Speaker 1: Hey, Hello, Hello, Hello. How's it going. We are winding down summer.
Speaker 2: And you know, I see a lot on social media Barbie about like summertime sadness, and I was going to ask you how summertime affects dating Like I would think, on one hand, it's very social and people are meeting people, But on the other hand, people are away and it's like finding a job. It's probably not the best time to enter the dating market. What do you say about that.
Speaker 3: There's never a wrong season. I think there's always an excuse to make it seem like something's not the right time to enter, But I think for every season there's actually like an upside. So the fact that everyone has been traveling over the summer, I think it's great time to meet people because usually people are a little bit more wanting to find someone before things in some markets where it's winter and it's like coffing season, so I think it's a great time to prioritize your love life and to embrace or it gets cold to meet someone. You think about all the celebrations that happen in fourth quarter where you start taking stock of, Okay, another year, what do I have to show for in my personal life. I think it's a great time to leverage fall.
Speaker 1: Like holidays are coming up.
Speaker 3: And New Year's Yeah, and like sometimes it could be a lot of pressure, but I also look at it like take the pressure off yourself and just enjoy. But like anything else that you have to prioritize, whether it's a doctor's appointment and self care, you have to prioritize your love life. So don't use excuses like, oh, everyone's traveling, everybody's busy. Look at its like, no everyone you know people that are ready for love. Doesn't matter what the season is. Embrace that it's fall and it's still beautiful and mean, I know where I live, like September if the fall is like the most is a beautiful time of year.
Speaker 2: So don't make excuses saying you're not going to deal with it until no. Okay, yeah, So how does someone balance wanting to be proactive and being patient, trusting the process, but also wanting to be in the process. How does someone find that balance?
Speaker 3: I think once you've taken a temperature read and realize, Okay, I want to be a wee, I want to find my person. I have worked on myself. I'm in a good place I'm in the best place I've been, and you practice things that are going to help you, like figuring out and taking an audit of what do I need to do to find love? Is that I need to carve out time? Do I need to heal my heart? Is it just carving out like where I'm meeting this person and changing like what my strategy is. But I also think that patience is one of the most important ingredients in finding love. I think like logically, we know that take takes time to bake a custom dress, a custom couch, you order a car you want, it takes time for it to arrive. But when it comes to your love life, you want it. And that's where people make a big mistake that's super costly because it could have lots of setbacks of them realizing that they're going to settle. And I truly believe that settling is the quickest way to have a disaster on your hands and having divorce attorney in your phone. So the kindest thing you could do yourself is during your dating era to love every minute and give yourself the gift of inner peace. So I like to use analogy in the financial market, and it's called patient capital. So in order to have long term gains in equity market, sometimes it requires being patient because when there's a down market, you can't get hysterical and pull your money and opt out of something. You have to say, Okay, I've been here before, this is not my first rodeo. I know that whether it's a period of time, a couple months or a couple of years, that it's going to correct itself. And then the ones that have the patience and aren't hysterical are the ones that gain same thing with your love life, the ones that realize they're dating some equality, so they know they're worth they know they're dating some equality. There's no rush. You have to realize that good things will come when you pack some patience, and you will win with that attitude. Sometimes we are there's so much noise in our lives that we are quick to boot someone off our island. And so in some ways it's good because the safeguards your time. If you just get the ick and you realize this is it my person, but if it's a good, high quality person, just enjoy your life and have confidence in yourself and realize that patience is going to be your The secret ingredients to help you find the right person.
Speaker 2: It's funny that you bring that up, because I think people have to learn the line between the dick and something that may just turn you off. So there could be an ick where you're just like actually, ugh, you know, and it might happen a couple of times and you gaslight yourself because you know that the person's good on paper, and so then you try to like justify it. I've done this so many times. Yeah, and then you really finally get the final blow of the ick. And I think at any point with the ick, you don't really have to be that. I don't mean don't be compassion if you think the person's nice, but I mean you got to get yourself the hell out of there, because that's how you get in the wrong car. But I think to your point, there are people that maybe aren't acting in the way you would like them to be acting, and that's different. Like you said, there could be an illness in the family you don't know about. They could be going through a terrible time. It works, they could be sick, and they're not going to tell you. Get you too early. So I think that that's a good delineation to make and how does someone deal with the patience of Part B. Like, let's say someone's texting back and forth, or the communication style is not great, or someone's not calling the way they want, or whatever the thing is, someone sends too many pictures of their kids or gets too comfortable right away. How do you deal with someone not having a communication style that you're comfortable with.
