
Speaker 5: It was only the top seventy five players, and.
Speaker 4: They were there were teams as symbol like it was a team of Chuck the inside.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 4: It was me and Shams on teams together. It was Dominique Wilkins had had a team.
Speaker 5: It was a draft. We all picked.
Speaker 2: You got the GM with Jerry West.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was but the thing he stole the show.
Speaker 4: So I would encourage people to go go back and check out that show redrafting of the top seventy five players. And what I mean by Jerry West still in the show, he had all these iconic stories. You know, he talked about rating for Kobe Bryant, you know, getting the rights to trade for Kobe Bryant, and what went into that Magic Johnson, the stories he had about Magic Johnson, Like he was the star of the show, which is very hard to do when the show cast consists of Charles Barkley.
Speaker 5: Jerry West stole the show. He was the star of that show. So please y'all go check that out. Man.
Speaker 4: Jerry dropped some legendary gems. He was just he was just himself, man. So that was a great time. That was actually the last time that again, I was able to have a conversation with him extensively, and so I appreciate being able to have that.
Speaker 5: Moment with him.
Speaker 3: I know that as soon as I get the chance, I'm going to take a step back, as I said, and put together a proper written tribute to the man. But you know, again, I was so looking forward to tonight. This is the first Finals game in Dallas since twenty eleven. I didn't get to cover the first two games of the series in Boston, and you just got here and I was so psyched to see you later tonight and cover this game. But honestly, now I'm really thinking of what is it going to be like when the NBA does that moment of silence tonight, and I just this just I had similar feelings. I was away in London when Bill Walton passed away, and that was the first thing I thought of when I knew I was going to miss the next game. I really wanted to be in the arena for that moment. It's both I want to be in the arena for the moment, but I'm also a little bit afraid about losing my composure on press row because again for me, personally. I don't want to make this about me, but it's I think it's hard when we lose figures like this, just legends of the game. It's hard not to think about what they meant to you personally and how your interactions were with them. And I've always said, like, I just feel so lucky having to be able to do this for the past three decades that I didn't get to see Bill Walton at his best, I didn't get to see Jerry West at his playing best, but to get the chance to cover them for so long in their post playing careers, and obviously Bill Walton had such an impact as a broadcaster.
Speaker 2: And look, Jerry West.
Speaker 3: I've always said this, and you could fill the debate shows for hours with this one, but Jerry West might be the greatest Laker we've ever seen. And that's a big thing to say when you're talking about a franchise that featured Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neil and Wilt Chamberlain for a spell and all the Laker greats that we can go.
Speaker 2: On on and on and on about.
Speaker 3: But Jerry did it as both a player and as an executive and he only won the one championship as a player because he and Algend Baylor, another Lakers legend, they had to deal with the buzz saw that was the Bill Russell Celtics. But for Jerry, he tried coaching but found his calling as a front office person and the championship teams he built as an executive. And again nineteen ninety six, a much younger and much skinnier Mark Stein Laker beat writer in the press conference and they work the draft day trade to get Kobe Bryant. A few weeks later, they complete the signing of Shaquille O'Neil away from the Orlando Magic. I don't know that any front office executive in any sport is ever going to have a better offseason than when Jerry West was able to bring both Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neil to Lakerland. So it certainly gives him a claim in the argument to greatest Laker of all time. It's going to be Magic for a lot of Laker fans. It's going to be Kobe for a lot of Laker fans, younger Laker fans. But I mean, Jerry West was and enduring force of nature before you or I were even born. Man, we had all kinds of plans for this podcast previewing Game four. I know people want to talk about the Lakers coaching search. I am admittedly struggling to think about anything else right now.
Speaker 2: I'm just being honest with you.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's a tough time, you know.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the statements that are being released by several teams and individuals. You know, Adam Silver, the commissioner in released the statement as well.
Speaker 2: Did you see what Michael Jordan said.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna reader Stein quote.
