Speaker 1: Quality Dais, But Joseph's gotten more in my own arrogance. I think I've seen a thing or two along the way. But as soon as you do that in life's journey, I believe life has a funny way of humbling you. That's why I go back to the old adage, particularly as it applies to forensic science. Anyone that says that they have seen and done everything, or that they have all of the answers, well they're lying, because you never see everything and you never have all of the answers. Recently, I've returned from a trip to Europe, and as part of that trip, and as part of a fulfilling a demand on the part of my wife, Kimmy, who said that I need to do this, we visited the Catacomb Paris, and my lord, my lord, what an eye opener. I want to talk a little bit about that today and give you some of my thoughts and some of the insights into what I saw, felt and even smelled in that environment. I'm Joseph Scott Morgan and this is Bodybacks, Dave. I've gotten to a point in my life now where I am very keen to be careful where I step, using handrails, and I hate handrails. I'm not a germophobe, but Kim is always, you know, getting after me about using handrails when of going down. And the only thing I can think about touching handrails is the idea that somebody is out there that has not that's not as hygienic as I would prefer for them to have been, and they're kind of inoculating those surfaces with whatever it is that they have. It's kind of like going to a drive through again another disgusting, and somebody's got these really long fingernails and they hand your food out to you through the little window, and it's like, how exactly do you clean your hands and clean other parts of your body if you have these. So it's just one of these things that kind of translates into my mind because you know, I've seen the world microscopically. I think it as a forensic scientist, and it just you know, it's just those little things. But Dave, I got to tell you, this descent that we took, it was a you enter on the street of this place and you have to go. It adds a whole another level of creepiness. You descend down a spiral staircase that's cut into rock, and it's ancient, and I don't remember how many steps it was, but I think we descended roughly five to six stories beneath the surface.
Speaker 2: Okay, to be clear with everyone, we're actually talking about the catacombs of France, right under Paris. Yeah, okay, so under the city of Paris. They're for those of us who are not as worldly and educated as Joe and others. I pretty much get my history information from movies, you know, and I'm thinking Indiana Jones, the one with his dad, you know, Sean Connery and one by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh and.
Speaker 2: When you sent me information about these six million bones, I thought it was you know, this is like out of a movie. This is not something you would normally see. But then you took it a step further. And so today as we start talking about six million bones that are it's not a movie, it's not made up. It's an actual, real thing, and you actually went and saw it up close and personal. All I can say is why who thought of this and thought it was a good idea to take bones that we usually put in a cemetery or very reverent or they end up in a you know, depending on who you are, a coffee can ab of the you know, fireplace, and how much you cared about the person. But you know what I mean, we don't normally use bones of the dead as decorations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and these are not okay, just so you understand. There are catacombs all over the world. There's a huge concentration of them in Europe. There's one, I think I mentioned this to you. There's one famous one in Portugal where there's actually a chapel that's made out of bones, where they have a huge high altar and a chandelier and all these.
Speaker 2: Sorts of things all made from bones, all.
Speaker 1: Made from human bones. Yeah. And even you know, there are cultures that have and I've actually seen these before, that make eating and drinking vessels out of human bones. I knew one of the forensic pathologists that I used to work with had acquired a human skull that was inlaid with sterling silver. And when you take the what we call the calvarium, which is the skull cap itself, take it off, the interior of the skull was plated in sterling silver so it could be drink from. Essentially, there's other stories of people using human bones as cutlery or I don't know if cutlery is the right word, but using it as utensils for things. So, look, you got to do what you got to do. But the practicality of the Paris Paris Catacombs, it's by the time the catacombs were actually established, truly established, which was back in the seventeen hundreds, it was a necessity because the bodies in Paris. Paris had just exploded from a population standpoint, and of course, as all cities do, you have a concentric area and then it kind of expands out. Well. Paris, unlike other cities, they decided to bury their dead in the center of the city. If you go back to like you look in the Middle East, many times they would bury their dead outside the city walls. The occupants of France, because they weren't necessarily French at the time, began doing it within the walls. And the problem is this Paris sits on limestone, and so the Romans, even when they arrived, they began to quarry limestone from beneath what is now Paris, and over the years and the Parisians continued to do it. The French continue to do it because they're trying to create stone monuments. They're trying to actually create buildings out of stone. You have access to limestone, so as you imagine, if you take the limestone away, guess what happens. It becomes markedly unstable. So you've got these collapses that are happening. There was a cemetery in the center of town, and this is when King Louis the fifteenth was on throne. He's the son of the son King Louis the fourteenth who established Versai. He was a bit more practical than his dad because there was actually actually a house where people were living, and the wall of the house collapsed and collapsed under the weight of these burials that had taken place, these kind of just subsurface burials, and the people have been complaining about it for a while. And that the cemetery was actually called the Innocence and it was consecrated ground, it was on church property. And here's another thing. I teach this in my Clandestine Graves class at jack State. There's a difference between a graveyard and a cemetery, so they're two completely different things. So a cemetery is I think cemetery it comes from, if I'm not mistaken, the Greek, and it means like it's a public place of burial. That's what it comes down to. If you hear the term graveyard, graveyard is consecrated ground. It's like part of the church. And still today, you know, you can ride around the countryside here in Alabama where we live, and you'll see there's one that kind of gives Kim and I the creeps. A graveyard at the church goes all the way up to the front steps of the church. And you're sitting there and you're thinking, oh, my lord. So you're you're walking passes, and you know most of them are kind of to the side, but not in the case of this particular place. It goes right up to the front steps of the church, so you're walking past the dead. It's something I think that we've always done. I think church wanted to do it that way because in one sense, it's a reminder of how finite life is. You know, you've got the spiritual life and you've got the physical world that you live in. And and so anyway, the bones.
Speaker 2: Bones right up there to the entrance to a church, right you're getting there and walk in there to hear how fire and damnation and here you go and then bones of the Dead right.
Speaker 1: Here right, and so it's illustrative. It's really illustrative when you walk out, it's kind of like you go into you know, people see like you walk into like we went to Notre Dame while we were there to see these beautiful stained glass windows, and they're in all churches no matter where you go, it doesn't matter what denomination it is.
Speaker 2: Did they shod where the fire took place in?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you could see it. They were still working on the outside place and it was it was packed when we were there because it was it's one of the really high holy days of the Catholic Church. It was Ascension Day and it's the day that on the calendar that's marked when when Christ descended. So there was a huge line to get in and we didn't have any choice, you know, we had to go on that day because we once see what it looked like. And they still have cranes on the outside of it. There's armed troops everywhere, you know, patrolling the area. You know, it's I'm not going to say, you know tensions were high, but yeah, you kind of got that feeling because it's a high holy day, so you're thinking, hmm, you know, if somebody's going to do something, it could be today. Anyway, we came in without, without a scratch on us.
Speaker 2: When you're meeting in the thieves den talking about ways to terrorize the world. Okay, do you really want to go after a church?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know, I know. It's yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: What, Being on the bus to Hell is not enough. I want to be on the Can you put me between Charlie Mansin and Oj Simpson. I just want to sit right there between those two guys, right in front of Ted Bundy kind Scott Peterson, if you'll just put me there.
Speaker 1: What do I have to do? Oh?
Speaker 2: Burn Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, and you get that. But listen, it was one of the most peaceful, beautiful places that I've been in in some time. My mother is an organist, taught piano for I don't know, probably forty years and played organ and we got to hear that beautiful I'm sorry what you say I can play a church organ? Well, I know that you can. And it's when you see those huge pipes and you feel that, you know, kind of resonate through your skull. It rattles everything. But back to the idea of a graveyard being adjacent to a church, and I was talking about stained glass windows. You know, if you look at at the purpose of stained glass windows, most of them were created to tell Bible stories. You look at them and they're fascinating from that perspective. And you know, the flood, Crucifixion, I mean, anything you want. You want to talk about, the prodigal Sun, which is probably my favorite story in all of the Bible. And then you have the graveyard when you walk out of the church, and it's kind of like, here's the exclamation point, all right, this is the point to all of this. And back during the seventeen hundreds, they began to have these major problems in Paris because the bones had been stacking up and they were like popping up out of the ground. You know, you'd be walking along with your kids. Can you imagine you're going to go to the local baker or the fruit stand or whatever, and there's human remains just lying about. And of course back then they still have the specter of the plague that's hanging around. You've got fetid water that's everywhere, human waste, animal waste, and King Louis the fifteenth, the son of the son king, said okay, all right, this is enough. We're not going to do this anymore. The people are rising up, they're coming about this. This is a problem and we should be better than this. And they had had kind of an epiphantal moment I think, during that period of time about the health standards. Even though they wouldn't be the standers would not be healthy by our standers today, they had come a long way. And so he said, we're going to start taking all of these remains, Dave, and take them subterranean. We've got all of these kind of shafts that are beneath the surface, and we're gonna start putting them down there. And good lord, what an accumulation, because I got to tell you, brother Dave, I saw things down there I never would have imagined in my wildest dreams. We make it into the catacombs and we're you're not when you first enter the place. It's not like you're going directly into the oshuary and oshwary is kind of this fancy schmancy term for uh where bones are collected. You walk through these tunnels and the tunnels actually marry up with the streets above them, so you'll have like these stone markers in the wall that'll say you're on Rue. You know, you're beneath Rue, I don't know what whatever, you know, Rue Charles, that's directly above your head. And you have to take these twists and turns. And you know, my son Noah was, you know, he was with us, and he's a geographer, you know, that's what he's got his degree in GIS. And he was he was kind of, you know, leading us through this area and he was talking about these kind of you know how this would have had to have been plotted. For instance, if you're you know, you're running underneath ground and it there were various areas where there had been collapses over a period of time. Those were marked on the walls. And it takes you some time to actually make it through the twist and turns the little avenues down there before you actually get to the spot where there is this day, I can't tell you. It probably weighs I don't know. I'd have to say the thing weighs at least a ton, and it's a mantle over this opening and the door is kind of square, okay, and it's made out of stone and inscribed, inscribed, you know above above your head is a saying that actually that you know where you're about to step into the area where the bones are. And I'm not going to make any attempt to pronounce it in French, but it roughly translates into stop, this is the Empire of the dead. And it's you know, again going back to the idea that this is serious business, that they wanted everyone to understand, the let's see the nature of the environment they were about to inhabit, that this is not something to be taken lightly, that it's a place of respect, that it's a place that I think is maybe put up, you know, as a monument to human frailty, because you know all of these people. When you begin to kind of march down this little walkway and you're getting into the primary osuary, the first thing you see are just like a couple of skulls, right and they're stacked. That's what I remember the most.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to Okay, where do you enter? I mean, is there like a neon sign, is a line up here and go down?
Speaker 1: Or I mean there's yet so above ground there's there's actually a place where you go in. You have to Kimmy had bought us tickets way in advance. We were in the last group of the day and there were like eighty. The que was like a queue is a line over there. So the queue was like for two hundred. There were only eighty of us, and we were literally at the tail end. So we did that on purpose so we could take our time. Let me tell you something, brother, if if it was not for if it was not for the lights that the government had installed down there, you you could not see your hand in front of your face. And what's kind of fascinating is that there was actually a story of this one. He's kind of like a caretaker that was down there. In the seventeen hundreds, there's only been one death that has occurred in the catacombs, and it's this one guy. And let me tell I said, this is one guy who had died down in that area, and he had a torch of some kind, you know, some kind of lantern. Lantern goes out and he's fumbled around in the darkness for maybe days trying to find his way out, and his body, his decomposed body, which they the only way they could identify him. He had a specific marker, like a tag on what was left of his clothing. He was ten feet away from the staircase. Yeah, and he just he collapsed right there and died, died of starvation. There's no there's no outside light. And I've heard, you know, I've talked to friends of mine over the years that have worked in minds and those sorts of things which I could I could never do, I'd lose my mind. And they've talked about, you know, total darkness, and can you imagine you're walking along and you've got bones that are stacked to the ceiling. You're feeling your way along the walls, and you keep touching these things along the walls that the wall literally undulates, you know, with you know that kind of curved, curved feeling of a skull. Or maybe you've got long bones where you're actually running your hands along the terminal ends of say a femur, because all of these bones are stacked according to their anatomical orientation.
Speaker 2: They're not stacked as one body after another, just skeleton skeleton, skeleton. They're actually okay, we need all of the femurs right here, all of the skulls right here, all the fingers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the lesser. Let me just kind of break this down for you. I'm so excited to talk about this. I'm kind of disordered today. But it varied depended upon the age in time, because they started doing this back in the seventeen hundred stay it went all the way up through the end of the eighteen hundreds, where they're still stacking bones in this place. So depended upon you would have like stacks of skulls that would be like the foundation. And these these areas where these entumbements are, they're like carved out spaces in these limestone walls where mining had taken place previously, you know, where they're like knocking out chunks of limestone. They're bringing out big blocks of it. And again, like I said, the Romans were the first people to do this. So this is how old these you know, these this place is. And the Romans began to take these blocks out. And as time went by and other you know, and other civilizations rose, they saw the utility in here. But they would they would knock out these huge spaces in the wall. And what King Louis the fifteenth people started to do they would utilize these areas, these kind of carved out areas in the stone and make the bones fit. Now, there is no effort, and let me tell you this, there is no effort I don't think, at least in our modern sensibilities to try to keep bodies intact relative to their individual identity. All you have are human remains. And I saw, you know, female skulls, I saw male skulls. I saw the skulls of children, and you can you know, there's certain things that you look for in forensic anthropology, where you know, we do things based upon the size of the skull. Male skulls will be kind of robust, female skulls will be grassisle and fine. We've actually talked about that term before on body bags. And then you have, you know, of course, the more diminutive skulls of children, and they're harder to sex. You can't tell, you know, male from female many times, and so they create these foundations and it's kind of stratified, like you might have five rows of skulls. Then you're going to get to the femurs, which are very robust. They're the largest long bone in the body. It's your you know where you're from your hip to your knee, and those are stacked like cordwood, and you're looking down the long axis of these bones and they form another layer. Then you'll go to like tip FIBs, which are the smaller bones and the lower leg. Then you'll have the humorous h You'll have them stacked on top of that with you know, the smaller bones of the arm, and then everything else like the odd bones. This is what was really weird, the odd shaped bones like ribs, anything from the feet, the hands. They're kind of tucked on top of everything. So you have this big pile of commingled remains on top of them, and they can be from any number of bodies that are there. And it was the only marker that you have is every now and then you will see a stone marker that has been chiseled in and stuck, and it's like, okay, these remains came from this particular parish church and that's really all you'll see. But you're not going to say, you know, here lost fred. Okay, it's not set up that way.
Speaker 2: Okay, So when they're doing all of this, it's because I mean, it actually started because they had a problem to solve, yes, and did it. Do you think when they first started putting the bones in there that in the back of their head, hey man, we're going to open this up to the public so people can come down here in tour and see if they can find Uncle Fred and they'll come through. And I mean, I cannot imagine that this long play here was about selling tickets for people to wait in line, no, you know, to go see.
Speaker 1: But did they have tours? Know, they didn't. As a matter of fact, at the very end of it was monitored very closely. You have to understand it, like when they would do internments, priests would go down and bless this area and it was consecrated at that point time it was held and it was very reverential, so famously And okay, I gotta see this. Going back to my son he was talking about, Dad, you realize we're only going to see like just under a mile of this, right, he said, these catacombs go on for like two hundred miles all under Paris, this network. And look, there's not bones in the whole area, but there's these you know, these tunnels that run all over the place, and a lot of nefarious stuff has gone on in the other areas. You know, you've got graffiti, You've got actually people subterranean dwellers that will go down there and live in that space. Yeah, and during World War Two, the French resistance, this is how extensive it is. The French Resistance actually had they were headquartered in one space down there, and and you had the Nazis that were headquartered in one space down there as they occupied Paris, which blew my mind. That's how that's how intricate all of the stuff is. And if you don't know where you're going, man, it's you're you're a lost cause if you don't have a light and I would think that even if you do have a light source, it would be very difficult to kind of make your way through through this area without knowing where do I turn next. But the mazes is remarkable. You know, this underground you see when you go down there, it's very it should be treated very reverentially, you know, because this is a place of the dead. And there's a warning that you're given. They didn't put that sign up there for for no reason, and it says you're entering the realm of the dead. Now, you know, you go into this place, and what was kind of amazing to me is that there was no barrier between my hands and the bones, the skeletal remains. I could reach out and touch anything that's in there. And I have to tell you, you know, there were a few few spots along the way where I saw like cigarette butts that have been thumped in there. I saw candy wrappers, you know, the people had put in. I didn't see any writing that was on anything, but you know, I I did what did I do? I remember distinctly because me, I'm a tactile person. I want to touch things. That's kind of the investigator in me. I purposed to either keep my hands in my pockets or hold my hands behind my back and just lean in and try to look. And of course I took photos just to make sure that I didn't reach out and actually touch anything that was in there, because you know, that scientific being within me, you know, wants to. I want to. I want to see, you know what the texture of it's like, you know, kind of kind of how it sits. I'm just amazed that still to this day you can walk down there and there's not like a plexiglass wall. It's like if you go to the go to the alleged side of where Lee Harvey Oswell fired that weapon and the school book depository. You can see what they call the sniper's nest, but there is plexiglass in between you and that area. You're not going to get in there. These go back hundreds of years and in one estimation they believe that these probably have been buried in for at least a thousand years. So, you know me, Dave, my thing was, I knew that there were two people of in my American mind that I knew that were famous that were buried down there, and they were both part of the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution. These were like some of the leaders Robespierre, who was one of the big philosophers during the time of the Reign of Terror, and as a matter of fact, he got so out of sorts with this, you know, this congress that they had that they wound up sticking him on the guillotine and lopping his head off. Well, he's buried down there, and of course, you know me, I'm thinking, hmm, I wonder where his body is. I want to see if I want to see if there's any evidence on the base of the skull, and of course you can't find it. And then there's Marat, who there's a famous portrait if any of you guys have ever seen it, that he's a famous French philosopher during this period of time, and he had a horrible skin disorder and he would sit in his bathtub all the time. He had a writing a writing board that was placed across the bathroom, and it's a famous portrait of him laying in there with his arm extended out, and he's dead in that image. And what had happened. There was a young girl that had come in to bring information to him, kind of like a spy network thing, and she talks to him about fifteen minutes. Murrat's wife had let him in to let her into this area, and at the end she reaches into her boussier and pulls out a dagger and drives it into his a order and kills him right there. So you know, for me, I think that one of the things I was looking at was not so much the morphology of the skulls and the bones himself. I'm trying to spot any kind of trauma that I can down there to say, you know, because you've got you've got things that have happened that people die, you'll have grave collapses and that damage of skeletons. But you know, I'm kind of, you know, looking and I don't have enough time. That's the downside of it. I'm going through there and I'm looking in to see if I see any kind of trauma all day, all.
Speaker 2: Right, But what can you see? Because I'm going to assume that the area that's open for the public to go look in is a lot different than the area that they would keep you out of. Like there is nearly two hundred miles of tunnels and you're only allowed to see a very very small portion of that. So I guess I thought that bones would have that they would have disintegrated by now. I mean, just is it because they're very so deep. I mean we are talking what two hundred feet below?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would, Yeah, it would, I don't know take what yeah, give or take. And of course the elevation is going to vary, the depths will bury because the ground actually undulates. You can feel yourself walking downward, and you can feel yourself kind of egressing upward at any number of times. And that was what I was thinking too. I'm thinking, Holy smokes, what do they have to sing reinforced with right? You know, because I can tell you if there's like a weight collapse in their bones, are not going to provide any kind I mean, it'll just turn them to dust at that point of time. But and like you, I was amazed at the resiliency of the moon. And of course here's another thing. In some instances I saw teeth, and the teeth are just beautiful, pearly white. You know, teeth are so resilient, you know, compared to skeletal remain you know, they'll hang around for a long long time, whereas you know, but you know where what I guess in some instant, well, there's one area that claimed that barrels have been taken place in perhaps for a thousand years, and that actually kind of pre dates the French as we know them. It's like during the Frankish Kingdom. But you know, to say that that those bones are there among that, I can't imagine, because this looks like the repatriation area. Like when when the church's graveyards, not cemeteries, but graveyards began to collapse, they felt that we wanted to keep all of the individuals. Just imagine if you you know, you've got the First Methodist Church and Calvary Baptist Church and Saint Luke Lutheran Church. You've got they have a designated area where they would evacuate their dead to or remove the bodies to in those cases. Actually, yeah, yeah, it kind of does. And so anything that would have happened before then is not necessarily in an area you're going to have access to. And it's dangerous, man, I mean you, let's face it. You know, if you have some kids that gets down in these areas, it you know, tragedy is going to ensue. And there's always there are always those curiosity seekers you know, that are down there that you're thinking, well what can I find? You know, if I'm down here, can I steal something and take it away? Or am I going to commune with the other world while I'm down here? Uh? And so you've got all of all of these kinds of things that are going on. Or maybe somebody's playing a prank on somebody and they just walk somebody down there and abandon them down there. Can you mention how horrible that would be? Well, yeah, you were.
