Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live every day at YouTube dot com slash the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: It's The Dan Patrick Show with Doug Gottlieb. I'm Dan Byer. It is Fox Sports Radio. Having some technical difficulties Doug, not only myself but also with the equipment. But yeah, we're in for Dan Patrick here on this New Year's Day.
Speaker 4: Happy New Year, Happy New Year to you as well. Your son's not old enough yet. But I did hear you last hour say we took in the new year East Coast time, in Central time, and then I assume after writing down some notes gettingad for the show, you went to sleep.
Speaker 3: Then we here up till one. Hell yeah, my wife loves to celebrate. We're over at my father in law, so quite honest, he was a great way to celebrate because there was a point in twenty twenty four where we didn't know if he was going to make it to twenty twenty five, so it was really nice to celebrate. But she bought some cookies and my son got into the cookies at nine thirty and at twelve thirty was still wired, just running everywhere. So yeah, it's been quite quite a new year. But when he finally zonked out at like one am, we all were ready to call it tonight.
Speaker 4: That's that's funny because I remember when my son, when Hayes' was little, we were at our first time back in California. So this is two thousand, we must have been. This must have been twenty seventeen to twenty eighteen, so he was what was he two thousand and eight, so he was eight, And his whole thing was I just want to watch the ball drop, Like I've never watched the ball So we're like, all right, well you can watch it at nine, right nice East Coast time, like watch it at nine, and again, I don't know if the coverage had change over were on the wrong channel, but I remember watching like or watching like Ryan Seacrest or whatever, and on West Coast time, they don't show the ball drop on that show, and we're like, what the heck happened? They're like, yeah, they didn't don't show it here, so we thought we had like the wrong channel. So we're like, all right, dude, you can stay up till ten, ten o'clock, half ten o'clock, you know, and and you know, he's starting to get kind of wound up or whatever. And ten o'clock and he's playing video games, like hey dude, hey, ball's about to drop. Then we're going to bed, and we flip it over to a different channel. Like it was like CNN, Like, yes, CNN, how could they they definitely have to have it dropping in Dallas? Yes, right, Nope, nothing, nothing skipped over. Nothing, They don't show it. They don't show it's the ultimate t's were like, come on, man ends up obviously having to stay up until midnight, and we're just all just miserable the next day, miserable because it wasn't that staying up till midnight is that big a deal. But when you were planning on shutting it down at about nine thirty ten, and then we would shut it down about like ten fifteen ten, Yeah, then it becomes a bigger dnight Like dang, you know, you got it and I'm not a sleeping guy, and neither is he So to all parents out there who they wanted to go to bed and their kid kept him up, we feel for you today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please don't judge my parenting skills. But he just he got into the cookies dug and it was over. He grabbed the cookie we a loted to have one, and then he ended up getting into them and we're like what And so, yes, twelve twelve thirty. We would love to have done the fake one just at eight thirty, just pretend to count down, But you are correct. ABC last night did not. For those on the West coast, we did not get to see the East Coast drop live. We actually had to watch it, and we watched it on CNN as it was live happening live. But I was watching ABC and they had a musical performer and I'm like, all right, this person isn't performing twenty five minutes before the ball's gonna drop, like no offense to their career. But I just like, I don't know who this is. There's no way they're putting this person on within thirty minutes of us on the New Year. So I knew that it was an elongated New Year's Eve with Ryan Seacrest.
Speaker 4: Well that of course, was what followed the college football playoff game, which had Boise State taking on Penn State, and I thought it was again you and I discussed this yesterday.
Speaker 5: I thought it was the perfect setup for Boise State.
Speaker 4: It's in the stadium where they had pulled off two gigantic upsets in bowl games previously. It's against a Big ten team, but one in which, like, let's just be honest, James Franklin has earned the reputation of really good against everybody except the ones that really really matter. Right, that's his reputation based all statistical data, right, And you know, they were rested whereas Penn State had to play. They have a star running back, and they have history on their side. I also thought it's interesting, right, like Dirt Cutter's their offensive coordinator. Dirt Cutter was probably the second coach to really get it going at Boise State, right, right, They used to win those the when they were one Double A national championships, but he was the first in the Division one level to really get it going. But now he's back there. That's obviously kind of quirky and interesting. But to have a week off, to be the noted underdog, to be in a place in which the program historically had pulled off upsets before perfect setup. The difference was there was no argument from the other side of the game didn't really matter, right, you can't can't, can't get that excuse up doesn't matter when now you're playing the first ever college twelve playoff. And I think we both agreed that. Again, if I'm speaking out of turn dan Field Free, that was a mismatch. It wasn't like a it wasn't like Sam Houston State against you know, Georgia first game in the of the year match, but it was one in which realistically eight nine times in ten Penn State wins that game because they're just a little bit better at most every spot outside of running back, and there wasn't really that much difference in running back either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't agree with you, but I look at it in a way where I think that if if if a group of five school or how many there are now, if one of those schools is gonna beat someone, I just feel they need a quarterback that's gonna throw it all over the yard and just rise above. Like even if Boise State was good, like there's they're a team that hangs their hat on the running game, and I just don't think that translates. And Penn State's not a great matchup for them. Maybe if they maybe if they played someone else, you know, it would have been a different story. But Notre Dame's got a heck of a defense. I don't know if I would have wanted to, you know, to go up against that defense as well. Penn State is pretty good, but yeah, it's just it's a tough ask. It is, I don't think overmatched, but a tough one to win. Yeah, eight out of nine, yeah, eight nine, maybe maybe ten out of ten. I'm not sure. I still think that should be in. But yeah, they weren't going to win last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like there's no one you and I love watch appreciate college football. We would both say that one powerful, non power ford school should get in, you know, should definitely get it. That doesn't mean it can't be too on a given year, but should definitely get it. But in no way should they be a seed where they get a get a buy. Yeah, what are we doing? And it's just such a massive over correction And it's just honestly, it's a loophole that somebody's like, wait, what how did we not figure this thing out? Like, yeah, well there was this thing we did the conference champions had to get to buy and we forgot that if you lost in your conference championship game, then you weren't like what are we doing?
Speaker 5: So that obviously be remedied.
Speaker 4: It'll it takes what there's one more year in this cycle, but that was a loophole that needs to be closed up. And if it looks like a clown show, because the the you know, the committee that put together these rules hadn't done before, you're right, they hadn't done it before. So I don't know if it was a clown show or just one of those you know, of all the possible things that could have happened. And oh yeah, by the way, nobody expected the ACC to be this bad. No one ever thought, like, you've got a league with Florida State, with Miami, Clemson, in Virginia Tech. No one would ever think the ACC would be this bad. But here's the news flash for you. The ACC is abysmal. Why and again, I hate to be that guy, but I would say half the schools in that league are playing a different sport because they don't have nearly the money of a florida'sday. And I know Florida State was bad this year, Matt. You want to talk about difference in twenty three and twenty four, there's Florida State football for you.
Speaker 5: Holy cow.
Speaker 3: Well, Doug, I know one of your gripes too, is that Arizona State didn't get to play in the Fiesta Bowl. And during the college football season, it was announced that each of the Power four leagues were going to be assigned to a bowl game in the quarterfinals. So the Big ten champ was going to go to the Rose Bowl, the SCC champ was going to go to the Sugar Bowl, the Big twelve champ was likely to go to the Fiesta Bowl, and then the ACC champ was going to go to the Peach Bowl. But what ended up happening is because of Boise State's breakthrough. Because they were taking those top four, those top four buys and putting them in those games. It knocked the ACC completely out because they didn't have a first round by and then they moved Boise State to the Fiesta Bowl because they were seated higher, something we talked about yesterday. And then that's why Arizona State's ending up playing in the Peach Bowl today. Yeah, it was just a complete mess. I'll even say this, I don't think we have a good sense of who Penn State is. And I know Penn State fans are like, who cares, We're in the semifinals and we're in the Orange Bowl. But they were the team that I felt was got the most benefit of the power schools. Sorry, I know SMU is in a power league, but now they got the Their conference championship game wasn't used against them. They didn't have any really great wins. They lost to Ohio State. They and now they got not only did they get the sixth seed, they got SMU at home and then they're in the bracket with Poise State and so now they're in the semi finals. And yeah, I don't even know. I really don't know. Georgia and Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: I mean, Notre Dame Penn State would be amazing, But I don't think Georgia Penn State will be a particularly good game.
Speaker 5: That'd be my guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you have you have Texas, Ohio State, and Oregon all on one side of the bracket.
Speaker 4: Just as the crazy thing about it is the NCAA tournament, right, and when they come out with these matchups, and I believe them because I've seen them go through the process, I have is that it doesn't even though we have these quirkya matchups like, oh, the committee thinks they're being clever putting this team against that team, Like, it.
Speaker 5: Doesn't really work that way.
Speaker 4: There's too many moving pieces, too many moving parts, you know, b Yu can't play in a Sunday like. We got a lot of different things you got to do that go above and beyond, and sometimes matchups were in this one, there's only twelve teams.
Speaker 5: You knew how who most of them were.
Speaker 4: And again there was no we made you made up the rules as you went, like how they still screw it up, and they still screwed it up.
Speaker 5: It really screwed it up.
Speaker 3: The one thing they got right was Indiana Notre Dame was a fun game because of the state of Indiana.
Speaker 4: Sure, and putting Indiana if they're in, you got to put them on the road, yeah, you know, but they didn't really belong in them and they weren't, you know. And the other thing we've seen, and this may be really the ultimate talking point, is you know, now you're getting people like, why don't we just go to sixteen, like or maybe there's really just not even twelve teams that are that Yes.
Speaker 3: That's probably the best. The biggest takeaway from this, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like flour was actually pretty fine. It was actually kind of worked.
Speaker 4: You know, what they could have done was do the old bull system and then pick four teams and play a little tournament. That would have been super cool. Would have dragged on later on the year, but I think it would have been better. That would probably been a better idea. But we all wanted we got to have a playoff. We've got to have a playoff. Everybody has a playoff except the Bulls, isn't. We got to have a playoff, And this is what we've chosen, and it's it's just now, here's the Here's the issue that unfortunately the Mountain West and every other league is going to run into is the confirmation bias of what we just saw. It doesn't even matter, Like this is a Boise State team with a near flawless resume, didn't lose a game, have a superstar, a collegiate superstar running back, a historically significant program, Boise State again national champion at a lower level and they pulled off upsets. Boise State has earned everyone's respect over the last twenty five years for the product they've generally put out there, right, and they only lost one game this year to the number one team in the country, and it was by one point on that team's home field. And yet they were inadequate in comparison by comparison to the third best team in the Big Ten in their first College FOOTBA playof appearance. Again, it's not fair, but how the human brain works with ninety five percent of people is everyone's going to hold that against any other non power forward team from now until proven otherwise, and they will always get the lowest seed. Always, always, always no one. If you think no one believed in Boise last night, no one believes in any other team coming out of those because again, if you're going to win, you would think it's well coached, star player program that's won before, and they've shown that they could at least compete at the at the top level against Oregon earlier in the season.
Speaker 3: I'll say one other thing, Doug, Boise State this year, well, I think, unfortunately, because of what they did and how they played, will become a victim of Now we talk about strength of schedule and scheduling, I think that schools are going to want to schedule other power conference schools for non conference. There is not going to be a benefit for Oregon to continue to schedule Boise State great and so that's the tough part of this is we may get better games in September because of more cross conference stuff, but there is now absolutely no benefit for schools to do that because of the gap that we've told talked about, and it's really not fair to Boise and it's a shame and any of the other schools. If you NLV is trying to, you know, make that climb up as well. There's just no benefit for a power for school to play a non conference game against the Mountain West sort of school.
Speaker 5: That's a really, really, really really good point. He's Dan Byer.
Speaker 4: I'm dog Gottliebin for Dan Dannett's here and the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. What about a college football commissioner? Would would that change people's perception? Okay, would it change people's perception? I want to get into that. Rapid Radio is official Walkie Talking The Dan Patrick Show, our instant push to talk push the Talk, offering national LTE coverage and no subscription. Ever, business owners can keep in touch with up to two hundred staff at one time. Go to Rapid Radios dot com now from up to sixty percent off plus free shipping.
Speaker 5: Does college football need a commissioner? Who should it be? We'll discuss now next.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for the Danpatrick Show at foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the peacock app.
Speaker 4: Good morning to you, Happy New year, Doug Gotti, Dan Byron for Dan Danet's Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio, iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 5: Welcome in. Jared Smith will join us in about six seven minutes.
Speaker 4: He's our Fox Sports Radio betting analyst, and we'll get you ready for today's college football playoff games, as well as maybe take a to sneak peak at a couple of things going on this weekend.
Speaker 5: Week seventeen. The NFL is hard. It's difficult, right, I mean.
Speaker 4: You have a couple of games, which guys obviously Lions and Vikings, Oh my, they'll they'll be playing for home field advantage. But outside of that, a lot of wait, who who's playing and why are they playing? We don't know about Take one Barkley playing this weekend for the Eagles. Urban Meyer was on the Herd yesterday and uh he offered up this as what he believes is the solution to so many of the issues surrounding college football.
Speaker 6: No interest at all, you know, I just none.
Speaker 3: None.
Speaker 6: When you're a commissioner of a conference that let me put it this way, so imagine the NFL and they say, okay, Roger, we're going to now put the USFL in with the NFL. You guys are all going to be together. And that's what college sport. College football right now. Not everybody's not the same, right, they're not operating in the same guidelines. It's it's and it'll never be that way. You take in Ohio State, you take the wolver Raine, you take Georgia, and then you you're mixing son. I'm not gonnause name because I want teams to get mad here, but they're they're not the same, that's right. So this person has to lower their level and this person has raised to get any any type of equilibrium, and that's not going to happen Colin.
