Speaker 1: The longer this thing plays out with Brandon, do you have to do anything in camp to kind of adjust to the possibility or likelihood that he won't.
Speaker 2: Be with the team.
Speaker 3: And I think, like I said at the beginning of camp, like you know, I've kind of planned for everything, you know, not knowing it could go any direction. So we've been doing the same stuff. If that continues, we'll keep doing what we planned on. And you know, the hardest thing is just not as much wide outs out there, So we got to make sure we get through that with some of the injuries and stuff.
Speaker 2: But no, nothing changing right now.
Speaker 4: There needs to be resolved pretty soon.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, you always want it to be badly, but this stuff does take time, and you know, every day I hope it gets resolved, but I have no timetable on it. Like it didn't surprise me coming into this, going about coaching our team, getting ready for week one and hopefully you'll get resolved though sooner than later.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, there's.
Speaker 4: An area where you do a long term deal with him.
Speaker 3: There's this there's a scenario for everything, so I want to rule anything out.
Speaker 4: Would his team be better if you trade it?
Speaker 3: Ran?
Speaker 4: Now you see a scenario where you're better because of that.
Speaker 3: I mean, Brand's a great player, so it's real hard to to be.
Speaker 2: Better when you lose a great player. So we got to look into anything.
Speaker 3: We got to understand the situation we're in what that looks like, and that does take time. So hopefully it'll all work out best for him and best for us in the long run.
Speaker 4: He has the permission to talk to other teams. Is that correct? Yes, there disappointment it's reached this point. I know it could be resolved.
Speaker 2: I mean it's been.
Speaker 3: It's been at this point for a little bit, so it's nothing really new to me. I mean, you're always disappointed when you can't keep ahold of all your players or it's not going exactly right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't like losing anybody.
Speaker 3: So that's why I'm hoping it does work out here. But right now we don't have that solve JET, so I hope it does.
Speaker 4: It's the offer you guys made in may have final offer.
Speaker 2: Or is there a chance.
Speaker 3: I mean I'm not getting any specifics with offers, contracts, trades, anything like that. But what I can't tell you guys is nothing has changed. I know a lot was out yesterday and stuff. But from the situation that we're in with Brandon, nothing's changed.
Speaker 1: The veteran receiver walked off the street into this offense, how long would it take that player tech you'd have to speed and be ready at all.
Speaker 2: Two and a half days.
Speaker 3: It depends who it is, you know, it depends the situation experience of the offense, where he's at in his career.
Speaker 2: So I got no absolutes for you.
Speaker 4: Deal took a while last year obviously, all the way to the red. Why is this one different?
Speaker 2: I'm not going to get into that.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's every each one's different, and I'm not going to compare voses to brandness, a.
Speaker 1: Current of comfortability level with the wide receivers that you have obviously debos there, you have joinings there and stuff.
Speaker 4: But with the younger guys, where there's.
Speaker 2: Your comfortability level with them. I love the guys that we have in the building. I love the vets that we've had here that have played a high level.
Speaker 3: Love the new ones we brought in for competition, and I love the young guys. You know, they have been banged up trying to get healthy, you know, battle on the shoulder battle on a hamstring. But when they're out there, they're getting better and I hope, I hope that they can get healthy continue to stay healthy so they can't get the time in that they need to be ready. I know they will be if they get that time in, but that's the risky and hard.
Speaker 2: Thing about football.
Speaker 3: Football is tough thing to practice, tough thing to get prepared for, and you've got to do that at a very high level. And you hope they have no setbacks as they go along, and if they don't, I feel very good about the guys because they got what it takes.
Speaker 2: His perspective, is.
Speaker 1: It potentially detrimental to the team to keep how you care if he's unhappy and doesn't have an extension?
Speaker 3: I mean, everything can be I mean totally. It's we're trying to figure out what the situations are. They're always moving and what the best one will be. But yeah, there's there's pluses and minuses every situations.
Speaker 4: Random talk to you a lot about this or is this?
Speaker 1: Are that?
Speaker 3: No, it's I think we did at the beginning, and but we've kept we haven't been talking about it much with each other, and most of that goes through his agent and John Christian. Christian has a calf strain, did a couple of days ago. That's all right, you know, they didn't pull it or anything, but you guys probably won't see him this preseason.
Speaker 2: Matt Rita and we haven't seen Elijah Mitchell lately Matt.
Speaker 3: Elijah has a strained hamstring too. Didn't pull it, but we're gonna be safe with him. So he's gonna miss probably a week or so. So we had to bring Madden, which was awesome to have that available. We need some numbers out there and to be able to get a legit player who's had a hell of a career, who's been here before too.
Speaker 2: I felt pretty fortunate.
Speaker 4: Are you communication with Trent Williams at all? And and do you know what he's doing right now?
Speaker 2: I don't know what he's doing. I believe he's in Houston.