Speaker 3: You have to differentiate between a different communications style that you're not comfortable with versus one that's healthy and unhealthy, because you might have been exposed not you, but one it might be exposed to an unhealthy way of communicating that you feel safe with. But really it's not a healthy communications style. I really wish I always joke, but that No, we don't come with owners manuals, right, So there is no roadmap and two people's connection until you actually start communicating. It's there could be so many misfires or miscommunications or connecting the dots and accurately about someone. We're not mind readers. So part of it's going to be at some point to invest in this person if you think they're high quality, because they don't know your style what you need and say, hey, just so you know I need this from you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Let's say you met someone and things were going well, You went on three or four dates and you slept with them. You thought it was great, you just really connected. And then I don't want to say that. I don't know what ghosting technically means. But let's say that they disappear for two days. Like you thought you were on a good clip. You're in your head, You're thinking you said something, you did something, you wore something. What are you are you supposed to because I've heard match their energy, So are you supposed to, like now go dark also for two days?
Speaker 1: Take the hint? Are you supposed to lean in? Lean out? What are people supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Because I think girls get very reactionary and spiteful.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's where sometimes our beautiful brains take over and we overthink and we ca tastrifized. So I think one act right, love not fear, and so intuitive thoughts are like calming and they're rooted in reality. Too often we start believing the negation of chatter in our own minds that we manufacture, or our friends are telling us the cynics like forget him, You're better than that, And it's like, no, what if he's just like in the middle of closing a deal, or he has COVID or something happened. It's like, just breathe and realize in time you're going to get the answer. But silent the cynic in yourself and others and realize that invasive thoughts, you know, create the drama, but intuitive thoughts solve the problem.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great like name for a chapter. Don't catastrophize, but I think I don't think that's the time to lean in. I think the matching energy rule is good there. I do think it really is situational. But I do think not to catastrophize, not to blame and put all of your thoughts and theories and I pat this right on them, because then you're manufacturing drama and it could be nothing there. Now, if through his actions, his words and actions don't match, then you have someone that probably isn't that's a bad and not good for you. So you think someone could be a bad actor that like they're with you and they're making you feel like it's great because maybe they want to get late or maybe that's just why not do that because they could suck another girl in and then they just turn the switch off because they were acting that happens you're saying a lot.
Speaker 3: Or they could have an unhealthy a coupling ability, Like it's just it's this dysfunction on them where they love it in the beginning, and then when things get serious and meaningful, they don't have the coping skills or the healthy relationship coupling abilities. So that's why as we blame ourselves, that's something we must have done. We don't look pretty enough, or something I said or and kind of have nothing to do with us. And that's why I truly believe whenever you can give someone the benefit of the doubt, but pay attention to date through the seasons. This is where I'm like, he's not a rush, it's not a panic. And you always want to match our someone's words and actions aligned and always ask yourself are my actions and words aligned? Because it's so easy to always have these expectations for somebody else, but you also have to take ownership of are your actions in words aligning? Being a matchmaker and focusing on love. I feel like it's so great for my marriage because I check myself on what I do confessionally and giving people advice of realizing you want to be the best person to your partner as well, and sometimes that's listening. It's like that skill that people you know that is lost, right, It's like the little things of just making sure that you're treating someone how you want to be treated as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, so where are you on this textual relationship these pen pals, like how does a person stop it down? Because you don't want to seem too ornery and being like I'd rather not text, let's call, or like that's so, where do you stand on when you're kind of in a textual relationship with someone until you see them? What about the text? What about the phone? What about the FaceTime? What about the meeting?
Speaker 3: It's so confusing, right, Like there's so much much and everyone's different. I also think a lot of men that don't want to text throughout the day, and then someone could be offended like, oh my gosh, he's such a bad texture. But what if it's not his style and like he's in his career and he's he's not on the man own right, he's doing other things and it's not his So you have to realize what matters most is how he treats you in person and in the relationship. But he might not be a text or he might be a phone person. Get that fulfilled through your girlfriends or someone that enjoys that type of style. But sometimes people are like their rep peeve is like someone that's texting throughout the day and they're each line is they're hitting you know, send, and it's just it could be a lot, So just be mindful.
Speaker 2: So here's the problem. Here's here's cause you're not dating anymore. And I know you see it all the time, but like it feels different when it's actually you. So here's what happens. Someone text you I had a great time. You text them back. Then you're thinking about, oh, they only hearted my text. Then you think someone's like, well you should respond with something, don't just smiley face their thing. And then you give a response, and then if they don't respond back to you, and I'm like, I don't want to be in this at all. I don't want to be in a pen pal relationship. But then you're sort of being punitive because you're not responding, and you're kind of like, I don't like I think it's a toxic dynamic. I despise it, but it's a necessary evil. Yeah, I do think it's a necessary evil. I think less is more. I think don't write paragraphs at some point you.
Speaker 3: It's always that the dynamic of like who's going to get the last word and how is it going to end? So I do think a heart or ah or something isn't nice. But if you want to say something and say nothing, just be like cute, smiley face or something playful but so short that it's just quick. It's not a whole novel and it's not reopening the conversation with questions and talking. I think real conversation should happen in person, by phone, anything but a text or an email, okay, but playful, cute, flirty, like I think technology could be an asset if you use it not to replace real conversations in person or on the phone. And I think less is more, And I think it's okay to let somebody have the last word and not have to feel like it's novels and be a little bit of a mystery and leave them wanting a little bit more. Not game playing, but just no.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, Okay, So don't catastrophize and do not text in paragraphs. Text cute, sweet, hope you're having a nice day. This is what text is for. Hope, you're having a nice day, thinking of you. I'll see you at the bar.
Speaker 3: Six is good, like hey, hands like a little ego stroke is good. Men like to feel like a hero, not a zero. So they do need a little reinforcement like okay, she's into me. As long as it's authentic and from the heart, I'm all for it. But playful, not sterile like business corporate, you know, boring. But also don't be something you're not, like if you're not an emoji person, then don't use it.
Speaker 2: No, but you're right about the share. People shouldn't be having discussions over text. That's a great note that everybody breaks that rule and everybody should stop that.
Speaker 3: But one thing that I think is cute, whether it's playful, whether you're in a relationship and you leave a post it for someone to see when they're the next day at work or in a drawer, or you're on a date you text in the bathroom like I'm on the hot date with the hottest guy, like wow, like playful, and then they get in the phone like waiting for you're like, oh my gosh, she's into me. Just something cute. If you feel like it's that's good. Do like use technology as a way to flirt.
Speaker 1: That's a great note.
Speaker 2: So you're not using it to share about your life, but using it to flirt.
Speaker 1: It's a tool.
Speaker 3: And the other thing is when you go on a date with someone that just treated you to a wonderful experience, dinner, whatever it might be. Sometimes women will stand on like the principle I'm not reaching out to him, he needs totally the next day, and then the man's thinking, I just like wind and dined r. I put a lot of effort into the night. It would be so nice to get it and text that night being like home safe, hit a really enjoyable night, thanks for everything. It doesn't make you look desperate. It makes you look like you're like class act and that you were your appreciative.
Speaker 1: Yes, but let's make a rule for that. Not the next day.
Speaker 2: That night, that night you're in the cab, thank you so much, I had a great time.
Speaker 1: It still counts as that day on the diet like.
Speaker 3: To be it's better to be that night because, like you said, then if you want to be more traditional he reaches out next. But to thank someone I think is totally such a breath of fresh air to men that they'll be like, oh my gosh, she thanked me, Like that's so thoughtful. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if you did it so you don't feel insecure, thank you for dinner. It was really nice. So it's like you're be doing the right thing. Yeah, that's a great note.
Speaker 3: And for men, for men listening, I think it's such a class act to say I want to make sure you get home safely. Please text me when you get home. It's so nice. It shows that you're car Oh, totally so nice. Whether they totally pay for your uber, wait for your uber to come, or give you the car service, whatever level it is, it's just a class act to wait for someone to uber arrive and go, do me favor, text me when you're home.
Speaker 2: So number one for the boys is say did you get home? Say for texting when you get home. I like that, it's just nice.
Speaker 3: Also, don't leave, don't with your uber rives first, don't take your uber. Either give someone your uber or wait until their uber comes.
Speaker 2: Somebody texted me like we were supposed to speak, but then they they said something like, oh, they got caught up. But then there was like a little button which was like sleep. Well, something simple like a little button goes such a long way. It's nothing, but it's everything. It's everything.
Speaker 3: It shows you're considerate, it shows you're a good communicator, it shows you're plugged in and engaged and thoughtful. It's it is everything.
Speaker 2: So the takeaway is that text is a tool to be used for flirtation, for information, for cute checking in, and just connectivity, but it's not it's the cock between the tiles.
Speaker 1: It's not the tiles.
Speaker 3: Yes, it could strengthen the relationship, but don't use it to ask the questions and to be insecure and to write novels. Say that for your girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love that. That's like a big one. Okay, great. So we talked about sex, but sort of in a black and white way. Now I want to talk about I don't think that women's emotions not I don't think I'm positive that women's emotions are not caught up with their bodies, especially if they've been sex starved, or they want to get some, or they're attracted, or they're drinking.
Speaker 1: Alcohol can be the worst for the situation.
Speaker 2: So how do we we let women know and women who are going to let their daughters know, like when they're going off to college and you know in these high school ages that they're not emotionally necessarily prepared to where their body may want them to be. And I'm not targeting this to college kids. I'm just saying it made me think of something that's great to intellectually explain to a young person, because I think that as adults we even get in that point where like, you want it, but are you going to be okay with the next day?