Speaker 4: So the question is, can there be a college foot football commissioner or a college sports commissioner and can you actually do anything with that job?
Speaker 5: What do you think, Dan?
Speaker 3: I don't have a lot of deep thoughts on it, honestly. I do think that on the surface, it's like, boy, it's a lot better to have just one voice be able to make decisions instead of ten eleven. But to Urban's point, what you really want is all of the top level schools and those conferences to be on the same page and then figure it out. So, yeah, I don't know who would would be. I don't know how it would be done, but it's not something that I've given tons of thought to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't understand the logic.
Speaker 4: In the idea we need to have it like a commissioner makes everything okay.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's also like the part of the oh, well, we just need to get rid of the NCAA. Well, so you're gonna have no ruling body. You're going to have a ruling body. The question is do you have a ruling And this is really what it cots down to. Are you going to have a ruling body that takes into account everybody or just the most powerful schools? And the best way to do it is probably how they do it in the House House of Representatives right where it's like weighted votes. That's really the way to do it is weighted votes. But if you have the way it is now is it's a lot like the Senate, where everybody has equal representation, no matter of the size of the state.
Speaker 3: Was I the only one who was waiting for Urban to say nobody you? I thought he was going to go down the road, I thought, But he did it. He learned. You know, so Doug, you walked so Urban could run. That's all right.
Speaker 7: I thought nobody you. Honestly, I thought it was some what kind of what is it? A colloquialism?
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 7: A word anyways? A word that is used in a circle but is relatively unknown. I thought nobody you was something that you you talked among your coaches and players about. But you just came up with that term on the fly.
Speaker 5: Huh correct?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 4: And again so for people I haven't been I don't know we haven't talked about this in Dan Patrick's show. So I mean, I thought what happened to me last year last week was awful. It really sucked. It sucked to be a part of something where it's it was a burner account that I don't know if it's a real get person.
Speaker 5: No one's found who this real person was a burner account.
Speaker 4: Took a previous press conference where I was talking about how difficult our schedule was, and then when we lost to Michigan Tech, and like, look, do you think I'm happy about losing to a high quality Division two team with several players who are from Green Bay.
Speaker 3: No, which you stated on your radio show the day before the game, saying like this is the Yeah, they're Division two, but they're not the Division two that you know, like this is. They were coming off of what a top five win, so yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah they won I don't know, five in row or six in a row or something. I mean, they're really good. And like if you think Division two is somehow like look at Drake, Like they have four Division two kids that they're undefeated. They beat us, they beat us too, They're really good.
Speaker 5: They're ranked. So anyway, the point is.
Speaker 4: I was basically describing there are some teams low level Division two, mostly Division three, that they're kind of like traffic cones, and I specifically said, like, I don't want to play those games. Matter of fact, the weekend before, we had an opportunity to play a doubleheader on our on campus arena, which is a four thousand seed arena, the Cress Center, with the women, and my my thing was the women were playing Creighton, Like, the women are really good. They have seven returning seniors, they're picked to win their league, and they're good, and you know, like, are we going to go out there and play against a Division three team or a low level Division two team and ask people to stay for you know, five and a half six hours and watch two basketball games and no one's gonna want to stay for our game and it kind of be embarrassing to have the women out draw us.
Speaker 5: That was my thing.
Speaker 4: This is going back way back to going into September when we're filling.
Speaker 5: Out the last couple of games.
Speaker 4: So I have a couple of friends in the Big West, Joe Pasternak, a friend who's at Santa Barbara, and I was like, all right, well, what if we got out of here, and we need home games next year. What if we played a home and home and you know, you see, Irvine wanted to play, but they wanted to play here. Santa Barbara is going to play here, and we really needed home games this year, and I just said I will go out there and play well. Part of it is one that should have been a game which we needed to win to kind of regain our confidence and to you kind of shuffle your deck throughout the season, but you just needed to feel good about things. And every team in our league plays two games in which they literally could show up, not practice for a.
Speaker 5: Week and win the game. And we don't have any of those.