Speaker 3: I know that's where he lives an off season, but confident Tren's working out, getting ready and stuff, and hopefully that'll be resolved as tests possible to Christian missed practice, what's that You expect Christian to be out probably a couple of weeks with the team. I'm not sure how don't even discussed that. Yeah, he tweets his shoulder something that he did in O t as. I don't know if it's too serious, but that's why we removed him halfway through practice.
Speaker 4: Players are a team like Jalen Moore.
Speaker 3: Seems like he's in a tough position where obviously ahead of him, but you're you're able to run your offense. How role players are huge on our team and in every team because I mean it's it's always next man up, and you can lose a guy at any time, and if you don't have a guy who can come in and do that job at some important positions, I mean, that can take the whole team down.
Speaker 2: So it's not just Jalen, but you.
Speaker 3: Know guys who back up George, Guys who backup are wide outs or quarterback. You guys have seen it over the years. You keep your fingers crossed, but you're always gonna lose some real good players and usually your season depends on how good those backups are.
Speaker 1: When when he first came in that he connect right away with Bobby Turner and that he didn't really know he found out later he didn't really know how to be a pro. But it is that unusual for an undrafted free agent coming and not connect, But you guys still see enough in him to hang on to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it's just relationships.
Speaker 3: With everyone, whether you're young or older or I mean, it takes time to get to know people and really want make some tick. And I mean, Bobby's going to be Bobby regardless. He has a coaching style to himself and that is very successful. He has a standard and he demands a lot out of people, and sometimes I don't know if that comes off always the right way to every single person. But I think when you're consistent each day and people realize you're a good coach, you eventually don't care.
Speaker 2: About that style.
Speaker 3: You just respect that they're making you better each day and challenging that way to and hopefully you look at it as that will help your career. And sometimes especially on your history, how people have coached you, maybe in high school or college or before. Sometimes that can shock some guys, but usually the guy once he realizes that this pert since real and why he's doing it, usually it's not a problem.
Speaker 2: And JP's been great, Ricky.
Speaker 3: If he were you were to be unavailable for week one, regards of the situation, how comfortable would you feel with Ricky potentially slotting in for him and the start of the season.
Speaker 2: I feel comfortable with whoever it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just it's issue as a coach, you always I mean there's times that I think I missed a game last year and we had to do that, So it's something.
Speaker 2: You're always prepared for.
Speaker 3: You could also be with us and everything could be great, and he could get hurt like has happened plenty of times. I Mean, we lost a running back on a walk through the practice before our first game a few years ago with Jet McKinnon and didn't have him for the whole year. So we had a quarterback towards ACL in Week three one year. So that's stuff that you're always used to and ready for.
Speaker 1: Have you mapped out how much you want the starters to play in the first preseason game and what the.
Speaker 2: Quarterback rotation is going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I talked about it with our staff yesterday when the players were off, but I haven't told any of the players yet, so I'm not gonna say exactly here, but we don't plan on many of the starters to play. I know some guys will have to, but for the most part, starters shouldn't be in much If it all.
Speaker 1: D Clark Dad, it is curious of maybe your first interaction or fun story you have.
Speaker 4: With Dwight over the years.
Speaker 3: I just always remember Dwight at all the camps up in Rockland when I was in middle school, running around and just I didn't realize how good of a player he was at that time because I was too young, and I just thought he was one of the coolest guys in the world, just walking around like he was the man like where everyone.
Speaker 2: Just respected him. I was like, why is that guy so special?
Speaker 3: And I remember my mom crushing me for not knowing what the catch was when I was in sixth grade. I didn't grow up here and didn't totally know from I think I was two or one and a half at the time, so she should have been softer on me, but she wasn't, and she made me feel stupid. And now I get why, because it's one of the best plays ever.
Speaker 1: Now that you're experienced a hold in for the first time, do you have any thoughts whether you prefer that to a holdout?
Speaker 3: No, I mean it's nice not having a it's nice not finding guys, you know, so it's but I mean it's there's not much of a difference he has the irritation or taking it easy on him, have him not pun here for a little bit, and want to figure out something for the game.
Speaker 4: He as a coach, obviously you want I assume you purchase brandon value is on the field and taking there a contractually. Obviously I know that you don't ignore the financial.
Speaker 2: Part of it. But I don't know how frustrating is.
Speaker 4: It, you know, because I think, as you've said, you're a better team that kid's here. You don't probably don't want him to not be here.
Speaker 3: What's the frustration level in your emotions as you've gone through this calculated and prepared. I mean, you want everybody out there. I'm frustrated guys are hurt and can't get out there. All you want to do is practice and get ready for the tough season that's ahead. But you also truly understand the business side of our league and what these guys do and put themselves through what they have to go through.
Speaker 2: In these deals.
Speaker 3: So whether it's a hold in or whether it's a holdout, I mean, this stuff is pretty common and you just got to be patient with it as a coach, all right, guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks