Speaker 1: And now it's time for what you say a man day. I'm like watching man like yayay, I.
Speaker 2: Just really went somewhere. I went, I really went somewhere. I was like the real I just want to be your hype woman back up day.
Speaker 1: You can't do everything, so you'll know. Every week we have a Branda Chion question and answer you have questions. We have some answers that are to be taken with a grain of salt because we know your financial advisor, your attorney, your doctor, just two super cute brown girls who have opinions that you should run past the people that you pay. Okay, okay. If you have questions sliding our DMS on I G Brand a Vision podcast, you can send us an email Brand and Pision Podcast at gmail dot com or or contact us at brianabischenpodcast dot com. This week we're gonna do a career question chiw So, Mandy, you know you ready?
Speaker 2: Mandra, the seat is hot and I am in it. Let's go. What do we got?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna read it. Let's fee. Okay, this is from TJ. They didn't say we can't use her name, So hey, Mandy and Tiffany. I recently built up the courage to ask a pretty big marketing exec for a coffee chat. To my delight, she agreed. I was planning on using the time to pick her brain plus talk about myself in hopes that she'll remember me should any opportunities open up. One of my colleagues just let me know that set exec is actually looking to hire someone on her team right now. Wow, we love that serendipity. Now I'm racking my brain for ways to try to figure out if I should be direct and say I would love to throw my hat in the ring, or if I should be more subtle and just hope that she leaves the conversation wanted to hire me. Please Hell thanks ladies, and keep killing it on the show warmly. Tj oh, TJ that's mynayj oh, tj. That's money. J that's like a song. Anyway, go ahead, babies.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm here for it. Tj oh. This is well. First of all, I love that you went for it and asked them out for a coffee chat. And that is where opportunity. That's sort of like making your own luck. It's like we're opportunity and luck meet. You didn't know that she was hiring. That's not what motivated you to reach out, but the fact that you know, like a bit of information, I would just be even more excited to go on the coffee chat. I think that you're concerned about seeing I think this is like one of those examples, like we talked about before, Tiffany, of like being opportunistic and having that feel like a negative thing, like is it two. She uses the word subtle here, but I get what she's saying. She's like, I don't want to seem like I'm only chatting with her because I want to work on her team. I think that you would be I think if this were a friend of yours, you would tell them to go for it. But because it's you, you're like being a bit more self conscious about it. So that's cool, Like that's our job is to be your bestie and tell you when you should get over yourself. And I think TJ is time to get over y'all now now, Like Tiff, I mean, in my perspective, from my perspective, what I would say is, don't show up and say, oh my god, so and so just told me you're looking to hire, Like I'm perfect. I think you can you open the conversation just completely naturally as you would, you know, talking about what you do, talk asking what she does. At the end of the day, I think it will naturally come up in the conversation and you could say, oh, well, I mean, I know, I didn't plan to make this like an conversation about this open opportunity, but now that you mentioned it, like, I would love if you could consider me and you think I could be a good fit because I feel like, based on what you've said, I bring XYZ to the table. The other thing that could happen is like what if you're sitting there for half an hour and she doesn't bring it up, you know, so then it's like, oh, should I say something? Should I say something? And the way that I would the way that I would approach that is if you're like three quarters of the way through this meeting and it hasn't come up, I would say, hey, can I can I run something by you? Like so and so just mentioned in passing that maybe you're looking for this position. I don't know if that's true or not, but I just wanted to see if you have any plans to expand your team because I, based on this conversation. I feel like it would be great to work together. And you know, I'd love if you could tell me more and then give them a chance to tell you about it. That to me is like a good mix of confidence and being casual. You know, like you don't want to seem too thirsty. You want to make it seem casual, and then you're also showing your confidence by keeping it cool and just sort of bringing it up like sort of casually like hey, so, so and so said this is that true girl.
Speaker 1: And I said this. I love that fact that Mandy that you said like three quarters of the way in because you don't want to come in like, hey girl, how did you just hiring a key shirt? Anyway? So hire me. I'm a fit because the thing is you wanting that you illustrate your Oprah ahead of time, remember we talking about that, like, which is like everybody would you know if Oprah said I'm gonna open up my rolodex, you know, if you come up with fifty dollars and twenty four hours and I will share you with all of my contacts, we would find the money because we know that there's intrinsic value in her and having access to who she has access to. So one, you want to use the first part of your conversation to illustrate your oprah. So one, obviously you want to ask questions about them. Then you want to share about yourself, but sharing about yourself in a way that shows your value, your intrinsic value. You know, Yeah, I worked on this and I did that, and you know, I was really excited about this and that was challenging, but I figured it out, you know. And then to Mandy's point, if they don't bring up the position, you can bring it up. Because for me, if someone people ask me for coffee dates and lunch dates and walk dates and blah blah bah all the time, and you know, if I'm available, Like one of my mentors just asked me, I say yeah, And so I like that she asked me questions about what I have going on. I love hearing what they have going on. And sometimes there is a connection. This just happened where someone reached out to me. My sister Lisa was working with this young woman and she knew I was looking for a new EA and she's like, oh, I told her to reach out to you. And in the last component of it, I met her, she would seemed really nice. The last component she shares that one of her additional skills is she's really good at editing video and stuff. And I was like, I don't think she'd be good for EE because she's really young. She had not really done it, but I was a girl, send me some clips and some videos you've done, and so now I think I might hire her. But do you see what I mean? Like to Mandy's point that little slip in, I'm like, maybe not that. Yeah, girl, this over here, and she sent me her clips. They look great, And honestly, I think we might hire her to do some videos for us. And that wouldn't have happened if she didn't give us additional information and background on what she's capable of doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And I mean it's also good to go into an interview or like not an interview, but a casual conversation, just open minded, Like even if she's talking about this role and you realize as she's speaking about it that you're not the exact right fit, you could then be generous and say, man, that's really interesting. I know so and so, and I feel like they have that skill set they could be really good and don't look at it as like talking yourself out of a position, because okay, what's for you can't miss you, right, And if you're going to put yourself out there for a job, you want it to be one that you'd actually excel in, not just be taken whatever comes across your desk. Right. So yeah, if you can even just like think of a way to help them or like have an idea that you can share with whatever challenges she's facing or whatever, you know, whatever projects are going on, right, then anything that you can bring a value is going to stick in her mind. And even if you leave the conversation without like a full on hey you should apply for this role, you can just you know, the goal for you, I think would be to have her walk away having a positive experience with you, remembering that you are someone who wants to contribute and has ideas. And I don't think that she will soon forget that. So if it's not that opportunity that opens up, another one could be opening up down the line that she could come back to you for.
Speaker 1: Girl said, we wish you, we wish you, we love that you are, like, we wish you well. Oh oh, I wish you. No, it said, I wish you look, I wish you what's that Dead Jackson song? I wish you love? Oh uh, I miss you not not our producer have to come in and gather me together. Anyway, We don't miss you because we don't know you. But we're gonna change it too. We wish you well. Oh oh, we wish you. I love the fact that you are go get her. Yeah you were like, yo, I'm going to ask for this lunch. That to me, that's indicative. I would be really impressed because a lot of people just don't even do that. That's indicative like of like, wow, this is so one who even if this is not a fit, I want to work with somebody who has that kind of like I'm going to go for a thing that I'm wanting. So you know, TJ. That's my DJ. We love that for you and continue to do that because relationship building is a number one tool that you need to learn how to develop if you are going to, at least in the workforce, like reach any level of success. Like I think about it all the time whenever I'm needing a thing, even in business. I can't tell you how many times I have to make a phone call and I'm like, oh my, oh my gosh, that's my friend Sandy, but I met her ten years ago, or that's Mandy. I know Mandy for the last you know, ten years. That's and so building those relationships oftentimes it's years in the making and then there's some sort of synergy and then you're not reaching out in a way that feels predatory, because it's like, no, I've been building this relationship for years. We genuinely, you know, like like and care about each other, and now there's some synergy here where I can help them or they can help me, and so people love that. So continue to act. We build relationships with the knowledge that it might take years to mature before there's any sort of professional synergy, if any at all. Just building for building's sake is always really good. I love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you TJ for your question, ba Fam. If you want to submit your question, go to Brand Ambition Podcast on ig and slide into our DMS or hit us up Brand Ambision Podcast at gmail dot com dot com, or on our website.
Speaker 1: Leave us a review with job yeah, thank you. Do we have any new reviews that we can read? So the girl and see that. You know, we appreciate reviews.
Speaker 2: Let's throw it back we have. We just read another review. I don't know what's going to air, but yeah, we've got some really cute love recent reviews. Chris Kisses two thousand calls us down to earth, relatable, and informative all in one.
Speaker 1: Did she say cute?
Speaker 2: She let me see cute is not one of the words, but she does call us a a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 1: I'll take it.
Speaker 2: That sounds cute, sharing real life experiences. Still, she says we're blazing with informative and educational info that holds their attention. I love that. And then we have read a check who says I feel at home with this podcast. I learn loads of information in an authentic way, and I find their episode so precious and uplifting. I'm in a career transition, transition, a career transition, and really need this these episodes. Thank you again.
Speaker 1: I love Yeah. Come on, keep us leaving us reviews wherever you listen, especially do you listen on Apple podcasts because it allows us to be seen her and shared, and that's how we grow and continue to be able to develop and and you know, just be better for y'all.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you do it like this, Tiffany? Or do you do the news millennial?
Speaker 1: I don't do it. I don't even know what that is. I don't even know. I don't even do this heart.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do a heart.
Speaker 1: I feel like I would be more likely to do this, I guess or this maybe.
Speaker 2: Well, now you're just supposed to do half the heart, and then can we do it here?
Speaker 1: Try to match my way on the side half? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yea yeah, wait here we go, come over here.
Speaker 1: My heart doesn't look what does.
Speaker 2: Your hand look like that for?
Speaker 1: Maybe that can do that? My hands, I don't know how to do it. No one taught me. I'm not as learning. That's gonna be the clip.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm sorry to your hand. It's just your sorry to that hand.
Speaker 1: I don't know that hand.
Speaker 2: I don't know that hand.
Speaker 1: Anyway. We're going to see you on Monday for our throwback and yeah, we just wish you well.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,