Speaker 4: And so what I was saying was like, I actually respect that fans pay money to come see a reputable basketball game. I just, again in my office in September, didn't feel good about not having really competitive games. I'm like, yeah, Michigan Tech, that'll be competitive. Be a good game. Did I think we'd win. Yeah, you know, we didn't have the nation's leading scorer. He's hurt, and my point guard got hurt. When we're up thirteen, he dives on the floor and hurt gets a concussion, hurts his neck, you know, like, and then we choked away a game we should have won and they were really good. So that happens, Like that's sports. Our margins are really really slight because we're not that much better than them and they can beat us. And so I was going on and on about how I got to learn about scheduling and not scheduled teams like a Michigan Tech that or not scheduled teams like a Santa Barbara when I'm filling it a game and they were really good, like there, that's a game we were I think we were twenty point underdogs going to that game or something crazy going down there. Right, So the point is that that's what was actually said, and then it was weaponized against me in a complete It wasn't just mischaracterized. It was the opposite of what I was saying and how it was portrayed, and then people pick it up and reputable news organizations use it, which again like that that felt the opposite of good, felt like it was super unfair. But now I'm like, Okay, I created a term nobody you maybe I should trademark that thing, Dan, Can I trademark it?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: You should get something out of it, That's for sure.
Speaker 5: It was not not fun.
Speaker 4: Let's welcome in Jared Smith, Fox Sports Radio betting analysts, co host of Fox Sports Radios Countdown to Kickoff, which airs each Saturday between nine a m.
Speaker 5: And noon Eastern Time.
Speaker 4: You can listen live on any of our Fox Sports Radio philliates on the IHEUT Radio apresented by bet M g M.
Speaker 5: Jared.
Speaker 4: Let's start with last night was what was your pregame analysis on the line? Was a twelve at kickoff?
Speaker 5: Is that what it was? And fifty was the over under?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was at twelve and a half and fifty. I think it was fifty three to fifty four. We did get some money on the over late. I like Penn State in the game. I liked the over over didn't get home. Penn State did the big takeaway for me. And I think I've created a chart last night. And on the left, I put pass on the right, I put run boise first and ten. Every time they ran the ball on first and ten, I put a check mark on the right. Every time they passed it on first and tent, I put a check mark on the left. And my analysis was if Dirk Cutter the OC of Boise State does not you know, throw curveballs here, which is essentially first and ten.
Speaker 2: Boise likes to ron ron and then throw on third down. Very predictable, very vanilla offense.
Speaker 8: They're gonna have to change things up and get aggressive in order for them to win this game. Well, my final count was nineteen runs on first and ten seven passes. One of the passes was the play action touchdown on that tight end leak play early in the second half, which is really well designed play. But they didn't do enough of the you know, changing of their of their scheme in order to make things different for Penn State. Because you just line up and play that game. Penn State's obviously the better football team. A lot of those first down runs were you know, gain a two gain of four. Genty got a little bit of smoke late in the game, as he tends to do once the defense wears down a little bit.
Speaker 2: But the Abdul Carter injury was huge for Penn State.
Speaker 8: I thought the offense played well, too many mistakes penalties.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have.
Speaker 8: A much tougher goal of it in the next round against Notre dameer Georgia because they can't just out physical one of those teams, like last night, Penn State just kind of got by on some of their talent. I think against Notre damer Georgia and the Orange Bowl next week, they're gonna have to play much cleaner football and they're gonna have to do something spectacular on the offensive side because the defense is Boise's defense was not ready for that physicality last night from the Penn State offensive line. I think it's gonna be a very different game next week. But as an a lawm, I'm thrilled I'll be in Miami for the game.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. It's gonna be an awesome experience.
Speaker 8: But I think it's going to be a very different vibe when they actually step up in class, because, let's be honest, Boise just not worthy of a buy in a three seed and a gift into the quarterfinals. They've got a little bit of work to do, but a great season for the Broncos.
Speaker 3: I think you sufficiently analyzed Penn State, Doug and I talked to earlier of really still not knowing how good they are. They're a good football team, but this early run in the playoff, you can't tell much from SMU and Boise State. So I'm gonna shift gears to the Sugar Bowl. How good is Georgia without Carson Beck as they take on Notre Dame tonight.
Speaker 2: It's a good question, Dan.
Speaker 8: I think from everything I've heard, he's a gamer and he doesn't have the talent that Carson Beck has, but he does have the moxie and there's a story about him.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: He's really not a highly town to recruit coming out of high school ranks in Georgia, but very very prolific passer actually had I think he beat out Watson and the other high school quarterback to Georgia that has all the yards. He did have a really prolific season, but doesn't have the physical tools that a Carson Beck might have. But he went to this camp, you know, coming out and before he went to Georgia, and by the end of the camp, I heard all the quarterbacks and receivers were like gravitating around him, like he's one of those magnetizing personalities. And I think he's gonna need it in this game. He tailed off a little bit in the SEC Championship game. He started out, you know fast. I think the element of surprise kind of caught Texas off guard there, but then their defense settled in. I think the key in this game, the matchup really in this game, though, is going to be Georgia's defense against that Notre Dame offense.
Speaker 2: I think the game plan for Kirby Smart is very simple.