Speaker 2: Talking about the guy that was found near the stairs. Right back in the day we have caverns. There's this cavern in Alabama. It was called Desetto Caverns, and it was used for a long time for different things and they've renamed it now. But there's a part of when you go on the tour where they actually cut the lighting, you know, the artificial lights, and you're actually inside the cave and it is complete darkness where you're sitting there and you cannot see your hand directly in front of your face, you know, right there, you're touching your nose. You can't see it. It's that dark. And that's what I'm thinking. It's one thing to be confused as to where you are because everything looks the same. It's bones, bones, and more bones, but another to add in the idea of darkness and that you cannot find your way. You can't get acclimated of this. You're not seeing anything, and even with your eyes open and artificial lighting, you can be lost. I just can't imagine the sick feeling this would be to an individual.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, there's no way you can bathe it with artificial lighting, you know where because even these and again they do it for atmosphere. They've got these kind of amber amber looking lights that are down there, and I think part of it has to do with Preserva the bone. I think that and someone smarter than I could come up with this. But you don't want like harsh intense light on these things for any period of time. And even those but even those little amber lights, you can't see to the rear all the way to the rear of these oshwaries that are these individual ashwaries that are there. I did come across something kind of interesting while I was down there, though. There was a and I think that they had probably done this on purpose. There was actually a skull that I found that I observed and I was just walking by it and I noticed something. Because it's supposed it's the skull is turned so that you have the posterior review. You can't see the face at all. There's no way. I tried to get an angle on it so that I could try to see the orbits, the eye sockets all that I couldn't There's no way I could do it. But I could fully appreciate, like the left parietal, which is the large bony complex behind your ear and up and the right prodetal and then the occipital, which is where the you know, your big occiput or the big knot on the back of your head is. And Dave, on the left side of this thing, there is a defect that measured probably let's see, probably in the horizontal plane it was about maybe three inches wide, and in the vertical plane it may have been about four. And Dude, I'm looking at this thing, and I'm thinking, is this as a result of the of the skull like falling apart? Is it you know, some kind of grave trauma, you know, where something has like collapsed on it. It wasn't. It wasn't. This looked to me, all right, as if this was the result of an exit one from a gunfire. And I'm sitting I'm staring at this, and I'm thinking, I can't believe I'm seeing this. And one of the ways that on bone in particular, if you're trying to assess like firem's trauma to a human skull, is that you'll have what's referred to with the exit wound, You'll have what's referred to as external beveling, which means that as a bullet let's, say, a bullet comes in through somebody's forehead and a bullet is exiting out that bone is blown out, okay, And as it is blown out, it leaves an appreciable curved area that is referred to as external beveling, which gives you direction of the projectile that's passing through the head. If it was internal beveling, that's the entrance. So you wouldn't see the beveled area because it's inside the skull. This is outside of the skull. The only thing that can generate that is some type of projectile perhaps passing through the head. And again you start to think about, well, would any of these bodies have been subject to gunfire? It's like, hell yeah, because a lot of these people that were buried down there were buried down there during the French Revolution, and there was a lot of gunplay during the French Revolution, you know, the you know, French citizens killing French citizens, and so, you know, it really gave me pause, and it gave me pause from the perspective of though that person was long gone and inhabited the space where I was just kind of a guest. I guess you could say for that period of time, not much has changed. There's a level of violence that we think that we know in modern America and around the world. But just like death, evil has always existed. I'm Joseph Scott Morgan and this is BODYB.