Speaker 1: Forgot it? But they didn't call.
Speaker 3: You before we get to sex. One thing that leads up to that that plays in a role is knowing your limit of alcohol and food. I feel like both of those play a role in making decisions. I would say when you're new to dating, sometimes you don't even know that, Like you want to eat on a date so you don't look like you're not interested or you're that girl that doesn't eat, but you also want to make sure that you have a little food and hydrate before so that when at the restaurant they keep pouring the wine.
Speaker 2: That's the problem, the topping off, and I always feel like a bitch when I'm like, Hi, can you just I'm like, can you not fill my glass up? Because I'm on a date now and I don't know what I'm saying and I'm literally like on reality TV where I've just said something that's already out there and I don't know what it was because you topped off my glass.
Speaker 3: No, I always just go like, thank you, I'm good, and then wait till you know your limit.
Speaker 2: Wait to read the same thing, wait till we I want to do a whole podcast on topic of wait till the till the glass is empty. I don't want the glass to be half full. I want the glass to be fully empty.
Speaker 3: No, because what happens is you're if you're excited and you're drinking and you don't even know, then it can lead to poor decisions. Whatever that might be. It could be what comes out of your mouth verbally, non totally everything. But when it comes to sex, so one I would say, I always say.
Speaker 2: But the or even intimacy other than sex, something that's personal, your body's touching or whatever, oral sex.
Speaker 3: By the time you get to be like, you know, early twenties, you should know your limited on alcohol, what you need in your body, all of those things. But it happens when people go through divorces and start dating again, no matter what era it is, and realize that they just have to re understand what their limit is before they don't feel like they're making.
Speaker 1: Oh women mind, just don't know their limits.
Speaker 3: Well, that's you're excited. They get excited, and so you have to relearn it. You have to relearn it in you know, high school, college, post college, and then again in our forties fifties, we just you need to reassess what that means.
Speaker 2: So that's a great point because in your twenties you do know your tolerance. Sometimes you do get sick and you go too far, but you kind of know your tolerance as you're older. Even alcohol, as it pertains to health issues, your body doesn't metabolize it.
Speaker 1: You have a different tolerance in metabolism.
Speaker 3: Differently. You also in college you're drinking more, so you have a higher level. You're also drinking different kinds of drinks, and it's just different. And it could be part of a recipe for disaster of someone not wanting to see you again because the decisions that were, the actions that you display that night. But now, in terms of sex, I would say teaching women's lesson that you are the main character in your life. It's not you're waiting to be chosen. You're doing the choosing and you're part of the selection process. The same thing with the decisions you make about your body. No one could judge whether it's too soon or not soon enough. Don't play that game with yourself. It's like a lose lose scenario. If you're into this person and you want to go for it, he's not gonna not want to be with you because of that scenario. But trust yourself, realizing what are the boundaries that if the next day you're gonna have major regrets and it's gonna set you so back emotionally and then it's not worth it.
Speaker 2: I think you move to that too quickly because I think that that's what does happen. I think that it does feel good and you want to do it, and you think it's great, and the next day you don't know why the person didn't call. It could have been you could have been the best sex they ever had in their life. But they are getting back together with their ex gral Funk cause they called in the middle of the night, like there could be a thousand things that happened.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. You don't know what it is, and it doesn't mean it's because you were intimate with that person.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The question is if you could handle the heat, go for it. If you can't, don't do it, because it's gonna set yourself up emotionally too much for setback, and that's not fair to do yourself or to the next person that you're with, because then you're gonna say you're gonna react to the last person that didn't call you because of that action. It might have no nothing to do with you.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that women want an unwritten contract from a guy that if they sleep with them, that guy's gonna call them and like be very interested in their dating. And that's the thing I think people have to first break it down even further and say, like, there are no guarantees I'm sleeping with this man because I want to sleep with this man.
Speaker 3: There's no guarantees in life about anything.
Speaker 2: Right, So he's not gonna be my boyfriend, he's not dating me, he doesn't have to call me nowhere, he owes me nothing.
Speaker 1: But what we're doing right now.
Speaker 3: Contract is with yourself, because there's no way that you have control over anyone's actions, what they do tomorrow. So you have to realize, Okay, how do I feel the next day? Even if he calls you, You're still gonna be insecure to say, is it's gonna matter now? Is it expected? Each time? I mean, there's always, That's what I'm saying. Sometimes the beautiful brains we overthink. The biggest the most important advice I would say is just enjoy every day. Don't get so ahead where you're playing games in your mind, where you're creating, manufacturing issues that don't exist. The way to cast a spell on someone is just to be your happy, authentic self. Guys, love people that are interesting, interested, living wonderful lives and a healthy self esteem, and just lead with that and everything will the right person will present themselves