Speaker 8: When you're facing a mobile quarterback like Riley Leonard and you're trying to deal with that. You know, the running game for Jeremiah Love. You start with the extra defender in the box. You're not worried about Notre Dame beating you deep on an explosive pass play on early downs.
Speaker 2: I think you're gonna see less blitzing.
Speaker 8: George's big win against Texas earlier this year, they blitzed a ton. You don't want to blitz a mobile quarterback because that's how you kind of activate his legs. And I think you're gonna see a ton of zone coverage because when you're playing zone coverage, instead of playing man to man where you're running with defenders your backs to the quarterback, when you play zone, you drop back eyes on the quarterback and if he does break the pocket, then you've you've got you know, eleven eyeball or eleven sets of eyeballs all watching him, and just in general. I think you're gonna see some stunts as well, because if you don't blitz a lot, you got to figure out why to ge pressure. Notre Dame struggle to block stunts this year. So I think the game plan for Kirby Smart is very simple. The priors say, with extra time to prepare for a relatively one dimensional offense, Georgia's defense is gonna show up in this game. The volatility here is is can gunner stocked in be at least efficient enough don't make the big mistake.
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna lean heavily on the run with ETN.
Speaker 8: Can they get sufficient offense down to down to kind of keep Notre Dames offense off the field. So I think that's kind of the game within the game here. I do expect the running games for both sides to be prominent. I think the undermakes sense here. Forty five and a half felt like when we saw that number move up a little bit earlier this week, it was a little.
Speaker 2: Bit too high. So I'm on the under forty five and a half Georgia Notre Dame tonight.
Speaker 4: All right, Georgia Notre Dame is the nightcap Tonight's let's before we get there, Okay, let's work to Texas taking on Arizona State.
Speaker 5: Right, that's the game that's going to take place.
Speaker 4: Kickoff in about an hour and twenty five minutes or so. Sun Devils have travel all the way to Georgia take on the Horns. Horns have only lost to one team this year, that being Georgia. If you haven't seen Cam scattabow play, I mean that is a that is a hard running, tough dude. And Texas, for as good as they look on paper, yeah, offense, quarterback play you know, just been okay, especially late in the season. But a big, big number Jared Big it's what thirteen and a half right now, and the total fifty two?
Speaker 8: Yeah, massive, And we're actually seeing some movement on Texas this morning. I actually just saw a shop go to fourteen, and I think that kind of aligns with what we've seen in the CFP, right, Doug like it just the favorites have just been covering it at a crazy rate.
Speaker 2: Five and zero now. Actually, after last night's Penn State game.
Speaker 8: Scatabo is insane second best run grade in the country behind gent and The thing about scatabow and this is it kind of goes back to the Boise State thing last night. They need to be different with the way they get him the football because you can't just hand it off to him on first and ten. Texas knows it's coming. Arizona State's top receiver is out like it. It's too obvious.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: The one thing Arizona State does well, actually they do it well and they do it in high volume. They are a screen team, very heavy screen. Twenty four percent of their passing players or screens. And that's something that I think can be different for Scatabo. Get him involved in the passing game. He's been very effective in that department this year. I actually like Sam Levitt season. He's had a great year the quarterback for Arizona State. He's top ten and qbo are Since Week six, he's got the tied for the most passing touchdowns in the country. But Arizona's offensive line, Arizona States offensive line, it just struggles to block. So is he gonna be able to stay upright? Is Skatabog gonna be able to get anything going in the ground game? I mean this Texas defense of the four units on the field. Hands down, the top four Taffy at safety goes from walk on to all American. You got the mccuba kid from Clemson who's like a heat seeking missile in the back and an upfront. Simmons is the impact freshman off the edge. I like Collins at defensive tackle. He's gonna eat up a ton of space. That's gonna be an interesting matchup. Can they move Collins at all in the middle and get scatabo you some space. The Clemson game against Texas last week was an anomaly that they were the first team all year to gain more than three hundred yards against the Sexas defense.
Speaker 2: Club Nick played the game of his life. It was a homecoming game.
Speaker 8: Clemson's got legit weapons on the outside, Like, I just don't know if Arizona State has that kind of fire power to go down to down against his Texas defense on the other side of the ball. That's where I see the volatility Kenny dilling long rest defensive mind.
Speaker 2: He's going to be aggressive in this game.