Speaker 4: I am so deeply satin at the news of Jerry's passing. He was truly a friend and mentor, like an older brother to me. I valued his friendship and knowledge. I always wish I could have played against him as a competitor, but the more I came to know him, I wish I had been a teammate. I admired his basketball insights, and he and I shared many similarities to how we approach the game. He will be forever missed. My condolences to his wife, Karen and his sons. Rest in peace logo. Yeah, that speaks volumes right there.
Speaker 3: When Michael Jordan offers that level of praise, I think that tells you.
Speaker 5: Yes, it speaks volumes, you know.
Speaker 4: Like I said, we're getting figures like Michael Jordan, Adam Silver issuing statements, teams issuing statements. The Lakers, who we know, you know, he had it ended up having a strained relationship with that organization. They have yet to issue a statement, but they did tweet honoring the legendary Jerry West and just put a picture of him with the the year was born and the year he passed. So be interested to see what they do moving forward, because we know they you know, it was kind of a rocky road towards the end for those two.
Speaker 3: You mentioned that strained relationship with the Lakers, and there's no question that in recent years there was a complete breakdown in Jerry's relationship with the Lakers, which is just so difficult to process still because he's meant so much to that franchise. But obviously he was a consultant and part of a championship brain trust in Golden State. Steve Balmer went all out to bring Jerry to the Clippers, and the Clippers obviously have not won a championship to match Golden State, but Balmer brought Jerry into the Clippers' front office in hopes that his wisdom and experience could help them finally break through and win it all. In twenty eighteen, I was assigned to write a long piece on Jerry for the New York Times, and that was at the end or approaching the end of his first season with the Clippers, And that was a story that meant a lot to me to go to La and spend some time with him and chronicle that move to the Clippers. But there's so much we could and should and thought we'd be talking about in this podcast today. Obviously the Finals, the Celtics are up two to zero, the series shifts now to Dallas. We're not sure if Christaps Porzingis is going to play in this Game three, so a huge game in.
Speaker 2: The series tonight.
Speaker 3: And obviously the Lakers coaching search and their inability to convince Dan Hurley to leave Yukon. There is so much we could be talking about on those fronts. But on the Finals front, we're so close to Game three game time now, we're gonna come back tomorrow or Friday with a podcast before Game four. That just makes more sense, I think for us to be able to react to where the series is instead of saying a bunch of stuff now that might be invalidated by what happens in this game three and depending on whether porzingis played. And again, I know there's great interest in the state of the Lakers coaching search, and we will get into all that next time, because it just I gotta be honest, man, it just doesn't feel right to try to pay tribute to the logo a legend, a player, coach executive of Jerry west stature, and then to transition to the coaching search that his former franchise is going to.
Speaker 2: That's all over the map right now.
Speaker 3: So I think those topics we can get back to them in the next pod. They'll still obviously both the finals and the Lakers coaching search will be ongoing, and we can get into those then. But I hope you guys can understand to me, and I think, Chris, I hope you agree with me.
Speaker 2: I think you agree with me.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't feel doesn't feel easy to transition into strict basketball matters right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a time and place, and right now I think the time is for us to mourn the loss and remember and give our proper tributes and condolencence to the family.
Speaker 5: Of Jeri West.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well said condolences to Karen, to everyone in the family. We both know, Johnny and Ryan, both executives in today's NBA. Just hurting for everyone who knew and loved Jerry West and for basketball fans everywhere because what he meant to this league. There are just few individuals who have contributed as much to this game, to this sport, to this league as the one and only Jerry West.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 3: Thanks a mil for joining us on this. I know it turned out to be a very melancholy edition of this League Uncut.
Speaker 2: Appreciate your understanding. I hope you.
Speaker 3: Enjoyed with us though, reminiscing in some of the stories we've told about Jerry West because he was such an iconic figure in this game. Chris and I, as I said, we are in the same city for the next two games the next few nights, so we will be back together again very soon here on this league uncut to get into everything going on in the series, update you on this crazy Lakers coaching search. We will do all of that next time. Thanks again for listening. We will be back with you very very soon