Speaker 8: But I don't know how Arizona State get stops on paper Texas o line. If you remove the two Georgia data points top five and pressure rate allowed this year and Arizona State doesn't get pressure, so I think yours is going to be kept upright. Isaiah Bond coming back from injury, their game breaking receiver, Golden's coming off his best game, Silas Bolden more defined role. I like Helm the tight end as well, So Sark's gonna have you the pick of the litter here. He always has an elite script. I think the game plan very difficult to key in on anyone, and the Arizona State defense is very undermanned. So if that Texas run game gets rolling and then they go play action off of it, like it just it feels like this one could get out of hand. And the sun Devils haven't faced the top thirty passing attack all year, so again, if if viewers has time to throw, I think this one might be a blowout early in the day.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we got to get to the granddaddy of them all, and if we're going to do the rose ball, we got to hear from Keith Jackson. Ordinately, it's my favorite j Stuart impression. Uh Charon Ohio, State of Oregon. Sorry that was only for my benefit. I just awesome. I love it. Uh All right, Buck, guys and ducks. We've talked on this program a lot about this game. I'll be there in attendance by myself, Yes, so by myself. Have a hundred thousand people there, Yeah, yeah, one hundred thousand of my best friends. What's uh? What is the Oregon side of things? Because we talked so much about Ohio State and what they didn't do. What about Oregon entering this game is kind of the other what underdog? But still the number one seed? Take a look wild duck side of things.
Speaker 2: Isn't it wild?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 8: And I think the average college football fan that really hasn't been involved in the you know, the discourse with the seedings and everything and and and they look at this game and they're like, yeah, okay, oh, I'll stated to an a point favorite of ORG. And that makes sense, right, Organ's undefeated, number one seed, like it just it is a very unique number to kind of digest.
Speaker 2: And that's why we haven't seen any movement. Like literally and.
Speaker 8: Actually, as I as I say this, now, we're seeing a little bit just a hair of steam on Ohio State. I saw one shot kind of now push their two and a half to like a two point seventy five, like we're getting closer to three. I think we do close three on Ohio State. I think Ohio State's the right side in this game, and I think it's.
Speaker 2: It's more so.
Speaker 8: I trust their coaching staff a little bit more to make the right adjustments. Now, the one thing that does scare me, like Chip Kelly shot has gone against Tennessee. They went very off script, they went tempo, they went pass happy early. That was their element of surprise. Dan Lanning still has an element of surprise.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: I don't know what that is going to be, but I do think there is going to be a moment in this game where Oregon grabs momentum and the question is can they finish the job?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know what this is. Oh it's tough to beat a team twice in the same season.
Speaker 8: Like, I don't necessarily buy into that kind of rhetoric because I think it's all about matchups, and I think the extended rest.
Speaker 2: For Oregon does that and played a game in nearly a month.
Speaker 8: So we'll see what Dan Lanning comes up with and we'll see if Chip Kelly can figure out a way to combat it. Because I think the the chess match in this game is the Ohio State offense against the Oregon defense.
Speaker 2: Now, when Oregon stepped.
Speaker 8: Up in class this year Boise State Week two, Ohio State earlier in the year, Penn State in the Big Ten title game, those three offenses averaged a fifty five percent success rate.
Speaker 2: So that to me is a little unique.
Speaker 8: Now if you go back and I watched the Ohio State tape from earlier this season, and Birch was down in that game Oregon's best defender and Ohio State at two starting offensive lineman up.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like a plus three minus three.
Speaker 8: You take three guys that didn't play, or you know, one guy for Oregon that didn't play, two guys that did, and he flip that in this game. I think that obviously, you know, gives a little bit more of an edge to Oregon. And the fact that they drove it to the two in the twenty six yard line and in the first game and didn't score and botched an extra point, I think that also, you know, gives you belief that Oregon can win this football game. But at the end of the day, I think Ohio State's defense probably played its worst game of the US I mean, they just played a ton of Cover one. They got burned by Tedes Johnson. I think you're gonna see more Cover two. I think you're gonna see a little more conservative game plan from Jim Knowles. You can't let Tes Johnson is the game breaker here. Like when Oregon's offense has struggled this year, it's because Seed Johnson hasn't been on the field, And I think that's the key matchup. Can Condenzel Berrick in this secondary for the buck guys, which got Torch absolutely Torch in the first matchup?
Speaker 2: Can they make the right.
Speaker 8: Adjustments and just don't give up the big play, Like make Dylan Gabriel, who's one of the most accurate quarterbacks in college football, just six turnover worthy plays all season, but four of them have been in the red zone. So if you make him go down to down, slow, methodical, and then you got to score all you know you're not just gonna get a big explosive play that's going to eliminate the red zone. Like I think the red zone defense is where Ohio State has the edge here because Oregon isn't as powerful with their running game, their offensive line, They're not gonna move you in space.
Speaker 2: They're better at creating creases.
Speaker 8: So I do think Ohio State's to play. I bet it now though, because I'll be honest as I talk. Now, more shops are going to three, so it does look like we're getting a little bit of steam on the Buckeyes.
Speaker 4: By the way, you said, it's all about matchups, and then you point out all the adjustments that have to be made, which is why it's so hard to beat a team twice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the same season.
Speaker 4: Jared Jared Smith, Fox Sports Radio betting analyst co host of Fox Sports Radios Countdown to Kickoff, which you can hear every Saturday, nine am to noon Eastern time live on Fox Sports Radio or on our iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Presented by Bett MGM. Jared good Luck today. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it done.
Speaker 4: I'm Doug Gottliebe's Dan Byer and for Dan and the dan Nettes. Come up next to The Dan Patrick Show. Going to a sporting event or a concert by yourself?
Speaker 5: How do we feel about that? We'll discuss next.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon Eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 4: Good morning to you, Happy New Year. It is twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah with Dan Byrom Doug Gottlieb. This is the Dan Patrick Show Fox Sports Radio. By the way, The Doug Gottlieb Show airs every day three to five Eastern on Fox Sports Radio and Fox Sports Trader dot com. You can also download it in podcast form and we have a special podcast only hour of the show, so three hours of content. Just type in Doug Gottlieb, Download, subscribe, rate, review, and I think you'll like it. It's me, Dan's Jay stew and actually usually Iowa Sam, who's here today as well. So this is basically our crew that you can hear every afternoon or just download it and listen to it in your output in your queue, and I think you'll enjoy it.
Speaker 5: I think you'll enjoy it. Do we get chaos today, Dan?
Speaker 3: I don't know the only way that we could is if I think Arizona State wins just because of the matchups the other two. I don't think anybody would be shocked. If Ohio State, the favorite, goes and beats top seed at Oregon, or if Notre Dame goes in and beats Georgia with a backup quarterback, I don't think that those things are shocking. A lot of nobody's really just saying a lot of great things about Arizona State. So I'd love to see if they could do something. Texas isn't perfect, and maybe there's a chance again in the quarter that we saw them, they look great and stillwater they did.
Speaker 4: But if you saw it, yes, if you if you saw anybody who went against Oklahoma.
Speaker 5: State looked pretty good this year far enough.
Speaker 4: Defense was was a bit of a struggle after the Arkansas game when they lost the three best defensive players and we weren't particularly good. So it is hard to tell obviously most of the Big Twelve. And look, it's always fun to root against Texas. Texas in many ways became the new age Notre Dame, right, But now Texas is legit good and their back, So the Big Twelve was still the One thing I will say, and this is from the from a Big Twelve alum, I love what Arizona State's done. I love what BYU's done. They are good. I mean, Kansas has turned around. Obviously, they were disappointing the start the year finished up a little bit better. Iowa State okay, but the fact that Iowa State and Arizona State and BYU are able to be and like, look at Colorado. Like Colorado was one of the worst teams in the Pac twelve last year. They changed some things and improved some offensive line stuff, but they became one of the elite teams in the Big Twelve this year. It tells you the level of competition. That's just the only thing you can say about it. I just the Big twelve does not have the money of the sec of the Big ten and does not have the schools in the reach. And I mean I think you know the one school that I think could get there. You know it is probably Texas Tech. They have a lot of that old money. Arizona State has the number of alums that you should be able to get there. And maybe this this will energize people, or watching today will energize people. But Texas has a couple of years head start on and their budget is at least two x that of Arizona State.
Speaker 5: I'd be surprised if this one, this one was close.
Speaker 4: And then I guess you answered asked the question, are we actually better off with this playoff than any of the traditional bowl system, the BCS Championship game or the four team playoff?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: And I know this is the infancy, and I think it will get better, but are we really better off with this?
Speaker 3: Yes? We are. We are may have gone too much, but it is better than the four team We now have eleven games that matter instead of three.
Speaker 4: We're also showing that there's a clear delineation between like eight or six and everybody else.
Speaker 3: I thought it always would have been six, but I'd rather have twelve than four.
Speaker 4: To be honest, I think six makes a ton of sense. Now four leagues and then you get two at large's. But we're not going back. No, there's no contraction. There's no contraction. Well for Dan Byer, for Iowa Sam, and of course for Jason Stewart. We appreciate you joining us here on New Year's Day. Enjoy the football and enjoy the festivities. I mean it will be a little bit of a throwback to how it used to be when we're kids. Where now the first of January becomes small college football.
Speaker 3: And Doug our thoughts to everyone in New Orleans for that tragedy that occurred earlier today.
Speaker 5: So it's great to get excited about sports, but that really just takes away from it.
Speaker 4: Happy to year, be safe, enjoy the football. This is Dan Patricks Show, always on Fox Sports Radio.